Speaker 1: Hello, my friend. I'm Delilah, welcoming you to my new podcast series, Love Someone with Delilah. We've renamed the series this year. Last year we started doing really good podcast, really amazing podcast. But we decided that since I believe the most important thing in life, the most important thing in a marriage, the most important thing in being a good parent or a good member of your community, is love, the single most powerful tenant that we all should share is love. For all the years I've been here on the air, and it's been many, I've employed my listeners to love someone romantically. Sure, we talk about that a lot, but love is a hard to heart connection we're able to make with anyone and everyone at any time, in any place, not just romantic love between partners. Love is a shared smile, it's a kind deed. It's a moment of sincere listening when someone needs to unburden their soul. It's setting aside your own agenda to champion another's. It's being present and accountable, and that's that's hard to do in this day of social media, because so many people are distracted. Love is being present, it's being accountable. It's showing up. It's showing up for life's moments. It's being there when your daughter is getting ready for the prom. It's being there when your son is got a speech contest, or is in a play on stage. It's being there. It's showing up for life's moments. Thank you for allowing me to share these precious moments with you. I also got to say thank you to my podcast sponsor, the Home Depot. They do so much to help you and I when it comes to remodeling different rooms in our homes. One of the more intimidating rooms to remodel and renovate is the bathroom. The Home Depot makes that project so much simpler. It can start with the countertops and the vanity, maybe a new sink and the faucets as well. When you visit your local home Depot, you'll see the large selections of vanities they have and all the different choices. The very helpful Home Depot associates can help you match up a new vanity with the sink and the faucets that you like the most. You'll be surprised at how far you can go with their help and the sense of empowerment you'll have planning it all out. The home Depot, more Saving, more Doing. Today's guest on Love Someone with Delilah is a singer, songwriter and musician whose name may not be as familiar to you as his band. Pat Monahan is the front man for the iconic rock band Train. He's funny, he's charming, and according to him, a supermodel good looking as he is, according to me and several million fans worldwide, talented. Pat visited with Me in My Studios recently to talk about his upcoming summer tour with the Goo Goo Dolls and a talented young man named Alan Stone. The tour kicks off in Seattle on June seventh. Also had the chance to talk about his new Train album Greatest Hits, which features the phenomenal Kinney g on Careless Whisper and I was honored to hear of Pat and Train's passionate involvement. Passionate involvement. They are so committed to this. It's called Family House. It's a Bay Area retreat for families that need a place of dignity, as Pat says, to collect themselves while their children undergo serious medical treatments, many of them for childhood cancer. Whether it was music or giving a helping hand or just chatting about random things. One powerful thread was woven through every moment with Pat, and that was the thread of family. You'll fill chills when he shares how his hit single Drops of Jupiter, which I've been playing for years and never knew this story when he tells you how that song came about, and many of you, either from a child or parent's perspective, will relate on some level. When he mentions how his grown son, who's also a musician, doesn't share his work with his dad. Women, you will swoon and applaud and maybe feel a lethal beat of jealousy when Pat makes a Game of Thrones reference to his gorgeous wife and mother of his two youngest children as the Kalisi. He holds her in such honor and men, men, maybe you'll be inspired to tell your wife that she is the Kalisi in your life. Family is what binds us, whether that family is one created by a marriage and children, or relationships that we have forged in other ways. I call it my tribe because my family isn't just blood. It's people that God has woven together into a one wonderful family of eclectic eccentric incredible people. It gives us a sense of belonging and where we find ourselves giving in ways we didn't even know was possible, and receiving so much more. In return, chapter eleven of my book that came out last year, One Heart at a Time, is titled A Connected Heart, and in it I talk about my mom, my Mama Bear, my mother, Wilmadine, and how she had such a loving, giving heart. She also had really big feet, big bones, and a big, quirky, eccentric countenance. She taught me many life skills and many important lessons, but most importantly, most importantly, she taught me, through her deeds and her actions, how to love like only a mama can or a parent can. I should say I'm honored that Pat Mana and from Train found the time to share his heart and his passions with me on this edition of Love Someone.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah, thanks for having me on your first ever incarnation of.
Speaker 1: The Love Someone podcast. Yeah. And you look so good the hair and everything.
Speaker 2: You know. I feel. I feel pretty average, not at my best, but I'm gonna I'm gonna get in better shape. Coming up soon. I have a golf tournament to play in in Pebble beach. So I've just been.
Speaker 1: So that's your motivation.
Speaker 2: It's my motivation right now.
Speaker 1: You know my motivation. I don't know if you notice, but I like, you know, a little more fit than probably last time I saw you. My motivation is I'm waiting for Duayne the Rock Johnson to call me yep and say, Delilah, I need you on Titans.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't have a TV. I don't watch the show. I have watched it on my computer a couple of times. And I'm going to I'm going to wait for him to call me, and then I'm going to suggest some new exercises that he should include in his Titan competition. I'm going to ask him to introduce some courses for moms, cool obstacle courses for moms, Like I think there should be a competition where you have a toddler in a backpack on your back while you're folding laundry while have you ever tried, have you ever seen your wife when your your daughter was younger, try to do anything with a toddler around, like pick up anything off the floor.
Speaker 2: My wife is she's not the She's an anomaly. She can do all of it. She'll hold three children and figure out how to get the job done. I've never seen anything like it. I don't compete parentally because she is far superior.
Speaker 1: She you just bow to the queen.
Speaker 2: I do manse she.
Speaker 1: Game of throes. There you go.
Speaker 2: It really is true. She's the Khalisi.
Speaker 1: So how many kids have you got at home? Now you've got older kids and younger kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a seven year old and my ten year old daughter at home, and then I have a daughter who goes to Western University of Washington, and my son lives in Seattle.
Speaker 1: And do you guys, like, do the whole family thing or are the adult kids off doing their thing and the younger kids.
Speaker 2: Are It depends on what it is. So like any kind of event, then we all get together. But otherwise want in college. She's busy all the time, is a very busy job in school. My son is pursuing music and doing another job, so he's always busy. So we get together as the six of us are greater when it's you know, a holiday or a birthday.
Speaker 1: So the sun pursuing music? Does he have Dad's gift for lyrics?
Speaker 2: You know? He doesn't show me his music. It's interesting so, but I've heard him sing and it's really good. He's got a great voice.
Speaker 1: He doesn't show you his music, Nope. He wants one of the most talented dads in the world.
Speaker 2: He likes to keep it to himself.
Speaker 1: Oh that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My daughter, I have seven daughters, but my daughter, who lives in the house next door, oh wow, is incredibly gifted. Sings like an angel. She would never sing in front of me, but she always sang in the shower. She has no idea how many hours I spent sitting on the floor outside of the That's a fun listening to her sing. Here's the funny thing about Train. I'll say to people, you know, I love that, I love Training. They're like train, I don't know Train. And then I sing like Hayesol's sister two lines of it and they're like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, I love them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or it drops a Jupiter, you know, one or two lines and I'm like, oh my god, that's the best song ever. I'm like, I know.
Speaker 2: My manager thinks that I'm a genius because I'm not famous, but my music is. And he's like, that's your genius. You get to have genius He's like, you get to have a great life and then sing songs that matter to people. And he's really right. I take my kids skiing every weekend. I go to PCC grocery store, you know, which is the co op around this area, and no one cares at all. But if I sing, then I matter for an hour. You know. It's like, that's a good life.
Speaker 1: That is a very good life, and I have been blessed to create the same life in radio. I can go to Goodwill, I can go to the grocery store. I mean, I walk around my little town in my cowboy boots because I have horses. You know, right after I clean the stalls, nobody cares, yeap, nobody cares because I'm Blessing's mom. I'm Delilah's Junior's mom. You know, That's who I am.
Speaker 2: Most people that I run into just think I'm your average supermodel, you know what I mean, just like unbelievably beautiful.
Speaker 1: So you've partnered with somebody that I have not seen in like twenty five years, but I love him. I heard a little clip. They didn't even send me the whole song.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we recorded Careless Whisper, and so my experience with Kenny is I've only met him once, and when I meet famous people, I meet you and then I bail because I don't want to bother you. And if you want to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Great, how many records sold around the world.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to bother people because they have their lives, they want to do it the way they do it. But Kenny's a really lovely, down to earth guy from Seattle, so he's not full of his own nonsense at all. But I asked a mutual friend in the golf world if I could. I was like, Hey, will you please pass my information onto Kenny. I want to ask him for a big favor. He can always say no to it. And so I texted him any chance that I could send you careless whisper. We're going to put it on our greatest hits and it wouldn't be the same without some Kenny g on it and he was like, yeah, send it my way, and then he sent it back and it was incredible.
