Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren z E Ma comedy from the Home Office in Austin, Texas. We are such huge fans of our guests.
Speaker 2: I know you just said the word home Office.
Speaker 3: And it's so perfect for this time because Kate Flannery iconically played Meredith, the redheaded spitfire on the Office, and of course she's done so many other comedic projects. She's been on Dancing with the Stars. She was just revealed to have been on this season of The Mass Singer. She was the starfish. So we're going to talk to her about everything from her time on the Office to whether the rumors are true.
Speaker 2: Is an Office reboot.
Speaker 3: In the works. Kate Flannery, It's so good to see you.
Speaker 2: See you.
Speaker 4: How's it going so good?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remembered me.
Speaker 3: I interviewed you for Entertainment tonight when you were on Dancing with the Stars, and I told you that and i'll tell you again now. And I used to go to your Lampshades shows, which I always love it.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you remember me, but when you were the Bachelorette, I was hosting that season, and when you had sex with those five guys in the hot tub that one night.
Speaker 4: Who you expect me to remember all those guys, chrisy you crazy?
Speaker 1: No, No, that was my job. I kept track of the names of the guys you were sleeping with. I would never expect that from you. It's so good to see you again.
Speaker 4: I used to see you. How's it going.
Speaker 1: It's so good. So you had your you met Kate through entertainment tonight.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's also weird when you and Kate. I actually think Chris has been told the same thing. So I feel fine telling you something you've You've probably heard before. But it's weird when you interview someone but you also fall asleep to them every night, Like I fall asleep to the office every night.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean because it's boring, because I know how this comes across.
Speaker 4: The comfort thing. I totally got it.
Speaker 2: Do people tell you that all the time?
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean not all the time, but some of the time.
Speaker 1: But it is weird when people come up to you in an airport, it's like, Oh, my wife and I we crawl in bed and we was like, you realize that visual now that I'm thinking of, and what.
Speaker 4: Do you like ambient?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Or it's like we hit pause and then we have sex and we turn it back.
Speaker 2: On, and then we turn the Bachelor back on, and then we're turned on.
Speaker 1: By it, and then I'm wondering, is it just my face? And So I met Kate, so her and Jane Lynch, which we'll talk about. They do, they do stuff together, they do these shows together. And I don't know if you remember, but the first time I met Kate, we were backstage for ari Ari Emanuel who owns runs Endeavor and now William Morris en Deavor the agency.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So these are the things you do in Hollywood that are really glamorous. We're doing a Jewish school fundraiser. Jane Lynch, Kate Flannery, Chris Harrison, big names on the stage for a Jewish junior high high school. By the way, this school there's only like, there was like ten thousand people in attendance.
Speaker 5: It was crazy.
Speaker 3: The so obviously The Office was on at that time. Yes, so Kate, I'm going to sell him out right now, but like it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: You know. He never watched the Office until about a year ago. Ever, this is true.
Speaker 1: No, I'm so late to this, and no, it's all right.
Speaker 4: I mean I get it. You know, you're you're a little busy.
Speaker 1: No, but I came. But now that I came to it, it's embarrassing how much I watch it.
Speaker 2: You waited too long.
Speaker 1: It truly is embarrassing.
Speaker 2: But then we binged it and now he loves it.
Speaker 1: I can't believe Steve Croll was dead the whole time spoiler alert, the whole series, he was dead and nobody knew.
Speaker 2: That's the reveal. Well, you know, no one can go.
Speaker 1: Back and watch it, but it is. It is funny, how I And what I find interesting is that it is just as relevant and it hits in the same place is probably it did the day it was created, which talk about the mark of a great show.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely, it is timeless, and it's like, I know, also, there's so much truth in comedy, you know. It's like, that's why I'm so bummed that, you know, comedy is just they're losing their bravery and everyone's in microscope and it's just such a bummer.
Speaker 3: But I love hearing that from you, Kate, because I mean, look, I think we all it's funny, and again this is a Hollywood mess up. They're out there giving us the reboot of this and the sixth sequel of that, And then you see how much and you hear from how people are I think crying out for like rom coms to be back, for our rated comedies to be back in the theater.
Speaker 2: We've been through a lot.
Speaker 3: People want to laugh, and why is that not happening. Do you think it's because, I mean, your career comedian. Is comedy really hard to do now? And what do you think needs to change?
Speaker 6: I think people are hyper sensitive and I think they don't feel like comedy is safe, which is bummer.
Speaker 4: Because I feel like.
Speaker 6: It's like an equal opportunity offender if you look at all comedy like someone is being made fun of. But at the same time, we all have these moments where we get to laugh at our own expense, and we don't have the ability to laugh at ourselves.
Speaker 4: We're really in trouble as a culture.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting what's happened here in Austin. Love him or hate him? Joe Rogan left California, created this thing called the Mothership down here. They were in the Vulcan room, which is this bar here in Austin, and he bought a place and people have left all around the country to come to Austin because it is it's this place for free comedy, and I mean free, I mean you're free to do it. They lock up your phones. I've been to a couple of the shows.
Speaker 2: I love that they lock.
Speaker 3: Up the phones because I think that's what's probably scary as a comedian, Right, You're testing out an act and then a little snippet of it goes and it doesn't come across well in your life's.
Speaker 4: Right's out a context, the moments out of context.
Speaker 1: And these great comics have either moved here or they are just coming to perform here and work on their acts before they do a Netflix special or whatever. And it sells out immediately. It's killing here in Austin.
Speaker 4: Right, No, I totally get it.
Speaker 6: I mean it's it's just a strange time and I'm just so happy to be on a show that I feel like treats the audience so intelligently. I think that's why kids are really into it too, even though though they'd.
Speaker 4: Never worked in an office.
Speaker 6: And there's some like a boss and a teacher and people in desks that you didn't pick. You know, nobody picks next to sit next to Dwight. You know, it's like there's something so relatable. Fortunately, and I don't know, I just I just hope we can get back to new content without major hyper awareness.
Speaker 3: Okay, but Kate, I have to ask you. And I was just saying, no more reboots, but no more reboots. But Kate, here's the thing though, the rumors have been around, and then there were rumors that there was like meetings and table readings happening in January. Where are we at on the Office reboot? Because my god, are people crying for it.
Speaker 6: I'm I've not been a part of any any any I mean, if it exists.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if it exists. And maybe maybe I'm being replaced by m A. Stone. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, amistone will be quite a compliment.
Speaker 1: But now we know who she would want to play her.
Speaker 6: Yes, well there's a there's there's like I think Darryl, played by Craig Robinson, makes a comment about like is it just me or is is Meredith kind of given.
Speaker 4: An Emma Stone vibe?
Speaker 6: Totfully that's like an office reference but yeah, I don't think whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't think I'm a little older than Emma Stone.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you know I was.
Speaker 1: I was shocked and correct me if I'm wrong, because it feels like it was longer. The Office is nine years, a nine year run, yep, that's that seems crazy. Doesn't it feel like it was around for so much longer?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's spills that way because people are still watching it and talking about it all the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, nine years is a great run, but it's just.
Speaker 1: People still watch Friends and Stuff and Seinfeld. But I feel like those shows ended. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I feel like the audits because you just found it this is a year that's not true.
Speaker 3: I don't know more and are welcome, Chris, Well, you guys, just do you just give us a little mini reboot in this AT and T commercial that y'all did you? And Rain Wilson and Jenni Fisher and a bunch of people are in it. It's so funny. How did it feel to be back together, to be filming something together?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, this is the thing you do nine seasons with people you either never speak to them again and if they're coming towards you on the street you turn around and go the other way, or you are a family, and we are fortunately a family.
Speaker 4: So it was so great to work with each other.
Speaker 6: And you know, I mean, obviously we're not doing the Office, it's a commercial, we're playing ourselves, but such a shorthand with all of us, and such a joy to be back together.
Speaker 1: It fell right back into place, totally, totally, like.
Speaker 4: No time had passed the best.
Speaker 3: I do feel like whenever I hear interviews with any of y'all from the cast, people talk about what a special like, not just that it being a hit show that has lasted and the content was good, but what a special work experience it was? What was the Office doing right at a time when so many people are frustrated with their work experiences or the environments that we have today.
Speaker 2: What was what was right about the work environment?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it always starts at the top, and our showrunner Craig Daniels and our lead Steve Corral were really good. They're good human beings, and they also put the show before anybody's ego, so it was always about the work. And you know, you can't act like a douchebag at the leads, not acting like a douchebag.
Speaker 4: If the guy who has more lines than anybody, you know.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and also I always felt like we were treated like there was no hierarchy. We knew the was a hierarchy, but information was the seminated actually, like we all knew a lot of the same things, like which is unusual. Sometimes there's tears of knowledge and shut out and have to have a certain contract to know that or whatever. And I, especially for the first few years, I felt like we always were just just treated like a family, like we were all in the same room together for so much, so many you know, so many years, and and uh, it really felt like everyone cared.
Speaker 4: About each other.
Speaker 1: I always found when I got to ABC, it was like the end of an era. And but it was the same way where like John Ritter was doing his show and everybody fell in line because he was that guy. And then like in My People, Yeah, it's like every show had a patriarch or a matriarch that really set the tone. And then when the ensemble craze happened of Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives and all that, it like all that dissipated and it blew up because everybody was fighting for themselves.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. You're so right about.
Speaker 3: The secrets thing too, and the like. It's like if people are being used to pit against each other, which you know a little bit about that from The Bachelor, but you it creates, well, people are angry at each other, they're resemful, they're scared, and it's not and it ultimately makes the product stuffer.
Speaker 4: I think I think so too, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, and when I say that we were all in the same room, we were we all had to do background work. But you know, but also like you know, even if I didn't talk in a scene, sometimes I would still get a laugh because of my expression, And I thought, like, this is just a great thing to trust. So the process was just so interesting. And literally the first season, Greg Daniels, our show runer, asked us to bring real paperwork, so literally we were doing taxes because you know, you wanted it to feel like it was a real work environment, and so when the camera came to you, you were already working.
Speaker 4: You weren't like acting like you were working.
Speaker 6: You were working. So that's like that was another thing that sort of informed what was going on. So I don't know, and I just you know, I'm one of seven kids. I'm I'm I was born into an ensemble.
Speaker 1: Realizing that, yeah, you and your twin you were the youngest, Yes.
Speaker 4: The youngest of seven. Yeah, my sister and I don't look alike that much. Win and I don't look alike.
Speaker 1: I saw you said she's actually funnier or she's the funny one.
Speaker 4: It is. She is way funny than I'm for sure.
Speaker 3: For sure, I have to use this opportunity to ask you. And I don't know if this is a tough subject to talk about, but I listened with intent to. I'm gonna forget it. The guy who plays Kevin what is his real name, Brian? Yes, I absolutely loved his like in depth retrospective podcast that he put out a couple of years ago, and it was kind of the first time I heard people talk about when Steve left. So it's just coming into my mind because you're talking about like there were no secrets and that kind of thing. But what was that moment, Like, was that a departure from how it had been losing your patriarch?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, totally.
Speaker 6: It was extremely emotional, for sure, for everybody including Steve.
Speaker 4: He didn't really want to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I god, I just feel like I just.
Speaker 4: Thought the writers handled it so well and it allowed us.
Speaker 6: All to process together, which is, you know, unusual, So it kind of felt like it was all sort of happening in real time. But I'll never forget they Creed and I were doing a satellite radio tour or TV tour.
Speaker 4: Breast tour in the morning, and they had announced it like that morning, and we didn't even know that Steve was leaving. So I was like, uh, I think we lost the feed. Like I can't asked a question about it. I was like, I'm.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I can't. I can't see it for you because I didn't know what to say. Yeah, you know, but yeah, it was so emotional, and I don't know, I just think everything evolves, and you know, good things come to an end.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, TV does eventually end, except if you're on The Simpsons. So yeah, it happened at some point.
Speaker 3: But to me, and this is just my opinion, that's just I'll never understand why they let him go. Like you said, he didn't want to go, and it's just we're kind of, you know, we're like all Hollywood.
Speaker 2: We're all experienced here.
Speaker 3: That's just one of those Did somebody higher up just make the dumbest decision in the world.
Speaker 2: I don't get that.
Speaker 6: I think so they didn't renew his contract. I don't know what, and everyone's like trying to figure out what the hell was going on.
Speaker 1: You get in these shows sometimes and you're like, the only people that can ruin this is us, and they do and they do like they can't help themselves. Sometimes it happened on it. It happened a show I was involved in one time.
Speaker 2: It was just but you're the reality TV Steve.
Speaker 1: KROWBP, you can have Creed who did more with less than those two Creed it was like the line like sometimes one or two lines, yeah, oh, and they would own the episode with one or two lines.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, Like, that's that's a lesson to all actors.
Speaker 6: You don't need to count your lines in your script and get upset if you don't talk a lot.
Speaker 4: Got to make the most of what you got. And also just like trust that sometimes less is more.
Speaker 3: Chris, you know what, Actually so many similarities. You were often in that position with the Bachelor, like you have like one line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean, and I came to a whole different obviously, you know, Kate was second city and improv and comedy, and I came through this to local news and sportscasting. But the first lesson I ever learned, and I tell all journalism kids, get over yourself. It's not about you. You're not the story. And it is and probably I guess comedy and acting is the same way. It's not about you. If you're good, people are going to know.
Speaker 6: Right right, and also if it's I don't know. I just think there's so many performers who hijack everybody before.
Speaker 4: They you know, yell action and they have to tell a joke and they have to put somebody down. You know, it's like they have to claim their power ownership over the show.
Speaker 3: Kate, do you have a favorite since it was you and Creed in that corner, do you have a favorite Creed line from the show?
Speaker 4: I liked the he wanted to Creed one time says to Meredith, did we.
Speaker 1: And with those two you fully believe maybe they did and they forgot did they can't?
Speaker 4: She said? She said, we did.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll ask you one more time and I'm going to hope I get a different answer, but I think I won't. You were just together for the for the commercial. Were you all talking about the potential of a reboot at all? Like, was there any discussion? Has anyone heard anything?
Speaker 2: And would you all be.
Speaker 1: In because I know there's a text thread, there is the office text thread that you guys are all on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's nothing on the text thread. Yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I you know, I also have a big mouth, so maybe people just don't tell.
Speaker 2: Me anything that they don't trust you.
Speaker 6: Thinking about the mask saying or was it you literally wear like a sweatshirt that says talk to me and you're walking around rehearsing, I'm like, this is hell.
Speaker 4: I want to talk to everybody.
Speaker 1: And by the way, for those that don't know, she was just okay. It was just revealed on the mass Singer the star the Starfish.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I still have my well this is my commemorative.
Speaker 1: Face mask and snorkel.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: It looked like you I'm not gonna say miserable, but you could You couldn't even move in that damn thing.
Speaker 4: It was fun though, it was a challenge. I literally felt like there was a rubber band around my knees, like it was a little like it was like I felt like very short, you know, very short, short legged.
Speaker 1: And you're, by the way, you're a damn good singer. I've heard you sing like you're a good performer.
Speaker 6: Thanks, I'm more of a jazz singer. And this was a little more poppy. But I felt taken care of and I felt like the arrangements were good. It was really fun and I liked all the songs, and yeah.
Speaker 4: I could have I could have stayed longer, but you know what, sometimes less is more. Maybe the three episodes is great.
Speaker 3: I've actually to take away from this from this podcast less more do and do.
Speaker 2: More with less.
Speaker 1: Kevin Hart was smart. He's like, I'm out, I'm gonna dress up like book and I'm out. In the first episode, like peace out, did you you you were singing alongside a former bachelor Culton Underwood.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean you. I guess you had no idea who else the other people were.
Speaker 4: I had no idea who anybody was.
Speaker 1: They're very careful to keep you guys sequestered, and like the privacy on that show is done well.
Speaker 4: It is intense. Yeah, it is really intense. It's awesome. You even have to wear gloves because if you wear jewelry or like, if you have two on your hand, like, you cannot you can't. And the same thing.
Speaker 6: When my boyfriend was there, he had to wear the whole get up too because he was an EMBAC photographer. He's a TV photographer for everything, so he knew the crew.
Speaker 4: So I was like, oh no.
Speaker 2: So when he had to wear a costume, he was hidden.
Speaker 4: You just had to wear the Don't Talk to Me sweatshirt with them funny and the and the gloves.
Speaker 3: I have a big question because this podcast is about relationships and takeaways that we can all have. You have this incredible, unique experience of maintaining a friendship with a group of co workers for well over a decade at this point.
Speaker 2: What advice do you have?
Speaker 3: What have you all learned about how you stay in touch and stay a family even from afar once that thing that kept you together is over.
Speaker 6: Well, I think you have to keep your expectations in check because people get busy, their lives change. But I think that if you can hold the space for them with your heart and not you know, not have resentments about their lack of availability. I think you know, you have to. You have to have compassion for where everybody is now because everybody's life changes.
Speaker 4: It's just how it is. So you know, it's it's kind of asking you.
Speaker 6: To step up and be a little mature and realistic and have compassion for yourself because I'm not in the same space as I was. So yeah, and I think just and also just rooting for each other and remembering like comparison is the thief of joy.
Speaker 4: You have to really remember.
Speaker 6: That each of us has our own lane. We don't get the same stuff. Even if you want what somebody else has, that's you know, it's that's a that's a lousy place to live. Yeah, you know, just if you can just kind of be happy for them if they have something that you think is cool, but remember that like somebody else might be feeling that way about you.
Speaker 3: Who from the cast shot you text about being on the mask singer?
Speaker 6: Uh, well, I was gonna say the only gosh, no, I didn't tell them.
Speaker 4: I didn't tell them, But.
Speaker 2: I mean, do they know now did you just send a text to me?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Now? Now, I mean, like Angela, it.
Speaker 6: Was so great shot, and Angela and Jenna both posted and then I'm Jane Lynch as well.
Speaker 4: So that's so sweet.
Speaker 1: And I know you're still We'll let you go because but I know you have stuff coming up with Jane. You guys are still traveling and doing the show together, and yell, are this Christmas?
Speaker 4: For sure? Yeah.
Speaker 1: If there are two funnier women in the world, I dare you to find them.
Speaker 2: In the office, rebould be the two of them running an office.
Speaker 1: I just like being backstage with them, just hang with them for a little bit because, by the way, there's no off switch. They're just the friend of you. Of course, they do.
Speaker 4: Chemistry, Chris, it's it's chemistry.
Speaker 6: We've committed chemistry you'll truly do from another myster That's what it is.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you it's so fun to get to play with your friends like little.
Speaker 6: If you get to if you trust people and you get to take you know, take it to the it's fantastic.
Speaker 4: It's the best talk.
Speaker 1: It's like a masterclass in comedy. Just brilliant women doing it at a very high level. But y'all seem to, just like you said, they seem to just have such joy in it and so much fun. If you ever have a chance to see Jane and Kate, please go do it.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thank you guys so much, so nice to talk to you. To you too.
Speaker 1: I was good to see you. And uh we will continue to keep up with what's going on. And uh, I can't wait till she's going to be on Special Forces on Fox. No, I'm just kidding, she's not going to do it. From the Mass singer Tim, what's next? See you're in the Camo crawling through the woods.
Speaker 2: I would be rooting for you. Love about the Traders. Can't go on Traders.
Speaker 4: I don't know you guys. I like to sleep in my own bed.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: We'll please give Jane or love. And it was great to talk to you. We will see you soon.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys so much. Take care of Thank you.
Speaker 1: Who did it?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: Did we did?
Speaker 1: We?
Speaker 4: We did?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 1: Was damn good to see you again.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Really hope to see him.
Speaker 1: I know you.
Speaker 4: Take care, Yeah you too, Thanks again.
Speaker 3: Bye, Well babe, did we We most certainly did.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Thanks to Kate Flannery and her and Jane Lynch. They do such great work. With the Alzheimer's Association in Southern California. They will be doing their Magic of Music gala again this May, So we just wanted to give them a shout out for all the awesome work that they do. Jane's aunt was affected by Alzheimer's, and as she has astutely said many times, who doesn't know someone who is affected by Alzheimer's? So I just so love and appreciate the women that they are like bringing us joy and doing great work in the world.
Speaker 2: What gems one of the.
Speaker 1: Things I you know that the old adage of you know, don't meet your heroes, you might you're going to be disappointed.
Speaker 5: With Kate.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we do interviews like this and we get a chance to expose people like the podcast world does, because she is such a good human and a dear person. And the few times that I've been able to interact with her and hang out for an evening, her and Jane, You're just like God, y'all are just so unaffected, such kind people that truly start asking about you, and they truly care. You realize their success is not an accident. They are They are brilliant at.
Speaker 4: What they do.
Speaker 2: God I hope we get the Office beabs.
Speaker 3: It's the only thing I can get behind because it's like, they're all such good people.
Speaker 2: I want them to be working again. I want them to bring all of us joy.
Speaker 1: You know, you and I we talk about Lauren and I talk about everything privately, like reboots and sequels and all this stuff, And often there is a line that you and I use of, like who asked for this? Nobody asked for this? Why are they giving us this sequel and this whatever? This is one of those things in life everybody is asking for this.
Speaker 5: Please, I'm throwing.
Speaker 1: This out there to the powers that be, whatever gods there are of the Office, please give this to us. Our thanks to Kate Flannery. Thank you so much. It was such a joy talking to her, and it's always a joy talking to you. And we will do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most Dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.