Speaker 1: Times at League Records.
Speaker 2: Bring we will sue you to.
Speaker 1: The gunner. Welcome, flaming hang out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Sunday, July nineteenth. That's ARM late Night. I am Peter Rapple and today Arm, get those damn fingers ready because it's time for the weekendround of where we recap every game that was over the past weekend with plenty of ways, and it is all brought to you by bet MGM. Bet MGM is officially live and Alberta, Canada. Remember to use code just Baseball when you make an account, because if your first pick loses, you're gonna get it all back in bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. And everyone who has a bet MGM account can continue to use all the no sweat home run tokens when you don't have to worry if your bet doesn't clear the fence is just activate that token for any MLB game and if that player fails to go yard, you're gonna get your stake back in bonus bets. ARM. On the last show, I recommended Cody Clemens to go yeah, and he didn't, so I got my stake back in bonus bets. But then he homered twice the next day, and we're gonna do all these series. But I had to bring up my boy Cody Clemens because he is ding homers' just not exactly what I wanted him to.
Speaker 2: That's literally always how it goes right. You make the pick and then the next day I'll hit two. But that's why where the no sweat is great. You gonna just put it right back into it right and hope to you the next day. So yeah, it seemed like a good matchup for Colemens, and I think it was his was it is? I saw Roger quotes week it was his fiftieth career or one hundredth career home run. I'd be fiftieth. One hundred would be a lot for Cody Clemens.
Speaker 1: Got to be fiftieth. But I know he has what seventeen or eighteen so far this season? Not too that. But I feel like we already we've already spent enough time, I think on Cody Clements. Do you want to talk about that riveting World Cup game that went one to zero or should we just recap every baseball game?
Speaker 2: I will say it was a good, really really good World Cup Final. Yeah it was. I've never seen it go to overtime without a shot on goal by the other team, so or a shot period, excuse me. So that was interesting. But I did really enjoy this World Cup. I will say as a guy that was kind of like whatever about it. I had a great time, and I want to just put that out there.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you had a great time. That's the Spain. Congrats to Spain. Goat to go.
Speaker 2: Also, just just putting this out there, I might we I'll personally, I might be a caveman today with like just not knowing what to do because we don't have podcast p. So hopefully I pressed the right buttons and it's my turn and let's see what happens. I'm lost without our compass, that is podcast peak.
Speaker 1: Compass is a perfect way to describe them. No podcast P produced it. It's just arm and eye on the sticks. We'll see how it goes. What we do though, is that we watched a lot of baseball and we're going to tell you about it the visuals. We'll see how we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's jump right into it then, and we'll start with a six series here for Red Sox fans in particular Red Sox raise Game one doubleheader, and Game one was a blowout ten zero. Red Sox Jake Bennett was stellar, tossing six scoreless, allowing just one hit. Masataki Yoshidah homerd on his way to a three hit game, as did Carlos and Arvaiyaz Socks extend their win streak to ten in that blowout ten zero win. Go to Game two, Will Your Bread You homer twice, the second being a go ahead homer in the third inning, where the Red Sox would hold on to a five to three win. Junior Camenaro did hit his twenty ninth in a losing effort, but the Red Sox win. They're eleventh right on a bullpin day. Then he go to Game three, back and forth game as both teams traded homers. Jami Jones left the yard for the first time since being acquired by the Red Sox. Victor Mason Junior and Johnny DeLuca homer for the Rays, sending them into the home half of the seventh with the six to three lead, but the Red Sox pushed two across to make it six to five, sending will Your a Bred You to the plate, and of course this guy just had a series man one man on and having already homered earlier in that game, he launched another go ahead to run homer and the Red Sox would hold on to win seven to six. You go to Game four, Victor Mason Junior pushed one across on an inside the park homer, but it was all Red Sox from there. They scored six unanswered, two of which coming on a Wilson Contrere's homer, and the Red Sox shut the door six to one to complete the four games sweep of the first place Rays. Thirteen consecutive wins for the Boston Red Sox. What a series for? Will you are a bre you? What a series for the Red Sox who just I mean and was pitching, but they swung it in this series. That's the big thing.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, the Boston Red Sox are fifty and forty eight. They're six games back the Tampa Bay Rays. They are locked into well I shouldn't say locked, but currently right now they hold the third wild card spot with a plus forty five run differential, which is thirty one runs clear of Tampa Bay in first it's been a combination of a lot of great things. Number One, the pitching has done a really good job. I know, the offense kind of took center stage, especially Willi or brayw and deservedly so. Wilson Contrez continues to hit Willi or Bray who is hitting. A whole lineup is hitting, but these pitchers continue to lock it down. Like I posted Cy Young odds between Cese and Schlitzler after Schuitzler had one of his worst starts of the season, even though he only give up three earned runs. And I have Red Sox fans in the comments of said tweets saying, Sonny Gray deserves some love to be in there, and I go, oh, all right, hold the phones. But at the same time, he's putting in an era below three. He's been dominant. Of course, you have the whole slew of lefties, and it just shows that anything could happen in baseball and is why it's the best sport in the world. Not long ago, the Red Sox were in a tail spin. They were what fourteen fifteen games under five hundred. We saw a Breslo hit piece every day. We have ikf basically being like, we don't want to play at Fenway Park. We have Trevor story coming out, we have other players on the Red Sox basically saying, yeah, this team kind of sucks. You'll get Boston media they've given up. And then thirteen straight baseball's the best. It's the best.
Speaker 2: And that's why, like I always joke about, like our job in particular, it's just impossible to not eventually sound dumb in respect that, like we always have to react to what's happening in real time, and these seasons are so long that it can literally look like everything is dead. I mean Red so on the field optically, top to bottom. It was a nightmare and it has been a nightmare. It's been really a year from hell. I've even seen I know Bill Simmons is in a big baseball guy, but he's a big New York or New England sports guy, and he's like, this is the most from hell Red Sox season I can ever remember. Right, Like that seems to be the sentiment all year long. And because Major League baseball is such a marathon in the regular season, even when it's like rock bottom. I've seen it with the Mets a million times too, where they hit rock bottom three times in one year. It ain't getting better this year. I can promise it's too late in this year. But in other years we've seen them hit rock bottom and then make it make it through on to the other side. So that's what's amazing about the marathon that is this Major League Baseball season. Is even for us when we're doing the show and we're checking in week after week and we're on our eighth consecutive week of being like, jeezus, Red Sox seems a disaster. It's such a long season that if you have the pitching in place, you can make this thing happen and you can turn things around. And the Red Sox have a two point four to four e as a staff since July first. That's second in Major League Baseball, behind only the Tigers, which is an interesting wrinkle there. But it's been amazing to just see the way that the Red Sox have pitched the ball. And I think that's also kind of given a little bit of life to the offense too, that all of a sudden is starting to swing it a little bit better.
Speaker 1: I also want to shout out one hitter on the Red Sox, and his name is Caleb Durban. I know, if you look at the full season numbers, right, they're not great. He's got an eighty nine WRC plus. But if you were watching Caleb Durban earlier, early in the season, you could make a sound argument he was the worst player in Major League Baseball. It was a negative war. He couldn't get anything going offensively. And he's seeing the guy that he was traded for in Kyle Harrison, completely dominate in Milwaukee. So he's hearing the chirps day in and day out in the Boston market, a new market. It cannot be easy. Yeah, a lot of players who aren't mentally tough, they might fold, might just have a horrible season. But lately Caleb Durbin has been swinging it the defense. He is just ironclad over there at third base. And I think those season long numbers are going to only continue to tick up. Like I think it's one of the great mental battles, one of the twenty twenty sixth season. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, also because it was mental ending. He went out and made a real adjustment. Making a mechanical adjustment in season, yeah, is a significant one. Is so hard to do. I mean, Durbin's a D three guy grinded his way all the way to the show, and you know, if anyone's able to kind of make that adjustment and make it work, it's a guy like him. But I agree, and I don't think it's a coincidence. Of course, there's a lot out other factors, but I think a key piece in pushing this thing forward here for the Red Sox has been Durbin going from one of the worst hitters in Major League Baseball to a net positive and a guy that's making impact in a lot of different ways. What you're seeing from Willyer who hasn't been bad by any stretch, but like he hasn't been Willyer first all out of this year. Now just kicking it into gear as well. That's I go back to the burning questions and it's like, you know they're going to pitch, they can potentially make some trades. Now Connolly early, he seems like you avoid anything major there. Got to come back and see him on the mound, but he's already getting ready to get on a throwing program. Stuff like that. Where does he fit in when we're seeing guys like Patrick Sandoval throw the ball well and different arms that I've barely ever even ever heard of coming up here and getting out. It's like, it's gonna be fun to see how the Red Sox navigate the deadline because they don't have to trade from the farm necessarily, a lot of teams are gonna want pitching, and they can bolster their team by trading away from just the ridiculous pitching that they have. Shout out Jake Bennett, great again. I was so wrong about that trade. I thought it was crazy for them to go get a guy that I thought was more of a five starter for Louis Paraus. Paraos has really struggled since coming back from TJ. Bennett is a guy that they've made tweaks to the arsenal and he's immediately looked much stronger than he did last year, as a guy that could be a really strong four starter and even flashing middle rotation type of stuff.
Speaker 1: And speaking about that trade, remember were when we were trashing the Kyle Harrison move, and you know, with new information will change her mind now. Of course I still would rather about that Harrison. But the reason I brought it up is I want to shout out a couple of the guys that they got over in the trade, like Andrew Monasterio has been putting together fantastic abs, Anthony Siegler has been a spark plug. I'm just saying at this point the trade isn't nearly as bad as what we thought. It was still advantage Milwaukee, but the gap I think got a little bit closer.
Speaker 2: It's been fun to watch Seguer do his thing, too, I think to your point, I mean, they've been batting this guy in the leadoff spot and he's been great switch hitter. All of a sudden, Ken just pesky at bats and doesn't punch out and can play a lot of different positions if you need him to. But they really don't just need him to play second base. But I think Seguer, to your point, it seemed like they kind of grabbed a bunch of bench bats and kind of glad they have him now. And Seaguar has been more than that, you know, since he's come back and up there and again, I think it has been as solid option for them when you beat the Rays. Four games sweep is really tough. There's still fourteen games over five hundred. But man, I mean, you hope that this isn't the start of a skid for them, because I mean four games in a row to one team sometimes could signify the start of a skid. But I think they are just running into baseball's hottest team right now.
Speaker 1: They are. But at the same time, like the Rays have dominated at the trop they're like a anaconda that just gets you in their grip and they squeeze the life out of you. You know, their pitching is still really solid in the rotation, right. McClanahan did not have a great start on Sunday, but you can kind of throw that to the wayside because ultimately he has been very solid. You know, Nick Martinez has been great. He was named an All Star and Drew Rasmussen. So it's like and then their bullpen is still solid. But it's finicky, right, They're not the most talented team in the American League. If you just looked at rosters, they probably wouldn't even rank inside the top five. Yeah, I don't think they would, right, So they got out to a hot start. They're a good team, not a great team. So to me, I'm not surprised that they couldn't salvage one against the Red Sox. That they might go on a little bit of a skid. When you look at all the Fangrafts projections, like a lot of them still have the Yankees winning the division. I think the Yankees stink too. Yeah, nobody's that good. So for me, the Rays are quote unquote the best team in the American League. But to me, that's not saying much. They just happen to have the best record at this point. So again, I just wouldn't be surprised if they went on a little bit of a skid. I still think they're a playoff team. I still personally think they're gonna win the division. I don't think the Yankees catch them, but could they get bounced in the first round, of course, I just I don't have no I don't think anybody's really afraid of the Rays unless you're facing them at the track, the trap where plan Ahead and Martinez are lined up, right, it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Where And I'm with you in the first saying the first place my mind goes when you say all that is you need to This is a team that just needs to add, you know, they need to aggressively add, and you can get excited. One last note from the comment section for Arcle twelve. Great shout on Tearan Guerrero came over from NPB. He's like thirty five years old. I watched him come up with the Marlins a while back, and always through a fuel, but I mean throwing fuel with command. Now and twenty to the thirds innings, he's walking less than one per nine and he's struck out more than ten and a half per nine. That's been huge for them as well. And again more reinforcements coming. You look at what they could potentially get even having like an IKF in the folder. Right now, they're starting sunk che Chang. I know he's been all right, but he can only survive that for so long.
Speaker 1: At least over the last week. He's been good. He's been good. He's been good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean Sheda swinging it. They're surviving without durand because they get Jamia Jones and he's hitting and left. He's in the first couple of games. So yeah, I'm really interested to see how it continues here. And yeah, I think I guys like in Wardo Rivera throwing the ball well I wasn't even really familiar with before. So again, a lot of reasons to be excited if you're Red Sox fan, right now, no doubt. We go to Rangers Braves. Game one, Braves blow the Rangers out of the water while Chris Sale shoves Baldwin, Baldwin, Olsen and Riley Homer. The Braves piled up nineteen hits and Chris Sale tossed seven innings of two hit scoreless fifteen to one Braves. Game two, Braves got off to a four to one lead with the Rangers kept hanging in before an Evan Carter two run shot tied it in the sixth. They pushed across two more in the same frame and held on to a seven to six win to even the series. The Rangers did. Then you go to Game three and Game three I kept watching this feeling like the Rangers were just actively going out of their way to hurt themselves, but at the same time, it also was just a ridiculous offensive onslot from Drake Baldwin and Austin Riley. Drake Baldwin went five for five with two homers. Austin Riley was three for four with two homers and drove in four. This was a ridiculous offensive performance between the two. A why a Langford homer late made it a little bit more interesting, but ultimately eight five win for the Braves and they take the series. I don't have any major takeaways other than the Braves bats are waking up I think big time, and that's really interesting. Austin Riley having the series that he had, I think is huge. Drake Baldwin having the series that he had after the roll off of the IL that was clearly just residual effects from the IL. My main thing with this team is just like, Okay, Baldwin, you expected him to get going again, but getting him going like this Riley getting him going is even bigger if this could be the beginning of a positive stretch for him. And then the next is, you know, Ronald Coune Junior's homering and rehab assignment, so he might just join this team while they've got momentum build him back up again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Braves are an interesting team because when a team starts so hot and they're so talented, we cover it and then they might not be playing that well, but they're not playing horribly where it's a massive crash where we cover that as well. And when we talk about the Braves on the roundup, it's kind of one of those conversations. Yeah, they lost two out of three. Not the greatest performances, but what are you going to do, bravesand just kind of throw it behind you for a good bit. Now, the Braves have not been playing great baseball. They started as baseball's best team, and now they've kind of fluttered in, right, The Phillies caught up to them, the Marlins caught up to them. You look at even some teams in the American League, or excuse me, the National League Central, like the Brewers overtook them when we're looking at record, right, the Cubs are competing with them as well. So for Braves fans, I'm sure they're watching and they're not overly complaining because it hasn't crashed down, But they've been playing kind of mediocre baseball here for a while, and I think it's in large part because the bats have just been kind of lame for lack of a better word, Right, Drake Baldwin when he came back, he wasn't good at all. It was his biggest slump. I think you sent out a tweet earlier today where you said that slump post injury is probably the worst stretch of Drake Baldwin we're going to see in a long time, right, they didn't have a Kunya. Matt Olsen was playing good, not great, Michael Harris good not great, like there was a lot of guys right. Dom Smith wasn't having this unbelievable rue like he was earlier. Mauricio Dubon was playing well, but he wasn't playing as well as he was earlier. So it's got to be tough to watch it as a Braves fan. But then they have a series like this where they beat the shit out of some good pictures. I mean, they took Nathany Evaldi to Church, right, they beat the crap Outam Mackenzie Gore, who's just having a tough season at this point. But it's not like they just kicked the shit out of the Rockies and Coors or the Angels or something like that. They beat some good pictures and beat them bad. So as a Braves fan, this must have just been a fun series to watch. I know you only won two out of three, but I feel this felt like a better series than we've seen from the Braves kind of been a while. Of course they've had better showings than this, but this felt towards the upper echelon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even the lost right back and forth game, a couple of big swings by and you got a dud from Owen Murphy. He's still kind of finding his footing. And so think Murphy's gonna be a good Major League baseball like starter at for a long time. But your rookie goes out and gives you a dud. Bullpen has to pick up seven innings, like, and you lose by one run and your back still gave you a shot. You put up six, right, So I think when you will get a series where you put up as a team twenty twenty nine runs, I think it was like, there's a lot to be excited about here, I think, and this might be a spark for the Braves, and I just circle Austin Riley. Yeah, I know, Matt Olson's going to swing it like you know what what Ozzie Alby's is at this point. And just again, now seeing Baldwin get going again is great, but he kind of figured he was going to eventually get going. Jim Jarvis has been awesome since they brought him up, but at the end of the day, they need Austin Riley driving in runs and and in this series he did plenty of.
Speaker 1: That and real quick. On the Rangers, if you get into a slugfest, you're probably just not gonna win. Yeah, the Rangers MO this year has been solid, starting pitching performances, the bullpen really coming in and shutting the door, and the Rangers scoring enough to win ball games. Yeah, that's been an average Rangers win this season. So if you have the Braves firing on all cylinders offensively, they're just not good enough to overcome that. Sorry, And I'm invested in the Rangers. I have them pented, I got them everything. I believe in them. But in that case, there's just a tier above of an MLB team, and the Braves played to what we think the Braves can, which means the Braves are gonna win two out of three. I was honestly kind of proud of the Rangers that they even took one. With how the Braves were swinging.
Speaker 2: And I think big series in Langford overall, he swung it really well throughout the series. That's gonna be big spark for them if he just can stay on the field and then continue to do what he's been doing. No doubt we go to Pirates Guardians.
Speaker 1: Game one, one.
Speaker 2: We were so excited for, was postponed due to air quality, so we played the doubleheader on Saturday. We still get the pitching matchup that we wanted between Jerry Jones and Gavin Williams, I would say delivered in a lot of ways. Jones was stellar. He struck out nine over five innings of one run ball, while Williams did allow five earned in six innings, but he struck out eleven. The Pirates hit three homers with two run shots by a newly acquired Jacob Gonzales and esmer Lean Valdez, who we'll talk about more on him in a second, along with a solo shot by Nick Gonzales. Pirates win seven to one. Game two. Pirates led three zero going into the eighth, but that's when the Guardians tied it up, sending it into the bottom of the ninth, knotted up at three, where Travis Bizana launched a two run walk off home run to seal the victory. Fun note, Christian Curtis was awesome in his MLB debut, tossing five shutout in a piggy and piggyback duty for the Pirates, but the Guardian's bullpen did not allow run after picking up for Logan Allen in the fourth, and the Guards end up winning that game five the three. But Christian Curtis, he was a guy that wasn't even sure if he was going to pitch again at a certain point, dealt with nervous who's in his elbow after a botch Tommy John surgery had his stitches pushing against the nerve. He had to get another like emergency surgery to kind of fix that. And at the time of getting that surgery, doctors weren't sure if Curtis was gonna be able to throw a baseball again. So not only is he thrown a baseball, he's a guy that actually really likes a prospect towards the back end of the top ten and the Pirate system for us, And it was really impressive to watch him in his big league debut. Looking forward to I know the option him back down. He was the extra man for the double header, But I think Curtis is going to have a long big league career. Great fastball. We go to Game three, Paul Skeen snaps back into it and turns in seven innings of one run ball and the Pirates scored seven runs, so you're gonna win that game most often, as Meerlyien Valdez homerd again his twelfth homer in his first thirty one MLB games seven to one, Pirates that they take the series. As Marleen Valdez, Dude, this has been a crazy start to his big league career. It seems like all of his swings are geared for hitting the ball, like like Josh Donaldson was the Bringer of Rain. Feels like as Merlene Valdez is like next up right now with the way that he literally he's trying to hit the ball straight up into the air as far as he can, and I mean their moonshots. I watched him kind of really follow up what was a breakout campaign in the minor leagues last year in the Arizona Fall League, and he puts some stupid swings on balls. Now there's some questions if he's gonna chase too much and with too much, and I think there's gonna be a correction period where he's gonna struggle. But right now, because he's aggressive and he hits the ball hard and he's just swinging for damage. Any mistake right now, even non mistakes. Valdez is punishing them, and he's playing a huge part. This hot streak is a huge part of keeping the Pirates afloat right now.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it, and I think the Pirates deserve a lot of credit, notably for this offense. Right We've talked about the rotation and how it's been a little bit disappointing. Right Paul Skins turned it around and tossed an awesome game against the Guardians, but it's been a disappointing season for his standards. Jared Jones just started to click over his last three starts, and those three starts have been amazing, but before that when he returned from injury, wasn't great. Bubba Chandler has not taken that next step. Mitch Keller's normal second half where he pitches to a five era has basically happened in the first half. But then you have Braxton Ashcraft who has stepped up. But I think going into the season, even as someone who took Pirates over seventy six and a half wins, it was in large part because of the starting pitching, and you thought, all right, we're excited about Connor Griffin. I personally remember, you know, slamming the table for O'Neal Cruz. Both of them have been injured on at right Spencer Horowitz looked great, got injured again arm This is the number one offense in Major League Baseball against right handed pitching, Number one, Dodgers, number two with a one to sixteen WRC plus, Pirates with a one seventeen WRC plus. I think Brian Reynolds has really really done well this season. You know, even acquiring Jacob Gonzalez.
Speaker 2: He I was gonna say that move. Yeah, I love the urgency of that move, leveraging the draft saying I know that team out there, specifically the White Sox are going to really you know, want to add to their to their draft pool here to pull some of these deals off. Let's jump start the trade market here and let's get someone that's gonna help us hold it down at short and so Connor Griffin's back. Like, that was urgency that I think was great from the Pirates.
Speaker 1: How about your two favorite prospects, Endie Rodriguez and Nick Gonzalez when you covered them like these guys are finally starting to kick it in gear. This is the classic not wrong, just yeah, not.
Speaker 2: Wrong just early. I loved Endy Man. I was very surprised, and I really think injuries played a large part in his struggles, and unfortunately he's hurt again, but it's like a strained glute. I don't think they'll be too much here, but we've been watching him be a huge part of this team both as a catcher and I think can also just provide just steady offense for them. Like I loved him as just a switch hitting, exciting bat. So one thirty eight WRC plus from him in thirty eight games with five or thirty five games with five homers, Like that's a great piece for them as a switch hitter. And then yeah, I mean Nick and Zalez. There was definitely bias, probably laiden into that because of just watching him go through you know, the college route as well, and just seeing him be the best player on the kate by a mile. But seeing the way that he has developed now, I mean, this is one of the better batting average guys in the game, and he's mixing in a ton of doubles, sneaking out homers here and there, you know, when needed. And I think another guy that was very much decimated by injury and with a couple of doubles today, he's got his WRC plus up to one to seventeen. On the season, he's hitt in three to eleven. So both these guys I think have been huge and not only just helping the Pirates just stay a far, but I think with the injuries that they've had, if you didn't have Gonzalez swinging it the way that he has been swinging it, if you didn't have Rodriguez swinging it the way he's been swinging it, I think this offense would look a little bit different because it's just really balanced from top to bottom, even with some of their key guys missing.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And then on the Guardian side, you got anything.
Speaker 2: I mean nothing, nothing major. Really, he ran into Paul Skins, you still piled up hits, just just couldn't really push him across.
Speaker 1: That's the power thing that I was talking about on the one burning question, right, Bazanna gave him the power and then they ended up winning that game, but that was it. It's like you can get some singles here and there, but if guardballing guardballing and you don't have your magic, it's it gets real slow, real fast. They need someone who's going to hit for some power. And again, it's just kind of another series of you want Kyle Manzardo to hit those homers, but he's not. Like they need somebody to step up because Jose Ramirez is not going to provide the thirty nine homers that he did last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it's just that's the biggest thing for me. So he just can't come back soon enough. And even just just to bolster this offense, even if he isn't playing at the peak of his powers, I think will be super helpful because you just get to the bottom of this lineup sometimes and you know, I know they play the matchups and it looks different, but I'm looking at like the Sunday lineup. Man, it's it's yeah, I think Khlia Watson could ultimately be a solid book platoon guy. But you go Watson, even though Minzarto has been swinging that. You go Manzardo to Watson, to Gabriel Arius who strikes out forty percent of the time, to Patrick Bailey to Pete Haupin and you and Stephen Kwan's leading off and he had two hits today, but like he's been terrible so you have a couple guys in the middle of your order that you're hoping are gonna produce. How How are the Guardians gonna string hits together? We know they're not gonna slug, so are they gonna string hits together with that current offense? It's gonna be hard. I still love this team. I think they can find ways to make it work and match up their way to success. But they need to go out get a bat as well. On top of you returning one of their key guys here, and I do wonder ralphie Velaskaz really enjoyed talking to him. We just put out that interview on the call up their top prospect right now, big power bat in first base really settling in up there in TRIPAA. Is that a guy that they try to bring up to give them a spark. He's ahead of his years, is twenty one year old. Maybe he can't rule it out.
Speaker 1: I'm also looking at Gavin Williams. He needs to be better. I mean, this is the guy at the top of the rotation and he has frontline stuff. We see it. We see all the punch outs, but after that five and run performances there is above four can happen. He's got to be better, right. We're gonna hold Gavin Williams to a high standard deservedly, so we know that he can be a dominant arm. We saw it early on in the season, but lately, like when Gavin Williams towse the Rubber Guardians better win most of those games, and he's not been putting them in a position to win.
Speaker 2: We'll go to Marlins Brewers Game one. They were scoreless in going into the fifth inning when Griffin Conine launched a solo shot, then in the home half of the fifth, Joey Ortiz matched him with one of his own. It stayed tied at one until the tenth, when Garrett Mitchell walked it off with an RBI single, two to one. Brewers. You go to Game two. More offense in this one is The Marlins got off to a three zero lead, but the Brewers scored eight unanswered on a slew of doubles. Jelich, Chorio, and Mitchell all had two RBI days and Garrett Mitchell put on a defensive clinic out there in the outfield. You go into the ninth inning with a pretty big lead and a con nine three run shot in the ninth made things interesting, but ultimately McGill shut the door eight six Brewers. You go to Game three, Marlin's trying to get one back here and snap a five game losing streak. Juri Perez continued his dominance since returning from injury, tossing six innings of a one hit, scoreless ball with nine straight outs, but Robert Gasser was sharp in five innings opposite of Perez, allowing just one run and whiffing five and the story Ruiz solo shot in the third was the only run until the ninth inning, when you got Pete Fairbanks versus William Contreras with two men on and one out, and Contreras launched a three run walk off home run to complete the sweep three to one. Brewers. Marlins dropped their sixth straight. After being one of the best teams in baseball and the hottest teams in baseball, there now the coldest team in baseball, and Peter, they've got a closer problem.
Speaker 1: Yes they do. Pete Fairbanks cannot have the ninth inning anymore, and that's putting it as nicely as humanly possible. How many right, they're fifty two and forty eight. Now, how many of those losses are because of Pete Fairbanks? And I know that's a meaning question, but it does feel like it's more than it should be.
Speaker 2: That's the crazy part is because like he's only which I felt like it was like almost like an and Della affecting. He's only blown three saves this year, but the amount of times that he has come in and tied games and just keeping it up, yeah, I can't even I can't even fathom. I think by by b War he might be a full negative win. I need to double check that, uh, because he's been He's come in plenty of times and leverage and it's just been brutal, even the saves. Dude, And I think I mentioned it. He was my one burning question for the Marlins was can this guy actually close games? And yeah, going into today's game negative one point zero b War, which I it's just just crazy.
Speaker 1: Can I rid Can I read you a quick stat? Yeah, he's got a six six ERA, thirty two appearances this year and thirteen saves as the closer. So right, he's not maybe blowing saves, but he's not converting saves either, even.
Speaker 2: When he gets them. Like it's it's a line drive out and then two warning track fly outs, and you're like, oh my gosh, how do we get out of that? And I really feel for for Fairbanks, like all by all accounts, good dude clearly wants to succeed. But the thing with me is like the body language is bad, Like he just seems like he's lost out there. He's missing badly with breaking balls or the heater, and it looks like he's almost frustrated with the lack of feel that he has, like he can't find it. And it feels like he determines that quite quickly into his outing, and you just you see the body language which is just like it's it causes the hitters a foam with the mouth. You start to see it within two batters, you know, the closer get frustrated and wear it and you're like, okay, you know, here we go and contres knew he's gonna hang one there and he hung a breaking ball and that was that. I mean, when you when you pay thirteen forty million dollars for a closer, especially if you the Marlins guy better be good and when he's not, like, it's really tough because these are one of those stretches where Martins are gonna have to win a lot of close games to get into the playoffs here, and if you've got a five game skid and you have a chance to steal a one zero game to end that skid, that's where you need your expensive closer. And he's been the opposite, right, so Big Mike Peterson went and ending in a third of perfect ball. Again, that's my candidate for the closer role. The problem is they have a couple other guys hurt, so I don't know what they're gonna do. Because you have Bender hurt, you have King hurt. So if you make Peterson the closer, Peterson's been in this extremely valuable like fireman role where it's because hey, you need to punch out, Big MIC's gonna go throw you in one hundred with twenty two vert and get that punch out. So then who's the fireman guy? I think it should probably be Tyler Phillips. So you put in the bullpen, bring up Braxton Garrett so he can start, and then Phillips can get back into more of a leverage role. I don't know. They have a lot of things to figure out there, because in July, where every game matters and you're trying to figure out where you're out at the deadline. You can't give away any more games with your closer.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, too, been a lot of low scoring games because the offense hasn't necessarily showed up and Griff and Co nine leads the team in ops yep, but a couple other guys have not jumped out after the break and we're kind of slowing down during this six game losing streak. I want to talk about Milwaukee, but I do want to ask you about this current offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was. It was interesting too because Griff had a three game homer streak and I think he started one of those games, and and I think the game he started he got pinched at four in this in the seventh, so it was it was encouraging to see him get the start in the third game of the series against a left tam you know, and you know, kind of try to ride the hot hand there and play the guys that are swinging it. Not over platoon it, but Otto Lopez goes down and they think it's minor, but like that, that's tough. If he's missing some time, And yeah, I mean it's it's a really good Brewer staff, So you know that that's gonna and it start when you go from Guardians to Brewers and you already were kind of swow as an offense. That's where you can really feel suffocated. And I think that's been a big part of it. But yeah, even with Griffin homering in three straight games, it just seems like the runs were quite hard to come by for the Marlins and something that they're going to need to figure out and kind of get going here, which is going to be difficult when Otto Lopez, who's been the most consistent hitter in Major League Baseball arguably, you know, is that going to be out maybe for the next few games.
Speaker 1: No doubt. And on the Brewers side, Garrett Mitchell put is just putting the team on his back right now because you look at the Brewers offense and there's not a lot of like explosive guys right now, Like Bryce Terrang is playing well right Cooper Pratt has even hit the ball pretty well since the calendar turned over to July. Early returns overall are like okay, but lately he's been hitting They don't need.
Speaker 2: Him to be much either, like, just defend and steal bases and give you good abs in the eight or nine hole and you're thrilled.
Speaker 1: Contreros has had his moments, but it's not a team firing on all cylinders. But they still find ways to win games. And I think that's what makes the Brewers so good. Right when Kyle Harrison goes down, who's gonna step up? Is it Shane Rowan, because yeah, he was great winnings. He's been like you know, in the past four or five starts, he's looked awesome. Logan Henderson has looked great, right, So it's just next guy in line and again, they're not playing great, but they're winning. And that's what great teams do, is even when it's not all going right. You're not like the Red Sox where it feels like nine guys in their lineup have a one forty WRC plus or better. You look at Milwaukee's past two weeks, it's like four of them, and yet they're still the second best team in all of baseball, right behind the Dodgers. And another series win for him.
Speaker 2: Well, and you mentioned the pitching, like Logan Henderson gave you five innings of three hit, one run ball. The only run was that solo shot to Griffin. And then you have the game two, which ended up being a little bit more of a slugfest. But Shane Roman gave you six innings, a three run ball and struck out nine. You're gonna win a lot of those games, especially when Max Meyer, you know, an extra rest kind of gives the Marlins a dut on the other side. And then yeah, in this last game, I think Robert Gaser's a good back into the rotation arm and and I think I feel a role pretty nicey for them, and I just I think Gasher's gonna end up being a decent piece for them as they continue to just kind of push forward here and wait on when they can potentially get Harrison.
Speaker 1: Back, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Let's talk Cardinals, Dbacks, Cardinals d Becks. This was a really interesting series because I want to preface with two teams that were kind of up in the air, right, what are they going to do with the deadline? I think, you know, you lean it being a little bit more aggressive for the Diamondbacks given where they're at. But this is a series we're going into it. How the Diamondbacks performer is really going to help them gauge that, and Mike Casan all but said that to his team before the series, like not just the series, that it's pretty much on you guys, like I want to buy, but you guys need to make make it so that I can buy with how you play for the next couple of weeks, and like it's on you guys, which I think more GM should do. It's just transpennerent treat this like the playoffs because it's it's important right now so that we can make the playoffs. And I bring that up because I saw that level of fight from the Diamondbacks in this series.
Speaker 1: Going to be one except the Catel Marte not challenging.
Speaker 2: That would be the one thing. But if there's an exception anything, it'll probably usually be something like that with Ketel Martine. Unfortunately, Game one, Mary Kelly and Michael McGreevy were sharp, allowing one earned run in five innings and six in the thirds innings, respectively, So Mary Kelly went make should I say that cleaner? Mary Kelly allowed one earned in five innings and Michael McGreevy allowed one earned in six and a third. JJ Weather homeward in his in the fifth, his fourteenth of the year, and then Corbyn Carroll had a two run game time homer in the eighth, also his fourteenth of the year. Von Herrera pushed to go ahead run across on a sack flying the ninth before Riley O'Brien escaped some traffic to nail down the save, But as Peter alluded to, there was a call third strike out of the zone for the final out of the game that kadtel Marte did not challenge despite having both challenges available. I do we have it playing on YouTube. If you're watching, you literally have fans patting themselves on the head saying, challenge it. If it's right down the middle, you think you challenge you. I have two challenges. The game's over. Challenge it. Maybe maybe your eyes deceive you. You have to use it. I don't know if Katella didn't know the situation. I don't know if you like if the argument is he thought it was a strike. Your eyes deceive you all the time, especially with Riley O'Brien on the mount and everything that his pitches move like crazy. Challenge it. I don't know how how that happens. And if I was a Diamondbacks and Caudel ends up breaking in these other games. But like, those are the things that would drive me crazy.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, one hundred percent. I mean, like we were all talking about it in the discord after, like, what the what the hell? Oh, what's going on? Right? You just had that talk from my ks, then you have the two challenges left. He must have just had a total brain fart and not thought that they had any challenges left. Yeah, or he thought it was a strike, which again.
Speaker 2: Like if you thought it was a strike, who cares, the game's over? Tap your head, you extend the game by at least ten more seconds.
Speaker 1: I wish we learned in a postgame presser what his thoughts were, but we didn't hear anything after. So it was just kind of one of those things where it's like, so it goes almost no words is a lot of words, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So that was a frustrating one, but team bounces back and in game two, Brandon Fott continues to be effective since returning from triple A, allowing two earned in five and a thirds innings. Marte Gabriel Moreno and Nolan Arnado each had two hit days and the Diamondbacks bullpen continues to be effective despite all odds, five to three Diamondbacks win. Then Game three was the one that really kind of told me, hey, this Dbacks team, you know that they're not going to lay down seven zero lead in the fifth for the card They get up big, but the d Backs, especially at home, never go away. Could tell Marte drove in a run in the sixth, you had a couple more runs driven in on what shouldn't say driven in, walked in, Gabriel Moreno walked to the basis out of town and walk we were walk to the basis water. That made it seven to three, but then you still had Ryan Sanak get out of the jam. Then you go into the seventh inning and a two run shot from Herodo Perdomo or two run shot was inside the parker made it seven to five, and then Noan Aronado tied it up with a two run shot of his own at seven to seven going to the bottom of the tenth, and Max Kepler walked it off with a double eight unanswered to erase a seven zero deficit for the Diamondbacks to take the series.
Speaker 1: Baseball is a funny sport because both the Diamondbacks and the Red Sox are fifty and forty eight as we sit here currently, and I feel like if you ask people what their opinions are on both teams at this current moment, they'd be completely different. People would say, well, the Red Sox are definitely buying what a run. This team is really coming together. Watch out for them in the playoffs. And then you look at the Diamondbacks and you say, thank god they won this series at home after their GM said if you win, you gotta buy right And the lineup is still it's missing the juice that it's had in previous seasons where they just hang a crooked number on you like that where it's speed and it's defense and it's such a dynamic offense with three guys at the top of Perdomo's taking a little bit of a step back, but then he played a little bit better. Like the Diamondbacks are just a very confusing team for me and have really been all season long, because when I watch the Diamondbacks, I feel like I'm just missing something, like there just isn't that thing that makes me want to say, all right, maybe you're not playing that well right now, but I see something and I'm gonna stick with you. But at the same time, then they come back and win again like they did on Sunday, kind of gets me going again. They are probably out of all thirty, maybe the most confusing to me because I also again, Brandon Fought is another good example. Four straight starts pitching into the six inning or more to earn runs or less. But I've seen a lot of bad Brandon Fought. Is this the start of something great or is this just a good stretch? You know, Merril Kelly, Gallon's on the shelf. They've lost Soroka, they've lost Ryan Nelson, Cormyn Burns still hasn't come back yet. I don't know. I don't know. I thought I didn't like the bullpen, Now I do. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't bullpen is crazy. I don't know how they're doing this, but they are, and they've deployed guys in the right spots and made it happen. And there's what's interesting about this team is the amount of pieces that they can add from within. We've talked about, you know, the pitchers and Burns is going to be really late, but being able to get maybe Justin Martinez back and aj Pucket sounds like he still we'll probably come back at some point this season, and then Soroka should be back soon rather than later. Jordan Lawler is a big one for me. I think he really figured something out this year. He's been so he was swinging it a lot better in very limited example, but even in spring training the swing mechanics look better.
Speaker 1: Uh, and he just hasn't been able to stay on the field.
Speaker 2: So I mean, what that guy would do, even if he's a league average hitter or close to it, with the speed and defense that he brings, you know, to just lengthen this lineup a little bit, what would help a ton. So yeah, I'm interested to see, but tough team to figure out one hundred percent. I like the fire that you know is kind of lit under them and see, you know, if they kind of do what they've done the last few years in the second half, which is just kind of make a push. And on the other side, it's really hard to win a series and put put the dumonbacks away in Arizona.
Speaker 1: It just is.
Speaker 2: And I think like with the bullpen that the Cardinals have, like it's not bad, but some of those arms, like this is a place for them to struggle, and I just think that's kind of what happened in the final game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those where it just shit happens. He throw it over your shoulder and just go all right, let's move on to the next. Jeordan Walker twenty one straight games on base, carrying over from before the break, won the home run derby. He's hitting close to three hundred. He's pacing the National League and RBIs I think he's still the leader. But every single time I turn on the Astros game, Jordon's up driving somebody in. So like maybe maybe jordont overtook it, but what I do know is that he's pacing the National League. Like what a season from him. JJ Weatherholt has been great. But again, I still think the Cardinals are going to be a playoff team. I've been pretty consistent about that for the last like two or three months. This doesn't change any of that bad series. You move on.
Speaker 2: Shout out Michael McGreevy, the goat he's up to. You know, everyone talking about the underlying metrics regression whatever, the sample keeps getting bigger. Yeah, we're at one hundred eight innings now of a sub three E and he went out. This would be the game where the regression hits right from a gravy out in Arizona. Nope, Nope, one earned and six and a third and two nine to two ERA for Michael Grievy. Guy's a walking quality start.
Speaker 1: This is the guy who if your dad or mom or anyone older in your family is constantly yelling at the TV about analytics, yeah, tell them to go watch Michael McGreevy. You're watching a nineteen fifties pitcher.
Speaker 2: Nobody pitches anymore, no one holds runners on.
Speaker 1: He does it all. Go watch Michael McGreevy. Then show your parents Michael McGreevy at see the old form of baseball. It's still alive in today's game.
Speaker 2: I love it. He's the perfect example. We're gonna get into Peter's ten series, but before that, we got a pretty fun release coming up here. One of my favorite of the year. I think anyone who collects baseball cards, it's Tops Chrome, and Top's Chrome comes out on July twenty second, and if you go to your local lids, let's have something awesome going for Rip to rep from July twenty second to twenty six. In fifty plus Lids stores, you can win a free jersey by ripping your chrome baseball packs in store. All you have to do is pull an auto from one of the seventy five players on the rip to rep list, from top rookies like Kevin McGonagall, South Stewart and JJ Weatherholt to veteran superstars like Otani, Judge and Soto, and even Hall of famers like Ken Griffy, Junior, Cal Ripkin and Randy Johnson. Also, what a loaded checklist all these guys have ink in here. The list is wild and it's a really fun way to celebrate with whatever you may hit. There will be a special meet and greet if you're in Chicago. We'll give you more information when that comes up. For a meet and greet to in store with one of the players out there the DC area with either colst Montgomery and CJ. Abrams, So stay tuned on that. Between Chicago and d C. I think we'll have something with Colson and then there'll be something going on with CJ in the DC area. And make sure to stop by at the water Tower in Pentagon Lids locations to meet those superstars. Water Tower, I think in Chicago, Pentagon in DC. Colson should be on the twenty fifth of July at water Tower. If you spend fifty dollars in a Lids product or forty in a Tops Chrome baseball product, you'll be able to get something sign from him. And make sure to get your hobby boxes at Lids more affordable than all the other competitors. I'm telling you this is the place where I go out and buy my cards. I need the sealed boxes. I just go to Lids. The prices are best there, and why not just rip them there with the chance to get a jersey if you hit one of those autos. The product is available in over nine hundred stores, and the hobby boxes are available and roughly six hundred and seventy five. Let me know what you hit on the tops Chrome two. Again, we have the discord. We're always sending our hits there in the card chat. But tweet at me whatever. If you hit the rip to rep with Lids, let us know, because I know the folks at lidds will definitely want to share that too. Some peanuts show up for batting practice. Hampton Farms super extra large peanuts show up for the home run Derby the Roasted Big for bold flavor and a crunch that won't quit. They come in four unique flavors, simply salted, sweet honey, hot honey or cracked pepper and sea salt. Bigger size, Bigger flavor, made for sharing. Take twenty five percent off your super extra large peanuts order at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one where just baseball at Hampton Farms dot com for twenty five percent off.
Speaker 1: White Sox taken on the Blue Jays. Game one, White Sox win twelve to four. A five runs second inning from the Socks put this game out of reach, highlighted by a Sam Antonachi home run on the Blue Jays side, Luis Arius, George Springer and Brandon Vellens Wala homer. But this was an avalanche of runs from Chicago from start to finish. Antonachi, Colson, Montgomery, and Midrath all had multiple hits and Brydon Montgomery had four RBIs and Spencer Miles had his first major hiccup for Toronto, allowing six earned over four innings. Moved to Game two, Blue Jays win one to zero. Arm I remember we were talking about this game on the weekend preview, and it was Davis Martin taking on Shane Bieber, two pitchers that I think both of us were aligned where we had no idea what they were going to get us. Could have been dominant, could have been bad, both dominant. Bieber delivered his best outing of the season, tossing six shutty three hits, six strikeouts, and Davis Martin certainly competed. He allowed just one run over five and two thirds, but the offense was shut out, so of course he took the loss, and the loan run in this game came on a George Springer RBI single. In Game three, White Sox win three to zero. They blank him. Sean Burke take a bow six and two thirds, two hit ball, no runs, five strikeouts. His era's down a three to two zero. He's turning into the White Sox best pitcher, even with Davis Martin having an awesome year and Treya Savage was great in this game through five innings, but in the sixth Coulson Montgomery hit a homer and Brada Montgomery had an RBI single. White Sox win the series and they are still in first place with the Guardians tumbling against the Pits Berg pirates. What was your biggest takeaway from this one?
Speaker 2: Bieber? Honestly, just because I also just have a bias towards that guy. I just want to see that guy succeed. He just seems like a rose pro. I've always enjoyed watching him throw. He's overcome a lot of injuries and just coming back again here and looking as rough as he has looked. I just really, I really want to see that guy succeed.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: He's also just a very fun pitcher to watch because he executes the command. It's generally so good. And for the Blue Jays, like I know, it feels like it's slipping away and you drop another series and you just can't hit. But man, if it does slip away, then Shane Bieber's a decent trade chip. So it just benefits them for Meeber to throw the ball. Well, I can't escape the obvious elephant in the room. The Blue Jays cannot hit, They cannot hit, Nope, And it's gonna be what does them in because the odds of these this and this is the funny thing we're just talking about, like the marathon that is Major League Baseball season. But it ain't a marathon to the to the trade deadline. That's just about a sprint now, right, And I just don't know how these bats can get going enough in this short period of time. And the thing is, too is like your picture did their job. The White Sox are a great offense, and in the final two games, your pitchers limited the White Sox to three runs combined in the final two and you could only win one of them, and you're lucky that you won one of them.
Speaker 1: That's been the thing with the Blue Jays hall season long, is they can't sink both at the same time. They'll get stretches where their offense looks okay, and that's when the pitchers just give up a trillion runs in this series. Their pitching look great against a good offense, and nobody shows up offensively. A Springer, I guess, I guess, But Vladdie, I mean, among the stars in Major League Baseball, he's having one of the most disappointing seasons in the game. Right. It's bad abs he's put and then when he hits the ball hard, it's on the ground. I've been saying it all year because it's the same thing I keep watching over and over again. It's like the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. That's what I'm seeing right now from Vladdie. It's insanity how bad his abs are. But I want to talk about the White Sox, and notably Sean Burke, because I wasn't lying when I said that Sean Burke might be a better pitcher than Davis Martin in our discord Shout out the discord. You can join through the link of the episode description. Someone asked Peter, or they might have just asked the group, and I chimed in because I was watching Sean Burke at the moment, and they said, who's better, Davis Martin or Sean Burke? And I said, well, you can't argue with Davis Martin's production, but who's better? From watching Sean Burke looks dominant. In his last six starts, He's allowed to earned runs once, all other times one earned run, and then of course in his last start on Sunday, no earn runs. And now it is against the Blue Jays offense. I get it, but at the same time, this isn't new for him. He's lowered a Zra into the threes. I think low threes now low three two three two yeah, exactly, to be exact, So, I mean this guy is a real arm because I think the White Sox right now, you've got you get your offense right. Yeah, Kyle Teel is still struggling, but like you fine, exactly, Like I think he's going to be fine, but you are looking for starters for the long term. Dave has proven that he's that guy, but who else? Right, it's probably not Anthony k You know, Hagen Smith hasn't come up and helped. Noah Schultz has been too inconsistent to really stamp him as part of the core. You hope. So he's super talented, but you don't have any proof yet. Sean Burke is providing proof and ex cudding for them.
Speaker 2: Well, and those two guys at the top. Like the fact that you're having a conversation of which of these guys is better? Like a year ago, that question may have been like which of them is better to be a five starter for your four starter for you a bet? So like the fact that it's which of these guys that are at the top of a rotation are better? I think is really exciting. I do agree. I think the Burke like the Burke fastball shape, and I think the way that that sets the tone. So so six six to forty, I think there's a little bit more going for him there. And I just think when you have the fastball shape that Burke has, it's going to help him a little bit more. He extends down the mound well also, like I think he is a little bit of a higher floor, as interesting as that is. And yeah, two development successes for the White Sox guys that again we'll take there trending more like depth arms at certain points now are solid, solid rotation pieces for you. And even more reason I think for the White Sox to say, like, hey, we we should go out and be a little bit more aggressive at the deadline because we've got two solid rotation pieces. We've got other irons in the fire that like maybe Schultz makes that lead, you know, maybe maybe we can bring somebody up and they make an impact. But we've got a couple of strong guys. Let's go get a third and I hope they do it.
Speaker 1: Johnny Cash, I agree with you. Sean Burke is that dude, and he is a dog. For all those listening, the best way to support this YouTube live stream. Make sure you just smash the like button and subscribe Button's totally free. And of course if you're listening to us after the fact on audio. Best way to support the Just Baseball Show a five star review and certainly tell your friends let's go over to Mets taking on the Phillies Game one, which was on Thursday, which I thought was so mean of Major League Baseball. I know, of course it's probably a TV thing where they're trying to get another game in primetime, but they didn't even give the Mets and Phillies like a real All Star break and then they were like, oh, well you could take a day off tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Mean, I saw Tray Turner. I saw Trey Turner in the airport when I when I flew into Palm Beach and I'm walking out and I'm like, why is Trey already flying back? And I was like, oh, yeah, he's got to go back now, kind of like he's holding his kids, like instead of having an extra day at home with the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I again, they didn't really get a real All Star break. Game one, Mets went four to one. Again. This was on Thursday. This was Homer party, but most of them came from the Mets Alvarez homer twice. Baty homered, but the loan run from Philly was on a Trey Turner homer. Christian Scott dominant over five and two thirds, allowing three hits, no runs, seven shrikeouts to lower his ERA to two eight seven. Aaron Nola quality start six innings, three runs, six k's, but he did allow those three homers because that's what Aeronola does. His era's at five six eight moved to Game two. Phillies win six to one. Again, this was on Saturday. Schwarber started the game with a two run shot and Tyrone Taylor answered with a solo shot in the second, but from there it was all Phillies. That was the lone run has us Zardo allowed, going five innings with seven strikeouts, lowering his ERA to three four to three. Hearing a lot of people in our Discord Shout Out podcast p calling him the if man, talking about his underlying metrics. He'll never be those. Hey, Hay Suzardo is one of the league leaders in shrikeouts and he's got a three four to three ARA. Let's put some respect on his name. Trey Turner homerd Boehm and Harper had RBI singles cruise to a win Game three. Mets win six to one. Five runs from the Mets in the first two innings ended this one as McLean was downright filthy, shrinking out ten. He threw some curveballs arm where I was like, holy shit, he's gross pitching in jappost at one of his curveballs thirty six hundred RPMs. I mean, it's just stupid. He threw one to Harper. I actually felt bad for Harper. It was so nasty. I was like, that's just that's unfair. So again, six shutout, two hits, allowed ten punchies. Lindor went three for three with three RBIs, including a homer the first four bats, and the Mets lineup aj Ewing won Soto Bashaddon. Of course, Lindor had multiple hits. Hey, Mets win the series. Yeah, so that more of a like a Mets thing, or is it like Philly's what the hell? Come on, that's the whole brod derby. Sanchez gives up all three runs at the altar, gave it the right out the break, you lose to the Mets. Come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the vibes are a little a little low right now. I was gonna point out too real quick when we're talking about tops Chroman cards like that. I've known a few no on mcclaim cards. My favorite thing about it, for those that are watching on YouTube is he's hitting in his boat first. So I think that's gonna sick in like ten years, when Nolan McLain's just this established stud pitcher, people are gonna forget that he came up doing both a little bit and you will get his first card. It's Nolan McLain with an elbow guard, you know, getting ready to take it, take a swing. But no, I think, look, it's at the moral victory part of the Mets season. There's two things. Hope that the rentals that you're going to trade away start balling a little bit so you can improve their trade value, and two find the moral victories for next year. Christian Scott's given you that, and Nolan McLain. I don't think anyone was concerned about him long term, but you want to see this guy have a great second half and go into next year and say, all right, we've got our number one with Christians or number one with Nolan mclan. We've got a number three yearsh potential type of guy like Christian Scott. We got to fill in now from there, but at least we've got two really good young arms. I think this start for mcclan was spectacular, the two hits only only walking to and we talk about putting guys away because sometimes he doesn't get the chase that you would that you would get sometimes I think the pitches are just too big. You got the chase, he got the whift ten punch outs. That's my big takeaways, Like, you can't even be mad about the Phillies. This was a guy that has the stuff to be a frontline starter, showing us that.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it with the Phillies. A couple interesting comments from postgame pressers. Trey Turner was asked kind of about about his down season. Yeah, and he made a comment about his batting average on balls and play and how it kind of doesn't make any sense and based on the quality of contact like in previous years he's always been he's got a ton of speed. He knows he still has it. Sprint speed would agree with him, but I saw like his batting average on balls and play is like two sixty two seventy. That's just not what we're used to from Trey Turner. So it does tell me like, all right, you know he's aware of this, He's not in his own head. It does seem like like he feels like he's hitting the ball okay, he's just not getting the results, which actually I like that from a hitter rather than just sulking like he knows it's sometimes with baseball, it's a long season. Guys to go through spells. If he feels good about the process, Trey Turner has done enough to earn our respect where it's like, all right, I trust you to get out of it now. At the same time, he's got to get out of it, and this was a good series from him. Yeah, he's got to get out of it right, and I think he eventually will. Alec Bohm also had some comments when he was asked what's going on with the Phillies offense right now? And he made a comment that like I agree with and I don't agree with. He said, the pitching is just really good. In Major League Baseball. You run into some bullpens that just have high octane stuff. These starters are excellent and some guys. Guys just go through lulls, and I agree with the premise. However, the Phillies have had a tough stretch in July, and it's been against the Pirates, the Royals, the Reds, the Tigers, and now the Mets, so they're not exactly going through regauntlet of pitching. I think there are bigger problems afoot. Yeah, I think the problems sit with we're kind of waiting on Schwarburne Harper to come back through the lineup. Obviously he can't say that, and Boom has actually had a better few months, so he's not the problem. But the guy at the top of the lineup has been the problem, and the guys after Alec Bohm have been a major problem that he's not gonna say the truth. I will problem with the Phillies offense. It's not just because pitching is great, even though I do agree it's really hard to hit a baseball. These guys are disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's not gonna get any easier. So that's why I don't really get that explanation, like, yes, it's hard, but like you're gonna still be facing big league bullpens with high octane stuff after this too, So yes, it's really hard. Yeah, there's gonna be stretches where it's not going right, but the whole point is to figure out why it's not going right. And maybe it's just the ebbs and flows of it. But I agree with what you're saying. It's not like they were facing like even just talking about with the Marlins. They could say, hey, we ran into the Guardians and the Brewer. If we don't pick it up in the next series, then there's something going on with us. But maybe that's just a six game stretch where ran into some tough, tough bullpen arms. You run into the Dodgers and the Padres bullpens and it's just like, ah, gosh, it's just we can't get it going. If you don't get at the starter, you're cooked. I think there's obviously merit to it. But I agree with you, like the whole premise I think with this Phillies offense right now, and like the frustration is that, like, who who is the guy that you're looking forward to coming up in the order outside of the obvious, And I just I just don't know who that is. And you're very much hoping that it gets around to the top. I think it was big that, you know, Turner had the series that he had in Boma, as you mentioned, has continued to be better since he was really not good. But I still look at this team, they're gonna need to, you know, address the back of this lineup. Quick shout. Gabriel Winknis did one of the craziest things I've ever seen on a baseball field. There's a fly ball. He seemingly lost it in the sun. His glasses were on.
Speaker 1: The top of his Oh yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 2: He took the glasses off the top of his hat, put them on his eyes, found the ball again and caught it. I've never in my life seen that, and I would go blind staring at the sun before I do that.
Speaker 1: He was in a bad position and he couldn't make the throw in and the runners advance because of that. Put your damn glasses on. But I agree, it was like, wait, did I just kind of say, see what I thought?
Speaker 2: I saw. The fact that he was able to put the glasses on while the ball was in the air, find the ball and make the catch some one of the craziest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I agree that was cool. Let's talk about the second hottest team in baseball behind the Boston Red Sox, and that is the Baltimore Orioles, as they took on the Astros this weekend and swept them out of their own building. Game one, Orioles win, three to two. Houston had a two to one lead going into the eighth as Peter Lambert was fantastic the best arm this year six innings of one run ball with ten punchies, but then Taylor Ward took the game into his own hands, rocking a two run shot to give Baltimore the lead and the win moved the game two Orioles four to two, and eleven innings, it was a one to one tie going into extras as Arraghetti allowed just one hit and one run over five innings and Trevor Rodgers pitched into the seventh, only allowing one run and striking out eight. Both teams trade runs in the tenth, but an eleventh inning rally started by Tyler O'Neill sealed the Orioles sixth straight win moved the game three. Orioles win, five to two. Brandon Young spun a gem, tossing seven innings a one run ball with seven strikeouts. What a season he's had, rocking a three to two five el Hunter Brown did not make it out of the fifth after allowing four runs as Leo di Taveres and Gunner Henderson had RBI hits, Kobe Mayo and Josel Tuove traded homers. Late Orioles sweep seven straight wins. Are them. They sit forty nine and fifty one. They're two games out of the final wild card spot. But as of course, as soon as they win seven in a row, the Red Sox win thirteen in a row and they're just, you know, what is it, two games above them in the standings. Before we talk about the Orioles this past weekend, I do want to ask you about the Kyle Bradish extension. They bypassed two years of arbitration and they gave him five years ninety million dollars. When that initially came in, I felt that's a good deal. I don't think it's like a steal for the Orioles, where you know, I thought they would give him one to ten by the game ninety. I think for Bradish at twenty nine years old, flashed great stuff in the middle of his career. Tommy John's surgery hasn't thrown a ton of innings, but this year he's been available, he's been really solid. He's shown flashes a few years ago, pitched to a two to eight three era, but of course those there are those injury concerns. Peyton also mentioned in the discord in zone wif is a little bit down right. He's not quite as nasty, but lately he has been so to me just seemed fair. It's almost I thought in my mind, what would an extension me five years? Ninety million? Like, I think they both got it right.
Speaker 2: And I think if that's the case, great because the I thing you look at the free agent market and you say, well, what are we gonna add? You know coming up soon? We might as well just take the time now to lock up our pitching a little bit longer now, Like look, a lot of the question has been around, you know, the pitching staff long term for the Orioles. But now you look at you got Bradish locked up, You've got bas locked up. And I think both you still hope can give you a little bit more and Bratis we've started to see that. I think Bradish can be really, really good, and we've seen that, but at worst, both these guys are going to be solid aning xeting type of arms. I think that from what we've seen, they can give you high threes at worst like a low fours and and I don't think you're ever going to be like regretting that deal. And I think both are going to be better than that. I think both these guys are mid threes guys. I think Bradish in particular can be a low threes guy, and we've seen that, you know, I think of late as he started to settle in more and more so I like it just anytime you're you're locking up more pitching for yourself, especially with where the are kind of at organizationally, I think it's a great move.
Speaker 1: And I really like how this Oriols rotation is rounding into form. Right. You already talked about Bradish and Boz, but Trevor Rodgers continues to dominate our guy. Schroeder in discord, I think brought up a good point where it's like that early blip, like people were like, oh now he's regressing. That could have just been a blip for him, and he's actually a dog because lately, I mean, this guy's been phenomenal. I know he scattered eight hits, but he just has an innate ability to get out of trouble. I think he's going to turn and have a similar kind of stretch that Andrew Abbott has with the Cincinnati Reds, except Trevor Rodgers gets to pitch in a slightly better environment for pitching than pitching in Great American Ballpark. When you make a mistake as a Cincinnati Red pitching there, it's going to hurt you a lot more than where Trevor Rodgers is pitching. But especially you know as a lefty, you're going to face a lot of righties. Those righties want to pull the baseball, and it's really hard to hit his alriety at Camden Yards. But then you keep going down the line like Dean Kramer. Again, he didn't have his best start, but he's still got good stuff, Like he's a perfectly fine back of the rotation type arm at times, like he looks like a really solid number three. And then Brandon Young is god send. I mean, the bullpen is still not great, even though Jenny your Cano is awesome, Rico Garcia is awesome, but without Ryan Helsley, it's been tough like it's not a great bullpen. The offense, they've gotten contributions from guys that they haven't really gotten from all season long. But my biggest takeaway from the Orioles during this hot stretch is this rotation is good. Like it is. They are pitching like a top ten rotation, like every single one of their arms keeps them in ball games.
Speaker 2: I would say it's a high floor. It's a high floor rotation all of a sudden, I very much agree. And then you still have the pops like if Ooz shoves, You're not gonna be shocked if Kramer shot, or excuse me, if I mean Kramer will be a little bit surprised, but not shocked of bratish shoves. I won't be surprised. One other shout a little bit concerned about hundred brown six walks. He's gonna need to figure that out. And I was like, again, the burning question for this rotation was just the volatility Peter Lambert, as you mentioned the ten case, he has been fantastic. What a pickup by them. My last question is is this the best player that we have ever at Just Baseball broke a signing of yes, we broke it. On November three, Peter Lambert agrees to a minor LEIG deal with the Astros. Reports arm weight and of Just Baseball. Twenty eight year old return state side after a season in Japan with the Occult Swallows. I don't know if I don't know if I've me or anyone who just Baseball's broken signing where a player has been better than this. This might be the highest war Just Baseball broken signing that we've ever had.
Speaker 1: I think we're battling currently on sources, like people forget my name is PD sources because I broke the bonuses that JJ Blede got in his contract. People forget I was the first one to say he got two million dollars or two million dollars incentive. So who's having a better year? JJ Blade or Peter Lambert? Because I am going to take credit for the entire thing with Yeah, to say, freak the incentives, that's good.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's gonna hit those incentives.
Speaker 1: I think he is.
Speaker 2: He's got to hit thoseives. He's been great.
Speaker 1: I think you would that one though.
Speaker 2: You actually seriously what a signing by Lamb by the Astros on Lambert and like keeping them afloat. But if they really skid there, that's gonna be another good trade piece.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem though, The Astros still kind of stink and Christian Walker left Saturday's game, Jeremy Pania returned from the IL and then now it looks like he might get back on the I l I understand the Astros have basically said, no matter what we're buying, Like, sure, I guess I understand. Last year of a contract for your GM owners want to buy. I feel like it's one last run. The Astros are forty seven and fiftyfty four, in what world should they buy? Like? I think I think their pride is going to end up being their downfall. Yeah, like them selling these premium pieces and reloading their farm instead of what what are you going to do? W How do you turn this round? This offense is yord on end friends, and the rotation is wildly inconsistent, and you're just waiting for Josh Hater in the bullpen. It's not a good team there. And it's not like, oh, well they've gone unlucky this year. They're expected win losses forty five and fifty six. It's even worse. They got a negative fifty three run differential. That's nine runs better than the Angels. I think it's a bad decision if they buy, Like, am I crazy?
Speaker 2: I don't disagree at all. Like I said, the only way that I could really buy into this team fully, fully buying, is if the starters started stacking good outings going into the not like you say, oh, one hundred Browns back Lambert keeps doing what he's doing, AMAI is only sucking every third start, and you just kind of go from there. Ronel Blanco is gonna come back and make a start this week?
Speaker 1: What? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I agree. I think if this team does not get hot in the next which I just don't think it's gonna be the carousel of injuries and things like that, I think it's going to be hard to justify.
Speaker 1: I agree. All right, Let's go over to the Padres taking on the Royals Game one. Royals win seven to six and ten innings. Lane Thomas homered early and a Michael Massey RBI single in the eighth gave Casey the lead, but the Padres wouldn't go down without a fight. With two outs, ty Franz homer to tie the game and we head to extras. San Diego put up three in the tenth, so the Royals had a mountain to climb, and they did it, highlighted by a two run single by Carter Jensen to walk it off. Lugo and King allowed just one earn run each. Royals win. Game two, Royals win six to one, no extras here. Two Royals runs in the first basically sealed to win thanks to another Lane Thomas home run. He's been on fire. Tatis's homer was the Padres loan run. CAGs and Collins had RBI hits and Salvey hit a two run shot. Moved to Game three, Padres beat the breaks off from nineteen to two. They took out their aggression from losing the first two early and often putting up seven in the first four innings. Welcome to the twenty twenty six season, Jackson Merrill. He went four for six with two homers. Ty Frantz continues his great season as the Padres best hitter. Low Key two for six with two homers and five RBIs. Tatis added a homer as well, ending the game with four RBIs. It was the first time this season he's homered in back to back games, which when I saw that I was like, damn, it's July nineteenth. Luis ren Heifo had three hits pure domination from the Padres in order to avoid the sweep with the Royals. Like I feel like you're just looking for solid contributions from guys like CAGs, guys like Collins. Right, you're trying to build a young core. You're looking for the Robbins to Bobby Wood Junior's batman. But then, of course Bobby Wood Junior didn't play on Sunday because he's dealing with a little bit of backtightness. And on the Padres side, like, I'm starting to see Padres fans like really revolt. I think losing two out of three out of the break to the Royals was a lot of these fans breaking points. But then they win nineteen to two on Sunday, Like now they're putting Padres fans in a blender. And now we're hearing potentially Mason Miller could be dealt that Preller wants to buy and sell. Similarly to the Astros, this is another conversation of why in the hell would you buy? What have you shown all season that tells us you should buy? Do you know who ranks dead last and runs per game this year.
Speaker 2: Arm I'm a good guess.
Speaker 1: The San Diego Padres Hembo came on and dropped that insane stat that still sits with me, that they're run differential from the first inning on until like the seventh of the eighth is like negative eighty and in the ninth inning. They're this unbelievable team. I think they've been arguably the luckiest team in baseball. Yeah, and they're forty nine and fifty fifty. They're fourteen games back. I get it, your three games back to the wild card. But I just again, I don't know how who you're gonna buy. You're gonna buy three bats, You're gonna tell Manny Machado to hit. I don't know what fixes this team. I wouldn't buy, But then again, I'm not aj Brower.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. And I think the thing that may fire him up though, is if I mean, well, first and foremost, for Nando Tatis is gonna end up turning in like a four war season and end up having a pretty nice year, which is great Jackson Merrill. Hopefully this is the start of him picking it up. If he sees Merrill getting it going too. I think that could and I know the second homer came off at Tober, but the first one was left on left off and Noah Cameron, he had a four hit day to wrap up the series. If I think Tatis is already going, but if Merrill gets going a little bit more here Atcha, it's just like you thought he would get going, and he's kind of cooled off a little bit now too. I just don't know what the seam is. And even before that game, I guess Merri was over nine in the series. So I just every time I feel like, oh, maybe they're breaking out of it, these guys slow down, like Machado back under the Mendoza line going into the Sunday game. I don't see how you can aggressively buy. I could get like the buy and sell controllable pieces approach to set yourself up for next year and still kind of give it the college try this year. But yeah, I don't get it. And I think this series, no matter how many runs you scored, with seven of which coming against Tyler Tolbert, like, I don't think it's enough to offset what is still a disappointing series. You know, you drop two out of three to the Royals, which is one of the worst teams in baseball, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt about it. Let's go over two. Next series up, we got the Twins taking on the Cubs. My Twins got back to five hundred by winning Game one five to two. A four run third inning from Minnesota put this one out of reach, highlighted by a three run homer from Ryan Jeffers and Bailey Ober improves the seven and three on the season after pitching into the six and only allowing to earned while striking out seven. However, they fall back below five hundred. Is the Cubs take care of business in games two and three. Game two Cubs win six to two. Michael Bush and Cody Clemens traded homers in the first two innings, but RBI hits from Miguelmayah, Nico Horner, and Ramirez put this one out of reach. Then Clemens homered again, but another Pedro Martinez RBI singles sealed it. Paedro Ramirez, excuse me, wains I wrote on Pedro Martinez paydrove Ramirez. Matthew Boyd was excellent six innings, one earned four k's. His heires at four to one, five and Tod Bradley on the other side five earn runs. Not great, and then Game three certainly not great for the Twins, great for the Cubs though they win ten to one, and Zebbie Matthews got demolished, exiting the game after three innings with eight earned ten runs. Technically, Bregman homer, Nico Horner had a bass clearing triple, Michael Busch had three hits, and on the pitching side, Shota was awesome. It was one of those starts on where you're just watching showed and it's like, all right, he's got location of the fastball and splutter which means he's gonna shove and we just haven't seen it a ton. But when he's got it, he still got it. Tos seven shutty to bring his era below four at three to nine one. He's actually turning in an okay season. This is another one of those series where it's like, I don't have a ton to take away, especially when better team wins two out of three at home as expected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got one big one for you. Though you ask for Nico Horner, you got Nico Horner this series.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: Eight hits, went four for four and one of them drove in four runs in the finale. This was hopefully the coming out party for Nico, but said Nico had to be better. This is the best series he's had all year.
Speaker 1: I agree, pca Uh, I'm not worried. I'm not worried, but I do remember in an unbelievable first half and a really poor second half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's worth following, but you think that the floor has been raised, improved peripherals.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm not sounding any alarms. It's been a few games since it was one series. Wasn't a good one series? Yeah, it wasn't good, That's all I'm saying. But I still think you should be second in MVP odds right now behind him Tawny and he is on bet MGM. Unbelievable season, close to a nine hundreds. But we just be on the lookout because we remember last year and I just hope we don't have a repeat of last year, right, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Bregman had a pretty nice series. I think Ifman and Nico Horner are swinging it the way that they're capable of, and it was obviously a much better series for Nico. I was more of a better final game, I should say for Bregmant, but the AB's look better if Bregman can get going a little bit more Horner, get going a little bit, or this offense starts to get a lot more potent and exciting. I love their like bench pieces like me too. Andrew Ramirez is a boer.
Speaker 1: Offense is just sick.
Speaker 2: He's Ramirez is gonna be a really good player. And I don't know if they dangle him as trade bait or Shaw's to trade bait if he's back and healthy, but they got like shot they can play all over the diamond. Ramirez is just this really fun and somewhat versatile piece, that great back to ball, sneaky pop. I just and then they've got like James Triantos, who plays a couple of different spots, contact oriented that's having a really nice year. Triple A gubs are gonna make some moves and I'm excited to see what they do. But they've got a lot of position players throughout this Org Twins.
Speaker 1: We got to start winning ball games, because if we start losing ball games, Joe Ryan's gone, Ryan Jeffers is gone, Barron Buckston's probably not going.
Speaker 2: No no matter why.
Speaker 1: I'm so clear, but Joe, Ryan and Ryan Jeffers might be on the move. We got to start stringing together wins or else those guys are gone, and those guys are gone, well it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: So yeah, not a good matchup for Zebbie with the wind blowing out there. Oh same with Taj. But Ober solid. This team's pesky, but yeah, they got to get a.
Speaker 1: Going respect the four point three percenters. I got five more series left, but first Reds versus Rockies Game one, Reds wins seven to two. There was a one to one tie going into the fifth, but in the sixth the Reds took control on homer's from Spencer Steer and Gino Suarez now Willie Castro homer to bring the score to five to two. But an inside the Parker, inside the parker homer from Spencer Steer and a homer from Elie de la Cruz wide in the lead. Shout out Gabriel Hughes Right, he's a first round pick from the Colorado Rockies. He pitched well, pitching into the six allowed just two earned runs and his ERA sits at three one four Sneaky good young pitcher. Brady Singer, though, was simply just better, toss seven innings at two run ball and he got the win. Game two, Rockies win ten to three. Eight runs in the first three put this one out of reach for the Reds as TJ. Rumfield led the charge with multiple RBI singles. He ended the day with four hits and four RBIs, one of those hits being a home run. Jose Ravigno homer twice for the Reds, but that was it. Louder got blasted for eight earned over two and a third, raising his zerate to five seven to five, while tomy Yuki Shigano pitched into the seventh, allowing three runs, and in Game three, the rubber match, Reds win nine to six. Hunter Goodman had three homers, though sitting with thirty now on the season, trying to be the eighth catcher ever to hit forty in a single season, but the Reds said nope, this is our game. Last laugh Low Stevenson, and Stewart they all homered. It was nine to one after the fifth as Ryan Feldner just got crushed. Hunter Green toss the quality start while striking out seven and went home with the win. Reds win the series. Something I was thinking about.
Speaker 2: I mean the Reds. The report was that they're going to trade like, you know, some of the expiring guys. Yeah, odds are Geno Suarez won't be a very helpful piece with the way that he's playing this year. However, the first thing I thought about was like, he costs a lot of money, so the Reds are gonna have to pay him down. Anyways, whatever acquires you know, Suarrez is going to acquire him for nothing.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: I just feel like a lot of teams should be lined up to acquire Gino Suarez for nothing and see what could happen.
Speaker 1: Because you know how baseball works. Remember when he was acquired by the Mariners and he did nothing.
Speaker 2: Yes, now this year will be the best deadline acquisition he's gonna rake.
Speaker 1: I agree, That's how baseball works, right, It's like you could get I could see fifteen hobers for Gindo swars like a month and a half for no reason. He gets away from ballpark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he gets away from Great American and becomes better, But when you put him in Great American he was worse. Like it would just be the most baseball thing ever. But I was thinking about them like I would happily take a shot on him for what I eaned two million dollars and I give you a nobody prospect and I can know just do to Deep three and hope it lands with with Gino Like that was an interesting wrinkle to me. JJ Biday is gonna be an underrated deadline piece. I don't know, maybe the Reds have to cover some of the incentives. I don't know what the incentives are, but yeah, I don't think he'll be very expensive financially, so I think a lot of teams will be interested in him. And then yeah, I mean the other side has been the Hunter Goodman rumors. I just we talked about it. I just don't see why they would trade him. I can understand just listening, but with the years of control that he still has, I'm just surprised to keep seeing the Hunter Goodman rumors. I will say. And I'm not a big, like big media conspiracy guy. I do feel like when the Yankees want somebody they and they're not even fully available, certain media members all of a sudden like make them sound more available than they are.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that is accurate. Speaking about the Yankees. They got fleeced in a trade with the Rockies. TJ. Rumfield one of the best rookies in Major League Baseball, and we got on hell shavehi. I mean, he's okay in the bullpen, but TJ. Rumfield won twenty eight WRC plus, which again is park adjusted for cors Field, his OPS is near nine hundred. He had another great series this weekend. What a pickup for Colorado. This was a guy who was blocked by the Yankees and he was one of these older first base prospects where it's like he's got a hit to be valuable at all. News flash, he's hitting. Yes, we got fleeced.
Speaker 2: Great. That was a great pickup by this Rockies front office that it's made some some savvy moves and yeah, I mean you're seeing just certain guys swing it pretty well in that lineup. But yeah, at the end of the day, the Rockies are gonna lose most of the series they play, even against a not very good Reds team, So it's hard to have any other major major takeaways other than that South Short with his twentieth homer. He's a guy. It's just such an exciting building block and we're seeing extensions around the league, and we're seeing the Reds just hand one out to Hunter Green. Sal is quite a good candidate to extend.
Speaker 1: I think if you're the Reds, no doubt about it. Let's go over two Nationals versus A's. Game one, NAT's win twenty three to four. This was an ass kicking from the third inning on Chaparo homer twice ended with four hits. Harry Ford ever since he got called up, he's the best hitter alive. It's been like but it still counts, as did Dalan Lyle. Curtis Mead had four hits, Nunya has had three. Every starter for Washington had a hit. Even Jose Tania, who pinched hit he got a hit. Six of the nine starters had multiple hits. Underneath all of it was a very solid Kate Cavali start, as he tossed six innings a two run ball with nine strikeouts, lowering a zi Are to three seven eight. Move on to Game two, A's kick ass fifteen to one. This time, all A's started early with a five run first started by a Jake Wilson homer who finished the game with three hits. Tyler Soderstrom, Carlos Cortes both homered, McNeil had three hits, every order had at least one RBI, and JT. Ginn was almost better than the offense. He allowed just one hit over six and a third without a run, seven shrikeouts, lowering his area to three, four to six, and zach Lettel did zach Lytel shit. He gave them six innings, but he gave up eight earned. Moved to Game three, where the Nats win five to two in the rubber match, and this was a much more civilized game because Foster Griffin was involved. He just continues his amazing season. Can't forget this guy was kicked out of Major League Baseball, goes abroad, goes to the MPB, comes back, signs a one year, eight million dollar deals. Kind of approve it. Let's see if you can pitch now. He's got a two six eight ERA. After it's going seven innings against this A's team at the sut Drums and Cruiz homered, Harry Ford rocked an RBI double, and the A's losing ways continue. Arm I mean, the A's forty two and fifty seven gauge jump even in that game where the Nats got crushed like he pitched okay, but then these A's bullpen arms just got to rattled.
Speaker 2: This is the worst bullpen I think in the game. Paired with the ballpark award.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the same time, I don't know. I mean that's how you get twins. Bullpen is egregiously paid.
Speaker 2: I just think with this staff, like, it's just it gets so ugly. Sometimes the ballpark doesn't help, but it just gets so ugly, Like the the Athletics clearly have pieces of takatch just kind of this last year, but there's still a lot of things that think they need to sort out going back into next year. Sounds like they're going to be open to some sorts of trades. They've even they could potentially move langal Ears. It sounds like I think that would be kind of crazy. But they're only two years of control and this year is dead, and so how good can you be next year? I think you try to extend that guy, but it sounds like they have tried. He's so close to free agency at this point. Why would you not just kind of wait it out. If you're Shay, You've been better every year. So it's an interesting situation there. Yeah, I think it's gonna get ugly for I mean, it already is, but I think it's gonna continue to be ugly here for the athletics the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: I don't really have anything else, do you now?
Speaker 2: Cool to see Harry Ford up there, hopefully gets some opportunity. He's really bad at the start of the erent tryple a and as hit his stride and still think can be a solid big league catcher and as a unique athlete. Back there, Dylan Cruz continues to kind of struggle. It's been frustrating there and then it's just been nice to see Jacob Wilson pick it up kind of with the with the injury behind him, and obviously he's a big part of when they're going right. There's just his success and.
Speaker 1: JKG who's Jacob Wilson's filling, But they're finding other roles for him because he just keeps hitting. That's a that's a really cool story. All right. Let's move over to Tigers versus Angels Game one. Tigers win two to one. Troy Melton and Kadamontero combined for nine innings of five hits, a lot and fourteen strikeouts, but Detroit found themselves down one zero going into the top of the ninth, and in the ninth how You Lee ripped a two run double that ended up being the difference on the Angel side. Shout Outdevers. He was awesome. He saw six shutout innings with seven strikeouts, but his team just couldn't come through for him, and in Game two, Tigers win seven to zero. Scooball looked like Scooble, which means was an auto win for the Tigers, as he threw seven shutout innings with nine strikeouts. Six runs over the first two innings put this game out of reach entirely. Colt Keith went four for four with two RBIs and Spencer Torkelsen hit two dingers. But we moved to Game three, the Angels salvage. They win three to two. McGonagall Homer delete off the game. Riley greenomered in the ninth. But in between all of that is where this game was won. Perraza and Netto had RBI singles, so Layer had an RBI ground out, which was all the Angels needed. Is Ryan Johnson pitched well, two hits, one run over five innings, and then the Angels bullpen shut the door. Scary moment Casey Mize exited in the fourth after taking a comebacker off the left wrist.
Speaker 2: One nine nine.
Speaker 1: I still haven't seen an update from the Tigers on his like X rays negative X. I don't know, so I just wrote down TBD. Maybe they gave it update while we've been recording. I haven't seen anything on the wrist at all. But it's just so unfortunate because when mis has been on the mound, he's been dynamite.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: In this start, right, he only had given up one run. Wasn't his best start, but it was one run through three and third, like a normal Casey my start where he was probably gonna end up with five or six innings of two run ball like he's done all season long. Now, some injuries have been you know, soft tissue stuff or whatever, and some have been stuff like this. It's just an unfortunate injury to a guy like this.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the weird place. It sounds like the wrist is okay. I know he wasn't complaining a ton about it. We'll get the groin checked out as well and see how he feels tomorrow. It's hot. A lot of things were going to make that decision, so I guess Miss Groin's bothering him too, so hopefully he's okay, because yeah, this team's gonna have a chance. They need mis every fifth day too.
Speaker 1: So the Tigers currently sit, what are they in the standings right now? They're forty six and fifty three. It's funny they're expected win loss based on the run differential is fifty three and forty six. Again, we were talking in our discord and we were talking about whether or not School should get traded, and I was like, I think they should. I don't think they will, And someone brought up a good point where it's like, Scott Harris is such a model driven guy. I feel like when push comes to shove, he's going to see that they probably have a thirty to twenty five percent hits, especially with the Orioles stepping up like the way that they have right that, it just seems like the playoffs are out of reach, where the best thing for this franchise is trading schoobl Like, I think a complete disaster. And to be honest with you, I'm kind of worried that this is more probable than not, as in, this is the most likely scenario for the Tigers is that they stand pat They don't trade schooble, they don't trade miise, they don't trade really any of these expiring contracts unless it's like a guy. They don't need it all that. They trade for nothing, and they don't really add either. They add like cool nerdy pieces.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to.
Speaker 1: See like stuff models for a reliever and we're like, ooh, that's like a cool pickup and we announced it. It's like a sneaky under the radar move on one of our podcasts. And he throws like twelve innings for them and does well but doesn't end up mattering.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what I said. I think it happened. I think they're they're they're gonna trade. I think it's in the last episode, like they'll trade a couple of bad prospects for a couple of bad relievers and probably say they bought. But the thing is three games at Chicago, so that's gonna be tough. Four against Kansas City, and if you want a good temperature test, three against Baltimore right after that, yep. And if you survive that temperature test, temperature test, how about going into the deadline with three at the sun so you have seven games against two of the worst teams in the American League, and then you have three against a team that you will have to separate yourself from. The worst case scenario is you take three out of four from Kansas City, you drop two out of three from Baltimore, and then you take two out of three from the Athletics. You have no idea what the hell you are.
Speaker 1: You just do what you're supposed to do instead of giving Scott Harris any indication of which way you're headed.
Speaker 2: And that's where I would look at that. And I think Scott Harris, as you mentioned, is a very like he's just very not only just analytical, but he's a realist. He's gonna look at the numbers and he's make a decision based on that. If they don't handle that, I think it'll be a really interesting decision. But there's a real world where with the way that this is set up, we'll see how it goes in Chicago. That's going to be a tough start to this. But even if if you drop two out of three, if you go out and take three out of four or sweep Kansas City, win that Baltimore series, and then win that Athletics series and you go into the deadline. I don't see how you can move to derek'schooble. And I think that's a very real scenario. And I think that's good because they're gonna be what game two games out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't, can't, And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't don't envy Scott Harris's position. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: I was just about to say that I don't envy it at all. Let's go over to the Giants taking on the Mariners. Game one, Giants win seven to zero. Landon Roupe out dueled Bryce Miller, tossing seven shutout innings with only two hits allowed, lowering a Zeria to three to nine to eight. Bryce Eldridge homers and A Dames hit a grand slam. But Game two Mariners get revenge win four to three and ten innings. But the Giants got out to a three tozer lead, highlighted by homers from Rafael Devers and Willia Damez. But the Mariners just wouldn't go quietly. Web cruised through six innings scoreless before Cole Young timed him up for a three run homer, tying the game, and then in the tenth, a sackfly from Julio sealed the comeback win moved a game three Mariners win six to three. The Giants again got out to a two zero lead, highlighted by another Bryce Eldridge hall run, but from there it was all Seattle. Luke Rayley stepped up as a pinch hitter in a three to three ball game in the six and rocked one to right center to take the lead, and then Cole Young hit a two run shot to give them some breathing room. Gilbert tossed the quality start with ten K's his sits at three to three to eight, and then he handed it off to Bizarto, Spire and Munnos to close it out. I thought Sunday was pretty important for the Mariners because once I saw the Giants get out to that two to zero lead, I was ready to just eviscerate the Mariners because they're at bats. I mean, this offense just looked awful, Like one swing from Cole Young to tie that game up was the only offense that they showed in the first two games, like at all. And then they managed to win that game. But then they got out to that that deficit early. But then the offense came to play like shout out, but I have another rant that I want to go on. I tweeted out cal Rawley has one of the biggest drop offs from season to season since I started covering baseball, and the tweet went viral, right, I think it's near two million views, And it was the single dumbest comments section that I have seen on one of my own posts in the history of me being on social media, and it's been now for five plus years, almost six. Now. Number one, you have the people who called it.
Speaker 2: You had called he was going to hit sixty again.
Speaker 1: I knew that he was going to struggle. Really, Einstein, no sher Damas. You thought he was going to go from a nine win player to hitting a buck sixty with a five to seventy five ops, and you're victory lapping it is if you are just some genius. We all thought he would regress a little bit when you jump from a four to five win catcher to a nine win catcher. We all said that nobody in their right mind predicted one sixty with a five seventy ops. That's number one. Number two. A lot of those same people were pretending he's a one year wonder. Have you ever watched outside of last season? From twenty twenty two to twenty twenty four, this guy was nineteenth in all of baseball and f four. He started his career in twenty twenty one with a cup of coffee. I don't even count that. Twenty twenty two to twenty twenty four is was his career before the sixty home run season. Four win player, four win player, five win player one fifteen one to twenty WRC plus thirty home runs a year, great catcher, perpetual top five guy, and then he sets the world on fire with sixty homers in a nine win season, So to say he's a one hit wonder is just playing wrong. And then you have the quote unquote old heads chirping me because of my age that I haven't been around to see some saying, well did you forget about Cody Bellinger? I thought you covered the game. Hey, newsflash. Cody Bellinger after that twenty nineteen epic run, dropped to a set an eighty eight ops in the COVID season, not a there's a two hundred ops gap between him and what cal Rawley is doing right now. And it was such a short sample that does it even matter?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I realized the next season was bad, but that's not.
Speaker 2: What I was also hurt, you know, shoulder age.
Speaker 1: Right, so that's wrong, not even close. And then even older people than that are saying, I guess we're just gonna forget about Brady Anderson. I get back Brady Anderson at fifty jacks, you're right. And then he fell off to be an eight sixty ops guy with twenty four home runs and then back to back to back to back seasons with an OPS over OPS plus over one hundred, not even in the same ballpark. Yeah, there was, and the visceral reaction. I swear I wish I didn't tweet it out because people like celebrating. That's the weird part season when it's clear he's been working with an oblique injury. This guy is not healthy, but he's playing through injuries because he's a bulldog. I like, when I woke up the next morning, I I hated that comment Sectually. There was not a smart comment out of the seven hundred comments. It was just visceral hate, propaganda, misinformation, and people just straight up lying. The worst comment section I've seen on one of my I don't know ever.
Speaker 2: I've noticed it with Cal weirdly too. It's just like there's been this kind of level of dancing on the gravel. But I don't know why. Yeah, I thought he was so much fun last year and.
Speaker 1: Awesome, good dude, like great for the game one. The derby is so electric.
Speaker 2: But that's frecking social media.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just as cuctual level where I was like, I'm even yeah, two million views, I want to delete it. I was like, I hate that.
Speaker 2: I even know you need that? You need that twelve dollars and forty six cents from h from Elon.
Speaker 1: Actually you know what, I looked it up. Do you don't have a billion viewspace?
Speaker 2: I think like five bucks?
Speaker 1: Right, eighteen dollars? Oh nice, thanks you that's a coffee and a half trillion dollars. But Twitter, Yeah, but now I agree.
Speaker 2: With you, and I it's part of the reason why I think he's only gonna settle back, and eventually it might not be this season.
Speaker 1: But I mean, this was a bad series again.
Speaker 2: I'll take the over on three war next year and Bellinger like it was a major shoulder issue. Bad year. The next year and the year after that was still bad. He had to really find it again physically, and then he did so we'll see. But yeah, that whole discourse drives me insaying one other shout, Bryce Eldridge, He's not slowing.
Speaker 1: Down really either.
Speaker 2: Hit another homer today on Sunday. He's up to a one thirty eight WRC plus. Him striking out twenty five percent of the time is incredible because in the minor league he struck out roughly thirty percent of the time. So to be doing that at the big league level now and a two hundred and thirty one plait appear in sample as a testament to a guy that is much much better in the box. Talk about moral victories, that's a big one if you're a Giants fan and you're you're the Giants front office looking forward to next year. As is Land and Route Mariners did what they're supposed to do, they take the two of three, and you know, hopefully they can just keep building on these series and just even in this series, I was fine, if not for Cole Young just being a dog and leaving the yard twice, series might look a little bit different. So I'm interested to see how they follow this one up.
Speaker 1: And the Mariners have kind of done this all year. Well, they'll win two out of three and then lose the next series. So I'll be watching with a close, full eye. Can they buck that trend and start putting together series wins? Because we see the talent like clearly they you know, they're second in American League Penados right now on Ben and Jmr. My gosh, it's because the roster is still great, right, It's just about putting it together consistently, which the Mariners have not done. But prove us wrong. You'll do it. Go put it together consistently, and I will be the first to change my tune because when the Mariners are playing well, they are electric, and I'm rooting for them to play well. All Right, we got the last series last, but certainly not least unless you're a Yankee fan. Uh Dodgers Yankees Game one Daughters went two to one. Garrickle was cruising six shudy before he went out for the seventh. He walked Mookie and then Boone came out to get him, but he convinced him to stay in months. He made him pay, hitting a two run homer that ultimately decided the game. Susaki on the other side. I think a couple of roundups ago. I told Jack, I'm pretty sure. I was like, I just don't believe in Roki in the rotation. He hit one hundred miles an hour seventeen times. Yeah?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: He hit one hundred and one multiple times earlier on in the season. He's only hit over one hundred miles an hour fifteen times. This season he hit seventeen freaking times. Yeah, a Yankee stadium. He looked awesome. He had that in the NP too. It just hasn't been there since he came here. He must be feeling good. I felt great, of course, it was that Yankee Stadium just put them in his back pocket. Five and two thirds, no earned runs. He did give up one run, but it was on a passball, didn't even count and didn't matter anyway. Todgers win Game two. Dodgers went eight to two. The Dodgers man first inning, Cam Schlitzler strikes out the side. Second inning, Max Schuman loses one in the sun, but that was the only runner to get on base, and then the Dodters timed up Cam Schlitzler's fastball combo and they fouled off a ton of pitches and drove up his pitch count. He exited after his four and a thirty allowed three runs. Otani, Freddy and Pie has all at RBI hits. It just speaks to the greatness of the Dodgers. I thought Cam Slitler stuff looked good, but the Dodgers once they got you, good luck. Five run eighth inning from the Dodgers put this one just completely out of reach as a Grisham homer and a Vold Prbi single where the lone Yankees runs. Yamamoto told the bullpen to take the day off.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 1: He went the entire game, cg nine innings, four hits, two runs, and struck out seven. And we were recording during Sunday Night Baseball. The Yankees are actually winning going on, Ryan Yarborough, Paul Blackburn, Bred Headrick. How about the boys, I mean, shut up. Paul Blackburn two eight e ra A and Brett Headrick's been I think the Yankees best reliever this year. He's got a one four eight. Will kleinb give up a run early and then the rest of the Daughter's bullpen how they even score it? Gold Schmidt RB I double No Gold is a double. Cody Bellinger is an RBI. He's two for two. That's kind of it. O. Tony's one for three. I mean it's one zero on the seventh. Kind of want to end the show to go watch the Element. Yeah, he's probably blowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's That's basically the biggest thing here is if the Yankees can salvage the series feel a little bit better, they get swept. It's just continues to be a brutal stretch and you're just counting the days until you can get Aaron Judge back. Talk about everything we said about McGreevy that the modern, even nastier version of that is mmoto or you're anybody if you're pitching Ninja Highlight Sky that doesn't even watch the game and just likes to see the clips, or you're an old school guy that likes to see a pitch or pitch your my Moto appeals to everybody. And I thought that was a perfect example in that in that complete game, and then you mentioned the game plan knowing that, hey, you're probably not gonna stack a ton of hits against Cam Schlitzler, so let's just get him out of the game early. That was quickly their plan, and the Dodgers did an unbelievable job of that spoiling and just working up that pitch count. This is just an example of why they're such a good team. I don't even think you think the Yankees have had that bad of a series. They're struggling, but I think the Dodgers are just flexing their muscles.
Speaker 1: Austin Wells, Grugo te and his ops starts with a four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be hard if he's struggling like that.
Speaker 1: This block of Dominguez Jazz, Volpi, Wells, Caballero stinks. There's no other way to put it. Like, Tamiga is nice, got a hit today. You know, Volpi's actually been pretty good defensively. He's not the problem. It's just they got nothing from those guys. Yeah, Ellinger has been struggling. I mean, Paul Goldschmid is hitting, you know, third in this lineup. That's where they're at right now. The Yankees are a blow five hundred team when Aaron Judge is not in the lineup. Yeah, that's who they are right until Aaron Judge returns, which again we got an update I think a few days ago it's like better but not good enough, not even starting baseball activities yet. Yeah, so like if I don't have another GM, I don't envy the position. Brian Cashman, are you going all in at this deadline with this team? Like you shouldn't. Yankee fans are going to demand it though, and then they're gonna get real pissed when they don't make that many moves, and I'm gonna be like, I get it. Yeah, I would add to this team. They stink. They stink Without Aaron Judge, they stink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fair fair, They've definitely it's been rough and some guys could get it going, like Bellinger is better than this Ben Rice like stinging like he did, you know, through the first few months of the season. A little bit more, you can start to get excited. Jazz just needs to be better. Those guys are doing that. This team is not bad, it's just none of them are doing that, especially without Judge in there. The last note I had on the Dodgers, I'm just I'm seated for Roki Sasaki's next start. Oh if it looks like that, yeah, holy crap, because like I said with it with my report when he came into the league was fastball because of the shape, it's got to be ninety nine to one hundred and then everything else is going to really play. And it's when it's ninety six ninety seven it's too flat and hitters get to it. But with that splitter and you're you're exceeding one hundred. That will be the NPB version of Sasaki, which we haven't really seen, especially as a starter.
Speaker 1: So that I'll do it for this episode of The Just Baseball Show. Ar we went almost two hours again, but hey, we had to talk about a lot of baseball. Hopefully everybody enjoyed this episode of The Just Baseball Show. Before you leave, if you just smash the like button and subscribe button if you haven't already, And for all those listening to us live or listening to us on audio after the fact, if you made it all the way here, we really really appreciate you. And the best way to support the show for free you just go to your Spotify or Apple podcasts app You don't even have to leave a written review. If you don't got time, just click the five star button. It seriously is the best way to support the show, and of course tell your friends word of mouth. Let them know if you like the show, and if you want to get you know, spend the little money with us. You can get yourself from just Baseball Merch. It's sick. I'm rocking the hat. Go get yours in the episode description. And if you want to join the best baseball group chain in the world. I'm telling you, guys, even if you just joined for two weeks, seven dollars and fifty cents, join for the deadline. It is some of the best times in the discord. And I'm also sending out my NFL futures, so if anyone's interested in that, you can find the link in the episode description. Arm I think the visuals were okay with no podcast.
Speaker 2: P's okay. I forgot to do a couple, but I thought we did all right.
Speaker 1: I know there was somewhere you were talking. I couldn't fight them, but that it was too late. But I'd give us a C minus.
Speaker 2: We pass. Let's take it.
Speaker 1: We passed, we get a seventy one percent. We'll get podcast ped back.
Speaker 2: It's like college all over again.
Speaker 1: Exactly college all over again for arm Laton. Peter Apple will see you Tuesday Live, one thirty pm. Serion here on YouTube with that thank you, everybody