Speaker 1: Switch to high.
Speaker 2: Understanding, jem to center field and it's gone, Wow, his first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam, the home line swing.
Speaker 3: Good time to look him to them.
Speaker 1: So welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars in Major League Baseball. You got arm Late and Elijah Evans, we got a heat sheet.
Speaker 3: I'm coming to.
Speaker 1: You live from Dyersville, Iowa. So this has been pretty cool. We'll talk briefly off the top about the Field of Dreams game, the minor league portion that we had on Tuesday. It was really cool, my first live look at like Owen a Ers, but we also got to see Walker Jenkins, Manuel Rodriguez several other parts.
Speaker 3: But it was kind of the lesser.
Speaker 1: Named I feel like I feel mean saying that, but the not top one hundred prospects that kind of stole the show. Also, of course, this is a heat sheet, so we're gonna be talking about a lot of the minor leaguers that are performing right now. A bunch of names as always, some new ones, some that we've talked a little bit about, and everything in between. Elijah, this this event, I'm excited tomorrow as we're recording.
Speaker 3: This is Wednesday night, sixth Central, seven Eastern.
Speaker 1: As we're recording this, I'm getting I'm excited for tomorrow's game the big league side, but the minor league game was like the perfect appetizer.
Speaker 3: I thought that.
Speaker 1: I thought they did an amazing job, Like the production of it all was amazing. Two fun teams as well, also, like you got big league arms, you've got Kendriy Rojas opposite of Jordan Wick, so like that made it fun as well. And again my first look at like Owen Air is catching a healthy Emmanuel Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: I'll talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: He still looks kind of out of whack, but Walker Jenkins looked great, and it was just an unbelievable experience.
Speaker 3: I can't wait for tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure the actual atmosphere there must be pretty crazy. I'm sure you're enjoying just like like did you just walk around and like I just want to see it, like it's so cool to imagine.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try so I try to do like the like hold the phone, like just I want to take everybody there. So we're gonna do like a social video after Thursday's game, just to kind of show everybody because when you enter the ballpark, like you go through a cornfield where the old TV set was, and then you go into you know, the ballpark area, so like that's super cool, and then you gotta go back through the cornfield to exit.
Speaker 3: There's all these different little quirks.
Speaker 1: I think they did an incredible job of just making it feel like you are at the Field of Dreams, but also still having it be like a stadium that's not made out of like wooden planks and you know, just hammered nails, so like it's it's it's nice, but it's also he still preserves kind of that feeling. And I've obviously never been out here. And then took the opportunity today to go to Cedar Rapid Sawu's paying Ya, saw a few other guys, got se Edward, Eduardo tay get some good swings off. I wish Van Lackey was up here. Unfortunately still still in low A, but that was fun as well. And then yeah, geared up for Thursday, but really cool experience. I definitely encourage everybody to watch on Thursday, even though it's a regular season game on Netflix.
Speaker 3: But like it's a very very cool atmosphere and.
Speaker 1: Definitely something it was impossible getting here, but I'm glad I did so it was it was cool. But I'm also very pumped to do the heat sheet because again a bunch of different names that we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before we get into the heat sheet, I you got to ask you about a couple guys you mentioned it off the top here, but one I wanted to particularly ask someone that has been on our heat sheet a lot last year was Jackson Wiggins, who was coming out of the pen in that game you saw too, which is interesting because I'm very curious that seems like a guy where it's like throw him in Chicago, let him let it rip out of the pen. If he's doing what he if you hopefully get a couple more starts at the then see how it looks.
Speaker 5: Maybe, but that'd be fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that was the first time this year that Jackson Wiggins has come out of the pen and only the second time as a pro. And so I thought that was interesting, and I thought that might be, you know, indicative of something that the Cubs may have kind of up their sleeve, or at least just to see what can happen since he's come back from injury, he just really hasn't been able to throw strikes at the same clip, and so they I don't know if they're completely shutting the door on him as a starter, but like I think, I think for now, it's like, hey, you got a late start this year. You never got to really get your feet back under You've only thrown thirty innings this season.
Speaker 3: And we want you to potentially help us at the big league level.
Speaker 1: Like he's just he's kind of spraying the ball a little bit, and I think he kind of needs the off season to fully reset after the time he missed to start this year. So I think just for that reason, it makes sense to throw them in the pen. See if he can throw enough strikes in a single inning spurred and who knows. I mean with that fastball was ninety eight with life, he was spraying the breaking ball a little bit. But at the end of the day, like, I think this is a guy that could help them if he can snap into it and throw some more strikes.
Speaker 3: So it was it was like it was impressive.
Speaker 1: Seeing the fastball life, but then you also still kind of saw the scattering of pitches you know, the change up is the one that he's still think he has the best feel for. So if he goes fastball change up out of the pen, he could still be a weapon, you know, for the Cubs out of the bullpen, because again, fastball in the upper nineties with the life that it has shape wise is going to be a great pitch. But I am really interested. I think this is a sign of maybe what they're going to do the rest of the season with Wiggins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the interesting to.
Speaker 4: See part of me was like, oh, maybe it's just because it's a field of dreams game you want to get him.
Speaker 3: In that it's also possible.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 4: It does just like make sense though, to look at for the Cubs to consider one or two of those bullpen spots being rounded out by some fireball you know, fire broke flowers in the in the minors.
Speaker 5: Right, I could see it. I think it makes sense.
Speaker 4: The other guy I wanted to just pin you on as Walker Jenkins, just how he looked in it, because I know the injuries right have held him back a little from like really ascending, But overall has not been a bad season at all for Jenkins, right, He's had a good year. What did you think of him plate on the in center field too. I'm sure that's a unique thing to be playing me outfield there in the cornfields too.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's moving really well. He looks healthy, and I mean most of the the bats were left on left and I thought like he only had like one single that he kind of fought off, but he also put a really good swing on the ball backside gap. Like what what stands out to me about Jenkins, and you can see this through the takes too, is like he's a guy that's I think gonna be able to hit left on left pretty well.
Speaker 3: Like I don't I don't.
Speaker 1: Have the splits off the top of my head of what they've been as a pro. But I just see him as a guy that's going to get better and better at that. And like he looks comfortable in those left on left matchups with which I think is huge for a player like him. And like in that game where you're facing you know, is Jordan Wick's the nastiest pitcher in the world. No, but he's a big league lefty that you know can really leverage the left on left matchups and make you uncomfortable here and there and I thought it was a really comfortable at bats in general from Jenkins all the way through and again moving really well, look healthy. Emmanuel Rodriguez looked uncomfortable in his abs. I know he's just come back and he's still kind of sorting through it, but just it was kind of the opposite where you saw some uncomfortable takes, like some some like half swing stuff like that. But at the end of the day, like this guy that's still been performing since he's been on the field, and I know Jay again with how long he was out and then he reaggravated the injury, so then he came out of a game recently as well.
Speaker 3: It's good to just see him on the field.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, it seems like he's still kind of working through some things and getting back into his rhythm.
Speaker 4: For reference, Walker Jenkins is rocking a he said in two eighty with a seven to fifty two ops against left enders this season. Last season was a tick below that, but around the same. There is some split there, but it's not like he's getting blown up by lefties. You see a lot of prospects, especially in those tough left on left where they're rocking a six hundred ops like he's he's still been perfectly solid against left enders, and I think it sounds like he might be able to even trend that better as he ages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That was the biggest thing that thought out to me, the body control, the comfortable takes, Like I think he's of course he's going to hit righty's better, but I think he's gonna be a guy that you don't have to worry about, you know, platooning or anything like that, which it just overall just helps the baseline production if you're not gonna have a crater left on left. And just for context too, on Emmanuel Rodriguez, I think this was his first.
Speaker 3: Game back in Triple A in a little bit, so.
Speaker 1: It looked like it and you know, he's he's a three true outcome guy anyway, and I think those guys take a little bit longer to kind of get back into rhythm. So Patient's probably gonna be the key there with the manual. I just want if he doesn't get it going here in the next few weeks, like they might just kind of take it easy finish the year with him healthy, and I think Jenkins could be the guy that if the Twins need some help over the last few weeks, Jenkins is a guy that can help them with with the ability to play all three outfield spots, approach, sneaky pop. Although it's not even stake anymore, sent them all horn. I'm just interested to see if he gets a crack this year, and I think he will.
Speaker 5: That was like the perfect transition, man.
Speaker 4: I mean our heat sheet, our first couple names I put on there with kind of the category of will they get up this year? That was sort of the little bit of the intention behind the first couple names on this heat sheet because the Triple A guys like Jenkins, there's a few other a pair of other top prospects in Triple A that I wanted to start with.
Speaker 5: We've both been awesome lately.
Speaker 1: First one is.
Speaker 4: Ralphie Velaskaz and that same division for Cleveland. And and that's a guy we've talked about him a ton this year. Right, it's no secret that Ralphieveblaskaz has become one of the premier hitting prospects in baseball of late.
Speaker 5: He's been more of the same. He's been awesome this past ten games.
Speaker 4: He's got six homers over to over one thousand ops in that time for him, he really just hasn't been He's just been awesome all yere like, there's really no you can't point at any real stretch and be like, oh, Ralphie like has not been good at I guess to be fair, in the beginning of Triple A, he did slow down a bit. For a guy who's only twenty one, it looks like he's finding his groove in Triple A. And with him, that's a guy where I'm like, Cleveland is quickly struggling right now. They're falling a little bit out of the radar. I mean they're fourth of the division now, which is kind of crazy. I thought they would stick around that second spot, but they are four plus out of the division now. They're fighting to hold on to a spot. And you don't want to rush a guy who's, you know, a young twenty one year.
Speaker 5: Old first baseman.
Speaker 4: At the same time, man, like, if you told your Alfrey A. Blaskaz was the fourth best hitter in that lineup tomorrow, like, it wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: That's why they're like, and I get like, you go get a big league bat that can help you now in Nathaniel Lowe, but like I kind of was like, oh man, I would love to see Ralphie get a crack this year and see what it would look like. But he does kind of feel like a guy if they didn't make that trade and who knows, they still could do it, Like.
Speaker 5: They still got it, they can get here?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, well didn't they bring up now?
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, what are they going to do there? And then now Bizana's kind of dhing a little bit and they're rotator the DH spot. But here's the thing, like, if you need offense and you know Reyes Hoskins isn't doing it, those are some abs.
Speaker 3: I still think, you know, you can find a way.
Speaker 1: I know he's getting the short platoon, but like find a way to get get some more abs to two guys that can produce a little bit more and go from there. I know Hoskins has picked it up a little bit, but I my guess would be that Ralphie gets left off because of the move that they made, and I think that's just what the Guardians want to do here. I think it's unfortunate because I I think some of it is like Okay, they already feel like they've got so many young players theoretically trying to help them right now, but at the same time, like I would love to see another potential spark plug with the power potential that he has that he's already getting into and really the way he's settled in at the triple A level, with the way that he's produced of late, and like they wanted to ride the hot hand with. Now I know that's a guy that you know, you kind of had an easier path to getting consistent playing time and didn't have the forty man situation as much. I'm trying to when when Ralphie is Rule five eligible, because that would make it He's not Rule five eligible until twenty seven, So I wonder if they just want to I just want to leave him off the forty, say, preserve the extra forty spot and just go in to next year, which stinks because and then you.
Speaker 3: Can help them.
Speaker 4: You can go for the PPI next year, which, like you know, I know that's another part of it, So that probably that's a good point.
Speaker 5: Actually, I didn't realize he wasn't because I mean.
Speaker 4: He's still young twenty third, twenty one, like a two months ago, not even right, he's still really young. I just think it's been impressive to see him kind of recalibrating Triple A and have a little bit of a tough first month there, and now it's just right back to what he was doing in Double A, where it's just more of the same and he's mashing again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you know, he's he's been a little bit more aggressive, and I think it's worked in his favor. And you know, when you have an average EXI velocity north of ninety one miles an hour with the batted ball angles that he has and you know, the all fields pop, but he can really get into a pull side. He's just a young hitter that's really figuring out who he is as a power guy, and I think it's making it, you know, even easier and easier for him to get into that game pop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The next guy that I want to ask you about in terms of somebody who could potentially be in the big leagues, but I'm not sure where the fit is. Franklin Arius of the Red Sox organization is a you know, top three prospect in baseball for us, just baseball number three on your top one hundred and uh. He gets the promotion to Triple A a couple of weeks ago, first few games I think was a bit slow, and since then it's been more of the same. I mean Arius is first, Yeah, his first two games he goes he goes oh for nine in Triple A and then the last eleven. Since then, he's only got one game without a hit. He's got three three hit games. He's hitting like three forty in the past two weeks now, since being in trips, Like, he's just doing more of the same. And I know it's a limited Triple A sample, but like at Boston's, they're in the thick of a of a really intense playoff race in division and wildcard race. So like, Arius just is so freaking good and he's already finding it in Triple.
Speaker 1: A now, I mean, I think there's there's like a legitimate case like that he could be, you know, the number one prospect in baseball, and I wouldn't blank at it with the way that he's playing and with the sum of his part right where you're getting now the above average power to pair with what was always an elite hit tool, with a glove that is already always had the ingredients to be a really good defender, but now is progressed into a guy that you see is an above average shorts up. Some you know have him even better than that, and just I think the power uptick is just what really solidifies and now the upper level success that he could be.
Speaker 3: That number one prospect and I wouldn't blink at it.
Speaker 1: Of course, made like you have so much excitement there and it's even younger, and there's so many different wrinkles and it is a fun conversation, but you can I think you can have the conversation where I don't know if it was as much of one a couple months ago. The funny thing with the Red Sox right now is just they have this weird thing going where like no matter who they plug in, especially in like the middle infield roles, like they're succeeding. Andrew Monasterio has been great for them. I think so Guard has been great. I don't understand it so like that I don't think is gonna last per se. So like if those guys slow down, I do think that Arius is a guy that can get up there.
Speaker 3: They've they've wanted more right handed bats.
Speaker 1: Of course they went out and got them but it's just another right handed bat that could really help them. And you know, late in the season, do you care as much about you know, him not playing every single day. Like so even if he's in a part time role to just make this team better, I still think that's an interesting, you know, potential addition to the ball club. Like if Anthony Seger, I know he's been swinging it pretty well now too, Like I imagine one of Monasterio so guard h Seagor And I don't know what Trevor story's story is, but like if if he's not in there as well, I don't know, there's a lot of wrinkles to this, but I think there's a world and I don't like to just bank on, you know, prospects helping you. But this is the best performer I think in the upper miners all year long that has the ingredients to be good in the big leagues, to be like, he's the type of guy that can get up there and succeed because the hit hit too ability, because of the approach, because of the now added power. I would love to see him get a crack. I know we saw Breslo saying like I don't want to put those expectations on a twenty year old, which is really funny because he had no problem putting those expectations on Roman Anthony. But I think it's gotta be worth a consideration if if one of these guys slow down, or you know, if Story isn't on his way back or whatever it may be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got Cornball arm out here with story Story on the on the call up today.
Speaker 5: That was a good one. But no, I mean, I'm with you there.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's just like, it's nothing against those three guys who have been playing middle infil for them, like you mentioned, but it's like, is Franklin Arius a better player when things when you really look at it, and you're like, is he a more talented piece than those guys? Yes, And like yeah, they they've held their own, But like, who's to say any of those players couldn't completely go cold and an Arius like, yeah, he might struggle because he's twenty, but he also might give you that like injection of like a rookie studded talented guy, and.
Speaker 5: Playoff teams need that sometimes.
Speaker 4: You've seen a lot of playoff teams get that rookie young guy that just gives them an extra push in the postseason.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, you throw him in the nine hole where he's going to see a lot to hit in the power hit combination like another guy though rule five twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Do they care about that?
Speaker 1: I don't think they care as much because I think it just comes down to just Breswell. I think that he can help this team more than you know some of the vets that they have a torrid couple more weeks in Triple A and some guys maybe slowing down can only help that case for a team that's clearly all in, which, by the way, Harold Revas was the player to be named later now in that Adlie Rutchman deal, so he's heading over Revas.
Speaker 3: He's probably not going to be a superstar.
Speaker 1: But for that to be like the fourth prospect included in there, he's like a guaranteed fourth outfielder. He's a wizard in center field, another solid piece to add to the Oriole system that is just so vastly improved.
Speaker 3: They're all in on this year. I think that's very clear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it definitely seems that way. It appears to be that way.
Speaker 4: The next guy up is Jsue Braseno of the Tigers organization.
Speaker 5: He's getting a little promotion here.
Speaker 4: So this is our last Triple A name to talk about because he just got bumped from double to triple.
Speaker 5: He was on a run in Double A.
Speaker 4: This is the guy who missed some of the season, right, he missed. He's only played a little under thirty games this year. He was out for much of the year, comes back to some reheab games in single A, gets to Double A and it's seventeen Double A games. He picks up a one to sixty five wrsc plus with eight homers in his first seventeen games back in double A after being out for.
Speaker 5: Most of the year, And he was catching during a lot.
Speaker 4: Of this, right, And immediately two weeks in gets the bumped out of triple He's knocking on the door. And Detroit's another team that's still in the mix. And I'm not saying it's gonna be this year. But like Verseno, fully healthy last year, was already looking good in Double A, and now he looks better than ever in Double A and he's going right up to Triple A within a month of coming back off injury.
Speaker 3: This kid's a freak show.
Speaker 1: Dude, he's gonna be a big climber on our top one hundred update. He's he had risk surgery usually there's like major residual effects. Also, it's gonna be the theme of this episode, at least at this portion of it. Roll five eligible this year. I don't even think we're gonna have a roll five. But Persenia is not the kind of guy that you would risk of joya sneak sneak through if under the assumption that we might not have it. He needs to be added to the forty anyways. So this is another player where it's like, if you got to add him to the forty, why not bring him up late, especially if like Kerry Carpenter's planner for Shy continue to bother him Riley Green's hammy, Like, that's probably not going to get better anytime immediately soon it is. It is a fun idea because this is just such a unique balance of power and hit like that somebody as big and powerful as host Wap Persenyo should not be making as much contact as he does, but he is, and that's just been the story with him. He hammers top rail fastballs, which is crazy for a guy like him, like absolutely hammers top rail fastballs and then he still is productive enough against breaking balls, and so far it's a small sample, but he's been much better. I think that, yeah, there was some that would be the one like nitpick would be like sometimes breaking balls because of the flatter swing that he can tend to have, but he's found more loft, Like it is improved and that got better from you know, I think at the start of last year, really you saw that that swing have more loft in general, and we've seen him just now get better and better against breaking balls. Again, small sample, we only have seventy three balls in play so far the season for percentio, but it's a ninety five point five mile per hour average eggs of velocity at a twenty one degree want changle, Like that's going to result in video game numbers.
Speaker 3: And that's pretty much what.
Speaker 1: We've got so far from him with a seventy seven percent contact trait. So like, this is a monster that is also built to be able to, you know, handle big league pitching. I think a little bit more quickly than most hitters of his archetype, and like he's one to definitely watch, and I don't think it's coincidence that they bumped him up to trip away so quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He I saw the other day he wasn't on ba's top one hundred at all, which stood out to me as a guy that I was like, wow, like, where is like percent?
Speaker 5: I was like the number one game.
Speaker 4: I like looked up Yeah, no, I checked, I was the new I just double checked it because I was curious, and I was like, that's a guy that I I I figured on ours like looking at you, I know your work side note top one hundred update coming to I know you're in the lab on that, which is exciting, and keep an eye for that for sure. But that's the guy I was thinking in my head, like the catching, the hit tool developing, Like I was thinking, like top thirty type of guy potentially, you know, he's a freak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's a little surprising, but like and I'm sure a lot of it probably has to do with like the catching side, and of course the injuries. We haven't seen him for so much of the year. But if he's a forty grade catch, if he can catch a couple times a week, right, I don't even care. That guy could be a first base DH and I like the bat so much that he's a top fifty prospect to me. So if he's able to catch a couple of times a week, even if he's a forty grade catcher, to me, he's a top thirty prospect.
Speaker 3: In the game. And so I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I'm going to dave a little bit more into the catching defense, but I still think there's there's avenues to there. He's probably just too big for the position, and that's the general concern. But even if that's the case, like as a first baseman, I think he's a top thirty forty prospect because of the bat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Let's take a quick break and then we got a bunch more fun names coming up here on the heacheet. We got a great star to jump back into here on the heat sheet, Xavier isaac Man. It is so cool to just see this guy mashing. He has been through a lot the past year, and to see what he's doing lately. The season numbers across the board have been good. We know this is a guy that's always hit at a very high level, but particularly of late, he has been one of, if not the best hitter in minor league baseball. At the Double A level recently, and that has been so cool to watch. Isaac is up to what twenty two homers on the year now, WRSC plus up to one forty five, and recently it has been just video game numbers.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm endlessly going to root for this guy obviously, Like this is just such an easy, easy player to root for.
Speaker 3: And I mean the story in itself with the brain.
