Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Monday back from New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Everybody made it safely in here, Fritzy Seaton, Marv Paul yours truly, it's Monday. So best and worst of the weekend which you saw that you liked you didn't like. We'll talk to Lewis Riddick of the Mothership.
Speaker 2: He'll join us coming up.
Speaker 3: As the Eagles blow out the Chiefs to win Super Bowl fifty nine, here's Andy Reid on what he saw from the Philadelphia Eagles defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Vic does a nice job with that defense. They played well. They've got good players and a good scheme and they executed better than what we did. Coach better, Charson May and they played better.
Speaker 3: It's almost like Andy Reid is getting a Hall passed today. Now, yes, he should blame himself because I still the play calling to me was baffling. And granted, Andy Reid is forgot and more football than I know, but still you're going, how about you run? I mean, the Eagles continued to run Saquon Barkley. He wasn't getting yardage, but they still had to have that reminder of we got to stop Saquon Barkley. And yes, they were saying go ahead and beat us. To Jalen Hurts, I thought that maybe they were saying to Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid, let's see if you can run the football on us. It's almost like we'll let you get yardage with us. We're not going to let you beat us. So here you had a defense with Philadelphia saying we're not going to let Mahomes beat us. Kansas City was saying we're not going to let Saquon Barkley beat us. The Eagles made better adjustments here. Now were they a better team? Yes, they were a better team. And we talked about this during the week and I said, if there's going to be a blowout, it'll be Philadelphia over Kansas City because they have so much firepower. But did I think in that moment, game on the line, Mahomes with the ball. Yes, it just never got to that point Philadelphia that that defense they dictated what Philadelphia did and really embarrassed them. They didn't blitch one time. Six sacks, three turnovers. That's impressive. I mean, that's that the totality of the Philadelphia Eagles was on display and very, very impressive. Here's Jalen Hurts, the Eagles quarterback.
Speaker 5: It's been a long journey.
Speaker 6: It's been a journey of ups and downs and highs and lows, and I've always stayed true to it in the end and having his vision of just being the best that I can be, and that evolving over time into his desire and his flame inside to win. And you don't do great things without the guys around you, the effort, the word, always leaning on that, trusting in that and trusting the process and staying the course and sticking to the script.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did a great job.
Speaker 3: Now, the first interception was bad, and I don't know if there's a miscommunication or or he was worried about following through and hitting his hand on somebody's helmet who was coming up the middle. But other than that, he had a couple of big runs. He had seventy two rushing yards that broke the record of most rushing yards by a quarterback in a Super Bowl set by Jalen Hurds in Super Bowl fifty seven. He had seventy yards in that game. Go ahead, Marvin, start up a day, startup the day status the day, startup, the day Statup Day Day Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official training cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Good morning, you're watching on Peacock or you're listening iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio over four hundred cities that carry this program.
Speaker 2: Seaton. Poll question for hour three is going to be won. Let me update you on who had the worst night? That was our poll question.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh boy, yeah, okay, let's guess Marvin. I'll go to you who had the worst night of everybody? On our poll question? Patrick Mahomes, All right.
Speaker 7: Paul, our fans are going to vote for Nick right on this pole question, Todd Malmes.
Speaker 3: I was going to say Drake, but you have to know the beef between Kendrick Lamar and Drake, and I'm I'm going to say that he's not the favorite. I'm going to say this audience is going to say Nick Wright.
Speaker 8: Seaton, Nicholas right, currently in second, puplace, Oh, Drake currently in third. Patrick Mahomes running away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congratulations, Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Chris and Sacramento.
Speaker 3: Then we'll come up with the poll question for the final hour there seating All right, Chris, thanks for holding.
Speaker 9: Of course, thanks for taking my phone call. All I got to say I got the best of the weekend.
Speaker 10: Of course, Mike Burns went in.
Speaker 9: Then Fly Eagles Fly on the road to victory. Man, heck yeah, I love the way our defense played, and the MVP should have went to Nick Vangio. I don't know if you can give it to a devisit coordinator, but by far, Nick vic Fangio should have been the MVP. He had a tremendous game plan against Patrick Mahomes and they couldn't do anything. They were The Chiefs are a wobbly team all year, and it showed in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris.
