Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, we begin in the Middle East, where intense fighting continues between Israel and Hezbolah. Israel is carrying out a third day of air strikes in southern Lebanon and the northeastern Bikaw Valley. Now, for the first time, Israel says it has intercepted a Hezbola missile aimed at Tel Aviv. Bloomberg's Dan Williams has more from Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: This will certainly be viewed by Israel potentially as the red line that could draw further escalation, potentially intensified Israeli attacks in or around Beirut itself. What we know for now it was a surface to surface missile that was intercepted in Israel. But Israel has a very sophisticated early alert system which set off sirens in Tel Aviv and a city north of Tel Aviv, indicating that was the intended target.
Speaker 2: And for now bloom for ex Dan Williams reports Israel's focused on pushing Hesbala fighters away from the border, so tens of thousands of Israelis can return to their homes. Still, Israeli officials say they are prepared to move soldiers into Lebanon if they think it's necessary.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan, the geopolitical tensions around the world. They are a major theme as the meeting of world leaders resumes at the UN General Assembly in New York, and we get more from Bloomberg's David Gura.
Speaker 4: This week, some two hundred world leaders will speak at the United Nations headquarters in New York, including Ukraine's President Vladimir Lensky, the scheduled to address the UN today. Zelenski will then travel to Washington for meetings with President Biden and Vice President Harris on Thursday, and his remarks, Biden called for more cooperation among nations and acknowledged the challenges as he put it, in Ukraine and the Middle East. Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to address the UN on Friday, although he postponed his trip after the start of Israel's new military campaign against Hesbola in Lebanon. In New York, David Gura Bloomberg Radio David thanks now to the latest on the presidential race. The Trump campaign says it has been briefed on quote real and specific threats by Iran to assassinate the former president. A campaign spokesman says a representative from the Director of National Intelligence told Trump about the plot. The former president didn't mention it in his latest campaign stump speech. He's talking about cutting corporate taxes and threatening tariffs to bring foreign companies and their jobs to the US.
Speaker 5: We want American citizens, and we want their plants built here, not two feet over the border and selling them into our country.
Speaker 6: We're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Former President Trump spoke there in Savannah, Georgia yesterday. Now, there's no indication that Iran's efforts are linked to the two recent attempts on the former president's life. Ryan Ruth, the suspect in this month's incident at Trump's Florida golf course, was charged yesterday with attempted assassination of a major presidential candidate.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Nathan Trump's opponent, Kamala Harris, will be in Pittsburgh today. During his speech, she will outline her economic vision and new initiatives to bolster domestic manufacturing services. Say Harris's address will emphasize her willingness to work with business leaders to grow the overall economy while also stressing the importance of protecting workers' wages and benefits.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Karen back in Washington, House members plan to pass a stopgap funding bill today, avoiding an October first government shutdown. Bloomberg's Amy Morris has the latest from the nation's capital.
Speaker 7: Lawmakers say they'll pass the measure even if they need a two third super majority to do it, because the House skipped a procedural step in this process on Monday. The vote will require two thirds of the House to support it, and they do expect it to pass. It is bipartisan, but there's still time for complaints from hardline conservatives, and that could complicate Speaker Mike Johnson's path to a full compromise funding bill in the lame duck session. Now, with a House vote today, they're aiming for speedy Senate approval by next week, and the continuing resolution funds the government through December twentieth, so that means another spending showdown just days before Christmas. In Washington, Amy Morris Bloomberg Radio, All.
Speaker 1: Right, Amy, thanks, We'll be turned to the markets now and stalks begin a day in record territory. In fact, the S and P five hundred registered its forty first record close of the year yesterday. In company news this morning, Berkshire Hathaway owns fewer shares of Bank of America, and we get more on that from Bloomberg's Doug Prisner.
Speaker 8: Berkshire Hathaway sold an additional eight hundred and sixty three million dollars worth of BNA stock on Tuesday. It brings Berkshire stay closer to a ten percent regulatory threshold. After selling BNA shares over the three trading days through Tuesday, Berkshire now owns ten and a half percent of the second largest US bank, and as long as Berkshire remains above that ten percent threshold, it must disclosed trades within a few days. Berkshire's remaining stake in Bank of America is now worth thirty two point one billion dollars based on Tuesday's closing price, preserving its position as the largest shareholder in New York. I'm Doug Prisoner Bloomberg Radio, Doug.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Boeing has heard back from its ranking workers about its latest offer. In Bloomberg's John Tucker's following this story, John sounds like. The answer was a resounding no.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Nathan. The Machinist and Aerospace Workers Union instead of survey of members was overwhelmingly clear they're not interested, calling it inadequate and even disrespectful. The company infuriated the union by and trying to do an end run and take an offer of a thirty percent payhike directly to the workers. Well, Boeing is trying to ratchet down the tension just a little. They backed off of Friday night deadline for workers to approve a new pact. A Boeing, meantime, has a new headache. A congressional panel investigating Boeing safety culture has released an internal company survey that found many factory workers felt pressure to prioritize speed over quality, even months after that midair blowout on one of the company's jets in New York homes John Tucker, Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Radio, All right, John, thank you well. In legal news, Caroline Ellison has been sentenced to twenty four months in prison for her role in the FTX collapse, helping prosecutors in the conviction of Sam Bankman, freed her former boss and boyfriend. Bloomberg Radio law host JOm Grosso has more on the sentencing.
Speaker 11: Now, Sam bekman Free got twenty five years, so compared to that she only got two years, it seems I would consider it pretty lenient, although there was a possibility that she would get no time.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg's Judne Grosso says, like bankmin freed, Ellison was ordered to forfeit eleven billion dollars as proceeds of the crime, Karen.
Speaker 2: The US officials are investigating whether German software developer SAP, product reseller Carosoft Technology, and other companies conspired to overcharge government agencies for the course of a decade. According to federal court records, Justice Department lawyers have been looking at whether SAP illegally conspired with Kearrosoft to fix prices on sales to the US military and other parts of the government. SAP makes accounting, human resources, supply chain and other business software used around the globe. Shares are down four percent overseas.
Speaker 1: Beys time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 6: Michael, good morning, Good morning, Karen. Tropical Storm Alene strengthens as hurricane mornings cover parts of Florida and Mexico. Bloomberg mediarologist Rob Carolyn as.
Speaker 12: The latest Helene continues to strengthen in the northwestern Caribbean, and it's going to pass very close to the Yucatan this morning, and then as it works between it's the eastern Gulf of Mexico, will become a rather strong hurricane and a large hurricane. We think it's going to be making landfall somewhere in the Big Bend area of Florida Thursday as a storm with winds of over one hundred miles an hour and a very significant storm surge. Since it'll have such a large circulation, its impact that we felt over much of the Florida Pillian It's like even the Florida Panhandle, and then up into the southeastern United States where we could see quite a bit of flooding tomorrow. I'm Rob Carolyn, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 6: Rob. Thank you very much. Helen comes after tropical storm John slam Mexico's Pacific coast late Monday, leaving two pa dead. A twelfth lawsuit has been filed against Sean Diddy Combs by a woman claiming he raped her in New York decades ago. With Combs in jail in New York facing criminal charges, Dally of Graves is now suing him. She says when she was twenty five years old, she was summoned to a meeting with Combs. She alleges that he raped her after she was slammed face down on a pool table by another man.
Speaker 1: He so has had last new fix on my body, causing ongoing.
Speaker 6: Problems, Graves claims. Over twenty years later, Combs as a video he has shown other people of her assault. President Joe Biden delivered remarks on climate at the Bloomberg Global Business Forum in New York City. Biden says America is positioned to lead other countries on climate change and criticized Donald Trump on this issue.
Speaker 13: All this historic climate changes in stark contrast my predecess. He says, he'd be repealed the Inflation Reduction Act. He let our factory shut down. He moved the world backwards. His denial of climate change condemns our future generations to a more dangerous world.
Speaker 6: President Biden also says the US is making major progress in bringing back technology manufacturing from China. Finally, a black combat medic who treated two hundred troops during the invasion of Normandy during World War Two. Is being honored with the Army's second highest award. The family of Waverley Woodson Junior gathered yesterday in Washington. See Woodson's ninety five year old Woodhull received the Distinguished Service Cross. He was awarded posthumously for his heroism. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. Michael Barrn, This is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael, thank you. Time now for the Bloomberg Sportes Update with John Stanshaur.
Speaker 9: John, good morning, Good morning, Karen. The Yankees were hoping to clinch the division. The Mets we're looking to take a big step towards a playoff spot. Neither happened at the stadium. Baltimore hit three home runs it despite Aaron judge. It is fifty six of the season. Orioles won five to three. Yanks were hit by a base running blundered by Glabor Torres seventh. I think they were down a run. Torres tried to score from third and never got closed another chance to clinch Tonight, Euston clinch the Al West Astros were at one point ten games out. Mets did at Lanta, lost five to one Mark Biento's homeward, but the Mets had only three other hits. As Spencer Schelling back beat Luis seven Reno. Brandon Nemo looks ahead to game two tonight.
Speaker 14: You know, in a regular season, you know that games like this are going to happen, and sometimes there's gonna be days like this. So I think tomorrow you start fresh, and that's the thing is you try to have short term memory come into the next day. That's what we did inst Philadelphia too. We were just trying to win one game at a time, and so tomorrow we try and win. We try and go one to zero, and we bring, you know, we bring the energy and try and get things, you know, kind of rolling our way.
Speaker 9: But the Mets tonight have to face rist Sale and he is eighteen and three. Arizona lost to the Giants eleven and h So this is very much three team race ye for two NL wildcards. The metsley the Diamondbacks by a half game, the Braves by one. The Padres clinched the first NL wildcard they beat the Dodgers. The game ended with San Diego turning a triple play. The Liberty got thirty six points from sabrina I Andescu beat the Dream to advance to the WNBA semifinals. John Stansh they were Bloomberg Sports gearing.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 15: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: As intense fighting continues between Israel and Hezbollah, world leaders are urging both sides to de escalate. President Biden addressed the conflict in his final speech to the UN General Assembly.
Speaker 13: Full scale wars not in anyone's interest. Even a situation is escalated, a diplomatic solution is still possible.
Speaker 2: And despite those words from President Biden, Israeli airstrikes and Hesbola rocket attacks go on, including at least one now aimed at Israel's financial hub Tel Aviv. Bloomberg's Israel Bureau chief Ethan Brauner is there and joins us now with the latest. Ethan, good morning, What are we seeing now? I hear there are more bombardments in Lebanon this morning.
Speaker 5: That's right, Nathan. The Israel's continuing to strike pretty widely in south Lebanon and the Bikaw Valley east of Beirut, and some forty projectiles have come at Israel from Lebanon, So the continues to be a fair amount of activity on both sides.
Speaker 2: With this rocket apparently aimed at the Tel Aviv suburbs, how significant an escalation could that be, Ethan?
Speaker 5: So that's a good question.
Speaker 16: I mean, never has his Belah launched a missile surface to surface kind of missile at Tel Aviv before. It was always kind of hanging over as the thing that they could ultimately do if a real conflict broke out. And indeed, as far as we know, they have tens of thousands of long range missiles that they could send. The interestant question is why only one came and what its significance is in terms of an uptick in hostilities, And I think it's a little hard to tell.
Speaker 2: Could we see some kind of response beyond what Israel has put out there these air strikes in southern Lebanon and the eastern Becav Valley. Could this lead to something further?
Speaker 5: It could?
Speaker 16: I mean honestly, for more than a week now, Israel has been on every day stepping up its attacks in Lebanon. It began with those pagers that went off in people's hands and pockets a week ago, a little more than a week ago, and continued.
Speaker 5: With the targeted fascinations and serious bombardments. Some five hundred plus people were killed in one day as they went after a whole bunch of launchers, rocket and missile launchers. They said, sixteen hundred sites hitting one day, all of which Israel says is aimed at trying to persuade Isbela to come to the table to talk about pulling away from the border with Israel and allowing its own citizens, Israeli citizens to go back to their homes from which they were driven on October eighth, after Isbela began attacking in solidarity with Hamas and Palestinians in Gaza.
Speaker 16: So it's a complicated situation. Israel is on a kind of path of trying to pressure more and more. I don't know that it would necessarily be a response to the one missile that came in toward Tel Aviv today.
Speaker 2: I did want to ask you about the room for diplomacy. We did hear President Biden calling for a need to de escalate, but it seems like escalation is what we are seeing. Where is the room for diplomacy, particularly with the UN General Assembly and these ongoing ceasefire talks and Gaza in the backdrop.
Speaker 16: Right, So, there is a French special envoy by the name of Jean Yve Ludrillon who has spent the beginning of this week in Beirut meeting with his Blah people and is in touch with Israelis as well, and this is the goal to come up with some There's been a Franco effort for many, many months now to try to get his Bola away from the border. They're right up against the border and Israelis feel unsafe as a result. If they could go back ten kilometers, that would be what Israel would be willing to Originally it was supposed to be only twenty five kilometers, but so that's where they the discussions are underway. It's a little hard to see if there's any progress of any kind. There's some notion that it could maybe be a package deal.
Speaker 5: Involvingstage Israeli hostage is held by Hamas and Gaza and so on, but it's all pretty vague at this point.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Applecarplay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 1: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak.