Speaker 1: Hello, Brett, A little different and a little different front end for you, the Sweet Life. Normally we would do now reporting or something like that for you, but since we figured since you wrote an article on Buster Posey making a move up to the suite as President of Baseball officer of the Giants, we introduced you with the Sweet Life, So welcome, Bridgeroli. Apparently from Michigan State University. Not go blue. I don't know what they say, but uh, hello, No, hi, guys.
Speaker 2: They say go green, go white.
Speaker 3: Yes, as we say, go blue is probably the worst thing you could say to someone from Michigan State.
Speaker 1: No. I don't know what they said, though, but I didn't know what they said in Michigan State because it's like all you ever hear is about Michigan and go blue. So I didn't know what the I would have said, go sparty, but I don't think that's right.
Speaker 2: You could say go Sparta. That would be totally fine too, but yeah, go blue is enough. Yes, I went to my chicken steak.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: I swam at Michigan State, so big, big Michigan State Athletics.
Speaker 1: Person, do you swim with the pool was frozen? How do you do you go under.
Speaker 2: We swim out. It's not even a joke. We swim outside the outdoor pool until November. There would be snow coming down and you would just go as quick as you could from the door into the pool because the pool was heated, but obviously the air around it was not, so we moved inside after that. But November in Michigan gets pretty cold, especially in the mornings, so it toughened me up for those rough winters in the press box in April, guys, for Toronto and April. Every time I was on the bea, it's like, oh god, Toronto and April.
Speaker 1: Yeah, inside it really was re tough getting there. Oh you had to walk. Sorry, sorry, you had to take the car, you had to take the taxi down into the loading dog you know inside. So yeah, it's tough, tough, tough, tough times for these reporters, KP. You'll learn one day as a media member how tough the media always has it. They'll always let you know, oh rough travel day to day. I got in at noon and got to sleep till two. So anyway, let's talk buster posey here. I'm a medium a guy, now, Britt, I understand the rulers of rough travel life. Okay, let's get into this Buster Posey article that you wrote. It's one of the more fascinating things for me because as a former catcher, former player, you know, people say, do you want to manage? I think being in charge of a team would be way cooler, meaning getting to make all the decisions. And I always thought it was fascinating to see how ex players do we have Chris Young, obviously, we have Craig Breslow, we have Buster Posey, and Buster's kind of the poster child because he was a franchise icon for the Giants. So what did you figure out now that? And how complicated is this situation with him now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think two things can be true. Regressed. I think it's early in his legacy. It's only the second year, and most president of mixedbal operations nowadays get four or five years before we really evaluate them. Buster happened to sign a three year deal, but because he's part ownership, I don't think that really matters. I think he will continue to oversee them as long as they think that he's the guy. But what's interesting is you mentioned us Young and Craig Breslow, Craig Breslow went to the Cubs, Chris Young went and spent some time in the commissioner's office. And also Chris Young was under John Daniels before they fired John Daniels, so in both of those scenarios they had a little bit of experience before they got the head job. Buster went directly from playing to president, and there really wasn't a whole lot of other president for it, except for Derek Jeter, who obviously went from playing to CEO of the Marlins. Derek Jeter is also an icon, won a lot of World Series, but he didn't win them for the Marlins. He won them for the Yankees. So what Posey is doing is virtually unprecedented. Chris Young isn't like it would be like Nolan Ryan taking over the Texas Rangers. You would need that stature of a player. David Ortiz the sign he's going to be president of the Boston Red Sox, right, So there's all these different factors here, and I think to some extent Buster has been graded harshly because people thought he was going to step in and did what he did as a player, which is win three World Series in five years and be a savior and be an icon, and it's a lot harder to build an organization. I think he's learning that firsthand than it is for all of us to sit here and say, well, Buster's just got to go in and sign a few big name players and that's it. And there has been a lot of big swings, and there's been some hits, and there's been some misses, and I just think it's fascinating to look at where he's at. It's certainly an inflection point right now for the Giants in terms of where do they go from here and how do they manage this roster to be a winner in a division that, let's face it, is an incredibly difficult division because you have the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Do you believe is he getting criticized more? You talked about taking some big swings and misses. You believe he's getting more criticized for the hiring of Tony Vitella, or acquiring some of those veteran guys, the Rafael Devers, signing a Matt Chapman, the Williadomas moves.
Speaker 4: I think the.
Speaker 2: Potello was probably the most criticism. And I think you can look at Adamis and Chapman endeavors now and say that maybe that wasn't a good idea, But at the time people universally praised Buster getting the Chapman deal done and kind of overstepping far hans Ad, who was in charge of baseball operations at the time. People understood the Devers deal for what it was, which was making a trade that was probably going to look good on the front end, but on the back end of that long of a deal wasn't going to look great. But they were getting the big name slugger, the big name free agent that they couldn't attract right, so they traded for him a Dames. They are again going out getting offense. Devers and a Damis are still profile ast two of their better offensive players, So I think on the surface, every one of those moves was defensible. I think Tony Battello's getting him as manager the year when there were nine managerial openings and for a team that was a win now team, when they fired Bob Melvin and said the standards were high and they missed the playoffs, I think that was probably the most in a vacuum, head scratching decision. And also, guys, I think that's probably the biggest decision you can make as a president or a GM is who is going to be in your dugout, Who is going to set the tone, who is going to set the cult culture. I think that was probably the biggest risk of them all because everyone whips on free agency. Everyone makes trades great, but then don't age well. But for me, I think the manager position was probably the one that was the riskiest for Buster, And certainly right now you look at it and and it just has not worked out.
Speaker 1: Was this one hundred percent Buster's call on Vitello? Does he did the ownership? Did anyone else have any say in? This was his? Buster's call? Because he's only been there. He has been there less than a year. But you know, we're hearing rumblings. People are starting to say will he be there next year? He's had some quotes from the beginning of the year. He talks a lot. We all know that which we love is the media, right, but sometimes he says some things and a lot of people are like, wait, what is he talking about? So was this Busters higher alone for Tony Vitello?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that a couple things. People forget that when this search went down. Nick Conley was the guy and they had kind of tabbed him, and Nick Conley, currently with the Texas Rangers' front office, chose to take himself out of the running, and once that happened, it became very clear that it was going to be Tony Mattello. And I think it was a collaborative group within that front office. But one thing I learned from talking to dozens of people inside the organization and out is that Buster is the final say. Buster is not just the face of the organization and a figurehead. He makes the decisions. He is decisive. That is one thing that people consistently said. So at the end of the day, this was Buster who made this call. And I think on the surface, the way they defended it and why he thought Tony was the guy and still could be the guy could grow into this role certainly was the culture. And he thought that what he did in Tennessee, in creating a culture, in recruiting guys, in what he was able to build there, was what he wanted to build with the giants. I think there have been some very public growing pains when it comes to bullpen management, when it comes to leading guys who aren't seventeen to twenty two years old and you're talking about guys who are in their thirties making thirty million dollars a year. I think that has been a little bit different, but that is what Buster was trying to do, is create this culture and going with a new manager I think he thought would bring some energy. I do think Bettello is getting better. I do think he's growing into this role. But I think what people around baseball questioned at the time, and it is a fair criticism, is whether that was the right move for a Giants team that was built to win. Now that fired Bob Melvin because they missed the playoffs in back to back years, and because Buster said our bar's up here, we have a very high bar. I think it's then hard to rectify that with what has transpired this year.
Speaker 5: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we. They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about itcrats.
Speaker 6: Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt. My son sold one of my t shirts. So it's gotta be nice looking.
Speaker 5: And if it gets a little bit chillier, then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com, slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Dating back to the rumors of Aaron Judge signing in Sansco not signing in San Francisco, Sama Tisco is a tough.
Speaker 4: Place to hit offensively.
Speaker 3: It's also the city has gone a little bit downhill.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that nicely.
Speaker 3: Does Buster Posey and his front office have a plan of a better way of attracting free agents?
Speaker 2: That's that great question. I don't know if they have a specific plan in place other than winning, right. I think the only thing, the only way you get guys to come there is if you're going to win and if you're going to make them better. And that's I think what you sell people on, whether it's a pitcher or a hitter, you sell them on the organization's success, and you sell them on Listen, we think you should tweak this or do this with your delivery or your batting stance, and we think that this will happen. These are the numbers we have projected for you. So I think a lot of the proof of that stuff is in the put in. I also think for the Giants, and Buster said this numerous times, that they have to build from within, that their farm system has to be a big source of how they get better, how they get younger, and we're starting to see that. Baseball America yesterday said they were the fourth best farm system. That's up from about the middle of the pack. To start the season, we saw the trade deadline them trade not only free agents but also players under club control. We saw them kind of emphasize getting younger collecting prospects. Now, the issue is going to be that Chapman, Devers, Adamees are only getting older and they're expensive, so they're going to have to, in my mind, spend next year maybe papering over problems with free agents, but then looking to the future, looking at busters fourth, fifth, sixth year. If he stays in that position, I think that's when you're going to see those young guys that are in low A ball, those young prospects that are highly touted come up, and that might be a time for the organization to say, Okay, we're selling off these big contracts. Our young guys are here and there in the way, But I think the next year or two might be like a little bit of ugly transitions as they move forward. They certainly have the money and could spend the money to compete next year. And his Buster reminded me several times the years they didn't win the World Series, they didn't make the playoffs, So a lot can change from one year to the next, especially when you have the resources of a San Francisco Giants team. I do think they're going to go out and have to fix the pitching that's really been what's doomed them is that relief pitching. But I think as you look at the health of this organization moving forward, it's all going to stem from what they've done in the minor leagues and whether or not Buster gets a chance to see that through. I'm not sure they cannot afford another season like they had this year. But I think as they turn this corner, they have to look at it as getting back to pitching defense and just getting a lot.
Speaker 1: Younger bright as somebody that knows that the Giants fans can be a little bit not nice to people at times. Do they have the patients? Do they have the patience for that? The Giants fans have the patience to wait three four more years?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Because this is every week we have GMS. We have Jim Bowden on, we have Jim Duqutt, we have Dan Dukett, all these guys who've been GMS, and it's always the new wave of GMS is, oh, give me five years and then or give me three years to clean it out and then give me five years, so then I really get eight years to get my players in. Well, the Giants are a win now franchise, especially when they look up and they see, oh, the Dodgers are winning every year, Dodgers, Dodgers, Dodgers being thrown down their throat. Do they have the patience to wait two or three, four more years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I think that's a great question. I think that's the reason they haven't embraced rebuild to begin with. I think had they really been honest with themselves, they would have maybe let far Han after they had that terrific year and then they kind of struggled, they would have maybe let far Han just kind of sell off some pieces and rebuild and start back over. I think Buster looked at this team, and you know, as early as last year when they started off really well, and said, we are a win now team. We're going to push our chips in. I think this fan base hasn't seen a rebuild, and I think at this point in time, they're not really set up because of the core that they owe so much money to in the infield, to be a rebuilding team. So I think realistically they have to continue to go for it while also being really good and really judicious with their prospects down below, and that's a tough thing to juggle. We've seen an executive struggle to do that. We saw Hein Bloom with Boston really struggled to keep the Red Sox really as a competitive team on the field. And then also improve them in the minor league system. It's a tough juggling act. The Tampa Bay Rays are really good at that. Obviously, they've won a nine in a row. They're also ranked the number one system. Eric Neander's one of the best executives in the game. We're asking Buster Posey, who had no front office experience before taking this role, to do what is probably the most difficult thing in baseball, which is to win now but also set the organization up for the future. And so I think that is also what's making this whole situation difficult.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Most of the time, when you come in and you're a president, you're inheriting like Peter Bendex and or Paul Taboni, and you have the five years because you got to burn it to the studs. We are grading Buster a little bit on a curve because we feel like the Giants should be good now because they're constantly built to win now. And now we're being told, well, we care about the minor league system. So it's a really interesting point that they're at right now. I don't know if the fan base would be okay with saying, hey, we're gonna be bad for three years. But I don't think the Giants have to do that. I think they have the money to compete for a wildcard team next year and to also be good down below. And it's worth pointing out, guys that as bad as the Giants have been this year, like they've never been over five hundred all year, they are still six best in base in home attendance, They're drawing over thirty six thousand fans a night. There is no Oakland A's anymore. They are the only team in the Bay Area, and so I think that also affords them the ability to maybe go out and take more risks, because if you want to see a baseball game, you're going to see the Giants. There is no other alternative.
Speaker 1: You're not going to Sacramento.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you're on a Sacramento to see that. So you know they have a monopoly on that market. They're also one of the three teams that own the stadium. They have a lot of money. They were ranked top five and the latest Forbes valuations like their ey team that I think, and I think we do this with David Stearns too, is like if you're inheriting Peter Mendix and the Marlins. We're going to grade you on a different scale than if you inherit a team that has the resources to compete. Right, No one wants to sit through a five year plan of David Stearns like you're in charge of the Mets. It's the same thing with Buster Posey with the Giants. Yes, this is a hard thing to turn around. Yes it's only second year, but fans see the Giants as this story for franchise, as a group that has a big payroll, it's not afraid to spend, and they want them turned around, and they want them turned around quickly.
Speaker 3: You kind of answered my question. But are we having this conversation because it is Buster Posey? Are we having this conversation because he has no presidential experience? Are we having this conversation if the Giants would have gone out and got someone from a different organization that maybe sat underneath the president.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think, well we're having this conversation because I was interested and wrote a story about this. But I think that if you look at it, it's a couple of different things. If it wasn't Buster Posey in charge and it was a far hanziety type but it wasn't still far Han, who had been there for I think seven years. If they had hired somebody else knew, we'd say, this is only their second year, let's give them some time. Because it's Buster and he was an icon. I think people thought he was going to save the franchise. I don't think people realized that they weren't really in this grade of a spot to begin with, So that, I think is one piece of this. I think another piece of this is that the Giants are a group of fans who win, who are used to winning, who won three World Series in five years, outside of like the Dodgers right now, I mean they were an absolute die and the Houston Astros, like, we're looking at a dynasty. So the people that grew up with that expect that. And the Giants right now are headed toward their fifth non winning season. That's the most they've had in their history. They've never had five non winning seasons in a row. So that's another fact. Is like the Natives are getting restless and they would like to see the Giants return to glory. So I think that there's a lot of different factors at play. And yes, Buster doesn't have the experience and so this is also a big risk, even though it's an icon like Buster Posey. So there's a lot of different things that I think make the situation so unique and so fascinating as we look at the beginning of this Buster Posy era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's amazing. You don't see it happen very often. This is why it's so fascinating to me that someone on this level goes into the front office. Nolan and Ryan did do it. He was the president of the Raging Jersey. He was president of the Astros, but he wasn't the day to day baseball guy. I don't think that Buster Posey is right. I think Nolan probably had a say in it, but he had John Daniels when I was in Texas, right, and he had other people in Houston that would make the day to day decisions, and he was just kind of I'm in charge, and I got the sponsors to come in. So you don't see this happen. I can only look back and see I think of Ozzie Gean, right, because I played for Ozzy and he just had his number retire. A player that was not he wasn't a good of a player as Buster Posey, Right, but then he comes back to manage we win a World Series and then he gets everything. But he also got fired. Well, no, he didn't quit, but he didn't get fired. I don't know he left. Okay, he didn't leave on great terms. Let's just say that. Right, So it ends. And that's the thing that I think is so fascinating is will Giants fans still love Buster Posey if this doesn't work the way they did before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they will. I think they should. You're right with Nolan Ryan, Like that was back in the day when a president was like the real president of business. Right, We've now seen this evolve into president of baseball operations. Right, that has now become a thing over the last decade or so that you know that person is in charge of baseball operations. Same thing with Jeter. Jeter was CEO, but then he hired Kim Ing, so it was a little bit of a different situation. I think Giants fans will still and should still appreciate and love Buster Posey for a couple of reasons. Like one, as I wrote my story, he didn't have to do this, Like he could have gone fished, grown a beard showed up, the World Series reunions, and like his legacy would have been intact. He wanted to do this because he wants the Giants to win so badly, and he feels like he could do a better job than far On and than anyone else, and that he can be the guy to restore them back to their glory. And there's a certain amount of respect for that, Like he is putting it on the line, he's putting his name out there. He could have stayed in ownership right and just been this like silent guy behind the strings, behind the scenes, pulling strings, but he wanted to be the guy. And with that comes the negative, and with that comes to the risk. And I think people should appreciate that a franchise icon cares enough to want to put skin in the game, and that's what Buster is doing. He's probably gonna go to Cooper Sound, maybe as early as next year when he's on the ballot, and that is such a unique thing. I don't think it takes away from what he did as a player, but I think the bar is up here in terms of adding to his legacy, right, Like, if he doesn't win as an executive, if he doesn't win a World series as an executive that will be seen as a failure because of what he was as a player. He was such a winner as a player, and because the Giants are, as he said, a organization of high standards. So I don't think this should tarnish his legacy. I don't think this should take away from anything he did as a player. But I do think this is fascinating because it is such a risk. He doesn't need the money, he doesn't need the spotlight. He's doing this for the right reasons. Will it have the right outcome? We don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Britt, you're comparing him to Derek Jeter. That didn't go so well for him as few years in Miami. So let's hope that it goes better for Buster than it does for what Derek Jeter did. If you haven't seen what David Sampson said about Derek Jeter at wow, that's that was not nice. I'll just say I'll I'll just leave it at that that David Sampson took some some real shots at the captain. So, Frett, thank you so much. It's always a pleasure to see you in your Michigan Blue. We really appreciate it. If you want to read the full article. Oh wait, sorry, Sparty, go click on that full article in The Athletic from brid Giolie. She's the best. Thank you Britt for coming on and discussing this just completely fascinating article.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 1: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here. And as the penachases really heat up, go to seakee can find those green tiicket with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 5: Green dot means very good code for you. It's territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sekeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 7: Welcome everyone to the Thursday edition of Fair Territory. I'm Ken Rosenthal here with my friend and colleague Alana Rizzo. Alana, Our friend and colleague Joel Sherman wrote a column I don't know about two weeks ago in which he was talking about the Red Sox and he was saying, man, it's a long season and we all forget it always, and the Red Sox for one example.
Speaker 4: The Blue Jays will talk about them there another. But the one we want.
Speaker 7: To start the show with is the San Diego Padres from the what y Yeah?
Speaker 8: The latest in terms of this right coming back from the dead.
Speaker 9: Tell me more?
Speaker 4: Well, they won.
Speaker 7: Fifteen of nineteen and if you remember mid June, mid June, not that long ago, six weeks ago, they were last in the National League and runs per game.
Speaker 4: Short time after that, the rotation was in tatters.
Speaker 7: Michael King, a guy who is really their mooth, solid starter, was kind of holding up the rotation. A number of their others were injured other starting pitchers or ineffective. Now they've traded for Robbie Ray, traded for Casey Miies, Joe Musgrove is on his way back, and suddenly they are hitting again.
Speaker 4: Actually not so suddenly.
Speaker 7: This has been building, and this run that they're on it started against Miami, Colorado and San Francisco, three teams that are not or at least at that time were struggling or not really in a place where you would say they're contending.
Speaker 4: But then even when.
Speaker 7: You thought, okay, the Padres are kind of doing it against weaker teams, their schedule got tougher and they started playing tougher teams. Split a series with Arizona two of three from Houston, and now they just have swept Milwaukee and here they are Tatis. Remember he had no homers. He's up to twelve homers. OPS is up to seven seventy three. Merrill Jackson Merrill since July nineteen has been on fire. Three seventy six batting average, nine home runs, eleven hundred OPS, and Manny but Chado, while he's not really hitting seven to ten OPS, two hundred batting average in August, still has twenty three homers so they look like the Padres again, even with all their injuries, and to me, it's impressive what they've done. And it's just another example, Alana of a long season. So here we go, the San Diego Padres. They're back in the playoff mix. They're holding the second spot in the wildcard race right now.
Speaker 4: Good for them.
Speaker 8: It's insane to think that Ken, we had written them off. Some people would have even used as sharpie and said that the San Diego Padres were done, but it is not to be. Let's talk about another team, or really another division that's interesting, and that is the AL East. Three of the best teams in the league all coming from that division, and Ken, it doesn't seem like the Rays have any thought of stopping anytime soon.
Speaker 7: No, and they're coming off a nine to zero road trip, admittedly again against weaker or struggling teams it's Colorado, Seattle and the A's, but hey, you have to win the games in front of you, and we just saw Arizona lose two or three at home to Colorado, so it's not as easy as you think.
Speaker 4: And the Rays, they have done this all season long.
Speaker 7: We've talked about this and what's interesting to me is the effect that Liam Hicks seems to be having in a very short time since arriving from the Tampa I'm the Miami Marlins. Remember the Rays were talking about adding another hitter really could do it at any position.
Speaker 4: They wanted a compliment, a fourth compliment to.
Speaker 7: Their big three of Junior Caminero, Yondi Diaz and Jonathan Ronda.
Speaker 4: Hicks looks like he can be that guy. Now.
Speaker 7: I know it's a small sample, but he's eight for twenty six since the trade. He is a guy with two home runs, three doubles during that time ops about eleven hundred and yes, you'll say small sample, can well guess what a trade acquisition is designed to help you over a small sample. Obviously, Hicks will be with the team beyond this season, but this is the boost that they were looking for. They've got Chandler Simpson hot as well. They're doing some really good things, and of course they have the pitching both at the back end of the bullpen and in the rotation. So the Rays, We've talked about this endlessly.
Speaker 4: They're not going away. They've got a huge lead in the AL East. They are the best team in the American League.
Speaker 8: Ken the Blue Jays or one of those teams we talked about in terms of being streaky again, kind of writing them off as many did with the San Diego Padres. But hang on because Toronto Ken is saying, not so fast is their life.
Speaker 9: For these Blue Jays, there.
Speaker 7: Seems to be alana and it's shocking to see because this team is another one kind of like the Padres, below expectations all season long, rotation, battered by injuries, still having problems in that regard you. Savage is now out, but they've won ten of their last fourteen. They're a game and a half back in the wild card race, and they've gotten a real boost from Brit Bateman, who came over in the Gossman trade, as well as Charles McAdoo at the top of their order. Vlad still does not have a home run at Rogers Center, and there's still questions in the rotation beyond Cease and now Soriano along with Schrzer and Bieber, there really is no fifth and one are injury more and they're going to be in real trouble again with that rotation.
Speaker 4: But they're playing again again.
Speaker 7: The way we saw them play not so much in October, but down the stretch last season in October.
Speaker 4: They were on another level. But one and a half games back in the wild Card. You cannot rule them out.
Speaker 7: And it's been interesting to see this team evolve over the course of the season as well.
Speaker 8: I cannot believe Vladimir ger Junior does not have a home run yet this season at home. I will say this though, I just love saying Charles McAdoo. I love this kid's name. What a great baseball name. All right, as far as the Boston Red Sox are concerned, Ken, they were going on a meteoric tear going into the All Star Break. Coming out of the All Star Break, they looked unbeatable. We never thought they were going to lose again. But not only did they lose again, Ken, they've dropped five straight. What's going on with them?
Speaker 7: Their offense is stalled a little bit. Wilson Contrari's a little bit banged up. I'm not terribly worried. And when you're as hot as they were, there is simply no way you can sustain that. We all knew this was coming to some degree. The good news for the Red Sox is that Roman Anthony seems to be on his way back. There's a chance Croche could come back. Now Whitlock is suddenly a concern. He's got an elbow problem. We'll know more about that as the day.
Speaker 4: And perhaps the weekend goes on.
Speaker 7: But the Red Sox still are in a commanding position, four and a half games up in the wildcard race, holding that lead over the third place team. So they're in a good spot and I don't expect them to go all the way backwards.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, this was coming.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, let's go to the National League for a hot second. Well, actually, I guess two teams, one in the NL, one in the AL. The Phillies Field of Dreams game tonight against the Twins, Bryce Harper in right field. First of all, let's talk about the game itself. This is something that I absolutely love. It's the one thing in my career I've not been able to cover and not being able to attend, and I'm excited about that. I'd like your take on the Field of Dreams. And then what the heck is going on in terms of Bryce Harper and moving him back to the right, you know, to right field, and everything going on with the Phills.
Speaker 7: Well, I did the first two Field of Dreams games for Fox, and they've been on hiatus with this game for a couple of years now, and tonight it will be on Netflix, and I'm interested to see whether it kind of captures the magic of what it was that first year when the Yankees played the White Sox that was amazing. The next year, I believe was Reds and Cubs not so amazing. The novelty kind of wore off.
Speaker 4: But here it is.
Speaker 7: Back after a few years away, and we'll see if it becomes again this big event that MLB wants.
Speaker 4: It to be.
Speaker 7: Now, the Phillies we talked about this at the deadline when they got a rise and they started moving in field pieces all over the place. What was going to be the impact And one of the possibilities, certainly, was that Bryce Harper having to run a little bit more than he would at first base, maybe a lot more in right field. Who knows what that would mean to him, And obviously he's having a left knee issue. His quote was to Charlotte Farnes of the Athletic, I feel like I'm going to spring training game with my arms, legs. Every he feels like he's going to be okay. He wants to play every game. I've noticed a lot of Phillies fans online saying, what are we doing? Why isn't Harper at first? Why isn't Bohm on the bench? If you're going to play Bryce and Scott at third? There were easier ways to go about this. Now, their outfield is very thin, and they didn't really acquire an outfielder, so that was one problem with that idea. But I can see the point there.
Speaker 4: And it's going to be interesting to see at.
Speaker 7: Some point if they sacrificed in the outfield, which has been a problem all season, put Harper back at first, and say to Bom, listen, you're gonna be a part time player now. It maybe should have been what they did in the first place. Then you could have gone and signed Austin Hayes like the Padres did. I know the Phillies had.
Speaker 4: Him before, but there were ways out here.
Speaker 7: This is the path they chose, and it's a perilous path, there's no question about it.
Speaker 4: It's been that way from the very start.
Speaker 8: And ken Rice Harper was an outfielder, and then he became a first baseman, then he was a he was a first baseman, then he's an outfielder again. Now he's back, but his body is feeling it. He's feeling the change in terms of position.
Speaker 9: What do you make of that.
Speaker 4: Well, they're giving him some DH days and they're going to continue to do that. But it's not surprising to me. I remember a lot of asking Mookie Betts.
Speaker 7: About playing right field and going to shortstop, and he was telling me what a relief it was for him.
Speaker 4: Physically, and I was like, wooke, what are you talking about.
Speaker 7: He goes, hey, man, you try running back and forth to the outfield nine times a game and then running around in the outfield.
Speaker 4: It does take a toll.
Speaker 7: It's might sounds silly to fans because these guys are, of course, highly trained athletes. But it's more of a toll, there's no question about that. So it's not surprising that this is taking more of a toll on Harper, and they're going to have to find ways around it by dhing him certain days and also maybe by revising this plan.
Speaker 5: Science experiment for the one minute we had to tell you about why we love Quin's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt, and I'm holding a citrus salt.
Speaker 1: Just opened it.
Speaker 5: Going to pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 1: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy a free keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 5: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui Ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quints dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 8: On deck is present in by the Fox one app appreciate the partnership with Fox one. Ken you have brewers at the Dodgers Saturday on Fox, Jacob Mazerowski versus Justin Robleski.
Speaker 9: Potentially a Battle of the All Stars. What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 4: Battle of the All Stars?
Speaker 7: Battle of the skis if only aj Prazinski was in the booth being noted.
Speaker 1: But what I'm looking.
Speaker 7: Forward to, of course, is seeing the Miz. But Robleski has been a guy for the Dodgers all year long who has quietly just been excellent. So the Miz is going to command all the attention, and rightly so. He's at two hundred plus strikeouts already. It's incredible what he is doing, throwing a million miles an hour, all of that, and we're going to have him on the broadcast. Smoltz will be in the booth. Smoltz is always a great win it comes to starting pitchers. I'm interested to hear his analysis as this game goes on of Jacob Mizerowski, and interested to see as well how these two teams fare in this series. The Brewers are coming off getting swept in San Diego. Now, the Padres are red hot right now, and the Brewers kind of got in their way and that was that. And the Brewers are dealing with some injuries as well on the left side of their infield, but they've been a remarkable team all year and their manager Pat Murphy said yesterday, Hey, we've got the most wins in baseball. There's a reason for that.
Speaker 4: And even when you have.
Speaker 7: The most wins in baseball, doesn't mean that struggles are impossible. Doesn't mean that they're not going to happen. And we've seen this and again it goes back to the long season. Long season stuff happens. So the Brewers will be looking to bounce back against the Dodgers. The Dodgers just got their gift playing three against the Kansas City Royals and sweeping them.
Speaker 4: To end their one and eight slide.
Speaker 7: So it's two teams kind of trying to get back into gear. But remember the calendar says it's only mid August.
Speaker 9: Yeah, August twelfth.
Speaker 8: Pat Mnfree was saying it, as you mentioned, Ken, you're still going to go through tough times like this. MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox one to October. It starts now and we have your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every camp miss matchup as team's battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox one at home or on the go live or on demand. Never miss a moment. Stream Now start your Fox one three day free trial today at foxwe dot com. All right, we're making our way right in to Grill and Ken your opportunity, of course, to ask Ken Rosenthal some questions. Let's talk about the Cubs and the Cardinals, and then of course White Sox, Mariners and d Backs up next. But let's talk the first question Ken, in terms of Mike g fifteen has just got here.
Speaker 9: L Oh, yeah, what did I miss? Are we talking about how the Cubs are on an absolute wagon?
Speaker 8: Mike wants to know, Ken, what do you make of these Cubs and Alexgmen.
Speaker 9: In his three home runs?
Speaker 7: Mike, glad you asked, because we haven't talked about the Cubs and we should be talking about the Cubs.
Speaker 4: Guess what?
Speaker 7: They are only three games behind the Brewers right now. They won I believe eight of nine. Their offense again is on fire.
Speaker 4: And I remember it.
Speaker 7: Was about a week ago, either on foul territory or fair territory, I was asked, can the Cubs catch the Brewers? And I said, Nah, probably not leave the deficit was six or six and a half at that time, and you just do the math.
Speaker 4: It's not that easy to do.
Speaker 7: But they have games left with each other, and these are teams that are going to be battling, perhaps to the end. But we'll see if the Cubs can sustain this, because remember, they've had their highs this year and they've been extreme, and they've also had some extreme lows. So I don't rule anything out in this division race. And the Brewers they've got some things going on, as I said, with injuries right now, they're a little bit dicey for them. But I loved what the Cubs did at the deadline, and maybe that is the impetus they needed to catch Milwaukee in at NL.
Speaker 8: Central Ken we haven't talked much about the Brewer or excuse me, of the Mariners.
Speaker 9: We've talked a lot about the Brewers, but of the Mariners.
Speaker 8: Lance Johnson fifty oh four would like to ask you Seattle fire Scott Service because of their lack of hitting, will they do the same to Dan Wilson? How much of a leash does he have?
Speaker 7: I don't know, and I will say to Lance Johnson five to four, that question has crossed my mind.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It's late in the season for a managerial change.
Speaker 7: But they fired their third hitting coach a couple of weeks ago, Bobby Magayanis. That didn't do the trick, and it was kind of a silly move anyway, you're firing your third hitting coach, your assistant to the assistant. You got Edgar Martinez up top. You got Kevin Sitzer right after that, and Bobby Magianis.
Speaker 4: Was after him. That didn't do it. But this team does look like it needs a kick in the rear. Now.
Speaker 7: I don't know that fire and the manager would do it, but it's a really interesting question right now where the Mariners are going with this and what happens to Dan Wilson.
Speaker 4: Maybe not right away, but at the end of the season if.
Speaker 7: They do not pick it up, and we've been waiting for them to get hot all.
Speaker 8: Year long, cal Rawley not hitting perhaps a reason for that too. Ken Marvislten wants to ask you, Ken, do you think there will be more off season activity like trades and signings before or after the CBA gets settled.
Speaker 7: If settled I would say both, and the real question will be November. And we know that the CBA expires December first, and we know in twenty twenty two, the last time the sport was in this situation, there was a flurry of activity right before the lockout started on December first. The guy I've been thinking about here is Schooble, because if you're Schooble, it probably want to sign before we have any kind of new system in place.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: The new system is not going to take effect immediately if indeed it's a cap system, and even if it's not, we might have some grandfathering in. I would think if they kept the current luxury tax plan in place then it wouldn't be like that.
Speaker 4: But either way, it.
Speaker 7: Might behoove Scooble to act sooner rather than later. And his agent, Scott Bores, is not one who always moves quickly, but in certain periods does so that's the one to watch. I would say there has a chance a good chance of happening, perhaps before December first.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would like if I'm Schooble, to lock down that big contract as soon as possible, certainly before a lockout. Along the same lines of a lockout, Ken armand our friend is amazing wants to know, with the recent sale of the Lakers obviously twelve billion dollars, which is bananas and MLB owners seeing that price and drooling over it, what percentage would you put the entire twenty twenty seven season as locked out? And is there a correlation in your mind?
Speaker 7: Certainly MLB owners have looked at the NBA and NFL valuations of the franchises and been jealous.
Speaker 4: For lack of a credit's round and envious of that situation.
Speaker 7: Now, the Yankees just were valued at ten over ten billion, So I don't know that it's as dire as circumstance as you would think. But certainly MLB owners are quite worried about their franchise valuations.
Speaker 4: That's why they want a salary cap.
Speaker 7: That's the number one reason they can talk about competitive balance all they want. Now, do I think the twenty twenty seven season will be entirely missed?
Speaker 4: I do not think that.
Speaker 7: I think that would be the height repeat the height of stupidity at a time when the sport is experiencing a renaissance. Are the owners capable of that kind of conduct when they're intent on getting a salary cap Absolutely, they are capable of it, but at some point, cooler heads must prevail, and there are a lot of implications from television contracts to fan discontent to all kinds of things that would happen if you miss an entire season. Sport would come back, but it would take some time, and your franchise valuations might suffer a little bit in the process.
Speaker 8: I absolutely love that the height of stupidity. You my friends are absolutely right. All right, we crowned dude and dork of the Week next.
Speaker 5: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 1: Absolutely That's why Factor meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup. Don boom, I'm full, Move.
Speaker 5: On to the next task, No prep, no cleanup. Every week you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes.
Speaker 1: Let's eat real.
Speaker 5: Head to Factor Meals dot com slash foul fifty off and use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one, twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at Factor meals dot com Foul fifty off Factor Meals dot Com. See website for more details.
Speaker 9: I'm the dude, so that's what you call me, all right, Ken? I know somebody in the chat who already.
Speaker 8: Is going to agree with your pick of dude of the week, Christian A three. Why don't you tell everybody, Ken, who you're due to the week?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 4: It is Alex Bregman of the Chicago Cubs three homer game last night. His OPS is up to seven fifty eight, and we've been talking about it the entire show. It's a long.
Speaker 7: Season and it's started off for Alex Bregman not so great. You often see this when a free agent signs a big contract with a new team. It is not always easy for that player to get going right away. It's a big transition. We see it time and time again. Gregman is a guy who is as serious about it craft as any player in the major leagues. He can overthink it at times, perhaps, and I'm sure he was in his head a little bit while he was struggling in the first half, but he is back. The three homer game proved it, and he again is the dude of the week for me.
Speaker 9: Alex Bregman very studied.
Speaker 8: He is a guy that absolutely pays attentions, always trying to get better, always studies. Obviously, congrats on getting more than ten years of service time for Alex Bragman this season.
Speaker 9: My dude of the week is a couple of pitchers.
Speaker 8: I'm going to start with Dean Kramer throwing seven innings of one run, one hit ball against your longtime team Ken nine days after they traded you away. That had to feel pretty darn good for him. And I'm also going to give an honorable mention. I know you're going to roll your eyes to Blake Snell just because he came off the il hasn't pitched since May ninth.
Speaker 9: He's always a second half pitcher. He wants to take half the season off. Good for him.
Speaker 8: Six innings, three hits, one earned run, one walk. But the ten punchies can. That's why Blake Snell gets an honorable mention for me. All right time now for the dork of the Week. Ken, you and I are in agreement upon this, and I will let you go first, because this was absolutely bananas, the four.
Speaker 7: Out fiasco in Toronto involving the Red Sox and the Blue Jays. Now, initially my thought was the Red Sox players, the two guys on base who forgot the number of outs there were or didn't know the number of outs there were, Well, that's on them, but the scoreboard showed two outs. They were kind of obviously not totally aware, but it was a confusing situation for them.
Speaker 4: But they're not the dorks of the week for that alone.
Speaker 7: There was so much going on, There was so much Dorktom and John Boy in his latest video it's fifteen minutes long, he detailed it all and he shows he shows in that video that the Blue Jays could have avoided this whole matter by throwing to third base instead of first base for the fourth out of the inning or end, as well the umpire by signaling and waving the run off. Initially, that caused confusion, so everybody on the field seemed to be confused.
Speaker 4: Now, in fairness to everyone involved, I don't know how many of us knew this rule.
Speaker 7: I certainly didn't, and a lot of people fans, people in the game didn't really know it that well either, or the entire sequence that involved these rules. So I'll give it a little bit of a break to everyone involved. But you can't just blame the Red Sox, you can't just blame the Blue Jays, you can't just blame the obs.
Speaker 4: Everybody had a role in this fiasco.
Speaker 9: Ken, I'm in agreement with you.
Speaker 8: They also are my dorks of the week, a lot of dorkdom, as you put it. I was sitting there watching this unfold in real time, and I was watching it with Chris, and he was like, wait a minute, shouldn't the players know how many outs are going in the inning right now?
Speaker 9: Because he was he also.
Speaker 8: Said, you're always told the scoreboard isn't right, like, don't pay attention to the scoreboard, Like you always have to be mentally in the game, because that type of stuff happens, right, whether it was an individual that accidentally put two outs up on the scoreboard, or whether it was an automatic system or however, it went down. You can't always rely on the scoreboard, right, so it would behoove you to make sure you know what's happening in terms of being in the game. I think the only person in real time that kind of was spot on with the rule was Lumer Lone of the Nessen broadcast. He seemed to be able to break it down before the seventeen other explanations of what was happening. I certainly didn't know what was going on, but you would think that the players on the field would have a better sense of how many outs were in the game. But Ken, before we let you go, it is official. Garrett Whitlock is on the IL for Boston with that elbow inflammation, and they have recalled Greg Weissert from Triple A. So how concerned should they be in terms of Whitlock's arm issue.
Speaker 4: Anytime it's an elbow, you have to be concerned. It's as simple as that. And I don't know what this means for him.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's a short term thing, but again, elbows are a problem, all right.
Speaker 9: Ken, Great to be with you as always. That is it for us.
Speaker 8: Here on Fair with Ken Rosenthal. Foul territory is coming up next A. J. Pierzinski, Kevin Palar are your host. Brit Girleis, You're always going to be on Chandler Room, will be on Plus Rangers Reporter Sean McFarland Fair returns on Monday.
Speaker 9: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 8: Everybody looking to take your MLB action to the next level this season. Boosted Odds are here to crank up every pitch, swing and home run bet. MGM is hooking you up with your very own MLB Odds Boost token to get things started all season long. Just add any MLB bet to your bet slip, activate your Odds Boost token, and lock it in. If your bet hits, you're catching out with an even bigger payout gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred and my reset