Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Christopher Verona is with us, working with Jason Trenet at strtigas. He is definitive on trend based technical analysis. As many of you know. I'm comfortable with that versus the catching a knife in the dark approach. Chris, I got eight ways to go here, but I got a first go to price up, yield down. Is it a critical pro level that the tenure yield is through four percent?
Speaker 3: I don't think it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's just look back at the last three years. We've effectively been between three seventy five and four fifty tenure yields for three years. We've had this very unsatisfying call on yields. At the only correct call it's no call. And I'm kind of still in that camp here. You know, under three seventy five my antenna would start to go up more than you know, maybe something's really starting to change.
Speaker 3: But you know, Frankly, Tom, it's more curve shape right now than it is anything. And you have this little subtle flattener.
Speaker 2: It's Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we're.
Speaker 2: Going into the weekend sweets finding California. You're supposed to say.
Speaker 3: OMG, it's like a huge deal.
Speaker 5: So we've seen Chris, you know, boy of rotation in the equity markets here. You know, the growth has definitely taken it on the chin a little bit here at some of the software socks and things like that. Some of the industrials and small midcaps have been working here. Is that a short term trade or is that something bigger?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 4: I think this is a big right, of course, we know that we don't know right, but our hunch is that this is a big deal. And it didn't begin four weeks ago or eight weeks ago. I mean this began back in September October when you look at when like equal weights started to really outperform the cues. I think this is early early days in what is a trend that will define not just the remainder of the year, but kind of the years to come. Here, I think this is the transition in our call has been the transition from kind of the speculative corners of the market to the real economy or the old economy. I think that's well underway. It's ongoing, and I would expect it to continue moving forward.
Speaker 3: You were pretty much thlu to the earnings. Most of the SEPO five hundred companies have reported earning. Show what have you seen? Is it enough to support this market?
Speaker 2: Here? Do you think? Well?
Speaker 4: I think earnings are grown in something like twelve thirteen percent year over year. Here when you look at yesterday's response to Nvidia, I think even more evidence in this regard. I mean stock clothes on the lows right down five or six percent, advantures overwhelmed decliners. Yesterday, more stocks up than down despite NASDAK down nearly two percent. Fourth day this year, where you've had the nasdck down at least one percent, yet more stocks up than down. That only happened three times all of last year. So you kind of see this average stock over the index continuing to proliferate.
Speaker 2: Chris's people, folks sent me the strtiguous deck on all this, and like we could literally talk to him for three ending the jump movie see in Chinese. You want now, let's stay on software stacks, because that's what everybody's focused on. You talk about a high volume reversal, is it catharsis.
Speaker 3: Where you load the boat. I don't think you load the boat.
Speaker 4: I think you cover your shorts if you're on the short side of the story here. And you know when you look at what tends to show up in the ballpark of a bottom, one of the features is this indiscriminate selling and the acceptance of narrative.
Speaker 3: Right, So you have the indiscriminate selling.
Speaker 4: The last couple of weeks in software, I think eighty percent of them made a new low, only five percent above the two or day moving average. And then suddenly there's agreed upon narrative of why they're all down that generally is found.
Speaker 3: Late in the decline, not early in the decline.
Speaker 4: So I would be covering shorts if on the short side of the boat here, I might position tactically for some type of amounts.
Speaker 3: But has the trend changed?
Speaker 2: No, Good morning across the nation, Chris Verono. This we're going to continue with a good conversation. I got to drop in some of the data points. Paul Brench Crude seventy two, twenty five up Way over a stick seventy two point twenty five on global oil.
Speaker 3: Torchton SLocker a good friend over to pollow out with a note.
Speaker 5: This morning, the average daily US equity market turnover now exceeds one trillion dollars, driven by higher retail participation, more high frequency trading, and recent tech market volatility. What does that tell you when you're seeing, you know, just trading volumes pick up. I mean, people are in this market on both sides of the trade.
Speaker 3: Well Torson does great work, He's a close friend.
Speaker 4: I think the point is well took here that there is a lot going on under the surface for an index that really has gone nowhere for six months. I mean SMP is in one of the narrowest six months rains that we've seen in a long time, call up between sixty seven hundred and seven thousand. It doesn't tell half the story of what's played out under the surface here. I think the question here, as we move forward with ten yure yields back to the lower end of the range, can lower bond yields recatalyze the more cyclical corners of the market, and if they can't, and what is the message to the markets attempting to send us. Right, you started the year with all these anticipations and all this hope of some big cyclical recovery. If the cyclicals can't go, and when do we start to get more worried about that?
Speaker 2: What does Dan Clifton say about that? It's fatigus. You've got public policy down cold. Is this a nervous market looking forward to a nervous public policy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think if Dan was sitting here and we were with each other yesterday, we were talking about this idea we are every day hard to believe, you know, we were talking about this idea of that public policy. Fiscal policy is really in the gunnet mode here over the next number of months. So if the market's going to respect that, I think it's time we start seeing the discretionary names turn back up. I think it's time that we see, you know, a lot of those pro cyclical stocks really reclaim the baton of leadership.
Speaker 2: Moving forward, Right, We're going to go to London the end of this hour for Global Wall Street a brief on this MFS uproar London.
Speaker 3: Paul Us versus rest of the world.
Speaker 5: We saw in twenty twenty five while the US equity indises did very well. Many of the stock markets around the world did even better, and that's continuing in this year.
Speaker 3: How do you think about the US allocation versus rest of the world here?
Speaker 4: So I think that trend that began really in late twenty twenty four continues here and it continues.
Speaker 3: In a very big way.
Speaker 4: If you look at US market cap as a share of global market cap, that peaked in the fourth quarter of twenty four, So we're almost eighteen months into this, into this transition. Put aside the dollar considerations for a moment, and just look in the month of February. You have new highs in almost every global market. Where do you not have a new high? Triple QS, SMP Right, the price action is telling you the character of the global leadership has changed the character of.
Speaker 2: Your work is a logarithmic y axis, very careful moving averages. I use what are called climate exponential. Chris uses something different. We all got our own way. And what I see in your charts and you feature HSBC out of London. Yeah, on this it's remarkable, given the frantic nature, how things are still on trend. Yeah, if we've broken trend, if somebody listening with a four to oh one k they're going home this weekend. They're words that the Islanders beat the Montreal Canadians in the last minute. Should they be worried about trend in their retirement.
Speaker 4: No trends have been broken here, or no trends of any significance kind of at the index level have been broken, particularly globally.
Speaker 3: I mean, is that in the media.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, and the frenzy here is ridiculous, it's juvenile.
Speaker 3: I think it's remarkable.
Speaker 4: You know, when you look at all these things, there's almost this desire for some of these idiosyncratic episodes to become systemic.
Speaker 3: Like you can kind of sense it in the tone, particularly of the.
Speaker 4: Financial media here. Of course both of you are outstanding. It just gets the sense that there's this desire to almost repeat what we saw in seven o A big differences here. I think number one, the bank stocks globally in you know, really by six we're starting to send a very ominous message that's just not I mean, look at these European banks, look at the Japanese banks, they're still very much in trend, and I think public credit spreads are modestly wider here, but they're not exploding.
Speaker 3: I get the concern around private capital.
Speaker 4: I think there's more of that story than perhaps this kind of this kind of story that we're being told. I mean, think about the financial deregulation aspect of this. If we're going to deregulate money center banks, why would I want to own an Apollo or a KKR or an OWL when I can to own a Goldman or a Market Stanley or a Bank of America.
Speaker 3: I think that's part of the story here as well.
Speaker 5: So you mentioned the spreads. I mean, they're widening, but they're not blowing out. And that's what we've heard from bond folks that are saying, if the tech companies want to issue more paper, we'll take it. So is a bond market do they have a better handle on risk out there that maybe the equity markets do here?
Speaker 4: I think the demand, particularly in the high yield quarter of the debt market, remains pretty remarkable. This stuff gets just absorbed almost immediately as it comes to market. Widespreads again, while modestly wider, are not really blowing out here. I think the more difficult question is when you look at the kind of arc of the leadership over the last number of months with staples better with healthcare, with utilities?
Speaker 3: Is this the market messaging?
Speaker 4: Something more sinister from a defensive perspective is coming.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite there yet.
Speaker 4: I think healthcare the narrative will become, Hey, this is the beneficiary of AI. Look at all this drug discovery. That's where I think the puck is probably going on healthcare. Staples, for as good as they've been recently, actually have not turned in our work. They're still in a relative down trend. And in the spirit of trend following Tom, Staples are still a relative laggard over the longer term in this market.
Speaker 2: What's we're going to go here? But from the technical analysis that Chris and I do, Folks, is trend based versus catching the knife, and people love to try to catch the knife in the dark. How do you use moving averages? I see such a misuse nuts folks on the death Cross and the life Cross.
Speaker 3: If it were going up?
Speaker 2: Is it? What's it on? Don't know? Birth Cross? I don't know. How do you use moving averages?
Speaker 3: Tom?
Speaker 4: You remember how your mom probably said nothing good happens after midnight?
Speaker 3: Well, in our world, nothing good happens below downward sloping moving averages.
Speaker 4: Right, So if it's the two undre day moving average downward sloping, we just don't play. And it's tempting to want to catch niner, it's tempting to want to call loas. That's just not where the money's made in this business. The money is made in up trends. The money is made both from a volatility adjusting perspective. Okay, owning things with upward sloping movie brilliant.
Speaker 2: So let's get let's get the verone keen approach here, and have you talk about the software stocks. The only way you can really make money, folks, on a risk adjusted basis is an up market an up sector in an upstock. If the software stocks is Microsoft broken that maximum.
Speaker 4: So if you look at a very long term basis, Microsoft right now is hovering right near it's upward slope in two hundred week moving average. So this is kind of where the decline stopped both in twenty twenty two, which where it stopped in twenty eighteen. So you're in the zone where Microsoft is going to stabilize. It kind of has to happen here that is very different than many of its peers Workday Service now are in long term down trends, dose salesforce.
Speaker 2: To the cash of Microsoft.
Speaker 4: In the spirit of the same group, I would be very skeptical of bounces in that other quality of ste I'll get one more in there.
Speaker 2: But the key thing mister Varone said there, folks is is unit based weeks.
Speaker 3: Pros use weeks.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Louis Jamonta Las Sweety's one more with Christopher Varone.
Speaker 5: I'm going to just the Nasdaq with the tech heavy NASAC and I type in the RSI function in the Bloomberg terminal. You know it says, you know that that RSI function says we're over sold. If the indexes at thirty, we're overbought. If it's at seventy, we're at forty seven. Right smash in the middle of the NASDAK. I don't know what to do here.
Speaker 3: I don't I think tech traders don't know what to do here.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny, We've joked about this four time. I think overbought, oversold are the most misused terms in this business. Oversold, parish, overbought, bullish, right, things that get overbought against they overbought are your best trends, things that get oversold, No thanks, Yeah, particularly when you're oversold in weak trends.
Speaker 3: And you look at the NASDAK right now, it's.
Speaker 4: Probably the weakest of the major trends, and it's in kind of no man's land from a momentum standpoint. I believe as of last night, only about forty percent of the tech sector was above the TUTOR day moving average.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a very.
Speaker 4: Difficult place to expect that you're going to make consistent returns. I want to fish where the fish are most abundant. That's not with forty percent of issues above TUNA day.
Speaker 2: Don't be a stranger bringing Jason trendet is what Christopher Varone is with stratigis stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Speaking to her in the coming weeks here, particularly on IRAN. So this is the way it works, folks. We have teams. Paul and I don't really have a job. We sort of saunter in and you know, hang out, get a coffee, make jokes. We have people that work definitive on this crisis in London are Scott Carpenter, Donald Griffin and the leadership of Constantine Carculis. Constantine joins us off the desk at Queen Victoria Street this morning. He's in charge of Distressed Debt and cockroaches at Bloomberg Nation. I Constantine, first of all, congratulations on the impact of your reporting worldwide. If we look at Market Financial Solutions Limited, is there contagion?
Speaker 6: I mean, that's a big question. So far, we haven't seen any signs alow in the equity market. Some of these lenders definitely took a hit. I think Jeffreys was down as much as ten percent yesterday because they're exposed to a round one hundred million to this entity. Apollo also down five percent. It had lent around four hundred to this entity. Ya it secured credit vehicle Atlas. So yeah, there's already signs of Jeter's in the equity market, but not seeing this spreading to credit yet.
Speaker 2: I've done my amateur work on their chief executive officers sum reports. He slipped a dubai Paresh Raja. I hope I'm pronouncing that correctly. Who is Paresh Raja?
Speaker 7: Very good question. We don't know all that much about him.
Speaker 6: We have, I mean Bloomberg our colleagues, My colleagues have done an investigation on him back in two thousand and twenty four and showed that a group of firms that had tied tied to him, including MFS and another entity, Zirkon, lent money, lent money in relation to property deals to a former land minister in Bangladesh. So yeah, the story kind of starts back there. But yeah, we don't know other than the fact that he is the sole owner and officer in the sprawling empire of MFS and then this investigation back in twenty twenty four. Yeah, we don't know all that much about him, but that's something we're chasing.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about market financial solutions.
Speaker 5: So are these people and what part of the credit market do they play in?
Speaker 6: So they're a niche market mortgage lender, I suppose, So they kind of step in where traditional banks won't and they provide short term sort of bridging loans or other complex structures to help facilitate like maybe there's an entity that wants to sell a property and buy another, doesn't have the doesn't have the cash to do that immediately. That's what's called the bridging loan. So they to finance this, they borrowed vast amounts of money from traditional lenders on Wall Street, and then they're tasked with collecting, collecting payments, and.
Speaker 7: Servicing these these loans in a sense.
Speaker 6: So so that that's the business model. But what turns out the allegations are that a lot of this money that was supposed to be going back into the certain bank accounts went to other bank accounts. The court documents so far show that there's around two hundred million that kind of got channeled in the wrong place. And on top of that, and this is what makes it much more interesting is that it appears and the allegations are that there's been some double pledging of collateral.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, Constantika Koros so with us. We're going to continue with him with his public service, to his grease working with us at Bloomberg News. And I says earlier it was a joke, folks, He's not distressed debt and cockroach reporter. It was kidding, is well, consciously, how do you respond to James Diamond upset about the cockroaches mathematically or as a former Greek finance horse, how do you respond to that.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I'm in a position to respond to the Jamie Diamond, but you know, he does make a good point that look, I think, you know, the examples are adding up, right, First Brands, trickle Ore, now this right, So I feel that we're in the point in the cycle where, yeah, fraud is surfacing to the top, and people kind of push into corners of finance to get that extra return, and it's probably, in hindsight, looks like a bad idea for something.
Speaker 2: And Paul You turned to me and said, what about Jeffery's you know, first Brands, tricolor and now this next.
Speaker 3: Thing exactly constantine.
Speaker 5: I guess that kind of goes to the question of do we put this in this Oh it's just a one off, idiosyncratic thing, or is there something more broader here that people are concerned about?
Speaker 7: I think definitely.
Speaker 6: I think you know, it's only how many how many examples you need for it not to be considered a trend. That's my view, So of course they'll tell you that each instance is idiosyncratic and comes with its own yeah, yeah, parameters. But at the end of the day, these are yeah, the evidence is just there.
Speaker 2: That is the tilt here towards what I'm going to call executive fiction delusion, fraud, or is the tilt here to normative leverage market forces where oops, something goes wrong because of leverage.
Speaker 7: It's where those two things intersect.
Speaker 6: It's when leverages, when you use leverage and then you end up in in the situation and then and then it's just the losses are just compounding.
Speaker 2: We got to go, yeah, cause we got to go here, and you got to get back to work. I mean, you haven't done You've completely slacked off here this morning. What I want to know is, what's your biggest mystery? Is you published a Monday morning?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 6: So questions that I want to find out where is Rajah and more about who he is, because the allegations in court were that he's he's skipped down. The other one is kind of how exactly this went down, what precipitated the blow up exactly right? And then obviously who else is involved? Because I have a sense that there are some other names that we haven't unearthed yet.
Speaker 2: Constantine on behalf of all of Teams Surveillance. Thank you to your team for your reporting on this story. It's gone worldwide this morning. I really can't say enough about the work that we've seen off the Derivatives desk Bloomberg at Queen Victoria Street. Constantine kurkulis with his stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: This is incredibly well timed. KPMG UK has done a survey of Europe, and of course yell selfon joins us now Yale in America. All we're talking about is a lengthy Wall Street Journal article that says Paul Sweeney and Tom Keener moving to Europe. So I want to personalize the KPMG sixty thousand foot view Yale. What is the Europe we're moving to, whether we move to Portugal or Finland. We moved to Wales, we moved to Eastern Europe. Albania. Sure, Albania. What's the europe yell that we're moving to.
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, welcome, we'll be happy to have.