Speaker 1: Surgery that he had to have and you know he wasn't even he had to fully kind of learn how to do a lot of basic things forget hitting, you know, a ninety five million hour baseball. So for him to be doing what he's doing at the level that he's doing is so impressive and again, just so much fun to watch him. Like he's been one of my favorite power bats to watch in the minor Higgs over the last couple of years. And the hit tool is always going to be part of the question with him. But I think what you've seen is like he's been extremely patient, he's leaned into the three true outcomes side of things, and like of late has closed the gap on some of the whiff And like, if there's someone that's gonna be able to get away with the thirty percent kre raiate. It's probably Xavier Isaac with the power to all fields. Like this guy miss hits balls that leave the yard, and I mean he one arm swings and hits balls one oh eight that leave the yard on a line.
Speaker 3: So like the power is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And you look over his last one hundred plate appearances, it's twelve thirty seven ops. It's a ninety three mile per hour average x oosit and the air ex ofvositi's ninety eight miles per hour. It's home runs to literally all fields. The dispray chart is like from foul pole to foul pole. It's it's really impressive power, like legitimately easy seventy grade pop. It's just can he hit enough to get into it. He's made the improvements with his approach. He's had a good stretch here contact wise, and you know, I think he's gonna obviously earn himself the opportunity to to try to prove that he can hit en off at the big league level by next year, and I think Triple A is probably coming up soon for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The good thing about Isaac that does slightly balance out the whiff is that he walks so much. Right, He's always been a guy that's walked a ton. This year it's his highest career mark of an on base percentage at four or five on the season, right, So yeah, he's probably even lower than the two sixty batting average he's at right now at the higher levels. But if he counteracts it with a you know, if he can beat triple A in the big leagues with a three seventy OBP, that at least balances out the concerns with the whiff.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, like you said, the power is just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: You watch him of the swings he takes, Like I watched one of his homers from a couple nights ago when I was, you know, catching up on some games, and I was just like, this is just a it's a stilly swing. It's just like a simple swing that you just see the ball absolutely carry.
Speaker 5: So he's just fun to watch, and I think he will be a big league piece, And even if.
Speaker 4: It ends up as a you know, if he ends up as a platoon of songside the DH first base guy, like, there's still some serious value even in that role.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say, Like, he probably won't see leftist.
Speaker 1: That's fine, And like for a bat like this, you're you're just trying to find like, okay, how can we minimize with as much as possible, and like no number one will be you know, shel term from lefties.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, you shel term from lefties.
Speaker 1: And I think I think you can keep that strikeout right at around thirty percent. Then and if he if he runs into enough homers and walks en off, like he could be a successful, you know, big league player. So he took he's taking a big step forward this year beyond everything else that he's had to overcome, and I'm excited to see how he responds to triple A and again I think potentially a big league opportunity sometime next year where he's just one of those players where you'll never know fully until you see it up at the big league level. And odds are stacked against guys like that, but if there's someone that can do it, it's a guy that's one overcome everything that he has and has the perspective that he has probably on life too. He's only twenty two years old still and three a guy that yes, he's whiffs a Ton, but there's a little bit more adjustability I think than most guys that with as much as he does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guy up on our heat sheet is Mitch Voight of the New York Mets organization.
Speaker 5: This was a guy who got a.
Speaker 4: Lot of buzz late last year in the draft cycle, ends up going thirty thirty eighth overall right for someone who was, you know, a college guy, a little bit more of a floor over ceiling type of bat.
Speaker 5: But people liked him, especially late in the draft. Started climbing.
Speaker 4: Recently, he's breaking out in a big way because he's been in Double A for he was in High A. He really didn't have a great start to the year for a college guy who was supposed to be more of a high floor type of guy. Picks it up a little bit recently, gets promoted to Double A. His first eleven games in Double A, he's hitting five fifty. I almost like didn't like I saw that. I was like, is that a mistake? Like, I was like, wait, what, he's leading all mine Len baseball in that span. Yeah, I mean eleven games into that level and he's gotten out. I mean he's gotten a base at a six thirty three clip in the first two weeks of double A ball so far.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely insane. It's it's been a ridiculous heater for him. And by the way, Ralphievelaska is just homeered again as.
Speaker 5: We speak, of course.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's just something clicked. I was looking to see if there was a major mechanical change, and there really wasn't, so it could just be a little bit of a feel thing, a little bit of an approach thing. But over his last one hundred plate appearances, Mitch Voy's running an end zone contact right in ninety percent overall contact right to eighty and and you pair that with in that span and average xavosity of ninety miles per hour. Like he's making more contact, he's hitting the ball harder, and his approach has gotten better. So something just clicked for him. And I mean it is right around the time where he's like started to get his feet under him a bit professionally, right, it becomes like a almost like a full season's worth of abs if you combine it with last year, and so maybe something kind of clicked there. But to see him take that into the promotion and just not really blank there either, and forget not blank like just kicking into a different gear. I think is really evident that there's something that has just locked in for him at the plate. And the other thing that I think is really fun is just how good he's been against all pitch types. Hereat he's been hitting all season, he's handled breaking balls really well, but especially through this stretch, he really has. And then the other rankle and I won't pretend I've watched a ton of the defense, but like he's also getting more run at shortstop too through this, So like you think that that would be another thing for him to have to worry about and kind of, you know, maybe take his mind off of Maybe it's taking his mind off of hitting in a good way.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's just going up there and being more natural focusing on shortstop. But that's another thing that he has to worry about. And instead, you know, it's he's been great through this stretch as he's actually playing more shortstop. So if he looks like he can sick it short I mean that really elevates the profile and I'm excited to watch a little bit more just to see if that might be the case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, since getting to.
Speaker 4: Double a, it's eight games at short and only two games at second comparative to interesting. I mean, he was already playing more short and towards the end of his stretch and HIGHA too. So really it's like a trend for a couple months now with him playing like primarily shortstop over second base, which there's other guys that could be playing short there too, So it's not like he's just getting it. I mean, he's clearly there's something there with trying to keep the match short for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're trying to make it happen, and like he's a good athlete, So I'm excited to dive into that video a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt. The next guy up is another high end prospect. We got some heavy hitters on this He achieved, for sure, but they're performing to the standard where they should be. And that's ray Nail Rodriguez of the Cardinals organization. Another catching prospect here to get to who has been equally on a heater with some of the other guys we've talked about, who's just been mashing his way through the Texas League in Double A. And you know, for someone who's nineteen years old, still and catching almost every day. His last ten games in Double A, he's rocking a twelve eighty two ops hit in four hundred eight extra MASE hits in those ten games played.
Speaker 5: Rodriguez has been on.
Speaker 4: Another heater after, you know, marginally slower start to his Double A time. But I mean, there's a chance he's in Triple A at the end of this year at nineteen years old. Isn't that that's kind of kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And catching, it's it's crazy, man, Like, he's just such an advanced hitter for.
Speaker 3: I forget his nineteen year old catcher.
Speaker 1: And the way that he's just flying through the mind of Higgs and being able to do it with the power and you know, the overall field a hit for a guy that's very airpole coded, like he's he's very much trying to airpole but at the same time is able to, you know, put together solid enough contact rates, hold his own in his bats, even guys you know, then there might be a question at the highest level of like when he gets spun away like a lot a lot of hard breaking balls away, can that give him some some issues maybe, But for for the most part, he's been hedging that with a good enough approach and ability to to kind of leave hard sliders away and and lean into what he does well, and there's at least some adjustability there, but he destroys fastballs.
Speaker 3: He continues to come along as a catcher.
Speaker 1: I think he's a guy that can be you know, average back there with with more work. But like, it seems like he's got the ingredients to be average back there, and you pair the bat to a ball with like with the angles and the bat speed and the fact that he's a catcher and his age, and it's just it's just pretty awesome to see. This is a guy that's also like, you can't be too bullish on him, Like I can see people ranking him in the top ten. I totally understand it. I could see people being a little bit lower. I also understand that just because maybe you wonder if he's going to stick back there. But I think it's getting harder and harder to justify having him really anywhere outside of like a top twenty prospect in baseball with the age level, production, the fact that he's not at least an automatic move off of catcher, and just the power that we're seeing as well. I was actually just talking to the Cedar Rapids Colonel's broadcaster Calvin Christoffero about it, and he was saying, Rainiel is the best player he's seen in the Midwest League like all year, and for a nineteen year old to be in a young nineteen year old to be the best player in that league, it's just is remarkable.
Speaker 5: And that's the league he was at earlier in the year or two. He's passed Belle's in the technically now up in Double H I.
Speaker 3: Know, which is just crazy.
Speaker 1: He's really eighteen at the level, like eighteen at the level I think when he was there. So it's for him to be the best player at that level and then get up to Double A Texas League and just keep hitting there, it's just crazy.
Speaker 5: It's just a rounded player.
Speaker 4: It's not like there's like one thing in his game where you're like that's because he doesn't. Mean, yeah, the power is really impressive, but he's also like he's hitting for gandak. It's not like he's not you know, he's not. He's hitting two ninety three and he's making him I mean, he's he's hitting well across the board. He takes his walk still he's over eleven percent on the season so far. The strikeout rates nothing egregious at all, Like there's just there's just really nothing to like poke holes at in his offensive game. And like you said, if he sticks behind the plate, even as a decent catcher, just such a valuable piece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my aln concern was like the body, Its like is he going to back up? But I just I don't think he is. Like he's just kind of this unique like build that.
Speaker 1: Just he's He's gonna be called a sneaky athlete a lot, is probably what I'll say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the next guy up, I was just looking at this funny next to each other. The next guy up is older than Renel Rodriguez, for example, and we're talking about Jojo Parker of the Blue Jays, who is a high school first round pick last year and is already significantly like multiple months, like five six months, almost older than Renew Rodriguez. Nonetheless, Jojo Parker has been crushing it lately. He just got promoted to High A, so I think he played in his first high game yesterday, I believe. But his final stretch at the low A level in his first pro season, he was just going off Man and continuing to really show out and show why he was that the eighth overall pick to Toronto this past year.
Speaker 5: Jojo was really on a.
Speaker 4: Heater overall his past few weeks and now he gets to take it high to finish the year.
Speaker 1: I've seen this guy a few different times in person, and every time he just hits, he just hits, hit, hits, hits hits, And you know, the question will be like how much power does he ultimately get into when we're talking about the ceiling, But I mean every time I watch him, like he flashes like a one o eight or a one oh nine, and you're like, okay, and it's a pretty easy swing. You start to get excited about like what ultimately can be in there, and yeah, you know, dude had to shake off and just kind of get comfortable and in full season ball, and like it's kind of hard to hit in the Florida State League even with the way some of these balls have been flying.
Speaker 3: And on top of that, it tot get rained out like all the time and whatever and kind of get out of a rhythm.
Speaker 1: Breaking balls were giving him some trouble early on and then and he's just was pul verising fastballs all year long. But now you know, JoJo's really improved against breaking balls, and he's he's got kind of the longer stride, some of it have a bigger move, so he was getting a little bit drifty early in the year. I think he's gotten a lot better at holding his backside and that's helped him produce a lot more consistently against breaking balls. And I think it's timed perfectly now as he's kind of figured that out to promote Parker up to Hi A finish the year there, and you know, I think he'll be in a good spot next year where he can you know, return to Hi A and then with a good start, could quickly get bumped a double. So I feel like the timeline's been right on where you would want it to be for Jojo. He kind of it kind of clicked for him fully right when you kind of want to see it click for him. And you know, it's just he's such a fun blend of hit and power potential, and the big question is just going to be like what the glove looks like at shortstop. But he's got plenty of time to continue to try to prove that he can stick there and.
Speaker 4: He's playing there all the time, which, yeah, problem, you know, it's just like he's getting he's gonna get shortstop run until he reaches the bigs like every day. That's the type of thing with him and that type of talent he is, Like, they're gonna get him every chance in the world to stick at short which they should absolutely because of how impressive the overall offensive game is.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I'm excited to see him in HYA.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be you know, it'll obviously any any prep guy in their first season, it pushes them a little bit. It's a natural thing to be pushed a little bit on that. But I think he's gonna hang and he'll still put up some pretty solid offensive numbers and then, like you said, hopefully we'll see him in Double A at twenty years old next year potentially.
Speaker 1: Which is I mean, again, exactly what you would want timeline wise.
Speaker 5: Right, we got a duo here.
Speaker 4: I'm hitting them both at the same time, Johnny Level and Yosuar Gonzalez of the Giants organization at two different levels.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I did I did it. I did it just like you earlier. Oh, you're catching on to me.
Speaker 4: But no Johnny Level and Yoswar Gonzales in the Giants org. We talked about it last week. Man, like the Giants farm system as a whole is just looking absurd right now. It's like one of the most improved to some from the past year easily. But Level, first of all, has been on a absolute heater in this past like you got You've got to Higa, I think about two months ago. Oh and in the past few weeks has been ridiculous. Meanwhile, Gonzalez getting his first taste of actual affiliated ball. He had that crazy first week and has slowed down marginally but is still putting up a one to fifty WRC plus. There was first twelve games at the single A level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Josuar, that was I was just excited to see him get like challenged a little bit more, which is how bad that like the complex pitching is. And just he's a guy that just has a good feel to hit, good approach and just was better than everybody there. So I was just like, all right, well, let's see, let's see what happens when you're challenged a little bit more.
Speaker 3: And I mean he is not blinked.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I'm interested to see with with Gonzalez is just like can he elevate more consistently? And I feel like he's been doing that a little bit more out of the game because it's just it is a flat swing and there's some slack to it, which is he's fine. He's eighteen years old and he's still already as a switch hitter producing the way that he has. It's been so impressive to see. But that'll be like kind of the next the next thing for him. I think that he's not gonna be able to really make that adjustment realize that he needs to make that adjustment in terms of kind of the flatter swing and getting a little bit casty at times until you know he's struggling to pull things in the air, like kind of getting beatenside a little bit, and that's probably not gonna happen until he gets the full season ball. So even so far, though, like he's not really seemed very challenged by by the level from both sides of the plate too, Like you're seeing him pick up hits from both sides, and I'm excited to see more of him because to some of his parts as a player that could be really really special, like five tool type of guy, because of the defense, because of the power potential, because of the field of hit and approach like as a switch hitter at the speed.
Speaker 3: Like there's just so much to like there.
Speaker 1: Johnny Level is fascinating too because different build, less projection.
Speaker 3: But he's just already so.
Speaker 1: Good at like what he's good at in terms of he destroys velocity. He leverages his strike zone really well, and he's gotten better at that because he used to get a little bit, you know, over his elois and expansive. The one thing with Level is right now like he he is not missing heaters and he's going to hit heaters with the best of them. But I do wonder like as he gets challenged a little bit more against better breaking balls, like are there some things that could kind of come to the surface with him, Like even in his last one hundred played appearances where he has a nine to twenty OPS, he's hitting four h five level with the twelve eighty eight OPS against fast balls in that span, but he's I think he has just one hit. He's hitting seventy one with a three twelve OPS against breaking balls. But then small sample change ups destroying those to a nine to twenty ops.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting.
Speaker 1: But another switch hitter that you know is just adjusting from both sides against better spin, and the fact that he's been this productive even with the struggles against spin, I think, you know, it could cut both ways, and I think the positive spin is like, well, we'll just wait till he gets more comfortable with breaking stuff because at the end of the day, even with the breaking stuff challenges in terms of production level, is only striking out sixteen and a half percent of the time, and his strikeout rate is identical from from low way to hi A sixteen point six and LOWAI sixteen point seven and hi A. So like, I think it's more of just getting better swings on the spin, Like he's not chasing a ton against it. He's still spoiling them, it's just when he puts it in play, it's just not of high quality. And I think that's something that he can, you know, improve on as he gets more at bats.
Speaker 3: He's just turned nineteen years old.
Speaker 4: What interesting him is he is starting to play a little more second basis. He rises up in high A, which I think for now he's still playing more short than second relatively, but it does seem like my gauge is at like when Josuar catches up to him or they if they end up at the same level together, it seems like it'll be more jos War at short and level at second. That doesn't take away from what he's doing overall, And it still seems like even if he can be a okay shortstop as a secondary position, that's still useful.
Speaker 1: He's really fundamentally sound and has a good arm level. I think, like, I think he can hold it down short, but I think they're kind of also looking ahead and say, well, he's probably gonna slow it down a little bit with this build.
Speaker 3: You kind of projected out what you think he's gonna ultimately like.
Speaker 1: Look like, I think he's gonna end up being a little bit stockier, ended up being a really agile for his build second basement. Then he could be like a plus defensive second basement, and he could also be a guy that.
Speaker 3: Plugs in a third and I'm surprised.
Speaker 1: I would love to see him get some reps over there too, with the arm strength that he has. But I think at the end of the day, level could be a guy that plays all over the infield, not first, but plays all over the infield otherwise and could be a valuable glove even if he kind of differs from shortstop for a better defender.
Speaker 4: Right, let's take a one more break, and then we got another little international guy to talk about here. In addition to some pictures, we're back on the heat sheet. We got five more names to get through. We've hit on some big hitters. Now we got one last bat, believe it or not, it's a Brewer. And then we got four arms to talk about as well. I got another Brewer's young guy in the pipeline to talk about here that we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 5: We've talked about a lot of the guys in that system.
Speaker 4: But Braylin in Tunes of the Brewers organization, signed from Venezuela in twenty twenty five with the Brewers this year. He spent most of the year at the complex and was not bad at the complex.
Speaker 5: But this is one of those guys where.
Speaker 4: You see a guy, like when you see a guy that's eighteen do better in single a than in the complex, like significantly out of the gate.
Speaker 5: It raises those alarms for me.
Speaker 4: And Tunias was already a decently popular little sneaky name there, but his first thirteen games in single A since getting promoted a few weeks ago, sitting three seventy five with a two seventeen wrs plus netspan, already five homers and six bags in those first thirteen games.
Speaker 5: What you got on this guy is the another one of these Brewers.
Speaker 4: Guys, we got to be putting an asterik and keeping an eye on carefully.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean this is this is my best breakout pick by far.
Speaker 5: I think I forgot you had this one.
Speaker 3: This is the best one by far.
Speaker 1: This I won't top this one for a while out of getting because he had an eighty three WRC plus in the DSL last year, and also like he was striking out thirty one percent of the time at the complex as you mentioned, like nine homers when we did the check in on breakouts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't give me a full w on this. We said, relatively speaking, like it's a it's a it's a it's.
Speaker 5: A give you the media thumb on it.
Speaker 1: It's like a medium thumb because he's striking out thirty one percent of the time of the complex. That said, we saw him popping like one Twilve was one. Thirteen's like, holy crap, he's eighteen years old. But now the thumb's starting to point upwards because you've got then we'll see. Obviously we need to get get a little bit more of a sample, but thirteen games, not just the five homers that in this span of fifty nine played appearances. And I know it's a small sample, but if you take a guy that you had with concerns in the complex and you drop him in a low way and he's getting his a swing off, which like clearly you know Antonias is you'd think that he'd be punching out a ton out of the gate, and he's cut that strikeout right down by more like by seven percent. He's striking out just twenty three point seven percent of the time, and he's walking more at a fifteen percent clip. So that the raw power and bat speed on this kid is crazy, and that was part of the reason why we picked him as like as a breakout guy. The other side is that he's made more contact over his last one hundred play If you look at his last sixty play appearances in low as, it's a contact rate that is you know, at seventy percent, which for him, like, that's a big jump up from where he was before in the year. But this is a trend that was kind of happening towards from the end of the complex leak stint that I think this is just a dude with freakish bat speed that kind of just relied on natural ability in the box is now kind of cleaning up the mechanics a little bit, because that's what the Brewers do with their guys. He has this kind of toe tap where he gets to the like the first tap early and sits there, but he controls his body really well, so he sees the ball early and then it's just a short stride out from that first little toe tap inward and he just seems consistently on time compared to before and controlling the lower half well and then getting off this easy plus bat speed swing with a good feel for the zone. And yeah, this just looks like another Brewer's, you know, success story in terms of just being able to develop a guy.
Speaker 5: Another one for sure. That's how it feels like.
Speaker 4: That's how it feels like with this guy, and he's the numbers back it up for sure. So we'll see he keeps progressing obviously a small sample. He's also playing a lot of center field. I mean, this is the guy who if he's sticks in center, and yeah, he seems like he moves well.
Speaker 5: I mean that the speed grades out. Well.
Speaker 4: He's playing some right too, So we'll see if he ends up just getting big enough where he moves to a corner, if he just gets even bigger. But at the same time, I think they're at least gonna give him shot to stick him center.
Speaker 1: So which I think he's got all the time to prove again because again it's it's really good wheels and really athletic frame.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, we got four pitchers here, we're gonna hit on quickly. One is a little bit of an older guy.
Speaker 4: I wanted to give him some shine for what he's been doing of late. Brendan Beck of the New York Yankees organization was a second rounder five years ago.
Speaker 5: He debuted.
Speaker 4: He went up to New York for I think he had throw in two games briefly this season so far in his big league debut, and then I think he had one other outing after that. But what he's said in Triple A this year has been exceptional. And obviously Triple A is an interesting place for pitchers.
Speaker 5: It's usually a lot of up and down guys, and Beck's a guy that, like, at some point.
Speaker 4: The Yankees, I have to consider the possibility their rotation is very busy, so I don't really see him having like a rotation spot this year. But man, he's been great. He's been one of, if not the best pitcher at the upper levels this season. Honestly, just from an overall production standpoint, you're talking about a two six era on the year in Triple A. He's chugging innings, he's striking out guys at high clip, He's not walking.
Speaker 5: A lot of guys. What do you think about Beck's level of success at the big Weigu level?
Speaker 1: Potentially, Yeah, it's interesting because this is a guy that where nothing jumped off the page, right, he was a low nineties v low but you know, with a little bit of sneaky ride to it, So okay, this guy can spin it a little bit. And I think the Yankees have done a really good job of just building out the arsenal, because if you're not going to have anything that jumps off the page, let's try to add pitches to the fold here and the tunneling nightmare he can create because of the different offerings he has, it's pretty crazy and he's tough to game plan for because you really get a little bit of every everything. You get a four seamer with still some sneaky ride in the low nineties, then you get a sinker off of that. There's a cutter in the upper eighties to ninety miles per hour just off of that.
Speaker 3: Then there's a gyro.
Speaker 1: Slider in the low eighties, there's a splitter in the low eighties, and then there's this downer curveball that can get like anywhere from fifteen to seventeen inches of vertical.
Speaker 3: Drop as well.
Speaker 1: So there's just this mix that I think is really tough to differentiate out of the hand, and they all kind of bridge off of each other quite well. And I think because of his ability to mix and match the overall field of pitch, like, I think it could be a quality back into the rotation starter who just kind of massages this way through lineups because of all of the different pitches that are somewhat difficult to differentiate, like they're close enough to each other but far enough v low and shape wise that I think he can keep hitters off balance. So you know, I thought he might be an interesting trade chip for a team that you know, is looking for like an upper miners other piece. But I think we now at least looks like a solid depth arm, and to me, it looks like it could be a you know, a number five starter for a big league team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in which case he's gonna do a role, and maybe he's a trade guy. I think the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Those types of arms seem like they're often in trade docks for the Yankees, and maybe hands up being one of those guys off season where it's like they have a really crowded rotation, but there's other teams out there that would be like, oh, I'd love to throw back in the back of the rotation and see what happens with it.
Speaker 5: So I could see that happening. I'm not sure where the role would be for him in New York.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's a long reliever, spot starter type of guy, but it is a little crowded there on the pitching side, at least especially starters for the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, but you know, you can always use the depth, and yeah, I think plenty of teams would be interested in kind of him is like an Ning Zeter back end guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the next guy up did have a rough Triple A debut the other day, but I wanted to give Bryce Mayor some shine of the Houston Astros organization, who was absolutely carving at the Double A level prior to just getting promoted this week.
Speaker 5: Not going to put too much.
Speaker 4: Stock in a Triple A debut, especially in the PbCl, but has been awesome in Double A all season, honestly for Mayor and particularly of late, he went on a run there before he got promoted. Of like a couple shoutouts in a row in Triple A and someone where for a Houston team that needs to keep getting pitching up through that system.
Speaker 5: He looks like he could be a piece there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's interesting, and I thought they might trade him because just like the Aastros or buyers and I think a lot. I thought a lot of teams would be interested in them, and maybe they that was one of the key pieces if they were able to pull off one of these deals, but they weren't able to really pull anything off other than var show. But Meyer's interesting because I think he checks a lot of boxes that teams would be interested in from like a stuff plus aspect and just like some of the unique characteristics from a release and like pitch shape perspective. He gets low and works down the mound really well where it's like five foot two release height, but gets seven feet of extension. So the combination of getting that low where average you know, average release height in the BIGS is probably about like five foot nine, maybe a little bit more than that, so to get well below average, and then typically when you're getting that low, you're not going to get that kind of extension. To get seven feet of extension, which is you know again big ly gaverage is about six and a half. That's already a really unique look. And then the run and ride that he creates from that low release point stands out. And then from there he's got this riding sweeper, he's got a cutter to bridge, and then this two polin curve, a hole mix in here and there as well as the is the change up, but it's really that fastball running and riding arm side, the sweeper the other way, and the cutter in between that I think gives him a really good three pitch mix. He's a nightmare for Righty, so gonna he's gonna need to show that he can kind of land at the curve ball and the change up a little bit more to keep left T's at bay. But this is a guy that I think already you can guarantee that he's going to be a really tough matchup for Righty's and can be effective in that role.
Speaker 3: So it's like, at least you got a swing man here.
Speaker 1: But with the unique characteristics that he brings to the table, I do think this is a guy that could be a solid, you know, big league starter as obviously he's able to keep left Tis in check and so far this year he's done a decent enough job of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Also, someone who's been was a sixteenth round pick for you know, one hundred and seventy five k bone as signing bonus, so it's not like and that was only two years ago too, so it's not like he came with high expectations and has very much, you know, blown through the miners. Honestly, his first sign of real struggle has been this year in his first triple a start, Honestly, or maybe a couple last year at the end of the year a little bit, buta like he's breezed through the minor league so far at for a guy that was two years ago, sixteen round guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's that sorely needed for the Astros yea.
Speaker 3: And the guy that probably will help them next year. Yeah, maybe maybe this year. Who knows.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say it wouldn't be crazy. I mean, he's in trips now. He's gonna have to have a couple of good starts there. But like it's possible at the end of.
Speaker 5: The year if they can need an arm because they kind of need some arms still to step up. So yep, we'll see.
Speaker 4: Next guy up comes from the Cubs organization. We're talking Brooks Cable. This is a name that's getting a little buzzy in the Cubs world. And talk about Cubs drafting man a ninth round you know, older older signing guy in twenty twenty four who has been really dominant this season. He started the year in High A, makes his way up to double recently has been awesome for the Cubs. His last four starts at double A level, he's got a two three RA on the year.
Speaker 5: He's rocking a three to one RA.
Speaker 4: Between the two levels, what you got on cable and what do you think about his makeup here and what he's done lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is another fun arm and a good ID six six thirty. But yeah, it generates plus carry on the heater. It's like nineteen inches avert from like a pretty standard release height, above average extension.
Speaker 3: So you're already pairing that.
Speaker 1: You have a ninety four nine hour fastball, so roughly average vwoh, and then you have above average carry slightly above average extension, and I think it just gets on hitters even more quickly than they'd really expect. And then you pair that with what's the one other thing that would help that fastball play up command? And he is dotting it at the top. He's also able to kind of go east west when he needs. So it's a seventy percent strike rate on the fastball so far this year. And it's not just the heater. The slider has a strike rate of around seventy percent. He's just a strike thrower period. The one other pitch that I think could come along a little bit more is the change up, but it's still close to sixty percent strike rate. But when you look at seventy percent strike rate on the heater, seventy percent.
Speaker 3: On the slider.
Speaker 1: The curveball, which is you know, also has some depth to it, is around a sixty five sixty six percent strike rate. So when you've got this field of pitch is a six to six ridy who can also kind of spin it a little bit. This is a really good idea by the Cubs. And when you have those things going for you, I just feel so good about him at least being a back into the rotation type of army, even if he's on the older side. And it comes have done this, like some of the guys that maybe get ignored by draft model because they're a little bit earlier. Maybe I always just go back to Owen Airs, But this is just another good example of a guy that like maybe was overlooked a little bit, but still with the pitch ability, could end up helping the Cubs next year. And and I just like I like all of the ingredients to be that kind of back into the rotation type of starter.
Speaker 3: And again, you can't have enough of those types of guys in your system.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty seven percent strikeout rates, seven percent walk rate.
Speaker 4: Like you said, the strike percent and strike rates are all in that upper sixties to seventy range, so that that has all the writing of at least a back end start type of guy who fills a role for your organization.
Speaker 1: And already, and remember this is a year where the ball is flying, and so the guys that are around the zone a lot, you could see those guys getting burned a little bit more. The long ball hasn't gotten him. I mean it's it's seven home runs so far the season and eighty six and the thirds innings. It's really not bad at all. Only six in South Bend or only one in South Bend and twenty one and two thirds innings, and then you know six of them in sixty four and two thirds innings, and you know in the Double A Southern League where the ball has been flying more than ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the last name up is an interesting one. Stop me if you've heard this before. The Braves just getting an arm that's kind of not really known but is kind of a dog and for jects as a decent starter at the big league level.
Speaker 5: Right, pretty familiar.
Speaker 4: Ethan Bagwell of the Braves organization unfortunately left his start last night after I already made this list of an injury, so curious to see what the deal is there. He left after an inning yesterday, but prior to that he had been on a great run. This is a high school you know, signing from twenty twenty four who last year was split between the complex and Single A, but had a pretty careful innings limits him last year.
Speaker 5: I think missed a little bit of time as well.
Speaker 4: This season starts the year in Single A. Now he's been in High A twenty starts combined. Between the two, he's got a twenty five percent strikeout race seven percent walk right. The era is under three so far this season. Threw over one hundred innings of work for a high school guy in his second full season. So somebody that seems like he's immerging right now in that Bridge system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they just do this, man, And it's part of the reason why I thought they'd be a little bit more aggressive at the deadline, Like, yeah, they got all these controllable guys up at the big league level. It's something that are like stashed up in Triple A and then you've got guys like Bagwell on the way. But you know, you can never have too much pitching and hopefully Bagwell comes back in Hell with you. This is another well release, unique guy, unique look that he's sub five foot release Bagwell.
Speaker 3: It's it's a.
Speaker 1: Four to eight release height, and despite that, he's able to kind of generate a little bit of this plenty of armside run which is natural, but like a little bit of ride to it when he needs to.
Speaker 3: The way that he works east west is just nasty. So when you're getting this like.
Speaker 1: This low three quarters release against sub five foot release and it's just kind of like a shot, he just whips it at you, almost like you're playing woo fotball and it's still, you know, ninety three miles an hour will top out in the mid nineties running in on ridies and then the sweeper away and it's it's he's got like the riding sweeper and then he's got a little bit more of a depthy like sweeping curveball, and both of those are like they kind of blend together. I don't know if there's like an intentional feel or if they're two different pitches, or if it's like, you know, just he gets over the top of it a little bit more and sometimes and other times not regardless both are nasty, Like the ones that get negative vert are nasty and the ones that ride are nasty. So I think it's intentional, but both are really effective. The depthier ones are gonna better against lefties, and I think that's gonna be the question is, like, how does he keep lefties at bay? But he's got a change up that is pretty tough to differentiate from that side arm whip around and he gets about like it's not as much velocity separation as you'd want to see, but he still gets ten inches of like vertical separation, and I think from that release point it's just really hard to differentiate, and he's flashed, you know, the ability to get more than that in terms of shape separation.
Speaker 3: So it's a weird look.
Speaker 1: And usually when you think of a guy that has that look, he'd probably struggle to throw a lot of strikes. He throws enough strikes, especially with the heater. The secondary command could come along a little bit more. He was nineteen years old at the start of the season six four two thirty. I think it's a really fun, unique arm angle with a mix that's going to be really tough from that angle and a pretty good feel to throw at worst, this guy's going to be a nasty reliever.
Speaker 3: I think that could just decimate righties.
Speaker 1: But when you're in the zone as much as he's been with the low walk rate, like this could be a really weird looking starter for you. That could be a very effective like number four type. And who knows. I mean, he's a big dude. I don't know how hard you can throw from that angle. There's a very short list of players that are sub five foot release that are throwing, you know, north of ninety three miles per hour. But that said, like, if he can find some some more velo, he's clearly got the frame for it.
Speaker 3: This could be a really weird effective mix. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The first thing I was going to ask when I was looking at his video was if it's there the breaking balls are different than two sliders, because I was wondering that, And then you hit on that perfectly there because it does look like there's room to maybe still explore some of the shape there, figure out really keep them as separate into stints pitches instead of having them blend. I think that's a very common thing for high school guys too, is to have the breaking balls if you have multiple habit kind of blend into one. It seems like he's a guy that has the ability to manipulate it enough where he could be working two true distinct breaking balls, even though he is throwing two right now, but they're a little blended. I was watching the video, I was like, those are definitely different shapes. I just I wonder thinking fully like here's one and here's the other, rather than here they are, right. So we'll see that as the progresses. But again, he's so young and he's still dearly. He didn't throw that much last year.
Speaker 5: That it's his first season.
Speaker 4: Ever throwing more than sixty innings in his life probably considering high school and last year, right.
Speaker 3: And that's only going to help his command.
Speaker 1: To know, like, hey, the slider is going to stay up and the curve ball is going to do this, and like knowing what the where it's going to end up a little bit more consistently only help him. Like you said, like we've talked about the command is pretty good. The cutter to bridge is just a great checkpoint too, you know, between the fastball and and this there's like I think sometimes things would be working too much horizontally, so to have something that can kind of stay true and just break a little bit vertically is perfect as well. Like, I'm excited to see how Bagwell continues to develop because it's just such a different and rare kind of archetype to work on with a starter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a fun, fun time plate to keep looking at. That was a good list, Vin, That was some good names, some big time names, some new names.
Speaker 5: We got it. We got a good blend in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It always is a lot of fun and I'm excited to do the next one. Next week. We'll have a bunch of new ones.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think plenty of promotion to check in on too. I think we'll see even more guys getting you know, moving up over the next few weeks. But this was a fun group. Excited again for the field of Dreams games where say tuned on socials. We'll be putting some stuff out on that, and then you know, doing a couple of other minor league stops. Now with the new draft guys, I'll be out in the Florida State League buncing around a little bit to see some of these dudes. I want to see Alexander Freez soon. I want to see Jacob b Lombard going to try to catch some of these other guys as well. As always, thank you for listening. If you leave a rating, help us grow the show, tell about subscribe on YouTube, follow our socials to call up on every platform as well, and share the show with a friend.
Speaker 3: Word of mouth is the most underrated growth engine.
Speaker 1: Look forward to talking prospects with you later this week.