Speaker 1: So so you guys want together when you recorded, No.
Speaker 2: He was in malay good. Yeah, he's so cool.
Speaker 1: So good. Yeah, he's good with me in the studio. Talking today is Pat from Train and you've got the greatest album out and greatest hits, ye, greatest hits, and you're going on tour. Ye're starting to here in Seattle.
Speaker 2: That's right. It starts on like.
Speaker 1: Thirty five thirty eight cities.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, it starts on June seventh in Seattle. We're out with the Goo Goo Dolls and Alan Stone, Allen's kid from Spokane who's really crazy talented. And what a great time you have with that guy.
Speaker 1: And Goo Goo Dolls. How did you how did your team with them?
Speaker 2: I've known those guys, not very personally, but.
Speaker 1: Like, do you play golf with three years?
Speaker 2: No? No, not that put maybe after this we will. They're really lovely guys. And we've tried for the last six years to put.
Speaker 1: A put something together and now you did. Now we did, and you're going to be touring all summer long.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to talk to you about Drops of Jupiter, the song, and your charitable charitable project with Wine. Okay, so tell me about first off, the song and the lyrics.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a story about not having any hit songs on our second album. We had an album called it was called Something More and the president of Columbia Records. He was listening to it and he was like, we don't have a first single. So my manager at the time said, you know, Donnie doesn't think you have a first single. He want you to go to New York. And the reason he wanted me to go to New York is because as a band, we foolishly had a deal where we were not allowed to write outside of the band, So it was to protect other people from me going out and writing a bunch of songs without them, which held us back more than it helped us. So Donnie was saying, come to New York because I'm about to make you write with other people. So they booked my flight, and my mother had passed away that year. I went to sleep and I woke up about twenty minutes after I fell asleep and wrote the entire drops of Jupiter Lyric and Melody down. The next day, I went to a friend's house and we demoed it up, and then when I went to New York, I had a CD in my pocket, and so Donnie Einer was telling me, you know, if this song was yours would be a hit, and basically getting me ready to so we're going to put you at a studio with these other guys, and I said, I got this demo. It's probably terrible if you're going to hear it. So it's just a story about my mom telling me what it was like to be on the other side swimming through the planets and listen to it. And he had a breakdown. He was like, this is the song of the year. You know it's going to be. It was during the same time that Almost Famous was out, so he wanted Paul Buckmaster to do the string arrangement and he had the big plan before I even got back on the plane to go home. So that's how Drops of Jupiter was created.
Speaker 1: So that was really mom letting you know everything is good.
Speaker 2: That's what it felt like to me.
Speaker 1: Hanging out with me today here in the studios is Pat Monahan of Terrain. We're talking about this summer's tour. He's going on tour with the Goo Goo Dolls, the new CD Greatest hits his endeavor with Drops of Jupiter wine, a wine that is a charity and how it benefits family house and we're talking about the love of family and now you have a project raising funds to help kids who are hurting our kids who are sick.
Speaker 2: So, as a Bay Area band or San Francisco band, we were seeking the right charity to partner with about eight or or so years ago, maybe nine, about nine years ago. So every charity has a rating. You can look them up online, and many of the ratings aren't very good because they spend an enormous amount of money on the wrong. So this particular place was called Family House. They had two homes and I think there were eight rooms in each home. So there were about sixteen to twenty families that they could give food and shelter to while their children, who most of them had brain tumors, tumors behind their eyes, very very terrible things. These parents had to quit their jobs, some of them, you know, all low income families bringing their children to try to have some dignity while their children are being worked on and possibly not going home with them. That just seemed like the right partnership. So I went and visited them, and I visit them as often as I can, and so proceeds from wine and many other things that we do go to Family House. And since then they've been able to build an eighty family building and so it is full. One of the time, kids from all over the world go to UCSF Hospital because they specialize in kid stuff, kid cancer basically, and so when you go there, you leave so inspired and so heartbroken at the same time. It's uh, there's there's something like that in Seattle as well in every other city. If you'd like to know about your community, you know, I always say that doing your own community is probably the way to do it, because then you can go see it when you want to.
Speaker 1: But what you guys have done, just I went online and I looked at the pictures and I looked at them. I watched a bunch of the videos of the families and their stories, and man, good work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good work. And they have a lot of volunteers. My sister in law who's here in Seattle, lost a child a couple of years ago, and so she started a charity called Season of Miracles. Her daughter was called Season and Seattle Children's Hospital we've been working for about four years now to try to build a garden, a sanctuary, a place for moms and dads and kids to go while their children are in this hospital being worked on, sometimes just being sick, a place for people to go to meditate, prey and the paperwork, the red tape. It is exhausting. They have all the money that it's going to take to build it. They just I mean, if anybody you know can inspire the city of Seattle to help us deliver that sooner rather than later, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: I will see what who I know and put it out there. So it's going to be called the garden is going to be.
Speaker 2: Called Season of Miracles Garden.
Speaker 1: Season of Miracles Garden. And how old was season when she changed her?
Speaker 2: She is one month. She was real sick, unexpectacledly right at birth and didn't make it past thirty days.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. It's a you know, it's something that it happens to other women and other parents, but when it happens to your family, you want to do something about it. And this is a way to help a lot of people because it's one of the things that was missing obviously, other than your child getting well, a place to go, you know, just somewhere to find some dignity. That's what family house does. These people come there are many times poor, They have six kids, sick kids, they lose their jobs, et cetera. And then they come in and the first room in this building is a room to collect yourself so that you can find your dignity to go move on. And that's what I think this garden will provide for people.
Speaker 1: So Drops of Jupiter is the name of your wine. Yes, that named after the song that your mother inspired you with. But it's hard to find.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a reason for it. Drops of Jupiter was created with my partner at Concannon Winery in Livermore, California. And like the music world, wine has to find its place out there in the world. And the way to do it is you make a deal with Target. Hey, Target, if you sell my record, we'll give you these two extra songs. Right, So there's a way to inspire people to buy your product. Wine is much more competitive even and so we made we signed an exclusivity deal with Publics in Florida and HB in Texas, and so they were exclusive to Drops A Jupiter, Pinot, Sauvignon blanc and cab and till just recently. So now the label will go into restaurants and all the other grocery stores in the country. So soon you'll be able to find it, but until then you can go to drops to Jupiter wine dot com.
Speaker 1: Very nice, and the proceeds from.
Speaker 2: That go to a familyhouse in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: How does that make you feel? Knowing that something you're passionate about, something that you birthed, is such a gift to families who well.
Speaker 2: To think that it's a win win. You can catch a little buzz and help people out. You know, it's a pretty fun thing, but it's also it's a really good product. You know. When we started the wine business that we are in, we didn't want to be the cliche, Oh, here's a little bottle of train wine that you can put on your shelf and never drink it because it's from the concert. This is like a real bottle of wine. It's a twenty dollars retail and it's quality everything and including what it benefits, and so it's all fun.
Speaker 1: I'm not a wine drinker. I think the last time I drank wine it was Boons Farm Strawberry Hill mixed with seven up and I was wearing you.
Speaker 2: Know what, that's actually the ingredients of plutonium. So you had it after all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I did. I just didn't know it. Yeah, but I looked for some after I found out about yours, because I do this fundraiser for or the NGO that I that I started, called Point Hope, and we do a fundraiser every year called Farm to Feast where people come to my farm and I grow organic fruits and vegetables and we feast and we always pair it. We have really lovely wines that we pair everything with. So I was looking for drops of Jupiter Wine and there's no store within three hundred miles.
Speaker 2: No, we'll just send it to you next time.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Awesome, Well you'll have to come next time too, it's up you'll be on tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll send you wine next time you do your event.
Speaker 1: Pat Monahan, thank you for making the drive today giving us the low down on everything happening with you and the band. Good luck with the tour this summer, and thank you for your offer to share some drops of Jupiter Wine with our Point Hope gala this summer. But I got to say, Pat, you're wrong on one level. You're not your average supermodel, as you said, your way above ava and all things, my friend, but most especially your capacity for loving Pick up the Train CD greatest hits and get tickets to the summer's tour with the Goo Goo Dolls. And don't forget to spend a little bit of time showing gratitude to my sponsor the Home Depot when it's time to update and refresh family spaces and rooms in your home that are looking a little worn around the edges, especially the bathrooms. From faucets and fixtures to flooring and finishes, the Home Depot has your family's remodeling needs covered from top to bottom. Style, simplicity. The Home Depot more saving, more doing. Please tell your friends, tell everyone you know about this podcast series. Love someone with Delia and subscribe on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Bud down and love someone who It's de Line