Speaker 3: You, Thank you.
Speaker 8: And I think Europe is very diverse.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean you could say the US is reverliatively diverse if you look at different states, But when it comes to Europe, as you say, there's a lot of different parts there, and I think generally there's quite a few opportunities. It really depends on what you're after.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We saw about this time last year when President Trump initiated some of his tariffs, that we saw Europe step up here and we saw a number of countries saying, okay, we get the message. We're going to start investing in our military, in our infrastructure, Germany in particular, making some big commitments. Is that something Europe can really do over the intermediate long term.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I think there's a few things here. One is, what would you really want Europe to invest in. I'd say defense is probably necessary, but if we can be as forward looking as possible and try and invest in the things that will actually help our defense as well as potentially more be of due usage and help us with our productivity another thing that's even better, So trying to figure that out is important. Also, Europe really want to try and produce as much as possible of it in Europe, and we probably as a whole don't have the capabilities at the moment. So there's a big theme of wreaking up mobilities. Well, I mean, but first of all, you need to understand what it is that you want to produce.
Speaker 2: In your KPMG study, you have nominal GDP just as a quick sum, it's maybe four percent four point two percent or maybe dare I say nominal GDP The animal spirit of the economy is sub three percent over here. That's a depression. Can Europe accept that tepid growth? Or is there finally a behavioral motivation to be more Anglo American?
Speaker 8: Very good question. So I think there's two things here. One is we've had much wiger productivity in Europe than in the US. Some of it, i'd say, you can potentially change. There's definitely things that Europe can do better and is striving to do a bit better. But europely slow. I mean, if you look at the European Union, we have twenty seven countries. It's not that easy to bring them all Yeah stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's not slow. It's the land of the three hour lunch. I've lived it in Frankfurt. Yeah. Is AI going to speed things up for you? Is AI in Helsinki or AI in Paul Sweety's Albania? Is it going to get it done?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: This is a but also you need to think about what you're trying to achieve. There's also about things about quality of life equalities. There's other goals that Europeans have that the America doesn't necessarily put at the forefront. And I'm not sure that is going to change as much. I think different priorities in Europe and that's partially why they priority prioritize other things, and growth is not always the first priority. AI will help. I think AI will help, but also it's not going to work the same way as in the US because you don't have the initial technology.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's the thinking now again, a year after President Trump again his tariff campaign, what's the thinking in Europe about the ability to partner with the US, to trade with the US?
Speaker 3: Where are we with that thinking?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 8: US is still an incredibly important market for Europe and a partner across different you know, initiatives, but there's definitely a recognition that you can rely less on US to help in times of when you look at defense, for example, but also you can you can rely less on the US as a market, given that policies change all the time.
Speaker 2: Yil you're at UCL and LC, you get prodigious European chips. We've got to run to our next guest. I got six people telling me I got to get to them yourself. And as simply as I can, are Americans welcome in Europe?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: There, that's good enough. You're over there all the time. I'm loving, love you. But you know, I mean, just to finish this up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go to Paris and I'm in a Disneyland tourist center of three Arron d Small. There's a whole other Paris out there. I never see describe that tension between the real Paris and the tur Paris of tom Keene.
Speaker 8: Europe has many challenges and they need to try and overcome them. One way of trying to overcome them is by increasing growth and potentially but also giving more people the opportunity to benefit from thy growth. I think this is a similar issue to what we have in the US. It's not different at all. You have different worlds in the US as well.
Speaker 2: Don't be a stranger. This has been fabulous yourself, and thank you so much. With the European report out of KPMG in the United Kingdom, thank you so much. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's right. Schapper joins us from Lazard asset manager. Really to do a brief here on EM but I got to go. You know you're at NYU, you're an LC and in all of a study the history of the shadows that are out there. We agreeeded this morning and folks, our lead reporter on this will be on with in twenty minutes. MFS in London, mister Diamond would say, it's another cockroach. Are you in the broader team at Lazard? Are you worry about the shadows of manufactured leverage, manufactured private credit?
Speaker 9: So I think the most important thing and Peter at Lazard or our CEO, talks about the context of contextual alpha and understanding the impact of events like that are unfolding right now, and how does that pick the impact the broader context. As an emerging market investor, we understand the cost of capital is born here in the US and understanding that context around the geopolitics where inflation expectations are. When I see that kind of context playing out in emerging markets, we're really constructive the asset class. We see positive real rates, we see that liquidity measure better. Quite frankly, the banking systems across most of the emerging markets are very traditional in nature. We don't have a lot in terms of private credit and non banking financial companies that we've.
Speaker 5: Really seen emerging markets perform so well over the last year plus. How much of that has been the weakness of the US dollar versus maybe improving earnings, just better business prospects politics in general.
Speaker 9: So, Paul, I think what's really exciting is that emerging markets just finished ten years of famine and we're in an eighteen month period where em is kind of getting a little bit of it's mojo back. But what's really important is that this is not just purely on weaker dollar, which obviously plays an important role in terms of global stimulus because long term liabilities are denominant dollars. But importantly, there's foundational change. Emerging markets is no longer the monolithic story of the past. We have AI opportunities that are are taking place. I mean, as we know many leading semiconductor companies Korea for examples of fifty percent here today.
Speaker 3: They're a key.
Speaker 9: Component of that. And at the same time, the debate around AI and disruption is impacting some of the service areas.
Speaker 2: Should we do a victory laugh on this shore I wrote Heat was way out front on this. Yeah, I mean, you know you were in here months and months and quarters ago saying this is different. Why is Korea tripled?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good question. It's it's it's a couple of things.
Speaker 9: First of all, the local populace are equity owners of their companies, right, so they essentially are are our greater participation. We're seeing their their flowes picking up.
Speaker 3: We're seeing corporate governance reform.
Speaker 9: They just announced this week plans to improve treasury shares in terms of cancelations. And then the most important aspect is the focus on R.
Speaker 3: And D and investment.
Speaker 9: In Korea, we've seen this development particularly around memory, which has really helped the leading memory companies that are key components of high bandwidth memory that goes into our AI servers today. The other aspect which I think people are getting excited about is this aspect.
Speaker 3: Of of of uh.
Speaker 9: Robotics and humanoids. And you guys had an interesting piece yesterday looking at uh uh the Atlas uh robot by by the Hundai Group and how does that compare with what Tesla's doing. The context is that you had a very low valuation starting point and at the same time, foundationally there's there's there's there's uh uh investment happening.
Speaker 2: To see that row heat is pounding the table? Do you hear that?
Speaker 3: Now we's been saying the same thing.
Speaker 5: Got time to really pay attention to emerging markets here China. What is your world doing with China these days? For a while it was almost uninvestable. Now it seems to.
Speaker 3: Be back, coming back. How do you guys think about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So, I think that the exciting thing about China is that there's no one China. It's no longer just purely based upon fixed out that investment and property development that area is still quite challenged. But what's exciting is what China's doing in terms of energy security, what China has done in terms of uh AI renewables uh as we talked about, over fifty percent of vehicle sales in China today are ev They're also exporting, so that context in terms of them moving terms of working forth the dustrialization. And at the same time we've seen a lot of development, particularly around the AI, the natural language processing that's occurry that China is also playing.
Speaker 3: In that global race.
Speaker 2: Right He choper with us. He's EM equity portfolio manager at Lazard asset manager. Can we massively rip up the script and yelet of rip okay? I'm going to editorialize and say that under the leadership of Peter Orzag, who's been way kind to me over the years, mister Orzag has reinvigorated the academics of Lazard, the brain power coming out of your shop is just jaw dropping. Is AI transferable to the EM economies? I get it that that AI works in Silicon Valley, it works at Northwestern in Chicago, Does it work at Duke?
Speaker 3: I think it works at day time?
Speaker 2: It works at Duke, Does it work in.
Speaker 9: Malay It works because it is a tool right now. It's leading to productivity gains. It's about understanding the data. But what's also a fact is that AI will be highly disruptive as well. We're seeing some of those debate. For example, I just came back from India. There's a big debate, particularly in the IT services industry where a lot of these companies were benefiting from lower cost labor and IT expertise and now potentially that code is going to be written by AI and that can be disruptive.
Speaker 2: Okay, the heart of India issach an Adela, coming out of Bangalore and down south is a Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu. How are they adapting to AI in the heart of Indian technology?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a wake up call.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 9: The first thing I'd say here is that if you look at Indian corporates, historically they haven't invested as much in terms of R and D spen. So R and D spend in India has been relatively low. What you're finding with the tariff discussions that there's been a whole focus on how do we improve our R and d spen how do we improve our manufat action capability, So there is definitely a sense of urgency. I do think these models will business models will change. But at the same time as companies adopt AI, you need the Indian IT service companies to help push that through that integration.
