Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Mike Armstrong Marks twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kil martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Comedy Off Byway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 1: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Thursday, marks the twenty seventh. Just what twenty nine, thirty one hours away from our pregame show, getting you ready for Cats and Balls in Indianapolis in a massive Sweet sixteen matchup.
Speaker 4: You are here at Chaos Bar and Grill.
Speaker 3: You can give Shannon Clark's Puppy Shop full line say five nine two eight oh twenty two eight uh Evans an Auto glass text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. In this Distion sponsored by the T J. Smith Low He's called tjil make them pay. This is a hugely busy day, all right. It's the NCAA tournament starts the Sweet sixteen round today. Duke plays Arkansas plays other team Alabama. Uh, you got the Sweet sixteen for high school right down the road. Davis County already has a ton of red in here. Is that where you are from?
Speaker 5: Calloway County?
Speaker 3: That's Callaway County who played last night. Unfortunately lost, but it was it gave a good effort. And then it's opening day for the Reds. I'm wearing Reds gear, my new Reds hoodie. What do you think of it?
Speaker 5: We thought you were Eli Dela Cruz when you walked in. Looked just like looked just like you.
Speaker 3: Have the same speed uh uh bat power uh. And I'm leaving right after this game to get up here to Cincinnati for Opening Day. Sold my tickets, so I'm actually sitting I'm sitting like out amongst amongst them in the outfit. Would you like to know what I sold my tickets for? This is what this is the thing. I'm not gonna tell you what I spend for the year. It's too much, but I still do it. But I get a big chunk of it, or at least, you know, a nice chunk of it back.
Speaker 4: Guess what those seats you've said in them? Guess what I sold them for for op.
Speaker 5: Man, I know how big Opening Day is up in Cincinnati, so I'm gonna say, you sold them for nine hundred piece.
Speaker 3: Any think I already know the answer unfortunately, So yeah, I sold them for six hundred and fifty dollars a piece.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 4: That's thirteen hundred dollars for one game.
Speaker 2: It's got to put a big dent in your in your season is It certainly helps.
Speaker 3: And then you know when the Yankees, you combine selling Opening Day with whenever the Red Sox and Yankees come, and then if at the end of the year the Cubs the Cardinals are in contention, you get you can get you can get a nice little chunk of it back, and then I just go watch them play the Diamondbacks like fifty times and then I'm good.
Speaker 5: Well, it should be an awesome day. The weather's supposed to be perfect for Opening Day up there, so I know it's.
Speaker 3: A field for people who haven't been it's an absolute circus. If you've never been open, you should go. I mean you don't even have to go to the game. It's kind of like Secville. It's just but it is a circus. You have a parade through town, and I mean they really do it up. It's hard to explain, Like think about Nashville, but you have like a fourth of the space, you know, I mean there's not even that much space, and it's just people everywhere and they're just sweat. So I'm making it sound miserable. It's it is actually fun and hopefully they'll win. I get to see Hunter Green pitch in Eli and today the Giants, Okay, I don't and I don't know who's on the Giants, Barry Bonds, Will Clark, I think, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know who.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do like the the optimism every year in the Red You know you have a losing record, yet you're you're in contention today.
Speaker 3: Well, Summer Valley, right, we've got Matt McLean's back. Yes, little Spencer Steer, Uh, you got Christian and Carson. You own strand. They brought a couple new guys in. Somebody named Lux, Somebody named singer. So uh, I think with that, how could you lose?
Speaker 5: We look forward to hear all your belly aching in the next month or so.
Speaker 4: I'll be done with him to it. If they lose, I'm out. I have a memory of a story.
Speaker 2: It is an opening day where you like ran over an old lady or an old lady ran over you walking.
Speaker 4: Something happened there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, tripped up. Yeah, there was an old lady. She kind of ran over me, which I thought was rude of her. Got her feet tangled. But it's okay. You know, I just have to What I have to do on today is it's the most crowded day of the year in there. I just have to accept this is not gonna go the way I want it to. So I just have to. You know, there's amongst them, there's people everywhere, and you just go from there.
Speaker 2: In a four o'clock game, you could stay to the end and still get home in plenty of time.
Speaker 4: Or will this be one stay at the end? Yeah?
Speaker 3: This is just more of a social gather. Okay, Hubby's coming. We'll be with Tall. Usually a Turkey under goes. He's not there this year. But it's more of a social gathering. Then it is a baseball game. Oh one year, Remember that guy almost got a fight. The guy started screaming at me. Remember he started yelling. That's what happens when you.
Speaker 4: Get out in the outfields.
Speaker 5: People start screaming when you get out amongst them.
Speaker 3: When you get out amongst them, make sure it's all has a snoopy shirt. Run whose phone is ringing? One of you has your phone ring?
Speaker 5: I think that's the restaurant phone.
Speaker 3: Oh, the restaurant phone. Okay, well you could come out to chs Bar.
Speaker 4: We're here.
Speaker 3: We had a great crowd here yesterday from Adair County. I can already tell Davis County's gonna have a good showing. We got Moco in the house for the first time. And what since twenty thirteen, since twenty thirteen, so should be good line upsets. Yesterday, Sweet sixteen preseason favorite, after we stole their internet shinnon sint.
Speaker 4: X gets knocked out. That's a huge They hadn't lost all year in the state of Kentucky.
Speaker 5: I think that really threw them off when we stole their internet cable. It just threw the whole team, radio crew off, the coaches off, the team off, But I only thought they would beat Jefersontown. I thought they'd win, like by twenty.
Speaker 4: Was a huge upset. The old Man line was nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Wow, and uh and Jaytown wins, So now you know, great Crossing is probably the favorite. But if they were to lose, the thing might be like totally up for grabs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all picked Saint X. That's pretty shocking. But what's up? Jay Town has a player that played for Huntington Prep this year and transferred a month ago. Can you switch teams midyear in high school?
Speaker 4: We don't. We don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it looks great and good for them, It's unfortunate for the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 4: Then the two biggest fan base.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know A Dare County brought a million people lost, Sat next had a ton of people lost, and uh, you know you guys, I think uh at Callaway County had a ton of people lost. So they've lost some of their big fan bases. But no private schools. All private schools are out. This is the this is fourteen are excuse me? Twelve public schools remain. That's never happened. There's it has been like twenty five years since they've gotten to the quarterfinals with no private schools.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Danvil Christian also lost all the two private schools that made it. Those kids now can go play soccers soccer if.
Speaker 4: They want to.
Speaker 5: But uh, you know, the public schools are making resurgence. Last year we had Harlan County, Lion County in the finals. Now it's all public school tournament, and I think a lot of people that's still kind of a big deal to them.
Speaker 2: Say next was the big story from yesterday. But that first game that we got to see was awesome and Dare Bowling Green.
Speaker 3: I watched all that at Dare Bowing Green game. That was a really really exciting game, ribbling.
Speaker 2: It out with like forty seconds and they waited to call it time.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they were doing.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they were doing at the end of regulation. That coach was for people who didn't see. They got the ball, it was tied with forty seconds left and he just held it and then call time out with three seconds.
Speaker 2: It feels like you should have given him so still had a good look and a good chance at the tip. In Bowling greended up winning Your Boy Duce Bailey with the game.
Speaker 5: He Bailey hit the game winner. Yeah, best athlete in the state right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, according to you.
Speaker 3: All right, So Kentucky, excuse me, Kentucky and Tennessee Sweet sixteen starts, Uh tonight, you got We'll do some picks later on and then Kentucky and Tennessee tomorrow night, seven thirty nine on TBA. I'm starting to think there's gonna be an overwhelming amount of blue. I mean I went ahead and got my parents their tickets last night. I just, you know, felt like it was time because the ticket prices are only going up, are they Yeah, I mean sometimes they bounce back down before they so far. No, they did release some more tickets. So if you, I would actually say, right now, if you're okay sitting in the rafters, if you go to the official ticket Master resale site, they released some more tickets yesterday, and so those tickets are like one hundred and fifty dollars. Now you're gonna need a like a mountain climbing suit to get up there.
Speaker 4: If you just want to go.
Speaker 3: Those tickets got released yesterday and I looked this morning they're still there. So there are there are some tickets up in the nosebleeds, go right now and get them. I bet they'll be gone soon. But the rest of it's going to be expensive. But I think, Drew, we're gonna have a huge fania.
Speaker 4: I think so too.
Speaker 2: I think of everyone I know is making the trip, and with the new tickets released, just you might not have the best vantage point, but just being in the building will go away long way for a lot of people. I know people that are just gonna drive up and not go to the game. So I think if you just want to get in the door, it's gotten too a place where you can afford a little bit.
Speaker 4: The energy for people.
Speaker 3: Again, you know, obviously we could lose, they're the favorites, but the energy for an NCAA tournament game, you know, even when I leave, there's something.
Speaker 4: To be said, Brian, for that energy right before the game starts.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know that those ten minutes before, like, it gets you, It gets you energized, and then when they win, it's just the best. I mean, when they win, I you know, it's it's tough when you're the first game because then the second game comes on and they make you get off the court, and so you don't get to celebrate quite as much.
Speaker 4: They had to.
Speaker 3: Really, they had to kick Mark Pope off the court from the game in round two. But it is there is something amazing about being in there, and then you throw in playing ten to see it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 5: That ten minutes leading up the tip off is really some of the best times of the of the night. Totally agree with you, know, especially since Tennessee they're gonna have a ton of fans there. Also, there'll be a lot of booing. Will boo them, they'll boo us, So it'll be it'll be pretty exciting, and I hope you can force yourself to stay there a little while to enjoy it.
Speaker 4: So how do you feel? I can't. I can go ahead and tell you that, how do you feel about the game? Like, how are you are? Are you feeling good vibes about about winning?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I'm feeling very good, which kind of scares me in itself. I add more nerves about Illinois right now than I do about the time.
Speaker 3: Sir, you got to turn this way. I can't look at your Yeah, I can't look at your back the whole show. Okay, this is a you're cee you got you there you go. I can't look I see your shirt, but I can't look at your back.
Speaker 4: That's that. That's that's okay, now go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually thought i'd be a little more nervous, you know, being Tennessee should be, even though I think Kentucky has just as good a chance that Tennessee does to win this game. The the thought of losing to them should scare me more than it is right now. But I'm oddly very confident. I know people getting mad when I get too confident, because they're very confident. You've been very confident since like the matchup the Rick Barnes powered versus high powered offense like a bam urged or Kentucky just hadn't worked out well for him.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: They shot terribly in their first two games this season that Kentucky won. If they do that again, I think Kentucky really has a good chance. But just overall, they struggle to keep up with teams that can score a lot of points.
Speaker 3: I saw some dorky dude on TikTok, but a smart one. He was breaking down Kentucky's offense against Tennessee, and he basically broke down both games and said both games they got whatever shot they wanted and essentially argued we could have beaten them by more in the game in Lexington, we just missed a lot of open shots. But he showed possession after possession, and he's like, Kentucky gets whatever they want. Because the way Kentucky plays offense, Tennessee just cannot defend it. That high pick, they just cannot defend it. They're a step slow. Maybe they're not used to working on it. And he said, unless something's changed, Kentucky's just gonna do it again. They did it in Knoxville, Tennessee came to Lexington, they did it again and just got open shot after open shot after open shots.
Speaker 4: So I felt better after watching that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially that game down in Knoxville, Jackson, Robinson and Kobe Braya were just getting shots all other players and they hit him.
Speaker 4: But his point was against Lexington, we got the same shots. We just didn't make it.
Speaker 5: Didn't make them, so they got it. They got to hit the shots. I'm a little scared that Ziggler or Lanier, one of the two guys will get hot because they've been so shot so poorly against It's the first two first two games. One of those two guys I haven't just that's what scares me.
Speaker 3: But remember at Knoxville. Yes, those two guys shot poorly, but Gainey played great. And then the Egor or what is that his name? I always call you that.
Speaker 4: Igor guys had two great games against head.
Speaker 3: I mean, so you gotta think if people want to say Lanier and and Ziegor will play well, you gotta think those guys maybe take a step back.
Speaker 4: They've played great against us. Well.
Speaker 2: Ziegler usually plays pretty poorly. Been in rupp Arena. He had seventeen and went seventeen seven of ten from the field, and they still lost by eleven. So even when he has a big game, Kentucky's just able to put up a lot more points. They had like sixty four that game, still getting a lot from Ziegler and militip oll Y.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about what happens if we win, okay, because you know you like to dream. If we beat Tennessee in the Sweet sixteen in Mark Pope's first year to go to the Elite eight in Indianapolis, that has to rank as one of the great non final four wins in UK history.
Speaker 4: Don't you think?
Speaker 5: I think it does, and it's this guy in this team that came in just so underrated, undervalued, and if they are able to get to the Elite eight after you beat Tennessee for the third a Tennessee team that was number we forget they were number one in the country for a short time. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: I tend to think the twenty if you if you were to go in my lifetime non final four wins, you know in ninety three when we just blenched those teams Wake Forest and Florida State, then I think twenty fourteen beating beating Louisville in twenty fourteen might be number one for me. With in Louisville, excuse me, in Indianapolis beating Louisville, I think this one will get up there. If you were to beat Tennessee in a game like.
Speaker 2: This, oh absolutely, it'd be very high on my list. And the season as a whole will be one of my favorites. Because you're telling me Mark Popena his first year, beat Duke in the Champions Classics, something we haven't done in a long time. Louisville a very good Florida team and beat Tennessee three times, one of them in the Sweet sixteen, because that's that's up there with one of my favorite seasons ever. If he's able to pull it off, and even if they don't make it to the final four.
Speaker 4: Totally agree with you. Eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 3: We are at the Chaos Bar and grill I got my guy to flip around so I didn't have to look at his back. He was hosting his own talk show at the bar. But we're gonna take a break and we're gonna be here. Good Sweet sixteen crowd.
Speaker 4: Ready to go. This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome Mack.
Speaker 3: It is Kentucky Sports Radio here at Chaos mar grill An Opening Day eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 4: Text Machine seven seven two seven to seven four five two five four.
Speaker 3: We will have all the Sweet sixteen games here on the h on the big screen today. We'll also have the Reds on That game is at four o'clock. One person writes, man, I don't think you're a real Reds fan. It always annoys me when you talk about it because it's clear you're a casual and some of us have done it for life.
Speaker 4: Well that's fine, but I do give.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like I pay for a fourth of Lie De la Cruz's salary. And then but also I don't claim to be an expert, but I can tell you their rotation Hunter Green, Nick Ladolo, Nick Martinez, Brady Singer, and Carson Spears.
Speaker 2: Seems like a fan of me. You go to a lot of games.
Speaker 4: I go.
Speaker 3: I bet I go to more games, and I watch not all of them, but I watch a ton of them. It's hard to watch them, by the way, now they're on you have to subscribe, like it's so complicated.
Speaker 5: Fan shame you you're a fan.
Speaker 3: Speaking of fan shaming, Matt, are you gonna leave the arena in Indianapolis with your parents in the building.
Speaker 5: Yes, they can take care of themselves. They're growing a dog.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm gonna get them to their seat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I'll make sure that when it's over, I help them go away. Not going away, but like it, get like leave the arena. But no, I mean, I you know, I bought them seats. I don't have a seat up there. I still have my media credentials.
Speaker 4: So have you.
Speaker 2: Scouted out the local banks, picked a good spot to pop in? And watch the game. Maybe a hotel lobby.
Speaker 4: How I'll see.
Speaker 3: Remember I remember the workout room in the hotel where I watched the twenty fourteen games.
Speaker 6: Okay you remember, Yeah, that's right. I will go back there, Yes, because I worked at fifteen. I tried to watch it in my hotel and we lost. I'm gonna go back to the original workout room. Although I worry now somebody's gonna coup looking and figure out which one it is.
Speaker 2: But they you gotta get a hotel key to get in there.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be staying there.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter. I'll figure it out. I'll figure out. Now.
Speaker 3: I want to be in there until tips. I want to feel that energy, that energy before the game. And I would say, you know, our pregame show will be at five, it's over at six. If you're in Indianapolis, even if you don't go to the pregame show, get in there early so you can that energy leading up to the game is really, in my opinion, what it's kind of all about.
Speaker 5: And just soak it all up because this is pretty special. Like we said, you know, the Kentucky fans, we're we're we're more than just kind of happy to be there. I think all the pressures on Tennessee. They're the higher seed, they're the team that's you know, was supposed to make them a big run this year, and maybe Rick Barnes last season.
Speaker 4: You know that.
Speaker 3: You keep hearing the Rick Barnes thing. We'll figure out if that's uh, if that's it later on. Let's quickly go through from Draft Kings. Uh, you could bat five dollars get twohundred dollars in bonus bets if you're a new customer at Draft Kings promo code KSR. Let's look at the games tonight right a second, all right, you make your They start tonight? First game BYU Alabama. This is in Newark. Alabama is a five and a half point favorite, Mormons versus Tide.
Speaker 4: What do you got?
Speaker 2: I like the Mormons to at least cover the spread, and I don't know what the total is, but this game's going over.
Speaker 4: I think this is gonna be a one to seventy six point five.
Speaker 2: It's a big number. Uh maybe not Okay, regardless, I still like BYU to give him a good game, but Alabama squeaks it out in the end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this could be one hundred to one hundred and five. But Alabama's gonna win roll tide.
Speaker 3: I think they win. I think b WYU is good, but this is a game. I feel like this game like I did Arkansas Saint John's b YU ain't seen dudes as athletic as this, right, and this is gonna This is a different level of athleticism. And while they're good, I kind of think Alabama's gonna do to be Why you what they do to us when they play us? You know how they just kinda we just can't keep up with them, dudes. I just think they got better dudes. So I'm gonna take Alabama, Florida and Maryland. Derrick Queen has become the sort of star of the tournament with his how'd you get the guts to make that shot?
Speaker 4: And he said I'm from Baltimore. That was the end of which is a great answer Crab five versus the Gators.
Speaker 2: So did you see what Queen said when they asked him why he likes playing for Willard?
Speaker 4: Pays me, He pays me, That's why he like playing for will Willard.
Speaker 2: Put his hands in his uh, put his head in his hands, just looking down. He pays me, I feel like Florida's got another gear that they still haven't hit yet, and I think tonights tonight.
Speaker 3: This is not better than night. Florida runs them off and Willard seems to have a foot up six and a half. To me, this is the gimme of the night. Florida runs him off the court.
Speaker 5: Although I do like the nickname Crab five, great name, but I'm picking Florida.
Speaker 4: Arizona and Duke.
Speaker 3: Duke played earlier this year at Arizona and it was close game, but Duke won.
Speaker 4: Duke's a nine and a half point favorite. That's a lot.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of points.
Speaker 4: I think Arizona covers, but Duke wins. What do you think?
Speaker 5: I agree with you. I think Duke's gonna win it. But that nine, that's a lot of points for a team that's They're kind of Arizona's kind of hot right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't even have Duke in the tournament my bracket right here, So I'll go Arizona. Caleb Love has played Duke. I think they just covering the spread. Okay, that was a big number. Caleb Love's played Duke for fifteen years when he was at North Carolina. I think he'll be ready to have a big game.
Speaker 3: Tyler Hansboro said, if Caleb Love wins this game, they should retire his jersey at Carolina because he will not duke out of the tournament at two different times, which would be pretty good. And then finally, Cali Perry versus Texas Tech Texas Texas a five and a half point favorite. That's a lot. He's not gonna win this one, is he? Because I kind of think he is. I think I'm thinking in Arkansas. I think they get the right matchup for him again. I'm gonna tex tex Scott athletes now Texas Texas Arkansas gonna be able to out athlete them like they did Saint John's.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely betting on Arkansas to cover. They've been an underdog in both games so far, about five seven points. It's been easy money. I think they can win it too, but I'm definitely on the five and a half.
Speaker 3: Arkansas is like plus one ninety five to win. I can just tell you I'm emotionally hedging this bad because I'm like, this is a classic. I'm betting on Arkansas, so if they lose, I go, well, it's just money, and if they win, I go, thank you, Cal. At least I get money out of this. So that's why I'm betting Arkansas to win.
Speaker 5: Because of that, part of me feels like these of the games were cow choke. He wins the game he's not supposed to against Saint John's.
Speaker 4: And the historic right, historically right.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: You are yep, Shanan, what about you?
Speaker 2: I'll take Texas Tech on that one as well.
Speaker 3: How many Let me ask the people here, because we got a good crowd here this morning, Let's be honest. How many were are root for Texas Tech? Raise your hand? How many of you rooting for Arkansas? Not one person is rooting for Why would you?
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm just saying, like Conference pride, I mean, we don't care about that.
Speaker 3: When they asked me on field of sixty eight, how do Kentucky fans feel about Cal? I said, I don't think we hate him, but we want him to lose. Do you think that's a good description. Yes, I think that's very fair.
Speaker 5: Deep down, there's no real hatred there, but we do not want him to succeed.
Speaker 4: There. I think that's the explanation.
Speaker 3: I mean even personally for all the stuff that I had going back and forth with I don't hate him, I don't hate anybody. But I had too many good memories with him to even severely dislike him.
Speaker 4: But I do want him to I mean, is that how you are? And it's not.
Speaker 2: Wrong to want him to lose because we are still in the middle of this breakup and you want Kentucky to win. And he says, I just moved headquarters. If it actually shows that it's working out, it kind of is a stain on Mark Pope, at least in going on recruiting.
Speaker 4: It's not a stain on Mark Pope, MARKO.
Speaker 2: I'm saying when he goes into a house in recruiting, we need Mark Pope. We need to Kentucky to still be Kentucky. I think he's already made it that far. But if kl keeps saying me, me, me, and I was Kentucky and then he goes to a final four, he has a little bit of I think.
Speaker 3: It helps him, and I think it helps that argument. Yeah, but I don't think it has anything to do with Mark Pope. Mark Pope had three weeks to make a roster. He took most of his team with him. You know, he had a couple people, but he took all the recruits, and he took a lot that they.
Speaker 4: Weren't in the same situation.
Speaker 2: But going into a recruiting room and Cal says, Kentucky's just there out left it. It's me, me, me, and then he goes on has a great year. That does give I think Pope's already won the breakup, but that gives Cal a little bit that he can say to recruits.
Speaker 4: True. I mean, I think that's right. All right, we'll take your call.
Speaker 3: Say if I'm not two eight h twenty two eighty sent here at Kosbar, Kentucky Sports Radio, I'll feed him hog TJ.
Speaker 4: Smith, personal injury attorney, call TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 5: No more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 4: Here's Nott Jones.
Speaker 3: I hope it's not Texas Tech that feeds them hogs, because I mean, he can't get out and roam around like his old hunting dogs. Hopefully, tonight Texas Tech make sure that the hog feeding is over. I feel good that Florida'll beat him in the next round. But if Maryland were to somehow beat Florida and then Arkansas were to beat Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: I can't even like, come on, they can't.
Speaker 5: Have is a doue still out? He's not playing?
Speaker 3: They said, who do may play eight to ten minutes tonight. So shout out to Mario over there with the old apex UK jacket on. That's a cool old school the Wildcats scratch jacket, Drew.
Speaker 4: I didn't know where'd he get that?
Speaker 2: Oh apex? I think was even better than the converse dentim. I think that was our best we've ever had. Mario wasn't born yet when they wore the apex. That's a good time. I can't see the tongue on that, but it might even be the say oh does that have the tongue? I'm trying to get a good look, Mars a little too far away.
Speaker 4: Does it have the tongue? You go, look, oh it's got the tongue. Oh wow, man, that is a that is a high piece of value.
Speaker 3: Volunteers of America Mid States part of Volunteers of America, region's largest nonprofit provider of human services, including housing, veteran support, justice shelter, and more. There's a new building in Louisville and downtown the Community Care Campus.
Speaker 4: I just drove by it the other day. They do great work.
Speaker 3: Learn more at voamd dot org helping those that are less fortunate. It's voa mid dot org five oh two six three six seven seven to one voamid dot org before we go the phones. It's little bit of news that I think got lost in all this NCAA tournament news. The Players Festival has announced it starting not next season, but the year after that, They're gonna do a thirty two team tournament in November. Basically it will be March Madness, but in November they're gonna try to get the thirty two best teams going into the year and have them play each other in sort of a preseason tournament.
Speaker 4: It would be.
Speaker 3: Pool play, so they would like take the thirty two teams, put them in eight groups of four. You'd play three games against your teams, and then the eight teams that win their brackets would go to Vegas and play each other in a tournament. I love the idea. First prize would be a huge nil fund. If you look at the teams that have already signed up for it, it's basically every great team that's not a historic power. So Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas haven't signed up for it, but Alabama, Auburn, you like, those teams are all in. So in my opinion, we got to get in. I mean, if they're giving away that level of nil money if you win, it's a tournament where the winners get money, so you know they're into it now.
Speaker 4: They did that earlier this year. I think Houston was in it.
Speaker 3: Alabama, but they're talking about doing a massive one.
Speaker 4: So that's part one of the story. Part two.
Speaker 3: In order to be able to do it, the NCA is now going to add starting next year, instead of thirty one games, we're gonna get to play thirty two games, So you're gonna get one more game during the regular season, which I like. Mark Pop says he thinks we should play a forty game regular season. I'm not sure if that'll ever happen, but thirty two is one more. I mean, just a few years ago it was only twenty eight. Now it's up to thirty two. I like both those developments. If they have a tournament like that, Drew, I feel like Kentucky has to be in it. Do you agree, dude? Also, you know when you're out trying to get players. You want to be a part of that, saying hey, you could win a lot of money early in the season before we even get focused on March mad It's just something else to add saying you're a part of that. And for as a fan, more meaningful basketball that earlier in the year, of course, I'm up for that. I mean, who's not gonna love they're basically talking about during Thanksgiving? You would play like when the Maui Invitational happens, You're playing in a basketball tournament, the finals of which you're in Vegas, but some of them will be home and home.
Speaker 4: So say we got paired.
Speaker 3: I think their idea is they take the four major conferences and we'd have one Big ten team, one Big twelve team, one ACC team, and let's say us and we get home and we get to play them in a hole Marinas, right like we would play a game at Rock we'd go there.
Speaker 4: I mean, Ryan, that sounds awesome to me, don't you, doesn't it you?
Speaker 5: I love everything about it. To play in an early season tournament like that will not only be huge for the fans, but like Drew said, huge for the players. I mean just a competitive edge. You'd rather do something like that than play Tooth State or somebody that comes into Ropperena.
Speaker 4: You love saying. You know what's funny. This is a true story, folks.
Speaker 3: I was sitting at the game yesterday when Adarek County was playing Bowling Green, and I was talking to one of my very good friends, one of my lifelong friends, and he literally said this yesterday, Shannon. He said to me, do you think Ryan could go a week without saying the word poop? And I said I think he could, And he said I don't think he could.
Speaker 4: And then we come in the next day and.
Speaker 2: Drew, he has already said it hasn't been twenty four hours. Like, I hope you took the under on the on that bet.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's exactly right, and you are fifty six years old.
Speaker 5: Of fifty eight. Really, I'll be fifty nine this summer pushing the Big six.
Speaker 2: Oh's another block party for sixty.
Speaker 4: You better believe I will unbelievable anyway. I love the idea too.
Speaker 3: I will say, if they keep having these power teams, though, Kentucky's got to get in.
Speaker 4: They have to like they have to get in.
Speaker 3: I mean no offense to the you know, the the stupid tournaments we have here, We've got we cannot allow these programs to have these big things in us not do it. And Duke and Carolina Kansas, one of these teams is going to break the seal and play in it, and once they do, we have to.
Speaker 2: It was nice winning the BBN Invitational this year, but the players and UK didn't even know that was going on when we were asking about it. So I think this tournam will be will be better and for us personally, I'm gonna get selfish Ofvegas trip, maybe a ks R road trip.
Speaker 4: A Vegas trip during thanks I mean it would be it would be great. Who's up first? T O t O go ahead, t O.
Speaker 7: Magic? Then you're from coming in hot today. The big Blue Nation's got to hear this. First things First, Davy Crockett was half the man that Daniel Boone was. Couldn't have covered half the area that he did. All right, different about that.
Speaker 3: You're saying Daniel Boone is better than Davy Crockett, So Kentucky's that's right. He crossed the Comeling gap. He left Tennessee to come to Kentucky. If you'll remember.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of Davy Crockett's legends are all just stole from Boone. Anyway, that's kind of a Tennessee thing. Okay, anyways, boys, when I was seven years old, I stood in front of Jamel Martinez and Jamal Mashburn in a stereo store in Fayette Mall and I got an autograph on the back of a banker seat, and I felt like the biggest superstar ever. And every Kentucky person that loves this team and is blue blood and has got the same experience, we all understood the assignment when we got it. Now that even wore pigs of Tennessee, your dad are in at Black Delico Mountain and our troops are gonna have to mount up. We're gonna have to send everybody we got to this game. We're gonna have to that area.
Speaker 3: We're gonna own the arena, and we're gon We're gonna own the arena. I think Purdue is gonna have a lot of people, but we're gonna I think it's just my opinion.
Speaker 4: We'll find out if I'm right.
Speaker 3: I think we'll have more fans there Ryan than than than both Purdue and certainly than Tennessee, but I think we'll have more than Purdue as well, even though it's in only an hour down the rope.
Speaker 5: And I think because like you said, we did it at the SEC Tournament, didn't do it much as Milwaukee. Cause think maybe a lot of people when they saw the brackets thought we'll just go to Indianapolis, and they make the Indianapolis will go there. I think we'll see a huge turnout of UK fans.
Speaker 2: Also being the first game, the people they'll linger, they'll be out eating, drinking, kind of waiting till their game starts. So you won't have all the other fans early maybe for the end of the game, but in the beginning they still won't be there yet.
Speaker 3: We let's talk about sort of the vibe in Indianapolis, all right. So we won those games in twenty fourteen there, but then we lost obviously in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: There and we lost to Saint Peter's.
Speaker 3: Now, somebody gave us some sage to burn on the pregame show tomorrow to try to get rid of the Indianapolis curse. I think we're gonna do that, just to be careful. If Ryan doesn't drop it. Shennon into the water.
Speaker 4: Like, don't let Ryan be responsible for this?
Speaker 3: But do you do you feel like you know Indianapolis? We remember the bad, but twenty fourteen was a heck of a run there. We won I think one year with Tubby. I think we won our first and second round games there. We played like Ooey pooey and somebody else and eku, that's right. Do you think Indianapolis is a curse or a blessing?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Also, you know the ninety seven Final four we got to the championship game in indian lost to Arizona, So there are there are some hiccups in Indianapolis. For sure.
Speaker 2: We've lost four straight games there. If you throw in the Champions Classic, I don't love that. I'm staying in the same hotel as I was for Saint Peter's, so maybe we burned the stage in my room.
Speaker 4: Okay, they really get the all right, get.
Speaker 2: The reverse the curse there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I still like us being there because I like the fact that our fans. I mean, if it was in Newark or San Francisco, we wouldn't have the same fan base. Now they're also playing in Atlanta, which we could have. We would have probably packed too, But I I mean, I think there's a lot of people like my parents wouldn't have been able to go if it was in Newark or San Francisco. They're going because it's in Indy. I think there'll be a lot of people like that.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it's close. I'm kind of glad it's Indie. But if we were to lose, I think we just have to boycott that city forever. That would be twenty fifteen Wisconsin that I think broke it for everyone. Saint Peter's and then losing the balls, those would be three of the worst tournament losses ever, all in the same city.
Speaker 4: I do agree with decade. I do agree with the color.
Speaker 3: We don't get enough credit to Daniel Boone, like Davy Crockett gets all the songs. You know, Daniel Boone is the one that crossed the mountain, right, Daniel Boone went from the Cut through the Cumberland Gap. He doesn't get enough credit, and he intentionally left Tennessee to come to Kentucky. It's right, So that was a that was a conscientious choice that I think is positive.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've got the Daniel Boone House here just south of Lexington, the Daniel Boone Park. He I don't know if Davey Crockett has a house in election Boone County, Boone County, right, What else is Boone here?
Speaker 4: Boone's butcher Shop.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's the different Boon Maybe to send it, I don't know Boone's butcher shop was. I think Davey Crockett just had better marketing Boone. He was humble, he was just out, you know, exploring.
Speaker 4: He didn't he didn't need to be.
Speaker 2: Talked about for your call.
Speaker 4: He had a better pr F.
Speaker 2: Davy's trying to sell hats, still selling hats, allen Berg.
Speaker 4: What did Davy Crockett do?
Speaker 3: He went, he went to I thought every I thought he did everything in Texas.
Speaker 4: Would any like fighting the Alamo or something.
Speaker 5: That sounds right? We'll go with it, Yeah, stay with stay on that.
Speaker 3: I didn't pay attention those days, eight five, nine, twenty two, eighty seven.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take a break and come back.
Speaker 3: Sweet sixteen will do some more pre again, wide open now with Saint X out, anybody could win it.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break ary back. It's KISR.
Speaker 3: I didn't expect Daniel Boone to be getting this much publicity today. But he is Daniel. But we have Boonsborough. Is this lady right here? It's from Moco just said to me. You got Daniel Boone's buried in Frankfort apparently, although there's somebody that claims here that's not true, that it's actually in Missouri and it's a fake body in Frankfort.
Speaker 6: Oh, controversy, that's that's a conspiracy there, fake Daniel Boone body.
Speaker 5: I think he's a Kentucky guy. He's probably buried here in Kentucky.
Speaker 4: You got the Daniel Boone Festival in Barbara Ball.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've been there.
Speaker 4: You got the Daniel Boone Motel in Pikeville.
Speaker 5: Not been there.
Speaker 4: I've not been there.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine that's extremely nice, the Daniel Boom Motel. Maybe it is, but I'm I'm just have a hard time believing it.
Speaker 2: I'll stay in it. You place that might be haunted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, about Daniel Boone.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I've got something I'm gonna stalk co about in the second hour. But I want to throw in here before I go back to phones. Did you see you probably didn't see, do you know who's going to be the graduation speaker at the University of Maryland this year.
Speaker 4: Don't say it, okay, So give.
Speaker 3: Me an example, Like, like, let's say you're University of Maryland and you're trying to figure out who do we get to be a graduation speaker? Okay, A lot of different ways you could go. I mean, they used to bring politicians. Now people are hesitant to do it because people get booed and all that. So you bring celebrities, maybe famous people. If you were at Maryland, who would bring Scott Vimpel.
Speaker 5: That's the only Maryland gradh CEO of.
Speaker 3: Under Armour, Yes, CEO Army. Let me tell you what Maryland decided. They went a little different direction. The graduation speaker for the graduates at the University of Maryland this year is Kermit the Frog.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 3: Kermit the Frog is going to be the graduation speaker. They said, Kermit the Frog brings a message of hope and happiness, which I think is probably true true, But how does that work logistically?
Speaker 4: Shit? It?
Speaker 3: Like, how do you get Kermit the Frog up there without.
Speaker 4: It's not a real frog?
Speaker 3: So, like, I mean they're gonna have to have Kurt somebody with a hand and a hand.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: But so Kermit the Frog.
Speaker 3: If you went to the University of Maryland, would you be happy that your graduation speaker was Kermit the Frog?
Speaker 2: No, nothing, nothing against Kermit. But if I'm graduating from college and I'm sitting there in the arena and my parents in the crowd, and I got to sit and listen to a puppet, it seems like we're not taking it very much.
Speaker 5: Which want Gorm, we want Miss Piggy.
Speaker 4: But chances are it's gonna be really short. It's true, right, the chances are.
Speaker 3: I mean, Kermit doesn't have He's not gonna write the Gettysburg address like.
Speaker 4: He's probably gonna be something pretty short. So that's good.
Speaker 5: I have no memory whatsoever of whoever spoke at my Kentucky Weslen graduation, but I'll tell you what, if it was Kermit the Frog, I would definitely remember.
Speaker 4: This is a really good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've told this story of bunch, but my graduation speaker almost was the best one ever.
Speaker 4: William T.
Speaker 3: Young when he said, uh that you know the number one thing he said, he got up and he said my graduation message to you is don't give up.
Speaker 4: And then he sat down.
Speaker 5: I would yes, great, And then.
Speaker 3: The president was like, no, you got to give a speech, you got to give a speech, and he kept saying no, and then he finally went up and he didn't have a written speech because all he was gonna say was don't give up, which led to no offense to William T. Young just rambling for twenty five minutes because he didn't have a speech written. They should have let him stop it.
Speaker 2: Don't give up, I think, don't don't give up be a great speech in an event that takes several hours. A big fan of his library.
Speaker 3: Too, Yes, uh he was, and he he funded my scholarship to Trancey.
Speaker 4: He did shout out to William T. Young. Who's up next, Brock? He's the he did Jeff peanut butter, Yes he did.
Speaker 3: That's so Jiff for those of Jiff peanut butter. That was created by mister mister Young. Okay, go ahead, Jeff.
Speaker 7: No, it's Brock.
Speaker 4: Okay, Brock, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I said, Jim peanut butter, which made me think that the caller was named Jeff.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm on my way up from Georgia meeting cousins from Florida and Alabama coming up too.
Speaker 7: So I agree.
Speaker 5: I think we're gonna have a real good crowd there.
Speaker 2: I got two quick questions. Okay, First, Oh god, oh, are y'all doing the morning show?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, are y'all doing the morning show?
Speaker 4: Let me answer question one before we go to question two.
Speaker 3: So the morning show tomorrow will be here at ks Bar again. So if you are in Lexington and you want to come to KS Bar, restaurant opens at eleven, but we let people in here. Got a lot of people here right now at ten so they can do that. The pregame show, we're gonna get in the car right after and drive up will be at five pm at ten roof in Indy. So if you are in Indy, we're gonna they're gonna cut the bands off and let us go at five pm in Indy. And I can't wait to bring Larry Blondell into a tin roof at the age of eighty seven years old. That's gonna be a sight in and of itself. But we will be there at five o'clock tomorrow. So what's your second question?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: When KSR is overall have about six seven hours lest on the drive.
Speaker 2: Do you have any podcast recommendations to take up some time for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate the call. I mean, there's a lot of podcasts I like. It's hard to.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you're into, so I can't really say.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will say that if you go back and listen to the part of my take where they preview the NCAA tournament and give a fun fact about each school.
Speaker 4: We listened to that on the way to Milwaukee, and I thought it was.
Speaker 5: Great, fantastic job that plays to their strengths, and I would definitely recommend that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would, I would. I would say that. Also want to note, you know, I lea I have I want Kentucky to win both games this weekend, but I also am scheduled to fly to Amsterdam a week from yesterday, and I have to tell you, Drew the idea of making the Final four and me not being able to go, he's really haunting my mind right now because.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll be thrilled we make it, but having to miss it and I can't get out of this trip. I mean, it was scheduled a year and a half ago, and it was scheduled when Cow was here, and I was like, well, Cow's not making the Final four, so that's fine.
Speaker 4: That will be tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if they were to make the final four, not just any final four, Pope's first year with this group we likes so much. They've just thrown together, having beaten Tennessee to get there, and all the fun we've had leading up to it. I know you're in this commitment. I might just have to say sorry.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't though this is like a fellowship, it's a three and a half year thing.
Speaker 4: They're like, I can't just say no. I've already told them though.
Speaker 3: If we make the Final four, I'm gonna miss one of the meetings to do the pre and postgame show for the games. I'm not missing the pre and postgame show for the Final four, but if we were to make the National Championship, I was realizing that postgame show might start at like five am, and at the Final Four it might start at like three thirty am.
Speaker 2: For me, when's the last time you saw five am?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: Intentionally yeah, not just waking up the middle of the night when.
Speaker 3: I'm then I turned down things all, anything I have to do that I have to get up before six am. I just say no, anything, you're busy. Anything you could tell me, Matt, I'll fly you to the Masters. We're leaving at five. I'm like, I'll watch it home at that time.
Speaker 2: Of day is brutal. But what if we want a national championship?
Speaker 3: No, if we want a national championship, I'm gonna get up and do it. What I wonder is if we made the Final four is how do I even watch it? Do you think it's even on television there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: You could probably find some UK fans nearby. One of my good friends lives there.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go and tell you.
Speaker 3: If you're in Amsterdam and we make the Final four, whoever's there, if they're a Kentucky fan.
Speaker 4: We have to watch it together somewhere.
Speaker 2: The two people I grew up with live there. One of them is Frank Ramsey's granddaughter. I'm sure they'll want to.
Speaker 3: Okay, Frank Ramsey's granddaughter, where gonn that be?
Speaker 4: Friends? If we make the Final four, because I can't watch.
Speaker 2: I bet you'd have a lot of UK fans show up. Just I mean some might take a train from far away to go be a part of that.
Speaker 3: It would be fun, even though that game would be at like three, and I mean, we got a ways to go to get to that, but it's just something that's been on my mind. We're gonna take a break and come back our number two. We are here at the KS Bar and Grill. It's sweet sixteen times. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.