Speaker 1: All right, we're starting off your week with a brand new episode today.
Speaker 2: Yay Second Date.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, this girl's hack for figuring out if this guy was trustworthy or not is probably going to be used by other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. YEA a good one.
Speaker 1: It's a little on the immortal side, just a tad though not enough, not enough, not at no, okay enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but before we get to it.
Speaker 1: Comments, we love to feature yours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, heavenly said.
Speaker 1: My town was out of internet for over twelve hours.
Speaker 3: Oh and the only thing I wanted to do was listen to y'all's podcast and it did not disappoint. Oh yeah, right, it's just a twelve hour Wait what do you do for twelve hours not internet on Alexis?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I time, I guess, I don't know what I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Your brand new Second Date starts right now.
Speaker 4: The Second Date update it's broken Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: And if you didn't know, you can always hear our Second Date updates on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts. Millions of people download him a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like this.
Speaker 1: It's just the Second Date commercial happening.
Speaker 5: It's right, Brooke says you should download it too, or else I don't want.
Speaker 2: To know what the or where else is.
Speaker 1: May enjoy it?
Speaker 5: Well, thank god, whatever it is, it's in your best interest and not to defy Broke. But we do have a listener on the phone right now who's asked us for a second date. And I didn't even get to read his email ahead of time, so I don't know much about it other than his name is Rick, and hopefully I'm pronouncing that right Rick?
Speaker 4: Is it Rick? Am I saying that right?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: I think it's the only way to pronounce it.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's not emphasizing the C enough in your name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it could be with a silent R. So we don't know.
Speaker 5: But let's get right into your date. Tell us about the woman you met. What's her name?
Speaker 6: So I met a girl named Brenda. I was trying to find just find a way to meet people, and my friend told me to join a running club. So I joined this running.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard a lot of people doing that, I haven't.
Speaker 2: It was really popular for summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, fun.
Speaker 5: Now it's not anymore short just saying late to the trend.
Speaker 1: I think it's fun. It's I mean, it's one a good way to get healthy, so you're gonna get some positive out of it. And then usually people meet up for beers afterwards. Yeah, you meet to start and then and there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did that happen on your date?
Speaker 6: Rick, No, there was no drinking at running club.
Speaker 4: Oh curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never heard of that, too healthy.
Speaker 4: So how did you and Brenda hit it off?
Speaker 6: We met at the back of the line. We were jogging while everyone else was running.
Speaker 4: That's kind of funny. You were the lazy ones who weren't taking it very seriously.
Speaker 2: You can take that slow, Jeff, you don't have to speed shamey. Okay, they showed up. They're not that lazy.
Speaker 4: I feel like being telling them me slow is more.
Speaker 2: Shame for people know when they're slow. I'm slow.
Speaker 4: It's okay, all right.
Speaker 5: So what did you and Brenda talk about at the back of the line.
Speaker 6: Well, we kind of bonded on the fact that we were in running club but hated running club.
Speaker 4: It was like the cool kids at the back of the bus. Why didn't even sign up for this dumb thing? Why are we here?
Speaker 6: So I ended up getting your number, which was cool. So we started texting and then I worked up the courage to ask her out.
Speaker 2: Cute.
Speaker 1: So how long of a friendship did you have before you asked her out?
Speaker 6: Maybe two months if I had to guess, somewhere around there.
Speaker 5: Wow, you're a slow runner and a slow mover romantically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your style. I like you.
Speaker 1: But you were so nervous because you know, you don't want to screw up run club, but you hate.
Speaker 3: You gonna have to pick up the paste of avoiter practice.
Speaker 4: So what did you do? I mean you went out on an official date after this? Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't want to go somewhere too fancy, but I also didn't want to go to like a Denny's or something.
Speaker 7: So I picked a like the.
Speaker 6: Middle of the road Italian restaurant that I've been to before, and I knew the food was good.
Speaker 4: You could say Olive Gardens.
Speaker 6: I mean we all have, no, it was definitely better than Olive Garden.
Speaker 4: Olive Garden is.
Speaker 6: Like the fast food of Italian restaurant.
Speaker 1: We love that Alfredo, yeah, but we love fast food, so it's okay.
Speaker 4: So you went to the Macaroni Bar and Grill and how was it there?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: God, we're just teasing you.
Speaker 1: We don't care about the actual Italian restaurant you win, like a local time.
Speaker 6: It's not important, guys.
Speaker 5: We're more interested in your bond and connection with Brenda.
Speaker 6: While you were there, I feel like the night was going really good. Our conversation was good. I felt like we clicked. And at some point, you know how they serve bread and they have like a little fabric thing underneath.
Speaker 4: It, napkin. Yeah, we're familiar with napkin.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like a doily.
Speaker 7: I think they call it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can say that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we were still thinking olive gardens.
Speaker 2: What happened with the doily?
Speaker 6: So there was underneath it? There was like a half ripped It seemed like a breakup note.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, like a Dear John letter.
Speaker 6: It was strange. It was like only like half of it though, and it was kind of smudgie, but you could tell it was I don't know, it was like a breakup note is the only way I could describe it.
Speaker 1: So was that like a fun thing to talk about on your date? No?
Speaker 6: I mean I thought it was kind of funny in a way. But she did not really react at all. It changed the vibe for sure, because I went to the bathroom and then when I got back from the bathroom, I felt like the air had changed. She like didn't want dessert. She's like, oh, okay, you could just take me home, like real matter of fact.
Speaker 4: No, oh god.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you think it reminded her of a past breakup and it made her sad?
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's what it was. I'm just like guessing here, but something happened that she didn't like, and she kind of like ended it.
Speaker 5: Well, clearly she understood that they sat you down at the breakup table inside the restaurant.
Speaker 2: She was upset you took her to a restaurant where they don't clean the tables very well.
Speaker 5: Geez yeah, I mean that sounds like it's kind of like a bad omen for your first date.
Speaker 4: But that's not your fault, Like I think you can recover from that.
Speaker 2: It's not like I think it'd be a good open. I'd read it.
Speaker 1: I try to find out whose couple is and I waiter.
Speaker 2: With Alexis it be juicy gossip?
Speaker 6: Talk about it?
Speaker 4: You could bond over it, like as we're starting, somebody else ended.
Speaker 2: What was the ride home like?
Speaker 6: In the car, awkward, quiet, like I was trying to make conversation and it was just I don't know, Like I said, the air change, the vibe was okay, interesting.
Speaker 2: Have you seen her at run club since?
Speaker 6: No, I've been back there a few times. I called her, I texted her, I messaged her on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, yeah she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's definitely avoid of communication.
Speaker 4: Brother. Okay, and now we're gonna call her.
Speaker 1: He left smudge notes at every table that she was gonna be at for every restaurant she was about to visit.
Speaker 5: Oh well, I mean, we may not know exactly what it is, but we are committed to helping you figure it out, Rick, because we're gonna call Brenda in just a few minutes here and try and get you your second date update right after this hold on.
Speaker 4: Second date update.
Speaker 5: Can you get blocked by somebody else's tragic breakup?
Speaker 2: That's funny?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's what.
Speaker 5: Our listener Rick is wondering because he took a woman named Brenda out to a mid tier Italian restaurant. His description not ours, but at the bottom of their bread bowl, they found part of a breakup note that a previous couple had apparently left underneath the doily if, which Rick.
Speaker 4: Found kind of amusing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but after that, he says, the whole mood suddenly shifted, and Brenda asked if he could take her back home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's been avoiding him at all costs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so weird and take her home not in the fun.
Speaker 5: Hey, let's go back to my place and I'll show you my fish tank kind of way that I'm ready for the night to be over right now, kind of where.
Speaker 2: You know, how to get to a girl. We love seeing fish takes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, any sort of pet you're all in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But, like Brooks said, the real red flag is she stops showing up to Run club, which I guess she wasn't really a huge fan of anyway. But still something's going on, Yeah, to make her totally disappear, and we're trying to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Rick, that's got to be it.
Speaker 1: Like I remember going to see do you remember Jennifer Andison's movie Breakup? I don't know if you guys remember it, but I went with a date and we both left being like, Ugh, this isn't gonna work. Oh yeah, I just I don't know it Just like brought up all these feelings of like I'm really settling right now?
Speaker 5: Does something bad happen in the breakup?
Speaker 2: That's the whole fighting, the whole movie. Yeah, maybe that's how she felt.
Speaker 5: The point is, Rick, we don't want any of those bad vibes to happen on this call.
Speaker 4: We're going to go to bat for you. Are you ready to do this?
Speaker 6: I'm ready as I'm ever gonna be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not.
Speaker 1: The guy from that breakup letter. You're a great guy that deserves a chance.
Speaker 6: As far as you know.
Speaker 1: Wait, it's not very reassuring, Rick, I know it's a joke.
Speaker 2: That's it. Now is the time.
Speaker 4: You're joking?
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course I'm joking. Guys, Come on, you.
Speaker 5: Have to be sure before we do there.
Speaker 4: We'll find out here we go. Oho, Hey is this Brenda?
Speaker 7: Yeah? This is who's calling?
Speaker 5: Who's calling is a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 7: Hello, good morning, Okay, a normal thing, we get it, Brenda? Yeah, Okay, did I win something or what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's always the hopeful response, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Jeff.
Speaker 5: It's tough when people ask that because I don't know the right way to respond. Other than to say no, not really. This is a segment we do called a second date Update.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 5: We try to help out a listener who's gone out on a date with somebody recently, but they're not getting a callback for a second one. We try to help step in and figure out the reason why, if.
Speaker 4: There is a reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this guy that reached out about you, his name is Rick.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 5: We're trying to help Rick figure out what's gone on since your date because he says he hasn't even seen you at run Club.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, I haven't been there.
Speaker 2: Did you quit because of him?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right, so it sounds like this isn't just a coincidence. You're actually trying to avoid him.
Speaker 7: I am avoiding him, yes, all right, okay.
Speaker 5: So if you could help explain like why you're trying to avoid him, because Rick is pretty clueless.
Speaker 7: I mean, we had been talking for quite a while at run Club and I thought he was different than other guys, But after our date, I don't think he is.
Speaker 2: What what do you mean?
Speaker 1: What what are other guys like?
Speaker 2: I guess is maybe where we should start.
Speaker 7: I mean, like just cheating on people.
Speaker 4: And doing it.
Speaker 2: You think Rick's a cheater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't understand this. Rick said, this was your first date.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so my friends who date a lot more than I do, taught me this trick that like, you don't want to like go in someone's phone because that's just sort of rude. But when he went to the bathroom, he left his phone on the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what you.
Speaker 7: Do is you call the guy's phone when he goes away, and you see name.
Speaker 4: Popstep saved his phone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so when he went to the bathroom, I called his phone. The name that popped up on the screen for my number, said Matthew.
Speaker 1: Matthew.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know what conclusion would you guys come up with if you saw that, Oh.
Speaker 1: Exactly what I would see where you would jump to that conclusion. The only time a guy would change a woman's name in his phone to a male name is so that his Yeah, other female in his life wouldn't know who's calling, got it.
Speaker 5: So that's the reason why you asked him to take you home.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when he came back, I wasn't in the mid for dessert. I was just ready to go.
Speaker 1: So so wait, but you never accused him. You never said, hey, you're in a relationship with.
Speaker 7: The heck yeah, because I mean it's only a first date and I don't know this person.
Speaker 1: I don't believe also, just spent two months with him at the run club, you know what I mean? Like, I think you have every right to be angry. That's two months of him lying to you.
Speaker 5: Brook wants you to confront him right now, actually because she does essentially.
Speaker 1: What is happening.
Speaker 5: She wants it to happen because we actually already have Rick on the other line listening to this, waiting to talk seriously. Yeah, Rick, Hi, yeah, yes, hello, I'd start explaining yourself there, Rick.
Speaker 6: What is there to explain the thing?
Speaker 1: That's why would you call a radio show if you're in another relationship.
Speaker 6: I'm not in a relationship.
Speaker 7: Okay, why did you name me Matthew and your phone?
Speaker 6: Because I just thought it was funny. There's just I have my reasons.
Speaker 4: Reason, but it's not.
Speaker 2: But you think the reason you don't have an okay right now is that.
Speaker 4: Sounds like I can hear him thinking right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Literally, I don't have anything to have an excuse for. I mean, I'm dating technically, I don't be a problem.
Speaker 4: So there are other women that you're going out with.
Speaker 1: But no one that you call a girlfriend or you're committed to wife.
Speaker 6: I'm seeing other people, and for their protection, I change their names in my phone.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, who else is texting you?
Speaker 6: Not only do I have a Matthew, but I have a John, I have a Mark.
Speaker 4: I've got a lot of names. You got all the Apostles. You're just going right down the New Testament.
Speaker 2: You with Bible references. It's weird.
Speaker 6: I mean, you guys are laughing. But I'm going on three dates in one week. I don't want these girls to feel bad, so I want a guy's name to pop up at my phone rings so none of them feel bad.
Speaker 1: See for me, that would spark a whole new round of suspicions.
Speaker 4: Why does John keep asking what you're wearing? Times?
Speaker 7: I don't know. He's spinning it like it's for our protection, but I know that people very It just seems dishonest and weird.
Speaker 6: Not dishonest or weird. It's just the way that I date.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, anything, it's all the women going through his phone there maybe a little dishonest.
Speaker 5: Well let me let me try to clear things up here, because Rick, you say you're seeing a bunch of different women and you're dating around, and that's totally fine. But can I ask you, are any of these ladies in your life? Would any of them consider themselves as your girlfriend? Or is this just like you don't see them as your girl?
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: He's like, well, I got a couple of clinging ones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a couple of them might.
Speaker 4: A couple of them might say they're your girlfriend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you ask them, possibly, why would they say that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Would they think that because you told them that?
Speaker 6: No, I've never used the term girlfriend in any of my dating experience.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean at this point, we are running out of time, so I do need to ask if you want to go out on another date?
Speaker 4: But how many run clubs are you in right now? Rick?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: To meet all these men?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean whatever, they are just the one all right?
Speaker 2: But he's in a bowling league.
Speaker 3: He's also part of a white tasting club club.
Speaker 5: And I know this is all looking pretty bad. But despite what you've heard, would you be willing to give Rick one more chance and go on another date with him?
Speaker 4: Because we'd pay for it?
Speaker 7: No, I don't trust an You guys like well, you shouldn't a guy agree with you right now?
Speaker 4: The text war.
Speaker 1: When a guy says there's a couple of women who think they're my girlfriend, it's usually a pretty big red flag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Rick man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: It looks like you're gonna have to block Matthew in your phone now, So darn I.
Speaker 2: Think Matthew's blocking him.
Speaker 6: Double ye yeah whatever things anyways, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 4: Look how heartbroken he is.
Speaker 2: This one hurts what girlfriend is? He's going to rush home to let me get out.
Speaker 4: The Bible and I'll find out. Gabriel. Oh no, he's the saucy one. Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a good point Alexis brought up because it saying, but you know, it does sound like it's an okay idea to do with just a couple of names. But when you're juggling a bunch of different dudes names, swapping him out for girls names, it's gotta get really really confusing, really fast.
Speaker 4: Really, my friend matters.
Speaker 1: It's hard enough to remember people's regular names, let alone the pseudoname.
Speaker 3: Like a guy that's just calculated before he does anything wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't trust before he does anything wrong.
Speaker 3: He just said that multiple girls think that they're not an actual trouble yet.
Speaker 4: Imagine organized.
Speaker 5: Yeah, before you know, he's gonna end up talking to some girl named Elizabeth but accidentally call her Hank, and then.
Speaker 4: It'll be super awkward.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we did him a favor by exposing this early on in his questionable dating strategy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't really want to do him any favors.
Speaker 5: Trust he needs some help, Brooke, Come on, if he's doing this, he's desperate. Just remember you could check out our podcast wherever you get yours Apple, Spotify, iHeart, We're.
Speaker 4: Gonna be there. Just look us up at Brook and Jeffrey