Speaker 1: From UFOs to ghosts and government cover ups. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to now.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the stuff they don't want you to know. Audio show.
Speaker 3: I'm Ben Bullett and I'm Matt Frederick.
Speaker 2: Matt. Today we are gonna do a little introduction to something that we often mentioned in our videos, but we don't get enough time to really explain.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, sure, we're talking about something that is large fairly old, not that old and important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So who could that be? Is that a person? Is it Wilford Brimley?
Speaker 3: I believe it is a thing. It is a thing. Make it a thing, or let's say an agency.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, an agency. What we are talking about today, ladies and gentlemen, is DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. This is no fooling, real life mad science, paid for by US taxpayers.
Speaker 3: This is the closest thing you'll ever get to the fringe division. That's real.
Speaker 2: That's a really good comparison. And this also you mentioned the history there, Matt. It's surprisingly old. It is just for me it.
Speaker 3: Well, can we get into kind of the history of it, or do you want to explain more about what it is.
Speaker 2: Let's jump right into the history.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you want to know about the history of DARPA, you have to look at an agency called ARPA, which is the same as DARPA. Just take off that defense from the front of it, the Advanced Research Projects Agency, and it's a Cold War creation, something that came out of kind of the fear of the Soviet Union's power, especially after they launched Sputnik in nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 2: At this time, the Department of Defense was very concerned that there might be a weapon gap, a technology gap in the Cold War, and there.
Speaker 3: Was there, absolutely was. They successfully launched a satellite before we did, and it was seen as a massive threat. So one of the first things that ARPA looked at was getting man into space, or at least American man into space, and also putting satellites up of our own so that we could monitor what the Soviet Union was doing up there as well as on the ground.
Speaker 2: And we have just a dovetail on that. We have some more information about that in one of our Friday videos that features the role of secret satellites during the Cold War. Right, Oh, yes, we do, and so DARPA was created with this idea or excuse me, ARPA later to become DARPA in nineteen fifty eight, was created with this idea that the United States should always endeavor to have a technological edge over friend and foe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, superiority they called it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's weird because this kind of mandate also makes it a bit different in comparison to other government agencies, like if you think of other government agencies, the EPA, the FDA, a bunch of other acronyms that end with A, they operate in a much more top down style and they're much larger than DARPA. It's weird because for all the mentions that we hear about DARPA in the world of theories and also the world of frightening technology of the future, DARPA is actually kind of small.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's fairly small. I don't have numbers on that. Do you have numbers about actual employees, well confirmed employees.
Speaker 2: See, ah, yeah, I'm glad you said that. We don't. And actually, no one in the public is going to have a number that everyone agrees on. And that's because DARPA does a lot of so contracting right, And DARPA also has some classifications that don't really lend themselves to any sort of public information. So I guess at this point we should go ahead and make it clear. DARPA started with satellites and with the Moon missions, right.
Speaker 3: Which then split off into NASA and the NRO, the National Reconnoisance Office, and then they had to focus on different things. And one of the main things they were focusing on was information technology. And that's again if we want to kind of continue with kind of the things we've been talking about lately, especially on our show. Yeah, they created the ARPINET in nineteen oh I think the contract was awarded in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 2: And ARPAET, well, that might sound kind of familiar to some people, Matt, what is arpaet.
Speaker 3: Arpinet is kind of the zygo of the internet that then I like that it then created the web, the internet in the web and all of the things that we use now online. It was just the first networking of computers. It's the first time it ever happened. A lot of people thought it couldn't happen, but thankfully the people at BBN, Bolt, Bernak, and Newman decided they could do it, they sent in a largely detailed proposal and they got the contract and then in that was in nineteen sixty nine, and then in nineteen seventy six they had the first wireless transmission. So they jumped from nineteen sixty nine to figuring out how to network computers buy a landline to just what seven years later, then they've got the first wireless transmission. And when you think about in nineteen seventy six that there was wireless communication occurring, that's hard to think about because around I don't even know exactly what time that came around. For consumers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a vast swath of the world still does not have that technology, and so that that's amazing. But it's not just the Internet. And Matt stop me if I start to sound as though I'm making an infomercial for DARPA, I certainly no problem. But these guys are into a lot of stuff. Right on another House Stuff Work show, we've covered something called the DARPA Urban Challenge, which is an annual competition to create an autonomous vehicle, you know, like the Google Car and the DARPER Urban Challenge is a multi faceted competition. There are teams from private entities. There are teams a lot of teams from universities, and they try to build the software necessary to create a car that can go through the open road and then also navigate treacherous urban environments. And they've had a lot of success. This is one of the key examples of DARPA'SMO when it works out, and DARPA's IMO is to fund other research agencies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to put out a call for a technology that doesn't necessarily exist yet and extrapolation on current technology, and then whoever can do it the best gets a contract from them through the government, and then they get to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: True story. DARPA has no publicly acknowledged laboratories or scientists of its own. They have program managers who sort of farm out this research and there's a lot of research. Oh man, I am trying so hard right now not to bring up my absolute favorite hobby horse of DARPA. Should I do it now or should it away?
Speaker 3: And well, let's get into it. I want to hear.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, the tDCS devices.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you're hung up on this.
Speaker 2: I'm hung up. I am so hung up on it. The technology is there one of DARPA's huge drives is to make a soldier of the future, right, not necessarily human, but still integrating human beings, human brains, and technological advances. So they've found this thing called or they didn't find it, but they've started using a thing called t DCS transcranial direct current simulation. Anybody who's watched our video shows knows that I am indeed hung up on this. So just a quick recap. The idea is that through low level electrical stimulation of specific parts of the brain, we can not only improve somebody's learning ability, we can also improve their memory retention and a couple of other neat mental tricks. And what's more, this change stays with you after the exposure. DARPA is using this to train snipers, to research pilot training time. It's a brave new worlds.
Speaker 3: And are you Are you trying to do some of this on your own veny research?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, I am fully on board with this. The technology is maybe dangerous, but it's relatively simple to build.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think at this point, Matt, you and I should do a CoA and say we are not telling anyone to build.
Speaker 3: It, certainly not, but if you want to know more about it, watch our Deceptive Brain series episode three. Yeah, but don't do it yourself.
Speaker 2: It don't tell people that we told you to do it. We just say that it's interesting. And that's not all DARPA's doing. Do you have any particular projects of DARPA that you're interested.
Speaker 3: I do, But I'm going to kind of take it back to the history again. Really fascinate something that really fascinated me again that we can extrapolate upon. So they came up with this thing during the Gulf War, the first invasion of Iraq by the United States Desert Fox it was a desert storm, correct, and it's called simnet And that was the first time they started using their networked computers to create an actual real world war simula of one of the battles, the Battle of seventy three Easting and it was one of the last major tank battles that has occurred in the world.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it was essentially a video game like think of Battlefield or Arma or I don't know, Command and Conquer kind of in a way. Also. And it's really interesting to me because this was the first time using this kind of technology to do this, and the Defense Secretary at the time, Dick Cheney was extremely interested in this kind of war simulation and he pushed to have a lot more of this. And it makes me think about the video games of today and whether or not they're kind of they're kind of, I mean, they are war simulators. But are we, let me ask you this, are we teaching our children, including myself in this category, to be combat warriors through all these different types of video games with the top down strategy war games, the first person shooter war games, and the tank simulators. Sure?
Speaker 2: Or how long how far are we from the first drone simulator game?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And an enders game? Right? Yeah? And the kids who are who think they're playing a game but they're actually bombing people with predator drones spoiler alert.
Speaker 2: The book's been out for a while, and that is a very good point, like at what where's the threshold? At what point does it move from being a game to being something that is clearly training? I like that question very much. I also think it's important when we go to DARPA as a subject met we run into a lot of rumors, a lot of disconcerting facts. Most definitely, if you like like us, are a little bit weirded out by some of the amazing improvements and robotics, then DARPA is your go to for a sleepless night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking about improving the human not only the brain, but good golly, some of those wow did I say, good golly? Good golly some of those Some of the the exoskeletons that are being produced, some of the innovations in nanotechnology that they're coming out.
Speaker 2: With, bionic prosthetics that actually do have the ability to relay sensations heat, cold, pain.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of interesting and quite frankly frightening things that they're coming up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is just the stuff that we know about that is publicly acknowledged. Now. DARPA is a little more open than some areas of the US government, like the ASA, for example. You can actually go to DARPA's website and see their requests for proposals and see what opportunities they have for you, your agency, or your crew of local mad scientists to get that mad science cooking with gas.
Speaker 3: Ben, I hate to do this. I'm so sorry, man. I liked where you were going there, by the way, but the lightest flashing that means we've got to get out of here. Somebody else needs to use the studio.
Speaker 2: Ah right, Okay, Well, hey what about this, Matt, What if we make this a two parter. Oh that's a great idea, because we're nowhere near done.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. We have so much more to cover.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned to hear the conclusion of our two part series on DARPA. In the meantime, let us know what you think about the United States Real Life Mad Science Department. You can drop us line on Facebook, right, Matt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're conspiracy Stuff. You can also find us on Twitter We're at conspiracy Stuff, or you can send us an email. We are conspiracy at Discovery dot com.
Speaker 1: From more on this topic and other unexplained phenomenon, visit test tube dot com slash conspiracy stuff. You can also get in touch on Twitter at the handle at conspiracy Stuff.