Speaker 1: Welcome to tech Stuff. I'm Os Voloshen. If you've been listening to this podcast, or if you spend any time on the Internet, you won't be able to miss the word in shitification. And our guest today is the man who coined it, Corey doctor Ol. He's a science fiction author, a technology activist, and a journalist. His new book is called The Reverse Centaur's Guide to Life After AI, How to Think about Artificial Intelligence before It's too late. Corey, Welcome to text Stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks as it's a pleasure to be on.
Speaker 1: For anyone who did miss it. What is in ghentification?
Speaker 2: Well, I've worked for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is an NGO, for twenty five years on the question digital rights, and getting people to engage with that question is very hard because digital rights questions are abstract and technical and relate to things that are going to happen in the future, and for very good reasons, people mostly care about concrete things happening right now. And what I have done over the years has come up with different framing devices and similes and metaphors and narratives too. I'm a science fiction novelist, but it turned out that a dirty word initification was the way to get people to engage in it, and so more specifically in sitification is this theory and description. It describes how the platforms that we rely on have turned into piles of shit, where first they are good to their end users but lock them in, and then having locked in the end users and made it difficult for them to leave, they make it worse for them to make it tempting for businesses. And then when the businesses are also locked in, they also extract everything they can from those businesses and line their own pockets and turn into a pile of shit. But the more interesting part of it is why they're doing it, And this maybe relates to the conversation we're having today, which is about the economics and political economy of monopoly, that when you let firms get too big to fail, they become too big to jail, and then that makes them too big to care, and they destroy our lives for the same reason your dog looks its balls because they can and no one makes them start.
Speaker 1: I want to get into all of that with you, but I've read the acknowledgments of your book, not just the acknowledgements. If I'm always interesting acknowledgments, and you had the same editor for this book, this new book, the Reverse Centaur's Guide, as you did for last year's in Certification book, and you kind of credit him with helping you, not just with in Certification argument, but with this argument. And I'm curious, like, where does the reverse central sit in the lineage of inertifications? What is it a development of the same argument or is it totally new argument? Because in Certification was essentially about the tech platforms of the Internet, and this is about the experience of AI.
Speaker 2: The common lineage between in Certification and my critique of AI is grounded in the dysfunctions and pathologies of firms that conquer their markets of saturate their markets. Monopolies, cartels doopolies. And one of the consequences of having monopoly is that you become ungovernable in the worst sense, not in the cool sense of like a raccoon, but in the bad sense of like Donald Trump. And you are so liberated from consequence that you can do unlimited bad things to lots of people, including people you would think would have some power in the economy, and just get away with it. And really the worst ideas of the worst people become the most profitable way of doing business. So that's like in shitification at its theoretical core. But reverse centaur is about another epiphenomenon, another thing that a consequence of monopoly, which is that if your firm that has saturated its market right Google has a ninety percent market share, then you can't grow anymore. And you know, there's this saying among leftists and crunchy granola types that endless growth is the ideology of a tumor, and that grounds it in this idea that the reason firms want to continue growing as ideological and not practical or concrete. And while there is some ideology at work there in the way that we think about our economy and in the environmental consequences of that, there are very practical, material reasons that companies want to be perceived as growing and not as mature and at the end of their growth cycle. And that is because the share price of a company that is growing is much higher based on the total economic turnover of that company than the share price of affirm with the same turnover. But that is static, and that's not irrational. A share and affirm is a claim on its future earnings. Firms that are growing have more future earnings to return to you than firms that are not growing. And the corollary of this is that when your firm stops growing, it becomes overvalued because the future earnings have contracted when you reach the top of your game and you stop growing, and that provokes these mass sell offs by investors.
Speaker 1: You mentioned, I think you mentioned that you know the Invidia cell of when the deep Seak moment happened. Obviously, Yeah, in video rebounded from that, but it raised the it raised a specter that growth may not be unlimited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the video sell off was the largest decapitalization in twenty four hours of any firm. And when your firm becomes illiquid, right when it's not, when it's not traded at this high multiple and so liquid, you can't grow by buying other firms by offering them stock. You have to give them money. And money is an exogenous substance that's produced outside the firm, and shares are things that are produced inside the firm by typing zeros and to a spreadsheet. And so it's always preferable to be able to acquire firms and talent using shares. This endogenous substance you can produce on demand, and you can only do that while you're growing. So this is another kind of growth paradox, right, which is that it's easy to keep growing when you're growing because you can buy other companies, but it's hard when you stop growing to start growing again, not least because all those key employees that have been paid in shares suddenly see their net worthfall off a cliff when you when your share price declines, and they might go look for work elsewhere, which means they're not going to help you start the firm up again. They're not going to help you get a back on a growth trajectory.
Speaker 1: So that the central argument of the book is that a lot of technology companies order the practice order. The technology companies have an extraordinary incentive to persuade the white world that in a AI is inevitable, and that that kind of mythology is of the essence to protecting their value and therefore keeping their employees and their ability to keep growing by buying other companies with their stock.
Speaker 2: Yes, So what I would say is that the book is exploring why tech bubbles exist at all. And this is not the first one we've had, you know, metaverse and cryptocurrency and web three, all those other things.
Speaker 1: But they were all palpably confections, right, those those were not things that people use, whereas, like all you do is any conversation you over hear in the subway, in a restaurant, whatever, is people telling each other how they use AI. So that arguably is a big difference.
Speaker 2: So it's just so those bubbles were smaller. Why is the a bubble larger? And some of it is because AI is realer than those things. So I'm a fake computer scientist. I have an honorary doctor in computer science from the Open University, and in my capacity as a fake computer scientist, I can tell you that AI is pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: And from a user point of view, I would argue a feeling of technology magic for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, no, very impressive, although I would also say that that feeling regresses to the mean pretty quickly. Right that if there was a place where there was like some kind of weird localized gravity storm, and you took a big pile of leaves and you threw it in the air and it fell down, in a sentence, we would all go throw leaves in the air and look at the sentences they made for a while, and then we'd be like, they're just not good sentences.
Speaker 1: Going back to the Internet bubble, obviously Internet bubble crash, but then very shortly afterwards, Facebook and Google and Amazon emerged. So even if there is like a big froth cycle around some of the valuations and companies and new billionaires who are emerging, I mean, if it's a bubble like the web, it maybe a short term financial bubble that will burst, but a fundamental platform shift in terms of how we interact with technology in the world, Like do you believe that will be true of AI or didn't the AI in more similar to web three or to the metaverse?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, I think AI has some similarities to the Web bubble as compared to other bubbles of the day. So you know, a bubble that was roughly concurrent with the Web bubble was the Enron bubble, right, the energy trading bubble, and that was just accounting fraud, and when it was over there was nothing but like indictments and a language corpus because they couldn't be arked to pay a lawyer to redact their emails before they submitted them for discovery, whereas the Web left behind like a couple million humanities undergraduates who'd been inveigled to drop out and become Pearl and python in HTML jocks, and so you know, you say that what succeeded the dot com bubble was Amazon and Google and Facebook and so on, but there was an intermediate step there, and the intermediate step was Web too. It was a ton of little amazing startups that were what you got when skill practitioners were liberated from the need to indulge the foolish fantasies of their bosses who were very good at getting capital and very bad at coming up with products. So that was pretty amazing. Although we shoul it's say that the Enron bubble, the Web bubble, and the AI bubble foundationally are not about what they produce. They're about separating suckers from their money, right that like the point of a bubble is to get insiders to cash out and leave ordinary investors holding the bag. So no bubble is good, but some bubbles have productive residues. So in that sense, AI, I think is like the Web in that we're going to have a lot of GPUs at ten cents on the dollar, a lot of skilled practitioners looking for work and maybe hiring each other. And also these open source models that will continue to function whether or not there's a company that produce them, because open source software continues to exist for as long as it exists. But there's a big difference, actually two. So the first is the vibe. So if you go back and you read like Harvard Business Review articles or NBER reports on the workforce in the era of the web, what you see are all these articles about like bosses who have to be dragkicking and screaming into allowing their workers to use a technology that they see as transformative. And when you look at comparable reports today, it's full of bosses threatening to fire workers if they don't use AI. Right. This is now getting to the material way in which the web is different from AI. The unit economics of the web were very good. Every new user of the web made the web more profitable. Every new use of the web made the web more profitable, and every generation of the web was more profitable than the previous generation. That's the opposite of AI. Right, So AI companies are selling hundred dollars bills for a dollar apiece. So if you become an AI customer, they start to lose money. If you continue to be an AI customer, they lose more money. And the next generation of AI is going to be selling two one hundred dollars bills for a dollar apiece, and so it's going to be worse. And so that makes it a qualitatively and quantitatively different kind of bubble to the web bubble.
