Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a brid Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg Egg, Frida Egg Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the hump. Welcome to the Frida Egg Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, and today we're talking about what happens when The New Yorker magazine does a deep dive on live golf. My guest today is Zach Helfand, who's a writer and editor at The New Yorker and for the past few months he's been reporting a big feature story on the conflict between the Sadi backed live circuit and the PGA Tour. That piece will appear in the next edition of the magazine and was published online earlier this week under the catchy title will the Saudi's and Donald Trump Save Golf or reckon? Now? Since it's part of my job to follow golf news, I didn't really expect to learn anything new from this article, but I actually did. Zach does some really fresh reporting here, even getting a sit down interview with Majed Alsor, who doesn't do much media and is one of liv's most important decision makers. So I thought it would be good to bring Zach on the podcast and talk about why The New Yorker got interested in live and what he, as a relative outsider to golf media, made of it.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: To keep up with the Frida Egg, including our commentary on the Battle for professional Golf, you can subscribe to our newsletter at the fridagg dot com. So, Zach, you are the editor of the New Yorkers Talk of the Town section, right, Is that kind of what you're mainly doing at the magazine right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I'm one of the editors. So it's me, me and my boss, Susan. That's my day job.
Speaker 2: I ed to Talk in the Town and it's the it's the section of short pieces that appears toward the front of the magazine. I think people who've seen The New Yorker will be familiar with it. Often very charming, sometimes a little hard to figure out, and that's that's part of the mystery and a lure of them. So you are not a golf reporter. I just want to make that very clear. That's not your full time job. But you became a golf reporter to do this article. But my understanding is that you have a background in sports reporting, so maybe you could tell me about that. What did you what did you write about previously?
Speaker 1: I have been a temporary golf reporter on a few occasions. I'm definitely not a full time golf reporter, and I think that it was to my advantage. You get kind of the aliens view of the world that I think people seem to have enjoyed. My first job was at the La Times. I was a sports reporter there, mainly USC and UCLA football basketball, a little bit of Dodgers and a little bit of this and that here and there. Before I was in LA when I was, you know, interning at various newspapers, I covered a couple golf tournaments here and there. So I did one FedEx Cup event in New Jersey, which I think might be the only golf tournament ever interrupted by an earthquake and a tornado. There was a mini earthquake which interrupted I think Jim Pureck's press conference and that's why I remember that. And then I did a US Open at Marion when I was an intern of the Philly inquirer, and that was my only golf experience other than playing once or twice a year myself, and that that's it.
Speaker 2: So the justin rose us open is what you covered when you were at the Philly Enchoir exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was mainly the gopher, just getting quotes and running them back to the actual reporters.
Speaker 2: Well, so I wanted to establish that because you know, although you have covered some golf tournaments, although you certainly know enough to have reported this story, you do come into it as something of an outsider, which, as you alluded to, can be really really useful with a subject like this that golf reporters live every single day and kind of may end up taking a too narrow a view of and so it's really useful to come in from the outside. Did did you find that as you were starting to report this story? Did you see that as kind of a strength from the get go?
Speaker 1: I think it helped me in two ways, the first being this fresh view of it. There are things that if you're a golf reporter there just covering the beat, you probably get numb too. There are things that amused me, things that people would say. Just one of the things is just kind of the self regard that golfers have. It's you know, they kind of I think, you make a lot of money and they give money to charity, and you think, all of a sudden, you're like this great pillar of the community, and all you do is just hit a golf ball, and they repeat it so much that I think, if you're there every day, it just just becomes numb. But those one of the things that's like out to me. It's just kind of the self regard. And I think it was that that the fresh view helped. Also. The second thing is I I came away. I wanted to be fair. I wanted to, you know, take the merits of examine the merits of both sides, but I also wanted to be to examine the the ways in which both sides are being ridiculous. Uh, And when I needed to criticize. It's easier to criticize when you then don't have to cover the beat every day and you have to, you know, try to get information from people the next day, Hey can you you know what's going on with this story, and they don't want to tell you because maybe they didn't like the thing you wrote. So you feel like you could really be free to to let it rip.
Speaker 2: So in other words, you're you're not as worried about burning sources when you're when you're just kind of dropping in and writing one feature piece.
Speaker 1: Exactly. If if if they told me, you know, you'll never write another golf story in your life, I'd say, all right, well that's that's that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, so I wanted to get an idea of what made you interested and what made The New Yorker interested in this story in particular. You know, as somebody who's in the golf world every day, I find myself a little bit amused by the interest in live. You know, I get asked about it at parties now, you know, just like people as soon as they hear that I work in golf, they're going to ask me about live. And so this story really has kind of spread its tentacles out to places that I wouldn't necessarily expect. And although The New Yorker has done some fantastic golf journalism before, especially by David Owen and others, usually The New Yorker is not doing huge pieces on golf unless it's about the Masters or something like that. So what was fascinating about this story to you, and you know what made you believe that you could find something kind of new about it in reporting?
Speaker 1: To me, it was this relatively unimportant thing. It's a relatively trivial thing. At the end of the day, it's just golf. We like it, I like I like watching and I want it to be a good product to watch. But at the end of the day, there are more important things going on in the world. So it was this relatively trivial thing that just touched on so many different, maybe more important or more extension existential problems or issues in the world. There's the geopolitics with the Saudi's, there's the identity politics, and I you know, the the culture wars that you kind of saw playing out between the tour and Live. There is the question of morality and when do you sell out and when do you not? You know, I thought that's a really interesting question. I didn't feel particularly finger waggy toward the Live guys. I kind of viewed it as I think everyone's gonna everyone's gonna have a price. And if I was offered one hundred million dollars to go work for Live tomorrow, you know, I think anyone would have to think about it. So it was this small trivial thing that it could be amusing that touched on so many different things in amusing ways. And then also, I mean the thing that drew me in was was the Michelson quote. Initially is you just don't see people given quotes like that, you know, the scary motherfuckers. You don't see quotes like that. And then the backlash people were very honest. It was it was like this excuse for everyone to kind of drop the facade or drop the walls a little bit and to just kind of say what they were feeling. And you don't see, especially in sports, you don't see that that often. And it was amusing and refreshing in a lot of ways. To me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was bizarre, is what it was. I couldn't quite believe my eyes when that article by Alan Schipnook with those quotes from Phil Nicholson came out in February. Was that the first time that you had heard about live. Those of us in in the golf world had been thinking about this since the emergence of the idea of the Premiere Golf League in early twenty twenty, and we were aware early on that the Saudis were involved in that, and so was February twenty twenty two with those Phil Nicholson quotes the first time that you really stood up and took notice of what was happening.
Speaker 1: More or less. Yeah, I think I had heard the term like Saudi Golf League or whatever they were calling it in different.
Speaker 2: Areas league SGL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, SGL. I think that had crossed like my Twitter feed or you know, i'd heard it on a sports talk radio or something like that. But hadn't it just kind of had rolled off because there's nothing to grab onto, at least for me. I didn't. It didn't didn't, you know, affect me all that much. But the Mickelson quote and that article from Shipnok was the first time that I had really not only like passively consumed it, but like actively was like, huh, what is what is this thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I think I think you're You're with a lot of people there. But then by August you find yourself at the Tour Championship, the final event of the PGA Tour season. Tell me what it was like reporting at that event. You got some really good quotes from like Roy McElroy Max Homa and so clearly you were well prepared to operate in that environment. But what did you find surprising or notable or any anything else about being at that event and observing.
Speaker 1: I have to say the tour is a very pleasant place to report. You've got the media ten, you've got food all ready for you. You know, in some cases there's like beers in the fridge, which is unusual for for covering sports and covering anything really, and then you're out on this nice golf course and people are generally friendly and they're helpful. So it was it was nice. I I you know, reporting golf is a lot of reporting baseball, and that you're kind of just standing around for hours on end, and then occasionally, you know, you're standing around with people who are practicing and also kind of standing around themselves, and then you just kind of start talking. It helped I think that, you know, being able to say you work in the New Yorker always helps people recognize it even if they don't read it, and kind of have some level of respect for it maybe or at least just think, hey, this is the thing I've heard of. So people are generally willing to talk and engage, and then it's just kind of the matter of finding smart people or funny people. Max Homa smart and funny. Rory McIlroy's a smart guy. I'm very very well researched on this on the tour Versus Live really knows this stuff very well, so the tour is easier to report live. On the other hand, there are a lot of barriers. I didn't get credentialed for my first event in Bedminster at Trump National, so they ended up giving me a ticket for free, which saved me I think three dollars because they were selling for a dollar on stuff up. So I just had a regular general ticket and walked around the grounds and it was very hard to talk to golfers. No one would really want to talk. They're all being kind of cagy, which I understood, but couldn't really get any interviews set up. And then I read the story in the Wall Street Journal that a lot of these guys, or maybe all of them, have clauses in their contract where they have to get interviews approved by the Live mothership, so to speak. So the tour was very easy. The tour was, you know, the usual kind of American sports model. It's like, you know, we're open, go go talk to who you want to talk to, and Live was very much, you know, kind of top down controlled. No.
Speaker 2: I found the same thing when I covered the Live Portland event. And we can talk a little bit more about Bedminster. I want to get there. But at the Tour Championship, what was the impression that you picked up about the nature of the conflict between PGA tour loyalists and the guys who had jumped to live.
Speaker 1: There's a variety of views, but generally I think that there's kind of two camps. The one camp that is maybe it's a mix of people who are maybe interested in live and those people and also the people who are not interested in live but understand why people are going. You talk like Billy Horschel, there's a lot, not a lot of ill will from him to a lot of live golfers, and they understand, you know, you want to go get money, that's that's fine. I would rather stay here, but you know, that's an understandable choice. And then there's the people who who feel and I think that there's it's they will never say this, but it's a mix of people who are maybe jealous or a mix of people who maybe feel spurned or wanted the deal or still chasing a deal and having a tough time, who are more of the hardliners who are really kind of pissed off about this. So I think there's there's there's kind of those two camps. The one people who are like, you know, I don't like the way a lot of people have gone about it. I don't like you suing us even there's the other people who are like, these people are horrible and uh and I hate them.
Speaker 2: What's the sense that you picked up from Roy McElroy about where he is in relation to those two groups.
Speaker 1: Rory is interesting. He plays it kind of close to the vest. Maybe he's a little bit of a I would say he's more of the first group, where I think he understands the motivations of a lot of these people, and I think that he really resents the fact that this is affecting his tour, which he really likes. I found, and it's it's hard to tell, but I found that he was one of the people who and probably he would I think you would admit this, probably because he has a lot of money to begin with, and he has a lot of sponsorships, and he's spending a lot of money on the tour. He is less motivated by money than I think a lot of people. And I think he really does genuinely love the tour and this is what he dreamed of, and he wants to protect the thing that he dreamed of. And there are a few people like that. A lot of people are just motivated simp by the money or by resentment. But so I think he resents in a way that they're messing up his tour. But I don't think that he really hates a lot of the people that went. But one of the things that he told me this didn't make it in the THEECE is we're talking about how this thing might end, and he was like, there has to be some sort of punishment to people who come back, otherwise, you know, if live folds or some people want to defect back. He feels like everyone could have just gone. He could have just gone and got it in, you know, one hundred something million dollars and then come back with no punishment. He still feels like, you know, there's got to be some sort of you know, penance paid by these golf guys. So I think there's a little bit of a mix like it's it's it's it's personal for him, even if I think he understands on an intellectual level that you know, these guys are allowed to go get money and that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rory is such a fascinating figure in all this because he obviously is very smart and I think he's thinking of all of this pretty strategically. But but he has a lot of power, right He He's almost sort of like a shadow commissioner in a way because if he, if he wants something, then Jay Monahan, the PGA Tourist commissioner, is not really in that strong of a position to say no to him. And so, you know, getting getting Roy's take on things is always really interesting and important. So you went to Trump Bedminster, so you were not credentialed at this event. The New Yorker sent in a credential application and was rejected by by liv Golf. Do I have that? Do I have that right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And I have.
Speaker 1: I've never been rejected in a credential application for a sporting event. Ever, I don't think that's crazy. The one tournament, the FedEx Cup tournament I covered in New Jersey was at Plainfield Country Club and I was an intern at the Trentonian, which is like a small, very small tabloids. That's my freshman year of college, very small tablet in New Jersey. And the PJ was like, yeah, sure come, it's been all week there, so it was unusual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's that is really interesting to me. I think we we sent in a credential application for the Frida Egg and got approved maybe thirty minutes later. I'm not sure there's necessarily a rhyme or reason to who they're letting in and who they're trying to keep out. So you were just there. They ended up giving you a free ticket. You were just there essentially as a fan. I'm not sure that fans that reporters at live events have meaningfully more access to players than fans do in the end. But what was your experience like at Bedminster?
Speaker 1: It was It was bizarre. It was a weird experience. I would describe it as kind of like a MAGA rally with some golf mixed in. That was the crowd. I talked to one woman who said I wouldn't be able to tell my friends and clients that I was here. She lived in Florida, so she had a mix of Republican and Democrat friends. She said, I won't be able to tell friends and clients at all here or else. A lot of my clients would not talk to me ever again because it was it was basically a Trump rally. There was also a mix of like kind of curious bro types. The way I described this to friends is the guys that kind of you know, they wear there the like the flat brim HAPs like kind of on a tilt, like on their forehead and kind of like rest on top of their forehead. I kind of connected to to the lax bros that I grew up with. I grew up not far away, so I kind of understood the archetype, and that was not I was myself was not too far off from the archetype at some points in my life. But it was like, you know, it was I think it was like the curious bro types and then like the hardcore maga people. There were a lot of jokes about Hillary, a lot of jokes about Biden, a lot of let's go Brandon chance, and then Trump himself gave a speech. He as the players were coming through the sixteen tee box, which is this par three right by the clubhouse. He just got a microphone and started giving a little speech and then had a guy saying God bless America as the golfers were like continuing to play. So it was it was almost like people forgot that there was golf going on, and people just kind of flocked to this area where Trump was with Tucker Carlson and with Marjorie Taylor Green and that whole cast of characters. People just flock to just go see them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean so beyond the absurdity of this scene. And it is completely absurd to think that a golf event could take on the you know, character of a political rally, But that is what happened here. This indicates something I think about the way that the Live versus PGA Tour conflict has become absorbed into the larger culture wars, right, And I've been trying to figure this out because it doesn't map on perfectly. You know, the PGA Tour is not woke, as much as people want to portray it as that in opposition to Live Golf's sort of resistance, but there is something like that there there is something political about this conflict, and I was wondering if you ever got to a point where you could explain that to yourself. You know, what, how does this whole thing intersect with the culture wars?
Speaker 1: I think the best way I could break it down is that the live seems to attract the a lot of people that grew up with with not as much money or resources, So people who were maybe grew up a little bit more blue collar, or people who just this is this is I think where the culture politics comes into it. There's some people who grew up with, you know, plenty of money but identify kind of with like the white working class in some ways. And the people who more strongly associated I think with those groups also tended to be more Trump Republicans rather the mainline Republicans. They tended to go to live. Now. That's that's the golfers, and I also think that's that's the view. I think the kind of the distrust of elites is is how I would classify the like main appeal. If you know, if you distrust the elites, the PGA tour is like represents the elites in a lot of ways. And the people I met, even the fans who kind of had that suspicion or presentment toward the elites flocked toward live more. Not that there are a ton of live fans, but you'd meet people who were pro live these tournaments, and the PGA is more for like the Mitt Romney kind of mainline Republicans. There are not a lot of Democrats. I'm kind of leaving them out of this conversation. There are not a lot of Democrats on the tour, and I think there's some people that view it and you know, those people have are a little bit more principled and and think that somethings are more important than money. There's other people that say they grew up wealthier and so have the privilege and have the wherewithal of be able to say, oh, I don't need this money. I could stick with my principals as I have plenty of money already. So I think that's kind of how it broke down. Elizabeth Nelson, who's a golf rider. Sure it's for the ringer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the paranoid style on Twitter. Yeah, Indie rocker.
Speaker 1: She's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, multi talented.
Speaker 1: Rocker, rock critic. She has a day job. Also, I don't know how she has the time. But the way she broke it down was that it Live kind of embodies trump Ism in a lot of ways in the way they kind of step over boundaries and things like that. And the PGA tour kind of fashions itself or maybe thinks of itself as like Abraham Lincoln. But the way she put it is the PGA Tour is more like Mitch McConnell. That you know, we're fine with the lead of elitist, destructive behavior as long as we're able to do it, but the minute it starts being bad for business is the minute we say, whoahoa wo, we don't we don't love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I want to make clear that that what you're laying out here is a very general map. I don't think your article implies that every person who goes to a live event is a is a MAGA Republican, or that all of this is, you know, perfectly predictive of a person's affiliation. But there's an undeniable tenor to how Live puts itself out in the world that you know, obviously Donald Trump himself has found it appealing. And you know, one question that's often been on my mind, aside from again the absurdity and the ridiculousness of this whole thing is that I wonder what this how this will play out as a strategic choice for Live, if associating itself with Trump and Marjorie Taylor Green and Tucker Carlson at this particular event, but also for other events and kind of in general, whether that's going to be a good strategic choice for Live or whether you think maybe Live has kind of painted itself into a corner here.
Speaker 1: This is one of the things that Rory McElroy was asking me, actually was about the fans that Live was attracting and kind of what the general vibe around it was. I think Rory thinks and a lot of people might think and reasonably that they are turning off half of their potential viewership. If half the country won't watch a product you see you associated with Trump, that puts you behind the eight ball, especially when you're already struggling to attract viewers. I think on the flip side, there's also this model that we've seen a lot in media with podcasters on the right and media figures on the right, where it's fine to turn off half the country, and in fact that's actually to your advantage because it activates the other half. Of the country, and people that might not watch golf at all might now watch you because they associate you with Trump and they like Trump. So I could see it going both ways. I do think that Live was a little bit surprised by how politicized the event was, So I don't know that this is a I don't know that it's an intentional strategy. I just got the sense that they thought it was going to be a little bit more about the golf and less about Trump than it was, which is crazy because this is what Trump does. He becomes the center of attention, and that's his main skill and talent is kind of drawing all the attention to himself. So if they were caught off guard, I think that was a miscalculation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a little naive, but yeah. I mean, I think that it's legitimately up in the air as to which direction Live is going to go next year and the years after that, whether they're going to try to strike a less controversial pose, because you know, whether that means anything for their affiliation with Trump, I don't know, but certainly when it comes to Greg Norman, who is currently the CEO of Live Golf, it seems like rumor has it that power players within Live are starting to look around for other options for leaders who might be somewhat less willing to fight in public right and somewhat more under control and disciplined than Greg Norman has traditionally been. And so I wonder whether Live is going to try to kind of smooth out its public stance a little bit and be somewhat less bellicos in the future.
Speaker 1: There's been this kind of like normanology where people are trying to figure out how the strategy has shifted or not shifted. And now he's trying to play nice, and now he's going at a little bit more at bellicos and what's the chess move? And I don't know that there is, Like it seems to just kind of like, you know, it varies day to day. If he's angry about something, he's going to be angry about something, And I don't know that there's a deeper strategy behind that, And if there is, it certainly doesn't seem to be working because it's hard to tell even what the strategy is because it shifts a lot in terms of we're trying to play nice and the PJ Tour is blackballing us, but we're still trying to engage with them, and now they're horrible and resuing them and it's you know, it seems to be kind of all over the place. I don't have any reporting on Norman's status within Live, but it wouldn't surprise me if the strategy from the Saudi executives from the outset was Norman is a polarizing figure and we need someone who's kind of not afraid to take on the establishment and also take a lot of the bullets, as Norman has done. He's been the face of this even though he is he's the CEO, but he still is answering to in particular Magi Alsa and Yaser al Rumayan, who are the two Saudi executives that are kind of this is their remit and they are certainly part of the decision making here. But you just hear like this is Norman's grand plan, when really he was just hired on his CEO. So I think if there was a strategy there, it may have been to hire someone who's a little bit more bellicose like Norman, and then as it establishes itself and as you get through the turbulent early year or two you might turn to someone who's a little bit more of a stable, more traditional CEO type.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And if there's any strategy and Live Golf, it certainly must be coming from the Saudi executives that you mentioned, rather than Greg Norman, who's not necessarily known for his calculating strategic mind. He's a man who's a little more driven by emotion. But speaking of those executives, one of the major gets in your piece was a sit down interview with Magic Alsoar, who is the CEO of the Saudi Golf Federation. So first of all, I mean a lot of listeners might not be familiar with Alsore or how powerful he is, how important he is, So could you just set up what his role is and how he's connected to other powerful people associated with.
Speaker 1: Live Okay, so to zoom all the way out. Basically, at the top of the Saudi Rabian government that the royal family is is Mohammad ben Salman, who's the Crown Prince effectively wields absolute power. His father's the king, but he is able to do most of what he wants within the country. So that's that's NBS is at the top within his circle of close advisors. Is a guy named Yaser al Rumayan, and he's the guy who runs the Saudi Wealth Fund, the Sovereign Wealth Fund, which funds LIVE. So he's the one ultimately who's you know, the buck stops. They are essentially at Rumyan in terms of of Live. He's not running all the day to day stuff because he's got a big remit. He's also the chairman of a Ramco, which I think is still the biggest company in the world. But he's he's the first big name is Yaser al Rumayan. Now he appointed or under his tenure a high school friend of his name Magid al Soorar, who's a former soccer player turned businessman. He lives in the US. He was a point of the head of the Saudi golf Federations, so he's in charge of the sport essentially within the country. That means investments in new golf courses and they're building tons of golf courses. Uh. And he also was the one who had been looking for investments like Live. So really those are the two main players. Is al soor who I talked to, and Yasser al Roumayan, who is his boss. He refers to him as the boss and those are the two main players here, so there's kind of three, you know, two degrees of separation between Soro to Ramon to n b.
Speaker 2: S got it? Okay? Now how did you end up getting to talk to Alsor? Because he he hasn't given many interviews to national media.
Speaker 1: So I was at Live's event in it's called Live Live Boston. It's really uh like an hour maybe for it was.
Speaker 2: It was Live Live Bolton, Lived.
Speaker 1: Bolton, Yeah, exactly at the International in Bolton, and I had just was hanging around all week, was at the pro am and guy announcing all the names that the pro am was this guy named Frank McNamara, just a very friendly, talkative guy, and we had just kind of been hanging around each other for a few days, Frank and I, and it was kind of a mover and shaker type, knows everyone knows how to get whatever he needs to get in any moment. He carried a clipboard around to kind of seem officials so he could just go wherever he wanted and was helping out in a volunteer capacity. I had been with him. I think this was on the second round. The morning of the second round, and there's me and a couple of people hanging around, and he said, oh, I'll be right back there. Someone I want to introduce you guys to, and he brought over Magid. And one of the first things Magic said to us is, you know, they I'm the guy that they called this scary motherfucker, kind of in the tone of like, can you believe that? Because you know, even you talk to a person, it's just a person. He's a you know, pretty nice, friendly guy when you interact with him. So he said, you know, can you believe this? They called me a scary motherfucker? And we started walking up the first the first hole together, and I introduced who I was, I said, him with the New Yorker. I said, I would have been wanting to talk to you or or or he refers to his excellency has been wanting to talk to you or his excellency for a long time, and you know, I would love to ask you about live and he he said, you know, he said, okay. We started talking and we walked a couple holes together and ended up going to one of the private suites with him and talking with him for some length or talking with him at some length. So it was we just kind of met him more impromptu, uh, and and ended up speaking for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, let me just get a sense of of how he presents himself, because it's you know, seeing pictures of him. He uh, there's a persona there, So what what would you how would you just describe that persona.
Speaker 1: Appearance wise, He's he's very fit. He's a former soccer player, and you know, got big arms and and is you know, it seems to be in good shape. He loves wearing aviators. When I met him, I think he's wearing pink pants, you know, dresses in the typical golf fashion. And he's a businessman, so he he he He's run a lot of businesses in the US and elsewhere, and he speaks kind of at that language. He kind of views himself as a businessman in the business world, and and that's how he frames a lot of his conversations.
Speaker 2: He did say a number of really memorable things to you, including that introduction where he essentially quoted Phil Mickelson but didn't attribute the scary motherfucker quote to Phil Ncholson. He goes on to tell you we don't kill gays. I'll just tell you that, and there's a great little kind of fact check of that parenthetically and in the p but this was, you know, he was very blunt with you. One of the things that he said was, if the majors decide not to have our players play, I will celebrate. I will create my own majors for my players. So when he said this, was he being like really genuine or do you think this would sort of a pose?
Speaker 1: That's an interesting question. I think I think in some ways it's posturing, you know, it's a little bit of it's a negotiating tactic in a lot of ways, I think, and this is just my opinion. I think the ideal outcome is that the Live guys are allowed to play in majors and then end up winning some majors. And I think that's what Live would and maybe should want above all. But he also was when we were speaking about this, was viewing it kind of from a businessman sense, and he was also gaming out, you know, if I were the tour and I was a commissioner, here's how I would handle the majors. Because the tour doesn't get any revenue from the majors, yet all the players are the ones that are playing in the majors, So he was kind of gaming this out from a business perspective, and the Saudi's are the Wealth Fund is they're very long term investors. So I think if had anyone else made that statement, people would have said, Okay, sure, yeah, you're going to create your own major. Now you're not. You kind of have to take with at least a little bit of seriousness the idea coming from people who associated with the Wealth Fund because they their time horizons are very long and they have enough capital too if they wanted to start to create events running opposite the majors that they're calling their own majors, and they understand that wouldn't have the same cachet, at least in the short term. But I think they think in the long term, if we get the best players, then our events aren't going to become de facto majors because we have the best players playing them.
Speaker 2: Hey, just cutting in here real quick. A couple of hours after Zach and I recorded our conversation, Golf Saudi released a statement from majidl Soor that said, in part, the story wrongfully expressed and misrepresented my views and he's talking about his views on the majors. Now, I should mention that the article doesn't represent Sora's views on the majors one way or another. It just quotes him, and Soora is not saying that he was misquoted. So it seems like this is damage control. But I thought i'd mention it because I didn't get a chance to ask Zach about it. If this statement had come out before the podcast, I certainly would have brought it up. Just wanted to put that out there, all right, that's it, absolutely. I mean, I think that one thing that people who are in the traditional golf world have a hard time doing is imagining a world five years from now or ten years from now when Live might very well have most of the best golfers in the world. And you know, right now they have a lot of really great golfers, but some of them are a bit over the hill, and they don't have some of the key players on the PGA Tour who are really in form right now. But that might not be the case in five to ten years. And so how does everything change then if Live really kind of owns most of the best male professional golfers in the world, you know, if they create their own majors and the players have to play in those, then my goodness, that that would be something pretty significant, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the possibility right now looks fairly remote. There's just not enough revenue coming in to sustain this, and the going rate for the top golfers right now is so high that I don't know that even the Saudis would want to stomach it. I think what people have to remember is that this is they're investing two billion dollars or more, and that is a huge amount of money, certainly in the context of the golf world, but this is not a major strategic enterprise for the Saudis. Generally, the people within the Saudi government who are making other financial decisions know about this, but to them it's kind of a small thing. The wealth Fund right now has more than six hundred billion dollars in assets and they're hoping to grow it into the trillions very soon. So two billion dollars is not a huge amount. And if they're going to have to pay one hundred and fifty to two hundred million dollars or more to get the top players, I just think that becomes so expensive that they might not even want to pay it. Now if they do get the top players, You're right. I think the people within the tour view this as kind of an existential battle. If you talk to Davis Love, he'll tell you that LIVE says it wants to coexist. But really, if they get the top players, then that kind of turns the tour into just a minor league feeder system that Okay, you've developed some good talent and now we're going to pay him and pick them off. So they do kind of view this as you know, this is life or death. That if LIV does get the top players, and I think they realize that the tour as as we know it kind of ceases to exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but your point that that possibility is remote, partly because Live is such a small thing in the general picture of the of Saudi Arabia's strategy in the world, is well taken. You know that Live Golf was sort of lightly formed. You know, in your article you mentioned that it's not even super clear how much this was communicated to MBS himself, though he certainly would have had to at some point engage with the idea and sign off on it. But if it was so easy to kind of form this under the umbrella of the public Investment Fund. Then surely it would also be easy just to dissolve it. And so that's that's a looming possibility here as well, and perhaps the fantasy outcome for PGA tour people. Now, I want to get to this strategic, this political question of sports washing. You've already said that you're skeptical of this. You quote a couple of very serious experts in your article, including David Schanker, the Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, and Joseph Westfall, US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia formerly both both are former positions, the ones that I mentioned, and they too are you know, think that sports washing, that term doesn't really represent what Saudi Arabia is doing here. So why don't you tell me why you're suspicious of that interpretation and what you think is really going on here.
Speaker 1: Well, so, I think if you just look at this from bigger pictures perspective, spending two billion dollars on this and you could you could buy a pretty serious advertising, traditional advertising campaign for two billion dollars. It just seems like a very roundabout way if you wanted to improve your your reputation. It seems like a roundabout way. There are more efficient ways to do it. And as a result of live people are talking more about show Kei and about even Saudi Arabia's role in nine to eleven, which they weren't talking about at all before. So I think if you were looking at as kind of a reputational game, it wouldn't it wouldn't be worth anything right now. But certainly there are more effective ways to improve one's reputation if you wanted to. But if if you talk to people who are more insidery, people who communicate with Nebs, they'll tell you that he and the royal family generally has kind of given up on trying to improve their reputation personally, that they they've realized that the West is never going to love them for a number of reasons, and they are just not so naive that they could fix their reputation in any shorter, medium term length of time. And now what I what I what what people like Shanker and others will tell you is is that the Saudis right now are are kind of in this rivalry with the Emiordes and with Dubai. Saudi Arabia is trying very rapidly to diversify their economy. They've for a long time been very reliant on oil, almost totally reliant on oil revenues, and realize that the days of relying on oil revenues are numbered. So they are very rapidly trying to diversify and modernize their economy, and they're trying to develop all these new sectors. One of the things nbs IS is very uh pays a lot of attention to is the fact that a lot of young, wealthy Saudis end up leaving the country if they want to go on vacation, if they want to get medical care, if they want certain jobs. Western tourists when they come to the Middle East, or Western businessmen when they come to the Middle East they go to places like Dubai. They don't come to Saudi Arabia. So they're trying to develop Saudi business and they're trying to develop Saudi tourism. And one of the big groups of people that they want to attract is wealthy Westerners. And one thing that they know appeals to wealthy Westerners is golf. So it's kind of you know, there's the question of what is sports watching and what's not but I don't view this as a reputation laundering game for MBS. I view this as kind of like an advertising marketing vehicle for Saudi Arabia to say, hey, you don't think of us as a golf destination because we're mostly desert, we're very weater, scarce, and there's traditionally not a lot to do in the country. But actually we're pumping a lot of money into the golf sector and people start associating Saudi Arabia with golf, and that, I think, from a strategic aim is what Saudi Arabia is after is they're trying to position themselves as a place to do business, to visit, and this serves to reinforce that point. I also think and a lot of people discount this. I also think that they do view this as a legitimate business. I think they wouldn't be spending two billion dollars if they didn't think that they could make some sort of money. And their time horizons are a lot longer than most, so they are okay with losing money in the short term. But I do think that they believe that they can turn this into a legitimate business. They think they could sell off these franchises for hundreds of billion, hundreds of millions of dollars or maybe even a billion dollars each for their twelve franchises, and that's how they're going to recoup their money. If you talk to people were involved in the Premier Golf League deals and talks, they are highly skeptical of this. They just think the Saudis are spending way too much money and more money, and they don't have enough money coming in to recoup their investment. But I do think that it shouldn't be discounted that the Saudis you believe that they can turn this into a profitable business.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that's a delusional position?
Speaker 1: I I think most people that I've talked to think so. Yeah. The people who really know the business side of this just don't think it's possible. Now, people are hesitant to completely write off the idea because sports franchises tend to be very lucrative and they go up in value, and they appeal to people who have a lot of money to spend and maybe want to hang around some golfers. So there might be people willing to shell out money for these franchises. But right now, you know, sports franchises are lucrative because they have lots of money and TV deals. The NFL attracts so many people and they have so much TV revenue, and that's really the reason why NFL franchises are worth so much. There are on YouTube, like you know, not many thousands of people watching these live golf events right now. So if something needs to change drastically, I think in terms of the revenue they're bringing in to actually become a viable business, and I think that's unlikely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's what I've heard from a lot of people as well. But on the other hand, I don't think I'm smart enough or knowledgeable enough about international business in order to say for sure whether these franchises are never going to be worth what the Saudis think they're going to be worth. Because you know, just imagine like there's a eventually, maybe a Team Japan or a Team South Korea that's backed by some massive business in one of those countries that could potentially be very valuable. But there do seem to be quite a few smart people who are skeptical, skeptical that that could ever come about. But I want to return for a moment to the sportswa washing question, because what you described about the Saudi rivalry with the UAE and the intention to turn Saudi Arabia into a destination, including a golf destination for wealthy Westerners, that for me, aligns with what I've always understood sportswashing partially to be. And you know, maybe this ultimately boils down to an uninteresting issue of semantics. What do we call sports washing and what do we not call sports washing? But I think that trying to portray a nation to the world in a different way is a kind of marketing tactic and does involve some sort of reputation laundering, even if that marketing isn't necessarily targeted at everyone, It's targeted towards someone, in this case, toward wealthy Westerners who are interested in golf and might be, you know, willing to see Saudi Arabia as a place that they could potentially go and spend money. I think of that as being sort of what most people have described sportswa washing to be. To me, where do you do you see an important distinction between what, say, you know, Joseph Westfall was describing as sports washing, and he sort of rejected the idea. I think that idea is ridiculous what he thinks of as sportswa washing. Do you think there's an important distin distinction between that and this kind of you know, marketing tactic to turn Saudi Arabia into a golf destination.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting question, and I made the point in the piece that you could view this as Joseph Westfall does and a lot of other Saudi watchers that I talked to, that the idea that this is sports watching is ridiculous. You could view it that way. If you view this, you know, this sportswa washing aim to be to launder the reputation of NBS and the royal family specifically. I think another way that you could look at this is this is sportswashing of a more familiar type. That you are taking something or some people with a reputation that is one thing, and you are using this sport of golf to turn it into something else. I think that there is a fine you know there there are kind of a spectrum of this, and one end there's just you know, regular marketing, and one end there's you know, the sportswashing is just for laundering the reputation of a despot or a leader of a country or whatever it might be. But I think you could make the case that golf generally and the Tour has engaged in things like this. There are a lot of golfers that are unseemly or do unseemly things, even kind of the icons that that everyone worships, like Jack Nicholas has dodgy parts of his past, He's made some racist statements, and yet the Tour has been very good at using the game of golf and its association with things like character and integrity and charity to turn these men who are imperfect and just human. You know. It's I don't think that they're any worse than than you or I or anyone else, but turning them from flawed humans into these like paragons of character and integrity and like the gentleman that everyone should aspire to and and and because of that, making them ideal vessels to sell, like role X's and things like that. So I think that you could you could make the case that a lot lots of things are sportswashing, and that maybe a lot of you know, what golf does from the business side is been sportswa washing all along. I do think that there is is a it's it's maybe a subtle distinction, but an important distinction between laundering say NBS's reputation and MBS. You could point to a lot of actions of his that are really horrible and laundering the reputation of even a country that he runs, because that is, you know, it is going to have a pause of effect on a lot of people if if you know, there is a thriving economy and lots of opportunities for men and women. I think that there's an important dissinction to be made there. And also I think that laundering the reputation of just one person kind of strikes a lot of people. It's just like this is a vanity project that's pointless, you know, it's it's just for this person's ego, Whereas you know, kind of a broader economic thing can have positive effects on a broader set of people.
Speaker 2: And there's an argument that some pro live people make that live could be part of a project that sees Saudi Arabia quote unquote modernize or to kind of root out some of the destructive, destructive practices that many Westerners abhorror now I want to be careful in my language here, because you know, talking about this can sometimes feel like it verges on Islamophobia, right where where we're demasizing a certain people and and and saying that, you know, the way that these people can redeem themselves is to become more like us. That there's something icky about that, but it is a line that many people have used to support what Live is doing, including Graham McDowell, who made a comment of this sort in London. And so what do you make of that argument that this, you know, could be something that does a service to Saudi Arabia and to the rest of the world. Is that as much bullshit as the gentleman narrative on the PGA tour is.
Speaker 1: I I was, first of all, just you know, amused by how poorly, uh, this idea was presented by a lot of golfers, like like Graham McDowell Bath he was.
Speaker 2: He was not ready for it. He was not prepared for that at all.
Speaker 1: Which is amazing because you have you have to anticipate that these are the questions you're going to get. Uh. Someone was asked about if they would play for Vladimir Putin and they just wouldn't answer it. You could just say no, it's never going to become a real choice, you know, you could just say no. And and Graham McDowell, who could talk about in one breath the murder of a journalist and the brutal murder of a journalist and then say, but you know, if the Saudis want to use golf and help them to improve themselves, great, I'm happy to be proud to do that. I was just kind of a gast and and amused in a way by the the just how poorly they answered some of these questions. I think a small scale, you could you could make the argument that golf has been good for regular Saudis. They have women who who who play at the Saudi stops on the tour, on their tour talk about it really positively. They're treated very well. They're they're trying to get Saudi women into the game. But I think on a grander scale, whether or not live golf existed ever or you know, or didn't, it's not going to make that big of a difference on the lives of any everyday Saudis. It's it's really I think it's this is kind of a symptom of the general kind of self importance that a lot of golfers seem to have imbibed, or as most throughout the years, it's it's just golf, you know. It's it's really not going to make that big of a difference. And I think it's okay to say, you know, your interest in this is because they're paying you a lot of money, and that's understandable. People work for money, and I think people would would identify with that a little bit more and saying, you know, we're doing this to change the world because it's golf. It's it's really not going to change the world, all right.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good place to wrap up. Zach. Your piece again online is called will the Saudi's and Donald Trump Save Golf or Wreck It? It's on the New dot com right now, and am I right that it's coming out in the print magazine next in next week's issue.
Speaker 1: It's this week, so if you subscribe, it may have reached you already, and it's a newsstands now this week.
Speaker 2: This episode of the Frida Egg Podcast was edited by Meg Atkins. If you'd like to support the Frida Egg, check out our online store at proshop dot Thefridagg dot com. We have all sorts of cool stuff in there right now, including headwear and layers for the fall season, and a print shop with beautiful photography of Ballymeal bandon Trails, Belvidere and many other courses with names that do not start with B again. You can find all of that in more at proshop dot Thefridagg dot com. Thanks for listening and we'll be back next week.