Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning starting at seven am Easter.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 2: All right, right now, Arom's Foreign minister is an Islamawad Pakistan meeting with the Prime minister. He also today the President's Millie's envoy, Steve Whitkoff and his son in law Jared Kushner are set we think to.
Speaker 5: Go to Pakistan.
Speaker 2: As we were just mentioning David, we don't have timing.
Speaker 6: On that yet.
Speaker 7: No timing.
Speaker 8: The problem seems to be Aron says there's no meeting plan with those KEYUS negotiators, so here to talk about what is likely to play out or could playut. I suppose it's blimber Port Eric Martin, who was listening in Islam about for that first round of talks and covers the State Department for us here at Bloomberg get us up to speak on what the administration is saying about the prospect for these talks. I think that there was a lot of anticipation going into that first round. It does seem like the expectations are perhaps a bit more muted.
Speaker 9: Well, certainly this weekend the talks have been immoving or this week the talks have been a moving target. We saw on Tuesday a lot of anticipation waiting for the Vice President to get on a plane to go to Pakistan. We saw the last minute changes to that reporting in terms of a meeting in Washington and Envoys Kushner and Whitkoff coming to Washington instead of going to Pakistan. So, like everything, this is very fluid situation. And remember it takes a long time to go to Pakistan. To get to Pakistan, I experienced a couple of weeks ago. I'm still recovering my voice from that trip. And so you know, I did the math. It took about twenty six hours last time around for the Vice President's playing to get to Pakistan. Seventeen in the air, and then there's twenty six hours difference from Washington, and so you know, the earliest we could potentially see them in Pakistan if they were leaving now, would be Sunday morning.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 9: This is, you know, an evolving situation, but I think it's a good sign that we're seeing the envoys going rather than a principle like the vice president, because that takes some pressure off of the process. It means that there's not the same pressure to deliver. Usually the president or vice president is the closer they go in when there's a deal. We stayed up all night a couple of weeks ago, a couple of Saturdays ago, waiting for the Vice president to come out, fifteen hours of constant talks, twenty one hours on the ground.
Speaker 6: It was just exhausting.
Speaker 9: And so you know, we've seen the Iranian signaling that they're not talking directly to the US, they're not expecting to that they're expecting to go on to Russia and to Oweman this weekend, and so we're kind of back to the stage where we're having notes passed between each side and where they're not all sitting together at the table. But some positive signs from the reporting we've had from Iran in that they have a written response to the US proposal and maybe dialing things down the notch in terms of the envoys less of a press presence. Most of us are here in Washington trying to get David out to a party tonight, and so you know, it's something where there's just a little bit less intensity than what we had two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting because we've been talking about how it might complicate things the mismatch.
Speaker 5: Levels of folks.
Speaker 2: Right, because the Iranian foreign minister is over there, you generally want a pair like with like you expect the Secretary of State to go over there, and whether the Iranians would be willing to engage in someone.
Speaker 5: But as our team.
Speaker 2: Pointed out, you know, there's this very special status that whit coffin Kushner have that is not unlike other administrations. And to your point, one of the criticisms has been the lack of working level meetings. So it seems like you're saying maybe because they're not there, they can actually get things done.
Speaker 6: There's just less pressure.
Speaker 9: No one's necessarily expecting a press conference from Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner when they come out. That's not been traditionally the way things have worked, whether it's been in Geneva, in Islamabads.
Speaker 2: Despite all efforts by you and others.
Speaker 9: Despite our best efforts as stalkers to you know, to chase them down hallways and get them to tell us what's going on behind closed doors. The fact that there's not typically that readout immediately after means that you can kind of lower the temperature a little bit and maybe find more flexible landing zones in a process like this. But of course, as you said, Christina, the credibility that the envoys bring the president's son in law and a close friend of the president. They have that credibility which you don't necessarily have from a career staff or somebody you know in the Foreign Service or the National Security Council. So, you know, still important and still having that kind of key access and influence and ability that space to negotiate, but just a little bit less pressure than when it's the vice president and all eyes of the world are just on on that hotel.
Speaker 8: Eric Martin, great to see you. Eric Martin covers the State Department for US here at Plomberg.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Nice to see you back all right.
Speaker 2: Joining us now is a Republican Congress Michael McCall of Texas. He of course serves on the Foreign Affairs and Homeland Security committees. You know who I did see out last night, David.
Speaker 7: Gerra wasn't me.
Speaker 8: It was the chairman of Meritis was out.
Speaker 5: Looking very respectful. British embassy event. Nothing on tour. Thank you for getting up early.
Speaker 10: I know it's it's a thank you. I'll be seeing at the Bloombirg table tonight.
Speaker 5: Excellent, excellent.
Speaker 2: This is how we could exert pressure to get to this early. I mean, you heard Eric, your very experienced in foreign policy. What do you give the odds of these talks succeeding in any kind of near term timeline.
Speaker 10: I don't see any big breakthrough in the near term. I think his analysis is correct. Ney to lower the expectations as smart if you have the Vice president there that that's usually when you sign the deal.
Speaker 11: So I think I think they're doing this in the right way.
Speaker 10: You know, Ron is notorious for being dilatory in its tactics, uh, you know, trying to get to a deal but then pulling the rug out at the last minute, and then when you do get a deal, it's trust but verify, and it's very hard to trust them, and I think that's the big issue.
Speaker 8: I'm curious we've been following this. As Eric said, everything's changing hour by hour. I'm curious for you, as Jeromeritis of the Fort of Faris, but are you getting the information that you need about the diplomatic objectives and how these talks are unfolding where you like us kind of fumbling a bit here trying to figure out who's doing what and who's running point.
Speaker 10: I mean it could be better. I mean even in the prior administration. Now we get calls from the Secretary of State, I think on.
Speaker 5: This democratic administration, right.
Speaker 10: I mean, they've been very close to the vest on this and I understand that. But it's also important to reach out to Congress, where under Article one, a separate but equal branch of government.
Speaker 11: And so I've been to Islamabad.
Speaker 10: He's right, it's a very long ways away and it's a very different.
Speaker 11: Part of the world.
Speaker 10: I do applaud Pakistana for stepping up and being an intermediary between the two parties. I'm not very sanguine under this regime in Iran that you're going to have anything in the short term. I plowed the President for not hitting you know, civilian infrastructure that's almost an active you know of, to be honest with you, and so I think this is the right path. I know the markets have responded very well to this. I don't think it's any best interest to see this drag on, the war drag on, if you will, when they see rising gas prices. There's a lot of pressure actually on the White House to get this thing resolved. But I don't know, and I think Iran knows that too, And I always am very skeptical.
Speaker 11: I think they're always trying to play us.
Speaker 2: But to that point, as we've talked about the reason this administration pulled out of the Iran Nuclear Agreement the first time, as they said, because Iran couldn't be trusted and even if they answered a deal, it wasn't worth a piece of paper it was written on. Those facts on the ground have not innately changed. Are they going to be able to get a better deal this time around?
Speaker 10: Well, the JCPOA would have legalized a nuclear bomb in Iran today. That's what we were saying back when we oppose that.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 10: I look, as long as this regime is in power, you're gonna have this problem. And we've had this problem since nineteen seventy nine. Every present since it has said no nuclear you know, warhead in Iran, but no present's really done anything. They tried the jcpoa President Trump's first president, to actually.
Speaker 11: Act and hit Iran where it hurts.
Speaker 10: But I think, I do think in the early days of this, when the I Told was with his cabinet underground and they were annihilated and taken out, there was a hope that there could be a regime change at that point in time.
Speaker 11: But the fact is it didn't happen.
Speaker 10: And I don't know if the American people of the appetite to stay in long term to finish that job, or whether we hand that off.
Speaker 11: To Israel and let Masade try to do that. I don't know. But as long as this regime is in power, we're gonna have this problem.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you about that, because there's a big piece in the Times about the state of the new Supreme Leader grievously getting a lot of medical care from a very small group of physicians. People are passing notes to get to him because they're worried about giving an indication of where.
Speaker 7: He might he might be.
Speaker 8: But what you're talking about racist this point of who does the US need to talk to if it's that, if it's objectives here are to get some sort of regime attention to really change Iran?
Speaker 7: Was that a colossal misstep?
Speaker 8: Do you think by this administration killing those who could have been perhaps partners and trying to change the courts in Iran?
Speaker 12: Well after the.
Speaker 10: Twelve Day War they didn't step up and they were not willing negotiating partners.
Speaker 11: Now they're no longer.
Speaker 10: On this in this world, but there is a line of session in Iran and that's taking place. Their Foreign minister seems to be the one that really the sort of the point of contact for this negotiation. But they had you know, they're going to continue to you know, as long as this regimes in power. You know this problem and so I mean, they've been a source of torture and agony and terror in the Middle East since nineteen seventy nine, and until that regime is gone, it's gonna be hard to have peace in the Middle East.
Speaker 11: It's gonna be hard.
Speaker 10: As Jared Kushner goes there, who is the architect of the Abraham Accords, to have normalization between Saudi's and the Arab world and Israel. We were getting so close to that. That's when October seventh happened. Happened when those talks of normalization were going on, Iran saw that it lit up its proxies, and that's why we had October seventh.
Speaker 2: But given David's question and the fact that to your point, that regime did not fall, it is still there and possibly a hardened form.
Speaker 5: Is the Iran we have now.
Speaker 2: Potentially more dangerous and unpredictable than the Iran we had before this conflict started.
Speaker 10: I mean possibly their nuclear their military industrial complex has been severely degraded.
Speaker 11: And that's the good news.
Speaker 10: The bad news is the regime still continues to move forward, and I think you're gonna continue to have that problem of trusting them.
Speaker 11: And it's a very fanatical.
Speaker 10: This is not Venezuela in a decay appetation of Venezuela. That was a beautiful military operation. This one far more difficult. It's a larger country. It's hard to effectuate regime change without troops on the ground, which I would not recommend. I think we put our troops in the ground there, they become magnets for the jihadists. We saw that in Iraqi, in Afghanistan for twenty years. I don't think that would be a good idea. I do think Israel though, with Masad, Remember, they can carry out political assassinations. Congress has made that illegal. They can do things we can't, and I think maybe they're perhaps in a better position to try to effectuate that.
Speaker 11: It's very complicated.
Speaker 8: Though increasingly when we talk about Roan, we're talking about China and the three which China's advantaged by this war continuing.
Speaker 7: I'm curious if the President were to call you.
Speaker 8: Up and ask for your counsel ahead of his trip to China, what you would say, What are the objectives he should have in making that meeting that having that meeting with President Chief that's been postponed once already.
Speaker 11: I would lay conditions.
Speaker 10: I mean, the meeting itself is a concession of any president to meet with Chairman she who is perhaps our greatest adversary in the world right now, the great power competition, and I would lead conditions. First, I would say, hey, stop assisting Iran in the region. I would say the same thing to mister Putin, stop providing drone technology, stop providing targeting information on our military. I would say the same thing to Chairman she I'm not going to meet and have a daytime like meeting.
Speaker 11: If you're going to continue to arm RAN.
Speaker 10: With your software that helps with your drone technologies, that should be an absolute precondition to any meeting.
Speaker 2: We've only got about three seconds for RIF to let you go, But I do want to ask you about the cabinet shuffling we're seeing and the changes in leadership and the president's inner court. Do you think this is a positive thing or do you think this is a sign of disarray and chaos in the White House.
Speaker 10: Well, some was due to I think, you know, malpractice on the part of the cabinet members. I mean, the Labor Secretary had some really gross violations going on. I think Christynam is a colleague of mine. I respect her, but the you know what they did with Bavino and how they handled that situation. You know, I was a little surprised by the Attorney General Pam Body's firing. There's a piece though, that came out in Politico today. It talks about this very issue. He has a limited window on confirmations, so there are a few more of these firings in the queue, as I understand it. And so the advice was, look, if you're gonna do this, do it now while you have time to get confirmations done before the midterms.
Speaker 11: Otherwise, don't do it.
Speaker 5: He was an next, you want to preview, you have information that we don't.
Speaker 12: I'm not getting well say it for the dinner.
Speaker 11: You can read Politico.
Speaker 5: Person Michael call.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Always love me to see you, sir.
Speaker 3: Good Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 7: Right after this, global.
Speaker 2: Oil prices have climbed back towards their wartime high as the conflict in Iran hits the eighth week. But have we seen the worse of the sticker shock when it comes to energy prices?
Speaker 7: With us now in studio is Dan jurg And Vice chairman of SMP Global.
Speaker 8: He is also the Pulitzer Prize winning author of the prize the Epiquest for Oil, Money and Power and a new book, The New Map, Energy, Climate and the Clash of Nations. Dan, great to have you with us once again, and I want to pick up with what our college josh win Grove was saying just a moment ago, he's in West Palm Beach with the President. We talked about this notion of kind of energy price relativism that the President seems perhaps pleasantly surprised that oil prices hadn't climbed as much as maybe he feared they would, raising the specter of two hundred dollars a barrel oil. Oil prices are higher, but we're not at two thousand and eight prices, for instance. What do you make of what he's talking about there, the fact that the spike has been sizable, but maybe not as bad as he and others might have feared.
Speaker 13: I think it's well, that's true if you go back to their two thousand and eight or twelve to fourteen, prices were over one hundred dollars a barrel. If you put that in today's dollars, it's like one hundred and sixty dollars barrel. So we haven't seen that, and there wasn't that same kind of disruption that we're seeing now. But the question is it still the relative calm before the storm. The longer this goes on, the more the risk on the upside grow because the impacts are being felt. The last cargoes have arrived in Europe, in Asia and inventors are being drawn down.
Speaker 5: Is that what we're waiting for? Because my question is, why isn't it that bad?
Speaker 2: I'm confounded as a foreign policy person about the markets and the resilience and how any sign of life from these negotiations from the White House. They seem to look for any shred of evidence that things are going to be okay.
Speaker 5: Why is that happening?
Speaker 13: You see a divergence between the financial markets, which, if you say, respond to the news, you know a deal is near or they're going to negotiate, and the reality of people in Asia actually not having enough oil shortages, rationing businesses closing down, restaurants not operating because they don't have energy.
Speaker 12: So Asia is one area.
Speaker 13: Europe is starting to feel a particularly jet fuel and we're seeing it at the gasoline pump.
Speaker 12: But it's been there before.
Speaker 8: Talk a bit more about that, the pain that many people around the world are feeling. And yes, we're fixated on the market price and futures and all of that, but there's a very real cost that's already taking effect here.
Speaker 7: And I'm curious sort of how you assess that level of pain.
Speaker 13: I think, what was you know, I think one of the things that people didn't think about before this happened. If they thought about the Straight of Horror Moves, they thought about oil, maybe they thought about natural gas and energy. They didn't think about fertilizer. They didn't think about helium, they didn't think about aluminum, they didn't think about petrochemicals. And it turned out that that region is much more integrated into the global economy because of all the economic development there. So it produces what is it about thirty forty percent of the world's helium, which you need to make semiconductors.
Speaker 12: Or MRI machines.
Speaker 13: So this is actually unlike all the other things we would talk about in the last twenty years, this is a much bigger disruption of the global economy. But it's Asia because basically, economically, the Strait of Horror Moves went east. Eighty percent of the oil, ninety percent of the energy went to Asia, and that's where the shortfall is in ways that people really didn't model.
Speaker 8: I saw thought a bureau of the International energ Agency saying we were facing the biggest energy security threat in history, And I wonder if you agree with that assessment of the moment that I'm very curious what Dan Jurgen's perspective is on this moment.
Speaker 7: In the wider re.
Speaker 13: Story, I think this is the biggest energy disruption we've ever seen. But as you say, it's ironic that we're not seeing the full price impact, and so time is really the key factor.
Speaker 5: Here when you look at this, is it so bad?
Speaker 2: Because geographically there's just really no alternative as there have been in some other conflicts. There Obviously there are pipelines that go out to the red seat, but you just can't get that volume through anywhere else. And as we've also been talking about, how concerned are you that this could be a chronic problem. Just because Iran agrees to something in the room doesn't mean they're going to change their minds if they've shown they have the capacity to shut this down.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there was until this happened, there was a thing called the TSS, the traffic Separator system, where people understood that Okay, in an orderly way, this goes this way, this goes this way. Now there's going to be uncertainty over it, and it raises questions not only about the Strait, but it raises the question about freedom of seas, on which the world economy and world trade really depends.
Speaker 12: So I think there's we come out of this.
Speaker 13: There's going to be an uneasiness about it, and so much will be critical as to what the outcome will be. Will there be an actual system and understanding of how this operates or is it something that will fluctuate.
Speaker 7: We last spoke with you eight weeks ago, I think the beginning. At the beginning, yes, and it was on the eve.
Speaker 5: It was eight weeks ago.
Speaker 12: I feel like you were just here, Okay, sorry.
Speaker 8: Continue, You are the eve of going to run your conference in Texas Sarah Week, and I'm very curious with that in the rear view mirror, what those conversations were like. I imagine that your agenda had to be adjusted and changed as a result of what was happening in the Middle East, But what were the conversations, like executives that you had on stage, indeed had on the sidelines.
Speaker 12: So I think there were two things.
Speaker 13: One goes to what we were talking about, which is the sense that the market was underpricing risk. The logger goes on and I think that was a very strong message and from the company people you heard they were focused on constraints, logistics, how do you get supplies, how do you make up for supplies, So they were not looking at what the futures markets were doing expectations. They were saying, how do we deliver oil? The other big thing. Of course, the theme of the conference was big tech meets the energy industry. Where you're going to get the electricity for all the AI development and what will be the sources and so that was the theme that was in place before the crisis, but you could see really when it was in late January when the military build up started, and that's prices were already rising before the war started.
Speaker 5: So what is a solution for that?
Speaker 2: I mean, as we talk about big tech data centers, this sudden spike in requirement coming at the same time there is an energy crunch. Green energy is not very popular right now, Alternatives are not very popular right now. Is that something that needs to be reevaluated. They need to reevaluate how they move this oil through the region. Is anyone talking about an alternative long term plan so that we're not dealing with this every few years if this happens again.
Speaker 13: Well, I think out of this is going to come a bigger focus on energy security, and the golf countries themselves are going to say what do we do to protect ourselves? What do we do in terms of investment within the golf and outside the golf. But I think that you know, this is the first you know, we're in the China ev or twenty percent of the cars built in the world this year will be evs, and.
Speaker 12: That's going to get a tick up from this.
Speaker 8: Certainly, in our last block we talked about the blockade, the utility of it, the degree it's weighing on negotiations that are unfolding, and I know that there's been some debate about what that the presence of that blockade, the Straight being effectively closed, is going to mean for oil prices going forward. We have the President of the United States saying, I'm going to paraphrase him here, he's got all the time in the world. If that blockade persists, if we see the kind of stalemate that we have been seeing for three months or six months or whatever, what is the effect that's going to have here?
Speaker 13: Well, you know, of course, sitting here it's hard to believe that it will last for another three months or six months. But a lot's happened that we already this was all war was going to be open in five days.
Speaker 12: I think there are two things.
Speaker 13: One is a question and the leverage point about how bad is the Iranian economy how much strain can it take.
Speaker 12: Without the resources? And that's the bet of the US blockade.
Speaker 13: I think the Iranian blockade, which it basically is that they can wage war in the world economy and the pressure will be so great that they'll come out in a better position. And in a sense, it's a clash between these two blockades that's unfolding.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 7: We haven't talked about, sorry on this point.
Speaker 8: We haven't talked about carg Island in many weeks now, but that was something that was kind of looming as something the US might do. Try to take carg Island or destroy Carg Island. Play out that scenario for US here too. If things really go south in Islamabad, if there isn't any advancement in these talks and President trumpes, he says he will pursues military action once again, targeting power plants and infrastructure and.
Speaker 7: Perhaps the refining buildings of Cargland. What is that?
Speaker 13: Winston Churchill said once that once the war starts, what happens, whatever your plan is, what happens is unforeseeable and uncontrollable, and we're sort of in that state right now. I think carg Island, as I understand, it's doable, but it's also very vulnerable from the shore because it's fairly close in and rainy and artillery and drones and so forth. I think one of the factors here that is new is that really the new form of warfare that was really beta tested in Ukraine is now being played out in the Gulf region, and that would affect decisions about carg Island.
Speaker 7: You're the cheap drones and.
Speaker 2: Rone and we're talking about It's been fascinating to see this pivot for vlenimber Zelensky's.
Speaker 5: Had a good run of luck with Orbon being ousted and.
Speaker 2: Hungary, and he's getting new allies in the Gulf as he's.
Speaker 5: In Saudi and visiting the region, and.
Speaker 12: Then paraphrase, he has some cards now he does.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I want to go back to something you were saying earlier, when you look at these two economies chalking about the eueronomy economy and how long they can last. But there's another issue here, and that's the US econom We were just talking against the abram about wars of attrition. When you look at who cannot last, if it's becomes a waiting game.
Speaker 5: You've got the very serious streights.
Speaker 2: The Iranian economy is in, but you've also got some not happy American consumers and a midterm coming up and a president a party who wants to get re elected.
Speaker 5: If this lingers into the fall, who blinks first?
Speaker 12: Well, we certainly know that there's one thing.
Speaker 13: We see it every two years, every four years, that gasoling prices really matter, and they really matter at the polls. And clearly that's in everybody's calculations right now. But you look at the position the US economy. We're going to grow what two percent or more this year that the and I think this is one of the things that the financial markets are so driven by what's happened with AI data centers that vast is it going to be eight hundred billion or trillion dollars of investment this year, that that's bolstering the overall economy. Obviously, gasoline prices remain it's the most sensitive political price in this country. But our economy overall is you know, is the envy of many other people, and a Ram's economy is actually in shambles.
Speaker 8: Let me put an unfair question to you as the last one. I know you're not an expert monetary policy, but we have a FED that's Adam and they can kind of see through this conflict, or they said that at the beginning of it. How difficult does that become if this conflict persist? What's the effecting to be?
Speaker 13: The question is where we're in an inflationary period beforehand for a lot of reasons, including the amount of expenditure and so forth, what's happened to supply chains once you build energy security, resilience in that ass costs and then simply all the inflationary impacts that come from these higher prices, and so you're going to in order to see through inflation through this period, you're going to need really good glasses.
Speaker 7: You're gonna need really good glasses. We will leave it there at Dan. You're going to have s and big level vice.
Speaker 5: Tim and I feel left out. You've a really good glass. It's a very.
Speaker 12: One does think about them.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much for our first show and now to have you again with that update. It is hugely, hugely beneficial. I think, as I say, this is going to be a critical issue with this FED meeting. I think that the decision is pretty much preordained, but I think there'll be a robust debate about how the FED looks at this conflict.
Speaker 7: The longer that it lasts.
Speaker 2: Right, we're not expecting them to take action, but this is going to be a big point of discussion.
Speaker 8: So we'll look to the minutes in a while to see sort of what the conversation was like there, and certainly when we have the succession, when there's a new FED chair, we'll see how he approaches the economy and the snowbox.
Speaker 4: Wa Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 6: Right after this, Trump says he wants.
Speaker 8: To clean up the Lincoln More Memorial reflect employs. Driving around the city yesterday, saw that it's empty.
Speaker 7: There's no water in it. They drained it, right, they've drained it.
Speaker 8: I drove by the FED building still under construction, and he wants to do this out of America's two and fifth birthday, which of course is this July.
Speaker 2: He says, that new floor color you're seeing on your screen there, it is quite blue.
Speaker 5: It is American flag blue.
Speaker 2: That's just one of the many architectural projects he's undertaking as president, and the biggest one may be yet to come. So this week we took a tour of the city with our colleague over at City Labs to look at how the president is trumpifying DC architecture and design. The nation's capital has a few nicknames, the District, the swamp, but it's also the city of monuments, memorializing the fall in, commemorating conflict, and preserving past presidents in stone. When you look at government architecture and people building monuments or associations or foundations or buildings that are literal foundations, what are they.
Speaker 14: Mostly for, Well, they stand for people, they stand for places, they stand for significant moments in history.
Speaker 2: Kristen Capps covers architecture for City Lab at Bloomberg. He took us to the site of a potential new addition to d c's landscape. There proposed Trump Triumphal arch.
Speaker 14: It's quite beautiful as you can see, and this monumental arc will beam at two hundred and fifty feet tall.
Speaker 2: The edifice would sit at this grassy patch in the middle of a traffic circle at the end of Memorial Bridge.
Speaker 12: This is where the arts will go.
Speaker 5: And it's going to be how high.
Speaker 14: Two hundred and fifty feet tall. As well is that the Lincoln Memorial is about one hundred feet tall, so it's going to be two and a half times then, So.
Speaker 2: They wanted to be taller than the Lincoln Memorial, much taller, much taller than almost any structure in Washington. The monument, colloquially called Arc to Trump, has already raised protests from Veterans group who say it will destroy the line of sight across the bridge.
Speaker 14: Memorial Circle is open for a reason. This is a site that stands between the Arlington House, which is Robert E. Lee's former home right and the Lincoln Memorial, which is of course the Memorial, the monument to Abraham Lincoln. So it's a symbolic bridge. It represents the reunion of the country after the Civil War. And you know, the detractors of the ARC say that it would just stand between that symbolic unity.
Speaker 5: You're supposed to be able to see from one down to the other.
Speaker 14: You're supposed to be able to see from one down to the other.
Speaker 7: Now the arch is going to be so big that the.
Speaker 14: Design rendering show that you could actually see Arlington House and the Lincoln Memorial from under it.
Speaker 5: Okay, but I don't know.
Speaker 14: That that necessarily means it's not an included block view.
Speaker 2: When asked, the President seemed unconcerned.
Speaker 7: That circle is set.
Speaker 10: They're vacant for one hundreds like one hundred and fifty years or same thing, and veterans are the ones that should like it.
Speaker 12: It's called a triumphal arm. It's in honor of the veterans.
Speaker 2: And this isn't the only place the current president is leaving his mark or his name from the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 5: When did this go out?
Speaker 14: Kristin, This was a real surprise when this went up. It just kind of happened overnight. There was no Act of Congress, there was no announcement. And it's above it's above Kennedy's name on the Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Memorial to the former US Institute of Peace.
Speaker 5: Did they stick on the letters?
Speaker 14: They did, Yes, this happened in December.
Speaker 12: It's now I think technical.
Speaker 14: The Board of Peace a slightly different organization from an.
Speaker 2: Aesthetic architecture perspective. Why do people put their names on things? And is that something you typically see in a democratic society.
Speaker 14: It's generally not the case that US presidents go and just put their names on buildings that they like or want to have some association with.
Speaker 2: Is there another president you can think of who has pushed through this many physical changes in Washington in recent memory.
Speaker 14: No, it's really interesting, you know, if you look back, the changes have been so sudden you have to really go back to the era of LBJA and great society.
Speaker 2: There's also the demolition of the historic White House East wing to make way for a ballroom, paving over the Rose Garden lawn into a patio, and gold embossed everything.
Speaker 14: There's a lot of gold lettering happening at the White House these days.
Speaker 5: Is that what style is that? Is that neoclassical? Is that early? Mar A Lago? Does it have a name?
Speaker 14: I think mar A Lago might be closer.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Well, the White House says the ballroom will be paid for by private funds. Funding for some of the other projects, including the arch, is still unclear. What's also unclear is how many of these alterations will be completed before the president leaves office or endure after he's gone. We're getting kicked out.
Speaker 14: They didn't put Trump on the security truck.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, do you want to get that.
Speaker 2: It's not on the truck.
Speaker 5: And props to our crew who managed to get this shot.
Speaker 2: While who you don't see is the security guard almost immediately to his left there talking to us.
Speaker 5: We got one shot at that.
Speaker 2: We got about thirty seconds up there before they immediately.
Speaker 5: Shoomp, and we're like, you gotta go.
Speaker 7: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 8: Right after this, welcome back at this no time for this weekend's pointed news. Quid Quiz on the road this weekend in the nation's capital with another guest competitor.
Speaker 7: Who do we have with us, Christina?
Speaker 5: It's Jeffy Jeff Jeff Mason. I want to win this game, but you have to tell me how it works.
Speaker 11: Oh well, we can't.
Speaker 4: That is quiz Master listaloo it all right, here's how it's going to work. Okay, So there are three categories, Jeff, Okay, these are stories from the week.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 4: So if you've been keeping up to date with them, you have we used to have thirty.
Speaker 6: Now we have twelve.
Speaker 4: Because you're here, twelve chips in front of you. And what you do is, as I say, each category, think about how confident you are, like, do you want to place all your bets on the first category or maybe do you want to spread them out evenly?
Speaker 5: You know everybody wants different.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 4: But if you get it wrong and you place your chips, I get those chips, so you lose them. Yes, if you get it right and you keep them okay, all right, you're.
Speaker 7: The bonus round as well.
Speaker 12: And there's a bonus round.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's the best part.
Speaker 5: Okay, here are your categories.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 4: First category is insurance, second second category is crypto, and third category is media. Okay, sore, where are we placing our best?
Speaker 5: I think this might be David's week.
Speaker 7: Finally, I think it is like you're a secret insurance speed I am not.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna split evenly and pray to the news guys.
Speaker 8: Okay, putting most of my chips that media, most on media, okay, half the other two, and you're putting none on the first. It's the customary for me to skip the first category.
Speaker 4: Interesting getting into it let's get to the question. Okay, here's the question for insurance. Live event organizers are using which bespoke form of insurance to protect against nature related losses? So what is that type of insurance called?
Speaker 7: Wait, this isn't multiple.
Speaker 4: Style if you do, if you play it online, they do give your multiple choice.
Speaker 5: So if you want to play this is the real world.
Speaker 7: It's not online, Jeff.
Speaker 4: So here in the studio, we give you no choices.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if this is a real word. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: So again, live event organizers using which form of insurance to protect against nature related losses?
Speaker 5: Do we have answers awards?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna put you down, everybody.
Speaker 6: She's crossing off.
Speaker 5: She's crossing off, she's trying another route. Oh, Christine is right, that's ready, ready, okay, flipp it. David I wrote force Mature. Force Mature wrote disaster coverage.
Speaker 4: It's called parametric.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you, did you know that?
Speaker 4: Actually, Bad Bunny use it in his concerts in case they get rained out.
Speaker 5: So that's metrics para hand over the.
Speaker 2: Mont better. We gotta pull it together, man, I agree. I have never lost to him. If I lose to him, it's gonna be all right.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a great disagreed.
Speaker 11: Okay, back to New York.
Speaker 4: But I think I might get you on crypto.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We'll see Crypto is the next category.
Speaker 5: And you put okay, you place the bed on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, crypto billionaire Justin's son is suing which crypto company, saying it is on the verse of collapse? What is the name crypto company?
Speaker 5: His name?
Speaker 4: Crypto billionaire Justin Son, he's suing this company.
Speaker 5: What is the name of that company?
Speaker 4: Okay, Jeff, you're not writing anything like the music.
Speaker 7: Chef likes the music. I can tell this is great, it's soothing.
Speaker 4: Yes, Okay, have we got our answers.
Speaker 6: Let's flip it.
Speaker 7: Okay, world liberty, financial.
Speaker 4: No ideas.
Speaker 12: Not the winner you have.
Speaker 2: This is his time.
Speaker 12: Is not my fault.
Speaker 5: You didn't know the answer the fault.
Speaker 6: Give me my fault.
Speaker 5: Got to be your fault. I am getting my.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And here we go.
Speaker 5: Next one media media. You can make up for it. Here we go satirical news.
Speaker 4: Satirical news brand the Onion trying to license the intellectual property of which website.
Speaker 5: I have to remember the name of it. It's come on. Can I come to there we go? I got it, I got it, It's come to Okay, I got it.
Speaker 6: What is the name of that website?
Speaker 4: Good Answers, Generations on it, flip it.
Speaker 7: Dot com, you could try, job.
Speaker 12: I love that.
Speaker 5: You are right.
Speaker 7: It is info Wars Info Wars and.
Speaker 2: The Chow the logo and it's like a rainbow out has the Onion in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: Because they in the lawsuit they want it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Suspend Collins used to be a colleague at MSNBC way back when, but he's now the CEO of the Onion and he has kind of engineered this entire purchase.
Speaker 7: It's a wild thing.
Speaker 5: Great, that's a great job.
Speaker 7: Yeah. What do they get out of that? That's interesting us talking about it.
Speaker 5: Are are you ready for a bonus?
Speaker 7: I certainly won the game the zero right now?
Speaker 5: Can I come back?
Speaker 6: And I can't come back to the bonus? I think it's all for your game.
Speaker 11: I won the game anyway.
Speaker 5: I'll give it you anyway. Okay, it's podcasters.
Speaker 7: Okay, yes, this is my day.
Speaker 6: Okay, pull it together.
Speaker 13: Here we go.
Speaker 4: The company Unwell is in turmoil with staff turnover, turnover and an influencer feud. So, which podcast host is the co CEO of that company? Unwell?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, unwell?
Speaker 5: Not doing not doing well?
Speaker 4: It's the you know your podcaster's day here on which podcast host is the co CEO of unwell?
Speaker 13: Time is not?
Speaker 6: Oh if you're not even trying.
Speaker 7: I used my idea. Alrighty Alex Cooper, Okay, Alex Cooper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I said call me daddy, Alex. I couldn't remember the last name yet. Yes, you gets credit for.
Speaker 7: Alex Call your Daddy, Suber Call your Daddy.
Speaker 4: Yes, the fourth most popular podcast in the US.
Speaker 11: She's leading with.
Speaker 8: Alex wrote a big piece about this, and it's been a hit on the Terminal website.
Speaker 7: Check it out.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is the cycle of these young leaders who make all this money and then it seems to happen across industry.
Speaker 8: Sorry I can't speak from experience anyways. The point of news quiz can be taken at Bloomberg dot com. Slash pointed, you can find that on the app as well.
Speaker 5: He's going to be in family all day. We're going to have to We're gonna have to do this with David Gera as the letter.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle, and culture.