Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Grosseo from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: In recent years, the Supreme Court has gotten what you might call bad grades from the public, and it's gotten worse since the last term. Americans are now more displeased with the Court than at any time in the last twenty six years. According to the latest Gallup Pole, only thirty three percent of the public approves of the job. The Supreme Court is doing a record low. Joining me is Bloomberg, Supreme Court reporter Greg store Greig tell us about the latest polls.
Speaker 3: There were several new polls that came out after the Court's term ended, and by far the worst of them was the Gallup Pole that showed the Supreme Court's approval rating plummeting to thirty three percent. That is easily the lowest since Gallup started surveying about the Court in two thousand and one. The number went down nine percentage points from forty two percent when they took it in September, so really a big decline there. The other polls were not as stark, but for example, a Marquette Law School polls showed the Court down two percentage points from a year earlier, or so consistent with the notion that at best, the Supreme Court is treading water.
Speaker 2: In the Gallup poll, was it a slide among Republicans that brought that number down?
Speaker 3: It was a slide mostly among Republicans. The Court's approval ratings were already really low among Democrats and independents, but among Republicans support dropped twenty one percentage points since September. It was seventy nine percent in September, fell to fifty eight percent, and with a plus or mige margin of era four percentage points, that's definitely a big, big drop.
Speaker 2: A huge drop. And you would think that the way the Supreme Court rule this term on Republican priorities like narrowing agency power, enhancing gun rights, eliminating campaign spending restrictions, that Republicans would be happy with the Court.
Speaker 3: Well, one big reason sure seems to be Donald Trump and the way he's reacted. The Court, of course ruled against him on a couple of big issues, including tariffs and his ability to fire Lisa Cook and his birthright citizenship restrictions, and Donald Trump was extremely aggressive, lashing out at even those justices he appointed, like Amy Cony Barrett and Neil Gorsich. If you recall after the tariff decision, he said, among other things, that they are an embarrassment to their families. So Republicans, of course, do respond very strongly across the board to things Donald Trump says, and sure seems like his criticisms of the Supreme Court dragged the court down with Republicans.
Speaker 2: Tell us about some of the factors that have made this Supreme Court so unpopular with Democrats and independence.
Speaker 3: There have been a lot of forces over the years that have been dragging the court down. This is not just a one year thing.
Speaker 4: This has been happening over the course of a couple of decades.
Speaker 3: And of course we're seeing institutions in general have their approval ratings falling. But you have a combination of a court that seems more partisan, and indeed they are more partisan in the sense that it's the Republican justices who are now the most conservative and the Democratic justices who are the most liberal. You have things like the ethical controversies that we had a few years ago that were very much in the news, Clarence Thomas accepting trips paid for by a Republican mega donor. You have the way the Court acquired this conservative supermajority, with Republicans holding one seat open after Antonin Scalia died and then rushing to Ville another one when Ruth Pader Ginsburg died. So there's kind of a perfect storm. Well, I haven't even mentioned overturning Roe v. Wade, which obviously was a decision that was a high profile and among many people, extremely unpopular. So a combination no factors have kind of gotten us to this point.
Speaker 2: So there were two decisions where the Supreme Court went against President Trump on the tariffs and birthright citizenship, in the sea of decisions where they helped move forward his agenda on the regular docket and on the shadow docket. Some people are pointing to that, even Justice Kagan are pointing to those two as well. We're holding the line here.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I did think that Justice Kagan's remarks this summer were very interesting because after the ruling that overturned Ruby Wade three years ago, she pretty much called in to question the Court's legitimacy in a couple of public appearances, saying that when the Court is overturning cases, isn't being consistent that it can call in the question its own legitimacy. So the fact that she was in at least in some sense standing up for the court this summer, I did think was notable. Having said that, she was very strongly in descent from a number of the decisions you mentioned where the conservative majority moved the law in a particular direction, in a way that conservatives have been hoping for for quite a long time.
Speaker 2: Is anybody else buying that argument that, you know, oh, well, we held the line on these two cases, where if they hadn't held the line, it would have been shocking.
Speaker 4: You know, dude.
Speaker 3: I hate to say this as somebody who covers the Supreme Court spends all my waking hours, or at least my work hours, thinking about how to communicate what the Supreme Court is doing. But the truth is a lot of Americans don't pay attention to what the Supreme Court is doing unless it's one of these mega cases like overturning Roe v. Wade, or deciding a presidential election or something like that. So, you know, people often have impressions of the court they've heard a little bit. If you look at these polls, it's kind of remarkable how little people have heard about some cases that I think everybody's heard about for a great citizenship terrorist things that you mentioned, So you know what people think of the Court. Maybe in a lot of cases more impression is stick then something that is really tied to particular decisions that came out.
Speaker 2: And in your story you write that the justices have said in public that they don't consider polls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've said that over and over in a variety of different contexts. So one thing I mentioned in the story was in the Dobbs rulanguage overturned Roe v. Wade, Justice Alito mentioned that he put it, the judicial branch derives its legitimacy not from following public opinion, but from deciding by its best lives whether legislative enactments of the popular branches of government comport with the Constitution. Other justices have said similar things. On the other hand, we discussed Justice Kagan talking about the Court's legitimacy the court, and I would venture to say all the justices understand that their legitimacy is really important as a country, as a republic, we need people, both average people and other members of the government to accept Supreme Court decisions even if they don't agree with them. We need people to be like al Gore, who can say, after the bushby Gored decision, I disagree strongly, but I accept it. Otherwise, you know, we run the risk of chaos where despite what the Supreme Court says, people say, we are going to go off in our own direction, interpret the Constitution our own way.
Speaker 2: I know they say that they don't care about the polls in public, but I have this feeling like some of them must be a little bit upset about the fact that they're at record lows and that, you know, the public is seeing them as politicians in robes. I mean, they come out and defend themselves, and you see, you know, Justice Roberts trying to emphasize the number of unanimous decisions and also talk about we don't overturn precedent as much as some past justices. I mean, it seems like they're doing a lot of explaining.
Speaker 3: It is certainly the case that if you went to any of the nine of them and said you're acting like a politician, they would tell you, in very strongly worded terms, why they don't think they're a politician, why they are just interpreting statutes and interpreting the Constitution the way they think they should be interpreted.
Speaker 2: I am puzzled by one of the polls that found that a majority approved of the decisions the Court made while not approving of the Court itself.
Speaker 3: One thing that to me is fascinating about these polls is that even as the Court is becoming less popular, it's decisions, at least in this last term, were actually quite popular. So if you look at the Marquette poll, they asked about thirteen recent Supreme Court decisions, and a majority of people said the justices had made the right decision in eleven of those cases. So there is when you ask people about the particular issues the Supreme Court is deciding, there is some support for what the Supreme Court is doing, even as the Court as a whole, as an institution, goes down in the public mind.
Speaker 2: And there have been calls for a long time from liberal groups to either add members to the court, packing the court, or set term limits. Do you think that come twenty twenty eight in the presidential election, we're going to be hearing more about making changes to the court in some way.
Speaker 3: I expect very much we will hear a lot about this. On the Democratic side. We already have pee foota Judge and Kamala Harris as to prospective candidates who are pushing the idea of adding seats to the Supreme Court. Others are talking about things like term limits, and of course right now it's just talked because Democrats are not in a position to do that. But you don't have to squit too hard into the future to imagine a world where Democrats might have control of both Congress and the White House, and then the question would be will they do something about the Supreme.
Speaker 4: Court now that they have that power.
Speaker 3: And you know, we may see a dividing line among Democrats. Some who will say, we need to do something now, this is.
Speaker 4: The thing that will you know, make an instant.
Speaker 3: Change adding seats to the Supreme Court, and others who say, look, if we do it when we have the power to do it, as soon as Republicans get back in power, they're going to do it.
Speaker 4: And that's not good for anybody.
Speaker 2: You talk to Jesse Wegman of the Brennan Center and he said, this court is not going to change its behavior. It was instituted precisely for this behavior. And the way I think you saw this is structurally, which is what we've been talking about I mean last term, the conservative majority certainly changed the law. Are any cases coming up next term that might give them the same kind of opportunities.
Speaker 3: We don't yet have the boundary pushing cases that we had last term, So I would say birthright, citizenship, Tariff's, Lisa Cook. All of those were Donald Trump doing something that a couple of years ago nobody was really thinking a president might be able to do. And we don't yet have those cases, but we might. You know, so many of these cases at the lower court level get up to the Supreme Court through the emergency or shadow docket and can present that sort of issue. That's what happened with Lisa Cook. So it is certainly possible. For the most part, we have seen the way I think about it is, we have seen this court do most or all of the things that Ronald Reagan would have wanted, that the kind of Reagan Revolution, the notion of let's you know, get back to our originalist interpretation of the Constitution, let's bolster the power of the presidency, and you know, reduce the role of race in our in our governments. All those things that are long standing Conservative priorities. The Court has been willing to do those things. It's where Donald Trump has sort of created his own priorities that maybe aren't things that the Reagan.
Speaker 4: Folks would have thought of. That's where the Court is sometimes drawing that line.
Speaker 2: Finally, there was a rumor that Justice Alito was going to retire last term, and he has said that he is not retiring this term.
Speaker 5: At least he.
Speaker 3: Did say that, I can only tell you what words he used. This was in an interview with the editorial features editor of the Wall Street Journal, so sort of a friendly audience. Justice Alito told them, obviously, I'm here for another term. And the reason that we're talking about this now is normally, if a Supreme Court justice is going to retire, he or she does that at the end of a term. It's the least disruptive for the court. You know, if you leave in the middle of the term, then you end up with, you know, maybe only an eight justice court. And so when Justice Alito didn't retire at the end of this last term, normally, when with thak Okay, he's going to stick around for another term. But because there is at least the prospect that Democrats could take over the Senate in the November midterm election. There has been some talk that if that happened, maybe Justice Alito, who's very conservative, might say, or at least come under pressure to say, I'm going to retire now so that the lame duck Congress with the republic controled Senate can confirm my successor These comments seem to preclude that, obviously things can change, But he at least sounded, from what I can read in this story, as somebody who's not at all planning on leaving in November.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for taking the time, Greg, That's Bloomberg, Supreme Court reporter Greg Store. Coming up next is the NFL breaking anti trust law in its negotiations with streaming services. This is Bloomberg. It's a tough time for football fans who live outside their favorite teams home market. The rise of streaming services has ended the era when sports fans could easily follow their favorite teams on a handful of broadcasts and cable channels without buying special subscriptions. But the NFL has signed deals with multiple services, creating a bewildering schedule and a steep cost to watch games at home as fans have to subscribe to multiple streaming services in addition to a traditional cable or satellite bundle. During a Judiciary subcommittee hearing in June, Republican Congressman Jim Jordan described the challenge football fans face trying to watch their favorite team.
Speaker 1: Here's what the fan deals with today.
Speaker 5: In our report, a green Bay Packers fan who lives in Dallas, Texas, grew up in green Bay, loves the Packers, wants to watch Packers grew up in Dallas, Texas. For the twenty twenty six season, the Packers are scheduled to play eight games on Fox, two games on Amazon Prime Video, two games on Netflix, two games on NBC, one game on ESPN, one game on CBS, and one on schedule game that is left to be determined by the NFL. The fan will need access to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, NBC, and ESPN to see the seven game schedule for those services. For the nine games schedule for Fox and CBS, the fan will likely need Fox and CBS because some of the games will be on broadcast television in Dallas. The fan will also likely need Sunday ticket just to watch some subset of the nine Fox CBS games, because the fan will not know which games will and will not be on broadcast until the NFL and relevant networks released the broadcast maps the week of the games. That's what they got to navigate. That's what they got to navigate.
Speaker 2: The Justice Department has opened an anti trust investigation into whether the NFL is breaking anti trust law in its negotiations with streamers and driving up the costs for consumers. My guest is an expert in anti trust, Harry First, a professor at NYU Law School. Harry, some of our Bloomberg reporters looked into this, and so for a Philadelphia Eagles fan living outside of Pennsylvania to get all the games the Eagles are in, they would need Sunday Ticket at three hundred and seventy eight dollars, YouTube at eighty three dollars, Peacock at thirty three dollars, Fox Won at twenty dollars, and Prime Video at nine dollars, for a grand total of five hundred and twenty three dollars. Yet, the NFL claims that eighty seven percent of its games are primarily shown on free over the air broadcast TV.
Speaker 1: I mean, I assume that that's true, you know. Yeah, So if you want to just want to watch the Eagles. I mean, you know it's going to be on free over the air television. But if you want to watch away games, you know, if you want to just sit there on a Sunday and watch every game out of your market, you're gonna have to pay for it. If you want to watch every time the Eagles play, you know in LA, it's not going to be on Channel ten in Philadelphia. So yes, if you fly to LA, it'll be there for free too, but not exactly free. So I don't know the number. It's one of those numbers that will convince no one. Obviously, a lot of people are buying the Sunday ticket to watch out of market football games because they just love sitting there watching their team wherever they are and other teams, you know, because there are teams all around the country that you can't see on over the AIRTV unless you pay extra for it.
Speaker 2: The investigation is reportedly focused on this antitrust loophole in the Sports Broadcasting Act that allows the NFL and other leagues to negotiate media deals collectively on behalf of their teams. And that's the same loophole that the Congressional Subcommittee was looking into in June.
Speaker 1: So the lawyer in me doesn't like to call them loopholes, likes to call them exemptions, you know, in nineteen sixty one. Yes, it's interesting to try to think about it, and I'm not certain I fully understand why the over the air broadcasters went along with this because they were I think relatively more powerful than the NFL in nineteen sixty one, which was, you know, not the juggernaut we know today. So they allowed the NFL well to pool all their TV rights free of any anti trust issues. The laws in some ways less settled then, and you know, maybe it was a little less clear, but they really would have had some problems, and there had been litigation, and I think everyone thought it was in their best interest to negotiate with a single source have this brand NFL football, which then I guess the TV networks could sell to advertisers because you know, that's that's third game. So in that sense, it was a good deal for those two powerful sides, you know, who then got this through Congress. I doubt that the fans showed up for legislative fearings, and you know, in the end, the fans didn't pay directly because those are over the air quote unquote free broadcasts, but you know, someone picks up the tab for the advertising, so consumers do pay.
Speaker 2: You had the Congress hearing in June, and of course politicians on both sides question whether the deals now violate that law. Do you think they violate that law?
Speaker 1: Well, in a technical sense, the question is whether the exemption applies to some of the current deals. So if it's a deal that involves broadcasting rights where the broadcast is paid for by sponsors in otherwise advertisers supported, then that comes within the Sports Broadcasting Act. But the current deals that the NFL's negotiating are with you know platforms are with streaming platforms, pretty hard to see how they're within the wording of the exemption from the Sports Broadcasting Act. So the Sports Broadcasting Act wouldn't give the NFL an exemption. They'd have to go straight under the any Trust laws and then the questions whether violates the any trust laws And they got pretty much socked in the Sunday ticket litigation with a pretty clear binding from a jury. So the pulling of rights apparently keeps some of the teams from negotiating separately to sell their broadcasting rights to you know, maybe other streaming platforms, or put them on YouTube where you know you would just if you didn't want to get a whole package, all you wanted to do was follow the Eagles. You would want to get a package just of Eagles games. But that can't happen now. So they would be in for some litigation if they don't fall within that exemption.
Speaker 2: And why did the judge toss out that almost five billion dollar jury verdict against the NFL in the Sunday Ticket class action lawsuit?
Speaker 1: So there are two answers to this. The first answer that I often would give in class was it's the zeros. I get that. That's not a legal answer, but this was probably the largest plane of verdict, certainly an anti trust maybe in any plane of verdict, but four point seven billion dollars before trebling is a lot of money. Now, that can be a reason for knocking down the amount, but that's not what the judge did. He disqualified two of their experts on damages that he had actually qualified at the trial. So it seems a little like, well, let me find a problem with this trial. And interestingly, he did not find a problem with liability in itself. It was on the damages I think. So that case has sort of has been sitting before the Court of Appeals now for a while waiting for a decision.
Speaker 2: So what so the Justice Department is launching an investigation into whether the NFL and the leagues are breaking antitrust law in their negotiations with streamers. Is that different from the Sunday Ticket.
Speaker 1: I don't know exactly what negotiations they have in mind. I mean the Sunday Ticket litigation involves an agreement to distribute and also they add it with direct TV first and then with YouTube that if you wanted access to these games, you would buy it and it would be streamed on YouTube. Now there are other they're licensing Netflix, Amazon, so they're licensing a bunch of different platforms. But the problem is the same without regard to which platform it is. It's the question of, you know, is the NFL a single entity or are they a group of however, many teams, thirty two teams all coming together and agreeing that they're going to sell their rights jointly, their rights because each one has the right, you know, the legal right the copyright to the games that they're involved with. So they're pooling all the rights to make a single product called NFL football. So is that coming together is an agreement? And that section one of the Sherman Act, Now, whether that's lawful or not, is something that the NFL presumably would fight. These sports leagues haven't had a great track record in saying, gee, we're coming together for your good. So I don't know. Now when you say the Justice Department is investigating, the careful approach that I would suggest is there are reports that the Justice Department is investigating, we really don't know what they're doing. And frankly, I'm not sure you know. And looking back at the anti trust history here, I don't think the government has necessarily spent its prosecutorial resources worrying about competition in professional sports. They've usually left it to the people with money in the game, the owners, fans, consumers, things like that. So why are then interested in this? Why do you think? Well, you know the answer. The staff report you just mentioned, the House and HRUST Subcommittee staff report starts out with the quote from the President there's something very sad when they take football away from many, many people. He said that in May. And I'm glad that he has empathy for, you know, the cost of living.
Speaker 2: I'm going to refrain from making a comment on that, Harry, Harry. This Justice Department has not been shall we say, strong on anti trust enforcement. They walked away from the Ticketmaster Live Nation trial and left it to the States, who then won. They also walked away from the Paramount Warner Brothers Discovery merger, leaving it to the States to sue. Do you think they would really sue the NFL.
Speaker 1: I don't really see any government group doing anything here because they're just going to rub some important economic interests the wrong way. I mean, I don't see Congress doing anything. The House report didn't say, oh my god, we have to repeal this statute or oh my god, we have to amend it, or oh my god, we have to do something, and they said, oh my god, we've got to stand here and look, we've got to keep watch and thank you very much for going on recess. I mean, I don't know. Maybe they've got a big investigation going, but there are a lot of big mergers going on in the economy, and although private parties get involved in those, occasionally, that's really fall into the government to do something about, not that they're doing a lot about them, but at least they've got to review them and they're involved. So they have important or stuff that demands government attention, maybe more than this because we have private enforcement, and the private enforcement's been.
Speaker 2: At work, right, So there might be a private anti trust suit.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I mean that's you know, that's what Sunday Ticket litigation was, and you know, would not be surprising if there were.
Speaker 2: So we shall see. Stay with me. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Lawn Show, Paramount is trying an interesting tactic to try to get a resolution of the anti trust case filed by twelve states to block the Paramount Warner Brothers Discovery merger. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg. Let's turn now to the Paramount Warner Brothers Discovery merger. So, twelve states Democratic led states, led by California's Attorney General Rob Bonta, are suing to block the merger, and David Ellison told Paramount senior executives last week that he's prepared to relocate Paramount and Warner Brothers too if the merger is successful, so exiting California. If the California ag doesn't agree to negotiate a settlement in the case. What do you think about a threat like that to a state AG who's suing you.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that helps him in any particular way. First of all, it doesn't really do anything about the litigation. So I assume that California and the other states whuper filed would still have jurisdiction in one way or the other over this merger because they've got movie theaters, So I don't know how it affects that. So it seems just like a political threat. I guess he's threatening to destroy Hollywood in some ways. I feel like the discussion of this is that Ellison and the I don't know who's advising him, they just don't see to want to see the anti trust issues, and they just don't want to see this as a piece of real litigation. They're entranced by Bonta standing in front of the Hollywood sign and you know that's that's theater, but it's not the litigation. So it's just hard to know what he thinks is going to move these attorneys general. But moving is not going to be moving these attorneys general.
Speaker 2: That only takes that one Attorney General. It doesn't take any rest.
Speaker 1: So that he's going to have James to negotiate with. Okay, Yeah. The bottom line problem is this is a case that, as it's written, is really hard to settle. I mean, you either win or lose this litigation, and maybe he doesn't want to acknowledge that of something, and to some extent he's started talking past litigation. But either they're going to win or lose this litigation. I don't see it settling. You know, maybe in the end they'll just have to restructure this deal.
Speaker 2: What about the paramount has agreed to sign contracts with the major theater chains guaranteeing they'll release thirty movies a year in cinemas if they acquire Warner Brothers three year agreements.
Speaker 1: Great. So, first of all, this is not the kind of thing that convinces any legitimate, any trust enforcer of anything. So any time you say it's a three year contract, and any trust enforcer says, okay, what about the fourth year. You want to merge forever and you're giving me something for three years, it's not all that good. Second is, so, what's the deal you're promising thirty movies? Doesn't say these are thirty you would not have made. That was an earlier claim. Thirty movies you promise to distribute in these two major chains. Rate come look at my coalition and ask whether they've got any movie theaters that are not in these chains and are not part of this deal. They'll love this so great. Now you've hooked up with the two major distributors for exclusive distribution of your films. I think I'll throw that in as another count of any competitive behavior. I really don't get it. You know, if he said we promised to make deals with all of the movie theaters in the United States, you will give a ninety day window that we won't put these movies online anything we make that looks a little different. I'm not sure what it gets in particularly, But again this is I don't get it.
Speaker 2: If you don't get it, then it's not gettable. So does it matter that the UK Authority gave the deal to go ahead, So.
Speaker 1: I think that's a plus for the deal. The UK Authority was worried about editorial controls, and that's not part of this complaint. So in some ways, I mean, it's sort of ironic. This is not what the States are complaining about. They are not complaining about CNN being run by CBS even Oh again, Ellison said, oh, that's what you're upset about, and Bonta says, not us. You look in the complaint, see it, and hasn't mentioned to me that was one of the political things that was pushing the merger. So it's really ironic that Ellison wants to pen that on the States. The States want to say, not me, We are so clever, we are not going there, folks.
Speaker 2: Well, as you said last time we talked, it was a well drawn complaint by a powerhouse antitrust lawyer that the state of California hired, so they appeared to have made the right choices. Always a pleasure, Harry, thanks so much. That's Professor Harry First of NYU Law School. And that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law podcasts. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com, slash podcast Slash Law, and remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg