Therésa: This is oat, right, Len? C old foam is oat latte?
Len: Yeah.
Therésa: Okay, great? Are we ready to start? Uh-huh Everyone, Therésa here. To those of you who know me from my socials, thank you for taking the leap of faith and joining me on this pod journey. And for all the newbies out there, welcome. I'm Terresa, and this is my brand new podcast, Haunting. This project is near and dear to me and kind of a departure from the stuff I normally share. It's less how to wear an Hermes scarf as a shirt eight different ways and more worldly or otherworldly. With the help of my producer, Len Len, say hello; w e'll be bringing you different ghost stories each week, straight from the person who experienced it firsthand. Some will be unsettling, some unnerving, some even downright terrified, but all of them will be totally true. So without further ado, let's jump right in. First on the docket is the Kale family, whose dream home turned into a nightmare. When their son Evan, summoned in something sinister. Wow! Say that's ten times fast summon something sinister, summon something some thin f**k.
Story A: I have these faint memories of just weird things happening: a cabinet opens up on its own, or I'd leave a room, and I come back, and something is very different than when I left the room. I was in sixth grade. My dad's out in the garage smoking a cigarette. So I go out. It's gonna sound kind of strange, but is our house haunted? And he just sucks on the cigarette and he says, son, they can never hurt you. My name's Evan Cale. I'm Carol, Evan's mother, and I'm Evans's father, Harold Cale, and we did live in a haunted house from hell. The house that spent pretty much my entire childhood in in Edinah, Minnesota. It is a suburb of the Twin Cities. Was a big house that had six bedrooms, eighteen or nineteen rooms. We were told that the singer Dean Martin had stayed at our house during the filming of the movie Airport that was filmed in Minneapolis. The things that I saw, heard felt in that house were nothing short of incredible and terrifying. I wanted to prove it to my friends, and I had these ghost hunts. Every time I had a ghost hunt, it involved a Ouiji board. We had one of the original Ouiji boards from nineteen thirteen. Evan would play with it, ask it questions and would give answers. One time, I asked it to identify itself, and it said Ron. Ron was my parents' friend who died of cancer two months before. And then, you know, I said, okay, we'll prove it. Tell me a secret about you that I don't know. The Ouiji board pointed out that he had some very, very dark and serious issues. That spelled out drugs and spelled out girls, It spelled out debt, it spelled out gambling, all this stuff, and later turned out to be true. Messing with a Ouiji board, I fundamentally changed the nature of whatever was in that house. I brought in something evil. It went from being creepy to downright terrifying, like demonic. I would have these nights where something would happen, and I would be paralyzed with fear. My dad was asleep. It was about eleven, eleven -thirty, and I got into bed and just closed my eyes, about to fall asleep. And suddenly, I hear, right in my ear, and I felt the breath and it was ice cold, and I started hearing the blinds kind of rustling, and it was happening. Like again and again and again, and finally, I said, stop it. I'm trying to sleep. And it stopped for about three seconds, and then suddenly, the whole f**king bed shot up. It was like Hercules punched the floor beneath the bed. I felt all the energy move through the bed. I went from kind of asleep to eyes wide open. Holy sh*t, the realization of how much power this thing had. It felt like a semi -truck that had the power to crush flesh and bone. I had been living with something that easily could have killed me. It was not playing around. After the Ouiji board. There's a distinct line in the sand pre- and post, but I mean, the activity got purely demonic. I might stay awake all night, terrified. I'm too afraid to go to sleep. He'd call mom, Mom, and I'd come up and he'd say, get her out of the room. We usedit calling her, get her out of the room. It felt very obvious there is something going on here.I pushed my mom down the stairs. I was going downstairs and it just felt like somebody from behind, you know, a strong hand on my back nudged me. Four weeks later, Carol was sitting in bed reading and the bed. Moved with her on it. We're not talking to a little scoop. We're talking three feet away from the wall. This is a big, king-size bet that must have been two- three hundred pounds. Harold was standing right next to the bed against the wall talking to me when this happened, and I jumped out of bed and stood there freaking out. Oh, oh my god, Oh my god, oh my god.
Story B: I'm watching this in disbelief.It flew and smashed into an armoir.
Story A: It scared the sh*t out of me. I didn't trust my eyes, and she didn't trust what just happened. But we knew that it happened because the armoire was smashed. The next night, I was sitting in bed reading, and the bed just collapsed and sandwiched me. The mattress folded in half like a taco. I just laid there when it happened. I didn't dare move. I just was too freaked out to even try to get myself out of the bed. The next day, I had a contractor working on stuff in the house, and he couldn't find anything wrong with the bed. You know that would have caused it to have done that. Whomever can throw the mattress, the bed, the frame, andCarol has enough power to kill you. The basement had a bathroom. My dad tells me one night they looked up and there's a bloody face staring at him in the mirror. It was white, and it was black, and it has a hat that had to be centuries old, and the coldness was terrifying. It had probably dropped twenty degrees in a hot bathroom. He took down every mirror in the basement. We had the best exorcist in the Twin Cities come to our home. She said, it's one of the most powerful spiritual homes I've ever seen. I worked for like two three years, and then randomly it just came back. And then I had a team of ghost hunters come. There's an EVP that they captured. It's scary. Sounds to me like it's saying mine, I n E. That is the sound of evil. That's what evil sounds like. Realizing that it's emanating from your home when you live and sleep, I was terrified. But then after the ghost hunters all got followed to their house, something attacked each and every one of them. One guy reported a crucifix got ripped off his wall. One guy reported his wife got grabbed in the night. One of the people they brought claim that an angry old man attacked her. So this team quit after going to my house, they said no more ghost hunting. When we were going to put the house on the market, I went downstairs to, you know, do a final check- through of the house and found the laundry room flooded out with water two different times. I'm looking at the faucets, they're all on, from the shower to the sink. The toilets were overflowing everything , and. Then we'd call a plumber and the plumber would be like, I can't explain it. We put the house up for sale three or four times, and every time we did it would flood. Listen, we try to leave, they wouldn't let go of us. When we did sell the home, we sold it for under market value so that we can get out of here. So my parents were moving out and they found the Ouiji board under the couch. I remember seeing it when we were moving. The little cursor thing you use was poised down the word goodbye. The very last year my parents had the house, nobody lived there at this point they had moved out. So I walked in one day and I sat down and I put my backpack on a table, and within about three minutes of me getting there, the backpack (sfx) right off the table, thrown on the ground. I said, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm leaving. I'm leaving, and I grabbed the back and I ran. Out of that house. And that was the last time I was ever in that house by myself. It scares the hell out of me when I think about it, what went bump in that house in the night. It keeps me up to this day. I'm thirty -two years old. I still think about this at night as I'm trying to go to sleep. When you see the supernatural, it's terrifying. These things can kill. They are as real as we are. Do not meddle with Ouiji board. I can't stress that enough. That was the definitive moment where I realized how dangerous it was, how powerful it was, how all these years. I had been playing with fire. This sh*t is real, this sh*t is scary. They are not toys.
Therésa: He's not wrong. Last time I played with a Ouiji board, it was eighth grade in John DeMarco's parents' basement, and I was supposed to give him an over the pants hand job, but he got too scared, so we had to watchMrs. Doubtfire with lights on instead. So yeah, don't mess with Ouiji boards. Now, before we move on, just a little lighthousekeeping here. A lot of you in the comments seem confused. You're all like, oh, Therésa, stop being so cryptic and tell us what the hell is going on? This isn't the snarky social commentary and OOTDs we've come to know and love. What business could you possibly have with the Halloween Industrial Complex? Well, the business I have, dear listener, is of the unfinished variety. Yes, the long and short of it is that I died. I'm literally dead. I'm not like literally dead. Not like when you guys say it like OMG, Carly accidentally said needs to her cousin instead of her boyfriend; I'm dead. No, I've like actually passed away the hows and whys don't matter. All you need to know is that now I'm stuck in purgatory because apparently, I have what my caseworker, Sharon, calls unfinished business. I guess since I never got that proverbial little blue check of life, I wasn't able to cross over, and I'm stuck hosting this podcast for eternity or until Sharon says my business is finished, whatever that means. Obviously, just because I'm dead doesn't mean I'm going to give up on my burgeoning career as an influencer slash social media personality. So here we are. In short, I'm dead, but my career is as alive as ever. Now let's get back to it. Our next totally true story. Our friend Kathleen gets busted for smoking by a ghost, and just quickly, I really shouldn't have to say this, but don't smoke. My ex used to basically drink cotton candy vape juice for breakfast. It's disgusting, and no, cigarettes aren't an organic, plant-based alternative to vaping, So don't even try that spin because I already did, and it's what almost got me canceled the first time.
