Speaker 1: Welcome in to the New Orleans Saints podcast, for example by Seacake. You'll hear from players, coaches, broadcasters and writers that cover the NFL on a daily basis. The New Orleans Saints Podcast starts right now. Here's your host, Aaron Summers.
Speaker 2: The Saints Hall of Fame Celebrity Golf Tournament took place at the Chateau Golf and Country Club on Monday. So many people came out, nearly fifty former and current Saints players along with EVP and GM, Mickey Loomis, and head coach Kellen Moore. It was a lot of fun. There was a lot of good conversation, some questionable golf, and a few first timers like wide receiver Bub Means he had never been to a golf course before Monday in his life. It is a big event every year for the Saints Hall of Fame. Legends and Hall of famers come out, like Michael Lewis.
Speaker 3: I think that's the biggest thing is to see those guys, you know, to interact with the older guys that was here before me, the guys I played with, the guys right after me, and the new guys you know, to have all us come out here at one time, you know, to get to interact with each other, to get to know who each other are or whatever, because I know every year, like I say, you know, I'm always doing stuff with the organization. I'm always around and things like that. But just to get those new guys and you know, talk to them and things like that, I think that makes it special.
Speaker 4: And then also with the.
Speaker 3: Saints Hall of Fame golf tournament where all the people that comes out get a chance to interact with us as well.
Speaker 4: I think that's the most important thing about it.
Speaker 2: Are you the best golfer out here?
Speaker 3: Of course, why wouldn't I say it. I wouldn't be the best golfer out here. I mean I would be wrong for that.
Speaker 4: Nah, I'm not that good. I'm just out here.
Speaker 2: The day started off with some words from more and Loois. You can find those full interviews on New Orleans Saints dot com. As for this podcast, it is all exclusive interviews I got on the course throughout the day. Safety Justin Reid was a popular one on the course. He loves to play golf and it was his first big event as a Saint.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty good. I mean, we're uh three holes in three birdies technically a hole in one on one, but three real birdies. So we got a solid team playing well. It's not too hot yet, but it's cool. Excited to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: How many of your shots has your team used?
Speaker 1: We got some ringers, man.
Speaker 5: We actually I've had some good shots. We haven't to use one yet, but we're hitting our guys. Actually, no, I had a flop on the first hole. Flop on the first hole about thirty feet, hit it to about three feet. We used that one and then the rest of them. These guys have been killing it.
Speaker 2: You interaction with the fans so far, It's kind of the first time you've been able to be out here talking to some Saints fans. How's it been?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 5: I mean I've always loved teams that have a support group that you know will follow you around and anytime they can have contact with you. Just always want to have everyone have a great experience.
Speaker 2: OTAs are year enough to start tomorrow. What are you looking forward to about that phase of the off season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, actually getting to go against other players, you know, get to go against the NFL offense, start executing all the details that coach Staley has been putting in with the defensive game plan and being able to use it against somebody else, so it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: How has it been getting to know some of your new teammates?
Speaker 5: I mean, awesome, awesome, It's it's a great group of guys, a bunch of character, high character guys that want to work hard, want to do things the right way, so you can build where you have things like that.
Speaker 2: Who are you most looking forward to getting on the field with and competing once you can get the pads on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to see how this quarterback competition is going to work, you know. I'm excited to see all these guys compete against each other, and competition brings the best out in everybody.
Speaker 2: Kick or Blake Groupie was a natural, an avid golfer and prankster. He gave Read an exploding golf ball to tee off with. Obviously didn't tell Reid when he hit the ball it did. It literally exploded and pieces went everywhere along with a huge cloud of dust. You can check out sat social media for that footage. Pretty funny moment. Within the day, Groopy and Charlie Smith were together throughout the day. The banter back and forth was great and group. He was a good sport. He took over the social media for the day. What do you like about being out here today?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's a it's a it's a great event, you know, to get to interact with fans and and get back at in the community. And we're trying some I think Cleasys. It's up and uptown, so a lot of different food, a lot of different events and people out here. So it's a great time.
Speaker 2: When you come to events like this, you just interact with the fans obviously games and stuff like that. What's been one of your most memorable interactions with fans.
Speaker 6: Well, I've had some some funny ones. Obviously, they usually have some jokes, but you know, it's it is events like these making connections out in the community. I played in the glease and tournament with you know, Rick Ferrell, the owner walk On. So it's all about getting out there and just meeting the people that support us, you know, because that's what's it's all for, you know, at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: How would you rate your golf game?
Speaker 6: Oh, today we've been We've been playing all right. We've been playing all right. We got some ringers in our group, though, there's some some long bombers off the tee, so we'll give it. We'll give it like an eight and a half today.
Speaker 2: I think I just heard a ball go into a bush right behind us, so we to be careful. We got Caesar over here.
Speaker 6: He might have hooked it. This is his home course, so you gotta you know, he has no excuses out here today, but looks like he's the middle of the fairways, so you know, maybe he'll he'll hit it straight next time.
Speaker 2: Who is the best teammate of yours on the golf course?
Speaker 6: I think if you asked the team, that's gonna be pretty pretty unanimous on Hainer. Uh. He's he's pretty nasty out here. I think he's like a better.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Maybe he's working out.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: He's probably what we should all be doing right now.
Speaker 2: How have the off season workouts been.
Speaker 6: They've been great, you know, with Ted and the new staff. Obviously a lot of energy and really excited to get out there tomorrow for our first ota and just get back to work. And and you know, you see how how we're gonna work with Kellen and so watch this team, you know, building and come together.
Speaker 2: What is something about Kellen Moore that maybe we don't know yet. Kellen.
Speaker 6: I mean, I just I like the way he runs a meeting. You know, he he he takes the time. We've been doing a guest the coaches. We've got a basketball hooping there. You know, he's take. You can tell he's taking the time to get to know guys, and uh, you know, I feel like it's almost like, you know, an open door policy into his office going there and and uh, you know he's not he's not afraid of conversation with you. You know hebviously he's the head coach, and that level of respect will always be there. But from everything so far with me, he's been a great guy. A lot of respect for him, and I can't wait to get out there and work for him.
Speaker 2: Is this part of the season kind of exciting because it's a ramp up to actually playing real football?
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 2: I just talked to Cam Jordan. He's like, yeah, guys out there run around and underwear, no pads. But it is the start of the season.
Speaker 6: Sure, Yeah, we've been working out for five weeks now, you know, all the different phases and ramping up and so you know, I know there's a lot of a lot of new in the building, a lot to be determined. But U you know, all you can ask for is the guys be you know, bring that energy and and buy in and you know work to being that you know, the best we can be.
Speaker 2: Well, since Groopy brought Caesar into this, I set out to get Caesar Luiz's thoughts on groupies. Call out, all right, how's the golf game going today?
Speaker 7: It's great, that's great. A lot bet last year, you know, had a lot of time to practice, so we're having a lot of fun today.
Speaker 2: What do you like about coming out here to this event? Being around the fan that's just great.
Speaker 7: You know, spend time with the fans and you know, really get to bond with some people that you don't normally won't get to talk to unless we're here. You know, we do a lot of work on the field. You know a lot of people cheering for us, so it's fun to interact with everybody, you know, you know, be teammates with the people with chair for us in stand So speaking.
Speaker 2: Of teammates, you guys have been in the gym at the facility getting working. How's the off season training going so far?
Speaker 7: Man it's great. It's great. Uh, everybody's coming in, putting the work and uh, you know, we got competitions, make everything competitive and it's a great environment. It's great.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: We loving it.
Speaker 2: You're smiling while you're talking about it. What's different this year?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 7: I mean, I I love the weight room, you know what I'm saying. I love to train, but most poorly, I love when you know it's a competition. Uh you know, you feel you feel everybody you know, coming together and working as one, hold each other accountable, and you know, really really making the weight room fun. Doesn't feel like you're just working now, It's it's really fun in there. So we're having a great time.
Speaker 2: How has it been getting acclimated to the new coaching staff.
Speaker 7: Uh, it's you know, not hard, easy, you know, I had news my first two years there, and uh, you know Coach Moore and uh, you know, the whole whole staff, everybody that came in just you know, very welcome and easy, you know, easy to listen to, you know, great coaching points and may all see a lot of ball. So it's great being around him. You know, it's easy to learn from him.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's good with the OTA's coming up, and then obviously mandatory mini camp. You're gonna have the fans out there as well. What do you like about this part of the off season.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's just good to get out on the field again. You know, I fought this. I wouldn't get on the field until July, so was get out to get out there on the field to your teammates. You know, get a field for everybody, you know, get a field for the playbooks. And you know, I started playing some football again, and you know, it's definitely great when has the fans out there this year, so, you know, having the fans out there and doing things with them, you know, it's always fun.
Speaker 2: I was standing with Blake Groupy on another hole and we almost got hit by a ball and he said it was probably you.
Speaker 7: I think that's very disrespectful on Blake Grouper's part. He know my game, you know how I play. I wouldn't do anything like that. So tell Blake group become a high Let me on a whole thirteen close to the pen. See we see, let's play play some ball man.
Speaker 2: For the record, it was not Caesar who shanked the ball onto the course. Blake and I were standing at We're still trying to determine who that was, but it is safe to say that it was not Coach Moore. I spoke to more. He understood his strengths and weaknesses on the course and stuck to just putting. That is literally all he did during the course of the day. A player who never fully commits to a round but bounces from hold to hole each year is always cam Jordan. Jordan has been known to take over the beverage cart, hop in and happy gilmour tea shot, or fly through neighborhoods to get away from well me. That was last year, so this year I tracked him down early. What do you like about being out here today?
Speaker 8: The sense of camaraderie. You know, this is where you really build relationships. And a golf cart by.
Speaker 2: Yourself, but you're out here with a lot of other people. Teammates.
Speaker 8: I'd love to see fans that are supporting. I love to see teammates old and new. Who's old who's coming in? I mean, clearly I'm old, but I'm saying like the retired ones, any retired ones this year?
Speaker 2: Who I mean always comes DU's Ricky Michael Lewis.
Speaker 4: Is here deer man. Okay, yeah, can't wait to see my guys every now and again. You get like a good papa. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: How have the off season workouts been, I hope say fruitful?
Speaker 8: You know, I think that with our new strength coach coming in, hopefully that eliminates a lot of these you know whatever whatever has been going on last couple of years. We're trying to get a fully healthy Saints team for the next five years.
Speaker 2: And when you look forward to OTAs, what do you hope? I mean, they're about to be here, so you got to have That's.
Speaker 4: What I look forward to. It's like playing flag football with.
Speaker 2: The new head coach and almost a whole new coaching staff. What are the goals here for the next few.
Speaker 4: Weeks to gel as a team? I mean, this is where you get the outings.
Speaker 8: This is where you get the golf tournaments or like the d line did the last couple of days go to you know the five oh four.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: It's where you go eat. This where you get know your teammates.
Speaker 8: This is where you put the foundation in so when we do put pads on, when we play real football, we can get down to it. This is where you start learning to playbook. This is where you get familiar with what we want to do. We get on the same accord.
Speaker 2: The schedule just came out. Any game that you're looking forward to any day?
Speaker 8: I haven't even come on, we both know I haven't looked. All I care about is Week one? Who we play Week one?
Speaker 6: Car?
Speaker 4: Here we go?
Speaker 8: There we go, Yeah, we do preseason or regular season? Here we go, yep, love it. Kyler Murray, he's he's getting taller.
Speaker 4: I've heard.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on the quarterback room now that Derek Carr's retired.
Speaker 4: I think we got a young room, or maybe we got an old roam. Shucks like seven thirty. Got it? Yeah, Oh, can't wait. I haven't met him yet. Can't wait to meet him and go through a training camp with him.
Speaker 8: I think you got guys like Spencer Ratler that saw some playing time last year, Jay Hayter, so you know, guys that have time and room to develop and improve.
Speaker 4: I think with the young quarterback room there comes potential.
Speaker 2: What area of your golf game are you working on today?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 8: A lot like our quarterback room. I'm just trying to show what I've got now. Unlike the quarterback room.
Speaker 4: I don't think I'm.
Speaker 2: Talented, all right, Well, Cam, good luck out there, and usually you get the beer cart going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna try and be better. No I'm not. I'm probably gonna end up fright where I've always been.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Cam is probably the most dressed down of the bunch, rocking a sleeveless tank top. Bub Means, however, attacked his first trip to the course by googling a picture of Tiger Woods and replicating the look Polo buttoned all the way up and khaki pants. He did throw on a bucket hat for good measure against the sun, which is understandable, though he did say next time around he would wear shorts in Louisiana weather. The receiver was paired with a legend Hall of Famer and golf officionado induce McAllister. Okay, So I was told that Bub has never seen a golf course before he got here today. How's he doing.
Speaker 10: He's doing good, he's learning and so you know, told him this is a game where it's a little more peaceful, you know, then guys chasing after you and running over you or trying to hit you. So it's been good you know, just teaching him just putting. We start with putting and then you'll get a couple of swings on part three. So it's good. It's fun.
Speaker 2: They had to pair him up with you.
Speaker 10: Paired him up with me, and you know, I told him, you know, hey, look, you know it's too hot out here because he has the long pants on it. So, man, we're in Losiana. You gotta wear some shorts out here. You know, if not, you're gonna burn up. But it's been good just to ride around and just talk to him, and you know, he's looking to have a big, big upcoming year, you know, after dealing with some injuries and not having a personal or team success last year.
Speaker 4: So it's been good.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are making a lot of the young core of this team, especially in the quarterback room. What are your thoughts, It's work in progress.
Speaker 10: I mean some of those guys have played obviously, you know, you talk about Jake and Spence, those guys being able to do what they've done, and just you know, the toughest thing for me when you talk about young quarterbacks, particularly those two having to change offense, you know every year, not being able to go in and you know, just being able to grow on the things that you were able to do the year before and you know, now it's another off season where I'm learning. But you know, they're young guys. Hopefully that staff is able to kind of blend in systems where they're familiar with terminology and you know kind of are something that they're familiar with and you know they.
Speaker 2: Can grow with the OTA starting. How do you evaluate with the new coaching staff how things are going through this part of the off season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the biggest thing that you want to see is how they pick up the system. You know, are guys making pre snap mistakes. That's one of the things that you don't want, I mean, because the game is only going to speed up once you put the pads on, and so can they go out there and execute fast quick? Can I get in and out the huddle without having to repeat it? Can I get in and out the huddle with not you know, guys lining up in the right places. Those are all the things that you want to be able to see right now. And then you know, once the paths come on, then I can just play fast. I mean, because you don't want God's thinking. You want them to be able to go out there and just react and playing.
Speaker 2: With the schedule coming out no primetime games, how do you flip that into some motivation.
Speaker 4: You gotta play.
Speaker 10: I mean whether they tell you you're playing at twelve o'clock, three oh five or Monday or Thursday, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Just go play.
Speaker 10: I mean, your job is go out there and compete. It's up to television, radio, you know when they want you to play, But just go play.
Speaker 2: What do you like about coming out here? You're always one of the big celebrities that we see on the golf course here.
Speaker 10: I always enjoyed. I mean, you talk about what the Saints Hall of Fame, you know, was able to do, and just being able to give back to the community, and seeing a lot of the fans that you know you're able to interact with, and having current and former players. It's always good and so you know, it's a good time, and so hopefully it's something that continues to be exciting for our fans and obviously our players as well.
Speaker 2: First trip to a golf course, how's it been.
Speaker 9: It's a little hot out here for show. I'm sweating a little bit, but I'm having fun. Meeting at a lot of new people. Enjoying myself for sure.
Speaker 2: You picking up any tips from Deuce?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, he's teaching me how to swing golf club. I'm not good at swinging the golf club, so they got me putting right now. I'm really a spectator. I'm a little fan. I'm a fan. I'm supporting my fellow golfers.
Speaker 2: What do you like about being out here though, being with some of the former players, the fans that are out here, and then trying all the food.
Speaker 9: One amazing people, amazing events, amazing food. I just like I'm enjoying the experience. I'm getting to learn a little golf. I don't know too much about golf, but I'm getting learned. It's my first time being on the golf course, so I'm enjoying it for sure. Like I wouldn't be able to complete no golf anything, no golf tournament, no golf event.
Speaker 4: I sucked, but I'm having a good time.
Speaker 2: How have you enjoyed the off season workout so far? And then looking ahead to OTA's.
Speaker 9: New off season workout, new off season program, new staff. You know how that go. So I'm enjoying it. They bring some real fire to the to the facility for shows.
Speaker 10: So I love it.
Speaker 9: I love competing with my brothers. We go out there and we work hard every day. So I'm looking forward to the season.
Speaker 2: How about the connection that you've had with some of the quarterbacks. You know, we saw you out there with Tyler Shuck.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: We got a We got a few.
Speaker 9: We got a thrower session in earlier this off season, and I liked what I seen, Like he's gonna be good. Like I believe in on whoever the quarterback he is, you know, I believe in we're gonna were gonna make the right decision and we're gonna be successful whoever.
Speaker 6: We go with.
Speaker 2: All in all, it was a very fun day on the course as the guys get ready for OTA's which start on Tuesday. It is the first set of OTAs. We'll have a full breakdown of the first few days after media availability on Thursday. So stay tuned to New Orleans Saints dot com or wherever you get your podcasts, because next Saints podcast up is all about the guys taking the field.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the New Orleans Saints podcast presented by Seat Geek. Join us three times per week on New Orleans Saints dot com, the Saints Mobile app, or you can download the podcast on iTunes. We'll see you next time right here on the New Orleans Saints Podcast, presented by seat Geek