Speaker 1: Welcome to off the cop with me, se Cup. So last weekend I was in Washington, d C. With almost everyone else who does what I do for a living, and I go every year for the White House Correspondence Dinner. In years past, I've attended the dinner and there's parties and events and it's a fun chance to see colleagues and friends. Sometimes I bring my family down and we have a little fun in DC. But in the past few years I've actually gone down to cover the dinner for CNN, so not to attend, which is a relief, honestly, that dinner is not It hasn't been fun in a long time. I'll just say that, Okay, there was a time it was fun. It's not been fun in a long time. So happy to not be at it. And CNN is one of the only cable networks that airs the entire dinner wall to wall, and we have reporters on the carpet interviewing guests, we comment on the speeches, all of it. So I've done that the past few years, and this year I was in studio at CNNDC with my colleagues covering the dinner. When you know, all held broke loose, and then we had to cover the breaking news for four plus hours, bringing you all the information we could from our sources in and out of the room, from law enforcement, from our own colleagues who were there, like like Wolf Blitzer, who was actually in the same place as the shooter. He was tackled by police for his own protection. And it was a lot. It was a lot, as breaking news always is. I've had to cover breaking news a lot over my career, from Sandy Hook to wars and other incidents and political breaking news, and you know, it's a lot of pressure. The difference this time is I was covering a breaking news story that involved all my friends, Like I knew lots of people in that room, both you know, in journalism but also in the administration. And I've talked a lot about it, so we don't need to like get into it all again. But I did want to take this opportunity, since we haven't spoken since that dinner, to say before we get into the news, that I was so proud of my friends and colleagues for the poise and the professionalism that they exhibited that night, even while they were worried about their own safety, they were reporting on what was happening. They were running down sources, you know, while they were under tables. They were taking bikes to the White House to cover the President's briefing in their ball gowns and tuxas. And this was a night where they were preparing to be roasted by the president to their faces. And I've talked about that and what I thought, how that was a bad decision, But they would have taken it like the adults that they are. They wouldn't have tried to sue him or silence him. They wouldn't have threatened or intimidated him. Instead, they would have just sat there and taken it, because that's what we do. We take it. We take it from the President, we take it from Brendan Carr, we take it from Pete Hegseth, we take it from whomever in the administration because they're the thin skinned ones and we just do our jobs. So they would have taken it, but they didn't have that night. Instead, they faced a different kind of chaos and indignity thanks to a deranged lunatic who believed that violence was righteous and justifiable, even like too many people do these days. It was an awful night in so many ways, but also it was a real testament to the point of the night, which is press freedom. And all the people in that room are attacked on a near daily basis by people who call them fake, who call them enemies, who send them death threats, myself included. And as professional as they were and are, they're also human. So I just want to shout out my colleagues. I'm just proud of them, and I'm proud to be in this community. All right, let's move on to the news. We're gonna do a little left right today. I want to start with the right and the news that Trump's DJ is once again going after James call Me, because this is such, this is such a layered and interesting story, and in many ways it's a very sad story as well. This week, Acting Attorney General Todd blanche who, as you know, is auditioning to drop the acting and just become Trump's new ag, he announced he had indicted former FBI director James call Me for the second time in less than a year, over an Instagram post in which Comy had arranged seashells on a beach to spell out eighty six forty seven. Now, Trump is saying that eighty six means kill. We know. Forty seven refers to Trump, the forty seventh president, but to literally everyone else in the free world, eighty six means to Nick. Yes, it comes from restaurant jargon. Nick's a menu item. But Trump and Blanches DJ are actually making the case that this amounted to a threat of violence. That sounds silly. It's because it is, and there are many reasons why