Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Thursday. And this might be the second best crowd we've had this week, top to top two easily the uh you see, yeah, see Todd, We've only done it two days, that's the second second. No, this crowd is great today. This this crowd is great kind of on delay, you know. I think I think they're missing we're missing something therefore we did we did not.
Speaker 3: I think they're trying to figure out what they just witnessed with Todd. And yeah, there's still a certain amount of like shock.
Speaker 2: So Todd got up and did some stand up as he had some jokes about green Bay. Would you like to uh recap some of the uh say, the high notes. I don't know if there were very very sympathetic general And I do want to.
Speaker 4: Thank them for not taking it too seriously and having a sense of humor a bat, because it's just like, you.
Speaker 2: Don't apologize to open up your act. You just do your ass.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: But I'm mister sensitive and I want everybody to like me. And I just thought that somebody be like, what the ex is problem with green Bay? Why are you even here there, and I didn't want I didn't want that kind of that.
Speaker 2: That imitation should help your reputation with these people too.
Speaker 6: Go back to New York or Away or Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Joe Boy, Joe Boy. All right, give us give the audience a sample. If they're just joining us right now, we say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country.
Speaker 4: Okay, So some of the things I had mentioned in my performed intificant cal no, no, just I'll just get right to it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Trip Advisor has a list of the fifteen best things to do in Green Bay. That seems a bit ambitious to me. I saw lambeau Field. I think I'm good and ready to go home.
Speaker 2: Okay, I moved to Green Bay.
Speaker 4: Just learned from my guesstormentrologists that I'm lactose intolerant. With this aversion to dairy products, I guess I have to move away from here now because there's a lot of dairy products here.
Speaker 3: You know you don't, so he has to move Oh, okay, oh, because dairy anyway, I.
Speaker 4: Ordered a frozen tundra of the dairy Queen down the road. But they were not particularly amused by that, as that's my little joke for I.
Speaker 2: Like the line. I like, yeah, I did. I thought it was, you know, kind of funny.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, he doesn't pause for a laugh.
Speaker 2: Well, he knows. It's not not to expect, you know. It's it's like, why wait if you know it's not going to show up. They're upset over this one.
Speaker 4: Is it wrong that I prefer a bag of cheese doodles over cheese curds?
Speaker 2: Get that we had cheese curds last night? There it is there, it is the cheese courge last night. They were good.
Speaker 7: Those were good.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 4: Again, these are just jokes. These aren't necessarily my personal feelings about anything.
Speaker 8: It's just to have fun.
Speaker 4: I did like the cheese curds. Oh no major League Baseball, NBA or NHL. But hey there's always the single A Rockers, that indoor football Blizzard team and oh yeah the four and twenty eight college hoops team goes Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that shot at Doug Gottlie is it?
Speaker 4: I think I had here? If I desire inn't you main freezing temperatures, I'd go to Alaska or the North Pole wow, if I desire, who desires that's very cold, and what bless them they can get through that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anybody desires that kind of cold. They don't like jam it's seventy. I wish it was minus seven. That's part of the experience of being a green mess social media complaining Todd's jokes weren't cheesy enough.
Speaker 8: Wa waka WALKA.
Speaker 2: Stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. We'll talk to Matt Miller ESPN NFL Draft Aniles. He'll join us. Coming up, Kurt Warner stops by, and Daniel Jeremiah. He'll be working the draft for NFL Network as well. Eight seven seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls and once again, good morning to those watching on Peacock, our streaming partner Basketball tonight. You got Nick Pistons. Can my Pistons pull this off? Because I picked them to beat the nixt the Thunder and the Grizzlies and Nuggets and Clippers, which has been really, really competitive. Jimmy Butler got banged up, and I don't know that'll certainly impact this series with Houston as a Houston beat Golden State and the draft tonight. Fifteen players in attendance, including from what I'm told, Jalen Milroe. But I don't know if he's projected to be a first round draft pick. I don't know if somebody now. We just had Drew Brees in here, and Drew said he was told by his head coach from a scout with the Miami Dolphins if he was available at I think the twenty sixth pick, they were taking him. So Drew's at home in West Lafayette. He had gone to Purdue, so he's there with his brother, I think, and his dad and his dog. So all of a sudden he's gone, all right, and the Dolphins are on the clock. And Drew said that he was reaching for his phone because he thought, well, they're going to draft me, and then they didn't draft, and then he goes in the second round. You get players who will tell you that a team will tell them, if you're there, we are going to take you. But Daniel Jeremiah says, with all certainty, the Browns are taking Travis Hunter, which I think is a great decision for them, and you know it gives them some real positivity for a change. Now you put Abdul Carter with Miles Garrett, that would be terror, sheer terror for a quarterback. But you do need something on offense. If Joe Flacco's your quarterback, he's going to have to have somebody to throw to there. And then that leaves the Giants at three. And I started to look at this when we start to do these mock drafts. So if you go back to twenty twenty four, so the big names in college football the quarterbacks Shador Sanders, Carson Beck, Quin Yours, Drew Alar and Jylem. Milroe. Cam Ward was buried on the odds board at plus eighteen hundred, a dark horse at best. So now fast forward and you got cam Ward's going number one. Sanders might not even go in the top fifteen. Beck transferred to Miami, Alar is back at Penn State, and Milroe is projected to be a Day two prospect. Now this isn't a knock on these players as much as it is the system that creates this, and that is everybody wants a mock draft. There'll be a mock draft coming up for next year, probably released tomorrow after today, everybody wants to get ahead of this. Well, what happens is these players get elevated or they know they're not even put in the first three rounds, and all that's based on is what happened last year. You still have a season coming up. But the mock draft, everybody wants to be ahead of the curve and say this is what I think is going to happen. I remember when we looked at the first mock draft and it had Carson Beck and I didn't think he was a good quarterback at all, and they were saying, well, he's going to be a first round pick, now, Quinn, you weers. I saw the talent there, but Beck transferred to Miami after being at Georgia. So a lot of times we fall in love with these guys, we think they're going to be great, and then they don't turn out to be great, and then we blame them when they didn't. They didn't slot themselves, they didn't take a draft them, and I think sometimes that's unfair to these kids.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pauling and the mock drafts, I'm talking the real ones on ESPN, NFL Network, Fox. They can often be way off just weeks before the draft two weeks before Cam Newton's draft. He was in the fifteens and twenties in most mock drafts. I look back at the Baker Mayfield draft. Remember you came in that one day and said he's going number one. A week before you said that, there had him at ten to fifteen, ten to twenty. Where he's going to go, Will Levis, you could find just a couple of years ago out of Kentucky there's a bunch of mock drafts that have him in the top ten picks. And he goes in the second round. And this is not six months before, this is two to three weeks before.
Speaker 2: I always find Chris Simms and Dan Orlovsky are two of the best at analyzing quarterbacks. Chris Sims is great. He's he was ahead of the curve on a lot of these quarterbacks, including Lamar Jackson. But he has no agenda. It's not like you know, you listen to agents. He just says, I just break down the tape here, and I think that's where. And I remember watching Orlovsky on the mother Ship and he was breaking down Tennessee's quarterback and all of a sudden, he's gone. You know, I don't like certain things, and next thing you know, people are falling in love with him, and then you know he starts to slip a little bit. Now they're taking cam Ward because maybe he's not a starting quarterback. It's weird that you spend that's your job, these draft these scouts, that's their job. I got to analyze you, and then you got to go back and tell your team that's the guy we want to take, and then all of a sudden you whiff, Like how many how many guys you have just whiffed? When it comes to now, we always blame the player as a bust. You never here that scout's a bust, that GM's a bust. It's that player is a bust, and it's not fair to them. But like Ryan leif he's considered one of the biggest busts, or JaMarcus Russell, if you didn't do your homework on JaMarcus Russell, that's on you because he didn't love football. Ryan Leaf had some other issues in play there. You know, even Johnny Manziel, if you did your homework and ask the right people the right questions, then you never would have taken Johnny Manziel. That's what's unique about the draft is sometimes we overthink it and then you see teams start to panic and somebody's going to be on the clock tonight and you're gonna go, oh, no, what did they just do? Yes, Mark, I.
Speaker 9: Think the scariest part about being a scout or GM is if you draft, say a wide receiver, and he doesn't pan out, and the next wide receiver taking is killing it, and the owner and everyone else is looking.
Speaker 2: At you like what happened.
Speaker 9: Yeah, It's almost like the CJ. Stroud Bryce Young situation. Well, I'm sure the owner of the Panthers it's probably like, so, what's going on, guys?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where you know the owners obviously the smartest football guy in the building, just to ask him. That's when you get in trouble because Jerry Jones has done this, The Browns owner has done this, has them where all of a sudden you just bigfoot people. So these guys have gathered all this information, that's their job, and then all of a sudden the owner goes, uh, we're gonna take Bryce Young, but uh, we're taking Bryce Young? What do we We're taking Bryce Young? Yes?
Speaker 10: Mar.
Speaker 9: The thing about Jerry Jones is he thinks he's a football guy because he played at Arkansas all these other guys business guys. He was a football player that ended up becoming a billionaire. So he's probably like, no, no, no, I'm a football guy too. I played with Jimmy Johnson. I deserve a bunch of credit too.
Speaker 2: No, no, Jimmy Johnson played with Jerry Jones. Yeah, yes, bully, Like Marvin was saying about wide receivers.
Speaker 6: If you go back to the twenty twenty draft, there's this great video you could find all of the Internet. It's of the Vikings war room during the draft and they're waiting to see if h Justin Jefferson of LS, who's gonna fall to them. At the twenty second pick, and one pick earlier, the Eagles take Jalen Rager out of TCU and they have a celebration like, oh my god, and they run the pick up with Justin Jefferson, who's going to be a Hall of Famer. But taken before Justin Jefferson, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Judy, Ceedee Lamb. Judy and Lamb have good careers Jalen Rager and then Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 2: But it's it's one team and what they see with a guy and what another team se sees with the guy.
