Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and The Dance Dan Patrick Show. Hall of Famer Charles Barkley will join us. Coming up a little bit, we'll play in or Out. You're either in or you're out. Hall of Famer Steve Young will join us in the final hour. The Boker Ratone Bowl and the Art of Sport LA Bowl brought to you by Gronk. Those games coming up tonight in case you're wondering Western Kentucky against James Madison cal versus UNLV.
Speaker 3: Those are your Bowl games.
Speaker 2: Later on today you have college basketball as well, including Xavier against Connecticut. Speaking of which you can catch Big East Basketball. It'll be the Yukon Huskies and they'll be back in action facing Butler on the road. That'll be Saturday in Indy. That's newon Eastern streaming live only on Peacock, which is where you can watch this program all three hours if you like, download the app if you haven't done so. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the Official Trading Cards. The Dan Patrick Show eight seven to seven to three DP Show Email Ondres Sdpatdanpatrick dot Com Twitter handle. The TP Show spent a considerable amount of time talking about the Falcons decision to bench Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 3: I agree with it. I didn't think they would do it.
Speaker 2: I thought they should have done it prior to last week when they beat the Raiders fifteen to nine. So even after a win, they bench him their game out of first place with three games to go, and I like that. Michael Pennix gets a home start for his first start as they face the Giants. Poll question seating from hour one and what are we going to go with an hour two?
Speaker 4: Let's see, right now, we got most awkward quarterback situation Falcons, Browns, Vikings, forty nine ers. Our audience has it in it exactly that order. I don't really feel like the Falcon situation is all that awkward necessarily, certainly not compared to the Browns. Vikings have a real decision to make, and the forty nine ers they got another massive decision to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're gonna spend that money.
Speaker 3: The Vikings is a good awkward? Is the Niners a good awkward?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you pay your quarterback? Do you want to pay your quarterback? Do you have another option? With your quarterback. You probably don't.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard anything from Rock Perty's representatives that there's going to be a team friendly deal. It'd be the same thing with Sam Darnold. If you said I get to play with those receivers in Minnesota or I'm gonna try to go to the Raiders. Let's say, well, I would take less to stay in Minnesota to be successful, to play in meaningful games. You've already played, you know, when you played with the Jets and you saw how that went. You're not a we can put the game plan on your back kind of quarterback. But can he run an offense? He's done extremely well. But I have those two receivers and they're locked up. I like my chances going. And I got that coach who's going to be the coach.
Speaker 3: Of the year. I like that situation a lot.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marv, if you're the forty nine ers, do you think do you think to yourself, Hey, if we did this with Rock Party, we can do it again.
Speaker 6: We can get another guy.
Speaker 5: For the past five or six years, this is the only team that's been a contender without a like legit franchise quarterback where they're legit have all the faith in they had Jimmy g then they draft Trey Lance after they get to the Super Bowl, then they get Brock Party. That falls in their lat.
Speaker 2: Well, can you bring Sam Donald back to San Francisco, Let's say half priced Sam Darnald full price Rock Party. If I'm really on Kyle Shanahan to develop these quarterbacks and you've already had him in the system, would you bring Sam Donald in for half the price of Rock Purty. And here's the thing, Sam Donald is two years older than Rock Purty.
Speaker 6: I believe.
Speaker 2: Maybe three. You're not even in his prime yet. And I'd strongly consider that. It's just it's a lot of money. If everything goes right. Rock Purty is a wonderful quarterback for you. But everything didn't go right this year and you're not going to make the playoffs. What are you going to do with Deebo? I mean, you've got all these big contracts here, somebody's paying the price, and then Rock Purty would pay the price on offense if you're not able to keep everybody, how long does George Kittle have Deebo gets banged up? I know they overspent for Brandon Ayuk, Christian McCaffrey. I mean, this might be with him the rest of his career.
Speaker 3: This injury.
Speaker 2: Now they've shown that they've got running backs who can come in by committee. But man, I'd have to strongly consider if I can get Sam Darnold for four years at four years at one p fifty Rock Purty four years, five years, two hundred and fifty million dollars. I mean that's the going rate, and fifty is a bargain. It feels like, you know, does he want Dak Prescott money? Man, this is where sometimes you can get into a situation where it's more money, but it's not the right move for you. I had an opportunity to leave ESPN at one point, and it was for more money, but it wasn't the right situation, and I really I debated it, but then I kept coming back to those four letters are so powerful, and it's still the place to go.
Speaker 3: If you're you know, doing Sports center.
Speaker 2: But the other place I would make more money and work less, and I had to move, and I decided it just doesn't it didn't make sense.
Speaker 3: Yes, Pauline, the.
Speaker 7: Going rate for the second contract for a quarterback who is destined to be a star is the Joe Burrow contract five years two seventy five. Yeah, I just heard the phrase from behind me. I don't know who said it. You guys are crazy, and that's sure.
Speaker 4: The topic, well, sounds like a classic toddline if I could be seating and his affection for brock Purty.
Speaker 3: Maybe possibly.
Speaker 4: However, if you remove brock Purdy from it and you just keep it on the Sam Donald thing, I'm very happy that Sam's having a good year. You already had Sam Donald in that building with the exact same players on a much cheaper salary, and you chose to not play him. You chose to let him go, You chose to You chose brock Purty over him. Why why in the world would you be like, ah, yeah, let's get him back again and pay him way more than we even want to try.
Speaker 2: If I thought rock Purty was already there and playing for you, and then you brought Sam Donald in right as a backup, right, well, you weren't going to play Sam like you were already playing brock Purty, and he'd played at a high level, so you're not. You're not bringing him in to compete for the job. You brought him in to be a backup.
Speaker 4: Right, However, you had you had the exact same scenario that you're laying out. You had Sam Donald in the building and you were watching him play every single day in your system with your players.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not saying you still chose brock Purty over him. Is he better than brock Purty or is it more cost efficient? So there'd be a difference in I'm gonna maybe I save one hundred million dollars with Sam Donald. Is that a better business decision than to give brock Purty that money? So that's what you know. Do I think Brock Purty is better than Sam Darnold?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do I think he's a hundred million dollars better?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I do not.
Speaker 2: And we've seen these rosters. They get decimated unless you have brilliant people like the Kansas City Chiefs have and they can plug and play, and they've already paid their quarterback, and he's a bargain.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I just think it's a whole lot of money for somebody that I don't know if I can tell Brock Purdy to go out there and win a game for me, I don't know if you can say that. And granted there's only a couple of quarterbacks that you can say that about. If I say Joe Burrows stand alone, I think everybody's going to go, hell yeah, Josh Allen stand alone, Hell yeah, Mahomes stand alone.
Speaker 3: Heck ya, Justin Herbert maybe maybe Dak maybe.
Speaker 2: So there's only a couple of those guys that you, you know, Jalen Hurts, maybe maybe you got five guys that you go stand alone starting my team. That guy he'll somehow, you know, make us better. A lot of the other guys are just complimentary. Lamar Jackson, Yes, I can count on him. I'm sure I'm leaving somebody else out.
Speaker 7: Yes, Pony Sam Darnold last year was the backup for the forty nine ers. He made four point five million. They tried to keep him, according to reports out there, and they offered him upwards of seven and a half million for a one year backup deal, and I sort of offered him ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting decision what San Francisco is going to do. But it sounds like I think I.
Speaker 3: And Rappaport had a report and Ian Apple report, and it.
Speaker 2: Was they were going to give him the full vote. I think that's what they're going to do in San Francisco. Maybe saw this in Seattle and then they were never the same. What else is on the poll.
Speaker 3: Their seaton other than those two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's what we're going with. Okay, I'm trying to work up one about getting benched after a win, which is just.
Speaker 3: But it didn't feel like a win, that's the problem. But it was it technically is a victory, Like the Chiefs have had an entire season. Now that didn't feel like a win, but it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they've had other wins that were wins in there were super Bowls.
Speaker 3: There some phone calls.
Speaker 4: You plug to say, you can win in the NFL and still lose.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, Trent Dilford called back the verse. Yeah yeah, let me see Aiden in Utah. Hi, Aidan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Up?
Speaker 9: I actually haven't watched a single game, but they've got a winning record, so we'll count that.
Speaker 1: Fritzy.
Speaker 10: We are going to the playoffs.
Speaker 11: But if you want to keep referring to us as them, you.
Speaker 10: Can stay behind.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want you to have some damn fad, Fritzy.
Speaker 8: I am very curious to see how Tomorrow night plays out. Wow, I'm gonna say the Broncos will beat the Chargers and we will get that tenth win and we will be in the playoffs. But we do in the playoffs, we'll see. But I am fully on board on bow Knicks and the Broncos being in the postseason.
Speaker 3: Go Broncos, No, Kah, there you go.
Speaker 6: D huge game too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounded really really comfortable. Confident James in Virginia. Hi James, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you for taking my call. Brother, Happy Wednesday, DP dannit to loot the Commanders, Man, I'll give you a team that Kirk Cousins will be on next year, the Stampon Cisco forty nine Ers reuniting with Kyle Sanahan. Man, I love that. And speaking of the Atlanta Falcons, how big was that tinke with Michael Pennants Junior. If he was coming out this year, he would be the number one tick over Shador Sanders.
Speaker 6: Definite.
Speaker 10: We believe that. So I'm really excited to see what he does. And I'm the older you monarch through and through, but I can't help but to be happy for Noffolk State University. Man, behold the Green and Gold Man. Michael Vig this is a hot bet of talent. In the seven five to seven, three state champions came from the seven five to seven. This year, Oster Smith, Moore and Phoebus Phoeves went four in a row. So I'm a little nervous man because though you might lose out on some players. But man, I'm so happy for him. And yes, it's not Norfolk, it's Nonfolk.
Speaker 2: I hope you Nofolk, it's not. It's like Louisville. It's not Louisville. It's Louisville and it's New Orleans. Yes, Marvin James, if you're still there, I got a question. Did you go to an HBCU or at least a HBC HBC.
Speaker 3: So he went to Old Dominion. He didn't go to a historically college. Here.
Speaker 5: You no HBCU homecoming I didn't finish. Oh, oh no, you don't know. I know HBC your homecomings way more important to going to HBCU.
Speaker 3: Okay, James, I've never.
Speaker 10: I've never been to the homecoming. But I will say one thing. Novel State has one of the best bands in the country, man, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, James Nofolk.
Speaker 5: The football games are that is fascinating halftime is game.
Speaker 2: Time, Tom and Charlotte. Then we'll take a break. Hey Tom, Hey Dan.
Speaker 9: Just figuring out that one of the best ways to listen to the show is on the on the weight line. Quite frankly, you feel like you're part of it. But I wanted to just jump real quick back to your NBA comments, and I feel like baseball has the same problem. And I called back in June about this. You know, Father's Day, you couldn't find a baseball game on TV. Yeah, I feel like the NBA has the same problem. You can't find it when you're watching TV. On Tuesday, you're watching FBI on CBS, you see a commercial about what game's coming on for the NFL this weekend. You don't watch TMT except for maybe this time of year because they got Christmas vacation marathons. You're not seeing the NBA promote their games. You don't know who's coming to town. You don't know what game is the big game this week. And the same thing happens to baseball. And to your point, yesterday you were saying, oh, they're fighting the behemoth NFL, They're fighting the college football behemoth. Two and between the two of them. They have sucked all the money from all the networks.
Speaker 2: Dry Well, Amazons spent a lot of money. There are a lot of TV partners who spent a lot of money, So NBC, Amazon, They've spent a lot of money. Charles Barkley will join is coming up next here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 12: Right, So check us out We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Hall of Famer Charles Barkley, Turners Sports Inside the NBA analysts back on the program.
Speaker 3: How you feeling?
Speaker 6: I'm great, brother, happy, Hanukah, Merry Christmas, all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Did you make any money in Vegas?
Speaker 6: I want a little bit. I had a great trip. I didn't lose money, but I want a little bit, so it was good.
Speaker 3: What is your game?
Speaker 6: I played blackjack?
Speaker 3: How much per hand?
Speaker 6: Twenty five thousand? Okay?
Speaker 3: And how many hands do you have in front of you?
Speaker 6: I play one hand unless I want to break up the deck, and I play two. Okay.
Speaker 3: You don't get like, could you just do one hundred dollars and be happy?
Speaker 10: Hell?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: Hell? No, No, I could not be happy. I'd be unhappy.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we've been talking about the NBA. The commissioners talk about the NBA. Seems like he's okay, ratings are declining a little bit. You got the NBA Cup. I don't know what that did for the interest of the game.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We start to look at this and I'm wondering, does the NBA have to do something like Major League Baseball's doing things where they got the bases bigger where I mean that commissioner is trying to do different things.
Speaker 3: Should Adam Silver be looking at that same model.
Speaker 6: I think we have to do something. You know, Dan, last time I was on your show, you asked me a great course, and you said, is it load management or just two many threes? And I said, it's really a combination of both. And you know, anytime old guys like I said something, we're hating on the young guys. But I watched the Warriors. I was in the sportsbook all day Sunday. I get me and the guys got up and watched football all day. In one of the games, I watched the Warriors play the worst played the Mavericks. It's one of the worst games I've seen. They just I think it was one forty one thirty. They just went up and down the court and shot threes like and I was like, man, this is awful to watch if you're just gonna have a three point shooting contest every night. So I think we got to figure out something because the most important thing of the game is the fans. Yeah, and if they're not watching, you can't keep your head in the sand. You got to say, what are we doing wrong? And like I say, it's frustrated for me because all it is now the three point shooting contests and a free throw contest, and I don't like it. And you know, like I say, they can get mad, but I don't want to go see a three point shooting contest every night. That ain't no fun.
Speaker 2: What if we capped the number of threes that you can take? Each team gets twenty five attempts, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm open for any suggestion. I mean, but like I say, we don't have to do something. I mean, ratings are down, down, down, And that's like I said that fans are the most important aspects of the game. We need the fans to be successful. You know, it's like it's like the All Star Game with throwing just stuff at the wall. We got a new model this.
Speaker 3: Year, and what do you think of that model?
Speaker 6: Well, I want to do anything to help the game, Dan. I saw Kevin Durant rip the new format. Dan, I don't know what you do, because what we've done in the last X amount of years is not working. It's not fun. So I've always suggested we do the United States against the World. I think that would be fantastic.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 6: I think it'd be fantastic. I don't know how this thing gonna turn out this year. But listen, let's be honest with what we're doing. What we've done the last few years is not working. Playing and simple.
Speaker 2: And it used to be that we kind of christened the NBA season at Christmas, that's when the season started. Just the fact that that seemed to be the logic is flawed. Like you don't really get excited about a game in October November, it's like, wait till Christmas Day. Well, now, the NFL just came in and said, hey, we're going to take over Christmas from you, NBA, and that's difficult.
Speaker 3: That's tough for them. Because it felt like they owned that day.
Speaker 6: I've you know, the best ratings we've ever had. What a year we got. It went on strike Dan and started on Christmas. I think we need to consider seriously consider of starting at Christmas because you get caught, Chaussen, you're wasting your time going up against the NFL and college They own the weekends now. But if I think if we started at Christmas, we'd have all the calendar. There's no other sports I mean that we'd have to compete with. If we started at Christmas, college football would be over, pro football is winding down. We'd have the entire calendar late December, January, February, March, April, May, June. To ourself, I think it's something we need to really consider playing and simple because listen, NFL's King Kong and you know in their greedy pigs. You know, first of all, I think what they're doing now is going to come back to bottom in ass because to make the kandisdate, the Chief Chiefs played three games in like ten days. That's just stupid. I mean, you got Patrick and Travis and Chris Jones, you got those guys. Like to make those guys play three games in ten days, just because it's popular and you sold it to different networks. That's, first of all, is not safe. It's kind of the same way. In my opinion, I'm really excited about this college football playoff, but I think it's very dangerous. You can't play as eighteen year old nineteen year old kids to play twelve thirteen regular season games then play four more games in the playoffs. I mean, because ninety nine percent of those kids gonna have CTE or gonna hurt their bodies and they're never going to the NFL. They've got to shorten this season because, like I said, the teams that win this playoffs gonna play four more games than it used to be two if you won a championship. But now if you're gonna play four extra games the goal, especially if you're in a comference like the Big Ten or the SEC where you play so many tough games. I'm really concerned about those kids' bodies and brains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know if college football really cares. They're now kind of paid.
Speaker 6: No then d D nobody cares.
Speaker 3: They're making so much they're adding an eighteenth game in the NFL. Everybody signs the money.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's what these players are gonna get in college. There's gonna be revenue sharing. They'll get more money with this, and they'll sign up for this. And you said, hey, the NBA should start on Christmas Day, Well, you have these playoff games. Now this weekend college football starts their playoffs. They're gonna what they would wipe away the NBA on Christmas Day because these games now matter, and you're gonna have your bowl season going into January. Then the NFL has playoffs. The NBA will get left behind if.
Speaker 6: But it'll be a short, little lead behind. And first of all, listen, let's let's kill these other balls. Let's stop these come on, man, like, if you're gonna have the playoffs, you don't need other.
Speaker 2: Bowls now, Yes, Charles, this is because ESPN needs programming.
Speaker 3: That's all this is.
Speaker 6: I understand that. Why don't they show NBA games on those days? Listen, man, and listen. I'm against I'm fundamentally against guys bowing out of bowl games. But if your bowl game means absolutely nothing, there's no reason for you to play in a meaningless bowl game. If you don't make the playoffs, why would you play in a bowl game. Doesn't makes zero sense to me. Whatsoever?
Speaker 3: Are you betting on the bowl games this weekend?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Probably, of course.
Speaker 3: Who do you like any upsets here?
Speaker 6: What name a game?
Speaker 2: Tennessee, Ohio State, oh I love Ohio State, Notre Dame, Indiana.
Speaker 6: Hey, but them idiots? I had them plus nineteen and a half. Man, I was I was throwing stuff at my TV. I was like, because you knew what was really scary about that game. You knew in the first half they're not gonna win by three touchdowns. And I was so pissed. So I'm a better on State one more time? Who else?
Speaker 3: Notre Dame Indiana.
Speaker 6: I love Notre Dame. I know coach Sinnetti has had a great season, but I want to meet Marcus Freeman. I've never met him, and Notre Dame's on my bucket list. Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan. There are three stadiums that on my bucket list. But I want to meet Marcus Freeman. But I know the Dame's gonna win that game.
Speaker 3: SMU, Penn State.
Speaker 6: They're not gonna win. A Happy Valley Dan, please stop they coach. Lastly, I got a chance to meet him one time. I'm a big fan of him. In the year he's had, him and coach Dillingham have been fantastic at ASU. They've done a fantastic job this year. But SMU is not gonna win a Happy Valley.
Speaker 3: Clemson Texas, now that is a really good game.
Speaker 6: I'm probably gonna go with Texas because they're playing at home. But listen, whether you hate it or not, they got some They got some good playoff games. So the committee, you know, I don't think anybody had a gripe. I don't think anybody had a real gripe this year. I know Alabama think they had a gripe. Uh they did not. Uh. South Carolina probably had a better grape. They're probably the hottest team in the country right now. Uh. But no, I mean these you know, they got some serious big schools. I mean when you get Notre Dame, Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas, when you get all these big schools, I mean obviously Georgia, Oregon, it's fantastic. So if you like college football, which I love football in general, you got great powerhouses.
Speaker 2: Talking to Charles Barky, Hall of Famer Turner Sports Inside the NBA analyst. Is your contract pushed over to ESPN's from Turner?
Speaker 3: Is that official?
Speaker 6: I haven't decided yet.
Speaker 3: How about we decide now.
Speaker 6: I'm listening to NBC and Amazon. I want to know everything that's on the table for me before I sign in. I mean, I love those guys at the ESPN, and if we end up there, you know, I'm gonna do the best I possibly can. But I want to know first of all, they haven't even given us any type of schedule whatsoever. But I be doing myself for disservice, not to meet with NBC, which I have, and meet with Amazon, which I have, And the number one thing I've told everybody, can y'all please give me a damn schedule? I mean, because nobody knows anything. Dan, I mean, like at least the TNT, I always knew day this is our schedule, neither not one of the three networks. And like I say, I love ESPN, I got nothing to get. But I wouldn't know how much I'm gonna be working, or you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be working a lot more than you think you're gonna be working. I think, well, no, you think I used to work there. I used to work there. I know what they do well, and.
Speaker 6: I know what y'all's do. Y'alls is not gonna be. They're not gonna work talls like no, damn dog no so so so seriously. Uh, like I said, I got a number of love and respect for ESPN. Uh Well, like I said, but I'm taking my time with NBC and Amazon. I I wanted in writing, Yes, how much do y'all think I'm going to work? Because TNT is a perfect place to work?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna work two nights a week?
Speaker 6: We don't even know anything?
Speaker 3: No, but what do you? You can tell them what you want to do well.
Speaker 6: I want to know what they're expecting. Are we gonna have the same schedule? Are we gonna have to do a BC, ESPN and tn T because tn T I think they have they originally wanted to keep doing something. So I'm not gonna be doing both and then add and I'm not gonna be doing ABC, ESPN and tn T. That's not gonna happen. I'm just like I say, if we go to ESPN, I got a number of love and respect for those guys, but I'm not gonna do ABC, ESPN and t N T. So I took my time meeting with the other two networks. Amen, And I don't want to hear y'all talk to me. I want to know. I want it in writing. I wanted in writing. How much were it going to work?
Speaker 2: What was this silly free throw shooting contest that Kenny shoots left handed and steven A Smith gets to shoot right?
Speaker 6: What do you do well, Kenny, who wrote a check his ass couldn't cash and he tried to cover it by in case stephen A beat him shooting left handed and he lost. And that's it. But you know stephen A does. He does a good job up at the Mothership. And uh, we got Like I said, Man, I wish somebody would give me some clarity.
Speaker 3: Dan, Wait, go back to the free throw shooting.
Speaker 2: If Kenny shot straight up against steven A, Kenny was an eighty three percent free throw shooter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was thirty years ago.
Speaker 3: You don't think Ken, You never come on. I can go out make eight out of ten right now?
Speaker 6: You can?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 3: Yes, bet what do you charity?
Speaker 6: Charity?
Speaker 3: What do you want to bet?
Speaker 6: I bet your charity? You set it up. I'll come somewhere. I'll donate twenty five thousand dollars to your favorite charity.
Speaker 3: You don't think I can make that eight out of ten free throws?
Speaker 6: No? I don't. Oh my god, I just said twenty five thousand dollars to your favorite charity. Right You'll be gagging out there. You'll be like talking like a dog.
Speaker 2: I know I'm a better free throw shooter than you are. Dan, you shot seventy three percent for your career. That's embarrassing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's not good.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you act like you're thirty five years old. You old.
Speaker 3: It's fifteen feet.
Speaker 6: Dan, you're old.
Speaker 3: I know sixty eight.
Speaker 6: You're seventy years old.
Speaker 2: Do you know Bird Bird could still make nine out of ten free throws right now?
Speaker 3: And Bird is old.
Speaker 6: I'll bet him he can't make it again, lad Bird? I love lad Bird. He can't make nine out of ten right now? This ain't this ain't to eight.
Speaker 2: Is a nighte Oh my god. It's just riding a bike. That's all it is. That's riding a bike. Okay, go back to the TV thing. Were you going to say something like getting some headlines here I scheduled. Did I interrupt you?
Speaker 6: No? Okay? Then then I want to.
Speaker 2: Wag the dog. You wag the dog. You got to two nights that you'll work.
Speaker 3: That's him.
Speaker 2: You have the dog. I mean load management. You you can be the Kawhi Leonard of TV analyst and you do load management.
Speaker 6: What I'm gonna do what was best for the I've always did what's the best for the network. And if you go back and look at my history, when TNT you you are, thank you for the camera. But think about this, Dan. I anything TNT has asked me to do, They're like, hey, what you do college basketball? I'm like, what a hept team. I'm like, sure, I'll do it. Didn't get any money for it. They said, hey, Chuck, what you had earned to do a podcast? I'm like, what a Hepta team, Let's do a podcast. I ain't a fan of money. They said, hey, what you start doing these matches. I'm like, what a hefty team. Sure, let's do it. I've never asked them for an extra dime for doing extra stuff, but if they traded, well we got traded to another networ work. I want to know exactly what's going on, because, like I say, I'm not gonna be doing five shows. I'm not gonna be working four days a week on in a network, either at NBC or Amazon. That's not gonna happen. I'm gonna sit in my fat black ass at home if it comes down, if they start telling, if they like I say, Dan, we work one day a week. I love our job, I love the people I work for. I'm not gonna go working one day a week to four days a week. That's not gonna happen. Now when I go to two, I probably could go to two. But if people think that I'm gonna work three or four days a week, they're freaking nuts.
Speaker 2: Why you're gonna have to do college game Day? There'll be a basketball show, there's gonna be a radio show. You're gonna have to be on Greenies Radio.
Speaker 3: Like hey Dad, first take, First Take, You'll have to be on first take.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you something. When you FaceTime me, then it'll be from Arizona. It won't be from anywhere else. If people think I'm gonna work on all this stuff, that's not gonna happen. Dan, you have my word on that, I'm not gonna be working all the time. Every time we do this a going forward, every time you face tied me, I'm gonna be at my backyard in Arizona, on my on my pud and green at the tennis court. I'm not gonna be working all the time, Dan, That's not gonna happen. Man to man, Dad, you know, I got a lot of love and respect for you. The notion that I'm gonna work all the time, that's not just it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Oh no, No, I'm just telling you, and I'm telling you. Okay, I'm telling you.
Speaker 6: You can tell me and I first of all, you are correct, and I'm telling you that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I hope that it doesn't happen. So you have Hey listen, why are you yelling at me?
Speaker 6: Obama? Hey, hey listen, Barack Obama. We don't have to keep hope alive. I am not gonna be working all the time.
Speaker 3: Dan, Okay, all right, on why you're yelling. I'm on your side.
Speaker 6: But because you think that they gonna just hey, we're gonna work you all time. No you're not. No, you're not. That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Okay.
Speaker 2: I said the same thing to uh Jason Kelcey. I said, just protect yourself because there's so many different programs platforms that they have to have people on, and that's that's the only thing I would say quality alike, Hey.
Speaker 6: Listen, and I you know, first of all, I love Jason Kelsey. He is so such a wonderful dude. And uh, I got to and I got to get back to him because he's doing a talk show now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you have Friday Night.
Speaker 2: So I think they got like, you know, he's gonna be a late night Jimmy Fallon type guy.
Speaker 6: Well, because I I he asked me to be on the show, I got to get back to him because I'm gonna try to make it work because I got a lot of love and respect for him.
Speaker 2: I think you should go out there and you're Philadelphia seventy six ers uniform that you had when you play.
Speaker 6: You talk about skin tight back in the that was hot. I would look so bad. You talk about skin tight in the eighties, it ski skin tight tight.
Speaker 2: Now I could actually see Larry's birds through his uniform.
Speaker 6: They would be so bad right now there.
Speaker 2: John Stockton, how about John Stockton with the short shorts?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they they'd be really short shorts. If I drop to put on shorts of.
Speaker 3: Good to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Thanks again, all right, brother Mary Christies, Merry Christmas and happy honkua to everybody. Bless y'all.
Speaker 3: All right, that's Charles Barkley. Take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: The beauty of Charles Barkley is he doesn't have to care. He can say what he wants and and he's wagging the dog in this situation. But that would be weird though, if Kenny and Shaq went to ESPN and Charles went to Amazon or went to NBC. Can you go as a package group? I mean, obviously that's what you want. I mean, you got to get Shack and Charles together, if Ernie's gonna do it as well, and then you know you put in Kenny as well. You know, it just sort of levels things out with them. You know, you got two big personalities. Kenny kind of brings them back to reality and Ernie lands the planes. But with Shaq, got to have him as well, and you throw Charles in there, and I look, my relationship with ESPN has been great the last ten twelve years. Prior to that, not necessarily the last three years I was there, not necessarily, and a lot of that, you know, like it could be my own doing as well. But I tell there's a lot of former athletes who I've spoken to, and by a lot, I would say fifteen, and they want to know about working for ESPN. Now, you could have Marquee guys. It could be Steve Young, it could be Shack, it could be Charles Barkley, it could be you know, there's a variety of guys that I've spoken to about if you go there, just understand, if you go there now, Charles won't be on campus. And if you're on campus, that's when you're on the morning show. You're on Get Up, you're on First Take, you're doing afternoons, you're you know a variety of things around the horn or part of the interruption. You'll be a guest if you like that, if you like that, if you like the airtime. It's a great place and they create stars there. But these guys who are already stars, they're not going to want to work that much. And Charles saying, look, I work one night a week. I'll work two nights, but you got to be careful. It's called the car wash for a reason. You go in there and they're like, hey, can you be here? Can you be here? Can you be here? They're trying to fill up programming. I mean, that's why you have all these bowl games. It's ESPN. It's so important for programming this time of the year. I understand it. I mean, you get games every single night. You're college football. You want to make sure that you have as many bowl games as punk. You don't care if somebody doesn't know that game or those teams, or care about UNLV and COW.
Speaker 3: They just want you to watch three hours of programming.
Speaker 2: In that programming they can advertise the other things they got coming up, the other shows that they have, the other football games.
Speaker 3: That's all it is. They just keep feeding the monster.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 3: Eric in Virginia, Hi, Eric, what's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 11: Good morning, Dan, How are you great?
Speaker 3: What's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Actually? I was thinking about the college football playoff. I'm a huge Oregon fan, which.
Speaker 6: We kind of got.
Speaker 11: Messed up with Ohio State didn't sy but I will pass that. I was actually wondering if you guys were doing a like pick them or something like that, where you guys were.
Speaker 3: Picking the Oh, we'll do a bracket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll pick you know, a bracket challenge kind of like what we did with the mc douaa. But thanks for the phone call. By the way. Coming up, we'll play in or out. We'll have some topics and we'll find out if we're in or out. It's that simple, Todd. You're either in or you're out.
Speaker 8: No need to say anything other than in or out.
Speaker 2: Well, you've still managed to say more than just do better. Yeah, that's okay. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. See would you update the poll results from hour two if you could please?
Speaker 8: Heck?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well okay, poll results I got right now. The Falcon's decision to bench Kirk Cousins is smart or desperate. That's at fifty one percent smart, forty nine percent say it's desperate.
Speaker 3: How about that? Okay.
Speaker 4: We also have the most awkward quarterback situation in the NFL. In order, it's Falcons Brown's Vikings forty nine ers.
Speaker 3: I don't think i'd agree with that.
Speaker 2: Todd had a poll question, now that it's over, how concerned are you about experiencing NBA Cup withdrawal.
Speaker 6: That's a question that needed to be asked.
Speaker 8: People get all shaky and nervous and they need a lot of coffee after not having the cup.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give you a bloop bloop for that one. That's very funny. That's good.