Speaker 1: It's Meat Eater Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Yanni Randall, Brody, Hansei, Alyssa, Carinn and Nate. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat Eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing. And because this episode is brought to you by Heart and Soil, they're matching our donation at the end of the game. Thanks to Heart and Soil, the winner will make a one thousand dollars conservation donation today. For the stat of the week, this week, we're looking at the number nine. That's how many days you have to make an order from the Meat Eater Store to guaranteed delivery by Christmas. So if Santa is giving the gift of Meat Eater t Trivia this year, he needs to place his order with us by December thirteenth. We still have limited stock of the og Meat Eater Trivia board game. The Hunting and Fishing expansion packs and the mead Eater Trivia Collector's editions. They are available at store dot the medeater dot com and again, December thirteenth is the last day to order for guaranteed Christmas delivery.
Speaker 3: Are the expansion packs flying off the shelves? Spencer flying off the virtual shelves?
Speaker 2: I think the only real shelves you can buy them off of is our med Eater flagship store here in Bozeman. And so far we have perfect five star reviews. It was on the website, well done the og game. We have eighty reviews for four point nine seven stars. I think there were two people out of the eighty who have reviewed it who gave us four stars instead of five.
Speaker 4: What were the complaints?
Speaker 2: I don't even remember now, I'm sure I only take in the seventy eight five star reviews. Those two four steps?
Speaker 5: Gotcha?
Speaker 4: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Now here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the Medeater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Elena Brumwell wants to know have you ever considered a Canada themed expansion pack? I'm sure, there are a fair number of US Canadians who would be much better at answering questions about our own animals and agencies. Well, Elena, this is a common question. But no, there's not going to be a Canada themed expansion pack. We have the crossword puzzles on the medeater dot com. Of the twenty that I've made so far, one of them was Canadian themed. It was just for people from Canada who like hunting fish in there. It is our least played crossword on the website. So Canada listeners, if you want to make that kind of content more in demand than you need to go play that crossword puzzle to show me that you're out there, and then that's something you'll consume.
Speaker 5: Was that one hard Randall? Was it going to take you longer than the regular American versions?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I recall this puzzle.
Speaker 2: I go, I'll go look at what Randall's that was part of art.
Speaker 4: We did a mini crosswords, Oh yeah, regularly the mini crosswords.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Our regular crossword puzzle is twenty clues, which we do once a week. But then I did five days one week of many crosswords which were five clues each one of them was Canada. On that Canada one, Randall got a score of two sixty and he did that in twenty eight second.
Speaker 4: Now, I know we're not talking about the regular crossword, but I I do think it's worth pointing out. In the past two weeks of set new personal records, I finished this week's crossword in I believe a minute in twenty eight seconds.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's giving him a standard.
Speaker 5: That's without pre reading the questions. Oh yeah, how can you even read twenty questions in that amount of time?
Speaker 4: I mean they're not long, let alone, they're prompts. They're prompts, they're just a word or phrase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we told him he's going to we're going to need your drug test him with.
Speaker 4: These golden rainbow cutthroat brown trout.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, just like that, you do it forty times.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 7: Did you drink a whole pot of coffee beforehand? No, it was actually worried because I ate.
Speaker 4: I ate an obnoxious portion of Thanksgiving leftover immediately for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Phil saw that plate that was absurd.
Speaker 5: It was. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Randall's score on the Canada Crossword it was twenty eight seconds. On the Gear one it was twenty seconds. On the National Parks it was thirty five seconds, and on the Dogs it was thirty one seconds. Oh, so you did well. Canada was like your second strongest category. Now imagine if you're from Canada, how well you do on that?
Speaker 5: Are there any are there any players out there that rival randall scores at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see the tops Gors, It's it's anonymous. I don't see I don't think I see their their user name, and and some people beat Randall and people leave in the comments too.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Those people are often eager if they beat Randall's scores to let us know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that there was a three possible until uh an audience member shared that with us. So that gave me something to shoot for.
Speaker 2: So it's like, uh, like Jameis Winston says, you don't shoot for the stars because there's already people on the Moon's that's Randall Williams. All right, we have some housekeeping to get to. On a previous episode of Trivia, we had a controversial question about Guy Fieri being the favor town. This made Brody and Jannis furious, who argued that it had nothing to do with our four verticals but that's where they're wrong.
Speaker 7: I think everyone let's hear him about guys.
Speaker 2: Let's hear about Yeah, to hear Guy is a fanatic hunter. A twenty twenty three Facebook post shows him hunting ducks. A twenty sixteen Instagram post shows him hunting bears. A twenty fifteen Sportsman Channel episode of A V and X TV features him turkey hunting with Blake Shelton, and in a twenty twenty two interview, he said he's hunted deer, elk, antelope, pigs, and big horn sheep. In that same article, he claimed elk hunting and wyoming was one of the greatest experiences of his life, in that a wild game Jumbalaya he made with Duck, Venison and Gator was one of his finest meals. Guy loves hunting so much that he had a custom chef's coat printed in couu camo, and he even named his firstborn son Hunter. So body and Giannis I maintain that it was a good question, and I'm even going to encourage.
Speaker 7: I'm even going.
Speaker 5: To eNCA he has just ignored me.
Speaker 2: Well, what what's your problem, Brody?
Speaker 8: I think it's awesome that he is hunter It's got nothing to do with how that question was poorly worded.
Speaker 2: I think I think that was a matter of when when when Steve had time to play trivia, he often had an attitude of if he got it right, it was too easy. If he got it wrong, it was too hard. And I think our players in the room were experiencing that they didn't know that he was the mayor of Flavor Town, so it was too hard for question.
Speaker 8: Like a duly elected official of what like a municipality.
Speaker 5: And how he.
Speaker 2: Worded it, it was very clever by me.
Speaker 5: Made up questions about made up places and made up things for we have.
Speaker 2: Questions about movies and songs. Those are all fiction.
Speaker 8: Good on him for being a hunter, but he ain't the mayor of any.
Speaker 5: Favor Krin.
Speaker 2: I think now that we know he's such a fanatical hunter and and it'd be a great the mayor of Flavor Town should be on the media podcast sometime. And if you're watching on YouTube, you can see a picture of him duck hunting there with his eyes close, with his eyes closed. He was duck hunting in California. Grin, can can we extend an invite to Guy Fieri's camp off the check with Steve.
Speaker 4: If I had had a few more days between that episode and this episode, I shared this with Phil as an excuse to cut my hair. I was gonna diet blonde and wear wear a flame shirt just because I knew this would come up again, and so I just wanted to show up in the podcast to address and pierce.
Speaker 2: Your ears just for the bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next Halloween, we'll.
Speaker 3: Get you a flavor town apron h printed in first light Camo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do it now.
Speaker 2: The Shelby Index for today is a three point five, so our winner should get seven correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stay under wand everything.
Speaker 4: Just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Game On Suckers, Question one, the topic is conservation, and this first great question is via Bradley Burtkey. What state has the most national forests? Is it Colorado, California, Washington or Utah the most? The most in America?
Speaker 5: Or like? Number of them not number of acres, right.
Speaker 2: Number of them, not number of acres, just the most national forests? What state has the most national forests? Colorado, California, Washington, Utah.
Speaker 5: That's a tough one, spencer.
Speaker 2: That's why the Shelby and X is a seven. Today. What state has the most national forest? Your four choices? Colorad, Sato, California, Washington, Utah. Think everybody but Hansei and Brody has an answer. Brody, how many do you have it? Narrow down to two? Okay, I've got too.
Speaker 8: I'm thinking about.
Speaker 2: What state has the most national forests? Colorado, California, Washington, Utah, Hanse, are you ready go ahead and reveal your answers? We have Hansey saying Utah, Giannis says Washington, Corinne Washington, Randall California, Alyssa California. Nate put Washington crossed out California. Brody put Washington crossed out Colorado. The correct answer, it's California.
Speaker 7: Every time.
Speaker 2: Rand got that one. Every time questions and Randall, that's right. California has twenty national forests, the most in the nation. That's followed by Colorado and Oregon with twelve, Idaho with eleven, Montana with ten, Wyoming with eight, and New Mexico and Washington with seven. Question two the topic is hunting.
Speaker 5: This man is.
Speaker 2: The host of the Hunting shows, Fresh Tracks and On Your Own Adventures is question two. The topic is hunting. Yanni, Nate, Randall, and Brody are all confident in their answer. Alyssa and Corrin and Hansei have not picked up their whiteboard. This man is the host of the hunting shows, Fresh Tracks and On Your Own Adventures.
Speaker 9: Of my first jobs out of college was doing audio for Fresh Tracks.
Speaker 2: There's a little hint.
Speaker 7: Now, I know it's not like.
Speaker 2: What's carin? Like an old Oh, okay, that.
Speaker 5: Doesn't really help me.
Speaker 9: I've ever watched meat eaters?
Speaker 2: Okay, Hansei? Does that help you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe, but I still can't think of his name.
Speaker 2: He's got a grin on his face on the podcast. We're not going to lob.
Speaker 7: Apologize.
Speaker 5: If it makes sense, Phil.
Speaker 2: Would have gotten this one right. Maybe a rare question in the hunting question that he would get this thing. Is the host of the hunting shows, Fresh Tracks and On Your Own Adventures. Hansei is writing down a description and Yanni, looking at his whiteboard, says that he has it has everything but his name.
Speaker 6: I guess I'm not going.
Speaker 2: To tell you anything else I recorded.
Speaker 7: I thought we got to ask you questions about this.
Speaker 2: If I recall, is everybody ready.
Speaker 5: The game has changed now that it's all just made up random things.
Speaker 2: Fact, Yeah, made up like states with the most national forests and a real person who hosts a real show. It's everybody ready, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansy saying the dude whose office was over stadium, which is correct. Giannis says, Randy Newbird.
