Speaker 1: Per It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Cal Brody Randall, Maggie Chester, Seth Mackenzie and Hansie. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners. Choosing and for the start of the week. This week we're looking at player performance in regular episodes versus guest host episodes. During a regular round of trivia, the average player score is four point seven to two. During a guest host round of trivia, the average player score is three point two. That's a difference of one point five to two points. During a regular round of trivia, the average winning score there is seven point three eight and during a guest host round of trivia, the average player score is five point seven to five. That's a difference of one point six three points. It's safe to say the guest host rounds are significantly harder.
Speaker 2: I've had a lot of point three eight type answers, So that's gonna Mike Calm.
Speaker 3: I would have guessed that there would have been a never mind much larger differential between them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we had Brody and Yanni's games had four as the winning score, and then I think yours was eight and Steve's might have been eight something like that. So you and Steve brought the average up cal or excuse me, Brody and Yanni brought the average down still harder. Though people will sometimes ask for harder rounds of Trivia, they get it when someone else is the host. Now here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the meadeater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Josh Chapman wants to know. My kids enjoy playing along every week, but they especially loved the kids episode of Trivia. Will there be more of those coming out? The answer is yes. We have some kids specific podcasts coming out later this year. Hopefully in the next couple months, Trivia will be part of that show. I think that's all I can say for now. I've heard the pilot that Phil has edited. I think it's one of the best things that we're putting out as an audio product. I am stoked on at Phil. I think it is a lot of fun. I would listen to it even though I'm not a kid. I don't have kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's it's awesome. I mean, we did we made a mistake. It's sort of what we usually do around here as we talk about something like way before we know when it's coming out. We have no set date on when this kid's podcast is going to start, but it'll happen eventually this year. Stay tuned, Yeah, this year hopefully.
Speaker 1: Good work, Phil.
Speaker 2: Hey, Phil, I got a question for you. Hey, what's up mentally? What's going on every time you watch Spencer manhandle as Mike like that, He's just like constantly touching.
Speaker 4: I mean I've talked to him about it before and I've just kind of giving up.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's a fidget I fidgetalized.
Speaker 4: I just got done editing the Brody hosted episode. Even when you're not in the host seat, Spencer, you were moving that thing around like you're swirling a glass of scotch.
Speaker 2: Or something, so you would say it's it does have an effect. Then yeah, a little bit too hard.
Speaker 1: We're only like one hundred episodes in. Yeah, one of us. We'll figure it out. Either either Phil will just put up with it, or I'll solve it and not mess with the mic anymore. It's probably not going to be me White, you know, the apologies, philologies. Now we have some housekeeping to get to you. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about the six states that the Wolverine Foundation says has established populations of wolverines. Those states are Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, and Alaska. And you follow up fact to it. I said that California's last wolverine sighting was in nineteen twenty two, but that's when the species was extirpated, not when it had its last sighting. California actually had a sighting in two thousand and eight and twenty twenty three, which are the states only two confirmed sightings in the last one hundred years. Biologists believe those two wolverines either wandered in from Oregon to the north or the Rocky Mountains to the east. Similar to California, Utah has had wolverine sidings but is not considered to be part of their current range. According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, there have been eight confirmed wolverine sidings in Utah since nineteen seventy nine, with four occurring in twenty twenty one. Biologists actually captured and collared a mail there in twenty twenty two, so it feels like they are expanding their range, but the Wolverine Foundation still says that their current range is those six states.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean, come on, it's like you're lying to your audience right now to fit your narrative. Like fill in folks with like how biology works. Right, Like your question was where is the established range.
Speaker 5: According to the wolf right, not established range, established population, established population, So sightings don't count as established populations, right, like.
Speaker 2: We need a breeding population. However, if you also talk to these folks, like the way that they do their studies is not totally comprehensive, like the Sierras in California impossible, right, but or the even the Wahsatch range like both heavily peopled, but impossible to catalog the whole range all the time. So, but it is absolutely wolverine range and it has all the factors that wolverines need that the people at the Wolverine Society would say, these things have to be met in order to have a wolverine population. So did they ever get extirpated from California? It's a weasel, a highly mobile weasel. I find it very, very hard to believe that they did.
Speaker 1: We'll be glad that's settled. Maybe in our lifetime. Now lah, they'll draw that part in on the map for part of their range.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just I mean, it's like again, we know that there's this theme of your answers not being like one hundred the answer. So I think this episode, no, I don't want to. I'm here to argue with you. That's the fun part.
Speaker 1: You're fulfilling it today. Now the Shelby an extrat. Today's round is a five, So I'm putting us on perfect game alert. And with that, we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win. Everything's just tend to win everything.
Speaker 6: Game on Suckers.
Speaker 1: We have Seth and Chester with a one dollar bet. Is that what you said? Okay? And who wins trivia? All right? It is the first time scores higher, got it. It's the first time you always have put money on a game of trivia.
Speaker 7: This is the first time.
Speaker 1: Okay, one dollar bet on the line, five hundred dollars for everybody else.
Speaker 3: No football's over. You just can't help yourself in some other way of getting.
Speaker 1: Your fixed exactly. Question one. The topic is conservation. In this is multiple choice. Which of these animal classes has the most listings on America's and Endangered Species list? Is it fishes, amphibians, reptiles, or mammals. This is counting animals that are listed as endangered and threatened on the US Fish and Wildlife Service and Dangered Species List for the United States. So the question is which of these animal classes has the most listings on America's and Dangered Species list. Your four choices are fishes, amphibians, reptiles, mammals. Nobody in the room looks very confident. Cal hasn't picked up his whiteboard yet. Which of these animal classes has the most listings on America's endangered species list? Fishes, amphibians, reptiles, mammals.
Speaker 8: You know, I don't like fishes. Why can't we just say fish?
Speaker 1: You know, the the US Fish and Wildlife Service when they listed the categories fish, So I respected that and went with the yes, fishes, amphibians, reptiles, mammals. Hmmm, I think we're waiting on Calan Brody.
Speaker 8: I thought we'd dragged this one out a little and we could.
Speaker 2: What are you going with the first letters?
Speaker 5: Two different?
Speaker 1: Which animal class has the most listings on America's Endangered Species list? Fishes, amphibians, reptiles, mammals. It's everybody ready, cal go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying amphibians, Hansei saying fishes, Chester saying amphibians, Randall saying fishes, Mackenzie saying mammals, Col saying fishes, Maggie saying amphibians, Brody saying fish. The correct answer is fishes. About half of you got that right, Hansei, Randall, Col Brody from cad fish. There are one hundred and thirty nine fish listed on the United States and Dangered Species List. That's followed by mammals with eighty one, reptiles with fifty, and amphibians with forty three. In total, there are seven hundred twenty six animals and nine hundred thirty nine plants on the list. Question two the topic is hunting This next great question comes to us via Tim Bowles. States such as Wyoming, Illinois, Louisiana, and New York offer this color as an alternative to wearing hunter orange. The topic is hunting. States such as Wyoming, Illinois, Louisiana, and New York offer this color as an alternative to wearing hunter orange.
Speaker 2: Amphibians are so far down on that list. Makes me think we ran out of them before we started knowing that they were here.
Speaker 8: Maybe you know what, Spencer, Steve would be real happy with the way you worded.
Speaker 1: This question, such as he's changed, he's a new Year's resolution twenty twenty four. You're gonna have like in questions significantly last we're going with such as that'll make up our grammar Nerds and Steve particularly happy. Here's the question one more time. States such as Wyoming, Illinois, Louisiana, and New York offered this color as an alternative to wearing hunter orange. It's everybody ready, Maggie from Wyoming. Do you have this one right? Maggie?
Speaker 9: I hope so?
Speaker 1: Okay, she hopes, so? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying pink, Hansei saying red, Chester saying red, Randall saying pink, Mackenzie saying neon yellow, cal and Maggie and Brody saying pink. They got it. The correct answer is pink. Other states that offer pink as an alternative color include Wisconsin, Washington, Virginia, Minnesota, Maryland, and Colorado. Proponents of Blaze pink say it's a way to encourage more women to hunt, but when the topic came up during twenty fifteen's Wisconsin legislative session, the Women's Hunting and Sporting Association objected to the bill and called it demeaning. For more on this subject, go to the mediator dot com and read Sarah Keller's article called is pink the New Orange?
Speaker 8: How about? For more on this object, we asked the two women in this room what they think.
Speaker 10: I think that's bullshit. Which way, I'd never wear hot pink? Okay, so I'm not gonna let that stop me from But do you think I.
Speaker 8: Would like the like line of thought that it would encourage more women to hunt?
Speaker 9: Is that it just seems no, it's going to be a hard no for me.
Speaker 6: Maybe I don't think I own an article of pink clothing, so that might just be my opinion.
Speaker 2: It's hot pink, hot pink.
Speaker 6: I also don't own an article of hot pink clothing. But to make the assumption that changing what color that you can wear in the woods would make more women go out there is just so absurd and like so old fashioned, like just put your Hunter's orange on and get out there.
Speaker 1: About a dozen states disagree with you, though. Question three.
Speaker 2: I want some super fun first Light knowledge. Okay, this is something that I found fascinating deep insider when when we were working on the women's line.
Speaker 1: Cal you were like, what employee three at first Light something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I was the first actual O. All right, Yeah. So when we were working on the women's line, I had rounded up basically all the women that I knew that were guides and outfitters, and we were sending them stuff and getting feedback from them, and then and it was unanimous. It was like, no, we don't want any pink. However, the buyers, like the vast majority of buyers in box stores are male, and two of them said, you know what you should do with this, put a little pink on there.
Speaker 1: So what did you guys do?
Speaker 2: We didn't put any pink on, thank.
Speaker 1: You question three. The topic is cooking. Eater, send this six letter dish, which is basically Mexican beef stew, was America's hottest taco trend in twenty twenty. Eater said, this six letter dish, which is basically Mexican beef stew, was America's hottest taco trend in twenty twenty. Brody is confident. First one to come up with an answer. You have this one right, Brody.
Speaker 8: I think if anyone who spends any amount of time.
Speaker 1: On in giving a hand.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 1: Okay, cal you have this one right as well.
Speaker 2: Hold my hand, really hold.
Speaker 1: The Randall Chester Hansei Seth side of the table is not confident.
Speaker 2: Has to do with the conversation that we had with Randall earlier.
Speaker 3: Okay, I spend a lot of time on Instagram, but it's mostly for health and wellness and fitness trends.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, part of health and wellness is food. When done right.
Speaker 1: Said This six letter dish, which is basically Mexican beef stew, was America's hottest taco trend in twenty twenty. Maggie, you have this one right as well, I hope so. Okay, this corner of the table Cow, Maggie Brodie, they have it right or other five players.
Speaker 10: I feel like it should be more obvious.
Speaker 1: Don't know the answer.
Speaker 10: I'm just stumped. I'm gonna hear it and be like, yeah, exactly, probably on the menu of chipotlet or something.
Speaker 1: Letter dish. Oh, I don't know what you're referring to. It seems like a hint for some folks.
Speaker 9: That can excuse me.
Speaker 1: Eater said this six letter dish, which is basically Mexican beef stew, was America's hottest taco trend in twenty twenty. Do we give up our five players who have not come up with an answer? Ken Zie Randall, Oh, I really don't want to give up. Okay, hottest taco, the hottest taco trend.
Speaker 3: Thinking taco trends and taco trends aren't coming to mind, supply line disruptions, masks, COVID taco trend is just not huh.
Speaker 1: I think you're running out of time.
Speaker 9: Oh it's gonna be so.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Oh, Phil says, go ahead, and a way to go. We have Seth and Hansie and Chester and Randall and Mackenzie without an answer with cal sang upside down Berea, Maggie sang Beria, Brody sang Beria, and they all spelled it right. The correct answer is Beria.
Speaker 2: I would have never have gotten that.
Speaker 6: They're so good. They're such good you should make them if you haven't had no it's because the dippy sauce. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Beria was invented in the sixteen hundreds in Mexico and gained popularity when it started getting served out of food trucks in California in the early two thousands. Eater says it got national attention after a viral Instagram post in twenty eighteen which showed someone dipping a Berea taco in a steaming cup of consumme. If you want to learn how to make it, then go to the medieater dot com and read Wade Trunk's recipe called Venison Berea Tacos. Randall, did you know that one?
Speaker 3: I know what I mean. I'm familiar with berea. I just did not cross my mind.
Speaker 1: You weren't aware of that taco trend in twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: It's still a trend still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I guess that's where it's throwing me off.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you can go check out our recipe on that. I like.
Speaker 8: I like how they're able to pinpoint when it was invented.
Speaker 3: If you'd said a six letter dish beginning with B, I would have oh, really, quite confidently, I can say I would agree.
Speaker 9: I think that that would have spurred it.
Speaker 1: It was the question four. The topic is fishing. This next great question is via Jared Curtis. A two thousand and eight book declared this fish, which goes by the nickname Bunker, to be quote, the most important fish in the sea. A two thousand and eight book declared this fish, which goes by the nickname Bunker, to be the most important fish in the sea. Brody and cal and Randall know it.
Speaker 2: Doctor Williams has an unfair advantage on this one.
Speaker 1: Oh really tell us about it?
Speaker 8: No, No, you need to stop talking.
Speaker 1: Okay. A book declared this fish, which goes by the nickname Bunker, to be the most important fish in the sea. For those of you who have it right, Brody, Cal Randall, do you agree that this is the most important fish in the sea.
Speaker 8: I think it depends on where you're at in the sea.
Speaker 3: But I have a hard time making just large scale pronouncements about the sea because it's so mysterious.
Speaker 8: So did you see what cal posted about the sea? They found and a beer bottle on the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, kind I wonder, I wonder it was still had the label on green glass. I wonder where that started, Like it's drift, if it was like the rolling round from a cottonent away, or.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it were to go straight down. The amount of time it takes for something to get to the bottom.
Speaker 8: It's like thirty five thousand feet or something like that.
Speaker 2: Thirty seven.
Speaker 1: Humans are so impressive. We can litter at the bottom of the earth.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean the first time we got like, uh, some sort of live feed down there. The first thing that they saw was a plastic bag going by. Everybody got real excited. They're like, oh, it's a news, it's a plastic go.
Speaker 1: Humans were undefeated, and now where we can put our litter. A two thousand and eight book declared this fish, which goes by the nickname Bunker, to be the most important fish in the seas. Everybody ready, HANSI go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying stripe, bass, Hansie's saying alewives, Chester saying coho salmon, Randall saying men Hayden, Mackenzie saying grouper, cal saying men Hayden, Maggie saying sardines, Rody saying men Hayden. The correct answer is men Hayden.
Speaker 10: You've never even heard of that.
Speaker 1: A two thousand and eight Bruce Franklin book called men Hayden the Ocean's Unlikely Hero. He goes on to describe how billions of them are ground up and turned into animal food, fertilizer, and oil each year. Men Hayden play an important role in marine ecosystems. Is one of the primary food sources of bluefish, stripe, bass, sharks, whales and dolphins. Now, what is the advantage that doctor Randall had?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for asking, Doctor Randall. Williams used to work for the Tatterarios about conservation partnership and what was TRCP doing on the you of man Hayden.
Speaker 1: We did a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's a complicated issue because it's a marine fishery, so like there's a different state. But yeah, I mean, this reduction fishery is like blowing up a sort of keystone forage fish that affects game fish populations. And it's all the way up and down the Atlantic coast and in the Gulf. And uh yeah, I've spent more time thinking and talking and writing about Man Hayden than one might ever want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like most folks who live in Montana, are there other names for them? Bunker, I'm just pogy.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question five the topic is wildlife. This next great question comes to us via time Brooks name one of the three states with coda Munday according to the National Park Service. Some online pronunciations like Merriam Webster's Monday. Yeah, kauda Monday, but most folks that I hear say it are code of Monday named one of the three states that have code of Monday according to the National Park Service.
Speaker 11: I just recently observed what are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: There's a little hint from about five words that Seth got out of his mouth before Randall shut.
Speaker 11: Him everywhere from Montana to Pennsylvania to Mackenzie.
Speaker 1: Did that give you a hint? She's shaking her head. Yeh, look what you did.
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't know that's right, I don't know you're.
Speaker 2: Telling my story.
Speaker 1: Now, Chester, did they give you a hint? I mean, yeah, I already already Hansei? Did that give you a hint?
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 1: But it also confused gave him a hint and confused him.
Speaker 2: Wow, crazy trip to give it? I can give you. I give you just closed there for I give you another hint.
Speaker 11: Okay, go ahead, where I've most recently been, where people probably thought I was talking about, I've never observed them there?
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying Arizona, Hansi saying Texas, Chester saying Arizona, Randall saying Texas, Mackenzie saying Texas, cal saying Texas, Maggie saying Arizona. Brody saying Arizona. Everybody got it. The three states are Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Nobody said New Mexico. Everyone got it with Arizona or Texas.
Speaker 10: Can somebody tell me what that is?
Speaker 1: The National Park Service says that this animal is best described as a long nosed raccoon. They used that long snout to root around in soil and leaf litter for food. Their diet is similar to a raccoon, which is to say that they'll eat anything as omnivores. They'll dine on fruits, nuts, insects, birds, eggs, lizards, snakes, grubs, and more.
Speaker 2: One of the best hunt days I've ever had was because of a quadum Monday or Rick Smith and I were posted up on a mountain and he is just dead to the world. Saw on logs, and I'm watching some deer and you know, really on alert figure and something could happen at any time. And then I looked down this old dozer grade and the only thing that could come to mind was I'm slapping Rick, trying to get him to wake up, because he's an international man of mystery. He's been around the world like nineteen times. I'm like, Rick, Rick, raccoon, monkey, raccoony. Amazing creature, amazing creature. I guess they get eaten a lot, like people eat them in Central America.
Speaker 1: What was this one doing that you watched?
Speaker 2: Just just came cruising down the road. It was awesome. I was when we were in Mexico.
Speaker 11: I was glass in the hillside and I came across just this giant, furry black spot on the hillside, Like what in the hell is that? And then finally they all dispersed. It was fifteen of them, like all sleeping together in like a ball. It was crazy cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my folks are down poking around in Arizona right now and their dog, Hank, kicked up like three of them and they sent me a video. And I've never seen that dog look so just like baffled, like he's a woming dog. You've never seen a raccoon, let alone see that. It was.
Speaker 1: Raccoon's a good video. Raccoon monkeys fell. We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: Everybody's on the board thanks to Seth, probably Kenzie and Chester with one point apiece. Seth and Hansi have two, Maggie has three, Randall has four, and up in first place with perfect games are Brody and col mackenzie.
Speaker 1: What do you think you would have put for that last question if Seth didn't give you the.
Speaker 10: Hint, I have no. I had not heard of that before. I was thinking Alaska. I was also thinking down south, because there's a lot more diversity down there. Chester.
Speaker 1: How did Randall excuse me? How did Seth confused? He didn't really put that on me.
Speaker 7: Threw me off a little bit. I had Arizona in my head before he said, you know, he just recently saw one of those, so I thought Texas. But then uh yeah, I stuck with my thing.
Speaker 11: Is where I recently saw them was not in any state Mexico, oh.
Speaker 1: Mexico, but orders several states.
Speaker 3: I wish you had traveled to Berea, Kentucky told us all about that spelled differently five letters, but it would have tipped me up.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is cooking. A sushi roll filled with salmon, cream cheese and avocado is named after this East Coast city. A sushi roll filled with salmon, cream cheese, and avocado is named after this East Coast city.
Speaker 2: Anything with cream cheese is not sushi. Just get that out there.
Speaker 1: Seth, you have this one right, I put down a city on the Randall you have this one, right, boy? I hope so Brody and cal also look confident. Mackenzie, you have this one right, Meg, you have this one right. All right.
Speaker 2: We're gonna load it with cream cheese, We're gonna deep that, fry it, and then we're gonna coat it in mayo sushi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like it'll be up to Hansey and Chester. If this is a one hundred percent or not, go ahead and reveal your answer. We have set saying Philly, Hansi saying Philly, Chester saying Philly. Everybody said Philly. Everybody got it right. The correct answer is Philadelphia. This sushi role was created during a Philadelphia culinary competition in the nineteen eighties. Although the city is famous for its cream cheese, that cream cheese was actually invented in New York in eighteen seventy two. The Philadelphia namesake was just a marketing move to capitalize on the region's reputation for good dairy products. If you want to learn more on how to make your own sushi, then watch Kimmy Werner's video on the medeater dot com called how to Make Sushi.
Speaker 2: They were going to use a can of cream of mushroom soup, but they couldn't quite get it to stick on there.
Speaker 1: Question seven the topic is conservation. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Keith Jordan for sending this great question. Keith is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the week. Then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. What country is home to forty percent of the world's tropical rainforests and ten percent of the world's biodiversity. Phil would like to speed the game up here, here's a question again. The topic is conservation. What country is home to forty percent of the world's tropical rainforests and ten percent of the world's biodiversity? Cal who has a perfect game going? Is changing his answer? Randall just one behind them, Brody, Are you confident in your answer?
Speaker 8: No? Okay, I mean this is a tough one.
Speaker 1: Randall was quick to answer. I'll tell you that maybe he's trying to.
Speaker 8: Get it doesn't mean he got it right.
Speaker 1: Ran Two. Did you get this one right?
Speaker 8: I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Doubt huh, Africa? Yes, there you go. What country is home to forty percent of the world's tropical rainforest in ten percent of the world's biodiversity? Kenzie, do you have an answer? I think we're waiting on ye. Everybody ready, Chester are doing a little scribbling chess? Are we changing an answer, clarifying an answer?
Speaker 7: Changing an answer?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Brazil, HANSI saying Brazil. Everybody says Brazil except Maggie. Maggie says Costa Rica. The correct answer is Brazil.
Speaker 6: At first I heard continents and I wrote down a continent out. I was like, that's impossible, and then I had to think of a country, and that's a man.
Speaker 9: My brain short circuited right there.
Speaker 3: I initially read it as county, and I thought it was a very difficult question.
Speaker 8: I asked, why you decided to include the biodesert diversity part of it.
Speaker 1: Just a little more details, I don't know, might throw you off. You'd have to ask the.
Speaker 2: Keith because like Madagascar and Borneo.
Speaker 1: Keith didn't have that detail in there. I included that detail. It's said that Brazil is the most biodiverse place on Earth and is home to about two hundred thousand species of plants and animals. A twenty fifteen paper said the country is so vast and remote that some species of birds have gone extinct there in our lifetime, before biologists even knew they existed. It's estimated that twenty percent of Brazil's rainforests have been removed. Kel you were talking about earlier about those amphibians. You're like, yeah, maybe we don't know about all the amphibians. Well, they're admitting in the Brazilian rainforest, which is what the Amazon rainforest, that we don't know about everything because stuff is disappearing before we even knew it was there.
Speaker 2: I'd like to have that same question for and just just for my own personal knowledge regarding Central America. Just move her down a little bit closer to the equator. Be interesting.
Speaker 1: Question eight. The topic is fishing. This country artist who should have been a cowboy purchased lucky Strike lures in twenty twenty three. This is question eight. We still have a couple of perfect games going.
Speaker 2: Say pop culture question, this is.
Speaker 1: A fishing question. This country artist who should have been a cowboy purchased lucky Strike lures in twenty twenty three. Cal Is this going to keep the perfect game going? Yes, Brody, is this going to keep the perfect game going?
Speaker 8: Because I can't think of his damn name.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't think of his damn name. It's a problem question is asked for some of us. It's a problem for others. It's a blessing. Two perfect games going through Question eight, Country artist who should have been a cowboy, purchased Lucky Strike lures in twenty twenty one. There is Cal handing out hints, filling in some more lyrics for folks. Seth, you have this one, right?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Maybe Chester with a blankboard or musician in the room.
Speaker 6: I've recently heard the story of why he wrote that song.
Speaker 1: There's a hint. It's a he that we just.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: So we've got about ten more words of lyrics from Cal, and we've gendered him from Maggie. This country artist who should have been a cowboy purchased Lucky Strike lures in twenty twenty three. Brody, how we doing over here?
Speaker 8: Not good?
Speaker 1: You guys got any more hints for Brody? I would suggest you not give them.
Speaker 9: Well, it's a good I don't think there's any hints. I'll wait until we revealed till I tell the story.
Speaker 1: All right, Oh my gosh, Chester, our musician and fishermen are singing. Fisherman does not have an answer.
Speaker 3: Songwriter, I think is you'll probably want to be known as a.
Speaker 1: Songwriter, songwriter, singer artist.
Speaker 8: All Right, I'm not He's not gonna come to me.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, reveal your answers. We have set saying Toby Keith, saying Luke Combs god Chester without an answer, Randa saying Toby Keith, McKenzie saying Toby Keith, cal Maggie and Brody sang Toby Keith. They got it. The correct answer is Toby Keith.
Speaker 9: So here's the story.
Speaker 6: Toby Keith was in the bar after hunting, wearing camo with his buddies, trying to get these girls to dance with them. Wouldn't dance with them. They were dancing with the cowboys wearing Western shirts and whatnot. You know, his buddy looked at him and was like, man, should have been a cowboy.
Speaker 9: Went home, wrote the song top the charts.
Speaker 1: There we go nice.
Speaker 9: Should have been a cowboy doesn't learn First Light.
Speaker 1: Lucky Strike made the puzzling decision in their press release to say that the company was in disarray before last year's acquisition. Keith was quoted on their website saying Lucky Strike needed focus and vision, and that he was there to pick up the pieces. Part of their rebrand was a new patriotic logo that's red, white and blue. Keith died last week at the age of sixty two.
Speaker 8: Well, what are some famous lures that company makes.
Speaker 1: I'm not aware of much Lucky Strike. You know they're like in walmarts though, like they're sold around the country, But as far as a specific thing they've created, I couldn't tell you. Phil. We have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: Chester, McKenzie, Hansei, Seth and Maggie are not in the running for the win. We've got Randall with seven points and still tied up in first place with perfect games are Brody and cow Phil.
Speaker 2: What do I have?
Speaker 9: One?
Speaker 1: Is Chester for our one dollar bet on the side?
Speaker 2: Seth has five, Chester has three.
Speaker 1: Oh. Chester, You'll need to get these both correct questions. That Lucky Strike press release was really fast. That they said the company was in disarray. Imagine if when we bought like First Lighter, Dave Smith, this or decoys. But boy, they were a total mess. Good thing we're here and they kept around most of the leadership. Lucky Strike did great press release. Question nine. The topic is hunting. This next great question comes to is via Peter Peter Hawthorne. The National Deer Association describes this deer condition as quote a genetic mutation that causes patches of white hair. The National Deer Association describes this deer condition as quote a genetic mutation that causes patches of white hair seth or are you gonna put away Chester with your answer?
Speaker 7: Here?
Speaker 10: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yes, you get either of these last two rites. You just win the one dollar bet. What are you gonna spend that buck on?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe we'll go double or nothing on every ground.
Speaker 7: I know this too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny that you haven't wrote down an answer.
Speaker 7: I was weird. I was just talking to someone about this the other day.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it was maybe don't.
Speaker 7: It was my brother in law, Todd, and he was talking about this deer he saw in northern Wisconsin with some white patches on it, and he was confused.
Speaker 1: Don't give out too many.
Speaker 7: He couldn't shoot it because he thought it might be blank. But it wasn't, in fact not blank. It was, in fact this word that we're looking for, and I can't think of it.
Speaker 1: You don't watch answer. You may have confused folks. Actually this is a strong story.
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 8: I got a question and I can't and ask it.
Speaker 1: Randall likes where he's sitting with. I just cannot Callum Brodie there's another term.
Speaker 8: Do you care to embellish on the type of answer you're looking for?
Speaker 1: I do not. Is everybody ready just then I'll just argue if I'm wrong, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying piebald, Hansei saying elbinism, Chester without an answer, Randall saying piebald, Mackenzie saying elbinism, Cal saying del Mesha, Maggie saying piebaldism, Brody saying piebald. The correct answer is piebaldism or lucistic is a form of lucis.
Speaker 2: I wrote down my original answer.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Mackenzie was cheating and saw that you wrote.
Speaker 2: If I was cheating, I thought piebald was just the face.
Speaker 8: Watch it's all over.
Speaker 2: Well if it's but I think it's like a weird.
Speaker 8: It's like a very informal term for a genetic condition.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because you know a horse that is horses, but that's what they're bred for, and they're not. They are no longer referred to as a piebald.
Speaker 6: Sometimes they are.
Speaker 2: You're like, uh, it's a piebald apple losa, So.
Speaker 6: Like paint horses, it's technically piebald doesn't. But what do you call them paint horses? Because that's just the vocabulary we use.
Speaker 9: But it's like a genetic.
Speaker 2: Deer.
Speaker 9: I want to know more about Dalmatia. What what what's that?
Speaker 2: I think that's a real word.
Speaker 1: It's it's a region.
Speaker 3: On the Adriatic.
Speaker 1: Piebald deer will have blotches of white fur while maintaining their normal eye, nose, and hoof color. Albino deer will have completely white coats with pink eyes, pink noses, pink or white hoof, and pink or white velvet. It's estimated that about one in one thousand deer are piebald and one in thirty thousand deer are albino.
Speaker 6: You can read my recent article on the meadeater dot com about it piebald elk that was recently shot in New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Maggie, very good and cal. Yeah, the piebald thing. Sometimes it's like ten percent of deer, like you'll see some extra white around their legs. Other deer like covers ninety percent of them they turn white, not limited to just yeah one.
Speaker 2: I mean that's like part of the deal. Like I shot a dough this year that had white around her hooks, and I wasn't taking pictures on Instagram or telling people you know what, it sounds.
Speaker 1: Like a you problem. Well, we have one question left. Who is left in the game.
Speaker 4: Calan Randall have eight points and in first place. Brody Henderson has nine points.
Speaker 1: Perfect game on the line for Brody Tye.
Speaker 3: This blee hotch up better be a good ten Harrispencer inten.
Speaker 1: The topic is woodsmanship. This climate pattern translates to little Girl in Spanish and refers to when strong trade winds push warm water towards Asia.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Brody very very confident in his answer. It may close out the perfect game for him distance himself from cal and Randall. This climate pattern translates to little girl in Spanish and refers to win strong trade winds push warm water towards Asia.
Speaker 2: We better do the tiebreaker just for fun, because this is such a letdown. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 10: It is a little anti climact.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying al Nino han, Lanina Chester saying Lanina, Randall saying Lanina, Mackenzie saying Lanina. Everyone says Lenina. They got it. The correct answer was Lanina. He did the male version El Nino.
Speaker 9: You reach is wrong on your Spanish down in Mexico.
Speaker 1: Lanina's powers felt across North America. Typically this results in a drought in the southern United States, heavy rain in the Pacific Northwest, colder temps in the north, warmer temps in the south in a more severe hurricane season. Lanina also creates colder, more nutrient rich waters off of North America's west coast, which is beneficial for squid and salmon. Noah predicts will transition from El Nino to Lanina in the summer of twenty twenty four. Brody is our winner with the perfect game ten.
Speaker 2: Let's get that Tyrek.
Speaker 8: We're going let's see the tiebreaker and nf Cowwn's the tiebreaker will split the thousand bucks between two different conservations.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a great idea. I bet, I bet folks on YouTube, but really be into that? Can I play along?
Speaker 6: I split it?
Speaker 1: Three nine, you're gonna twist my armor. I guess we'll do a tie breaker. We've I think we've once done a tie breaker just for the fun of it, and that was during the Wives and Girlfriends.
Speaker 8: The listeners that lame question.
Speaker 1: Ten Okay, Seth, you got the lame question wrong. Here is the tie breaking. The topic is cooking. According to the us DA, how many calories are in a raw three ounce serving of wild caught channel catfish?
Speaker 2: Phenomenal question question?
Speaker 1: All right, do you see the difference according to the us DA, how many calories are in a raw three ounce serving of wild caught channel catfish?
Speaker 2: Caw?
Speaker 1: This could just be for real if you'd stuck with pieball. Participate in this your questions. More fun means nothing, wouldn't mean that dollar just the closest. This is not prices, right a three ounce serving of right it to It's just the measurements.
Speaker 8: It's like if you're getting a bunch of catfish bites for one sandwich.
Speaker 1: It's too big for a bite. It's just like the new standard nutritional measurements.
Speaker 2: Do you have a prep for your answer? What it would be like from an actual sitsolutely?
Speaker 1: Do well? From a fish farm? I have the fish farm difference. Write your answer to point one decimal places that way. That way we have a winner for certainers out there for all to see. Maggie, go ahead and participate. Everybody ready, can we do it prices right style or you can't go over. I don't think so. I really dislike the prices. That's just an excuse for them to give away less money when they do that. That's what's one on there, Go ahead, Oh hold on, we're still waiting on count on a dollar. You're up a dollar. It strikes me that we could wager that, we wager that, Oh wow, you're who is who is closer?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So Seth is won the bet with Chester, and now it may wind up that Chester ends up paying Hansei because Hansey is now doing a one dollar bet with Seth as to who is closer on this tiebreaker? Is everybody ready? Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying ninety point one, Hansei saying ninety point zero, Chester saying one hundred point zero, Randall saying ninety seven point one, Mackenzie saying one, seventeen point zero, Cal saying twenty one, Maggie saying thirty point two, Brody saying one eighty eight point zero. The correct answer is eighty point eight. Cat from Chester eighty point eight. I think HANSI was the closest. He was nine point two calories off. Brody and Cal went with the widest spectrum in the room. They gave us the lowest highest answer.
Speaker 8: Well, are we going to donate this money to someone?
Speaker 2: Spencer?
Speaker 1: Now, that is twenty calories less than a channel catfish that came from a fish farm. So your wild caught channel catfish has twenty fewer calories than a fish farm.
Speaker 2: Work.
Speaker 1: Brody has one thousand dollars to donate because of his perfect game. Brody, where is that one thousand dollars?
Speaker 8: We haven't dumped any money into the land Access initiative in a while, so let's do.
Speaker 1: That thousand dollars going to the LAI. Are we going to have another project this year?
Speaker 2: Cal, I'm jumping the gun a little bit here, but it's gonna be mid to late March. Okay, is our next auction?
Speaker 1: Oh all right? The next auction house of audities to March.
Speaker 8: You haven't zoned into, sorry I have, so that that was the actual question.
Speaker 2: Timing is going to be mid to eight March for the fundraising efforts. But we got bills due on the Wyoming Corner crossing case and the reason that that is perfect for the land Access initiative is because as it's made its way up through the federal courts, it can have national impacts. Here, So in Wyoming alone two point four million acres of just corner.
Speaker 1: Locked, the most of any state in the public ground.
Speaker 2: And then we're at like one point seven I think in Montana one point seven million of actual like corner locked. Where as we all know, it takes a footstep to get from public to public without ever infringing on somebody's private property.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: So this is a clear just use of our access money for big access impacts.
Speaker 1: One thousand dollars going to the Meat Eater Land Access Initiative. We have the auction House of Oddities coming up in about a month from now. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins,