Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, twenty nine, Episode two of Daily Like Ice Day production of iHeart Radio. And it's always fun to do that in a hotel.
Speaker 2: Room if people don't know what the fuck is going.
Speaker 1: On, what the fuck the people next door think is happening. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness in case you're wondering what the hell is happening. And it is Tuesday, March twelfth, twenty four, that weekday many shout out till the beginning of March.
Speaker 2: Shout out my boys Mike and Chris. They have the same birthday today. Also, and if it's your birthday, it's probably everyone's birthday on every day we record potentially, so happy birthday to you if you're four March twelve. Also it's National Working Mom's Day, National Baked Scallops Day, National plant a Flower Day, and National Girl Scout Day.
Speaker 1: Do you have other friends with birthdays around this time? Because I always say that the thing that makes me believe that there's something to all the astrology shit is that, like my best friends from growing up, Chris and Jose and then my wife are like born within three days of each other. And then there's other people in my life who like had close birthdays close to that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then like the first four people that started cracked with me were all born like within three days of each other.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I have I mean, I got a lot of Pissy's friends. I got some four po homies. I have some choruses, cancers and cancers in my life. Just okay, I'm not the astrological sign. Just talxic people in my life.
Speaker 1: Just the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then one just passive aggressive ass LEO love here all right. My name is Jack O'Brien AKA. I tried keV Lord to shield my heart, but in the end, my balls were all that mattered. They had the goal to shoot my balls. Bulletproof vest usefulness shattered. That is courtesy of Rezik on the disccord in reference to but we were recently talking about how bulletproof veests seems like it doesn't cover up some of the more important parts of you're heading your downstairs, heading the downtairs downstairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Grass.
Speaker 2: This Miles Gray the Blazer's Showgun with no gun. Aka, if you haven't gun problems, if with Befy, you's son, I got ninety nine problems, but a gun ain't one hit me? All right? Shout out to Christy Young Acucci man on the discord. You know with my my father's famous adage, why don't we have a gun in the house? You look, you got a gun. You have gun problems there. It does not for everybody, but sometimes a good explanation for your kids, just to kind of Gucci Mane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of our favorite guests, finally back in any expert spot.
Speaker 2: Fine experts seat.
Speaker 1: A movement lawyer, political commentator, public defender. You've read her work on places like teen Vogue, Essence, The Nation, Senior Commentary all over the wide Internet. You can and must subscribe to her YouTube channel. Allurinadi please welcome back to the show. It's the brilliant, the talented, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of me all.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Oh, welcome back. Too long, been too long.
Speaker 3: Listen y'all made me feel like a star. Thank you, thank you. That's what I needed today.
Speaker 2: I mean you are I mean every time we were like, there's on point commentary on the certain things in the world. Like I definitely always check your Twitter and see what you're saying. So it's always nice to see you, you know, and also just to see how many people are they fuck with you.
Speaker 3: That makes me feel.
Speaker 4: My assistant said to me last week, he said, you know, every time something happens in the subways in New York, you seem to be in high to man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's funny because when we talked about Governor Holkle's plan to fully militarize the subway system, I caught one of that from your So yeah, I mean obviously there were news headlines, but you know that the way I first came into contact, whether it was your commentary on it, for sure, And.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to hear a professionally hating and hokal and Eric Adams twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: The yeah yeah one, Eric Adams.
Speaker 1: What is how has the Eric Adams administration been treating you of late?
Speaker 4: Pretty listen, Eric, I'm getting ready to write my second expos on Eric Adams, and I thought I had said when I needed to in my first two hour expos on Eric Adams, but turns out he can just keep getting worse. But it's getting good now because they have a federal investigation against him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the news is getting hot for him. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, amazing. So just the gift that keeps on giving, it feels like and taking away in terms of people quality of life, but for people, you know, paying attention, just the entertainingly bafflingly batshit. Yeah all right, Well we're going to get to know you a little bit better right now, you know, later on we're going to talk about copaganda, law and order, all the things that you are so brilliant at breaking down for us, you know, things that I grew up on just that are deep in there unfortunately. But before we get to that, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 4: My Google search history is filled with me searching for all Mary Kay Nashley books that I have to buy used because for whatever reason, they're not selling them new anymore. And you know what's crazy, I keep trying to google answers like why has no one else explored why Mary Kay Nashley don't have those available? Like you could buy the damn federalist papers, books that happened before you Like, but I can't get Mary Kay Nashley books new.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's what I'm searching.
Speaker 1: Were you raised on Mary Kay Nashalie, Like, are those nostalgis for you.
Speaker 4: To understand that if Mary Kay Nashley was on it, I bought it. Okay, I wow all them books?
Speaker 3: Okay, I love you. I love them.
Speaker 2: You got the first sedition Brother for sale.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: I had when I had a bookcase in my room as a kid, and it was completely just filled all in books.
Speaker 3: Every time it would be like a book sale at my school. And you know what I liked. It was before the internet was what it was.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like you could just google, oh, here are all the Mary Kay Nationally books. It was just like it would be random new like, oh, they're on this one.
Speaker 3: It's the Adventures of something else. I'm getting that. I loved Urrigay Nationally. I went up for them. Those were my favorite two white girls in the world.
Speaker 2: I wasn't They were in the grade below me in grade school at the same school, and they were never at school. But I look, I'm like one of my point at Pride, you know, Mary Kate had you know, shatterye on me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So, okay, look, why were they out of school? They were too busy typing out all those novels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean because they were just like you know, like in la like a lot of times you go to scholick their kids who just are in the business. They're just they're fucking working all the time. And then they also just have set teachers, so like when they even even when they come to school, they're like, I don't know what the fuck is going on, man, Like I just came here to just like see just to let y'all know how balling we are, and then we'll maybe see you in like another couple of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the brand was real, though, you know. The thing that I always heard was that they had like become billionaires by the time I think we were like in our early twenties, were.
Speaker 2: Bonaire.
Speaker 3: I definitely gave them a billion dollars. I'm telling you me alone.
Speaker 1: But like I didn't know the publishing side of their empire. I knew that they had movies, Like.
Speaker 4: It's such an underrated part of the empire because it was huge. Every for fuck the movies. Like the movies, they were going to make the books up. They had like a little show when they were young called like the Adventures of American Nashley, and they turned that into a book bag every time they had and anytime they did have a show, they would turn every episode of their shows into one of those books. It would be the Adventures of America and that. So listen, I grew up in the Bahamas, so understand if I'm telling you, I was giving them all my money in the Bahamas, and there were a.
Speaker 3: Community of other little girls giving them all their money on the globe, around the globe.
Speaker 4: They had it. I had them all every series they had me locked into lay with like nineteen and they just decided they didn't want to run an empire.
Speaker 3: No more.
Speaker 1: Right is boring? I'm bored with this. What was your introduction to them like in the Bahamas? I'm curious, liked it? Was it full house or after them?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: My mummy so my household, my daddy is Nigerian and my mummy is this partner.
Speaker 3: So there was no fun and joy in my household.
Speaker 4: All I was allowed, all I was allowed to do was school and read and so the only thing that made bye. She'd never buy like video games and let me go do anything, but she would spend a bag in the bookstore. So I go in the bookstore, sit on the floor and just pick things. And I liked, you know, it was appeal was marketed to you as a girl. So I think I got the first one, and then I got all them, all those and lemony snickets, the series of Unfortunate Events.
Speaker 2: I had it all. Yeah. You like, do you have like a book you're chasing right now, like a grail Mary Kate and Ashley booked. You're like, man, you got to get my hands on this.
Speaker 4: I have like one hundred Mary Kayen n Ashley used books sitting in my Amazon guard right now.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Like I'm like, I've told myself.
Speaker 4: I told my boyfriend I'm buying them for our future children as the investment. That's what I'm justifying it. I will be so upset if my children tell.
Speaker 3: Me they don't like it.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's going to rise up like the after the Apocalypse, Like it's going to be the Book of Eli type thing that everybody like uses as the gospel.
Speaker 3: I'm waiting for them to make a bounce back. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I want them to sell new books, but Mary Kay Nashley, like, I don't even think there's a place to put pressure on them. They just off the grid somewhere.
Speaker 1: They just quit us. They were like, yeah, we could continue to like build an empire and at this point be challenging Bezos's fortune, but we're just like it's boring to us.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing, right, because that's obviously an executive choice, because it's one thing if they don't make new things, but they won't even sell the old things, Like how is a book just out everybody?
Speaker 3: Y'all have hundreds of books and the whole lot of print. Why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: Is one of them?
Speaker 2: Still with the brother of Jacques Shiak.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I remember, yeah, okay, it was not the old guy, but I don't remember, like what came of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, oh no, it's Nicholas Sarkozzi's brother, That's who it was. And I was like, what French president? Was it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The brother of Sarco money I had, Yeah, I feel like those books, like I read every Hardy Boys book that came out. I read like the Red Wall series of books, and I feel like if I went back and revisited them and read them now, I'd be like, oh, this is like what my entire imagination is built out of. It was like fabric of these and hardy boys talking about.
Speaker 4: My mommy loved the hardy boys. My mommy is also a copaganda establishment democrat.
Speaker 3: Now people.
Speaker 1: They were, I feel like their story was that their dad was a cop, and then they were like, but that's not enough cop for one family, and so they kind of like moonlight as they were like high school students by day and then crime fighters by night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, riddled in copaganda every boy's dream. I love that.
Speaker 4: I find out childhood me didn't like coppaganda before she knew it was copaganda because my mummy loved those books. She bought me that and Nancy drew to collections and I wasn't fucking with it. Something about me new the ops was around, right.
Speaker 1: But Mary Kate Nashley solved mysteries, didn't.
Speaker 2: They, you know, not like you cut yours against the cars.
Speaker 4: And they started moving with that himes. They would make little like new new collections would come out as they Ate. So they had they they had the Mary Kate Nashley Adventures America Nashley. Then they had the Starring d series, then they had the So Little Time, and then they had the My Sweet Sixteens.
Speaker 3: You see, I know too much? Yeah, I felt.
Speaker 2: I felt, if you have any extra copies laying around, hit up aligning me, you know, slide it for a way, they will go. They will be appreciated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would love that.
Speaker 1: What is uh, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: What is underrated? Probably Mary Kay Nashley. But let me see what else? Chance the rapper. I'm gonna say chance the rapper.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 4: People be going too hard on my guy after that last album. It's really ridiculous. I'm like, you could get people back to back hits, hits projects you did all by yourself. They don't like one album and now they're talking crazy on your name.
Speaker 2: So I Love my Wife one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last album was that I Love My Wife one and his wife Yeah wild how much that album disintegrated everything? Yeah, I loved that. Like Acid Wrap, I was obsessed with the next album, Coloring Book. I was like, yeah, like this is this is really good? And then one bad album and we were off as.
Speaker 4: As and just disrespecting and and you know what it's crazy is people like people still love to blame women because they love to blame his wife, Like it wasn't that woman the whole time, right, for all the other albums they had a child and everything. She get married and suddenly she used to blame for the artistic direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I forget which documentary it was, but Kendrick was talking about how he was talking to like one of the like recording industry gurus. I don't think it was Rick Rubin. I think it was what's the what's the guy? I made a made beats with Dre the uh and like as a whole. He was like the Defiant Ones, what's that?
Speaker 2: Oh, Jimmy, Jimmy Iven Jimmy I yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He like told Kendrick was like working on Damn, and Jimmy Ivin was like, all right, so the third album is the most important one because if you just like absolutely nail this one, like you can do no wrong, you have like a trilogy. And that like at the time seemed like bullshit to me. I was like, yeah, just like so your advice is to make the album good, like yeah, no shit, man, of course that's the advice. But but chance really proves like that third album. If you fumble the third album, like people are gonna fucking turn on you in a way that you're right, it is completely unfair.
Speaker 3: You know what it is.
Speaker 4: It's not that you can't fumble the third album, it's that you can fumble the last thing you've done right, people, You're only as good to people as whatever your last project is. And it's just because that's his last project. He hasn't come up with anything else because let him come up with another good album, they'll just stop talking about that album.
Speaker 3: That's that's all. Because Kanye and I put out all kinds of garbage over the last however many years, and people.
Speaker 1: Still there like checking for it my beautiful, dark.
Speaker 4: Twisted Fantasy. I'm like, oh, he ain't done that in a wild babes.
Speaker 1: But he did nail those first three according to a lot of people. A yeah, maybe that's but at the.
Speaker 3: Time they didn't believe that either.
Speaker 4: Remember I was carrying on about at eights Yeah, yeahs exactly.
Speaker 2: That's me. Do I hate it OIDs? I can't?
Speaker 4: Did you hate a eights?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, that was just like such an electro music like kind of hips like this so into music. I'm like, this is an old style bro that's been going around with the blogs already for like two years. He's trying to act like he came up with it, and.
Speaker 3: I was just basing the money I had. Wait, that want a bob. It was a banger.
Speaker 4: I knew he had it when he when he got I actually had my my my high school boyfriend at Oasis. What inspired him to break up with me or be them? He called me like he called me and the like it said like in the Dad and night and was like I was sitting up listening a Heartless by Kanye and I decided I wasn't just gonna twiddle my thumbs and deal just stuff no more. Wows many artists have inspired a man to decide to rise up against me, to.
Speaker 1: Make the wrong decision. Yeah, inspires, and sometimes it inspires the wrong you have chosen unwisely, sir, that's wild. What what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Mister and missus Smith's anyone with Childish Cambino and I hated it. It was fucking ass. It was so bad. Wow, I you know.
Speaker 3: You know it's crazy, all right.
Speaker 4: They were already hating on it beforehand, Like before it never came out, Twitter was hating on it because they were like, these are this is Twitter, not me, not me, Twitter said, Twitter said that these are ugly people and missus Smith. Yeah right, so that's why they was Hayden. So then when it came out and then people were like, oh, it was actually really good. I'm thinking, oh, look at Twitter and i'e been Hayden. Let me go watch this. It was a hot sack of shit, but for entirely different reasons, Like it wasn't it was hod because of what these people look like the whole what kind of spot? What is this foolishness? This is stupid.
Speaker 3: They running through New York City, New York City.
Speaker 4: Bullface, running from explosions, They on video kidnapping and this was the stupidest. I was like, is it a spoof. If it's a spoof, then tell me it's a spoof. And then they have him just kind of like I said, so, no one's gonna think childish can be those characters like pressuring, like pushing himself on this woman. He's like, we have a job, and in our job, we're supposed to be fake married, so you should fuck me for real.
Speaker 2: I should keep it.
Speaker 4: You should just you should do that. I'm gonna keep And then they had them like, I have this weird like experience with this woman was not interested in him as far as the actress to me was given lesbian I was waiting for to tell him that she's not with it, Like I thought that's where they were going with it, right, No, suddenly they have weird this woman who's been totally this interested with this weirdo who keeps shuttle fucker because they have a job. They're supposed to be trying to be spies, they have serious shit to do, life threatening situations, and all he could think about is how to fuck the woman in the crib. And then when they have some weird mission where this guy like kind of puts them like basically trying to force them to sexually interact. Now suddenly because they were forced on a mission, forced to engage in sexual contact, now she wants to fucking for real.
Speaker 3: This is a sick, fucking show. I couldn't believe you wrote this.
Speaker 4: You wrote this like and don't get me started. Then at one point in nine, he said, what was it, he said, child the comino was using av wrong and it really blew me. It was one It was one particular time me and my boyfriend paused to TV like child, I see, I would understand if white people wrote the script. But you you're responsible. So what is happening here, childish? What's going on in the in the show? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What was it?
Speaker 3: What would he say? And what did he say?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 4: I have to you know what I have is in my group chat. As we continue, I will find it in the group chat because me and my boyfriend texted our friend Nigel made us watch it to curse him out, So I'm gonna find it.
Speaker 1: I liked it, but the point about them not being able to get away with what they got away, like all the spy stuff seemed a little like under like it was a spoof. And then it ultimately kind of ends with that. But I thought they nailed like the weirdness of social interactions well, and I thought they were both good actors personally.
Speaker 3: They nailed breaking up I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, like day to day of like a bad relationship.
Speaker 3: Of breaking up. But all the rest of it, none of this ship made no sense.
Speaker 4: And then don't get me started on how every mission, right, every mission where they had a white person to deal with, to rescue, to envolu involved with when a criminal or notdamn job was to protect them, right, every every single one. The mission was don't kill them. The minute we see a group of black guys sitting at the table, no crime to be seen, just chatting with him, she fucking blows all their brains out.
Speaker 3: Ain't got some shit. She has a whole thing about us.
Speaker 4: She's upset because he there being a misogynist or whatever, chopping it up with the black eyes. You just murdered a fucking room full of negroes, but y'all was protecting the white guys every other episode. Me and my boyfriend was outraged and I was like, Paus.
Speaker 2: Get this shit off the airwaves.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's also like because of the genre mashup, it's like people either looked at it to a lens of being like a spy thing, which it wasn't, or like a rom com, which it or romantic sort of a metaphor for like a relationship. But like the mapping of the two like definitely too. Like towards the end, we're like can you get away with like setting off grenades at the fucking Whitney and then getting in a full on knife fight at the high Line and then be a little like prants your way home and then you're like, what legal reality are we.
Speaker 3: Just out like this? Just like this, it's visible. I'm just like y'all have to.
Speaker 1: They didn't get captured on a ring cameras after the first episode when they like blew up that house and where was that like Long Island?
Speaker 4: Also what would and where they were just running through the streets queens it was cool, queen openly running. But then when they had them like in the middle of fucking Union Square, so you this would don't make no sense. So they're supposed to be spies off the graded, nobody's supposed to see or know them. Again, you give them different names, but they live right there in the middle of the city to be seen. And this man childish can be no so supposed to be off the grid, Heiden, it's just chatting it up.
Speaker 3: What is all fun?
Speaker 2: Funk?
Speaker 4: But he's in the Market Square?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, is this foolishness?
Speaker 4: Foolishness?
Speaker 1: Maybe all right, we've had that as an underrated before and now we got the counterpoint someone was underrated. Yeah yeah, I mean I think people, well a lot of people like that show.
Speaker 3: And they're wrong for that. I don't I feel like people talking.
Speaker 1: About it badly. All Right, we're going to take a quick break and then we're going to come back and talk about more movies and shows that are specifically giving us the wrong idea about how the criminal justice system works in the United States. Will be right back, and we're back, and I mean, we we've talked about copaganda. It's kind of it's like describing water to a fish a little bit. In the United States, especially if you grew up in like the eighties and nineties, just so many TV shows, so many movies are fucking copaganda. Like the cop like that is like a fault that Oh yeah, well the protagon of this is gonna be a cop. But Miles, he found a study from twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of analysis because you know, I think in twenty twenty is when people started being like, well, what the what the fuck are our shows saying about the police. And at that time, you know, the study show that like almost nearly twenty percent of scripted TV was about cops and that didn't even include shit like live PD or cops and not like the reality end of the spectrum. And then another subsequent study took like study nine of these scripted police shows. They found Wow, this and this will blow you away. Those writers' rooms zero black people show runners, zero black show runners, and the kinds of people that were in those writers' room were like posting shit on Twitter about lighting up protesters. And then even Dick Wolf or I think it was Dick Wolf had to be like, hey man, I'm sorry, Bro, you're gonna you're gonna have to fucking bounce on this show because you kind of too out there with your opinion about how you see people in the streets. But hey man, thank you so much for your work completely obscuring what police do in our society. So yeah, I mean, like, and you just the the menu of s is staggering, Like the number of ways you can sort of interact or intersect with some kind of narrative where it's like and the police, you know, they're just complicated folks doing their best, you know, so let's not go too hard on them. Let's not go too hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it don't even be just the police show. The police shows to me, the ones that are more blatantly obvious, like this is a police show, are actually easier to deal with because at least I don't have to try to convince you why that's copaganda. You could see that, but it's baked into all the other things. Like I was watching the Chippendale, the Chippendale Rescue Rangers movie, which if you first of all, I never even really dawned on me. The Chipendales themselves right, like they're little police of their woodland, of their woodland world. But in the Chippendale live action movie, the whole thing is that they're working with their taking on the mission for the police because the police are being held up by all these Fourth Amendment protections. They're like, all the police can't do the jobs, so the police go to the chipmunks that have the chipmunks do it because all of these fucking constituential protections and rights you're supposed to have in the way, that's the whole I'm like sitting there watching it, like, ain't that the pitch.
Speaker 3: Look at this?
Speaker 1: Or I was watching a new one, the one, Yeah, the.
Speaker 4: New one, the live action Go watch it. It's crazy yeah, that's what happens in the live action or even if you look at. Me and my boyfriend talk about this a lot because he's a he loves Spider Man and the Spider Verse. And I went on and watched the second one, and I was I went with my friend alex Elo all overruled on TikTok who's also a PD, and he he he. We were just both like, what is this? So Spider Man is like they have it and specifically Spider Man would otherwise stringing all over the place, but suddenly he needs to take the subway just so he could stop and you could see the subway station stops for which areas in Brooklyn, which Black dabuds they were choose in, and just having him fight crime there and then leave.