it's silly. First, a message made out of seashells a year ago, photographed and posted on Instagram for the world to see. Yes, this sounds like someone who is definitely hatching a plan to go kill the president. Yeah, gonna make a I'm gonna make a message in shells, take a picture of it and post it with my name on it. Yeah, doesn't really feel like an imminent threat, does it? Like? If Trump really felt like he was in danger from Jim Comy, wouldn't the FEDS have arrested him immediately. Comy was so dangerous to the president that they waited a year to indict him. That makes no sense. Come on, weren't born yesterday. Second, it's just impossible. It's flat out impossible to divorce this indictment from the politics of revenge that we know Trump is so obsessed with. He already tried indicting him last fall. It was tossed. It was tossed because of a procedural error at the DOJ. You'll remember, the judge in that case ruled that the prosecutor, Lindsay Helligan, was unlawfully appointed. And that's because the other prosecutors who got the case refused to take it. They knew it was baseless, they knew it was politically motivated. They refused to do it. So Trump had to find a lawyer who was willing to take the case, and he did, and she was a joke. And that's why that judge dismissed the case. So anyway, they're back at it, and let me just read you some of the headlines about how people think it's going to go this time around. Close Trump ally in the House shades Jim Comey indictment. Judge Andrew Napolitano says frivolous Comy indictment will be tossed. Trump allies are privately trashing embarrassing Comy indictment. Fox News legal analyst shreds Trump DOJ's absurd Comy prosecution weak case. Fox is Jonathan Turley skeptical of Trump. GJ is new comy indictment every headline I just read. That's from his side of the aisle. Guys, his friendlies on his networks are calling this indictment quote frivolous, embarrassing, absurd. Week with friends like that, who needs enemies? I don't even need to come on and do this. His own side is like, dude, dude, let it go. This is this is stupid. But that's not all you want it. It gets even stupid, are you? Guys? Trump may have killed this case before it's even begne cee an it's Caitlyn Collins asked him this week in a briefing if he really took that message in seashells I'm paraphrasing as a threat to his life, and Trump typical Trump fashion, says, I don't know, probably so good as senior CNN legal analyst Elly Honig pointed out after that, well, that gives the jury reasonable doubt. If Trump doesn't know whether he thought he was his life was in danger, I don't know. Probably how is a jury supposed to know if he thought his life was in danger? And that's the ruling. If he really thought his life was in danger, he just said, I don't know. Probably they're just so bad at this. Trump can't keep his mouth shut. His DOJ is running out of competent prosecutors to take these garbage loser cases. And for what for Trump to lose case after case after case. I mean, it's humiliating. They have failed to put like any of Trump's enemies in prison, and yet he is pathologically consumed with old and irrelevant grudges. I think Trump never looks weaker than he does in these moments when he's pursuing these personal vendettas and losing. Just in the past year, Trump's DOJ has lost numerous high profile cases it sought to use to appease the president's bloodlust. I'm going to tick through them. It failed to get an indictment against those six Democratic lawmakers, including Senator Mark Kelly, over a video they released regarding illegal orders. Remember he was going to prosecute this gang of six. Yeah, nothing, it was dropped. Grand Juries rejected various cases against protesters in Washington, d C. That Trump tried to have arrested, an attempt to charge a man with a f tell any assault for throwing a sandwich at an officer, well that failed to secure a felony indictment. Attempts to prosecute to James New York AG, former CIA director John Brennan, fed Shaer Jerome Powell thus far have all failed. Trump's also failed to successfully sue a number of his political opponents, from Hillary Clinton to the DNC, the New York Times to CNN. Remember he was going to put us all in jail. No judges have overruled his attempts at silencing news outlets, blocking a Pentagon policy limiting reporter access, ordering the White House to lift restrictions on the AP after Trump had banned the news agency for refusing to use the term Gulf of America. I remember how stupid that was. Yeah, judge ordered the White House to love you can't do that, and blocking an executive order to cut funding for NPR and PBS. He loses and loses and loses. He's lost so many of these petty personal fights. It's hard to imagine why he keeps going back to the trough only to suffer more humiliating losses. I guess if he thinks the process is the pain, right, because he doesn't have to pay for any of these lawsuits. Taxpayers do. We do, we get that honor. But the targets of his law fair do have to pay for their lawyers to defend his nonsense attacks. So I guess that's what he gets out of it. But for a guy who understands optics and appearances like the TV of it all, I don't understand why he likes losing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. I don't get it. It's so small, it's so embarrassing, it's so dumb. But it's a trophy goes back and back to because he just can't help himself. He fired Pambondi because she didn't get enough or any scalps. We'll see if Todd Blanche can do better. It's just such a waste. Okay, I want to move on to another story from the week This is over on the Left. Did you happen to catch Pod Save America's John Favreau and his interview with DNC chair Ken Martino. Boy, Oh my god, you gotta go watch it. I watched the whole thing. It was let's just say it was uncomfy. John Favreau asked some very very good questions of Ken Martin of his own side, which, believe me, I know, can be hard to do, but it's so necessary and important. So I was really, you know, but proud of John Favreau, impressed by John Favreau for really going after Ken Martin, and he did. And one of the main lines of questioning came around the dem autopsy that the party did last year. We've talked about it a bit here, and having been through the Republican autopsy in twenty twelve, which which I personally worked on, I can tell you how valuable this exercise can be. And in twenty twenty four, when Democrats lost all seven swing states to a convicted criminal and a guy, we knew it was crucial that they do that autopsy. It was the right thing to do, to ask how did this happen, what mistakes did we make? What can we learn from twenty twenty four and not repeat in twenty twenty eight. Good questions, right, like obvious, obvious need for this autopsy. But in December of last year, Ken Martin announced he wouldn't be releasing the results of that autopsy, which I could not believe. I couldn't believe when I heard that. What a dumb decision and a huge missed opportunity. For a couple of reasons, a releasing the autopsy would have inoculated the party from years of having to answer this same question, what was in the autopsy? They look so scared running from their own shadow, and they're going to face these questions from folks like Jon Favreau for the next couple of years. What was in the autopsy? What were you so afraid of? But it also would have given Ken Martin and other Democrats the opportunity to do something really important, which is reassure voters, voters who at the moment are giving the Democratic Party a twenty eight percent approval rating abysmal. It would have given them the opportunity to reassure voters that they get it. Okay, they understand, they got what they did wrong, they learned from their mistakes, and here's how they're moving forward to win those voters back and put the party in a better position for twenty twenty eight. What Democrat wouldn't relish that opportunity to come out and say we got it, we got it, we're correcting it, not gonna happen again. We're not gonna we're not gonna let you down again. They did none of that. They get to do none of that because they're scared of whatever's in that autopsy. Now, maybe there are a few surprises in that autopsy. I don't know. I doubt it. For me, it's hard to see. It's hard to imagine that the reasons the party lost aren't the obvious ones we can see, like we can decide like there were bad candidates. Biden should not have run, period, and Kamala basically ran as Biden. You know she had to because he was still her boss. The divide on the Israel issue divided the party two. But the main reason I know that they lost, and I'm sure you know that they lost, is because they look voters in the eye and they said that the three problems you're most concerned about aren't real, they're imaginary. The economy it's great. What are you complaining about. Crime, it's down, you're safe. Relax. Immigration, there's no migrant crisis. You're just racist. It was such an insane dereliction of duty to campaign that way. It was political map practice, and it was just stupid. It is not rocket science to figure out what happened. But you know, again, because I've been through an autopsy, it does reveal things you can't maybe see in front of your face. It might have drilled down into all kinds of strategic mistakes, maybe some media mistakes, fundraising mistakes, map and math mistakes, all kinds of things that would be really great to know. And especially if you're a Democratic voter, you deserve to know what the party did wrong and what it learned. You should demand that, in fact, because let's just be honest here and say what really happened. The Democratic Party let you down in twenty twenty four. It let us all down in twenty twenty four. I voted for Biden in twenty twenty first Democrat I have voted for president. It let me down in twenty twenty four. And we are here today in a war we've never asked for. Tariff, no one wanted immigration policies that have militarized our cities and gotten Americans killed. A Republican Congress who's turning a blind eye to every un American, undemocratic, unconstitutional thing. The president is doing, an economy that is tanking, and on and on. We're here because the Democratic Party let us down in twenty twenty four. We're here because the party didn't listen to its voters. Instead of listening to the issues that voters said they cared about, it wanted to tell voters the issues they should care about. It's indefensible. It's indefensible what happened in twenty twenty four. So you shouldn't just assume that the Democratic Party has it's shit together this time. You shouldn't just assume that they're going to run candidates who can win in twenty twenty eight. You shouldn't assume they'll make her decisions. You should demand that the party be accountable to you, the voters, And part of that is releasing the autopsy and telling you what happened. Because it's been accountable, it seems only to consultants and corporations and special interests that have their own agendas, and those agendas are hurting the party, they're hurting us. This goes to another issue that became relevant this week. Did you see that Janet Mills means pretty popular governor dropped out of her bid for Senate. Mills, a Democrat, was running to unseat Republican Susan Collins, who has been there for twenty nine years. Guys and Mills was actually recruited by Chuck Schumer. Well, she dropped out this week because she says she doesn't have the money to keep running, So that leaves Graham Platner, the progressive oyster farmer with no political experience and some baggage to run against Collins. Democrats hope of unseating Susan Collins now rests with Graham Plattner now. Mills campaign reminded me a lot of Andrew Cuomo's campaign in New York City. I covered the Mumdanni mayoral election every day last year, and the Democratic Establishment aka the Party kind of ran the same playbook against Mumdanni as it is against Platner. The Democrats tried to make Mumdanni scary in the primary, scary to other Democrats. They thought if they pointed out the things that he had said about cops and Israel, that that would be enough to turn voters off. And it did turn some voters off. It certainly turned me off, and they could have ended up being problems for Mumdanni, but ultimately they weren't because voters were more concerned with issues and ideas. They liked Mumdanni's ideas. They liked that he wasn't an establishment politician. They ignored the DNC, they ignored Cuomo, and in fact, the Democratic Party hardly helped Mumdanni at all. Schumer didn't even endorse Mumdanni when he became the nominee. Jeffries only did the last minute. The main race to me, feels similar. The Democratic Party was backing Mills, and it tried to ward voters off Platner by making him seem scary, the Nazi tattoos, his comments about rural America and cops, I mean, all of which could be disqualifying and again turn me off. But it's a new era. Voters like Platner because of his ideas, because he's not an establishment politician. They're sick of the gerontocracy telling them how to vote. And Schumer's running a playbook from like twenty twelve, it's twenty twenty six. He is so out of touch. How does the party not get that? And look what worked from Momdannie in New York City may not work for Platner in Maine or James tell Rico in Texas will have to see but backing Mills the way that the Democratic Party did, only to have her drop out and leave Graham Plattner may have guaranteed Collins gets another their term. So they don't have it all together. Guys, Trump is an insane person. This administration is off the rails, that's for sure. Democrats don't have it together though, And while midterms look like they're going to be good for Dems, I'm very worried about twenty twenty eight. You should be too, okay when we come back. I talked to a former DEM operative about all of this. Don't go anywhere. Welcome back to Off the cop I'm joined now by my friend Moa Laitha. Mo was the DNC spokesman. He's a DEM strategist. Currently he's the executive director of the Institute of Politics and Public Service at Georgetown University.
Speaker 2: Welcome mo It's so good to be with you.
Speaker 1: So good to be with you too. We were talking about the podsave interview with Ken Martin, and I really really want to get your take on it, in which John Favreau kind of you know corners. Ken Martin on why the DNC hasn't released the autopsy and apparently has no plans to. And I can't tell you how dumb I think that decision is as someone who did a Republican autopsy and we learned a lot from it. But what's your take on on all of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and me both, I don't. Uh, I don't get it. Yeah, you know, Look, I'm uh. In my previous life, I was a I was a communications guy. Yeah, and like and a great one. You're you're too kind. But like rule number one, like, don't make a promise you know you're not going to keep. And so whether or not, like it was smart to release the autopsy, he promised to release the autopsy. He campaigned on releasing the autopsy. So it just set just set up an expectation. And so if you're not, if you don't want to release the whole thing, release something, right, do something. But when it gets to the heart of the matter itself, I think here's the problem. I'm a proud Democrat, have been my whole life, even though I run this non partisan institute now like I'm a Democrat. We messed up the last election, and I think it is important for people to see why and how Number two, people don't like us right now. They like Republicans less, but that doesn't mean they like us, and to show a little bit of self reflection would probably do us some good, right. I Mean, one of the reasons people don't trust politics in general is because because of that fact, they don't they think we're tone deaf in both parties, and so being able to go out there and say you know what, we hear you, we see what you don't like, and we're going to make some changes like that would go a long way to restoring public trust.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just said that, and you weren't here for when I said that, so we didn't coordinate this like that's it when you in twenty twelve, someone in the party, I forget who it was, said, listen, we got sent to the woodshed, and when you get sent to the woodshed, you sit down, shut up, and think about what you've done. And that really stuck with me because you know, I was a lifelong Republican. That was my team and we lost badly, and so I wanted I thought it was important we owed it to voters to say we're working on ourselves. You deserve a better party, You deserve answers, you deserve to know that we figured some stuff out and it did go a long way.
Speaker 2: You'll get this right as a parent, like when my kids screw up, Yeah, I want them to own up to screwing up. When they don't, when they just say no, I didn't do anything right, right, that pisses me off even more so, Like, you know, it's no different here. People want to know that we get it and you know we own up to it. It's not going to restore trust overnight. Things might even get worse before they get better, but that's the first step. That they won't get better if we don't.
Speaker 1: I agree, And that worries me because again, I think Trump and Republicans are such an in such a bad place, and they're such an existential threat, like the other party needs to get its act together and be a stronger buffer, and obviously they didn't do that job. In twenty twenty four, the reports that the big boogeyman in the autopsy is like the fracturing of the party over Gaza. Even if that's true, don't you think we can handle it?
Speaker 2: And don't you think people already know that? Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, we saw it play out in front of ourselves every single day.
Speaker 1: It's not a secret issue. It was issue through the whole campaign.
Speaker 2: Through the whole campaign. And so if we as a party, if people who want to lead this nation can't stand up and talk about the hard things. Yeah, right, Like, what's the point? What's the point? Otherwise we're just going to continue down this terrible trend of each party winning elections by sucking just a little bit less.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, that's a perfect way to put it, right, I mean that we can suck the least.
Speaker 2: That's been like the last two or three election cycles for us.
Speaker 1: Yes, Democrats lost kinds of voters in twenty twenty four. They lost a good number of black voters, Hispanic voters, young voters. They left the Democratic Party for Trump. Now some of that support has collapsed, of course on the right. But if Democrats want them to return to the party and not just stay home in twenty twenty six, have they done enough to show that they've earned that vote back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know. I mean, this could be what we were just talking about. Right. Look, when Trump won with what was an incredible coalition in twenty right, like credit where it's due, He built a his campaign, built a coalition to help him win that election, and it set off alarm bells, and rightfully so. Now I was quick to caution people like, let's not call this a trend yet, Let's see if it was a blip. And in the special elections and the Virginia and New Jersey elections last year, we saw it start to move back. But that doesn't mean What that tells me is that the voters who were once rock solid for us are no longer rock solid. They are willing to shop around. They may and they may not like what they're seeing now with Trump and feel let down by him, as they should. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're sold on us again. Might be enough to get us through the next election cycle, but we need to worry. That's true with black voters. I think we are a long way away from black voters shifting permanently into the Republican column. But if they stay home, that ain't good for us. Latinos, Yep, it's very true. But where it is the most interesting and concerning for her young voters. Yes, because the patterns you develop early in your voting life tend to stick with you for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Well, and you work with students were you surprised that so many young people went for Trump in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four I wasn't now, not because I think they are ideologically shifting to the right. I mean, lord, you can say this better than I. Trump isn't on the right right like he's not a conservative, not at all. So it's not an ideological shift. But what they are saying is what we are seeing in so many sectors of society with young voters right now, they're looking for disruption. They feel like this system isn't going to be there for them. And that's true politically, economically, even socially and culturally. They think that the system is rigged. They think the system is broken, and so they're looking for whatever it is that will cause disruption. And Trump was that last time. Now, I think like a lot of America, and this was true in twenty sixteen, with a lot of America who that was also looking for some sort of disruption they saw They they're looking at the way he's acting and saying, oh, wait, maybe that's not the disruption I was looking. That's a little too disruptive. Give us some disruption. We don't want chaos. And so I'm not surprised to see them shifting back in the subsequent elections. But it doesn't surprise me that they They're angry, they're frustrated, they're scared, and they're looking for the person that gets that. And he rhetorically got that in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yep, Kama Harris is teasing she may run again. Is the third time the charm? Do voters need to see her run a third time? Or have they seen enough?
Speaker 2: I this is going to sound flip. I don't mean it to be. She's got a right to run. If she wants to make the case, go out there and make the case. I would if she intends to, if she really is serious about it, I hope she makes a different case than she did last time. I have a hard time seeing it. I have a hard time seeing her getting traction in a Democratic party because I do think Democrats want change, they want a fresh face, and they want someone who is going to be a little bit more disruptive. She ain't that, right. Yeah, And so look here at the end of the day, and you and I may have talked about this before, I think our politics has shifted away from left versus right, and it's been shifting away from left versus right for quite some time that the new paradigm that drives our politics is front versus back. People who feel like they're stuck at the back of the line versus everyone they see in front of them keeping them at the back of the line. That's why you see a rise of populism on the right and why you see a rise of populism on the left. People believe the system is rigged that and they cannot no matter how hard they work, no matter how much they play by the rules, they can't get ahead.
Speaker 1: Whether it's the billionaire keeping them from that or the migrant worker keeping them from the job. Right, it's one thousand. That's such a good framing.
Speaker 2: And whoever gets that does well. And we have seen that. We have seen that pattern. Actually, if we think about it, over the past fifty years, we have seen our country shifting in that direction. We're in a populist era. Yeah, and there's two types of populace, not just left and right. There's there's hopeful, aspirational populace right and there's angry populace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's Reagan and there's Trump.
Speaker 2: There's Reagan and there's Trump, there's Obama or Clinton, and there's Bernie right, and people start in these eras from an angry place. It takes a very special kind of political leader to pull them over into aspiration and hope we'll see. We'll see, but it's going to take The next President of States is going to be President United States is either going to be an angry populist or an aspirational populist. It's not going to be a safe mushy in the middle. And I don't mean that ideologically. Could be I know, right, it could be a moderate, it could be a centrist. But if they're aspirational in getting this front versus back dynamic, they'll do well.
Speaker 1: Such a good point. Okay, let's quickly just talk about Maine. I was making this comparison between the New York City mayoral last year and the main race because it seemed to me, you know, I covered that race every day. It seems to me the party's running a kind of a similar playbook. The party preferred Cuomo, not mum Donnie, so they tried to make mum Donni look scary. Voters didn't care. They liked his ideas. Schumer wouldn't even endorse mum Donni when he became the nominee. Now Schumer recruited Janet Mills to run against Susan Collins. She tried to make Graham plattn Or look scary, but voters like his ideas, they like that he's outside of politics. Now she's out, Collins could win another term. I mean, give me your assessment of what's going on in Maine.
Speaker 2: I think it is in part what we were just talking about, right, it is Platner gets the front versus back, the disruption that it comes down to, who's gonna make me feel heard? Who is going to give voice to my anger and give me a path forward? It's why if you think about it, right, Like in twenty twenty five, Mom, Donnie did very well, but so did Abigail Spandberger and right, they all were laser focused on that lane. They didn't and where they were running, right exactly, They didn't get sucked into cultural battles. They right, they were just laser focused on front versus back. True leadership I think is run it still is operating on an old paradigm of who can appeal to centrist the best? Yeah, how can we not have watched the past? How can we have watched the past decade of our politics and not realized that ain't the question anymore. Right, It's not about mobilizing the base or winning the center. Donald Trump, Donald freaking Trump, was able to do both mobilize his base and pull over enough voters from the center. So that's got to tell us where it's a different time game. Yeah, it's just a different game, and we need to start playing that game.
Speaker 1: It feels like Schumer and the Party are running like a twenty ten twelve race. Yeah. I want to end on sort of a positive note for Democrats. Rumors are swirling that Democrats could take the Senate. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Look, I've stopped making predictions over the past decade, same so so I don't know. I rather be in Democratic Party headquarters today than than a year ago. Looking at the map, right, I do think things have moved in our direction, and I think states, you know, do I think we could win Texas U triple bank shot? Maybe? But Republicans have to spend a lot of money to make sure we don't. And that's money that's not going to North Carolina, which is a state we very much can win. You know, do I think we could win in Montana or now with this new candidate in Kansas. You know again triple bank shot. But suddenly they're in play. They're at least, you know, places that are gonna be competitive. And look, with the President's numbers the way they are and people, you know, gas prices not you know, moving down fast enough, anything could happen. So I I am. I wouldn't say I'm bullish on taking the Senate, but I'm also not completely pessimistic. It's it. We got to see what happens in the next couple of months. I think it's it's it could happen.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, we're going to our exit poll. It's a series of three questions of varying degrees of seriousness that we always end with. So I'm going to start with what is your favorite movie about politics?
Speaker 2: Mamalifah My favorite movie about politics, I'm going to old school. It's The Candidate with Robert Redford. Right like it is having worked on enough campaigns, it is one of the most true to life of what it's like to be on the campaign trail.
Speaker 1: That's what people say. We've had We've heard that answer before, and what people say is having worked in it that is like a documentary one percent. I say the same about broadcast news, which is like the journalist's favorite movie. Like that's our version, it's a documentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Someone you admire across the aisle.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm in Arizona. I grew up, and even though I worked against him a number of times, John McCain is still to me the model of servant leader, even though I disagreed with him and his loss was a huge blow to the country in today's politics. Look, I think there are a number of people out there who are interesting voices, who ideologically I could not be more unaligned with, but I appreciate their spirit of service. I think of Governor Kemp in Georgia as somebody who I don't like his policies, but I think he's in it for the right reasons. I Look, I think Senator Collins is someone who's in it for the right reasons, and even though I don't think she has been effective in ways I would like her to be in pushing back, I think she Senator Murkowski Senator Tillis are people who are at least in it for the right reasons and willing to push back when they feel like they need to, and.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that good. And finally, how do we save our democracy?
Speaker 2: My day job is working with young people who are thinking about this every single day, and you know, the sooner we can turn the keys over to them, I think the better it will be for all of us, because Lord knows, we haven't figured out we keep screwing it up even more. I think the biggest challenge that our democracy faces there are two things, and students are very keenly aware. One hyper polarization, the fact that we won't even talk to each other. We can't even listen to each other, and sometimes algorithms don't let us. That's a real issue. And the second is AI and AI is going to have such a profound impact on democracy. And I don't know that anybody has any clue as to all the different ways it's going to disrupt us what that's going to look like, but we better We better figure it out pretty soon and stop being afraid of it. And I think those are two keys.
Speaker 1: To tackle Love it Moa, Letha, this was such a great conversation. You're so wise. I'm really glad you came on.
Speaker 2: It's so good to talk to you. We got to do it bit more.
Speaker 1: Talk to you and thank you for tuning in. We'll see you next week with more Off the Cup. Off the Cop is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network. If you want more, check out the other Reason Choice podcasts, Politics with Jamel Hill and Native Land Pod. For Off the Cop, I'm your host, Si Cup. Editing and sound designed by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Si Cup and Lauren Hanson. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, Follow and subscribe for new episodes every week.