Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Thursday. Morale is high.
Speaker 2: Everybody's here, including the Great Fritzy. Coming up, we'll check in with the Chargers. How's morale there? Who has it better than we do? Nobody? If you're the Chargers. Jim Harbaugh coming to town. Daniel Jeremiah, NFL network analyst, and also he is a color analyst for the Chargers on radio. He'll join us coming up. Also, the Alabama head coach Calin de Bor will join us a little bit later on this hour, and the Lions running back Jamiir Gibbs will stop by as the Lions get ready to go to San Francisco eight seven to seven three DP show operator the what are we calling Tyler the Minister of Culture here? He's our Minister of culture, Prime Minister Prime, Well, no, no, just minister, this minister. He has to aspire to something. Tyler's nickname, just become prime. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock and Tyler's standing by to take your phone calls. Poll question Seaton. We got two of.
Speaker 3: Them up there right now, Dan, what's more likely to happen? In the next five years Chargers when Super Bowl or Michigan stripped of the title. Right now, sixty three percent of the audience have Michigan.
Speaker 2: Oh well, maybe they just don't have confidence in the Chargers. Fair yeah, fair, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And we also put up there who is happier today, Dean Spanos or Ryan Day running away with it? Not even close? Seventy four percent of the vote. Ryan Day should be thrilled today.
Speaker 2: What are we gonna go with with our two? You're gonna keep those up? That's so funny to me.
Speaker 3: Well, we could put out Todd had this one, which is interesting because I don't know that you're going to agree with the premise necessarily because I think we've you said that, maybe we've tempered expectations for Justin Herbert and the Chargers. But okay, will Justin Herbert win an NFL MVP under the tutelage of Jim Harbaugh, the tutelage.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say, yes, you said he will? Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I'm gonna say that, Okay, Yeah, he will win an NFL MVP. Yeah, Okay, I'm going to say that.
Speaker 2: Okayte By the way, the Chargers Super Bowl odds are the same as the Falcons. Today, the Jets have better Super Bowl odds than the Chargers, but in fairness to Harbaugh getting out there, it's going to take more than one season. Plus you're still in a competitive conference with Kansas City Chiefs. That was another thing. I mean, Sandy or Sandy. The Chargers gave Jim everything that he wanted and because Atlanta was going to have a second interview with him, going through the NFC to go back to the Super Bowl would be a little bit easier, you would think. Because you're worried about the Niners, you may not be as worried about the Cowboys or the Eagles. And maybe some of these other teams aren't ready to you know, Tampa Bay Reel. Is there an outwier there? Where's in the AFC? If I just look at the quarterbacks, I got Lamar Jackson, I got Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes is in my division, Joe Burrow, I'm going to have to go through him as well. So that's just three there.
Speaker 5: And C. J.
Speaker 2: Stroud is in the AFC and he of course surprised a lot of people this year. But all right, we will settle on a pull question for hour two, We make way for Daniel Jeremiah, Chargers radio analyst and network analyst at NFL. Daniel, your reaction when the Chargers got Jim Harball was what was excitement?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I think he brings excitement everywhere he goes. He's won everywhere he's gone. I was in the driveway playing horse with my son, and my phone started blowing up from all my friends that I grew up with that are lifelong Charger fans. I'll tell you my dad, who grew up in Ohio and has been out here in southern California for forty years, has been a huge Charger fan. He was very excited on multiple levels that Jim Harbaugh got that job. So he was He's been a lifelong Buckeye fan and a long time Charger fan, so he literally had the best day yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is the team getting with Jim Harba.
Speaker 5: Well, you're getting a couple of things. Obviously, you're getting identity. His every team he coaches wherever he's been has been a tough, physical, line of scrimmage team, so you're getting toughness. The other thing that you're getting is you're getting somebody who's gonna get it up and running and is going to establish accountability.
Speaker 6: Early.
Speaker 5: I remember going up there to Stanford. I was scouting at that time when he got that job, and I remember in that press conference, I think somebody asked a question about USC and he wasn't. There was no deference there, there was no oh, you know, hey, we're just gonna build our He was like, we're ready to go against them right now. And all of us scouts when we laughed Dan, We're like, this is he's crazy, Like does he know how bad Stanford is? Does he know how hard it is to get players in the stand Like we've heard this for years, for decades, And the guy went in there and beat him the first year, what like forty point Underdogs like it. You know, people can think of whatever they want. He brings energy, enthusiasm, and the guy wins.
Speaker 2: What is Harball getting with this roster with the Chargers? What's he get him himself into.
Speaker 5: Well, look, it's not a perfect roster, but you've got a great quarterback, You've got a you know, a franchise left tackle, You've got two pass rushers that you know, you got to keep them healthy. They got to figure out what they want to do salary cap wise, Therewin James' special player Keenan Allen's still an elite receiver. Like, there's a lot of pieces in place there. I would imagine he's gonna want to come in there and really kind of you know, put more resources into the offense and defensive line. H they're gonna need tight ends. I mean, it's not a one year fix with some of the holes there to get it to where he wants it to be. But I you know, look, I think Justin Herbert is going to have less on his plate, which is going to be a good thing. You know, when he had Andrew Locke, how tempting would it have been from most play callers that say we're gonna throw it fifty times a game, this is the best quarterback in college football and it's not even close. And he didn't do that. He ran the ball. They were physical, and they asked Andrew Luck to kind of make those handful of plays. So I don't know if you're talking about the MVP before I came on, You don't know if Herbert's gonna throw over five thousand yards at Jim Harball. But he's gonna be very efficient and he's gonna win. That's you know. I don't know how that gets you to MVPs, but it's gonna get you a lot more success in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to be the MVP comes from the first seed or the second seed in your conference. I mean, you have to be the number one or number two seed. And if they get there and Herbert's your quarterback and plays well, because I don't know if Jim treats Justin Herbert the way did JJ McCarthy at Michigan. Because here's McCarthy, I expected to be a first round draft pick, and you watch that Penn State game. They didn't even ask him to do anything. They just ran the football the whole time. Can you can you is the NFL now for Jim? Is it the same when Jim was at San Francisco? Can you still have the same kind of philosophy?
Speaker 5: I still think you can play the way he played at San Francisco provided you had what they had. I mean that that offensive line, defensive line, we're outstanding with San Francisco. That afforded him the luxury to play that way. Very few teams have that. I mean, I was watching the Niners game last week, and you know, I thought, man, they you know, I know that they ended up winning that game and pretty ended up making plays late. But I'm watching that game. You know, you can just turn around and give it to McCaffrey and win this particular football game. And you know they didn't. They didn't choose to do that, but I still think they had a team that could do that. I think that's the goal that they'll want to get to that point.
Speaker 2: Here and also being relevant in Los Angeles because even though the Chargers had a potential marquee quarterback, great uniforms there, you know, down the depth chart as far as must see TV or even must attend, Harball is a reason. Like now, all of a sudden, you know there's something there. I don't know if it's enough right now, but Harbor all having Harball's philosophy or culture there. I wonder what that does to the LA market.
Speaker 5: I think it'll bring enthusiasm. It's a winner's town. I mean, you've got to win to draw any attention, and it helps to have some personality. And you know, when you go when you look at the Rams and Sean McVay and what he's brought, I mean, he's an incredible, incredible coach who's brought consistent winning and he has a personality about him too. Jim's different, but I think you get a lot of those same perks of guy who's going to come in and when he's gonna stand out because of who he is and how he handles himself, which I you know, I think is a chance to make a dent in the market. It's you know, there's a lot of teams there. You're competing with a lot of different teams for eyeballs, but there's also a heck of a lot of people there, so I think there is there is room to see this thing grow as it goes forward.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network analyst also host of Moved the Sticks podcast with Rhet Lewis and Bucky Brooks. Have available wherever you get your podcast. Who was the backup plan if Harball didn't go, I.
Speaker 5: Would have been if it wasn't hard off it would you know, I would expect Rabel would have been the choice. It just feels like they needed to go get an established kind of brand.
Speaker 2: Pete Carroll would have been on their radar.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think look as a coach, absolutely in the in the area, it would have been a very popular move. I don't know where, you know, with the difference in age between him and Rabel. I know Vrabel hasn't had the success that Pete's had, but he still has. You know, he comes with with a culture and an identity and has won a lot of games. I think that would have been My guess is what the fallback play would have been.
Speaker 2: When do you start breaking down quarterbacks for the NFL Draft?
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, Dan, we're there, man, We're yeah, we're at that point. So I've been I've been doing a lot. I actually watched a lot of JJ McCarthy yesterday. So those top five guys, I'm pretty pretty versed.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many quarterbacks do you think will be taken in the first draft.
Speaker 5: I would say three are going to go in the first three picks. I would be shocked if we don't go quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, and then after that, I think you're going to get a guaranteed fourth. However, for people sort that out, I think there's six candidates. I'll say there'll be five, and one of them will go to the second.
Speaker 2: Okay, Michael Pennix might slip here. He would he would be he would be the sixth for me.
Speaker 5: You know, when you when you when you put those guys all together, I think there's a some the two interesting debates to me in this, I think most teams will have Caleb just the talent is so is so off the charts, they will have him.
Speaker 2: Won.
Speaker 5: I think there's gonna be a real good debate between Drake May and Jayden Daniels that's going to take us all the way to the draft. And I think that the next tier between j. J. McCarthy and Bonnicks, I think is going to be a really interesting debate with all the differences in age, but the experience in different play styles, what was put on their play There's are gonna be fascinating discussions.
Speaker 2: If the Bears called you, what would you say.
Speaker 5: We're taking Caleb Williams. Okay, look, Dan, we'll answer this question. Justin fields. Would you argue is the fourth best quarterback in that division? Yeah, assuming Kirk Cousins came back, he's the fourth quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So my thing is, look, there's no there's no such thing as a draft pick without risk. But I would say if you took Caleb Williams, you got to develop and put the pieces in place and make it happen. I would say, you go from having the fourth best quarterback in the division to having the most talented quarterback in the division. You've got to put it all together. It's not a finished product there. There's development, But in terms of talent, Caleb Williams is more talented than any of those other three quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: I'm curio about curious about Justin Fields that if I'm the Falcons, it's not gonna cost me much. Would that be somebody that But I don't know if Belichick takes that job or whoever takes that job. But where where's Justin Field's gonna end up here?
Speaker 5: Well, I think that'd be my number one spot, Atlanta. You know, Yeah, I think it is. And I always I need to be careful to make sure that I don't forget to say this too. Justin's one of the thirty two best quarterbacks in the NFL right now. He's a starting caliber quarterback who's gotten better throughout his career. But I think when you stack him up in that division.
Speaker 2: But that didn't sound like a great compliment there Daniel.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I just I think that people say that you either are the starting quarterback of the Bears or you're gonna be you know, you're gonna get traded for a fifth round pick and go be a backup somewhere else. Like there's he there's teams that don't have a quarterback as good as justin Fields and more than one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think Atlanta would be a great spot for him. I think that young team and just let him go. You know, you're playing and have your games indoors on turf, and let's just go. Let's because I thought if Arizona moved on from Kyler Murray, that would have been another place. You know, I want to take advantage of what I have Bjon Robinson. You've got a couple of good receivers there, and and taking over a team that has underachieved, I think if but I don't even know if they're going to give it to Belichick.
Speaker 5: Well, just just try to imagine, Dan, Just just close your eyes and imagine you had an ultra athletic quarterback in Atlanta. I mean, what could that look like? We've never seen it before, you know, just let's your imagination.
Speaker 2: Hey, Yeah, a right hand, a right handed athletic quarterback and just looking in the mirror, just looking in the mirror. On the other hand, thanks for joining us. Appreciate you. Dan. All right, that's Daniel Jeremiah ad afhone network analyst and he works for the Chargers on radio as well. He's already done his deep dive on his quarterbacks there, you know, Caleb Williams. And yeah, as I said yesterday, Jayden Daniels, you know, he's starting to move up, starting to move up, and I think that's going to be an interesting conversation as we get closer to the draft. Dave in Arkansas, Hi, Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: They call me it for Dave? And I had to have that that male rear procedure that nobody wants, but I figure out let the pros do it, so went up to crap you. I've got to say they've done a great job with the town. They really know how to decorate. Everything is this lovely shade of brown. They're brown everywhere. Uh, there are a few reds and greens, but that's skid row. You don't want to you don't want to deal.
Speaker 2: With that, alright, come on, Dave, come on, the only.
Speaker 7: Part I couldn't figure out is that there were everything was decorated with little pieces of corn everywhere.
Speaker 2: I thank you, Jave, Dave, Dave, the video you sent in of pie of the Face was wonderful. There's nothing wrong with sneaky, subtle humor, subtlety. Appreciate it. Yeah, we like that sneaky. That wasn't sneaky or something.
Speaker 3: Although to be fair, there's not very much subtle about Pittsburgh, Dave.
Speaker 8: It's it's true.
Speaker 2: Uh, he's a right in your face kind of guy. But Crappensburg State and you know, one of the majors we have is proctology, so uh you know that that is if you get your degree, you know you're you're in a special class there. All right, let's clean up the mess here because we have the Alabama coach Kaelin de Bore set to join us, and we'll be on our best behavior. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Hey, it's Ben, host of the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of the Ben Maler Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR.
Speaker 5: Why should you listen?
Speaker 9: Picture if you will a world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be two weeks tomorrow that Calin de Boor took over Alabama for Nick Saban coach, of course, led Washington to the National title game. Now the new head coach at Alabama, Well, you've been there almost two weeks, so, coach, how's your accents? It changed?
Speaker 6: So it hasn't still got that still got that Midwest kind of feel to it, I think, and it probably always will so. But it's great. Beyond your show, Dan, appreciate having me on.
Speaker 2: Where are you right now?
Speaker 6: We're in Alabama just making our rounds and on the recruiting trail, so it's going great. When you said two weeks, kind of hit me about how fast time's been flying by. So we're making the most of every minute. The coaching staff's coming together nice, and you know, just really proud of how far we've come in a short a lot of time. All Right.
Speaker 2: The number one thing that you had to do soon as you hit ground in Tuscaloosa was.
Speaker 6: What well you want you you know, meeting with the team and really trying to get in front of them and just you know the craziness of college athletics and in particular the portal and just trying to make sure that they got to feel for who I was, you know, in the moment as soon as I landed, got in front of them, but the next you know, four days or so, trying to meet with them individually in groups. You're trying to build the staff at the same time and showing them the vision and feeling the personalities of those that will be coming into the program to coach them. So that balance right there, you know, kept me busy for those you know, four or five days. And now it's kind of reaching out and getting to the recruiting. You know that's been done, whether it's guys that have signed, and just trying to continue to impress on them their importance in our program and I'm excited to have them join us, and of course the classes in the future, the twenty five and twenty six is and so forth.
Speaker 2: Well, also, were you recruiting re recruiting some of your players who were going to go in the portal or at least talking about going into the portal?
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, you know, and that's that's that's a big part of it. I think that's probably some of the best recruiting our coaches have done so far, as is really recruiting our own roster, and uh, you know, that's uh, it's crazy to say that, but you know, I think that's the case no matter what. But I think it's even even at another level now just with everything. So I'm really proud of the way our guys. When I say our guys, our team have been receptive and embraced our coaching staff and myself. I think we've done a great job of retaining the cores, the nucleus of who's it in this program. There's so many great players and they want this place to be great, and uh, you know, certainly taught them by surprise and you know, it hits it pretty hard when you know, Coach Saban retired and that's a big piece of why they came here. But they also came here to wear or wear those Alabama colors, and you know they've really again been receptive to to myself and holding it together and wanting to carry on the legacy of this great place.
Speaker 2: Do you get Coach Saban's office?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do, I do. It's it's I think about all the people that have been in there.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, he cleaned it out, So did he leave anything for you in his office?
Speaker 6: I haven't found it, found it yet. There's probably a few things that you know, he'll he'll we'll talk about and uh, you know, articles and things like that. But yeah, yeah, he's a he's he's going to be certainly around the campus and uh, you know, excited to have him around. So much institutional knowledge and just everything that I can drop on. I've said it many times, I'll say it again. Be pretty foolish not to use him as a great resource. I know he wants this program to continue to be great in the future.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you have that moment where you sat there in his chair at his desk in his office by yourself and just said to yourself, I'm the head coach at Alabama.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's certainly a special place. And uh Coach Sabans made it that way, you know, And you know, I think that piece of it was intriguing and exciting to me when going through this process of looking to be in the head coach. And you know, he's made it an amazing job, as have others that come before him too, and so yeah, the legacy leaves you can't help but notice it, and you know, carrying on that tradition, that's that's my goal.
Speaker 2: When did you hear or your people here from Michigan prior to you taking this job? Did Michigan ever reach out to you about the possibility of replacing Jim Harbaugh?
Speaker 6: No, no, this was this was all about Alabama here, and no.
Speaker 2: This is prior to you taking that that I know Michigan had a wish list there of in case Jim would was actually going to go back to the NFL. So i've and your name was on that from what I was told, So I was curious if they ever reached out to you prior to you taking Alabama.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, that would never have been anything that have been aware of. I think, you know, when you think about the timeline of how quickly things happened from a National championship game and you know two days later coach Saban retiring in the next day an interview and then hired them. There just wasn't a lot of time for anything. So you know, it's been a whirlwind. And excited to be the head coach at Alabama.
Speaker 2: What did you do with your Washington gear?
Speaker 6: I don't know yet. I haven't been back since I took the job, so it's it's probably sitting there in the closet somewhere, but you know, we'll get back there and you know, get the family moved down here and strange.
Speaker 2: Though, in that strange coach that you just you get up, you gotta go, You got to hit the ground running, and your family's still back there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was. It happens fast, and that's probably the unfortunate thing of all this is how quickly it happens. Probably spent literally five to ten minutes packing the bag and forgot a lot of things and just enough to get through a few days. And actually that carries them on through a few weeks. But you know, it's just there's no great way to be able to you know, talk to the fan base and your team. You know, I'll get to that. Here's things settle down and make sure everyone truly understands how much I appreciate them. You know, you're the head coach. You invest a lot of time into it as well as well as people investing in you. And uh, you know, certainly that place has got a special place in my heart and always will. But you know, those players there are so special and again happens fast. It's the unfortunate part of just the business and how things go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's it's really the crappy side of all of this that you know, you you get that team to a national title game, those kids and all of a sudden, you know, do you even did did you get to say goodbye to anybody?
Speaker 6: I got a chance to be in front of the team, and even not all of those guys, just with how quickly it happens. Uh, you know, we're able to get the message and be there, and that's again a very unfortunate you know, not the way you want to have it have it happen, but within you know, ten minutes. You're you're sending out a message to the team after accepted the job, and you know, I was on campus and met with the staff briefly and tell them how much I appreciate him, and met with the team and literally had to you know, fly down here and get to work and meet the team and all the things that we talked about earlier about you know, recruiting the roster and thinking about you know, getting this organization rolling as quick as we can.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck on the recruiting trail. Thanks for joining us, coach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my pleasure. Thanks for always having me on. Dan appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Hey, Lin Demore, he's the Alabama head coach. Hey, you take the job. Next thing, you know, it's like, hey, can I get together with you? Get on a private plane and you're going hit the ground running. But you have to have that moment where you sit down. You're in Nick Saban's office, now your office, and you sit in the chair, nobody else is there. You close the door, you just go I'm I'm replacing Nick Saban. I'm Alabama's head coach. Good stuff, all right? Some phone calls here eight seven seven three DP show Nate in Ohio joins us Hi, Nate, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan, I've got three mock headlines for Jim Harbaugh going to LA.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so are you right?
Speaker 6: Are they?
Speaker 2: Are they going to be better than Fritzy's Nuts and Bolts?
Speaker 10: I'll let you decide, Okay, I think so, Okay, all right, here we go. All right, first one is Harbaugh revolts former charters, QB returns as head coach, revolts Shock and Awe, Harbaugh electrified Chargers as their current coach.
Speaker 2: Okay, current, I got that current kind of kind of clumsy there, Okay, give me another one here, it is the best one.
Speaker 10: Harball bolts for LA, leaves Michigan, Michigan wondering Watt's next?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, that's Nate like Watts, like you know, killo Watts stunt. I got that whole electrical the current, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Worked all the electricity thing in. I'm gonna go nuts and bolts.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine. And you know, I'm sure that question about was he contacted by Michigan came out of left field. But I was told Michigan had to prepare a list of candidates in case Jim left. Jim was not making it a secret that he was going to entertain the NFL. He has in the two previous seasons, and there was a list and I think there were seven names, and Klin de Boor was one of those. I mean, it's obvious that you would at least look at have a wish list just in case. And I think that's why I didn't know if they reached out to him at any point during all of this. But he's right playing the National title game two days later, you're Alabama's head coach. But it wasn't that time period that I was told about. It was prior to that, leading up to the National Title game. If Jim did leave, you just didn't want unless they knew that Sharon Moore was going to be the head coach and they had their fallback plan. But I think having options made sense in a situation like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paulie, I was thinking about this with Harvard just going college football is the only loser here. Maybe the fans this feels like we've lost. College football has lost Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh in the past three weeks. Those are the two faces of the sport in college football. I don't think there's even a debate about it. Kurry Smart's famous and successful, but he's not entrenched in American culture. It reminds me like remember a decade ago, or maybe a little longer, when like Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Dale, our junior all left NASCAR in like a three year window and there's like the three faces of the sport left and they're trying to find people to replace them.
Speaker 2: Well, you also had that in college basketball, Pat Summit who passed away, Mike Skryzewski, Jim Beheim. You know, these are three of the winningst coaches in you know, college basketball history, and college basketball is known for its coaches because that's the constant. And with college football as well, it's the coaches who are mostly constant because the players, you know, are transferring, you know, maybe not staying at a place you know, more than one or two years. Uh, Chris and Indy. Hey, Chris, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Hey, Dan, thanks for taking a call. Hey, I'm looking forward to the games this weekend. But I've never wanted one quarterback to win so badly and want to lose so badly, just with the fascination with Lamar Jackson. I'm I try to understand it. You know, he said, have you ever had an NFL MVP with I mean, I don't want to say pedestrian stats, but just you know, I know it's been a down year, but I mean Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson were drafted in the same class, and if you look at the stats, I mean, it's not even close. And the year that Josh Allen had this year, I'm just I try to understand that Josh Allen hate. And then I tried to understand that Lamar Jackson love. I just I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Well that Lamar Jackson. They were the number one seed and in the last decade, your MVP has come from a team that is either the one or two seats, And I think you got to give credit to Lamar Jackson. There were a lot of questions about Lamar Jackson. Did anybody want to trade for him? Where the Raven's going to bring him back? And it's not always about stats. And you know, with Josh Allen, it's not that I don't think there's Josh Allen hate. There might be a little too much Josh Allen love for people. I think some of these analysts who play or like, wait a minute, why are you're propping that guy up? He hadn't done anything. Lamar's at least won two MVPs. Mahomes best quarterback of his era and one of the best quarterbacks of all time. I think that might be the negativity is there are a lot of people who are carrying Josh Allen's water, not that he needs to, but it felt like there was this outpouring of people wanting to put Josh Allen on the same level with Patrick Mahomes, and he's not there. Obviously. By the way, the Chiefs have scored on their opening drive in seven consecutive playoff games, the longest streak in the last thirty years, So something to keep an eye out that first drive that they have against the Baltimore Ravens. We also have Lamar Jackson talking about his matchup with Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 12: I don't like competing against him at all, but yeah, I mean, he's a great quarterback, definitely, hall of famer is not even it's a little brain. He's definitely a Hall of Famer. He was just two greats up and coming greats just going toe to toe, you know, like a heavyweight fight.
Speaker 2: Like they said, No, I don't like going up against him. You usually get quarterbacks saying, oh, I love the challenge and you know, going against the best, actually going up against their defense. Yes, really not, Yes, he's not playing defense.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 8: I saw a couple of NFL shows they took this clip and they made it into a question. They said, is Patch Holmes football tomorrow? And hypothetical is he a Hall of Famer already? And it wasn't even really a topic, Like they went around the room they said, yeah, sure, almost almost first ballot at twenty eight years old. We talk about how complimentary.
Speaker 2: The greatest start of an NFL career.
Speaker 8: It is because Brady had three before he's twenty eight, but Mahomes has had much bigger numbers to twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Kansas City has relied more on Mahomes than the Patriots relied on Tom Brady when they first started out.
Speaker 8: Mahomes is at age twenty eight, six Pro Bowls, two times All Pro, two times Super Bowl Champ, two time MVP, two times Super Bowl MVP, and then I can give you a dozen more nice secondary world.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if he stops playing. If he stops playing due to an injury, he'll get extra credit because we did that with Terrell Davis. We did that with Gail Sayirs, We've done that. Now if he all of a sudden did what Barry Sanders did and just said, see you, I'm out, I'm going to go on tour with Taylor Swift and go to all of her concerts or something. He's still a Hall of Famer. Yeah, absolutely. I don't know if it's a debate and it's like, yeah, he's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 13: Yes, Ma, it's crazy because he's not going to make the college Football Hall of Fame, but he's gonna make the Profoball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: All right, when we come back, Paul, he brought up this idea, and it has to do with the college Basketball Hall of Fame and the basketball Hall of Fame. Also we have college football Hall of Fame and you have the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We'll explain all of this when we return after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Came in this morning as I do every day Monday through Friday, and set a load to everybody. All of a sudden, I see Paulie. Paulie had a question about the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame also the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and should we combine college with the pros and have one big hall of fame for all the sports? And I went, okay, let me take off my coat and sit down. We can discuss this a little bit. And I said, I'll carve out some time for this, so state your case so the audience can play along with it.
Speaker 8: It's almost a question more than a case. I was thinking about Jim Harbot today and I was thinking, now he's in the pros again, is he going to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: No, but he will probably go into the college football Hall of Fame, right with one title.
Speaker 2: And what he did at Stanford, yeah, San Diego. Yeah, But even there, your well, they're probably more lenient with college Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: But even there, you pause. So it's possible Jim Harbaugh could go down with his coaching career going to neither halls of fame. So now he were doing the same thing, and he were a basketball coach. Let's say he won a national title and also was a very good pro coach. He would probably go into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame for you know, abilities in pro and college. Should the NFL and College Football Hall of Fame combine into a football Hall of Fame to open up the whole concept like basketball? Is that done?
Speaker 2: The NFL Hall of Fame brings about a lot of conversation. Who's up for the Basketball Hall of Fame this year? And that will tell you that it's not that important. It's an important honor, but you can be Christian Laitner is one of the ten greatest college players of all time. He would go into the basketball Hall of Fame. He's in the college basketball Hall of Fame. I don't know why he's not in the Naysmith Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: And it is weird that basketball has both the at Bat Naysmith Basketball Hall of Fame, which would be college or pro, and then a separate college basketball Hall of Fame which most people don't talk about, or NOVA.
Speaker 2: And even the college Football Hall of Fame. Yeah, I think Tim Tebow just went in first ballot. Yeah, of course they're probably gonna build a statue outside people.
Speaker 3: Like Tim Tebow is the very reason that college football Hall of Fame exists.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you know, like Tommy Fraser at Nebraska, wonderful player, Greg Pruitt, you know, Billy Simms, Like there's all these great college player. Billy Simms was good with the lines. But yes, Marvin, yeah, light there is why the College Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 13: He's this somebody would a great college career, okay, NBA career.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, but that I think that's very unfair to Lightoner, who you can make the cases one of the most five successful college careers of all time. Yeah okay, yeah, but he was a decent pro. He averaged like fifteen points a game. He wasn't complete bust and did not play gino Oriama I think is in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Yeah, he hadn't played a minute, but.
Speaker 2: He just won eleven titles college titles.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so John Wooden, right, But so they got in based off what they did in college, but Christian Lanner cannot get in based off what he did.
Speaker 2: And Christian Layner is going to get into the Nay Smith Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: So they're still weighing their options.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he's not in this here now yet. I don't know if he's I don't know how that works.
Speaker 8: I have the eligibility. You have to be done playing for four years.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's certainly been the case. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 8: The nomination process for the college for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. You submitted to the CEO. He has to be nominated.
Speaker 2: I guess is he that just like that, nobody's going to nominate him?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 8: Could that be the reason?
Speaker 2: No, he's in the he's so he was so.
Speaker 8: I mean, oh, here's another one for later.
Speaker 2: He has to be later.
Speaker 8: Has a college career, a decent pro career.
Speaker 2: He was on the Dream Team.
Speaker 3: And it's funny though that he's the only member of the Dream Team not in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Correct, But he should be. I don't I don't know what would keep him out.
Speaker 3: But it is playing.
Speaker 2: What did he play twelve years? Maybe he might have played fifteen years in the NBA years, yeah.
Speaker 3: And averaged fifteen points.
Speaker 2: Is that a Hall of Fame career?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: No, the Hall of Fame career was what he did in college. College basketball.
Speaker 8: What about Pat Summit.
Speaker 2: Is in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: You could argue that Pat Summit had an infinitely larger impact on basketball. Christian later did, same with Gino Oriam, the same with Okay. Name a million coachs, Mike chu Chefski.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure. But Latner, as far as players go, is one of the top ten college players of all time. And there's nothing wrong with that. No, but it's the Basketball Hall of If they're going to make it the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame like they have the Pro Football Hall of Fame, then there's no argument here. But it's the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: Yes, And you know this guy way better than we do. Bill Walton was one of the great college basketball players of all time. Correct, Yes, I mean first ballot? Right. Did he get in the Basketball Hall of Fame?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 8: Mostly his college career, Yes, it's fair to say his NBA career, he was a two time All Star, he.
Speaker 2: Won an MVP, he won a title, won two titles. He won one with the Celtics as sixth man. But Bill's career was a disappointment because of injuries. But what he did in college, he was one of the best players of all time, but he got in because of what he did in college.
Speaker 8: And Leuel Cinder, if he did play one minute for the.
Speaker 2: He would be in the basketball Hall of Fame. Leuwel Sindor the most dominating college player of old time.
Speaker 8: Is there a college football player who, like, let's say there's one hall of fame like for the NFL it was just a football Hall of Fame. Yeah, a guy who was a disappointing pro who would get in based off his college football that we were just talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, does are we going to start being like, oh, I mean, come on, Johnny Manziel should be in there too because of what he did in college.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Herschall Walker, yeah, Herschel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: If there was a football Hall of Fame for both college and pro career, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You've seen in the USFL, and I mean he wasn't great in the NFL, but still he was Herschel. His position essentially is not valued at all anymore. But if I I don't want the college in with the NFL Hall of Fame, I don't want that. But it's the Naysmith Basketball Hall of Fame. So nay Smith invented basketball in college so it is about college as well as pros, which sounds strange, all right, Marvin, So.
Speaker 13: The players inducted this year, Dwayne Wade, Tony Parker, pogasol Derk Davitski, Christian Laitner should be in there with them.
Speaker 2: He should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame if you're going to include your college career. I mean, these are coaches who never coached in the NBA and we credit them. Jim Beayheim's Hall of Famer, but he win one title, won a lot of games. Rick Patino, he didn't do anything in the NBA. He's a Hall of Famer. What are we arguing?
Speaker 8: It is issuing though it doesn't like a double standard, like Rick Petino is still coaching, He's never even retired, and he's already in the Hall of Fame. Yeah for his college coaching.
Speaker 2: Yes see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do we start clamoring for or fighting for the injustice of I don't know that is so. I don't know where that came from. Well, I mean, I know it came from Paul, but I'm not sure why. Well, he's not in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: This goes back to Harbor though, because let's say, Harbaugh coaches in the pros. It does a nice job with the Chargers but doesn't win a title, he might go in neither Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if he goes in, it would be the college Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: But if there was a combined football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Okay, Pete Carroll's not going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Wow, I don't think.
Speaker 8: But I mean, is he if he had two, if they ran the ball, they.
Speaker 2: Would well maybe if it Look, you got Mike Tomlin who's going in. Bill Cowher went in. So yeah, maybe Pete is a Pro Football Hall of Famer.
Speaker 8: But if it were just football Hall of Fame, Pete Carroll's in.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, But is he in the college Football Hall of Fame with what he did at USC And do I factor in what he didn't do in the NFL with two other stops with the Jets, and so I don't know. Let them all in, Let everybody in. We want Christian Lightner. That's our crusade to get Christian Laightner in the Basketball Hall of nobody's doing that, man, No, they aren't good. Oh, I'm hearing from some buddies in Seattle. Are you drunk now, I'm not. Pete Carroll's a Hall of Famer, all right. Is Russell Wilson a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 7: Huh uh