Speaker 9: Yes, did they not see Justin Jefferson at LSU, I'm the greatest offense ever.
Speaker 2: Am miss was happening something I don't know. Maybe they thought Joe Burrow made him great. Jam Chase happened to something I know. I know. Once again, it's Io the Beholder. Yeah, Pale, I.
Speaker 6: Think what happens when guys are around so long they're taken for granted or something. Go back to the Deshaun Watson draft. Now, I know he's had off the field issues, but as a quarterback he was awesome college. He was just awesome, And like, now let's go Trubisky, let's go blank, Let's go blank. And he drops to a ten or eleven in that draft.
Speaker 2: James in Virginia, Hi James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Oh? Thank you for taking my car, gentlemen. I Happy Thursday, DP damn that Saluti commanders to Happy draft day guys, and shout out to the green Bay fans man, the frozen Tundra, lambeau Field, and the Greenberg puckers. Oh that is so great, man, I love it. Drive day makes me so happy. Man, I don't buy the height, sir, dor Standers is going. Top ten quarterbacks are gold in the NFL. Just see Jayden Daniels and the Washington Commanders of twenty twenty four. Speaking of the Commanders, two player that I hope they grabbed. And I can't believe I'm saying it because I'm a gold blue guy. But man a Mecca A Buka and Treyvon Henderson, to me, are two guys that can compete for offense ve Rookie of the Year. I don't understand how a Buka is not a top fifteen picks, especially when Ohio State. Again, horrible to say, but they are wide receiver. You so many great wide receivers in the NFL come out of Ohio State. I hope one of them is in the Burgundy and goals. Can't wait to see what a tonight guys. Hope you guys have a great day. Always good talking. Salute the commanders.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jeeves. I think he did that on one breath. But James in Virginia, he loves his commanders. Salute the commanders. Dustin and Alabama. Hi, Dustin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 10: Thanks?
Speaker 11: For taking my call brother rollside and do that salute the Farah Pirates. Yeah, that's okay. Though I grew up in a little down called Barah of Alabama. Also the alma mater one Riley Leonard. I got a pile of the faith bet that came to me yesterday just passing.
Speaker 10: Mine in his high school.
Speaker 11: That I've got this feeling that Riley's getting kind of overlooked. I think he'll get drafted in the top two rounds and I also think he will somehow, one way or another, get a start in the NFL next season.
Speaker 2: Okay, does anybody want a piece of dustin in Alabama? That Riley Leonard, the Notre Dame quarterback. Actually, we have his Panini trading card up on the wall here. Maybe that's a sign, I guess, Paul.
Speaker 6: I will take that bet. I'm not anti Riley Leonard, but he will not go before the third round.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Dustin, you got a pie to the face bet. Thanks Polly, appreciate it. Tom and Tennessee. Hi, Tom, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You mentioned Derrick Brooks. In that same draft we got Warren set By trading down, so we got two Hall of famers out of that draft and Harry Gamble, the GM of the Eagles. I thank him for taking Mike Mamula, and I thank Jerry Jones for making the trade that led to Derrick Brooks.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, john Yeah, there are a lot of draft day trades there. Now, Herschel Walker wasn't a draft day trade, but he did set up the Dallas Cowboys. I don't know when that trade. One of my favorite moments was when Mike did go I think Ditka wanted to go play golf, and he just gave up all of his draft picks to take Ricky Williams, and he met with the media smoking his cigar, and it was basically, all right, you guys done asking questions. I'm gonna go play golf. He didn't want to put up with a draft, so he traded all of his picks and he took Ricky Williams, who turned out to be at times a pretty good running back, but he just wasn't committed to the NFL. But when was herschel When was that trade done with Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 6: That was October twelfth, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Also during the season. Yeah, but boy, that set up the Dallas Cowboys. I mean, this is where Jimmy Johnson was such a genius. He was so far ahead of everybody because of how he valued certain draft picks, certain rounds, you know, putting a number on that. And now everybody does that. But but Jimmy was so far ahead of the curve. Him and Bill Walsh. You know, you talk about we like to throw genius around, and Bill Walsh was a genius with what he did offensively, and I think Jimmy, Jimmy structurally, what he did with the Dallas Cowboys, it you know, carried them for I mean, Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl with Jimmy's talent. That's how good Jimmy was. Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 6: With the Hall that the Cowboys got in that trade, they drafted players such as EMMITTT. Smith, Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland. They also acquired three defenders who started for the next few years from the Minnesota BC. Yeah, Herschel was a very nice player.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 6: He was not Emmett Smith, No, he was.
Speaker 2: He was not. All right, let me take a break. Matt Miller will join us ESPN. NFL draft analyst Kurt Warner stops by Daniel Jeremiah will join us as well. We're back right after this on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live draft coverage YEP, with the first pick, the biggest names that know about every player and every team.
Speaker 10: You've got it right here, God listen ass Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer, former New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas, College Football Hall of Famer and former number two overall pick, LaVar erringtech at Fox Sports. Lead college football reporter Jenny Tap deliver the pick, fine pick coverage the night. Fox Draft Night Live lives right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We'll get to more phone calls coming up each seven to seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com. Just some weird numbers when it comes to draft. Uh, you know, as far as quarterbacks go, and Drew Brees was the thirty second pick overall back in two thousand and one, so he finished with five hundred and seventy one career touchdown passes. The rest of that draft in two thousand and one combined for two hundred and sixty nine touchdown passes. Also, Brees had two hundred and forty three interceptions. The rest of the draft had two hundred and forty seven. Then you have let me see Kurt Warner. So Kurt Warner was undrafted. He'll join us coming up next hour. He had two hundred and eight career touchdown passes, more than any other player selected in that draft. You had guys like Gus Farott. Remember Gus Arott when he slammed his head into the he scored a touchdown and then he hurt himself. Trent Dilfer was in that draft, Jim Miller, Heath Schuler, Glenn Foley, Doug Nussmeyer. So Kurt Warner had two hundred and eight career touchdown passes. Is that the fewest touchdown passes for a Hall of Fame court? Well, No, because I don't know about.
Speaker 6: I think Troy Aikman has won sixty five career touchdown passes. Wow, But because he would have like fifteen and seven in a year, but they'd win the Super Bowl. Yeah, I think I'll check. I think one sixty five or Kurt Warner.
Speaker 2: What about Bart Starr or thinks in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, since you know, seventy five, but checking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I remember Bart Starr. You know, if you had twenty touchdown passes, I mean you were a mad bomber because everybody was running the football and then you'd throw. You'd throw like fifteen times a game. Now you get that one quarter, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: Here's a few guys that are I got one sixty five for Troy Aikman, that was right. Roger Staubach as one hundred and fifty three. He started his career about four years late. To be fair to Stabach. Sid Luckman won thirty seven. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Sid Luckman was playing, you know, back in the fifties. Oh no, I don't know if he was so we rated back then, he was great. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think in modern ear are the lowest would be traitement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Sammy Baugh and those guys. I don't know how many touchdown passes they were throwing. How many does Bart Starr have? Checking? Checking? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, yes, you.
Speaker 4: Mentioned Bob Greasy Hall of Famer nineteen ninety one hundred and ninety two TDS.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's fine, all right, let's bring in Matt Miller. He covers the draft, he gets paid to cover the draft, he covers every pick, and ESPN covering the draft for the forty sixth consecutive year. Matt will be joining Rhys Davis, mel kiper Field, Yates, Lewis Riddick beginning at noon Eastern for rounds four through seven. Uh So, Matt Miller friend of the show, and we make way for him. Come on in, Matt, it's up.
Speaker 8: It's up.
Speaker 2: Which cher closest to me? Man, looks like a like a Christmas sweater that you got on. Or it's cold out here? You know it's cold.
Speaker 12: I'm just I don't leave home, so being outside it's a little cold.
Speaker 2: This isn't cold. This is cold for me.
Speaker 12: Where do you live. I live in southern Missouri. It's like eighty degrees.
Speaker 2: Okay, but thank you. This is football weather.
Speaker 12: Here, it's football weather. I've never been to Green Bay before, so as a football nerd, this is I always said I wouldn't come here until I came for a game when it was cold out.
Speaker 2: I wanted the experience. Yeah, this is pretty close. Yeah, well this is Christmas for you.
Speaker 12: It is yeah, it's like tax season plus Christmas altogether.
Speaker 2: But how much pressure do you feel when you put out a mock draft? This is your job. You're at the mother Ship and trying to live up to you know, mel Kiper and everybody else that you I don't know if you compete with, but you know you compliment each other. So I'd never thought of it like that. So now there's a lot more pressure. Now.
Speaker 12: I've never been like, oh, if I put this out and it's not good, Kuiper is going to be like, never mind, get that kid off my desk. But there is pressure, I think obviously. You know I spent ten years at Bleacher Report. That's even different than ESPN because it's ESPN and you guys have been there. You know, it's like everything you say is under a different microscope. So there is a lot of pressure. With mock drafts. You basically get to a point where you're never gonna like it, but you just get comfortable with it. So my last one came out yesterday afternoon, and I finally sent it to the editors and was like, I don't want to mess with this anymore. Let's just get it out there because I could make picks. I could change picks until tonight at six fifty five if I wanted to, So at some point you just wash your hands of it and hand it in.
Speaker 2: What's the pick that could change the first round?
