Speaker 1: I dropped Indy off at school this morning, and uh, on the way home, I was like, I am so happy right now, Like I'm so excited for the day and I'm feeling all fulfilled, and I'm like, what is it?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Why am I feeling so good? And then I realized it's because it's raining. I love it. And have you guys heard of seasonal effective disorder?
Speaker 4: Sure, the opposite, I have the opposite, right, Okay, you have happy?
Speaker 3: Right? I get so happy too, and I have to Okay, you're the same way.
Speaker 5: I'm the same way.
Speaker 2: So here's the question.
Speaker 1: And this is I feel like we have so we might just have a lot of mental health professional listeners, people who do this for a living and can weigh in on this. And I'm curious how you guys feel about it. Is that like just intrinsic to me that I just like cold weather and rain? Or is it purely contextual? And if I lived in Seattle, Yeah, and I was there for like a month, I'd be miserable.
Speaker 3: You think it's purely I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Whatever, you whatever, you constantly have all the time you want, anytime it changes, it's good, right, So I feel the same way where I hear it ray like there's nothing like you wake up in the morning here you hear the rain on your rat You're still curled up in bed.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, this is going to be a magical day.
Speaker 7: But it's also like if you know you're having a storm that weekend, and then for just that weekend, you change your plans. We're not going to go out, We're going to stay in fires hot cocoa. Let's order in some food every if every day for months on end, you have to go out in the rain, work in the rain, see your friends in the rain. Like your clothes are always wet, You've got to take a hat and your gloves.
Speaker 5: It's like you would just be over it, Okay.
Speaker 1: But then if that's the case, which I pretty much agree, then shouldn't the goal for all of us humans be to find its variety and seasons?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Like shouldn't we want to live places where they're not too extreme?
Speaker 3: But that's just.
Speaker 1: And it never lasts more than like two months in one road, right because what ends up happening?
Speaker 3: Right, Like everyone in the East.
Speaker 1: Coast wants to live in Florida or Phoenix or La right because they're like especially as they get older.
Speaker 3: It's like that's where everyone retires.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the wrong impulse because then you're just going somewhere where it's just always hot, always sunny.
Speaker 6: So I was just in Connecticut last week, and Sue was back in Massachusetts, and we always talk about, like when we're back there for a very short amount of time, we're like, man, you know, living here, I could definitely leave LA and just come. And then we go for this same week sometimes in August, and the bugs are insane and the humidity is awful, and they're like, okay, so I wouldn't want to do the summers. And then we go in the winter and we're like, oh my god, it's cold and awesome. And by day four, where all the snow is gray and it's on everything and you're stamping stuff out, you're like, well, I don't want to be here in the winter either, So then you kind of go that doesn't think it.
Speaker 5: Just like spring and spring and spring like spring.
Speaker 2: But the question we literally did this.
Speaker 6: We went on and we were like trying to find the place of the happy medium, and what we kind of found is certain parts.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not, of Colorado that are.
Speaker 6: Not you're not in the mountains and you're not in the lower parts of Colorado, but kind of in the middle right there. You know, two towns of Colorado perfect perfect weather all the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's where we're just gonna have to congregate.
Speaker 6: Is We're gonna have to find the one town in Colorado that is the perfect weather.
Speaker 2: And go there.
Speaker 7: Is it wrong for me to want to cut this from the podcast that I just I don't want everyone.
Speaker 5: In Colorado.
Speaker 2: We could commune.
Speaker 1: Let's go, I mean the pod meets commune, invite our listeners, we commune, you know, get it gone.
Speaker 3: Danielle can be our cult leader.
Speaker 5: I'm not proposed. I'm not opposed to it.
Speaker 2: Is there gonna be weird sex stuff. We've talked about this sect.
Speaker 3: There gonna be a division.
Speaker 5: I don't want to stop anyone, you know, so like I would, I was.
Speaker 3: A great leader.
Speaker 1: She she will allow us to form our own little sex.
Speaker 6: Of course it would be the Yes, the Colorado Daniettes will be on the news, will definitely make the news as the Colorado is like this is a weird hippie commune.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it always ends well with cults. We'll have a documentary that'll.
Speaker 1: Get twenty years from now, there'll be a retrospective that'll be like what went wrong exactly? Danielle got power hungry, she did all the pangas.
Speaker 3: She made us all court ballroom dancers. For some reason, it's like, this is the best workout. This is what you need to do. Everyone.
Speaker 4: Everyone your flexibility?
Speaker 5: How is your flexibility?
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on Jive Night.
Speaker 3: Let's do it all right? Colorado like, yeah, Boulder.
Speaker 2: Area, we'll find the area. We'll start the colt.
Speaker 7: What about Montana? I like Montana. Montana have some of that.
Speaker 6: I think some of that. Yeah, we're also more off the beaten path in Montana. I think we can get away with more weird cult stuff. And yeah, although I've never.
Speaker 2: Been Wow really no, it's one of like the three states I've never been to. Never been Idaho either.
Speaker 7: So you know, I'm proud of it.
Speaker 3: All right, So we'll start looking at land.
Speaker 1: We're gonna need like probably like five hundred acres if we're inviting all of our a lot of land, and Montana than Colorado.
Speaker 6: A lot of Oh that's right, daniel is going to need a bougie Colt we're gonna be We're gonna be flowing all our money.
Speaker 5: If you think this.
Speaker 2: Col there's prices for weird sex stuff.
Speaker 7: Whatever you guys decide to gift me is is up to you. I'm not going to ask for anything, but as your leader, you may feel like you want to gift me things.
Speaker 5: But like there's no there's no like judgment about it.
Speaker 3: Income would be nice to have.
Speaker 7: I mean, tithing is what we do here, and I will share it with you, you know, I will. I will like when I buy the private jet, we would all be able to go on it.
Speaker 6: It all starts like that, and then it's just you taking the private jets somewhere, riders bearing bodies.
Speaker 2: In the woods. I mean, it's going to get fat because that's going to be your job.
Speaker 5: Oh, I see that. I've just Daniel.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be pointing and it's going to be us doing her. And they'd be like you said there was a private jet. She's like, there is. It's just not for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's for me to get out of here when the bodies are found.
Speaker 2: Exactly excited.
Speaker 3: God we got there from seasonal effective disorder.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm happy, guys. Time to start a cult free show chatter all right in the gutter.
Speaker 5: Welcome to pod meets World. I'm Danielle Fischal, I'm right.
Speaker 2: Or strong, I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's Danielle Fischle, podcaster, TV director, recent Dancing with the Stars contestant, and mother of two. But to ninety percent of the pop culture stratosphere, I am forever to Panga Lawrence, a character I played from the ages twelve to nineteen on the nineties family sitcom Boy Meets World. I spent my entire teenage years on TV, inside millions of homes and in front of a live studio audience. From my first kiss to my first haircut, absolutely everything was caught on camera. So now, thirty years later, it's time to turn the tables. For my new podcast, teen Beat with Danielle Fischel, I'll be sitting down with other celebrities to unearth the details of their untelevised upbringings. Since their first pimple wasn't broadcast as part of the TGIF block of shame, the least they can do is share it with me. Now, I'm asking guests to open their childhood diaries and reveal embarrassing fashion choices, school crushes, dramatic friend fallouts, using our nostalgic and awkward pasts as a roadmap to understand who we are today, and you, as listeners, will also get to share your stories with us. I promise we won't laugh too much. So it's time to make things fair. I gave you my childhood, It's time I hear yours. Listen to teen Beat with Daniel Fishle starting on January seventh on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 8: I'm Kristin Davis, host of the podcast Are You a Charlotte? The most anticipated guest from season three is here the Tray to My Charlotte. Kyle McGlaughlin joins me to relive all of the magical Tray in Charlotte moments. He reveals what he thinks of Trey giving Charlotte a cardboard baby.
Speaker 9: Why would I bring her a cardboard baby? I was literally I was like, this doesn't track for me at all.
Speaker 8: When he found out Trey's shortcomings, I'm.
Speaker 9: Kind of excited to talk about. You know, I think he's a guy spends time in Central Park. You know, he's probably don't need to be some surgery stuff, you know, And I was like, all this kind of stuff going on, and they were like yeah, yeah, yeah, fine, and they said, but he's impotent, and I was like, he's.
Speaker 8: Impotent, and why he chose not to return to it?
Speaker 9: Just like that, they came and presented an idea and I was like, I get I see it.
Speaker 2: It's so kind of a one joke idea.
Speaker 4: You don't want to miss this.
Speaker 8: Listen to Are you a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, Yes, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 7: It is a rare occurrence that we get offered a podcast guest who perfectly captures what it felt like to be a young actor in the wild and wonderful world of the nineties and early two thousands. Whether it's the auditions, the heartbreak, the friendships, the rapid fire fame.
Speaker 5: Or the supposed big breaks that.
Speaker 7: Were canceled during season one, they are all topics we hope to address with honesty and humor on the podcast, but very little of us have done it as well or effortlessly as this week's guest. Before she became the multi hyphen a force she is now, she was also one of those kids hustling between sets, memorizing lines in the car, and navigating an industry that didn't exactly hand out survival guides from Freaks and Geeks to Dawson's Creek. As a young adult, she was part of shows that helped define a generation. She's one of those rare people who can make you laugh, make you think, and make you feel slightly better about the absolute chaos of your own youth. Because she has been extremely open about hers, we love a guest who's lived it, learned from it, and isn't afraid to give you the whole story. So please welcome to Pod meets World. Busy Phillips.
Speaker 4: Hi, guys, Hi, Hi, thank you so much for being here. I rilled.
Speaker 7: I have to ask this question. How many people do you tell to go watch the movie The Gift? Because it is a criminally underrated masterpiece. I tell everyone about it.
Speaker 4: I'm in it. I know, I'm not even kidding. I don't think I've ever seen it. What Yeah? And in fact, my god like my godson, my best friend's son, who's uh nineteen, Now, I guess woa. He texted me not long ago and he's like, WHOA, I'm watching the craziest movie and.
Speaker 5: It's so good in your yes, it's so.
Speaker 4: Joel Edgerton right here wrote it and directed it.
Speaker 7: It is an incredible movie. And I literally talk to everybody about it.
Speaker 5: At some point.
Speaker 7: It comes up like underrated movies that people need to see.
Speaker 5: You've got to see The Gift. Writer will walk us through this, okay.
Speaker 7: It's a really great movie about a guy who was bullied or not treated very well as a kid who comes back into this kind of family's life.
Speaker 4: And Hall and Jason Bateman right correct, and it's kind of a dream team. It's a thriller, but that's also got some comedy in it.
Speaker 5: But it is. It's just good.
Speaker 7: It's riveting, and it's criminally underrated and nobody knows about it.
Speaker 5: And I'm always like, you have to see The Gift. So anyway it I know, it feels like a real shame.
Speaker 4: It is, but I think it was like one of those times in my life where I had very small children. I mean, I know it was okay, I had like like Cricket was still like a baby basically, and and I was filming Cougartown I think at the same.
Speaker 5: Time, and things going on.
Speaker 4: I did and like, and so I couldn't go to the premiere of it. And then, you know, I don't know about you guys as performers as actors, but I do find it a little strange sometimes to like just I'm gonna sit down and watch myself. So I never really saw the movie. Ye, but honestly, you're selling it to me.
Speaker 7: I want to see I want everyone to watch it this weekend. It's a rainy weekend in Los Angeles. Just please put on put on the gift.
Speaker 6: It's a twenty fifteen psychological thriller or a couple encounters a figure from the husband's past who begins to torment them with unsettling gifts.
Speaker 2: Yefts.
Speaker 4: And they had a really I do remember this because a few people had reached out to me. They had a really funny marketing campaign where they would they were finding out I mean, these are twenty fifteen, it's like sort of the early days of influencing, influencer marketing. But they like found out weird things about actors and influencers and sent them get creepy presents, yes, like based on like things they couldn't have known. I actually remember I remember the marketing campaign more because I feel like people were reaching out to me like, what is this That is.
Speaker 5: This thing that you guys are doing.
Speaker 6: You should also not confuse it with the Gift from two thousand with Kate Blanchette and Holmes.
Speaker 4: Is in it? Kate Holmes, isn't that gift? Okay?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: And Hillary Swank?
Speaker 5: Wow Holmes and Swank.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, Well, I want to start now that I've gotten that movie out of the way, I want to start with your acting origin story. You were raised in Arizona, right, You were a Scottsdale Chaparral grad.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's correct, correct? Was he? You got it nailed?
Speaker 7: It was Hollywood always in your sights growing up.
Speaker 4: Were you a theater kid? Yeah, I it at all. And I like, from the time when I was in elementary school wanted to I was watching you guys, and I was like, why am I not there yet? And my mom was like, because busy, I'm not giving up my life for you, and I was like, okay, fair, fair, Now that I have she was a real estate agent, my dad's an engineer. I mean, they're retired now, but I really relate to this deeply now because my own seventeen year old daughter has done some acting, and there's just nothing worse than being a parent on set.
Speaker 7: I know, I know Rider is also starting to experience this a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, writer, how old is.
Speaker 3: Your He's only ten, he's turning eleven. So far, he's only done voiceover. That's like all we're allowing him to do.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's mostly I mean since his voiceover, it's not that bad, but it's pretty boring, and it's just so hard to keep your mouth shut and you just have to like go and be like the person that nobody cares about, nobody wants on the set, and you just have to sort of be like, yep, here I am. I guess I'll just read my book and hope my kid is well directed because I know. Yeah, and then like there have been times when somebody's not great at giving him notes and I just want to jump in and be liked me.
Speaker 4: Just wait, I fully did that this summer. I like actually was like told the director what to say to her to like so funny, Well.
Speaker 7: You know her better than they do. You know, what's going to get something out of her more than they will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I just felt like I could just see it. I just saw her the wheels turning in her brain, and I was like, I know exactly what you need to say to her to get her to do what you need her to do. Yeah, but it is wild. So anyway, that was so my mom was like, no, rightfully, So your parents were all saints, I imagine, and uh or I don't know, I don't I actually no idea, but they were also I mean, I read Jeanett McCarty's book, you.
Speaker 7: Know what I mean. We didn't have any of that experience on this.
Speaker 4: This is fantastic. But uh, I was always planning to go to Los Angeles for college because I wanted to start working as soon as I could. And in my junior and senior year of high school in Arizona, I like got a local agent and I got a local commercial and I did this Mattel Toy fair job as a barbie, a live barbie, which was like an acting job in quotation marks and.
Speaker 5: What kind of barbie were you?
Speaker 4: I was the Clueless doll from the TV show, The Clueless TV show that was based on the movie.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, that starting show was on for a period of time.
Speaker 4: Correct, Correct, and I was in high school when I heard, like on you know, the radio, the morning news radio, that they were casting a clueless TV show, and I was like, oh, I have to be share. I mean obviously it was like already cast because I'm in Arizona listening to it on the news. And that was what like forced me or what I how I convinced my mom that I needed to get a local agent because I was like, I want to audition for the Clueless TV show, which obviously it was already cast. But then I got this job being the Clueless doll for Mattel the next year, and honestly the I met an actress from LA who was a Barbie girl as well. Her name is Lisa Guerrero, and she introduced me. When I moved to LA and I went to Loyal Marymunt University, she introduced me to the woman that became my first manager. Oh signed me and then like got my agents and then it just was like very quick after.
Speaker 2: That, did you slide? Did you slide down the LMU letters?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Is that a thing?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 6: That's I got into LMU and was going to go and so I spent like a week there to figure out what I was going to do, and everyone's like, you gotta slide down the letters. So they brought everybody to the LMU letters and slid down the letters.
Speaker 5: Yeah wait what No, I didn't know about that.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 5: You can still do it, maybe, you know.
Speaker 7: I was too busy working, never too old to slide down the lula.
Speaker 1: Wait when you went to LMU, were you going for acting film or were you doing a backup option?
Speaker 4: No, I was going for like I was the theater major and an English minor. But I was really sort of like Laser, focused on getting an agent as soon as I could and trying to start working. And so the summer after my freshman year, I went and did a drama program in England and at the Oxford School of Drama, Like there's summer program. It was really fun and then, uh, you know who did it? Do you know the actor Zach knighton do you know Happy Endings? You know that show?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: On that show. Anyway, he and I were there together in England. And then I came back and Lorraine, you know, I went and auditioned for agents and I got, you know, a small agency picked picked me up, and then that's spring that pilot season. I got Freaks and Geeks.
Speaker 7: That's what I was going to ask you. How quickly then, did you read for Freaks and Geeks?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was right away, Yeah, it was right away.
Speaker 5: What was that audition process?
Speaker 4: Like it was really fast?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Did you know anything about like did you know of jud Apatow or Paul Figue No, no, because they I mean Jud had done Larry Sanders, but I did.
Speaker 4: We didn't have HBO growing up, so I didn't. I didn't know really what it was. And I think Paul had just written the movie Heavyweights at the time, but like I didn't, I didn't know what that movie was. And I had gone in for a general meeting at NBC and Grace Wu, who's now I believe the head of casting for all of NBC UH was one of the associate casting people at NBC, and she really was lovely to me and liked me a lot. In my general meeting and she's like, you know, we have this pilot. I'll give you the script. You should read it, but you should definitely go in for it. Alison Jones is casting it. It's called Freaks and Geeks, and I remember, like literally remember her pulling the script out and handing it to me. And I had auditioned for Roswell. That was the same season as Roswell that my college boyfriend Colin Hanks got cast on Wow. So I had auditioned for Alison for Roswell, and so she brought me right in there was I didn't pre read. You know, guys, if you're listening to this, I'm sure you know, but a preread is where you read just for the casting director. Yeah, so I got to just go straight to the producers. And I was auditioning for Lindsay Weir for the main girl because kim Kelly wasn't a character yet in the pilot. And I did my read and then I think it was I think it was Paul that was like, hey, busy, we have this other part. Would you take a look at it and come back in and give it a shot. And so, you know, it was like one of those things. I went outside for ten minutes and then went back in and did my Kim Kelly audition, which is in the DVD extras if anybody has them, and uh, and from that I was cast on the show because they didn't test that part. I didn't have to screen test for that part because it was initially just a guest star for the for the pilot, which is also why I'm not in the opening credits. But they added me as a series regular after the show got picked up.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you can watch your audition from yea from back then. How do you feel about it now when you watch it back? Are you like, oh, that makes sense? Or are you like what were they thinking?
Speaker 4: Well, it's so funny because I did a podcast like a year and a half ago and they played it for me like I hadn't watched it, and so, I mean, I hadn't watched it in so long and they played it for me, and I mean, it's really cute. Don't you die when you look at when you watch yourselves?
Speaker 2: Hmm?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't like it. I don't love it. You don't want, you know, not really.
Speaker 2: For the most part, I love watching myself. I hate watching both of them.
Speaker 5: Difference.
Speaker 7: That sounds about right. So did you not have to chemistry test with everyone? Like as the cast was rounding out there was none of that. You basically just auditioned for the producers went out for ten minutes, came back read for Kim Kelly and then that was it.
Speaker 4: You had the job, and that was it. They to be the job. But what was crazy is that Linda Cardelini and Linda Cardlini and I have the same birthday, but she is four years older than me, and she was, I guess technically like on a break from LMU because she had been working so much. But so she was essentially like a senior when I was a freshman, but she wasn't go actively going to school, but she was around, like I knew because the theater department, like everybody knew her. She was kind of like the star of the theater department. And so I was already friends with her. And I ran into her at LAX when I was picking up my boyfriend Colin Hanks and she was picking up her roommate. And remember when you were young and you had to pick people up at the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well now you're married, I still have to.
Speaker 7: Still doesn't he doesn't do the uber situation. He just goes and picks people up.
Speaker 4: Well, you're maybe a good person.
Speaker 2: I like to think.
Speaker 6: So I love my wife too, She's pretty cool. So yeah, I'd rather go pick her up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's rad. Well anyway, I ran into her and she had just gotten the part, and I had been offered the part of Kim Kelly, and my agents at the time were a little bit like, we don't know if you should do it because it's just a guest star and it's early in pilot season and we feel like you're going to get a Silens regular like a pilot you know, it's like one of those things where and I really didn't know what to do. But running into Linda, she was like, dude, I just got it, and jud told me that you're going to be Kim Kelly. They want you for Kim Kelly. You go, you gotta do it. And it just was like as soon as I saw her and found that out, I was like, oh, well that obviously this is what I'm doing. Because also I was so nervous to do my first actual real job and to have someone like Linda with next to me or you know, sort of showing me the ropes. I mean, she taught me everything from like what to order at craft services to like how to make your trailer really how to turn on the heat and your trailer yes, and then like all the on camera stuff Like she's like, I like to pick a place to look like, I didn't know, you don't know any of that stuff. Yeah right, I mean you guys were kids who taught you our directors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on set we were so young, it was like, yeah, you had to just be told like open to camera, you know in multicam, like that whole idea of like pulling your shoulders and standing on your.
Speaker 2: Lap, do all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, definitely, But wait, so you hadn't taken any like on camera acting classes.
Speaker 3: It was all theater stuff up until then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they didn't even like I don't even think that they kind of I don't think they offered that at LMA, Like I don't think that was in anything. And I mean I didn't have a ton of I worked at California Pizza Kitchen. I didn't like have a ton of money. So I wasn't like paying to do those classes. You would see, you know, the film acting or you know acting for the camera classes. You would like see you know whatever advertised all over town. Right, So I don't. I just didn't. And I was a kid. I mean I was like nineteen, I got Yeah, I was nineteen.
Speaker 2: I'm curious which CPK you worked at?
Speaker 4: Marina del Ray, honey.
Speaker 6: That's so when my brother moved out to Los Angeles for a year back in nineteen eighty something, that's.
Speaker 2: Where he worked.
Speaker 6: We really the marina run the Marina Delway CPK, and he left with a bunch of recipes and we still make the bar. I have the barbecue chicken pizza two nights ago at our house.
Speaker 5: Who has the buttercake recipe? Do they do?
Speaker 4: They offer that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Good question, we have we can find it.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's the buttercake? What is that from? CPK?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 7: I get it every year on my birthday and Mother's Day. Wow, sometimes when it's.
Speaker 1: Just a Wednesday and you might get it later today. And now that we're talking about it, and I just.
Speaker 4: Tell you, I really love that. You guys like Alforni you Pizza Kitchen.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorite restaurants.
Speaker 3: I could do without it. Me too. Chicken and pizza not right.
Speaker 6: Sure, don't eat that, don't don't get you tell your pizza so don't even start talking to me.
Speaker 7: Is incredible, the best, the best thing ever. When they took it away for a while used to make a b L T pizza which is really also came back pizzo, the Kung Pou spaghetti with shrimp.
Speaker 3: Good franking food, making great.
Speaker 2: Salads to salad.
Speaker 3: Good salads.
Speaker 7: Yeah, chicken salad with no tomatoes add avocado.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm extra tomatoes.
Speaker 5: I could do without tomatoes. Take them away. I'll get you.
Speaker 2: There's good food. So writers not interested?
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome back to PODK.
Speaker 4: I like, I hate that I live in New York now and there's no California pea to kitchen here. And I did an ad campaign for them last year, and I because they turned forty last year, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: Can you go belly it?
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I mean in the freezer section.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 4: But I was trying to convince them to do a pop up in New York and they were like, I mean we're I think we're okay. I was like, okay, we're good.
Speaker 7: We're good on that thing. So we're not going to go to the market where nobody knows who we are. That's not that's not a great idea. Did you know how good Freaks and Geeks was while you were making it?
Speaker 4: Yes, I think we did. I'm not in the pilot, not during the pilot, I don't know what, because I was also just like I have no idea what's happening, you know what I mean. But I think once we started, once I saw the pilot, I was like, oh, wow, this is a thing, Like this is real, and not only that, like really good, uh because I think tonally I sort of just didn't even on or stand what it was. I mean talk about it was ahead of its time, right, So so I think it was really hard even for me. But I was a huge my so called life fan, and so it like sort of reminded me of that, but funnier and anyway, Yeah, I think once we started filming the series, we all had this understanding that what we were doing was really great. And you know then also, like I said, my college boyfriend Colin Hanks was on Roswell and they were filming basically, well, they were filming at Paramount across the street from we were at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood, So it was kind of like perfect fun and yeah, you know, like all those kids and our cast would hang out and it was just really great.
Speaker 7: Well, it's definitely become one of the seminal shows of its generation. It's but it's an infamous first season cancelation, winning an EM once it was already off the air, but sparked the careers of not only You, seth Rogen, Jason Siegel, John Francis Day, Martin Starr. It's a stacked launching pad. But yeah, at the time that it then didn't take off, was that absolutely devastating?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, it was crazy and I just felt like, now what right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: You're like that was incredible? How did that not go?
Speaker 2: You can only go downhill from there? Is what you think when you leave, Like, what do I do now?
Speaker 4: But I think that's right. I mean I think that's right. Like we I really was. So my world was rocked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But within the industry it was beloved, right, I mean, like everyone knew that it was a good show with a stacked cast.
Speaker 3: You didn't feel that you didn't eventually.
Speaker 4: Feel that didn't Yes, but that didn't happen for years. Wow, right, Like this was nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 6: It does have a special place in Hollywood where it's it's one of those shows like like Leslie Nielsen's Original Police Squad where it's it was so ahead of its time that you do six, eight, ten episodes and then people find it years later and they go, what the hell, how is this not the biggest thing on TV? And so yeah, there's there's what I'm trying to think, four or five shows in history of television.
Speaker 1: I feel like I knew about it back then, Like I feel like it was when it was happening. There was conversation when was Linda on our show in relation to After?
Speaker 3: It was after four?
Speaker 5: It was four.
Speaker 4: Because that was it was a big deal at LMU that she was on. I totally forgot about this, Like we all watched it. This was a huge deal. Okay, so she did after Wow.
Speaker 3: So that so you guys were doing ninety eight, ninety nine then were it was? It was.
Speaker 4: Ninety nine pilot season, and then it was ninety nine, two thousand, canceling two thousand. We did nineteen episodes.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 2: So she had already broken up Corey into Panga by that point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was already the villain.
Speaker 5: She was already a villain.
Speaker 7: It, by the way, won an Emmy for Outstanding Casting for a Comedy.
Speaker 3: S Oh yeah, Alison Y. Yeah, she's a legend, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Alison Jones incredible.
Speaker 1: I mean she cast the original pilot for Boyby World too, so she did yeah, yeah, which means she only she cast me in this call and the only one. But yeah, because she she did the pilot and then I don't I mean, I don't even really remember meeting her, but that's who I auditioned for the first time. And then yeah, so she put the original pilot together of Boybe World and then recast and then you know, changed as we went. But yeah, yeah, she's amazing. Yeah, look at you look at her work and you're like, oh, she like literally found so many people before they were anybody, and she always goes for the interesting choice and the good actor.
Speaker 3: It's yeh, she's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very she's very cool. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well that was the other thing about Freaks and Keys at the time is we're we're in the late nineties early aughts at this point, so you're still in beautiful teenage shows. It was all gorgeous people standing there and and geeks as you know, obviously Linda's beautiful, busy, beautiful, but they were they came off as real. It was like they were they were casting for real people as opposed to just it's soap opera actors but that can hit their marks for a sitcom, it was freaking and Geeks was like, can we can we cast some real people that can act and are funny and amazing and you want to watch? And that was that kind of started a whole new trend in television in the early odds. It got away from from being like, who's who's the best looking guy.
Speaker 2: And girl we can put on this show? It was like, who's who's the best?
Speaker 4: Part? Well, I think it's also was like that era of teen shows. It was like right when Dawson's Creek had come out, you know, it was like a year and a half a year or two after that, so it was like Felicity and Dawson's Creek and the WBU was really like having its moment right and they were casting the most beautiful people objectively and not for nothing. I actually I think that in that world, like I didn't I wasn't that. I did not I wasn't hot like that, you know what I mean? Like I wasn't a hot teen. I'm actually like a super hot forty woman in her forties. But like, but like I wasn't I really wasn't a hot. I wasn't hot as a teenager. I was like weird and a little I don't know like and I wasn't like that era was very specific of what the beauty was, do you know what I'm saying, and that I just did not I didn't really fit into it. I remember reading a review of Freaks and Geeks that was like, you won't find any beautiful people here, and I was a little bit like, well, I mean, okay, and that's.
Speaker 3: All right right.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, Hey.
Speaker 2: It's Wilfred Dell and Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 6: From the podcast Magical Rewind, and we have a very special guest on this week episode. He's the mastermind behind some of your favorite movies like Hocus Pocus, Newsy's The Descendants, and of course.
Speaker 2: High School Musical.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is the one and only a living legend director Kenny or Tega.
Speaker 10: We sit down with Kenny to talk about his incredible career and the legacy he's created with his choreography and films.
Speaker 2: You seriously will not want to miss this one.
Speaker 10: Listen to Magical Rewind on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 7: Well, soon after Freaks and Geeks, you find yourself cast on another show every young actor wished they were on, including all of us on the Zoom And that's Dawson's Creek. Before you join the cast in season five, had you been watching it like everyone else?
Speaker 4: Now, I missed it. It wasn't me. It wasn't for me. Waits Actually, I still have never watched.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so funny. You've never seen anything you've been in.
Speaker 4: I know. I mean that's not necessarily true. I definitely have watched things I've been at, but like, yeah, I just wasn't. I wasn't. There were people in my college, like freshman year who definitely watched Dawson's every week one hundred percent. I did watch Felicity. I was a Felicity girl. I loved that show and then became friends with Scott Speedman years later, and it always cracks me up. It still cracks me up. He's like, I just love him, But yeah, like, I don't know what else did I watch? I don't know what I was watching.
Speaker 7: Well, sometimes joining a cast in season five can be a little daunting. Everybody's already super close and everyone has their own way of doing things. Did you feel welcome right off the bat in that cast, on that set.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I mean I think it's like very I think being a guest star on any long running show coming in for one episode is like the scariest thing. I was added to the cast. I had to test. I had to do like a full studio network test for it, and they were adding me, and they I think they tested Chad Michael Murray for he was sort of recurring that year. I don't know, it was. Yeah, it was like intimidating also because it wasn't being filmed in LA. It was in Wilmington, North Carolina, So I basically had to like relocate right to a place you're not familiar with at all, and I didn't know where to live, and like it was Yeah, it was hard. It was and I was twenty one, Like it was very It was tricky, and it was less that like they were all so close at that point. They were all just like this was the job, and they all had their own lives, you know, that were established, like really well established. But Michelle and I met the first person I met when I got to town. Everybody was put up in the same small, little boutique hotel in Wilmington. It was called literally the Woman Tonian. I know, I don't know if it still is, but that's what it was. And uh, James Vanderbeek was staying there because he like something had happened with his house or he was something. I don't know, I don't remember what happened, but like some construction or something, and he couldn't move in yet. And so I met him first, and he was so nice, and he was like, I've heard the best things about you. I heard your audition was incredible. Like, he was so nice. And then Michelle was across the street at this little like stop and go place, picking up like gatorade and fig Newton's and she walked across the street. Well, I love fig Newton's. We used, Michelle and I still joke that, like we thought that fig Newton's were health food, right, I know, the cookies they're cooking, they're absolutely a dessert.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought it was like like an energy bar.
Speaker 6: It is, yeah, and the more you eat, the healthier they get.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 4: I think that that's.
Speaker 2: The thing that people don't know about Fig notes fig is in the title.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: I could eat a whole sleeve exactly.
Speaker 2: It's figs and.
Speaker 3: Pizza is amazing.
Speaker 1: And again, do you have cream cheese, cream cheese and figure in the pineapple guy?
Speaker 2: You don't get to throw shade at other people's pizza.
Speaker 4: That's like I definitely agree. But yeah, and so then she and I met and then like sort of instantly fell in love. And we had had mutual friends tell us that we would get along, so we were already sort of set up to be friends like each other.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Well you all recently reunited recently on Broadway to raise money for the f cancer charity in James Vanderbeek's name. Did anything surprise you about jumping back into your character almost twenty five years later?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't play my character because I wasn't because we did we did a stage reading of the pilot, and so like Kur Smith and Meredith Monroe and myself, and I'm trying to think if there was anyone else we weren't in the pilot, and all had been added to the cast at various points after. So Michelle and I, you know, when James was diagnosed with cancer, it was really you know, it was horrible, and he's got this beautiful family, and you know, we all reached out to him and Michelle, Michelle and Katie and I like sent them some stuff like this, you know, I think it was it like a year ago or something. And then right after the New year, Michelle was just like, we should do something. We just should do something. And so she and I started to think about, like, well, what would a live show be and what could we even do? And you know, I do so many like live stage shows of things that like I used to do at Largo all the time in LA and the Bellhouse here in New York, and I took my podcast out. I'm like, we can do something on a stage. Her husband, Thomas Cale, Tommy Cale, is the director of Hamilton, so we knew that that theater would probably be open to helping us out. The Richard Rogers, they were so lovely and so we started to put this thing together. We called Katie and she came over and we like, we're like, what if we did the pilot. We should re read the pilot. We could do a stage tading where we could do like a night of song. Like we we're just trying to like figure out some yeah, but like getting everyone it was just so important that they that everyone be there and and getting everyone's schedules lined up was a little tricky sure, And then James got very sick and was in the hospital and couldn't make the trip to come be on stage and do it with us, and that was really really hard and sad. But his family came, all of his kids came, Kimberly, his wife came, and we got to spend a lot of time with them, and it was just sort of incredible for us all to be back in the same room together. We haven't done that since the show wrapped, so it's been whatever, twenty twenty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty five or five years almost?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, okay, great twenty five. I believe you.
Speaker 10: Hi.
Speaker 11: It's Jenny Garth, host of the I Choose Me podcast. This week, I'm so excited to welcome my friend Gabrielle carteris the Andrea Zuckerman from Beverly Hills nine o.
Speaker 5: Two on Oh to the pod.
Speaker 4: We're choosing to get real iplied to the networks about my age and contracts. They never would have hired me if they had known my age. We're choosing to be honest. She looked at me and she said, this business is about the mask, which you have neither of, and we're choosing to get nostalgic.
Speaker 12: Listen to I Choose Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 7: People always ask us about that final episode of Boy Meets World where we were crying in real life, and it's right there on the screen as our characters. And the final Dawson's Creek episode is also an emotional ride. What was it like that day on set saying goodbye to a show that basically raised almost an entire cast.
Speaker 4: Well, it's crazy because I wasn't in the two part No, I wasn't in the two part finale, even though I had been on the show for those two years leading up to it. Kevin Williamson came back to write the finale, and I mean, I got paid for her, guys, right, But what I heard at the time was Kevin was like, I don't know this character. I didn't create her, so she's not going to be in the finale. And I was. I I wrote about it in my book. I was like pretty devastated, Like I was pretty sad, and I left. I just left. I left Wilmington. I was like, well you guys bye, Yeah, and so I wasn't there. Uh, And then I did have to go back for the like big they had, like this big finale party and like photo shoot and this whole thing, and like they were like, you actually contracted, you gotta go back for it. And I was like, Okay, I guess. So I did go back for like the finale party, but yeah, like I just wasn't I wasn't around. And then the craziest thing happened. I haven't like I'm not gonna say I like held on to it, but it was a thing that sure really hurt my feelings and I felt like I had given two seasons of my life to this show. People really loved my character. I really, you know, gave up like a big part of my life to be in Wilmington. Not that like, you know, obviously I needed the job, but yeah, I just was sad for my character too. I'm like, she just gets relegated to like one weird one.
Speaker 5: I feel not valued and yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, And when we were doing this reading which I got to play this is so wild but also just speaks to the time. I don't know if you guys had any storylines in boy Meet's world where like now you're like, oh my god, that is not cool, Like like Pacey loses his virginity to his forty year old teacher on Dawson's Creed.
Speaker 5: It's a very common thing. We just talked about this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very common for shows of that time that everyone was making looking up with people significantly.
Speaker 5: Older than them.
Speaker 2: Well Sean hitting on the teacher. That happened several times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and hitting on Sean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so wild. Yeah. In the so in the play reading, I played that teacher. Yeah, wow, tomorrow anyway, it was sort of the part I was like born to play, being honest, Like I really, I really. It was really funny. But Kevin Williamson like, as soon as we had a day of rehearsal and then we had like a half day, and then we did the show that night, and as soon as I walked in and said hi to everybody, Kevin Williamson, who I've seen over the years, by the way, I mean it's been twenty five years, Kevin was like, busy, can I talk to you for a second, And he took me aside and was like I had to say something that I've really been thinking about. I've thought about it a lot for years. I never reached out to you. I won't to apologize putting you in the finale. I don't know if you know, Like he was just like I was just in a moment in my career, my life, when like I had so many things going on. They had like asked me at the very last minute to come back and write the finale. I had like a day and a half to do it, and I just made this kind of weird decision and I could have done better and I didn't, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Wow, And I I started crying.
Speaker 4: I literally started crying, and I was like, Kevin, like that means so much to me, thank you for saying that. I really appreciate it, And yeah, great, great, let's do this. You know.
Speaker 7: Wow, that might have been so rewarding to like, yeah, something that's just always been in the back of your mind. Like you said, you're not going to say you were like carrying it around. It wasn't like in the forefront you're carrying the shooting daggers every time you hear his name or whatever. But it's somewhere in the back of your mind that you're like, man, I that ended on a note that made me feel like two years of my life wasn't valued. And to actually get an apology like.
