Speaker 1: Are you leave in I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay a.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off InStyle. We want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need.
Speaker 1: With?
Speaker 4: Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: And this is Karen kil Gara.
Speaker 4: I'm still in Montana. Where are you, Karen?
Speaker 1: Chris, I'm also in Montana behind huge knife.
Speaker 4: It's so weird. You made the back of my dad's art room look like your podcast room. Oh by the way, here's your extreme painting.
Speaker 1: Karen. Enjoy the painting. I'm glad you're Christ's friend. A better friend to you, Chris.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's weekly check ins. It's the best. It's I'm gonna take a couple two. That's how I know eventually I am coming home. Is I've picked out my dad paintings. I got some stuff from my apartment. I got a little National Park looking bench with a doily to sit on, not a doily, but a woven pad, and so I do plan on coming home.
Speaker 1: Good, good, but I have extended my stay. Well, there's no pressure, and you might as well. Sorry, George, please don't.
Speaker 4: You might as well give me your advice. George, should I go home? Hi? George, Hi George. What do you think.
Speaker 1: You see? Your razor lip like that? Just get that microphone out of my face, she said, no paparazzi, please up, GEORGEORGEA get those sunglasses. Stop barking at every noise you hear. Please, that'll work. That'll do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, as long as you give a dog a healthy dose of reason.
Speaker 1: And a touch of shame, that's what we did it in the Kilgarath household.
Speaker 4: My yesterday was my stepsister's birthday, the daughter of my stepmother. That goes without saying, but sure she's had a birthday party and her cat just got surgery and came home and it was kind of sad. But at the same time, there's nothing more fun than a cat with a cone around its neck that is high as a kite, like wandering around, like looking at everyone like, whoa holding her paw in front of her own face and it was sad, but it was yeah, yeah, it was that kid at the dentist, which is what you just referenced it.
Speaker 1: What is that cat was so high? It started quoting viral videos to you. Be awesome.
Speaker 4: I could watch high cats all day. Hi cats, I love it.
Speaker 1: So you had like a family party with the cat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was fun. I am on. I'm still just I it's such a I'm seventeen and I'm on summer vacation time in my life that I'm remembering old stories. I'm regressing back to my teenage years. Sure, and what kind of stories you want to when I want to? Friends I own have a specifics ready. It seemed like I segueing into a great story bit. But we're just hanging out with my friends and remembering all these stories and laughing. I haven't laughed so much. I do feel guilty because I know the real world is happening and I haven't been as involved right as I was just sitting scared in my apartment.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's not being involved. Don't work, don't don't look for problems like that. You don't feel guilty one instance.
Speaker 4: Well if they say, if you're not talking about things, you're part of the problem. But I'm just I have to go swimming.
Speaker 1: Well you can do both. You can swim and support people. But I think, I think the relief we get from our family and the people we get to be close to because of this thing, feeling, the relief of going, oh my god, I'm so excited. Like my friend came over the other day and just hung out. We sat outside or whatever, and again, just like you said, like laugh till we cried about stupid shit. Yeah, and it's like that's only good. There's no bad, there's no downside, there's no guilt about something like that. You need we all need people, We need eye contact, we need interaction, like it's important in these hideous times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think I'm gonna I think the appreciation of it is going to stick with me for a little while at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've really been having the best time. Yeah, and good hanging out with my dad is so fun. Even last night, simple things. I was we eat so fast, all of us, when like our food's going to get taken away. Oh, I've already told you that. But we eat so fast, and I guess have sharp molars. My dad said, we have sharp molars. I'm always biting my cheeks. I'm biting the side of my cheeks. I always have had little sores from my sharp teeth, biting my cheeks. And I was watching my dad eat and he was really going for it, and then he just stops and puts his hand on his cheek, and I saw it happen, and then right then I bit my cheek and because it was like I did it on purpose, and so anyway, it was actually I bit my lip and it's very painful, and I keep biting it throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Right because it swells up and then it gets in your line of teeth and then you keep I've had that happen where you get a little nodule. It usually happens on the side of my mouth. You bite it once, then you bite it nineteen more times.
Speaker 4: And it is so painful every time. It's so much pain that after you bite it four or five times, because yeah, the nodule is there, it's there, it hurts so much that I just laugh. It makes like when pain it's really I'm like, well, that pain's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 4: Bet it many times today. But in support and supporting they do it is enunciate and I should be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. I like the idea that your dad was trying to say that you as a family have sharp molers as opposed to the rest of humanoids on this planet.
Speaker 4: I know, don't we all?
Speaker 1: I know? I mean, isn't that the meat area?
Speaker 4: I bite my cheek every other meal? Though I don't think that's normal.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I don't. I don't understand as a person who also eats fast. And my sister and I used to get yelled at all the time at dinner of like slow down whatever. But I would be like you people made us wait till seven thirty to eat dinner. So if I have to house this minute rice because I'm fucking starving, that's on you, mom.
Speaker 4: But how's it? I love it. It's getting housed.
Speaker 1: It's getting housed, bro. But I'm talking to my mom. But don't you like, first of all, it's really fun. Once you have a plate of food in front of you, you're genuinely hungry. I don't get the people that eat slow, like do they have an ulcer? How do you? How do you do it where you're like, take a bite, put your fork down.
Speaker 4: And then talk about each other's day. That is something that always gave me the creeps. How were still today? My friends would tell me they had these dinner time conversations. It was a time to talk to your parents. Yeah, and not not us, no eye contact, hunched over day, loves so surrounding the circumference of the plate. Yeah, not a word.
Speaker 1: Prison stance, Yeah yeah, get it down, talk later and talk about dessert later.
Speaker 4: There's plenty of time to talk. Plus you're not going to have food in your mouth. We have like when you're to Dennis and they're asking you questions and their fingers are in there. It's just a terrible time for me.
Speaker 1: Did I tell you that my family came down last week because they were trying to get away from the smoke in northern California? Oh wow, No, I didn't know that the smoke was so bad that they were like, can we come to La please because the air quality is so much better. I was like absolutely so. Laura and Norah and my dad came down and we had the best time. Normally, I mean, like where do we all get along in general? But the older my dad gets, the more bickering there is because he can't hear, and he's like he's just kind of naturally argumentative. So then he'll be like, where's how do I turn this DV on? And everything he's saying everything like he's starting a fight, and then you kind of are like, Dad, it's right here. It's like, calm down, you're fine. And then if he asked you, like one more question, it'll be in the same tone. So then you get I should say I get mad. So normally yes, you just like, if you want to fight, I'll fight too. That's what you taught me as your daughter. That's what I do. But this time I was just so excited to have human beings around me. It's like everything he did was charming, wonderful, and we had the best time, and my sister was this was my favorite. My sister approximated. We had my cousin Pete over for dinner one night and there was this salad my sister was gonna make like a regular salad, and then I go, there's the salad I used to order from this restaurant that closed. I described it to her. She recreated it and to the to a tea like and it was I mean.
Speaker 4: Did you describe it like a list of ingredients? How did you I'm telling.
Speaker 1: A story about my sister making salad, like it's a really good story. I just realized, Yeah, I can't believe she recreated it.
Speaker 4: I'm in did it?
Speaker 1: She did it? And it was you know what it was? The key was the salad dressing was balsamic glaze, which I thought I've never like. It was the only restaurant I'd ever had. It was like a It was just a kind of a salad with blue cheese. It had crouton, polentic croutons, fried onions and this and then this balsamic glaze. It was just a perfect delicious commedity.
Speaker 4: You put the balsamic in a pan and you do some kind of reduction.
Speaker 1: Yes, and all it is though, so I thought it was like very difficult, and I've never even I never I thought it was so hard to do that. I never even tried to look what the recipe would be. Yeah, yeah, my sister looks it up. It's balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, that's it. And you just basically melt the sugar into the balsamic and let it like thicken. And that's the entire thing. She just did it. And now I love my sister even more for making me my favorite salad.
Speaker 4: Did they go back? Are the fires not? Are there not five hundred year old redwoods burning? Because that makes me sad.
Speaker 1: They didn't. Those things didn't burn those things, but those redwoods, those things, those old things, fucking those old giants. Don't worry about those guys.
Speaker 4: But they're just still walking and talking in a fantasy type way, right.
Speaker 1: They're still throwing apples at Dorothy. And her friend is okay, good. Well. You know my cousin Stevie, who is a big nature we drove through one time the aftermath of a forest that had burned, like some huge forest fire, and I was like, this is so depressing. The planet is ending, and he goes, no, no, no, this is actually the way it works. Is it's really good for forests to burn every once in a while and then it like all the ash goes into the soil and then the trees that replace it are like bigger, stronger, whatever. Yeah, that's an approximation of his explanation, but it was like, basically, it's good for forest to burn. Every say, fifty years or something.
Speaker 4: Right, but now because of global warming, it's happening ten times as much. So I wonder, yeah, if we.
Speaker 1: Are it's ten times better.
Speaker 4: Or half as bad. Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Those trees are if they're five thousand years old, I trust that they're going to figure it out. They're going to get they're going to pick up their roots and go somewhere.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad there. I just thought the tree that you drive through, or I drove through once. I wasn't driving. I was two years old, but I was so worried that that specific tree was burning because all the smoke just came up to Montana. We don't have usually in August everything's on fire and it hasn't been that bad, but oh good. You couldn't see everyone's I was I had a sore throat. It was somewhat and then I think I have a virus. But it was smoke from California coming really you got it over there, ah way up here.
Speaker 1: It was my uh there was The smoke was so bad that they were being told not to go outside. That's why they ended up coming down. But then they went they went back, So it was like the bad air. So like the air quality, the worst it is, the higher the number goes. So in the valley it was like say fifty, and in Pedaluma when they left there it was one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And then they stayed for a week and then Nora had started school. It's the first year of eighth grade, so she was trying to log on and do all the stuff, and it was getting really harried for her. So my sister's like, she's getting stry, so we'll go back. When they went back, the air quality, the number was in the four hundreds. It was it was like three times worse than when they left.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they because they had fires. They now have fires north, south, and east of them in every direction except the fucking ocean. So it's very bad up there. But I sent her a I sent her an air pure fire for her house.
Speaker 4: Well, then that'll undo it.
Speaker 1: Now I put all those fucking fires out.
Speaker 4: Growing up in Missoula, there's there was two paper mills that used to be what the the the industry Industrila was. Yeah, it's these mills that my father has painted pictures of because they're closed and abandoned. But every morning you would check the news to see what the air quality alert was. And I had to wear masks when I was a little kid walking to school, like the really yeah, and now that those are closed, our air is much better. But I grew up breathe and chemical bad air that smelled like chlorine and glue. It was just paper two of them on each side of town. And now, yeah, paper mills.
Speaker 1: There was. There's one that's like right on the other the bridge across the river from Portland, and man, that thing smells.
Speaker 4: You cut down all the trees though, like they're too far away. Now that the business is just like, well, let's get our trees from Canada. But the wood here, my dad was saying, is better quality because you can grow a giant tree that's ready to be turned into two by fours in six years, whereas in Japan it takes twenty years or whatever for that kind of maple tree. It's kind of I don't know if it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm deciding and I haven't landed on what this whole conversation where it is on the interest meter, it's.
Speaker 4: There, wait till I start talking about the fertility of soil. Our soil. They used to say when homesteaders were coming to Montana that the soil is so fertile that you can come to Montana and grow bananas, and that was not true. But it is a testament to our soil and the fact that the trees here grew up to four times as fast Karen and I mentioned before. When they grow that fast, they are denser, they are stronger. It makes for better.
Speaker 1: Wood and people, ladies and gentlemen, Missoula, Montana. Let's hear it. Individual applause wherever you are listening to this podcast.
Speaker 4: Yes, give it a good job seeing who you are. I don't know what the income is now. Californian's coming here to hide tourism. People keep honking at me. I heard a lady Haunt. She had one of those horns installed in her truck that went a eruga. She honked and then said go back, which I had something to do with my California plates.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get you license plate holders that say fuck off, I'm from here.
Speaker 4: I was thinking of just spring putting that on my back window, like just married. I'm a Packton Panther, University of Montana class of ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's a great lesson for all of us. This reminds me it's similar to, you know, we're all very sensitive these days, we're all very ready for a fight. We're all very frustrated. Whatever side of the political spectrum we live on, everybody wants to fight with everybody. I was in a waiting room the other day because I had to go for a doctor's appointment, and I was very stressed out about it and all the like. If you know, in a waiting room, there's like three chairs right next to each other, right in a row. They've come and taped off the middle chair, so you can't sit directly next to people, but you could sit three within three feet of somebody. And so this lady came and sat down right next to me. I got all upset, and I was about to because there was chairs, you know, ten feet away that she just sat in, but they were slightly around the corner. And what I didn't see is there was already a lady at that pod. So I was getting ready to be like, so you're just gonna sit here like I wanted to do it, and thank God, somebody came out and got the other lady, and then I was like, oh, thank God, I didn't. But but we're all so ready to be like you're the one that wants to do it wrong and that's wrong, Like it's wrong of me to want to fight like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no I am. I'm just as guilty. I'm just dis close. I decided things about that lady that said go home that maybe aren't true about her, and maybe I shouldn't have followed her to see where she lives. I just thought that she would be an old neighbor of mine and I could really make her feel bad by going it's little Chris Fairbanks. Yeah, because I thought I recognized her so that we want to hear I didn't follow her in a threatening way. Now this seems weird. I want to you did follow That's an old friend of mine. Boy, is she gonna feel guilty? That's why I and I gave up after a couple of blocks. Everyone, I'm not a weirdo.
Speaker 1: Boy is she gonna feel guilty when I pull this shotgun out of the back seat and wave it around?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't have a shotgun, but I do have a billy club and I want to wait the shit out of it.
Speaker 1: Did I tell you this story? Our friend Adrian is working at a store that's opened, but obviously there's a mask requirement, and she's not loving it, of course, because there's lots of bad behavior, and there was a lady who came in and needed I think a lot of these people are lonely, and I'm not trying to be mean. I think it's the truth. I think like people that go out into the world and start trying to start a fight about masks, I think are desperate for human engagement and it's like the only way they know how to kind of do it, where to get everyone to turn their head. So apparently this lady walked into their store and started going like, oh, the mask requirement. Oh sorry, I guess there's been so many debts have you guys had a death in this store, and the person I knew, Adrian that worked there, was about to be like, get the fucking you know what I mean, like she's instead the lady that she was working with turned around and go, well, my brother died last month of COVID and then it was just fucking dead silent.
Speaker 4: And the lady loved where.
Speaker 1: It's like whatever thing your head is being filled with about how this isn't happening, or it's not real or whatever you're trying to make yourself feel better about. You should check it before you start throwing it in people's faces, because people are dying. People are dying.
Speaker 4: Did you see there's a video? And I re posted it on Instagram everybody, but it probably is gone now.
Speaker 1: But there's the underlying Fairbanks.
Speaker 4: A guy that was waiting outside to make fun of and try and do a video about this guy that is like, this guy never showers. I'm going to say, hey, man, why don't you take care of yourself? Why are you always smelly? And the guy was like, oh, really, did you have a bath this morning? Well, I don't have a place to bathe. I would love to shower every day, but I'm probably going to be wearing these clothes tomorrow and the next day and the next day because I don't have a choice. Next question, and the guy was like, oh, oh no, no, no, no, you're good, You're good. Yeah, I'm good, And he want this this homeless guy just shut him down in a way because maybe they're sort of but it was it supposed to be like.
Speaker 1: A prank or like.
Speaker 4: Some kind of I think this guy was like, yeah, he was being a dick, of course, but yeah, the guy just casually said I would love to shower, but I just can't. And this guy felt awful. He felt awful, and you could hear his voice. His breath just deflated from him, and he's like, oh wow. So it was the same thing as like, yeah, that lady in the store.
Speaker 1: It's just he got You kind of live in this little world and you think that your world is the world, and then you when you go and test that out, you get a big slap across the face of like tragic reality. Just be tiny bit smarter where you don't mean it's not your job to police other people. It's your job to fucking police yourself self. Dit shit, they're not listening. I'm sorry. They are our own dedicated listeners.
Speaker 4: We everyone right now is thinking of an example and learning.
Speaker 1: I just want to learn and judge, Why can't I teach you how to do stuff and while continuing to do it myself? That's what I'd like.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great way to learn.
Speaker 1: Should we uh take some questions?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, let's do that forgot? Do you want that to look forward to?
Speaker 1: Do you have more stuff? To table, because we can also talk about we could go back to my sister's salad if you want to do that.
Speaker 4: I was, I was gonna. Do you mind if I haphazardly explain a video that wasn't even that interesting to watch in the first place, I can draw it out longer. I can draw it out longer. I can can admit story and make make stuff up that wasn't even in the video, which I'm known to do.
Speaker 1: That's what I like to do.
Speaker 4: Now, let's answer questions well. Continuing on that, Hello skate Summer, Hello Steven. Hello, I'm back.
Speaker 3: I'm not in the camper anymore, and I'm very sad.
Speaker 1: Stephen's been recording podcasts for the Exactly Right podcast Network. If you haven't listened to all of our podcasts, please go ahead to go over to exactly right dot net, exactly exactly right media dot com. Thank you, Steven. Take a look at our wild and wide array of wonderful podcasts. But Stephen is our engineer, and he is not. If it's not Steven, it's nobody. And so he went to see some family and get out of town and basically engineered podcasts from the road from an airstream trailer, just like Lucille ball over on a cliff.
Speaker 4: I couldn't treat that episode of I Love Lucy where she's engineering a podcast. Yeah, where she's online in a in a street, in a trailer. Yeah. It was weird when she became a sound engineer.
Speaker 1: I know, but I liked it because, like she had a career you're talking about. Okay, Stephen, we're glad you're back.
Speaker 3: No, I'm glad to be back.
Speaker 4: Save us.
Speaker 3: We're being boring, all right. This is this is a good one to start with. This is from Dorcas Melorcas on Twitter. Nice ties into summer. What is the most regrettable summer fashion choice from the past?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, I.
Speaker 1: Can go into this quickly. Yes, for me, there was a I would say senior year of high school. I started wearing shorts all the time. Uh, sometimes with tights and sometimes just you know, for fun. But I had a pair. I can still feel them sometimes at night, of wool plaid shorts. It's it's I was wearing their shorts when I went to the Mister Bunkle Show.
Speaker 4: Oh you remember looking down trying to avert Mike Patten's eye contact, just to look at your own choice.
Speaker 1: I was nervously rubbing my my thighs together with this most abrasive wool plaid shorts of all time making and get noises going, why is he looking at me? Of all people? But I would wear those with you know, really thick, tall, like scrunchy socks and then like black pat and leather Oxford's and it just like there's no way it looked good and it felt terrible. It felt it was like it was like a little bit torturous, and it was summer, so it was like nothing about any of it worked.
Speaker 4: Your one piece, what is it a jumper? Or you were going to show a picture of it. People were very you gotta.
Speaker 1: Find that shit. I forgot I have that picture.
Speaker 4: I can't find a picture of the plaid Mike Patten shorts. You gotta find that.
Speaker 1: Hopefully those are long gone a barriage, although my friend Patty Riley might have a picture, because she seems to have pictures of this era of our lives, which is you know, late high school. But the other one was, yeah, it was a romper. So it was shorts that looked like a skirt connected to the shirt, and then it was all kind of flouncy and it was white and lavender stripes, and it was just a terrible, terrible choice.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm remembering the summer I lived with seven friends in one house. I found my friend Andrew, who I just hung out with for the first time in years. He's so fun. But his mom, for some reason, he had his mom's old ski clothes. And there was this one piece overall kind of a jumper. There was a belt in the middle with one of those one of those buckles where you just run the belt back through it and tighten it on itself. And it was kelly green and I wore it repeatedly, and I do have pictures of that in the summer. Roll forward those in the summer, and it was made for skiing in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we had those for like that. You could rent them from big big five rents.
Speaker 4: Yeah. These I doubt they were even waterproof. They're polyester skiwaar. Yeah, stretchy and yes, comfortable, which is why I wore them. But too warm and maybe I shouldn't slept them in them. There was some drinking anyway. The point is I have a picture of you're wearing them while drinking, and also I did a lot of I think the style of skateboarding was to wear one T shirt and then have the other T shirt just tucked into your shorts and you like an ass flap. I don't know why. It was just to have motion streamers. I think Christian hosts always started this thing where it shows your mot like like dance routines. They have the streamers and it just it was kind of like that. It made skateboarding look more like dance. But I didn't have skate brands. I just had Gotcha and catch It. So I had the wrong brand of shirts hanging out and so I might be able to find one of those pictures too.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I remember the well tying a plaid flannel shirt around your waist in the nineties, you know the grunge. Oh, the grunge fashion era did not serve me in any way because I already I didn't have the the It was great for people who are skinny. Then you could wear a shirt, a thermal shirt, a flannel shirt, and you could tie a thing on a whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah layer me no reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're all layered up in case you go try to go cut down a big tree. With a partner, saw a partner, but if you're just a girl trying to hang out, it looked terrible. And my mother would constantly be like, please take that off. I don't know what you're doing, and she would be really upset. I'm like, Mom, I get to do what I want. Well, when I look at pictures now of that period of time, I was like, she was so right. She'd be like, you look like a hobo. What if the Dennis sees you when you know, like if I was going out to do something, she'd be like, on the verge of tears. And I was always like, you're a lunatic. And now I look at those pictures. She was objectively correct. It was a terrible era.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was. I want to say, and I'm not bragging, but I did have decent I looked. I didn't engage in a lot of style. A lot of my friends wore a white turtleneck underneath their favorite T shirt to school. Yet it provided a little warmth. But you're blatantly you're also wearing a T shirt that doesn't serve any purpose other than like, look I got this Swatch T shirt or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, body gloves.
Speaker 4: I will never wear a turtleneck. I will never wear long sleeves under a t shirt. And I have to say I was at the forefront because I refuse to do that and a lot of my friends. You think I'd succumb to it in sixth grade, but I refused to wear a turtle.
Speaker 1: You know. A lot of fashion is refusal. A lot of fashion is saying no, I won't do that vision, but I can't.
Speaker 4: And ignoring layers. Yeah, even during a time where other people are layering. Yes, sorry, any better, Eddie Brown b neck. I don't need to deal with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, next cut, next question? Even know what we were doing there?
Speaker 4: Hillary? Have I told you about my sister's salad? What if I had? Okay?
Speaker 3: Oh here from Hillary LACROWX. Did you have a tree house growing up?
Speaker 4: Good question? No, and I always wanted one, you know, but what But but I did climb a lot of trees and just kind of would wedge my legs straight between branches and pretended I was sitting on a series of two by fours. Sure, And I sat in a tree at my friend that just bought a house he moved here, uh and his kids. It came with a treehouse in the back. I immediately climbed up that I'm regressing to childhood so much that the minute I was supposed to say hi to his wife and the kids, and I just ran to the treehouse and flattened up it because I am turning to a child again.
Speaker 1: But I think it's healthy.
Speaker 4: Did you have a treehouse?
Speaker 1: We didn't, Well, but we did. I just told this story my favorite murder. But it was like when I remembered it, it was like having a recovered memory because I lived so we lived out in the country, and so there used to be a bunch of chicken farms all throughout you know where I grew up, So there were lots of free standing. It's like shit you'd see now if you were at like a an art an art fair and wine country, there'd be like an area where they'd have just a bunch of paintings of buildings, barns that are kind of like slowly falling apart. That was That's where I grew up. So there was tons and tons of like poultry, big huge chicken coops that nobody used and they were just falling apart in a field. Yeah. Well, we at my first house a week up in the field. Next to it, there were two very small chicken coops next to each other, literally like I would say, they were like six feet high and fifteen feet long. So they, my sister and I each got our own playhouse. So one it was like we lived next door to each other in these playhouses, and they were very big to us because we were like five and six. And then one day we're out there playing and it was like, what we decided, this is the house we live in. That's the school house. We were doing all this stuff. So we're in the house, pretending, pretending, pretending, and there's a knock on the door and my sister opens it and it's my dad and he's got the back seat of the volkswagen and he's redoing on his shoulder and he goes, delivery man, your couch is here, and he comes playing along with what we're playing and delivers us a couch for the house.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the sweetest yep.
Speaker 1: And then there was like old we found old desks somewhere, so we put them in the other one, and that was the school house whatever we had it. So it was on the ground, but it was very much like a child's wonderland.
Speaker 4: And then when you'd get in the car to drive somewhere, you just lay it on the back floor of the car because the seat was in your playhouse.
Speaker 1: It was standing only in the back of the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how it was. In the Volkswagen Bus, I just stand there in the middle of it, and Dad had slam on the brakes and I'd fly to the front and suddenly be next to him in the gearshift.
Speaker 1: Hi Dad, Yeah, hey Dad, we should get insurance.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When I in Monterey, when I was very little, I don't remember it, but I've seen pictures. We had a little playhouse and my sister would just kind of prop me up because I did know how to sit on my own, and then i'd tip over. But I do remember, I swear I remember the spiders that were in there, just giant striders.
Speaker 1: Horrifying.
Speaker 4: When your kids, you're a kid in the seventies, you just played with spiders.
Speaker 1: I remember getting into the back seat of the ford my parents owned at the time and seeing a spider on the back seat and then just sitting on it anyway, because I was just like, look at that, sitting on it, and then be like, oh, immediately getting bit by it. And yeah, that's how I learned not to do shit like that.
Speaker 4: You knowingly sat on a spider and it bit you in the ass.
Speaker 1: I was really stupid as a child, for real. I used to I remember I distinct. One of my earliest memories is my cousin Stevie and I walking up the street to his house from our house because they were an ext door neighbor, and I leaned down to pick up a piece of popcorn that was on the side on the street to eat it, and he slapped it out of my head. Go don't eat off the street, and I was like, oh, okay, Like no one had briefed me on that before. It was hilarious.
Speaker 4: I ate a spider on a taco chip with a little bit of saltsa for twenty dollars at a party when I was like fifteen. All the other skaters were like graduated already, and I thought that they would think it was cool, and I think they did.
Speaker 1: I bet they did.
Speaker 4: I was like it was all in the delivery of like, yeah, I don't give a shit and I ate the spider, and but it was bitter. There was enough salsa that it was just and it wasn't alive.
Speaker 1: It was like that, oh that's good.
Speaker 4: But it was a big spider and I was conscious that it is in my.
Speaker 1: Mouth a dime a quarter.
Speaker 4: Hey, don't you can't. You're the one that knowingly sat on life spiders and got bit in the ass. And I'm sorry, but you deserved it. This was a dead spider on a chip. Twenty dollars, Karen, twenty dollars for nothing.
Speaker 1: Twenty dollars in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 4: Do you realize how far that went? I could support my entire family.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many turtlenecks you can buy with twenty dollars and how much.
Speaker 4: Money you save if you refuse to wear them? I was rich? Okay, I'm becoming Why did I just sound like so and so's impression of whoever? Anyway? I was rich?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right, next question, Okay, sorry, this is from Evans.
Speaker 3: Brad. How did you learn to swim growing up?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Brad Evans, I know you're from Twitter. You're very funny. If it's the broad Evans I know from Twitter. Well, we took lessons at the Leones House, which was a family in our town that I also went to school with their kids, and they had this They had a beautiful Victorian house and then in the backyard they had this big, like an Olympic sized pool in their backyard, and so the daughters, I believe it was the daughters taught kids swimming lessons, and so we learned in their in their pool. Aside from like you know, just like we used to go to a place called Morton's Warm Springs that was in glenn Allen over near Sonoma. That was the best. It was the best. And it was like out in the middle of fields and a lot of horse farms, and then suddenly you turned down the street and there was just this kind of like little resort and it was they had three sizes of pool. So there was like the baby pool, which was literally just a circle of warm water filled with pea, and then there was the medium sized pool where it was pretty pretty much like five feet across the whole way still deep in yeah, and there's yeah, there was like a two cups of pea and then.
Speaker 4: Oh, it almost made.
Speaker 1: Christophers fittake on my keyboard or onto your knee.
Speaker 4: Board about a keyboard. Then I bought a kneyboard that's how I ruined my old computer, by the way, I sneezed and the keyboard sparks flew out for me. Yeah, iz, did it have a cold? No, I just I build up a lot of saliva. Its because I have sharp molars.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, I remember. So basically we learned by you always wanted to get into that bigger pool. So if you were in the baby pool, You're like, this sucks, I gotta get over there. So we like we just I I remember always wanting just wim and having it be important to me. So yeah, so I believe the Leoni daughters talking to Star of being married to David Viny, of being married to David Duchuvney. But but then Morton's warm springs was a big piece of it, Like, you know, just getting in the pool and swimming back and forth.
Speaker 4: And I guess my parents there was never any importance to learning to swim. And I almost drowned. When I was a kid. We were canoeing and we were about to get out of the water, kind of floating sideways. My whole family in one canoe, and everyone stuck their oars against this bush because we're floating sideways into it tipped over right when we were about to get out of the river. Uh. And I immediately went under the canoe, which was upside down now, and just held on. But I was breathing in water. It was scary, and my dad thought I had disappeared, and he all to this day says it was the most horrifying. He was swimming everywhere trying to find me, and I was just under the upside on canoe. How old, oh I? I don't know, I'd have to ask him, certainly seven eight oh, okay. And I did not swim, and we had just taken off our life jackets. And I'll never forget and my sister always brings us up. When we finally got out and my dad found me, and my sister was crawling out of the water, and all she had was one flip flop and some sunscreen on the other hand, and she was like, saw that she had one flip flop and she just threw it back in the river. It was traumatic. It was like a serious I took in a lot of water and after that I was scared. I didn't really technically ever learn to swim until I bought a snorkel and my doctor was like, you need to swim because of your hip. So I didn't. Oh, I mean.
Speaker 1: I could until that recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I've surfed before, but you're wearing a wet suit that keeps you afloat. I never knew how to technically swim and breathe and go back and forth in a pool. I would always hold my breath and just swim one length of the pool and then breathe at the end. So I never learned how to swim. Shit, I'm okay at it.
Speaker 1: Now we'll get you some lessons.
Speaker 4: Hey, no, I'm telling you I teach him now. You just have a snorkel to come to my lessons. Snorkel, flip flops, nose plug, no judgment at my Yeah, and then COVID happened. Neveryone dropped out of my lessons.
Speaker 1: That just reminded me so growing up, my cousin Mike Anton Giovanni was a great swimmer and he would be in swim meets all the time and stuff. And when we were younger, so I was probably like five or so, they had a swim meet at their like I think it was their local kind of like we'll say country club, but that sounds rich, And it wasn't like that where the place where there was a pool but you had to pay, And it was this whole organized like little kid swim meet. And we walked in to go watch Mike do his thing, and the whistle was like one of my mom's favorite stories were walking over and the whistle goes off. So I just jumped in and swam along and raced along with the kids that were racing. Like the second it happened, I was like, oh shit, it's a race, and I jumped in and raced along too.
Speaker 4: That's your instinct with the whistle. But really it was a lifeguard blowing it because you guys were running or something.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it was somebody going the race is starting. But it was like it just jumped in. I just fucking was like, I'm in this race too. I can I have a chance here?
Speaker 4: Please say you were just fully clothed, but instinct took over.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to ask my sister if she remembers that maybe.
Speaker 4: Short no wool in the pool.
Speaker 1: God damn it, it clogged the filter.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I tried to learn in in uh in college, I took a swim class like a health and Human performance class, and the guy was like, you sink. I don't understand you're kicking and you just sank and you don't move. I don't know. He was stumped. He basically told me to quit swimming. And so, yeah, it wasn't until my forties that I learned to swim. I'm embarrassed, fascinating, yeah, and scared of water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that accident, would that makes sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I like that question. We learned a little something new about Chris.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to push.
Speaker 1: Him in a pool next time, you see.
Speaker 4: It's the only way I'll learned. Treat me like a little baby. I still can't watch where they just throw babies into.
Speaker 1: Pools and they naturally can swim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it still bothers me. I still think it's a form of abuse. I can't even listen to the first Nirvana album. Did you know that baby? That naked baby wants money?
Speaker 1: Now? For real?
Speaker 4: He just looks like he's just wearing a flannel and looks I like Kurt Cobain now. But it was their friend's baby, like Nirvana's friend's baby, and he's like, I want a piece of this money and the record label. I believe subpop probably is like, well, you don't get any weirdo.
Speaker 1: They're like, hey, here's the thing. We're the music industry. We don't even pay the musicians, so you're not getting a fuck all friends, and he.
Speaker 4: Got two hundred books or his parents did. Oh good, it's mad that they spent it.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 3: Right, next question, all right from oh underscore line, worst summer job you've ever had?
Speaker 4: Excuse me, I believed. I believe I've answered answered this because I that's why I talked about cutco door to door knife sales. Yeah, and I've exhausted that topic, but it is still along with the coupon book thing where grown men we would pick them up mid fist fight and I'd get in a car with these bloody rednecks. Those are the only two real summer jobs I had, because after that I started drawing pictures for people nice.
Speaker 1: I think my answer, if we did answer this before was the time that I worked at the Pedulum Affair and then afterwards was lightly accused of stealing from the It was like a family friend's stand where they sold bulk salted shelled peanuts and like candy and then one other thing, and at the end of the day and I think they paid me like two bucks or something. Fucking nuts, hardly anything. And at the end of the day, one of the friends called my mom was just like, did Karen take money? I was just like what, it was really weird.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you were stealing, like working for money, but stealing for peanuts. Yeah, I don't think. I think you're enough like me to where you would lose your shit and get mad when you're backed against the all and being accused of something.
Speaker 1: Well I was. I did because it sucked as a job, Like it was kind of like it'll be fun, you'll be at the fair. Well, it was under a tent, so it was boiling hot, and of course it's like it's basically I was working retail as like a ten year old. So it just sucked. And it was just like I'm just kind of taking handfuls of peanuts and putting in a bag or weighing them or I can barely remember, but I just do remember when that call came through and my mom was like, did you take money? And I was like no, what, Like I was like they should they should be calling and thanking me for working that shit job.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm off today because you literally are talking about a job where you're selling peanuts and I can't figure out the working for peanuts joke. But maybe it's a sign that I'm growing and I know that it's not. Puns aren't always the answer.
Speaker 1: Or maybe yeah, you're regressing back to a time in your childhood where you didn't feel the need to pun up every time someone told you a story.
Speaker 4: Right, I would usually go into a character or do something physical, fall downstairs, do that higher brow calm.
Speaker 1: How about you try to fall physically, joke, fall off the chair you're in right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, that makes no sense. I don't even know. Sorry, Okay, I actually heard my tail. I didn't. I didn't see.
Speaker 1: I think you slammed your head on the desk. That looks so.
Speaker 4: Dangerous it takes life. I didn't. I kicked it too far away and I really hit my butt on the on the foot rest of the stool. Oh and I'm not wearing my padded shorts. I kicked it too far away. But it's going away too bad.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, for those of you listening, I fell on my ass and it hurt, but Karen made me do it. You all heard it set me up. I got set up. I'm okay, now, it's fine. It didn't hurt that bad siding. It's just a minor stomach ache.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, good. You should probably lean back and just take it easy for a second and just relax because you're you're safe in your chair now and nothing's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I wish I still had my teenage bedroom in here. I lay right in that waterbed. That gave me terrible posture for life.
Speaker 1: All right, Chris took the hit on that one. Nice.
Speaker 4: I remember what we were talking about.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, was that we were ending the question right? That was the summer job question?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I never really Yeah, I never had a real summer job other than.
Speaker 3: The knives from at the Jenny. You go to a zoo, what's the first animal you check out?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you go to a zoo.
Speaker 4: I like to watch the tiger pacing around looking for an answer to life. That always cheers me up. If I go look at some monkeys that are stress shedding. I don't like zoos. I don't know about you. They've bummed me out since day one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're too small for the animal Also, I feel like, and I understand that you're just trying to get a sense of what our priorities are in terms of wild animals, but the zoo dictates the order in which you see animals, because you're not gonna be like, look away until we get to the hippopottoms, you know what I mean, Like you just have to fucking observe what's there. I will say though, hippopottom my are my favorite to look at, except they're they're always in things of water that are too small, you know what I mean, Like at least in the couple of zoos that I've seen them in which that in alone is a bummer. And then one time at the La Zoo, we were all looking at this hip and basically what looked like it looked like a cartoon hippo bottomius and a cartoon bathtub. So it was a little too big, you know what I mean. It was like it looked like it was for comedic effect. And then it's somehow fait out a way to turn all the way around, so it's ass was to the crowd lift its ass up, and then just shit what looked like bales of hay into its own water, and the whole crowd was like like bummed, like bummed out. It was the funny. I was like, these animals are so fucking past aggressive in their misery.
Speaker 4: I love it when they do that shit ump. Welcome to the shit show, asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah for real? So you want to look at something, how about you look at my asshole?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I guess.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: I've always wanted to go see penguins or sea otters because they're just kind of stoked. It's like, well, I wouldn't be traveling much more than this anyway, And you guys built me a water slide, and I have all the abaloney shells I can crack on my chest for life, like certain animals like the zoo, and that's who I want to go see. Yeah, but early on my mom was pete person, so I couldn't go to circuses or a zoo without being reminded of that they aren't enjoying it. Yeah, but no, I still want to see a bear on a unicycle out you know everything.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's just because you want to support that bear's talent.
Speaker 4: Everything every once in a while, Yeah, entertainment value and me knowing when I see talent I know talent will kind of surpass my you know, caring about its feelings.
Speaker 1: You're concerned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, must go on.
Speaker 1: No, I get it. This reminds me. I got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I get it.
Speaker 1: This reminds me of there was a great news story that happened in the mid two thousands. Now, this was a tough time for the Kilgarre family. So when I would go up to visit, it was a little stressful always because my mom was getting sick and so there were times where we were very often all together unhappy. And so then when things like this would poke through, it would be like twenty times funnier than it normally would be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, so there was this news story because there was a monkey named Banana Sam at the San Francisco Zoo that either escaped or was kidnapped out of the zoo, and so that was like this. It was kind of like the headline story on the local news for a couple days Banana Sam, Banana Sam, this, and Bananasam every time. His full name, Banana Sam, which the name alone made me laugh. And then they found Banana Sam in like Golden Gate Park. I think from I'm totally piecing this together because it was fifteen years ago, and my sister and I are like sitting there cracking up like they were they had to lure Banana Sam into a backpack or I can't. It was something, and we're just sitting there kind of like watching it and laughing and talking about the importance of Banana Sam. And finally that we changed the channel and that story was on the next news cast and my dad goes get rid of Banana Sam, all angry. It was the greatest. It was my favorite, and they talked about him like he was the fucking mayor of San Francisco. Was like this huge news story.
Speaker 4: Banana Sam T shirts.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but maybe we need some.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was an epic, epic story.
Speaker 4: Someone had a great idea for T shirts that that either say I'm a Jim Fairbanks or I'm a Jim Kilgaroff. Like you take your pick. I think that might be. I mean, that's specific, deep cut shit, but that's what this is all about. Hey, how about I'm a I'm a Banana I'm a Banana Sam.
Speaker 1: I'm a Banana Sam. Banana Sam for life with a y Okay Stephen next Ques, Wait, did you get to answer, oh yeah, that was the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah from at Shelley Underscore Novak underscore. What's the one thing you always forget when you leave the house? Good question, jelly yeah.
Speaker 4: I am going to say my and this isn't a fun or interesting answer, but it is usually nowadays a mask. I just leave and I'm like fuck again and I go get my mask. But the thing that I shouldn't my wallet. I am always leaving a wallet and showing up places and I don't have my wallet. I am it's so embarrassing to be like, oh, dinner's on me, you guys, I really don't have my wallet. Like I've done it. I've legitimately forgotten my wallet so many times because it hurts to sin on a wallet. I know. It's I'm a lot, it's harder to find like I don't have to deal with person. I'm a guy. It's like my keys are in my pocket, my Walt's in my back pocket. It's like, how do I fuck that up? But it hurts to sin on my wallet. It's bad for your hips. Those people out there with hip displays, no wallets go up front. You got to make sure you don't see it on them for hours while you're driving. So I tacked my wallet out nowadays, sorry, sorry, I hear you. Oh my god, it's banana Sam.
Speaker 1: Banana Sam is the backyard that sounded like fully work cold on once again. Okay, bears, Okay, so you're your thing is wallet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, answer is a boring answer, but I'm always forgetting my mom.
Speaker 1: But it's a truthful answer, and the truth is never boring.
Speaker 4: And it sets you free.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I was just thinking about this the other day because in my twenties and when I still drank, I was I forgot everything all the time. Ever, I was constantly locking myself out of my apartment or my apartment building. I never had a credit card or this or a whatever. I couldn't keep track of anything. And after I stopped drinking, and when I got a real job and stuff, and I just started forcing myself to be organized because my excuse was always like I'm just so disorganized and like creative or whatever.
Speaker 4: Stupid fucking excuse.
Speaker 1: And then I just got a purse. The key to this is because so I would say, if it were anything, it would be like keys or a phone. But I got a purse. With an outside pocket, and I just put the crucial items in that pocket, and I'm always able to check like glasses, phone keys, so that I'm always I'm always checking, so if anything, instead of forgetting stuff once I'm out in the world, my problem is I'm always late because it takes me fifteen minutes to leave the house. With all the kind of checking and rechecking that I do of things.
Speaker 4: I would be screwed in a purse situation because that's everything. All of a sudden, I would be losing my purse and then you're fucked in every way.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can't lose your purse.
Speaker 4: It's the only I won't even get any kind I won't even go messing your bag. I won't even go messenger.
Speaker 1: Van, I won't even try.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I've had a whole white claw.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Go Missoula. Go.
Speaker 4: The only thing I'm leaving behind is my memories.
Speaker 1: I think your hair is growing into like almost like it's growing you a new personality.
Speaker 4: It is well I put. Yesterday, I shot a little commercial with my buddy Bross. He he does has this dump truck service with three trucks and they bring DIY wood chips and stuff to people's houses. It's it's they're doing pretty well. But I thought it'd be fun to do a commercial where it's one of his competitors. So I had my hair slicked over with glasses and I look like a seventies used car salesman, just making up stuff about gravel and wood chips. And they said I was really scary during it because I had him be a guy that had spent some time in prison. But it's slick. I showered twice already and it's still it was just some axe hair stuff, but it I kind of like what it's doing now. I mean, look at that body.
Speaker 1: You should it's it's got bounce, it's got there's one that paid thousands for that kind of body.
Speaker 4: It's time to it's time to cut it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's time to grow it even longer. It's time to grow it down into a bob.
Speaker 4: I have no one to answer to professionally. I even, yeah, I even had some shows book that I felt uncertain about and I just canceled them. I really have nothing on the horizon, so why not, just why not? I'm just going to keep it.
Speaker 1: Going, you know what, I think that in you. You know, comedy can always be your safety net. But why not get into diy wood chip business? Well you can if you've got a connection.
Speaker 4: I a lot of my friends are offering. I might start at sign business and move here. I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I love doing stand up and I'm going to do it eventually, So I don't want to get too occupied. But I should be figuring something else out. There's so many things to do.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to do, and there's a lot to figure out, and there's everything is a question mark. So you don't just know that you don't have to figure anything out until twenty twenty one spring.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I get the whole year off acting like a seventeen year old. Yes, good, Yes, okay, I'm going swimming again tomorrow. Thanks all your polite. I am do it. My police is like my remote control. I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, okay, Stephen? What next? What do the people want to know next?
Speaker 3: This is my favorite question ever. Oh at Captain bird Dog, what if you woke up one day and the sky wasn't blue?
Speaker 1: Well it happens in winter, Captain bird.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's either a fire, or it's December, or you're on Mars. Goddamn it, it's really funny. That sounds like a Howard Stern radio sound effect.
Speaker 1: The dogs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it like turned on and cut off mid bark there.
Speaker 1: The thing is if if there's always, like on my street, there's always people working on houses or whatever, so like if they hear a car door open and then shut, they start barking.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, knock it off. I think it's like.
Speaker 1: I don't you don't need to warn me that people are getting in their car.
Speaker 4: It's given our podcast layers layers a sound like a flannel on a T shirt.
Speaker 1: I can't stand in the hallway. Okay, I'm back, I'm back. He just Frank stands where he's standing in the hallway barking, So then I know he's not barking in anything because he's just in the hallway.
Speaker 4: I think at this point everything is so I'm open to anything. If the sky was suddenly red, I would just be like, all right, keep them coming, keep keep this. I don't. I hate the phrase the world is ended, like even as a joke, you know, because the world is ending, but we all are open to whatever right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think everyone's everyone's been rattled to the core. Yeah, But my sister sent me this great article about if you were born in if you were born in nineteen hundred, all the stuff you lived through, and it makes this look look like nothing, because if you were born in nineteen hundred, so that means you live through like the Spanish Flu, World War One, you know, the World War two, the Korean War, and it just all the polio, like all these things. Yeah, by the time it got up to like the Cold War and nuclear threat, you know, you're in your seventies or something. I mean, it's it's an amazing kind of point of view of like, oh, yeah, we're we're all. I think that one of the problems with people these days is we all insist upon being perfectly comfortable and having our exact way all the time because everything is so like programmable to our likes and needs and there's nothing realistic about that in terms of being in the world. So if you're slightly uncomfortable a sudden, you're like I might have depression, I have one feeling, or it's like no, no, you're fine, like you're it's good to be challenged, it's good to have things. You know, this is I'm not saying. I'm not saying this isn't scary as fuck.
Speaker 4: Everyone everyone knows what you're saying right now, good because I kind of don't. Although, Karen, anyone you talk to that's like our dad's ages or you know, someone in their seventies is like, this is the scariest thing in my life time. My dad said that several times. And sure you know he fucked around with polio and ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't fuck with polio. Me myself, I don't fuck with polio.
Speaker 4: No, no, I don't know. I don't even I don't even tank her with it. And I never mess with Texas? Do you? If you everything?
Speaker 1: A bumper sticker says.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, have a nice day. She had happens Forrest gumped?
Speaker 1: Is it bad?
Speaker 4: Movie?
Speaker 1: Cut to Chris dialing one eighthit for the one thousandth time? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Iter? Hey? It's gonna take off, hey man. And so are my other inventions that I've come up with during this quarantine. One is burrito sized corn tortillas. Everyone wants them, and don't tell me they don't. They aren't soft enough and they don't fold into it that park can be figured out. Everyone wants Everyone prefers corn tortillas. No one needs flower tortillas always. And your corn tortilla people out there, Karen shut me down, but I got my cornies out there. Where are you at? You want a burrito size corn tortilla? You know it. Here's my other pitch. If I was on Shark Tank led light grills. So it's a denture you put in and then just for the infomercial, like an old lady going to read a book and then she smiles and these lights come out of her teeth like in cocoon, and then she's happy because she can read by her teeth light. Those are two. I'm going to pitch them together on Shark Tank. Okay, so while I'm making the tortillas, my teeth are lit up. Oh, very excited.
Speaker 1: The LED grills I'm a thousand percent on board with because I'm the person that I read till I go to sleep at night. But then I go to sleep with one of the side Who's gonna say, sideboard, what do you call it? Nightstand lights on? Yeah, and then you're it's very bad for you to go into r em sleep with light in the room. You're not supposed to, but I know I don't want to.
Speaker 4: It's a good point because how do they shut off? I'm glad you asked this. They are solar powered, so when you fall asleep, your mouth closes and then the light turns off.
Speaker 1: Perfect, because even if it didn't turn off, your mouth, I'd be closed and the light would be gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd be keeping you awake. Bright, it would shine through like pink, you know, when you put a flash light in your mouth and next oh yes, yeah, would still shine through.
Speaker 1: So they have to turn off, right, And do they burn you at all?
Speaker 4: No, they do not. They are They're small enough, low enough wattage to where no heat comes from them.
Speaker 1: What about flavors? Can we talk through?
Speaker 4: I'm working on grape grape led grills.
Speaker 1: Perfect. Yeah, we're done here, We're done with that. What was the question? And was that that everything to do?
Speaker 4: If the sky was changing, I'd assume that it was some kind of a chemical weapon. Next question.
Speaker 1: If I woke up and the sky wasn't blue, I would just be like, man, okay, Next question?
Speaker 3: All right? At T Canton asked, did either of you go to summer school? Any summer school stories.
Speaker 1: Fuck yes, I can you want me to do this? Chris?
Speaker 4: Will you say please please? During normal school hours.
Speaker 1: I flunked algebra freshman year of high school because the boy that I loved sat in the seat in front of me and I couldn't stop staring at his neck. And the second I like slipped behind because I already had kind of like I'm not I don't think I'm good at math, which was entirely mental. So the second I stopped paying attention and then tried to click back in, I was like it was I had no idea what was going on, just got n f. So I had to make up for that by going to summer school, and I had to, so I went to this very small Catholic high school in my town. Summer school was across town at a public school, so it was I had to carpool with a weird family or a family I just didn't know very well, which is very uncomfortable. Their car smelled weird, kind of smelling pennies, and I didn't like it, and there wasn't like you know that thing when you start you have to be around another family, and then you start you realize all families don't work like your family works right in that way, We're like, if my dad drove carpool, the radio would be on and there'd be some fun chit chat and he would be enjoyable. And that's not how this family worked, or their carpool or their dad, And it bummed me out severely only to them get out of the car and have to go to this classroom where everybody in the in the room flunked math. So it wasn't like a stellar group of teens.
Speaker 4: Myself included in that situation in my experience, because I have had summer school experience, don't isn't it then graded on a curve, so then you just have to be king of the dipshits.
Speaker 1: I think I don't remember all I remembers that once I started paying attention, I did fine, and I was like, this is fucking easy, what the hell? And but I do remember this. It was just like kind of thing where like I felt I was already scared, and so I was doing a lot of bias confirmation bias where I was just like, these are bad kids because they flunked even though I was one of them, and they're also public school kids, so they're gonna like have a bike chain that they hit me with through some weird shit. So I felt but I was just nervous. It was anxiety, you know what I mean. So then once I got used to it, it wasn't like I made I don't think I made friends or anything like that, but I actually paid attention and learned something. And then at the very end of it, so it was to say it was six weeks or eight weeks or whatever, it was, at the very end, we all passed and it was all fine, And then the teacher let us do this thing where every single person in the class we just had a contest through balled up pieces of binder paper into a garbage can and it was just like you had to make three and then if you want, yeah, you got your name put on the board and everyone just got to keep trying. It was super fun. Yeah, And that was that kind of like, oh, this is like, oh, this is how schools should work. There should be more people in the room so that you're not you don't feel like I don't know. It suddenly all made sense to me what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong.
Speaker 4: Yes, And when I I had to go back and take math, because I would leave it till the last minute because in college that it was a requirement. But every winter I still was chasing snowboarding, and so I would go to Bend, Oregon and just only snowboard during the day and then come back and try and make for it, make up for it here at home with summer school, and so I was taking math with the entire football team and so and it was the first time I realized, like, there are smart students sitting in a lab and I can go in there with my homework and basically say can you do this in front of me? And they would do And because it was someone my age or a few years older, and they were talking in simple terms and there wasn't a classroom environment, I found and I'm thinking about that a lot, because kids are being taught individually or in small groups. I found that I totally got it once one person was explaining to me, and you're not I'm not scare because I was looking at some pretty girl's neck too, And all of a sudden, you're just talking to someone you don't want to seem dumb, So all of a sudden you're figuring it out it was at the end of college trying to fulfill those last minute requirements where I realized, oh, I just needed to go ask for help or I never went to teachers. I never went to these teachers' aides, and you know, it's the way you do it. Summer School had a great experience.
Speaker 1: Great and also the film Summer School starring Mark Harmon is a wonder Carr film.
Speaker 4: At one point was the highest paid actor on because of ncis. Yes, he also was a Cores beer spokesman, a Nazi owned company that makes a banquet beer. What do we yeah, Mark Harmon man, Summer School is no good.
Speaker 1: It's not a common Mark Carmon also played professional football, I believe at one on Yeah, or college maybe college?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah he went yeah college.
Speaker 1: And so college like he was the quarterback at UCLA or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Isn't that weird though? That like, like there's a lot of like football professional quarterbacks who are also devastatingly handsome. How does that fucking work?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know, and isn't I do realize I've interviewed a couple like I'm a I'm a good looking rich skateboarder guy. And they immediately know how to grab a mic and talk into camera, Like there's a con financed comes with that, Like I know how to deal with people. I'm red. I had to learn confidence, as you know, and I still haven't quite mastered it. But there are athletes out there that just figure it out, and so yeah, they become actors or they become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just like, yeah, you want to look at me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to whether I'm running or talking, whether I'm n C or I s.
Speaker 1: Okay, Stephen, let's just the one.
Speaker 3: Last one last. I'm from at Georgia Peach. What's the weirdest thing you've eaten while driving?
Speaker 4: Does she just want us to say a Georgia Peach?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, is this is this from the Georgia Peach Board and we're supposed to answer Georgia.
Speaker 4: Peach the Georgia Film Board a subsidiary of the peach industry. I uh, I don't know. I have to think about that. Does anything spring to mind, ken.
Speaker 1: I mean, from all my years of driving up and down Highway five to go home and come back, Yeah, to put alum in La, I've definitely eaten, you know, like full meals. Yeah, while go driving ninety miles an hour.
Speaker 4: Like I know, I've eaten spaghetti, not off a plate, but I've had noodles and in Los Angeles car oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you end up eating. I'm like, I'm been starving. I worked all day. At seven o'clock I find and I'm the wolf, and I've eaten everything. Fucking sushi. It's sushi weird. I've eaten sushi driving, I bet a dozen times. I'm not talking gas station ship with my hand with chop sex yet, chop sex.
Speaker 1: Chop sex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've put the chop sacks in there, and I put my mouth with some sushi. Sorry, I've been I've eaten sushi before, but no, yes, with my fingers of course, and not with chopsticks.
Speaker 1: I think I don't know the weirdest because I've always had a real, what we'll call a penchant for fast food.
Speaker 4: Frank is dancing in the background.
Speaker 1: What you're doing, Frank? Come over here and say Hi, come here? Should let's give Frank a chance? Yeah, Frank, why what are you doing? So?
Speaker 4: I heard you saw the assailant? What what what else did you see? Good job, buddy, it's a nice dog. Good job. Buddy, Sorry about that time you ran right into a plate glass window.
Speaker 1: That was kind of sad.
Speaker 4: It was really loud.
Speaker 1: He's not smart. Wait, the story I was going to tell is that I have definitely it's not the item wasn't weird, but it just it's My sister was very strict. You were not allowed to eat in the car. She would always be like, that's like that's gross. What are you a hog or whatever. You'd always make it seem like you were a monster if you ate in the car. So then when I was by myself, I'd be like, I'm going to fucking eat in the car. It seemed like the greatest, most freeing thing to do. I definitely have done that thing though, where like you're driving and eating like a hamburger and then you break and it slips out of your hand and slides down next to your seat like that that happened where I was trying to save it when I was like, no, no, no, it's my hamburger. And then it's just you're pushing it down between the console and the seat, trying to grab it with like two fingers like scissors, like no win, you win?
Speaker 4: Because that I mean, I've had my wallet, or I guess some trail mix go down there, but never an intact sandwich burger, just.
Speaker 1: The whole thing sliding and three pieces where it's like, if I catch it quick enough, I can pull it back up or a los the.
Speaker 4: Fun and the meat slides through.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you just pull up like one onion. God damn it.
Speaker 4: And then the next time you're vacuuming your car you're like, oh, yeah, that hamburger.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's mold and ants back here. That's why perfect you.
Speaker 4: Guys, I have to go to the bathroom so bad because I right claw should.
Speaker 1: We wrap it down? That's that's a nice way to end.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's really no ending with these q and as because we want to do them forever. So if you didn't get yours in this time, we'll definitely do it again. And thanks everybody for sending theirs in. It makes us feel good that you participate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really does, and it's made me feel good just down in personal note. These these cameos that I've been doing every day now nice. Yeah, and it's I can tell just by the details people are giving me. It's the sweetest humans ever. And it's always fans of our podcast, So thank you for that. And I love doing them because it makes me feel normal. Yay, heay normalcy.
Speaker 1: And we do we really do have the best fans. Oh. We also are coming out with new merch which is very exciting. Oh yeah, I think in a couple of weeks, So in addition to the T shirt that we have, there's gonna be some new stuff. So keep your eye peel.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A puzzle, just what a teaser? A puzzle is coming.
Speaker 4: So the puzzle, for sure is happening. We can announce the puzzle.
Speaker 1: I think we should.
Speaker 4: And it is a thousand pieces. I like that. You were like, this isn't gonna be like a two fifty or five hundred bullshit, right.
Speaker 1: I mean they gave an example picture where I was like, this purely is just to show what a puzzle looks like, right, because if you're if you're making this puzzle and it literally is fifty pieces, there's gonna be a problem with me and all the puzzle things. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're an actual puzzle head.
Speaker 1: I'm a real puzzler.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have to go to the bathroom more than that. I ever had to go. But it's good to see you friend, and you too my friend here. If I ever leave Montana, it's yours.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid to ship it.
Speaker 4: Hi Stephen. Oh yeah, totally. Y'all keep your posting on my plane. No, I'm coming home. I'll be I'll be home. There's no rush in a week or two. Okay, okay, okay, I gotta pee. You've been listening? Do you need a ride? I really have to pee?
Speaker 1: D y n a p oh?
Speaker 4: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and turning on engage. We want to send you off instat.
Speaker 1: We want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared? Or was it fine? Mal porn?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need with Karen and Chriss