Speaker 1: It is Thursday, April fourth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hours brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, now streaming the errors tour JP's version.
Speaker 2: J P Chackrack and welcome in. It's Jaguars halfy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water it's worth saving and a busy hour ahead. We're three weeks to the NFL Draft, so we'll hear from Trevor Sikkhima, pro football focused NFL draft analysts, get his thoughts on a couple of position groups that could be in play for the Jaguars, cornerback and wide receiver. See what he has to say about that. The offseason program right around the corner as well. That's a couple of weeks, so ten days away or so eleven days, the fifteenth, whatever. Today is the fourth. He just said it. Joe just said it. It's the fourth. It's Thursday. Either way, that's coming up. We'll get to that. We'll keep it real as we always do. And microsoft questions from social media. That all is coming up on tenon XLAM Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman from the Miller Electric Center the Hyundai Studios. Good afternoon, afternoon, How the heck are you. I'm doing great. I mean, well, first of all, the weather today is fantastic. Yeah, it's been the last couple of days, went raining, right and then go a little rain. But I mean it's a little nice and little chill in the air, a little breezy. This is kind of the last chill, right. Not a good day for fishing, but it's a good day to be outside. Well, we're in the day for football. Yeah. I was gonna say today we're a football day. I mean, it would be like, oh man, it's perfect. Let's go. Hey, this is the last kind of chill. It's gonna be warm from here on. You think, no, no, no, no. We usually have a little bit of a one more. Yeah, I mean the rest of the month of April, we'll have some cool weather. Come on, JP, I'm not ready for summer yet. I'm not. I'm just I would I'm asking somebody who would know. I know you're excited about getting the the OTA stuff started. Yeah, okay, let's let's just calm it down. By the way the Chargers already started because they have a new head coach, right, And it was kind of funny listening to Jim Harbaugh speak, did you see any Everything's great, they're the best, The team's doing great. It's the best attitude I've ever seen. What else is he supposed to say? What else do you expect him to say? These guys stinks. It's just there's a reason I'm here. It's just funny. And the same thing in Washington. You know, it's the hope that you have with a new staff and and some new players. You know how many times we've heard that around here over the years. I know, I know what six head coaches in the last twelve years. Look, look, I'm happy with Doug Peterson, don't wrong. And I'm happy with the direction of this organization. I mean it's it's good. Just need to get better. But in years past there, you know, we'd have a change in the organization and we're like, yes, we're gonna get better, and then it wouldn't happen. It can always be worse, but you know, you can always hope. Spring is eternal. I guess, yeah, a good spot right now? Right, I mean back to back now, But I'm excited about the Ota is getting started soon. Quite ready for him to start yet, but you know, I'm excited about it for a couple of different reasons. One to see some action on the field, to see some of the new players. But then I always like it once the draft class comes in because then you get an idea of what this team, what their personality may be, what their characteristics may be. That's when you get a feel. And also you can get a feel as to Okay, now we still have a couple holes. What do we have to address in what I call the late free agent period Because there's plenty of opportunities for teams to get better once once you get past the draft, and some teams need to get better past the draft. The good teams sometimes wait until after the draft. Take a look at the Baltimore Ravens. They don't participate a ton in free agency at the onset, but they like to do it after the draft and into June because it helps with their compensatory pick formula. So they're one of the good teams at that. You also pick players right the first time in the draft too, that helps. That's what makes them good, right They pick good players, they develop them, and they lose them, and then all of a sudden they get a return on their investment, their initial investment because they're losing good players are getting get paid out. Did you see their compensatory formula for the year coming up in twenty twenty five? Lot of picks, it's really good, and this team right here grabbed a couple of them. That's helping their compensatory package.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: One position group that the Jags won't have to change anytime soon, as middle linebacker fo Yer looking good with the the extension four years, forty five million dollars reportedly twenty two and a half million fully guaranteed at signing. He led the league in tackles, of course, in twenty one and twenty two, finished fourth last season in total tackles in the NFL. And you like this movie, I like it. I don't like it. I love it. Why Because he's a really good football player. He's always available, he's tough, he's dependable, he plays hard every snap. And if you look at his film, you can watch plays one through ten and then watch plays seventy through eighty, and they look the same, speed wise, effort wise, everything and trust me. There were some games where he had eighty snaps. And I'm not joking when I say that the first ten looked as good as are the last ten looked as good as the first ten. That's how good of a player he is now. I think there was some hope with the draft pick last year out of Florida Ventre Miller benre Miller, that may be a Ventro Miller could supplant a Foyer Lucan in the future and you would maybe have to expend a capital amount to keep an inside linebacker shot. Nobody's taken Foyer's job. Man's a stud, stud and he's a leader. That's the best part about it. Love the way he steps in front of the huddle, loves the way he holds guy's accountable. We're showing on jaguars dot Com and JAG's YouTube some of the highlights of Luca and I forgot about the pick six against the Saints, first ever touchdown in the ashell. It was great play, awesome. So yeah, he's all over the place and he'll be here for a while to come, sir. He's an every down linebacker and he fills every stat every category that there is okay, interceptions, sacks, tackles, of course, he fills that one for enough for two guys cause fumbles recovered, fumbles, tackles for losses. He fills every category that there is on the defensive sheet. And remember, I mean he's spent a season putting other people in the right place around it as well, and still do it. And you're talking about two years ago when Devin Lloyd was a rookie and he was having to get Devin lined up a little bit. And then this past year, Devon was doing a good job of handling that himself. And I thought, you saw the improved play by Foyer. Because I don't want to use this term, but I'm going to use it. He didn't have to babysit, yeah, because it's it's the only term that I can think of comes at the top of my mind, so I'm gonna have to use it. But okay, and fortunately Devin grew up. Devin figured it out you're two of the system, and was handling it himself. And I expect that Devin starts to maybe tutor others or mentor others in the future. Now the trick is, with the system changing some does everybody adjust the same way. You know, that's something to worry about, right. I mean, Foyer is a student of the game, works hard at it, studies his playbook. Highly intelligent football player and not just a highly intelligent football player. He's he has instincts, football instincts, football intelligence, which goes above okay, looking at a sheet and being able to fill out a multiple choice or a fill in the blank test on a game plan. A guy, he's some guys just know and anticipate. When you watch Foyer play, he's always when you watch his reaction time to where the to what the play is actually gonna be, he's at least a half a step to a full step ahead of most people because he studies the game and he's got great instincts. Join us Tuesday, April sixteenth, from six point thirty to eight thirty pm at EverBank Stadium for the be Inspired by Jaggs Jobs. Event is presented by the Florida Lottery. Register now at Jaguars dot com, slash Bright Futures or on tentonexlam, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logoman. We'll hear from every second of a pro football focus in less than ten minutes about where there might be some value at number seventeen. Overall three weeks to the draft logs, and I know, in the weeks leading up to the draft you start really grinding on this prospect tape. This is your time of year to get into these key position groups, certainly the ones that Jaguars could be after, but you really love the quarterbacks too, right, Yeah, when You're saying that this is the time of year that I'll be sitting there watching the film of these college prospects, okay with my with my Microsoft surface and you know, great sponsors. All of a sudden, forty five minutes an hour into it, all of a sudden, it's hit me in my nose, you know, because you know it's at night. You know, you're tired, You're trying to watch you know, four or five guys, and all of a sudden you're sitting there and you're laying back on the couch and you're kind of holding it, you know, on your chest, and and all of a sudden, damn, something hit you. Waking up and you're like, oh, whoa wait, I fell asleep. But no, I enjoy watching I've been watching the quarterbacks and the quarterbacks I think I have a big impact on what will be available to the Jaguars at seventeen. And that's one of the reasons why I've been watching him. Because of the potential for five quarterbacks to go before the Jaguars pick. It's pretty amazing, right, I mean that doesn't happen too often, even when there are really good quarterback classes. Sometimes it spreads out enough where there aren't that many in the first half of a first round. But who are a few yet your eyes on this week? I mean, obviously, Caleb Williams is the guy, former Heisman winner out of southern California, so a lot of people are saying, a lot of the pundits think he's going to be the number one overall pick to the Chicago Bears. So what stands out about Caleb Williams in the film that you've seen. He is so smooth. I mean when I say smooth, he's so athletic, and he is a total Joe cool, never gets flush, start, never panics, is super athletic to escape from something and then create something. And it's fun to watch a talented arm, live arm, accurate arm put all that together and then you have a generational player, fantastic player. I mean, this is probably I think one of the best quarterbacks since Trevor Lawrence to come out. And he's got it all. He's got it all. I love it. And what I think impresses me the most is what he does when the plays break down. So there's a lot of quarterbacks and in the NFL, you've got to survive in a system. Okay, but the exceptional ones. Take a look at Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City. The exceptional ones and I hate to use this term, but I'm gonna use it. Play above the x's and o's, and it's when things become off the written or off schedule plays and now the player has to create something on his own. And that's where Caleb Caleb Williams really really shot. It's because he's so athletic and then the arm talent from any position is there all the time. About the off the field stuff, there's some critics of him and his personality away from the game, and how does that trans what it's the criticism tell me that some of it. You know, there was a moment last year where he came off the field was went to crying with his mom was there in the front row. I remember Pete prisco on half the hour of the week after it was all over him, partly because Bisselli was here. But there's some of that, right, What do you make of that? Can can? Is that overblown because there's so much attention put on him because many people expected him to be the first overall pick, whether it bean last year or this year. So there's so much attention on him as a player because of that. Is it? Is it the microscope effect? Maybe? But you know, I think you're always going to find a flall with somebody if you look hard and long enough. But I think for the most part, this is an exceptional football player, and a lot of people are maybe turned off because, Okay, he doesn't want to go visit all the teams and he doesn't want to do stuff at the combine. I don't blame him one bit. I mean, he's he's the first overall pick, hands down. Does he need to go through all those hoops to be able to make people satisfied across the board? I'm okay with him not doing any of that stuff. Yeah, I mean, turn on the film, Okay, look at the class guy that he's been so far. Go watch the UCLA game from two seasons ago at the Rose Bowl. It is unbelievable. I'm backing forth up and down the field, him and Dorian Timeson Robinson back and forth all game long. It was Okay, since we're talking about games, Okay, I'm going to go to another quarterback because he's on my list and he's not really I want to say he's in the top three, but I have him on this list to talk about today because this is a guy that could sneak in somewhere into the first round and maybe even before the Jaguars pick. Who Michael Pennix. And the reason I bring him up now is because you talk about Caleb Williams against you CLA two years ago. Did you watch Michael Pennix against Texas? Was fantastic? Holy cow, the deep balls that he threw. And what I love about him is that, I mean super live arm. Him and Drake May I think have exceptional arms. And I think that's what makes those two guys the second and third best quarterbacks I think in this draft. But Pennix has the size, he's athletic, he has exceptional deep exceptional exceptional live arm with deep ball ability. I like him, and I know that there are some concerns about him injury wise, and that's natural. But this is a guy that if all of a sudden, he ends up slipping up in front of the jack Wars and some of the other quarterbacks go as expected Jayden Daniels, JJ McCarthy, if all of a sudden, all those guys go up ahead of the Jaguars as well, the Jaguars are going to have a lot to pick from that they really like. And it's not going to be an easy decision because a lot of players are going to get pushed back because the quarterbacks that are in the top of the draft. Let's get one more quarterback in you've been watching, and it's from Chapel Hill and from North Carolina. Drake May. Yeah big. I mean, he's got all the measurables right, six ' four, two hundred and thirty pounds, got an arm that is lights out, and what I like about him, does a really good ball job of getting the ball out faster than like a Caleb Williams. You know, as far as reading reacting Caleb. Part of the reason why he takes a little bit longer to get the ball out on average. Also is because he extends the play and uses his athleticism. But May does a good job of really staying within the structure of the scheme and getting the ball out reading defenses. Now there are times that he has a miss, but it's not because of a flawed footwork or flawed arm or any of that nature. If Caleb Williams is not in this draft, Drake May is the hands down top of the class, first overall pick, and it's not even a debate because he's that talented of a quarterback. I want to end on this question here. You mentioned Caleb Williams is a generational prospect or could be, I believe, so how many times how many generational players can you actually have in one generation? I feel like it's an overused terms. Trevor was the one, right, that's only like four years ago. If we go back and say, okay, would generational quarterbacks okay and use of that label. I used it on Caleb Williams, I've used it on Trevor Lawrence and I've used it and then it's just me personally. I don't know if other people have you that are not Patrick Mahomes just because of and I said this a few years ago, I said, he's the greatest quarterback I ever watched film on. I remember that, and I think that those three guys in recent time, Now, how can you have three in one generation? Understand your you know what I mean, understand your totally. I think it's an overused term. I think there's a way to say it. But I mean, I don't know what that term would be. Yeah, but that's the point is that you think he is up here with those caliber plays. I believe he is, and but yeah, I mean, I think it's a better I'm glad that you asked a question because it kind of clarifies what my definition of a generational talent would be. And so by giving people those ideas, Peyton manning generational talent when he was coming out. I wasn't a big fan of Ryan Leaf, you know. I mean, let's go back to the early eighties, right, Marino and Elway were in the same draft. Well, many people didn't view Dan Reno as a generational talent, and he slid because they thought the marijuana stuff or whatever. He slid down the draft. John Elway, there was a little bit of question him about his commitment to football with baseball sitting out there, so a lot of people didn't view him as that, but he was the pick and he was yeah, and turned out turned out to be a Federational Hall of Fame player, Hall of Fame player Jim Kelly, many people viewed as a one of those types, one of those great players. But it's a good that you asked that question and you bring that up, because I think it clarifies that it's not necessarily once per generation. It's probably more it's another upper category. These are the top of this tworeation exactly back in the moment, plenty more ahead semantics, I guess at this point. Yeah, but that's a big that makes a big, big difference. I think if you far as definitions go back, we've got to invent a new name or a new term or new category. JP. It's up to me and you. We've got forty one minutes to figure out. The masters of the English language. Can we figure this out within forty five minutes, We're about to find out. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving, JP Shadrick, Jeff Logman. Glad you're with us on this Thursday. It's April fourth. We are three weeks of the NFL draft and music lives here. Just announce shows that Daily's Place include Stone Temple, Pilots Live, Lindsey Sterling, Two Door Cinema Club, Slightly Stupid, that's your favorite Logs I like them, the Dirty Heads, and more. And get your tickets at Dailiesplace dot com or call six three three two thousand and learn about vip seating. We're on Tintonexlam, Jaguars dot com and Jaguars YouTube. What's that look for dip V? You said, d V I very very important for people. Yeah, I thought you were a little confused there. I was like, hmm, it's possibly coming up with a new term the proceeding. We've got to figure out a new term for generational. So I figured we get started, right, what do we you know, how do we figure this out the next what thirty eight seven? I don't know, but we're going to work on it. Generational we're going to work on it. Quarterback of a decade every I mean, how do you do that? What's the just the definition of a generation twenty years? I don't know it twenty or is it third twenty five? I don't know. That's first of all, we've we got to find generational Yeah, well let's take a few minutes and we'll work behind the scenes. When we hear from Trevor six, we'll let Joe figure that out. Yeah, our crack research staff. Yes, three weeks to the draft, and it's of course a busy time for everyone in the pre draft process, but certainly those at Pro Football Focus and NFL Draft analyst Trevor Sikhim earlier today caught up with him and discuss the Jaguars at number seventeen and the possibilities of a why receiver or a top tier cornerback in the first round.
Speaker 3: Those are three receiving corps now that the Jaggers have to go up against twice a year.
Speaker 2: That is tough.
Speaker 3: I mean, as deep as talented, and like you said, it puts a little bit more pressure on them potentially going corner in the first round at number seventeen. Overall, maybe they feel aggressive enough to maybe move up and go get the top CBCB one in this draft, because it feels like it's hard to believe that no corner would go before number seventeen. But I again, any of these guys would be on the board for them to play opposite Tyson Campbell. I like Quinion Mitchell a lot from Toledo. I think that he's probably gonna be the first cornerback off the board. It's just hard to not look at what he has done over the last two years and feel like there was something that he left on the table or that there was a box that was unchecked. He's got good size, he's got incredible speed. He saw him in off coverage rolls over the last two years elite PFF grades in coverage, which is extremely impressive. Had the most forced incompletions of any cornerback in college football over the last two years, a handful of interceptions as well, with good ball skills. The really the only question with him was, hey, can you play him in press? Can you play him in man? Because he was a big off coverage defender at Toledowen. You know, I think that they did a really good job of the senior bowl of saying, Okay, we've seen you play off coverage a lot, now come in and what do you like in press? And they lined him in press.
Speaker 2: And what did he do well?
Speaker 3: He basically just shut down every receiver that he went up again, so checks all those boxes. I think he'd be phenomenal choice for Jacksonville if they have the opportunity to take them. Your tear around Arnold from Alabama Kole Ay mckinstrey, his teammate at Alabama as well, could be really solid players, especially again in a situation where you already have Campbell, who is an ascending young cornerback and one of the best young corners in the game. I think that getting that elite outside cornerback duo is paramount to, like you said, being able to keep pace with a lot of the teams in this division. And you don't always want to make more your moves based on someone else. But I do feel as though Jacksonville kind of made a lot of their moves in and kind of like what they wanted to do in free agency and so the draft. Could you could argue that, Okay, it could be a little bit more reactionary, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you get a really good football player on your team. So I think that, yeah, when you look at the rest of that division, having to play all those teams and those offenses at least twice a year piece, that definitely ups the pressure to make your secondary as good as it can be.
Speaker 2: Trevor second and Pro Football Focus at Tampa Bay tray on X. Well, that's one philosophy is to defend it a little bit better. Well, the other one is to you know, fight fire with fire and add some more offensive weaponry for Trevor Lawrence at wide receiver and the Jaguars historically in the early rounds have not drafted a lot of wide receivers. Only nine all time in the first three rounds have been selected by the Jaguars. Only one of those, Trevor has made it to a second contract, and that was Marquise Lee. The last first round draft pick for the Jags at wide receiver was Justin Blackman in twenty twelve. So they haven't historically fared well in this department. But if they were to go the wide receiver route, is there something there middle of the first round?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there absolutely is. And the good thing about it is. You know, Jacksonville's sitting here, They've got a second round pick, they got a third round compick right now. I think that you could even maybe get an impact receiver in the second and third round as well. But I don't, you know, the big question is, Hey, this wide receiver class is so good, it's so deep, it's so talented. Does that deter you from taking one in the first round because you think you get win a little bit later. I think it's an interesting conversation for teams to have, but I would tell you that I wouldn't really let the thought of that get in the way of me taking a guy who I think could be a wide receiver one on my team. And I think that when you look at an ad Mitchell from Texas Brian Thomas Junior from LSU, those are two of the wide receivers that I think could be in that sweet spot off still available, but really high impact players for them at number seventeen. If they don't move, it's.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 3: I think that both of those guys their games aren't perfect yet, you know, it's not as well rounded as it could be for either of them. But I mean, you just look at the athletic baseline for both of these guys. I mean, Ady Mitchell, relative athletics scorer, one of the best wide receivers that we've seen over the last you know, five six years. You know, you look at Brian Thomas junior. Okay, primarily a vertical threat type of guy. But while he is hopefully rounding out what he could be as an all around receiver, what he does now is that vertical guy is pretty dang unstoppable. And we saw that in the SEC at LSU this past year, almost two hundred and ten pounds runts of four to three, three forty yard dash. And it was funny. I was looking over some Jaden Daniels film the other day. I was looking at how he was as a quarterback when it came to throws on the run and scrambling. So I was looking at a handful of those plays, and there's just one throw where he just absolutely fits it straight into the bucket, right in the bread basket for Brian Thomas Junior. He's got about forty forty five yards before he gets the end zone. He puts his foot in the ground and he accelerates and you go, WHOA, Okay, there it is, there's the four to three three we see it. That's a difference making level speed, even at the NFL level. So you can't help but think about, all right, if your picture and that guy in Jags colors and a Jags jersey, what it could be with Trevor Lawrence looking deep for him and connecting with him in a vertical threat for this offense. So those are the two guys that consistently go to if they're gonna stick in the middle of the first round. You're hoping that one of Brian Thomas Junior or Aby Mitchell from Texas is going to be there for you. And they also, because of their athleticism, feel like Trent Bulky types. So I feel like they're gonna both be on the Jags radar.
Speaker 2: As well as Trevor Sikoma of Pro Football Focus at Tampa Bay, Trey on x JP Shadow, Jeff Logoman. They have full conversation coming soon on Jaguars dot Com Jaguars social media. Yeah, I mean those are two position groups a lot of people who are picking to the Jaguars logs, So you know, I'm still kind of on the corner train myself. I mean, you can't have too many good cornerbacks, especially with a division that's loading up on wide receiver talent. No, and the good thing is is that the team kind of filled some holes at both of those positions and free agency, and so that helps, I think going in the draft. So you feel like that, hey, if you're making that call, hey, we're comfortable with what we have. Let's just take the best player that's on our board. If it's a wide receiver, great, if it's a defensive tackle great, if it's an offensive tackle, great. I'm okay with that. Just take the best player, the ones that are going to give you the best chance to succeed, because you know, at the end of the day, when you have the best players, that's all that matters, because you can end up getting compensatory picks for other players that move on or you know, look, this team has tried to fill holes in the past by drafting for need, and it doesn't always work out and you end up having a player who never even gets to a second contract sometimes. So that's why you always draft the best players. Yeah, and I mentioned that wide receiver stat in the question to I looked that up earlier today because I knew obviously it wasn't great, and so I just tried to figure out how not great it was. Repeat that again, because I mean some people might not have heard that, and you're seeing it on your screen on Jaguars dot com. The Jaguars in rounds one, two, or three all time have selected nine wide receivers in that stretch. Only one of them has signed a second deal with the team, and that was Marquise Lee. The others, for one reason or another, never made it to a second deal or never made it through their first deal with the team, Justin Blackman being one of those twenty twelve, Well, and leave that chart up there. I mean, let's let's talk about them. RJ. Soward, some players you don't get to a second contract because look, you're you're in some kind of financial straits to where you can't afford to do that, right right, So two thousand Soward, Matt Williams, Okay, No, No, RJ. Soward, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Hey bus across the board, Bus three of them. Bus all first round picks, by the way. Oh seven, Mike Simms Walker the third round pick twenty twelve, Justin Blackman, first round pick plus he had issues. He was an incredible player when he was out there, but he wasn't out there long. Uh. Twenty fourteen, two different second round picks, Mark Eastlee and Alan Robinson, and both of those guys good football players that could have warned a second contract. So Marquise did he got They made a choice there, they picked one of the other. They chose Mark Eastley and then Alan Robinson moved on and Lee got hurt after that and pretty much was done by the way, and it was Davante Turpin whoever it was Atlanta Falcons, total cheap show. It was like a preseason season game, and he took him out at the knee. Terrible, I remember that terrible. DJ Shark twenty eighteen second wasn't by the way, it was somebody else. You're just accusing people. I can't remember it. He was CAZy. It was Caz thank you. Yeah, Chark was a good player but didn't get a second deal here. Well, good player, but really it's not like he left here and put up big numbers. Kind of been a journeyman the rest of the time. So I mean in Leviscus chanal H who just picked him up to do to add him to maybe do some kick returning stuff, because he when when they traded him to Carolina, he has really had very few catches total. Seahawks just signed seat and they were kind of pumping them up, like, oh yeah, with the new kickoff return rules. He's a good acquisition. And I'm going I mean, there's one way to find out preseason and then if it doesn't work out. But I mean that that's staggering. I mean drafts now, remember a lot of this time in the mid two thousands, this was a run first team, right, I mean, d and Maurice doesn't matter. David Garrard is a quarterback. Terrible job of drafting in rounds one, two, and three at that position. Terrible. Yeah, and in the league has become a passing league. That's the whole point. I think the reason why this team was run heavies because the draft picks that we just saw were not very good, and the quarterbacks picks weren't very cut. There's a lot of reasons why they weren't very good some years. The Jaguars are celebrating their thirtieth season this year, though, and the time to get your twenty twenty four season ticket membership is now be at the bank for every touchdown and secure your seats at Jaguars Dot catam Slash tickets or call nine oh four six three three two thousand. But you can't sit there because you're working. No I know, but I got them, gotta have them, got them. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's Ripper Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving.
Speaker 4: After the thirty business, we want to make sure that everyone has all the information that we need to have on the player, all the background information checks out, if they've had any character issues in their background.
Speaker 2: We want to make sure there security is on.
Speaker 4: All that we get all the documentation on all of these issues.
Speaker 2: What we're trying to prevent.
Speaker 4: Now draft a surprises, something comes up from the past that has sprung on us. We don't know, we don't have information on us, so now we can't make a good decision on whether we want to take this player or not. So you're getting all the background info.
Speaker 2: Probably about two weeks.
Speaker 4: To ten days before the draft, the medical team will come in and they'll go through and talk about, Hey, here are the guys.
Speaker 3: Who have issues.
Speaker 4: Here's the risk assessment on all of these guys. We can put these guys on the board or they can take them off the board based on what the doctors say. And then the final part of it is just scrimmaging out what we call the clusterbuster, the guys that are closely graded. But how do we want to stack the board in order? They're three closely graded corners, what is our preference?
Speaker 2: That's Bucky Brooks from the Huddle Up podcast available on the Official Jaguars Podcast Network, posted yesterday afternoon and welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. That was with three weeks to go. I asked Bucky, what's your checklist as a GM to be ready to go on draft night? And that was the bulk of his answer. They're the rest of it available on the pot and the draft is almost here. The Jags are almost on the clock. Join us at the Bank Thursday, April twenty fifth, where the official Dove All Draft Party presented by Donovan Air Electric and Plumbing, and the party gets started at seven o'clock. Tickets are free. Register at Jaguars dot Com slash Draft Party. Yeah, don't come to the stadium expecting you can just get a ticket on the way in. No, no, no, no, no, no, can't do that. You've got a register today at Jaguars dot Com slash Draft Party. You'll be there. I will be there. We've got a radio show to do. Yeah, draft, right, we're out the first round. Yeah, looking forward to that. I love following the draft. I mean, I'm gonna watch the draft. Why not do a radio show? And you know, I'm a little bit more vested in it, you know, because I'm watching these guys and I don't necessarily rank or stack a board, but I kind of in my mind when when I when I see a pick, then I sit there and I go, was that the right move to make? I'm like, why did they pick that guy? Or I love that pick? You know, you kind of love it because then you kind of go back in years later and look at the draft and you go, yeah, see I was right, or boy I was totally wrong on that one. Trust me, there's been many of them. I think everybody can say that. Oh yeah, I mean that's why it's every g It's a percentages game. Yeah. Now, good football teams are the ones that realize that it is a percentage game and that they're not always going to be right, and that the sooner that they admit that they made a mistake, the better off they're going to be. When teams continue to try to hold on to what is a mistake, or they continue to believe that they have the answer, we can fix it, and they ignore that position in the future, that's where teams get in trouble. They have to ruse. And I remember talking to Bill Polling about this, and I asked him, so, Bill, what's the most important thing that you've learned to the job of being a general manager? And he said, you never can be attached to your picks to the point to where you make mistakes in the future because you have such a strong belief in them. You have to believe in them. But you can only carry that belief so far. It can't be blind faith. It's got to be a smart move with the understanding that it is a percentage game. Blind faith. Great one album band, by the way, Yeah, very true. What was one of the members of that band, Eric Clapton. The most famous one of that band, Steve Winwood there with him two big name Ginger Baker was the drummer. For get who the bass player was. I don't know. Let's keep it player. It's time to keep it real here in our copic today on keeping it real. How concerned are you about the Houston Texans trading for wide receiver Stefan Diggs from the Bills. I'm kind of excited about excited really? Yeah, where where's Stefan? Where's Stefan Digg's ever been?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 2: It's been a good situation and everybody's happy. I mean they're happy when they win games exactly. Okay, he's it's kind of a it's he is a good hand when things are going well. Okay, Okay, he's not a He's not one of those players when times get tough, we're gonna circle the wagons and depend and lean on the veterans and the leadership. Is he one of those guys? JP? Do you think based on what you've seen over the last five or six years. I mean you could argue, no, yeah, he's not that guy. No, he's but he's really damn good. He's good. I don't know if he's really damn good. He's good. If I'm the Houston Texans. You're questioning it. I am not. I am First of all, I am not gonna pay him, of which they don't have a big financial responsibility. Yeah, they I'm not gonna give up for him. Yeah. The Texans apparently wiped out the final three years of the contract the reports just moments ago, and he has the ability to become a free agent after this coming season. So the Texans also took the three and a half million dollars guaranteed next season and moved it into this season. So that assures digs of twenty two and a half million guaranteed this year. The only good thing is that the Texans didn't give a whole lot up. It was really not a whole lot from a draft picks standpoint. What was it like a second, wasn't it. I don't think it was. I don't think it was that high. I thought it was later than that double check then, But I mean, I don't think it. And look, here's the reality. If he's a good player for them, if he's a happy camper. There was a twenty twenty four to sixth round pick and a twenty five fifth round pick, which has changed for a second in twenty five and the receiver, which is nothing. Yeah, okay, you're right, so the cost was virtually nothing nothing, So you're if Diggs is happy, okay, then you've got a wide receiver corp in Houston. That's oh my goodness. So if he's happy, you don't like six straight years over a thousand yards. No, I like it, but I don't like the headaches that go along with it. You remember last year we got supposed I got thrown out of the building or left the building. And then who hasn't been thrown out of a building? Seriously? Come on, I'm kidding yours. I'm kidding. I haven't lately, No, not yet anyway, Yeah, I'm I'm especially with a young quarterback. How did we play against him last year? Let me just fit with a young quarterback to where you have a really, really a strong receiver room already, and with a young receiving room, I'm not bringing that in there. If it's me, I'm not. And that's one of the reasons why Buffalo said we've had enough. Were just get this guy out of here. And I don't know what was the last straw that made the Buffalo Bills just say, look, we're done. I mean, was it him Diggs making a comment on social media about how important he was to the success of Josh Allen kind of how he made Josh Allen. I don't know if it was that or if they just had enough from last year. All right, it went over a thousand yards last year. But his last one hundred yard game was Week six. He had five of the first six games one hundred yards, eight for one twenty one against the Jags, including a touchdown right before halftime in London. Remember, no, no, I totally get it. I'm just out of I'm not a fan. Not a fan, especially when you already have two really good wide receivers and when you in free agency you could have gotten some other players that didn't have that baggage that go along with them. But if he's right, if he's in a good headspace, look out. I don't like if players can that system can They don't like if players, But can the Houston system absorb that? That's the question. It's so new to You got to have a strong locker room to have a have a player like that, you do. You gotta have strong You gotta have strong locker room, and you got to have strong coach now, Demiko Ryan strong coach. I think Demiico can handle that. Can the locker room, I don't know. Can the can that room handle that? I don't know. And I'm not saying he's a terrible bad guy, but he's one of those guys that if things are going well, yeah he's he's all for If he's getting the ball, yeah he's all for it. Yeah we're yeah, go team. If he doesn't get some targets all sudden, he's gonna mope around. And and you've got a second year quarterback and c J. Stroud. Do you want see J. Stroud to have to deal with that?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Not me. That was keeping it real as we do each and every week on xl AM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. Jaked Shadwick jan here's a fact though. Oh boy, you better get some corners, right, you got somebody's gotta defend these. If he if he's happy they've got that. Now. The Texans have got three really good wide receivers. The rookie that they had last year, Tank Dell. Yeah, I mean runs via people. It sounded fast. The big wide receiver that's got great speed. Oh god, yeah, the other guy, the other guy. Yeah, I mean, I mean they've got two burners, and now you add this guy if he's happy. Oh boy, oh boy. Uh Microsoft social media questions. When we come back, it's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you have a Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. By the way, Rick Retch was the bass player for Blind Faith our thanks to Joe Fortunado, he's player for Traffic. Yeah. After that, Yeah, it's all coming together. Most famous traffic song in your opinion, Oh, mister Fantasy by Fall, it's got a bit. Second most famous song probably not Medicated Goo, but that was a good one. Low spark, high heeled boys, that one. They have a long. Yeah, we could get into a long. We have another hour. If we had another hour, we get into this. Maybe we can do a podcast on the after show. Yeah, you got time right now? Yeah? I got time. Yeah, I guess heyes, Jaguars Happy I gotta get Joe on that podcast. True, we're on ten ten xlam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP Shadwick with Jeff Flagman, It's time for social media questions, presented or powered rather by Microsoft. We put out the cat signal earlier today. Here's the best we've come up with at shrekspositos six ' nine. How much do you think the team would realistically give up for a trade up to get one of the top three receivers and in your opinion, would it be worth it. I would think Marvin Harrison is the top receiver. I don't think you're getting there. Yeah, I don't think you need to. No. I mean, why would you want to get up, trade up and to get up into that stratosphere because it would be extremely costly. Okay, if you're going to get up there and get Harrison, you're gonna have to get to what to pick three or four? Probably four or five because the quarterbacks are probably going at least the top three, okay, the top four Okay, so four or five and then the next highest rated wide receiver according to my list, is Neighbors out of LSU. Okay, so you're looking at four, maybe six. You you might have to give up a future one to get up that high from seventeen, right, I mean because oh yeah, the future one gets valued as a current two, so you'd have to give up a two and then something and you're not gonna do that. It's not worth it. Supposedly, it's a very deep wide receiver draft. And here's the thing. I think all future drafts are going to be very deep wide receiver drafts just because of the college game. I mean, it's become a passing game. There's more developed wide receivers than there used to be in the past. I don't think you trade up to do that. I'm not a big fan of trading up anywhere AJP. Why because it's a percentages game. You need bodies right when you start trading up, then you're losing, okay, the percentages game because you're not keeping the picks and the cost is prohibitive. Yeah, it's becoming a wide receiver game in the NFL, right, but it's a different style of game. There's more space in college football, right because of the hashmarks and the way it's played, the figuring out the transition how guys can transition, and then at the line when you've got press coverage. In the NFL, it's a different world, and some wide receivers have a little bit of struggle in their first season adapting to the NFL game. Yeah, very few wide receivers coming to the league and have a Jamar Chase type of year. It doesn't happen, or a Justin Jefferson type of rookie season. It doesn't happen. So you got to have a little patience. But to answer the initial question, I'm not doing it. Okay, the cost is prohibitive. Stay where you are and pick a wide receiver then, or pick a wide receiver in round two. That's okay. I know a former Jags head coach that probably would have wanted to do it. Thank goodness, you got around two. Yeah, that's right. Okay, let's not forget it's true. They could have lost that, which would have been a mistake. That was a good move by Trent Balky letting him walk or let not signing him before the league year, not sign before the calendar year, and then so then you have to allow him to be able to hear other offers, and then that's what happens. That's what happened. You don't give up a second round pick for a guy like that. I mean, let's not forget to give it a third round pick for that's okay, because you thought you were gonna hit, it didn't hit. It was okay. Yeah, but let's not forget that there was some troubles last year. Everything didn't go perfectly. Okay, he got a thousand yards, but he got to a thousand yards because it was so many injuries. Elsewhere does he get to a thousand yards if all those injuries don't don't happen elsewhere, If all those injuries happen elsewhere, he's probably getting playoff yardage. Everybody's happy. Yeah, but the regular season numbers wouldn't have been over a thousand. Yeah, but they would have been the playoffs. And who cares? Maybe maybe not. I don't know. I don't know. Maybe I'm not in his head. Maybe he does care. I don't know. It doesn't matter, but I think the Jaguars did a good thing. You gotta cover him now too, by the way, Tennessee, Okay, Calvin, one thing about wide receivers. Give me a wide receiver that's like Tank Dell or just we were talking about the other wide receiver Nico Collins for the Texans. Those guys can fly. Okay, I worry about covering those guys. Did you ever see Colvin Ridley get great separation or run by a guy with great speed in training camp? In a game? He was wide open? Remember training camp out here, they thought he was Jerry Rice. You're talking about practice. I'm just telling you, we're really talking about the first half of the Colts game Week one. Yeah. Remember he had like one hundred yards in the first half. Did he run by anybody? He caught a touchdown in the back of the end zone, I know, but did he run by Nokay? No, he's an excellent, solid slot player. Let me, let me, let me give you this question. I can't wait. Because you have Christian Kirk and you have Calvin Redley. They're kind of similar players. Okay, okay, if you had to pick one, which one would you take? Oh? Kirk? Wait Kirk all day? Because when he went down that's when the season went really awry. He was the guy. There's your answer. He was the guy. Let's get one more question, and it's a tough one actually coming up at Jay Fix eighty eight. Who do you think is a Day two or Day three steel for this year's draft? Well, this is hard because you got to start digging into all these smaller schools and things. I'm gonna switch the question around. Okay, who do you think is the best late round steal for the Jags in their history? A guy that was a late draft pick that worked out more than you would have thought. And let's say from the fourth round on, Telvin Smith comes to mind. Excellent pick in the fifth round, great speed and watching pause and Telvin Smith in their heyday was pure joy. Gosh through some other ones. Cecil Shortz was a fourth rounder. I think, yeah, he's fourth. I wouldn't. I mean, that's not late. Yeah, gosh, that's great question. You got a minute. I don't know, it's tough. Yeah, I'd have to see the list. Elvin's a pretty good pick though, but I mean Telvin jumps out right away. Did we ever figure out another word for generational? We did not? We uh? We failed? Wow? We failed. That's unlike us being masters of the English line enguage at all. How QB of the decade, he's a quarterback of a decade of a ten to fifteen to twenty years. Every ten year somewhere in that ballpark. That's Jeff Logovan I'm JP Schadricker. Thanks to Joe Fortunado and Brent Reeber, and thanks to you for listening the Jaguars Happy Hour presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District. Florida's water It's worth saving.