Speaker 1: In uptown New York City. Underdogs created a sound that changed music.
Speaker 2: Forever, and we called it Ziska.
Speaker 1: And one label captured that sound like no other, Bonnie Records. I'm Mosy Peres and this is our thing, The Birth of Salsa in Nueva York, an original podcast from Poturo Studios. Listen now wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Dear listener, there is a mention of suicide in this upcoming interview, so take care while listening. You might remember two thousand and eight for our historic presidential.
Speaker 3: Election yes week, yes wee kay.
Speaker 2: But there was another race that I was also paying attention to, and it wasn't for a politician. This is a American Idol.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about this singing competition reality show American Idol. My daughter and I watched every week. It was season seven, and we were rooting for a certain contestant.
Speaker 4: What you go saying now, I'm going to sing waiting on the World to Change by John Mayer.
Speaker 5: Go for it me. My friends were all miss Unstead.
Speaker 2: Seventeen year old David Archuleta. David instantly became a fan favorite and rose to the top throughout the competition. Gaining millions of votes, including yes, mine and my daughters. And one thing that made us root louder for David was that he had Latino Honduran roots. David made it to the finale for American Idol.
Speaker 3: The winner by twelve million votes of American Idol two thousand and eight is.
Speaker 5: David Cook.
Speaker 2: But another David won, David Archulette, that went on to build a successful music career.
Speaker 4: When the TV show happened, my family felt like we had to look good for camera and show that we were happy Mormon family.
Speaker 2: But behind the scenes, David was dealing with a whole lot of stress. His parents were having marital issues, and he had the pressure to be this model member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.
Speaker 4: I always felt this guilt and shame because I felt like I was had to keep something from everybody that made me not as good as what people thought of me.
Speaker 5: Oh, they think I'm a good, sweet kid, and they don't know this secret that I have.
Speaker 2: David was grappling with his sexuality in front of millions of people watching on national television.
Speaker 4: I'm supposed to be doing everything right because I have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life, and I have to show how happy and blessed it makes me.
Speaker 2: But instead, David felt cursed. Intimate same sex relations are considered a sin in the Mormon Church.
Speaker 4: And so I thought, I've got this demon in me that's trying to get me to go that direction, and I don't know what else I need to do to stop it. While I was also kind of terrified because I felt like if people found this out about me, they would know how dirty I was.
Speaker 2: Eighteen years later, David writes about this in his new memoir Devout, Losing My Faith to Find Myself, and a new EP by the same title.
Speaker 3: From Futuro Media.
Speaker 6: It's Latino, USA.
Speaker 3: I'm Maria Josa.
Speaker 2: Today I sit down with singer David Archuleta in a revealing conversation about growing up queer and leaving the Mormon Church. David, if you could take a moment, because there are a lot of people who don't know much about Church of Latter day Saints Mormons, can you actually talk about what church life looked like for you and your family.
Speaker 4: Growing up Mormon. It was very sweet. It's a very wholesome group of people to be around. Spend a lot of time doing gatherings like potlucks or dances, little parties. It's just very family centered with their focus. If someone was sick or someone was moving, everyone would go and help. They're very mindful of each other and if someone needed help or service, it's just what we were raised to do. Like I really loved that part of looking out for the person who may be forgotten.
Speaker 2: Thank you for describing the beauty of the Mormon church and community, which is we actually live in community. We help each other, but at the same time, there is this exclusion.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Do you have a specific memory that you can share about when you were a little kid and you realized, Oh, I think I like boys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gosh, let me see, I love any explout the book because there's a little moment on page twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: In my second grade class in Utah, there was this boy, JD.
Speaker 5: JD and I walked home together a few times.
Speaker 4: I found myself wanting to be around him more and invited him over to hang out. I felt the same butterflies for JD as I had for Brittany and Kimberly some of these other girls.
Speaker 5: I also had.
Speaker 4: Little questions on but WHOA hold up? I thought the feelings can be saying because JD was a boy, having those kinds of feelings for a boy doesn't exist, does it. I was always told boys like girls and girls like boys.
Speaker 5: Why am I feeling these feelings for JD?
Speaker 4: We're just in second grade and I started getting really scared because I was like, is there something wrong with me?
Speaker 5: You just kind of like, ah, don't pay too much attention to it.
Speaker 4: But it's like then you see JD again, and it's like you feel like all the blood rush to your cheeks and you're like, why do I like him like this? I'm thinking he's, oh, he's just my friend. But it's like I don't usually feel like this for my friends. What's going on? I'm very confused, and at the time, no one told me that that was even possible. So I was just like, Okay, I just need to hide because this is I don't want people to see that something's wrong with me.
Speaker 2: You know, you write this was so hard for me to read. At eight years old, I was living in a state of terror about being exposed. So obviously you knew this from a very young age. So let's take a moment for young people who might be listening to this, who might be queer or gay, and who might be in a very strict religion. How are you navigating your identity as a little kid when you're eight to eighteen.
Speaker 4: I didn't have the resources that I am able to have now to understand not everyone's the same and that people are different. When I was young, I thought everyone is supposed to be this way, especially like in the Mormon Church.
Speaker 5: It's like we all have to become clean and pure and obedient.
Speaker 4: And get married and have a lot of kids, create a family, and the only way to do that is to marry the opposite sex and then make children with your spouse. And so I was like, Oka, can you to do whatever I can to fit that. I got engaged several times because that's what I was told by my church leaders, like when I would open up about it, Because there were times I opened up about my Hey, I think I might be gay or I might be queer bisexual, and I'm not sure, And I just thought of it as a challenge because my church leader said, oh, you're not gay, you just struggle with same sex attraction. And there's a difference because same sex attraction. You have the feelings and you knowledge them, but you don't act on them, so there's still a chance for you to be pure and clean. But being gay means you've accepted the feelings and you allow yourself to fall in love with someone of the same sex, and that's where the sin lies. So they would say, if you get married, God will bless you and help you overcome these feelings, which is why I got engaged and almost married a few times.
Speaker 5: It was scary because I always.
Speaker 4: Thought I can't I can't allow that idea to come in my head because I'll turn gay, and that's one of the worst things I can do. I thought it was comparable to murder and pedophilia, and so I was like, I'd rather give my life than accept one of the worst crimes, you know. I said it in a prayer. God was like, in prayer, it is like, stop asking me to change you, because you've been asking for like twenty years now for me to change you, and I'm not going to because you're not supposed to change. I want you to find the beauty in life as you are, because there is beauty as you are. Even if you fall in love with a man that's okay, which I had never heard in church. I just knew it wasn't going to change who I was. And I also didn't want to live pretending, you know, like in denial, pretending that I wasn't queer.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, though, that you were spiritual enough that you could actually hear God saying I love you. I love you just the way you are. So why did you decide, Okay, I'm going to write the book.
Speaker 4: I feel like I never was able to be fully honest because of the very beliefs that I was taught. The same beliefs teaching me to be honest, we're also teaching me, well, unless you are gay or queer, and I just felt like, if we're all supposed to be equal in one I feel like there's something wrong here. And so I felt like I always had to hold this part of me back. Thus I wasn't really being able to be fully honest with my audience. I was trying to get people to follow me and listen to me and watch me and saying that I was being myself, but I always had to lock this part away. So writing the book felt like, Okay, now I can just be one hundred percent honest. I can show my life wasn't perfect. So I think it's also important though, to acknowledge that God was the one who told me no, not all the answers are here. Something you need to figure out yourself. You can't rely on someone else telling you this is the right way, this is the right choice, this is the right commandment. Because I did that with my church, I did that with my dad, I did that with my managers, always looking for someone else to tell me what was the right thing to do. And it's like, well, David, how about you take responsibility and accountability for your own choices and figure out what's really the right thing.
Speaker 2: When we come back, David Archuletta opens up about his journey of self acceptance.
Speaker 4: Life isn't over just because you messed up, and that was something I needed to learn myself.
Speaker 6: Stay with us.
Speaker 7: Yes, Hey girl, Hey, it's Karina Garcia, YouTuber entrepreneur or most famously known as the Slime Queen. What's good, y'all? It's Mayra Garcia, livestock content creator, also known as Mara Touch of Lamb. And by the way, we're two ends y'all, and we have our podcast together chins and giggles. Join us every week as we take our listeners behind the scenes into our everyday lives and catch up on the achievement. From lifestyle tips and advice to off the wall and unfiltered conversations about relationships, sex, and pop culture. No topic is off limits. You can catch us every Thursdays on our podcast platforms and Fridays on YouTube. Don't forget to subscribe it because you won't want to miss a single episode.
Speaker 2: It's Latino Usa. I'm Maria no Hosan. I'm speaking with singer songwriter David Archuletta about navigating his sexuality as a member of the Mormon Church, all while rising to fame after almost winning American Idol. Now we're going to continue my conversation with David about life after the show and his journey to embracing his authentic self. So back to the American Idol part. You know, you become this superstar. Frankly, you're in the Spotlight. Girls including my daughter, thought, oh my god, he's so cute, and you release your first big single, which is Crush This Crush. The song blows up in the music video. You're like, oh my god, I love this girl, and you're like google the eyes to the girls in the videos. But I was like, wait a second, there are all these boys in this video without their shirts on, Like okay, David is acting like the only ones he's attracted two other girls. What do you think about when you hear that song and you see that video.
Speaker 5: I just look at it as a fun moment of time in my career.
Speaker 4: You act a lot of times in music videos, so I didn't look at it as this is a representation of my life. Even the song itself, I was just like, this is a great song. I didn't look at it as my story because it wasn't. I didn't allow myself to feel that way for people because I felt like if I let myself feel those feelings, they would come out for the wrong people, for the wrong sex.
Speaker 5: I just look back, and I do see a very like in his head. Boy. Everything he did was very calculated.
Speaker 4: Everything was thought out ahead of time to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong. But yeah, I think even at the boys, like when they're taking their shirts off, I already knew like back then, I was programmed, don't look, don't think anything, and that's your job is to be a good boy, obedient boy, not thinking anything inappropriate. So I just did everything I could to pretend like the boys weren't even there.
Speaker 2: If so, you keep releasing music, but you're still very much a part of the Mormon Church. And so in twenty twelve, you go on what all Mormons do, which is to go on a mission.
Speaker 3: You go to Chile.
Speaker 2: Actually, can you explain what the importance of a mission is in general?
Speaker 3: And then a lot happens.
Speaker 4: To you as a missionary. Your purpose is to bring other people to Christ. Do you want to baptize them into the church and have more members join? And you do acts of service, you do service projects, and just like try to be nice to everybody.
Speaker 5: Really, a lot of us have good intentions.
Speaker 4: But I also felt like, looking back, I'm like, oh man, I feel a little cringe because you're really trying to force your message convince them like, hey, you have to listen to my message and join my church. And sometimes you do it in pretty intense ways, but at the time, you know, you don't look at it as imposing on other people. You're just like, my mission is to bring people to Christ and to save them, is how you look at it.
Speaker 2: It was on this mission in Chile that David had a heart to heart with a church leader and he opened up about his sexuality. He came back home, I'm in twenty fourteen after the two year mission, and that's when he came out to his family. But David kept his sexuality and identity hidden from his fans for many more years. Then in twenty twenty one, he shared his big secret.
Speaker 3: David art Letta is sharing his truth this morning about his sexuality, his faith, and where the two meet.
Speaker 2: By the next year, David left the Mormon Church. So what's your sense about in your relationship with faith, with God, with spirituality.
Speaker 4: I don't consider myself religious, but I do feel a deep.
Speaker 5: Sense of spirituality.
Speaker 4: And before it was so specific, like this is what God is, like I thought the Mormon Church had the answers.
Speaker 5: God is a man.
Speaker 4: God is married to a woman, which is why we have to get married to become like God. And I'm just like you know what I think God and spirituality. Each person experiences it uniquely in a different way. And a lot of people told me what you experienced wasn't God because he didn't answer you the way I thought he should answer you, and I'm like, you know what, then maybe I don't want to believe in the same God as you because you want God to be mad and hate me. I don't want to be a part of this. You're trying to look for a reason for God to hate me just because of who I happen to fall in love with. I believe that there's something greater that connects everybody, and that there's a source of creation of life.
Speaker 5: Is he a man? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Does he have a white beard? I don't think so. But that was what I was always taught. And I'm like, you know what, we don't have as many answers as we think we do.
Speaker 2: And after reading your book, I went to listen to the album and the album is also called Devout, and I just got to tell you. The first song I listened to was Stay, and I was like, oh my god, like, this is a suicide prevention song.
Speaker 8: Stay, Stay A promise You're not alway is gonna be this way? Stay? Stay A promise you it's gonna be alright someday.
Speaker 2: What was it like to write that song Stay?
Speaker 4: I had gotten to that point when I was out of low, when I had hit a rock bottom at my life, and so I was just thinking, if there's somebody else who may get there and feeling hopeless and feels alone and like there's nobody there who understands them, I want to write a song that helps reach them at that place. I think a lot of times, even in religion or just the way you're raised, the people a year around to tell you that you're not good enough and you'll never be enough. I wanted to let just kind of let people say, hey, like forget that that's not true. And I know that it hurts, and I know that it can feel frustrating and you can feel hopeless if you give yourself another chance to live your life just how you want instead of trying to hide and fit into someone else's What if you gave yourself a chance to live your life just as who you are and be authentically yourself and even if that's broken to just to find joy in life is what I hope people can find from it.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, Yes, Hey, we're back.
Speaker 2: I'm going to wrap up my conversation with David Archuletta about his latest music and his memoir Devout. You write this song, you perform this song, on Purpose, where in fact, you sing about dealing with shame and accepting yourself.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not perfect, but I'm not a bad person.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to learn everything, so I have a feu urings I deserve.
Speaker 2: To make mystics on passe. Can you talk a little bit about the song on Purpose?
Speaker 5: On Purpose?
Speaker 4: I feel as has been one of my theme songs for the beginning of the year and with the book, because yeah, I'm used to feeling shame. It's just it's part of how I was raised and feeling a lot of it, and so the song is telling myself, Hey, I feel so embarrassed, like how could I have done that?
Speaker 5: Like that's so messy.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, you know what, it's okay to be messy, and it's okay to fall and to make mistakes. Before I would I was trying to avoid, like, no, I can't do anything wrong, and it's like, you know what, David be messy, make mistakes like Miss Frizzle in the Magic School Bus.
Speaker 5: She would say chance mistakes.
Speaker 4: And I loved her character because she learned so much and they went on so many adventures because she didn't let fear get in the way of preventing her from living and exploring. So you discover so much about life and learn and educate yourself, and that's I feel like that's what that song is about. Life isn't over just because you messed up. And that was something I needed to learn myself. It was very therapeutic to write the song and tell myself and manifest I'll make mistakes on purpose, even we're supposed.
Speaker 2: To love that. So I watched the video of crim Brewlay.
Speaker 6: Had a taste of.
Speaker 2: That goes out speaking Leo, I.
Speaker 3: Just want to say.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn, he's a great dancer too. The video is phenomenal. Talk just a moment about crim Breulay and what are you trying to say there with crim Bulay.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much. I'm not an amazing dancer, but I do love to move. It's therapeutic to me. My mom was a dancer. She danced outside and medenge vachata and like mainly South SAP. But I feel like I get a love for moving from her and it's part of the culture to love to dance. And the song krim Breulay, it was about fluidity and just showing it doesn't have to always look straight and the same. It can be flirty, it can be sexy, but it doesn't have to be too like explicit. It can be like wholesome sexy, and it has sweetness but also some savory and spicy to it. And yeah, I love getting to sing the song and be flirtatious and be playful. It's like a new side that I never showed before.
Speaker 2: What's going on for you now? Because you are out there on the road. You're doing the book tour thing, which is pretty intense because you're having to meet people, hug them, sign books. It's really intimate and personal. Are you like, oh my god, my heart is full, I'm so excited, or are you like, well, I'm just kind of living in this moment, but I can't wait to get home. Where's your heart at right now?
Speaker 5: You're giving a lot of energy to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: You're opening your heart up in a way that you normally wouldn't where it's like you're letting people step into your world and to your vulnerable and to your fragile moments, and also just your deep thoughts, like your thoughts that you don't normally bring up unless you're with a really close friend. Opening up about life, like late at night you're talking about in a book and letting people go and pick it up and read it or listen to it on audiobook and then come into a room and ask you questions about all these deep personal things or vulnerable moments, so you feel exposed. But it's also a really beautiful place to exist and let people step into so that they can have a vulnerable moment. Altogether, I think it's really cool to be able to be a gathering place where people can open up about things that they normally don't feel like they can or don't feel.
Speaker 5: Like it's appropriate to.
Speaker 4: So you can talk about things like family trauma, abuse or sexuality and having to come to terms with your beliefs and a fear of losing your faith and not knowing what comes next.
Speaker 2: Are you happy right now?
Speaker 6: David?
Speaker 5: I am. I am happy.
Speaker 4: There's always a constant challenge of how do I keep going and am I doing enough in my life? But I think I also have to say, you know what, David, stop worrying about I have to do more and more and more and just enjoy be grateful that you're here. There was a time where you didn't think you should be here, and you're here so that it's worth celebrating. You've been living and enjoying and celebrating your life that you always thought you had to hide and be ashamed of before.
Speaker 2: David, thank you so much for joining me on Latino USA. And I'm so happy to hear that you're happy.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Maria.
Speaker 2: Plus that was singer songwriter David Archuleta. His new memoir Devout Losing My Faith to Find Myself is out along with a new EP by the same name. Also Dear listener, if you or someone you know needs help, callor text this suicide and crisis hotline.
Speaker 6: It's nine eight eight.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Renaldo Lanos Junior, who was edited by Nicole Rothwell and are managing editor Fernando et Chavari. It was mixed by Julia Caruso. Fact checking for this episode by Roxanna Aguire. Nancy Thruhiu is our production manager. Latino USA also includes Stephanie Lebau, Luis Luna Roni, Mari Marquez, Juliata Martinelli, Monica Moreles Garcia, JJ Carubin, and Adriana Rodriguez. Bennie Ramirez and I are executive producers. I'm Your Brijosa. Latino Usa is part of Iheart's Mike Udura podcast network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana. Join us again on our next episode. In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media and Dear listener, have you joined fududo Plus yet? So easy and you won't get any ads? Join foududo Plus now? O?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Joe.
Speaker 9: Latino USA is made possible in part by the Heisin Simons Foundation. Unlocking knowledge, opportunity and possibilities More at Hsfoundation dot org, Skyline Foundation, and the John D. And Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation