Speaker 1: All right, Next up, folks, we have number seven of our Oscar Best Picture nominees, Marty Supreme. We have a confession to make about this one that we'll get to in just a moment, but this is a highly nominated movie as well.
Speaker 2: It certainly is nine nominations including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Costume Design, Best Casting, and Best Production Design. So yes, but think about it, Picture, Actor, Director, those are like the top three.
Speaker 3: I guess they're missing actress. But it's highly regarded.
Speaker 1: And of course we know who stars in this one. Of course, Timothy Shalomye was attached to this movie. Huge promotion that he was a part of, huge stunts they did to promote this thing. But the cast is pretty stellar. Uh, you have Gwyneth Paltrow in this movie, Fran Dresher is in this movie, Kevin O'Leary. Kevin O'Leary plays quite prominently in this movie. And Tyler the creator that's amazing in this movie as well. So it's they are actually fun to watch to see all these folks together.
Speaker 4: Agreed.
Speaker 3: I was so surprised to see Kevin O'Leary. I didn't know he acted.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, I just know them from Shark Tank, right, I just didn't even know. But he did a phenomenal job pulling it all off. And look, folks did this is one of the few on the list up for Best Picture that did really well at the box office. This box office they gross two hundred and seventy four million dollars and the synopsis, Look, it's about a guy, Marty Mauser, a young man with a dream no one respects, goes to Helen back in pursuit of greatness.
Speaker 3: The dream no one respects is to be ile world champion in table.
Speaker 4: Tennis as an American as.
Speaker 3: That's a good point as an America and.
Speaker 1: Make it up as popular in the United States as it is in some Asian countries.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Now that explains the movie there, But ahead of time, I don't think I really understood what the movie was about. During their promotional push, it was simply Timothy Shallomey is a ping pong player in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's all I knew, and I loved that. You know what I really loved about watching this movie is just going right back in time to the seventies, and eighties, the music, the set design, the costumes like they really nail that. You really got you time traveled back into that area or that era, and it was cool to see this kid who was supposed to take over his dad's shoe shop basically and go on to greatness and to have this confidence, this moxie about him for something that no one respected.
Speaker 1: And maybe still don't here in the United States at least, but that was the centerpiece of this movie. Rated all, it does have a long run time here, This is a two and a half hour movie, two hours twenty nine minutes.
Speaker 4: What did you make?
Speaker 1: You end up looking at the reviews more than I just look at the number sometimes, But what did you make of and what did you see as far as what issue people took with the movie because the audience didn't like it as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean the reviews I'm reading, they all thought it was great and clever and interesting, unpredictable in terms of where the story went, and they really credit Timothy Shallome and his performance as carrying the entire show.
Speaker 3: This is funny.
Speaker 2: Roger Ebert said, He's the guy who thinks confidence is currency. He just refuses to take no for answers, so he just plays this kid who is a dream who follows it. And I think it's one of those It's almost like watching a Fort Forrest Gump esque where you're doing the impossible when everyone tells you you can't and you just keep doing it. People love cheering on the central careacters in those types of movies. However, Marty Supreme is not as likable.
Speaker 4: I would say, you know, you were setting me.
Speaker 1: I was following, you know, like, Okay, I'm with him or I'm with her, and I'm like, oh, did I not read this movie right? And there you go. You got to the end and you didn't want to root for this guy, yeah, because he was a bit of a He was a swindler, right, he was, And that's fine, that's okay to be and some can be a little more charming. But there was something about him though, you know what that was a meanness to him that and sure that's what his character was supposed to be, but it made it difficult to have somebody you were rooting for.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was described as an American, He's not only is he a ping pong prodigy, but an American businessman, a fast talker who's not content just to dominate.
Speaker 3: His corner of the world. He needs the whole planet.
Speaker 2: And to what you were just saying, this character will do whatever it takes to.
Speaker 3: Vanquish his enemies, and that's what it was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't about winning, it was about destroying the enemies.
Speaker 3: And winning at the same time.
Speaker 2: So I think you were conflicted with the main character, which is an interesting way to tell a story.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's what the character was supposed to be. That's fine, and it was effective, but it made you.
Speaker 4: Not root for him.
Speaker 1: And I think the scene I remember he was very mean to Gwyneth Palshaw yes in a scene, and I think I was done with him after that. So it wasn't just his opponents, it was almost everybody in his orbit was usually treated a certain way.
Speaker 2: You know. It reminded me. This is one of my favorite movies. Broadcast News and what's her name? The fast talker with the Southern accent. She goes up to her boss and he.
Speaker 4: Says, Helen, Helen Hunt'm thinking about Helen Hunt.
Speaker 1: No, Helen Hunt with the raspy voice from she was in the firm.
Speaker 3: Two ages, Holly Hunter, Holly hunter.
Speaker 2: Someone says to her, isn't it exhausting being the smartest person.
Speaker 3: In the room, And she's like, you have no idea. So that's kind of to me what Marty Supreme was like.
Speaker 2: He he's this guy who has to deal with the fact that everyone thinks he's so great like he's it's there was nothing like once. Even if he was successful, he was annoying about it, and he wanted people to think he was better and greater. He didn't think he was getting enough of what he deserved. It was never enough. It was never good enough.
Speaker 1: Now, before we give you our recommendations about whether you should watch it or skip it, let's go full disclosure here. Rope and I have a long history of me refusing I think it's the right word, robes refusing to allow us to rent movies.
Speaker 3: Correct. So it's really really annoying.
Speaker 2: Because we'll go to the movies and get the extra wide reclining seats with delivery to your seat, and pay stupid amounts of money for one seat.
Speaker 4: Right, Sure, it's whole experience.
Speaker 2: But if you buy a movie yeah and say it's nineteen ninety nine, sometimes it's nine ninety nine. Now you have it in your library. It's one time, a one price point, and then you have it forever, okay.
Speaker 1: And my only response to that is, there are we have all these streaming services we are paying for that, we have so many things available to us for free. Why are we paying twenty dollars to rent a movie?
Speaker 4: Rent?
Speaker 2: Well movie, yes, so to buy it is usually twenty four to ninety nine, and that makes you even more angry. Right, So yes, for Marty Supreme, Yes, and we knew we were doing this.
Speaker 3: There were only I think two or three movies we had to buy. The rest of them were available without or rent without. They were all free on our streaming services.
Speaker 2: So Marty Supreme, you kept kicking the cam like, we'll watch it later, maybe it'll be free. It's not going to be free before the Oscars. So we finally decided.
Speaker 3: To rent it, not buy it, because you didn't want to spend the extra five dollars to own it, okay, correct.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing.
Speaker 1: When you rent, you don't get unlimited time to watch said rental. So we started Marty Supreme, and let's be honest, we we we fell asleep on it, and we kind of gave up on a Sabine was with us. She's like, all right, I'm out right.
Speaker 2: She said she was out, she took out, she took off, and then we fell asleep.
Speaker 1: And then we fell Okay, so we got did we try one more time to watch it?
Speaker 2: When I went to go try to watch it one more time, we had just missed the forty eight hour window that the rental agreement allowed.
Speaker 1: So what we're saying, folks here in full disclosure, we did not get to see the end of Marty Supreme because we missed the rental deadline and we weren't willing to spend an extra twenty dollars just a week could watch till last thirty five minutes? Me, you mean you we're not going to So now we gotta spend forty dollars rent So that's oldestlope. We can only give you a limited review. Only take us at our word for three quarters three quarters of the movie, because we saw three quarters of the movie, but what we saw didn't have us running back necessarily to continue watching it again. Not wanting to be mean to movie makers, this wasn't necessarily our thing. But does that mean we'll tell you to skip it? Not necessarily stay here. All right, We continue here with our Mariti Supreme Confessional. We did not get to see the last thirty five minutes or so of this movie because we missed our rental deadline on our streaming service, and Robes refused to let us spend the money to watch a little bit of it. But maybe we'll get around to it. But rose from what you did see, would you tell somebody watch it?
Speaker 4: Skip it?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: I would say that you should.
Speaker 4: You can skip it.
Speaker 2: If you really really are a table tennis fan, or if you're a super duper Timothy Schallomey fan, then then that would be a movie I would say you'll probably enjoy. But if you're not one of those two things, I think you can skip it. I just I thought the movie was kind of annoying. It was okay enough, but it wouldn't be something i'd say, Wow, you really need to see this movie.
Speaker 3: It was so good for X, Y and Z.
Speaker 2: I couldn't give you a reason to watch it other than if you're a Timothy Shalomey fan or you love table tennis.
Speaker 1: You know what. That's what I was looking for as you were talking. I was looking for something even some of the other movies, even if I wasn't crazy about it, I say, you need to watch it to see her performance, his performance, this, or that. It's hard to find something to direct people too in this movie. Even the table tennis and some of those scenes.
Speaker 4: I mean, they were cool, but it did fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Then Fully Qualified didn't feel like as a sports movie.
Speaker 3: It's isn't it being dubbed a so though? Like a sports action thriller? I think is what they called it something like that.
Speaker 4: Did you sense that?
Speaker 3: I really wasn't sure what it was to me?
Speaker 2: That's why it felt more like a Forrest Gump ish with a twist, like a darker Forrest Gump.
Speaker 4: What is the genre? It's you know what.
Speaker 3: I need to look that up.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but this would be hard to tell someone to. Yeah, you need to check this one out. Yeah you need to see this one and direct somebody towards it. I guess the thing you would say is see what everybody's talking about with Timothy chala May's performance. I mean, it is an OSCAR nominated performance, so that's always worth checking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I think if you're a Timothy Shallome fan, you should run to go see this.
Speaker 3: This is under the category of mystery and thriller.
Speaker 2: Slash drama, so they don't call it a sports action film, mister, A mystery and thriller slash drama.
Speaker 3: That's what they're calling.
Speaker 1: Put those three together and make it a new genre. Is it called mystery thriller.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 3: A thrilled?
Speaker 4: Okay? I just thought it was the worth of shot.
Speaker 3: I tried.
Speaker 4: This was movie number seven for us.
Speaker 1: Number eight is going to be a surprising one that actually Robes and I do not agree about the secret agent. Look for that one. It's the next in line on the feed.