Speaker 2: Get one more in.
Speaker 5: Num world of emerging markets equities, where do you guys see the maybe the best value give now you have had some movement here.
Speaker 9: I think the best value in emerging markets it is Brazil.
Speaker 3: Brazil. I think, yes, you have the.
Speaker 9: Benefit a weaker dollar, you have strong commodity complex, inflation under control, and most importantly, real rates are amongst the highest in the world based interest rates at fifteen percent. I think that starts to come down as inflation comes down, and that's going to start to drive a current cycle and that's going to be I think a big surprise to investors that they see growth improving there.
Speaker 2: I get to research. Note that just came out. Roycheschepper, thank you so much for coming in with Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern. Listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Jennifer Welch joins US now chief geo Economics analyst Bloomberg Economics on Iran and suddenly on Cuba. Jennifer Welch, thank you so much for joining us. It's ninety four miles from Key West to the shores of Cuba. How close are we to Cuba as we go into the weekend.
Speaker 10: I think at the moment the situation is somewhat uncertain, but somewhat stable too. When we look at the recent incident of a boarded tag speedboat approaching Cuban authorities having a crisis, a shooting incident, and the immediate response from Washington doesn't seem to indicate that the United States is looking to get directly involved at this moment. They're looking to gather more information, but it's somewhat of a d esclatory step.
Speaker 3: I think the broader.
Speaker 10: Trajectory, though, of the relationship, is increasingly negative for Cuba. The economic pressure campaign that the US is put in place doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon. Or has the U S shifted its position in what it ultimately wants to achieve.
Speaker 2: There, Ben Jennifer, I remember my parents hiding the newspapers of the Cuban missile crisis because they thought that the offspring would be afraid of it. Go to twenty twenty one, Miguel dis Canal takes over not a castro, who is the leadership of Cuba that Secretary Rubio must confront.
Speaker 10: It looks like Secretary Rubio and his team are engaging with a number of different elites, including the former leaders, personal bodyguards, and crew. I think though negotiations are still at a pretty decent stage at this point, and this is likely to be an extenduated situation. I mean, if we think back to even Venezuela, that was a month's long pressure campaign and at much higher level of intensity than what we're currently seeing right now. You mentioned earlier that there is also a situation in Iran in the Middle East. US attention at the moment is a little bit more divided and spread across the world, and I think that's part of the reason that we're not seeing a huge escalation on Cuba right now.
Speaker 5: You mentioned Iran, we're putting. The US is putting some serious military hardware in that part of the world. We typically don't do that unless we're going to use it. Historically speaking, what's the latest thinking coming out of Washington as it relates to Iran?
Speaker 10: The military build up, as you mentioned, it's one of the largest in decades since the Iraq War, really in many ways, and I think it serves two purposes. The first one is signaling power to Tehran that the United States is serious about wanting a deal and sort of applying this ongoing pressure. The second is to give the President options if he does decide to order strikes. Now, the risk that we face is the talks yesterday in Geneva didn't produce an immediate agreement. They are meant to continue next week, but US negotiators reportedly left that meeting quite disappointed. And we've seen in the past, including last year, that President Trump ordered strikes on Iran even when talks were meant to continue. So we're by no means out of the woods yet on this situation.
Speaker 5: What is really the strategy of the US right now through Has that been articulated well by this White House?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 10: As we heard from the President earlier this week in the City of the Union, I think if you had to boil it down, his strategy is to try to get Iran to agree to a nuclear deal again. After pulling out of the nuclear deal that the Obama administration structured, the President is now aiming to negotiate a new deal with Iran. The challenge is that from Tehran's perspective, they already agreed to a deal and the US is the one that renegged on it, and now the US is asking for far more at a time in which Tehran feels it has far fewer options and its back is already up against the wall. So this is a really tense Situationifer, we got.
Speaker 2: To go to breaking news, but really appreciate the twenty four to seven you've been doing. She is chief ge Economics analyst for Bloomberg Economics, Jennifer Welch here, and I think we'll be more than speaking to her in the coming weeks here, particularly on Iran.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, The iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal