Speaker 1: Every day a week ago, clicks up the Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's the j en Vy Jesse, Larry Charlamagne the Guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We have a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, from the Gritted Eggs Podcast, Deontay Kyle.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Goddamn cat, Big Ice.
Speaker 3: How you're feeling good? We're good, man. It's cold, bro, excited to be here, tripping Bro, Like you're from Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I'm from South Carolina too, so you never really get used to this cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's like I had to jump out of ober, Like, Bro, I might as well just walk jackets, Big jack.
Speaker 3: Matter.
Speaker 1: What's the origin story of the Grits and Eggs podcast?
Speaker 4: I started doing TikTok from the truck just how to you know. I'm like, you consume a lot of media when you're on the road. I was like, man, I feel like I could throw my head in here. I feel like I got something to say. Yeah, charg drive Yeah, for the last five years, I actually just stopped driving trucks in April, you know what I'm saying. So once the ticks has started blowing up, I just kind of like foresight was just like I gotta find something else to do. I can't just live on this one app and I want to kind of get long form with it. So YouTube natural place to go in the podcast, just in like the place where people speak freely. So it's like, well, I mean, I figure out how much it cost to set this thing up.
Speaker 3: I just started in the back of the truck.
Speaker 4: And then once it started gain tractioning me, I called him and I was like, Yo, come work this camera for me. Because we had a little Canning camera go out like every twelve minutes, and I was like, man, just come hit the button every twelve minutes. We had to continue to shot little Sony four k joint and I was like, yeah, it just run that and then just the chemistry is just naturally started picking up.
Speaker 2: I'm not even at the twelve minutes because anybody that taped the podcast from the beginning knows that the camera would shut off automatically twelve years. Yeah, so you either have to reset it every twelve minutes or get two views so that way you could go back and forth.
Speaker 3: That's what it was doing.
Speaker 4: The continual shot was grainy, but it was like a decam and it was like it'll keep going so in between times because sometimes he'll be like you forget, I forget because we talked as friends, he ain't really seeing me do my thing, so he like kind of getting lost in the message. And then I'm like, Yo, get the camera, bro, get on the camera. The red light not on, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, it was it was just a continuation of like smaller social media clips into long fun content, like you can only say so much in three minutes, and you can only hold people attention so much on TikTok.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I was just like, all right, let's get a long form and get the audience to actually want to dive into these topics. You've been doing it for five years? No, no, no, I've been doing I started a podcast two years ago in March, so, uh two years visual in January. Oh you ahead of schedule then, because you know, there was always a statistics show that it usually takes a podcast sixty seven years to really.
Speaker 1: Really really take off. And for you to already be cutting through after only a couple of years, that's damn good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't have to prove a concept from social media though, So, like I didn't come into it like without an audience I had. I was like one hundred thousand strong on TikTok when I started, and so I was like, all right, well kind of integrate these folks.
Speaker 3: And I know, like integration is like ten percent.
Speaker 4: I was like, you get a thousand people to watch the yeah, I'm good. When we was getting a thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you got that mentality because people be acting like a thousand people not a lot of people. Other people be outside right now.
Speaker 4: The real We did our first show one hundred and fifty people looking at you on the face.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, that's right.
Speaker 4: I was like, I need a minute, broball, like this is insane, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But we done got used to that part too.
Speaker 5: Because yeas you mess up, you know what I'm saying. It's the same with comedy. It's like transitioning from being uh, this this person will make skits and all that, and then you go on stage and now they're looking at you and you can't delete or you can't.
Speaker 4: Edited, Yeah, they got it, and then they looking at you like this entertain us, do it do the thing you do?
Speaker 5: How was the first live show.
Speaker 3: It was cool man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it was so much love too, because we got invited out there and so like, you know, us being like a podcast that's centered around like a black experience and the community issues for us to go to like one of the blackst cities in America. They invited us and a lot of people. I'm going to Mississippi to do nothing. So it was our first show, so much love in it. But we done kind of got seasoned. We do a couple of shows in Atlanta. We got to show tomorrow out here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A difficult thing to talk about when you talk about the podcast, what's one thing you'd be like, Ah, we got to talk about that as a relationship. As a politics is itationships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 4: I start away from anything that's like low hanging fruit, things that people just do just to get clicks.
Speaker 3: I don't do raise bait.
Speaker 4: Either you're gonna engage with this because you're genuinely interested, or you're gonna keep it pushing, you know what I mean. I'm not I'm not trying to come with a hook. I'm not doing none of that because relationships, that's two people. I don't know what I don't know how you was raised. I don't know what type of love you grew up around, So I can't tell you how to love or how to receive love, or how to operate with your partner. Like that's that's just gonna have people disagreeing, and that's good for engagement, but ain't long lasting.
Speaker 6: Say, how do you choose in the community?
Speaker 7: What Because there's always a lot going on, what you spend your time focusing on what's low hanging fruit and what's not.
Speaker 4: I just don't react, you know what I mean? Like, like the thing about TikTok. What I learned early on how to separate myself is like, don't just make a video soon as something come out, because you're gonna miss the mark. You don't got all the information. You don't know if the headline was false, you don't know if it's AI. You don't know nothing. So I just sit back and kind of let like get my own perspective on it, and like kind of research things too. People just be talking. People just say stuff, and then you come out and you ain't researched. I started to see this happen with lgs a lot now Instagram, Like they reposting stuff and like reacting and stuff and it's like that's AI, it's not it's notorious for that, Pete Rock, what you.
Speaker 3: Be doing a stuff like oh my god, this is real. Pep right, this.
Speaker 1: I got one time with what was the brother name, Kyle Lacy. It was they said it was his mom and I got it from an eternity being Crump's page. So it was his mom talking about what happened to him and I just reposted it and it was a Yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Get a little wicked because it's like you don't want to because then it's like it's it's not really a credibility thing. Anybody can get got by it, especially with it being some new But I think with just reacting to things off your like emotional standpoint, you can't take your back like once you post it in you know the internet thing like if you you take a puss down, they're like scared.
Speaker 1: But you gotta admit when you're wrong. Yeah, that's all you gotta do too, because your audience will appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the human aspect of it is just being able to just say you're wrong. Don't double down on your life, don't double down when you when you mess up down here and be like, yeah, I missed, mister Mark, I'm human.
Speaker 7: Now that people are coming to y'all as like a source of education, how has that changed or has it changed your approach and how you present information? Is there like a pressure because people like my little brother loves your content and he swears by everything you said? Yeah, I like literally does that add pressure into how you put out your content on what you choose to up?
Speaker 4: Not really, I don't. I never approached it as like an authority. These things I was talking about anyway, These are things conversations I was having with lot of my friends, family, the homies, like any anytime I used to rap, like in between songs and the engine er doing this thing. I was always talking about like owning our own stuff or like you know, just like organically creating a following different ways and strategic and then it was naturally leading to things that's going on in the community.
Speaker 3: I had these opinions already.
Speaker 4: So a lot of my stuff is things that I researched, lectures that I watch and kind of digest it for myself, but also like life experience. I don't talk about nothing, no, no, So I don't got that pressure to feel like I'm an authority on something or I gotta say something like it's ten other creators out here that said something about that.
Speaker 3: Go watch the video. They might have hit it.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna regurgitate information just because you want to hear it from me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: My brother wants to start this like trucking company, and he has a whole idea. And when he told me about it, he sent me the video that you did on ownership. It was like, you could work all these businesses and try to become a millionaire, but what they give to you they could take from you, right, And that was his way of telling me, like I need to help him figure that out.
Speaker 6: But yeah, yeah, so he.
Speaker 3: Leans into y'all lot, Yeah for sure, shout out your little brother.
Speaker 7: His name is don Don't on the truck.
Speaker 1: Why the name grits and eggs, Like, what does that represent about the show's voice of the identity I was.
Speaker 4: I was kind of thinking about when I came to my own, like when I started thinking for myself, making my own decisions and started real young. I was like eleven, when my folks had split up. My mom actually moved to Atlanta, and we started in women to North Carolina with our dad, and Passa's like, look, bro y'all, Mama grond I got to pick up another job.
Speaker 3: Grits, gris and eggs. That's to go to all the time. It's always gonna be on there. Learn how to.
Speaker 4: Cook that you can take care of yourself twice a week. Come throw us pot of spaghetti in there. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You good?
Speaker 4: So it was just like this how I kind of game my autonomy. I was taking care of my siblings. I ain't have to do nothing if I don't want to. If I didn't want to go to school, I ain't have to, you know what I mean. But I also started making like responsible decisions for myself too, and too like all the hemies at school when'm a skied school.
Speaker 3: And be a humb by myself.
Speaker 4: I ain't trying to do that, but it was just like it reminded me of a time when I was like really starting to think for myself. And then it just like it's southern, you know, it's black, and it's it sounds good, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying. So it hit all my marks and I was like, yeah, we're going a roun with it.
Speaker 1: Ain't no better breakfast bro a biscuits every day you live.
Speaker 3: You're full too.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, right, so you went from social media to now doing your live shows? Right, what are some of the challenges that you would face when you when you made that transition, Like, because you mentioned earlier it's one in the seats is like, now what do I do? Like, what are some of the other challenges?
Speaker 1: What did you realize?
Speaker 4: I think it's just figuring how to structure the show. It's not the same when we me and himuld go off on a tangent, like we're just banter sometimes, and it's like you can't really do that in a live show because you kind of got to involve the crowd. You want them to be involved. So also, you know, rushing through your talking points my first show, like I had all these talking points and I done went through them because I'm nervous for real. So I'm just like, I'm not pacing, I'm not taking my time, I'm not pausing, I'm not doing none of that that I would do on the show. And then I was like, damn man, it's like we're only fifteen minutes and they don't know, And I'm like that to slow bro, and I was like, big, what's up baby?
Speaker 3: Talk to the people.
Speaker 4: But I was like with me, but when you start interacting, I like the thing that I do at the live shows now is like, you know, normally you wait till the end, you do a Q and A and they ask you questions. But I got these topics that surround already my talking points were, but I like to pose a question to the crowd because like, I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Could trust my crowd.
Speaker 4: They intelligent people, and every time we post questions of the crowd and they come up, it's like so much substance that they bring because a lot of these people be like professionals, Like we got professors that come, doctors, all people from all talk about so life and shit like that. So it's like, damn, I can really trust my crowd and I can feed off them too, and that actually like build out the interaction.
Speaker 3: But they really feel like they're part of the show too.
Speaker 7: When you're doing cultural commentary, right, and both of y'all have so much different perspective and personal experience in preparation how long because I feel like y'all conversations between each other. Well, probably go for hours in preparation. How do you cut it and be like this is what we gonna take from it there because your clips online get straight.
Speaker 6: To what you need to get to.
Speaker 3: I mean, we just focus on the main the main thing.
Speaker 9: We keep the main thing, the main thing, because like I said, like he said, we can bant it for hours. We can go for hours and hours about different different topics and subjects, but basically we just you know, he focus on he gets his key points, he writes them down on the talk on the whiteboard, and then we'll go over and then we just go from the show from there.
Speaker 3: Brother, don't even know what we're gonna talk about. I really don't. He just put it's like the whiteboard full.
Speaker 4: And it's like, but I know him, you know what I'm saying, and we know each other for so long, it's like it's natural.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's natural, Like he gonna fall in.
Speaker 4: He got a different perspective on a lot of things too, but it's the ideology is a line, so you know what I'm saying, Like like when we kick the mathematics to him, like because you know he got the five percent of knowledge and all of it. It's just kind of like showcasing all these different black thoughts, you know what I mean. But as far as picking the topic, it's like, for real, I might pull a topic from this conversation, like I like to pull it from real life situations and you know, just things that I actually care about, Like if we see issues in our community, it ain't really like it ain't.
Speaker 3: Progressive to like beerate each other.
Speaker 4: And a lot of people think that that's the way to get a point across, Like I gotta brate you, I gotta talk down like, hey, bro yall, mama talk to you. That don't time to me like that, you know what I'm saying. A lot of people bringing stuff from their household when you bring up to the community. If you start empathy, I love, it's like people don't receive that, you know, the same way you receive information. So if it feels like it's coming from somebody who cares, then I think the messican can get across. But I think getting right to it, like especially on social media.
Speaker 3: I don't need no hood. This is what we're talking about, and then we gonna go through.
Speaker 1: So Cat, you don't even be knowing what he gonna talk about it when you come up to the house. He got on the Satan mask with a shoot on. First of all, when I came to the house, that they okay. He came to the door regular, He said, I got surprised for you. I said, all right, cool. He goes upstairs.
Speaker 9: You ready, I said, YOA come on, nigga, come downstairs in a Trump suit with a Saint mat I said, I know what kind of episode is going to be.
Speaker 3: I already know what the sponsors to go be. You know what I'm saying. But that's the type of ship we do though. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: If somebody say something online, like they try to counsel them every two weeks over something that he say, but the people ain't listening, trying.
Speaker 3: To cancel you and they listen to react, no listen to the message. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I think it's because a lot of people are gonna say free but free thought with black people in black community sometimes there's a big fight of what people think free thought is and what they don't think it is. And with you, you kind of just say things that people are really not going to say.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean systemically free thought come with big punishment, and so I think a lot of it is like maybe not cancel them, Like maybe the folk be scared for me, because I'd be saying for like protecting them, like protect me from who?
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: I ain't tripping on that.
Speaker 4: Like if we're not gonna say, I mean, what's the point We're gonna play the game like a cow? Then what's the point I don't need no podcast If I'm playing a game like a cow, I could just go take a little money that they try to get to me ere two weeks or whatever the case may be. But we got like stract stances on what we not advertising, where we not going with it, what we're not gonna talk about. And you know, I think the bigger thing is just like it's it worked to get us here. What I'm changing it up for, you know what I mean, I ain't really I ain't scared to talk about now as far as like, you know, whatever the topic may be that oh this will get you shot up band whatever.
Speaker 3: I don't own the apps, bro, I own it.
Speaker 4: So it's like, Okay, if I see people constantly getting shadow Man for stuff, maybe we say this for a patron you know, you just got another game.
Speaker 3: You're playing in the fields you're in like on none of these apps.
Speaker 4: So if I see them punishing folks, let's go somewhere where we already got our subscription for the service. We know our faults over here, we got a discord over here, let's talk about it or not everything.
Speaker 3: I gotta be for the public all the time.
Speaker 1: But you know, what you just talked about is making a choice. And I think that there's a misconception that when you work for a corporate entity, you can't talk about the things you want to talk about, right, you can't. You just make the choice. You make choice, the choice, yeah, and deal with what comes with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know the rule. You know what I'm saying, But you sign the rules.
Speaker 1: Don't come from the rules. The backlash ain't gonna come.
Speaker 3: From corporate No, you know what I mean, It's not come from the consumer.
Speaker 1: The consumer or the person you actually talked about. If I go on Fox News and I talk about Donald Trump, which I have, and that Donald Trump calls me a racist swede bag with a low IQ, which he has, that just comes with me, you know, making the choice.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean, ain't it ain't gonna change, and the way I approach it. I think the thing about getting canceled is like, I mean, you gotta art You gotta articulate the disagreement.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: You can't just say I don't like that you cancel. You don't control my life.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at one time it was advertising pulling immediately, but I always hated it because we should be able to have a conversation even if we don't agree with each other. Why can't we have a conversation. Well, we don't understand push the limit.
Speaker 4: For sure, because we also don't understand like what freedom and speech is. You know what I'm saying, Like, it ain't the freedom of consequences. I get, but we self censoring. Now we're gonna censor ourselves. So then when they take your freedom of speech, it's like, well, y'all slow walked us into it because you like that mob mentality to make you feel like you got power online.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, in three days you don't even care no more.
Speaker 4: And this this is messed up person, hard career regardless, like you know, the the other side of this is like Russell Lumball had like.
Speaker 3: A very lucative career. I ain't agree with.
Speaker 4: Most And then he said, but I can understand the power of that community. They did agree with him, allowing him to do it for so long, and we were.
Speaker 3: Right here, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We did a joint show with Russ before and went back and forth and everything agreed to disagree and all of that.
Speaker 4: I think, I think you need a diversity of thought. If you only engaging with stuff that you agree with all the time, your scope of intelligence is gonna shrinks because you're an echo chamber. So I always dive into like like a lot of people were saying they ain't no who like Charlie, Kurt web for he died and whatnot, Like I did. I pay attention to folks like that because I need to know what these folks think about this. And that doesn't find the community too, but also too, It's like why they kicking it like that? If you're not basing no facts, I really don't want to hear it, but it's being said, so we need to know it's being said about it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Has there been anybody that has reached out to y'all to come onto the podcast to debate some of y'all thought that.
Speaker 6: You're like, nah, this is harmful. We don't want to have this conversation.
Speaker 4: No, never, because I ain't debating ugh, but debates on change minds. It's just we just having a pisson context. I'm cool on that. You know what I'm saying. You can stitch a video and do your thing.
Speaker 1: I ain't baiting they said you debate your Piers everybody else you teach you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A lot of people come on the show man like, no, we ain't doing that. Really ain't doing that, Noah.
Speaker 9: I mean if on the line with it, if you don't like it, like if you don't want to funk with it, if he don't rock with it, it's like, we ain't doing that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: He also said, like people have been reaching out to us for a bag for one. We don't do no gambling if you won't do no DIC pills. So we always talk to.
Speaker 3: No mail enhancement.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, it's the reasons reason for this, you know what I mean, that'd be offering to you know, but I'd be like, and if they answers again, everybody getting fired because I already said no. So it's like the thing is you know, big care Bro, Like this is my dog, Bro, I'd be cool, like I don't really we we we wanted a few shows where people would prefer for us to have the solid episode anytime we drop I guess on Wednesdays, Like Wednesdays is our Sollo slot. We didn't have our guests for the longest. He ain't even our camera, you know what I'm saying. So I'm for a facing. We don't drop Wednesday episodes. They like, yeah, that's cute now, but you can give that another thing. Wednesday is our day. We're doing the knowledge on Wednesdays. So I mean, now we got to guess episodes. But if you're not hip to who I am, I'm not hip to what you do. I'm not like a marketing company, bro the promo. Are we here to have a conversation. I don't know who you is.
Speaker 2: I think it's good. I think it's good because sometimes we get stuck in our own chamber, right, but we don't know what's going on or see what's going on. Like her brother listens to you all the time. He listens from a different perspective, for sure, So I watch you from a different perspective. I watch you from the clips because I don't have time to watch full episode. But it's sometimes it's putting on people that might not know who you are, but be like, damn, that's a small brother. Those are small brothers. Let me let me check them out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I say this, I took my strategy when it comes to guests. It's kind of like the Joe Rugan strategy. I like to take people that is in feels like we just interview a black extra physicists, uh black like psychologists. We interviewed quite a few, like therapists. I'm pulling from different schools of thought. But it ain't really necessarily about your following or nothing like that. It's like if I like what you're talking about, or if it's out of my range of capability, Like I don't know nothing about astrophysics, for really, he do, and somebody listening might be interested in this, or their child might watch it, like people watch our show with their children. So it's like this might send him on the career path. But I'm also like, I got like some little nerdy questions to ask you, bro, and you you the professional, You the expert. I'm gonna gonna ask you, But I think we need to see like a spectrum of black thought, and it ain't always got to be black radical thoughts. Sometimes it's just pure education. Sometimes it's just these are feels. We don't know what people in We gonna interview a marine biologists top of twenty twenty six. It's like, I just want to see, like see blackness in this full thing, this monolift that we got.
Speaker 3: But that's dope, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's always been all model here, same thing. Bring everybody, anybody with an area of expertise, you know, especially black people. You know, let's why not why not give them a platform.
Speaker 2: That kid's mind, you know what, I want to try that. Let me look look that up in school, Let me do my homework on that, which sometimes we don't get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all have y'all lover caught y'allself like in the moment, like shout of here's wildent y'all. Don't y'all like like where you like kind of freezer, like what's like because you can see where people I don't know about you you.
Speaker 3: Take it up with them.
Speaker 4: But like I think sometimes I know when people coming because they want to like, oh, this would be good, like I can get some clips or whatever. It's like, I don't went down your pathg ain't talk about for real cool on that. You know what I'm saying. It's plenty of folks you can talk to and the following really doesn't matter. It's like, is this gonna be like not benefit me, but like benefit the audience. It's gonna add anything. Is we're gonna be able to have a real conversation or you just want to come up here so you can disagree with me in front of everybody.
Speaker 1: Cool, But you know what, y'all learning of very a very good part of your skill set because when women used to always tell me, you're only gonna interview somebody like jay Z wants right, though you might interview Rihanna Beyonce wants right. They come to listen to you every single day. So it's the same thing with y'all. With the podcast, right, people want to hear from y'all to every single episode that I know I can stand on right. Everything else is gravy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels good to have established it ourselves without like we were not like formerly media trained or even in entertainment, like we kind of grassroots came up. TikTok is a great platform for like the everyday person to kind of voice their opinion and perspective. And you know, I'm just grateful that people right with me in the way they do, like, because I don't think that everything got to be a situation where people are placed in front of you by corporations or entities or you know, I've been grinding ten years and I just pivoted to this. It's like, bro, I'm in truck, I just like you. You know what I'm saying. Every day, I'm working sixty hours a week. I'm taking care of my babies. You know what I'm saying, but also out of mind and perspective on things too that I feel like it's valuable to the conversation.
Speaker 1: And those my favorite podcast stories, and I know that, you know, there's a lot of rappers and athletes and celebrities that get into the podcast get my favorite podcast stories of people like yourselves and to read and Mandy and Wheezy, people who weren't weren't in media at all, like doing corporate jobs, driving trucks and decided know it, I got something to say, I want to tell my unique story and then people gravitate towards it. To me, that's what the essence of podcasting is about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a bit on yourself for sure. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: So earlier you said you don't talk about surface level ship, you know, none of the little hanging through. But what's a cultural moment right that it's taking place? And you've seen online that you felt like absolutely needed a Grits and Eggs tape.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like we talk about everything. The pumpy shit was good, I said, yeah, you know, I think the most recent thing we kind of like fuzz being it's like the whole like Rory in my situation of the tweets, but it's just like I just be thinking, like that fun and like, hey bro pack it up, you know what I'm saying, Like it's cool because we're kind of in this podcast space, like on some fun friendly stuff like yeah, get up out of the way, like we're making way for ourselves. But like cultural moments, they come and go. If it's too much conversation about it on social media, I don't really feel like I could add that to it. If I don't feel like I could add that if I've got a fresh perspective. Man, I'm cool on it because it's like, like I said, we just regard to having the same thing. If people ask me what my opinion on stuff, and I know a creator that has like a point in opinion, I'll be like, go watch them got you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But I feel like, you know what makes you all successful with y'all got a mission baked in to y'all podcast. At least that's what I feel when for sure, So what's the what do you think the intentional through line behind your conversations is?
Speaker 6: I think you click something yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: And you AI D I T.
Speaker 8: We'll stop talking for we got got just like that.
Speaker 1: But what do you think the intentional through line behind your conversation?
Speaker 4: I think, for one, I know I can't change nobody's mind, but I can change that perspective, right. I think that the big overarching thing is like liberation, you know what I'm saying, And liberation outside of the system, liberation outside of the way you're thinking, liberation for black people, like and then it's going to expand of course to like all people of color, all poor people, all people that face oppression. But I think for more than anything, it's like we cifle through, We cycle through a lot of talking points, saying the same ship over and over, and it's never really a situation where I'm trying to help somebody grow. It's just like a lot of people are just happy, like, yeah, I don't think like that, but you do. So I'm smart, you're dumb, I'm rich, you're poor, all these different things. Like I got to like tip the scales like that, Really we can leave opportunity for everybody to grow. And a lot of people don't want to see other girls for whatever reason. But for me, it's like I come from blue collar work, Bro. I know how many brilliant people is out here in the world that don't even have social media. And then I also know there's a lot of brilliant people that can add the conversations that can help us grow and help us see things in a different way because a lot of times, like I said, we live in these echo chambers where we kind of constantly get in the same feedback loops, and a lot of the issues be with self esteem, bro, And like we just it's very easy to tear each other down, And I think that's the route that people take, Like it was, like, you know, it takes a lot more to care about somebody than it do to like, you know, just like cut them deep and just be like that's the easy thing to do. A lot of us grow up in households where that's the play, like cut you down real quick.
Speaker 3: But I don't.
Speaker 4: I want us to actually like be willing to express a love and care for one another publicly.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, how do you avoid that noise?
Speaker 2: Because you know, with a lot of time with podcasts, anybody in the public, right you do it for the right reason mostiple anger say everybody does, but most people want to do it for the right reason. They want to help and they realize the people that they're trying to help somehow some way. Terms right, it could be another podcast, there could be another personality. How do you deal with that where you feel like it's it's not a mental thing and you keep going through it and don't let that ball do you affect you and that of your day?
Speaker 4: I think that first it's just being honest about it that they do about it, you know what I'm saying, Like it don't feel good to be taught about negatively, especially by multitude of people, and to feel misunderstood in the midst of that too. So I can acknowledge the feeling, but I don't got to defend it. I can back up a little bit, like maybe I was wrong, maybe I did say something that miss the mark. But at the same time too, it's like, sometimes you gotta put that phone down, bro, like in a real way, just put the phone down, like gone about your day, and like, you know, I got kids. I like can't spend all day arguing with fouls online. My baby hunger and like that. It can pin a bun of jail time. So hold on, let me respond to this real quick. Got me messed up, like.
Speaker 1: I'm not now you got the kid?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Up?
Speaker 3: Like bro, bro, this man tripping bro.
Speaker 4: And it's like, you know, you got to live your real life too, I think I don't you know.
Speaker 3: Social media.
Speaker 4: Social media can be affirming, it could be very validating at times, and I also tear you down. So it's like just find the balance and all of it. It's like I take the good just like I take the bad, you know what I mean, Because if you get caught up in it. It'll people people.
Speaker 3: Having mental breaks, Like people be breaking mentally because my dad, my.
Speaker 1: Daddy, you said, you never as good as they say you are, You never as bad as they say exactly. And one of my radio mentors and Cadillac Jack, he would say, the rule of ten, three people go agree with you when you say something. Three people will not go agree with you. Four people don't even know what the fun going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I keeping you speak about like how people get certain things from growing up in their household.
Speaker 6: Do you ever talk about yours? Do you ever talk about yours?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: The birth for the Grisons is out of that. Like when my focks split up that joint, it changed a lot in me because when you in the household with people that like really can't stand each other, but they trying.
Speaker 3: To keep it together for the kids.
Speaker 4: It's like it informed me so much, like, oh, they don't think we're paying attention for real, or they don't think we could feel like it's tension in here. So I think a lot of that stuff in front of you, making hyper vision it. So then it gets to a position where like when I'm with my parts, I could do whatever I want because he and her, and then when I go with my mama, she's super strict. Now I gotta find a balance and I'm bucking too, like, but you got me missed up. Like I literally just came from a situation where I'm out til one in the morning because my parts, like he get off work, he do bouncing that nightclub.
Speaker 3: He get home like two o'clock, but he got the car. The car so loud, like squeaking.
Speaker 4: Wise, as long as I'm within eyeshot of the crib, I can hear him coming like from the front of the neighborhood, like all right, y'all boy, y'all here the man.
Speaker 3: We're in the house. And then I'm in the house like that, Yeah, what's up? That happened?
Speaker 4: But I think, you know, I think the truth is is like as vulnerable as I am about my situation and everything, the thing that I realized is like, once you push through like the kind of anxiety about exposing yourself just being honest about your experience, you realize how many people that went through it too, So you're really actually helping people because they don't feel alone. So you know, we don't talk about several things. I think the biggest thing, the hardest thing for me to kind of come forward was like you know, dealing with sexual saldy as a child and stuff like that. But so many men came out like, bro, if you hear stories about how men lose Dave Virginity's crazy.
Speaker 1: I was eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too, eight years old, and it's like it's a babysitter. You can't even say nothing. But it's like if we if we start looking tour.
Speaker 1: They like to laugh about I'm not laugh when it's a guy.
Speaker 3: Deonce, we do not laugh.
Speaker 5: He just said that his abuser head a Jerry Kill and I didn't like the.
Speaker 1: Smell that's mine. I made her quick that man, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying, because he like so if she had a swoop on the side, made her quick.
Speaker 3: Where the joke come in?
Speaker 1: We don't laugh, no, man. When I was young, that's what I told myself. I made her stop doing it because I didn't like to smell her Jerry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Reality is I made her stop doing it because it needs Yeah, you're.
Speaker 4: Being, yeah, but having the conversations like what we're gonna lose by being I think a lot of times it's like I just faking the funt like you everybody Okay, you know you ever hear folks say that like I got whooped and I turned off. You didn't actually didn't this morning. You know what I'm saying, I'm scared eating? Why did you streaming?
Speaker 3: But but they all right, is I don't talk about it.
Speaker 4: So if I don't talk about it, I finally acknowledge it, then it can't be bothered.
Speaker 3: And you know, like we.
Speaker 4: Talked about this the whole situation, like around food, Like when you grow up poor, it's like you got to eat everything on the plate. So then when you got adults out here, like why you eating a triple cheeseburgers because like they stomach just expanded. They be eating theyself to death since they was eight seven to eight years old because they folks just couldn't afford food.
Speaker 3: So it's like can't waste food. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of stuff that type out that our childhood. You know, therapy it helps you like recognize some of them stuff too. So when you kind of start unpacking your childhood, you just wonder how many people ain't unpacking.
Speaker 1: Their because everything when you I saw I see you on your journey, and I see that you started going to therapy. One thing therapy is gonna teach you that every single thing that you're dealing with as an adult is directly connected to something that happened to you as a child. And you spend so much time as an adult trying to heal that little traumatized little boy.
Speaker 3: Man that fruit front the roof, bro.
Speaker 4: So whatever fruit you're putting out, it got a root that it started there. And I think acknowledging that, I think one of the most five bars my therapist ever dropped. He was like, a perfection starts at inception, So if you ever made a mistake, you ain't perfect.
Speaker 3: So she stopped trying to be perfect.
Speaker 4: You know, I was like cold, I would make mistakes at seven.
Speaker 3: Well I'm trying to be perfect.
Speaker 1: I can't be perfect.
Speaker 4: No, mom, He's like, you missed one shot in the beginning of the game. You can make all the rest of them. It's still ain't one hundred percent. You ain't perfect. So you know, taking that with me too, and then just not if I put it out there, how well it's been received.
Speaker 3: It kind of takes the stigma and the fear away from it.
Speaker 4: From not only me, but for other people too, and it's like, that's really the girl for real because everybody can't afford therapy. What mean you start going, yeah, bro, this jump started again becoming a lot because dealing with all this notoriety it pull you in several different directions. Then start realizing like now I ain't got as much time as I used to and where I used to unpack these thoughts late at night, it's like, well, I'm thinking about something I did when I was thirteen, and I got to show tomorrow and I got this interview and damn, I double schedule the studio session and I got to like cancel on something, and it's like, damn, bro, I need somewhere to put this and I don't want to put it on somebody. I can't just put my dog, like everything on my partner. Yeah, that's crazy. And the day he got stuff he dealing with too, and it's like, well, there are professionals out here that deal with this. It's like and too, you have been like champion in therapy for black Man for a long time, so you know, I was like you look too. Situations like That're like okay, well, Charlott mane be telling you go therapy, let me go see what he fuk talking about. And I got a black male therapist too, so it's like, you know, I think it's also too important to be an example in that space. Like it's okay, you take the stick my way. We don't be trusting doctors. That's we got good reason behind it. But get your mind right, like, get your mind right for real, because if you don't get your mind right in this space where you're sharing a lot of your mind, you're gonna lose your mind.
Speaker 1: Is your therapist culturally competent? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's from Northfolk, Virginia.
Speaker 7: Okay, do you talk to your therapists about certain things you decide to divoge on your podcast or TikTok or whatever first before you do it?
Speaker 3: Oh nah, man, we'll be talking about me.
Speaker 4: Okay, really you know what I'm saying, Like the stuff I won't share because it's like you got to keep stuff for yourself too, you can't get folks.
Speaker 3: But then also to.
Speaker 4: Some stuff you know, you know, I got my own shortcomings and perfections too that I want to work through and like as I grow in this space, like it's great to boom and have a great career. But like if you stay routed in the same mentality or you keep packing stuff away, you know, that's where you see people crash out because he was like, dangn brother, just snap one day. But it's like he been dealing with all the pressures of being a provider, making all the money and holding up this image and stuff like that. A lot of this stuff do come with, like having a reputation, being reputable, being trustworthy, being a.
Speaker 3: Source of truth.
Speaker 4: You know, that come with pressure too because you want to maintain the integrity of the stuff too. But then you slipping in other parts of your life, that ship are gonna compound it be a rout for you.
Speaker 1: That's what about you?
Speaker 3: What's your childhood?
Speaker 8: Childhood?
Speaker 3: I had this lit childhood. I ain't going out to.
Speaker 1: You cool your trauma.
Speaker 3: T I don't have trauma.
Speaker 9: But as far as like overall my childhood, like my parents gave me a great childhood. My dad did this thing in the streets, went to prison. So that's like how where my trauma come from? Because I never I like always said, no matter how broke, I am ain't gonna see on no drugs because being in the call when you were a kid and driving through the middle of know where to go to a prison. That should do something to you, you know what I'm saying, Because then I had to leave my dad. That's my dog nowhere, Yeah, in the middle of nowhere. But but yeah, so like just seeing that and like going to a prison and seeing my dad have to these white people talking to my dad crazy, like getting in line and do this ship. That is where my trauma come from. So I always said, I never put my woman on my kid.
Speaker 3: Do that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: So, like I said, no matter how broke I am, I'd be thinking about it, like now, well I can get off of brick right now, yep. But then the other part of it, I've seen the other part of a lot of people don't talk about that. They just talk about, yeah, my dad was this in the street. But do you ever go see your dad in prison?
Speaker 3: That shit crazy?
Speaker 9: So yeah, that's that's That's the only thing traumba for my childhood. But other than that, everything I wanted.
Speaker 1: And y'all met early, y'all met, Like we're saying that about your father. You know, there was this whole thing with Mike Capsta. Think about it last week when they was like mad at him because he said you shouldn't celebrate people when the home out of prison. What y'all thought about that?
Speaker 9: I mean, we say this all the time. People who get celebrated coming out of prison. We celebrate them more than people that come home from college. You know what I'm saying. Naw, you shouldn't really get celebrated because you can't hold a prison. But were happy to see you, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: But also your cousin in college, you're struggling to eat every night. We gotta get him that money. You in jail.
Speaker 3: You know, of course we gonna help you when we can, but ship you need to help too.
Speaker 1: More do you do?
Speaker 9: But when you come home, we go celebrate you, But we should also celebrate you know, the cousin that's coming home from college that just graduated.
Speaker 3: And in our community, I think we don't see that enough.
Speaker 9: And I think, like, you know, that's that's like a big thing in our community, celebrating people that come from jail. Because go ahead, bay stress, because yeah, because like we see that more in our community, people going to jail then people going to college. And it's like, you know, how can we relate? So when you get somebody to go to college, it's like, all right, well you're home now that.
Speaker 3: What he's supposed to do.
Speaker 9: What about the person that went to jail what they were supposed to do? Yeah, so come home, get in line, get that job, get that trade. We go help you out.
Speaker 3: We ain't even throw no bigg ass party.
Speaker 2: For you at your kids? Right, How does the trauma that that you had as a child affect how you raise your kids?
Speaker 4: Man, bro, I already know that I'm just not gonna get everything right when you get out of your.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Look, man, the lder you get, the more like you just understand your parents With people, I honestly, when I make a mistake, I apologize to my children, like directly, straight up. I love on my kids lot because ween't come from a very effictionate household. I'm thinking, do you know I don't remember. I know I was in teenage years and like kind of cutting up before my folks. It was like vocally said I love you.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I kind of killed the superman early with them, Like, look, bro, I make mistakes, I mess up. I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. You're not gonna be perfect.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't kill a superman because they still think thatad he's Superman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm talking about that fiction is like, you know, I used to think my parents knew everything. Bro y'all was winging it brou because like it be times where I'm like, I'm fucking winging. I'm winging it right now. I don't got it figured out, you know what I'm saying. I'm like, Bro, it's a little Caesars. That's what I got on me right now. It's not like but and I want you want to dress it up like it's a piece of party. It's like, nah, we broke because that's where we are with it. We messed up. We're gonna get two pieces for a little Caesars, you know what I'm saying. We're gonna rock out, eat it while it's hot, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, But I think more than anything, it's like you just try to minimize it. Like for the most part, I'm gonna take everything from my parents that I feel like they did right and in part of their wisdom to my children because it worked for me and things I feel like they did wrong. I don't think we gotta demonize it, but just learn from it. Why did they think like that?
Speaker 2: That's the understanding why they did the day?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean like sometimes I look back at my dad and I would hate when it's like you got to be home with this time. You can't go there now when I got kids, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, that's why you said it.
Speaker 2: Now you can't go there. But the difference is, I explain, as I said, so you just took it.
Speaker 5: Asked why, well I couldn't. Why you know what I mean, that's because she couldn't. Right, You look at that as a form of disrespect, like you are you questioning my judgment?
Speaker 6: Is like, yeah, I am.
Speaker 3: And when and when did that start with black people?
Speaker 4: Well, we couldn't question that, so we carry that into our households and we just got to continue, you know, Like I get the idea of breaking generational curses is cool, but it's like I ain't gonna say my fault cursed me. I think we just we're healing generation by generation. We come from a rough beginning in this country, and that stuff staying on a on a genetic level of staying.
Speaker 3: So I think more than anything. I try to recognize, Like.
Speaker 4: When I'm repeating some of those behaviors too, I try not to, like try to be slow to anger. But you don't get it right all the time. Sometimes kids be tripping, like they do.
Speaker 3: What's with you?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You try, But I think the same thing too, is like you just got to take the ego out of these people. They little people. They don't know.
Speaker 2: I used to say no for no reason.
Speaker 1: You do not get to know.
Speaker 3: Why did you say.
Speaker 4: Because you can because because that's what you used to You just used to know, just like and then it's like to my point, it's like your parents don't tell you, like what the finance situation is, and then like you gotta ask your mama, Like, bro, you know the Dreamcast came out, get the face, like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but you put more pressure on it though I just seen I just seen the commercial.
Speaker 3: But I don't know what you're going through.
Speaker 1: But that's really about to say.
Speaker 9: You just put more pressure on on your parents at that point because they don't they don't know how to say like I ain't got it, I ain't got it because they want and they eyes they wanted you to look at them like they got everything. They can provide everything for you. And sometimes been telling myself like, brother, I ain't got it right now. Brom'st in sixteen, so I'll be like ship Bro sometimes and he was loving b I ain't got that shit right now now a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But one reason that we are head of the curve is because we not afraid to tell our kids our stories. Man, We're not afraid. When I started to, you know, go to therapy and start talking about my mental health issue, That's what my dad opened up to me. I ain't know my dad was on ten to twelve different medications for his mental health. I didn't know he tried to commit suicide. I didn't know he was going through a therapist two and three times a week. But when he told me that, man, I give it just made me give him all the grace in the world come like he was just a man trying to figure it out. Like I'm a man trying to figure it out, right, But it's just good to tell our kids our stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even with your or the faults, like you can extend grace tong once you learn that story.
Speaker 3: Some people ain't gonna change.
Speaker 4: I think a situation like we kind of grow up in this situation where we ready to cut everybody off of everything. We got enough contact with everybody. That's an avoidant style of dealing with stuff too. I'd rather just get you out my life. But I also understand on the other side of that, it's like, man, you can't just gonna be disrespecting me. You know what I'm saying. You're gonna recognize me as a girl and human too. And I understand a void like like just giving folk space when you realize they ag ready to grow so you can continue to grow too. Cause like trying to change somebody's mind, bro, that's the hardest thing. That's hard to change your ownline about stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't deal with the person that hadn't recognized your growth on me. Ain't even just your family, just anybody in general. Like I'm sure y'all got people from high school. That's like still trying to talk to y'all, like y'all haven't grown and who y'all are now? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: If you calling me from high school, you're STI talking about it in high school. I don't want to talk to you. Yeah, I don't want to kick it, which you can chop that bro.
Speaker 5: Even going back to what you said Kat, just now, you were talking about having a child and you're saying just no because you can, and then you're putting the pressure on. Yeah, you were talking about putting the pressure on the parent because you know they ain't got it. They don't know how to say it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: My sons seeing the best of both worlds because I didn't always have it right and now I do, you know, and been having it right. But I still don't like to you just give him because we got it now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 5: Because some people bought out of control all the time because they got it now and they didn't have it before. But I want my son, I want ask them to be open minded. I don't want him to be entitled. I don't it's certain things I don't want him, oh just because my mother got this, oh you know, and they're.
Speaker 3: Just a black experience. Yeah, I don't like to.
Speaker 1: Give him everything he asked. So like the christ if you saw this Christmas list, but.
Speaker 9: Sid, your son can't from trugtle with you though, like we've seen your son grow up with you, you know what I'm saying. That's amazing too, though, But you know, it's just you have to balance it out.
Speaker 5: But I ain't get him everything on the Christmas list.
Speaker 1: It's wrong for them.
Speaker 9: I'm not getting no because you got to teach him like some shit you got to earn.
Speaker 3: Some shit can be given. Some shing you gotta earn. You know what I'm saying. You can't give him everything.
Speaker 9: If you give a person everything, they feel entired, like, oh shit, I can get it whatever I want to get.
Speaker 5: And I have no complaints. I'm talking about straight a. My son smart as a mom like me, you know, but.
Speaker 1: I would say he's smarter, but that's that's good. Supposed to be smarter than.
Speaker 2: He's supposed to be smarter.
Speaker 3: My son is smart.
Speaker 5: But even still, I have no problem out of my kid. But still it's just something about getting him everything that he asks for when he asks for it. I have no issues with my son. I just still don't want to do that getting every single thing.
Speaker 3: No, we should.
Speaker 9: We should be able to spoil our children, you know, because the other side spoil their children, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: But the other side, you know, they had to look, you know, can't tell me nothing. We come from a place where you know, a lot of us came from humble beginnings. So we ain't always have everything, you know what I'm saying. So that's that's that's where it comes from. It's like a mental thing like I don't want to give everything because ship I ain't have everything, but my mom did try to give me what she could. But you can give them what you what you want. And that's a difference, and I think it's way your struggle.
Speaker 2: But you know, on the other end of that, because I go back and forth about this, A lot of parents when they die, they give their kids something right, and I never wanted that to be me. I want to see my parents enjoy. I want to see me my kids enjoy what I work hard, like, I want to see it. I don't want to give it to them when they die. I want to see it. And then on another thing, I always say, we work hard sometimes, but we want our kids to struggle, and I don't want I didn't want that to be my kids. I want them to do what they want to do, right, because at the end of the life, you realize life is short, right, and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much money you got, is matter.
Speaker 3: How happy you are.
Speaker 2: So if I could set your life up where you can do if you want to do nails, if it makes you happy, you're happy. I don't care.
Speaker 3: That's not my life.
Speaker 2: I just want you to be happy. You don't got to be a billionaire, you ain't got to be one hundred million yet. But if you happy making one hundred thousand dollars a year and you're genuinely happy, that's better than most people out here that's not happy that makes all this money. I try to set up their life where it's like, let me guide you, where you could just do what you want to do. Because as a kid, when I said I wanted to be a d J, everybody laugh like, nigga, you can't be no DJ. And I'm sure y'all heard the same thing when y'all said, y'all want to do the podcast. So it's like, that's what I want for my kids in my family, just want them to be happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, my son wanted to be a gamer, but then I watched them and like he sucks, so it's like you can't do the game, but he's great at sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: I think that real though, bro, Like you know, I told my kids like you, like people tell you can be anything in the world you want.
Speaker 3: You could be with you good at you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You second, math, why are you trying to be a rock sized It's just like sugg Justice, know what I'm saying, attle Bit you're great with words, Yeah, slam.
Speaker 3: Poetry may be when you say that because he hates to see his kid slim, I'm crazy.
Speaker 4: It's just dramatic. That's not like anime. It's just ramatic. You just you the she was just yeah, we got something drop on her. It's not it's not that, it's just you know, like I wish that I.
Speaker 3: Could see.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm talking about, just that genre and when you can see that, the d isn't for me.
Speaker 1: L G B T.
Speaker 3: A real breakfast club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but keeping a balance with your kids is important to because I think you don't want to get to receiving And then also one of the worst things as a parent is like when you give your child something and you don't feel like they're grateful, like you feel like it's like but you got to internalize it too, So it's like you kind of you can't just you can't make somebody be grateful. But I think, you know, I tell my kids like it be limits on everything to Like my son, he get a fourteen, you know, like their generation is looking at like Lamping's and is that how you pronounce that whatever?
Speaker 3: Designer? They look at that like regular Degglar.
Speaker 4: I'm like I told him, I was like, you know anything that I will rock Nike, you know, Dadas whatever like regular Doglar. I'm with you. When you start talking designer that stuff, you gotta go get your own. You heard of that, you know what I'm saying, Like twelve hundred.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like it got them form but ship but right, yeah, but how many hours did the airport for them get twelve niggas their port all day?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Like I told my son, yeah, sixteen.
Speaker 2: Sixteen you bought Wow, but flying fresh.
Speaker 9: They come from my childhood though, you know what I'm saying, It's like my daddy had it like that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So what I like, Shit, your.
Speaker 9: Dad wasn't working at the airport, was he was he wasn't working at the airport. But I've seen this shit. Like if I asked for it, I probably wouldn't get it that week, but I get it next week, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's just like damn.
Speaker 9: In my mind is like the pressure like what I'm saying, the pressure like that, how can I keep it?
Speaker 3: Like my dad was a great dad, even in prison. My dad was a gret dad. My dad told me how to watch the dishes over the phone. You know what I'm saying, Do this, go, do that. He told me to cut the grays on the phone. You feel me. But I'll be like, damn, how can I keep it with my dad?
Speaker 9: I ain't got the money that my dad had to throw away, but ship, I still want to be a great dad, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's why I like compete with myself.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, I mean you are you already are? Yeah, You're a better father than your father because just being free physically.
Speaker 4: I always tell my kids that when they think I'm being hard on them, It's like, bro, I'm not focused on.
Speaker 3: You, the twelve year old, I'm focused on you the twenty two year olds.
Speaker 4: Real you know, you're raising it like we're raising we're raising children, but they're going to be a They're gonna function in the world, and a lot of how they function is gonna start from how they was in the household. So if they feel entitled because their mom and get them everything they want, that's gonna spill over the jobs, that's gonna spill over the partners, that's gonna spill over to so many different.
Speaker 3: Relationships in your life.
Speaker 4: It's just like keeping bound You got boundaries with your cheersren too, you know what I'm saying. And you allow your kids to have boundaries with you as a parent, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah, speaking of parenting you uh your TikTok video about your biological mom being white, Yeah, that sparked so much like conversation around identity and like being a biracial kid and you know what made you want to share that and particalarly going through that.
Speaker 4: So it was just you know, you just start talking about yourself, like honestly, my mom and dad in two thousand nineteen, I didn't look Yeah, yeah, I didn't know. I didn't know I was a doctor. So I found out post her. I was adopted at two days old, you did what I'm saying. So of course that is gonna spark up a whole bunch of stuff around identity and things like that. But for me it was liberating because I was like, brod, I knew I went't crazy. Bro Yeah, we ain't all in here looking alike. You know, I'm I'm add aball out on how we looked.
Speaker 6: It was just a physical looking or did you feel away and turning?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, it's like it's everything. I don't think the way. It's a lot of different things, you know what I'm saying. But for me it was just like really, it's like I'm gonna let you hear it from the horse's mouth because it was it was all TikTok videos that was resarchcing, and people was like, see, he ain't no black leader, he ain't even black. It's like shouty my mom and daddy black. I was adopted at two days old. I don't even know these folks. For one, I don't know if these folks white or not. I don't know them. And only only thing I know is JUHNK. We just joke about being Scottish because I did a little ancestor like you know when you first time find something out you like, I don't know, it's like, oh, I'm thirty percent Scottish, I'm forty percent not gym like real, you know what I mean, I'm a Scottish Nigerian. I just but I'm going through like my own moutions are like accepting it. And then I went through a lot of angry phases about this. But you gonna try to discredit who I am because of something you say? Hey, I tell you you know what I'm saying. You ain't gonna take it like you can't hear from the horse's mouth. It wasn't really about defending anything. It's just like noah, yeah, yeah, now what because like you ain't got this credit me Bro, Like it's it's it's a couple of creators.
Speaker 3: They are like, it's the men be obsessed with me.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: They make videos about me all day every day and it's like yeah, and I'll be like, it's free promoting.
Speaker 6: That just reacts to your content, even your old content.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's loved though, because even fake pages like bro they all promote me. My my they page is full of my face. Once they refined the real thing we live. But I think for me, it was just like clarifying, like this ain't nothing I'm running away from, bro. And that's the same time, it's like I was two days old. Bro, I don't know them people. I don't know nothing about them. I don't really desire to either. Your biologic Yeah, yeah, well I heard stories.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I really don't like even my folks don't know. My mama was swore the fuck secret. But then you find out, like your mama having warm issues and stuff like that, it's a miracle for her, bro to be able to get a baby. So it's like, yeah, Bro, I'm not tripping on that, you know what I mean. Like, whatever them folks had going on, that was their arrangement.
Speaker 3: I was here. My folks raised me. Well, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They had their own shortcomings and stuff, but I was raising the household of love, and I learned so much from my household, you know what I mean. And my family taught me so much. It's like, I'm not discarding that because I get some new information, you know what I'm saying. I'm already in. I'm already whole, So I don't really need to go looking for none. I don't feel no for it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You know, one stereo type they always say, they'll say that light skinned black people are biracials, will be overly black, overly revolutionary. Yeah, that's probably what they try to come in.
Speaker 3: Yeah they did. But it's like, yeah, I ain't never know nothing about it. You know, I ain't know.
Speaker 4: I had nothing to compensate for, you know what I mean in my neighborhood. But it's like being light skinned. It's like I see life skin folks all the time. I see mixed folks all the time. Like all I know is this community. I ain't never really seen no difference. But I understand, I can understand the psychology but trying behind, trying to over compensate. But that just ain't my vibe.
Speaker 2: But the dog skinning brothers with boll heads that.
Speaker 1: Hettle jump you in this mother he.
Speaker 4: Almost hard art that feet don't touch the ground, you know you're surrounded. See that's the thing too, is like like it's it's like, you know, the funniest thing to me is like, uh like when certain black men to be like yeah, you know them them light skinning them by racials like, Bro, you don't want to make it.
Speaker 3: Bro, that's a fact. Stop sleeping with white women. You gotta worry about.
Speaker 1: Manout somewhere like.
Speaker 4: Love you love, But like bro, like you you you know, I ain't go out there like they be coming for him on and I'll be.
Speaker 3: Ready to cry, I'll be ready to fight off.
Speaker 1: But he'd be like, but.
Speaker 9: They's on line. But we come from a real place. Like the nigga talks about my dog. I'm really slepting, you know what I'm saying. So it would be loving person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, loving person you don't want to picture, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Every single time, Like I think one of the biggest, one of the biggest haters.
Speaker 3: I got like as to be on the podcast and I just didn't respond the time.
Speaker 1: Happened all the time.
Speaker 3: Now you never never you up. We never talked about Cooper.
Speaker 1: Nobody hate to question being that you don't know who your biological parents are. Just ice scare you.
Speaker 3: Matross my mind.
Speaker 1: We can jentlem if you.
Speaker 4: Want, you know, smoke crazy in the back outs on the real web side that you know what the funniest thing is Like when I was younger, you know, you get the breasht cut. You know, won't we won't go waves at junk. You know you really you're really struggling to try to get some waves. I was like, man, I ain't doing that. So, uh, my partners used to joke with me, like when we was roast, they called me dis broader your mixing a one time me and my home boy had went we was like breaking in cars and stuff, and I guess whatever the word got like we was on foot. Now that's so stupid breaking the car while you're on feet. But the police pulled this over and they was like going at my partner and it was like you you speak English. I was like, no, it's not.
Speaker 3: Like indimitably English, Nigga, the Kings English, the Queens work.
Speaker 7: Speaking of the love of the creator showed so much love one of the podcasts he listened to it with the cutting room floor. After talking about people that got podcasts are not smart.
Speaker 1: Said gross, You actually said podcasts are gross?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you feel me.
Speaker 4: It's love, bro, You know, we get a lot of love, and that's what matter for real. Like you know when people walk up, like even with Tyler knowing he just don't like nothing.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, that's love.
Speaker 4: But I think more than anything, when people walk up and they're like, man, man, my son taught me to listen to your podcast, And then on the opposite out side, it's like man, my son, like, like my dad told me to listen to you, Well, my mom taught me to listen to Like it's intergenerational thing. I know we're doing the right thing because, like what we're trying to really do is bridge gaps. Like we got a lot of gaps in our community around differences, but our experience is extremely the same. And it's like, bro, you want to let one little thing that you don't have in common with a person separate you when all the other experiences you can relate to, that's a little foolish. It's like, you know, I ain't with no division. So if we bridging gaps and it's like a family thing, you know, folks watching this like me and my man watch this, Me and my girlfriend wate this, Like, bro, that's the love.
Speaker 3: That's what we focus on. The love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. I got two more questions learn about one bet right from I heard you talking about systems and that we had Christopher Williams up here and he was talking about that as well, and I feel the same way. And I don't know we'll ever truly be able to change the system. I don't even know if that's a pessimistic mindset to have, but I do feel like we can liberate ourselves with fitnesses, like that's really the only way to be to achieve anything. Really.
Speaker 4: I think that's a lot about what like intersectionality is about. It's like people want to tear down the dismount of systems that for one, they really don't know how to work.
Speaker 3: They just know how they work against them.
Speaker 4: You know, they you know how how it feels to be oppressed, but like you don't understand like the history of these system how they was built and things like that. So you know, you tear everything down, do you have a community you can rely on? Do you like what you're gonna do? Do you have the tools to rebuild it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I think because of like film and movie, we think doing the gloom, we think mad Max, and we think the world just gonna end and be anarchy. But I think you know, within understanding, that's how you operate, you know, like at work, anybody like Finesse, at work, like Big K used to be finishing at the Mercedes beans. Bro, He's to be like, he know, if I get this amount of money, I could put that back in the Jory and get that back to the company and the rest I could pocket. He operating within the system, but he benefited himself. It's like that, what do you folks do? Like looking for me that.
Speaker 7: You don't.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, But look, I think that the bigger thing is this is just like you know, I'll be telling my partners in the hour of time. Like, Bro, if you shut your phone off for two weeks, you ain't gonna know what's going on in the world, but you'll know what's going on in your world.
Speaker 3: And like, so sometimes you gotta just focus on that part.
Speaker 4: Like if we focus on like the big the big picture of America all.
Speaker 3: The time, like that stretch you out. B.
Speaker 4: These folks have entire like corporations designed to push negative media towards you every day. Like sometimes you gotta take a break, like a lot of you know this this all this technology is fairly new, so like and we obsessed over it.
Speaker 3: It's like, just take a break. B.
Speaker 4: It's like five bit you know, recoup, like because you can't really be helpful to the community anyway if you're not good with yourself.
Speaker 3: We all got work to do.
Speaker 4: But you know, the bigger system, at largest system that we've been fighting since we came here. So I think continue to fight we seen which is white supremacis yeah, yeah, yeah, and I think you know, and capitalism too. But I think to continue that fight while also continue to like embrace each other and strengthen our bond within our community.
Speaker 3: That's the most important part. You know. It's a it's a we're gonna chip away out a little bit of a time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: My last question's something the podcast industry doesn't prepare creators.
Speaker 3: Success.
Speaker 4: What jo Joe said, it ramp up, you know, Like I think the biggest thing is too, it's like what you're gonna do when it when it happened. But also like it's gonna be days where you just like just like a job, like you don't feel like it, but you really got to tighten up and get to it because now you've got an audience, you got people depend on you.
Speaker 3: It's like the thing is is like you don't want them to go away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just being consistent, and then I think podcasting in general for us, it's shit easy.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 4: We just being ourselves, you know what I'm saying, We represent ourselves. So as long as I know, I ain't I ain't hear faking the funk. I ain't got no gimmick, you know what I'm saying. It's just like we being ourselves. That's what makes it easy. But scheduling, staying on top of the thing, building the team, finding the team, you know what I'm saying, finding good people, getting over the anxiety and feeling like everybody trying to take and still you know, just be opportunistic. Like you know, it's a lot of stuff that come with it, but you just a day at the time for real. When you manage it, you can.
Speaker 1: When you say success, you mean like the notoriety that comes before the money. You say, you still work at the airport.
Speaker 3: No, No, I was at I was at airport. Not the notoriety, the part.
Speaker 4: It's the part where it's actually a functioning system, Like we're making money out of this. We're feeding ourselves, we feeding each other, We able to hire people, you know what I'm saying, Things like that where it's like, oh shit, I just was like driving truck. That was the easy part. I knew my routes, I knew everything. Now I'm giving people they routes, you know what I'm saying. And metaphorically, but being being in charge, you know what I'm saying. I want to be a leader one and I want to be a boss, you know what I mean. But leading by example is a tough thing to do too, because everybody just see it as like, damn, you make it look easier.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, you ain't gonna you ain't. You ain't in the room me at three am, Like oh my god, what the fuck have I got myself into? You know what I'm saying. But it's real though.
Speaker 4: It's like and I think keeping the balance of like you know what I'm saying, It's gonna be peaks and valleys, but you just keep going.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, to keep going for sure? Right?
Speaker 1: Well? Yeah, man, make sure y'all subscribe to the GRITCH today.
Speaker 3: Thankful we go. Are you rappers out there? Get out that booth.
Speaker 9: American needs plumbers, electricians, we need we need everything, h VAC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get that trade man.
Speaker 9: You know what I'm saying, The trade is what got the podcast off the ground.
Speaker 3: So go get that trade man, get some money. Man.
Speaker 4: If you do got good music, we do got to show that, Ben cause every Monday, new music, Monday coming tapping with that, Bro.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you having to make sure.
Speaker 1: Y'all subscribe to the Grit to podcast. With the Grit Podcast heavy man, I think y'all are very dope, very necessary, and it's crazy. It's so early for y'all.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best is really yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: That's that's gonna be a fun journey to watch. Man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate only one who.
Speaker 2: Listen, but y'alla, she's just.
Speaker 5: I really don't but.
Speaker 3: Y'all, man, that's love, Thank you, Thank you all.
Speaker 2: Kyle is the Grit and Eggs podcast Sir.
Speaker 3: Every day a week
Speaker 1: Breakfast club finish for yar Dump