Speaker 5: We once named a grouse in Alaska Randy Newbird, and Randy kind of took offense to it. Krien says, are we going to count that?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Do you know his real antwer his real name? Come on, he knows, Karen says Michael Wadell. Randall says Randy Newburgh, Alyssa, Randy Newburgh, Nate Randy Newburg, Brody Randy.
Speaker 3: Newt called Randy, but I'm glad I didn't.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Randy Newburgh. I think we'll give it to Giannis, who put Randy new Bird instead of Newburgh.
Speaker 5: But do I get it on the show?
Speaker 2: So Hans he put the guy who has an office near Bobcat Stadium docs, which we're not going to give it to him. But that's a nice level.
Speaker 5: I recording a podcast, his first ever podcast at that office.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think, Hans, you should get it man, Like I don't know where the guy's office.
Speaker 2: Randy's website describes him as being a leading advocate for self guided hunters. Randy killed his first elk in the nineteen nineties after six unsuccessful seasons in Montana. He says that first dead bull was thanks to spending a summer reading Jack Ward Thomas's book called Elk of North America, which is six thousand pages.
Speaker 7: Three.
Speaker 2: The topic is gear. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Justin Flowers for sending this great question. Justin is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. The three main ingredients of this are potassium, nitrate, charcoal, and sulfur. Again, this is question three. The topic is gear. The three main ingredients of this are potassium, nitrate, charcoal, and sulfur.
Speaker 3: Gear.
Speaker 2: Topic is gear. That's right, about half of our room has already come up with their answer. The three main ingredients of this are potassium, nitrate, Charcoal and sulfur. What's the longest book Brody and Randall that you guys have put together for Meat Eater? Do you know what the This is.
Speaker 8: Probably the Wilderness Survival Guy. That was a big one.
Speaker 2: Did that touch a thousand pages?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine reading an Elk of North America book that's six thousand pages?
Speaker 7: How many maps are in it?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: No, thousand thousand maps.
Speaker 7: It's still a long ass book.
Speaker 5: The small pages I helped put together. No, man, it's fine printing that book too. It's dense.
Speaker 4: I gotta get my hands in that.
Speaker 7: Bad boy I've read.
Speaker 5: Uh, but we put together Meet Eater's Guide to Butchering and Cookie ended up well. We had to split it into two parts because it was seven hundred pages.
Speaker 2: Six thousand pages though.
Speaker 8: Who's Valve, the deer guy, the old guy?
Speaker 10: Valve?
Speaker 7: I read his dearer book.
Speaker 8: That's a long one. It's a real but it's not six six thousand pages.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, you have question.
Speaker 4: It's not a multi work, no pages bound as one.
Speaker 5: It does seem like it's too much because I don't know. It just seems like it's a is a textbook, is what it is?
Speaker 2: That was a quote from Randy saying that he killed his first ball. Thanks for reading Elk of North America, which is six thousand pages long, so I might I might have to.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna get on WorldCat.
Speaker 2: We're on question three. The topic is geared the three main ingredients of our potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulfur. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansy saying black powder, Yiannis gunpowder, Corine handwarmers, rand At gunpowder, Alyssa firestarter, Nate black powder, Brodie gunpowder. The correct answer is gunpowder. You said black powder, will give that to you as well. The ingredients of gunpowder have remained unchanged for about one thousand years, but the ratio has taken some perfecting. The modern formula, which is about ten percent sulfur, fifteen percent charcoal and seventy five percent potassium nitrate, has been used since the thirteenth century. Question for the topic is cooking Our golly defines this term as quote when meat rots from the bone outward, Who or what is our golly? You don't know what our golly is? Our golly?
Speaker 5: Game bags? Oh? That that company?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we had one of their employees sitting here about two weeks ago. Oh, the owner brooks old, that is what our golly is.
Speaker 5: It doesn't look like yeah, just another kind of a you know, I want to say.
Speaker 2: I think this is a great question. Our golly defines this term as quote, when meat rots from the bone outward. Is anybody confident in their answer?
Speaker 9: No, Brody's putting marker aboard.
Speaker 2: I have an answer, has confident, But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not confident it's correct, but I'm confident that it could be possible.
Speaker 2: Our GOLLI defines this term as when meat rots from the bone outward. M mm hmm. This isn't just in our golly term either, you know, it's not like.
Speaker 3: No, I've heard it before.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. So do you have the right answer?
Speaker 7: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Okay, you gotta get that animal skin and cool down.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go try to find the page count for Elk of North.
Speaker 4: America, and that is h Bezos will tell you.
Speaker 2: By Jack Ward Thomas, is there any chance at six thousand pages?
Speaker 4: That seems like six thousand it seems insane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna go closer to one.
Speaker 7: How about six hundred six hundred pages.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred twenty pages according to Amazon. So the six thou that was that was a quote that was from Randy. He was being interviewed by Outside Bosman magazine and he said, that's how I killed my first Elk. I read the six thousand page book Elk of North America. There, Randy was U.
Speaker 5: He read it nine times.
Speaker 7: And so I wonder if counting too.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm gonna score my animals from now on. It's just take a time six and a half multiplier. Again, we're on question four. The topic is cooking. Our Golly defines this term as when meat rots from the bone outward. Do you have an answer?
Speaker 5: Randall? I do.
Speaker 2: Do you like your answer?
Speaker 4: I think so?
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel pretty good about it, Randall Brodie HANSI I'll feel okay.
Speaker 6: How about you, Nate, No, just complete shot in the dark. But I have one that's like tingling.
Speaker 2: Okay, back in my mind it's tingling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I might get that checked out.
Speaker 6: When I don't know an answer, but I think I might. I sniffed the sharpie. It's but it's a method.
Speaker 4: Is everybody ready opens up some neural pathways?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's flip them over. No, no, I need seconds.
Speaker 2: We can do ten seconds for you.
Speaker 4: Ten seconds by the six thousand page metric.
Speaker 7: And we're done for a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Be honest. Maybe he meant word no, six thousand words to be nothing. That'd be like fifteen pages. Sorry, Randy, we just called you out for that twenty twenty two interview. Be honest.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're on about thirty seconds now.
Speaker 2: He's writing. As soon as he's done writing.
Speaker 4: The tap is a new one. I like it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have HANSI saying gangreen ganness, grant gangreness. Yannis says composting, Koren says internal rot, Randall says bone souring, Melissa rancid, Nate desiccation, Brody bone souring. The correct answer is bone sour. We had Brody and Randall get that one right, And Yanni, this is a term that's been used by many folks. Peterson's hunting. A lot of hunting and fishing forums are golly, who makes the game bags? We all like, so have you heard of bone sour before?
Speaker 5: Never have?
Speaker 4: Get on rock slide.
Speaker 2: Bone sour occurs when meat isn't properly cooled and bacteria spreads from the bone outward. This is the most This is most common when big games such as elk or moose are killed in hot weather. Besides obviously getting the meat in a cooler some ways to prevent bone sour or by promoting airflow and deboning the meat.
Speaker 4: And could it be gangrenes.
Speaker 2: No, that's different gangreen. I don't think is uh is not related to bone.
Speaker 7: Gang is an infection?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so no Hansi, We're not going to give you a point for that one.
Speaker 5: Does that Does that rot emanate from within the bone marrow or.
Speaker 3: Is it there's a lot of heat. The center of the hind.
Speaker 2: Quarter is where the most heat is. Yeah, around the ball joints, there's bacteria that will spread if it stays too warm. They say, I think you need to get it below like eighty degrees in the first hour or below forty five degrees in the first twenty four hours to avoid bone sour. But yeah, it's rotting from the inside out.
Speaker 5: But how we also discussed about how leaving the bone in will help the cool air transfer to that zone as that temperature like, it's like it's a better The bone is a better conduct than the knat itself is.
Speaker 2: But if you're if you're battling against like eighty degree weather, it's probably just best to us to not have the bone in there. So what's the technical term for bone souring? Because I guarantee that's not the scientific term. Listen, I I assigned this definition to our golly, and it's, like I said, also agreed upon by Petersontoni and others. Question five, the topic is fishing. Berkeley says, these kinds of soft plastic lures quote mimic different types of aquatic life, such as crayfish, tadpoles, lizards, and bugs. We got no question to look at, You got to look behind there.
Speaker 9: Having technical difficulties in here.
Speaker 2: Berkeley says, these kinds of soft plastic lures mimic different types of aquatic life, such as crayfish, tadpoles, lizards, and bugs.
Speaker 5: These tights and.
Speaker 2: The room is stumped. Pill just head butted the TV and it came back on. This is question five. The topic is fishing.
Speaker 9: Going to mess up the clock here for a secon, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Berkeley says, these kinds of soft plastic lures mimic different types of aquatic life such as crayfish, tadpoles, lizards, and bugs. Brody, how do you feel about your answer? I feel good about it, okay, Brody, the only confident player of in the room. Brody, have you ever experienced bone sour or been around someone who has?
Speaker 8: I've seen meat that's gotten a little green tinge to it.
Speaker 2: Before the first elk I killed, I.
Speaker 8: Didn't get the hide off of the hind quarters real quick, and I think got a little bit, but like it wasn't ruined. But didn't Steve get someone that Washington.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we lost some meat for sure, But again, I don't think it's the I don't think the bone has much to do with it.
Speaker 3: I think that's just where it happens in the middle.
Speaker 5: It's like it's gonna be the place that cools down. Yeah, I gotta think about plastic.
Speaker 2: Lures, says. These kinds of soft plastic lures mimic different types of aquatic life, such as crayfish, tadpoles, lizards, and bugs. Brody the only player to come up with an answer.
Speaker 7: Let's turn them over right now.
Speaker 2: M M mimic different types of aquatic life such as crayfish, tadpoles, lizards and bugs. Randall now coming up with an answer.
Speaker 4: No, no, just writing a word down there. It's not the answer.
Speaker 2: Johanni, do you have an answer?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: I do. I think there's a chance that's correct.
