Speaker 1: Let's hit the Inside Scoop with FT senior insider Ken Rosenthal. Trade deadline less than ten days away. Ken, we were just talking about the Dodgers potentially losing Tanner Scott for some time. Their bullpen is taking hits. I know you've written about the Dodgers potentially looking for some bullpen help. Do you think that any of those marquee names will truly be available because you can also talk about how Mason Miller was just mentioned in your notes, Colum, and maybe he can get plucked away from the A's.
Speaker 2: Those guys are available in the sense that those teams will talk about them. The Guardians will talk about Emmanuel Classe, the Twins will talk about John Durant and Griffin Jackson. The A's will talk, presumably about Mason Miller. The question is the price and what teams are willing to pay. Now, all of those pictures I just mentioned are under club control. Class A is under club control for a number of years at a very affordable price. When I say club control beyond this season, so the price will understandably be higher than they would be for rentals. And there are some rentals available, and I didn't mention David Bednar and Dennis Santana. There are two others. So the supply of relievers at least is better than the supply at any other spot on the fields, much better than the supply of starting pitchers, good hitters all of that. So, yes, the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Will be able to get a reliever.
Speaker 2: But if you remember, they built this team trying to avoid overpaying at the deadline, specifically avoid overpaying for relievers. That's why they signed Tanner Scott and Kirby Yates and Blake Tringing for more than one hundred million combined. Now, Evan Phillips is out for the season trying and still is not back. Brisdar Graderol is out and Tanner Scott might be joining them.
Speaker 3: Big bus to the Dodgers can. But you mentioned Masonmiliar in the athletics. Are they open for business? Are they open for Sevarino seers some of their starters, Because I feel like if they could get those guys out there, they might be able to get a pretty big because there's not a ton of quality starters and these guys have shown at times they could be pretty good.
Speaker 2: They're totally open for business on Severarinos Sears and Springs. Now, they're not gonna give them away obviously, and each pitcher is a little bit different. Sears is a guy who hasn't had great results this year and even last year, but takes the ball he is every fifth day. That guy is there. Springs is someone who has pitched much better of late, though his last start wasn't quite as good and several. Reno, of course is the guy who at Sutter Health Park is one pitcher and on the road is another. A lot of money still coming to him. So these guys are all different. But can they be discussed in trades? Will they be discussed or the A's drawing interest in them? Yes, yes and yes, so we'll see what happens there. And keep in mind too, with all these situations the A's the Diamondbacks too, when you talk about Gallen and Kelly, these teams do need to get through the season. They can't trade everybody, but I would expect to answer your question, AJ, they'll be open on those guys and willing to move.
Speaker 4: Hey, Ken, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Hey keV? How you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 4: Question for you, what are the Braves gonna do?
Speaker 3: Not much.
Speaker 2: And the reason they're not going to do much is they're really open only to trading their players on expiring contracts. Ray sol Iglesias would be one. Marcel Azuna is another, but I can't imagine the demand for him is terribly high, and he does have ten and five rights, so he can veto any trade kind of control the process. When you talk about controllable players, and I see Sean Murphy's name get mentioned a lot. Sean Murphy is really good, and there are teams that need catchers, yes, but if the Braves are going to trade him, and remember this is a team that under alex Anthopolis has always had two strong catchers. They do that all the time. That's what they that's how they operate. So they're not going to be in any rush to trade Sean Murphy just because Baldwin has emerged. And at the same time, if they do anything like that, if they even entertain the idea, it almost certainly would be in the off season when you can open the discussions to more teams or teams are ready to do some things in the offseason than they are at the deadline. You have teams that are nine contenders now that could be in play during the offseason. You also have teams that might be more flexible with their rosters in the off season. So a Sean Murphy discussion, if it's ever going to take place, and I'm not even sure that it will, that would take place in the winter.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's go a ken to a team used to make baseball come alive. When you cover them, the Orioles, what are they gonna do? Because they're fascinating to me. They're not getting back in the race like everyone thought they were, but they have some pieces that are tradable. But the thing I want to know is, ID think Rutchmen possibly out there because they took what Ike Irish and Caden bo Dying their first two picks in the draft a couple weeks ago. Where do they stand with that? Is that the guys who are going to to come up at some point long and they also have the Basalo Samuel Bassolo catcher prospect right there, So is possibly you mentioned Sean Murphy, could Adley Rutchman at some point possibly be on a move.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, he's on the injured list right now, so I would say no, he has an oblique He's still recovering from that. I don't expect that he's going to be traded anytime soon. But what I wrote about my notes column is the idea that long term, he might not be the piece that we all thought he would be. The fixture the ten year oriole his deal is up after twenty seven, or not his deal his arbitration expires after twenty seven, so he has only two more years of control left. And as you mentioned, they've got Basalo coming. They drafted those two guys. Only Bodin is really a catcher. Ike Irish is someone who's going to bounce around, maybe play the outfield. They don't see him as a pure catcher. But yes, Adli Rutchman since last year's All Star break has not been a very good offensive player. Ran into some bad luck this year. Okay, we all understand that, but he has not proven to be the guy that we all thought perhaps he was going to be. Not saying he can't be that guy at some point, But then you wonder, okay, under the current circumstances, would the Orioles sign him to an extension. There's been a lot of talk about that over the years. Oh gotta get Adleie done.
Speaker 3: Got to get him signed.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's not going to be that much of a cornerstone player for you, maybe you look and say no, and maybe in the offseason you look to trade him. Then. I haven't heard that. I don't necessarily expect that, but they do have other options in their system. There's no question about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, where do you where do you see the Angels at? I know they have some interesting pieces to Tyler Anderson a Taylor Ward, but they're also right in the thick of this wildcard race. What do you expect them to do?
Speaker 2: Kevin, That's a really interesting team, and they're interesting because their owner Ardi Moreno is unpredictable. It would seem to me that if they're anywhere close that they're going to either buy or just kind of do some things around the edges. I don't see them selling if he thinks the owner that they have a chance. And yet at the same time, they've got the Mets now and the Mariners coming. If they have a bad week and fall out of this thing, they could be a really interesting seller. Taylor Ward, of course, would be one piece. He's under control for one more year. Could they listen on Kakuchi in a market and market star for starting pitching. Could they trade Kenley Janson, even listen on Joe Adell who's having a breakout kind of year. They could do all of these things. I don't expect that they will because I don't know that Artie Moreno wants to preside over a rebuilding situation. But the key question with the Angels is always what is already thinking? And the answer right now is we don't know?
Speaker 1: Krats what do I do? Bind? And I need to make some food at home. I would like it to be home cooked, but I don't want to deal with any of the grocery crap.
Speaker 5: Hello Fresh get it done and they'll start to know when you're in a bind, and they'll figure it out for you, sending something new whenever you order it.
Speaker 1: It's freaking awesome, Yeah it is. And there are dozens of menu items to choose from each week. They can also help you out if you need a little assistance. They can kind of cater to what your needs are or what your preferences are. The do a little Q and a session for you and then you can be the star at home. Kratz is a superstart ad at home for his Hello Fresh expertise and if you want to get involved, then you can make sure that your summer's more enjoyable and delicious. At HelloFresh dot com slash f T ten FM, get ten free meals with a free item for life. When you do that. HelloFresh dot Com slash ft ten FM one per box with an active subscription. Free meals are applied as a discount on the first box new subscribers only. Varies by plan. All right, so I've we had a seller question on a team that is definitely not in it this year. The Washington Nationals can. But I wanted to get more context on what you wrote in your notes column. This could be the trade deadline where you could get a ton for someone who doesn't have a lot of years of control left. And to me, I'm bringing up Mackenzie Gore because the starting pitching market doesn't look loaded. He looks like he's someone who can help a playoff team. And what are the Nets doing? I mean they're trying to sell in my mind, and with that, they're trying to keep their payroll down. So if you're trying to do that, you're not trying to win right now, And Mackenzie Gore is going to expire before they're good again, So why wouldn't they make a move like this Scott.