Speaker 3: I don't think you could give it to a coordinator, but vic Fangio did a See. The thing is is he didn't need to do anything like I don't know if I could give it to you because she didn't do anything. Unless I go, man, that's a gutsy strategy. You're not going to blitz Patrick Mahomes. I don't think at any point did Tom Brady say, you know, Vic Fangio's dialing something up, because he didn't. Uh, you know, Spags was dialing thing up, but not Big Fangio. Yes, Marvin, No, you took the words out of my mouth completely agree Sewn and Oregon Hi sean best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 11: Thanks thanks for taking my call, Dan Hey. The best of the weekend was getting to see Hube Brown for one last time and listening to him and dropping knowledge, and you know, after everything he's done for basketball and everything, that was a great tribute they did for him in Milwaukee where he got to start in the NBA as an assistant. And I think over the worst of the weekend is you know another guy that's just he's had turned eighty two this summer and they had that tribute for Jimmy Johnson, and nobody's reading into that this is probably his last last time the Super Bowl is broadcaster Yep. I really don't think he's coming back.
Speaker 9: Rob.
Speaker 3: I don't know. He talked about one more year. I saw him at dinner on Friday night. He still looks great, But I don't know. I don't like Terry Bradshaw, I think is going to do a few more years. They're trying to get that pregame show a little younger, bringing in Edelman. I mean they have a few pieces. Gronk is in there as well. You know what, Gronk sometimes will say some really interesting things. But I think the way that he's kind of bought into the Gronk character, it takes away from when he's going to give you, you know, a true opinion knowledge, good points, because you're still kind of waiting for him to be like Gronk. Yeah, and he's got that pizza commercial where he's like, you know, so he's got this character and it hurts his credibility only because you're so used to him being goofy and he was making really good points, but you still you hear him and you're like, I'm waiting for him to say something funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're totally.
Speaker 7: Right, because Gronk has been there in every sense, winning, losing, And if you just transcribe what he says, he's got good points on the defense and offense. But it's almost like watching Tom Hanks and Big. It's like a child in a man sized body, the way he talks like Big two.
Speaker 2: Zach in Knoxville, Zach in Knoxville, Hey.
Speaker 9: Zach.
Speaker 10: ADP thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 12: Man kind of gonna switch gears here with what I was what y'all are talking about? Except for the eagle, I say, we saved the dynasty talk for the mothership, because I just get into a Super Bowl a couple of years ago and then winning this one. Let's pump the brakes on that. What I did want to ask you about is when you interviewed Dion last week and he said that Jerry Jones puts his team in the best position better than anybody in the league to win a Super Bowl each year. I was kind of surprised that you didn't push back on that a little bit, because I mean, even going back to last year, we can see what they didn't do to try to shure up that.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of things. You know, I had a time element.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of things I was trying to touch on with Dion because he loves Jerry. He's loved him, you know, because Jerry takes care of him, took care of him and even now bringing him in and consulting him and vice versa. But you're right, I mean, could I have pushed back to say he hasn't put his team, Yeah, absolutely, But I think I was more focused on his son, the role that he's going to play. Those were more important and those were the ones that got headlines.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I could have pushed back. I did push back when he was saying, you know that.
Speaker 3: I'd be critical or we would be critical of his son if he ran the ball, and I said that's not the case, and he got he was feisty. He came in in a feisty mood and I said, look, I criticized. You know, I've talked about Josh Allen like I was once again getting in the weeds here of how I was interviewing him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Could I have pushed back? Yeah? Should I?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably, But that wasn't what my agenda was.
Speaker 3: It was more of just the draft and the role that he's going to play, because I do think that that's the pertinent part of this. We all know that Jerry hasn't done a good job. Mark in California, Hi, Mark, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: What up?
Speaker 14: Bub Hey? Question for you? And forgive me, I'm channeling my inner Polly or Seaton. I don't know who's more snarky. But the question I have for you is all possible, full question. Who had the better or worse night? Travis Kelcey for obvious reasons or Jason Kelsey for missing it by one year and being just a bit outside and then Dan, with your inner generosity that you're famous for. Is it too late to offer a full sale university full ride scholarship to Tom Brady?
Speaker 2: Now that's snarky. Thank you, Mark, thank you.
Speaker 3: I would encourage Tom, and I'm sure there he's got a ton of people around him to be honest. There were times when I did this radio show at the Mothership I needed.
Speaker 2: People to be honest with me.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a good show, and it took a long time before I think I got that feedback. Tom needs to be aggressive. He needs to act, not react. I need a little more Romo in him or Collinsworth. You need to be into it. Tell me what you're seeing in real time now. I don't want to hear after the fact. And I think that's what Tom really needs. You got to be aggressive. Don't wait to be set up by Kevin burkhard. Go get it. Be into it as you would be when you played. I need you to announce the way you played when you run out and go, you know, let's bleep and go. Let that's what I want to don't try to sound great, look great, be great. There are times Okay, I'll use this analogy Let's say you see a painting, you're like, boy, that's impressive, and then you see all the paint splattered all over the place in paint brushes and it's on you know, the artist.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what that is.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be messy at times, but be aggressive, go after it. Give me a heads up before something happens, not after it happens. And sometimes you didn't even offer after it happens. But you got a great play by play guy who was setting you up. But you need to uphold your end of the bargain. You gotta be aggressive and go after things.
Speaker 7: Yes, PAULI, I've been thinking about this and I think Fox is partially responsible for the criticism of Brady. Brady was supposed to start at Fox as their lead broadcaster last year. If he had done so, his first season would have not ended up with him calling the Super Bowl. It would have been a nice, clean, rookie season of good football. He would have got critiqued. This would have been year two. Imagine him calling the Super Bowl in his second year. I'll bet you be drastically different. Fox. Let him take that gap year or whatever word you want to use, and that set Tom up to be over criticized this year. In a Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Year, I would have had him split time between being in the studio and then calling a couple of games and just get kind of immersed in everything that goes on there, you know, with the pregame show with all the analysts there. Let me see if they bring out the best in you go out and do a couple of games. But he really needs to attack, you know, Troy Aikman has become really good because he doesn't like he broadcasts the game like he doesn't really care from the standpoint, I'm going to say what I feel. And he's become a better broadcaster because of that. But it took Troy a while. You're so cognizant of what you're saying, how you're saying, how's it going to be interpreted? Are they still going to be my friends? Are players going to be upset or coach is going to be up Either do the job or don't do the job. Because you're going to be an owner with the Raiders and you're not going to try to be pretty when you do that.
Speaker 2: Whatever it takes to win. This is a different, This is something different.
Speaker 3: You're trying to win at But you have to be aggressive and if you're not, then you're always going to be after the fact. Give me something that I just saw and that's not a great broadcaster, and I'm going to guess you want to be a great broadcaster. We'll take a break. Coming up, we'll talk to Lewis Riddick and the Mothership. More phone calls as well. We'll take a break. Oh, I just got word that the actor Kevin Bacon, big Eagles fan, is going to join us on the program tomorrow. I think he even wrote a song a while ago. Does that sound right, Todd.
Speaker 15: Yeah, he was involved with some anthem a few years back, I think around twenty eighteen when they were in the Super Bowl a few years back, and he was part of that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 15: I don't know if he volunteered or they went to him and said, hey, can you help us put something together?
Speaker 3: Okay, So he wrote an anthem dedicated to the team's hometown called It's a Philly Thing. Yeah, something like that. So the actor Kevin Bacon will be on the program tomorrow. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk line up in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 16: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 17: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 16: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 17: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 16: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 17: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 16: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up.
Speaker 17: As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 16: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Hobe known Rich wherever you get your podcasts and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: A couple of phone calls, then we'll hear from Lewis Riddick. He was on the call with Chris Fowler and Dana Orlofsky. They did the Super Bowl for the audience in Australia and New Zealand. David in Denver joins us, Hi, David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 9: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 13: I'm Travis Kelcey. I'm scoring sixes on and off the field. I don't really think that he should be a consideration for being on the rushmore of tight ends. Last night there was two. There's back to back sacks and if you look at those back to back sacks, they were given up by Travis Kelcey. He doesn't block. He's a great receiver and I respect that, but he got a block.
Speaker 2: And if you're a tight end, well, not all tight ends block.
Speaker 3: Not everybody's George Kittle, but uh, Travis kelce will go down in history as one of the greatest tight ends, if not the best tight end. Lewis Riddick of the Mothership College Football, NFL analyst and former front office exec with the Washington and Philadelphia. You don't get a Super Bowl ring though this time around, right with the Eagles. They don't give it to you.
Speaker 18: No, man, I'm good, but I'll tell you what they earned one last night, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: When did you know that this like the tempo of the game or the style of the game, that's the way it was going to be through the entirety of it.
Speaker 10: He got the feeling early on Dan that Patrick wasn't quite on it.
Speaker 18: He didn't have his best stuff on the first series when he missed he missed Travis on a little zone route coming over the middle where he had found the zone board and he kind of missed him through the ball behind him. You were like, Okay, he doesn't look like he's quite in sync, but you know, there's a lot of game left to go.
Speaker 10: And I think in the second.
Speaker 18: Quarter when it was when on the back to back interceptions on the pick six by Cooper de Gene and then on the Nick Mike Zach, that's when you knew that the pressure was really something that was bothering Patrick a lot.
Speaker 10: And Joe Toney didn't have it.
Speaker 18: They they really had a very very very detailed plant as far as how they wanted to rst Patrick, and it was all about outside pressure, constricting the pocket, the two interior defensive tackles, making sure you just push the pocket.
Speaker 10: With power and don't give him an area to step up.
Speaker 18: And they were constricting that pocket so fast you could clearly see that. When Patrick typically would step up and find the lane to throw the football, like he's done all year long, his eyes have to be down the field, and eveund know where all five eligibles were.
Speaker 10: When he stepped up in this.
Speaker 18: Pocket, his eyes were looking at Worth's jail and Carter Worth. Milton Williams, I'm not really worried about who's downfield.
Speaker 10: I'm worried about trying to survive this thing.
Speaker 18: But I think those back to back interceptions, that's when you knew the game was over at that point right there.
Speaker 3: Okay, but where is the genius of Andy Reid here? You know, I know Mahomes will get a lot of blame here. They didn't do anything really different to counteract a defense that wasn't even blitzing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think the problem was this.
Speaker 18: One and they didn't try to run the football against the team that wasn't really loading the box and was inviting you to run simply because they felt as though the fact that they don't blitz a lot and they were going to rush forward that they would have five maybe six in protection, that they would be able to handle it.
Speaker 10: And they never really got.
Speaker 18: Off of that, despite the fact that their offensive line was shown we're not handling it. And they thought that Patrick would be the equalizer like he has been all season long, that he would be able to manage the pressure because he's so good in the pocket. But this was at a different speed, this is at a different tempo, and you know what, sometimes even great players like Patrick Mahomes are just don't have their best stuff dan and he didn't have it.
Speaker 10: He just didn't. The defense hung in there, They hung in there, they hung in there.
Speaker 18: They obviously made a concerted effort to make sure Saquan didn't get going. And they said, Jalen Hurts, you're gonna have to beat us, and Jalen Hurts said, perfect, I'll beat you then, and see then what wound up happening is I just think the whole team got fatigued mentally and physically and to the point where it was like the offense knew that we can't block these guys, and the defense was like the offense can't move the ball. We're doing everything we can to shut down one of the best players in the league, but now we can't really rush the passer because we're in run stop mode and it's just all fed on itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of It's like when a pitcher doesn't have his best stuff, but he still goes out there and he's trying to fool you a little bit, trying to trick you a little bit, and then after a while they weren't fooling anybody. The fact that, like, I can't even give Vic Fangio credit because he didn't he didn't do anything other than say to his guys, let's don't do anything.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Remember remember when Seattle beat Denver like that, when Denver was highly favorite and gave out the Super Bowl that was up in New York, and you hear quarterbacks talk a lot about the fact that sometimes they get tricked in the feelings, Oh, you know what, this game is not going to be that tough because these teams aren't very difficult and Seattle wasn't very difficult.
Speaker 10: Figure out from a schematic standpoint, the.
Speaker 18: When you start playing, I mean, you realize that it may be simplistic in terms of its structure, but the speed and the ferocity with which they play it overwhelms you. Kansas City for the first time since well, dang, since maybe Patrick Mahomes became a starter in twenty eighteen, outside of the Super Bowl in twenty twenty when they lost to Tampa Bay, that's the first time I've really seen that team look overwhelmed to where they look like an inferior football team. Yeah, and that's what I mean. And Vic, you know what we were talking about on TV this morning. Vick was sitting up there in that box looking down at that field, going, I don't need to send anymore.
Speaker 10: I don't need to do anything. I'm just gonna unlease my big dog and let them go.
Speaker 18: And you know what, when it's like that, then sometimes football is just that simple. Bigger, faster, stronger guys who are more ticked off beat guys who aren't as big and as fast as strong.
Speaker 10: And that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Talking to Lewis Riddick of the Mothership, he was on the call with Chris dan Orlovsky for the fans in Australia and New Zealand last night when it was seventeen to nothing, and I thought, Okay, Mahomes will get a touchdown, go into halftime, regroup, come back out, you get the ball second half, and then all of a sudden it doesn't happen that way, And I thought, okay, what adjustments do you make at halftime? And I'm still waiting to see what adjustments were you going to make against the Egings. I mean that to me baffled at me more than anything I think last night.
Speaker 18: Yeah, they came out early in the second half, do you remember, and they tried to run the ball. They got maybe five or six, and you're kind of thinking, okay, well, maybe they'll try and mix it up a little bit. Maybe it won't be past past past, maybe they'll run it on first, maybe screen it on second, maybe try and run play action on first, maybe screen it on first down. But they went right back to what they wanted to do, which they felt as though, and I look and I understand it. They felt as though they had enough cover, two cover four beaters and two of the routes that they had that if they could just get enough protection, Patrick would be able to find find a way to move the ball down in the field and score because he's done it to everyone. But the neutralizer, the great neutralizer, the great equalizer, was the fact that the four guys up front just would not allow it to happen.
Speaker 2: They just wouldn't.
Speaker 10: And you know, one of the things I.
Speaker 18: Always say in scouting, that has always been said to me is when you make two moves to fix one problem, it's usually gonna end bad. When there's a team that can really exploit the fact that you made two moves to fix one, moving Joe Tooney to left tackle and then inserting a backup and left guard. That's two moves to fix one at left tackle, a premium position. Going up against a team like Philly, They're not gonna let you get away with that.
Speaker 10: They're just not.
Speaker 18: And and then you know, Teddy Bruski made a great point this morning, and I noticed it when it happened on the field, but Teddy articulating it perfectly. Remember when Milton Williams strip sacked Patrick and then you saw Jalen Carter basically just slap him right in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 18: Well, number one, I was concerned that Patrick may have hurt his elbow because the way he got stripped, But it was a blatant hands that a face headshot from Jalen Carter that to me said this team was ticked off. This team wanted to send a message, and the message they were going to send was we're going to literally beat you up because we're bigger, we're.
Speaker 10: Faster, and we're stronger. And that's something that Brett Feach is going to have to come to grips with.
Speaker 18: And I'm sure last night he was thinking, you know what, for as great as we've been, as many games as we've won in, as great as Patrick is, the fact of the matter is we had a blind spot maybe exposed last night, which is we have to have guys who Andy Reid doesn't have to be perfect, Patrick doesn't have to be perfect, Spags.
Speaker 10: Doesn't have to be perfect.
Speaker 18: We need more of that physical element that Philadelphia obviously has.
Speaker 10: And can rely on.
Speaker 3: We likened it to Mahomes. You know, he took a hit last night literally figuratively with his legacy. But it's like when got knocked out by Buster. Yeah, when Ronda Rowsey got knocked out all of a sudden, that era of invincibility. Now, we saw a little bit of that in the Tampa loss in the Super Bowl, but this is one of those where, hey, Mahomes with the ball game on the line, you know that's who you want. That's two blowout losses in the super Bowl on his resume. How big of a hit do you think it that he took last night?
Speaker 10: Knowing Patrick, knowing the people who know Patrick like they do. I don't think.
Speaker 18: I don't think it'll be something where you know, like when you're talking about like a rond of Rowsey type situation where you know a fighter is on the decline or clearly they just don't have it anymore.
Speaker 10: Patrick still has it. But the cool, the cool thing about this is that this is.
Speaker 18: A team game and clearly he can't get it done just all on his own. Twice now when he's gotten blown out in the super Bowl and gotten beat up in the super Bowl, it's been because Dolphins.
Speaker 10: The line has just caved in. This caves are like unrelenting pressure.
Speaker 18: Think about Philadelphia last year, how they exited the playoffs and how you're looking at Jalen Hurts last year and you're sitting there going this team's done this team's not.
Speaker 10: They're not.
Speaker 18: They're not the powerhouse in nantacy. And in one year with the way in which they were able to fortify the offensive line, get sa Quon Barkley and a defense and change over the defensive side of the ball with Vic Fangio, and next thing you know, Jalen Carter's becoming.
Speaker 10: An absolute freak.
Speaker 18: And they get two rookies like Quinnon Mitchell and Cooper Dezine, and now they're looking like a team like people are going, no, they're never gonna lose again. They're never gonna lose again. You'll they'll be able to fix this. But Brett has to go to work and it can't just be about Andy's genius in Patrick's you know, ability to always pull it out in the end, which we've all become kind of drunk with. We've all become like this intoxicated by because the guy is a once in a generation player. But what he's showing you is that this is still the ultimate team game. And when you brought up against a team that's evenly matched or even better than you physically, all the schemes and plague falls and shovel passes and they'll look passes in the world ain't gonna work because football is still like what Phil Parcels and Belichick and every other old school coach talks about. It's about imposing your will in another person. And Philly imposed their will on Kannessey last night to the point where it looked like eighty five Bears versus New England Patriots in that same stadium.
Speaker 10: It was like, you have no shots. You can't even move the fall. I mean, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 18: I was, I was in all I mean, my jaw was hitting the floor, sitting there doing They can't they can't do anything. That is not how any of us thought that would happen, besides maybe the people in Philadelphia in that locker room Lewis.
Speaker 3: They poured the gatorade with three minutes left. That has to be about the earliest gatorade poll. If that was a fight a heavyweight, they would have stopped that they no doubt, they would have stopped hitting the third quarter and they would have.
Speaker 2: Said, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Most curious player decision in the off season with anybody, whether it's Russell Wilson or Sam Darnold or Aaron Rodgers, who or what are you most curious about in the offseason.
Speaker 18: I'm curious about really, you know about, let's see, where does Miles Garrett end up and does Cleveland actually let him go?
Speaker 10: Do they actually say you know?
Speaker 18: Because you know, obviously Andrew Berry has said that he's not a guy who I want to trade. I'm not gonna trade him. But where does he go? And does he Is he a missing piece for a team? Is he a missing piece for a team like Detroit?
Speaker 10: Is he a team? Is he a guy who like a team like Kansas City?
Speaker 18: Quite honestly, they need a guy like that, they need a closer like that. Where does he wind up going? Because outside a quarterback Remiam pass rushers who are like on the verge of doing historic things rushing the past or don't hit the market, they usually don't get moved.
Speaker 10: And so Miles is.
Speaker 18: Going to be one of the biggest stories of the all season and the only reason why it's probably not bigger is because of the fact that he plays for Cleveland right now and nobody cares about Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you worked in the front office of two NFL teams. Yeah, if you worked in the Browns front office, you're the GM and Miles Garrett says, he wants to be traded knowing what you need for your team, and but you don't want to be the guy who traded him away.
Speaker 2: What would you do with that situation?
Speaker 18: That situation has so many other tentacles, because you know, I just get to feeling Andrew Berry's not doing anything in a vacuum and he's being told what to do. But I would strongly suggest to the people who ultimately make that decision, if it wasn't just all mine on my own, I would say, hey, look, we need to consider moving him, okay, because we need a lot, we need help. And as much as that sucks, because he's one of the greatest players in the history of this franchise, we have to move him. And it's why, honest I would I would then want to have another conversation Dan, which is how we gotten to the point where a guy who we drafted and we developed here in house, who is beloved in Cleveland all of our fan base can't blame that.
Speaker 10: They don't blame him. They would say they would want out too.
Speaker 18: How have we How have we gotten to the point where our best players don't want to stay here anymore?
Speaker 10: Like that's it.
Speaker 18: That's an even bigger issue for them that I don't know. Maybe Jimmy has them, wants to have those conversations. Maybe he doesn't, but he needs because if he doesn't, good luck getting a new stadium. Good luck getting you know, good luck getting that fan based to rally behind you when you're alienating a guy who was truly, you know, one of the best pass rushers that this game has ever seen.
Speaker 3: Safe travels back. Thanks for joining us the entire season. Always appreciate your insights.
Speaker 10: Of course, man, you bet anytime.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's Lewis Riddick of the Mothership and he was on the call with Chris Fowler Dan Orlovsky for the fans in Australia. In New Zealand, I don't know why they need a separate feed for that, Like, couldn't they just take Tom Brady and Kevin Burkhart. I don't know how that works unless so does ESPN have the feed to New Zealand In Australia. Therefore they hire their own announcers for this that they can't take the Fox broadcast or they don't want to.
Speaker 2: I guess, yes, PAULI.
Speaker 7: Think about your question. Is there any chance that brought podcast is not dumb down but more palatable for an international audience that maybe doesn't know football as well. I can't think of any other reason.
Speaker 3: No, those guys are all hardcore. I can't I mat Orlowski and Lewis with Fowler. That has to be something contractual with ESPN having the rights to it, therefore they have to But I guess they're still taking Fox's broadcast the coverage of the game, but they're the ones that doing the play by play in the color.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: James in Virginia, James, welcome back, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 19: Oh thanks for taking my call, brother Havy Monday Dvdane, Salute the Commanders man, and what a crazy ending to the NFL season. I felt like it was the nineteen nineties again, man watching the blowout. Couldn't believe what I was watching. I think we can put to bed who is the fifth best quarterback and he might even be the second best quarterback in the NFL with Mahomes, Burrow, Jackson, Allen Jalen Hurks has completely surprised me this year his ability to throw the ball down the field, especially in key moments of the football game. His calmness has definitely, in my opinion, elevated him into the top five quarterbacks in the NFL. And you know, I'm a Jayden guy all the way. But what a game last night by Jalen hurt I think the biggest stat that blew me away last night after the game that I saw was he's only the second quarterback in NFL history in the Super Bowl that has two passing plus touchdowns, a rushing TD and fifty plus yards. And I guess the thing that blew me away the most, look he shared that with Joe Montana. And when you're in a category with Joe Montana, you're definitely in the upper echelon. I can't believe I'm talking this good about Philly Man. But what a performance last night.
Speaker 3: Okay, would you James, would you rather have Jalen Hurts or Jaden Daniels?
Speaker 19: Oh No, I got a ride with five Man. You know, fine, Washington have been waiting so long for a guy like five Man and Jayden Fi it's certainly alive and I can't wait to Washington better go after Garrett Man, because I think one thing is true last night that you saw. If you do not invest in your offense and defensive line. You really, man, the game changes for you, and Philly's offense and defensive line control that game NonStop in front of Batman. So definitely got to focus on those two key points man, but got a ride with five man Jam and five for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, James. We'll take a break. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow? Also this day in sports history.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: A couple more phone calls before we close up shop on this Monday. Big Eagles fan actor Kevin Bacon will join us tomorrow. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. How about this day in sports history, Pauline, what do you have for us?
Speaker 7: Just a couple for you? Nineteen twenty Major League Baseball outlaw pitches that involved tampering with the ball. Before that, you could do spitballs, you could cut it, you could do whatever, shine balls. They called it all different things. And the umpire has had no authority to throw it out of the game. And let's see, Oh, nineteen sixty one, the AFL's Los Angeles franchise was transferred to San Diego.
Speaker 3: Nineteen sixty nine, Pete Marriage had sixty nine points. LSU lost to Tulane one oh one to ninety four. Wasn't it last week where we had Maravich scoring forty seven points in the second half of a game against Alabama. I think he had sixty nine points. Twice without a three point shot, he would have had seventy five points probably at least, because that's mind boggling. Sixty nine points. He had forty seven in the second half the game against Alabama. Alrighty, final results of the poll question there, see Noel Connor.
Speaker 8: That that's kind of like, I'm just going to take care of this myself kind of moment real quick. Okay, let's see who had the worst night, Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelsey, and Taylor Swift, Tom Brady the broadcaster, we have Fox Graphics team, We've got a million options for you here. Forty six percent of that vote as Patrick Mahomes, followed by Nick Wright, who was then just ahead of Drake.
Speaker 20: Okay, so Drake went to New Zealand or Australia. Yeah, I think he's I think he's somewhere old. I mean he was literally figuratively down under like I was on tour Andrew and Grand Rapids. Hi, Andrew, it's on your mind today?
Speaker 21: Hey guys, five to eleven one eighty. Just wanted to put my two cents in. I thought the halftime show was actually pretty poor. It was a good performance for like a concert if you're going to Kendrick. I mean, I'm a Kendrick fan, but I thought it was very played down for as greater performances as we've had on Super Bowls. And I couldn't help but think with Drake's catalog of music, he had to have been watching that going. Man, I would have done a better show than Kado. Just want to know what you guys thought on that. I didn't think it was as big a hit as I think. That song's a little a little played out of late, So let me know what you guys think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was played for Kendrick Lamar's fan base.
Speaker 3: It wasn't played for a large crowd that was that was like focused and I'm surprised the NFL let him do it that way. But he was definitely performing that for his fan base, for his crowd. He wasn't playing, you know, nationally. I don't think he even cared about that. It was for Los Angeles and it was you know, for his fan base. Yeah, yeah, like right.
Speaker 2: I get the sense that Kendrick Lamar was like doing it.
Speaker 8: It was more important to in the culture right and doing it for the culture rather than mass appeal by people who buy and large. If you don't already know him and you're not already a fan, chances are he's not gonna win you over that night anyway. So I can he can quadruple down on everything that has already made him great, and the people that love him are gonna love him even.
Speaker 2: More for it. Yes, Yes, that he stayed true.
Speaker 3: He was him one hundred percent. Yeah, he didn't cave in and hey, we want you to play these songs. He was like, I'm gonna play my songs. But when Serena came out, that was where I went.
Speaker 9: Damn.
Speaker 3: He not putting his feud to bed anytime soon with Drake because Drake dated Serena. You imagine that phone call, Kendrick calling up Serena. Hey girl, you want to get back at Drake? Well, yeah, how all right, I'm gonna have you come on during a song I'm in And it was like eight seconds where she's on TV and it happens so quickly. It's like, wait, is that Stree That looked like Sereno Walls? But uh, I respect the fact that he's on and who he was playing to and he was not going to change.
Speaker 2: I respect it. It wasn't for me, but I I like the performance.
Speaker 3: Music not for me, but I do respect the people who I admire who love music, no music, so I respect their opinions of it and what he does and how he does it. And I like a good feud, but I don't even know if it's a feud anymore. It feels like it's really it was like the Eagles against the Chiefs. Kendrick was the Eagles last night? Yes, yes, Marv, Yeah, that was kind of like bullying last night.
Speaker 2: It was like we won the fight.
Speaker 22: I got a chain that's a lowercase A, which means a minor in the entire state thing. I like most people, they probably don't know kids like my wife, she doesn't know that many kind Lamar songs. But she was ready for not like us.
Speaker 2: She's like, this isn't nice to Drake Todd in South Carolina Hide Todd DP hey two to.
Speaker 5: Ten actually lived in Western Australia for four years and Perth and uh there's pretty much only one cable company and it's heavily, heavily regulated. So my guess is ESPN probably has the rights to spream exclusively in the country in New Zealand, so instead of bringing the flocks people over, they have to bring their own ESPN people over.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you Todd.
Speaker 3: It's uh I think it's another uh money resource there, Todd.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're hearing.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's what it sounds like they have.
Speaker 9: They have.
Speaker 15: There's just another tentacle and they can just kind of go in that direction and you can make some more money that way.
Speaker 3: Okay, what a shocker the NFL would come up with another way of making more money. Sure, all right, thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support on the program.
Speaker 2: Let's go around room. If we look, the.
Speaker 8: NFL has done such a good job of making money that their biggest event of the year. There's a massive part of the population, including football fans, who can't wait for the commercials. That's how good they are at making money that we're brainwashing to thinking, I can't.
Speaker 2: Wait for the commercial.
Speaker 3: Let's see what Coca Cola does this year. Were there was there a commercial that stood out to anybody last night? Marvin the Pringles commercial with James Harden. I like that, Yeah, yeah, any other one that stood out. There's a weird one where seal was a seal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was upsetting. That was creepy.
Speaker 14: Great.
Speaker 8: There was another one too, where somebody was doing something with their tongue that was very unsettling.
Speaker 2: I did not care for either of those. Yeah, yep, yep, yep, yeah, Pully.
Speaker 7: I think the old school fans Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal Helmets fun cue right one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd, What did you learn today?
Speaker 7: Bill Coward doesn't like the tush push.
Speaker 15: It's not a strategical play.
Speaker 12: It's rugby.
Speaker 3: If they take away the player be huh, the quarterback, then I think they're gonna at keep it in the game, because then it would just be a quarterback sneak.
Speaker 2: Seaton, What about you? What did you learn today? It could be some changes coming in the off season. Marvin, what did you learn? You wanted the chief to run more?
Speaker 19: I did?
Speaker 2: Wait, it sounded what's wrong with my voice? Paulie? What did you learn today?
Speaker 7: Nick Wright may join us tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I'm I don't know about that. Right, he's a little stung. I would imagine Fritzy. What did I learn?
Speaker 15: Lewis rid access for the first time since Patrick Mahomes became a star of the Chiefs looked like an overwhelmed inferior team.
Speaker 2: What we learned brought to you by Keeper's Heart.
Speaker 3: New and unique style of whiskey combines the best of Irish and American whiskies, creating a smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskies. If you're a whiskey fan, you gotta try it. Drink responsibly. Thanks for joining us, Thanks for the phone calls, the tweets, emails, all around support.
Speaker 2: We'll try to do better tomorrow. Have a great day, everybody,