Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Tuesday check in with the Dodgers, what's next in the sho Heyo Tani story. Also, we have a new kickoff rule and the NFL just adopted it. We'll talk to Albert Breer. He's at the owner's meetings in Orlando. We'll talk to him about that and the growing not concern, but kind of growing consensus that the first four picks in the draft are going to be quarterbacks and that means JJ McCarthy is moving on up inside the top five. I was just Mike Tannenbaum, former Jets GM, he works for the Mothership. He was talking about that JJ McCarthy. He could see him going number two overall, talk about a meteoric rise, and we didn't see it because if you watch Michigan football, it's not like his arm was on display constantly. But it feels like everybody's fallen in love with the intangibles with JJ McCarthy. So, Mike Tannenbaum, he also had the Cardinals trading the fourth pick, or they were going to trade Kyler Murray to Minnesota and then they were gonna take I guess JJ McCarthy. So they're gonna they're gonna with the fourth pick, they take JJ McCarthy and then they trade Kyler Murray to Minnesota. Like all right, that's fun. Sure gonna get some attention for that. H eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Good morning, those watching on Peacock and those listening nearly over four hundred cities around America carrying the program. By the way, the Jets owner Woody Johnson feels sorry for Zach Wilson and had this to say.
Speaker 3: I feel badly about Zach in some ways because you know, last year would have been a great He would have been a first time he could just sit back and watch a master at work, right, and he's never had that. He's been on the fire from day one. And I think that's what he needs. He needs to be in a place where he can observe for a while, and he's got the skill. He can do everything. There's a reason we drafted about number two.
Speaker 2: All right, but you're not going to keep him so he can learn behind the master. This year, you've given him the permission to go seek a trade. Why not hold on to him. I mean, he's on a rookie deal. Let him learn from the master here instead of letting him go.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: So, Mike Tomlin talked about Russell Wilson, his new starting quarterback.
Speaker 5: We're not resistant the competition, but as I've mentioned several times of late, I just think it's appropriate to establish positioning as we get into this thing. And the term that I've used is Russell has pole position. And why do I use that term because during this time where we are not formally working, man, I just think it's beneficial experience in the National Football League, And so that's why I say he has pole position.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: It just creates a synergy that I think is good for this time of year. What is time to compete. We get in training camp like settings and going to presease the stadiums and so forth. Obviously Justin will be given an opportunity to show his capabilities.
Speaker 2: He always sounds serious no matter what he's doing. I can't imagine him ordering dinner. He probably sounds just like that. Alight, I'm gonna take the steak, how's that? How's that prepared? I like it? I like medium, meet him well, potato I don't want any butter. I you got so crea. I want sour cream. I don't want any of that cream. Spinach, I want regular spinach. Saute. Okay, got your coach, by the way, moonshine madness. Every person who places a Tailgate order gets fifty percent off their next order at the merch store at danpatrick dot com. Spent a lot of time talking about show. Hey o Tani La Times sportswriter covering the Dodgers. Mike d Giovanna joining us on the program, was at the press conference yesterday. How would you summarize what you saw what you heard yesterday? Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: Really interesting, and honestly, I was surprised that shohe said as much as he did. You know, so often in these situations we get the, oh, there's an ongoing investigation I can't comment on and we're going to let the authorities handle it and then we'll talk afterwards. And he came right out on the offensive. You know, he was very assertive, very forceful in his denial of any speculation that he has bet on sports, that he's been on baseball, and he really turned the tables on his now former interpreter and former confidant and friend basically accused Epai of being a liar and a thief. So was it was very interesting. The tone of the room was very interesting, a little different than a lot of the show Hey with Tani press conferences were used to but he went on the attack and it was very clear.
Speaker 2: What wasn't answered yesterday.
Speaker 6: To me, the two biggest questions, although biggest one is on obvious. It's like, how if indeed he payments to how siphoned off millions of dollars you know from show Hay's accounts, How did this happen without you know, his the people who handle his finances and show Hey himself without knowing that. And to me, the other issue is, you know how show Hay was so much more than an interpreter. I'm sorry, eBay was so much more than an interpreter for show Hey. He was around him almost every day of the year, all day, you know. And uh, how does a guy supposedly have such a gambling problem that he's racked up millions of debt in debt without anybody knowing? And you know, even if show Hey emerges from this scandal unscathed, his reputation and the game intact. I think, you know, he's gonna have to take a closer look at the people in his inner circle, the people handling his affairs, because they put a lot of trust in Epay to do a lot. He was a liaison between you know, the Dodgers, the Angels, all those yaters and Show Hey, between his agents at CIA and Show Hey, between the media and Show Hey. And ton't trust that much in one guy, and to have him betray you like he supposedly did, it's pretty disturbing.
Speaker 2: If you could ask one question, if it's to show Hey or Epey.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, well, all the questions I just mentioned, you know to Epay, Uh, you know, how why did you do this? You know, why did you think you're going to get away with this? And you know what was he thinking? You know, I mean, this guy was attached. I mean, I hate to use a term, but you know, kind of a bit of a gravy train, you know, for the for the next ten years. This guy's I'm sure Show Hey made a lot more on tips and just you know, just from being around Show Hey, Epay. I'm sorry keep mixing these two up. Then he didn't say, and you know he's got, you know, a front row seat to one of the most amazing stories in the game, and to think you would just throw that all the way is stunning. And to show, Hey, you know, how how did this happen? You know, under your watch? How did this happen right under your nose? And you know you could tell in the press conference he felt very betrayed, and you know, there was a there was a tone in his voice. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know Show Hey that well, but I've been in dozens of interviews with this guy over the last six and a half years, and I felt like, you know, he's usually very composed, very measured in his comments, and I felt a forcefulness and an assertiveness yesterday in his voice that was maybe like one octum below anger that we don't normally hear from Show Hey. And I think that's why he sound sounded, at least to his teammates and Dodgers, and I think if he saw the press conference, he sounded pretty convincing.
Speaker 2: I was curious about this. I don't know if anybody brought this up to show Hey, but here's the interpreter who has lied about working for the Red Sox and the Yankees, Like Shohy has to know that this guy has said that he worked for the Yankees in the Red Sox, but he knows that he didn't work for the Yankees and the Red Sox. Like there's certain things that you would I would think would be normal, like wait, you didn't work for the Yankees or why are you saying that? And then you're going to trust him being basically your valet. I mean, I don't know, it just kind of stood out. It was just weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it goes to the vetting process, you know. Yeah, I mean, the Dodgers don't have a great track record, let's face it. You know with Trevor Bauer over the last few years. And I'm not saying you know they I mean they did background checks on epay, they talked to him after the signing, and they met with him and you know, from what I've heard, the agent really vouched for Epey. And but yeah, there's a there's a there's a vetting process that obviously didn't take place here. I mean some of these things are in the really short bio that's been in the Angels media guy for several years, and it's you know, it's hard to pin the blame on, you know, the Angels PR Department for not you know, doing background checks on but yeah, it's very odd. You know, why would you lie about going to UC Riverside. I went to Harvard, I went to the graduated magnicrom Cloudy, you know.
Speaker 2: But it is a smaller lie though, Mike, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: And the whole, the whole. The bigger issue is like when you're lining up stories when Epe you know, changed his original story that he told the ESPN one hundred and eighty degrees to the next day, and then you layer on top of that these little FIBs. His credibility is shot, you know, I don't know, it's hard to know what to believe out of this guy.
Speaker 2: What's next for the LA Times on this story.
Speaker 6: We can't tell you, Okay, you know, we're we're digging as hard as we can. We're trying to fill in some of the gaps on Epay's resume, uh, you know, trying to you know, keep have a bead on the There's three different investigations now, and the.
Speaker 2: MLB is still in the States.
Speaker 6: I don't know for sure, we you know, we have had reporters at his parents' house. We're told, in no uncertain terms to go away. Uh. I've asked many of the Japanese reporters and they have not. He has not been seen in the States. He's going to have to emerge at some point because there's some federal investigators that have probably have a lot of questions for him. And you know, he's in a bit, He's in a heap of trouble. Let's let's face it. If these allegations against him are true, you know, he could be looking at jail time. Maybe not. You know a lot of a lot of these situations, they're they're going after the bookies, not so much the betters, but the other aspect.
Speaker 2: But he's got to pay Otani back.
Speaker 6: Doesn't stealing money from Otani?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Restitution?
Speaker 6: Yeah, If that allegation is true, that's a problem for him.
Speaker 2: Mike, good to talk to you. Great stuff by the LA Times. Thanks for joining us, Thanks for having me all right, Mike d. Gi Ivanna, LA Times sportswriter covering the Dodgers in Major League Baseball. And there's still questions there is he going to pay back Otani? He can't pay back four and a half million dollars. And you know what, when we had David Perdamon, who covers gambling for ESPN, and he says that to lose that amount of money four and a half million dollars, the interpreter had to have bet close to eighty million dollars. So he's betting all the time because you're going to win some of those bets. He's saying, I don't think that this guy was just bet like four bets and he lost, you know, four and a half million dollars. He was betting on all these other sporting events. He was betting a lot. That's what makes it even more improbable that shohe had no idea. You sit down and watch a sporting event with this guy, does he act differently? I mean, how much money? How much money was he betting on these individual games? That's I mean, I'm curious about a lot of these things.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 2: Let me see Chris in La Hi, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: THO Mornings, Dan, I wanted to give you a former defense attorney's perspective. And the reporter that was on is really good reporters said what I was some of what I was going to say in that I was shocked by Otani's detail in a lot of the areas because we did not get the general gets an ongoing investigator type situation, And that's important because all of these statements that he said couldn't be used against them if there ever is a criminal action brought. So that was very telling to me, which makes me think they must have some other evidence, like text messages or emails showing that he did not know what was going on. And the local attorney that represents the bookmaker said Otani did not know anything about the betting, so that's interesting. And one last point I want to make about the vetting process. I think it's more of a situation like Kobe having his own trainer. The I think the Dodgers took the fact that Otani liked the interpreter and he was with them for the Angels, and they probably did not do the same betting they would have done had he been applying for positions in front office or something like that. So I think that's a little different than the normal situation of the betting. So it's going to be very interesting to me. But the fact that he went to details and we didn't get the details about the financial aspect about how it happened, and that's probably just to protect himself. They may be even trying to find out who else was involved, how did he get access to the money. So I understand why he didn't go into detail in that, but the fact that he came out unequivocally and said I don't know this person, I never bet that's huge because all it takes is one little text, measures or something showing that show hey did know, and then all that's blown out of the water. So to me, that was the most telling thing. So we'll see how it unfolds.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris, thank you for the information. Jeff in Kansas City, Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind? ADB?
Speaker 7: I called him because the gambling thing isn't just sports betting. It's gone into other areas of our lives. I mean, if you follow what people are doing on Wall Street, just the average daily investor of buying these puts and calls and options, I mean, there are some young kids out there just blowing their money, and I think collectively it's probably got something to do with COVID and this collective PTSD we're suffering from where people are willing to take a lot more chances and be risky about things.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe I don't rule it out. It's just if you are a gambler and you get desperate or you know somebody. Once again, I only speak from experience, and I know that feeling and you think you're gonna win, and then you don't win, and now all of a sudden you don't have the money, and now you're gonna double your bet and you're gonna win on Monday Night football. I know that feeling. And everybody thinks that they know more than the other guy, You're never ever going to beat them. I always rented money, That's what I would say, I'm renting this. And then I just stopped cold turkey and I was up and I took the money and I paid off school loans and I bought my mam a dishwasher, and that was it done. Didn't think about gambling again. Even when we're in Vegas at the Super Bowl and we're at a bar and I can walk across, I can walk thirty feet in place a bet, and I had no interest. We're watching all these games, you know, and PAULI goes, you're gonna go bet on Iowa basketball I go, no that. Oh, I'm gonna stop. I'm gonna start gambling again. I'm going to bet on Caitlyn Clark. I go, no, not gonna happen. Yeah, Paulie, little symbolism there.
Speaker 8: You bought a dishwasher. You're cleansing your soul, You're cleaning up your act. There's a lot of watch your money, washing your money, mother mother issues, mother issues.
Speaker 9: I just going to you a little bit there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might be correct on all of those things.
Speaker 8: The dishwasher would represent something that's a good feeling. You had a bad feeling from gambling. You wanted to take that winning and do something good with it before you ended it.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I didn't want to wash dishes anymore. And your laziness, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Fair.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I guess if you know, therapists could probably have a field day with some of these things. AnyWho, Albert Murria join us from the NFL owners meetings.
Speaker 8: How they have problems?
Speaker 2: They that's the league.
Speaker 6: This got a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I brought up. Imagine the three commissioners. Adam Silver's dealing with a prop bet gambling problem with one of his players. Rob Manfred's got the face of his sport involved in something and the commissioner is trying to get rid of the hip drop tackle in the NFL. We'll take a break back after this Stan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Hey, gang, this is Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a mental.
Speaker 11: Wealth podcast, and every week we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsey Vaughn, Michael Phelp, David Spade, got.
Speaker 10: Fiemmi, and also those who can help us in between the years, anyone from a therapist to someone like Ed Milette for John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top. We've all there's different tools. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: Just wondering about this with sho hey Otani and his interpreter, At what point do you think he's desperate enough that he bet on baseball, Because if you're losing four and a half million dollars. I think that you would probably go, Okay, how can I make this money up? I don't have any scruples. I mean, I got it. I mean Pete Rose was betting on baseball and games that he was managing, because then he had a better chance of affecting the outcome or knowing the outcome. What would have stopped this guy from asking Otani when he's with the Angels, hey, uh, or he's going to listen to everything. He's going to find out everything. He's there in the locker room. You're going to find out if somebody isn't healthy, or a pitcher isn't, you know, feeling well. But he's going to go out in the mound. And if Otani doesn't even know that he's gambling with his money, how's he going to know that you're taking that inside information? Desperate people desperate things. Well, so there's a lot more attached to this, obviously. Albert Breer Monday Morning, Quarterback Man, doesn't seem that long ago that we had a chance to talk. So help me understand the new kickoff rule? And uh did it passed with flying colors?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 12: So twenty nine yes is three nose the nose were God San Francisco, Green Bay in Vegas were the three Nose. And you know, I think this is sort of the outgrowth of a couple of things Dan. The first is, you know, obviously the touchback rule last year for the most part, eliminated the kickoff and it flipped where it had in the past been eighty percent return twenty percent touchback, it had gone to eighty percent eighty percent touchback last year, and so they wanted to find a way the special teams coaches did to help put it back in the game. So over the last two years they've worked on it and crafted the idea of creating something that would put more returns in the game and maybe bringing to life the next Devin Hester, the next Dante Hall.
Speaker 9: And so it's the modification of the XFL role.
Speaker 12: The idea overarching is to take speed and space out of the play to slow down the collisions. And they think this addresses the injury issue that the touchback will address last year and will add returns back into football. I mean, the ideas and their belief is this is going to add about five hundred plays, five hundred competitive plays to the game next year, which I think is a win for everybody, even if it is going to look a little weird and different.
Speaker 2: Okay, are there still going to be touchbacks?
Speaker 9: So it's interesting the way the rule sets up.
Speaker 12: So if you have what's called the landing zone from the goal line to the twenty, if you kick it into the landing zone and it bounces and it's not field and go into the end zone, is a touchback that goes to the twenty.
Speaker 9: If the kicker kicks it.
Speaker 12: Into the end zone, the ball comes all the way out to the thirty five. Okay, if you land short of the landing zone, then and it bounces before it hit, it touches, it bounces before it gets to the twenty, then the ball comes all the way out to the forties. So essentially you're penalizing the kicker for not putting it in that landing zone inside the twenty but short of the goal line, and you're penalizing the return team if the ball lands in the landing zone and then bounces into the end zone.
Speaker 9: I think I covered all. It's gonna take some good of use to for sure.
Speaker 2: This is like a Ted talks. You know, you need you need a power point, you need charge up there all right, the famous, the infamous hip drop tackle. How did we get to this point that we now have to get rid of it in the sport.
Speaker 12: It's it's an outgrowth, outgrowth of Seahawks tackling, which is it's called Seahawk tackling because Pete Carroll kind of gave rise to the idea of this like wrap and roll technique. And you know, really that's being employed at all levels of football now where.
Speaker 9: You see kids doing it.
Speaker 12: You see high schoolers doing it, you see college kids doing it, and obviously the pros. And it really has helped to take the head out of tackling, and it's helped with concussion.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 12: It's the downside of it is the hip drop, which is when you swing around and.
Speaker 9: I can give you a little bit of a visual. You swing around, right, Uh, you swing around and you wrap your.
Speaker 2: Somebody in the room just grab an owner.
Speaker 9: Sure, there are actually a couple of guys over here I would like.
Speaker 2: To tackle, but not Jay Glazier. Don't don't tackle Glazier.
Speaker 9: No, I'm not. I'm not. I'm not challenging Glazier to one of those. But like so basically, like that what happens.
Speaker 12: What happens with seaw tackling is you wrap and you roll, and so if you if people listening can envision it, it's you're wrapping your arms around the guy and then you're using your weight to pull the guy down. And what's happened is it's some almost like a like a horse collar where a guy's feet get caught and pulled down. And so you know, it's unfortunate because again it's an unintended consequence of a change to football that really has made a positive difference. And I think my concern would be, okay, so they're gonna have to work around this. Defense player is gonna have to work around this. So there's probably gonna be another unintended consequence somewhere right, Like it's a violent game, so is the dog chasing its tail here. But I do understand why they did it, because it was the injury rate with the play was so much higher than other plays. And it's gonna take some adjusting for defensive players for sure. And it sounds like at first at least they're probably gonna have to officiate it through fines rather than flags, but they're gonna give guys some runway to get used to it. They're gonna dish out some vines. Then I think by the time we get to the middle of the year next year, they're probably flagging it more often if they still see it.
Speaker 2: Would Mike Jones have been flagged in the Super Bowl with the tack law Kevin Dyson.
Speaker 12: That's a good question. I have to go back and look at that one. The goal line play, right, Yeah, the Super Bowl two thousand, Yeah, Rams Titans. Yeah, maybe I have to go back and go back. To be honest with you, there are all these different elements to it, which I have no idea how the reps are going to officiate exactly and full speed because I can't even like go through my head and like think of all the steps here as I sit.
Speaker 9: So, yeah, I think there's definitely gonna be some complications. I would that that's an interesting one though. I'll definitely go back.
Speaker 2: Are you looking at the video?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it would be classic. He wraps Dicon around the waist Mike Jones and spins him and pulls him to the ground his body.
Speaker 9: So does he swivel around though that's like the.
Speaker 8: There's possible swiveling swivel because That's the thing is like if you swivel and then like it's like basically.
Speaker 12: Taking your feet off the ground, right, Like if you swivel and kind of like try to like get the guy to carry you, like, that's when it's a lead. So if that's what he did, then y s be illegal and to be first, Yep, it would, and then the current Warner story might be a little different and.
Speaker 9: Be a super Bowl champion.
Speaker 12: Yeah yeah, I mean on time down to the one on time down with Eddie George in the backfield.
Speaker 2: Roughing the passer. Uh, when will we have replay? Like what brings about replay on roughing the passer?
Speaker 12: It has to be it has to be very clear, and it has to be cut in dry situations. And so I think what's going to govern this? And I've always been a proponent of like the idea of a sky judge, right, which I think that they should empower an official and put them upstairs and have him use the benefit of all of the crystal clear HD angles that we all have the benefit of home at home, benefit of at home. I think it's patently insane that all of us have that benefit. But the people who are in charge of the game on the field don't. So I think there's another step in that direction, and what will govern it Dan is that they won't allow you to change the call after I think it's the twenty second cut off on the play clock, right, so once the play clock gets to twenty seconds, then you can't change it. So it almost by definition has to be obvious, right you have to go in and see it like right away.
Speaker 9: Or it or or you won't be able to go in and change the call in the field.
Speaker 12: So I think I think it's an effective way of taking a play out, taking bad calls out that I think have frustrate every one of us, and hopefully, hopefully it's you know, another step towards a really efficient sky judge system, which they don't want to call it the sky judge, they want to call it replay assists. But you know, I think a step in the direction that a lot of coaches and people in.
Speaker 9: The league have wanted them to go in in along prolong time.
Speaker 2: He's the Monday morning quarterback Albert Brier joining us from the NFL owners meetings. You guys all get together, the owners are there, media is there, and everybody is chopping things up, talking about things, rumors, speculation, and we have spoken about this top of the draft. Why do you think there's a real good chance the first four picks will be quarterback?
Speaker 12: You either think there's a good chance the first three sit there and take quarterbacks. And then there's a handful of teams that I think are going to look at trading up, and the Cardinals I think will take a serious look at trading down. I am of the Bears are taking Caleb Williams. I think something would have to happen for them not to say Kalb at this point. At number two, I think the likelihood is still Jayden Daniels from LSU. Now I think at three there's a little bit more of a possibility than a two of a trade. I think New England's looking at this and saying, all right, like, if the right quarterback falls us, we take them. If the one one we like goes to and then we don't like the guy at three quite as much, would they look at trading down.
Speaker 9: I think they would consider that.
Speaker 12: I still think I think it's probably more likely they take quarterback, but I don't think the idea of trading down is out of the picture.
Speaker 9: For them at all.
Speaker 12: And if it goes one, two, three quarterbacks, like let's say it's sixty forty seventy thirty right now, that the three teams at the top stick and take quarterbacks, well then you've got teams that have investigated trading up and the Giants, the Raiders, the Vikings, and I think the Broncos are lurking as a dark horse, like four teams that could be in the market to move up, and the Cardinals sitting there at four with a real chance to turn that pick into a lot more picks. And so I think for the first time ever, we could wind up having four quarterbacks going one, two, three, four, which would also mean that JJ McCarthy has moved into that top tier quarterbacks where I think for the last couple of months.
Speaker 9: Kayleb Williams, straight Man Jade Daniels have.
Speaker 2: Been good to talk to you. Thanks for joining us. I know you're busy, you got it, Thanks man, Albert Breer, the Monday Morning quarterback and some interesting things there. Yeah, the possibility of four quarterbacks, bang bang bang bang. And I'm fine with the new kickoff rule. It gets better than a touchback, yep, Like you can't be like, oh, that's well, you know, what's silly that there are no kickoffs. Now what's next is how do you get the punt out of football? Because there's a lot of you know, guys are building up forty fifty yards of speed they're running down, and a lot of injuries on that play. I don't know if you could ever get rid of the punt. Luke and Charlotte, Hi, Luke, what's on your mind? Think?
Speaker 6: Guys?
Speaker 2: I was just sitting here wondering. I was wondering last year or around this time why C. J.
Speaker 4: Stroud was dropping.
Speaker 7: And this year I'm wondering what teams possibly see in JJ McCarthy that they.
Speaker 2: Don't see in let alone Penix.
Speaker 4: But I guess if they have injury concerns, what they don't see in bo Nix, who's more accurate, has more arm talent, and is more athletic.
Speaker 2: I just think it's kind of a new flavor here with JJ McCarthy, Like we love potential. Bo Knicks had felt like stayed too long in college football, even though he was wonderful last year. Pennix with the injuries, but it just feels like the unknown of JJ McCarthy. You know, a great quarterback, top five pick, perhaps playing in a run dominant offense, and he could be a first round, top five pick. I got it. I didn't see it. But then all I can go by is my source who was there at the combine and said, you know what, you can't help, but like what you see. But I said I didn't see enough, and he said that is the key. And sometimes people fall in love with what they didn't see instead of what they do see. And that might be the case, but they talk about now he's not an athletic quarterback. Jaden Daniels is an athletic quarterback. Bo Knicks is an athletic quarterback. Jaden Daniels in one season ran for more yards than J. J. McCarthy did in his career at Michigan. I believe, but it almost feels like like he's almost like a Russell Wilson type that you know he can extend plays, make a play, But I just don't know this athleticism. Bonix has athleticism. Michael Pennix is not a runner. Caleb is you know Mahomesyan where extending a play, running first down, those kind of things. Jaden Daniels is a flat out athlete there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, you're not saying JJ McCarthy's sneaky athletic, are you You're about to go there?
Speaker 2: I would say he's probably. I don't think he's athletic, like Drake may is more athletic than he is.
Speaker 8: He's more of a rollout, keep the play alive quarterback than a running quarterback. Yeah, much more like Aaron Rodgers. Tries not to run, but he keeps it alive behind the line of scrimmage. Aaron Rodgers Cobb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the most talented quarterback, Aaron Rodgers is the Kyrie Irving of quarterbacks there. Michael PENNOCKX.
Speaker 8: It seems like tries not to run, but when he does it's really good.
Speaker 2: I don't think he ran that much.
Speaker 8: A couple of fourth downs, Cole.
Speaker 2: Those pigs exact knee surgeries that'd make me not one to run. Or if I'm running, I got to make sure I'm faster than a few of the guys over there. Yes, Mark, do you remember.
Speaker 12: Seeing a quarterback jump like this and you didn't understand why everybody was falling over a quarterback that made a big jump.
Speaker 2: Well, you had that crazy draft when Christian Ponder went up. I mean, everybody was just drafted a quarterback. It's almost like, you know, you're it's a game of musical chairs, and everybody wants to have a seat, so they're like, uh, we'll take him, We'll take that guy. Well, wait a minute, you got a first round great. Don't know. I don't we need a quarterback. But I think teams are smarter now with getting the quarterback that works for them, instead of making the quarterback fit into your system. You're kind of adopting that quarterback system. You know, the Bears are going to adopt k Williams' system there. You've got to incorporate Jaden Daniels and his talents. It used to be we brought you in and then you had to play in accordance to what our offense was. That's not the case anymore. Yeah, Paul, I was.
Speaker 8: Thinking about this. I'm gonna say I have a question for you. It catch a little snarky, little dark.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll save it all right, Let's take a break, last call for phone calls. What we learn what's in store tomorrow after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Thirteen of the top sixteen seeds, including all four number ones, three number twos, and all four number threes, moved on to the sweet sixteen the Women's NCAA Tournament. Great programming last night you had yukon with Paige Becker's she put up thirty two, and then you had Caitlin Clark at Iowa, she put up thirty two. And then my favorite, not my face, but boy, she'd getting close. Is Juju Watkins at USC. She's a lot of fun, but man, is she going to be a handful the next couple of years in college basketball. I think the only thing that would stop her from approaching Page or Caitlin Clark's all time record is if she would somehow leave early and go to the WNBA. Can can you leave after? Can you leave even after your freshman year? Now, I don't know what the nil is and that might keep her at USC, but I'm wondering is there any restriction on going into the WNBA. Has somebody left after like their sophomore year and maybe I'm not aware of it, And this is part of the beauty of the women's tournament because the storylines stay and get bigger because the players will stay longer.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, As of right now, the WNBA eligibility rules, you have to be twenty two or you have to have you have to have used all your college eligibility in four years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so not even juniors. You can't go to your junior Yeah. Now we might be in four years from now or three years from now. Look at Juju watkins career at USC put it up there with the great Cheryl Miller. Now are they going to build a team around her? You know, will they be you know, competing for national championship? Well, here you are in the sweet sixteen. If you get a chance, watcher, because it's it's an athletic display. She's fun and uh man, she's going to be tough, tough for people to defend one on one, and that's what happens, you know, like it's a boxing one for you know, some of these players, certainly Caitlyn Clark. And then that's when you rely on your teammates. If and I would do that with Iowa, I would say, all right, everybody else, you beat us, or you say to Caitlyn Clark. All right, you get your points, We're going to shut down everybody else. You almost have to decide between the two, and that's really hard because there's some shooters. The number of great shooters in women's basketball is it shouldn't be surprising, but it is. Like you'll see that they shoot deep and they shoot with form, and uh yeah, there's a seismic shift. And wait until the fallout from Caitlin Clark happens in like five years from now, seven years from now. Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 8: By the way, though, the only downside last night, I wonder what the executives who ran the final four and we're thinking when Iowa was down in the second half and then maybe out of the tournament early, like they're banking on Clark being in the final four or you.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't think West Virginia would bounce them. No, but I mean I think it was.
Speaker 8: I think it was tied in the fourth quarter at one point two.
Speaker 2: Minutes left, two minutes. Yeah, yeah, it was awesome. Then the refs decided to give the game. Oh whatever, did you see that crazy stat about the Lakers with free throws like it is? Let me see if I have this right, This is crazy, all right. Since the beginning of the twenty twenty two to twenty three seas and the Lakers have shot over one thousand more free throws than their opponents. This season, They've taken four hundred and twenty more free throws than opposing teams.
Speaker 11: Stall the day STANDAA day STATAA day Stannata day.
Speaker 2: This is the start of the day. Stat of the Day brought you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Also the uh is it Dietia Fair at Syracuse? Is that how you pronounce her name? She was awesome last night. What a handle? So I think she's third on the all time scoring list. She had twenty last night, so she ended up just over thirty four hundred points and she's third all time leading scorer. But her handle awesome. Yeah, Okay, you had an NFL question, Pauline.
Speaker 8: I've been thinking about this. If you watch the Bears coverage, there's lots of stories that they've interviewed Kayleb Williams. They took him out to dinner, he's can't everything says they're going to take him. Albert Breer is all but reporting they're going to take him, but nobody's reporting that they're going to take him. The Bears haven't given that out yet. Do you think that the NFL off the record quietly would encourage the Bears to hold onto that nugget as long as they can, to save it as close as they can to the draft, to provide more draft coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, okay, I think I think they've done that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, other people I brought that up before, Like, no, the NFL would not stick their head into that.
Speaker 2: It seems like a naive right, yeah. Yeah, Because you want to have the build up to the draft.
Speaker 8: You would think that the Bears would announce as fast as possible to declare it and say this is our guy. If you're not going to trade, and you're going to.
Speaker 2: But what benefit does that local perception that we have our guy?
Speaker 8: We have there's no questions about our guy, I think when you know, other teams have had the jersey made up a month before, two months before. Instead, we're taking him and it looks good at the locals. There's no question. Because the Bears can't say a week after the left, well, we had no questions it was gonna take calebe.
Speaker 2: Oh so you want the media to not second guess you, So then you're gonna because they would never do that in Chicago, even if you announced that you're taking him, you know what would happen. We are taking Caleb Williams. Oh why would you do that? Now nobody's going to trade up, but now they know what you're going to like the strategy here, right? You can't win this day in sports history just a couple.
Speaker 8: Nineteen eighty six, Dan Neil Broughton Minnesota north Stars, which are still the north Stars, became the first US born player to score one hundred.
Speaker 2: Points in a season.
Speaker 8: And this is a fun one. The National Labor Relations Board ruled that college football players at Northwestern could unionize.
Speaker 2: Nothing ever came Mmmm. Nineteen seventy nine, biggest college basketball game in history. Magic Johnson beats Larry Bird seventy five sixty four for the n CUAA champions.
Speaker 9: What did they hype that up? A little too much?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd? Whatever happened to those players? You were just kidding?
Speaker 9: There was just being facetious. Are Magic Bird? That's pretty big?
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 9: Can't hype that enough?
Speaker 2: You're crazy, Todd? What'd you learn today?
Speaker 8: In his earlier days while calling the NCAA tournament, Iron Eagle foun himself monitoring scores of other games and how.
Speaker 9: Was negatively affecting his brackets.
Speaker 2: Seat O'Connor, what did you learn today, Iron Eagle, Ian Eigel Either way, it's good. Yeah, he's a lot of fun, very very good. Marvin, would you learn today?
Speaker 9: We all believe Otani except for Fritzi.
Speaker 2: What a liar?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Paul, what do you What did you learn today? Fritzy?
Speaker 8: I just found if there's NIT games tonight Georgia, Ohio State Cincinnati at your Indiana State squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pulling for Indiana State. Tirereck dot com the official time expert retailer, The Danpatrick Show. Go to tyreck dot com, slash Dan the Tire Decision Guide, Try that full lineup of Pirelli tires special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tirect dot com the way tire buying should be. Thanks for allowing us into your day. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks for joining us on the program once again, Fritzie, Seaton, mar Paully yours truly have a great Tuesday. We'll talk to you on Wednesday. Dan Patrick Show