Speaker 2: There's a chance it's everybody ready, who's gonna come up with an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi without an answer. Oh, we have Yanni saying worm. Karen without an answer. Randall says double twister tails. Alyssa says worms. Nate says wordly boys. Brody says creature baits. Brody got it. The correct answer is creature baits. Creature baits are popular among bass anglers fishing heavy cover and spawning beds. These lures are known for their unique profile that is unusually bulky with extra appendages. Some creature baits don't mimic anything at all, such as the popular zoom brush hog, which has multiple arms, legs, and tails. Film now has a photo of.
Speaker 7: One double tail double.
Speaker 2: It's got double everything, and that zoom brush hog is probably the most popular creature bait on the market. It doesn't look like anything at all.
Speaker 4: It resembles in some respects the answer that I put down, which was what the double twister tail double twister tails, but you forgot the double legs, double arms.
Speaker 2: Well that's there is a classic creature bait, Brody. Have you ever used a creature bait?
Speaker 9: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't do a lot of like bucket mouth bass fishing.
Speaker 2: But good on you for knowing about them.
Speaker 5: Phil.
Speaker 2: We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard.
Speaker 9: Update, Karen, I'm so sorry you don't have any points. Hansei, You've got one, Alyssa, Nate, and Jannis. I'll have two points apiece. And with that creature bait questioned, Brody pulled in to tie up with doctor Randall. They have four points of anybody's game plan.
Speaker 2: Question question six.
Speaker 4: I think I.
Speaker 5: Would think that you'd be pulling in more of this information after all these years working here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess I'm just.
Speaker 8: Krinn makes some homemade gunpowder handwarmers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hand a hand.
Speaker 2: Question six. The topic is biology. This next great question is via Jonathan Dobbs. Merriam Webster defines this five letter word as quote a major ecological community type such as tropical rainforest, grassland, or desert. This is question six. The topic is biology. Merriam Webster defines this five letter word as a major ecological community type such as tropical rainforest, grassland, or desert. Brody Randall, Hansei Alyssa, Nate All confident Yanni, who was just ribbing Krinn about not getting enough correct answers as a blank whiteboard. I, you.
Speaker 3: Honest might have used up a lot of his brain power white tail celest.
Speaker 5: So that could be.
Speaker 2: It's a costly Endevoran, you got to dedicate a lot of that brain killing those things. They're the smartest big game animal.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's a trivia fact. Again, We're on question six. The topic is biology. Merriam Webster defines this five letter word as a major ecological community type such as tropical rainforest, grassland, or desert.
Speaker 4: On the subject of Karin's wrong answer from previous question, I have a handwarmer injury.
Speaker 2: Currently a handwarmer injury. Got too hot. No, you're not supposed to apply those things directly to skew toes were.
Speaker 4: Cold, and so I took a regular handwarmer and threw it in my boot in there bunched up around my big toe. I'm about to lose that nail. Okay, my whole toe's purple.
Speaker 2: It was one of Karn's handwarmers, though, is that what will?
Speaker 4: I've just been having flashbacks after seeing her deserve hand tow warmers. I can't help the.
Speaker 3: Cow would tell you got what you deserve just for you.
Speaker 7: I know, I actually thought about that.
Speaker 5: Course.
Speaker 4: I was on the side of the mountain this weekend.
Speaker 7: I was thinking about.
Speaker 3: Col his hatred for hand warm Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, I tell you what. In old Wisconsin, man, I picked up a lot of them, the new trash.
Speaker 2: I love that that gas station sell them though. That's ah, that's how you know you're in a good place. The gas station sells handwarmers. You get a five letter word as a major ecological community type such as tropical rainforest, grassland, or desert. Yanni, Karin, do you two give up? I wrote something. I think it's okay. Yanni is trying to look at Krin. Do you give up? Yanni?
Speaker 5: I can see it. No, I'm not gonnaw.
Speaker 2: He's gonna come up with his own wrong answer.
Speaker 5: He says, Oh, no, you guys, I'm not gonna hold it.
Speaker 7: It's either a principal head or answers.
Speaker 2: We have Hans saying biome Yanni without an answer. Karen says tiger, Randall says biome, Alyssa says ocean. Nate and Brody say biome. They got it. The correct answer is biome b I O m P. According to net geo, the five major types of biomes are you guys want to take a guess.
Speaker 7: Tundra, desert, tropical.
Speaker 2: Desert, grassland, so you're missing two of them, not one. That means you're only missing one more. Biome aquatic, which I think we would say is marine. So the five major types of biomes according to net geo are aquatic, grassland, forest, desert, and tundra. Each major biome can be broken down into more specific biomes, such as grasslands being categorized as savannahs or temperate grasslands. Question seven, the topic is hunting. The National Wild Turkey Federation defines this call as quote an alarm that usually means the bird has seen or heard something. NWTF defines this call as an alarm that usually means the bird has seen or heard something.
Speaker 9: HANSI, I'm sorry, mister, answer did you get that last time?
Speaker 2: He got that one right?
Speaker 3: You should be the call that the first thing that comes in your mind is damn it.
Speaker 2: That's right. This call has ruined whitetail haunts for me as well. I've had turkeys making this vocalization in the white tails who were like in the same wheat field became aware then as well. They recognized that that meant something important.
Speaker 5: HM.
Speaker 2: So the whole animal kingdom. Well, listen up when turkey is doing this call, which is an alarm that usually means the bird has seen or heard something.
Speaker 4: An animal kingdom. Come on, it's not a real Animals don't have.
Speaker 2: Governments, not a municipality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not a polity.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? No, Nate needs a second.
Speaker 5: I had Gobbler come to me making this call, let's pass spring in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: We were his What was he doing? What were his intentions?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You don't think your ears were not I think he was doing this call. Did you kill that Gobbler?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Wow? So he maybe knew you were there.
Speaker 7: He didn't have a chance in his final him.
Speaker 5: He was from a long ways away, wait, long before I could see him. I don't know. It was just a weird kill, the dumb one. Weird turkey behaviors.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansy saying signal, Giannis says put, Karen says shock, Randall says yelp Alyssa says shot gobble, Nate says who do you who? Brody as putt? The correct answer is putt or danger put The putt can be a single or several sharp notes. Since this call indicates danger, it's rarely used by turkey hunters, but the NWTF says it's a good call to employ. If there's a tom that you want to that you want to stop or to raise its head. Phil is now going to play you ten seconds of a putting hen that was a pot bro here said. That can often indicate that your haunt is over. With ye. Question eight, the topic is conservation. A twenty twelve Bloomberg BusinessWeek article describes this waterway as ground zero for Asian carp in America. A twenty twelve Bloomberg BusinessWeek article describes this waterway and this is a quote, as ground zero for Asian carp in America.
Speaker 3: That's a long time ago.
Speaker 2: That's right, But who do you don't think it's changed? You have this one, right, Randall, I think so did you consider Putt on that last question instead of yelp?
Speaker 4: Nope, I'm not sure that I had termed putt in my vocabulary. Not a turkey man. Yeah, I'm intrigued by the who doy who. There's a rap song that incorporates that. Oh, yes, I think it's a master P track.
Speaker 6: Lay it down?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Am I right?
Speaker 4: Phil, I'm looking.
Speaker 5: For It's not it's outcast.
Speaker 9: No, you're thinking of that, I'm unaware.
Speaker 2: Oh good, poll Nate, Yeah, No, that's it.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking of he goes someone where he's tight like halways smoked out always.
Speaker 7: Everybody's been saying it so flat. You gotta be like who whatever, like.
Speaker 10: A personal authorities coming that you need to like, like if there's just you that's like the universal mmmm call watch.
Speaker 9: Yes it is a it's a song by t r u uh and master P was a part of that.
Speaker 2: Wow. The only I I don't know a single song by master P, only know that he had like a really cruddy reality show.
Speaker 5: Well v H one.
Speaker 7: Here's a basketball player too.
Speaker 4: He got a contract with the the Hornets.
Speaker 5: I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, make him say huh oh.
Speaker 2: I do know that. Yeah, I feel like Arenas really liked that song mid two thousands.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of that. That's the No Limit crew, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Talking about?
Speaker 2: And I'm going to remind you that we're on question eight. The topic is conservation. In twenty twelve, Bloomberg BusinessWeek article describes this waterway as ground zero for Asian carp in America. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 6: Is there like a little like sneaky thing in this question? No?
Speaker 2: No, Randall says no, No, okay. Brody says no, it's everybody ready. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi and Yanni and Corinne saying Mississippi River. Randall says Illinois River, alyssa Pacific Ocean. Nate says Hudson. He was hoping ground zero was a hint for the locality. Brody says, Mississippi. The correct answer is the Illinois River. Randall got that one right. Son of Asian carp were first captured in the Illinois River in nineteen ninety eight. They got there after escaping nearby Awkwa culture facilities. According to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, there are more Asian carp per acre in the Illinois River than any other place on Earth. The fish thrives in the waterway due to an abundance of food from farm run off and because of a lack of natural predators. Who Question nine we'll get to in a second, because first Phil is going to give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there it is.
Speaker 9: No, you didn't, sorry, Chrin, just give her one, Okay, Grin, I'll give her three. Oh yeah, it's just down to Randall and Brody. They've been they've been playing, playing back and forth this whole game. They've got six points.
Speaker 2: Question nine, The topic is cooking. This type of bean shares its name with a horse breed and car model.
Speaker 5: Oh, the song is actually called who do you who? Buy out guests?
Speaker 2: What a by Yanni to know that. Randal and Brody appear confident in their answer for question nine. The topic is cooking. This type of bean shares its name with a horse breed and car model.
Speaker 6: Bonus points for the make.
Speaker 2: No, but Nate is so confident that he could tell us what the car model is. M Randall, you wrote down an answer fast. You put your whiteboard down. You have since picked it back up and taken the cap off your marker or your second guessing your answer? He is. He is erasing it with his hand, doesn't even need the racer sitting next to him. You have this one right now, Randall. I think this type of bean shares its name with a horse breed and car model. Which one of those clues give it away? Is it the bean, the horse breed or the car model.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think a type of bean without the car model. I mean I think you need at least two of them.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, now, Joanny, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I also two answers written down. Okay, my second one is what I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 2: Brody knew this one immediately, this one to come up with an answer. This type of bean shares its name with a horse breed and the car model. Phil, would you get this one right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Phil would get this one right? That makes you feel any better, Yanni.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna show Brody now.
Speaker 2: He's now eliminated one of his answers.
Speaker 7: On the right track.
Speaker 2: Brody shook his head.
Speaker 6: I'm playing for third here.
Speaker 2: Brody shook his head.
Speaker 4: Now, what did you have, Civicate?
Speaker 2: Did you see his answer? Do you have a different answer? Okay, Nathan Brodie say, Yanni is on the right track.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that, Hansi. Or do you give up?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm just writing names of beans now to try to like somewhere.
Speaker 2: We're going to give you about ten more seconds.
Speaker 9: Horses pick He's like Forrest Gump except beans.
Speaker 2: Hansi has quite an extensive list of beans. Maybe just circle that what you think the correct one is so I can see all your all of your other options.
Speaker 7: Oh well, I mean I got more.
Speaker 2: Okay, just pick one. Which one are you going with here?
Speaker 4: How about h.
Speaker 2: He has eight beans written?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: How about how about the.
Speaker 7: Eventually?
Speaker 2: Hanji says lima bean. Yanni says palomino, karenn says broad, Randall says pinto. Alissa and Nate and Brody say pinto. They got it. The correct answers is pinto. Ponzi did not have that as one of his eight.
Speaker 11: Being Yeah, but I did have a Pinto is a Spanish word that means painted or spotted.
Speaker 2: The pinto bean is named for its modeled skin. The pinto horse is named for its flashy coat of white patches, and the ford Pinto is named after the horse, a theme that also berthed the Ford Mustang, Bronco and Maverick. The Ford Pinto was one of the auto industry's greatest failures due to its gas tank design that caused the car to explode from rear end collisions. You boys would have been alive during the Ford Pinto era. Neighbors cross the street had Really they did they get rid of it?
Speaker 5: I mean I was.
Speaker 2: Little, okay, I think it was like nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 5: Dad mentioning it. Yeah, I remember a few of them on the roads when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: And then they changed the design so it wouldn't explode from rear incllisions, and they renamed it to the Bobcat. So they had the four Pinto that became the Ford bo. Yeah, here's a correct answer review so far. Number one was California two, Randy Newberg three Gunpowder, four Bone Sour five, Creature Baits six, Biome seven, Putt eight, Illinois River nine Pinto. Before we do question ten, give us a final leader board update.
Speaker 9: Phil, Oh, Yeah, sorry, where is it? WHOA there?
Speaker 5: We are?
Speaker 9: Rand Lombrodi got the Pinto. They're still tied up. They've got seven points.
Speaker 2: Now after that we have Nate with four, Alissa and Yanni with three, Hansi with two. Corin won't say her score. Question ten, the topic is ecology. In this last great.
Speaker 9: There's the reason I skipped over everyone else.
Speaker 2: Playing for third place, so we want to be able to secure that third place victory if it indeed happens.
Speaker 5: All right, think hard. You can still get one.
Speaker 2: Question ten, the topic is ecology, and this last great question it's via Henry Zeken. Name the three Canadian provinces that are part of the Great Planes according to Encyclopedia Britannica. Again we have Brody and randall tied up. They both get this right or wrong. We will go to overtime. Question ten, the topic is ecology. Name the three Canadian provinces that are part of the Great Plains, and this is according to Encyclopedia Britannic.
Speaker 4: It'll shout out to our friends of North there.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: The I f a Q from Elaine. Sure for an entire expansion packed Sorry Elena. The best I can do is question ten in Media Trivia and and a mini crossword from a month ago. But go play that mini crossword. You can play it at the mediater dot com backslash games. See if you can beat this Yankee Randall with his score of I think it was twenty eight seconds.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then if you give that some love, we'll have more Canadian content in the future.
Speaker 4: Do we get other folks around the globe asking for.
Speaker 2: New Zealand and Australia. It would be as far as international listeners Canada, they're asking are they New Zealand and Australia. They also request for content specific to them. I've even had some kiwis offered a write entire episodes for New zeal That would be fun outdoor trivia.
Speaker 3: Those boys need to start their own podcast over there.
Speaker 4: I guess let's do a bonus episode.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: We can go down to outback steakhouse, sit around a.
Speaker 2: Blooming You have one in b Yes, it was barred by the old at nineteenth getting wrong question ten names three.
Speaker 8: They have two for one drink special. Back in the day when we were guiding in Colorado.
Speaker 2: You know what'd you get there? Margarita and I might have already I might have already told this story.
Speaker 4: But the day that I passed my UH exams in grad school, they had two for one beers like tall corps lights, and I got two and they brought them out at the same time, and then they asked I drank one, and they asked me if I wanted another, and they brought two more outs. So I've pictured myself with three of the tall tall draft beers.
Speaker 2: Which is the day you became a doc?
Speaker 7: Unseemly, no, no, this was on my way to becoming a doctor.
Speaker 2: Sorry, okay.
Speaker 4: And you see was playing basketball on the TV, and it was a day for me because I was at Apex Steakhouse watching the Bearcats.
Speaker 2: Helped to become a doctor again. Question ten named the three Canadian provinces that are part of the Great Plains. Does everybody have answers? As a reminder, we are down to Brody and Randall, who were tied up. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansei saying Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba. Yanni says Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia. Corrin says Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario. Randall says Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alyssa, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Alberta. Nate Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Brody Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. The three provinces are Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta, meaning Brody and Randall both got that one right and are going to overtime with eight correct answers. Those three provinces are known as the Prairie Provinces. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Great Plains include parts of ten states, three provinces, and one territory. They define the region's boundaries as south to the Rio Grande, north to the Mackenzie River, east to the interior Lowland, and west to the Rocky Mountains. We're going to overtime. Play the drop, Phil Tye. How they just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 4: It's funny. I never liked it a Phil cough Man.
Speaker 2: The tie breaking topic is cooking. How many teaspoons are in one point two five cups? How many teaspoons are in one point two five cups? This is a numerical question. Whoever is closest between Randall and Brody will be declared the winner. Everyone is going to play along, though, because if one of our other five players were to get this right on the nose, meat Eater is going to add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. And as a reminder, we have a one thousand dollars donation today thanks to Heart and Soil, matching our five hundred dollars donation, so this could be an eleven hundred dollars donation if one of our seven players nails the correct answer how many teaspoons are in one point twenty five cops? Brody Randall, are you boys doing some conversions or are you just coming up with a good guess?
Speaker 7: I'm guessing at the conversions.
Speaker 2: And then, Brody, do you have any confidence in your conversions?
Speaker 3: You know, me and my son were just discussing how many Oh, we're discussing one of these conversions the other day and now I can't remember.
Speaker 2: What it was.
Speaker 5: One of them is tricky in this whole deal because they're not all or not all even numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cups to gallons, I'm good, blow cups on shaky ground.
Speaker 6: I just did a bunch of this for the chili cookoff.
Speaker 5: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: How many teaspoons.
Speaker 6: I put my heart and soul into that thing.
Speaker 2: What were you converting from teaspoons to cups?
Speaker 10: Oh? What was it? It's all blur. I can't remember. We don't have any cup in our rental thing, so there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: That measuring broth by the teaspoon. Oh just leave it, Randall. How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: I uh, I started with made up conversions, then extrapolated from that, and then it felt a little.
Speaker 2: Low, so I added to that. Okay, so pretty weak, Brodie. Do you think your son would have a shot at getting this right? He would? Is this something they were learning in school? We're just learning at home.
Speaker 3: At home he likes to like make muffins and shit, so.
Speaker 8: But he would remember it.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? You got a one thousand dollars donation. He's on the line today.
Speaker 4: I had that.
Speaker 2: Hansie is making a few changes I had.
Speaker 7: I'm going back to what I g spoons are just so small. I just keep adding to my number.
Speaker 2: Randall's answer is growing. It's everybody ready. Lissa is gonna make one last change.
Speaker 6: It got real big.
Speaker 5: This is for conservational Lissa, go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 2: We have Hansi saying and even one hundred. Yannis says fifty, Corinne says forty. Randall says forty two. Alyssa agrees with Yanni and says fifty. Nate says eighty two. Brody says sixty.
Speaker 4: My next to last answer was sixty.
Speaker 2: One of you has it right on the nose, just one. I'm not saying what somebody there's a right answer in here, meaning this is going to be an eleven hundred dollars donation. Geez, the correct answer is sixty. Making twitter, we were so close to the double on the nose. There are forty eight tea spoons in one cup. You could arrive at that answer by knowing there are three tea spoons in one tablespoon and sixteen tablespoons in one cup. Brody got it right on the nose, meaning we have a one one hundred dollars donation today, five hundred dollars from Heart and Soil, five hundred dollars from meat Eater for the regular game, and one hundred extra dollars from meat Eater for Brody getting the tie breaking answer right on the nose. So, Brody, what are we going to do with the eleven hundred dollars donation.
Speaker 3: Let's throw five hundred to the National Wild Turkey Federation and six hundred to the Land Access Initiative.
Speaker 2: Five hundred to NWTF, six hundred to the Land Access Initiative, and WTF provided us with the danger putt question earlier, which you got right and Randall got wrong, and that gave you the victory.
Speaker 7: I remember.
Speaker 8: Randall's you don't hunt turkeys a whole lot to you, but you'll remember that now.
Speaker 3: Turkey putting that.
Speaker 4: I remember the tea spoons as well.
Speaker 2: Five going to NWTF, six hundred dollars to the Meat Eater Land Access Initiative. Thanks to Heart and Soil for making it a one thousand, one hundred dollars donation today. We appreciate their support of the podcast and conservation. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host using those smooth mellow tone. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks. And he's an avid amateur rock house