Speaker 2: If you remember, in twenty twenty two, Wan Soto had as much club control remaining two plus years as Mackenzie Gore does right now. The difference is Mike Rizzo no longer is the president of Baseball Operations. They have an interim GM Mike de Bartolo. They're going through, obviously some change. They also have traded away players in recent years and lost them in free agency, big time stars in their own division, Bryce Harper, Trey Turner, Juan Soto, Kyle Schwarber, and of course Max Scherzer was traded with Turner. I'm not sure they have an appetite for doing this again. With Mackenzie Gore, who is part of this rebuild, a huge part of it, one of the central figures in the Sodo trade, and with all this change, all this uncertainty in the organization, I'm not sure they see this as the right time. But that said, given that the market, as I mentioned, is starved for starting pitching, quality starting pitching, given so few aces are available, teams are going to call. And will some team say to the Nationals. Listen, we're gonna give you X Y and Z and it's going to be really good. Won't be the Soto deal, but it might be something really good for now.
Speaker 3: Do they do it?
Speaker 2: In my opinion, they probably should. Mackenzie Gore, represented by Scott Morris, probably not a strong candidate to sign an extension. So I don't know where this is going with the Nats. But it's similar to Mason Miller, and it's similar to some other guys who are under club control for multiple years. How hard will teams push and will those teams tempt the teams that have those players?
Speaker 3: Those players X Y and Z are always good. Ken always remember that they're always great. So no matter what, X Y and Z are the best players in the league because no one knows who they really are, so they can fly under the radar now right. You and I did the Cubs Red Sox game this weekend, and you were in there with me when Craig Counsel said the Brewers have really good starting pitching. I'm not surprised they're here. But are you surprised they're here? Because I mean, honestly, I didn't know think they'd have the best record in baseball in almost the end of July. What are they gonna do? We know the left side of the infield, but who's out there they could possibly get because their pitching is unbelievable and they're making a run of the like said, a lot of people are surprised.
Speaker 2: By First of all, a JA, how can you not be surprised? They trade Corbyn Burns two years ago, then they trade Evan Williams last offseason, lose Willia Domas to free agency. They don't do much in the offseason at all. In fact, they did hardly anything until the very end when they had some pitching injuries, signed Kintana, traded for Priester. What do they do now? It's going to be really interesting. You're right, the left side of the infield should be an area of focus. I don't see why they can't be a team for Aohano Suarez. They are the team, one of the few teams that actually has pitching to trade. Now. I don't know that you trade young pitching for a rental, but maybe you expand the deal. The key question here, too is the owner and how badly he wants to push Mark Attanasio we've seen has not spent money but been very successful. And if you're Mark Atanasio, you're probably thinking we're doing okay. But after sweeping the Dodgers, and he lives in La at Tenasio does I wonder if he is getting a little bit more excited and if he sees an opportunity here, not for them to do something nuts, but just to add payroll to reinforce what they have. They also need bullpen help. They have a really good bullpen, but all teams at this time of year are wondering if their guys are gonna be on fumes and just in general want to reinforce that part of the team. So I expect them to be active. They should be active.
Speaker 3: Will they be?
Speaker 2: That remains to be seen.
Speaker 3: All right, Ken, we have Kevin palar on here. It's his first time on our show. So I want people out there to understand what thing. Ken and I like each other? All right, So everyone out there that thinks Ken and I really don't like each other, we actually really do like each other. And there's no I'm never more excited than when I see Ken on my schedule, like get because we get to talk baseball for a long time. The car rides and after the thing and everything. But I got to experience some with Ken on Saturday night that he had never done before. Okay, I got Ken to go to the club. Okay, to the club now granted him and Adam, I mean were having a height off on Adam's DJ Bouts set. But I got Ken to go to the club with me and watch Adam, Me and DJ. Did you like it? Ken? Because you left a little bit earlier than we did, and it got going pretty good, and Adam did his whole set? But did you like it? Ken? And people were justpported you didn't wear your boat tie.
Speaker 2: I had taken my bow tie off by that time. I definitely liked watching Adam in action. It's amazing to me that Adam Amin, who is the Chicago Bulls regular television announcer, a guy who does Fox football and baseball, a very prominent broadcaster within I don't know, a half hour of that game ending Saturday was across the street in Wrigleyville, DJing and it was going. It was going pretty good. Now, did I like it? Aj?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I liked it. I mostly liked it because I was really intrigued to see Adam and see him in action. But I'm a little bit older than you. I'm a lot older than most of those people who are in the club. I can definitely enjoy seeing everybody so happy and having fun.
Speaker 3: Is it my scene?
Speaker 2: Will I be back next week? Will I be back every night? Probably not? And by the way, on that photo, show that photo again.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 2: My wife when she saw that photo, her comment was, it looks like AJ. He's taking the kids out.
Speaker 3: Then before asking me if I was standing on a box, I'm like, no, I was not standing on a box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I texted AJ. AJ looked like Shack. AJ is gall and AJ is thick. He's got a thick build, So I was like, dude, you look like Shack up on the stage and Shacks and DJ.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Adam is.
Speaker 2: Like my size, which is amazing because there's nobody my size, nobody that's small. But Adam is kind of that.
Speaker 3: I think he left a little early kid, but he Adam at one point grabbed a microphone. He was already gone and was like, not only was he doing his thing, but then he was talking while he was doing it. That was when the crowd really it's like I'm bleeping out him with me let's bleep and go. We almost got Ken. We almost got Ken to do the frat flick. I was trying to get him to do the frat flick in the corner, you know, with the beef, but he got his arm up there with the just oh no.
Speaker 2: AJ had a lot of fun that.
Speaker 3: Night, I can tell. I can tell.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe next time bring the club outfit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe next time. I mean, Kevin, it was like a half hour after the game. It wasn't well. Actually AJ changed. But these guys play by play and analysts. They have clothes in the booth. They have all kinds of action going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ken's running around on the field. He's a grinder. Ken, thank you, and it made my day to see.
Speaker 4: That picture the other day.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad you pulled that off.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you later this week. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: That's Ken Rosenthal at Senior Insider, who does attend clubs once a lifetime and then also attends Fair Territory twice a week, so you can count on him on Thursday Live with a Lona Rizzo taking more your questions. I saw something we didn't get to, so ask away on Thursday, let's say spreading rumors. Let's start with Dee Gordon, who was on a podcast the other day called The Raw Room, and he essentially said that the league told him to let Bryce Harper win the Triple Crown in twenty fifteen, and that because d won the batting title that year, MLB brass strung him up under the guise of testing positive for steroids and gave him a bogus suspension.
Speaker 4: I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Read that one parbade him because that's a lot. So there it is, the quote Dee Gordon and why I got suspended in twenty sixteen. MLB told me not to win the batting title. And there is sound too. If you look it up online you can see all of this. It's not like a fake account. Heyj Then Kevin, you guys are I want to know first?
Speaker 4: I mean, here's why I get myself in trouble. So I want I want you to go first.
Speaker 3: Listen as someone that lives their life in trouble, KP. You get used to it after a while. Trust me, it's not that big of a deal. Okay, But here's my thing. This was ten years ago almost like what and now we're just hearing about this, Like is this real? Who answers? Who called him Rob? Manfred? Did Rob? Did he pick up his cell phone say hello Rob? Oh? Rob? You don't want me to win the batting title? So Bryce Harper did Brice Harper? Was he close? I don't even know to winning the triple Crown in twenty fifteen? Was he? I don't know. I always liked the Gordon. I've known de Gordon for a long time. I always thought he's a pretty good guy. I mean, did steroids got popped? But they say that MLB fake popped him because they told him not to win the bat Like this is one of those things that did we land on the moon? Did we do this? I mean? Who shot JFK? Did de Gordon get suspended because he won the batting title? I've never heard anything like this, But I don't know prove it? How do we prove this? We can't we can pull cell phone records up. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I would say to your point, you know a lot of things we don't know the entire story about. We call conspiracy. What does he have to gain from this? Like you said, it's been ten years since this happened for him to kind of and I know D two. I know D. I've talked to him as recent as a couple of months ago. You know, lives in Florida, does his thing. He has his uh you know, he has his crops, he grows. You know, what does he have to gain from this? And if the story is true, I want to hear the entirety of the truth. I mean, who made the phone call? You know, what was the conversation? Like, I mean, if you're gonna spill some of it, spill, spill the entire bag.
Speaker 3: Kap. This is like no, this is like when you watch those shows on TV where there's like a random person in a room and their and their cell phone rings. It's no, you know, block collar and you're a killo and they're like, do not win the batting title or we will get you for still who is this? Don't worry about it. Just know your family and your career is in jeopardy. What wait, no, wait, let Bress hyper win the batting title by and you're like, wait, what just happened? The voices all these guys right, it's like a TV show, like who the heck who called him? I want to know now? I want to know and who called I need more detail.
Speaker 4: I need more detail. I'm going to share half the story or a small portion of the story. At this point, you know, he's not he's not trying to be employed by MLB. He's not trying out for a job. I mean, let's just let's just put it all out there and then we can all make a better determination if we think it actually happened, if it didn't happen. You know, I kind of stay a little bit out of the loop since I retired. I'm not trying to stay off my phone as much as I used to. But I did happen to see this, and I was like, this is kind of bizarre. DEEG Gordon, you know, kind of once he retired, you know, he get his own thing. You don't hear from him a lot, see him a lot for him to go on this podcast, and you know, just leave a little bit at bread crumbs. You know, maybe there's a financial incentive for him to, you know, come on a podcast, tell it all, write a book. I don't know, but I want to know. And if there is, I'm subscribing to hear the rest of the.
Speaker 1: Story, no doubt. I would love to get him on a should send texts.
Speaker 3: I've never won a batting title. It's because MLB called and threatened my family. If I did, that was that was why.
Speaker 1: That was why I knew it.
Speaker 4: I knew it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that I just didn't do it. I wasn't good enough. It was just, you know, I don't know. I mean, come on, I didn't win the whole run title ever because I don't know, they threatened my kids. Come on, like, I don't know, I just don't know it. It's just it just seems like sometimes things seem so bizarre that they're really true. So I don't know, but like, gosh, that's what KP said, Like I now, I want now, I want to get a hold of d and like try to actually get the rest of the story because I'm intrigued by this because when he said it and I watched it, I was like, is he joking? Is he being sarcastic? But then he like dug in a little bit, So I don't know. We're gonna have to make some calls and see what can get on. Come on here and try to finish the story off for us.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, I would love to chat with him more about this. He has definitely been pretty remote since he stepped down from his playing days. But that is a wild, wild story to tell.
Speaker 3: Have you guys buy that? Also, I want to say this, and we talked about this before the show. The argument with Dee Gordon steroids is always like, he doesn't look like he did steroids, right, But that doesn't matter. It wasn't about like getting bulky. I mean, yes, now there were times where certain guys wanted to get huge and bulky and strong, but Bartolo Coloone got pop for steroids. He didn't look like he was on steroids either, right. I mean people would look at him to even on steroids, but that helped them throw one hundred miles an hour his whole career. So you just never know. There's different types of steroids. Some are for recovery, some are for this or for that. So I'm not saying Dee Gordon did steroids or didn't steroids. I know he tested positive for steroids. That's pretty good indication you did them. But I'm just saying like, just because that's always the excuse me, he doesn't even I think he says it enough like I don't look like I did steroids, but that's that doesn't matter. I played with guys I know did steroids. Any look like they did steroids, but they did them. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the other part too, is you and I both know who's You know, we've taken many, many, many drug tests in our life, you know, being a professional baseball player, you know, you pee in the cup, they put sample a sample b you know, you sign off everything. You know there's a seal on it. Who really knows what happens once they're shipped off. I mean, I'd like to think that there's a lot of integrity and the people that are doing the drug test, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that if this story is true, that they could contaminate his drug test, his urine sample. I mean, you know, once it's once you do it and you put it in that box and you sign your paperwork or sign that iPad, it's kind of out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 3: And by the way, let me just say this also, you mentioned that about all that. But if this was me, okay, and I know that I had never done anything, I would have been talking about this when it happened. I would have been suing people. I mean, I would have come out of the woodwork after this, right, So to come out ten years later, that's why this is so interesting, weird timing, whatever you want to say, But I know this, KP. If I was a player and I was told I did staroids and I knew that I hadn't done anything, then I mean, I'm going on the offensive. I'm hiring lawyers, I'm suing the testing company, I'm suing MB. I mean, I'm doing whatever I can to keep my reputation that I didn't do Stuarts. If I knew deep down, not ten years later coming out, I'm saying, oh man, they got me because I won the batting title. Yeah.
Speaker 4: To that point, I do have a former teammate, a friend of mine that did test positive around that same time, and he's still fighting it till this day. I mean, that's how important he is. You know, he fought it, you know when it happened, and I think it was twenty sixteen, and he's still continuing to fight it today because you know, his reputation as a player, his name was destroyed by that positive test. And I know the kind of the behind the scenes details of what's going on. And to your point, if if you knew deep down inside at your core that I did everything right and I didn't you know, take any steroids, you would be fighting it and it would be public knowledge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the guy you're talking about has talked about it publicly, not anytime recently, but I think I can say the name because I mean, yeah, I remember when all of that went down, Chris Colobello.
Speaker 3: Right, mm hmm, absolutely, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Remember all that, and he's still pushing that. I think at some point, because there's stuff going on behind the scenes, we'll be able to talk to him more publicly about what's going on with that story. So let's finish with this. Have you ever heard anything close to this wild story wise? Obviously you don't have to name names if that's going to help, but whether it's on this topic or anything else like conspiracy theories in baseball, I mean your sure off the field, KP. Is there anything ever that guys throw around where they're like, oh, I'll never get out, but this is crazy. And again, it doesn't have to be names that that's going to help to conceal. But this one really stood out when we all saw were like WHOA.
Speaker 4: I mean like like I said, I think, you know, a lot of these things are considered conspiracy until they are actually proven. And yeah, I mean what came to mind is because they did the documentary on it, but you know, the NBA reps kind of betting on the game. That's something probably players talked about in the locker room, like, man, this ref is terrible. I wonder if he has money on the game. You're like, no way, that's a conspiracy. There's no way they'd ever do it. And then many years later it comes out that they were betting on games and you know, shaving points and you know, giving free throw advantages to certain teams. So, I mean, that's the closest thing I could think of right now.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true. That's Tim donaghy, all right. So we'll try to get the strange cordon on Incent she's been sent. That's the best that we can do. We send out texts, we see if they'll come on to talk it out and tell their side of the story. I know he did already, but to get deeper into the detail because there are a lot of people right now, some that believe him, some that don't. The ones that don't, I'd say a good portion of them have more questions and if it is really true, you want to say it with your chest, then just give more details on it.
Speaker 3: He's a nice guy.
Speaker 1: I've interviewed him many times during his playing days, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: He was one of my son's favorite that he met my son. He was awesome to my son. He's from the Orlando area, so my son. When my son was on the field, he was always one of his favorites. On this happen, my son's like, Dad, what what you know? My son was like nine years old. He's like dad, what, no way? He was like, I don't know, Austin.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, well maybe to be continued.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: Super nice guy, always very available, quiet and shy when he was playing, but more outspoken down
Speaker 3: So we'll see