Speaker 1: Man, what's hand him? Man? You got Marshawn Bismall Lynch.
Speaker 2: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Knewsome and you're listening.
Speaker 3: To politickets you know to be you known to be.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: Coming up next, Doug and Marshaun, We've got George Lopez. Doug, how the hell did we all meet George, you're the one who introduced all of us.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: I met George initially through our good friend Pat Monahan, lead singer Train and George became good friends when I brought him to the Raider game.
Speaker 7: And guess who picked them up? Me and you? And then we went to the Raider game.
Speaker 5: You said you got a surprised guest and we just need to pick him up.
Speaker 2: I was all bummed out.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I want to get to the game, Doug, and we had to go off site pick him up. I'm like, oh, there's George Lopez. What a coincidence? And you said, no, that's who we're picking up. And he had a couple of friends, and we threw in the back of the car and made our way over to the Raider game. And by the way, what a phenomenon just walking around that Raiders game with George and I mean you talk about ninety nine percent approval rating, that's George Lopez at a Raider game.
Speaker 7: No, it was nuts.
Speaker 6: And then after the game we went to Marshaun's store and uh, we had some tequilas and had a good time.
Speaker 1: And the rest is history.
Speaker 7: And here we are today on politicking.
Speaker 3: The minute I saw you guys had a podcast, I'm like, well, I'll be expecting a call from the governor.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna?
Speaker 2: Were you singing?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: What do you got?
Speaker 2: You got a song for us?
Speaker 7: Well, listen, Gavin and more Shawn.
Speaker 6: We want to welcome literally one of the funniest comedians of all time, a legitimate A list movie star, a TV star from the George Lopez Show, Lopez Tonight and now currently Lopez v. Lopez, an avid golfer, a kick ass massive Raider fan, great friend of all of us. In the Hollywood Walk of Fame, in the California Hall of that you reducted into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my god, the peak of your existence.
Speaker 6: George, Welcome to politicket man. We're excited to have you.
Speaker 4: Bud. Yeah, thank you, I'm excited to be here. Good to see your.
Speaker 7: Brother, Well, Rub, is that George that's a great room right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, you know I sold flowers when I was fifteen to try to raise one hundred bucks to buy buy a guitar. And because all my friends were buying guitars and stuff, and I, uh, instead of friends, I think I went and had Yeah, damn real guitarist.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I was friends with Eddie van Halen. And this black guitar right here is one of four.
Speaker 4: It was one of his.
Speaker 7: Wow, I like it.
Speaker 3: There's some shit goes down. I grab that one and get out of the house.
Speaker 7: Let me take you back, George.
Speaker 6: One of the things we talked about in the show is, you know, people's upbringings and how they get you know, how more Shaan got to where he's out today and other people and whatnot. You know, obviously it's documented, but you know your mom left you, your dad left you, and you could and you ended up where you're.
Speaker 1: I thought you said you was finna give a good introduction.
Speaker 7: They ain't the room, just come only.
Speaker 4: I didn't need them, you know, I didn't need them.
Speaker 8: Hey, man, make the motherfucker feel comfortable before you get me.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm talking about God damn.
Speaker 4: George.
Speaker 3: If I went to go get the guitar where that ship was going down.
Speaker 1: But okay, ship, but.
Speaker 3: You know before before like people can manifest things. It depends, you know, everybody has the mind. As long as you have a mind, you have the ability to change things. You have ability to move yourself forward, you have ability to be in or out, you know. And and I spent a lot of time by myself.
Speaker 4: I was an only child.
Speaker 3: Even today, I don't talk to my family. I don't, I don't, you know, they weren't very nice to me. And I would watch TV and I would you know, I watched Red Fox Tonight's show in seventy three. Freddy Prince became like a huge influence to me. Pastor committed suicide at seventy seven. And then in two thousand and six, before I went into the Walk of Fame, I said, you know, if Freddy Prince doesn't go in, I'm not going in, you know. So they got him in there and his family was there. And when I was a kid watching Chico on the Man on Friday after Sanford and Son at eight thirty, My time spot October eighteenth is the same time spot that Chico on the Man had in nineteen seventy four and now I have it in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 5: You got I mean, so you you just got to know Freddy I mean on the TV, but you guys, you guys, you got to know him personally.
Speaker 3: Imagine the sun, No, the sun, there's a whole Listen.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm a strange cat man.
Speaker 3: I would go to Forrest Lawn and I would just I don't know if I would pray or I would just wish I was in high school that things would.
Speaker 4: Go my way.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't really know. I mean, I wasn't the smartest, you know kid, and.
Speaker 4: I ended up. I ended up, you know, Latinos, if anything's loose, you know, it was already loose.
Speaker 3: I stole his headstone. I stole Freddy Prince headstone in like nineteen seventy eighth. It was already loose.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, so.
Speaker 3: I used it as incentive to to to think that I could become a comedian, that I could be successful. And the day that I got him the star in the Walk of Fame, I think I closed that circle of of of fellay. Theft from a cemetery, and.
Speaker 2: But I mean I thought, you were being figuredive.
Speaker 5: You literally took the damn You took the actual headstone.
Speaker 2: Where the hell did you put it? Where is it? You still have it?
Speaker 4: I still have it? Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: And the craziest probably one with my grandmother to thrifty mark and you have all the tabloids, you know, at the checkout stand and there was a glow and there was Freddy Prince's mom and it said grave robbers are trying to steal my son.
Speaker 1: That was me, Oh shit, So you being making headlines forever?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, you know when when you when you feel hopeless, man, I mean, how hopeless you have to be that you stole a headstone in order to motivate you.
Speaker 5: Wait, whatever it takes, whatever it takes, I mean, but when you took I mean, did I hear you right?
Speaker 2: You said you still have the damn thing.
Speaker 3: I still have the same thing, but I still have it. But me going in before Freddy Prince had forgotten about him, but putting him in the walk of family, then me going in was my way of saying, you know, sorry, I took the headstone, but you know I can tell I needed it more than it needed to be on that in that vault.
Speaker 5: So man, he was so he was I mean, is that in della? I mean so that if you look back, I mean there was no sort of more. I mean now, he was it.
Speaker 2: He was the guy.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 5: He was for you, this sort of manifestation you talk about manifesting it and.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I would be drinking with my friends in high school, man, and you know at some point, you know, uh, whenever when the first Latino says I'm not afraid to die. You know, everybody's had too much, you know, And I always got like, hey, you know what, man, I'm not afraid to die, Like all right, but I would I would, I would get I would get sad and I would cry about Freddie Prince because I was like, I was seventeen eighteen and I would be crying and my friends would be.
Speaker 4: Like, what the fuck is this dude's thing?
Speaker 3: Man, Like like, hey, man, I'm not sure if that's like healthy or what you got going on? But I mean, you, dude, you you gotta get you didn't even know him, right, I said, no, I mean it was it was. It was pretty bad. I still love him, but I don't think I I don't think I'd do that anymore. But I appreciate what he gave me and what he gave me, uh, and what I needed to get to a level where, you know, when nobody believes in you, you find you find solace in a in a in a cemetery of Marker. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So George, in high school, were you doing you know, comedy classes? Were you doing acting? What were you doing in high school?
Speaker 4: You know, I played baseball, you know at San Fernando High.
Speaker 3: You know the Charles White, all the Williams brothers, Manford Moore. So so USC had the pipeline to uh, San Fernando, Hia.
Speaker 4: A lot of guys came out of there.
Speaker 3: So uh there was this captain kangaroo looking teacher that was the drama teacher at San Fernando High, mister Schaeffer, and Uh I had seen that he was a comedian and he had performed at Coconut Grove in the Ambassador where Robert Kennedy had gotten shot there.
Speaker 4: So I went to him.
Speaker 3: I went into the side door, and you know, he was teaching a class. So I'm there, you see my silhouette. He's like, can I help you? I said no, no, I'll come back, and he's like, what what what can I do for you? I said, uh, you know, I heard that you were a comedian. You know, I want to be a comedian. And this this, this guy says to me, So do you think that it's it's it's uh that I take time away from my class to teach you about stand up?
Speaker 4: Stand up?
Speaker 3: You can't teach stand if you have to do it. You know, you think that I should take time away from this class in order to test said no, no, I said no, I'm sorry. I even came in here, you know. And this guy man just like man, tore into me, you know, and and uh.
Speaker 7: What a fucking dream killer?
Speaker 3: George jeeseus before my book while Your Crime was on the best seller list, and I put him in there and I told him to go fuck himself.
Speaker 4: In my book.
Speaker 7: Well, let's say his name again. What's his name?
Speaker 4: His name and mister Shaffer, he was.
Speaker 7: A nay, mister Shaffer, go fuss.
Speaker 1: Everybody had a teacher name mister Seffer.
Speaker 3: I would only say for somebody to go fuck themselves. And that's like, that's that's my line right there. You know a lot of people don't believe. And that's fine, who's to say. But when it does happen, people go silent. You know, nobody, you know, more people call me if things go bad than when things go good. And culturally that's a terrible thing to be around.
Speaker 2: But George, I wonder.
Speaker 5: I mean, in hindsight, I imagine it had to be a hell of a motivator at the same time, right them wrong, Get him in a goddamn book, keep going the grit, have him in the back of your mind all your life.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, when I was doing my first show, the woman who played my mom came into into my dress room one time and she's like, uh, can I a see a quick because you know it's can mean nobody ever heard of me really, And she goes, uh, what what motivates you? You know what, what what motivates you? And I said spikee And she's like, you know, that's not really healthy. And I said, hey, it got us, it got us here, and she's like, yeah, So I think I don't know a spite so much anymore. But in the beginning, I felt like everybody was against me, and that's the way I had to feel in order to succeed. If I felt well, I just had you just have.
Speaker 4: To feel like you have Well, I didn't have any other options.
Speaker 3: But I don't know why I made myself feel like I had any but I may I made I put myself in an adversarial position in order to dig myself out of that.
Speaker 2: How the hell do you?
Speaker 5: Was there anything or anybody after that experience that motivated you or got you back on.
Speaker 2: I gave you that sense of confidence.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: My baseball coach, when I was getting ready to graduate, we had done a car wash in order to raise money to get equipment, you know, and I hadn't sold.
Speaker 4: I was never I was. I was shy.
Speaker 3: I wasn't a guy to go knocking asking people if they could buy car wash tickets. So when I gave him the tickets back, he said, you owe me two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: I said for what?
Speaker 3: For the tickets you didn't sell? I said, I didn't sell any Yeah, but you took them. You're liable for the two fifty. I said, I'm not giving you any money, you know. And he and I when nose to nose, I was like seventeen, and he told me, you know, you're a quitter and when times get tough, you quit. And I'd like to see where you are in ten years.
Speaker 4: I just see where you are.
Speaker 3: In fifteen years. Because when shake is tough, you pack it in. You pack it in because it's too tough for you. And when the shiit is tough, you quit. And I was like, is that right? And we're like this, and I remember I turned around and my friends were like, I couldn't believe it. A teacher and a student going nose to nose. And you know, when I started playing golf in nineteen eighty one, and golf is hard to play, I would pick my ball up and.
Speaker 4: I would tell this guy, say, man, I'm leaving. Where you going? I'm going?
Speaker 3: You know, I forgot I had to go do something. But I was quitting because it was tough. And then one day in the car, like in those movies, his head showed up like in the movies, and I pulled over to the side of the road and I said, shit, this guy was right. And I went back to the high school. He was still coaching, and I went and apologized to him, maybe the only person I'd ever apologized to in my life, because we would just pretend people didn't exist if you didn't agree with him. And and I went back there and he said, what do you What are you doing there? I said, hey, man, I came to apologize to you for the way that I treated you when I was here. And then I went over the stuff and he shook my hand and he said, you know, that might be hope for you, but in all honesty, I don't think. I don't think I could have gone forward if I knew that that guy was right and I didn't go over there and apologize.
Speaker 1: To him that I love that dude.
Speaker 3: That was never a guy that would be by the you know, that's hey, that's a you know, that's the main thing to do. I was always looking to not be responsible.
Speaker 5: When did when did you start realizing you had the chops for comedy? Where you were like, man, this I mean were you? I mean, if you weren't up on stage, you were just John with your friends and full shitting and just trying to you know what we were you that class clown.
Speaker 4: Guy or what was on the way to school?
Speaker 3: You know, uh, you know a guy would be how many get out of my gout it? So as soon as that guy was done talking, I would say to my friends, how about to get out. I could do the voices of everybody that that was in the neighborhood. Get out of here, stop, you know. And uh so those guys were they were tripping, man like, they were like, man, trust.
Speaker 4: Could do anybody's voice. Man he o. Yeah, it was fun. It was fun.
Speaker 3: And you know, those and those guys like, you know, I'm still friends with a lot of a lot.
Speaker 4: Of the guys, you know, and uh.
Speaker 3: You know, to look back, you know, to look back and see that everything that I've wanted to do I've done is pretty wild, especially because you know, I was never a student that I mean, I knew when I was eleven I wasn't going to college. But it doesn't mean that I was worthless, you know. I just made my work somewhere else.
Speaker 5: What was there a point when, I mean it was obviously the high school years, but in early years in twenties or something where you're like, man, now I've made it, or at least I know I'm on a path. Man, I'm on the other side of any doubt. I'm on the other side of that asshole that was telling me I'm never going to mount the shit.
Speaker 3: You know, I was working. You know, I live with my grandmother. You know my grandmother. I tell everybody for Latinos I moved out of I was thirty three when I moved out. You know, just a boy. You know, nobody ever wants to nobody ever wants to leave. You know, when I was a teenager, my grandfather said to me, I'm going to charge you fifty dollars a month rent so that you understand what it's like to pay rent and what it's like to have obligations. And when he died in eighty eight, I owed him twenty eight dollars in rent.
Speaker 6: Hey, George, I think one of the coolest moments here with Marshawn is I remember, you know, he's playing the Raiders and I get connected with you through our mutual friend and great friend Pat Montann from Train and you come to the game and then we meet. You see Marshawn before the game, meeting for the first time. And then you know, after the game, we go to a store in Oakland. Just a epic, epic day. But then even fast forward about eight ten years later, he's in your show, correct and Marshawn take me through that because I know that George has always been an idol to you in terms of everything, and your mom. Take me through that day when you met him, Marshawn, as well as the day you came on set.
Speaker 8: Man, it's all a funny because we was talking about that one to the to do the show, and my mama was all, that's George, George, and George was you know what I mean, really really fucking nice to my mom. And I'm like, George, you know what back in Yeah, No.
Speaker 4: I told her mom.
Speaker 1: I told you my mama hot and ship man.
Speaker 3: I said, Mama, you want some champagne marshall and said, you trying to.
Speaker 1: Get my mama trying to get my mama drunk? What the fuck going on?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: What the fuck?
Speaker 8: And you know, my mama is a motherfucking comedy junkie. And I swear that she just like, you know what I mean, if anybody know my mom or whatever met my mom, she just got that that that motherly figure. And it got to a point where my mom calls, oh, George intown, I'm just gonna call your like, Mama, don't call that.
Speaker 1: No, No, he said, it's cool.
Speaker 7: I could call him.
Speaker 8: So every time she go and pop out at a show, you know. I mean, they make sure to send me a picture or FaceTime me hey. And I know for a fact though my mom in good hands. Whenever she's around George always make her feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: And I I mean, I know, ad.
Speaker 4: Vice, but yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: But Marshaan doing our show is you know, you know, when you're when you're on TV, man, like you're always looking for advantages. And I mean, to have Marshan do that show about the Raiders and about my love of the Raiders, and it's just man, I mean, it just gives us so much credibility. Like already we became the show that people already start to guest star, you know, want a guest star on, and you know, Marshaan's and in addition to some great, great people that have been friends of mine. And when you call them, I mean, I wouldn't have asked, you know, but they were like, I think we would do a show about the Raiders, you think, And I said, ask Marshan, And I mean the fact that you know, somebody like him would come and be there and it was just I mean, and he was great. It was great, not I mean, and you know that that was that was for sure. That was a fucking highlight for me.
Speaker 8: But I think my biggest highlight, which you have, being when uh wheel was on the fucking sideline and.
Speaker 1: He like, man, let me let me try that helmet on.
Speaker 8: You put the helmet on with the visor. I'm like, oh yeah, man, that ship was that ship was big. I don't know, I got the picture somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Marshall, what is this during one of one of your games, you just go to the sideline.
Speaker 1: On the sideline of the game. I told him, hit go in there and get a couple of plays.
Speaker 3: See what you got?
Speaker 4: See what you got? Man?
Speaker 6: Well, remember we all had we all had the We all spent in New Mexico, Mexico City together and Anthony, your buddy Anthony Anderson, was a couple of weeks ago, so we talked about that as well. But me, you Gavin watching more Shawn in Mexico City was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Marshawn almost crashed out, but he came over to hello to me and he hit some some some uh palettes that had AstroTurf on.
Speaker 1: Remember that, Marshall, Oh yeah, I almost bust my an.
Speaker 5: He couldn't, George, he couldn't handle the elevation and in Mexico City, he was complaining the night before that he couldn't even get up the stairs because he was.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you a question, George.
Speaker 6: I know it's well documented, but in June, you had that show with the Casino, and it's interesting now everything's changed now with with society and and disrespecting people, being nuts and whatnot. So take me through when you're on stage and when when you had a heckler at the casino at your show starts yelling at you and saying dumb stuff and you walked off.
Speaker 7: Correct, it was more.
Speaker 4: Than just one. And you know, I tried to get him to be calm.
Speaker 3: You know, if I can't talk and nobody's listening, and then you know, there's no reason to be there. So so I must have said three times, hey, you guys, you know, you guys need to, you know, get it together here.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't go forward, man, you know. And then I mean, I'm sure they were happy to see me. I was happy to be there, but it just got to be uh where they just wouldn't be quiet. There wasn't any sense in talking. It just would get just get out of control. And I was like, you know, if they're not going to respect what I do, then I'm I'm gonna cut out.
Speaker 6: Did this happened though, five ten years ago as well with Eddie Murphy and you and other comedian Did this happen back in the day or is it more recently now where these guys think they can come in and pay the ticket and yell at people.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I'm not sure if that's the case, but you know a lot of comedians now, younger guys, they make their like bones by talking to the audience, like I don't you know, I never really kind of did, but a lot of guys like that guy Matt Rife and those guys like those guys, that's their whole act is talking to the audience. And when the audience thinks that they're part of the show, then they want to yell out. And you know, I think people were over served and and all of that. But you know, I'm as much to blame as as they are, but I just didn't see it a way forward. So you'll take the responsibility. But also, you should never be where you're not respected, no matter where it is.
Speaker 5: George, is that I mean, you know, with dougs. I guess implying to is I mean, you see a coarseness that's developed over the years. I mean just we see society obviously, but you see it inside when you're I mean in the rooms, when you're doing your craft.
Speaker 3: You know what, I would hate to think that, you know, I mean, you grow up that way, but I would hate to think that this is what's in people's hearts. You know, I think X and Instagram. It's a lot of negativity, you know, just I mean, if you don't agree politically, or you don't agree with labor, or you don't agree with whatever, you know, fine, but you know you go, you fucking go back to Mexico, you fucking wet back. You're just like, man, this is just like really like is that is that? Where is that? Where people are?
Speaker 4: Man? It's just like wow, man, I mean.
Speaker 3: That that if that's what's in people's hearts. Man, I think as a world, man, we're we're done for man, I mean, get you get all of that stuff. Rarely does anybody say like, hey, you know, I appreciate you for who you are and what you what you've accomplished, or what you've given me and maybe my family laugh that those stuff is just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 8: So me and me and Gavin talk a lot about that ship considering like you know, they asked me about when you go to away games and you know the fans, you know how they how they treat you and ship and you know, just you know, hollering that gap like yeah when I walk through uh ship, you know, crowded places and ship and how people come and approach and I mean, uh attack you and ship like that.
Speaker 1: It's it's more so like like God.
Speaker 8: Damn, like this the only thing that you see for me or you know what I mean, you won't for me. You get your opportunity, you know, I mean to have that that moment with me, and this is the route that you choose to take. Like it's a it's a little fucked up feeling like like damn, I you know, I try to do a good thing here, but you want to turn it so fucking wicked, Like I have that side if that's the.
Speaker 1: One that you want to you know what I mean to get to.
Speaker 8: But I was, I was, I was uh somebody had you know, put a bug in my ear that uh you know, you had a situation with uh previous governor. So Gavin, you might want to tread it lightly, but you know, I mean you had you had some ship going on with uh with Arnold?
Speaker 2: Oh man, did you guys get into it?
Speaker 3: Arnold was for English only, and I was like, dude, you don't speak English. He was for migrants, like getting an idea. I'm like, I'm like, what I like, dods, you ran into it.
Speaker 1: You ran into him a boxing mattress.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh my god. I got the box fact Weather and uh uh uh uh Shane Mosley and there's two empty seats next to me. I'm like, I won, I was gonna sit here, and uh I look up at ARNI swots that can see next to me as Sir Patrick, and I said, oh, this is a little bit awkward. He goes, no this I know. You say FTP to me. Fuck that book, I know. And I was like and then they put the camera on me and people went crazy and they put the about him and they started like oh and then I lean knew.
Speaker 4: This cameraut one like this. I was in front of his camera. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Me and him would go around and round. We did a thing with Cleon Eastwood and he was like, I want to thank you tonight though. It's been great, George, thank you for your comedy. And he's like silent, you know, I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 8: Oh shit, no, man, George, you would have had to call the reinforcement in on that one, because that's a big motherfucker.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, that's crazy though, because you don't think that that's gonna be him. I'm like, I won, who's gonna sit in these two seats? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Damn, man, I look over there. He is like, Oh, it's a little bit awkward.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know, George.
Speaker 6: You've never been afraid to speak in your mind, which I appreciate.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 6: You've been that way the whole time, and I love that about you. And you're not afraid to do that unapologetically. And even I remember when Gavin got elected governor, you call him and say, hey, what's about what about this?
Speaker 7: What about this? What can we do better?
Speaker 6: And I appreciate that mindset you have because most people don't have that. But you're you're unapologetically honest at all times, which I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I I uh, I don't know if I was always that way, you know. In two thousand and seven, on Father's Day I played. It tells you what kind of fathers we both were. I played with Donald Trump and Bedminster at his course, and he came in on a helicopter. You know, I said, hey, you need a right out there, came in a helicopter and uh uh after we went.
Speaker 4: To go eat.
Speaker 3: Of course, he orders without us, you know, he just he just he just orders without us even looking at the menu. Uh. And he's he's got this long brought worst with like a pound of he's put just like putting on this muscle busy at his country club and Bedminster, right, So so all of a sudden, the kitchen doors open and these Latinos come in with like a board of like steak and shrimp, and come all the people, the gayo tortillas and and Trump is like what what what's all this? And the guys like, uh, senor Trump, you know, George Lopez, and he's like wait, wait, wait a minute. So when Trump is here, Trump doesn't get this, but when George Lope is here, George Lopez gets all this. The guy's like, let's say you're a Trump George Lopez. He goes bye bye. I just want to understand. So I got a broad worst and then George Lopez, the guys like it's spacially pink Trump. George Lopez. You know, all the staff came all the staff came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just love to you.
Speaker 3: Hey, but listen this dude, man, you cheating golf, You're cheating life.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know there's the only cheating from yourself. This dude.
Speaker 3: I was on the eighteenth hole. He and I were playing these other two guys and I'm in the sand trap and I was getting ready to hit. He throws a t in the sand trap. He goes, tee it up. They're not looking. I'm like, yeah, I think so tear it up. I mean, I've had my things with you know, and more so, you know, like.
Speaker 4: When I believe that I have to be the person.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of there are a lot of Latinos that went silent during the Trump things, you know, but I didn't, and I think it cost me a significant amount of audience. But there was no way, almost like going back to high school, There's no way that I was gonna let this this guy say those things about us culturally and not and not be able to say something, you know, I said you know, if they're going to build a wall, they better build it in a day, because if they leave the material out overnight, that should'll be gone.
Speaker 4: I mean I.
Speaker 3: Said, well, I mean, I said, well, take your beer if you put it down. Hey, the Secret Service came to my he came to this house. The Secret Service said to me. They said they had. First of all, they have I mean, you know, Gavin, they have everything you've ever put on social media at their disposal. So before we get into it, they said, do you remember retweeting a picture of El Choppo holding the head of Donald Trump? And you know, you know, I'm trying to be all like Ben had my attorney right there, trying to be all stupid.
Speaker 4: I'm like el Shop Shop.
Speaker 3: I'm like, and see one of the Fantastic Four. They go like, no, no, no, open the briefcase. They show it to me. I'm like, oh, oh, all right, and then the guys, the Secret Service agent says to me, do you think that this is funny?
Speaker 4: And my attorney's like, don't answer that.
Speaker 3: And I was like, uh, I got to tell you. When I did it, I thought it was funny, But right now I don't.
Speaker 4: See any humor in it.
Speaker 3: When I retweeted it, I thought it was right now.
Speaker 5: Nothing, by the way, what what what did they follow up with you?
Speaker 4: That was it?
Speaker 5: I mean, that would scare the hell out anyone, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, they came, they said, they said, they they said they came to to see whether I was a threat to the president. And and uh, you know what got me in trouble was that Iran had offered a eighty i'll say alleged eighty million dollar bounty for Trump. And on Instagram, I put in there, we'll do it for half. I started this whole thing. And then and then the the they consider that a threat against a thing. So I told the Secret Service agent, I said, I said, listen, man if and the lawyers like, don't answer that. I said, hey, wait, wait a minute, I said, I said, I said, what you take as a threat to me in my culture, it's more of an estimate.
Speaker 4: I said. If you can find somebody to do it cheaper, hire them.
Speaker 3: That's just that's just my They didn't think that should be funny at all.
Speaker 6: Georgia, are you still as vocal now as we get into November now as you were?
Speaker 4: No? I don't think I am.
Speaker 3: I think you know, I think that if it's required, I will I will be But I think that I don't think it's it's required as much, you know, And you know, I'm a comedian, you know, I'm not malicious. I mean, I'm just you know, that's just what we do. You know, it's just what what it is, you know, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's I mean, it's I mean just on that that that severed head stuff Kathy Griffin. I mean, she paid a huge price for that as well. So I mean this stuff serious. I mean in the context obviously, you know, I mean we could talk about this, you know, spare me this stuff that Donald Trump retweets, so we can get into that.
Speaker 2: That's a whole nother suit.
Speaker 3: Then we also also it's crazy, man, because the Secret Service, they said, maybe you'd like to take a look at this paper, you know, you bring out this paper, am I attorney looks at it. He goes, what are I signing this? And I go what is it? And he goes, it's the It's it's them allowing the government to access all of your medical history and all your family's medical history. And I said, I thought, you guys do that already, And they were like no, no. And then I told the Secret SERVI I said, does anybody ever sign that? And he goes, no, By the way, did did George?
Speaker 2: I'm surprised. I mean, knowing Donald Trump, did he reach.
Speaker 5: Out when he first came down that escalator just to check in with you and say, come on, George, you're a buddy of mine.
Speaker 2: We're golfing pals.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, never did no.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't begrudge anybody anybody's political anybody's political view, you know, but when it gets to the point where it's like that, like with death I mean, listen, I mean I.
Speaker 4: Got death threats, you know the guy. You know the guy.
Speaker 3: There was a guy named Caesar Sayaki and he was living in his van. He was like a kind of former bodybuilding. He was living in his van in Florida and he was making pipe bombs and he had a list of one hundred people that he wanted to blow up.
Speaker 4: And I was on the list, you know.
Speaker 3: And D. L. Hugley said, am I on the list? I said, did the FBI contact you? He's like, uh no. I said, well then you're probably not on the list. And he's like, well, why are you on the list? And why am I'm not on the list? I said, dude, I mean, are we really arguing about who's gonna who should get blown up? And you're not on the list?
Speaker 7: Shot?
Speaker 4: How you know?
Speaker 3: He's like what he goes, how do you is there? Do you have the list? I said, I don't have the list. They just told me I was on the list. So the FBI, the UH Higher Patrol, l APD, sheriffs, UH park Rangers, everybody gets on a on a on a conference call and they go George. I said, yes, you know, I'm in New Mexico, George. We're here from all of these law enforcement agencies. And they said, you know, uh, what we would advise you to do is to not open any suspicious packages that might be delivered to your home. And I said, okay, and then what else? And they're all gone, like they all hung up. Don't open any package?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: So you know, so I said, you know, uh, as Mexicans, you know a lot of times people deliver things in foil, you know, or an old I can't believe it's not butter container that has food in it. I'm like, hey, am I SuPAR to throw that shit away like it might be some there might be some bomb ass my lizard, could.
Speaker 4: Be some el I'll take my shot, you know.
Speaker 3: But but most of the ship that gets delivered to my house is a fucking suspicious package.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I can start.
Speaker 3: I can't start throwing shit away.
Speaker 4: People work hard, man.
Speaker 2: It's gotten serious though.
Speaker 5: I mean with with Trump, that assassination attempt.
Speaker 2: I mean, and trust me.
Speaker 5: On the receiving end of similar to those death threats, so I mean it just as well. But it does go to the coarseness of this. And I mean, I thought it couldn't get worse than going down to damn escalator and talking about rapists and you.
Speaker 2: Know the rest.
Speaker 5: And then I mean, and I thought, okay, this is the end. Just I remember that early on George, remember the tweet with the taco bell right just the sinko to happy Sinko to Mile, which was benign, but just goes to the just the character, just to who the hell this guy is.
Speaker 4: I try to.
Speaker 3: Watch as much of him when he's speaking, because I don't think we'll ever see anybody like him again. I think when he's gone, there's nobody behind him that will be at that level that has no clue as to protocol and no clue as to what's right and wrong. Like I'll get someone just believed everything they're saying is true.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, yeah, so just I mean it goes back to Doug's point. I mean, you've been on the front lines of political commentary, social commentary. I mean you've been a cultural icon. I mean did that all just come naturally or has that just lived experience? Is that a great comedy? Is that just being fully expressive, being authentic self and just talking about the world you're living in and expressing it just out loud.
Speaker 3: I think that I think part of that came from the from being a comedian. You do you open as you live, you know, you open your eyes, you know. Like, but I think seeing people that worked hard and them get disrespected by people just because of the way that they looked or the way that they dressed or what they did for a living was what got me kind of got me kind of going.
Speaker 4: You know. But you know, in stand up now.
Speaker 3: Like Jeff Bezos has an eighty million dollar playing Jeff Bezos is the richest one of the maybe the richest man in the world. He's engaged to a Latina who's been married like twice with three step kids. And I mean, Jeff, you can find anything on Amazon. You probably can find a Latina with no kids, you know. So, Uh, the idea that the idea that the richest man in the world would would would.
Speaker 4: Go in there.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's to me, hats off. I mean, the last thing any smart Latino wants to be as a step fother. So the idea that this guy just says, hey, baby, all come on here, all your kids, come on in here.
Speaker 1: Paggett, Paggett, come on.
Speaker 3: I mean you saw the shit you look at Ben Affleck. Have you ever never seen one dude more miserable and being married? And Jennifer Lopez is posting a tweet, a tweet, a selfie with her ass. It's almost like next everybody wants anybody wants some there it is now up. Uh, you can't survive that. The minute that divorce isn't even final, they already taking a picture of the ass, like.
Speaker 7: Next, Hey, George, take me through it.
Speaker 6: It's well documented, but for for the listeners that don't know, you know you were you were going through it. Remember I remember you talking about uh, you know, just belief and whatnot.
Speaker 7: And and Sandra Bullock had it.
Speaker 6: You had a kind of an infamous meeting with Sandra Bullock who believed in you to a point where it left you emotional correct and and and and that started? Did that start the Lopez Lopez show? Or what take me through? That meeting now with her? And and how that came to be?
Speaker 3: It started my.
Speaker 4: First show in and uh, I was about as far out. Let me.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, man, I was at the comedy club. I was drinking in the nineties, mid mid late nineties. I was drinking a lot, terrible act And I remember I was in in Austin and Sandra Buick lived in Austin and Chappelle had been there the week before. And the manager of the club comes to me and says, I think Sandra Book's gonna come in. She called, She's going to come in, And I was like drinking. I was like, man, I don't want her to see me like this. You know, I didn't even know her. And I got on my knees that in that fucking green room and I said.
Speaker 4: Please, please don't let her.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know if I was gonna know her in another in months or years or whenever. I wished her not to come.
Speaker 4: Wow. And then she didn't come.
Speaker 3: And then I think a year and a half later that she was looking for comedians and somebody said, he you seeing George Lopez and she went to go see me, and I already kind of cleaned up a little bit, and then she saw me and she's like, come to my office and we sat there for like three hours. And then you know, that first show that I did had never been done successfully on TV.
Speaker 4: We did it.
Speaker 3: And then at the end of the she was leading me down these stairs and at the end there I told her, Hey, you know, you know what we're gonna what you're gonna try to do who has never been done successfully? And if I don't ever see you again or whatever happens, I just want to say thank you, you know, just thanks, you know, thanks for you know, for thanks for today, and thanks for And I'd never had anybody believe in me, uh, And she was like, why don't you worry about being funny and why don't you let me worry about everything else?
Speaker 4: And man, I got in my car, Man, I was I was in tears.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, she changed the direction of my life and my you know, everybody that's in my family, I mean I and.
Speaker 4: For no other purpose other than she just thought I was funny.
Speaker 7: And then she became executive Prouser correct on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she did that, and she did the show, and she did the show a few times and was uh, you know, very I mean she came to the tapings and stuff like that, and I mean, I wouldn't be I wouldn't be anybody without without her, without.
Speaker 7: Her, and then the show.
Speaker 6: Now, George, this is this is well, doc, this is about your life, right, this is your life. You've written it and this is pretty much your life.
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one. Yeah, I was divorced.
Speaker 3: You know, I got divorced with my wife, and I didn't speak to mine for I'm not sure if it was I think in the show it's ten years, but it was it was years. It was years, man, And I mean, you know, I only have one kid, and I you know, I didn't want to become that father that didn't spend time with his kids and and whatever issues though about you know, my ex wife and I had those years that I didn't talk to mine were brutal, man, and I was very self destructive and in that time and I was still working. You know, I don't think anybody really knew the level of self destruction. But the fact that you know, Mayan did a TikTok about about a guy that was talking about me, you know, cheating on her mom, and uh, the producer saw it, and that became Lopez. I mean, it's I mean, Gavin, I mean, you can't write. I mean, there's no way that this in any in the real world doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I I.
Speaker 3: I equated to the beginning of the Beverly Hillbillies when he's hungh Team and that he shoots and he hits the ground and oil comes up. This is this is about as wild as the Beverly Hill Bully shooting and that end up in I mean, nobody makes a successful NBC a network show from a fucking TikTok.
Speaker 1: Mmmm.
Speaker 8: I had a great conversation with with your daughter when we came, uh, when I came to shoot the show, and you know, she gave me a little back, a little bit of background, just so to see that come together and then you know, actually be a part of it, like you know, I mean I'm first of all, I'm thankful to you know, have being uh being able to you know, be a part of it. But to see the relationship that you know what I mean, that you and uh, you know, your daughter had took the initiative to to build like that's a that's a fucking blessing, big dog.
Speaker 1: So you I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: I wanted to say, what's up to your baby girl too, because you know, I mean, I was not I was not expecting that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she loves I mean, you know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's so difficult to succeed in TV and then to do it twenty two years after my or twenty years after my first show, and then to bring your kid with you as is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell yeah, man, that's a that's a first amazing messing. Man.
Speaker 8: It just what it showed me was like, man, no matter how far gone, you know what I mean, the trials and tribulations and ship like you know what I mean, once you you know what I mean, you take that that that pride and that ego and that chip off your shoulder and you know, get down to the gritty of you know what I mean, what's really important, Like man, you can accomplish a lot of ship once you let that shit go.
Speaker 1: You know, you just talking about, you know.
Speaker 8: The negative energy and negative intent that a lot of people have, like to be able to put that ship to the side and be able to accomplish something bigger and greater. I mean, it could have been easy for both of y'all just to say, hell, no, fuck it, I'm not fucking with him, or now I'm not finna fuck with it, to be able to put that ship aside and then go on to create something A lot.
Speaker 4: Of people do.
Speaker 3: You know when when when I went, you know, there was a therapist at the house. It was a Sunday, and you know, this was a really nice house. Man. It's like, you know the house the TV show Boy, you know, right turned.
Speaker 4: To Luca Lakes and I drive up. Man, I'm like, I'm gonna miss this fucking house.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, and I.
Speaker 3: Go in there and then Mine's laying into me really for the first time ever, like really just yelling at me and cussing at me, and and h I you know, deservedly, And then when I got in the car, I was like, fuck this house. H But I wasn't in there that long. I was like, man, I'm want to miss this house, and it it got real. I didn't expect you to get that real in there, and I was like when I got out, I was like, who.
Speaker 4: Man, I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 3: I want ride into the bus saf But you know, I took a lot of the I took a lot of I took a lot of the heat, and I took a lot of the responsibility. I didn't try to pass it off. I accepted my you know, the things that I've done. I don't think I'm that person anymore. But you know, I I and I do won't blame it on my upbringing because I think that's just a thing. But you know, there are things inherently, you know, uh that that that people take with them, and I think, uh isolation was one of my was one of mine.
Speaker 6: Did you guys have to do some therapy together, yours, you and your daughter to kind of get through it? I mean, because obviously I could tell the I mean I would imagine animosity and pissed off anger, all that stuff she had. Did you guys have to go through some sessions together? It's to probably still do.
Speaker 4: No we we we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know how long then elevator takes to get from like the fifth floor to the lobby, but that ship, it just felt like years. And if it stopped and somebody got out and be like, oh, I mean, I mean more so because you know, I'm an only child, I really don't communicate with anybody in my family.
Speaker 4: So it's really just it's really just mind.
Speaker 1: You know, you're breaking that generational trauma.
Speaker 4: I'm breaking that generational.
Speaker 1: Trauma, breaking that generational trauma.
Speaker 3: Man, I don't I don't think that. I don't think that. I don't think that. I think you know, I spent a lot of time alone. I've always spent a lot of time alone. And I think in comedians a lot of times. You know, now you can go to college.
Speaker 4: And become a comedian, you have a degree.
Speaker 3: But I came from the era where your life was a little bit fucked up when you became a comedian like Richard Pryor and all the dark all the dark characters that were comedians.
Speaker 4: I had a dark side.
Speaker 3: And now you know, guys are TikTok famous and making millions of dollars and they have a happy life. I didn't come from where comedians had happy life. It's almost like when you're a boxer and your fists are the only way out of the neighborhood. The humor was, I didn't have a plan be I would not even sure what I would be doing. But but I didn't. I used all of those things that made me afraid and then turned them into comedy. But I still spend a significant amount of time alone.
Speaker 7: It's amazing, George, when what you've built in your career.
Speaker 6: When we go out in public, whether we go to a game or whatever, maybe I go to your show.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're universally loved by everybody.
Speaker 6: It's insane, whether it be you know what, me and Marshaun, whether it be twelve year old fifteen year olds, or eighty year olds or sixty year olds. I mean, literally, George, you can't go to a Raider game without that entire stadium going nuts.
Speaker 5: We walked right outside the door. I think we got about ten damn feet. I'm like, I'm done with this guy. I gotta get the help. You know, I don't know where we were going, man, it is a hell of a thing.
Speaker 3: But it's you know, I I like that I mean, I appreciate the when you see young kids and you see people like that, you know that that do that. I remember, you know, when I was a kid in the seventies and we would get toys for Christmas, you know, and a lot of them weren't you you know, people would do I don't even know where they got them. And then in like two thousand and four or five, I woke up in the morning, I was like, I wonder if people still do that at my school, and I called over there. I forgot how many years had gone by since, like seventy three, two thousand and five. I called over there and I said, hey, do you guys still give toys out for Christmas? And what year was that? I said, seventy three, seventy three, and they're like no, I said, well, I mean, Keavin, I thought seventy three, like seven years ago, and like hell no. So I said, hey, I want to do it. So I've been doing it for almost twenty years. And when you see those little kids there, like I was. I saw a little kid in first grade and he came up to me and he was like, you're real. That's what he said to me. You're real, And that that's a shit that gets to me.
Speaker 7: Man, George, is it interesting?
Speaker 6: I mean, you know your day when you started out your show is you'd have to go to in front of two hundred people, of fifty people, whatever. Now these comedians can put some reels out there and might get some hits and likes, and all of a sudden they become famous. It's a bizarre day, correct now with we talked about all the time with Marshaun and talking about mentoring these young kids in the NFL and me as an agent. It's hard sometimes now with the way the social media is, especially in your profession as far as you know comedian, as far as what these guys do now versus what they had to do when you grind it back in your day.
Speaker 3: You know, like there was a there's a saying like whatever shines the brightest doesn't last, you know, and a lot of times, you know, these guys get if you look at YouTube, when you look at influencers or whatever. Somebody said to me, what do you do? I'm an influencer? I said, what's that where you get other pen That was like you to try to swallow a fucking teaspoon of cinnamon without coughing, like you know, there's a whole, there's a whole. If we guys eat tied eat tide pods, and you know, they they look at the attention that they get, whether it's on YouTube or when they go out, and then when that starts to dwindle, there's a lot of them that don't survive. Like they either commit suicide or they od whatever. They can't. They can't that adulation. They're not prepared for it. But it doesn't last. You know, everybody knows it doesn't last. But also they're not prepared for the shift and they and they you know, they don't, they don't. They can't make they don't make it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the gridd and the grind that motherfucker's put in back then, it's like it prepares you. It prepares you for the success and it prepares you for the failure.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, it's like, you.
Speaker 8: Know, just like you're saying, it's like right now, you just get on there and just try and do the most outland this ship and then hope it catch and then if it do, like all right, cool, I'm gonna ride this train for as long as I can. And then when that's up, it's like, okay, now what's what's What's some more crazy outland this ship that I can do to try to keep this buzz going for me. But I mean, you know, when you look at it, I mean and you think about it, like all the long nights that you really put in to really you know, I mean establish yourself and the places that that it that it take you. And then I mean, you know, the drug Like you know, one of my guys, little goofs say, the root of all evil ain't money, no more as clout and I mean that shit has been like something that's been taken individuals and shit, like you said, it's been taking a life. Because when you get in that position and it's like, all right, it didn't work, and it's like, oh, well, don't nobody care for me, don't nobody love me?
Speaker 1: No, that's not the case.
Speaker 8: It's just that everybody don't have the same attention span to that one little crazy shit that you did.
Speaker 1: And since it didn't hit for you that way, all my life is over.
Speaker 8: I don't know what to do. And Noah is get your ass in the lab and grind for some shit. That's all it is.
Speaker 4: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I would tell these guys, I mean they would say, what did you realize coming up? It's like, if you want to get to the next level, I said, you're going to have to put them up at some point. At some point, you're gonna have to put them You're gonna have to show what you got. And maybe not the most perfect situation, but there's gonna have there's gonna be times when you're gonna have to put your and you're gonna have to deliver more times than not because you know, you put them up and you don't, you don't make it.
Speaker 4: Everybody just everybody just leave.
Speaker 3: Man. I was just, you know, leave, So you just got to keep you just got to put them up. I remember when I remember when I hosted the Emmys in two thousand and five with a bunch of different comedians and and uh, I looked out and I saw all the sopranos and Willing Grace and six Feet Under and all these people and in the middle Robin Williams was in the middle. Saw him and he went like he went like this to me, went like this, he said. I said, if I thought he went like the Robin Williams was come on, A great guy.
Speaker 5: I remember I had a privilege of being with him uh on a weekend in Washington, d C. And I was with him and his agent in the back of a limo and we surprised folks at a comedy club.
Speaker 2: He was gonna do his big, big show.
Speaker 5: I think it was actually for the Democratic National Committee. It was another one of those big Clinton things. And so the night before he's doing what you guys do, which is grinding all that hard work behind the scenes, putting those dukes up, and he did a little comedy thing. Didn't tell anyone. We went in the back. We snuck in the back. No one knew, and we have a surprise guest, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Robin when his.
Speaker 5: Place went crazy, you know, sixty people and he's grinding, does his stuff. He's iterating. We get in the limo and the agent. I'm about to talk to Robin, who's soaking wet. He's a completely different guy. He just was quiet, his head was down, he was soaking wet, and he said, don't say a goddamn word. And we went to the hotel. I remember walking back down the hallway the hotel and he went into his room, and he said, by gents, just quietly, like completely spent, because he was putting everything out there, just grinding in order to prepare for that next night.
Speaker 2: And I guess it's just a reminder of your craft, man.
Speaker 5: It's just you constantly have to grind, reinvent yourself, and nothing easy about what you do.
Speaker 3: In the early eighties, there was a canary yellow Rolls Royce in front of the Comedy Star and I was with my buddy Ernie and it was Richard Pryor's Richard Pryor. So they go, there's Richard Pryor by himself in the car. The car is idling, and my buddies I go say hello. I was like, fuck man, it takes me like twenty minutes to walk over there. I get to the window and I look in and he's got a micro cossette recorder and he's listening to his set. You could hear foo and you can hear the laughter. And I kind of backed up and he goes what happened? I said, Hey, I saw, I saw everything I needed to see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So like you know, I've been I've been watching you since the Low Pay Show, Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: We talked a little bit about it.
Speaker 8: But you know, when I get to the to the set, and you know, I don't know what to expect because this is my first time actually doing you know, something in front of a live audience the way that it was set up. So when we walked in and I and I actually see real people sitting in the damn stands and shit, I kind of like froze for a second, like ooh shit. Uh in the PA like you all right, I'm like, yeah, what's good. He's like, no, you just froze, And I'm like nah and froze, but talking abo, man, I'm ready to do this shit. And as the closer I got to it, my palm started sweating, you know what I mean, got sweat bees running down my face.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh shit, Like nah, this shit real.
Speaker 8: So when I get on the set and I'm like thinking to myself like, oh shit, I gotta remember all of these fucking lines. I gotta give them on Q and then like to sit around and you know, I mean not just be looking dumbfounded like and to think like, oh shit, you this is a whole different level of of of commitment. This is a whole different mindset, Like the whole shit was.
Speaker 1: Just completely different. But it made me appreciate.
Speaker 8: You even more because now I'm thinking, like, oh, and you do this shit week in and week out, and.
Speaker 3: I right too, Man, you did great, you did great. Your personality, your personality. He came out and grabbed his dick.
Speaker 5: Jesus, we've been talking, We've been trying to talk to him out of that, George that.
Speaker 3: We can't keep that one. But just you know, for the for the gag reel, I mean, you know, he he just you just have this thing, man, like you were you were fine.
Speaker 4: You were fine. Man.
Speaker 3: And then and then uh, the director Phil Lewis, he was you know he uh he said, hey, he was a big Greater fan and Marshaan he wanted Marshawn to tackle and Marshawn, Uh, it's like the three step hit. Pick him up and drive him into this mat.
Speaker 4: That's what it's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that ship was a to me.
Speaker 8: It was It was one of the most I say, like for me, like nerve racking things that I have done. Considering I've been on the biggest stage, played on the uh super Bowl twice.
Speaker 1: You know, I've acted in you know, some movies.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, I mean and by far that when I'm looking around and I'm like, oh shit, like you really got to deliver right now. And then when you came out on the fucking set, it was a whole different fucking type of energy.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about Jim Plugget. We was just.
Speaker 8: All in like like oh shit, like we actually in the moment of you know, I mean, it was like greatness just all around, and when you stepped on that muffle, you could just feel your presence from from everybody.
Speaker 1: And then it was so fucking sharp on how everything was being ran like. It gave me a great fucking deal of respect.
Speaker 8: So I remember them nights while I'm watching watching your show on uh well listen, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I saw Bottoms. You were fucking hilarious. I think I think you have a career in movies.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it's funny, George.
Speaker 6: I'm at the super Bowl and I'm there with Paul Rudd and I so Paul Rudd says, hey, I want to talk to you about more Shawn, And I'm like, God, what does he ask me about?
Speaker 7: Marshawn?
Speaker 6: And He's like, whatever movie he's done, I've seen Bottoms twice. Whatever he wants to do it, I'm in you tell me whinning where I said so, I called marshauns and Marchhaun Paul fucking Rudd says he whatever he's doing, he wants you win and vice versa.
Speaker 7: And that's his respect.
Speaker 6: Marshawn's getting now in that in that field, which is again, uh, kudos to him and and rare because it's it's a testament to what he's done in term of his career and and uh to be that way now, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: Marshall's got He's got He's got it. Whatever the IT factor, he's got the it. He's got the it.
Speaker 8: George, I appreciated that that goddamn experience was was was was one of us.
Speaker 3: But Bottoms Bottoms was one of those movies like in the seventies movies where.
Speaker 4: It's just funny.
Speaker 1: All yeah, that ship wash I was really good.
Speaker 4: Agent.
Speaker 5: You're Doug, George, just you know, you brought up prior a couple of times, and I love that antidote about just hearing them with the cassette tape and just constantly just perfecting the art. What I mean, you do you have any hacks like that. I mean, you are you constantly reviewing tape? Are you looking at old tape? Or when it's done, it's done, You're just moving on.
Speaker 2: I mean, what what is?
Speaker 3: How do you?
Speaker 5: How do you constantly stay on on the leading?
Speaker 3: As we get them, we get them all transcribed, they get sent to the house, I divide them and separate them, and then you know, I'm doing another special at Doby here here in La. Maybe I'm probably the last one. September twenty seventh and twenty eighth.
Speaker 6: Where's the invite, George, We're all coming.
Speaker 4: Hey, It's always there, It's always there. I want to show you, guys. One thing so I used to I used to write.
Speaker 3: I used to write on these those mead you know that those like those spiral notebooks. And I wrote this. I wrote this eight six, nineteen seventy nine. I said, I know at times I can't make it, but eventually I will. I'll hit the American people like a hammer. I'll be the best out of set. Was Wow, I was, I was, uh. And I've never written anything to myself.
Speaker 4: I mean that, Wow, that right there.
Speaker 3: I'm not even sure what in inspired me to or how it's still in my possession after all these years. But that's for a for a fucking eighteen year old kids to write that to himself is crazy.
Speaker 7: Did you find that? Did you find that years later?
Speaker 6: Or it's always it's always been with me, It's always been with you, Okay.
Speaker 2: And you do any I mean are you constantly writing now?
Speaker 5: You're not constantly? I mean, is it journaling or writing? Is it jokes or is just reflections on your day?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: I think it's it's all, it's I think it's a little bit of of all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little bit of like you know, almost they come to you in your head, or there's things you write about or things that you know you that.
Speaker 4: You know when you get older. I mean, it's all lot of stuffs have to do older.
Speaker 3: I tried to run, Hey man, I run like a dude that found gold. Remember those old miners that where they would run when they found gold. I said, I looked at I said, I run like a dude that found gold.
Speaker 7: Hey, George, let me ask you the question.
Speaker 6: It's interesting because Moreshaan always talks about he was infamous talking about, you know, take care of your mentals. After that Green Bay playoff game. You know, you look at these like players now and all the athletes and they're on uh you know, social media after game and you fumble, people want to kill them or they score a touchdown, they want to take them to dinner and love them with you. And that's the question from Marshaun now too. With you guys in this field and you being on the road as much as you are, or do you find yourself looking at social media and seeing what people thought of a show or how they react to the movie or you pretty much stay off of it.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know what I stay. I kind of stay off it because you know, I'm sixty three. Man, I ain't got time for that shit.
Speaker 4: You know, I ain't got time.
Speaker 3: And you know I tell Mayan, you know, like I said, Mayan, what if they what if a hundred people like you and a hundred people hate you. It's like it doesn't matter, Like what they say don't matter.
Speaker 7: Amen.
Speaker 4: I mean, I appreciate it, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: No, I agree, But as you know, it's it's consuming these young kids these days like no other.
Speaker 3: You know, I will I will say that if I had if I was thirteen, and these times I don't think, guy, I don't think I would have survived.
Speaker 4: I don't think I would survive.
Speaker 3: I think I I I don't think I could survive social media if I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: I got a thirteen year old Doug does two. I mean, we trust me? I mean, what is it?
Speaker 5: Comparisons the thief of all happiness? I mean, I don't know how the hell you can be happy watching social media comparing yourself to every other goddamn version that's out there. I mean, it's just it's stealing our youth.
Speaker 8: I couldn't fake as fuck, fake a ship and people for each other, and the way it's not real.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just not it's not.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just terrible. It's a terrible thing.
Speaker 7: Man. Hey, George, and a lighter note.
Speaker 6: You're a golfer, give me your give me your dream forsome that you go golf with. If you had to give me three other pe but you're golfing with dead or alive, who would they be?
Speaker 2: And it ain't don't include Trump? He's off the list.
Speaker 3: Uh Uh? I was Pressley, Martin, Luther King.
Speaker 4: Uh. I think Lee Trevino is still alive.
Speaker 3: Carlo Santana said, yeah.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I sa and I just saw Santana at here, I mean San Francisco. You know, Carlo Santana is still still making music. Man. I mean this dude was at Woodstock. I mean they took acid. No, not acid, he took some form of that whatever. Whatever turns your guitar neck into a cold bro That's what he was on.
Speaker 7: A marshawn before we let George go.
Speaker 6: Take him through your your your meeting with the Grateful Dad. I was throwing it, but I was thrown kind of a sidebell that I loved because I'm a huge dead guy. Take George through Mickey Hart and the Dead in the show you did, No.
Speaker 1: Man, that's ship. It was a It was mind opening.
Speaker 8: But but more than anything, while I took away from it because you know, they a lot of people play a lot of shit on race and just the fact that I was able to have a conversation with this you know what I mean, older white man, and to see that we have a lot of similarities in the way that we approach life. It just showed me how much more we are alike than we are different. And just you know, I mean the way that he lock in you know what I mean, when he doing this set, and then you know, I had the chance to go and uh to see him in the sphere out here in Vegas, and I was just thinking to myself, like, God, damn, this motherfucker old as fuck and he's still packing out shows and it all come off of just.
Speaker 1: Is his mindset.
Speaker 8: So then it, you know what I mean, that type of shit to give me hope as long as like, all right, continuing the you know, I mean, because he said it like you know, we beat to our own drum, like you know what I mean, anything outside of what's in and said, we don't let that shit consume us. That's right, And I'm like, damn, you know what that's that's interesting as fuck. But then you know, it was really like I mean, because I mean, you know, that's not the type of music that I'm gonna put on and I'm gonna listen to. But then hearing this individual who you know, I mean, could give me some background on I mean the style of play that I had and was able to i mean incorporate in the two I mean, his mindset and him doing music that shit was a It was it was really interesting, but it really just showed me like, you know, I mean, no matter what, like the biggest thing in which I think, you know, a lot of people, you know, my overlook is you infeel me or the mindset that it takes in order to you know, I mean continue, you know, I mean to be great and not and not just because we in the time of this social media ship and everything is to put out, put out, put out, put out, put out, put out, but to be able to to to really hone in to to who you are and live that shit and have that be your truth.
Speaker 1: That shit is something special.
Speaker 8: So man, and I mean, you know, regardless to just a little bit to you know, the social media after you do X, Y and Z. It's not that the first thing I do after I you know, I mean, whether it's a game, I mean, a TV show or commercial or something like that is not I go and run to the internet to try and see what people were saying this, that and the third. But just a long A yeah, I might get on there and I might run through some shit and I come across it like okay, yeah that was cool. But I don't let that shit make up who I am. And I'm not chasing after you know, I mean the clout or you know what I mean, the ooze and the ads, or you know, the spitefulness that I would get from hearing all these individuals talk about I mean, whether all that shit was trash or all that was great.
Speaker 1: This that and the third.
Speaker 8: But more so, just like I mean, at this point, it's like if I say something, Dan, you feel me.
Speaker 1: I mean it, I stand on it, and that's just what it is.
Speaker 8: And there's nobody out there that's gonna make me waiver again or put me against myself because then you get put in the position of where that's shit kind of lead to self destruction trying to please everybody in so I mean, you know that was more so to take away that I got from him and to see that that motherfucker I think he was like I think he like ninety nine or something like that, and to see that he's still rocking the same way and selling out you feel me though shows and shit, it's like, all right, I might be on the something, you know what I.
Speaker 6: Mean, well, by the way, you know what I'm on the right now more Seawan, and I think we have to make this happen. And George, this is too I'm going to I'm going to put this note out right now to CBS, NBC, ABC, Netflix, we need a low Pez and Lynch TV show. But George, I'm not playing that low Pez and Lynch Galvin.
Speaker 1: What do you think this, Doug doing this agent shit again?
Speaker 6: Low Pez and Lynch Galvin. This is a hit show right here, like.
Speaker 4: A talk show.
Speaker 7: I'll let you guys be the creator behind it.
Speaker 4: But you got.
Speaker 3: I think one of the reasons Marshaun is so beloved and so revered is is that your integrity. You have always been of integrity and as a player as a person, and I think you may have had some of the best quotes that I've ever seen of anybody. But uh, that's what drew me to you, and it made us friends. Like I'm proud of you and I and I'm proud that we're friends. Gavin the same way, Doug. The same thing is that you know, there are very few people you can count on as friends. And you know I can say that, Uh, I appreciate you guys, and and mean it, you know, not not and not have any other thing other than just be It's the truth.
Speaker 4: That's real talk.
Speaker 8: And man, just the fact that even though it's still fucking had me like, Mama, what the hell you doing? But the fact the fact that my mama will hit you when she knows you got a showing in the bay, and I know that's probably not I know, she probably saying you just ran, texts me like hey, just the what's up, you know, doing her mama thing, but uh, I send her flowers to what You're right, So yeah, man, I appreciate that. But just the fact that you know, uh, you know, you don't, you don't take my mom for granted, just because you know Marshawn Lynch Mama, Like it's a real genuine respect between you two. Like, man, I that ship is a uh, that ship is a blessing man. And I really got a lot of love and respect for you, you know, for that amongst all the other ship that you do. But yeah, I mean the fact that you made my mama feel comfortable with reaching out.
Speaker 3: To you, like she actually yeah, no, no, yeah, hey, she she sends me messages to get tickets to other shows that I'm not in.
Speaker 6: No, But yeah, the George, that's my George. I can't tell you much I appreciate you. We talked all that great.
Speaker 4: This is the best hour, man, it's the best.
Speaker 7: I appreciate You're a great friend, George.
Speaker 6: I love hanging with you, man, and and we can't We're gonna be there September soon and it's a date on that will be there live in September to see.
Speaker 4: You, George.
Speaker 5: In the spirit of Marshaan, I love that Marshan's now deadhead, but I love one of the I don't know if it was I don't know exactly who said it. May have been members of the Dead, or it may have been Bill Graham talking about the grateful dead. He said, you don't want to be the best of the best, you want to be the only one that does what you do. And he was describing the dead, and it's a great way to describe George Lopez.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 5: You're authentic, You're the real deal, and it's been great to have you with us.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys,