Speaker 1: So Evan Felker has just noted the Beargreas Hall of Fame plaque here, and Evan, this is like holy ground right here.
Speaker 2: Those very serious.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I got a little growl from Steve no I said, uh huh okay.
Speaker 1: So as you can see, we've got some American legends. Daniel Boone Warner Glenn Is the Arizona Cowboys, still live in his nineties. Now Roy Clark, it's not the singer Roy Clark. It's Roy Clark, the plot man in East Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Equally good, the greatest of all time.
Speaker 1: And I have to edit it slightly. Roy Clark one day, first time I met him and said, why I'd rather hunt.
Speaker 2: And fish his work.
Speaker 1: We got James Lawrence still alive. Dear friend from Arkansas, George mcjonkin found the Folsom site.
Speaker 2: Frederick Gershtaker was a.
Speaker 1: Guy that was involved in the Killed the Bear over here in the ozarks or Lee Provence Bluff. Hunter Holt Collier was an African American guy guided Teddy Roosevelt Takumsa, the Shawnee War leader rose the greatest army Native American army ever to stand against American forces. He had most of them Ava Barnes, Granny Henderson was a.
Speaker 2: Land martyr here.
Speaker 1: In Arkansas when the National Park Service took all the land to make the Buffalo National River. And then lastly is David Crockett. And then she is now on the bar Greas Hall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A little little tie into the song the bird Hunters is the chorus parts based on that you can go to you can go to Hell, and I'll go to Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So this is a Monumentals render podcast. I'm surrounded by people that I of got Giannis Boutellus right here, got Brent Reeves, got Evan Felker of the Turnpike Trubadours, we got Randall, doctor Randall Williams, and Steve Ranella.
Speaker 2: It's this is this is.
Speaker 1: Incredible to have all you guys here in the office. But I'm not sure that any of you got the memo that you were supposed to listen to the last Bear Grease podcast.
Speaker 2: Now doing it was two hours.
Speaker 4: You didn't tell me that I listened to him. I don't listened to him as maybe as prompt.
Speaker 3: Well, what you didn't have to you just get out of the off of a two hour drive, had to text me on the way.
Speaker 1: I I thought maybe your wife was coming, you had your kids. I thought about it, but I was like, I'm gonna ask Evan to do like one more thing. Well, okay, I'm gonna just briefly tell because on the on the Bear Grease Render typically we discussed the last Bear Grease episode. Now Evan is connected to this one in a in an indirect way, actually fairly directly. Two episodes ago we did a podcast called The Unusual Death of Melvin Bucky Garrison. And so I was with Evan and Okema, Oklahoma, and we were with Evan's friend, now, my friend, Andrew Stubbs. Andrew was eating some cottage cheese and peaches at the Shonees buffet and a very young man, a very young man who spends a lot of time at Shoney's, incredible horse trainer cattleman, like a real cowboy. And I was talking to him about some of the outlaw stuff on Bear Grease, and he was talking to me about some of the outlaw episodes and he goes he goes, hey, there was a game word and killed over here by an old outlaw. And I said really, and he said, oh yeah. He said everybody knows that. Everybody talks about it. In the nineteen seventies, Bucky Garrison got killed over around Tiger Mountain on Lakey Falla and I was like, for real and he said, yes, Well I immediately text Hank g so you know when I leave. Hank Jinks is a wildlife officer in Oklahoma. I say, does the name Bucky Garrison mean anything to you? And he was like, oh yeah, he's like I was talking about Bucky Garrison today. And it turns into a really interesting episode where there's a mysterious drowning of a young, healthy game wardan in Oklahoma December twenty sixth, nineteen seventy one, and he drowns in two and a half to three feet of water and it is deemed a accidental drowning by the authorities. But everybody in that part of the world, if you just walk down the street and you said who killed what happened to Bucky Garrison, they would say this guy, you know, and I'm not going to say his name kill.
Speaker 4: This cause he's never been he's never been he's never been prosecuted.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: And the guy has since died. But we spent a whole episode talking about this.
Speaker 4: No, how come the why why is that not a why is that not a Blood Trails episode?
Speaker 2: Well, it just it just fell on my lap, and I sometimes you kind of helped team out, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually didn't even think about it till someone said thatsh Well, some of us are over here scrapping for good stuff too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's what makes a team a real team.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, I had Jordan Sillers on last night.
Speaker 2: He was here. We talked about it. He's cool with it.
Speaker 1: I thought we might have some bad blood, but we didn't.
Speaker 2: He was cool with it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So while I'm interviewing Hank Jinks, Hank Jinks says, oh, you need to interview Jared Kramer, who was a modern Oklahoma game warden who had to use lethal force too to kill a guy that had And if you hadn't listened to the episode, I mean, there's really at a spoiler.
Speaker 2: Trying to drown him. Yeah, he's kind of guy.
Speaker 1: Basically for his fishing license, the guy has a felony warrant. And I thought it was ironic that the guy was from Arkansas and he was in Oklahoma. If this story had happened in Arkansas. It would have been a dude from Oklahoma in Arkansas. You know, the bad guy's always from somewhere else, and it's a tragic story.
Speaker 2: Jukes went, yeah, always from the next county.
Speaker 1: So Jared Kramer's tells the whole story, I mean, very sober, serious episode of the thought processes, second by second what happened and what he had to do. And then half of the episode is about afterwards because it was in twenty fifteen, right after the Ferguson riots, Like it was kind of the beginning of the police brutality, you know, kind of uprise in America. And here he has killed an unarmed man and he knows it. I mean he'd like he said immediately he was like, this guy.
Speaker 2: Is unarmed and yeah, but.
Speaker 1: He was justified in the court of law. And I mean it dis wrecked his life for a long time. But really interesting and I mean never done an episode like that, So it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Would you, Brentless, did he.
Speaker 5: Know going into it that the guy had the warrant?
Speaker 1: Well, he he came in as backup, so his buddy had actually just stopped to do a routine fishing license check. The guy gives him his license and runs the license and he's like felony warrant, and so Jared comes in as backup to help us buddy, but his buddy is arresting somebody else. All three of these people got arrested for warrants. But the most interesting part of it was is that there was one witness to the entire thing. So it's Jared and this dude fighting on the ground.
Speaker 6: Go into the water, but there's other wardens nearby, like a hundred like one hundred yards away immediately can't see.
Speaker 2: So Jared goes up to two men in.
Speaker 1: There's one witness to the shooting, like other than Jared, that's alive, and Jared is very concerned about what this witness is gonna say.
Speaker 2: He was associates with the shot man.
Speaker 1: Yes, together, Yeah, the friends, his friend, the guy that has deceased. His friend watched the whole thing, the only witness. But the whole twist of the story is that the year before Jared Kramers had arrested that guy witness.
Speaker 2: The witness had.
Speaker 1: Arrested him because he had a warrant out for his rest. While Jared has taken that guy to the police station, the guy says, it wasn't me that did it. I'm a victim of identity fraud. I don't have a worn out for my arrest. Someone stole my identity, committed a crime, got out on bail and left, and Jared was like, whatever, dude, everybody says that, and he said by the time they got to the police station, he actually believed the guy, and Jared put him in jail and said, I'm going to check on this for you. Sure enough, he goes and looks at the mugshot of the guy that was put in jail, and the dude was telling the truth. So Jared goes to the district attorney and says, this guy is innocent and was a victim of identity fraud. And so Jared gets this guy out of jail.
Speaker 2: This is a year before, so he earned him a good.
Speaker 1: So the whole like your blood pressure just goes down in the episode, and it's told spoiler if you haven't listened to it, but you need, you gotta hear Jared teld the story is Jared's He's killed this man. The next day he has to go in and tell his story to the authorities. I mean, like it's a major deal and he gives his account, and the prosecutor says, would you like to hear the account of the the man that witnessed this whole thing, or would you like to read it? And Jared was like he knew that that was either going to make or break him and the and the guy slides over the paper and he said it was seen for seen, like basically the exact same story. And the guy said, I told the truth because Jared is a good guy.
Speaker 2: So it's just wild story.
Speaker 1: But then the guy the people's family pressed charges on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh he went.
Speaker 1: It went all around, but it set precedents, as I understand it, it set legal precedents in America for water as a means of murder because before you can use a lethal force, someone has to have a way, like if they had just been wrestling and just two guys duking it out, like you couldn't shoot the guy if you had a means and so it had never been done before.
Speaker 3: Like effectively a deadly weapon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it's super interesting. I wish I could hurt it. Well, I will hear it, yes for sure, ask us to listen.
Speaker 2: Do it about midnight? Yeah, guys, it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to pivot. Yeah, we're gonna have to pivot. Evan, what are you doing here, buddy.
Speaker 3: I am going to do something tonight with you guys that is a little bit vague so far. I'm gonna play some songs, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So we need to do a better job with our special guests, because I think he's the fourth guest in a row.
Speaker 2: It's been very puzzy.
Speaker 1: So we are on the live tour, the Meat Eater Live Tour, so you'd be listening to this a week later. But we're in the in the heart of the Meat Eater Live Tour, in the heart of America, in in the near the city of Fable, Arkansas, which I might add was the only city that completely sold out. All the shows are basically sold out. Fadable sold out in three days, and the people in Fable in America don't yet know that Evan Felker is going to be there tonight.
Speaker 2: Well you did.
Speaker 1: I've been telling everybody it's a massive secret.
Speaker 7: Hinted data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh yeah, Evan's gonna play a little bit of music.
Speaker 2: Evan.
Speaker 1: I've been like living in your head brother. The last couple of nights, well, the last month. My wife is like, she's bird Hunters is like ringing in her ears.
Speaker 2: Cover you know, Clay covers your song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how I saw that he did a really good job.
Speaker 2: You thought, so, I thought, so what about royalties? Who pays that play or.
Speaker 3: Clay pays them? Okay out of pocket?
Speaker 2: I think I thought, well, we uh we we I do have a meat eater car.
Speaker 7: Uh No.
Speaker 1: So we were on a sixth night tour we've been in. We started in Birmingham, went to Nashville, Memphis last night, Fayetteville, Dallas, and Austin and it's been a blast so far. Would you agree that it was the best person to have on tour? Maybe we should rank, maybe we should do like best and worst, the best person to be on a tour bus with other than Yannie, who's just delightful and just always But it's Randall.
Speaker 4: So you're saying he's the best person, Jannie, but you're skipping that he's just place.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of no.
Speaker 8: I think he's just saying, Yann, it's is solid. He's kind of right down the middle. Nothing bad is.
Speaker 1: Like the coon dog that's like trained in the best.
Speaker 2: But yours. Oh yeah, he's been added so long. He's so good. You're kind of working on your second.
Speaker 4: You don't understand he's been added a long time. But it's like a golden alt scene.
Speaker 1: It's doctor Randall Williams. I wake up in the morning on the bus, crawl out of my little little hole sleep in, and I just kind of like starry eyed, walk over and just sit in front of Randall and just go, okay, talk to me.
Speaker 2: And he just starts telling.
Speaker 1: Story after story, hair sticking straight up, and it never stops.
Speaker 4: And Randall's stories, I get nervous that he's not going to land because you always land him. But I find myself always a while into it, I started get nervous. I remember, like Doug uh Doug Dring, he always said when when President Biden was giving a speech, he said it always felt to him like he was watching his child at the school play, just hoping they don't mess up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And when Randall tells the.
Speaker 4: Story, I always feel like I don't think he's gonna build land that story, Like I don't know if he knows.
Speaker 8: I feel like I know it ends I feel like I know every time, every time he like.
Speaker 4: Every time, he eventually lands the story, and I'm like, I don't know why I ever doubted him.
Speaker 2: He's like the Chuck Yeger of stories. He recovers at the end no matter what you're like, he's never gonna land this one up.
Speaker 8: And know when you're when you're describing that, I can picture what it looks like on your face when I'm halfway through a story and I'm like, man, he just you just start tightening up. You're looking for something else to pay attend.
Speaker 2: What am I gonna do? Am I gonna fake?
Speaker 7: Laugh?
Speaker 2: Like? How what am I? How am I gonna deal with it? You know?
Speaker 4: And then he lands it and I really laugh, and I just such a sense of relief.
Speaker 5: I can't believe you haven't told us a Christmas sweater story that your sister knit you.
Speaker 7: Misty was going on and my sister.
Speaker 8: In law and knits everybody sweaters for Christmas, and they all have elaborate designs.
Speaker 2: So I have one that's a big ram.
Speaker 8: The one she's thinking of, I believe, is like a white cardigan with two buttons and a little leather patch, and it's a moose standing in a pond on the back and on the front there's something else. But it's like a sweater she found in like a nineteen thirties you know, like I don't know what you call a knitting guide, you know, knitting patterns, and so she spends all year knitting everybody sweaters.
Speaker 2: It was the it was the sleeves and how elbow patches. But then they were also like, oh that's right. Yeah, they were like show, yeah, she doesn't measure us.
Speaker 7: She doesn't measure us.
Speaker 8: There's always like, you know, some minor, you know, mismatches, but between you're it's either the torso, you know, the shoulders or the arms. But they're incredible. Her dad is actually her dad has one that is like the the view of the mountains from their house in Idaho, and it's like, well, at.
Speaker 1: The Mediator Christmas party, Misty tells this story whenever your name comes up at the mediaor Christmas party.
Speaker 2: Last year, we were trying to leave, like it was like.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, we'll see you later, and we just kind of ran into y'all yeah just for a second, and Misty goes, oh, Randall, that's a really cute sweater and you, and she does it so well. She imitates you. You had a drink in your hand and you turned to Sydney and you went hold this, and then you you started on this like like it was a stand up comedy skit.
Speaker 2: It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: We stayed for twenty extra minutes just to listen to and I was riveted about this sweater.
Speaker 8: Well, that was the first thing she mentioned to me when I walked in the doors. Yeah, I can't believe you're not wearing your sweater.
Speaker 2: I can't believe either that.
Speaker 8: That conversation didn't stand out in my memory nearly as clearly.
Speaker 2: As it did in yours. It was good. It was a great story. I've just had everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Evan, on this tour, we we don't tell anybody, but we kind of do the same thing for six nights in a row, like you're the only thing that's different tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of I can I can relate with that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, do you know.
Speaker 1: Necessarily want to pull back to Curtin. Well, so we all every night get to hear each other's story, and every night we give each other feedback because you know, they heard my first version, my second version, they've now heard my third version of the same story. And every night there'd be one of us that kind of gets targeted. Like last night Steve was like, brand you really screwed your story up.
Speaker 2: I don't remember him saying it quite liked it.
Speaker 7: No, he definitely didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that one of the best parts.
Speaker 4: And tonight I have new stuff from Craigslist sporting goods, and I have a video of your junk pile Oh wow, which I'm going to tie into that. I've been having a hard time finding the Arkansas that fits my impression of the state.
Speaker 2: But then when I assume that I arrived.
Speaker 4: In your yard, I was like, oh, there it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All days I drove around being like, this is the nicest place in the world. This is the first place we've parked that tour bus. Every time we parked that tour bus and you step out of it in the morning, it gets light out, you step out of the tour bus and you step into garbage. Everywhere we go today I step out, it's polished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there wasn't a crack in that pavement.
Speaker 1: All the grass is cut. Everything's super nice. Steve is like telling me He was like, you're such a fraud. He's like, you act like.
Speaker 2: Where are these Hillbillies?
Speaker 1: Well, but it's but it's been really, it's it's actually you start to see how stand up comedians really get their their their their their stories super dial because you know, we're giving each other feedback and then you get to try the same thing over and over. And I've got a great joke, a great joke that just hadn't hit yet, and it strike three was last night, and.
Speaker 2: Al those jokes so good that they don't hit that nobody laughs. It's one of them jokes. Yeah, how many times do you tell a joke and nobody laughs?
Speaker 9: And that you describe it, you should describe it as maybe a statement.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I feel like I just feel like my people tonight are gonna get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they gotta.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, yeah, try it out.
Speaker 2: You may try it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Evan, let's just just pretend like joke, just just pretend pretend like.
Speaker 7: We need his reaction.
Speaker 2: Well, just just pretend.
Speaker 1: Like you're just wanting to have a good time with your family right here. Yeah, okay, and I go. I want to tell you a story, Evan about my family.
Speaker 4: He's already smiling. So you got you gotta get in character. Yeah, you need you don't know what he's telling you.
Speaker 2: You need to be.
Speaker 8: Sitting in a dark auditorium, Uh, skeptical of what you've previously. You know, like you don't you You look like.
Speaker 4: You went to see Chappelle and he steps out because you're like, why no, I'm gonna laugh.
Speaker 2: I'm as well starting now. But that's not what's going on. Okay, okay, So hey.
Speaker 1: I always want to tell everybody a little story, kind of want to give you a little peek into the Nukem world. And you know, it's Christmas time and and uh, you know, me and Santa Claus really have a lot in common. We're both big into the to the captive servid industry.
Speaker 2: You know, he's still waiting for.
Speaker 1: The joke because you know, we're deer deer farmers and in my family we raised quite a few deer, and so did Santa Claus. He was America's first captive servid operator.
Speaker 2: Wise, he did a joke to do it again.
Speaker 8: When you hit the punchline. I saw him nod as if he's like, okay, I get the set up.
Speaker 4: The part about his response is you had him laughing, like just the whole setup, knowing he was going to get a joke, put him in a good smiley.
Speaker 2: Mood, and well, he's just gonna have it laughed. It's not real.
Speaker 4: Your joke took away his joy from the more.
Speaker 2: You wind up less smile.
Speaker 1: It was less funny than just normal.
Speaker 2: Laughter.
Speaker 4: Yours diminished it had you just decided to stay silent, but he would have still had more smile on his face.
Speaker 1: But at the end of that period established something Santa Clausby in America's Original Captive servid Operator is funny. Would you agree?
Speaker 8: Maybe that's that's in Nashville.
Speaker 7: He's first.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 7: He's a European.
Speaker 2: I'm work shopping it. I'm work shopping it. I got the seed. I'm in a similar situation.
Speaker 4: I have the seed of a joke, not for the live shows, but the seed of a joke which is going to be about if I was going to give date It's not funny, but I'm trying to make funny. If I was going to give dating advice to people, I would uh like if.
Speaker 2: I could picture if I was gonna.
Speaker 4: Get married, again, I would want to marry a notary public I heard about I heard about this because like when you need to get something notarized, it's always a pain. And then the other thing is they've been vetted like by the like character, right, they're like honest, they'd ever commit any crimes they got strong. So if I was single, I would just be going to like notary And every time I've ever gotten something notarized, it has always been a woman. It's not funny. Yeah, that's the only problem.
Speaker 2: With the joy. Well, yeah, you just need to set up the way to make joke funny. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I understand that's where you're at. Well, already heard a joke, but there's no funny part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got the.
Speaker 2: First part of the joke, and it's the part that's not funny. I mean suggestions.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the explanation is the punchline, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ok, the best jokes the next one you see it in night because I'm not giving up what kill, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What chill last night? Kill?
Speaker 8: Last night was when we explained that he'd done this three times now and no one had laughed.
Speaker 2: That's the best part.
Speaker 1: Well, and the hardest part is it's the opening scene of my skit.
Speaker 8: That's what I think it is. That's what people don't know. They're supposed to laugh yet is.
Speaker 7: There any way to get something in ahead of it?
Speaker 1: I mean, I just feel like if I took the joke out, the whole thing is flat.
Speaker 4: Oh you mean like he'd have a joke that worked and then try one that didn't work instead of start out work.
Speaker 2: That's half a glass alcohol.
Speaker 7: I know you have lots of stories.
Speaker 2: I do. I do, there's a lot of stories. There's a lot of stories, but the rest of the act is great. I think tonight what I might do is I might hear.
Speaker 5: Just an idea, because we know you have a lot of captive servant stories, right, you're really only telling one of them. I think you could take a snippet of one and could just be, like, you know, some of these podcasts sometimes you get like this little thirty seconds in the beginning and it just kind of grabs you.
Speaker 7: You could tell that.
Speaker 5: Part of where you're like in a cage or you're outside of the cage, and in it there is a pet deer getting.
Speaker 7: Chased by a dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you have a mad neighbor and you open the door and deer runs out and you get a ticket. You could like do that in thirty seconds and people be like what, and then you'd be like, yeah, man, I was a captive servid guy.
Speaker 7: You know who else was?
Speaker 2: Santa Claus? Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 3: I think that the context was probably the only reason that I was a little bit of you're struggling.
Speaker 2: The reason he got sad, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know that you had ever done anything with like captive deer.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. So I didn't have the backstory there, and that's why make me say.
Speaker 1: I think we're on to I think I need to give more, Like you understand that I have deer and that I could. And we talked about how captive servid is a big word that maybe people wouldn't understand, but that's why it's funny, because it's like a technical term for raising deer.
Speaker 4: That's why maybe that's why it's not funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, yeah either way, I mean, like we're gonna work on it.
Speaker 2: Well, you get three people are gonna know what you're.
Speaker 3: Talking about, six people that don't, oh or more three more change?
Speaker 4: Maybe you should Maybe it'd be interesting to ask Evan, can you picture any scenario in life as a musician when you would ever have the words captive servid in a song?
Speaker 2: How many have you written?
Speaker 3: How many songs have I written? I don't know, sixty seventy?
Speaker 2: Maybe have how many you have captive served in it?
Speaker 7: Zero?
Speaker 2: Cord?
Speaker 3: I might put something like that in there.
Speaker 2: There's some correlation.
Speaker 7: Evan.
Speaker 2: Are you writing music right now? Yes? Now.
Speaker 1: You you put out something on your Instagram the other day that you said, should we release.
Speaker 2: An album in twenty six?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We we were in uh, California. We've been kind of started on a record. We were gonna put together. We had some songs sort of put together and we're gonna kind of add them onto the last record. And then we got the like of them, and so we sort of pivoted to, well, let's make another record instead of.
Speaker 2: Like, do you have any songs?
Speaker 7: Well, we haven't.
Speaker 3: We haven't finished it yet, but we will.
Speaker 1: Can you tell a song like uh on the Red River and some of these that are are newer when you wrote those, did you think this is gonna really be good?
Speaker 2: I knew that it was gonna be sad. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But and interesting, you know, it's kind of interesting. But yeah, the ones that you I was thinking about this on the way here, like the ones that you know that are finished, that you you know, have that story to them that's somewhat original though usually you can trust it, you know.
Speaker 2: Just if it's got a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that got like an arc, Like it's not just yeah, if.
Speaker 3: You're not just throwing a bunch of sort of making the listener connect too many dots, or or maybe you just kind of have a rough idea throwing Maybe what's wrong with my joke?
Speaker 8: Have you ever had a song that listened the exactly opposite reaction from the listeners that you're hoping and you did it three times and then you try it before.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm trying to you that I've never told a story or a joke that's gotten to laugh on a microphone and my tenure of being on stage, So don't.
Speaker 2: You're just out on the poetry is written in songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, I've got a really I've got a really good I've got a really good story.
Speaker 2: An album question, Okay, have more album questions. Is it.
Speaker 4: A couple of buddies that there musicians were saying that now because people consume music so differently that you think of if you go back to the to the album era, where people were primarily consuming music on terrestrial radio or buying a CD, buying a cassette tape, that albums were eight songs, ten songs, right, because the whole point was that they could sell the album. But in the streaming economy, that number keeps just climbing and climb and climb. We're now in albums like twenty songs, twenty four songs, becouse you get more streams.
Speaker 3: The reason albums were that short initially is because a vinyl record would only hold that many.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, I got you, and then it was like a functional limitation.
Speaker 3: Then CDs would only hold whatever eighty minutes or whatever it is, seventy minut so it became a thirteen song thing and now it's unlimited, but it was all limitation of the media.
Speaker 2: But do people want more?
Speaker 4: Are you feeling like the pull to big long albums now?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 4: Because your albums are still about like kind of in that same old style length.
Speaker 3: I think we'll probably just make more concise, you know, concise like twelve thirteen song records. But yeah, it is more competitive to be more prolific, which is good. I mean, I think that's great. But yeah, it's a it's definitely I don't see the point of putting twenty songs on a record for me because I think it'll detract from some of the other ones. When you have this set, you can say, hey, look at these ten songs, give them all your full attention, and the next one, you know, you can do the same with.
Speaker 2: But mm hmm.
Speaker 3: That's my two cents.
Speaker 1: So this is a personal application of one of your songs, your your handiwork. I won't go into the details because it was it is. It's a friend of ours had a fire house fire. It's true, very true story. In the last month.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was pretty it's pretty traumatic for him. Everybody was, Okay, is this a joker. No, this is dead serious, it's not.
Speaker 2: Shifting that it's very true threw me off.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not a joke. Dear friend of ours had a fire in their house. And the very night that the fire that it happened early in the morning that night they came to our house. Misty wanted to cook them dinner and just kind of like post fire, yes, and just like, Hey, come to our house. We're going to take care of you and patch you on the back and hug you and all this. And they get there, and they're there, and we've fed them and we've given them cookies, and and I go, I've got a song for you guys. And I turn on you know, Apple, Amazon Prime or something on on the TV. I turn on house Fire by the Turnpike Troubadours, and we listened to the entire house Fire song and we kind of laughed. It was actually kind of therapeutic. I've been told a misty at the moment was like horrified. Yeah, she was like this is wrong move play or she thought a little soon, a little soon. But I feel like I knew this person well enough that they would It kind of lightened the mood. And then in and you know, barefoot and just remember smelling smoke.
Speaker 2: December. Yeah you remember Evan and uh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the person I think I really liked it.
Speaker 2: There was a gamble on your part.
Speaker 1: But it was it was one of the gambles that, like, you know, someone in your life would do that, just like, hey, it's gonna be okay song.
Speaker 9: They didn't buy it and purchased it because the computer burn m hm.
Speaker 1: Well, but Misty was quick to point out that the song was really quite redemptive, understand very redemptive, and we were like, hey, it's gonna be okay. So that's just one way that you can help your friends. So I wanted some lighter news on light, no more house fires. Evan, you've been you worked cattle just a few days ago. What did y'all do?
Speaker 3: We had some calves to work, some fall cavers and drunk some calves and moved some stuff around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you good? Are you on the are you.
Speaker 4: I keep getting different answers from different producers with beef prices so high?
Speaker 2: Is that or is that not trickling to you?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Part of the reason beef prices are high is because live cattle are high part of the reason. And then there's all kinds of politics and other things that involved. But but yes, we're having record. Like as far as telling urelines, we do good now.
Speaker 4: Had a guy last night telling me it's I don't get it, telling me that's not that way.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had a number of guys telling me, you know, it is that way. I had an interesting perspective.
Speaker 4: From a from a Nebraska cattle producer, and I said, man, when do you think about all these high beef prices. He had an interesting thing he said. He goes, it has to come down. It has to come down, because he said, I think we're going to see a fundamental shift in consumption habits. And he goes, I don't want beef going the way of caviar, is it. Yeah, he said, I want to go on the way a caviar and becoming like a rare luxury item. So I think that for the long term benefit of the livestock industry, beef prices need to come down or else we're going to price our customers out there. And then he goes, this chicken things is going to keep taking off. Everybody wanting all chicken sandwiches all damn time.
Speaker 3: Steaks, kind of like whiskey and or beer or something. To me, like people seem to always want it, no matter how much.
Speaker 2: You drinking beer, because the prices with it.
Speaker 4: For me, Now, what do you feel about I asked this other guy this this question too, and he so when he announced bringing in trying to ease restrictions to bring in beef from Mexico to bring in beef from Argentina in order to drive down beef prices. This guy was telling me, he goes, he said, all that's easier said than done. He goes, That's that's a hard thing to accomplish.
Speaker 3: Thank for it to really hit the supply chaint, especially from the South America stuff, it's tricky. It takes a long time before it actually gets here and becomes like the available product. And then secondly, I'm talking like I know something. Don't take it with a grain of salt. But secondly, like I don't know how even without the tear gariffs, I don't know how competitive it is once it it's butchered there and gets here. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because I don't know that for sure. You know, yeah, Because you just mean all the ad on.
Speaker 3: The problem with the Mexico stuff that we were getting beef across the border, and they could cut cut the the duty charges on that anytime and it would change it somewhat. But the screwworm deal is going on down there, so they keep shutting.
Speaker 2: The border down. We got a guy coming on the podcast about screwworms.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. I can't buy year lands from Mexico and make money on them, so like I don't know, you know, like I can't put them on feed and make money on them. So it's made to where our stuff's competitive. The reason that beef is high is because a few years ago we had a drought and everybody had to kill all their cows, and the cattle herd is down pretty low. But it was kind of like this in twenty fifteen to two, and it was very very low for a long time without you know what I mean, we were giving them away for a long time too, So let's see, and I think that was still high when we were giving them.
Speaker 2: Away, got it? Yeah, mm hmm. Tell me about your mule.
Speaker 3: I have a Molly mule. She's about a two year old mule that's kind of started at her from Willie. You met what you called a donkey, just a mess of him. I just it's just a funny thing to say. And yes, and it's not a it's funny. It's funny to some people.
Speaker 2: So that got more laughs than the service. I don't just come out and say that, but no, what are you gonna do with it?
Speaker 3: Break and ride and go to the mountains?
Speaker 7: Hang out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, get your tricks.
Speaker 2: I don't know are you are you set up? Where are you set up with your music and your ranch and all that? Where you can come out and you and me can go on a big horse ride to your area. I want to go horse riding, probably in Montana. Clay won't come.
Speaker 7: Why won't Clay come?
Speaker 4: It's like a dumb reasons, like he won't come because his bare bait pile and just dumb stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can get away.
Speaker 2: Probably how many good ones you got? You got a good one I could ride to just find a horse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a couple of them. We could probably find better trail animals out there.
Speaker 2: If having comes, I'll come.
Speaker 7: I had a mule.
Speaker 2: I had already inserted myself as the third wheel.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, but my.
Speaker 3: Horses are kind of ranch horses. They're okay, they just don't travel as fast as those mules and stuff. And that's why I got a mule, because I've ridden my horses on some pretty somewhat hairy ground, you know, somewhat like rough country, and I must rather have been on a really broke mule.
Speaker 2: And I've never had one cattle on horseback. And these are not like long distance trail horses.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, not really. They'd be they'd be fine, but they're just gonna be a little slower and.
Speaker 1: They're just like the way I hear it described is in boy, I could make somebody mad. But like some of these like roping horses. Wow, this wouldn't make anybody mad. It's just true. Like these high dollar roping horses like that. Like we're at the NFR, these three four hundred thousand dollars horses. These guys are roping on. You probably couldn't take that horse like riding through my yard, I mean to go down the road. They're just built for the arena, Like that's just what they do.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with that? You probably wouldn't want It wouldn't be fun to ride. I mean you could take them wherever. Most of those quarter horses you could, especially stuff these days if it's bread good. But I mean, like the head horses are going to be pretty chargy, more like a racehorse. Yeah, just so they're gonna they're gonna be maybe a little.
Speaker 2: Just high strung.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people aren't aren't like trotting them down county roads and putting them around.
Speaker 3: You'd be surprised. Dogs and cars okay, okay, Yeah, I think that most of that stuff would handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well with all of those performance horses, people aren't like going and hunting the mountains. Yeah, but you couldn't take my mules that you can go hunt in the mountains and put them in even dream of doing what they do on their horses.
Speaker 3: One thing about it is when you take a horse to a new area, you're changing the altitude possibly and they may not be legged up for like, my stuff's not in shape for going up mountains. Yeah, so there's gonna be a lag there. Yeah, just like a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I got a big ol' mega rade. I need to do. Man, I see something to take me.
Speaker 1: At the right the right time I'm in Okay, but yea, honest, what's been your favorite part of the week so far? Oh, I'm gonna ask you the same question, and you, Randall.
Speaker 5: Probably just get like the really heartwarming stories that we get from the v We do like a VIP thing for ninety minutes and is it seventy five people come through and uh chat with us, take some pictures, sign some autographs and uh like, Randall and I one night had I think three different people that basically told us that we helped them go through their cancer therapy.
Speaker 7: Mm hm, that's you know that hits home?
Speaker 8: H Yeah, And like just people telling stories about rough patches that've been through and how listening to podcasts, watching videos stuff like that gets them excited to get outside and it really it's meaningful.
Speaker 5: And how many times we've heard you know, we seem to attract like a like the adult onset hunter loves meat eater. How many times have you heard that this week already? We're like I started at sixty. Yeah, Like everything I know is because of you guys.
Speaker 1: You know, what about the what about the girl like the I don't know, she's probably in her twenties and her dad was probably in his sixties.
Speaker 2: Made Yeah was interesting.
Speaker 9: She was.
Speaker 1: She was a Division one basketball player, played for Boston College or something, and she like two years ago got her dad to start hunting with her with her and they're like all in Like he was just bubbling with stories of all we we went deer hunting, and we.
Speaker 8: Did this, and we did this, and she picked it up on her own because she was a dog trainer and then decided, oh, I want to figure out how people hunt with dogs.
Speaker 2: You know, and they made her dad start going with her. That was a cool story.
Speaker 1: They were super people. Yeah, Brent favorite thing I was gonna say. Brent and I had a completely different experience, Like two doors down from y'all.
Speaker 10: Our stories were way different. I'm sure glad y'all had that. I'm sure we all heard the same stories. But it's it makes me think how impactful of your words can be, and how serious a lot of folks take what you're saying, you know. And that's why I'm so careful, and not that I would have been reckless at any point about what I was saying, but I'm so mindful of what I say now about and I think about how it's going to hit people. I'm still saying what I want to say, but I want to say it in a way that people know that it's sincere and to hear it. You know, I don't get to talk to I don't get to interview people sell them on my format, so I'm just talking into a microphone, and a lot of it's memories and things that have happened from long ago or somebody else's memory. So but to hear get the feedback from people that are really man, I tell you that we all may say acren different, we may have all grown up in different parts of the country, but the commonality between people that grew up in rural Arkansas.
Speaker 9: And rural New York and urban New York are so similar. It is that has always been so amazing to me. And to get that feedback one on one from people, not in an email or a direct message, is really I'm fired up. I cannot wait. I can't wait to go to the next show, but I can't wait for this for me, for it to end so I can start writing and talking about it. It's been really good.
Speaker 5: Kind add one more favorite part. It's been singing Grandma got going by the reindeer at the end of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta First, there's your setup.
Speaker 2: The captain joke. Nobody is very sick. She was a she was a victim of the captain.
Speaker 7: The first victim of.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, this joke is gonna get so complex. I'm gonna spend my whole ten minutes talking about this show.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: I got to interrupt because I just looked up to my left and I recognize tell the story. And I'm always looking for something that doesn't know it. Me and Clay are hunting and we see a double main beam bought. Clay then proceeds to shoot one of the beams off.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I turned it right back into a normal.
Speaker 4: Bucks regular and we looked all over and found it.
Speaker 2: Taste it. That's crazy, Clay, It's not a double.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had we had to shoot five. That's the best thing in the world.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a little disappointed when I walked up good.
Speaker 7: I was like, I mean we named it the double when that was the first shot, I assume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was bedded at like four hundred and six yards or something for twenty and uh.
Speaker 2: I was trying to get Steve to shoot it.
Speaker 1: But I did spot the deer, and so Steve was like, it's your shot.
Speaker 2: Were in Mexico, And.
Speaker 1: I mean my gun's not really that sided in for Mexico though, you know, So that was what I was gonna say, Yeah, a little man.
Speaker 2: On the metrics.
Speaker 1: No, And I shot, and the deer just like jumped up, you know, just like and uh and look startled. I hit him in the horn and then and then and then dropped him and he he rolls down the hill and just luckily we we found the horn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. That's a cool cupbug.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because if it was matching the normal side, you might not even shoot at him.
Speaker 2: Well, that's one way to look at it. You honest.
Speaker 7: Beam makes incredibly special.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are kind of a small guy anyway, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah they are. Yeah, he's right that like the left side wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Medium shooter. You take note of it and talk about it, but you wouldn't shoot it.
Speaker 8: I well, I was gonna say if you if you doubled that side, it would look exactly like the buck that I killed down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I had I had thoughts of doing something more with the deer, like fixing the horn, but I was like, I'm just gonna leave the black tape on it.
Speaker 2: So there's a story there, everybody.
Speaker 1: This one, No, that's Steve. I'm trying to remove this one. This one doesn't deserve to be there. That's the deer I killed in Texas that you rattled up for me.
Speaker 2: Why can he be there? It's just a little scrawny white memory. Yeah, we're closing down here. Derailed Randall.
Speaker 8: Best part of the week, Best part of the week, oh, I don't want to repeat Janie's comments because that's for me. I think the coolest part. I'm just just connecting with people. But I just enjoy life on the road. I enjoy being around I enjoyed being around people that are just joking all the time. And you wake up and you do the same thing every day, and and uh, I spent a lot of years like either working from home or or you know, just kind of staring into a monitor, and it's just would have necessarily predicted what was going to go on in your life. No, And I feel like I've said this a couple of times. I feel like I'm back on the on the school bus playing high school football, where we just you know, go around every day and we we you know, talk about and I also think like we're taking the performance aspect very seriously, like we're we're talking about what went well, what what didn't go well, what you can prove.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of fun to just have a whole crew and there's like a real camaraderie to the whole thing. Yeah for sure. Sure. Well, thank you guys all for being here. Evan, thanks for being here.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm sweating tonight is I want to figure out how I can sneak out.
Speaker 2: And go have a seat to sit in to watch him play. Yeah, so I don't want to look at the side of his head. Yeah, you're definitely side stage. I want to be able to go out. Yeah, well you.
Speaker 8: Could put on the Santa Claus beard and do it incogniti.
Speaker 2: I don't mean that. It just means I got to figure out how you go, like get down there from where we go to to where people go. We'll work it out. We'll work it out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just put on the Santa Claus outfit.
Speaker 2: That'll That's kind of the opposite away I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to just remind, uh, Steve, you have one thing tonight. Juju Newcomb is going to be in the audience.
Speaker 2: Don't say those swear words. Just just bring you take a joke, just bring it down or not. No, okay, no, she can't take.
Speaker 4: If I make a joke about how that kid's my favorite, one of my three, that's because I'm her favorite.
Speaker 2: So it's like, no, but don't no swear words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I had that's the only man I had to define for Steve. What swear words were today moment. Is it just is it just there's there's no like, there's no like adult content. It's just no swear words. I mean, and it's your show, I.
Speaker 4: Know, but I'm just wanting, like, I don't want to like what would be an example if you remove swear words, there's no thing that's left.
Speaker 2: To worry about.
Speaker 7: Is there Is there anything?
Speaker 1: He said so far, you've done watched the great Yeah, there's not been anything that that put up the Nukem red Flag.
Speaker 8: I had some new material prepared for tonight, but I'm gonna cut it out.
Speaker 1: Look at yeah yeah, no, so Joannest talked about having the crowd dude the Michigan Hello and Brent and.
Speaker 2: I were like, no, oh well I made yeah, okay, yeah, don't do that in the South. Joannis was honking at people today in Fable.
Speaker 4: I know that was some of the weirdest driveway parking lot etiquette maneuvering I've seen.
Speaker 2: I was humiliated.
Speaker 4: That was the weirdest thing come in Hot Punk that Lady Boxer in kind of creeper out.
Speaker 5: This is coming from the only guy that had literally a moratorium on being able to drive rental vehicles when we both.
Speaker 7: Worked for zero point zero.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't let him no.
Speaker 7: Because every time he did, there'd be a smashed back window.
Speaker 2: Back into a palm tree. One time broke the window.
Speaker 7: Why are you guys letting Steve's ride?
Speaker 2: Well, it's gonna be a lot of fun tonight.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank all, you guys really appreciate it. Keep the wild places wild. Excess for the barsl