Speaker 3: Go back on me. I'm like, look at this ship, look at it, look at it?
Speaker 1: Is that that's the second one, the Tom Holland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, the Spider Verse.
Speaker 4: No with Black Spider Man's Oh that's oh yeah, yeah, relentless NYPD promo. The amount of NYPD cars in that in that Spider versus crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was watching Zootopia with my kids recently, like that is wild copaganda. Just yeah, like the protagonist just all she wants to do for her whole life is be a cop, even though people don't think she can be because she's too small.
Speaker 2: And then she yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just like every eighties crime movie, like partners with like a wily criminal and then they like kind of you know, figures it out. But like Zootopia, I would I wouldn't have even really thought about it that much until you watch it. Paw Patrol we've talked about on the show. Absolutely capaganda the worst.
Speaker 4: Those those to me, those kinds of shows and stuff are the worst because especially when people like the Cara like, people will think it's not topaganda if they like a car or something, if they like it, right, That's the thing with Spider Man. I'm like, that's what makes it bad. Like all the other things bad copaganda, is that it's effective that all the other things you like about it. This animation is amazing that they gave you a black kid. You know, it's not lost upon me that they gave you a black Spider Man. And they said his dog, his daddy's gonna be NYBD, his best friend's daddy gonna be NYBD.
Speaker 3: We gonna have invite, Like that's what it is.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, those men are more harmful than even the cop shows. It's when you think you're not watching copaganda, because at least you could go into a cop show, which you're like Antenna's up. But if you think you're gonna go watch your cartoon, you're gonna go watch Lucifer and all these things, and they find a way to be.
Speaker 3: Cops, shoots, even charmed.
Speaker 4: Why are the witches, Why are fucking witches and wizards working with the police. Why do they need the police assistance? They are working with the police. They had they had what's her name, pru was in a relationship with a cop.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, just for her safety, I guess, or not safety. It's very hard to tell. The one thing too, about Miles Morales, that character, his dad's name is Jefferson Davis. You're like the president of the Confederacy. It's just a coincidence, man, his dad Davis. Like, let's also throw that in there for our history, buffs. But like I think also too, like I think about like New York Undercover. I think that's when the Dick Wolfe's most underrated contributions to copaganda like the and for the entire genre, because he took two detectives of color and put it's like, hey, for the hip hop generation, look at this, we got we got the we got it like a Latino detective, a black detective, and we will even cast rappers in the show, you know. And I remember that disarmed. That was so disarming for me because I was like, oh shit, like this rappers and they're okay, cool, this is cool.
Speaker 1: Oh what are they trying to do?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Because like now kids that were like raised on here in NWA and fuck the police or public enemy are like, well, you know, Detective Williams and Detective Torre is like they all right though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how it works in real life, right, Like that media media is replicating a strategy that they use in our politics in real life. That's why Eric Adams is a cop, right, The mayor in New York City is a cop, the biggest cop, the lover of NYPD.
Speaker 4: But that's what makes him so dangerous is because they're able to advertise him. He calls himself, he calls himself the hip hop Mayor. He brings a bunch of rappers around, even though he actively criminalizes hip hop music like declaire the war, Declaire war on drill music and rap music like days after he took office.
Speaker 3: But people aren't That's not what they're hearing.
Speaker 4: What they're getting presented to them is a black guy putting on airings telling them you know, yeah, and that's why it's.
Speaker 2: Bad, right, And he's like, Hey, I'm at the after parties, you know what I mean. You see me in the background celebrating to launch of this new Chase credit card.
Speaker 4: You're like, because it allows people, it affords people of protection, right, Because then people get to say, oh, it can't be racist, or it can't be a problematic or whatever has you because you have this diverse, this marginalized persons as the avatar for it, when in reality, that's the whole thing with systemic systemic institution. Once you put you diversify a systemically racist institution, what happens is those diverse members have to go even harder about punishing theirrow when people to prove themselves to that system.
Speaker 2: And then ah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that point about hit like Dick Wolf taking like putting rappers in his show, Iced Tea, who was like, when I was a kid, was at the center of a controversy about like having a song about killing cops and then the thing he's mainly known for now is playing a cop on TV.
Speaker 3: And his politics have moved that way too, right, But like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just capitalism is so insidious like that. You know, we talk about capitalism being the singularity that everybody was afraid of, where it's like it gets smarter and more advanced than any single human mind can conceive of. Like that's just if you if you had a million years to map out. Okay, So how are we going to deal with this swelling from like actual people who are struggling, who don't have enough to eat and who are living victimized by police and creating this music that really connects with people. Like the idea of like taking them and putting them in the most powerful copaganda like is so insidious, But it's not. It's not a thing that like any one mastermind had to come up with. It's just like the forces of capitalism and the media just like kind of put that shit together, you.
Speaker 3: Know exactly, And it's funy.
Speaker 4: You should bring up Iced Tea because it was Iced Tea that actually declared Eric Adams the hip hop mayor of New York City.
Speaker 3: I mean it's my first episode on my show.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people like because we've talked about on the show, we've had you while, we've had we've you know, had alec Errick Sanas on and talking about these issues. I think a lot of people are pretty well like they they're able to recognize like the cop of the copaganda element pretty well. But another thing that I hear you talk about in many others is not it's not just the cop part, it's also the law proganda as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like kapaganda isn't just about when people hear it, they think of it as just police, but it's what it is. Copaganda refers to anyway like the media tries to feed you or indocrinate you into supporting policing or or prisons in policing, that's what it is. Anything that essentially essentially reiterates a cops narrative, what a cop would want you to think about of a situation. So it's like they want People will say, they're like, you'll tell them law an artists kind of copaganda, and they'll act like it's not because it shows Stabler doing legal things, and it's like, that's the fucking point. You love Stabler, It should you you spin it gives it feeds you a show where you love him, you watch him, you you recognize why this character does this, and you see it as necessary or you come to to see it as normal. There's a reason why if you watch, if you watch shows all the time, you're you're in law and order.
Speaker 3: Is is the influences, uh, cannot be understated.
Speaker 4: But so if you take a law and order, if you watch for for years, it become a normal part of policing. That the police you love, who you believe are just the are trying, they want to do the right thing, and their intentions are so good, and you watch them regularly be aggressive or beat up people as a real Why police brutality is the narrative of police brutality is only ever when someone dies, but never just the regular aggression and abuse that we see as a regular part of policing.
Speaker 3: No one thinks anything about you.
Speaker 4: You see police roughing people up, and you don't think of that as brutality or illicit. You think of that as that's policing, and that's normal to you, right, Yeah, can.
Speaker 2: You talk to just a little bit too, because I think the one part that I wasn't always wrapping my head around was how like the prosecution element of it works because while the police are the people on the street this harmful system, it continues through the actual like judicial system and things like that. And I think that's another part that like when you watch a law and order, you're like, oh, okay, so like they get mad when like they take a plea deal. They're like, oh, he got away because like he pled out. It's like, oh, it's a loophole that these people are are like you know, at being able to abuse or whatever.
Speaker 3: But came out.
Speaker 4: Prosecutors love plea deals more than anybody else. Like they're the ones, like they they want plea deal. They're the ones they weaponize plea deals and cash bail in order to get convictions that they otherwise would and get.
Speaker 3: They're the ones that do that.
Speaker 4: So whatever, what often happens in the criminal system is police someone someone will be arrested, take for example, like a homeless person or someone with mental health issues who has a long rap sheet, because that's what the media likes to sensationalize what happens.
Speaker 3: How they end up with that long rap sheet.
Speaker 4: Is say they'll arrest somebody for something, something petty that shouldn't even be criminal or whatever. They'll arrest a homeless person because they can. And then what will happen even though this case would if this, if this were a case against me or you, the case would end up being thrown out or resolve some other way. Would not end in a criminal conviction under any circumstances. But what they'll say to the homeless person or the person with mental health issues, or someone who they know don't have any resources.
Speaker 3: They'll say, plead to the charge.
Speaker 4: You can plead to the charge and be released now, or we'll set cash bail on you and you have to go to Rikers while this case is open, you know, So someone wanting to go to Rikers for e period of time, they will plead to the charge, so they'll take the and then that keeps happening, and now they have this long criminal sheet that could be weaponized against them. But what happens with a coppaghandam when it comes to prosecutors is first of all, a thing a miracle of to do.
Speaker 3: In general is America likes to discard parts. So it can preserve the whole. It will Curtis America, will allow you to criticize police, or it will feed you a narrative about private prison so that you don't criticize prisons in general overall, or you don't criticize the criminal system overall. So police or who the narrative gets rested on, you know, they never let it get past police. So people go, oh, police are bad, Police do this, Police do these things, but they never recognize that it's the prosecutors who have to carry that out right. So and also how copaganda I think really is really really probably one of the most harmful things it does is it encourages people to talk to the police throughout across all mediums of copaganda, all the different top shows or shows that are not even about cops, and they just happen to have that kind of scene it they always have where people are faced with the stillm of talking to the police. Talking to the police, they're negotiating with the police about their case. In real life, the police don't have shit to do but your case. Police make the arrest, and then you're dealing with a prosecutor and a criminal system. The police will just be witnesses. At most in the case, they have nothing to do with what would deal you end up with or what you even get charged with.
Speaker 2: But the shows are always like, hey, man, you talk to me, you know you come you come clean to me. I'll make sure, I'll make sure this isn't messy for you, just for a lawyer, and right well, and also you also fed this thing too, Like if you watch shows like Dateline and stuff that are about like you know, like murder cases and things like that, the detective will always be like, the second they asked for a lawyer, I knew they were guilty, you know what I mean. And it also feeds this thing to to sort of like, you know, create the subtext that like actually exercising your rights makes you more suspicious and maybe you are actually because why wouldn't all the or all the true crime.
Speaker 3: And you know what I think is so funny.
Speaker 4: Every every true crime you go and watch is about some case where the police fail to do ship right, like every single one. And that's somehow, yes, but they will somehow and what is very obviously policing failure. The whole thing is about policing failure. The argument will be how the police like they their arms were tied by some bullshit that their arms were not tied by by Oh they didn't have this, they didn't have that, and it will become this like indictment of the defense. So people have been rights so or blah blah blah, rather than the fact that the fucking police don't do shit right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the law and order thing is so insidious, like you just you don't get to follow a single criminal prosecution anywhere else, like from arrest through trial, and like it really feels like, you know, the thing we know about Hollywood is like they they like an underdog story. There's this massive like machine that is swallowing up innocent people and just making them disappear from their everyday lives. And we never really see like how that machine actually works.
Speaker 4: It's just Yeah, A big, a big aspect of copaganda that doesn't get talked about in all these shows is the investigation because in real life there is none, Like, there is none, There is no fucking investigation. All these shows show you police just fucking beating their heads in trying to get to the bottom of something. Police don't solve no fucking crime. What happens in real life. Is someone accused of something of something, the police arrests them and what they knew at raiments is the case with the information you got, Like, they don't go trying to figure something out. No one is on a quest to get to the bottom of it. Also, another thing calapaganda does is it makes defense. It reinforces this idea that the only people who are deserving of representation or can be victims in a criminal system, or who are innocent or what have you, right, because they'll always have defense attorneys. They'll paint defense attorneys is these people who believe their clients are innocent or who are either stumb who know that they're representing these bad, terrible, evil people they're getting out and they're rich for doing it, or they're naive and think that they're innocent and they're on a quest to find out that their client is innocent, to confirm that their client is innocent or otherwise they can represent them.
Speaker 3: I just watched Tyler Perry s a movie. Oh Jesus, Tyler Perry.
Speaker 4: I just watched Tyler Perry move just the other night where he had it where this defense attorney is supposed to be representing this guy accused the murder, and all she's spending her time trying to do is trying to like undermine the story, trying to find out whether or not he's he's innocent, and then once she thinks he's guilty, she quits, What the fuck?
Speaker 3: That don't have nothing to do with the pras of Tea in China, like you have to represent him? Like what are we doing like that?
Speaker 4: That has nothing to do with nothing, but that's how it paints it to you. So the defense are automatically made up to be bad people on the side of bad or otherwise, if they weren't on the side of bad, if they would, if these were people who deserved they would be washing their hands in this case, or they would what they love to do in copaganda's have a defense attorney quit and become a prosecutor.
Speaker 1: They love that.
Speaker 2: But that's say the light after this.
Speaker 4: They did that in Lucifer, they actually had they and Lucifer a show about the devil, about Satan.
Speaker 3: Satan.
Speaker 4: They have Satan himself come to earth and the only way for Satan to reconcile himself with God is to work with Lapd and the worst person he in contact with they say, is the defense attorney who in order for her to make it to heaven, she had to become a prosecutor.
Speaker 1: Is that real?
Speaker 3: That's what the fuck happened in that show.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Imagine you're me thinking you're gonna go and watch a nice, wholesome show about the devil and you get nothing but copaganda. It's like wow.
Speaker 2: Even here, it's like, well, why are the lapd the arbiters of who gets into okay whatever?
Speaker 4: All the fucking lapd in the show a corrupt they have, like really like corrupt, But somehow that's not the problem they had, Like the wife of the man cop that he works with, the husband of the man cop that he works with, ex husband is a whole crooked cop doing all kinds of shit, and they have his real moral dilemma to be Like when he's dating the prosecutor, I say, ain't this a bout a bitch?
Speaker 2: Right? It's it's just wild, like how the effects of the the you know, obviously copaganda helps is like pr for the legal system and police and things like that, and help support like the biggest myths we have, Like so you know, it's completely just Dad's our ability to think critically because if you go like like, I wonder, man, are police are they a threat to marginalize communities? You're like, no, no, no, man, because I've seen TV and most of them are just good and you know some of them are just going through stuff like the characters on the shows, or what if can they do like more with less money. It's like, well, no, absolutely not, because they're the only thing that keeps us in our society from fully devolving into the purge. And then on the other side too, it completely we have no idea actually how the legal system works, so if you actually begin to interact with it, you're like, well, based on what I've seen, I don't I don't know if I have rights or maybe I should talk to the police, or do I go to trial? Because you don't you also don't see the part about how coercive, like the whole plea deal thing is in real life, where they're like, hey, man, if you actually look if you go to trial, like you're looking at twenty five to life, but or they make it feel like.
Speaker 4: That's what good aggressive policing is, right like when Stabler and these people are blowing down on these people and being real aggressive and confrontationalless to those on the shows, they act like that's what's needed, That's that's what tough on crime is, right, Like tough on crime as a whole concept. Law and order, which Republicans speak all the time long art, is an actual term they use twenty four to seven. So it's like a coincidence, like what law and order is and what that is, Like it's a it's a direct correlation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just going back to the true crime point, like we find you find out these staggering lapses and police werek Like we talked about that serial killer in Long Island who was on the loose for like a decade, and they had a description of his like extremely rare car from like one of his first crimes, and it was like he lived like blocks away from it, and they like knew this a whole time. They just like didn't chase it down. Like it's just they don't because it was a while. Yeah, they don't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: They don't, like they literally don't give a fuck.
Speaker 4: Like it's funny, like people who so believe in policing and believe police solve crime don't be to people who have experienced having to try to you ask the police to solve a fucking crime like you've obviously never called the beliefs if you believe that they solve shit, like you know what happened. So when I when I a year ago, my TV got stolen, right, I ordered a new TV and I left it in the hallway, right. And I left it in the hallway because I was like, oh, I my guys come in and mounted in the morning. I don't feel like carrying it up the stairs. Wrong decision. The minute I left to go to the gym. Clearly some girl who live in my building told her boyfriend to come jack this TV. It's very clear to me that this was happened. And I know this because I have proof.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Anyhow, I'm not the ops and I'm a defense attorney, so I have no interest whatever you lost a TV like, they took to tv Amazon and replaced that. For me, I have no interest in getting I don't care nothing about nothing. But what I think is interesting is that even if I did want them to go to jail, let me take you out. The police don't give a fuck about nothing. Right Because Amazon, I go to Amazon to put in that I need a new TV. Because my TV was shacked. Amazon goes, oh, you'd have to you have watch out the police state works, right. Amazon goes, you have to file a police report in order to get the for us to give you a replacement. Right, so you gotta call the police. My landlord, I tell my landlord my TV was stolen. My landlord goes and gets the security footage and shows me the.
Speaker 3: Guys stealing my TV. Like, oh, seamless too.
Speaker 4: It was excellent. I couldn't even mean I was excellent. It was very clear they had their eyes on that TV all day. The minute I left that building, someone texted them.
Speaker 3: They buzzed.
Speaker 4: They came in with their face masks, COVID protection. They came in with their face masks, and they literally they picked up the TV. Like walk right out the door. You can see them. You can fully see the people. The polices ain't even ask.
Speaker 3: They don't give a fuck.
Speaker 4: They were like, they know I have a video. They were like, yeah, so anyway, that's what you needed, right something, didn't ask, didn't didn't get the video. They were like, real, right that you had a video, didn't look at it, didn't look at it, didn't ask me to be sent nothing. The other day, there were two little girls. I was walking in my neighborhood and there were two little girls running, a seven year old and a four year old running through the street, and I'm like, what the fuck, where are their parents and stuff? So and then I see them run to this white lady, and me and this white lady end up going on and spending the quest the rest of the evening trying to find where these little girls came from. Right, one is seven and one is four. The seven year old's bad ass was in on it. The seven year old snuck them out of the Like when when the people at the day care, and I'd figured her out at the daycare, turned their back. She took the little four year old and she went running. She wanted to go to her little friend's house, and she don't know where she's going. She is seven, but she's not trying to go back, so she won't help us, So she's like actively leading us in the wrong direction. Spend hours a little four year olds who didn't anyway. When I finally get these little girls back to back to the house as the police are coming outside to us, they're fen police inside the house just looking at these people for hours, like I don't know where the kids is or whatever, hadn't gone searching around the neighborhood. Nothing right, I returned to kids. They did not even They didn't take my name, they didn't talk to me. They didn't make it not a statement, not a check for how the fuck did they know? I didn't snap the I didn't like take those little girls. They didn't know that anyway they'd come from, if something had happened to them, how they know?
Speaker 3: They don't know that, but they ain't.
Speaker 2: Check because they shit, Yeah, it could be a lot of work if we have to look into this. So I'm just gonna say, yeah, cool, thanks, I promise you.
Speaker 4: Literally I had to like volunteer, like like trying to tell them like, hey, this is what happened.
Speaker 2: Is weird.
Speaker 4: This one was that I did not give them.
Speaker 3: It was just looking. They'd been in the house for hours, just looking at them. Mothers cry like just like this.
Speaker 4: They weren't even like outside, like they weren't controlling the neighborhood or anything.
Speaker 3: They were just more and I'm coming just looking house like I don't know where the kids are?
Speaker 2: Got some more of this food?
Speaker 3: Like we were walking around the same neighborhood in broad day like to like falling.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about some more of how this ship works. We'll be right back, and we're back. And one thing that we like to talk about on the show is just like selection bias, like where you just see when they suddenly start reporting every instance of shopping lifting, even though shoplifting is like going down broadly across the country, it's going to seem to people like, oh my god, yeah, poor poor people are out of control.
Speaker 4: They and you know, it's funny that was all debunked, like they spent all the twenty twenty and twenty twenty one doing all of that, all the own rise in shoplifting, rise in shoplifting, and when they finally put out all their articles, oh because like I think it was Walgreens that admitted that they had overblown these figures and all this different stuff. But even regardless, not only is it a lie, like a lot of like this colropaganda is just lying. It's just literally lying to create mass hysteria so people feel like there's a lot of crimes, so people feel unsafe regardless of what the actuality is. But even if it wasn't, let's say it wasn't. Let's say it was a bunch of people's shoplifting. How what Let's ask why, Like they are in a global pandemic. If there was a fucking pandemic, people lost their jobs, places closed down, all of this and the next thing America. Most Americans that are actually that are in debt are in medical debt in this country. So imagine a global pandemic the mind with a country of people who don't have healthcare and in medical debt and losing their job, might there be a reason they would shoplift?
Speaker 2: Right right? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, no, no, we don't survival crime that look, no, no, no, these people are out of control. And that's why I look, we need the police, need tank money, they need.
Speaker 4: They need drones, they need robot dogs, and they need robots in the National Guard in the subways.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But and in America, obviously property crime. You want to see like what that things aren't adding up in the American consciousness, Like the way that they Americans respond to property crime as opposed to you know, physical endangerment of people or physical harm to people. Is you know, it's I think there's like a dissonance where the American mind conflates spiritual value for people having more stuff and so like that, you know, shoplifting specifically gets at that and like causes them to like short wire.
Speaker 4: You know, it's this idea that the haves like, they have an idea but the haves and the have nots, and it's that the haves deserve to have they have because it's what they're deserving, and the have nots don't deserve, and that's why I don't have it. So who the fuck are these undeserving have nots to take my hard earned deserve shit, which is usually shit that they do not have, because it's usually the have nots like loudly defending the halves because they believe that they could one day have and they rather relate to the potential of being the halves than their reality, which is that their the have nots.
Speaker 3: Is this rough?
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other place we see selection bias is just like you know, well, with scripted TV, like we're only seeing even though it's much more common for underprivileged people to be kind of pulled into this massive machine and like just unfairly removed from their lives, from the lives of their loved ones, a true underdog tail that is supposedly what like TV and movies like that, we we don't get those stories. We just get stories of Yeah, Miles, like you said that, the police are humanized like if they if they fuck up, it's because they're having a bad day. That's who we learn to make excuses for.
Speaker 2: There's never one where it's like, oh I could I could understand why this person who is completely even marginalized by society has like has a different set of financial recourses available to them. For other people, it's more like.
Speaker 4: And even even though they choose to try to highlight it a kind of crimes, right like think about it. The most popular law and order is law and order. Ask for you, like, there's a reason for that, right Like sexually sexually heinous crimes. Anybody who's ever been the victim of sexual any kind of sexual crime, be the first person and tell you that that's the that's the thing the criminal system gives the least of a fuck about. That's the first thing the police are going to tell you to get out their face for it. They don't probably like those are are are widely, under under prosecuted, under dealt with all these different things by comparison to other things, and they make up the minority of what's in the criminal system. You could represent a thousand people and never have a sex crime, but you wouldn't know that if you have law and order asked for you.
Speaker 3: And all these kinds of shows.
Speaker 4: Laurnata wouldn't be so popular if that every episode was based on what is the everyday case.
Speaker 3: In the criminal system. If it was just an episode like some kid.
Speaker 4: Was yelling at his mom and his mom called the police for the police to talk to him, and they arrested him and said an issue to order protection out in court. Or some family was fighting, or some neighbor or you banged on your neighbor's door and now they called the police and they charged you with criminal mischief. Like that's the kind of thing that's actually happening every day in New York's legal system. And I think that's the thing that crimes my care about lawen Arder and specific is I work in New York, so I'm like, I know this.
Speaker 3: Is very this is not a condoms that didn't work in this city. Is like, it's a criminal journey.
Speaker 4: That's not what's in the system at all, and from either level, Like when I was in law school, I interned at the DA's office just to fucking see.
Speaker 3: Just confirm what I already know. So I'm like, you ain't gonna tell me no.
Speaker 2: Different, right, Yeah. And it's interesting too because like, yeah, you're not gonna see in these shows, they're never gonna be like, hey, you know, actually felling these crimes down, and it's been down on a continuum. But it's like, to your point, but misdemeanors have gone way up, and is that like just sort of a way like is that just sort of a response in like from policing to be like, well, people got it, Like we need to touch more people.
Speaker 4: So I guess the vast majority of what's in the criminal system are misdemeanors and like traffic offenses and non violent you know, in fractions and things like that. That's what that's what is the majority of what's in the system in the first place, they're not the majority of things aren't felonies. And even if you look at a place like New York City of what our felony is, because which is way less than everything else it's a very tiny portion. Most of those don't plead out or get resolved as felonius. So that's it's literally the least violent crime and feloniese and make up the least portion of crime. But you would not know that if you let the media sell it.
Speaker 1: Right right, Yeah, like you'd think that's all that's happening all the time, for sure. Yeah, it's the selection. Like it's not that they're making up crimes that don't happen. They're just showing you the most violent ones and making it seem like that is all you know. They don't they don't have to lie. They just have to zoom in on a very rare thing and make it seem like, oh that this this shit happens all the time, and they build a world where everybody's scared and willing to give money, unlimited money to the police.
Speaker 3: What you see most in the criminal system are everyday situations either being made criminal, either by the people themselves, by by by by mistake, or or the criminal system getting involved. But what often what I see most of the time are are people having dispute to one another, like they fight with their roommate, they don't like their roommate or whatever. So they decide to get into a curse out with their room mate, they decide to call the police in their roommate and not our roomate, arrest somebody and not as order protections and they and a whole bind or it's usually things like that.
Speaker 4: It's just like interactions between people. They gotten, they into it in the street or whatever have you, or someone or someone someone's arguing and the police hear it, so they come and they arrest them. More well, just things like that, but it's not these sensational Your average case is just not something sensational at all.
Speaker 3: It just isn't.
Speaker 4: And even a lot of the times too, what doesn't get taughtalked about? The police and copaganda weaponizes victims victims stories without ever wanting to actually hear from victims because most of the people that you deal with in criminal system do not want this resolved that way. The ones that are the victims or the complainants are not trying to proceed but the case. And when I when I worked at the I worked interns for the DA's office in law school, what they would do and specifically the DV unit, it would be a lot of they would charge people, and the complainant, who who is the complainant or the victim in the case, is actively there like I don't want this case. I don't want a Kim criminal case. And a lot of the times the kid would be like this is usually somebody they have a relationship with.
Speaker 3: In DV.
Speaker 4: They'd be like, I want them to get counseling, or I want them to get therapy, or I want them to get some other thing. And the court and this is how they tricked them. They would tell them, oh, we can't do that, we can't do that, and less you sign this sign a supportant a position and agree to move forward with the case, and that's how we all offer them. Meanwhile, that's not what's gonna What they want to do is just sign a supportant a position so we could tell the court that this case is converted, that you've agreed for us to proceed and caned prosecute number. That's not with the conversation that they had with the complainant, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It feels like overall the big picture dynamic here is that they show us the worst case scenario, like our copaganda scripted shows show us when a police the police are running into a situation, you can damn well guarantee that situation is going to be fucked up and it's going to put them in danger and like that, even though like that's worse than ninety nine percent of the situations police are actually running into. And then so it's not surprising that when we like when decisions have to be made about like how to deal with conflicts, and these are like everyday conflicts, just disputes between people we've seen before that like these community level actions where it's like no, you just have like people who live in the neighborhood who are deputized to just go and like be a person to these people and like help them. That works much better. But because what we're seeing is the kapaganda and the worst case scenario, we're responding to every situation with the worst case scenario.
Speaker 4: And that's what the community is ask and in real life, the communities asks for community response. They asks for violence intervention and violence intervention methods, ask for counseling, asks for these kinds of things. And what happens is you get mayors like Eric Adams who are going to fund the community initiatives and put more money into the policing and then say and then and then presented to the public that already believes as this manufactured consent into this idea that policing is the only way to respond to crime, and that victims because they're watching nothing but copaganda all day. And then they tell them these are what the victims need. We care about the victims. These old, big bad advocate all these advocates just want people loose. They don't care about crime, they don't care about the community, they don't live in the community.
Speaker 3: YadA, YadA, YadA. That's what they come up with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you feel about just the state of the the state of copaganda and the public's willingness to you know, it felt like at some points there were strides that were being made in terms of people being aware that the police are not an effective way of dealing with most communities. But then there's also been this mainstream media narrative where like I remember one of Alec CARRICKTT Sanus's email newsletters was about the way that random quotes get used in copaganda, and like this NPR article where they just quote a neighborhood kid being like, uh, yeah, man, People are like more willing to carry guns now and that's why more people are getting shot. And then defund the police, as he puts it. And yeah, you know, Alex was pointing out, we never defunded the police. First of all, they are at all time highs right now. But the way that the like the mainstream narrative came down to us was police got defunded and crime went up.
Speaker 3: It's really infuriated. How to get to lie? Yeah, yeah, you just get they get to bold.
Speaker 4: Like. That's the thing that's so infuriating, right is when you're when you're an advocated gangst policing and mass incarceration, you could be a whole expert, you can be an attorney, you.
Speaker 3: Can be whatever.
Speaker 4: You have to cite every fucking word you say. You have to cite every word. Meanwhile, they can just bull face lie and even when people even when they are lying, just lying and being caught in lies. The best you could get people to do is call it misinformation. They never call it what it is, which is a just lying manufacturing things all the time. But I would say this, people have been that's not new, right, like coppaganda. It has been when people are fed and indoctrinated to believe in so many ways. It's not even just like shows and media in terms. At this point, we have generations and generations and generations and generations of people that have been raised in this world that believes that and has to reinforce in so many respects. I mean, just down to being a lot kid and you play cops and robbers, you know what I mean, It's a regular game who's the good, who's the bad?
Speaker 3: Right, Like, That's what it is.
Speaker 4: So when you think about that, in the magnitude of the problem and just how deep it goes, I think we are the fact that we even have people where that are regularly critiquing it at all, that there is even a quite the fact that is even a term, you know what I mean, that people can embrace, and there is a world of there's at least becoming an anti like an antithesis to this.
Speaker 3: This true crime propaganda movement is us moving, moving, incredibly, moving so much forward. I don't think I don't think there's a reason to be deterred, but to feel like it's getting worse because I would not expect that from twenty twenty to twenty twenty four, in four years that we would have undone like one hundred years of being you know what I mean fed support the state.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I mean and that just the wild irony is that the thing that like in retrospect, the statistical analysis of what caused some place that some locations that have a spiking crime during the pandemic was the freezing of like these community based programs that right were actually that are actually effective. That are the thing that like if you do a very small spend on those like as opposed to the massive number of resources that are being demanded by the police for yes, in response to people just suggesting that they maybe be funded a little less.
Speaker 4: What I find frustrating for me is that why when crime like the whole not only do they manufacture crime waves right like they pretend they manufacture them, but less pretend it even is true. Why is that not an indictment of them. I'll never understand why when crime is up, people act like that's that's becomes the plight of people like me. Never once, nowhere, ever have they ever enacted my policy once. There's no place in America that has said, ah, let's defund the police and reinvest in the community.
Speaker 3: Is and make that what we do.
Speaker 4: That's not that's not what they do everywhere. If you're looking at a place like New York City, I don't know, that's not why it's crime. People who want to at me, excuse me. We have the biggest police department in the country. There's thirty six thousand and up. They have eleven billion dollars. Okay, so if someone's fucking up, it's them, right Yo, what are they trying the same thing?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: So that's what I wish is I wish that people would look at them feeling unsafe. If you feel unsafe or you feel like crime is a problem, who is that the fault of if not the people that you have put in charge of and the methods you've been trying. And people will tell you they care so so much about crime, but yet all they ever want to do is do exactly what they've been doing, because they'll be like someontime this to me today, like, oh, all that you're saying might be true, but people speak people. People are scared. They need something done now. First of all, just because you want an overnight solution doesn't mean there.
Speaker 3: Is one crime.
Speaker 4: Crime and crime, poverty and the systemic realities and the root causes of crime didn't just happen overnight. They'll these things have been being put into place for generations, in a long period of time. And the same way you were willing to invest, you're willing to keep trying police, keep trying to invest in that. You will invest in police every year. That's not a problem, and you act to you, that's a full proof idea. That is an expansive idea. Just give more money to the police. But if I say give more money to the community, suddenly that's some fucking radical mythical shit, right, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And there's no and nothing empirically to suggest that all this money being spent is actually rendering result that's positive.
Speaker 3: Like you look at the way, how many police do you need to feel safe?
Speaker 2: Right exactly. And it's funny because any in any other dimension of a person's life, the logic is always like like if anything is like how much they paying that guy to do that terrible job. No, no, no, that's not gonna work. Or sports, how much money they play, like how much they how much they paying for players? How much do they spend on like signing a player? And they still suck. No, no, no, something's got to work out different. But in this instance, it's just like no. I honestly the thinking ends at I don't know, just more money, I guess, because it's just so hard to be in the shift course away from something like that. And it's wild because there's nothing that's showing us that with all the money that's being spent, it's not solving anything. So what is the counter argument?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's just very like old brain, like pre you know, pre advanced brain, thinking of fight or flight, and people just going dumb immediately, and then obviously a great deal of white supremacy mixed in there. Yes, ye, well allow me. I feel like we could talk to you about this for hours. What a pleasure having you on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you, hear more from you?
Speaker 4: You should subscribe to my YouTube channel Illerinati. I have a lot of great content lined up. I'm getting ready to put out a big expos on Greg Abbott, so I'm excited about that, like the one I put out in Eric Adams. Yeah, someone Texas's ass, So do that and follow me on all socials, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, threads at miss so Luran ms O, l U R I N thank you amazing.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? We heard what you thought about mister and missus Smith. What is there anything enjoying?
Speaker 4: I actually I started Avatar or the cartoon for the first time. My boyfriends in the Avatar. I started watching Avatar, and I see the hype. I see y'all, even though I started watching it because people were complain about the Avatar show, saying it's too much exposition. But I'm here to tell y'all, babies that the cartoon is full of exposition and not the best dialogue too, like perhaps your childhood.
Speaker 3: You're remembering this a little bit diferendic because it's a cartoon.
Speaker 1: Win.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, the everything is filled with that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Avatar, Yeah, I liked that.
Speaker 1: I got I got that recommendation during the pandemic. Can I spent some of the pandemic watching them? That's good, it's good. Miles. Where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, followed me at Miles of Gray wherever they serve at symbols. If you like basketball, check Jack and I out on Miles and Jack on Matt Booth Spois and if you like ninety day Fiance, I'm chatting that ship over at four to twenty day Fiance.
Speaker 3: You know, like the and you know what's going You have the channel for ninety day Fiance. I love ninety Fiance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a podcast called four twenty Day Fiance. Yeah, it's a good time. It's a good time. So a tweet I like. Josh Gondleman at Josh Gondleman tweeted, it's fascinating to me how people sometimes roll their eyes at impressions as comedy, but impressions as drama consistently wins Oscars. Yeah wow, good point. And then also at Cardamom, Kissed tweeted she died what she loved walking into the road while saying pedestrians have right of way.
Speaker 1: Tweet I've been enjoying. Rob den Blacker tweeted about the Oscars Is Oppenheimer Godzilla minus one the first time a movie and a sequel both one Oscars in the same year or so. It's pretty clever, Pretty clever.
Speaker 4: Rob.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore. Obrian you can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeikeeist. We're at d daily Zekeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnote where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. Well, it's a song that we think you might enjoy, Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a new track out from Fred again, one of you know the producers of the year really featuring Lil YACHTI and it's called stay in It. One word st a y I n it and it's just like it just feels like a massive, you know, party jam. I have a feeling it's going to be played a lot this summer. But just get your just get your energy, distract stand Fred again. Yeah, we will link off to that in the footnotes.
Speaker 1: Todaily's Eitgeist is a production of my Heart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for us this morning. We are back this afternoon to tell you what is trendy and we will talk to you all then Bye.
Speaker 2: Bye,