Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock ACP Final Hour on this Monday, the best and worst of the weekend. Monday, your phone calls coming up? Got a new poll question? NFL preseason tonight. Can the Ravens continue their winning streak? They've won twenty four consecutive preseason games. You have to go back to twenty fifteen when they lost a preseason game. They're one and a half point favorites against Washington. We're going to Dublin tonight, and Navy is getting twenty and a half against Notre Dame next Saturday. PAULI loves to do a first half cover. Navy first half cover against Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Service academies are known for being tough in the first half. Okay, Army, just I dined out on Army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did. Paulie loved a first half cover.
Speaker 2: I think it was my biggie was h Army Lahoma. Yeah, Army at Oklahoma. They I called you at home.
Speaker 1: I call your guys, I know, PAULI goes first half cover Army Oklahoma. I go, well, what's the one I think I think it was? Was it thirty?
Speaker 2: I think it was thirty thirty and a half and it went to overtime the game?
Speaker 1: Yes, was that Baker Mayfield Junior, the third who was quarterbacking then?
Speaker 2: I don't remember if that was him? Probably?
Speaker 1: Why haven't the Buccaneers announced who their starting quarterback is? You bring in Baker Mayfield. You drafted Kyle Trask, But if you know what you have in Kyle Trask and you think he's just starting quarterback, then why would you bring in Baker Mayfield? But they haven't Raheem Morris has not named his starter, and I would think this is not a good team. How about you give i'm a little leadership direction. I'm sure that Baker Mayfield knows that he's going to be the starting quarterback. I'm not sure if you're going, hey, this is gamesmanship. Hey, we're not going to tell the opposition who our starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Is that should help.
Speaker 1: They're basically the same quarterback, but they haven't announced there and I don't know why, but they're still waiting for making this official.
Speaker 3: Yes, Mark, Are they on the New Orleans Saints level of least interesting team in the NFL this season?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, the Saints are interesting. I got Derek Carr the New Orleans Saints. Yeah, yeah, they got. I mean they're at least interesting. You're curious about Derek Carr, Thomas Alvin Kamara?
Speaker 4: Am?
Speaker 1: I aren't you? You should be? I am you should be. I would think so. Yeah, Paul, I.
Speaker 2: Know what you're saying. We love this debate because the Saints are lightly interesting because Derek David Carr. Derek Carr, if he's good, what do the the Raiders do? They let him go basically for nothing? So, but they might not be interesting for a long time. The Colts are very interesting because of the rookie quarterback early.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the Jonathan Jonathan Taylor situation the Arizona Cardinals. No, but did I say Todd Bowles Ton It's I said, yeah, Todd Bowles. Raheem Morris may announce the starting quarterback for the Buccaneers. But Todd Bowles.
Speaker 5: Well, he worked with Baker with the Rams. He's the defensive coordinator right of the Rams.
Speaker 1: Todd Bowle is going to be on the warm seat starting the season, I would think, because I don't think Tampa Bay is going to be very good. But I do think the Saints are interesting. I do.
Speaker 2: The Arizona Cardinals seem bad and uninteresting. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Who's their starting quarterback?
Speaker 2: They Kyler?
Speaker 1: But no, no, he's not starting the season. He's not healthy enough. I don't think so. But I don't know who is John Skelton still there? PAULI, you have your best and worst of the weekend. We didn't. We got to everybody but.
Speaker 2: You, Okay. My best of the weekend is Victor Hovelin the golfer. He's twenty five years old. He's best guy to not win a Major basically, but he hit a sixty one round four, sixty one, twenty eight on the back nine and win the BMW at Olympia Fields. My worst of the weekend is I make the mistake every once in a while. I don't watch a lot of preseason football on purpose because I hate reacting to it. I watch a lot of preseason football the past four days, and I find myself overreacting to every decision a coach makes. Our players make like I'm like, why is Brock Perdy in when he's injured. I know you want to get him some work, but he's running the ball, he's getting tackled, he's trying to get the first downs. That seems like a horrible decision with an injured quarterback.
Speaker 1: I saw Patrick Mahomes rolling right with four defensive guys chasing him down. He's right before the out of bounds and he throws the path. I mean, it's a great pass. I don't want that. I don't I don't need anything from Patrick Mahomes. And I know Andy Reid does this and you know this is his p that's great, But if Mahomes gets injured, what do we say? What is he doing out there? Rock Perdy? I guess you got it easing back in. He hasn't played a lot of NFL games. Got hurt last year was a great story. But I just don't need to see you out there with guys who want to take your head off because they want to make a name for themselves. They're guys who are desperate to make the roster? How can I make the roster? Did you see that hit I had on Mahomes? Yeah it was out of bounds. Yeah, but I still had a great hit on it. Or Rock Perdy got that would concern me there, Yeah, seton.
Speaker 6: And that's the other thing too, about that play with Patrick Mahomes. It's funny, is that right? He's rolling out, Just before he gets out of bounds, he jumps and throws this pass. He's got four or five defenders on him. He throws the ball into a dude who's triple covered, and it's like, look at this effort from Patrick Mahomes. That is just tremendous. If Bryce Young did that, it'd be like, what the hell.
Speaker 1: Is this doing?
Speaker 7: That's a terrible play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got all nervous watching then. I don't need Patrick Mahomes doesn't have to do anything.
Speaker 7: Just run out of bounds, that's all, that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched a lot of the New York Giants the other day, which you know, there's no reason to whatsoever against the Panthers. You know, Bryce Young, I wanted to watch a little bit of him. He wasn't in very much but I thought the Giants looked great and they got Darren Waller. You forget they got picked up Darren Waller, they got Paris Campbell. I know I'm falling, but if I didn't watch that game, I would have had no reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you did this with the Packers with Jordan Love, and now you're all in on Jordan Love.
Speaker 2: And the Giants. Yeah, it's it's exactly the opposite of why I tell people to do.
Speaker 1: But you can't fall in love, you can only have one girl. Well you how about you can have one wife and you can have girlfriends, But but you're falling in love.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna be set Packers for they're set. Yeah, it's the same thing they did with Rogers.
Speaker 1: Over under ten wins. If I said ten and a half wins for the Packers this year.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't go ten even now, I'm gonna go eleven wins.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, I think ten and seven for the Packers all goes well? Yeah, yes see.
Speaker 6: We have up there right now on the Twitter wins for Jordan Love and Paul's Packers this season right now over nine and a half under nine and a half.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's the DraftKings line is nine and a half.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but that's what we put up there.
Speaker 1: You know what probably is I would go ten.
Speaker 6: Right now, eighty three percent of the audience are taking the under.
Speaker 1: Okay, well they're not in love with love. I love love always. Yes. Colt McCoy is expected to be the Cardinals Week one starter. Colt McCoy. Colt McCoy, who might be a year younger than me. What year is this? Sult mc years? This fourteen? Colt McCoy thirty six? All right, Colt, okay, he's going to be the starting quarterback. That's gonna be. McCoy is going to be the starting in the leagues though, Yes he.
Speaker 3: Is, Holy cade McNown batman.
Speaker 1: Old McCoy, Yeah, yeah. Uh. Jake in Utah, Hi Jake. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 1: Jake?
Speaker 3: Six?
Speaker 9: Five? So I got about two worst of the weekend, kind of kind of try to piggyback off Fritzy Mason went throwing that ball or sorry, Peter Lonza thrown mason wins ball into the stands and then giving him a signed bat. That's kind of odd to get from one of your peers. As an autographed bat. And the second worst of the weekend, we had to bury my wife's dog, her childhood dog. She's now a member of the CDC two point l the Dead Doggie Club. That's kind of tough for her to go through.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, Jake, my condolences the Dead Dog Club. We've all been down that road before, haven't we anytime? Yeah? Yeah, Paulie has it not yet.
Speaker 2: Didn't have one as a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't have a dad either. There you go.
Speaker 7: Not a fun day.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: You know what one of the saddest days ever, ever, ever, ever is when you're going to take your dog in to be put down, but your dog doesn't know that he's going to be put down, but he needs to. He's, you know, he's dying, and oh my god, he thinks he's going for a walk. And you go in there and I still go back to when we had our dog Lou and we had to put him down and you take him to the vet and he's he's just holding on and we put him down on the floor and the vet goes, uh, you know, I'll let you guys have some alone time, and then he says, where's your other dog? I said, oh, he's at home, No, go get him. He needs to say goodbye to your dog. So I get in the car and go get my son's dog and I bring him back, and you know, I guess there's something magical that's going to happen, Like, you know, the older dog is dying, the younger dog is going to there and you know, lie down next to him, and my son's dog walked right, he walked around my dog that was dying, and then he lifted his leg and.
Speaker 2: Pete on him and blowing out and.
Speaker 1: My wife goes, yeah, my wife goes, We all grieve in our own ways.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I got to put a positive spin on it. It's an awkward moment.
Speaker 1: Oh, we laughed so hard and the vet came out. He goes, what what?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: And we told him the story and that was it, and then we started crying because he was going to put him down. All right. Yeah, So on.
Speaker 2: That note, how do you get from the giants to there?
Speaker 1: I think that's what the eagles are going to do to the giants this year. They're going to lift their leg and yeah, uh Dave in Arkansas, Hi, Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: They called me.
Speaker 11: Pittsburgh, Dave, And I've got the Emmy winning call right here. This is what needs to go to the nominating committee. We've heard about Crabsburg State and all, but we need to talk about the rest of the teams and their rivals in that conference, and that's the I B.
Speaker 9: S C.
Speaker 11: We we start with Chrome Tech. Christino's all too well, they're hitting mispeed. Then never know when they're going to show up. You've got University of the Modium. They've got aggressive offensive line, they know how to get they blocked up, Uh, Kopeck States, Kopeck State. They can move things on the ground.
Speaker 1: With them.
Speaker 11: The sleeper, the sleeper of the group is UTI. They've got a lot of new burn going with them and uh the IDEs they're not immune to all the realignment talk. They may be getting a new number. They make a splash wherever they go. Of course, we're talking about Austin.
Speaker 1: P that he's done it again, Pittsburgh, Dave. Uh, when when Fly Williams used to play for Austin P. Fly Williams one of the great scores in college basketball history. But the chant was the fly is open, Let's go pee good cheer, good cheer. Absolutely not as good as the cheer that I went out when we were facing this school and uh they they were they were cursing when we went on the floor, and uh, I was like, wait are they actually saying that? So it was a cheer that when we were out and then the other team came out and uh, I'm like, I don't. I don't know if you're supposed to say that in high school.
Speaker 3: Yes, Mark, So I remember you told us this off air, and I was watching a movie White Boy Rick, and they were had a roller skating rink and that came on and it was bleep, bleed bleep.
Speaker 5: I was that, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: I yeah, so here is all white team and then we're playing this all black team and the student body for this black school and they they were like, you know, cussin bla blase ble plate blae blate babe blee bla bla bla blate, going wait, you can't say that, can't you, and the principles like like, hell we can. We got blown out too, by the way.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: I was still shocked with that cheer. Yeah, more, did you put up numbers that game? I always put up numbers, but it didn't matter. It's the bottom line. I just wanted to win the game. Marvin. Wait, but I'm pretty happy.
Speaker 3: Like were you on the bus and everyone was upset, like, yeah, I put up twenty eight though.
Speaker 1: No, when when when you have one of the twenty one I had twenty one. But when you when you put up numbers and your team loses, but you're happy you put up the numbers, So you have to go over the top where you're like and then somebody will say, hey, you shouldn't feel bad. You had a good game. Yeah, but we lost. So I would be a little more dramatic instead of being like, yeah, I look pretty good there, cheerleader. Jenny Batch, you're looking at me, Yeah, I girl.
Speaker 3: You didn't go to Prome with her?
Speaker 1: DJ I did not.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 12: You're over it.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. No, I'm not. My brother brought it up to me. I saw my brother last week and he's like, whatever happened to Jenny Batch? And I go seriously and he listens to the show every day. I said, really, you know what's going on. When's the last time you saw hers that It's been a long time ago, A long time ago. I'm over all right, Andrew Whitworth, former offensive lineman. He works for Amazon Prime NFL analysts, will join us. Coming up a little bit more phone calls as well our final show before we go to Dublin. We will not be on tomorrow. We'll be traveling tonight and then setting up our show in Dublin on Tuesday. But Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, we'll be there working on the guest list. Will Farah will join us, I know Wednesday and Thursday. This is how great Will is. Will is on vacation. He's flying to Dublin on his own dime, and then he's going to stay and then he's got to fly out Friday. His dad's birthday is Saturday, so he's squeezing this in and then he's flying all day or all night to get to his dad's birthday. Pretty good stuff. We'll take a break. We'll talk some football coming up after this. Every week we talk about our friends at Panini America, the official trading cards at the Dan Patrick Show. We want you to check out their brand new NFT platform at NFT dot Panineamerica dot net. One of the kind digital cards. By the way, are we going to have our Panine Trading cards on display over in Dublin. We're gonna do something fun here. Oh okay, yeah, because we were taking pictures the other day and I thought, what are we doing this for and they said, yeah, maybe a surprise in Dublin. I go awesome. I love it. Panini America their favorite brands. Your favorite brands now is NFTs Panini NFT platform new features coming next month and the only platform where you can win physical versions of your NFTs Panini NFT trading cards, giving collectors the opportunity to pull autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, even one of one NFTs from every pack. Visit NFT dot Panini America dot net, the official trading cards and NFTs of The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. What's the poll question for the final hour?
Speaker 6: Seaton A new one up there, Dan that Paula just sent over.
Speaker 1: Okay if you.
Speaker 6: And this is why Will Ferrell is going to do the pole question in Ireland, trying to make it look bad now so make him look better later. I'm just being I'm that generous.
Speaker 1: You accomplished performer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, as a policy, I would start a rookie quarterback I picked up in round one week one, okay. Or you would start the backup and work in the rookie a month or so.
Speaker 1: In So why not have Anthony Richardson play the preseason, have Gardner Minshew play the first month of the season, and then have Anthony Richardson play. They're going to do the opposite because it feels like Colts aren't going to be great this year. Anthony Richardson could ease his way in. Andrew Whitworth, Amazon Prime Thursday Night football analyst, super Bowl champ with the Rams, and a four time Pro Bowl offensive lineman joining us on the program. Courtesy of Mattel. You got a philosophy on rookie quarterbacks there.
Speaker 13: You know, I think I agree with you. It's one of those things I think there's really not a bad decision. But you look at recent history. You know, most guys have waited, have sat out a little bit, sat from the sideline and watched some I mean, I understand with him. You know, they feel like, I don't know how competitive they're going to be this year, so why not put him in there and just learn as we go? But I kind of agree like it'd be interesting to see maybe keep him out until he gets to that point the season and then play from there, because at least then you don't start off a whole year seventeen games of him having a rough go of it, because you're going to have a learning process.
Speaker 4: You're a Peyton Manning talk about that.
Speaker 13: You hear a lot of guys you know that played early man what a grind that was, and the last thing you want is him losing any confidence at that position going into next season.
Speaker 1: What's it like when you get in the huddle and you realize that that quarterback is just nervous as can be?
Speaker 13: You know, I think for me, I mean I started off with a better quarterback, and then later in my career, Andy Dalton came in as a rookie, starting at the very beginning himself, AJ Green. I had a bunch of rookies in there, Clint Bowling, AJ Green, Andy Dalton. You know, you look around the hole, you can tell you know, I think they think sometimes that you can't see it in their eyes their voice, but you know when there's a little shakiness going on, and so I think just settling those guys in and that's where you know, Quenton Nelson, some of those guys, it's gonna be useful. Man, You're gonna have to talk life into him, continue to talk that confidence into him, because he's gonna make great plays and be on cloud nine. And then he's gonna make plays where he's gonna feel like, man, I don't know if I can do this or not. And he's gonna need veteran presence in that Hohdle to get him going each and every week. The real plays and the ebbs and flows of NFL football.
Speaker 1: I know you're looking at the preseason differently than you did when you were playing. But as an analyst, what should we take away from any performance in the preseason, good or bad?
Speaker 13: You know, I can be cynical to sometimes I get too negative on the preseason. There is plays that matter. It is good to see some guys get out there and take significant snaps. You know, Obviously my last five years of Sean, I don't think I touched the field in the preseason, but maybe once. So I'm not a huge preseason fan. I think that sometimes especially with edge rushers, corners, you know, when they're going against guys when you're talking about man to man world, living on an island, as tackles, corners, you know, edge rushers, receivers, the talent really does matter. Who you're facing matters, and so I think we can get a little too excited sometimes just seeing a great rush or a great play by tackle if he's not playing somebody who's really going to be out there on Sundays. But you know, it's good to see them produce and the show production and show what they're going to look like during the season. I think you can kind of find some clips where you say, all right, this is gonna be a problem for this guy, or you know what, if he can get to this during the season, he's gonna have success.
Speaker 1: Why does Andy Reid play Patrick Mahomes in the preseason?
Speaker 13: Andy Reid's the old school look as much fun as Andy Reid likes to have. He's got one of the toughest train camps, you know, talking to Travis and passion. This summer, I got to play golf in the American century, You know what, that's the main thing they talk about. Andy Reid doesn't play around. He likes to get after it. He likes physical practices. They hit the ground in their practices. It's not, you know, tapping off all the time. There is some real tackling that happens. I think in his mind, you have to do some of that to really have your mindset right for what the NFL season is like. And that's the way he's convinced it's done, and he's been pretty successful at it.
Speaker 1: Why don't other coaches emulate that?
Speaker 13: I think sometimes you get into all this sports science stuff that's part of this new era of football, and you can overthink every little moment, and I think some coaches it's all about how healthy can we be week one?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 13: Do I have every single guy that I want on the roster week one ready to go and healthy? And that's the only thing they think about. And I don't know if you're really ever in control of that. I think sometimes you think you are, and you think you can control it by keeping them out of preseason games or limiting the action, But then at the end of the day, there's there's some kind of consequence for that when you get into game one or two, because I know, even for me not playing in the preseason, the nerves I felt my first two games in the season, even as a sixteen fourteen to fifteen year vet, were a lot. It was more and more nerves than I normally felt going into a football game, and so you just you haven't been out there in the pads. I'm lighting it up, the lights are on, the people are screaming, and it's like there's a new energy level. So you've got to be I think able to handle that a little bit. So it's interesting that more coaches honestly aren't on more on the side of Andy Reid than the latter.
Speaker 1: How often did you go to the line of scrimmage and forget the snap count?
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, Dad, I've never false started ever, so I don't know, it's always been somebody else's fault. But you know, the quarterback's voice was weird or he kind of stuttered, it was always his fault. But I've definitely forgot this snap count many a time. For me, really, it became I started watching the screens and all these new stadiums, you can see the replays on the screens.
Speaker 4: From almost anywhere on the field.
Speaker 13: So I would be in the huddle watching the play before kind of dissecting myself, all right, this was good, that was bad, you know, or whoa, we didn't do this right, and kind of giving some feedback to guys instead of really listening.
Speaker 4: So a lot of times I broke the huddle and my left guards.
Speaker 13: Actually we're all young guys. Obviously for my last seven eight years I had them.
Speaker 4: That was their job. They learned that in training.
Speaker 13: Gamp, your job is to remind me the play and snack on scrimage because my old self has probably gone add and forgot what we were doing.
Speaker 1: He's Andrew Whitworth. He won a Super Bowl with the Rams, joining us on the behalf of Mattel. These are the little people thing that Mattel's doing, right, Yeah, little.
Speaker 13: People collect us said, I got to do this with the Super Bowl just for the game for the Eagles and Chiefs. It was amazing and such a success that we've rolled it out to the regular season.
Speaker 4: Here we are.
Speaker 13: We got every all thirty two teams that are represented. We're really excited about it. There's some really cool people in there, I mean, all different kind of figures that you're going to get in the Super Bowl. Last year you just had players from the game. This year you got your Joe Burrow, Josh Allens, von Miller's people like that. It's gonna be really exciting. I can't wait for people to get ahold of these because I know how special they are personally.
Speaker 1: The difference of what you're eating now as opposed to if you were playing this season, which how different is your diet?
Speaker 13: You know you got to be on screen ready, right, I mean the TV ads. I don't know how many pounds herby. I think it adds like twenty.
Speaker 4: Or fifty pounds. Maybe it depends.
Speaker 13: It's all about the next sizes for me, So yeah, I definitely way better, let's put it that way. I can't have as many, you know, what I've earned this meals. I have very little of those. Sitting around talking about football instead of playing it. You don't earn your calories quite as well.
Speaker 1: Well, what was your max weight that you played at?
Speaker 13: Oh early in my career, probably three sixty three fifty somewhere in there. You know, at the end of the year, I mean playing in Cincinnati a little, you know, Skyline.
Speaker 4: Chili's gold Star. You know it, weight got out of hand a little bit later in the year, let's put.
Speaker 8: It that way.
Speaker 1: But that's big. I mean, I see Joe Thomas now and if I said to somebody, you know what he used to do, they might say if he played football, maybe he was a tight end or something.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he's gotten it off and he looks great. Man kind of you hear that all the time. The big guys get smaller, the small guys get bigger. He's definitely one of those guys that's taking it all off. I mean, there's a couple guys over time. I think of Alan Fanica and Solos and Matt Kirk, but it's you know what, I'm looking forward to, eating good, staying healthy and keeping it moving.
Speaker 1: Baby, when's the last time you put on your Super Bowl ring?
Speaker 13: I actually had a chance to go the USGA Women's Amateur was here at us Women's Amateurs here at bel Air Country Club a couple of weeks ago, and I got a chance to go and do kind of the tea box for their practice rounds, and it was a lot of fun to kind of talk to all the women and ladies that were teeing off and get a chance to read him and welcome him to LA.
Speaker 4: So I wore the ring just to kind of brag a little bit it off. They loved it.
Speaker 13: It was the idea of winning the Amateur. And I happened to run into three LSU girls playing in the women's Amateur and we had a blast talking about LSU and they tried to get me to play with them. We had a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you've got your allegiance to another school. You can't play with LSU, can you?
Speaker 4: Why's that that.
Speaker 1: You would be you'd be playing with them? You're okay with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Brady, okay, uls you tiger, but in your accent's not as good as Brian Kellyes.
Speaker 13: By the way, well he's got a much better Southern lingo than I do. That was impressive. I don't know how you pulled that off. I hope that that was intentional, I'll put it that way. But they got a good football.
Speaker 4: Team this year.
Speaker 13: I'm looking forward to it. I'm pretty excited. I'm gonna get down to a game twenty year anniversary of our national championship in two thousand and three with Nick Saban.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 4: Before we getting down there.
Speaker 1: Good to talk to you, have fun with Mattel Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate them.
Speaker 1: Andrew Whitworth, a twenty twenty one older Payton NFL Man of the Year, four time Pro Bowl offensive lineman, I had one of those moments where I go did he play at Alabama? And then all of a sudden, he goes, no, why would I have a problem with l' shoot? And I'm like, okay, emy e me, Yeah, I'm Paul.
Speaker 2: You read about these guys, like these offensive linemen that have to keep their weight up where it's not like a weight problem. I read a couple of stories that, like different athletes in the summer, especially with summer workouts, NFL players that they had to eat more, and then there's another group that had to shed weight. That's got to be the weirdest thing when your career is over to try to if it's hard to lose.
Speaker 1: It, well, you get on these diets like Michael Phelps had this diet that was just crazy insane. Yeah, and so becomes a full time job eating And while people go, boy, that'd be awesome, No, you talk to them and it's like I have to do this.
Speaker 7: It feels like this, like crazy maintenance. Yeah, you know, of just always eating.
Speaker 1: But he weighed three sixty. We're not supposed to weigh three sixty. Like two sixty doesn't even sound normal. But I you know, growing up when you had a big offensive line, well, nobody weighed three hundred pounds. You know if you weighed to sixty, you'd be like, all right, got a good offensive line there. And then I mean, I don't know what the average weight of offensive linemen is right now, but I would say what two ninety feels like? Something like that. Gibbs in Virginia Beach, Hey Gibbs, welcome back, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 8: Hey Dano, y'all were talking about messy earlier. So not a great transition for me, but that's my fault, not you e me this time. But I just got back from South America with my dad. Not in the Dead Dad's Club yet, thank god. And I promise Tyler a couple of weeks ago that I would give y'all something for the man Cave, something unique and authentic from Argentina. And I'm walking the street, Stanny, and the number of messy jerseys you wouldn't believe except you look like you're on the barbie set. Because they're all pink Miami jerseys. I couldn't find a stitch of anything other than pink, and I had a feeling you didn't want to hang that in the man cave, at least not yet. I don't know. I don't know if you're fully on board.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, we just need to get it autographed by Messi.
Speaker 7: Those Miami jerseys are dope. Those are sick.
Speaker 6: And when I was in Italy I saw a bunch of them there too. They're all over the place already.
Speaker 1: Would they look cool if Messi wasn't wearing them?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, they still look good. I mean it looks better with a Messi on the back, but no, they still look good and winning.
Speaker 1: Because it strikes me as the early Tampa Bay cream Sickle Buccaneers, where they weren't any good and therefore I don't think we like the jerseys, and then all of a sudden they played better, and then we like the jerseys. It helps if you're successful, it does. What's the average weight of an NFL offensive lineman?
Speaker 2: Do you want to play the guests? The average weight of the offensive linement in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Game sounds good, Fritzy, what do you think to seventy four? Seventy four seat and no counter junior?
Speaker 6: The third I was gonna say two seventy five. I'm actually gonna go like three ten, three ten, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, think Marvin to eighty nine. I'm gonna go to eighty, PAULI, most of.
Speaker 2: You guys are way low. The lightest offensive line in the entire league on roster this year is two hundred and seventy four pounds. That's the lightest. The average weight is three hundred and fifteen pounds. That the offensive lineman.
Speaker 7: That's close.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, seat, thanks the heaviest three eighty three eighty. That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm hearing.
Speaker 13: Dang.
Speaker 6: Vince Wilfork was a big fella. Well he was defensive line defensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I just remember seeing him and just being like, man, that is a big dude.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think the biggest guy that I ever saw Joe Jacobi who played for the Washington Redskins. He was like six seven and weighed probably three hundred pounds. But as far as who's the biggest offensive lineman, like Anthony Munos. When you're around Anthony Munos. He's six ' five but he was such a great athlete, played baseball at USC but he never looked heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pauline, we went to a Miami University of Miami walked through years ago college game day stuff, and Brian McKinney was standing next to all the other offensive line. He's six eight, and he looked like the big kid. And he was with the he was six eight, three sixty listed and and he he looked.
Speaker 1: At, you know, speaking offensive lineman. This Michael Orr, the blind Side story blindsided me, Like where did this come from? And then all of a sudden, people want Sandra Bully to give back her Academy award because what's happening with the conservatorship with Michael Orr and the family, like the Touey family, Like what's going on?
Speaker 7: They do what's right?
Speaker 1: Do what's Yeah, she's gonna give it back because how does that benefit him?
Speaker 7: What does that have to do with anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pauline, Yeah, it happened last week retired NFL star Michael Orr, who supposed adoption. Whenever a story starts like that, you know there's problems. The story was the Southern family and the Blindside was the movie that came off of. He's alleging in court that they got a lot of money and made a lot of money off this movie. They're saying he didn't. They're saying they didn't make much at all. They're saying he threatened them and there's like a blackmail thing going on that he wants to can. He says he was never adopted boy. They're saying they're giving up the conservative ship of him. It's a lot of back and forth. It's unclear what the truth is in the story.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then they alleged that he said, look, I want fifteen million or I'm going public with this, and they I mean, there has to be bookkeeping on this of how much they got. I don't know if it's Jack Nicholson in Batman type of KANU reeves in the matrix where you get back end money like that, I wouldn't think so.
Speaker 2: The Towey family said they didn't make any money off the movie. They did make some money off the book because they had to cooperate with that, but they didn't have any rights to the movie. According to the family, What a shame.
Speaker 1: It was a great story, but I don't know when things turned. I don't know if maybe he was told, you know, you're getting cheated here.
Speaker 2: He was supposedly told in February of twenty twenty three that he was never adopted and it was a conservativeship, and that I guess allegedly some of the reports that that bothered him. He looked into some things and then started with the financial accusations.
Speaker 1: Fritzie just sent me something. The heaviest offensive lineman in NFL history. He played for the Lions. Aaron Gibbons.
Speaker 5: I'm not familiar with the name, but supposed to Gibson.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's Gibbons. Is Aaron Gibson, Yeah, check on that because he weighed four to ten. For some reason, I thought it was Aaron Gibson.
Speaker 7: Four ten is big.
Speaker 1: That that thank you Todd. Four ten that's a big that's heavy, Yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 2: Aaron Gibson. He was at Wisconsin years ago. He played for Detroit Cowboys, the Bears, the Bills. He was listed three seventy five.
Speaker 1: But that is Aaron Aaron Gibbons. I don't remember Aaron Gibbons. I remember Aaron Gibson.
Speaker 2: Aaron Gibson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm looking at Aaron Gibson. It says four hundred and ten pounds.
Speaker 14: In high school, Aaron Gibson weighed in at four hundred and forty pounds and holds the NFL record for being the heaviest player.
Speaker 5: At four one zero.
Speaker 1: So why did you send me Aaron Gibbons?
Speaker 5: Because I saw something that I googled and it gave me Gibbons And upon further review, whatever that site was.
Speaker 2: On further review, we should have that the.
Speaker 5: Name is actually Gibson a.
Speaker 1: Bond for the review. Andrew Wentworth did go to LSU. We should do that with mist on further review.
Speaker 7: Why can't I play with.
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then he's looking at me like, wait, you may do you forget where I went to school? For some reason, I thought he went to Alabama? Who was the big who was the offensive lineman who had his shirt off during the combine? No, No, Andrew, wasn't he from Alabama?
Speaker 2: Smith Andrews.
Speaker 1: Wasn't there a guy at the combine? He took his shirt off and I thought he was drafted by the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Smith.
Speaker 7: Let me google shirts at the combine?
Speaker 1: Rich Eisen comes up? Uh, what was his name? First round draft pick out of Alabama and Smith. Andre Smith, Right, okay, he went to Alabama.
Speaker 3: Those guys are like twins.
Speaker 1: He went to Alabama, right, he did no relation okay to Andrew Whinwer.
Speaker 7: I checked anyway, in case you were wondering.
Speaker 6: When you google shirtless men at Combine, the first article that comes up is Tom Brady making fun of himself. The second article is Pete Carroll talking about that time DK Metcalf took his shirt.
Speaker 1: Off in front of them.
Speaker 7: And then Andre Smith running the forties.
Speaker 1: Right, I like you there we go? All right, Well, take a break, last call for phone calls? What we learn, what's in store tomorrow? Thank you for taking me up on the offer. Innovation Refunds has been helping small businesses that qualify for a business payroll tax refund through the Employee Retention Credit or also known as the ERC. If you own a business and you have more than five employees, you could have money waiting for you to be claimed. If your CPA said that you might not qualify for the ERC, it might be worth getting a second opinion. Innovation Refunds doesn't provide tax or legal advice, but they work with independent tax professionals. They'll share the information and let you know if they can process your claims. Helping eligible businesses claim their ERC tax refunds. Since twenty twenty one, they've returned over a billion dollars and there's no mot front charts. They don't get paid unless you get paid. You have to get started by going to Innovation Refunds dot com call one eight four three refunds one eight four to three refunds, or you can go to Innovation Refunds dot Com Innovation Refunds dot com. Good Luck. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 12: Is Mike Karmen. I'm Dan Byern. We have a brand new fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flex. Twice a week, every Tuesday and Friday, we come up with new episodes to not only look back at what happened, what you need to do at that minute, and also look ahead of what's coming up in the fantasy football world.
Speaker 10: That's right, Dan. Every week we're going to scour the waiver Wire to find the pick to turbot boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 12: Listened to I Want Your Flex with Mike Carmon and met Dan Byer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: I went to a concert where the former lead singer Foreigner Lou Graham was singing performing sounded great. I think he's seventy three years of age, and I told him they should be in the rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He said, it's a long story. They're not going to get into the rock and roll Hall of Fame. I said, okay, I'll turn my attention to Kenny Anderson, the Bengals quarterback, and Ricky Waters, the former running back. Anybody else we want to get into any hall of Fames or halls of fame. Oh man, Yeah, I wonder what the long story is. I didn't ask. I just figured, you know, when you're with each other for decades like that, and then you break apart, and then it's just there's a lot of That's why it's amazing some of these bands that they're able to stay together for decades, you know, Jagger and Richard's, you know the Stones, you know, until Charlie died, but they stayed together and putting up. I would think with an ego like Mick constantly, but Keith had feels like he would just kind of jab him a little bit. But hey, Keith, you know, Keith realized mixed the star. Let him be the star. But some of these bands, you two has been able to, you know, stay friends for decades. There you're with each other on on the road, you would just get on each other's nerves. I mean, we get on each other's nerves. And we're only here together, you know, four or five hours a day. Imagine you were traveling, you know, rehearsal, sound check as.
Speaker 2: I imagine the time you're on stage playing is the easiest part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think that that would Although Fleetwood Mac when Lindsey Buckingham and tv Nicks when they were last performing, they would do their song where it was about their breakup and then they they sounded like they hated each other on stage, which made it even better. With that song. This day in sports history, Paulie.
Speaker 2: Got a couple the Chicago Cardinals football team in nineteen twenty nine traveled up town for training camp. They set up shop elsewhere, first pro team to do that. Victoria Roache, reserve outfielder, became the first girl ever to compete in a Little League World Series. That was nineteen eighty four. In two thousand and nine, the Dallas Cowboys played their first game at the New STATEUM Arlington, Texas and guess what happened during that game? The scoreboard was hit by the punter of the Tennessee Titans. Right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's annoying being in that stadium because that jumbo tron is just so large, Like you're constantly looking up and if your seats are down lower, you're looking up. At the end of the day, after the end of the game, you're like, damn need a massage here.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have an Ireland question for the when we return next Monday and recap our week in Ireland. Yeah, the lead story will be what or whom.
Speaker 4: Ritzy?
Speaker 6: Really, the question is are the better odds right now that the lead story is about Todd or about Will?
Speaker 7: Are we coming back talking about Will Ferrell? Are we coming back talk about something Todd or other?
Speaker 6: It kind of feels like like betting on Todd right now is like betting on Patrick Mahomes the MVP. Yeah right, it's kind of the easy thing. Yeah, sure, Todd, I'd say Todd, Yeah, safe bet Yeah. Rocky in South Carolina, Hey Rock what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Hello?
Speaker 15: Dan and safe travels to Ireland. First time I called six fifty.
Speaker 4: I got a story.
Speaker 15: Spring of nineteen eighty four, I will be quick. It was a conclusion of our college basketball season. It was actually my senior year. We took a trip to Doublin to play in an international basketball tournament over there.
Speaker 4: So we went over.
Speaker 15: We were there for like ten days, including London. But we found a pub, at least the first one we went to, and a few blocks down so we could walk to it, and you know, you got a bunch of you know, college American basketball players su as we walked in there.
Speaker 4: Of course, all lives.
Speaker 15: Come in and Dan, we never found another pub that we wanted to go to, and that's the only one we went to. And those guys you find out we're college kids, and they're like, you talk to them, Well, I got to go back to work, and I'm like, what a country live in? Found a few peers go back to work.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we're going to pick one pub but if you follow us on social media, we'll let you know when we'll be out. We've got a couple of things we have to do with some clients, but we'll let you know. And if you're over there, make sure if you haven't downloaded Peacock, please do you'll be able to watch the show and listen to the show. Dublin, Let's go around the room. What we learned with the program? Todd? Would you learn Foreigner.
Speaker 5: Might be the Ricky Waters of musicians not in the rock and.
Speaker 1: Roll of See O'Connor.
Speaker 7: Chris Kylesworth says it's time Bengals are winning the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: All right, Marvin NBC Woll played the Cowboys seventeen games.
Speaker 2: If they could, you know they could, they would, Pauling Row nine is gonna be really interesting tonight, Todd.
Speaker 1: What did I learn?
Speaker 14: The Ravens haven't lost a preseason against their last exhibition game of twenty fifteen against Atlanta.
Speaker 1: What we learned brought to you by the hottest Rookie's biggest superstars, the Old Time Greats. The only place to collect them all. Panine trading cards, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show for instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts in more starter continued collection now Canadian America dot Net. We're off to Dublin. We're going to be off on Tuesday, but ready to go on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We hope you'll join us. Our starting lineup Fritzy Seaton, Marv Paully and soon to be Will Ferrell. Have a great day, everybody. One more item is we close out the sho show. We've been waiting for this. It's arrived. College football is back, and so are the traditions, the tailgates and the great offers from DraftKings Sportsbook. Right now, new customers can score two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when they bet just five dollars on any college football bet I mentioned earlier. Notre Dame is giving twenty and a half to Navy in the game against Notre Dame in Dublin this Saturday. Kick off the season with DraftKings Sports Book. Download the app now use the code Patrick. New customers can score two hundred dollars and bonus bets instantly. They placed just five dollars on any college football bet only on DraftKings sports book with the code Patrick Fritzi.
Speaker 14: Twenty one and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven to seven eight hope and WY.
Speaker 5: Or text hope and Y four six seven three sixty nine.
Speaker 14: Bonus issued is free bets one early win token issued at Opton money line bets only. Depositive wagering restrictions apply. Eligibility in terms of DraftKings dot com slash football terms