Story B: I've lived in this house my entire life, but you know, there's always been some things that I couldn't explain. I'm Kathleen from Wakefield and this is the story of the time a ghost caught me smoking. I live in a large white house. It's colonial with very beautiful bay windows on the front. The house itself is pretty basic, with a green door in green shutters. It's almost warm and inviting, but it still has that haunted house aspect to it. If it's dark, it's a little spooky. Maybe you wouldn't break it in. If you watch the movie The Conjuring, that's the basement looks like. It's unfinished, it still has the rocks and a small fireplace in there. I refuse to go down there as a child. It scares the life out of me. It was summer 2012 . It was a Saturday night, just a normal one in the middle of summer. My two friends came over to sleep over. The night consists of face masks and scary movies. Just kind of, you know, hanging out doing what we want to. My father went to work, he works a lot of midnight shifts. About one-thirty in the morning, one of my friends, Vicky, and I are just sitting on my dad watching a scary movie and I hear her call my name, "Kathleen." It was a mimic of Vicky's voice exactly. Of course, I'm confused as to why she's talking during the scariest part of the movie, so I turned to her, and I say, Victoria, "what?" She just looks at me funny, and she goes, what do you mean what? And I say, you said my name. And she turns to me with a very straight face and says, "I thought you said your name." Of course I'm confused, ecause why would I say my name just sitting next to her. So this is how the night begins. Both of us are a little shaken up. It's not really anything of a big deal. I've lived in this house my entire life, but you know, there have always been some things that I couldn't explain. My little sister was like, oh, yeah, I've had the TV turn off when I'm supposed to be in bed before. And then one day my little sister comes down the attic stairs, mind you, she's about four years old. We had no idea she was up there. She comes down and she says, "Uncle Morris's house is broken." And I just look at her. I was like, "what?" And she repeats herself and says, "the wallpaper is peeling upstairs. His house is broken." And my dad turned her and said, "how do you know about Uncle Morris?" And she said, "oh, he showed me." Our great- great uncle owned the house. He moved there after his wife passed at a very young age. He loved, he took care of the house while his elderly aunt lived there. Later on, about. Three in the morning, we all go downstairs into the living room. My friends suggest smoking. Now both of my parents smoke. I never had any interest in it. Mind you, I am thirteen. I don't want the house to smell like smoke. I don't want my dad to find out. That's not a great look for a Catholic school student. They're like, oh, we want to smoke, we want to smoke, and I'm like, you can't smoke in the house, Like I'm not comfortable with that. And my friend was like, "oh, I'm just gonna smoke a cigarette in the basement." And I was like, "all right," like whatever. So with resistance, I allow this person to go downstairs and smoke a cigarette. She is afraid of the basement, as are the rest of us, so she begs us to go down with her. The stairs are old and L shaped, so every step you take there's. A creek or crap. When you get to the bottom of the stairs. There is one light over the washer an dryer. If you go over there and turn on the light. It's just a concrete floor with a very small window towards the top where just a small amount of light enters the room, and the other side of the room you can't see, so it's just staring almost into the abyss. We're downstairs, just huddled by the singular light. She's smoking, which smells awful, and then she offers me her cigarette. The goody two -shoes student that I was. I say "no, no, I'm okay no," and she keeps kind of going at it, casually offering it to me, and finally I accept. As I take the cigarette, I hesitated because I've never smoke before, I've never drank, I've never done anything that I wasn't supposed to. I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do or how to smoke, honestly, And as I took it to my lips, the singular light bulb above us, burst. It was terrifying, there was glass all over the floor. The four of us scrambled up the now -dark stairs into the kitchen. We stared through the open doorway down into the basement. We were trembling at that point, and as we sit in silence, the door slams shut. The four of us scream and scramble once again to get upstairs into my room where we locked ourselves in. We have no idea if someone's in the house or what had just happened, but we sit there awake all night until my dad finally gets home in the morning. My friends never came to my house again. It was like, oh, so this is definitely Uncle Morris telling us to knock it off. He's kind of heeping us in line, shutting the TV off when we're supposed to be asleep, scaring the living lights out of us when we go to smoke a cigarette in the basement.
Therésa: You don't normally hear a lingering uncle story with a happy ending. So, I actually like this one. It's giving Scared Straight. Message received, Uncle Morris. But real quick, a lot of you in the comments are asking me how I died. Let's keep our questions focused on the haunting, Cool!
Len: (mumbles) You should tell them.
Therésa: Just from a content perspective, I don't really see what that gets us, Len. Also, my publicist and my manager don't want to release that yet.
Len: (mumbles) You should tell them.
Therésa: Just because I'm Dad doesn't mean my team is dropping me, Len. Come on, how else do you think people make it into the Oscar's "in memoriam" segment, your agent's assistant sends an email, So Maddie, if you're listening, send the email. Anyway, in all seriousness, I just want to say everyone has been really cool in the comments about this new project. It's so comforting to know I have just as supportive community in death as I did in life, and that's why I'm doing this. You can help me navigate the great unknown, and hopefully I can help you see that ghosts are just former people who want to have a little fun like anyone else. Unfortunately for you, that's often in the form of mortal fear and suffering. But it doesn't need to feel personal, because nine out of ten times it isn't.
Len: (mumbles) Alright, wrap it up.
Therésa: Already? All right Therésa- Gang, I'm signing off for today, but be sure to come back each week for more supernatural stories of the unreal, unexplained, and unknown that will send shivers down your spine and have you screaming, "What the hell Therésa?!" just like my stepdad Jared used to say when I'd let the dog two on his Loro Piana slippers. And if you've ever had a paranormal experience you think is pod-worthy? Email Len at HauntingThePodcast@Gmail.com and you could be featured on an upcoming episode. Until then, Stay Sexy, what, and We'll see you next time. Until the end of time, Tah! Stay sex Len? Why did you put "Stay Sexy?"
Credits: If you have a Haunting story to share, please email us at HauntingThePodcast@Gmail.com. And follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcasts or by visiting glasspodcasts.com Haunting is a production of Glass Podcasts in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. Haunting is created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus, and is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as her character Therésa. The show is directed by Aleah Welsh and produced by Trey Morgan. It is written by Aleah Welsh , with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, Ben Fetterman, and Kristin Melchiorre. Additional production support by Todd Ganz. Additional voice acting by Trey Morgan as the character, Producer Len Walker, editing and sound designed by Matt Delvecchio. Mixed by Dave Saia. Operations and production support by Kristin Melchiorre. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macaulay of Noiser. Music Library provided by Mibe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts and Glass Podcasts, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.