Speaker 1: I Am all In Again, follow Let's Do.
Speaker 2: Luke Steiner with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions. iHeartRadio Media, iHeart Podcast. Luke Steiner One on one interview with the One, the Only Laura Peterson. She's an LA based lifestyle expert and is better known as Laura Fied to her audience of one point seven million followers on Instagram. Across her platform, Laura equips her followers with home ech hacks, easy recipes, tips on savvy shopping, and dupes right love that term, Here's Here's another dupe, lifestyle and home decor inspo, and so much more. Invented your own language, just love that. She is an Emmy Award winning TV journalist and a former network news correspondent with decades of experience. She created Laura Fied to help elevate your everyday life with tips and tricks that anyone can do. And I got to tell you, I spent an hour last night watching the videos on her Instagram page and it was just too much fun. My wife was like, what are you doing? And I because I'm never like, you know, on the phone too long doing like nothing things, and that to me was just like that was so much fun. So welcome back another episode of Luke Steiner. Today we're going to get into it with Laura Peterson. Let's go back to the start. Laura, you said you began your career first at McDonald's, and then you moved on to become a flight attendant, and then you were a journalist, all before your career in social media.
Speaker 2: Social media just happened during the end of COVID twenty one, right, Oh really not fast that I had a whole life before this, a whole life with kids and dogs and a traveling husband. And you know, I'm married to Scott Peterson, so you know I've your name and his name are so close. I was laughing this morning with my followers. I was like, I'm going to talk with Scott Patterson. I'm married to Scott Peterson. Don't want to confuse the two. So it's like I've had a whole, big life of just lifing, right, And I think that's what helped the hacks, right. I think just being the baby of nine, having kids, trying to make it happen, handbills, putting food on the table, you'll learn learn a couple of shortcuts. And my old my oldest daughter, was like, you got to put this out there, and I'm like, no one's going to watch. She's like, nobody had home ech of her generation. And that's kind of how it all started, when I realized there was this whole generation you and I had homech right. I learned a couple of things, could so a button, we could boil blah blah blah. There's a whole bunch of kids out there who are now adults who don't know how to do any of that. And that's kind of how it started. Just like, how can I be you know, useful because you're giving me forty seconds to a minute of your life and I don't want you to waste it. I don't want you to waste it. I want you to walk away, smile and go, oh my gosh, I learned something. I can save some money there. I can do that. I don't need I don't need to go buy anything. It's actionable right now in my own house. So that's it.
Speaker 1: In a nutshell, that's so great. Who does all the editing? Do you do? All those videos? You set up the shots, you do the editing as well and add the little do you have sound effects in there too? You have all these great little sound effects.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is funny. This is inside baseball. I know you're a big baseball person. So I do all my ending, all of it, all the editing, all the sound effects, everything. And I was super lucky in the news business. I was always in the union shop, so I was never allowed to touch edit equipment. I was never allowed to shoot anything, or light myself for that matter. So when I started this, I had to learn everything. I had to figure out how to light this thing? How do I bury the camera at Home Goods in their pasta section without somebody coming by? I wondering what I'm doing? Right, So I will. I will be at a store that have my phone buried in something on the ground, talking into it. Luckily, in La As you know, nobody thinks twice I like it. Another person talking about at home Goods. It's just another one. So we're lucky to be in Los Angeles because nobody blinks an eye when I run through Trader Joe's at a shopping cart, right, nobody thinks what she doing in the shopping cart and the dollar Tree. I think that's the beauty of LA because you can kind of be your own self. So I just started doing it. I just started doing it, and the editing was real, by the way, the editing curve was real. But thank you for noticing the sound effects. They give me so much joy.
Speaker 1: You know. It's those little things that just make it so much fun. So tell me how many takes do you How do you do it? Do you edit it right on your phone? No?
Speaker 2: I edit on it.
Speaker 1: I've had Okay, all right, good, Yeah, give me the top three hacks that people tell you that make the biggest impact on their lives.
