Speaker 1: So it's taken a while, but my bathroom, your back cave is finished.
Speaker 2: The bath cave is bath cave, the bath cave, the bath cave is done.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: Are you so happy?
Speaker 2: I'm so happy.
Speaker 3: And have you been reading in the shower?
Speaker 1: No, I have not been reading in the shower at all. Strangely enough, i've ever met a reading that's where you should read.
Speaker 2: It's like reading in a womb.
Speaker 1: It's warm and cozy and wonderful. And I will get back to reading in the shower, but for now, I'm just getting used to my my bath cave.
Speaker 2: And one of the things I have.
Speaker 1: And I'll post a picture, is so there was this useless kind of little closet thing that I've opened up and made a much bigger kind of closet area, and I have some Batman stuff up there. And so two of the things I have are this bat signal that you gave me, and then above that is the bat.
Speaker 2: Shoes the sneakers that you gave me.
Speaker 1: And so it looks super cool and it's exactly when I asked the guy what kind of tie, he said, well, what kind of towels you want? I said, imagine Batman comes back from just fighting everybody in Gotham and he's covered in blood.
Speaker 2: What bathroom does Bruce Wayne walk into?
Speaker 1: So that's the bathroom that I had designed, and I'm pretty happy, pretty happy.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's a cool.
Speaker 1: Gray brick all along the side. You have to take an elevator down.
Speaker 3: Sick. I wish he.
Speaker 4: Has a that comes out and removes his back.
Speaker 2: Okay, it gets even better because I then put up a hook and I went online and I found the most Bruce Wayne robe I could find. It's this long, black cape kind of thing with this sick hood that comes out.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Ants.
Speaker 5: I'm at my parents' house right now and I'm in my my where my grandparents used to live.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm sleeping, and I saw a robe.
Speaker 1: Oh it's going to be a good one too, Mickey mouse robe.
Speaker 2: I still have that which one is?
Speaker 3: So I know it's just a little boom.
Speaker 1: My gosh, I still have Is that the best? No? Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But it does look pretty ragged. It's been loved.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought, I thought we had boy me like Navy Blue Boy.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot of robes.
Speaker 5: Okay, baby, he gave us no. But the Christmas gift every year for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was cool. I remember one year Disney gave a gift. It was I think many years after Boy Me World, and and then I had done something I think it was kimpossible something like that, and this little package arrived and I was like, oh, that sweet, and I just forgot about it.
Speaker 2: I forgot about it, and like a year later I opened it. It was a video iPod.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I should have opened this a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just kind of I've assumed it was some little trinket for going and I was like, oh, they've upped their their gift game a.
Speaker 4: Couple of years ago. It was a Disney themed crock pot, a little a mini crock pot and some silicons.
Speaker 1: I still have the little Mickey Mouse. Uh the hands that are it's Mickey's hands. But you've got the what are they the measuring sticks like the measuring cups cut Yeah, my parents.
Speaker 3: Mickey Mouse phone downstairs, which is pretty great. Yeah really yeah, Mickey the things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still have the Mickey phone. I have that my Darth Vader one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's cute. I didn't get I got rid of some I made some interesting choices. If things get rid of I wish I still had some of those things.
Speaker 2: I still have that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, Welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: I'm Daniel Fishl, I'm right or Strong, and I'm will for Dell.
Speaker 4: Welcome to today's episode recap at Season six, episode nineteen Be True, air date April ninth, nineteen ninety nine. The synopsis. When mister Feene finally musters up the courage to ask Dean Bolander out, a surprise arrives in the form of her ex, Curtis Kincaid, so Eric convinces Corey and Sean to evoke their old bad boy college selves to keep Foene's hopes alive. It was directed by mister Mickey Dolans, the Drummer and the Monkies, Yes, the drummer and lead singer of the legendary Monkeys, a pop group forever link to Boy Meets World, as each member of the band appeared on the show at some point, except except for Mike Mesmeth Yes he did not.
Speaker 1: Oh showed up the night of the of the sh Oh and said Okay, I'll be in it, and they went, that's not how that works, Mike.
Speaker 2: We've been rehearsing all week.
Speaker 1: This sounds the story. This is okay, this is this is a Sherman story.
Speaker 2: He's the one who brought him all.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's the one who he's Mickey Dolan's best friend.
Speaker 3: If it's a good Hollywood story.
Speaker 1: Oh, I saw I saw him. He was one hundred percent there with his big, bushy beard. So he was definitely there that I can that I can attest to. But I mean, that's the story we heard, is that he was like, I want to be on the show, and they were kind of like, you can't.
Speaker 4: You can't do that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Monkeys were put together by NBC to play a fictional group for a scripted comedy, but became a real life chart topping band with songs like I'm a Believer, Last Train to Clarksville and Daydream Believer, great song, Why so many Believers?
Speaker 2: They believe in a lot of things. The Monkeys, I do really worked for them. Yeah.
Speaker 4: This was the only episode of Boy Meets World he directed, and he is now the last surviving member of the Monkeys. It was written by David Brownfield. And before I jump into our guest stars, anyone want to share their overall thoughts.
Speaker 5: All right, what did you guys think when you realized which episode this was? When you because like I saw the title be True, I was like, what is that?
Speaker 3: And then it started.
Speaker 5: I was like, this is the be episode that Mickey directed. And then I was like, this one's awful. This is a disaster. Everything about this is gonna suck. Oh my god, I can't believe I have to watch this. And then I was so pleasantly surprised. Yi, this is a great episode, and I hated myself for tanking it.
Speaker 3: I was like, writer, God, I was not good in this episode.
Speaker 2: It wasn't horrible, but I was like, I think you're great.
Speaker 5: I know, me and Ben there's you know, we were like not having fun, like and this is the classic. Like my memory is entirely based on the experience on the set, which was not fun.
Speaker 3: This week.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason, we were miserable.
Speaker 5: I think it's because of the props. I think it's because we had a different director. It felt like a lot of things that had nothing to do with our show, or I don't know, whatever reason. It was a bad week personally, and so those memories completely infected what otherwise is a very funny script and like totally fun, totally fun episode.
Speaker 1: Now that I agree with you one hundred percent, That's what I remember was that this was not a good week for us as a as a company, you know Bill. I remember Bill having a lot of struggling this week with just the kind of atmosphere that was brought onto the set. This week was not a great one, and there was some struggles that were going on there, and I think that bled down to kind of the rest of us. And so that's what I remembered too. And I remember sitting that same thing where I was like, oh God, this episode and then watching it with Sue, We're both cackling. It was like, this is hysterically funny.
Speaker 2: This is a great episode.
Speaker 1: I was so happy we needed it this season with the last couple episodes we've had, and so it was just it was the quintessential.
Speaker 2: I was so happy to see this episode again.
Speaker 4: It was so fun. And I did remember that the overall memory of this episode was that it was a that it was bad. I didn't remember why, and even hearing you guys talk about the energy on set, I have no memory of what that energy was. Was there a lot of conflict between Mickey and Michael.
Speaker 2: No, it was Mickey and Bill.
Speaker 3: Bill. I think Bill was you know, Bill had a lot to do this episode.
Speaker 5: I mean it was a lot suddenly, you know, he went from what two lines of an episode in for a while and to having to do a lot of comedy, having to do physical stuff, having to like you know, so I think that he was under pressure.
Speaker 3: His wife was there.
Speaker 5: Ye know, I don't know what happened, but it was not a good on set environment. And I'm yeah, and yeah, it's funny to hear that will because like I, you know, I didn't consciously remember that it was Bill being upset, but like I could tell, especially in the scene where Ben and I are like breaking all the stuff, like we are low energy, we are. I also think we did not do a live audience. If I remember energy, it is a block and shoot, which made it harder and more complicated. So yeah, I think it was yeah, But watching it, I was like I was just not feeling it, which.
Speaker 3: Is too bad because the idea of like.
Speaker 5: Corey Sean doing their like Corey Sean stuff should have been fun, Like we should have been having fun with this stuff, and instead I could tell that it was laborious.
Speaker 2: For me even watching it was like, yeah, it was a strange week.
Speaker 1: It was a strange week that still birthed a really fun episode.
Speaker 4: I know. It's even just listening to you guys talk about it. It's funny to me that, like thinking taking myself out of the show, thinking about people watching it going they must have had so much fun that week, you know, because like it does play like a really fun episode, and then to know that bts. Everyone was like, let's.
Speaker 1: Just get through it, because it is a shame. It put It puts some OG's back together, put Corey and Sean back together, and why they were.
Speaker 2: Supposed to mafia guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they put Eric and Feenie back together, and it was the way it was supposed to be seen.
Speaker 5: I was just like, oh, pure Eric feene Joy. I was like, yes, just keep doing this, and you guys are so good in it.
Speaker 3: It was really fun and.
Speaker 1: It was great and and yeah, I didn't remember obviously, there's certain things that have become memes, like you're in a triangle, Feenie, So I remembered when that came. I was like, oh wait, this is this is that scene. But other than that I and then the brain the thing fast.
Speaker 2: I remember that. Then the rest of the week I knew.
Speaker 1: Nothing of this episode, the whole thing with Matt Lawrence and the Giant shoes.
Speaker 2: Didn't like. None of that was I remembered.
Speaker 3: I will say, not a great beet story.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just kind of thrown in there, and.
Speaker 5: The tag is pretty pretty bad. There's a robber that storyline just went to there. It's like this one note joke three times and old.
Speaker 1: Keep old women thinking that they shouldn't be together was kind of the joke.
Speaker 2: It should have been an old lady, and then it should have been a little kid, and then it should like.
Speaker 4: Right, why are there something lay in her building?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I bet this is how that went. They went, uh, and then they walk.
Speaker 5: Into the hallway and there's an old lady and she says, you're too tall for it, right, And then they were like and then then they come out and there's somebody else who does it too, And then even the robber does that, and they were like.
Speaker 3: But what if the robber was also an old lady? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: It was like it just went a hat on a hat, and so they were like, actually, guys, it's it's not that funny funny.
Speaker 2: And now you're just I want those shoes, though I wasn't. I want to try that. I want to see what it's.
Speaker 1: Like to be because, as Susan pointed out to me, and we'll get to it in the scene, she's in.
Speaker 2: Flats, I know.
Speaker 1: So I did not realize that she's literally like ten inches taller than Matt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he's not.
Speaker 2: That much shorter than me. I mean, we're yeah, he's maybe an.
Speaker 3: Inch or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's probably at least five eight, if not five nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Guest starring Francis ex McCarthy is Curtis kincaid. He's a recognizable character actor you've seen in movies like The Man with Two Brains, Basketball, Summer School, and Summer Rental.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh okay.
Speaker 5: Sole was immediately will oh god, yes, because I was like, this guy's amazing. He must work all the time. But I actually couldn't think of anything I've seen him in. Summer Rental is the only movie that you mentioned that I've seen, So.
Speaker 1: You haven't seen The Man with Two Brains. No, Oh my god, it's Steve Martin. Arguably Steve Martin's greatest movie ever seen. So was the blinding reference to that? Were they like riffing on not?
Speaker 2: I mean not really he did.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have that big a part, but it's Oh God, the Man with Two Brains is It's one of the greatest comedies of all time.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: He was also in around one hundred TV shows, including Cheers, Saint Elsewhere, alf, The Secret World of Alex Mac and ncis. He is still working at the age of eighty three. Oh sweet, Yeah, we have Bonnie Bartlett back as Dean Lila Bolander. Yes, and Sandra Gould plays Little Old Lady. She's best known as Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched, but also amongst over her one hundred credits is I Love Lucy, The Jack Benny Program. I'm just gonna say, program like that program, Jack Benny Program. I'm watching my programs, The Jack Benny Program, The Brady Bunch, and the Dawn Knotts movie, The Ghost and Mister Chicken, and Boy Meets World was her last role. She would die later that year at age eighty three. Oh my god, she did to enjoy the week either.
Speaker 1: No God, but also you blew by one of the biggest television characters of all time.
Speaker 2: Missus misteris oh miss grat Have you never heard it?
Speaker 1: Like? It's whenever somebody's a nosy neighbor, it's always a real Missus Kravitz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real missus Kravitz.
Speaker 1: That's where that's from. She's with the Missus Kravitz from Bewitch.
Speaker 2: I had no idea. Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 4: We have Lily and Adams as Missus Furlong. She was a very busy background actor, best known as Tilly and Steve Martin's the jerk scene in Navin's Humble Mississippi Beginnings, but she also appeared in Bruce Almighty, Little Nikki Wings, and Frasier. But honestly, she appeared in every TV show from nineteen eighty two to twenty eleven, when she passed away at the age of eighty nine. And finally, Mildred.
Speaker 5: She gets a name and the other other woman gets little old lady.
Speaker 4: There's the other one is missus Bertleson.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 4: She was also on Party of Five, So Mildred Dumas is Missus Bertleson. She was also on Party of Five, Two Guys, A Girl in a Pizza Place, and two episodes of Malcolm in the middle. So, which one do we think is the robber little old lady? Why wouldn't they call her robber or something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, Yeah, because I guess they would know the other women because they were like in the building or neighbors or whatever. But the robber would just be the reveal is it's a little old lady.
Speaker 4: Right right? Assed. I mean also you could call her a burglar. You could call it, you know, call her.
Speaker 1: Burglar to me evokes like the hamburglar, like the black and white shirt and like, oh, I'm gonna punch you in the mush.
Speaker 2: See, Like that's like that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: It's something that I like, I actually do tell my writing students. I was like, an actor is going to have to play this, and you're going to have to hire them. If you write ugly girl number three or fat guy eating in the corner, think about how that's gonna make them feel, and think about the quality of the performance you're going to get from the actor who agrees to do that role versus you know, because they are going to feel defeated already. Just start so just try just try give him a name, give them a little bit you know, it's a gift to the actor whatever. Make it fun for them, not humiliating. But back in the day, they still they used to do it all the time. It would just write that, you know, geeky guy whatever, and it's like they would think it's funny, and you'd get that the perspective of the show or the perspective of the movie is is that what?
Speaker 3: But recognize that a human being is gonna have to play this.
Speaker 1: So give me.
Speaker 4: If I started auditioning again and I started getting a bunch of frumpy, middle middle aged lady roles, I'd be like, oh god, it's okay.
Speaker 5: But I mean even when it's positive, like because you know, I remember having to audition for like hot guy this or whatever, and I would not do it. I would at audition or I'd just be like, I'm never gonna get this. I would be so insecure that I'm like, well, they will obviously want.
Speaker 4: Right, is someone hotter than I would do that.
Speaker 2: I did that all the time.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, we lucky to come in and read for the quarterback. I'm like, why You're never going to cast me as the quarterback? Like it's never gonna happen. But is that fat guy three eating in the corner? That is that available?
Speaker 2: I'd like to I'd like to. Yeah, sitting in a corner. That's all I have to do.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 2: I'll take that all day.
Speaker 4: Jumping into our recap, we start in the student union. Phoene walks in and Eric's seated at a table, quickly spots him. Phoenie, you here, sit now. Phoene hesitantly approaches his student Eric. Don't do that, Eric interrupts him, Dean bolander. Phoene quickly takes a seat. Okay, what you got.
Speaker 1: I was so happy just watching this because I don't remember any of this, but just seeing Eric and Phoenie together again, I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, this is so much, so great.
Speaker 5: So I'm also officially at the stage where I'm appreciating and uh uh wishing I had Phoene's wardrobe. It's delightful. I was just like I was coveting it. That's the word I was looking for. I was coveting Phoenie's wardrobe. I was like, I'm an old I'm an old man. Now I want I want that because that was a it's like a window pane when it is just I was like oh, Phoenie, looking.
Speaker 3: Good, looking good, FENI I want that coat.
Speaker 4: It is so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he always rocks the coat vest combo too.
Speaker 5: Yes, I just feel like you have to be like sixty plus to pull off.
Speaker 1: But like Bonnie told me, I think he still has a lot of his wardrobe. So I think a lot of those suits that he's still got.
Speaker 4: Maybe you, maybe next time when we see Bill in Long Beach, can you maybe ask him? Could I could I borrow one of your jacket vest combos try out for a weekend? See if I like it?
Speaker 2: Thank you love it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry every time you just said when we see Bill and Long Beach, I just picture Bill in his scooter but rock back like this, driving and you're just hearing like the LBC going on in the back, like yeah, just Bill in the LBC.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't be awesome.
Speaker 4: So Eric asks, how old do you know, mister Feennie? What ninety one hundred? Phoene glares back, one hundred. What do you want? Eric clarifies himself, not what I want. It's what you want. But you're not going after Phoene informed Eric my relationship with Dean Bolander will proceed at my pace, not yours. But Eric argues, you are such a scaredy cat. I mean, here's a woman that you've obviously got the hots for, and you're not gonna do anything about it. Mister Feenie angrily looks at Eric. Mister Matthews, don't reduce my feelings for the woman to the hats, unless, of course, she used that term. Eric insists, mister Feenie, you have been good to me over the years. You taught me everything I never paid attention to. It's payback time. Phoene's not interested. Oh no, no, no payback time. I don't want it, Eric, Eric isn't hearing it while sipping his coffee. It's out of your hands, Phoene, Sorry, out of your hands. Phoene explains, Dean Bolander is the kind of woman that you have to romance slowly, carefully, like an orchid. I'm a gardener, I know these things. Then on cue to Pega and Angelo walk in with Dean Bolander. The Dean tells the girls stop selling me. I like the man very much, but he needs to pick up the pace of this dance. To Penga defends her mentor Or isn't there anything to be said for the old fashioned approach. She sarcastically responds, yeah, and then makes a fart noise.
Speaker 2: Raspberry.
Speaker 3: This could have been punched up a little bit. I was like, why, why are to Panga and need us somewhere?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would have been nice to just give a little bit of like pre conversation with you guys that sets up that she that you think that she and.
Speaker 3: PHOENI you know, I don't know. I know it's all time constraint.
Speaker 1: But then Justanga and and Angela and.
Speaker 5: So big at this point, right, and then you have like basically two guest stars. You have the Dean and the Adventurer taking over so much time.
Speaker 2: And old Lady one through eight a lot of people.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It is really interesting thinking about what we've talked about with there being some tension between Mickey and Bill, it is really interesting that they gave this Big Bill episode to a first time director that.
Speaker 2: Had a lot of set pieces. I mean, we had the b and I remember that was a big problem. And the props.
Speaker 1: There was a ton of props and there was new sets, and yeah, maybe that's why they I often wonder do you, I mean, you're both directors, so you would know this. How far into the process will they decide no audience?
Speaker 2: I mean it's the table read or is it well before when they're okay?
Speaker 1: So it's not like sometimes before the scripts are coming in in three weeks from the show, it's like, you know, this episode here, we're not going to do this one in front of the audience.
Speaker 4: On Boy, we probably did decide at the production meeting. On shows I work on now, if they're shows that have a live audience, sometimes like by the time the outline is out, it's already been discussed, this is going to be a big episode. We're already thinking about blocking and shooting, and so it's decided like well before. But on Boy, we probably figured out at the production meeting or the week before when the outline came out and people were like, look at all these sets that we're gonna have to build.
Speaker 2: But this was a thing.
Speaker 1: This was a thing on our show because think about Heyfer's first episode was.
Speaker 2: The Casablanca one.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like there is a lot of times when they get first time directors really complicated shows.
Speaker 3: That's true. Also, the Eskimo was.
Speaker 4: Jody No, it was that was Lish yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that was a difficult one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I mean, and that is that's a that's a definite test of the director for the first time, for sure, and it's an unnecessary one. But like more than even just first time director and big sets for Bill, like Bill would have probably been a lot more comfortable or somebody Kendall, somebody he really knew, who knew him really well, who also knew how Bill liked to receive notes, because did he ever receive notes? Like and so I can't. It just feels like a situation that wasn't set up, Yeah, could have been avoided and wasn't really the most supportive of our you know, the actor on the show that maybe deserved the most protection. So Dean Bolander continues, he needs to do something, he needs to express his feelings. Goodness knows, I've been dropping the man hints left and right. Angela suggests maybe you're being too subtle. Dean Bolander shows some skin and admits I hiked up my skirt at the seminar. Angela is impressed. Damn. Back at the big table, it is funny. Back at the table, Eric is giving Feenie a pep talk. The time is now every second you wait is another clogged artery. The professor turns to look at Dean Bolander and admits, you know, my cholesterol level is high. Eric dramatically asks George. If not, now, when is this the first George from Eric? So I think this is the first.
Speaker 1: I mean that hit the ears weird where it's like, wow, you just called him to George.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Phoene finally decides, Now he gets up, and Eric jumps right out of his chair too, following Phoenie and grabbing his shoulders. That's right, that's right, you are the man. You are the man. Phoene can't take any more. Oh, well, you just get lost. Eric quickly responds, I'm lost. Just bring her home, Just bring her home. Phoene approaches the Dean. Excuse me, Dean Bolander, There's something that I've been meaning to say to you, And then just as he's getting to the good part, he's interrupted by a man barging into the student union with his arms wide open. There she is Lilah Bolander, the eighth Wonder of the World. Dean Bolander yells Curtis and runs into his arms. A defeated Phoene says to Eric, he must know her, and it's a romp. It's a romp. We're we're romping. We go to a commercial break, and then we returned to the student union. Curtis and Dean Bolander walk back to a confused Feenie, their arms intertwined. The Dean is gushing, well, Curtis, what's it been fifteen years? Curtis agrees, All this time, I'm running around the world digging up bones and you're here not aging a day. Doesn't seem fair, but I like it. Eric tries to a sure feene Relax, this guy's got nothing. Dean Bolander walks Curtis over. I want you to meet someone. This is my colleague and friend, George Feeney. Curtis reaches out his hand. Kurt Kincaid put it there. Poene accepts the handshake and responds, a pleasure, mister Kincaid. Curtis laughs, Oh, come on, what's with the mister? It's doctor Kincaid. Wonderful, it's perfect doctor. What's with the mister it's doctor? Dean Bolander explains, Curtis is in town to speak at our science seminar. He's made some top secret fines in Africa. So he came to pen.
Speaker 5: Yes, of course, this is renowned international archaeology school.
Speaker 4: FA okay, Curtis humbly brags, Oh, just a little something that will change the course of the new millennium. Phoene's surprised. So then you're an archaeologist, Curtis pleads George. That makes me feel like a geezer with a compass. I prefer Fortune Hunter Venture or my personal favorite Lila's X husband.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, no, audience, I'm doing it myself.
Speaker 4: Eric whispers to Feeney X. It's not a problem. But then Curtis grabs Dean Bolander's hands and proclaims, but I'm here to win her back. Eric suddenly shifts course and suggests, you know what, you've been alone this long? How about you know, like a puppy.
Speaker 2: Solid for one with a puzzle. Yeah, poor George.
Speaker 1: Does anybody else have a problem thinking that Pembrooke has to be just a school if Eric's at.
Speaker 4: It, No, I have a But.
Speaker 2: It's like Eric and Tapanga are at the same school.
Speaker 5: But there are those schools that are big, like big state schools.
Speaker 3: Are big and they have you know, various levels.
Speaker 2: So this is the Arizona State of I think.
Speaker 3: It's a Penn State. I think it's like Penn State, because Penn State is is.
Speaker 5: Actually a very good school, but it's also very big, and they allow you know, they have a higher acceptance rate because they have like state funding, so they allow people that have like a certain GPA. So it's like, you know, it's it's basically like combining a junior college and a university, but when you get that big, it's like you have all the levels represented.
Speaker 2: The junior college version of basically you know that works for me? Then okay, So then.
Speaker 4: We're in the school hallway. Eric stands in front of Sean and Corey's bake sale table, dramatically narrating a god in a Godfather esque accent, and the man stepped in between them, and the course of true love for one of our own may have forever been altered by this ski voice.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's even a word.
Speaker 4: I don't know either.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't even think it's a word. Okay, where where does this come from? No idea.
Speaker 1: It's also way too long. It's funny, but way too way too funny.
Speaker 5: So I was watching this episode with Ocean, who is like, you know, only seeing one or two episodes of Boys World ever, he used to come to Tapians but he and and that was his date.
Speaker 3: He's like, okay, we get the joke this is And I was like, you know what happened? We did it.
Speaker 5: It was probably like only four lines, and the writers just thought it was so funny.
Speaker 3: And then they were like, let's keep going. This could only get better going.
Speaker 5: It was like, wow, let's let's pull some to Panga Angela dialogue and give it to the guys doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll be funny to give it. Toy drove to the ground.
Speaker 5: They drove it to the ground. By the time, like I'm getting up and walking around. It was like just if we just had us like sipping the.
Speaker 4: Thing, Corey saying, how do you come to me?
Speaker 2: But I just didn't know.
Speaker 3: I just wanted I was.
Speaker 2: I remembered this. I knew it was funny.
Speaker 3: It was funny, but without the music which sets it up. Why is this happening? Why are we suddenly Italian?
Speaker 4: I'm saying, I don't why do you have a bake sale?
Speaker 1: I know, well, I think the whole point is supposed to be you're the two you're the godfathers of Mayhem. So but you've gone legit because Corey is on probation and you have found yourself while traveling.
Speaker 3: How do you know Corey is on.
Speaker 2: He even says it.
Speaker 1: He says that the principle put me on probation for but he goes, I remember, Eric, I hate a teacher.
Speaker 2: I'm on probation. If I do anything, you kicked out of here.
Speaker 5: I guess I just wish before the accents that was set up, do you know what I mean? It was like it was like Eric said I need help. I needed someone to help me. And somebody you know, was next to you and said, well you can't ask Corey and Sean why not?
Speaker 3: Well they've gone legit.
Speaker 5: And then we cut this scene, you know, and then I'm like, oh, okay, they have to do the bake sale because I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was just like to have I was discussing.
Speaker 5: It already in Italian accents.
Speaker 3: I was just disoriented. Okay, I'll just go with it. Yeah whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, too long and very random, but a lot of math.
Speaker 4: For a funny joke. It is a funny joke, but there's a lot of math to get to it. And and yeah, once we got the joke and get a good solid laugh, get out.
Speaker 1: And I also I think we should have dropped the accents at some point and been like, why are we Italian like you?
Speaker 2: Why are you doing that circle?
Speaker 4: Why are you doing it?
Speaker 2: You did it? I don't know. This isn't even my hat, Like I mean, it could have been funny. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Corey looks at Eric and also delves into this mafia inspired moment. Why do you come to us now on this the day of our bake sale? Eric explains, well, because this just happened like five minutes ago. Corey asks, Okay, what do you need? And Eric admits I need for you to do me this favor. The tension is broken up by Sean loudly slurping his coffee. Corey puts his hand on his chest. You need me to do you this favor. You never invited me into your home, You never invited me for a cup of coffee. Sean shakes his head in disapproval.
Speaker 5: Eric thought, but at this point, I was like, the joke is going to be that Sean never speaks, but he has all the power exactly, And so I thought Corey was going to have to like check with me, and I like do a double sip, which that means means something.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's like a And.
Speaker 5: I thought that would have been way funnier and we could have just gotten out. But instead of talking, I got to get up and do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Eric admits, yes, I know, and for this, I am sorry, but we must help Foene. But he mustn't know that it is us that is the biggest This is the biggest job we've ever attempted to pull off. I come to you with my hat in my hand. Corey pipes up, it's my hat, and Eric snaps back, it's my hand. Are you in or are you out?
Speaker 3: Great beat, Sean.
Speaker 4: Chimes in, Eric, we're flattered that you've come to us, but look around. We're legitimate now. Corey points out we're in the bake sale business. But Eric pleads, guys, it's feeny. He's family. This may be his one chance at true love. Sean reminds him, I just spent sixty eight bucks traveling around this country. I learned a few things about life. Corey asks, why don't you tell him what you learned? Sean, Then, breaking character, Corey whispers to his brother, I love this part, Sean starts his diatribe. I learned to be at peace with myself. I like looking over my shoulder and not worrying about who's coming after me. Then as a student walks past Sean, he does look over his shit.
Speaker 5: Funny, it's such a good kind of He was on the other side though, right on the camera, because you just I look away.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the rhythm is oh, it's so funny. He continues. These schemes and capers I used to hatch. They only lead to despair. That's what I learned. I also learned never to park a trailer across a railroad track. When that thing is down.
Speaker 5: It's perfect right, because if I knew the name for it, it wouldn't be fun I think.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 4: It's like, if you knew the name for it, it would be a full lesson learned. Instead, it's just.
Speaker 1: You learn.
Speaker 3: That good.
Speaker 4: Corey ads. Besides, Eric, I hit a teacher. Remember the dean put me on probation. I do one thing wrong, I'm out of here. Sean asks Eric, don't you think Phoene can take care of himself? But Eric shakes his head. I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed to call you guys, my brother Sean. The more we say how long this went on? Every time I read another thing, though, I'm like, but what do you cut?
Speaker 3: That's a problem cut. They were like, we just gotta go with it. We just gotta.
Speaker 2: It's really funny. It was just too long, but it's really funny.
Speaker 4: He grabs a cupcake off the table and shoves it in his mouth, staring down Sean in the process. Then he walks away to a big applause from the inmates. Unimpressed, Sean tells Corey, he ate the paper.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, that's right, there's applause. Yeah, so maybe there was audience.
Speaker 4: There must have been audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it sounded pretty organic though, the clapping, that's right.
Speaker 5: And there's the reaction to the brain stuff they oh and awe.
Speaker 2: But I also I definitely remember.
Speaker 4: Wait, you know what I remember? Maybe they played this episode for another audience, like another week's audience capture and captured reaction.
Speaker 2: That's what they did. Yeah, yeah, that could have been it.
Speaker 4: The brain stuff. There's no way that would have been something we shot in front of the audience.
Speaker 1: No, that was the other side of the that was the same side as the audience.
Speaker 2: As well down you're looking at the audience.
Speaker 1: It was all the way down to the left, and it was a big, cavernous kind of set at the time, and that definitely wasn't done.
Speaker 3: In front of the audience.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if we just blocked and taped a couple scenes and then.
Speaker 3: I'm just remembering.
Speaker 5: This is the episode where and Sing came to visit and I had the conversation about the monkeys.
Speaker 4: Tell the story again. It's so funny. That story cracks me up.
Speaker 5: It was. Yeah, so we were at Craft Service and it was me and Justin and I guess Lance or whoever else having a conversation about like what's next, and and just well, yeah, for indsake, and Justin was like, yeah, well, you know, they want us to do like a TV show or you know, like with the band as acting. And I was and I was like, uh, are you going to do that? And You're like, yeah, we really don't want to do that. And we were both just sort of like acknowledging and that's kind of a crappy.
Speaker 3: Cheesy hockey idea.
Speaker 5: And Mickey Dolan's grabbed a handful of nuts right behind from Craft Services, like why why not why not? And was eating and I just remember watching Justin turn make realize.
Speaker 3: Who he was talking to, make the calculation be like, oh, well it's just not you know, we'll see it's you're on Twitter.
Speaker 5: We'll probably I don't know why we would, and like it was just one of the greatest moments only see the creation and like, oh Timberlake back pedaling in front of them.
Speaker 2: Only in Hollywood craft service tables you.
Speaker 1: Get to see this kind of Oh why would band being a TV show?
Speaker 3: That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: Oh hello, Hello, he's behind me, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It probably also came out of now that I realized that the conversation probably evolved out of Nobody's angel having been on our show, so you know, the idea of like boy bands appearing on shows, Like I'm sure that that's why he and I were talking.
Speaker 4: About Mickey Dolan's direct that episode.
Speaker 3: That would that would have made sense.
Speaker 5: But I'm sitting there, Yeah, I probably was like, you know, it really didn't work, Like we had these girls on her ship, you don't know what. And then Justin was like, yeah, they want us to do it, but it's gonna be why would we ever do that?
Speaker 3: Oh, mickey, it's a great moment.
Speaker 4: So then we're in the apartment. Jack and Rachel are making out, but something seems to be bothering her. Jack is worried. What's the matter? She explains, you know, I really love this, but have you noticed that this is all we do? Jack smiles, Yeah, isn't it great? She agrees, Yeah, yeah, it is great, but I want more. Jack looks up at God. Oh thank you. He grabs Rachel's hand to head upstairs. Well, more is right this way.
Speaker 1: So they're not sleeping together, of course, lived together, of course, sleep together.
Speaker 2: It's just but again, we've we've.
Speaker 1: Already talked about the fact that that Jack has had sex because he's in the Streame episode.
Speaker 2: He's dead. So you just I don't know why they had to bracket.
Speaker 1: The fact that they're definitely not having sex, Like, why even address it in any way? Shape because it's they're in their twenties and they live together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, enter dating.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just a kid's show, I know, but it's not though at this point they were all, you know, adults in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's TJF.
Speaker 3: Though they're still hoping that eight year olds are watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It just seemed like a weird thing to throw out there, like, yes, I get to have sex with this adult woman I live.
Speaker 4: With the next thing, she said, But but she stops him. Oh no, I mean I want us to be a couple. So okay, so they're not officially a couple.
Speaker 2: They live together.
Speaker 4: I mean that's but they live together because they're because they were living together.
Speaker 2: They separate rooms. We think they're I think she went up in one direction.
Speaker 4: He Jack's confused. We are a couple. She's not sold. I want to go out, Jack, we haven't gone out since we've become a couple. Why don't we ever go anywhere? So I guess they are a couple. I don't know. He disagrees. We go plenty of places. He points to different places in the apartment. First you went there, then you went there, and now we're gonna go up there. She clarifies, I want to be with people. I want to go dancing. Jack looks stressed. Let's go to the movies. She points out. The movies are dark, no one will see us, and I want to show you off. She scoots closer to him. I want to go dancing. You can dance, right, Jack half heartedly answers, Yeah, I can dance.
Speaker 1: It's a great answer to the way he does it because he can.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, I can dance.
Speaker 4: She hugs him and exclaims, great. Then we'll go dancing tomorrow night. She begins to walk upstairs. Oh, Jack, this is going to be so much fun. I can't wait. Jack does not seem to be too happy about this plan. And then we're in Phoenie's classroom and the students are sitting at their desks, while Feenie and Dean Boland are also watch on as Curtis speaks to the class about his adventures. So I jump off the cliff, grab hold of a big old branch jungle gym to the river and never saw Chief Yakazo's ugly mug again. And the cursed Ruby of the zang Kwai now resides in the Turkish Museum of Natural History, diagonally across from the Hard Rock Cafe. Hard Rock Cafe makes me laugh. So gosh, it was so big in the nineties.
Speaker 2: It was so great, and it was do you remember Planet Hollywood?
Speaker 1: Is the captain crunched chicken fingers that we would all go to get the cafic crunch with that amazing dipping sauce.
Speaker 5: Like, why did we I feel like I was always being invited to planet Hollywood for some of the events.
Speaker 3: We were always.
Speaker 4: Invited to Planet Hollywood. We got to put our hands in the mud.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They only wanted to peng us.
Speaker 2: No, I got I had mine done too.
Speaker 3: Really you did it too, for sure, And it wasn't mud. It was cement, right, I.
Speaker 5: Mean that's like, okays, muddy stuff, just like you put it in mud and then wash it.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so like four inches three four.
Speaker 1: Inches okay, regular photo this episode photo.
Speaker 5: For some reason, they put her in lifts then even though they look like flats.
Speaker 2: Look how much taller she is now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe she's in flats for that opening scene so that we established she's in flats, and then for the rest of the episode she actually wore heels.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe that's what it is, because I mean she's like, she's like, it's six inches taller than him.
Speaker 4: Though if she stood right next to him, it wouldn't be that big of a difference. I bet that angle, but I do it is possible that she had on little heels for the rest of the episode, and for that establishing shut those.
Speaker 2: Are her shoes in the episode. I can't tell what they are.
Speaker 4: Ah, there's a little heel there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's what.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's what because this is the two of them together when he's in I can't dig shoes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's getting like six inches.
Speaker 2: Off of that at least at least, so okay.
Speaker 4: All the students except for Eric, clap in amazement to paying an angela let out and inspired Wow. Eric aggressively asks them, Hey, whose side are you on? Phoene speaks up, well, thank you, doctor Kincaid for that vivid story, which provides us with a perfect transition into today's assignment, where on neighboring crete we will find Sir Arthur Evans excavating a minoan nosis. I don't know what. I don't know how to say any of the beginning in eighteen ninety nine, as Phoeney continues to lecture, the class clearly falls into Eric casually walks to the front of the room to throw something out, and on his way back to his seat, Eric coughs into Phoene's ear, you're dying.
Speaker 3: Do something.
Speaker 4: Phoeney continues, we will read what Evans was most interested in excavating and the effect it had on archaeology in the twentieth century. Even Curtis looks bored. He exclaims, ponderous, man, ponderous, while shaking his head. Dean Bolander tells her ex George is a fine educator, Curtis. Curtis shrugs his shoulders. Sorry, but when you've had these experiences firsthand, it's a little hard to get excited about reading a book. But I suppose reading is a lot safer than actually doing something.
Speaker 2: Oh Shot, still in the audience, Yehill be the audience.
Speaker 4: Eric, Corey and Sean overhear these statements, and a little Italian music starts to play. The three boys exchange looks. Corey leans into Sean back in his godfather accent. I feel as though this gentleman may require our attention. Sean nods in agreement, perhaps a lesson in humility. Corey adds something big, Shawna grees something spectacular. Corey looks at Sean and in his normal voice, prefaces, but let's not get caught like all the other times. Okay, and then we're in the college science department storage closet. Sure, Corey and Sean walk inside, and.
Speaker 2: Seriously, it's like, is this the Smithsonian? What's happening here?
Speaker 4: Apparently this college is an overflow from a museum. Corey is excited. Oh ho, shany of all the plans we've concocted, this is the best one. And we have concocted some doozies. Shawn agrees, and Feenie always caught us. But we're in college now, we are older, we're wiser. Corey wonders, you think he's up to the challenge. Sean grins. It's us against him, living on the edge. Babe. Corey gushes, I like it when you call him babe. Sean is ready. All right, So Eric said, this guy Curtis stored all the stuff from his last dig here in the science lab. Corey examines the artifacts. Yeah, he's supposedly got something that's going to alter the course of the new millennium. Sean asks, are we ready to execute phase one of our master plan? Didn't you guys already have this conversation like you were we ready? It feels like we could have cut this little part out.
Speaker 2: This is also a terrible plan, breaking artifacts. It's like, how is this the plan?
Speaker 5: This wat this is where we were miserable, and I think, yeah, you know, it's just I don't know.
Speaker 4: It is true that for all the mayhem Corey and Sean, cause they're not usually destructive.
Speaker 5: No at all, No, and that the funny parts were always that Sean was making Corey do it and Corey was more nervous, right, amazingly, so the dynamic of the Corey Sean doesn't ever work like this, right, Like think about think about the B and B episode, right, like the whole the dynamic is Sean being like, it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: It's exactly, it's a victimless crime, right yes.
Speaker 5: And and but also just the between the two of us, the energy, whereas this has this like weird performative, like I don't know, it just feels weird.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, yeah, I agree, this doesn't. It feels a little out of character. Although the characters, the idea for it is funny, it's just not not in character.
Speaker 1: I remember, this is where all the problems started, was just this set. Everything in this set was that we were just not.
Speaker 5: And I think coming back, it probably had to do with just all the props, you know, like all that stuff adds time makes actors.
Speaker 4: Some actress are really good actors.
Speaker 3: And then we had not We had to be that. We had to like drug do you remember this.
Speaker 4: We had to like there was a real bee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had.
Speaker 5: Like a b wrangler and and because you know, we don't want to like put we had to put a live b on her.
Speaker 3: And I forget how we did it, but there's some like thing you you.
Speaker 5: Like, stun a bee and put it on her and you know it probably didn't have a stinger.
Speaker 3: I don't like. I just it was a lot. There was a lot of stuff going on and everyone was stressed out.
Speaker 2: And there's like nine people in that set. Yeah, I mean we think about it's the whole damn cast is in that one set. Yeah. It was.
Speaker 1: I remember just not going well the whole week. I mean just it was every time we stepped into that set, it was not a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hearing you talk about it, if I were a director getting that script, I'd be like, oh my gosh, we have a huge set with a bunch of props and we've got nine people in it with a live b. I'd be like, this is a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember you and I and Trina were just like, we did our best to just tuck back away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were.
Speaker 1: Trying to step but then they'd have us step up for a line and then step back, and then step up for a line and step back, and it was just one of those.
Speaker 2: Very awkward, yeah, very awkward times.
Speaker 4: So Corey's enthused, let's mess this place up. The boys start aimlessly throwing paper in the air and moving things all around. Corey announces, you know, Shannie, I honestly don't see how anything could be simpler. He agrees this is child's play. What's this? Sure enough, he's examining a brain in a big jar. Corey insists that's gotta be his discovery. He discovered the world's first brain. If this gets out, PHOENI will never get the Dean. Sean's impressed. You could get any woman with the world's first brain. Corey wonders, could I get to Panga? Sean responds, yeah, I think you could could have been.
Speaker 1: Lifted also, So the just to follow the track.
Speaker 2: The plan is.
Speaker 1: Trash the stuff and make it and Blaine feenie. So then when the Dean comes in, what because Eric then throws in like he just made it up. Oh, this was an act of love, So that wasn't part of the original plan.
Speaker 5: So that I think the original plan is to make it look like Feenie destroyed ofrage of jealousy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, attacked his find.
Speaker 4: So I do think you're part of it. Was with that was was part of it, even.
Speaker 1: Though it seems I didn't play it like that at all, because I played it like I just Eric just comes up with But it's an act of love like it was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like he. I didn't play it like I was.
Speaker 3: In on the You screwed it up as an actor.
Speaker 2: If that's the plan, this whole episode is my fault. That's my fault.
Speaker 1: You apologize just me andry about I didn't hear anything after be Wrangler.
Speaker 2: I'm honest with you.
Speaker 3: Let's go, I want to be a be Wrangler. Let's get Mackey.
Speaker 2: Yeah Francis you said, Francis is eighty three.
Speaker 4: Now he's still working, He's still doing it. Corey lets out a Homer Simpson style whoa and grabs the brain jar. Sean stops him. Whoa, whoa? Hey, that jar has been closed for five thousand years. Corey is struggling to open it. You know, this must be the world's first jar. How do I get this thing open? Also, this this joke about the world's first brain, isn't that funny?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Not to keep it going, and it keeps going, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I know, And it's all this level of like are we supposed to be stupid? Because then we're able to like reference all the like yeah, actual artifacts and stuff. So it's like, are we doing this ironically?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're also hitting a jar like you're going to open a screwtop jar, which is actually just a pull off things.
Speaker 5: I think the point was we know all these things are going to happen, and that we're supposed to just be like ironically protect like we're having a dialogue.
Speaker 3: To just we just want to trash the place.
Speaker 5: So this was supposed to be like if you paste this up and Ben and I played it with a level of like banter, like fast banter, I think it would have worked. But instead we're like kind of really playing it really saying like as if we think this it's slow, it's just not working. So I wonder if the dialogue was meant to be like hand me that we're a first jar and instead we're.
Speaker 3: Like, wow, that's the old you know. It's like it's just too intense, it's too slow, and it's it's it's an energy thing. We should this should have all been like breezy ridiculousness.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're right, you're right. You guys are if you guys are ironically having a conversation about this brain, Yes, it's it's funny ten times faster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like can't bampam. But you don't even have time to process it.
Speaker 4: So Corey is struggling to open it. You know, Uh, how do I get this thing open? Sean has an idea, hand me the rare Phoenician mallet. Corey picks up a nearby object, and Sean explains, no, no, no, no, that's an Egyptian dental tool. He points to a different object and hits the jar with it. The tool snaps in half, and Sean sighs, Phoenician piece of crap. So we've had a damn and a crap in one episode.
Speaker 2: We're also breaking artifacts.
Speaker 4: Sean isn't bothered. I'll replace it. I see them all the time at bed bath and Phoenician.
Speaker 3: Good joke.
Speaker 4: It's a funny joke. Here, hand me the byzantine statue of King Hafaratu. Corey hands him the gold piece and Sean hits it on, hits it on the jar as hard as he can. On impact, it shatters into hundreds of pieces. Sean moves along home shopping channel. There's six billion of them left now amongst the mess. Sean easily pops the lid off the brain jar and Corey reaches in to grab it. We get some ea from the audience as the slime drips off the prop. Wow, the human brain, Corey says, the thing that separates us from the animals. Seawan agrees, because they would have an animal brain. Corey nods in agreement. I hold in my mind a.
Speaker 3: Lot of character that Corey just like, is cool with reaching in and grabbing a brain.
Speaker 4: I know it's yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, first of all, that's just a weird thing to do. That's I don't think any person would just grab it.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh why would you? There's no reason. You broke it open, put it on the floor, tip it on its side. You don't need to take the brain out. Corey nods in agreement. I hold in my hands the pinnacle of God's creation. Think fast. He chucks the brain at Sean's chest and it falls to the ground. We see it split in half. Sean asks, you want personality or motor skills?
Speaker 2: Good joke, pretty good, Joe, very very fun.
Speaker 5: That's what they wanted to get to, because that's a good joke.
Speaker 4: To your idea or to your note earlier, where you were like, we know all of this is going to happen, Why then do you act? Why is it bad or shocking or surprising? When it splits in half, like now we've really done some damage to it, Like as if just opening it on its own wasn't bad enough. I don't know it just in this moment it felt like, oops, we may have gone too far and why? But why? Why is this too far? Anyway? We're in Phoenie's classroom. Phoene is teaching his students about energy when Eric, who's in the back of the classroom, slams his hand on his desk and shouts, Phoene, stop hiding behind your books. Phoene ignores Eric and continues his explanation on quantum physics, but Eric can see right past the facade. Oh, Phoenie you're in pain, Phoene snaps Eric, you're not even in this class. Nevertheless, Eric wages on, but someone who is perfect fine does not let some world famous, super duper explorer guy who's five times the man you'll ever be, swoop in and take your booty. Feenie angrily shouts, she is not my booty.
Speaker 1: I love you, and then he's like coming's like coming, the audience, like the his classroom. Down'm like, sorry, sorry, such a great beat.
Speaker 4: He is embarrassed by his outburst, but tells Eric and if she was my booty, I would prefer not to talk about my booty in front of the entire class. Eric breaks it to him, Look, come on, Phoenie, everybody knows. Phoenie insists, no one knows. I have behaved in a manner befitting a man of my situation. Eric decides to ask the class himself. Okay, who here knows who? Feenie loves the whole class, yells in unison.
Speaker 2: The dean.
Speaker 3: So they don't have to get paid.
Speaker 4: Yep, don't worry, we would never pay all those people. Foene points to the door. All right, everybody out now alone. Eric tries to assure him just rooting for you, mister Feoene. Why won't you make your move? Phoeney explains Eric. In a world that is not run by savages, there is such a thing as decorum. Now, decorum would suggest that a gentleman allow a lady to resolve an old relationship before he endangers her in a new one. Eric argues, yes, but see, you're already in a new relationship. You're in a triangle, Feene. Eric makes a triangle with his fingers. Do you make a square?
Speaker 2: Do you make a square that's become a meme? That trying? Rachel yell yah.
Speaker 4: Eric makes a square with his fingers and takes it, and take it from somebody who's been in a triangle before he who hesitates is lost. Eric realizes his pain and screams Rachel child. Phoene's concerned, but Eric and says, I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm fine, I'm just like you. This terrifies Foene. Oh dear, I don't want to be like you, and Eric starts sobbing, and then we're back in the science lab. Sean is still holding the split brain. Cory, you at a perfectly good world's first brain, and now look at it. Corey says, he's sorry, Sean Hansom see like this part. What so Sean handsom the brain and asks for help. Well, here, just like smash it back together and put it back in the jar. Corey nods and casually throws the brain back in the jar. You know what, I better hide this because then on c he drops the glass jar onto another glass jar and it is a shattered mess. This is the same kind of broken jars.
Speaker 1: A lot of broken jars, and it's the same kind of problem we had in the Godfather scene where it's like it's funny dialogue and funny stuff happening. That's just it's way too long. Yeah, they keep cutting back. They're still in the thing and still with the brain. After the Phoenix, it's like, okay, we're still on this.
Speaker 4: When if you were really pulling a keeper, you'd be in and out as fast as you could possibly be. You do what you needed to do, and you'd get out of it. And you know, thinking back to like you and you writer saying that you feel like you weren't committed to it, these questions were asked because even though it's maybe it's funny when you're the actor in it, and you're just looking for I need threads of reality to hold on to to. I can circle around them with with hilarity, but I need to know what the thread of reality is? Is this the plan? Like, what's the plan with the are we go?
Speaker 3: Are we is?
Speaker 4: Our plan to break the brain?
Speaker 3: I got the fix? This is the fix?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: To Panga and Angela are they're trying to stop, They're like, this is too far, this is too much.
Speaker 3: What are you guys doing?
Speaker 5: And we're lecturing them on how to be good you know, schemers and we're breaking everything so you're able to have the tension.
Speaker 3: You guys are like, don't know, put that down? That could be the first human brand, could it? Oh right?
Speaker 5: You know, and like we're being the kooky ones. Well, you guys are the thread of reality being like this is a stupid plan?
Speaker 4: Is the best a bad idea?
Speaker 3: And then you have something to.
Speaker 5: Do And then in the reveal scene you could be saying, oh, that actually worked. You know, there's a turn for your characters, like I can't believe it. We're instead this is all just like inevitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have I would have even taken that idea and gone even farther where I would have had the entire episode. The two people that are trying to get them together and scheming but bad at it are Angela and Panga, and it's and it's Sean and Corey like, ah, I'm never going to be able to do this by themselves, Like it's that and them having like the caper or trying to pull off a caper and just being bad at it is actually really funny.
Speaker 2: And then it's the boys kind of showing them how to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the girls just want to dance.
Speaker 4: So that's just to writer's point though, if it had been that we were that, maybe we were saying, like, you cannot do this. You're like, we never do anything. We don't We're not going to ruin anything that bad, we just said. And then it's an accident, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Even though we can fix this crash.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, there's a couple of little fixes.
Speaker 1: That could have that could have happened, but it seem like they're literally just going in and trashing all this really priceless stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then, for whatever reason, the brain separating is one step too far amongst the plan of already breaking stuff, so that loses much.
Speaker 3: Change in this the whole scene.
Speaker 5: It's two scenes, and all that happens is we walk in, break something to release a bee and open a window. Those are the only actual changes, right. Everything else is non change and it takes.
Speaker 3: Like two Yeah, it's like that's just the problem. And so if they had and so they're trying to cre attention because.
Speaker 5: They came up with some good jokes, you know, the finish and this the brain thing, the skills, and they just got hooked on those jokes and they were like, well, how do I pick.
Speaker 4: This work right? Corey's eyes widen. Uh oh, Sean walks over. Oh, he broke another jar. Wonder what was in that one. Suddenly we hear a loud buzz. Sean admits, whoa, that is one of angry bee. Corey fights on forget the bee, on to phase two. He points at the window. Sean smirks, yeah, how about we open a window for some air. Corey tries to stop him. Wait a minute, Sean won't opening a window set off alarm. And just as Sean opens the window and alarm goes off, Sean sarcastically comments, almost like this was part of their plan. Oh man, we never learn anything, do we, Corey responds, unbothered, no, And now the teacher from next door is gonna hear that alarm. Sean continues, and he's gonna come in here all mad. Corey adds, like they've seen it hundreds of times before. I know how this will end. And I wonder who that teacher's gonna be on cue. Phoene comes running through the door. Both Corey and Sean continue to go through the robotic motions. Oh no, it's feene The professor is concerned. What's going on in here? Corey says nothing, and Sean unconvincingly states, we didn't break this stuff. Phoene asks, well, who did? And Corey shouts you did, and both boys run out of the room and lock the door. Feeney yells and pounds on the door, but the boys are gone, and then we're back in the apartment. Rachel's in a tight black dress spinning around the living room.
Speaker 2: Dan's night, it's night.
Speaker 4: Can't wait to go out? Come on out, Jack, I want to see how good you look. Jack awkwardly appears and gives a little wave. How you doing. Rachel gives him a confused look, okay, something's different. Jack waves it off. Yeah, and we're going out. Let's go, but Rachel stops him. Oh wait a second, you're tall. Jack shrugs it off. Yeah, so are you. Let's go. Jack starts walking toward the door, but Rachel pulls him back. No, I mean I'm looking straight ahead and suddenly you're in my field of vision. What did you do? Jack reveals I'm standing up straight. You know me, I'm a schlump. I'm a real downlooker. Well, let's go. He tries to run for the door, but Rachel stops him again. She notices something. What's on your feet? Jack calmly responds, my dancing shoes. We pulled out to show that Jack, they looks like Herman Munster shir.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The only thing missing are the bolts in his neck. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: We pull out to show that Jack is wearing shoes with a six inch lift. Rachel rolls her eyes. Ugh, I can't believe this. You bought elevator shoes. Jack quickly responds, they're not elevator shoes. The guy never called them elevator shoes. Rachel asks, oh, what did he call them? Jack answers manly.
Speaker 2: Step ups good line.
Speaker 4: Rachel realizes what's going on here. That's why you didn't want to go out with me, because you're too embarrassed to be seen with me because I'm so tall. Jack tries to act oblivious. What are you talking about? Rachel explains my whole life, I've been the tall one, the bean pole. Hey stilts, how's the weather up there? But Jack insists you're crazy. You know why I didn't want to go out with you because I thought they'd say, hey, look at the model with that shrimp. Rachel doesn't get it. What are you talking about? You've never been worried about this before when we've been out, He says, yeah, but we've only ever been out as friends. I never really thought about this until we got together, you know what. To be honest, I never thought you'd be interested in me. Rachel reveals, well, I am interested in you Jack. She looks down at his shoes, but not in those. Jack sits down to take them off. You know what, I would love to go dancing? Her eyes light up. Really, you mean in front of everybody? Jack nods yes, in front of the whole world. All right, let's dance. He takes Rachel's hand and they walk right out the door and into the elevator, where an old lady is waiting. As they walk in, she screams, she's too tall for you. Jack stares at the woman, embarrassed as the elevator doors close.
Speaker 1: And that when they were standing next to each other in the elevator, she looks like she's three feet taller.
Speaker 3: Than he is.
Speaker 1: So they had to have leaning back and put her in something. And I mean they're they're definitely trying to play it up because there he's not five seven there and she's not five ten there.
Speaker 4: Just no way, no way. So yeah, so funny. Well, we're back in the science storage lab. Phoene is holding the brain in his hand the third time.
Speaker 2: Third time back in the lab. Get back in the lab. People back in the lab.
Speaker 4: Phoene is holding the brain in his hand, trying to wipe it clean. Just as Dean Bolander walks into the room. She's followed by Sean and Corey, and then Tapanga and Angela are there as well. Dean Bolander yells George and mister Fie. He insists he didn't do this. The Dean admits, I didn't believe them. When they told me. But it's hard to argue with something that's right in front of your face. Corey adds, yeah, we're just as shocked as you are. Dean Phoene begins to panic. Now look, this is insane. Sean yells at him to put the brain down. Dean Bolander asks, what in Heaven's name were you thinking when you did this. Phenie insists I didn't do it. They did, and he points to Sean and Corey the boy's gasp. Corey is shocked. Pearls, mister Feenie, we are insulted. Sean and I have been upstairs selling muffins for the underprivileged. Phoene says that's not true. The boys were down here with him. He points at to Panga. You wouldn't lie for him. Where was he to? Panga recites he's been selling muffins all day. Angela robotically joins in, so was Sean. Sean is proud. We're legitimate. Now, Dean Bolander asks, why did you do this? George Eric, who we learn is also in the room and must have snuck in with the girls.
Speaker 1: Shuls If from No, It's it's like like when Shin gave us that card, and all of a sudden, I was holding a queen just there.
Speaker 2: Eric, is it from nowhere? Yep?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know something, Dean, this was simply just an act of love culminating in an act of vandalism. It actually happens all the time. Dean Bolander wants to know an act of love? Was this an act of love? George Peeney looks around and sees Sean Corey nodding their heads. He reluctantly admits yeah, and then nods his head with more confidence. Yep. I wonder if Stewart had just said it was an act of love, if Dean Bolander.
Speaker 2: Exactly yeah, you'd never know.
Speaker 4: I mean this idea that the dean of the school.
Speaker 2: You you went in and destroyed all these priceless artifacts for really a man's career for me, and destroyed this invention.
Speaker 4: For the next so hot it makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Not I like it is Adam Jensen got you did he.
Speaker 3: Just go.
Speaker 2: He got arrested for felonies vandalism.
Speaker 5: I mean it is in the Corey Stewart storyline. That is Corey's argument, right, Like I hit him out of an act of love.
Speaker 4: I had to protect my my pro property.
Speaker 2: But that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That at least makes sense some guys, you know, being inappropriate with your woman punching that guy in the face, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: This makes no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 4: And then Curtis walks into the room. All right, nobody move, where's my bee? The Dan asks be? What be? And Curtis reveals my bee. It's my discovery.
Speaker 3: Corey the school and doesn't know what discovery?
Speaker 5: What you come here to lecture your great discovery?
Speaker 4: I don't know what baby? Why didn't he say what bee? Like Cory and Sean me?
Speaker 3: Anybody what bee?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Corey knows what happened and says to Sean, uh oh. Curtis feverishly searches the room. It's an African killer bee. I've been searching for it for years. Sean laughs, Curtis, you've been out of town a little too long. Those African killer bees are swarming all over the country. They're doing Philly next Tuesday. Curtis explains, this bee has a reverse by migration pattern. We made that species with the killer bees that are already here. They start migrating back to where they originated from, saving thousands of lives. I could be rich. Then again we hear the sound of a bee buzzing. Everyone freaks out and Eric yells everybody relaxed, I'll kill it and reaches.
Speaker 2: For what they throw in rich I know, because they.
Speaker 3: Wanted to be a bad guy.
Speaker 2: It's what does he do for a living?
Speaker 4: He's an archaeol archaeologist?
Speaker 3: So what is that?
Speaker 2: Hunts bees? I know, that's that's what he's after.
Speaker 4: He's after a bee with a migration adventure hunter hunt. He says, he's he's he's what's the guy who they do all the.
Speaker 1: Indian and thank you to all the batman you know.
Speaker 3: Schmidt scared of spiders and.
Speaker 2: Throws a rope around.
Speaker 4: Skirt spiders. Curtis jumps up and takes the small piece out of Eric's hands. No, don't touch that bee. Dean Bolander sadly recognizes the shattered artifact. Oh, Curtis, now the statue of King Hafaratu you gave me for our anniversary. It's broken, Curtis, isn't.
Speaker 3: Why is it in this closet?
Speaker 2: Then? Why is it also hollow?
Speaker 1: And why is is he giving He's giving her ancient and.
Speaker 3: She doesn't keep it at that house?
Speaker 1: No, clool S in the Science Science Archeology room at Penbrook University.
Speaker 4: And then, because we needed to further show he's a bad guy, the hell with the statue. This stuff is nothing but junk compared to that bee. Dean Bolander gasps, this is junk, and right at that moment, the bee lands on the Dean's neck. Curtis whispers, don't move the bees on you. Dean Bolander reminds him, Oh, Curtis, you know I'm allergic to bees. Curtis couldn't care less, so you puff up for a little while. This is my Nobel prize. Phoene slams his towel on the table and yells, I don't think so, Curtis. He heroically grabs the bee, which.
Speaker 3: Was a real nest.
Speaker 1: I have a I have a quick science question. Don't bees die once they sting you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: But I know, he says for a while, so it's like he doesn't want the bee to sting her.
Speaker 4: Because then the bee is going to do That's what I thought. I was like, he should be doing everything to be like.
Speaker 2: To make sure that care of this bee. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: They needed him to be a villain to her, so you could see his true colors.
Speaker 3: He doesn't actually.
Speaker 4: Want her, does and really care about her?
Speaker 1: Do you think you just when you have to make bees, you just put on like put him in a little room together and then put on like some Marvin Gay and you just see what happened.
Speaker 4: And really try like that. Yeah, exactly, You've never never thought about.
Speaker 5: They butt waggle to communicate to one another. A bee can waggle its butt and other bees will know how far the source of pollen is and where which direction it is just by the way they waggle their butts.
Speaker 3: It's a whole like yeah, really cool.
Speaker 1: Thank I just talked with the bees in my house, which I assigned a treaty with the bees. So if the bees this is years ago, Susan knows about it. She's a bee.
Speaker 2: No no, no, this is outside. With the number of bees. If any of them go in the pool and are dying, we have to save them, and then the pact is then they don't sting any of us, so nobody gets stung around the house and we save the bees. It's been a pack that's been We're twenty five years into this pact right now. So it's been been holding Well.
Speaker 4: It's nobody's been stung at your house.
Speaker 2: Nobody's been stung.
Speaker 1: We save bees every day, so we we've got with a very symbiotic relationship.
Speaker 5: But it's I've not had children running around your house because that's when gets stung. Oh really, Oh yeah, it's always it's always the kids who are like, like.
Speaker 3: That's not going to calm the bee down.
Speaker 4: That's how it's like splashing the bee. I'm like, you're just making the bee angry. Just let the bee.
Speaker 2: Are you afraid of bees too? Or is it just spiders?
Speaker 4: No, No, just spiders.
Speaker 1: A bee that can actually sting you, that doesn't bother you at all. It's flying with a little hypodermic needle and that doesn't freak you out. But despite a tiny spider in front of you, and you grip my arm until there's blood that appears.
Speaker 4: Where were we recently when that happened again?
Speaker 1: The car somewhere the airport and you grabbed onto me like we were about to be in.
Speaker 4: A spider dropping down from the roof, the smallest little spice, the size of a piece of dust, And I said, why does this always happen to me freaking out. He Win says, oh the bee stings, mister Feeney. He wins is out O. Then he hands the bee to Curtis. I think this belongs to you. I'll return the stinger as soon as it works its way out of my flesh. Curtis pleads with the insect. No, no, no, no, don't die, don't die quick? Where's the zoology department? All the students point in different directions, and Curtis runs out with the ailing bee in his hands. Eric exclaims, ha, that guy's a dope man. Dean Bolander grabs Phoene's hands in hers. George, that's the most wonderful thing anyone's ever done for me. Phoene promises, I wouldn't let anything harm you. Lila. I hope you know. I hope you feel the same way about me. She asks, what took you so long? Eric, from the side advises his teacher kiss her Pheoene. Phoene says all right and grabs Dean Bolander and kisses her. All the students and the audience members start clapping and cheering.
Speaker 2: Whoo.
Speaker 4: Corey explains to Sean, now this is a beautiful moment. Sean adds, what's even more beautiful. It's the first time we've ever gotten away with anything in our lives. They give each other five and we optical.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 4: We're back in the student union. Sean and Corey are in orange jumpsuits scrubbing the windows. Corey says we've watched seven hundred and thirty four windows so far, and Sean asks, how did this blow up in our face? Corey says he doesn't know we had Phoene scammed. Sean admits, yeah, Pheene was nothing but a chick is tough. Dean Bolander and Feenie are sitting at a nearby cafe table. The Dean reaches for Phoene's hand and he winces. Dean Bolander asks, oh, does it still hurt? Phoene says a little. She asks you want me to Phoene cuts her off. Oh please, Then Dean Bolander kisses his hand and smiles. Phoene admits all better. He tells her he wants to thank her again for going easy on the boys, and Dean Bolander responds, Oh, George, one of the reasons I was attracted to you was because I've never seen a teacher whose students were willing to go to such lengths to see him happy. Phoene asks, you never actually thought I was the perpetrator. Dean Bolander assures him, Oh, I have no doubt that you're capable of acting with reckless abandon. Phoene smiles, Oh I am. I am. Eric, also in an orange jumpsuit, interrupts their date and sits down next to them. This is great, isn't it. I mean you love him, he loves you. I love you both. We're a triangle now, Dean, there's something you should know. Phenie and I like to hang out quite a bit, so I'm ever around and you guys are getting frisky. Peenie gets up and grabs Eric Eric's chair while he rambles on or whatever it is that you guys do. I'm going to need some kind of a signal to know that it's my time. This will work, he admits, as Phoeney pulls him out of his chair and drags him away.
Speaker 2: And then the girls get in trouble. They did as much as Eric did.
Speaker 3: They didn't initiate the plane. No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean Eric's standing with the two of them over there, he didn't.
Speaker 2: They were dancing correct, we went dancing.
Speaker 4: I went dancing, So the worst thing we did.
Speaker 1: Was li.
Speaker 2: But that's the same worst thing that Eric did.
Speaker 5: Eric, Eric the dolousands and thousands of lives from Yeah, prob killer problems.
Speaker 3: Sad it's gonna solve.
Speaker 4: Well, we're back in the apartment. The elevator door opens and it's Jack and Rachel returning from their date. Jack admits, I don't know what I was thinking. We are perfect for each other. Another old lady neighbor watches as they walk to their apartment. Rachel greets her, Hi, Missus burtleson. Then the lady burts out, she's too tall for you. As she enters the elevator. Jack tries to run after her, but Rachel stops him. Jack, you said you were gonna You said you weren't gonna let this bother you. Okay. Jack dusts himself off and agrees it's no problem. I'm okay. Then Jack yells at the closed elevator, I hope the cable breaks. Missus birtles and Rachel.
Speaker 2: That was really funny in this.
Speaker 1: He didn't have a lot to do, but he's really funny. He's also one of those guys who his physical comedy he does. It comes from an awkward place. When he does his physical comedy. I can think he does it on purpose, and it works.
Speaker 4: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: It actually works for him. He's really good at it.
Speaker 4: Rachel ushers him back inside the apartment. Jack, why don't we go inside and make us snugly? Jack agrees, Yeah, I'm not too short for that. Rachel smirks.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: When they open the apartment door they see someone wearing a ski mask stealing their boombox. Jack grabs a back, Hey cow, many closer and all club yeah. Jack lifts up the perpetrator's ski mask like you do, like you do, And it's another short, old lady. Who is this landlord?
Speaker 2: It's just hot chicks and old women. Welcome to our building.
Speaker 5: This is a.
Speaker 4: And some college kids.
Speaker 2: And some college kids. That's all we have.
Speaker 1: There's this apartment is for the thirty seven beautiful women, and then every other apartment is just old ladies.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: Well, the old lady burglar predictably says she's too tall for you and walks out with the electronic. Rachel pats Jack on the head while he just stands there in shock. There's your program there's your programs.
Speaker 3: Done without the without the tag I think.
Speaker 1: But that's the part you could have done with is just without the tags a good episode.
Speaker 5: I started this recap much more positive than Somehow, in the course of listening to recap everything, I hated all of it.
Speaker 4: So I did not like it as much in the recap I did watching it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like, what's the version of breaks in a Burglar Old Lady? We have stun the burglar old Lady.
Speaker 4: It's like a lot of like, don't ask any questions at all.
Speaker 3: But you know, I did enjoy it watching it last year's so you know.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons why though, and it's true, is because these last couple of episodes have been so dramatic and heavy. I know that the guys just holding a broken brain. Great, let's throw a pie.
Speaker 5: I also just think the performances, you know, are actually fun, Like it's actually like everybody's except for me and Ben in that scene, I feel like it's breezy, it's fun, and everybody keeps it moving, so you don't really notice, like you.
Speaker 3: Don't actually stop to think, why are the bees? Why the thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you break it down actually, beat by beat. It's it's not as funny as letting it wash over you.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yeah, Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 2: Here we come, buying us some merch.
Speaker 3: I don't have any more.
Speaker 2: Lyrics, but it's supposed to be like the Monkeys.
Speaker 3: Oh god, the reference here?
Speaker 2: No, here he come walking down the street to the theme song of the Monkeys.
Speaker 3: No, have you ever seen the monkey?
Speaker 4: Monkeys?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Do you think writers ever seen the monkey? Have you ever met this? I didn't even have a teav growing up.
Speaker 1: Good It's the Monkeys is a great show because it does not take itself seriously. It's ridiculous. It's campy. It's the sixties and the seventies.
Speaker 4: My mom had a huge crush on Peter Torque because she was the baby of the family and he and then he was my father on the show, and my mom was like, Peter Tork, I need to get a picture with Peter Trk And my mom didn't get a picture with anybody.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta be honest when you think about it. The way your dad looked, especially back in the day during during boy kind of Peter Turkish.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, long, forty blonde hair, a little turkey turkey.
Speaker 2: Your mom has a tight your mom has a tork?
Speaker 3: What your mom does?
Speaker 4: My dad, as a teenager looked very much like a young Matt Damon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah cool?
Speaker 4: Interesting anyway, UH will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Pod Mets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Parp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at podmes Worldshow at gmail dot com.