Speaker 1: So what's your role in all of this? And I think you mentioned the book or in your speech that you gave Washington that you know, as a science fiction right to people always want to ask you if your opinion on AI because I guess so many of the AI overlords talk about how science fiction governs their thoughts about what they're building. You know, you've said as well, science fiction is anti inevitableist literature, as it was a great phrase. I mean, what is what is your role in this? What do you what do you want people to understand to do differently?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the people who run a bubble, whether or not it has a productive residue, you always want to style themselves as avatars of the great forces of history and the iron laws of economics. Right, they're not imposing a technology on you. Rather, they are just doing what the circumstances demand. And if it wasn't them, it'd be someone else, although it has to be them because they're extraordinary. But but you know, this is the moment at which we are going to get AI and we're all going to use AI, and there is no future without AI, and the only II that we're going to have in the future is the AI they're making, and everybody else just shut up. And I call this a kind of species of vulgar Thatcherism, because you know Margaret Thatcher, she had this aphorism, there is no alternative, and this is the mother of all thoughts stopping cliches, because what she meant by there is no alternative is don't you dare try and think of an alternative? Right. Another way of saying there is no alternative is resistance is futile, but there is no alternative implies Also, if you're unhappy with this, don't get mad at me. Get mad at the iron laws of economics and the great forces of history, because it could be no other way, and science fiction is entirely concerned with all the other ways things could be right and in challenging the idea that everything is inevitable and nothing is contingent.
Speaker 1: So what's the alternative vision you're laying out for what the future may be? I mean, right now it looks like, you know, three trillion dollar IPOs, this year's basic exentropic open AI. You know, new trillionaires and billionaires and multimillionaires, all of whom will then have the capital. Well, the share evaluation is to quiem more companies the cash money to support politicians and packs like. What might disrupt the futures is currently emerging.
Speaker 2: So I can't predict when the bubble will pop. But firms that are making tens of billions of dollars a year and spending hundreds of billions of dollars a year and that are telling us they need to spend more hundreds of billions of dollars a year, but whenever they try to raise prices. I mean, Anthropic just tried to clean up its balance sheet a little by saying we're not selling hundred dollar bills for a dollar apiece anymore. They're going to be five dollars apiece, and all their best customers are like, I guess we can't use AI anymore because at five dollars, these hundred dollar bills are not worth it. So when they run out of peace, people who will give the money. Because listed are privately held, you can't spend more than your taking in unless you have a creditor. Right, it doesn't matter how big your IPO was, Right, you have operating expenses. I mean, I guess you could just like loan the company money from your own shares, but you know this kicks off the crunch where you flog your shares to get operating capital for the company. The supply of shares goes up, the value of the shares goes down, and you're in a death spiral. So you know, I don't know what's going to shatter this fragile system we're in. Maybe it's like Golf States say, sorry, Dario, I know you told us that we were going to make God here, but we've decided that we need to have LNG terminals because Donald Trump keeps getting the Iranians to blow ours up, and we don't think we have a future without LNG terminals, even if we are going to own eight percent of God, and then, like without the golf, you lose the the rest of the financing collapses. Who knows, right, it could be any or all of the above, but anything that can't go on forever eventually stops.
Speaker 1: I think, I think, I guess that the pushback would be to say, well, maybe right, but you know, if there's there are other companies like Google, for example, who can continue to fund their plans which are very similar to Anthropic and opening eyes into SpaceX is because of their you know, they're they're they're profitably if they're operating operating business, and that like somebody may they all Elon may be able to convince the public and public markets believing for long enough that he can bring together space and robotics and data centers and all these types of things. I mean, I guess like the proof will being the pulling is it's just unknowable, but certainly that is what is clear is that the it's a historical disconnect between the financial performance of these companies and the evaluation and and and I mean, that's that's unarguable. After the break, what if a computer program decided whether or not you deserve a job stay with us. We sort of spent quite a lot of time I think setting the stakes, the backdrop. There's two more things I want to talk about while we're together. One is people and the other is politics. But we've had too much fun to define what a reverse centaur is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that in a long history of automation, where automation is driven by workers, it tends to be about improving quality, whereas capital driven automation is tilted towards improving throughput. Not because bosses are mustache twirling villains, but because when you have an asset that's depreciating, you want to get as much use out of it as you can before it falls off balance sheet. Another aspect that's closely related in automation theory is the idea of a centaur, which is a person assisted by a machine. So that's you on a bicycle, you with a spell checker, you with an ide right, Like when I started programming, we didn't have debuggers, right, So like that makes you a centaur too, whereas a reverse centaur is a person conscripted to serve as a peripheral for a machine, and because of those dynamics of how capital views its investments, that person is usually the bottleneck in the machine's performance. Right. People generally can't work as long or as fast as a machine, and that person is now worked at the edge of their capability and to the edge of their endurance, because that's how you maximize the return on the hard asset that they are assisting. And again this is not a new idea, Like there's a reason that you know, whether you're looking at Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times or Lucille Ball in that episode where she and Ethel are putting chocolates in the chocolate box on the conveyor belt, that the motif of automation is the speed up, right, and it's it's the worker being used up by the machine. And you know, the warehouses that are most automated in America are Amazon's warehouses, and they're also the warehouses with the highest rate of significant injury. Those aren't coincidences. Those are like those are co determined, right, because if you're going to put seven figures into warehouse automation, you want to work the warehouse automation as quickly as you can. So an Amazon driver is there because even if you could get the van to drive itself in urban traffic, well, it couldn't get the parcel onto your porch or onto your mailbox or you know, into your office building, and so it needs to have a driver there, and so you work that driver at the outer limit of their ability and their endurance. And the reason people pee in the vans is because you cannot make the quota unless you operate at a speed that requires that you not have kidneys.
Speaker 1: I mean you said in the book that you get penalized for swerving even if you're avoiding Yeah, a danger. I mean that does that really true?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So Katie Wells just published a good ethnography. She's done a lot of work on Amazon drivers and on algorithmic wage discrimination and algorithmic management. She just published some ethnographies where she worked with another Amazon a former Amazon driver, to interview a bunch of current and past Amazon drivers, including one who was fired for swerving when a big rig crossed the medium because the driver had fallen asleep and was headed for a head on collision. And they were fired for making a dangerous maneuver, which is to say, swerving out of the way of a truck that would have killed them. And there's lots of petty examples too, though, right, you can get dinged on your performance if the camera thinks that your mouth has opened too much, because singing is considered distracted driving. You know, it's something of a paradox that these heavily surveilled workers who you would think those cameras might be used to vindicate them, find that those cameras are only an ever used to penalize them. Right that if you've got a million cameras on your truck, that's when you show your boss, hey, look I got I swerve because the truck was coming straight at me. But that's never in the field. In fact, you never get to talk to the person who fires you, because the way that it works with the DSPs is that they don't they're not Amazon, they're they are themselves so called independent businesses that hire you. And then the app tells your boss to fire you. And then you can tell your boss all day long, I swerve to avoid a truck, But your boss doesn't get to keep you on the payroll if Amazon says that they're not allowed to and Amazon makes that determination based on their own internal logic.
Speaker 1: Unpack this idea of Amazon telling the DSP to fire the driver, and the driver is say, why don't you review the well, you know, the video footage and the DSP saying, well, even if we could do that, it wouldn't change our decision. I mean, how is this being exactive? Because the Amazon worker ethnography stuff is haunting, but has been preceded for sure the AI error? Right, Like, what's what's being accelerated by AI? In what you're describing here?
Speaker 2: You know you've hit on one of the points that I wanted to make, which is that we can understand the problems of AI and also the potential of AI, both as being in a lineage and not being with earlier phenomena. I'm firmly the belief that AI is a normal technology and not extraordinary, neither extraordinarily evil nor extraordinarily amazing. It's just a new technology, and it has all the potential and all the problems that technologies have. The bubble is extraordinary only because of its scale. And so there has been so much well publicized conduct by firms that have made workers redundant or limited how workers worked and insisted that they work alongside of output from bots with predictably disastrous results, right like, so not like it. It's the only way you could be surprised is if you were deliberately not listening to people who are warning you why you shouldn't do it. And that is a feature of the bubble, right, That's a feature first of all of leaders themselves just being gripped by FOMO and being insecure, but also the fact that investors are quite excited by news that a firm has added AI to its operations, and so there's maybe even a rational basis for harming the firm's outputs in order to produce a narrative that's friendly to investors. And it's one of those things where we were told that if only we made top executives shareholders of the firm, they would be incentivized to do what's best for the firm. It actually turns out that what's best for the firm might involve some short term pain to the share price. But if your net worth is tied up and shares in the firm you work for, then you become as short term as the most nimble, footloose hedge fund guy who has taken a position for three weeks and is going to be out again and on the road and never look back.
Speaker 1: You also talk about sort of how the harm of technology percolates. You said you have to find people without social power and you grind down the rough edges on their bodies, which is haunting phrase, But then it goes to you in the end that metastasizes. And you've also said for AI to be valuable, it has to replace high wage workers. Talk about both of those ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're describing something I call the shitty technology adoption curve, which is basically, when you've got it, when you've got something you want to do that's terrible and hurts the people who use it. If you make me the first person who uses it, unlike a mouthy, affluent white guy who speaks English as a native language and has a giant platform, and it will be hard for you to deploy it. But if you start with people who don't have social capital, who no one listens to, and who can't say no, you can both normalize the technology but also sand down the things that people find most odious about it. And so you know, if you think about an example, here would be the way that algorithmic wage discrimination works. So the first really widespread use of algorithm wage discrimination was at uber, where they were making inferences about the economic desperation of drivers based on whether or not they signed on to take rides that were bad deals, right, whether they poorly compensated, and then the drivers who took poorly compensated rides were offered progressively lower compensation. Right, the algorithm is seeking the floor at which they'll pay. And so you know uber drivers, we call them unskilled. I don't think that's fair, but they're certainly not professionally certified workers. But Katie Wells, again the woman who's done all this work on algorithmic wage discrimination and algorithm management, has written about how nurses are now experiencing this. So you know, hospitals in the US preferentially higher nurses as contractors because that allows them to do union avoidance. And it used to be that you would hire a contract nurse through a body shop, through a staffing agency in town, and there'd be three or four or maybe one or two. And now there's just four apps, and they operate nationally, and they all advertise themselves as an uber for nursing, and at least two of them, if not all of them, before they offer a shift to a nurse, look up the nurse's credit history and they make inferences about the economic desperation about the nurse based on how much credit card debt they're carrying and whether it's delinquent, and they offer a lower wage based on that. So they extract a desperation premium from nurses before they're offered a shift. And so you can see how this starts with Uber drivers, who, if they're not unskilled at least don't require anything more than a car and a driving license to get started with Uber, and goes to nurses who are trained for several years and have to maintain professional licensure in order to do their job. And you could imagine that that's going to come for other kinds of workers too. And so, you know, if you want to know what the future looks like, I'm a science fiction writer. I don't know that I can predict it. But if you want to know what it's leading indicators are, look to the terrible things that are being done to people with less social capital as you. Because if they're profitable to do to people with less social capitalis you, They'll be even more profitable if they're done to you. And someone is going to get the idea of trying to do it now, whether or not they're successful is something that's socially determined, not inevitable, but you should imagine that it's going to happen, you know. William Gibson said, the future is here is just not evenly distributed. If you want to find out where the worst aspects of the future are pulling up very thick and on the ground, look at Amazon warehouse workers and Uber drivers and immigrants and people in ice detention and kids and so on. That's where it's all headed.
