Speaker 1: Welcome to the Tutor Dixon Podcast. So today we are kind of turning the tables. It could be fun, it could be a total disaster. I'm not sure what to expect because today I am bringing a Detroit based reporter into my podcast.
Speaker 2: His name is Sam Robinson.
Speaker 1: First, I want to talk to you about my partners at Preborn. According to a recent study, as many as twenty percent of women who undergo chemical abortions suffer complications and sometimes even death. And did you know that the Biden administration loosened restrictions by not requiring the NIH to report injuries caused by the abortion pill. And this pill accounts for over sixty percent of abortions. Preborn's network of clinics see many women who are seeking help after taking this pill, regretting their decision, and some of them are even coming in with their aborted babies remains, not knowing what to do with them. It's so sad, but Preborn welcomes these women with open arms and they offer them life saving help, including the abortion pill reversal treatment if it's not too late. When you sponsor an ultrasound for a woman in crisis, you are empowering women with real choices. Please join us as we rescue women and babies. One ultrasound is only twenty eight dollars and one hundred and forty dollars helps to rescue five babies. You won't regret the choice to save a life. Please dial Pound two fifty and say the keyword baby. That's Pound two fifty baby, or visit preborn dot com slash dixon. That's preborn dot com slash dixon sponsored by Preborn. You know, Sam, I watched what you do on Twitter every day or ex whatever we call it now, and I think you're one of the most genuine reporters out there that's constantly talking about what is good for your community, what your community needs, and you've just recently started your own site. I want to talk about all of that, but I have a lot of respect for what you do, and that's why you You actually reached out to me, and I was like, Hey, how about you come on and I interview you. And I don't know what you thought about that, but I'm glad you said yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, I didn't even hesitate, did I really? No, No, I talked to everyone. I uh, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you for bringing me on and being willing to, uh, you know, have this sort of long form discussion. You were willing to have it with us when you were a gobernatorial candidate back a couple of years back. I remember, uh, you know, covering you asking questions. You know, you weren't afraid to go where the tough questions were with Beth LeBlanc or Craig Mauger at the News. So, you know, kudos to you. Everyone in the press corps seemed to the consensus was, you know, Tutor, you know.
Speaker 3: She's a care she's a she's she's.
Speaker 4: Willing to take our heart and tough and sometimes repeat over and over and over again questions questions that you know people, was this the issue that that people cared about? I think when you talk about issues, whether it's in ben Harbor, Kalamazoo, Flint, Midland, Saginaw, Detroit, Ann Arbor, you know they talk about kitchen table.
Speaker 3: They say that phrase for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And actually before we started recording, I was talking to you about your hometown right now is not represented by a state senator. The governor is supposed to call a special election, but she hasn't done that yet. And I said, how do you feel about that? And you were like, you know, I don't think people there even realize. And that was such a good point because when you talk about kitchen table issues, people hear that term and they're like, what does that actually mean? I mean, people in Michigan want to know about jobs, they want to know about the economy. They want to figure out what's going to happen to bring those that money back into their own household.
Speaker 2: It's not about the bigger picture, I think, no.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just think that even when you get down to the arguments in the legislature, a lot of the issues that we know that you know, lawmakers know that they will need to pass once that deadline hits, they pass it. You know, we haven't had a governor shut down in Michigan sometimes. I mean, we'll see that this year with this upcoming state budget. But it's really interesting, you know, I think Matt Hall is a different kind of leader than we from Joe Tate a few months. Detroit's Joe Tate. He's a state rep in the first ever black House speaker. A lot of Democrats are looking back at that and wishing that they had a different House speaker.
Speaker 1: But you say that, and I think, let me explain a little bit about why I think you're saying that. I think at the end of not a lot happened. Not a lot of bills were passed during his time there. I think he faced a few challenges. He had a tie in the House for a while, so during his tenure he didn't have exactly the opportunity that people might have thought he had. But then at the end it was sort of a everything kind of exploded and there were these what is it, it's nine bills, right that didn't go to the governor.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, it was nine bill that were supposed to be sent to the governor to be signed that just didn't somehow end up getting sent. You know, current court battles are playing out to see whether or not those.
Speaker 3: Are going to be assigned and sent to the governor.
Speaker 4: But it's it's a really, you know, interesting thing that happened that Detroitter's were watching along where we had our Karen Witset State representative. She covers the west side of the city side with Matt Hall, really trash and disparage Joe Tait, who she hadn't had a reason to do do that before this lame Duck session. She was, you know, going for her own sort of Detroit agenda.
Speaker 2: I think that there's there is.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting because I was watching this happening obviously, and I think for it's that same thing that you just were talking about. People are concerned about their own personal life situation and they're like, I don't care about this. So she was kind of fighting on a few different fronts, I think water and then wanting to lower the cost of water for Detroit for people in her district.
Speaker 2: And then also this restaurant bill.
Speaker 1: So in Michigan, this bill passed that people are gonna the restaurants will have to pay minimum wage instead of the tipped wage, and then the tipped wage they think will go away. And there were a lot of there are a lot of restaurants that are very upset about this because it increases their cost and their servers are sometimes getting less money. So we actually had a group of restaurants on our side of the state that brought in five legislators, and to your point of people being out of touch, they just kind of I give them credit for sitting down with the restaurants, but the restaurant owners were begging them, please help us, please help us.
Speaker 2: And they were like, this is how it goes.
Speaker 1: It's you know, a battle, because we if we give this, they're going.
Speaker 2: To want that.
Speaker 1: And these people are like, I don't care about your political games. What are you going to do for the people. And I feel like that's kind of where we've gotten away from it in the government is realizing that everything that is passed in Lancing has a personal effect on someone's life, and they're not concerned with the games.
Speaker 2: They want to make sure they can feed their kids.
Speaker 4: They're not I mean, it's just political game after political gamesmanship. We watch over there and you know, guys, it's it really is either side of the aisle that you stand on. You know, there's things that lawmakers are going to deliver to their communities because if they didn't, they get voted right out because their communities are expecting them to do so.
Speaker 3: You know, I really think that you.
Speaker 4: Saw this past election, you know, a culmination of a few different things on the Democratic side, a few different things on the Republican side.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will never forget to it.
Speaker 4: Or John James at Lorenzo School's one any church talking about you know, Democrats are the party, are the Party of inclusion, are the party of diversity, and and you know fairness.
Speaker 3: He pointed out, it sounded like Minister fair account or something.
Speaker 4: John James, right, talking about your governor White, You're I mean a director white, your attorney general, your secretary of state white. I really do think that Republicans sort of leaned in. And you saw it with I Will load for Trump. You saw all these different communities rarely get behind Republicans in a way that we haven't seen in some time. Was that because maybe they leaned in a little bit to that, you know, diversity representation.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: On the other side, Democrats certainly leaned into the you know, we're going to keep the status quo. We're going to keep things how they are, and everything right now is great, nothing is wrong. The inability to sort of address reality.
Speaker 1: Well, and I do think to a certain extent there is that feeling that like the Democrats preached something and then you have Joe Biden on the ticket, and you think this is a lifelong politician who is a wealthy white man, you know, who seem to say that's not our jam, but it's the person They end up putting up and then the representation in Michigan in areas that are traditionally minority areas haven't been minority representation.
Speaker 2: And so I do think that.
Speaker 1: There has been kind of like a hey, what's going on because Democrats have been in control.
Speaker 2: But that aside, I mean, I think that we do.
Speaker 1: Get caught up in these social issues of is there fairness, is there a number of people here?
Speaker 2: Did they check all the boxes here?
Speaker 1: And I think Trump has been an interesting I mean Trump is always interesting because you know, he's not one to sit down and go I've got to check the boxes and I've got to make everything right. He's like, I've got to achieve a goal. I think he has very much a business mindset of achieving a goal. But in achieving that goal, he has put a lot of people in place that are very diverse and come from diverse backgrounds but also you know, diverse ethnic groups. And I don't think he was trying to do that. I think it just came together that way. But the message, I mean, I think when you look at what's going on in twenty six, because twenty six is going to be different, a different kind of race across the country, in all of these diff You know, I think we've got thirty six scubernatorial races across the country in twenty six in Michigan. We will have one in Michigan. Right now, there's kind of this battle over is Donald Trump doing the best thing for Michigan? And Democrats would say no and Republicans would say yes. And then the automakers came out yesterday and met with him and they said, well, we actually kind of like what Donald Trump is doing and we see a future here. But I think people are very nervous about what does it mean. We just saw I think six hundred and sixty people will be laid off in Dearborn because they're going to get rid of a factory there. What do you see from Southeast Michigan those folks saying what are their main concerns? Do they They've a lot of them voted for Trump that weren't expected to do. They like what he's doing. What do you think they want to see for the state.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting, you know, the UAW came out actually in support of tariff, saying we need to blame corporations if you know economic calamity ensues.
Speaker 3: You know, I hear that from a lot of workers, construction workers.
Speaker 4: My neighbor Tommy, who I play basketball with, he is a he works for Wallbridge, actually John Raccolta's company, and you know, he's sort of that style of economic populism where you're hearing people are are, you know, really against subsidizing tax incentive. You know, you talk about the SORE program as an economic tool to bring large scale manufacturing projects here.
Speaker 3: Like what's happening in Marshall Goshen. You know a lot of.
Speaker 4: People are wanting to see Michigan turn a page. Right Southeast Michigan has been reliant on the auto industry for the last you know, almost a century.
Speaker 3: Now, where are we going to go next?
Speaker 4: A lot of people are looking at ann Arbor as a potential to be sort of the Silicon Valley of the Midwest. The tech incubators that are over there. You got all the VC and startup money that's going on, and they're looking at connecting the region. Really, you saw in Lansing communities that were opting out of smart transit millages are no longer able to do so.
Speaker 3: Government resigned that law a few months back.
Speaker 4: That was a big priority for Wayne County Executive Warren Evans to try to convince the other communities that felt like in the past maybe they didn't need smart transit buses coming through now realizing, hey, you know.
Speaker 3: If we want to stay competitive, we need.
Speaker 4: To put our young residents in ann Arbor in downtown Detroit where the diversification of the economy is happening. Yeah, we're looking for different kinds of jobs. To answer your question, you give a long breath answer.
Speaker 1: We've got more coming up with Sam Robinson, but first I want to tell you about my partners at IFCJ.
Speaker 2: After more than a year of war, terror and pain.
Speaker 1: In Israel, the need for security essentials and support for first responders is still critical even in times of ceasefire. You guys have to understand Israel has to be prepared for the next attack wherever it may come from, because they've got enemies on all sides. The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews has supported and will continue to support the people of Israel with life saving security essentials. But your gift can help that. You can help save lives by providing bomb shelters, armored security vehicles, ambulances, firefighting equipment, black jackets and bullet profess so much more. This is what your generous donation today will provide to the people of Israel and ensure the people of Israel are safe and secure in the days to come. Give a gift to bless Israel and her people today by visiting SUPPORTIFCJ dot org.
Speaker 2: It's one word.
Speaker 1: It's easy to go to support IFCJ dot org, or you can call it's eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ. That's eight eight eight four eight eight if CJ eight eight eight four eight eight four three two five.
Speaker 2: Now stay tuned. We've got more. Right after this.
Speaker 1: I had somebody yesterday say to me, you know, I don't understand why we would put this semiconductor plant in a county that doesn't want the semiconductor plant. Why aren't we putting it in Detroit? And why aren't we putting it in in Flint? Why don't why don't we open up one of those old factories. And I was like, Okay, from the perspective of someone who had a factory, let me explain to you if I'm coming.
Speaker 2: Into the state of Michigan.
Speaker 1: First of all, the state of Michigan actually has laws that say once you buy a piece of property, it's not like you're you start new. You are responsible for everything that happened in the past.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: That's an immediate deterrent if I'm a factory owner, because that's a massive amount of cost every year that I have to pay for the sins of the past. You know, the state's not going to help. I'm taking this on my owner. I own the sins of the past. So there's not going to be a whole lot of motivation for a company to come in and take that on because the environmental cost is extreme. So you think about these regulations how they affect our communities that really do need those businesses, but they're they're moving people out, and then you think, well, I could also build up a whole new community. Everything builds around my factory. You know, I bring in a factory with high paying jobs, and we're talking about high paying hourly jobs. But then you know it's a big deal when you have different levels of income as well, because you've got your sales force, then you've got your managers there, and then you've got your presidents, and you've got your managers of the factories, and everybody has a different level that they're bringing to the community, and then your restaurants build up, and your schools build up, and all those things build up around it. So you have to kind of look at the state of Okay. If we want to build up our communities that used to be thriving in art anymore, is there a way to cut some of that regulation so we're not punishing people for going into those communities. But then how do we convince communities who have historically been farming communities, but maybe they are struggling and they do need some different types of industry in there to diversify their industry. How do we convince them that change is not a horrible thing. And I think that's something that we've been lacking. And maybe that's something that even from the legislature, from from the standpoint of you talked about all of the back and forth between Republicans and Democrats. Well, if it's something that your side is inherently against, maybe you can't go to your community, or you can't see how you go to your community and talk through this is actually a good thing. And I do think that the subsidies have been part of a problem. That problem and maybe this is getting blown up now with Doge because you see the government at the federal level and then the news every night talking about like we don't and we the taxpayers don't want to pay for all this this stuff and it has soor hasn't been successful because it hasn't built the jobs. So I can see how Michigan can be a powerhouse. But there has to be some coming together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there does. I think there's plenty of that going on right now. Obviously, you know, our mayor of Detroit is running for governor as an independent.
Speaker 3: His State of the City address it was sort of a victory lap.
Speaker 4: On Tuesday night, sort of a ten year highlight reel of what he has accomplished over.
Speaker 3: His tenure tutor. It's really interesting.
Speaker 4: I talked to Trump voters on the ground that tell me that they would vote for Doug in.
Speaker 3: I say, you know, Eric Nesbitt, John James.
Speaker 4: They say, no, we want John James to stay in Congress. I do think he would have success in a in a Republican governor royal primary. But yeah, it's it's very interesting when you talk about the Democratic candidates who don't have uh sort of the ten year decade run up of I save Detroit. Is what the pitch is going to be, not saying he did, but saying what he is going to say about his campaign and himself. We heard it last night, you know, and it's it's a it's a compelling pitch. It is one that no other candidate running for governor is.
Speaker 3: Going to be able to make.
Speaker 4: You're going to see Democrats like Alibus Farhak come out and say, you know, I'm open to voting for Dugan, certainly Karen Whitsett, who she's had a relationship with with Doug in over the years. But I'm curious to know, you know, what what Republicans are are kind of thinking, because when I asked people like Bill Shooty, g Shooty, he's my fellow Midland theer, you know, he tells me, no way, Sam, no way in How our Republicans going to support a guy that was just stumping for Kamala Harris and Joe Biden the year previously.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there, I mean, I think there's a lot of truth to that. I think there's a lot of people that go, well, wait a minute, you don't get to just leave your party because you think you can't beat Jocelyn Benson if you think you can't beat Jocelyn Benson, then how do you bail on your own party? And I get the whole like, well, I'm rebranding because I don't like the progressive side of the party, and I do think that they are kind of a metaphor for the party, the Democrat Party in general. Right now, if you look at the race for the Michigan governor's race, why would Duggan step out from his party unless he thinks that he can't beat Jocelyn And if he can't beat Jocelyn Benson, what is his argument going to be. Is it going to be that she is part of the progressive wing that people feel is out of touch with the average Democrat voter.
Speaker 2: So I think you're making a good point.
Speaker 1: He's going to come out and he's going to say, you know, we've done all of this in Detroit and hope that that registers with the rest of the state. I think that what you're hearing from Republicans is probably true. The rest of the areas that are Republican are not Detroit, you know, And so are those people going to say, well that you know that was important enough to me to say I'm going to vote against what I know his value set is because he has this record in Detroit, and if you if you are not fully connected to Detroit, if you're connected to grun Rapids, if you're connected.
Speaker 2: To Traverse City, if you're.
Speaker 1: In the up, then that may not be enough to say I'm going to go with someone who I know historically was a Democrat who did stump for Kamala Harris, who has has not shown the values that I think are Republican. And so I think it's kind of interesting to watch what's happening in Michigan. This is this is the ultimate split of the Democrat Party. So when does it come back together?
Speaker 2: And what?
Speaker 1: How does he defined Jocelyn Benson. How do you see him defining Jocelyn Benson in this race and saying he's better than her for some reason?
Speaker 3: Authenticity?
Speaker 4: Jocelyn Benson struggles connecting with with a you know, mass such a young black audience. I don't think her campaign would would argue with that, particularly when we see the response to Garland Gilchrist's campaign. We have not seen Jocelyn Benson. I mean I haven't personally, So if you guys have done it, I apologize Jocelyn Benson campaign. I haven't seen her stand in front of supporters yet. We've seen Chris Swanson do blowout people. I saw Garland Gilcrest in New Center here in Detroit do a big event, you know, with with a few hundred people. We have not seen Jocelyn Benson in front of standing with at an event with supporters.
Speaker 3: When she announced.
Speaker 4: You remember, I was actually the first one to report that her website went live and that she was in fact running for governor as expected.
Speaker 3: And the very next day, you know, hours after my report is published.
Speaker 4: She goes to the Richard Austin Building to officially file her candidate committee for governor and takes questions from reporters there. We haven't heard much though, in fairness to all of these campaigns, Tutor, it is still a year and you know, several months out, but that really hasn't stopped these campaigns. I mean, we're seeing Instagram stories from Jocelyn Benson, from Mike Duggan, from Chris Swanson reacting on the various things happening in Lansing and DC every day, and so they these campaigns are actively campaigning, how much money they're spending, you.
Speaker 3: Know, too early, I think to say yet, but.
Speaker 4: It's going to be interesting to see once we get closer to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I'm just hit the endless campaigning is getting annoying to people.
Speaker 4: It is. I mean, it's not annoying to us reporters who get to just you know, constantly be in the campaign season, but it is. I think, you know, the idea of getting out in front this early is just name recognition. You know Jocelyn They joke that she has eighty three campaign offices in each county. Mike Duggan obviously has all of Fox two, Channel four, the Metro Detroit. You know, he's being blasted to five and a half million people every day. And then Chris Swanson has his you know, when you drive to Lansing, at least from where I am, you see.
Speaker 3: His billboards for his ghost operation on.
Speaker 4: It's like a sex trafficking operation that he is deployed. I suppose I should know more about Chris Swanson's ghost program, but he's up there in Jesse County, so down here in Detroit, man, he's got some work to do in terms of catching up, and he's not shy about it.
Speaker 3: I've talked to him at length already I'm still looking.
Speaker 4: To get get my twenty minutes, you know, in person or on the phone with Jocelyn Garland gave all the reporters ten minutes over the phone a couple.
Speaker 3: Of days before they launch. Yeah, so I mean they're still connecting with us.
Speaker 4: That was the big thing with with Kamala Harris's campaign that the campaign themselves even said guys, you have to talk to local media, and they just refuse to do so, I think.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about the podcast circuit that Trump went on. Do you think that that helped him? Because I do think there's a difference. I mean, you talked about me taking questions, but you get you get a minute to answer and then they clip what they want and they put it out there. Yes, was different because he went on these long form podcasts. And I think he's also unique in that he can say things.
Speaker 2: And still live through them.
Speaker 3: But yes he can. He can because they clipped him, they asked him.
Speaker 4: I think it was Alex Friedman's podcast where he sort of admitted that the election wasn't stolen, but then sort of backtracked and said that it was.
Speaker 3: And so, you know, the long form.
Speaker 4: Podcasts have the opportunity to get stuff that you wouldn't get. We just saw Lebron James do do an hour long with Pat McAfee yesterday on ESPN.
Speaker 3: You know, Lebron doesn't go on stephen A.
Speaker 4: Smith, He's not going on Sports Center after every you know, so to get the president doing these it was almost a little bit surreal at first, especially for the younger audiences, Like we're watching podcasts every day. We're watching all these guys, you know, the THEO Bonds or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know he would do.
Speaker 4: He did Aiden Ross, you know, like he stopped shy of Kay Sinnett and I Show Speed, you know, but the streamers.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's like a whole new world we're going in.
Speaker 4: I think it wasn't so much of that he went on the podcast. It was his campaign's openness and just really willingness to go to space. Is that they didn't have control of and Karma's Democrats in mass right now, if they do not.
Speaker 3: Have control of the media space, they don't go on it.
Speaker 1: And I think that is it is a very scary thing to go into a place where you have no control because anything can happen and then you know, if you've run for office, you know that you are just you're destroyed, right.
Speaker 2: The one thing you have is your reputation.
Speaker 1: And I think that anybody would tell you that your reputation is very important to you, no matter who you are, no matter what age you are. If your reputation is ruined, it's very demoralizing. But he was willing to go out there and say what else can.
Speaker 2: They do to me?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean, he's kind of like that guy where it's like, I've been ruined in every sense of the word. I'm going to show them who I really am. Now I'm at the point where I can only show them who I am. And I think people who get to know him, a lot of people, not everybody, but a lot of people went actually, actually, I kind of like it. He seems sort of like a normal person. And if you get that opportunity to sit down with people and say, well, I want to hear what you have to say. I want to hear what is what the worst thing is that's happening to you right now? How can I help you? You learn whether or not the person actually wants to help you, or whether or not the person just wants that position, and I do think there is a lot of that in politics.
Speaker 2: I want the title. I want the title. But you talk about controlled.
Speaker 1: Environments, and you said you haven't been able to talk to Jocelyn Benson. She has done events, but they've been closed. So what does that say.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a book out of the you know, Whitmer playbook. After the kidnapping, the I and Tapman, however you want to spin.
Speaker 4: The story, her staff or office staff became much more sensitive to giving out where events would be, you know, you know, in fairness to her security and safety. But it would creep on and on and on, and you know, sometimes we'd be like, oh, you're inviting us to this thing six in the morning, and the thing is at ten thirty or eleven am. It's like, you know, our the ABC news staff is over there in seven and you drive away on the Lansing.
Speaker 3: So that kind of thing would happen, you know.
Speaker 4: I just think that, you know, I think Democrats can start talking more people honestly and more openly.
Speaker 1: But I don't know that it's just I think that it seems like it's just Democrats because the commander in chief was very open you know, we just came off of that Trump campaign, and he was very open versus I want to tell you about my newest partners at gen Usel, Ladies and gentlemen. It is a great story. It's heartwarming and refreshing, and it's true. This woman named Phyllis, she walked into a neighborhood pharmacy in Colonia, New Jersey, and she asked for the pharmacists to make her an antioxidant cream for her wrinkles, which I think we can all kind of understand. And the pharmacist, well, I'll compound one for you and then come back and you can get it tomorrow. So Phyllis came back and she used it for three days. Then she goes to her dermatologists appointment and the doctor literally thought she got work done because she looked so good. So Phyllis went out and told everybody about the pharmacy and the pharmacist who made this magical cream, and then, believe it or not, that is how Genucell's skincare was born. That's twenty five years ago, and now Genucell has shipped millions of orders and they still have the same philosophy about the antioxidants they have the same natural base, and they have the same chef in the kitchen. They are celebrating twenty five years and I tell you, I use this product. I think it's amazing. And right now Genucell is offering the best prices ever since Phyllis walked into George's pharmacy all those years ago. Because right now you can save seventy percent on Genucell's complete skin care package featuring the Genucell under eyebags and puffin a serum. I'm using that the dark Spot corrector. Also love that you get these results in minutes. You look five, ten, even fifteen years younger. And I'm not trying to brag, but honestly, I have seen changes in my face that amaze me. So these changes are guaranteed or your money back. That's the best part. So go to jenucell dot com slash dixon today. That's Jennycell dot com slash dixon, and I can tell you you're not going to regret it. We have seen where there's been on these town halls where Republicans have been attacked in the town halls, and so they've shied away from town halls. Now, I think a lot of these are also unfair because they've done it while Republicans are in session, and then they put the seed up in all he wouldn't come.
Speaker 2: Well, he's in Washington, you.
Speaker 1: Know, he does have a job. So some of them are unfair. But I do think that that people are uncomfortable in a situation where they don't know if they're going to be attacked and humiliated and put on the spot. And so I think that as politics have gone back to more of that. You know, there was a time when it was you.
Speaker 2: You were only what.
Speaker 1: The media said about you, you know, and there wasn't somebody recording you around every corner. So these last ten years have really changed because there's someone tracking you, and there's someone trying to catch you on camera, and anything that you say that can be interpreted the wrong way. It can be deadly to you, but not just to your campaign. It's like forever, you know. I mean, I order on the Starbucks app and I'm like, my name is on there, what are they going to think of me? I went into Kedova yesterday and the guy was like, oh, I like your outfit.
Speaker 2: What do you do for a living?
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, I'm a podcaster and he said, is it what's the topic? Is there like a topic and I said it's politics and he was like, oh, are you affiliated with like a party or.
Speaker 2: Or just politics in general?
Speaker 1: And I said I'm a Republican and he went oh.
Speaker 2: But he goes, you know what, I'll listen to it anyway, so write it down.
Speaker 4: I was like, Okay, all right, hopefully he's listening out to it over but I like Chipotle a little bit.
Speaker 1: But I know, well, we don't want to insult him. He's already struggling to come over to the Republican podcast side, but I did. I said, I'll come back and see what you think of it. So I don't know, we'll see.
Speaker 3: We're listening to a lot of conservative podcasts. I've been listening to the people that they tell me how to listen to.
Speaker 4: You know, I grew up liking Kanye's music, so I you know, I still kind of am the Russell Westbrook meme eating the chips listening to his new music as they tell me not to.
Speaker 3: It's really important. I think Gavin Newsome and Steven A. Smith and all these.
Speaker 4: Left of center guys bringing on the conservatives. It's Magan for interesting conversations. You know, I really think that we're more we're all humans, like we're all Americans, we're all Michiganders.
Speaker 1: We're not as far apart as people.
Speaker 4: And a lot of times it's like you're you know, really close together, actually on on on issues that the majority of people are against. And now we think about we go back to the conversations about economic developed and subsidy and tax capture. Mike Duggan calls it a discount, which is a really good right way to frame it so people.
Speaker 3: Will support, you know, allow large.
Speaker 4: Companies and billionaires get discounts on the tax revenues generated off large projects.
Speaker 3: And the buildings that they build. Tuoter.
Speaker 4: You know, I do wonder though, as Democrats were arguing with me over tipped wage. You know, you want to take the side of the worker. You want to take the side of you know, unpaid leave. What happens, you know, if all these small businesses are no longer to say, well, if if the business can't afford to pay somebody a living wage, then that doesn't sound.
Speaker 3: Like a business to me.
Speaker 4: And I asked them, I asked them, well, do you just want Amazon and Jeff Bezos land and target, you know, like we because those are the going to be the many people that are able to provide the you know, forty hours sickly even and these these benefits, and so a lot of the issues really just horseshoe right back into.
Speaker 3: The other you saw.
Speaker 4: Dylan Wegelaw and Steve Kara introduced legislation that I'm not sure what the status legislation is, but to ban lawmakers signing no discussion agreements when crafting legislation.
Speaker 3: Likes sore, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then you don't as a taxpayer, you don't if they have a non disclosure, then you don't know what your money is going to. But let me just I know I'm getting I'm a little over time, but I want to get to this because I want to ask your opinion. You have Doug In saying that these big corporations are getting discounts. That's a nice way of saying that they aren't paying taxes, which seems odd because all I keep hearing from Democrats is.
Speaker 2: We're going to raise the corporate tax rate because you have to pay your fair share.
Speaker 1: But then the corporations that have lots of money are getting a tax break. Mom and pop who owned the restaurant are getting screwed.
Speaker 3: I mean, they everything.
Speaker 4: Would say, don't group me in with those Democrats. I'm not a Democrat anymore. You got to ask you them.
Speaker 1: Well, but okay, regardless, it doesn't matter party, because I agree. I think that these corporations have gotten tax breaks for a long time, but it hasn't worked in the state. You know, if you look at it, our main street is dead, and then you've got these big corporate entities that are kind of like sucking off the teat of Michigan. And there's not going to be any more people to suck off of if every little small business can't survive anymore. And when we talk about you know, it's funny because the paid leave. I was like, what are the small businesses who aren't paying paid leave? And I was out at at lunch one day and this woman said, I work for Consumers, And another lady looked at her and she said, oh, you must love it there. You get such great benefits. And she said, I'm only in my fourth year, so I don't get benefits. And I said, what do you mean And she said, they don't hire you on as a full time employee until you're fifth year, so I'm a contractor. And I was like, oh my gosh, you're the person. You're the person who doesn't get paid leave, You're the person that doesn't get insurance. This is no health and no benefits at all.
Speaker 2: And I was like, the people who are are paying politicians.
Speaker 1: Here, You've got this big corporate entity who is not actually hiring people on And it was like this moment where I thought, that is so upsetting to hear that this big corporation is skirting its responsibility of giving its employees the.
Speaker 2: Benefits that they deserve.
Speaker 1: And you've got mom and pop restaurant next door who's saying, Hey, I have girls that work here on a Friday and Saturday night and they make eighty dollars an hour and they don't have to work the rest of the week and their husband's work and they can stay home with the kids during the week. And now they won't make eighty dollars an hour because they're going to be at this capped wage. Consequences. But when unintended consequences happen, then we have to come together. And we're so divided.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think that.
Speaker 4: In Michigan we tend to come together more than we don't know. I mean, I know am grateful for the folks that make that happen. It's interesting out here where we you know, go left, we go right. But at the end of the day, we're all just people in the world living.
Speaker 1: So that's why I wanted to have you on because I'm like, oh, he seems really genuine.
Speaker 2: Like I think when you put stuff out it's you.
Speaker 3: I try to be honest.
Speaker 4: And that's the biggest thing is, you know, the Detroit one million we're talking about a generation of Michigan is growing up in a state without a city with a million people.
Speaker 3: If you look at it map of the United.
Speaker 4: States, you'll see the cities or the states rather that have cities of a million people, the states that don't tell the story. Detroit is the only city in America, Tutor, to ever lose a million people. Doing it all from first person perspective, talking to you, do you know, competing with the free press and the news and gong were and mers for you know, Lancing News, City Council, Detroit scoops.
Speaker 3: Doing it in a way Tutor, that's just here. I am.
Speaker 4: I'm Sam Robinson, the first person you're gonna, you know, hear my voice, hear the things that I think about when you know people are talking. And I really think that's the future is being really honest about where you are doing news.
Speaker 3: You know, be honest about your own biases.
Speaker 2: What is Detroit one million? Tell people what exactly it is.
Speaker 4: It's my own website dot com Detroit one million. You know, it's a journalism project that I started in December really only because the free per of the news didn't want my Mary Sheffield went to a Trump party story and I knew that was gonna be a big thing in Detroit. Mary Sheffield is our city council president. She is running for mayor. Some would say she is the lead. She's the front runner to become the mayor this fall in Detroit to replace Dougan.
Speaker 3: She went to a holiday party that was Trump themed.
Speaker 4: Person that hosts the party every year as an annual holiday party put on by an event planner here in Measure, Detroit.
Speaker 3: She decided to go to the party.
Speaker 4: I didn't have anywhere else to publish it, so I decided to go on substack Onto substack man. A lot of us laid off and sort of disaffected journalists are landing on substack and realizing that they're taking care of us.
Speaker 3: It's been really fun. I appreciate everyone that has signed up so far. Truly, Guys like.
Speaker 4: You're literally allowing for news and information to be distributed to you in a way that if you were not supporting it, it wouldn't exist. And so it's been a surreal feeling so far. And that's what I tell people. I say, it's kind of like a Detroit version of Mercer Going, or kind of an insidery thinking about young people. I'm always centering young people in the stories and thinking about the future. So we're going to talk about AI and crypto and all of the things that people that are under thirty or even under forty, born after nineteen seventy five even might be able to appreciate, because you know, you know, it's sort of this gerontocracy that we live in. The news is paid for by that garontoxy.
Speaker 3: The people that are senior.
Speaker 2: Even old people like me, could find something there.
Speaker 3: They all tutor You can find plenty at Detroit one million. It really is.
Speaker 4: I try to take an interesting look at these stories that are the biggest stories in Michigan, polity.
Speaker 1: So how do people They sign up at the website and then that they can support you financially too, right, they can.
Speaker 3: It's eight dollars a month.
Speaker 4: There's a founding member version where you can get but eight dollars a month is all you need to get behind the paywall. Some of the stories that I do a weekly free read is a roundup of everything in the world, not just politics, but pop culture and sports as well, and taking a look at what's going on across Michigan, you know, all over the state, not just Detroit, but really reframing Detroit as like the cultural center of the state.
Speaker 3: Which you know, I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I went.
Speaker 1: I was there for my daughter's basketball or volleyball tournament a few weeks ago, and I was on the people mover and I was like, I mean, there is so much cool stuff that people don't know about. So I think that's what's critical and that's really what draws me to you. So for anybody out there, I think that you would really enjoy it. Detroit one million if you go there, because this is someone Sam is someone who is doing this because it's genuine. He loves the city, he loves getting the message out. He loves the state and that's why I want to have you on. So I want to say thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. All strikes too.
Speaker 4: It's a nonpartisan you know, we're not going to put on my own political spin and bias on it.
Speaker 3: Which we all know that all reporters have.
Speaker 4: We can stop pretending that reporters don't have personal, you know, feelings on issues. They do, but that's not in there. Tudor, thank you so much for having me on your show.
Speaker 2: Here absolutely okay.
Speaker 1: Remember it's Sam Robinson, It's Detroit one million. Thank you so much, Thanks Judor, and thank you all for listening to the Tutor Dixon Podcast.
Speaker 2: For this episode and others.
Speaker 1: Go to Tutor dixonpodcast dot com, the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts and join us next time. Have a blessed day.