Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Two days till Christmas. Hopefully you're having some good time with friends and family this week. You deserve it. I always think it's nice of the Dan Patrick Show, Dan and the Dan Netts to leave the glockenspield because Jay Stu really rips on it. I don't know if you guys could hear that, but Jay Stu fantastic, super producing, and Jay, thank you for the gifts.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He's a great guy. He's a great producer. R Pal Jay Stue eight seven seven ninety nine out Fox. He's on the phones. Mary's here. We got Spotty on the videos at Covino and Rich and always a pleasure filling in for DP. This is already the third hour. I mean, time's flying, Am I right? Jay Man, time's a flying. This is day one of the Dan Patrick Unnatural Holiday hat Trick. Will be on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and of course we're usually on five to seven on the East Covino and Rich. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you your podcast. We appreciate it, follow, rate and review. Oh can I complain about something? I mean, that's what we're doing. I mean, we are complaining. It is festiv us for you know, for goodness sake, for the rest of us. You can say it's jealousy, because it is. I'm gonna say something, and I'll be honest, there's a clear jealousy factor. I hate the fact that what we do for a living. Kavino and I've been doing broadcasting for twenty years. Jay stew you've been in the game with Gottlieb, with Jim Rome. You've been how long You've been doing radio and broadcasting since ninety six? Same since ninety seven I started college radio. I'm a tad younger than you guys, but we're all in our forties doing ray. Well, you're a little older. We've all been doing radio for quite some time. The fact that someone becomes the viral sensation for a minute and then they have a podcast. I don't know why it bothers me so much. The fact at Hawk to a girl's like I have a podcast. The fact that the fact that Jason Kelsey's wife because she's the wife and she's likable, and she's the wife of a Kelsey whose brother's dating Taylor Swift. When you really track it, then she gets the number one podcast of the week over Joe Rogan. Stuff like that makes it I'm even more petty about. It's like, what am I even doing? On a more petty doing? What made us unique? Like that was a bold decision to be a college kid and say, you know what, I'm not even going for it, telling your family like I think I'm gonna do radio and they're like radio, you don't even talk? What are you crazy?
Speaker 4: Radio?
Speaker 2: That was like a bold choice. So our bold choice that made us unique, that we dove headfirst into is something that people do for fun and their socks and their basement. Everybody does what we do all of a sudden grant granted, ninety percent of them fail. The number one easy thing to buy online is used podcast equipment because apparently they you look anywhere people buy micone the setup they do a podcast, they realize they have a no one listening and quicker. This takes time and effort, doesn't it, and they sell.
Speaker 4: It so well.
Speaker 2: If we're gonnairk a grievances. I hate when people find out that I'm a professional broadcaster that has a podcast covin Or and Rich and then they want to tell me about their weak ass podcast that they listen to or they have like I don't want to hear about it, and I don't care. I'm telling you about mine. I'm on Fox Sports Radio. I'm in for the great Dan Patrick. You want to tell me about some stupid podcast you like? How about mine?
Speaker 4: That bothers me? I love you know why? I love this speak. I rarely get you two in this mood like you guys are in. This is more my mind.
Speaker 2: I know we're usually like we usually uh, we're usually like annoyingly positive. So you're right, this is good. Let's grieve, Jason. We have built our lives around radio, which turn into podcasting. Right, So if they find out, oh, you do a show and then they have to tell you about some other show they're into that I don't know or care about. To me, that's disrespectful. If I find out you're a plumber, I'm not gonna start talking about all these great plumbers. I know it's annoying, right, It's just how I find it to be annoying. Listen, since we're airing now, I'm letting you know listen, it might sound like again a little jealous. I don't know if it's that as much as there is something irritating about our industry and well audio entertainment is that it's all time high, which is great for what we do. It's just there. I heard some stat the other day that there's over four million podcasts that debuted last year. Most of them gone, like I said, but four million people launched a podcast, all right, well, which appreciate it. I remember devoter our lives to this. I remember you listen. We make a living on it, and we appreciate everyone listening. We're filling it for DP. I'm not. I don't want to bitch and complain too much, but one time I went out, what is the what is this the complainer and bitch show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's our.
Speaker 2: But we are today. But one last thing and then I'll be all positive again. I got what. I remember going to a bar with Cavino this when he first started dating his girlfriend, and his girlfriend brought out one of her friends. She was like some hot chick in her twenties and she's like, oh my god, my friend does exactly what you do. She does like a weekly like fashion podcast for fun. I'm like, your friends is not due what I did?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I think just a microphone in your room doesn't mean we do the same thing. I'll give you a grievance. In the world of sports, Okay, this next guy up makes the most money thing drives me insane. I love Rock Perty, I'm a Niners fan, but when people are saying, like, well, his turn fifty sixty million, No, I don't get why in sports it's become next guy up. Baseball, football, basketball, it really is like, your contract's up. Doesn't mean you need to now be the highest paid individual in that sport. And that is an odd thing that's going on. We'll give you one because look at any sport, it's usually not the best player that's the highest paid in that moment. Yeah, bro it should end with rock Party because he needs to be reasoning. If Brock Purdy got about forty five to fifty, I'd say, all right, the market's right. Yeah, But if Brock Purty gets fifty five sixty million dollars, then the market's not right just because he's the next guy.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that. That's annoying. How about this as a Yankees fan, you mentioned the facial hair rule. I agree, there's a compromise. The fact that they didn't have a City Connect jersey. That bothered me. It's like every team was like, yeah, man, let's have a cool, other alternative jersey. It's just a fun, fun merchandise to have. Although I believe in the pinstrip pride, like you can't have an alter like they have a batting jersey. Why couldn't you have a city connect the jersey. They're too cool for, like you said, the tradition of no facial hair, and they're too cool to go along with the cool trend for their young fans a city Connect jersey. That's why some of these young guys don't want to play for a stuffy organization like that. You can say tradition, but you got to compromise a little bit. So if you could have a navy blue batting jersey and you can wear a stupid mockneck underneath, like there's other variations of their merchandise, you couldn't have a City Connect. That was weird to me. I got another one that's nonsports related. We probably have brought it up for the past three or four years, but it still bothers me when when everybody just wants a tip, because it really is absurd. It's like, how did this become the normal thing? I just don't get that at all. You order a smoothie and they turn your little screen around and they play, here's what bothers me the most rich. I'm not gonna give you the same spiel about everybody wants a tip?
Speaker 4: Am I?
Speaker 2: Right? When they say it's gonna ask you a few questions? I want to again karate chop that person. And they're instructed to say that, but like, let's be really, what's the question question? How much you get to tip me? I said, you see the funny meme questions? You say, huh, you see the funny memeent with someone at a Catholic church and they were doing confession and the priest goes, it's gonna ask you a question, and the priest turns around. Dude, I mean, it's ridiculous. It's cross. So what's your take on this chase to because I last night I went to go get takeout. Mendosino Farms was like a cool little you know, sandwich spot out here in LA like you overpriced fifteen twenty dollars sandwiches. I go to pickup so no delivery. I make the order online on the app go to pick up? The app says, what's your tip? Are you tipping a pickup order? If you went to go get you and your.
Speaker 4: Short answer, short answer no. I For whatever reason, I don't know why COVID keeps coming up today, but during COVID, I became a very generous tipper. You know, that was the thing people in service last than are tips. And I'm still a generous tipper. I never stopped doing that. But I'm not tipping for anything I didn't tip for before COVID. That's my rule. We have to I'm not told guy that just made my sandwich.
Speaker 2: We have to take the power back when it comes to this. You feel like a grinch. You feel like a scrooge when you don't tip, but it's like you don't deserve it. And there was a mean to really wrap that up, Bretch, there's a new rule. If I order my food standing up, I'm not tipping.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's it's as simple as that, right, But you have to abide by You have that guilt trip right and you're like, do you know the exception is reset? The standard?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 2: If you order like a you know, like a fancy your burger place where you bring a number to your table on a runner brings your food, like the in between type place do you put like two or three bucks on? Then I'm like, why why? Because they walk two feet with my food? I don't Yeah, it does bother me. I'm sorry to bring it up again. It's been going on for a few years now, but I had to bring it up since we're aaron. Our grievance is it because it bothers me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, So your phone calls, we appreciate it. Let's let's let's zip through all of them. The phones are hot, as uh Scotti Farrell would say, light them up, So shake gato. It's fun anything from you. You're the biggest complainer right now, and you're pretty quiet. I mean, do you really want me to let loose on the two of you? Yeah, most of them have to do with us, I'm sure. Oh, I know Spot's biggest complaint. We'll have a really long We'll have a really nice com Let's say we go on for a really fun twenty minutes. I don't know talking about uh Patrick Mahomes. Spot hates at Cavino, and I think that it's easy for him to make that a thirty second clip on social media was stressful. Yeah, spot, make it like thirty seconds. It's like, how do you expect me to make a twenty minute conversation thirty second spot? Making thirty seconds? Tell me what you want me to want me to have you say? And then I'll be mad that he left out my head And then we've had that home impression that really like best point. He's like, what, oh, bro, you lift up my putt put that in?
Speaker 7: And I'm like, I you don't know how much stuff I took out just to make it make sense.
Speaker 2: You cut out the part where I was like, I'm here, I'm here. Why did you cut that out? It was the best port That was the best part. But but I can see that being one of your complaints because I think a lot of people that edit stuff for social media realize it's not It's not as easy as you think, Jay Stude. Where do we want to go? Who are we talking to?
Speaker 4: I think I want to start with Jeffrey in West Virginia. You've been holding the longest, Jeffrey, You're on the air. What's up, jeff Hey, I.
Speaker 8: Have a sports grievance and it may be old, but I've just noticed it this year go ahead, a lot of the inn FEL players don't seem to be wearing their mouth guards. They leave them hanging off the front of their face mask. And it's a safety professional that bothers me. But it's not in the rules that they have to wear them. But I think it's a bad example because the kids usually end up mimicking what the adults the NFL players do, and I think it's going to just trickle down to the little kids not wearing mouthpieces, and I think that's a bad, bad thing.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. And if you look closely, a lot of them don't even wear their the proper protective padding that they're supposed to be wearing. You know, they're just wearing their pants with no pads in them. Sometimes, but they put their mouthguard now. I don't know if you notice, but not only do they not put it in their mouth where it should be, it's not even bangling. They put it on top of their helmet. It's like stuck. They stick.
Speaker 4: There's a fluorescent mouthpiece hanging out of their helmet.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but it's all for flair. Steph Curry style.
Speaker 4: No, No, that's the thing. I think it's all started with Steph Curry. Okay, so Steph Curry started this whole thing where he's always just chewing on it, and I think it's going to take like one unfortunate episode, like something's gonna happen to stuff, and the doctor will have a press conference will be like, you know what, if he was just actually putting the mouth guard in his mouth, we could have saved his tongue.
Speaker 2: You know, it's gonna take it. It's gonna it's gonna take Steph Curry getting his front tooth knocked out and then he has terrible like veneers and they was like, Ah, it's gonna happen. It really is. I actually appreciate that one. Kids mimic this stuff. That's true. I love combat sports. We talked about the Usik Fury fight. I love MMA. How can we talk about safety in sports and then in the same breath watch these slap fights. I watched the dumb videos on TikTok and x and Instagram, But I mean, how are we okay with these slap Isn't that counteracting everything we talk about in sports, like safety, safety, vulnerable, how's that a sport? I just can't power slap Dana White letting you gotta give him credit for pushing that throw. And people be like, okay, yeah, sure.
Speaker 7: Power slab you uh tickle fights and if you laugh, then you're out.
Speaker 2: I got one from this.
Speaker 4: We can.
Speaker 2: Speaking of fights, you can't allow. Tyson Fury comes in weighing two eighty something, right, yeah, because it's a heavyweight fight. Olexander Usik is two twenty six in shape. Tyson Fury comes out there with his shorts pulled up to his man boobs. It's like, come on, dude, you can can't look like that in the fight, those shorts pulled up high way high like that. Nope, I'm gonna air my grievance. J Still, who's next?
Speaker 4: T I want to say, ta in Georgia? What's up?
Speaker 2: T at at a n R?
Speaker 3: What's up? Fella's shout out to y'all. Listen, y'all been grieving a lot, and I ain't gonna lie to you. Man, it's been so much I can't even I can't even remember what I actually was gonna be grieving about. Well, let's just say in the NBA in general, shout out to the to them having their whole I guess Cup, the second Annual Cup. Yeah, this whole them making a just trying to make a gimmick of things. Is just listen, just let it fall into obscurity like he did back in the mid two thousands, where there was maybe one or two superstars and then and then all of a sudden, something has to pop off where we start to look at and realize that there are other stars out here. You know, you're Pullow being Caroes and you're you know, you're of the superstars. So, you know, just just let it fall into obscurity. We don't have to change anything. Just let it be what it is.
Speaker 4: So that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. You're right on. And by the way, speaking of basketball, I have a one more grievance on Festivus. You know, I uh, I didn't downplay it, but I was. I was. I gotta be honest when I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I did not think the WNBA would flourish the way it did. I thought people would lose interest quick but I was wrong. The w NBA gained a lot of momentum. And my my grievance is and I don't think it's I don't think it has to be racial because people want to make it racial. I just think it's amazing how other women and people refuse to like elevate Caitlin Clark, the idea of like, you know, embrace this is what you've been waiting for. To quote your favorite movie, Diehard Spot Bobby, I'm your white Knight. Shit every time Kaitlyn Clark black white. I don't think this is a race thing. I think Kaitlyn Clark is a great thing for the WNBA and people should embrace it. They should embrace the feud with her in Angel Reese and and like there were people that were like, she shouldn't have been athlete of the year. It should have been the league. No, she should have been Athlete of the year. She delivered whatever gets on the sport, it's it would be like and I'm not comparing their importance to the sport, but it'd be like boxing fans not saying that Jake Paul is good for boxing, like he absolutely is. I'm not saying he's the greatest boxer, but he's bringing attention to the sport. That's what the sport needs. Much like women's basketball, I mean my angel Angel resent Kitlyn Clark. That's a great I like lean into this.
Speaker 7: Fewd lean into I have a great counter grievance for this point. Yeah, stop caring.
Speaker 2: Let's start.
Speaker 7: Stop pretending like you care about the WNB Just stop pretending, you know, like stop you know like women' spot, do you know, stop pretending you know your you know who.
Speaker 2: You are spot you stop pretending you.
Speaker 4: Care about the w n B A.
Speaker 2: For the first time, like you, I really was tuned in because of because of the rivalry between Kaitlyn Clark and Angel Rees.
Speaker 7: I'm really you really were tuned in. Rivalries were tuned in to the w n B A. Then no one was tuned into the w n B A this year. Many paid attention to the hot stories, the hot topics, the headlines tuned in.
Speaker 2: I didn't really spot with those sex I think, what a weird time to be sexist.
Speaker 4: But that was a part of the problem with the w n B A. And I'll piggyback on on Richard, this was my biggest grievance of the entire the entire year because you were so tuned jealousy about Kaitlyn Clark. No, but to piggyback on this. Part of it was that a lot of people who knew nothing about the sport or had zero opinions about it, all of a sudden had opinion, and then that became a thing for the WNBA to get more pissed off about. So not only were they pissed off about Caitlin Clark and all the attention she was getting, they were also pissed off at all the attention they were getting. It's like a league that can never be happy, it can never be grateful. I think that that's the biggest problem with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, I agree one hundred percent. It's like any hot issue. Everyone thinks they're an expert overnight because they get their rese there. Like everyone's a drone expert now right, everyone's a drone expert or a COVID expert. There's COVID again, you know whatever, the story is, all of a sudden, overnight, I'm a vaccine expert. Sure you are, okay, So we allow you to air your grievances on Festivus And it continues at Covino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio hashtag. I got a problem with Rich and we got to talk about Ricky Henderson. Yeah, the great Ricky passed away over the weekend. And you know, was it you? Someone hit me up early in the morning and it was me because that Dave Winfield story, Yeah, one that people we were talking about it. I got word and I was playing softball Saturday morning early, just you know, get a little exercise in while you sat around and did nothing. And I got the message and I was the guy that, you know, I don't want to be that guy, but I was like, yo, hey, do it guys, you're I think Ricky Henderson might have passed away. And it wasn't on TMZ, it wasn't on CNN or it was nowhere. It was Dave Winfield's instagram. I was like, yes, are It was like it's not very confirmed, but I hope that's not true. And then slowly but surely, the news started coming out and it just shows you man sixty five years old. He was one of those dudes we all thought this, not just me. I thought he'd lived to like one hundred and eighty five years old. I mean, I guess, Ricky Henderson, I guess. You don't know people's underlying health issues. But as a player, you look at me and say, the guy that was that fast, that powerful, that in shape, that ran he ran three to five miles every other day. He was conditioning. He was you know, remember he was on the nork Bears and some other minor league teams. As he got older, he was he was still stealing like forty fifties stolen bases a year at like forty six years old. So, I mean, the guy was in great shape. He's just one of those dudes that you thought for sure would live a long time. Sixty five. Ricky Henderson, the Man of Steel. So I want you to think about the favorite Ricky Henderson's story you have. I'm I'm not saying personally, hey, but if you have one, that would be great. But there are so many anecdotes and so many legendary baseball tales about the guy that's spoken third person. Ricky Henderson will share those stories. Pay a little tribute to the great Ricky Henderson. Next right here Covino rich In for the Great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search f to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. That's Covino and rich Man as much as I love being here in for Dan Patrick. Hey, I could get used to this. You mean we're done right after this? Damn? Actually we got to do our Patreon what at ten am today? Ten am on the West, one pm on the East. But we're Covino and Rich at Covino and Rich. As you hear run DMC Christmas in Hollis. There's a hilarious clip if you watch the show Abbot Elementary, which is one of the only good sitcoms left on network television. The teachers want to perform this at like the school Christmas festival, and all the young kids like what is this? Meanwhile, this used to be what would be considered the coolest Christmas song when we were kids. You said Christmas song?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: Funny that it was in the movie die Hard, which is technically a Christmas movie, Am I right?
Speaker 2: You know someone debated me on this because I said that. I said that the die Hard Christmas debate is up there for me with Lebron versus Jordan, a debate for nimrods. But I will add this one thing. Someone hit me up. Someone hit you up with the the best, I would say, the best argument yet saw it on our Twitter. Actually, I think someone hit me up saying that It's a Wonderful Life and all these other Christmas movies were also released in the summer, and I'm like, oh were they, because yeah, It's Wonderful Life is undeniably a Christmas I agree, So that's no debate. So that goes against thought.
Speaker 7: Sports. I assume it's sports. Degen fifty eight says on Twitter it has seven Christmas songs on its soundtrack.
Speaker 2: To me, that's a Christmas movie. That's more than most Christmas movies.
Speaker 4: But that was what was so funny about what Rich said. He said, the nimrods who have this debate, and then he ended debate by going with the unpopular answer. Of course it's not. That's an unpopular answer, Rich, if you're gonna call people nimrods and then pick the one that's very controversial.
Speaker 2: Jase dou you know it's interesting is that I'm talking about something I said I hate talking about so in fact, in the moment, I hate myself and I hate you, Ricky Henderson. I hate myself right now because the more I think about it, I realize why idiots including me in this moment fight about this Diehard thing because the same I guess what I'm not watching randomly in the spring or summer a Christmas movie, But I would watch die Hard randomly if I if it was on TV or something so.
Speaker 7: Rich Derail's conversations. That's one of my grievances. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm talking about. Rickey Henderson, the late great Ricky sixty five years old, complications from pneumonia. Is there any update or is that where is That's where we're at right, No, man, But it did start with some speculation because Dave Winfield, former teammate, Hall of Famer legend Dave Winfield, posted that he was truly upset, couldn't believe, still coldn't believe that he had to deal with the passing of his longtime friend Ricky Henderson. And then that put everyone on this search like what Ricky Henderson? And it was nowhere to be seen. The family hadn't announced anything, It wasn't on TMZ or any news outlet. I know you did, and of course you went to X, you went to tams that, you went everywhere, and then you Google news Ricky and nothing comes up. And then later that day it started to come out and you're like, no way, man, Ricky Henderson. You know people throw around, this is one one takeaway people throw around. Oh he was one of a kind. Oh man, he was one of the great ones. They throwed that stuff around way too much, because then how do you describe a Ricky Henderson? Give me a break. He's arguably the greatest, if not all around greatest player we've ever seen, greatest leadoff hitter of multy five years in the big leagues. And talk about characters, right, so many takeaways, so many moments, And I have one of my favorite it quotes. The thing is, sometimes the legend becomes fact. A lot of these stories aren't true, but you want him to be true. Some of them are true. But I'll never forget as a Yankees fan just seeing Ricky Henderson knowing he was in Oakland A. And there's no debate there. He's an Oakland A. He's a Bay Area legend. But he played five sweet years with the Yankees, and in the prime time of my fandom growing up, when I was a kid, when he saw how this dude played, and he saw him steel bases, you saw how he looked in a uniform. One of my first takeaways was my goodness, he looks like a running back in pinstripes, chiseled out of stone, chiseled out of stone, like you saw. This sounds corny, but I'm sure Mary wouldn't recognize this or know this. Mary's a little younger. Like you saw his quads through the uniform, Like you saw how like built he Back in the day when we were kids, people that played baseball looked like Keith nandez An Ozzie Smith, like you were like dad bod sort of. And Ricky Henderson was the one guy where you're like, he must work out. You're like, this dude is chiseled and you saw his leg muscles through the uniform, you really did. You saw how he played the game he didn't know. And I don't think a lot of people talk about this, but I think everybody knows it. One of my first observations as a child, because we would mimic it was not only his batting stance, but when he would snap a fly ball a pop out, he would snap it to the side of his glove. He would catch a routine can of corn with flash and flare, and that's what separated Ricky Henderson. When you see someone do that, you know what you know in little league or rec league softball, when someone has a lazy flyball and they catch it a little snap down with their glove, that's the Ricky flash, the only guy doing that.
Speaker 4: Because he was actually he was the hot dog before baseball allowed you to be a hot dog like today, people that that pimped their home runs and Cadillac around the base was the that happens every.
Speaker 2: Day in their jersey when you paid for it. Yeah, Steve, they kind of let it go. For Ricky, they absolutely did. He was the exception. He was the only guy Jase did. That's a great point. I'm because I picture Ricky because another misconception. Oh fast, you know a lot of stone bases and hits. I had a ton of home runs for a leadof hitter, almost four hundred, I believe, right like three ninety something three that like ninety seven or ninety nine. Maybe give me a cross before Rickey Henderson home run. I think it's like three ninety seven.
Speaker 4: Like in a lot of ways, like you always hear about, oh that guy is that guy's old school, Ricky was way ahead of his time in that nowadays, you put all your power hitters at the top of the order. Ricky Henderson was a power hitter you put at the top of the order. He just happened to be fast.
Speaker 2: But I mean he bat at two seventy nine. I knew that just because I wanted him to be like that two to eighty guy. But twenty five years into Bigies, broke every stolen base record possible. Got a little criticism when he said, you know today, I'm the greatest. Got a little criticism back then, which is again because it was back then. Now everybody showboats. Jay Stu made the best point that he was playing way ahead of his time. The fact that we live in a world now, and I'm all for it. We live in a world of staring at your home run bat flips. I like the world of Major League baseball, adding a little flash and a little a little fun. I like a good bat flip. I like an aggressive pitcher then pitching inside. That's part of the game.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 2: Ricky Henderson is the first guy I could ever remember. I'm picturing him in the batter's box, ripping a home run and doing like that first hop step to first base. Pimp and his shirt Yeah, the chain comes out a little bit. Yet, you know, as he rounded the bases. He had over three thousand hits. He was just a dominant personality for the world of baseball and one of my favorite stories. Again, we all have our favorite moments. I had my favorite baseball cards, my favorite pictures of him. I have a picture that I kept. I used to have it in the frame. What I did, Rich, I've taken a lot of memorabilia down. I put him in books, like in a plastic sleeve, right, and I have a picture. Let you know the rule about memorabilia, Jason, he wasn't autographed. It's not autographed. You just have a picture of a man on your wall. Yeah, so this is a group of men. But I had a picture of like it was Ricky Henderson, Willie Randolph, Don Manningly, Dave Brughetti, Dave Winfield, all in one one photo. And I always loved because I mean, these were my heroes and Ricky Henderson front and center, just smiling making everybody laugh. That was the other thing with Ricky Henderson, Tuto Rich. He had all this flair and all this flash. He backed it up and he was likable. He was beloved, by all his teammates, and even if he was playing against you, you sort of respected him. No one hated Ricky Henderson the way you could hate someone as dominant as he was with that much flash. One of my favorite stories. It's one of one of the stories that I'm not sure it's true, but I could see it happening, but it made me laugh either way. One of my favorite stories. Rumor has it, when Ricky Henderson played for the Mariners in two thousand, he noticed first baseman John Olrud wore a helmet while playing in the field instead of a cap. Ricky told him, I used to play with a guy on the Mets last year that did that too. Olrud replied, Yeah, that was me, Ricky. We were teammates on the Mets last year, if that's true. Like, I love that he was so just Ricky Henderson. And he's played with so many different people that maybe it didn't register, Like, you know, it's interesting to know what made that guy tick. He was such an old school ballplayer. You know, I'm sure he had great relationships, but I'm sure some of them were just baseball relationships.
Speaker 4: Well, what's crazy about the story you just told us? I remember hearing a totally different story, and that's that's what kind of makes these Ricky Henderson's stories weird, as you don't know which ones have been exaggerated or not right. I heard that ol Rud played with him and won a World series with him in the ninety three Blue Jays. Yeah, that's true that Allud said. Yeah, we were also teammates in Toronto. Like there was a there was an addition to the punchline in the story that I heard.
Speaker 2: So again, you're right, that adds to the legend. Yeah, that makes more sense. Yeah, it does make more sense. And I was reading that one off of the internet, but because I didn't want to like misquote it, I like your version, Jay Stu better. But when the legend becomes fact print the legend and he was a legend Ricky Henderson. We all know the Ricky story where probably in the clubhouse, people are talking about who's batt and what and batting average, and someone was also talking and said John John three sixteen, and they quoted the Bible, and Ricky Henderson said, yeah, I don't want to hear about John hitting three sixteen Ricky hitting three thirty. That's when I find hard to believe. But I love that story too. I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 4: But I love it.
Speaker 2: And Ricky Henderson and also talked in third person and got away with it. Anyone else under the moon talking third person, you're like, who's this guy? Because they're not Ricky Henderson.
Speaker 4: And speaking of by the way, so Seaton O'Connor, who is a longtime Danette as you've been listening to him every morning on the show forever, he had a personal Ricky Henderson's story. This is Seaton's Twitter account from Saturday. I spoke to Ricky Henderson once. It was after he did an interview on the show, after Dan said goodbye to him. I picked up the phone and said, hey, Ricky, this is Seaton. Seaton just wanted to say thank you until you Seaton is a huge fan, and he said back, tell Seaton. I said, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. It's funny, I said, did you see the one that's going around? Harold Reynolds shared the story is a true one because it's coming from Harold Reynolds. The year was nineteen eighty seven. Ricky Henderson was dealing with injuries on the Yankees that year, so it was the one year where the like the one year Ricky didn't lead the league in stolen bases, he was banged up. Harold Reynolds ended the season with sixty stolen bases, the only season between eighty and ninety one that Ricky didn't win the stolen based title. He called the Harold Reynolds this phone rings. He goes, yeah, what's up, rick Man? You ought to be a shamed saying that sixty was not enough. What are you talking about, Ricky? Sixty stolen bases? You ought to be a shame. Ricky had sixty at the break and hangs up his phone.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Our producer Monday through Friday, producer Danny g you know the superstar. He hit me up with a meme that went viral today. He says led Daylon Cruz led MLB in twenty twenty four with sixty seven steals and was caught sixteen times at the age of twenty two. So sixty seven steals, caught sixteen times at twenty two. The Ricky Henderson led MLB in ninety eight with sixty six steals and was caught thirteen times. He was thirty nine years old. Man like you know another another term and expression that we throw around way too much. Built different. No, Ricky, You're not built different. That guy, that living Ricky Henderson was built different. You know, he really was that guy everybody else people pretend to be or want to be, or we claim to be, they're really not. Maybe they are for the moment, for that day, for that game. Ricky Henderson was that guy for every team he played for. And you speaking of which, yeah, he played for a lot of teams. Not thirteen teams, thirteen team changes. That's a hell of a lot of advice. It is like four times. Right, there's no way there's a player in Major League Baseball history. I'm not even need to look it up. There's no player that has gone to the same team as many times as Ricky Henderson found his way back to Oakland. Right, there's no way, dude. I saw over the weekend a highlight of him in a Dodger outfit. Yeah, he played his last career home last base. That was his last year.
Speaker 4: I don't even remember him being a Dodger Like that's how he was just like on one team a year, half a year. He was a rental player. It was crazy. He bounce around.
Speaker 2: Let me he had some big moment random teams, Padres. I believe he hit his uh three thousandth if I'm not mistaken. Let me. Let me go through real quick the teams and tell me if we all remember, because I feel like you're gonna be like I remember that, all right? We start with Oakland old school Ricky Oakland of course, yeah, eighties with the Yankees, we of course remember that. Then back to the Oakland A's that's when he's part of that team with McGuire and won World Series and they did not McGuire and you know Conseko, I do remember. After that he went to Toronto. I remember that, by the way, before you skip, I saw Dave Stewart said, like, by the way, his teammates legends, like so many legends have come out to say how much he meant to them, and Dave Stewart being one of them. Yeah, of that eighty nine A's squad and Jose Cansecos known for being a jerk. Look what he I'm gonna find what jose can say? Save it for next. So then we went to Toronto. Then we went to Oakland again. This is where it starts to get a little dicey where he's jumping around the lot San Diego, but I do remember him as a Padre Angels for a second, then back to Oakland. Then he went to the Mets for a couple of coffee, you know, a year or so, then Seattle, then San Diego again. The one that would I would if you gave me trivia, j su, I would miss this one. Boston for a second, and Seattle to me, those are Seattle I might be able to visually place. And then he went to the Dodgers. I remember how it ended, but Boston would be the one. If we played on the road again, I would never have remembered. But then he played in the miners like he was still grind in as a ballplayer, because that's who he was. Jose Can Sakea. I'm heartbroken and devastated. Ricky Henderson was an incredibly talented player, but an even better human. I'll never forget the incredible memories we created together, memories I'll never forget. Rest easy, my friend again. Everybody loved this guy. He led by example.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio, wap.
Speaker 2: Police Nabi Dog. This is a top ten Christmas song, though I love all the Spanish leaning ones, bring me back to my roots. Rich Mamasita adondesta, Sante Claus good one too. Where is Santa Claus? That's the translation for Jase two. It's christmass E. Well, hey, Felice, no me don everybody coming on Rich two days till Christmas. I think we're at the point now where if you think you're relying on like Amazon to get a package to you, it might be out of luck, dude, that it might be the Walmart Target mall struggle for the next forty eight hours. I went to them all yesterday. It was a nightmare. It was my nephew's birthday. I wanted to get him something I wasn't trying to do, Like last Minut Christmas Show. I'm like, gel my god, hard get him a Turboman doll. Yeah, you had one turboman left anyway, I'm Covino. That is Rich. Happy Holidays. We got Jay Stu on the phones. It's a pleasure working with Jay Stu. Great team here at Fox Sports Radio. It's always fun to fill in for the Dan Patrick Show, Day one of the DP hat Trick. We'll be back tomorrow and of course Thursday. But again, happy holidays, thanks to Mary, Thanks to you guys, Thank you. You know what we want for Christmas? Besides Turbo Man, besides tackle me out a puppy, No, I want my pitt Monster. And I want you to follow, rate and review our podcast. Really that simples free search Covino and Rich. That's that's all we want. Wherever you stream your podcast, search Covino, coov I and O and Rich and enjoy our show because maybe, yeah you're busy when we're on normally Monday. I give it a shot. You know what's take three quick phone calls about Ricky I mean Ricky Henderson sixty five. It was sort of a dude, way too young for anybody, but especially Ricky Henderson's. That's what I thought, right, Like, you know there's people that are unhealthy that hit ailments and yeah, sixty sucks. You know, it's very young. You know a clip I saw that that warm my heart. I thought a guy like Ricky Between you and I I was saying, I thought a guy like Gricky would live like ninety. But then again, you didn't know that he had asthmen all these other issues, which is wild. I don't remember this clip. It's just do you see a lot of these things surface because he passed away. When his daughter threw out a first pitch to him, that was cool, really really cool. Some go to highlights some of the stories. Which ones stand out to you? Who do we got ja?
Speaker 4: Stu Anthony? Anthony's in California?
Speaker 2: What's up it?
Speaker 5: Hey, gentlemen? How are you happy Holidays?
Speaker 2: That guy man? What what's your Ricky thought?
Speaker 5: My first Ricky impression was I'm growing born and raised the Bay Area, number thirty five, Ricky Henderson, Billy ball. But maybe you guys know the story about the time he's a rookie he got his first paycheck. I don't know if you guys heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's the million dollar teck. Please share the story gets the have this one for you?
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a million dollar check. So those people that know about the million dollar check he gets his first check, it's all on dudes. He puts it at home, he framed it, puts it at the house, frames it shows it off a month later into the month payroll. Someone from the a's called Ricky, the million dollar check, the bonus, just signing.
Speaker 1: But what'd you do it?
Speaker 3: Did you lose it? No? Ricky has it on his wall.
Speaker 5: Do you mean you got on your wall framed? No, Ricky, you got to cash that check. We have we have a roll where our numbers are off. Oh Ricky, Sorry.
Speaker 2: I love that story because that's that's a fact. That one's true. He shared it. He was just so proud of the million dollar check. He framed it and hung it in his home. And it turns out like their books were off and they were trying to figure out what's going out? Well, how are we a million dollars off? He never catched a check.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: Well let's take it one more. Jason, your tries? Where do you want to go?
Speaker 4: Uh? Ken, Ken, You're in Texas?
Speaker 2: Right, that's up?
Speaker 1: Ken?
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, how's it going?
Speaker 2: What's hey?
Speaker 6: So when I was a kid, I was eleven years old, my buddies and I got into collecting baseball cards for about three days and we went out and bought up. We rode our bikes to the Stop and Go, bought a bunch of packed cards, opened them up, threw them in a shoe box didn't looked at them again until about twelve years later. I'm broke, I'm out of college.
Speaker 2: Hey maybe quick man. I don't think we have time for your story. This it's supposed to be anecdote. It's not a yeah, hits up at COVID Rich. We'll take your feedback tomorrow. We appreciate your call, though, and we'll see you back here tomorrow.
Speaker 4: That was quick.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jay, Stu, Thank you Mary. Until then, at coviing on Rich are we there at you baby? See you have a good day yet.
Speaker 4: Guys,