Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And today on Stuff to Blow Your Mind, we are going to begin a couple of episodes on the subject of blubber. I am surprisingly fired up about blubber. I don't know exactly why, but I'm like acheing to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I think a big part of it is that, if nothing else, blubber is just a funny word. It's just a funny sounding word. I had to look into it a little bit before we proceeded here, apparently stemming from the late fourteenth century blobber, which describes bubbles, bubbling, or foaming, often pointed out like the Middle English for foam, and this also influences the verb blubber, as in two blubber. So yeah, at the very least, blubber is just a funny word to think about and say.
Speaker 3: Does the word blob come from the same root as blubber?
Speaker 2: I believe it does.
Speaker 3: Wow, So it might not surprise you if you know anything about marine mammal anatomy. To hear that, I started thinking about Blubber to cover on the show because we've come into the winter months here in the Southeastern United States and I have felt that desire again to wrap myself in coziness, to find barriers against the cold. And this of course got me thinking about Blubber, which turned my mind once again to one of my favorite weird novels to quote and explore on stuff to blow your mind. That is Herman Melville's Moby Dick. We've talked about passages from Moby Dick on the show before, often related to whale anatomy, but sometimes on other strange subjects. I know we did a bunch of stuff about Moby Dick when I did an episode with Lauren and Annie of of the podcast Savor on Ambergris or Ambergrise uh, and we talked about Moby Dick when Rob, when you and I did some episodes on whale spout on like what exactly is going on there when you see that you know, the whale blast, what's coming out? And does it burn the skin? Does it poison people? As alleged and Moby Dick.
Speaker 2: I like that you have singled it out as a weird novel.
Speaker 3: Oh, it totally is weird.
Speaker 2: I think it is easy. It's given its its notoriety, and you know, everyone has heard of Moby Dick, and a lot of people have. If you haven't read it, you've at least seen a film adaptation of it, hopefully one of the good ones. You might miss the fact that, yeah, it is very weird in many regards.
Speaker 3: You know, it's incredibly weird and what i'd say, one of the weirdest books that people read in school probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: We also talked about it briefly in Wrath of Khan, our Weird House cinema episode, because of course it too takes a hefty shot of Moby Dick.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, but of course relating to blubber specifically, in chapter sixty eight of Moby Dick, the narrator Ishmael meditates on the concept of whale skin and whale blubber, which he calls the blanket. Now, as we've talked about before, the whale facts and Moby Dick are of varying accuracy when reconciled against modern science. Sometimes they're pretty spot on, other times they're way off. Some of the main observations in this chapter, as we'll discuss are correct, mainly in that Ishmael observes that the whale's body is surrounded by a thick layer of blubber, and that one of the blubber's main purposes is related to insulation the retention of body heat. That's not the only thing that blubber does in marine mammals, but that's a big part of it. It's one of the most important things it does. So first he marvels at the incredible size and quantity of blubber within the whale, which, in the example of a single sperm whale that he's talking about, boils down into one hundred barrels of oil. He says, one hundred bear of oil from a single whale, and that's not even the entire mass of its outer skin or integument layer. And he says that that gives the mind a hint of the quote enormousness of that animated mass overall. And he also observes the texture and the makeup of the blubber, which is quote something of the consistence of firm, close grained beef, but tougher, more elastic and compact, and ranges from eight or ten to twelve and fifteen inches in thickness. He also remarks curiously when he's looking at the outer skin of the sperm whale. He says that the sperm whale's skin is quote all over, obliquely crossed and recrossed, with numberless straight marks in thick array, something like those in the finest Italian line engravings, which he later also compares to Egyptian hieroglyphics. He especially makes the connection to the mysteriousness of the hieroglyphics and the mysteriousness of the marks the whale's body. I think we now know that this is actually a common thing you do see on the bodies of sperm whales, that they will have lines or sometimes even circular scars over their bodies, which can in part come from battles with the squid they hunt, can come from running into things, butting, fights with other whales, all kinds of scrapings and accidents, maybe sat yes, mating, maybe other contact with fishing equipment or whatever. The whales can get a lot of scars. And I love thinking of these scars on the outside of the sperm whale skin as like a mysterious language to be deciphered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: But then Finally he comes to marvel at the blubber as a heat retaining adaptation within the whale, which he kind of connects two thoughts about human character. So I'm going to read a more extended passage here. Ishmael says, quote, it is by reason of this cozy blanketing of his body that the whale is enabled to keep himself comfortable in all weathers, in all seas, times and tides. What would become of a greenland whale, say, in those shuddering icy seas of the north, if unsupplied with his cozy surtout. Surtout is a type of coat from the time. By the way, so his cozy surtout true. Other fish are found exceedingly brisk in those hyperborean waters. But these, be it observed, are your cold blooded, lungless fish, whose very bellies are refrigerators, creatures that warm themselves under the lee of an iceberg, as a traveler in winter would bask before an infire, whereas like man, the whale has lungs and warm blood freeze his blood and he dies. How wonderful it is, then, except after explanation, that this great monster, to whom corporeal warmth is as indispensable as it is to man. How wonderful that he should be found at home, immersed to his lips for life in those Arctic waters. And then a little later he says, it does seemed to me that herein we see the rare virtue of a strong individual vitality, and the rare virtue of thick walls, and the rare virtue of interior spaciousness. Oh man, admire and model thyself after the whale. Do thou too remain warm among ice? Do thou too live in this world without being of it? Be cool at the equator, Keep thy blood fluid at the pole, like the great dome of Saint Peter's, and like the great whale. Retain o man, in all seasons a temperature of thine own beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love it. I especially want to get back to that immerse to his lips for life in those Arctic waters.
Speaker 3: Later on in this episode, now I mentioned that this chapter I was just quoting from is called The Blanket Chapter sixty eight. The blanket. The blanket referring to the coating of blubber around the whale's body. There is actually a much earlier part of the story which struck me as abstractly and yet powerfully can to this chapter, and this earlier part is not about whale anatomy at all, but about a literal blanket. And it seems also related somehow to the seasonal mind state I've been in that got me thinking about blubber. So this is chapter eleven, much earlier. It's called night Gown, and the context in the story is that because of overcrowding at a boarding house on Nantucket, Ishmael he's just arrived there and he has been forced to share a room, and not to share a room, to share a bed at the boarding house with the Polynesian harpooneer quek Weeg. And he's initially much annoyed by these circumstances, but then after some reflection and some experiences together, Ishmael comes to not just tolerate, but admire and even adore quek Weeg, and they become best of friends, in Ishmael's words, a cozy, loving pair on their honeymoon. So in the Nightgown chapter, Ishmael writes of sharing a bed in a blanket at the boarding house with quik Weeg. He says, first they try to sleep, then they're not able to sleep. And then finally, he says, quote, we became very wakeful, so much so that our recumbent position began to grow wearisome. And by little and little we found ourselves sitting up, the clothes well tucked around us, leaning against the headboard, with our fore knees drawn up close together, and our two noses bending over them, as if our knee pans were warming pans. We felt very nice and snug, the more so since it was so chilly out of doors, indeed out of bedclothes too, seeing that there was no fire in the room. The more so, I say, because truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold. For there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely. By contrast, nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and you have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable anymore. But if, like Queequeg and me in the bed, the tip of your nose or the crown of your head slightly chilled, why then indeed, in the general consciousness you feel most delightfully and unmistakably warm. For this reason, a sleeping apartment should never be furnished with a fire, which is one of the luxurious discomforts of the rich. For the height of this sort of deliciousness is to have nothing but the blanket between you and your snugness and the cold of the outer air. Then there you lie, like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.
Speaker 2: Beautiful? Beautiful. Do you think that the two characters were talking about any of this as they said in bed? Oh?
Speaker 3: Maybe, I don't know. I don't remember at this point in the story how extensively the two characters are communicating across it. I don't remember what to what extent. There's a language barrier at the beginning of their friendship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been said, if I could have just said, Hey, isn't this delicious? I'm glad we don't have a fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But no, I think there really is something to that that there is a way that it is much cozier to be warm under a blanket in a cold room then to be under a blanket in a warm room. I mean, in a way that's almost obvious.
Speaker 2: But yeah, No, I'm a big blanket fan. If it's too hot, I'm a little bit sad that I don't get to cover up with blankets more. Yeah, and then when it's too cold, I'm just sad in general. So the one warm stark, Yeah, I know what he's getting at here.
Speaker 3: But I thought that this was beautiful and insightful, and to some extent it makes me think also of the anatomy of the whale, thinking of the whale's body as a blanket, the idea of creatures that carry their blanket with them into the icy waters. And if you apply the same reasoning, you know, as we'll discuss in the anatomy of the whale, the whale is not coated in every single part of its body by the blubber. So I wonder what the sensation of the whale is. You know, it has blubber mostly all around its body, but maybe not fully in the flippers or something. So does it have those little exposures to the iciness around it? What does it feel like to the whale? Does the whale have that sensation in the cold it feels with the flippers or some little parts of its body of the one warm spark in the heart of an Arctic crystal, except it doesn't have to wrap itself in the blanket. The blanket is under its skin.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Yeah, I mean, another thing about blubbers we'll discuss is that blubber is not uniform thickness over the entire body of the whale. It's going to vary in thickness depending on where you're looking at. So I know it's a human thing, I guess, But anytime I see a creature that has evolved to thrive in the cold corners of the world, it doesn't depend on its technology to do so. Like humans, I always just kind of, on some like non thinking level, assume that they're just really called and miserable all the time. But of course that would be it'd be that's rather unreasonable with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder if that's the equivalent of a tropical lizard looking at us, being at you know, seventy two degrees in the shade, and thinking we must be miserable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, and the rest of the series, we're going to be exploring blubber as biology and also some things about blubber in hue and culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of that will probably be in the second episode. Yes, this episode will be more about what blubber is and what it is to a specific whale species.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what it is and what it is not.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So the best source I found rob in providing a scientific overview of blubber is actually an extensive, in depth entry in the Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals from two thousand and nine from Academic Press. This article is by a well known marine biologist named Sarah J. Iverson, who is affiliated with Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia. So I thought maybe we could start off by going through this entry talking about some of the points that Iverson raises and branch out for discussion at various places as we go along. All right, so what is blubber. Blubber is fat, yes, but it is not just fat. It is not just like the adapose tissue of other mammals in the world. Blubber is, in Iverson's words, a quote dense, vasculared layer of fat beneath the skin. So it is a special type of fat tissue that is a characteristic trait of marine mammals. It is found only in the mammals of the sea. There are not really fully land dwelling animals that have blubber, so all cetaceans meaning whales, porpoises and dolphins, all cyrenians like manatees and dugongs, and all pinnipeds meaning seals have blubber. Iverson notes a couple of exceptions of marine or semimarine mammals. Things you might think of as marine mammals or semimarine mammals that don't have blubber. Polar bears and sea otters don't have blubber strictly defined, though obviously they do have and rely on fat. Polar bears tend to store a lot of subcutaneous fat, which is used to insulate the body, but it doesn't have the special structural and chemical features found in blubber. It's more like regular terrestrial carnivore fat, but they do keep a lot of on their body when they can to help stay warm. Blubber is an incredibly important adaptation for marine mammals. It makes marine mammal life possible, and in some species, at particular stages of life or times of the year, blubber can make up fifty percent of the animal's total body mass. So you know some whales you meet are half blubber. In part, blubber serves the same purpose as fat in other organisms, so it stores food food energy that can later be burned to support the body's energy needs when food is scarce. But it also does other important things for marine mammals. Most importantly, probably blubber is insulation. It protects marine mammals body heat against the often extreme cold of their watery environments, and it does so in particular interesting and dynamic ways. We'll talk about that more as we go on, but blubber also aids in buoyancy and has interesting functions in help with locomotion, maybe in some cases streamlining the body in the water, in other cases even serving as a kind of spring. We can talk more about that later. And also you can learn a lot about a marine mammal by looking at its blubber. At the species level, you can learn about its evolutionary history and environmental specialization, and at the individual level, you can learn a lot of things about like what this animal has been eating and where it's been foraging by looking at its blubber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and another factor that I think we already kind of alluded to in terms of like the scarring on a whale is that blubber does provide some level of protection, some level of armor, which can can seem a little counterintuitive at first, because we think of an animal's armor, we think of hard armor. We think of hard, unfeeling protection between the organism and its many threats, And obviously blubber is not quite a hard shell. But on the other hand, it can sustain a fair amount of damage from an animal's environment, so it does have to a limited degree some sort of an armor role here as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even in non marine mammals, there are cases where fat plays an important role in protective cushioning, you might say, even if it's not like, you know, not like plate armor, but it does play a protective role in some types of cushioning basically patting. So getting into the structure of blubber. Blubber is subcutaneous fat, meaning that it's stored around the outside of the body, just under the skin. And this is in contrast to visceral fat, which is stored deeper in the body cavity surrounding the organs. Blubber sits just under the skin, kind of loosely enveloping the underlying layer of muscles. And as I mentioned, blub is not just fat. It is this special type of fat tissue which is shaped by evolution for a very special purpose, primarily that of a dynamic thermal insulator. So in most marine mammals, the blubber layer is a continuous covering for almost the entire body, with some exceptions like the appendages. Often the flippers won't have blubber. Though it does tend to cover the whole body, it doesn't cover it evenly everywhere, so the thickness and structure of the blubber layer differ on different parts of the body for reasons we'll probably get into later.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: While blubber is not just regular fat tissue, it is still basically fat tissue. It's similar to regular fat, also known as adipose tissue, in that it is made mainly of fat cells called adipocytes. Atopocytes are energy storage cells that first form in an immature ste age without fat or without much fat stored in them. They're initially mostly protein and water, and then as the animal is able to take in more food energy than needed to sustain its metabolism, the extra energy is stored as lipid molecules. In the now mature fat cell as atiposites accumulate these liquid droplets for storage. They swell up in size, so adipocytes are very stretchable cells. Their cells that can grow and shrink as needed. When they fill up with fat, they stretch and grow. When fat stores are depleted, they can shrink back down to size.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Humans, as humans, we tend to have a very toxic relationship just with the word fat, almost to the point where it colors or creates a barrier to understanding its necessity for an organism, or or at least that's the way I have often been found in anytime I'm reading about like the actual purposes of fat, fatty tissue, I'm like, oh, of course this is actually super important. But we're often just coded to, you know, buy the media and culture to have to feel a certain way about even the idea of a fat in our body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I can see that. Well, I would encourage you out there to try to break that shackle in your brain, like not to associate, you know, any kind of negative cultural ideas or whatever with the idea of fat biology. Like, fat is really interesting tissue and it's really important, you know, it's almost I would almost say it's like the biological equivalent of wealth in a way. It's like, you know, something that can be accumulated to be used later and serves important purposes along the way. So these fat cells, they can they can grow and shrink as needed, and in most atipos tissue, these fat cells are packed densely together and held together by what's called an extracellular matrix, a kind of honeycomb mesh or three D net made out of things like collagen fibers. Collagen is the structural protein found in animal skin and in connective tissues. A lot of cooks will be familiar with collagen because structural collagen is a major part of what makes certain cuts of meat tough, Like tough muscles usually have a lot of collagen connective tissue in them, and so these are the cuts that typically you have to slow cook. You want to cook for a long time, maybe with moist heat, and that type of treatment tends to turn these tough cuts of meat with a lot of collagen tender. It makes them tender because the collagen breaks down and turns into gelatin, giving the final product a soft texture. This is part of what sets blubber apart. Blubber has significantly more of this structural material than most adipose tissue in the animal kingdom, more collagen, more elastic fiber. And for this reason you can kind of think back to the description in Moby Dick of the blubber as saying, you know, it's kind of like firm, close grained beef, but he describes it also as tougher, as elastic and compact. There's something dense and springy about it. It's just it's tough stuff. And I think a lot of this probably comes from this extra collagen and elastic content. I expect we'll get more into this in part two when we talk about blubber as a food item, which it is, especially for people living in the polar regions. But I would suspect because of this extra collagen and structural fiber that blubber is a good bit chewier and tougher than most animal fat. Maybe we'll have to revisit that next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but certainly in the meantime, for any of you out there who have personal culinary experience with blubber, go ahead and write in.
Speaker 3: Totally yes please. And by the way, Iverson also in this entry mentions the textural difference in blubber between blubber and regular fat, not in the context of blubber as food. She writes that blubber tends to have a quote firm, tough, and fibrous character, distinct from most other animal fats, and this toughness and strength gives blubber a lot of its important adaptive qualities for the marine mammal. Another common structural distinction that biologists make about blubber as opposed to other adipose tissue is that it is highly vascularized. In Iverson's words, quote, blubber also contains numerous blood vessels and specialized shunts called arteriovenous anastomoses or avas, which allow larger and swifter blood flow than would be possible through the capillaries alone and are important to the thermoregulation process. So this is the really key thing about blubber as an insulation method. It's not just static insulation. Say like a beer cooler. You know, a beer cooler is really it's great. Beer cooler provides great insulate You can put cold things in, It'll stay cold a long time, even on a hot day. You can put hot things in it. They'll stay hot for a long time. You know, it's great, but how insulating the cooler is does not change unless you open the lid. Blubber is adapted to selectively either insulate the body and keep the blood flow and thus heat exchange to the outside minimal, or on the other hand, to allow rapid voluminous blood flow through the fat tissue and near the skin, including by connecting veins directly to arteries, or I think these would be slightly smaller vessels like arterials and you know the next step down from veins and arteries directly connecting those things. And this is important because it gives the animal a lot of control over its internal body temperature. The blubber is an insulator that protects body heat against the cold water when needed, and then allows the mammal to wrap it dump excess heat into the water when needed, for example during exertion to make more vigorous activity possible without overheating, or just when it goes into hotter, warmer waters.
Speaker 2: So this is going to be an outrageous overstatement of the obvious, but sometimes I think these can be helpful, like it is helpful to compare the blubber to a blanket or a winter coat. But a winter coat or a nice blanket is not a part of our body. No, the blubber is a living part of the creature's body. It is at once the thing it is using to maintain its temperature and also the flesh that is being maintained.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like if a coat were part of your body, and you could flip a switch to make the coat either make you hotter or make you colder. Now, this is another thing we will explore more as we go on, but it's important to note that there are huge variations in blubber thickness among marine mammals. I'm not sure if the numbers that Melville gives in mobi deck about the average thickness of a sperm whales blubber layer are correct, But I don't know. Maybe he's in the zone, but I have questions about that. But there is at least large variability between species and between individuals. So as animal bodies get bigger, of course, it tends to be the case that volume increases more rapidly than surface area. This is sometimes known as the square cube law in animal body sizes, and as a result, larger species tend to have much thicker layers of blubber, so some examples given by Iversen in this entry are that you might get arrange for like seven to ten centimeters of blubber in a lot of adult seals, and then up to twenty to thirty centimeters in fin whales, and then up to fifty centimeters of blubber in the bowhead whale, which I'm to understand is one of the most shocking and amazing blubber carriers in nature. Maybe the raining champion. I think we're gonna you've got some stuff about the bowhead whale, don't you, Rob.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll definitely be coming back to the bowhead whale here in a bit. Now, I do want a note real quick that in the different sources we were looking at for this episode, we did find that sided blubber thickness for specific species of whale can vary quite a bit. And I'm to understand this depends on what sort of criteria you're using for measuring of the thickness, not so much that like this source is wrong and this source is right right.
Speaker 3: So Iverson in this entry says that like, the bowhead can be up to fifty centimeters of thickness. I don't know if that's like at the absolute maximum the thickest place or something, or if that's referring to an average. But I think you had the book by Karwadine that cited a lower figure but still a huge amount of blubber.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, so either in either case, the bowhead whale is the best. If you will, it is the most bloody best. And we'll, yeah, we'll come back for a little more on the bowhead because I think it will be illustrated to get into to get to know the most blobbery whale, and in so doing learn why it is so blubbery.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Another thing that's amazing about these animals with these thick blubber layers is how rapidly it can accumulate in like a newborn marine mammal as it nurses. Iverson talks about this, this idea that newborn seals have very little blubber when they're born. They instead, the newborns usually rely on fur for insulation, fur or maybe a fine type of mammal hair found on newborns called lenugo, and these baby seals cope with their lack of blubber by simply delaying entry into the water. So you know, most baby seals are born on land or born on ice, and they'll have to wait until sufficient fat stores are built up before they can dive in and go for that wet life. But the blubber accumulates fast, So Iverson mentions the example of a newborn harp seal or of Foca grenlandica, in which blubber is only on average about six percent of body mass when the seal is newly born and the blubber is only made of about twenty percent fat, and then after a mere twelve day lactation period, the baby seals are often up to fifty percent blubber by weight and the blubber is ninety percent fat, So six percent of the body to fifty percent of the body in twelve days. And you can see the opposite during times of fasting when adults are separated from food, for example nursing mothers. We can talk about that in a bit. When adult marine mammals can't get food, fat stores rapidly deplete. So what types of lipid molecules do you find in marine mammal blubber. Well, marine mammal fats are mostly made up of fats that these animals get directly from their food sources, including long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids or PUFA, and what Iversen calls quote unique fatty acids produced at lower trophic levels of the marine ecosystem, meaning fats from lower down the ocean food chain. That's the majority of it. But marine mammals can also make their own fat. They can synthesize fat molecules from excess amino acids in the diet. I think they probably could make fat out of carbohydrates as well, but the diet of a marine mammal is extremely low in carbohydrates. Usually they're doing that Atkins diet life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in many cases, but certainly with the maleene whales, we're talking about the consumption of a lot of tiny oceanic organisms.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I think we need to come back to the idea of blubber as thermoregulation, because this is a big deal. This is a big part of the evolutionary function of blubber. In general, fat is an insulator. It slows the exchange of heat. And I've read about some fun looking experiments designed for kids just to illustrate this. I kind of want to do one with my daughter. I didn't have time to do it before we did this episode today, but maybe I'll get around to it soon. So one of these experiments is called the Crisco glove or the blubber glove test. So the way it works is you get a bucket of ice bucket of ice water, and then you make a couple of mittens out of ziploc bags. So one is going to be your control mitten. That's just two bags, one bag inside of the other with nothing in them, and then your hand is inserted into the inner bag and then the other pair of bags is your test mitten. So your hand goes into the inner plastic bag, and then that bag goes into a second plastic bag with a layer of vegetable shortening in between the two bags. And then the idea is when you dip both hands into the water, you will feel the difference. The layer of shortening in the test bag insulates your hand and keeps it warm against the cold water, while the hand in the control bag will rapidly lose heat in the ice water and start to feel very cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet kids love this experiment. It has all the hallmarks of a great kids science experiments. It has sliminess and goofiness, it has immersion in another substance. Yeah, I'm a little shocked. I'd never heard of it till now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, it's a great illustration of this principle. That's not just about blubber and marine mammals. Marine mammals are not the only animals that use fat as a form of insulation against the cold. There is a common adaptation throughout the animal kingdom, but marine mammals face some specific challenges when it comes to thermoregulation. First of all, they live in the water, and cold water remove heat from the body more rapidly than air of the same temperature. If you doubt this, just try it. Just feel the difference between standing naked in a room where the air is sixty degrees fahrenheit and then standing naked in sixty degree fahrenheit water. The difference is unbelievable. It is starting. The former is probably going to be a bit uncomfortable, depending on your preferences. The latter is shocking. It will make you gasp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've conducted this very experiment at the local YMCA pool before.
Speaker 3: Oh, does it get that cold?
Speaker 2: There and on. Sometimes it does, so it generally it would mean that there's been a malfunction with the pool heaters or I mean, that's the most extreme case. But I've also found that if there's like a rapid change in temperature, like we go from a reasonably warm day to suddenly it's winter weather, there's going to be a little lag sometimes in the pool catching up. Ooh, so yeah, those are the mornings. So mainly they heat or failure days where you're really shocked when you jump in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, same temperature, but the colt but the water at that temperature is so so much more of a shock to your body. Water has a thermal conductivity about twenty five times that of air, so it's just able to remove heat from your body so much faster. And when you are surrounded by air, you also usually benefit from a thin layer of warmer air that just hovers around your skin. Warmed by your body, this small layer of warmer air provides some insulation for you in itself. No such luck really in the water. The water absorbs your body's heat directly to whatever stint. There is a warm layer of water around your body. When you're in the water, it's microscopically tiny and does not really do anything to help keep you warm. So you just out of luck there.
