Speaker 1: And now move my mic back. You're like that.
Speaker 2: You can strike with waters from headquarters behind.
Speaker 1: Him to be the border if you're just to a Minnesivic cipher.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Ramsys joh I'm your co host q Ward.
Speaker 1: This indeed, Uh, we got a lot more to talk about. We're not done with Jalen Walker, but we do want to talk about the shooting over last weekend, Fourth of July weekend and uh kind of delve a little bit more into how things are handled differently when I mean when it's black and white, you may as well say that. So stick around. We're gonna peel back some layers there. I'm excited to talk about that. Also our way Black History. In fact, we're gonna delve into the history of the Fourth of July itself and talk a little bit about when it was a black holiday. How about that, Maggie b Knowing our show producer unearthed a little nugget for us here, So stick around for that way Black History factor. First, let's discuss Baba becoming a better ally? Shall we shall? This one is sponsored by Hip Hop Weekly Magazine. Shout out to them, They really look out for us here on this show, which By the way, a lot of great things happening for the show. I want to make it a point to drop our cash app and our zell and our Patreon. It's all at Civic Cipher. You can support the show. Obviously, this is a lot of work to do the show, but we don't mind doing it. It's the growing the show part that is kind of challenging, and everyone that supports fiscally really helps us to take advantage of that. Now, Maggie this week wants us to becoming better ally by not just being an ally but being an advocate. And being an advocate basically is kind of going above and beyond just kind of supporting, you know, with your words, but actually supporting with your actions, not just being empathetic, right, but actually creating the change. So, the way she explains is that you want to perform things or do things rather that can be performed in action across a wide spectrum and variety of channels. She asks us, can you provide mentoring, small business, consulting, graphic design, where client service training, legal or advocacy assistance. Can you share some advice or time with someone with a group, with an organization that you normally wouldn't in efforts to collectively challenge the status quo and dismantle oppressive and harmful institutions and systems, some of which we identified earlier in the program. As she puts it, kind of like what you said to Please don't just empathize with us. Please don't just feel bad for us. Please help us create lasting and meaningful change. So this week, that is how you can become a better ally. All right, back to the lecture at hand. All right, So let's talk a bit about the shooting over the weekend in Chicago at the parade suburb of Chicago. Suburb of Chicago. It wasn't like hyrax Chicago, right, You.
Speaker 3: Get enough of that right In our Black on Black Crime section.
Speaker 1: Please stop saying not UQ. For those of you out there in the world, if you hear black on black crime as a term being said in a conversation, please yourself stop using it, and please tell other people to stop using It's not a real thing, and it is literally a false narrative that we have been trying our best to overcome, among others that we've actually overcame or are still overcoming, but done lots of work, but that one is just kind of like a zombie and it won't die. Black on black crime is not a thing. Crime happens with people that are close to you, and people that are close to you often look like you. Meaning of white people kill white people, which is often the case. There is no term called white on white crime that we can point to and say, see, this is what white people always do. But that black on black crime thing allows these oppressive systems to continue to put the blame on us rather than to really identify and deal with the source of a lot of these systemic issues again the economic equality, inequality, etc. Sorry sidebar, but I felt like it was a teachable moment. Do you want to tell the story about what happened in Chicago? Should I?
Speaker 3: I'll let you tell it. Tell it because I have a lot to say and I don't want to all right, get us off track.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of various Yeah, understand, I'm with you, all right. So here's what we're doing. Long and short of it is mass shooting. As as you mentioned, it's a suburb of Chicago Fourth of July parade. Families are outside enjoying the parade, go down their main street or whatever the name of that street was, but they're you know, the main artery in their suburb, traffic artery, I should say. So the videos, of course, are people filming the parade.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You can kind of see what's going on. There's people playing the trumpet, marching that sort of stuff, and you hear shots go off, you know, and it kind of gives you a glimpse in of what happened in a lot of these other mass shootings and how it works because in this one you can actually see and here the shots going off. Most people are not filming in classrooms, people aren't filming in the grocery stores, you know, but people are filming the parade, so you can kind of get a sense of how slow people are to respond to the shots.
Speaker 3: Takes a second to realize what's.
Speaker 1: Happening, right, and then it's a slow response when people start responding, because some people are trying to help the people who have been hit, and then some people are not trying to help and they're trying to leave. And then the people across the street are like, well, what's going on over there? Is it a fight? Is it? You know what I mean? And so they're sitting they're dumbfounded, like, well, what are they doing? They're in a good day, specifically with the fourth of July? Are those fireworks exactly exactly so? And then there's drums and all kinds. You know, that's sort of you know, guns. Your brain will tell you whatever fits the narrative, what your eyes are seeing, you know what I mean. But anyway, these folks hear these shots go off and then of course start running away. Suspect he wore a disguise, he was dressed as a woman, got on a roof, shot everybody up left. And the thing that we need to talk about here is of course the fact that he was apprehended, which was also on video, stopped by police, a bunch of police behind the car. They found it. Well, great clean police. I need to say that, Yeah, he was fleeing the police. He was doing the same the other story that walker.
Speaker 3: He was fleeing.
Speaker 1: Yep, same thing. Okay. I just wanted to okay, make sure we okay cool apples and then apples, right, yes, so that's what? Okay?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: So yeah, uh, this guy they knew killed people by this time, knew it for certainly, you didn't violate any traffic line, nothing, like that killed people again, Jalen. Perhaps he had a gun for whatever reason. It's not illegal, but for whatever reason, the police try to engage. He's like, oh my god, I'm a black man with a gun in my car. This is a bad look. Does he try to dismantle the gun? Does he you know, does it go off by accident? Who knows? He'll never get to say that story. And he's fleeing because he's terrified because maybe if he shot the gun accidentally or whatever, Now he's even more afraid. He puts on a ski mask to try to conceal his identity, books it into the night, trying his best to get away from what he believes to be an absolute certainty. These people are going to kill me. And initially I was just like kind of thinking that they might let me see if I conduct this. Now I know it for a fact. I'm out, boom gone dead. Back to the Chicago shooter. We don't try to Illinois to keep saying Chicago guys, Illinois, thank you, park Illinois. But we don't say the mass shooter's name is because we work in media and we're doing our part to not turn these guys into heroes. So this scumbag. We'll call him scumbag. How about that? You know the police get behind him. Of course he's trying to get away. They get behind him, he gets out of his car. Is the police approach the car, take him without incident, without further incident. They know he's armed, they know he's dangerous, they know he's a killer. And he just killed somebody, right, they knew exactly what they were looking for.
Speaker 3: It's running away because he just killed us.
Speaker 1: That right, And guess what, that guy is alive and breathing. He can explain his heinous actions to his family.
Speaker 3: When says Judge, alive and breathing, he doesn't mean because he survived something. They didn't beat him up, they didn't shoot him, they didn't shoot at him. So I don't want you guys to think he also got shot and then just yes, survive. No, he's unheased, fine, and have a bruise on his body from what I could tell from the footage of them kind of apprehending him.
Speaker 1: And we see this all the time with these mass shooters, and let's be honest, there's an association, and we identified part of this in the first half of the show. There's an association with black men and fear when it comes to guns or black men in fear period.
Speaker 3: And Rams isn't being hyperbolic, by the way when he says, we see this all the time with these mass literally the basis of the show. There have been more mass shootings this year than days by almost double. One of those mass shooters was killed. He was surprisingly not white. I'll just let that sit with you because I said it on purpose, because it means something.
Speaker 1: Now, not only is there this overwhelming fear associated with black people, and you know they were associated with violence and that sort of stuff unfairly by the way, those are called prejudices, right, but the way that the police interact with black bodies is hurtful, infuriating. It is incredibly unsettling. And when you see the grace given to a Dylan Roof which I said his name on purpose because we reference him a lot. He's a person that shot up a church and theyre took him to Burger King after they arrested him.
Speaker 3: And to make sure that he wasn't hungry because you've been through a lot today, had a rough day. They said, right, you had a rough day. We gotta make sure that you eat some burger king, Let's get you something to eat. Man, Come on right, you hungry kid. I know you got stressed out. Heard your stomach growling. Maybe maybe you're not comfortable. You want to number one? No, no, onion. Can you cut that in half for him?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: We want to make sure he gets it in his way because he's having a rough day to day.
Speaker 1: It's not funny because he went into church and ended nine lives, black lives, people praying, people.
Speaker 3: Are welcoming into I'm hoping that sounds ridiculous and not funny, but that actually happens.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous, that happened, true, that happened to him. And then of course with this young man in Highland Park again taken in without incident. In other words, no harm when the body is not black, but there is often harm when it comes to police interacting with black bodies. And so there's some people that will say, look and you know, the police should have done treated you know, everyone the same way they treat black people. There's some people that say police should treat everyone the same way they treat white people. But in either case, the police should treat everyone the same. Right, I think every the police should treat everyone in the way they treat white folks. That's what I think, you know what I mean, because I believe that the police often overstep and we see some of our white brothers and sisters become victims of police brutality. Remember we did that story about the handicap man was he was deaf and I think it was in a wheelchair too, and he couldn't hear and couldn't move or something. It was the story maybe a year and a half ago, something like that. But you know, he was not a black man, but the police just beat him up and put him in a jail for how many months before he even got a chance to talk to the judge. This doesn't happen to just us, but it happens to us more frequently, and we cant to systemic issues and so we don't want to.
Speaker 3: It's also a bit more the outcomes are a bit more extreme. Yeah, that literally multiple times more fatal when the victims in the bodies are black, right like with regard to how they view us, how they see us in the way that we're criminal by Melanin Melon. Guilty by Jalen Walker, shot at ninety times sixty bullet wounds, handcuffed after the fact. I just really need you guys to digest that. Yeah, black bodies, he's very dead, very there's no chance he's alive. There's no chance he's still a threat. We still need to handcuff this guy so that it's clear that he's a criminal and a bad person. And like, it has to take something beyond fearing for your life to place handcuffs on a course that you just murdered.
Speaker 1: Well, this is our reality, and you know there's something else I want to share it with you. Obviously, this is you know, the show in general, it is a tough show to listen to day in and day out, but we do our best to inform and you know, maintain as positive an outlook as we can. But I want to ask you to think about something for me. Please, as a listener of the show, I want you to think about this. Every single other black person that wakes up in this country knows what we've just talked about. Mass shooters that actually killed me. We know that it happened, eye witnesses everything, They know exactly what they're looking for it. I got the a be out with the photo. This is who this is our person of interest blah blah blah versus a traffic stop. Every black person knows what we just talked about. You know, how do black people feel when this is our reality? How do we feel? What do we think our lives are worth to this country? To the police. You know, there's why don't black people ever talk to the police? You know, it's a real thing. Why don't black people trust me? Why? You know, the police are trying to engage with this impoverished community, but you know they're not getting a lot of help. Only a couple of pastors, but the well, the police have a lot of rebuilding to do because our reality suggests to us that outcomes are often worse for you if you are melanated. And when the news blows this stuff up. You said it happens daily, the mass shootings, right, I mean, I don't know more than daily.
Speaker 3: Equate it right, There's been three hundred mass shootings in the country this year, a dozen over the holiday weekend. We're at day of one and eighty or something like that. We're about halfway through the year. There have been more mass shootings than days, so more than every day on average.
Speaker 1: We have a gun problem.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We need to redo that episode. But again, what I want you to ponder is how does it feel to wake up in America and be black? How does it feel to be black and have the police interact with you. We're not talking about political stuff right now. We're talking about ground level stuff, humans that have to go on about their lives and interact with you know, the world. We already know that the criminal justice system targets, actively targets black men. That doesn't mean if they if they catch you slipping, you know, no, they will invent it. We've seen it happen some of our friends who protest and some activists. As soon as they get on the streets, they are targeted specifically, they know who they are. They get them over something and they trump up all the charges and then they're in the system. Right, But this is a thing that happens, you know what I mean. The police will grab you, try their best to find something wrong. They start with the assumption you're doing something wrong, and if they can't find anything, sometimes they actually make it up. You know, I'm not saying they make it up, but they make it up. Right where if you had not been a black man, then obviously that jaywalking is you know what I mean. Come on. So the crazy thing is that now we've done hundreds of these stories, literally hundreds of them, and so no one can come here and tell me that I'm not wrong, because now we have our own system here, we have our own database here. Right. But it's very telling that we see week in and week out, the way we are engaged as black people relative to non black people, we see outcomes that are very different. You know, we had our conversation with doctor Westernberg recently. We recognize that the abortion, the overturning of Roe v. Way by the Supreme Court has at least a leg in racist belief in ideology, and it disproportionately affects black women because equomen get abortions at higher rates. And there's reasons for that, you know. But the fact is is that almost it's blows my mind. It blows my mind because I grew up thinking, Okay, racism exists, you got to keep a lookout for it, you know what I mean, and when you see it, you have to be prepared to deal with it. That's what I grew up thinking. When I became an adult, I realized that everything, everything is rooted in racism, like the whole sum total of it all. How in the world did they get this off for so long and bury it well because there was no need to, because because it's not just based in racism, it's based in white supremacy. There it is so.
Speaker 3: When you can convince even those being oppressed that those they are being oppressed with are their enemies, and they will vote, they will organize, they will march, and they will pursue their own dismay, their own horrible circumstances. They will hold up a system that oppresses them because it's oppressing their enemies. Right, make the supremacy of the whiteness the catalyst for their union.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 3: We've discussed at length. They are not the majority. The oppressors are not the majority, it's not even close. But they have convinced so many of the oppressed that they're on the same team that they help builders and boaster the system that not only holds us down but themselves. Right, we're the only nation where our champions, our Olympians, our people that represent our country are booed in our country as people cheer the champions and athletes from other countries because they're also white We don't care that you're an American like us, you're not white like us. We don't care that you're poor like us, you're not white like us. We don't care that you have all these disadvantages like us.
Speaker 1: Right, the amount of women who voted for the people who just supported what happened with Roe v. Wade, Those women are mostly white women who identify with their oppressors.
Speaker 3: Right, that patriarchy.
Speaker 1: They support it as well, even though it oppresses them as.
Speaker 3: Well, so they never had to hide it.
Speaker 1: There's too many people that benefit from it or that think they benefit from it, so they've never had to disguise it.
Speaker 3: They put the system in place a long time ago. It has functioned remarkably.
Speaker 1: Actively, and this is what we're talking about here on the show.
Speaker 3: And then they make us have these conversations from a position of bias. Of course, you guys.
Speaker 1: Think that, yeah, like we're complaining being treated bad because you know, people, we don't create these stories. They're happening in front of you on camera. You don't even have to use your imagination. But we are put in this position, As you said, how dare you complain about this wonderful country that allows you right, You guys heard me get upset while we read a letter last week as this man told us the country allowed you understand, let me let me share something. Just so you know, it might have been twenty thirteen, twenty twelve, somewhere in there you and I wanted to do a show together on the radio about relationships. Yeah, we did. That would have been the coolest showld have been so fun. We would have had so many jokes.
Speaker 3: Goodness.
Speaker 1: We're doing this show because it's necessary. So we don't want you to think that this is we like this which is necessary. We like the time, and of course we like to the growth. But left our own devices and not having to live a black life, maybe our program might feel a little different. Moving on, it's time for the way Black History Effect. This one is also brought to you by Hip Hop Weekly Magazine, and this one comes from the Black Information Network. There's my guys over there. So the title is Parades Recitals in More when July fourth was a Black holiday. Wow, I know July fourth is past. But the way the show works, you know, we have to talk about certain things in a certain order. We have to get to stuff this pressing. So I know our timeline isn't always the way we want it to be, but there's a reason for it. We're trying to prioritize what we need to prioritize. It was also never a wrong time to talk about history. Very good, Okay, I'll take that now, I'll read. July fourth, or Independence Day, is usually marked with cookouts, barbecues, fireworks, and all types of celebrations. As the day Americans formally claimed their independence after a war with Great Britain, it is considered the best time for US citizens to show off their patriotism. For Black Americans, it can bring mixed feelings reminders of how some of the United States's early successes was built off the backs of their enslaved ancestors. As a result, some Black Americans choose to celebrate June teenth, a now federal holiday that highlights the emancipation of black slaves. It was a time in American history, however, where the fourth of July was a time where it was considered a black holiday and a time to celebrate black freedom following the Civil War. To understand this, we need to take a walk back into history. On July fifth, eighteen fifty two, renowned abolitionist Frederick Douglass spoke to a mostly white crowd in Rochester, New York. Shout out to our affiliate in Rochester, New York, which is called oh WXR one hundred point nine FM. I didn't want to get that wrong anyway. In a speech, he talked about how black people were excluded from basic services, amenities, and even the Declaration of Independence and various laws in the country. Therefore, a black person is excluded from the celebration of Independence day. Quote what to the American slave is your fourth of July? A day that reveals to him more than all other days of the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim In quote, Douglas explained, adding that he felt much the same quote, I am not included within the pale of this glorious anniversary. This fourth of July is yours, not mine. Quote. This would this would consolidate the feelings of both enslaved and freed black people before the Civil War, culminating in a new sentiment after the bloody conflict. When the four year war ended in eighteen sixty five, things began to look more hopeful for black people. The emancipation proclamation was signed by President Abraham Lincoln and Abraham Lincoln, newly freed slaves embraced this new reality. Not only that, but defeated Confederates weren't in the mood to take part in July four celebrations for years. As a result, black people decided to ascribe new meaning to the Independence Day, a celebration of freedom from slave. Parades, feasts, and martial displays by black militia groups would mark these celebrations, drawing thousands together. Black people were also encouraged to contribute to their communities, such as building schools and churches quote mutual aid. Groups like the Sons of Ham and the Daughters of Zion organized events featuring long standing Black American traditions like barbecue and late night dancing. According to Jay Store, black people would have big gatherings in various cities, from Mobile, Alabama, in Miami, Florida, to Charleston, South Carolina, and Washington, d c. They were so popular and momentous it began to grate the nerves of disgruntled white Southerners. For decades, white Southern politician worked to quash these Black celebrations of liberty through segregation laws. And even violence. Some cities would gradually push out traditional celebration locations, while others published statements delegitimizing black people's claim to the holiday. Quote. African American families and friends continued to meet in more informal gatherings in the city, but by the early nineteen hundreds, both Charleston and Atlanta had forbidden vendors from setting up foodstalls along the streets where black residents had long congregated on the fourth, The Atlantic wrote. Eventually, the commemoration of July fourth as a day for black liberty mostly faded across black generations. Today, some black people celebrate the holiday as most Americans do, or they celebrate Juneteenth. Others take the holiday to reflect on America's history, have discussions, or even participate in demonstrations against racial disparities. Since Juneteenth has garnered more traction. Who knows if July fourth will go back to beating both a day for American patriotism and Black liberty. Oh yeah, there's our way black history fact certainly something I knew nothing about.
Speaker 3: First of all, shout out to cookouts, barbecues and fireworks, and we talk to them.
Speaker 1: I love all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a question that doesn't ever really have to be answered. And you know, maybe the rest of our lifetime on this place, we will watch this come to be. But I wonder will we stagnate the growth, popularity and full on celebration of Juneteenth ourselves by holding on to it so tight, by protecting it? And I did you know air quotes for people who can't see me, Because I feel like that holidays should shoot to the moon. I think it should shoot out into the atmosphere and be celebrated vigorously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's celebrating brand new, commercialized black holiday, come with its obstacles. I hope that we do not wrap it in so much red tape and hold on to it so tight that we stop it from becoming the momentous and grossly celebratory day that it should be. Well, we certainly have case precedent for huge celebrations, and now that we have this history for the fourth of July, lets us know that this is not a new thing. This is not a novel thing. You know, we've been celebrating even before Juneteenth. We've been celebrating since the end of the Civil War. And we know that a lot of those Southerners early on didn't even really appreciate the Fourth of July, and US black folks did so a lot. To keep in mind there, I love your point about taking Juneteenth and running it all the way up.
Speaker 3: Is it you think it's too close to the Fourth of July and because it's celebrated in much the same way that that may diminish it a bit?
Speaker 1: No, because it's Juneteenth is first boom. All right, but that's gonna do it for us today here on Civic Cipher. So once again, I am your host, Rams's job.
Speaker 3: I'm your co host. I go by the name Qward.
Speaker 1: No, man, you're the host. Man, well, I guess so we both be the host. They are the host.
Speaker 3: You forgot your ass?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I know I left my Okay, you left yours off? I Got you. Show produced by our producer Maggie aka Maggie be knowing because she'd be knowing. And yeah, be sure to check us out next week. Hit the website in the meantime, Sipping Cipher dot com. Any questions, topics, anything you want us to cover, We do read that stuff obviously. Anything that you care to donate, you can do it at Civic Cipher that's on the website as well, follow us on all social media that is at Civic Cycler too, and you can down on this in any previous episodes and until next week you all right, peace.
Speaker 2: Y'all like yo, we handled it. These brothers a fabulous our lady showing you where bomb travel is the world speak tones from sunlight to move busting on stage like gonna fight the mood.
Speaker 1: C go my mic back. You're like that.
Speaker 2: Journalists with journalists too, we can strike back all corb borders with waters from head borders behind in the beline side step and the borders the press passing. We bring it to you as it happens the streets love popping from music and rapping the street compand to slash peek expando, You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 2: It's how you've got a questions and ask in Deduce is just a TV show you're passing? And this from a white wartime journalist headlines wait, got pre peace and resist.
Speaker 1: Like this like what like this like.
Speaker 2: We kick finds action the sports sports politics move extent.
Speaker 1: Going from