Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Zaren Hey, Yes, over here.
Speaker 3: I wasn't napping.
Speaker 2: It's cool, it's fine.
Speaker 3: I was to my eyes were awake.
Speaker 2: It's my eyes are too small for this. You know it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. Thank god you asked me. Those over here just nap, not napping, waiting for you to ask me that you know the actor Oscar Isaac, Yeah, you like him podammer and in the Star Wars movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Also, uh was it but the cat and the in one of my there you go, Davis? Okay, so he's an actual, real musician. Yeah, not just.
Speaker 2: Llewell and Davis be saying on the on the soundtrack. Yeah, he's good, He's really good.
Speaker 3: Did you know he used to be in bands?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You should see that. He was in SKA bands, waits sco.
Speaker 3: Bands with great names like Petrified Frogs and Closet Heterosexuals. Oh god, the worms.
Speaker 2: But also they're like fifteen people on stage?
Speaker 3: Is a sad Elizabeth answer. That question answers itself. So also, though he was successful as a ska band artist, he was the lead singer. In case you wanted wondering where he was not in like the horn section. Yeah, he's up front, knees up. Yeah. So uh. He actually opened for Green Day and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones when he was a member of the group The Blinking Underdogs.
Speaker 2: The Blinking Underdogs. The nineties were a wild time. I think everyone was in a SKA band, whether they knew it or not. That was in tune.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: I found out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw pictures. I was like, what am I doing on stage? Later?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is ridiculous. I love that he was in a SKO band. But you know what else is ridiculous?
Speaker 3: What else is religious? What else is ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Pokemon? Pokemon is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that yellow guy. Yeah totally.
Speaker 2: This is Ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. No, you heard that, that's right. The Yakuzas sarin Ah, Yes, my friends go on. It's a criminal organization. You didn't think would come up in our conversations about ridiculous crimes, not from you, No, well, not that they don't commit ridiculous crimes. They're just so murdery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough one because of all the kind of.
Speaker 2: Like the Italian and American mafias, or like outlaw biker gangs, which I love to talk about, but I can't love to hang out with. I love to be in one, but I you know, the Yakuza. I am going to talk to you about them today.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious how you're going to avoid this parts.
Speaker 2: Let's pretend that you've never heard of them. Okay, let me fill you in.
Speaker 3: Is this a boy band?
Speaker 2: I'm going a woman'splaining the Yakuza. Yes. So basically it's Japanese organized crime serena. Yeah. So the cops call them organized crime or violent groups is the term they use. They call themselves chivalrous organizations, gentlemen's club and like. For a while there they operated out of really well marked offices, and sometimes there were signs outside with the symbols of their trade.
Speaker 3: Japanese opera lovers.
Speaker 2: Like samurai swords or like a lantern, and like films cartoons made them out to be noble outlaws with his code of honor.
Speaker 3: The Yuza were talking about about them.
Speaker 2: Say it with me again. Yakuza yakuzza.
Speaker 3: They do jacuzzi, but it's a little more.
Speaker 2: Menacence adjacent jacuzzi adjacent Yakuza. They do have a very strict code, both for like hierarchy and for their conducts.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, I've heard this.
Speaker 2: And many of them, many of them have sick ass tattoos all over their bodies. I've also heard this just now, just learning this. But you can't see them because they wear sick ass suits.
Speaker 3: That's a good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They pull fraud, they run drugs and guns. They engage in human trafficking and murder for hire. It sounds like they have a large talk about it parties, a big one. Yeah, but you know, they also provide disaster relief after major earthquakes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm just hearing about this now from you. This is interesting. It's like Fukushima you're talking about all.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about. Yeah, the mafia and outlaw biker gangs, like they do stuff that supports their communities while also doing things that destroy their communities.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like Capone with the free turkeys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Thanksgiving turkey giveaways and arson, Yeah, toy drives and drive bys.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: So in the nineteen sixties, there were hundreds of thousands of members of the Yakuza. Hundreds of thousands not true today, Wow, membership is way down.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Last year just over twenty thousand. Whoa, Yeah, that's just a third of what it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you didn't know that. It did not at all. And so part of it is that the cops really cracked down. Okay, So there was legislation.
Speaker 3: I saw Black Rain with Michael Douglas. We should probably do something about it.
Speaker 2: It's gone to the point where pointing.
Speaker 3: Hello, it's a great movie.
Speaker 2: So they passed legislation that bars members from opening bank accounts, renting apartments, buying cell phones, creating insurance.
Speaker 3: So they did like the whole gang interdiction.
Speaker 2: Thing radius and then older members were dying off of course, and you know it's the old debtor in jail thing and to.
Speaker 3: Replace younger ones if you've got that with your bosses.
Speaker 2: But the crime must go on. So what does an organization do when they don't have enough members to carry out the necessary criminal activity?
Speaker 3: Elizabeth, This is a fascinating conunder. What does say a yak is a boss do when he doesn't have the necessary criminals to carry out his criminal operation enter the gig economy.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's this thing to Couru. Here's how the Guardian newspaper characterizes them. Oh god quote formed by the characters for anonymous and fluid. The term to Couru refers and I know I'm not saying that correctly, and I heardy apologies to the Japanese refers to ad hoc groups formed to commit crimes where members often don't know each other, or those planning and directing their activities. They are distinct from the Yukuza and less hierarchical, usually with loose organizational structures above those carrying out crimes ranging from robberies and frauds to assaults and murders. So they're basically like temp workers'ps. Yes, they float around, they commit the crimes and they move along. And this is the group that's doing the major crimes in Japan now, and the Yakuza they're pulling smaller and smaller jobs like pettier crimes. One of those crimes that the Yukuza is doing stealing Pokemon cards, which is what I am all about today, Pokemon crime.