Speaker 1: And Gibson also said, as I learned from reading the introduction to a book, the street finds its own use for things. Yeah, I talk about the anti inevitable. Is this where politics comes in. I might listen to you and as recline with Tim Woo and getting into you know, some some fairly detailed policy discussions or policy solutions. But is policy and regulation the antidote to all of this?
Speaker 2: Well, the regulation sets the contours on which markets operate. I will confess that I don't think markets are the only or necessarily the best way to solve our allocation problems. But you know, the term free market, as first coined or popularized at least by David Ricardo, did not mean a market free from regulation. I meant a market free from rents, right, A meant a market where factors of production were freely traded and not owned by financiers. And so if you wanted to make something, you didn't have to go rent it. You could just acquire it on the market or buy it, or another firm would sell it to you that was doing something productive with it. So it's basically the end of landlords. That's that's what a free market was, whether that was landlords for ideas in the form of patents or landlords for property or what have you. So that's the origin of the idea of a free market. And so every market, whether it's the markets that we call heavily regulator to the markets that we call regulated, is determined by regulation, by what we allow firms to do, by what we prohibit from firms, and by the extent to which firm's conduct can be practically speaking policed. You know, it's very hard for the referee to ensure a fair game if the players are more powerful than the ref What do you do with that?
Speaker 1: I guess because like it's tempting to ground these conversations in like AI and technology and big technology, but they sort of the set of problems you describe and we're talking about are problems of how society is organized by government and what role government plays as power broken between citizens and organizations.
Speaker 2: Right, it really depends on which aspect of AI we're talking about, Like if we're talking about the question of AI and creative labor, I don't think copyright solves this. We keep expanding copyright and then we discover that in a market where all creative workers have to sell their work through a handful of firms, you know, five publishers and four studios and three labels, two companies that do the apps, and one company does the ebooks and audiobooks, it doesn't matter how many rights we have, we just bargain them away. Right. It's like giving bulliked school kids extra lunch money. It just doesn't matter how much you give them. They don't get lunch. But we do have answers to this right that, we've seen successful gambits by creative workers to resist using AI to erode their wages and working conditions. The one group of workers who did it most successfully was the screenwriters. And the big difference between the screenwriters and every other kind of worker except for other Hollywood workers is that they are allowed to do sectoral bargaining, which was outlawed in the Taft Hartley Act of nineteen forty seven. Which sectoral bargaining is when all the workers in a sector, like everyone who works at a fast food restaurant, is organized under a union, and every fast food owner is bound by the contract with those workers. So, you know, if you see creative workers kind of at a crossroads, and on one fork they can argue for more copyright, which is the thing their bosses want and no other work in America gives a shit about. And on the other fork is sectoral bargaining. I think their bosses would hate and every other worker in America would benefit from. It seems to me like that it's just you could just do basy and reasoning without knowing a single thing about the specifics of these policies. You know, broadly speaking, you're on the right side of history when you're on the same side as all the workers and the opposite side is your boss if you care about labor rights. When we're talking about data centers, I mean, I think it's not hard to imagine a regulatory regime that would make data centers better, like, we could have rules about the carbon emissions of them. We could have democratic determination about their water usage and their energy usage and the noise that they create. We could have very very strict limits or possibly a total prohibition on the use of eminent domain to expropriate farmers and other people who have large tracks of land to build data centers. I mean, all of those things are like, none of them are new, they're just like again back to AI as a normal technology. This does not require extraordinary new regulations to stop people from you know, polluting and just uptive job sites near your home in ways that make your quality of life worse, and that also sometimes results in your home being stolen from you through an eminent domain. And if we're worried about the way that local councils are being uveiled into doing this, we could also have rules about like taking bribes, which is basically how they're getting these regulatory things through. It doesn't require anything extraordinary to make that happen. In terms of the decision outcomes right where we're using AI to decide who gets parole or who gets bond in Gaza, or which people DOGE is going to fire or which people ice are going to round up or shoot in the face or send to a concentration camp in El Salvador. I mean, we can just say those things should be illegal, and we can say that if someone needs to be fired, that there should be a normal procedure for firing them, and that you should have to show evidence and so on, you have to fire them for cause, and we could honor the existing union contracts that federal workers have. Again, like, it doesn't require anything new. It just requires that we not treat AI as an extraordinary technology that when it says fire someone, we get to ignore all the rules about when you can fire someone.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess the one politician who has put forth the kind of national platform of you know, the relationship between government technology is Bernie Sanders with his AI sovereign Wealth fund, which interesting he Trump is also a fan of of, as is Simultman. So there's something something there which maybe should tasty.
Speaker 2: But I mean, look, if AI were profitable, it would be a great target for a sovereign wealth fund. I don't know why we would want the money losing this thing in the world to be in public ownership unless we thought it was a public good, in which case it might make sense. I mean, there's a sense in which schools don't make money. It would be weird if schools made money, you know, elementary schools, public schools. But I don't think that's what Bernie means. I think he means, I think these are going to throw off extraordinary amounts of profit. I just think he's wrong. I think he's mistaken. And that's getting back to being a better AI critic. I think being a better AI critic means not accepting the facially the claims that AI is very valuable and profitable or will be shortly and requiring at least ordinary evidence for such an extraordinary claim, for a way that a company that can't raise the price of its one hundred dollar bills from one dollars to five dollars without losing most of its customers will someday be profitable.
Speaker 1: You close the book with this line. The future can be ours if we never stop remembering that the most important fact about technology isn't what it does, it's who it does it for and who it does it to. What do we do with that? What should our listeners? What should they do this afternoon tomorrow? Having heard this conversation, you have to join a polity.
Speaker 2: I wish, because hell truly is other people. I wish we could all be as solive cystic as the AI bros want us to be, and we could just solve things with our individual action. We could just go like shop our way out of a monopoly and recycle our way out of the wildfires and so on. Alas that is not possible. Systemic problems require system solutions, and the way that you make systemic solutions is being part of a polity. And that would mean joining the Electronic Frontier Foundation, getting involved in local politics, getting involved with unions and your job site. And if there isn't one and you work in tech, look up Tech Solidarity and the Tech Workers Coalition. You know, that's that's how you make a difference, right as being part of a group. And I'm not saying that because I think it's easier fun to work in groups. It can be, but like it is just outrageous how hard it is to convince other people that you are right. You know, I mean, as much as I insist on it it as an Agelino, people just will not listen to me when I say when I need to get on the five. That's when everyone else should get the hell off the five. But you know the fact is that anytime you want to do something superhuman, something that exceeds the capability of one person, you need to find a way to work with someone else to do something that two or more people can do. And the only way to do that is to be part of a polity ry. Doctor.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, thank you for tech Stuff. I'm oz Veloscian. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis and Melissa Slaughter. It was executive produced by me Julian Nutter and Kate Osborne for Kaleidoscope and Katrin Norvel for iHeart Podcasts. Jack Insley mixed this episode and Kyle Murdoch wrote out theme song. Please do rate and review the show where ever you listen, and reach out to us at tech Stuff podcast at gmail dot com.