Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal hull that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day?
Speaker 2: Ed of State?
Speaker 1: Is that? Woof? Woof? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Verbal Boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. As always, I am joined by the one, the only, the incomparable. The Warm and Sunny in Southern California version of Dan Rubinstein joining us on the podcast today, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm terrific. I am tanner than I was a few days ago. I went to the beach in February. I've eaten terrific food. I've been running the streets. I'm trying to soak it all up before heading back to the frostier Midwest. So life is good, Tye and I get to talk with you.
Speaker 1: Crank it eight the Steve Wynnwood back in the High Life again, Dan Rubinstein in Sunday, Southern California. No video component today because, as we discussed on our previous show, sometimes when we move about the country requires a little bit more technical know how. We're not without all of the tools, but Dan, we'll be back later this week. If you want to see his smiling face in the meantime, subscribe or follow if you have not already to the solid Verbal. We're doing two podcasts a week at least publicly. I'll talk about that in a second. If you like the show, don't forget to rate or review. You can also go on out to verballers dot com. That's where you can get access to this show, all of our shows a little bit early. You can get access to video versions of literally every show but this one, which is fine. We also do a weekly bruin a towards the latter half of the week and Dan, I have not confirmed yet a date and time with you, but we do have our subject. He is interested, he is game for our monthly off topic episode that I am very excited about.
Speaker 2: I think it would not be unfair to call what you have with regard to this off topic episode. I think you have an intellectual boner for what we're about to record.
Speaker 1: I think you may have something there. I think you're onto that. I think you're onto it. Yeah, I'm very excited about this episode. So the off topic show will not be public released and uh, we're going to be doing that for our Patreon folks again at verballers dot com. We also got another little thing that we're cooking up in the lab that we're very excited about. All of that is at your disposal at verballers dot com. Okay, also solid giveaway dot com. We've got a new helmet. It is Jonathan Taylor tailback whoa when he was at Wisconsin Big Red helmet, one of those alternate versions of the helmet signed by JTT, the one and only JTT, Jonathan Taylor Tailback. That is all you gotta do is go on out to solid giveaway dot com, go through a few quick and easy steps to sign up for that helmet, get your name in the hat. And last, but certainly not least, the soliverbal as you know, is driven by Geico. What do we have today. We've got news. We don't have any kind of quirky game. We don't have any sort of frills, we don't have any kind of high concept that you need to imbibe and ingest and comprehend and compute before we dive in. We've just got a few things to talk about, not the least of which is a college football playoff deciding they want to expand just not now. We've also got some coaches that are on the move. We've got some more nil news at least quote unquote news that we can discuss, and then some transfer portal stuff with Jaden Daniels at Arizona State dam which is sort of making headline.
Speaker 2: All of them are interesting. The Jaden Daniels thing is, I mean, the timing of which is fascinating. Obviously things are going kind of screw and Tempe figure. He announced that he was staying before like a month ago, right an fl interest right a week ago, and now he's decided to move on. So I'm sure there are more things happening behind the scenes than we know. And I also saw a video it seemed like his teammates were or some of his teammates were helping to clean out his locker and happy to see him go. So you know, interpersonal relationships can be tricky in in a stressful environment like a major college football locker room. I'm sure it also begs the question who would have a better offense with Jaden Daniels running things that who was not able to nail quarterback in the height of the portal movings around not a word. There are a lot of teams who could use the best of Jaden Daniels. I'm just not sure what that is right now. I think a lot of people will look back at his performance hitting those huge throws against Oregon a couple of years ago when Oregon was like number six in the country and came to Tempe and lost because Jade Daniels had the game of his life. I think he's fine, don't I don't know that the perception of him, it seems nationally, is accurate. He made a lot of mistakes, has had accuracy issues throughout his career. Like, I think he's fine. I think he would be an upgrade for a lot of programs. I'm just curious about the timing of such a move, and obviously things we are like we're post first phase of the portal, and I think second phase will come during an after spring, right yeah, right, A big name, I think a limited ceiling.
Speaker 1: The obvious destinations I think for Jade Daniels are listed here in an article that I've got from a friends over at Athlon. They've listed out cal and UCLA, which I have seen elsewhere as potential landing spots. They mentioned LSU, Missouri, and Penn State, which I don't buy any of those, But Cal and UCLA I think are probably be the two most likely options. So UCLA is in an interesting spot because DTR is back. They originally had Dylan Gabriel who decided to untransfer and then retransfer to Oklahoma, so that's not working out. To have Jane Daniels behind DTR, I guess, or maybe in front of DTR if he shows up, that would.
Speaker 2: Be I thinking upgrade maybe for you, who am I describing and saying? His numbers don't really tell the full story of how inconsistent and at times disappointing this quarterback has been. So I you know, I sure I don't think DTR is a nine or ten win quarterback, and I don't think Jade Daniels necessarily is. And I know Daniels is from southern California. He would it seems, I know Cal is at the portal already to be an upgrade from where Cal has been recently.
Speaker 1: So Cal Cal has Jack Plumber that they brought in, right and you and I think that Jane Daniels would be an upgrade.
Speaker 2: There probably, But I think the problem is Cal's offense in general has been pretty disappointing, pretty bland. They haven't been able to really find playmakers at running back or you know, have a consistent offensive line or game changers at receiver.
Speaker 1: It's just really tough.
Speaker 2: That hasn't been really what Justin Wilcox has succeeded in doing in Berkeley. So yeah, I just don't know how much he would be set up to succeed there. And for those other schools, those are three schools that have clear quarterbacks of the future, and in this case, Jane Daniels would be a sort of Tyrod Taylor NFL stop gap while the younger guys get ready, Right, Maszoo just signed a blue chip quarterback of the future. Of course, Penn State with what drew a lar Walker Howard at LSU, so it's it's fine. And obviously LSU with the first year coach doesn't have you know, extreme loyalty to a current quarterback on the roster. But no, I think the West Coast footprint, whether it's a Mountain West school, whether it's a Pac twelve school, it's going to make the most sense for Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 1: By the way, ASU in a very very weird spot. Not only Jadan Daniels transferring, but they had another guy transfer as well. They brought over what is it, Paul Tyson from Alabama Alabama to help build some depth. But my hunch is that the ASU program is going to look like a shell of its former self when things kick off here in twenty twenty two, because there's just been so much upheaval. I'm surprised herm is still there, to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Well, he's got a very loyal ad former agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would expect that there's going to be a lot of pressure on things to turn around in some sense. I don't know what that equates to how you quantify that in twenty two, but he's probably about as hot as seat as you can imagine in college football at this point.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's going to be a package deal with It's going to have to be. It's going to have after the athletic director. Yeah, it's gonna happen, be Yeah, hard to see it turning around. Hard to see it turning around. They you know, Zach Hill, They've they've lost so many guys. Antonio Pierce moved on to the NFL, Zach Hill resigned in the mid amid all of the recruiting investigation stuff, and it's just, yeah, I think what we know is going to happen is it's going to be a new coach next year. Probably maybe not twenty twenty two, but next year twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Speaking of new coaches, we have Liam Cohen. Liam Cohen who was most recently the OC for the Kentucky Wildcats. There were rumors, all sorts of rumors for Liam Cohen. A bit of a revelation this year in Lexington. He has decided to go back to the NFL. He'll be joining up with the La Rams in a move that was sort of telegraphed. It's not a huge surprise he would do that. But Liam Cohen going back to the NFL. We've also got Charlie Strong getting back in the game, still coaching in South Florida, this time as linebackers coach for the Miami Hurricanes. Hired by Mario Cristoball. Charlie Strong is head coach. Has definitely had mixed results, but Charlie Strong is a defensive assistant coach. I think is still a pretty good move.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say anything but overwhelmingly nice things about the staff Mario cristaball is put together. And I think that ratchets up the pressure, as if it already wasn't high enough, with the hype of bringing back the homegrown guy and bringing in some of the you know, bringing Kevin Steele and Josh Gaddis to run the offense and bringing in the types of names he's brought in. I think he'll recruit very well. The key will be living up to now incredibly high expectations for a program that again, how many how many times they won the ACC ty No, yeah, zero point zero times zero point zero.
Speaker 1: So we're still.
Speaker 2: Waiting, and I have very little doubt that Mario Crista Ball will succeed. I just don't know what that actually means in the current college football landscape. ACC landscape is great. Clemson's down, pitt lost its quarterback, you know, North Carolina loses its quarterback but is recruiting well. Florida State still seems like kind of a mess, but seems to be heading in the right direction maybe probably, but certainly not anywhere on the level of a conference champion type team. So it's a great time to be an emerging program in the ACC. But I imagine Miami fans, even having not won the conference, have their site set a even higher than that. So we'll see a lot of money, a lot of hype, a lot of names, and I imagine Mario Cristaball will get the most out of his staff, especially on the recruiting trail.
Speaker 1: The other big news story that I wanted to talk about, and maybe I buried the lead a little bit, but I figured we would. We would spill the most milk over this topic. Uh oh, college Football Playoff remaining at four teams. So yes, here's the deal. It's going to stay at four teams through the twenty twenty five season till the contract ends. It seems there is unanimous agreement that they want to expand they just don't know how. They're still working through the logistics of how they want to bring the twelve team playoff into existence. It was an eight to three vote when they gathered this past week to try and determine if they're going to move forward. It failed. It needs unanimous approval in order to proceed. It failed because the Big Ten, the PAC twelve, and the ACC so called alliance that we made a big deal out of volume block. Yeah, all three of those conferences voted against it. Again, nobody is saying it's not going to expand everybody's in agreement it's going to happen at some point. But the ACC, I think what last month Jim Phillips, the Commissioner, stated that in order for them to proceed, they first need to consider the impacts of NIL things like the transfer portal and the governance structure, which on the NCAA side is undergoing a pretty significant overhaul. Right, they're still working by the Constitution and all those types of things. So the ACC has been the most outspoken against this by staying at four. Reportedly everyone is forfeiting four hundred and fifty million dollars in potential revenue.
Speaker 2: Well, when you say everyone, some people, some people, some people, sure, some people, some very fortunate people who are already making a lot of money from the sport are forfeiting four hundred ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: Ten FBS conferences and Notre Dame have forfeited reportedly four hundred and fifty million dollars in potential revenue. Some of the other potential obstacles that were outlined an inability to accommodate the PAC twelve in the Rose Bowl. That relationship they desperately want to try and cling to the traditional day and time along with the METEA rites. We've heard about that for eons, right, that's no news story. There are disagreements additionally about revenue distribution. It's a lot of money. Got to figure out what to do with it, how to break it up. There's also some dispute over whether or not Power five conference champions should receive automatic bids to an expanded playoff. So this is something that was very much supported by the Big Ten. However, it doesn't seem like a majority around college football. So a lot going on here. Again, I'll re emphasize for the third time that when the contracts up through the twenty twenty five season, they're going to expand this thing, presumably to twelve, because that seemed to be the direction everybody was headed. But it's going to take a little bit longer to get there. I saw Jack Swarbrick said that they were already probably about a month month and a half overdue with regard to whatever time line they had put into place. But take more time they think they'll get there. Your thoughts on this. I know what your thoughts are on this.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of movie. I know a lot of a lot of it also has to do with what, because I know they're what the PAC twelve is, the PAC twelve, Big twelve, and Big Ten. I know there are three because the ACC is locked in pretty deeply with ESPN when they signed the deal I think to create the ACC network, and the SEC is pretty locked in and they're they're changing their national Game of the Week too. I think it's going to ABC from CBS. But the other three conferences TV deals are coming up, and so that is going to affect things in terms of who is bidding on the college football Playoff, how many games are they bidding on, how is what does the TV structure look like of a future playoff with four, six, eight, twelve, sixteen teams. So a lot is going to depend on that, especially in the wake of news the news that I think NBC is extremely interested in getting involved with the Big Ten, which currently resides at ESPN, Slash, ABC and five. So a lot of that is going to come into play because now NBC looks at the Big Ten as a nice companion for Notre Dame, which makes sense. It definitely makes sense that there is going to be overlap in people who are interested about interested in Big ten games, interested in Notre Dame games. Sure, these types of shows where there is new, big news, whether or not it is long lasting or not, like we thought it was going to be last summer, when it seemed like the wheels were in motion to go to twelve generally brings out the like I'm the sort of boring Godzilla underneath the ocean floor who like, Okay, I guess I'm gonna have to rise again and talk about my thoughts about the college football postseason. But specifically with regard to staying at four. It's fine, It's absolutely fine if they can't come to an agreement. I'm not sure what the endgame is though, because I know that the holdup has been auto bids right that conference like the PAC twelve once it's champion in no matter what, and same goes for the Big Ten, same goes Big twelve, acc whatever. And so you have the SEC in this position, expanding to sixteen teams and adding two high profile teams that at their best can certainly build playoff caliber programs. Be it at four eight, twelve, sixteen or whatever. At Texas's best despite the last decade, I think it's fair to assume that they could build a playoff caliber team. So I'm just the SEC is in a place where they love four teams because they can get two teams in a good amount of time. They like the proposal to get to twelve teams because they could get three or four teams in. I think it's the auto bid thing that is the hold up, because that brings in more potential spoilers for SEC teams in terms of getting in. I saw Andy Staples write a piece about how the SEC should have their own playoff and they're send their champion to play against the champion of you know, all the other conferences and playoff that involves them. I just I think we're getting to a place that more and more people are realizing that there's no really good answer. You can say five auto bids and three at large's, or five and Notre Dame and two at large whatever, or we can say twelve the way it was outlined last summer, with the four teams getting the buy the top four teams getting a buye but Notre Dame is ineligible for one of those buyes. They're all systems, they're all answers. I don't know if they're good answers because none of them really do it for me. And addressing the one thing that I don't think can get fixed, which is there are just teams who are going to win a lot more games more often. And you can look at that as a feature or a bug, depending on how you feel about the sport and who your favorite team is. I just think we're we're getting to a point where we're going in circles and we're always going to have unhappy people no matter what the system is going to be. And I think that's the case because we're looking at the sport from a financial perspective, of financial point of view in that what will make the most TV money, what will get the highest TV ratings? And college football is doing this weird thing. And I say college football even though there is no college football. There's conferences, there's no centralized league. So we're doing this thing where we say, what's the best for the sport, or how do we get the highest ratings for our bowl games or for our national championship or our semi finals, And they chase casual fans, they chase mainstream fans, when I don't know that that was ever the point of the postseason. If you're chasing TV dollars and that's what you're courting, that means you're trying to attract the most TV viewers, and by doing that, you're saying, how do we get people who don't really care that much about college football to be interested in Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson LSU. And I just don't think it's a tangible goal. I mean, I understand why people think twelve teams is more interesting because we'll have new matchups and we'll have teams that are not normally in this conversation at the in January or whatever, whether it's Wisconsin or Baylor, Oregon, USC like any of those teams that like, oh suddenly they're playing in more meaningful games than usual. But it almost still to me feels like an invite rather than a meaningful place at the table. Does that make any sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, I they're gonna expand it, they're gonna express they are. And as one of our guests, I forget who over the last got in a couple of weeks, a couple months. As somebody pointed out, this all started when college football made a decision, and it may not have been a conscious thing at the time, but at some point in time, they chase the bag. Like everybody else. They chased the bag. They went after the TV money, And when TV money started gaining more influence on the history and on the future of the sport, then suddenly we arrived at this place where it's all really coming down to the cash, and everybody's trying to chase the bag get the most profit possible. So this is going to happen the question, I think, and look, it's going to happen. I would prefer get here sooner than later, because you know my stance on it, it's going to happen eventually. Just do it. But I don't think Jim Phillips is wrong to say, well, we've already got a system and there are considerations that we need to factor in here. Now. It wasn't listed out explicitly in the articles that I read, at least not all of them, but I do think that there should be a hot minute for us to sit here and evaluate player safety. Right there are more cases, there are going to be more games for everybody, but for a lot of kids there are going to be mm hmm. For the ones who play at Alabama and Georgia in the high profile institutions, Yeah, it's going to take a greater toll on the body. Is there anything that's going to be done with respect to adding more scholarships or adding more depth somehow to factor in for this added toll that's going to take on some of these kids to build depth and to you know, fill out rosters in a way that maybe they aren't now. I don't know, I haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: It just has it all has a feel of I don't know if daisy chaining is the right word. Where we keep digging ourselves into a deeper and deeper place that we're plugging more and more into the surge protector, then we're adding splitters into the surge protector, when in essence, the whole sport probably needs to be rethought if we're going to become once again, do you want to be a tournament sport or a bowl sport? And it's hard to be kind of half in and out. And as we expand, college football becomes more of a tournament sport, and then what are the repercussions. What are the fallout situations from becoming a bigger and bigger tournament sport? And our friend Ari Wasserman wrote about this in saying that, like, if Michigan beating Ohio State and breaking through has a lot less meaning because Ohio State is still going to make a twelve team tournament, then it's just not as fun like we want steaks, and that to me, like it speaks to the appeal of college football for so many, for so long was the scarcity of the sport. And I think that's like, how many Thanksgivings do you celebrate?
Speaker 1: Tie?
Speaker 2: You could have turkey and mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce whenever you wanted together and watch football and play football outside with your friends and family, but you don't. You get one fourth of July. You could grill and have blueberry pie and launch fireworks. Are fireworks legal in Pennsylvania?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Yes, for your as a dog owner, right, you're not thrilled, So you could do that in April, you could do that in December. Nothing's stopping you. But there is something about something happening once a year, something that I think is central. I think that's that that that that kernel, that nugget to college football, that a lot of the appeal is tied to that you get one SI HOWK game, that you get one Iron Bowl, that you get one you know Platypus Cup or you know Red River Shootout. And so when you open up, when you when you give those games less meaning both by saying oh, they could play again, or that team losing that game ultimately didn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: I think it.
Speaker 2: I think it's a detriment to the sport, and it's I can't argue for moving backwards because that's not how life works. But I just I think we're heading to a place where college football has to do a full reboot in the way that it's organized if it wants to keep going down this road. And I mean, look, look, yeah a couple things here. First off, Okay, we can't go backwards. We can't go backwards. And I know where you stand in the playoff. And I'm not saying all your points are invalid. You bring up a lot of good points. I just think it is such a foregone conclusion at this point we're going to end up with a twelve team playoff, maybe bigger I don't know, it's just going to happen. But it's your show. You can talk about whether or not you're happy or bummed out, or how you would do it. Your name's right here on the show. I'm curious. I'm curious to see what it does to the sport. I have a lot of the same concerns you do, but I am not as doom and gloom about it. That being said, I am curious to see how.
Speaker 1: It affects some of the dynamics that you described, the Syhawk game, the game Michigan, Ohio State, these rivalries. How will it affect things given the fact that some of them could be rematches, or some of them may not have the same stakes as before. I don't know. I don't know. I mean we're in an okay place right now where it still does matter.
Speaker 2: Well, four games keeps it or two games or I mean four teams or two teams or whatever. You know, it gives the games the stakes. And people will point to college basketball. I think it's a different sport. It's a different situation. You play many more games already in college basketball, and it's easy to say, Look, nobody watches college basketball regular season games or something like that. That's not true. A lot of people care about college basketball regular season games. It just happens that college basketball has one thing that college football will basically never have, and that's the ability for casual fans or non fans to fill out an office bracket. And so I think we just need to celebrate college football for what it is then, rather than what it's not. I'm fine with the playoff. I think they're going to expand I'm curious to see how they do it. I'm all for giving more if like we're already committed to the bid here where we're going to try and do a championship, which again is impossible in college football, but if we're at least going to try, I'm all about giving as many teams as you can the possibility of competing for it. Okay, that being set, Your second point, I think is one that I can definitely get behind. The whole notion of college football and where it stands within the collegiate structure. I've said for a long time the biggest problem with college football is that we call it college football and that it's associated with these institutions.
Speaker 1: You will have to pry college football from the dead, lifeless, greedy fingers of college institutions. There's no way they would ever want to four go some of the money that we're talking about here. The SEC paid out what fifty five million dollars last season. Yeah, there's no way you could ever get institutions to separate themselves from that. They love that, they thrive on that. They use that money for a lot of good purposes as well. It's not all underhanded. But of course, I just think we're going to come to a point Dan where the money we're talking about here just super seeds whatever the old collegiate football structure was supposed to be. How college football reorganizes itself over the next twenty years I think will be really interesting because it's going to this place. The money is only going to get greater, right, you know, how they keep this as a college thing where everybody can quote unquote compete is going to be very fascinating to me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, it's not going to fundamentally change maybe the organization of the sport, but I think college football is going to remain college football in the way that teams are affiliated with schools, and players attend classes and whatever gets scholarships and the opportunity to make nil money. I just I'm trying to sort of fast forward and see what a twelve team playoff look looks like. Wherever the games are played, whether they're on campus, whether a neutral field, NFL stadium type places, what does that look like? How does that it benefits the fans, at least in the short term in that we get high quality matchups. I don't think there are a lot of national college football fans in the way that there are national fans of other sports because of things like gambling in pools and fantasy and things like that. There are I think that people are just fans of their teams, and they want to see their rivals lose. They want to beat their rivals. They want to have as winning a season as possible and share the experience with their friends and family. That is the core of the sport. And I think that's been proven otherwise. That's been proven over and over again. So where do we go Once Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, you know, the lightning in a bottle, LSU, you know those types of programs are continually dominating the semi finals of a twelve team tournament. Do we get to an apathetic place where Wisconsin playing Notre Dame or Baylor playing Michigan becomes kind of, well, the game is cool, but we already know that they can't hang with Alabama. Like we saw a playoff this year in which we basically had no household names at quarterback just because Bryce Young was a freshman it was his first year starting, and then Stetson Bennett, Cade McNamara, and Desmond Ritter. So we've got a you know, American Conference quarterback, a quarterback for Georgia who is good but not the reason, the central reason why they were winning, and the quarterback for Michigan who is likely not the best quarterback on Michigan's roster based on what we look to the future with Michigan football and their offense looking like So it's just going to be difficult to sell that. I think in the long term that this is a good thing for the sport, that more teams are getting the opportunity. Now if a team like Utah, if a team like Michigan, if a team like you know, TCU or something, can turn a playoff berth into a huge boon in recruiting and then are perennially in that conversation. That's interesting, but that hasn't really happened when you look at and Ari brought this point up in his piece, Michigan State or Washington or even Oregon when they made the playoff, Florida State was an a to turn that into year over year playoff caliber teams. It's just really difficult. And we have this utopian view of college football as a sport with parody and everybody gets a shot and settle things on the field, and I just don't think it's a reality in which we live. So I'm good with expanding the playoff if that's what everybody wants do it, But I just I don't see how long term the thing that people seem to want in parody is solved. It's an opportunity, it's an invite. But also I think those of us who have watched the sport for a long time, which I assume is most people listening to this show kind of understand how it's going to go, even if they don't want to admit it.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, you can't expand this playoff the thirty two, right, Like, there's only so many teams that are truly title worthy. And while I do think it's important to expand it beyond four. I always thought for it was kind of dumb. You've got five power conferences, You've got a whole other group of five set of conferences that you claim are equal but aren't really, And so to start with four, to me, it was always weird.
Speaker 2: Well, they were just trying to incrementally grow, I get, and not be true too dramatic. That's what college football is. It's a very conservative sport. Competitively, it was stupid.
Speaker 1: It was a stupid move to do what they did. I get why they did it, it was still stupid. So now we're at this point where expansion seems inevitable. If we go to twelve, there will probably be calls to go to sixteen at some point or even right. That's what worries me. Bracket creep. That was the term for it way back whencket creep when we started doing sixty eighteen. Yeah, I don't know. I'm I'm for it until i'm against it. I'm I'm I'm playing the Politically, you'd have Yeah, you'd have crowds chanting flip flop at you.
Speaker 2: I think that's how that would work.
Speaker 1: I would I'm worried about what it does to some of those rivalries in the same way that you are. But at the same time, if the sport is now committed fully to the bit of trying to crown a champion, then this is the only way you can do it. We'll see, we'll see when we get here. You know, it's a few years down the line. It'll be here before you know it. But hopefully before then we'll have, you know a lot better since for as Jim Phillips says, what some of the other changing factors in college football are doing to the sport. Hopefully by that point in time we'll get all these other wrinkles ironed out. But certainly a news story that we're going to have to keep tabs on here over the next couple months and years.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you this, Yeah, both of our teams have been on the precipice, much more so than ninety five percent of programs in college football of winning a national championship. In the last decade or so. Notre Dame has been in the playoff a couple times, was in a BCS national championship against Alabama. Oregon has been in two national championship games and lost them, and we were certainly rooting like hell for our teams to win national championship because it would have been cool to see our teams win. So this may sound like a leading question, but I think that context is important that we really have wanted over the course of the last ten to twelve years our teams to win national championships. Is it good for college football to be a national championship focused sport? And I don't know, there is no college football. We have a number of conferences who want different things and teams who want different things within those conferences with different realistic goals. The focus on a national championship the end all be all thing, Like, is that a good thing to sort of have as a center, a central point of a conversation around the sport because obviously all sports, all major sports, are organized in different ways. You know, you have EPL where somebody just kind of wins based on what happens during the season. But then you have the Champions League where you have all sorts of great teams playing in a tournament. You have you know, the way the Stanley Cup and NBA playoffs in baseball where they play a series of games like it's all organized in different ways. College football has always been culturally and competitively an outlier from the other major sports, and I sort of think, and it's impossible to go backwards. I understand that. I totally am fully willing to admit that. But is there anything that we can do as a duo with whatever our audience is. Is there anything that can be done in the way the sport is framed and the way that even conferences think about their TV networks think about the sport where we're maximizing the season, and we're maximizing say January first, like New Year's Day used to be a holiday. The scarcity of January first was the best thing ever. Is there anything that we can do in the way that the sport is framed and organized that at least moves the focus away?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if we're moving the focus away from the championship, the next obvious place to move it would be to qualifying for the playoff. Whatever that looks like much the way that you would try to put value on a conference championship. There are a lot of teams out there for who may.
Speaker 2: It's still funneling, I know, but.
Speaker 1: You know, if we're going under the assumption that there's really only three teams that can win it. Anyway, getting to the playoff is something that you can recruit on getting to the playoff if you're a group of five team, If you can do it in a couple of years, that's suddenly a big time recruiting tool. Maybe we've got a group of five program that jumps up and is suddenly a lot more prominent the new school Boise State, if you will. That's interesting to me, and that's interesting to a lot of the people that listen to the show. So focusing in this future state on playoff qualification instead of national championship is one angle that I think makes some sense. Another way that you could play it is it could just go full contrarian Dan. You could go full Contraria and the way you have on occasion and really try to highlight the rivalries and focus on in season storylines and not so much on the playoff. You know, playoff be damned storyline, something that we got to follow at, something we got to cover here on a college football podcast. But by not putting as much emphasis on that the way the national media would, perhaps then you carve out a separate lane for yourself and you find some sympathizers with you. Beyond that, though, it is hard to go up against this gigantic media storm that is an expanded playoff. Whenever it comes to fruition, it's gonna be suffocating in the same way that the playoff was suffocating the first time around. I'm a playoff proponent. I was all for it then, I'm all for it now. I'm interested in how this plays itself out. I have concerns as well, maybe not to the extent that you do, but I just think it will be you will have more Jimmy Kimmel commercials, you will have more custom jingles, You'll have more of the stupid who's in stuff from ESPN whoever gets it. You'll have probably multiple networks at that point doing the commercials as well. It will be in your face if you're a college football fans, So perhaps to just go full one eighty, we're steering into bedlam as our national championship. That's one way you could go at it. My hunch is that there'll be a lot of folks who are very, very sick of all the promotional material that comes with a new playoff.
Speaker 2: Of course, more teams means more emphasis on making the playoff, on winning the playoff, and I don't know. I'm just I don't see that in changing the way that the sport is framed in any sort of advantageous way.
Speaker 1: At that point, fallout boys probably in their fifties. Are they right in another jingle for the next version of the playoff like you did the first time around? I don't know if there's an audience for that.
Speaker 2: If we're up to my three year old fallout boy can do no and he's all in, so no matter their age, he's ready. If we're up to the rest of the country and the consuming public, I'm not so sure. Yeah, It's what I think we actually need to get to is we need to get to a point where we rethink the postseason and you can call various things a playoff, even if it's like reorganized bull pods and we have a mega January first blowout and then we have a couple teams emerge from that where I don't know what it is. I think the way that the sport is organized in conferences, I think we're heading to a point where if we still want a national championship, if we still want a playoff. We're going to need to get to a point where there are I've talked about like an ESPN side of things and a Fox side of things, that the reason why playoffs work in other sports is they're organized in a much more sensical way. Well, there are fewer teams, Yes, there are fewer teams. There are far fewer teams. And look, if we are going to be honest, Cincinnati is a major program. Cincinnati is in fact the first group of five pro to make the playoff. But they happen to be a major program playing in the American So I still am of the mind that the sport needs to be organized in a better way of how seriously and unseriously programs take major college football. And until we get to that point, we're just we're just daisy chaining in half thought of ideas in pursuit of something that isn't actually advantageous for the sport. So it's going to expand we're going to talk about it. We will profit from it in our own very tiny little way, but in terms of good for the people who actually care about the sport, who are on recruiting message boards, who are watching spring games, who are watching random you know, Hawaii Fresno State at midnight Eastern or whatever. I don't think the playoff and expanding the playoff is doing right by the central core audience of the sport. I don't know. I think those people of which we are too, I think those people are being led into this. What if we made college football a little more like the NFL when it's just not.
Speaker 1: Well not Look soliverbo at gmail dot com is the email address, as always where you can write in. If you're a Patreon subscriber, you can send us a note on discord. We'll be stopping by pretty much all of the normal checkpoints to see what folks have to say about this. I do feel like you have converted some to your side of the argument, which is but that's which is go back to the bulls Now, it's not gonna happen. You know.
Speaker 2: No, I'm good with bowls and bcs. I'm good with that. But it's Look, it's again, we're not moving backwards. I just there's this like notion that like college football will be better if we include the West coast, when a lot of people on the West Coast don't care about college football. I'm from here, I went to school here, and it's a reality, like, oh, people are going to care more about the playoff if Washington or Oregon or USC isn't it now. They cared about the playoff because Pete Carroll was at USC, because they knew or the BCS because they knew Matt Liner and Reggie Bush's name. There were household names. It's basically impossible right now in twenty twenty two, if we're going to live in the present, to have long lists of household names in the sport. But all of these other sports with household names are able to succeed because people care, people know about the names, people care, and so we are we're trying to fit the sport into like a weird funnel when the reality of twenty twenty two is such that like just doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: More to come on this story, for sure, it had been talked about for a good part of the last year. It sort of came out of the blue that a twelve team playoff, a proposal for the playoff had emerged, that they were going to take it up, that there was a possibility they could take it up sooner, that they could change the system. That's not going to happen, not gonna happen for a couple more years, but they're surely not to stop talking about it, So let us know your thoughts. Again, We're on Twitter, all the social media platforms, right and let us know. We'll post clips from this episode out there. Please feel free to respond on those clips. Let us know what your thoughts are. But playoff expansion not happening for the interim, would you go to a.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame twelve team playoff game like an opening round game. I know you're not a big travel person because of the show and you need to be in the studio and stuff. But if it worked out that, you know, Notre Dame was playing in such a tantalizing matchup and in a place that you'd want, like Notre Dame Texas in Austin. You like Austin a lot, I would be intrigued.
Speaker 1: I would be intrigued going to one of those games on campus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would be intrigued by that. And to be honest with you, all the other stuff aside, that's the part that I find the most exciting. That's the part that I find the most excited about. An expanded field having first round games on campus. I don't know where they're at with that, by the way, I don't know if that's going to be a thing or not going to be a thing. They're trying to force feed that through the bowl system or what. But that possibility of keeping games on campus, really high leverage games on campus is exciting to be I'd love to go to not just a Notre Dame game, any of those games.
Speaker 2: I would love it to be on the front end. I would love people talk about all of these great matchups between teams that you normally don't get to see play against each other. I would love some sort of central body and some sort of ping pong show in May, in February or whatever in the doldrums of the college football year to select like every team has four non conference games, and there are two or three of them. If you're a Power five program, hopefully the ping pong ball bounces your way. We're only playing on campus, and we're getting all sorts of crazy fun. Matt, we get Oregon, Florida, we get Notre Dame. I mean, Notre Dame's played a lot of non conference games as an independent team, but you get you know, Notre Dame Washington or Notre Dame Texas. We a few years ago with the eighteen wheeler game, like, we have all of these matchups and it helps us to actually figure out who's good for determining a national championship at the end of the year because the data is so much more meaningful. See that's what i'd like. I like this addressed on the front end rather than in a playoff. But I don't know, maybe I'm different.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the drill, folks. Soliverbalgmail dot com, Solid Verbal dot COM's the website right in let us know your thoughts. As we said at the top, Dan currently out in sunny southern California. You'll be back. You're coming back tomorrow, right.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely so.
Speaker 1: You'll be back in the normal digs in time for the Thursday episode. Video will be available for that one courtesy overbowlers dot com. Don't forget to go on out there, check that out. Don't forget to subscribe, rate, review, like share. I don't know what other verbs I've left out there, but you certainly know how it works if you're listening to this podcast. Solid Giveaway dot Com is now reopened for business. Get your name in the hat for a signed Jonathan Taylor tailback. It only says Jonathan Taylor, doesn't say Jonathan Taylor tailback on the helmet.
Speaker 2: But well that's not as fun.
Speaker 1: Go out there, complete a few free and easy steps to get your name in the running, and last will certainly not least feel free to follow along on social media. Dan, that's all I got for today. Kind of a express version of our normal goofiness as we talked through a few news items. For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrand. We will catch you all on Thursday. In the meantime, stay solid, peace,