Speaker 2: Your only help is going to come the form of bodily exercise. Are getting dry, yeah, or getting out yeah, the transitioning to the hot tub for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So cold water is just so much more unforgiving than cold air. And so that's one thing. They're in the water. The other thing is marine mammals, like all mammals, are homeothermic indotherms. They produce their own body heat, and their bodies need to stay warm or they will rapidly lose functionality and die. They are not like there are animals that whose body temperature can fluctuate much more throughout and the animal will be okay. You know, homeothermic endo therms are not like that. The water is a harsh place for a homeothermic endotherm to live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Malvell alludes to this wonderful in that passage you're at. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So to get around this, marine mammals, they've got several adaptations. One is size. Marine mammals are larger on average than terrestrial mammals. Even the smallest marine mammals are pretty big, especially when you think about the actual average size of terrestrial mammals. I mean, there are so many extremely tiny terrestrial mammals. I haven't calculated it, but I would guess the average size of a terrestrial mammal is like a large rat or something. But marine mammals, the smallest ones are still fairly big by land mammal size. And this is evolution taking advantage of the square cube law. Again. As animal bodies get bigger, volume increases more rapidly than surface area, and animals lose heat to the environment through their skin through their external surface area. So the internal body volume makes and holds the heat, and then the surface area, which decreases in proportion to that volume as the animal gets bigger, is what loses the heat. Thus, bigger body, greater relative heat retention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just a one more note on the largeness of marine mammals, I mean, the biggest of the marine mammals, the blue whale is not only the biggest whale and the biggest vertebrate and mammal alive today, it is the biggest vertebrate and largest animal known to have ever existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a body plan that works in the water. Big bodies help you stay warm in the cold water. But the size is one thing. I Everson notes that then the other thing, of course, is insulation. Now, blubber is not the only form of insulation used by marine mammals. In some cases, these animals rely on fur, which tends to work best in air, specifically because fur works by trapping one of those insulating layers of air around the body, so it traps air as insulation. But in cases where fur would be less effective, like for animals that live underwater all the time, blubber is going to be the better option, especially because blubber works in both air and in water. So in animals that live in the water and then come out of the water, like some seals and so forth, blubber is still going to be helpful because it works in both places. Interestingly, some marine mammals, like sea otters, are able to use fur as insulation even in the water. And I got interested in why this is. It seems like this is because their fur is so good at trapping air. It can actually carry an insulating layer of air with them when they dive. So they go into the water and they take a little bubble with them that's trapped in their fur. It seems like this doesn't work, maybe if they dive too deep, where water pressure will compress or push out the bubbles of air and the insulation will be lost. And this is probably why you only see the preference for fur over blubber retained in marine or semimarine mammals like otters and polar bears, which spend significant time in the air up on the land or on the ice and don't need to dive too deep or for too long. As I talked about earlier, bluffer is an amazing adaptation for heat control because it is not a passive static form of insulation. It's dynamic and it can change its insulating properties as needed in the moment, particularly by changing how it channels blood flow. So when warm arterial blood from the center of the body flows out toward the skin, it loses heat to the surrounding water and cools the body. When that arterial blood is kept away from the skin, it retains heat. And because blubber is so vascularized, it can switch this heat exchanging blood flow on or off depending on what the animal needs. So in cold water it can keep the blood further inside, keep it away from the skin, and in warmer water or when the animal is working out, it can open up the vessels and shunts and allow the blood to dump heat into the surrounding water through the skin. Unsurprisingly, given the we've already talked about, marine mammals that live at higher latitudes or swim in colder waters tend to have thicker blubber for their body size, and the smallest cetaceans are usually not found at the highest latitudes.
Speaker 2: You need extreme bodies for extreme environments.
Speaker 3: Yes, Now, one more thing I want to mention before we get into your bowhead example, is another thing iverson goes into, which is the specific role of blubber for energy storage in marine mammals. Of course, you know, energy storage is one of the main purposes of fat across all the animal species that use it, but it has a special role for marine mammals, especially in species that migrate across great distances, using one environment for forage during a fattening season, and then a different, sometimes far away environment for important parts of their reproductive cycle. For example, billen whales that travel to high latitudes in the summer for feeding opportunities because of summertime booms and their planktonic food sources at higher latitudes, and then we'll travel down into warmer waters to give birth, to lactate and rear their newborns.
Speaker 2: Gray whales are a great example of this, and wescuss them in previous episodes.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, so I think you observed grey whales off the Pacific coast of Mexico.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yes? I did. This was very much they're breeding grounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. So this is where they're raising their young and then when season changes, they would travel back up to around Alaska off the you know, the western coast of North America for feeding opportunities. And even when great global migrations are not involved, reproduction and marine mammals often takes these animals away from feeding opportunities, for example, winter dinning for the birth and nursing of cubs and female polar bears. And this is especially interesting because of the increased metabolic demand on female mammals to produce milk after birth. So you know, after the mammal gives birth, the mother's body is working overtime to synthesize rich, highly caloric nourishment for the newborn. In most mammals, the mother needs to draw on fat reserves and feed herself externally during this period to lactate enough for her young. But amazingly, some baline whales and large seals are able to nurse their young without eating hardly at all, drawing almost entirely from blubber reserves, and this is very unusual in nature, Iversen writes. Quote in species that fast through lactation, females switch almost completely to a fat based metabolism. For instance, during a sixteen day lactation period, a gray seal female draws ninety seven percent of the energy supplied to her pup solely from her blubber stores. Wow and note that the mother's blubber reserves during gestation will also dictate how much blubber the pup is going to be born with and then from here. Blubber also still plays an important role in reproduction in the development of the young for the pups because the blubber that they've gained during nursing and that they're born with will sustain them after nursing is over and until they're able to feed themselves. Blubber Iverson notes is also an important reserve of internal water. I never really thought about this but she gives the example of gray seals during lactation. The mother seal is going to be losing a lot of water through milk production and is fasting on land to feed her pups, so she's not able to replenish water stores externally. Extra water comes from the oxidation of fat reserves in blubber for metabolism, because when you burn fat inside your body, water is a natural byproduct of that chemical reaction. This is called metabolic water. So metabolic water is produced, and then that provides water that the mother mammal needs. Now, I want to note that in this entry, Everson also gets into a lot of other interesting stuff about the role of blubber and locomotion, buoyancy, movement, and other things. We might talk more about those topics in the next part in this series, but we want to definitely have time today to talk about the bowhead whale.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, And I think it'll be a helpful exercise here to take everything we've discussed so far and then look at a specific example of a high blubber species and see how things begin to line up. And as referenced to earlier, I got this information from the Handbook of Whales, Dolphins and Porposes of the World by Mark Cardine. An excellent book for a anyone who just wants to read about whales at home, or if there's any possibility that you'll get to see one out in the world going on any kind of like a whale sight seeing tour, you know, And these are available all over the place. It's worth having a copy of the book. It's it's mobile. I've lent it to friends who have gone on cruises before. It's a great read, lots of illustrations. It informs you and also helps you in identifying what you're looking.
Speaker 3: At in the wild.
Speaker 2: So we've already you know, mentioned you know what blubber is, who has it? We've also mentioned, you know, what are the biggest blubber containing animals out there. Obviously the blue whale is going to be the biggest blubber animal. But just because you're the largest blubber creature out there, it doesn't necessarily mean you're the animal with the most blubber or the most blubber you know, for your body. The true blubber superstar is not the enormous blue whale. It's not the fin whale, it's not the mighty sperm whale, but it's rather the whale species it's often ranked fifth in overall size, and that is the bowhead whale.
Speaker 3: I just looked it up because I wanted to make sure I was picturing the correct whale in my mind. And the bowhead whale is going to be the one that has some sort of bone structure or structure in the head above the sort of curve of the mouth that looks like a hump. It almost looks like a kind of bump in the nose, but it's on top of the whale's head up above the eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, these are These are big, girthy whales, up to eighteen meters nearly sixty feet in length, weighing up to one hundred and seventy tons, and on the girth front, their maximum girth can exceed seventy percent of total length. So these are big creatures, not as big as the blue whale by most you know, measuring sticks, but it is the whale with the most blubber. And we'll get back to how it's it has a huge head, and we'll get back to one of what that uh sort of hump portion of the head is for. Uh, But yeah, these are These are enormous creatures. Uh. And in terms of the size rankings, they're generally ranked behind the right whale right as in right handed or right as incorrect. The right whale is just a little behind the bowhead whale and overall size. In fact, they look a lot alike. The bowhead whale was once known as the greenland right whale. Briefly, there are three varieties of right whale. The pygmy right whale is not a true right whale, and the name right whale is thought to refer to one of two things, possibly both at the same time. So first of all, there's English whaling wisdom that right whales were the correct whales, the right whales to hunt, because they had this trifecta of features. They were slow, so easy to chase down and kill, and then when you did kill them, they were so buoyant from their blubber that they floated. They definitely floated, so they were easier to harvest. And then when they were harvested they produced high amounts of oil and balen per individual. And the oil, of course is key. We'll get into the balen as well. But in terms of the bowhead whale, and the right whale species, they have a lot of blubber, and therefore they produced a lot of whale oil. Because whale oil was made from rendered blubber. This was the product of whaling that was most important to the whaling industry generally, certainly in its later industrialized stages. You know, humans have hunted whales for a very long time, but you know, whale oil was one of the major products during the most destructive heyday of human whaling. Now. But the other side of the coin is that, apparently, according to Carwadine, mid nineteenth century scientific observations were made that these were the right whales in that they were true and proper examples of what a whale should be. Which I have a little harder time wrapping my head around that one, because I mean it's like, what is the best whale? I mean, you know, they're all they're all whales. But I think it comes down to just sort of like basic body size identifiable as a whale. It is a bleen whale and so forth. All right, So coming back to the bowhead whale, Yes, this is your blubber superstar baileina mistacetis, which means mustached whale. It sounds like it's going to be something about mysterious whale or something, but no, it's mustached whale. And this refers to the bowhead whales bleen plates. We talked about baileen plates previously in our episode on gray whales. These are, of course the big filtery teeth like structures in the mouth that home through plankton or the marine animals that they are consuming. And for the bowhead whale, these are the longest of any animal, up to four meters or even five point two meters, so we're talking thirteen to seventeen feet long these baleen plates individually, and they're you know, hundreds of them in their mouths. And the name bowhead stems from their large, strongly arched or bow shaped rostrum and mouthline.
Speaker 3: Okay, for a second, I thought that was what I was talking about earlier, but the rosterum and the mouth line would be different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this's more below and moving towards the front. What you're talking about is on the top of the head, and it's going to come into play here in just a minute. Okay, So the key to the bowhead's massive blubber reserves here is that it is an Arctic specialist. It more than anything lives up to that Melville line, immersed to his lips for life in those Arctic waters because it lives exclusively in the Arctic and Subarctic, and it is the only baileen whale to do so. It ventures up into the high Arctic during the summer again like all like other baileen whales, it moves north, chasing those blooms and the richness of food that it can that it can achieve up there. But these guys go really far north and then during the winter they go back into the lower and Subarctic, but are thought to stay close to the ice edge. So for whales of this species venturing down into the Bearing Sea, that's snowbird behavior. That's like pretty much as southern as they go. They're definitely not going down to Mexico.
Speaker 3: Nice tropical vacation in Alaska, off the coast of Alaska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean this. I think this is the most important thing to keep in mind about about them and about the role of blubber in their lives is that they they are extremists. They live in the cold waters all the time and have are always in close proximity to sea ice, so they have to have that insulation, and they have to have more insulation than any of the other whales in the sea. Now, like other whales, their main predator outside of human whalers, of course, is the orca. And according to Carwodine, the bowhead whale's close association with sea ice maybe how it primarily protects itself from killer whales that tend to avoid extensive Arctic sea ice. The problem, of course is that due to climate change, there is less and less sea ice out there to protect them. So it's you know, kind of an open question of how they will adapt and how they are adapting to these changes. Now, coming back to what you noted earlier about the shape, the upper shape of the bowhead's enormous head. It lives in close proximity to sea ice, and it will venture under sea ice when it's feeding, and it can stay down for an extended period of time depending on what it's doing and what the circumstances are. Well, as with other whales, it's like if they were observed while being chased by whalers, like, they can stay down even longer. But bowhead whales will come up under the ice and they can break through ice that is up to sixty centimeters almost two feet thick. Whoa yeah, in order to create their own breathing holes in the ice large enough for that raised hump like part of their enormous head to come out and allow their their blowhole to gain access to the air.
Speaker 3: It's hard to imagine that's true. They can break through two feet thick of ice, Yeah, sixty unbel but that would make more sense to me if if it is true that they can take refuge from their only potential predators by venturing further, you know, staying around the ice and venturing further under the ice than their predator is willing to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and also further under the ice than their competitors willing to go. There are other, of course, far northern aquatic mammals. You know, we've talked about nar walls before, but the bowhead whales are pretty exceptional here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The blubber, of course, provides them that thermal insulation we've been talking about physical predection, protection against environmental hazards certainly as well as those energy stores. How much blubber do they have? Well, as we noted earlier, your sources are going to vary depending on how they're measuring the blubber, and it's also going to depend on where on the body you're looking at. Carbadine says five point five to twenty eight centimeters or roughly two inches to eleven inches in thickness, so up to nearly a foot of thickness in general, So again the thickest of any whale, depending on how you're measuring it. The bowhead whale is still going to be at the top of any list.
Speaker 3: In one sense, I'm thinking, man, I would love to see a cross section of that. But then on the other hand, of like, oh, that's a little too real, I guess because of the familiarity with the whaling contact with it, you know, they really would be cut up like that. But yeah, seeing a cross section of that tissue I'm sure is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because again they were heavily targeted by whalers because like the right whales, they're also slow, deliberate swimmers. We talked in the in previous episodes about whales how you basically different to Different whales have different ways of dealing with the threat of orcas, and it generally comes down to, like, are you going to try to outrun it or are you going to fight it off? And the bowhead whales are not going to outrun the orcas, and they will turn and fight if needed. But again it also seems like refuge in the sea ice is also part of their strategy. But since they are slow, deliberate swimmers, that's one of the reasons that humans thought that they were ideal whales for hunting. You know. Sadly this is as with you know, like other whale species, like the gray whales. It's it's written that they are rather cureious about humans. That they encounter humans and boats and so forth, you know, they'll come up and take a look, which you know, makes it even all the more tragic that we were so brutal towards them. Again during this highly industrial period of human whaling, when they were you know, intensely hunted and threatened, and as human whalers took advantage of that slow speed, their rich balen and their blubber and the latter of which of course also made them so buoyant. So all these things made them ideal prey for whaling enterprises.
Speaker 3: But also such an amazing example of what Melville talks about the you know, the the rare virtue of the strong individual vitality, the thick walls, and the virtue of interior spaciousness that takes his weather with him where he goes and is immersed to his lips for life in those Arctic waters.
Speaker 2: Joe, you mentioned your desire to see a cross section of the bowhead whale. Quick image search revealed several very interesting looking cross sections illustrations of course, so I would encourage folks to look those up in general, Like the inside of a whale is always fascinating because you know, their bone structure is so unique and alien but also familiar. You know, we can't help but imagine if we ourselves embarked on some on such an evolutionary journey of the body. And just also the scale that they're on. Anytime there's there's a reminder of just like how big is a human compared to you know, the guts of a particularly large whale. It's just it's mind Rand.
Speaker 3: Well, Rob, are you excited to talk about blubber for at least one more episode?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah, yeah, we we we barely scratch the surface of the blubber when it comes to human uses for it. I don't you know. We may come back to whale oil, but there's so many other uses for certainly the colon uses I think we're going to be very interesting to get into, which tend to be tied to older whaling traditions, that we're more in balance with the creature's natural patterns. Yeah, but as we said, certainly right in if you have any Glover thoughts right now, and maybe they will, there'll be something that we'll read in the next episode or at least in a later listener mail episode. Just a reminder to everyone out there that's Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We just set aside most serious concerns to talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.