Speaker 4: That is so nice, I know, and rare and rare and I but also I think really speaks to you know, obviously, like he is a person who is self reflective and has you know, and had a moment where he was like, oh wait, that wasn't maybe the kindest thing. Maybe I should take ownership of that in a real way instead of just like being nice to me every time he sees me, you know, which is like, I think what most people do, right, they're like, don't want this?
Speaker 2: Actually a closure too? I mean that, Yeah, we had that on our show.
Speaker 6: I mean, Trina came on our podcast and somebody had told because Trina wasn't in our last episode, and somebody had told Trina that we as a cast went to our producer and said we didn't want her in the episode, which is completely untrue, and so she had been holding onto that for twenty five and rightfully so.
Speaker 2: And so when we talked about it, we were like wait, what.
Speaker 5: What Yeah, because we didn't even know that.
Speaker 6: We had no idea that this had that she had been told this and so yeah, I mean it was it had bothered her for decades and again rightfully, so it made me feel less.
Speaker 2: Then, and it was nice to us to sit down and be like, we had no.
Speaker 4: This is the first one hearing that you had heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was.
Speaker 4: Why would somebody tell them say that to her?
Speaker 5: I mean, I can reflect deflect for.
Speaker 1: That's the correct But imagine, I mean imagine if we did have that kind of power.
Speaker 3: At that time we were so like clueless actors, like whuk, what are we doing next week?
Speaker 1: But if we had banded together and been like, let's get rid of another cast member, no.
Speaker 6: Weird thing to band again, Like we wouldn't be together to get money. We banded together to get have one cast member, not in one episode.
Speaker 4: Like it's yeah, it doesn't even make sense logically, No, it doesn't.
Speaker 7: But at the time, of course, the thing we've talked about so much is at the time they are relying on the idea that we are not communicating with each other about things that it's going to feel, yeah, that the actors are not that she wasn't going to come to us and say, why would you guys do this to me, and she didn't because he and the person who told her that knew she would probably not do that right, and we because it played.
Speaker 1: Right into her actor insecurity, which we all have. And like, that's the problem with being an actor is that you feel disposable and you feel like, you know, you're being asked to be a human being on camera and to bring all this authenticity and emotion, but it feels like it's just do you fit into the schedule?
Speaker 3: Can we pay you enough?
Speaker 1: You know, and it's like it all diminishes your sense of self to you know, you're just like, I'm just a pawn and somebody in you know, Kevin Williamson's.
Speaker 3: Script, like I'm just like whatever.
Speaker 1: And of course what starts to happen is you start thinking that the people in charge never care about you, don't care about your feelings, even when you know they have their own stuff going on and they you know, who knows what the real situation is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's a it's a machine.
Speaker 4: And I think because I had come from this experience on Freaks and Geeks where we really did feel valued and like, uh, and that you know, I think that one of the reasons why almost everyone from that show has gone on to be multi hyphenates and do all kinds of different things, myself included. Is because jud and Paul and Jake Kasden, who was our like directing producer, producer, director.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there I go.
Speaker 4: Thank you really instilled in us, Like even though you guys are you know, I feel like Seth was sixteen, I think, or seventeen when we started the show. Martin Starr was like fourteen or fifteen. Even though you guys are like technically teenagers, your ideas are valuable. You're talented, and we want to know what you think about what we're bringing to you. They were always asking us, what do you think? Is this feel right? Is this like a thing that you would like a teenager would say? Anyway? I just, you know, feel like going from that experience and then feeling like, oh I really was not I don't really feel valued at all in this in this show, but it really gave me, you know, I don't know a roadmap for kind of how I would want to be treated on set, and then also what I am going to look for in collaborators and partners.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you have so many iconic shows on your resume. If you could go back and do one episode of any one of the shows again, which one would you pick?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Is this is really? It's Girls five EVA for sure, because I just love the show so much and I know it sort of just ended, but I really miss it and.
Speaker 5: That shows so funny.
Speaker 4: I just think it's that's going to be another one where people are going to find it. Yeah, and then in like two years are going to be as to why there's not more of them. I just loved that show so much and I love doing it. We had the best time.
Speaker 5: Are there any movies or TV shows that you got close on that still haunt you?
Speaker 4: Nothing haunts me?
Speaker 2: Okay, healthy Kevin Williamson.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, right, but not anymore. That's that we close the loop. That's loop has when closed. But what are some things that I tested for that I didn't get? There was a TV show that I tested for, but then I got Dawson's Creek. See this is why I'm like, nothing haunts me, like it always is fine, Like you know we've all been We've all been doing this long enough, you know what I mean? Like it really is true that your career is your career, and so not getting jobs while in the moment like that, rejection can be devastating, especially if you get really close on something. Ultimately, I have just found that it has always worked in my favor, even even the fact that like at the time I was doing the movie White Chicks and could audition for and White Chicks was pushing their production like we kept we pushed, so like we were going longer than we were supposed to be going. So I couldn't audition for Mean Girls the movie, and I was like devastated because I really wanted to be in that movie obviously, and guys, guess was in the Mean Girls movie. But you know what I mean, Like I couldn't have been the mom in the new Mean Girls movie, you know what I mean. Like, it's just like everything works out, everything works out, and White Chicks is like the most iconic movie that I've ever done.
Speaker 7: So I was going to ask you, with everything you've done, how many people come up to you and want to talk about White Chicks?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's everyone, no joke, at least at least five times a week. I'm not I'm not an exaggeration. Someone will say something to me about white Chicks five times a week, Like it's crazy and everywhere in the world that's like.
Speaker 5: That's so cool.
Speaker 4: It's quite it's actually just like okay, I mean wow, had no idea at the time, but I love it. It's really funny.
Speaker 7: You also currently host Busy This Week on QVC plus, a place I pop up with my own hair care product. I love QVC. I'm there many times a year. Tell our listeners a little bit about your show.
Speaker 4: Oh well, so you know, I had a late night talk show on E for a year in twenty eighteen to twenty nineteen, and when it got canceled, I was really bummed because we had a great time and I just loved doing a late night talk show. And I have long felt the inequality of not having women be the hosts of these shows or given you know, longer than whatever a year to find an audience. And so Casey saint Ande, my producing partner on that show, and I really were trying to figure out, like, how do we do another one? Where are we going to go? And we were kind of building to something, and then the pandemic happened, and so we pivoted and we did our podcast for over five years, and then at a certain point QVC had come to me to do a little like holiday special thing for them, and in that process Casey I asked Casey to come do it with me. And in that process we learned that they were going to launch their own streaming network and they were looking for they didn't really know what they were looking for, but they were thinking they were going to have more original content and not just twenty four hour shopping content, that it would be different. So we were like, well, why don't we just do my talk show there. Let's just do the talk show there. And they went for it, and this is We've done two seasons. We've had a great time. It's a talk show. You know, we have incredible guests. Rosie O'Donnell was amazing. You got to come beyond it.
Speaker 5: I would not to please.
Speaker 2: Okay, she was talking about you also on qv She was clearly speaking to me and you instantly.
Speaker 7: I will tell you, I don't think you guys speak to the QVC audience.
Speaker 4: I mean not know, not no, not no, sure, not no. Wow.
Speaker 2: First of all, I can speak to any audience, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: I I think that's he's not right. I think that's right. I think that's right.
Speaker 5: He's not wrong.
Speaker 4: Feels right to me. I don't know if it is, but it.
Speaker 5: Feels real right, it feels good. That feels good.
Speaker 2: Writers just quiet. He's like, I'm not I would never be on any show.
Speaker 3: Uh and QVC audience don't understand, so I probably not.
Speaker 4: Probably why don't you like to be on talk shows?
Speaker 1: I'm really bad at on camera being myself, Like I'm just a horrible famous person, Like, I just don't.
Speaker 4: You're on camera right now being yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's audio mostly second clips. Yeah, I'm in my house. It's fine. No, I just I'm not. I don't. I don't do well in those situations. I always look like I'm being held.
Speaker 6: I'll be like, I'll be like, ladies and gentlemen, you only got thirty minutes left to buy righters strong.
Speaker 2: I can't even believe he's.
Speaker 5: Not good whippy. He's not a quippy person.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I don't work in sound bite its well correct, and even.
Speaker 5: The idea of like the pre show interview were like trying to what's what's the quick funny story you're going to tell? Like that pressure on it.
Speaker 7: It's like, oh god, no, he just right from the beginning there's a lot of anxiety, and he's just like, I don't need that.
Speaker 3: Nope, I kind.
Speaker 4: Of understand that.
Speaker 2: No, I want to see it. I want to see Rider on every talk show.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I get uncomfortable just watching talk shows, Like I can't handle it.
Speaker 3: I don't watch interviews and talk shows.
Speaker 1: That's why I know nothing about famous people, even people I really love their work. I don't know anything about the personal life because the second I'm watching an interview, I'm like, oh, God, get me a way, like I just not my not my style.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there's I think there's something to that, And I think it also speaks to when you watch men who are comedians interview people that is actually like there is a lot of pressure because what you see is them searching for their joke and they're not actually listening and a lot of the times but well, but I really, I really, in my experience, why I wanted to do a talk show was first of all, because I was sick of the fact that there were no women that had them, but also, and specifically late night, because there's this whole you know, like deeply rooted in the misogyny and the patriarchy that like women can only have daytime talk shows because that's when women are home doing the laundry, like you know from back in the day, and like men go to their jobs and then they need to relax with their scotch and watch how they don't want to help. Not a woman.
Speaker 5: I don't want to hear a woman talk at night.
Speaker 4: But it's so just it's literally what it was, what it was based, what it's been based in.
Speaker 2: And to fight.
Speaker 6: I mean, Joan Rivers was the top comedian of the day and she had she never got it and never got it. She was she could guess and that was it.
Speaker 5: The closest with Chelsea Lately.
Speaker 4: I mean, Chelsea had years and she had such an amazing run and then but then you look at it and you're like, that's one one woman.
Speaker 6: There's somebody else had one last, last one last year and they just cancel a comedian.
Speaker 2: She's so funny. I can't think of her name.
Speaker 4: Well, Amber Ruffin had like that late night talk show thing after you're thinking of Taylor, Mom, Taylor at midnight Taylor Tomlinson, but at midnight's a game show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's also like she's the best.
Speaker 4: She's so funny. But it also is a game show, not actually a late night talk show, you know what I mean. Anyway, my point being writer, my favorite guest, part of the reason why I wanted to do it is because I fully feel you on that And like, my favorite guest from the E Talk Show was Dan Radcliffe because he showed up and he was literally like you, He was like, this isn't for me. I'm not like, I don't like this. Da da da da weird at the end of it, like he like didn't want to leave. It was it was like, actually amazing to see the transition because I just was like, I'll just talk to you about.
Speaker 5: Like what you like, what.
Speaker 2: Does he really have magic powers?
Speaker 4: He was really wonderful see magical magic and he's super talented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, very busy.
Speaker 7: My last question for you is if you could go back in time and tell young Busy Phillips on the Freaks and Geeks set, just one thing, what would you tell her?
Speaker 4: My god, this is the second time someone has like asked me this question this week, and I have no answer. And you would think, since I've already been asked it, that I would have come up with something, But the truth is I don't know if you guys feel this way. I just am sort of like, first of all, there was nothing that I could ever tell that girl, do you know what I mean, listened, not even a little bit. Would she have listened. She would have been like, Okay, old lady, fine, and I.
Speaker 3: Love that your voice.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's.
Speaker 5: Like what my voice for my nineteen year old self is as well. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and now I have this seventeen year old mini me that is it's a real vibe. Guy is watching her on camera because I'm like, it is a little bit of a mine. I mean, honestly, like just crazy, but yeah, I kind of feel I've thought a lot about it, and like I don't think there's anything that I could tell her that would change anything or change her way of thinking. I mean, maybe get diagnosed with ADHD sooner, Okay, I mean honestly, because I think I've spent a lot of time feeling really terrible about my brain and then in my late thirties was diagnosed with ADHD and I was like, oh, now it all makes sense, So maybe that what about that? Yeah, like your brain is fine, You're not stupid. Where just you have executive organizational functioning skills that you need to work on.
Speaker 5: Right, so smart.
Speaker 7: Honestly, that is probably one of the things that would help you change your life and right it's very practical.
Speaker 4: That's probably. That's probably anything else I think I would have been like, yeah, I know it's gonna work whatever.
Speaker 5: I know everything. You know nothing.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you know this, but I am eighteen. I know everything. Yeah, that's I totally get that.
Speaker 5: Busy. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, I love the pod.
Speaker 3: Have a good one bye.
Speaker 7: Thank you all for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we've got merch and.
Speaker 2: To join our cult.
Speaker 6: Please send all your emails to leader Danielle at cultmail dot com.
Speaker 7: March Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 6: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensencarp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon, and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com