Speaker 2: It has to be the mashed potato hack has to be you take the baking rack. It's like there's no feeling, there's no feeling, there's no money. It's just it's crazy. I mean, that is just crazy. I think when it comes to money saving, people love the dupes because, let's be honest, nobody, are you really getting exponential ninety percent more for that product you're buying it? So for versus the sunscreen at Trader Joe's, No, the sunscreen Trader Joe's is phenomenal. So I spend a lot of time on the dupes as well, because the money savers are are real. I just think just in general, anything that saves folks time they're blown away by because it's it's cooking is something. It's a luxury. If you have time to cook, that is a luxury. Luxury is the biggest Time is the biggest luxury at him is what I should say. The older I get, the more I realize that, and I want to get folks back time. So that's what these hacks are doing. Let's get the food on the table so you can go to the couch and watch to get more Girl reruns. Right, that's what we want to do. We want to spend less time lifing. So any hack that helps folks do that, I would say. The grill hacks. The grill hacks are big this time of year. My s'mores hacks. Those were big. Dipping the you know, the Reese's peanut butter cup and the fluff and barbecuing it delicious, delicious.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, I have to tell you have a real sense of where to put the camera. Just on the mashed potato hack. It's like all these different angles and so I was getting an overhead shot. I was getting under an overha. I mean, you know you could direct the film one day.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're so sweet, I mean you would laugh at the things the way I dary rig especially in the refrigerator with tape and rubber bands. I mean I can't. One time, I even cellophane wrapped the toilet h so that if the phone fell, because I really wanted this shot badly. I mean I've put I put my phone on the laundry machine, I put it everywhere, and I will do things to protect the phone. Because one time I was shooting in the toilet and I was like, oh my word, if this goes, all of my video's done because it lives on your phone, right. I don't have a backup. It's in the cloud, but it's on your phone. So here I'm cellophane wrapping the toilet and my husband's like, what in God's green earth are you doing? And I'm like, it's very important that I'm talking to the toilet. It's very important. And he's like, nobody cares. Nobody cares, and I was like, everybody cares. So I get hell bent on these these notions got like to your point as a as a director in my head, like I'm doing a shoot after I'm done talking with you today, and I've been thinking about it all night. I woke up in the middle of the night last night like what the opening shot here? What's the right? And then the reel that went up today. I was up late last night because I just I wasn't feeling it, and I was like, what's my opening? You know when the music, you know does it? What is my opening? So I've turned out to love it. I really love the creative side. I'm a creative. I'm not a numbers person, so don't ask me to do math. But I'm a creative. Right. Are you a creative or more of a numbers person? You have to be creative, right both? Oh my god, you're You're like a unicorn.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm as obsessed with numbers. I love them, but I'm also very creative.
Speaker 2: You are very lucky.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I bet you were good in college. I bet you were. I bet you were an excellent student.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. That's okay. Do you have an actual shot list that you make up, like we've got to get these shots or do you do it on the fly? You do how you feel? Well?
Speaker 2: Well, I do how I feel. And it's funny. A lot of stuff ends up on the cutting room floor. A lot of today's reel didn't see the light of day. But I was in Walmart and I was like, this is going to be great. I'm going to hop in here and I'm going to do this and I'm going to do that, and it's like, I get how when I start editing it, I'm like, none of.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. You understand pacing, you understand camera angles. It's just it's it's they're very cinematic. They're very short, but they're cinematic and they're fun.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right. So look, according to your social media, it looks like you know your way around Costco a little bit. And I think laurel Ion Rory would love Costco. They would love the food Core, the giant snacks. What snacks do you find irresistible and served in bulk at Costco that you think laurel Ion Rory would buy. The Red Vines, Yeah, the red not the Twizzlers. The red Vine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the really gigantic one. We can't even make it through our family till they get really hard. I think they I think they blow through those at night. The red vines are are a.
Speaker 1: Great uh huh. So okay, so my character Luke, all right, I don't think he would enjoy Costco as much. Really, So what are your Costco hacks on how to spend his little money and as little time as you can in that store?
Speaker 2: Well, Costco, So you're the point you just made was a good one. The longer you're in Costco, the more you're going to spend. And I don't mean that in a trait like, oh that makes sense, No, no, no, The Costco has this down to a science. You spend the every minute you're in Costco, they know exactly how much you're spending. So the longer you're in Costco, that's really the problem for your budget. If you don't hit Costco with the list, you're going to be screwed. I'm going to be honest. Do not try the samples. Don't try the samples. If you take a sample on site, you were up to sixty eighty percent more likely to buy it that day. Walk past the samples although they look great. Okay, So that is the biggest one, because I do get home with one or two things and I'm like, what was I thinking? Like it just happened. Happened last time. That even happens to me because Costco is an experience. It's kind of like Disneyland in a way. They've figured out they keep stuff moving. They're constantly moving stuff, so you kind of need to be on a mission. So your oat milk that Luke might have needed for the diner, you seem healthier than you know, Laura, l and Rory. It's in a different spot this week than it was last week. And I think those are the things to know. They are constantly they Costco is your friend. It is a good deal that they're gaming you. Costco is a game. So if you hit Costco and you kind of tell yourself, I'm going to beat him at this game this week, then you're good. So I kind of see it like a game. I mean, we go in, we go in and we're on a mission. We are on a mission, and do you really need the whole thing of chips? Are you going to eat those in time? It's like so we've really had to have conversations where I say we me and my family because my second daughter is a fantastic consumer. She loves loves buying, and it's just very they set things in the right spot. What you know. I love Costco because they like to act like they're all cool, right, that's the vision they give you, like everyone wants to belong to Costco. They're pretty sneaky. Costco is incredibly sneaky and they get you to open that wallet. So I would say the Costco brands are amazing. Costco brands are almost always made by a bigger name brand, right, whether it's shampoo, diapers, those are two huge ones. Huge. They never want to come out and say it. Their coffee is a home run. Used to have a deal with Starbucks. That deal has gone away. They still offer Starbucks coffee and then you might care about this because of your coffee business. But they are now paired up with the folks that are kind of the clearing house, if you will, for the peats like the higher end. So if anything, the coffee Costco has has gotten better. So the bottom line with Costco is by the Kirkland brand. It's surely made by someone pretty high up.
Speaker 1: I actually like the Kirkland golf balls.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you do. I'm sure they're made. I'm sure I've not looked into this, but I bet they're titleist.
Speaker 1: They're not bad, They're good.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, yes.
Speaker 2: I know their vodka. Their vodka is like, why would you spend the money on, you know, the gray Goose when you go buy their American vodka? Right, that's what they call it, American vodka.
Speaker 1: All right? So all right, if you were to give Luke some of your lurified advice, what would you suggest when it comes to food prep, shortcuts or must have ingredients given the diner menu?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say on the ingredients, just keep it simple. Salt and pepper. There's nothing sexier than salt and pepper in a little bit of garlic. And I think Luke has nailed that right. I don't think you have to get all all, you know, tied up. My dad owned a chain of restaurants, and first thing they would do in those restaurants before the burgers hit the grill, salt and pepper, the grill boom, meat goes down, right, That's how these season the meat. So any home home cook, that's kind of the secret. There's nothing fancy going on. Just salt, pepper the grill, then throw your meat down. But Luke's already got that down. I feel confident about it. I think another thing would be don't don't on the bread front, right, I think a lot of folks don't know you can freeze bread. Really, I don't have any bread I I you maybe might know, but I don't have any bread in my house that isn't frozen. The minute I buy it and get it home, I will double wrap it, just make sure it's protected by two layers, and then I freeze it. And I freeze it. You pull that puppy out within thirty minutes. The bread is as fresh as the day about it. So that's another great tip for Luke, so you're not toss and bread.
Speaker 3: I like that, Yes, like that.
Speaker 2: And some studies have shown I'm not a doctor. I'm not a doctor. Some studies have shown if you freeze the bread then thought it has a lower glycemic index. And if you go on to toast that frozen bread even lower glacemicgan Wow, that salt pepper frozen bread.
Speaker 1: I love it all right. Summer's coming, okay, and I know I'm going to be spending plenty of time outside grilling, you know, from the family and my friends. Let's talk about how barbecue. How to barbecue on a budget. How do you do it?
Speaker 2: Well, we did a great piece on this last year at Trader Joe's eight people, sixty bucks hot dogs, hamburgers, salad, dessert. You have to figure out what really does cost you less to buy it, right, So we did the numbers on the potato salad time money ingredients on the potato salad, which take a lot of wacky ingredients you may not have like celler receied or dill or something like that cheaper to buy it. So you just need to kind of figure out what you're going to buy and what you actually want to make. We made the salad obviously formed our own burgers, spiralized the hot dogs. You can take a don't want to say cheap. You can take a budget friendly hot dog, cut that in a spiral shape, skewer it and it grills up so great. If you've not done that, have you done that where you've stuck your hot dog and a skewer then cut it in a spiral. Oh my word, it changes and changes any hot dog on the grill, any hot dog.
Speaker 1: I am going to do that, and I am going to give you the credit.
Speaker 2: Well, when you put your ketchup mustard, relish whatever. Then it stays in the little grooves of the hot dog. Say, it's not slid en off. So it's actually makes it taste better because you get better coverage of the grill. But then you also have the little the little things. But I'd say when you're doing a budget, just assess what is cheaper to actually pick up, like a thing of a thing of cupcakes, a sheep cake from Walmart, cheaper than probably trying to whip that up. Right, focus on the things. People come to the grill for the meats. Okay, you know, Brian, Brian, your chicken and pickle juice, right right, that's a big one. That's cheap, it's easy. It's going to make your chicken taste delicious, especially if you've got especially if your wife or someone in the family likes the no skin boneless. Okay, So we do tons and tons of chicken cutlets. Weird And when I say we meet my Scott and myself, we are done with trying to barbecue that the full breast. We always cut them in half, marinate them. They cook quick and evenly, and they taste delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm tired of that too. I gotta tell you it's Yeah.
Speaker 2: We love cutlets as well, and they're always moist right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you can't overcook them. Yes, it didn't take that long. All right. Last question? Ready, ready? If you were to come into Luke's diner, Okay, what would you order? Where would you sit?
Speaker 2: I'm sitting at the counter, nundred percent. I'm setting at your covet encounter, not going behind it, Luke. I'm not gonna get behind it. But I'm said at the counter, Scott, So you know what I actually the question for you. I'd never noticed biscuits and gravy on your menu.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Notice biscuits and gravy. I would do biscuits and gravy ash browns on the side of ham. I know my diner order. I ate it almost every day growing up. Wow, okay in Kansas, thank you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: At the counter?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Let's do a hack together, please?
Speaker 2: I would love it.
Speaker 1: I want to. I want to be in a dupe or a hack.
Speaker 2: Okay, game on, I love it.
Speaker 1: You think how to do it? You think how to do it? Ill tell me when and where I'll show up. We'll do a hack. It'll be fun, yes, it will.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I gotta be in a hack.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I think it's fantastic. Made my day. Honestly, it just made my day.
Speaker 1: You were a joy. Please come back and keep us posted and uh, Laura Peterson, thank you for your time. Go check out her. You have a website, obviously you can get what's the website. You can give it glorified dot com. L O R A F I E d dot com, Lorified dot com. Check out our Instagram page. It's a lot of fun. It'll lift your spirits and it'll it'll save you money and time. Thank you so much again for coming on. Much appreciated. Thank and that's gonna do it for this version of Luke's Diner. Best fans on the planet. Thank you for all of your cards and letter and your downloads. And remember where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 3: Stay safe everyone
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.