Speaker 12: Well, I think Ashton gent going five to Jacksonville. But I'll back up a little bit. I still think there's a five percent chance Shador Sanders goes three to the Giants. I don't feel great about it, and I wouldn't put it in a mock draft because I think it's a minute possibility. But you have to account for the fact that an owner could hop in and say, hey, you know what, take the quarterback here. So I think Chador at three would shake up the draft, not that I am expecting it, but Gent to Jacksonville five would be a pretty big wild card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like somebody's trading up. And my source said that somebody's trading up, and he goes, who are you trading up for? And he thought Genti's the only guy who's sort of a wild card with this of he's an impactful guy and we'd now, I guess, reassess the running back position and he's back. You know, when somebody says he's EMMITTT. Smith with speed. Okay, you got my attention with that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And I do think in this class there's very few blue chip players to where you could say, Okay, we have Travis Hunter, we have Abdul Carter. The next best player on my board is Ashton Genty. So thank you, Sakwon Barkley. Now these running backs are being valued again, and so I think there is that element of especially if you think about Jacksonville, you have a first time general manager, first time head coach. You really want your first pick to be a hit. I remember talking to Scott McLuhan about that when he took the Washington job.
Speaker 2: The first pick needs to be a hit. They took Brandon Shirf who was a guard from Iowa. He played in the NFL for thirteen years. He was a really good player for them.
Speaker 12: So instead of swinging for the fences, sometimes you just need that first pick to be a starter that you can point to your owner and say, no, the guy we picked, Look, he's out there every Sunday.
Speaker 2: He's making an impact for us.
Speaker 12: No one in this draft is going to make a bigger Year one impact than Ashton Genty.
Speaker 2: How do I know when you don't like a player when you put him in your mock draft. Uh, that's a good question.
Speaker 12: I think when you don't like a player, you probably talk about it's more about the projection of how they could be good instead of here's how I know, like when I talk about Abdul Carter, you get excited, you know, you get energetic about what he.
Speaker 2: Brings to the field.
Speaker 12: When you talk about somebody you know, second round or I would even say, I'm not the biggest Shdor Sanders fan, and there's a difference when I talk about him, because it's well, he could work if this happens, if he gets in the right scheme, if he gets more where they have a run game and he can live off play action.
Speaker 2: But he's not a you know.
Speaker 12: He's not a big guy. He's not a traits guy. He doesn't have the huge arm. So I think you you start to talk yourself into it more when you don't like a player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just it's weird how we can look at one positive but also make it a negative. When people go, man, he's tough in the pocket, he takes hits, and then you'll go, well, maybe if he got rid of the ball sooner than he wouldn't take hold of those hits.
Speaker 12: You would love him to be that tough and not be sacked ninety five times if he could be that tough and get sacked twenty times. And it's interesting because from an analytics standpoint, quarterbacks who are sacked a lot in college get sacked a lot in the NFL, and that's what we don't want. It is one of the stats, along with fumbles, that actually translates really well from Saturdays to Sunday. So you're right, it's like, we love his toughness and that he's willing to stand in the pocket, but at the same time, at six', one two hundred, POUNDS i would much rather him get rid of the ball on.
Speaker 2: Time more likely to be a pro bowler or a? Bust, Sure Door, Sanders oh, gosh that's.
Speaker 12: Tough this is gonna get, CLIPPED i will, say more likely to be a. Bust but can you be a bust if you're picked at twenty one or thirty?
Speaker 2: Three, well, well, okay what's the line of demarcation of you're a bust if you're taking in this? Era do we call?
Speaker 12: IT i, Guess Canny, pickett we would call bust because you were a quarterback in the first round and you're not the. Starter so in that sense you would be a. Bus but not in the sense, of you, Know JaMarcus russell or Or Trey lance in terms of you, know a.
Speaker 2: Bust SO i think there's levels to.
Speaker 12: It you, know if you're drafted in the top ten and you don't become a long term, starter that's obviously a bad. Pick if he's drafted, it if someone trades up and takes him at twenty six and he doesn't work, out it's not AS i WOULDN'T i don't know THAT i want to call that a.
Speaker 2: Bust, okay but why don't we call scouts? Bust we, should or GM's bus or draft.
Speaker 12: Guys we should all take the. Heat, no, wait we absolutely. SHOULD i think the players don't draft. Themselves that's. It i've made that point before. Too it's not the player's. Fault they were, overdrafted you. Know if a player gets. Drafted Trey lance is a good. Example it's not his. Fault he was drafted at number three after playing one game the year.
Speaker 2: Before and how do you miss on you? Trade, okay so this Is Kyle shanahan And John. Lynch, YEAH i, mean how do you miss this? Badly you trade and you.
Speaker 12: You find Brock perty and everyone. Forgets, yes that's it. Works if they didn't a Rock, perdy they would be. Fired you think?
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 12: PROBABLY i mean it's tough Because kyle Is. KYLE i, mean HE'S nfl royalty to some, degree but probably because what would be your answer at? Quarterback they might still be Playing Trey lance at this. Point if Rock.
Speaker 2: Perty was taken fifteenth instead of the last pick in the, draft would we have any issues with paying him fifty five million? DOLLARS i don't think.
Speaker 12: SO i think they would would be praised, as, oh look they got. It you, know they've hit on this. Quarterback If, jones, yeah the narret would be completely, different especially the fact that he's been to A Super, bowl which that's Not that's something a lot of quarterbacks can't say in this era that's been dominated By brady And. Mahomes so, YEAH i don't think anyone would be and they probably would have paid him already had he been drafted in, fifteen because you always carry that first round tag with you if you're drafted in the first round forever you were a first round.
Speaker 2: Pick He's Matt. Miller he's AN ESPN nfl draft. Analyst he'll be working rounds four through seven with mel Kiper, Rhyese Davis, Field, yates And Lewis. Riddy give me the mock draft that you're the proudest, of like you, know where you had somebody and you could take a victory.
Speaker 12: LEFT i don't know IF i have. ONE i honestly like mock. Drafts you get eight picks right and you feel great about. YOURSELF i think two years, AGO i THINK i hit like nine of the nine picks in a row to start the. Draft but that just means it was an unpre like it was a predictable. Draft it's very. Chalky, yeah one, YEAR i want to do. IT i want to go with the betting odds and do the mock draft and see how right it would. Be BUT i also know that those lines change based off mock, draft so it might be you, know exercise and. Futility but with mock, DRAFTS i mean it is truly if you Get if you get ten or, eleven that's a great.
Speaker 2: Year have you had agents try to massage you a little bit?
Speaker 12: There WITH i mean, NO i think because you, KNOW i broke into this industry WHEN i was really, young and SO I i think more SO i have agents who feel like they can call me and tell me how WRONG i am and how DUMB i, am instead of you, KNOW i think with some of the guys who you were in the league and then came to the media, Side i'm Sure kuyper doesn't get called by agents who, say you're an. Idiot this guy's gonna go first round and you have him in the. Second agents are funny, though because they will do that until this, week and then they'll call and, say, so where do you think my guy's gonna? Go, say you, know they want to know the draft range this. Week last, week you were an idiot for having their player in the second or third.
Speaker 2: Round this, Week, hey what are you hearing about my? Player so it's you to. Take why Is Jaln milroe invited to the? Draft that is a great.
Speaker 12: QUESTION i don't think it's because he's going to be picked, tonight as fascinating as he is as a. PLAYER i reminded people when that happened That Matt correll And Malik willis were also invited to the. Draft they were third round. Picks so at some point in THE. Nfl THE nfl is an entertainment. Business they want a good. Story and If Jalen milro is comfortable hanging out In Green bay for an extra, day he'll be the face of the draft tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Night teams that historically are not good, drafters who would you put at the?
Speaker 12: TOP i thought you were gonna name, him SO i Was Brown's. Jets those are the two that come to mind for. Me AND i try to make a joke this morning on radio about The jets been bad at the, draft and people THOUGHT i was predicting. Something it's, like, No, actually they're just traditionally they're not good at. It and that's WHY i think you can point To cleveland's been better as of. Late but those are teams that are consistently picking in the top, five top.
Speaker 2: Ten they're there every year for a. Reason seattle's, Great, Baltimore baltimor is, Great Green bay's. Great Green. BAY i Think buffalo is. Great they're, underable but what's the strategy?
Speaker 12: THERE i think they know their system well enough to know what type of player works, there and they've had some consistency in their coaching, positions so you know exactly you know. It like With Matt, lafleur you know what he's looking for and you know where you can find that. Value you can Draft Zach tom in the fifth. Round you don't have to spend a first round pick on an offensive tackle or we know they're not going to draft a receiver in the first, round ALTHOUGH i really hope they do. Tonight if you have the draft in your, hometown you should. Draft it should be. Fun you should take a. Receiver BUT i think it does boil down to Like, baltimore they've drafted the same player on defense for twenty. Years they know exactly what worked, there and they just keep plugging those players and highly productive players from big colleges and look at The rams turn.
Speaker 2: Around they're doing that.
Speaker 12: Too they're going highly productive players from powerful conferences and they've completely flipped that defense around after Losing.
Speaker 2: Aaron Donald fritzi's a Diehard bronco. Fan he found out this morning The broncos have a first round draft. Pick, Oh, Congress that's it's kind of.
Speaker 4: SAD i thought that they didn't have a first round pick for a couple days after that Bad Russell wilson.
Speaker 2: Deal, yeah, no you're.
Speaker 12: Back you're back in Back and they might be trading up is what everyone's saying today is they might be moving.
Speaker 2: Up CAN i ask you a quick question you'll humor.
Speaker 1: Me can we See?
Speaker 4: Ashton can they trade up and go From Boise State bronco To Denver? Bronco is that expecting?
Speaker 2: To it'd be?
Speaker 12: Expensive do you want to spend two or three first round picks on a running? Back would be the? Question now are you? So especially in a deep running back? Draft but it would be fun To, broncos it would be. Fun, yeah they'd have put some blue turf down In denver for.
Speaker 2: Him it'd be. Great haven't they already done stupid things when they brought In Russell Wilson.
Speaker 4: That didn't work out very well for To Russell wilson Related broncos shirts closet.
Speaker 2: Cobweb how does Cam ward not work? OUT i think if he continues to be. Reckless you know?
Speaker 12: WHAT i think the biggest drawback for him is at times he believes in his own talent so much that he'll wait to do, things or he'll make throws that he. Shouldn't WHEN i look At tennessee they have to add playmakers around.
Speaker 2: Him he. Is he is a very good point.
Speaker 12: Guard but it's notable that his career got better when he went To miami where he had. Players he Had Elijah, Royo Xavier, Rostrepo Sam, Brown Damian. Martinez all those guys are going to be drafted this. Weekend he didn't do That Washington, state despite the fact that he Had Kyle, williams who's going to be a top one hundred draft pick at. Receiver SO i think for cam If tennessee doesn't surround him with playmakers and they expect him to go Be Jaden daniels Or Patrick, mahomes it's not who he. Is he's much more of a distributor than he, is you, know this electric. Playmakers that's not really the type of player that he needs to.
Speaker 2: Be but if you look at the you, know scouts in draft, analysts they, say, well Cam ward probably would have been the seventh quarterback taken last. Year, yeah, right the fifth to. Seventh, Okay but if that's the, Case Travis hunter is the most unique football player maybe we'll ever. See, yeah why don't why don't you take that guy instead of taking the best quarterback in this.
Speaker 12: Draft i've been saying that as, well would THAT i would Take Abdul carter Or Travis. Hunter but when they didn't jump in the quarterback market and free, agency we knew where they were going because you can't roll another year Of Will levis out there that's not. Working and so we see this every year, though teams talk themselves into their. QUARTERBACKS i Mean Fritzy's broncos it, worked but they talked themselves into Bon, nicks and they were really backed into that corner of there's no other quarterback on the, board we're gonna have to take.
Speaker 2: Him it worked.
Speaker 12: Out Mac jones is an example of when that doesn't work. Out so Cam ward is a good. Player he's my number fourteen overall player in this, draft so him going one is not. Relative no one has him ranked as the top player in the, draft at least of the boards That i've seen from my, colleagues none of us have him as the top.
Speaker 2: PLAYER i know that anyone has him in the top. Five even give me your scolding hot take for.
Speaker 12: Tonight for, Tonight oh that, MAN i should have been prepared for, that my scolding hot.
Speaker 2: Take the defensive linemen are going to fly off the board. Tonight that's.
Speaker 12: Hot, no, no, no, okay, no, no no. Hotter, yeah door doesn't go? Tonight is that?
Speaker 2: Hot? Yeah, okay, yeah we'll go with. THAT i think we see one quarterback, tonight unless there's a. Trade Jackson dart didn't.
Speaker 12: Go, no as much AS i would love, it unless The giants come back. UP i could see. THAT i could see The giants getting back in for, him BUT i. Don't it's very hard to find a team that loves should Or. Sanders, yeah that loves enough to make him the. Guy and maybe It's, pittsburgh but there's got to be Some Kinny PICKETT ptsd, there you know from, like, oh we tried this two years, ago did three years, ago it didn't.
Speaker 2: Work so that would be my hot. Take do small hands matter with your? QUARTERBACKS i mean a little.
Speaker 12: Bit if you have, fumbles THEN i think you look at that and, say is their causation? There you, know if you have a guy with smaller, hands But Patrick mahomes has nine inch, hands has held him back it, All SO i think you want to look at. It if it's a player who has fumble, issues then you look at the hand size and Say, okay maybe.
Speaker 2: It, Matters, marvin hold up your hands if you a, Quarterback oh, yeah Those.
Speaker 12: You're also not a big hand. Guy you, know a sub six footer has got to stick. Together so, uh it's also you, KNOW i don't know that what Was John elway's hand. SIZE i don't. Know it's probably Pray. DEC's he's a big. Guy but Like Joe, montana that's.
Speaker 2: WHEN i brought that. UP i think it's so. Silly BUT i don't remember somebody, saying you, know UN, I i don't know if you'll, succeed hands are Smaller Joe namath or any of.
Speaker 12: THESE i understand the irony of a person in my field saying, This But, dan a lot of the things we talk about From january to now really don't, matter you, know they just really they don't, matter you, Know AND i appreciate.
Speaker 8: That but thank.
Speaker 2: You, hey you've got To, phil it's you're in the machine at the. Mothership you gotta you got the, length you, know we got to talk about. Something, yes have fun this, Weekend. Matt great to see, You Matt, MILLER ESPN Nfl draft. Analysts we'll come back with our scalding hot takes for. Tonight right after, this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition Of The Dan Patrick show week days at nine Am eastern six Am pacific On Fox Sports radio and The iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAPP i want to thank the bar once again here In Green. BAY i want to thank all the great people who came out this. Morning they waited in, line and some people got here at four in the. Morning we have some people outside that won't be able to get in this, morning but, uh there's always. Tomorrow we'll be here at the bar and during our show all three. Hours. Uh dylan is part of our gambling. Podcast and by the, Way Dan patrick takes a gamble With shay And Irving Bad larry And dylan the Graphics. Guy that'll be after the. Show but, uh and we're gonna play THE Nfl Draft Hot take game coming up as. Well so let's make way For dylan the graphics. Guy, yeah, yeah give me all, Right, Uh.
Speaker 6: Dan if you don't mind. It he looks Like John daily minus the golf.
Speaker 2: Talent. Yeah, yeah what was the outfit that you passed on that you decided to wear that?
Speaker 13: One, well THEN i, was as you, KNOW i was away the week before. This i'm kind of running on fumes in the clothing.
Speaker 2: Department m but you did go to the casino last? Night we, did AND i won.
Speaker 8: Money.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay that's a, rarity that one in every one, hundred because if you watch the or listen to the gambling, podcast you pretty much never. Win i've been on a cold streak you for. Years. Yeah, yeah you are the frozen tunder when it comes to pick golf. BETTING i, think, okay do you have some draft odds that we should be aware of the audience going into?
Speaker 8: Tonight, yeah you want some of what the Things i'm looking?
Speaker 2: At did you see your?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 2: Yeah so you know?
Speaker 8: What definitely not?
Speaker 2: Today, okay all, right so this one's.
Speaker 8: Spicy Jalen millrow to be the SECOND qb take?
Speaker 12: It?
Speaker 2: Okay plus a? Thousand all, right not.
Speaker 8: Impossible.
Speaker 2: Now once, again people who do these projections and talk about, bets they don't put their money on. It Like i'm gonna let you behind the. CURTAIN a lot of people who do. This, YEAH i gotta Like Mike greenberg's putting his money on the line when he's making these bets ON. Espn you are putting your money on, these and too much of your money by the, way it's a charitable donation To, okay some of Our so you're Taking Jalen, Milrow, yeah second quarterback off the.
Speaker 13: Board, yeah you can bet on the position that mister irrelevant will, be which is kind OF i, mean that's just a toss up, really BUT i might take AN o.
Speaker 8: Lineman, Okay, YEAH a needy team's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, Whatever, okay what are the odds, though plus four, hundred four, Hundred, yeah what's a? Quarterback a quarterback?
Speaker 13: IS i think it was like plus three, fifty so slightly they're all in that same.
Speaker 2: Ball ok all, right.
Speaker 13: And this is like a lot schudeur to go to The saints plus eleven hundred and then also under fourteen and a half draft, position so.
Speaker 2: You're Taking Jalen milroe as the same. Quarterback but that would mean, yes that should Or sanders is going to go to The.
Speaker 13: Saints so hopefully one of these Heads i'm spreading myself across the.
Speaker 2: World, okay not everything is a, Contingent.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, yeah And.
Speaker 13: Matthew golden under seventeen and a, half that's probably the only smart one of.
Speaker 8: These actually that's minus one sixty.
Speaker 2: Five, Okay Matthew. Golden, yep that's. It Who's Matthew? Golden the? Receiver? Yeah, YEAH i mean you have to oh, yeah the receiver. Facts there you. Go that's what you have to do because not everybody knows what you. Know, no most people know. More they do uh more of this. Greatness on The Gambling, Podcast Dan patrick takes a gamble available after the show At dan danpatrick dot. Com how About Dylan dylan the graphics. Guy, YEAH i think it's ready. That, yeah what's he? WEARING i have no. Idea he's dressed Like Danny DaVita. Matilda he lost a BET i think is what happened? There that like The oh, YEAH i love the. Confidence you know WHEN i think of a swag, bag he's a swag. Bag he is a swag. Bag, yeah he's, walking, living breathing swag. Bag. Yeah dylan has. Riza he has riz as the kids like to. Say he came back From. Spain he was, there you know during the week. OFF pauli sees him in the. Airport your face is, down you have a beer with you AND i think you were At shakeshack so you were prepping For Green. BAY i like. That flying back he's probably jet.
Speaker 3: Lagged and, uh it's my second burger before eleven, am which is grabbing a.
Speaker 2: BEER i like. It. Uh and then these guys are out all last night going. Gambling, Yeah i'm so lucky to have you guys as my my backroom. Guys all, right coming, up we'll talk To Kurt, Warner Daniel. Jeremiah we will play the. Game we. Will are you guys ready for? This paulie wants at least two hot takes for the draft final. Hour Marvin todd Seton, paulie yours truly back after this