Speaker 3: We were just talking about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got me thinking about it when you told the story of the dude who robbed the armored card. He tried to get away in the raft and the creek, and he later went on to counterfeit. So think of this episode as the spiritual sibling of our Batman episode, because it kind of came to me in much the same way. I've mentioned that I watched my nephew every Saturday, Yes, highlight of my week. As a result of this arrangement, I have a lot of toys in my house.
Speaker 3: Shout out to your nephew.
Speaker 2: Shout out to him, and for a while, they're the majority where Batman toys, and that remains true. Okay, but there's an up and comer, a little yellow fella real Pikachu.
Speaker 3: Oh you entered that phase?
Speaker 2: Did you? Did you know that, according to comic book dot com, pokem on is the highest grossing IP and intellectual property in the entertainment world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually I did know that because it's it is so enormous.
Speaker 2: It's huge. There are video games, cartoons and then the cars trading car backbone.
Speaker 3: Of hats with a little like press the button and it flaps.
Speaker 2: I mean the target audience is five to twelve. Okay, but you and I both know that people a lot older stick with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can be like a quadruple member of the target audience four times over.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like and like Harry Potter, they do it when they should know better.
Speaker 3: M h.
Speaker 2: I am a known Harry Potter hater. Yes, I have not read a book or seen.
Speaker 3: She hates Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: But see, I've seen enough of this whole thing to pity adults who are into it. So I figure I got the furries after me, why not add the Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: And you were ahead of the curve in the Harry Potter. I mean a lot of people are coming around regretting tattoos and so forth, and there you are just looking smart and you're not being smug about it.
Speaker 2: I'd i am, but I just the lesson is to yeh, go on. So the corporate ownership structure of Pokemon is weird.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Well, most ips are owned by one company usually, and Pokemon is actually jointly owned by three Nintendo, game Freak and then Creatures, and so game Freak does all the like main role playing games, which are then published by Nintendo exclusively for their consoles, and then Creatures does all the trading card games that they this TCGs is theyre called and then the related merch and they develop spinoff titles.
Speaker 3: Oh, they do merchan cards.
Speaker 2: So do you know where the name Pokemon comes from?
Speaker 3: Hey on, I'm guessing from some kind of like we were really into Jamaica at the time, and we were like, oh, but we also really love eating poke. Why don't we put our two loves together poke and like, hame on a Pokemon from.
Speaker 2: A poke a Hawaiian poke shop in Jamaica. Hey on, No, it's the original full name of the franchise's Pocket Monsters, Poke and Mond.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: There you go. And so if you use Pokemon as a noun, which I think you probably should, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: To use it as I want to go Pokemon that meal over there? See those noodles about to be Pokemon up.
Speaker 2: Singular and plural forms are the same, okay, And that goes and that goes for all the individual species names as well. So if you say one Pokemon or twelve Pokemon or one Pikachu and nine million p ka chew, I got you. Yeah, And the official pronunciation is Pokemon and then or you can also officially say pokemonkemon, or if you're a jerk like me, you like to irritate people, you can say Pokemon.
Speaker 3: What if I just want to call it pokemon.
Speaker 2: You can call it pokemon, poke, Pokemon. That's the new Okay, So that's the alternative that I needed more information, So I went to pokemon dot com and I read the Pokemon basics page for parents. Lord, here's what they say under what are Pokemon?
Speaker 3: These are answers for parents. Yeah, they're trying to like get schooled on what their kids are too.
Speaker 2: So they're like, hey, Siri, what are pokemon? Quote. In the world of Pokemon, Pokemon are creatures of all shapes and sizes who live alongside humans. People known as Pokemon trainers, form lasting friendships with their Pokemon partners, and as a team, they go on adventures trained to improve their skills and battle in friendly competitions. During their journeys, Pookemon grow and become more experienced, and even on occasion, evolve in just stronger Pokemon. Ask a child what their favorite Pokemon is and you're bound to get an enthusiastic response. There are over a thousand Pokemon for you and your child to discover together Shizon's my favorite amazing story. Well, so like this is one hundred percent of kid thing like that that from the source. They're like, this is for kids. Well, so okay, like I said, my nephew has discovered Pokemon. He has a kid, and he's a kid. He's five. He has some cards, but mostly he's into Pikachu. Course, just the image, just the image of it. And right now, his his Pokemon world is like stuffies and those decorations on crocs and like a couple of cards from a McDonald's happy Mail. That's like, there's probably more, but I wasn't paying attention. Zaren. You actually saw him the other day and you were asking him how he would rob a bank and what he did with the money. And that got me thinking, okay, conversation well, and I wasn't thinking about how appropriate your conversations may or may not be with kids. It got me thinking about Pokemon crime. So I looked it up and apparently there's a crime that takes place in the world of Pokemon. But when I started reading about it, my eyes glazed over in my mind wandered, kind of like when you start talking about your ridiculous takeswak I know that. Look, but then I saw a word that grabbed my attention.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 2: Yeahkuza, Oh hey, I'm just learning about that. Not very kid friendly, but just as most intellectual property aimed at kids these days, Pokemon has been co opted or never grown out of, by plenty of adults. And adults like to collect things, which is the goal of Pokemon, and they have jobs, so they have money, right, And you made that really a stude observation recently about collectors and people collecting things in order to hang on to the past and memory.
Speaker 3: Oh I said that.
Speaker 2: You did say that, and that holds true for Pokemon cars.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, definitely I could see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when people collect things that gives them monetary value, sometimes rare things obviously have more worth. Pokemon cards no different.
Speaker 3: And childhood things that you can buy like Arson Wells and Citizen Kane.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, exactly. So. The most expensive Pokemon card ever sold was the nineteen ninety eight illustrator Pikachu card with a ten rating, and you covered that when we talked about the Bad Guy Collector. It was sold in twenty twenty two for five million, two hundred and seventy eight thousand dollars to Logan Paul guy the boxer Dinge no, the brother of the oh guy that's going to fight Mike Tyson. They both have such punchable face.
Speaker 3: They're just one thing to me.
Speaker 2: I hope that Mike Tyson hits Jake Paul so hard that it gives Logan Paul brain. That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 3: Is that mean?
Speaker 2: Is that too violent? What's amazing? I am in the summer of dark Elizabeth. I'm noticing I've turned really I may no friends anymore. And when the world eases up, I'm going to go back to being super nice. So that I'm certified boogeyman, certified psychopath right now? Oh yeah, anyway, Logan Paul. So, he bought a Pokemon card for more than five million dollars, and that's an anomaly in terms of pricing. That's not like, Yeah, the next highest value card was the nineteen ninety seven Cherizard. That's when you like top Sun Blue Back also also had the grade of PSA ten that's sold in January of twenty twenty one for just under five hundred thousand dollars. Okay, so I got ripped off, I ripped off. But that's not ages five to twelve money. No, it is not. That's grown folks who should know better. Yeah, that is not like some of the prices aren't really holding Toothairy. That's the one who gives your money Toothair. The third most expensive card sale was the nineteen ninety nine first edition Shadowless Holographic shars Are number four.
Speaker 3: Oh of course, Yeah, that Shadowless Sharzar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole thing. So that's March twenty twenty two for four hundred and twenty thousand dollars for twenty bro. But another card like Smoking, also rated ten, sold in February of this year for just one hundred and sixty eight thousands.
Speaker 3: The price is going down.
Speaker 2: That one, it was, but not really. But it's still not ages five to twelve mon, No, not at all. It's just a bad investment. So back to the Yakuza, the boat of cards. I don't think they particularly cared about the Pokemon what cards. No, they cared about stealing something valuable there, and they weren't super fan.
Speaker 3: They weren't like cultural protectors.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't have Pikachu tattoos in the sleeve. Yeah, so they cause they didn't concern themselves with petty crime, but the to Koryu they were pulling bigger jobs now, and that left people like Keita Saito doing things like stealing Pokemon cards and not half a mill cards, sixteen hundred dollars worth of cards?
Speaker 3: What? Yeah, and this is one of the gig workers.
Speaker 2: No, this is a yakuza. Oh, actually yakuza. The guy I'm talking about, he's not the Keita Saito, who's the Japanese actor who was in Scott Pilgrim Versus the World. Okay, he's the Keita Saito who is the leader of the Teknagawa Gang.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Tokenawa Gang.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's a faction of the second largest yukuza syndicate, the Sumyoshi Kai.
Speaker 3: Ah see, I only know the Tokenagawa from the Shogun era. But yeah, well this is I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: So how the mighty have fallen? Yeah, telling Spectator magazine said, quote, it's as if Don Corleone had been reduced to running a shell game. Watch the ball which Kep is in under on some New York Backstreet man.
Speaker 3: So uh, showing like fraudulent olive oil.
Speaker 2: Get Tokyo Police announced the arrest of Saito earlier this year. Back in twenty twenty two, he broke into a home. Twenty nine items were stolen during the robbery, and that included twenty five valuable pokemonk and some lunch money. Yeah, basically, And they also arrested another guy in connection with the break in. He wasn't tied to Yakuza, but it makes me wonder if he was one of the gig workers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's still a candy dish.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the cops are still looking for a couple other guys involved. But the big takeaway, thank you for.
Speaker 3: Ask what is the big takeaway, Elizabeth?
Speaker 2: It's the Yakuza lieutenant got busted for trying to sell hot bulbosore cards and that tells you that they've fallen in power. Oh god, Yeah, Pokemon have grown in value. Waited Oh wow, balance the scale. Yeah, and in Japan, it's not just the Yakuza stealing Pokemon cards. That's where they're from. By the way, the Pokemon.
Speaker 3: Pokemons from Japan. Yeah, and the Yukuza they're from Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hand and hand cultural production. No. A couple of years ago, there was a Pokemon crime spree sweeping Japan. In August of twenty twenty two, thieves lifted around five hundred and forty cards worth about two hundred thousand dollars from a shop in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: Five hundred and forty. They're going to flood the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah for the best. Was this this Japanese guy who got busted for repelling down a bill right in order to steal Pokemon cards?
Speaker 3: Oh my, is he a gig worker?
Speaker 2: No safety harness, just vibe. No, he was an it worker in Tokyo and in March of twenty twenty one, he used a rope to sended a six story building to steal about eighty trading cards worth more than nine thousand dollars. And then he also found two thousand dollars in cash. And apparently he was desperate to get out of debt that he'd created for himself. It sounds like a scary way to try and get some quick cat.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's like a movie henchman like kind of crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: This is what he told the cops quote. I was in my high school's rock climbing club, so I wasn't afraid of heights. Okay, yeah, So the police identified him using surveillance footage. He gets arrested. They didn't say which Pokemon were taken or their condition upon recovery. But you know what, thoughts and prayers, prayer, Let's take a break. When we come back, we're going to look into more card theft and other Pokemon misadventures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Elizabeth Zareny, Yeah you did Pokemon.
Speaker 3: Okay, Pokemon.
Speaker 2: Pokemon theft isn't just a japan thing.
Speaker 3: I bet not. I bet it goes down here too.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing the good old us of A knows how to export its ridiculous card.
Speaker 3: I knew it.
Speaker 2: And what's more American and criminal than Walmart, USA, USA. July twenty fourth, twenty twenty two, Ohio's Bowling Green police were called to Walmart on West Gypsy Lane Road. There were two people inside the store stocking up on Pokemon cards, and Walmart employees they watched the pair and they who happened to be wearing black masks, and yet the employees recognized them as a man and a woman who's stolen from Walmart in the past. So the man and the woman they used the automotive entrance to get into the store, okay, and they just started loading up on Pokemon cards. And a cop parked outside, so that you know, the employees call cop comes. He parks outside the automotive.
Speaker 3: These aren't special, these are just in the normal with the gum.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He gets out of his car. The cop does. He looks around the corner of the building, sees the suspects red Chevy with a broken side window covered in plastic the old probable cosmobiles.
Speaker 3: They have cardboard.
Speaker 2: It was a ready season. A second officer parked across the street and a third park down the road. Boys, we got ourselves a take down.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you. Perimeter security.
Speaker 2: So dispatch told the cops that the store's loss prevention had lost sight of the duo, and that's when the cop parked near the building saw the busted up Chevy driving toward the exit and passed the officer who was parked across the street. Also, so the two people seen in the vehicle matched the description given by the employee the cops. They tried to pull the Chevy over a couple of blocks away, but them duke boys weren't all about that, so they took off. The Chevy takes off. The cops hit the blues and twos the losses.
Speaker 3: They were born.
Speaker 2: It happened to make their way anyway. They know how I can just start singing the whole thing. So anyway, the Chevy Chevy gets onto the freeway starts going speeds over one hundred and five miles an hour.
Speaker 3: For pokemon cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they must have had a couple of them rated tens in there, right. So the chase goes on a couple of cars driving up on the shoulders both right and left to get around heavy traffic. Then they get off the freeway, they spin out and then continue down another road. Sure they would like slow for a stop sign, but not fully right, No, just a Chevy's say it's the shovvyest like entification. They didn't fully stop. Add that to the charges. And then they took off it over one hundred miles an hour again I love Yeah, And at that point the officer lost sight of the vehicle and they had to terminate the pursuit.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: The cops were wiped out, Like, oh, how that took it out of me. They go back to the station to regroup and like think this out, kind of just catch a breath, and and they're given photos of the store surveillance and they look and they're like, that's Nicholas Starkey and Kayla Cannaba. They're frequent flyers. They know they're like, I know them. So those who must have grabbed some serious loot from the Walmart, like forget great value and faded glory stuff. They went for Pokemon of course. Yeah, how much of the good stuff did they grab?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Lord, dollars. According to the police report, two hundred and eighty four dollars in merchandise was taken from the No, that's the saddest trombone right there, and then they got busted.
Speaker 3: Saddest misdemeanor.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty two. That was a rough year for Pokemon cards. I keep bringing it up. Why let's do a little side quest. Oh, I've been talking about the value of the cards and how they for the most part.
Speaker 3: Keep going talk about the aesthetic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well not yet and some of them, some of the cards are super rare, which makes them even more valuable. Obviously. What does the Pokemon company think about all this?
Speaker 3: Elizabeth? I was curious with all of this. You know, Oh, we make cards, some of them, we make a lot of some we make a few of What do they think about that? The value creation.
Speaker 2: They are aware, they are not happy. Oddly enough, remember they want this to be for kids, and they're actively trying to curb the speculation.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, See, it's been tough to get Pokemon cards for the past few years. I bet because right around their twenty fifth anniversary the cards got really popular again. And so, like you take this combination of pandemic boredom, oh right, nostalgia, and then the notion that like, I've got all these cards in my mom's garage that might make me rich, I'm sitting on wealth. Old and new Pokemon cards start selling out as soon as they hit store shelves. Wow, Like, it's just crazy. They told you my nephew had some from a McDonald's Happy Meal. People were buying stole them, he stole them from another kid people at your request. People were buying those burgers just for the special cards. They're like, I'll take six Happy Meals and just for the car cards.
Speaker 3: I bet they threw the food away with that, thinking.
Speaker 2: To say, probably a hate waste of food, theft and crazy customer behavior. When the new cards dropped got so bad that Target took the cards off their shelves and only sold them online.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding you right now.
Speaker 3: You people can't have these. Get away from us. Don't even come into our store. We don't have them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a grown ass people acting crazy. Card grading services like the one here. I was thinking they had so many requests for grading from collectors that they had to pause new submissions in order to get through their backlog.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: No, So the Pokemon company sees this, Yeah, this is how they responded. Quote, We're aware that some fans are experiencing difficulties purchasing certain Pokemon Trading card game products due to the very high demand. They said this in a tweet. In response, we are reprinting impacted products at maximum capacity. More fans can enjoy the Pokemon TCG.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say, they control the production. How do they flood the zone?
Speaker 2: What's maximum capacity? We're wondering, we're sitting out here. In twenty twenty two, the company produced more than nine billion with a B cards, whole ninety billion as many as the year before, when they made three point seven billion cards. They usually print between one and two billion cards a year, and that means that more than forty five billion cards have been produced since the game launched, nine billion in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of ink.
Speaker 2: More than a quarter of all Pokemon cards printed were produced from twenty twenty to twenty twenty two. Yeah, more than a quarter. So that's why we see this twenty twenty two uptick one place that ticked on up.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the fans would just come up with a whole This is a pre twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two That's exactly what happened. Yeah, and so punch Out Gaming, Forest Lake, Minnesota, little shop. In February of twenty twenty two, a thief broke into a vacant store next door to punch Out Gaming and punched out. Broke through the sheared wall like some sort of crazy coolid. They punched in. Over the course of about two hours, the dude emptied out two entire storage rooms full of Pokemon products. Wow, and the store's alarm never went off because it was only the door. Robber man never went in or out of a door. And how much Pokemon? Wait, did this guy move one hundred and fifty thousand dollars worth of merchandise?
Speaker 3: Damn?
Speaker 2: The owner of the store said quote, he must have had help because there were a lot of boxes, and according to Fox nine, who interviewed him, quote, the gaming store has been opened for eight years and the theft has been a big hit to the small, family owned business. Quote. I realized how much money, product and time we put into it, and I just started crying. I can't recover this product because our distributors don't have any so even with the insurance money, that doesn't do us any good, said Johnson. Though, yeah, but all was not lost, Oh good. Apparently the whole online Pokemon community rallied around the store and kept an eye open for online listings that might be selling the stolen goods. And then the cops were able to identify the purpse. Well not not the cops, per se. Online sleuths identified the men because they had surveillance footage right, and the guy was wearing a mask, and then all these people online did this reconstruction of what his face would look like and it's hilarious looking. I'll put it in there. Oh yeah, so they and then once they idem, then the cops got the nail in the coffin DNA.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: I'm serious of it? Turns out. I guess they from the shop and they figured, okay, we had the people are like, we've identified a Matthew Cooper's and then this guy, Dustin Witturn. They worked together to break into the store. They used a knife to cut through the drywall. They creeped in through the hole, stole the cards and the merchandise. Somewhere along the line they left DNA. I'm impressed that police there used that technology for a burglary. That's above and beyond, and I love it.
Speaker 3: I know you're always about touch DNA.
Speaker 2: I am. They got charged with third degree burglary and then the store they you know, upgraded their security alarms that monitored more than the door. They also leased the space next door where they broke in, and they made it into a new gaming area. Well look at that happy ending all the way around. One another happy ending.
Speaker 3: I love Pokemon happy endings.
Speaker 2: This one has spoiler alert happy ending. So it was a quiet day recently at pro Play Games in Miami. It's a little shop that's located in one of those two story strip malls on a busy multi lane avenue.
Speaker 3: I can picture it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the strip mall is in it's in a huge complex that makes sort of an L shape coming off a big public.
Speaker 3: Smart imagine coral colored paint.
Speaker 2: I like publics. I wish we had them out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're good.
Speaker 2: The recently defunct Florida Career College looks to have taken up most of the top floor of one half of the complex. There's a dentist's office, a nail salon, a smoke shop, a Chinese restaurant, a place does concealed gun permits.
Speaker 3: This is so Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is freestyle fighting academy.
Speaker 3: Like I'm visiting family. This is amazing freestyle fighting academy.
Speaker 2: Oh I heard you and pro play games.
Speaker 3: Yeah all together.
Speaker 2: Sure, a lot more, but you get the picture. Speaking of picture, yes, zarens Oh, yeah, I want you to picture it. It's a warm May day in Miami. You're an eight year old girl. Your mom was in the phlebotomy program at Florida Career College, but the whole place closed down a few months ago after the FEDS busted them for cooking the enrollment in federal financial aid books. You're standing outside the college on the outdoor second floor walkway of the shopping center where the college is located. Traffic whizzes by while you both wait for someone to come and open the door. Your mom and a handful of other students have been told they can come by today to empty out lockers they had in the medical training area, and they're also hoping to get their hands on hard copies of their transcript. The whole thing has been a nightmare. You're a patient, helpful girl. As the door opens and a former administrator ushers the students in, your mom turns to you and hands you a ten dollars bill that's way more than she normally would give you, and you aren't sure she can afford it. You hesitate, and she gently caresses the top of your head and tells you to go down to the gaming shop in the corner. They have Pokemon cards, and she says you can get some. Wait there and she'll come and get you in she's done, You smile and skip down the outdoor walkway toward pro play games. You went in there once before when you had to go with your mom for her to go to school. The people in there are super nice. The door chimes as you walk in, and the lady behind the counter smiles and greets you. You say hello, and put your hands in your pockets, just like your mom told you. Look, don't touch, not until you're ready to take something up to the counter. A pop song plays faintly in the sound system as you peruse a rack of Pokemon card packs. You can't see what's inside them anyway, so it's no problem to just look at the outside. You check the prices and move on cataloging the ones you may come back for. You walk over by the counter and look at some one of the comic book titles they have. Glancing over at the case full of multi sided dice, you think that maybe when you're older, you'll be able to play games that use those, but for now, it's a little too complicated. A man walks up to the counter and asks to look at a binder full of Pokemon cards kept behind the clerk. She smiles and lays the binder down on the counter. You inch closer to get a look at some of the special cards. There. That's a big binder, you whisper to yourself. The clerk hears you holds three thousand cards, she says, you whistle. Impressed with that, You peer into the binder and see bright colors and hologram edges, and you think about where you'd put those special cards if you had them. You keep them in that cool cigar box your grandpa gave you, the one that smells faintly of floral tobacco. The customer looks at the binder and then quickly closes it. He scoops it up and heads for the door. Hey you yell, drop the stuff, yells the woman behind the counter. The man just laughs and walks away the door chiming is he exits. There's a couple other people in the store, and they follow the man out, yelling for him to stop. The owner of the shop comes out of the back and heads for the door. You go to follow, but the clerk calls you back. You stay here, she says. Outside the store, a group has formed around the man with the binder. They shout for him to drop the goods, to stop, to hand it over. You press your face to the glass window to get a look at the action. They're muffled shouting is both scary and exciting. The man pulls a pair of pliers from his pocket and makes stabbing motions at the people around him. They all gasp. Then the guy takes off down the stairs toward the parking lot. His feet hit the hot, black assphalt and he starts to run, but not particularly fast. The owner of the store, still at the top of the stairs, yell stop, saef help. It's like something out of an old movie. You walk out the door of the shop and peer over the railing, watching as the guy trots away. Remember how I told you that freestyle fighting academy was located in this shopping center. Well, the good folks there here. The owners cries for help. Two guys on their way in to teach jiu jitsu at the academy see the man with the binder. They chase after him, yelling for him to stop. They easily catch up with him and tag him to the ground. That's got to hurt, you think. You look up above you and see that there's a security camera aimed right at the action. That'll come in handy later, you think. By this time, the owner and other bystanders have reached the man with the binder. The two martial arts coaches have me pinned down, and others join in holding the thief to the ground. You hear sirens approaching. You better get back over to your mom. She'll be worried. You walk back along the outdoor covered walkway and figure you'll wait outside the door for your mom. Just as you arrive, the door opens and she walks out. She's smiling. She tells you that one of the other students hooked her up with a job at a doctor's office and they'll help her finish her certification. You haven't seen her this relieved and happy in a long time. She asked, if you got anything good? Nope, you say anything interesting? Nope, you say You hand her back the ten dollars bill, take her hand, and walk in the opposite direction of the police action to her car. She's none the wiser, nothing to worry her today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I love community actions.
Speaker 2: So this guy, Jesse L. Manfer All Man for All, Yeah, he tried to walk out of that shop with three thousand Pokemon cards.
Speaker 3: Sarah, what's your new fake name of choice? You mean me, mister man for All.
Speaker 2: That was thirty thousand dollars worth of cards that he had in that ninth Yeah. And so he gets booked into jail on charges of grand theft and aggravated assault, and the day was saved. It's like something out of a comic book or a cool game. Yes, there's footage. I'm going to have the interns put that on Instagram too. Let's pause here for some ads, and when we come back more Pokemon zaren. So we've established the Pokemon cards easy to steal. It's a lucrative lift. You know what, the most valuable Pokemon cards. It's your favorite, not just for trading and collecting, what for like sex guys, strip Pokemon trip Pokemon University University of Georgia, Athens police officers were dispatched to Lipscomb Hall on August nineteenth, twenty twenty two. That's our big year, University of Georgia, twenty twenty two, one eight am one. They got called on a report from an employee that a student was throwing up in the hall and bedroom, which I don't believe that warrants a call to the cops, but that's an interesting call. Not a party school. So officers they go to the student's dorm and they find him unconscious and laying on his bed and his roommate's laying on the other bed. Okay, so they just passed out. The cops try to talk to the student, but he wouldn't wake up, and the officer just like shakes him, shakes and still doesn't wake up. They checked his pulse normal.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he's a lot yeah, like Jimi Hendrix.
Speaker 2: There's one groups. So they just keep like shaking him. They feel he's got a pulse, so they just keep shaking him, and finally he wakes up and he's all disoriented. This is all in the police report. With some quick on the spot investigation, the cops determined that the student was under twenty one years of age. They continued their investigation. He's like they asked how many drinks he's had, four beers. Had you taken any drugs? No? So they're like, so you're a lightweights getting super light and like one of them writes it down in his little notebook of secrets and riddles. So when asked if you'd taken any medication, the student said he'd taken melatonin. Okay. So they're like, so you're gonna have some crazy nightmares, got it scribble And the cops were like, how did you get the alcohol if you're under twenty one? He's like, I went to a bar. Okay, how'd you get into the bar? He's like, I use my ID. He gets his wallet out and he hands them a Schaizard card. That's how he got into the bars, a Pokemon card.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Okay, I'll put it this way. A lot of people are unaware of the fact that those bouncers often only care if you go through the act of showing them a card. I didn't realize that when I was young until I tried it because one day I wanted to get in. I wasn't twenty one. I was with a bunch of people who were older and they were so I said, hey, let me see your ID. He's like, oh, I don't have I only have my idea. I'm like, you were just saying you have an expired ID. He's like, oh yeah, I'm like give it to me. So I use an expired idea of my friend, who was a very light skinned Jewish man, looked nothing like me. The guy the bouncer looked at it, laughed his ass off at means like, all right, going in because I made him laugh, and I went through the whole respecting his job. I'm just telling you is that I'm not surprised at a I.
Speaker 2: Can't find this guy's name and what he really what if he actually looked exactly like Sharazar. That would be dope, and they're like, well that makes sense. Yeah, Pokemon Sorry, we've always been careful. Pokemon Go is happening. You're very valuable around as a total side of Pokemon Go. But yeah, there were so many crimes associated with Pokemon Go of like trespassing, and then they're all like.
Speaker 3: People getting robbed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and then there's like super violent crimes that we won't but yeah, that that could be its whole.
Speaker 3: And then the one person like walked off the cliff.
Speaker 2: It's crazy anyway, So he used that card to get into the bars. An ambulance showed up, checked the kid out. He declined transport to a hospital, which is smart because ambulance rides are expensive, and then he was given medical amnesty from any charges because they were just more concerned about his well being. So could you imagine trying to live that down? Like your two things, you're either like I would tell everybody legend or you're like the biggest nerds.
Speaker 3: How am I not a legend? I gave the comps a Shahrazard card and they're like, sorry, where do you what is this? I'm like this is my ID, And they're like, are you kidding me? I went through my.
Speaker 2: Whole night with this. Yeah, I guess he is a legend. Good good on him. Back to the robbing and stealing, the burning and looting.
Speaker 3: You think he's a nerd?
Speaker 2: I do one thing. It's one thing to steal Pokemon stuff from a card shop, sure, whether you bust through a wall or just walk right out. But it's another to go after the collectors. Do they make good targets individually? Oh yeah, you better believe it. Oh yeah. And yet another twenty twenty two crime. Wow, a grown man had his card stolen from right out from under him.
Speaker 3: The rest of us had no idea so much Pokemon was going on. Two.
Speaker 2: Christopher Polydoro a sixty two year old insurance broker in South Carolina. He lives in a seven bedroom, sixty eight hundred square foot home right on the water.
Speaker 3: He's doing well selling insurance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he kept his collection of valuable Pokemon first edition cards and a temperature controlled collectible room in his house.
Speaker 3: Room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not like a gun safe, now, like a room. And like if you're at his house for a party and he tries to like flex on you and brag and show you this room and then I just like impede my pants laughing and then escort it out.
Speaker 3: You said, this is a seven bedroom home, so yeah, only six of them are bedrooms. One is a temperature controlled Pokemon bedrooms.
Speaker 2: And then on top of that, there's an extra room. It's it's a candy spelling gift wrap room. It's its own thing. It's its own thing.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't just all Pokemon cards. There were baseball, football, basketball cards in there too. Had like a Jackson three unopened boxes of Pokemon cards went missing. Polydor told investigators that the only other individuals to ever enter the collectible's room in the past nine months were workers with an h VAC company. So he's not even showing this stuff off anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no friends, no family, doesn't even have like a Pokemon buddy to.
Speaker 2: Come over and look at his lightest two adult sons, and he lives with his fiance. Okay, those are my suspects. The best part is that the police report states that the Pokemon cards were valued at half a billion dollars. A yeah, and is there like a parenthesis ha ha ha ha. That's obviously not true. And then Polydor told the press that the cop me to typeout they're actually worth half a million dollars five hundred thousand dollars worth of Pokemon cards. That's insane, that's nuts. He said they actually believe that too. He said he bought the cards more than twenty years ago, and that the unopened boxes each had twenty four packs of cards in them.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: One of the boxes, he said, contained a valuable Japanese edition of the cards, and his valuation was based on recent auction sales that brought in six figures for similar first edition boxes issued in nineteen ninety nine. So that's what you're saying, like, if you can get the pre twenty twenty two massive run. The collection was not insured. And again, I don't think it was the HVAC guys. I think it's the two grown kids. I think they did it. That's pure speculation on my part, don't sue me. I think it was Nicholas Cage, and in concert with Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying. The man's a collector. He's known to break in to steal things. I think so was there a woman he get impressed with this card?
Speaker 2: Because case clothes we solved it. Next we have thefts from stores, thefts from collectors. What about thefts from the source, from the fact.
Speaker 3: The magazine Hip hop magazine, the source.
Speaker 2: With the game on the cover. This is from the factory itself. So apparently steps from Pokemon printing factories became a trend during the pandemic. Prices are starting to go up. If you're a factory worker and you see this paper gold come sliding on by you on a production inside jobs gangster's breakdown, of course you're sitting right there. Got to catch them all.
Speaker 4: The gold is going right past you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. And so the Pokemon company that's the like the found out about this and quietly tried to put a stop to it. And then last year the biggest every factory theft came to light. Well, a photo went around of thousands of Fusion strikes secret rare cards that were stolen from a factory in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Fusion strikes, Fusion strikes, Sarin Elizabeth, This fusion strike you mentioned, you know.
Speaker 2: What what is? It beats me. Even after reading this explanation on the Pokemon website, the road ahead reveals limitless potential with the Pokemon TCG Sword and Shield Fusion Strike expansion, offering opportunities for Pokemon and trainers alike to reach new heights. The most recent expansion introduces the third and final battlestyle, Fusion Strike, joining Rapid Strike Style and Single Strike Style. The Fusion Strike style prioritizes teamwork and adaptability to deliver powerful attacks. Explore the power of teamwork in Pokemon. TCG Sword and Shield Fusion Strike. So they didn't want to call it tag team. It's still not clear, so let me go on. Fusion Strikes style is all about adapting and overcoming. Powerful Pokemon like Mew Hoopa and Jena Sect embrace this striking new style, while Deoxy Please harness the power of all three battle styles. Awesome new trainer cards help complement the power and balance all of the Fusion Strike style. Make strategic use of cards like the Cross Switcher item card to keep opponents off balance and ensure your active and benched Pokemon are exactly where you need them. Use the Power Tablet item card to maximize Fusion Strike attacks by doing additional damage, and the Spongy Gloves Pokemon tool card maximizes damage against certain types of Pokemon. This expansion features dozens of new Pokemon five and or is it v and vmax, plus many alternate art versions to collect. With powerful attacks and massive HP, these Pokemon can create unique challenges for your opponents, from a rill a boom vmax with an incredible three point thirty HP to a single strike cinde Ice vmax with some fiery tendencies to an intelli on v Max with a passion for stuff. This expansions Pokemon v Max could not be underestimated. So at this point they're not speaking a human language anymore.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth, I have this headgear. I'd like you to put this on. I'd like you to read all of that again with the head gear on. Could you do that for me?
Speaker 2: Vmax from vax incredible three HP?
Speaker 3: You like?
Speaker 2: I don't it? May, I'm more.
Speaker 3: Confused and sounds for you.
Speaker 2: I know that I feel like I'm having a stroke. The stolen Fusion Strike cards, they're passed around the criminal underworld, like so many spongy gloves, being offered. Finally to a hobby store in Texas called Trading Card World, very unique name. Someone came in and was like, you want to buy a set of these Fusion strikes and then they were like, what's that, and they had to explain the whole thing you read from the Pokemon website like I just did. The shop owners like, okay, that makes sense. So the shop they checked them out and they saw that these were thousands of the very rarest cards ever on Earth ever, and they're like, this guy's not a regular collector, like.
Speaker 3: No one has.
Speaker 2: This had to have come from the source.
Speaker 3: Like if you walked in with Wagner cards.
Speaker 2: There's this there's this amazing Pokemon website called PokeBeach dot com.
Speaker 3: What like beach like as in were the waves beach be.
Speaker 2: This beach over beach poke Beach. So it's like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Him on I'm seeing the Jamaicans coming back around, coming back to its source.
Speaker 2: They reported quote the seller explained his connection to his source, and we immediately contacted TPCI, which would be the Pokemon Company International through proper channels. The store stated tpc I opened an investigation and a private investigator flew out to collect the cards from the store. Pokemon expressed to this or that quote it was the largest return of stolen property to date. Pokemon concluded their investigation on January twenty twenty two, which probably means they identified the original thief, so they kept it hush. They put a lock, so we don't know the full value too. No, none of that. Poke Beach pointed out that people thought having all the good cards taken out before they were sealed into packs meant that fans couldn't get any good cards when they opened the packs.
Speaker 3: That's what I would think.
Speaker 2: The odds wouldn't be in your favor. More on this from Poke Beach, oh thank you quote. The cards seem to have been stolen during the production phase. When they're stored in boxes. The secret rares are printed separately from other cards because of their texture. The secret rares are printed on large sheets, cut into individual cards, and stored in long white boxes. See this, I can understand. I can follow this.
Speaker 3: Gold ticket stuff for.
Speaker 2: Kamon language. But these guys make sense, Okay, I'll continue on. At least five of those white boxes are packed into a cardboard box that sent off to machines that sort the cards into booster packs. The machine loads different boxes of cards into each booster pack depending on their rarity. We imagine the sorting machines alert the workers when they're running low on certain rarities, meaning packs shouldn't have escaped the factory without the proper rate of secret raars, Otherwise it would be common for packs to be missing cards. The factories also weigh every single booster pack. This not only ensures that the packs have the proper amount of cards in them, but it's also so that they know what code card to insert into the packs. Specret wraars are heavier than a normal card, so lighter code cards are put in the packs to cancel out the weight difference. This prevents packweighing an aftermarket, so it's unlikely packs with improper weights would have left the factory floor, let alone on a scale large enough to impact the entire print run. There's multiple checks and balances in place. I'm so impressed with it. It's fascinating. I have no idea, Like I'm thinking, like, yeah, they just shuffle them up and throw cut them, yeah, cut them, bag them.
Speaker 3: Much thought put in, like lifter cards and stuff or waider cards what you want to call them.
Speaker 2: So it seems to me, what.
Speaker 3: Does it seem to you?
Speaker 2: A little? But there's nowhere safe for Pokemon cards except for in the grubby hands of a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where they immediately tarnished the value by making them not being pristine value.
Speaker 2: I put love on them, Yes, exactly, Zaren. What is your ridiculous takeaway.
Speaker 3: When it comes to things like, uh, collectibles, I hate boxes. So like I've I was you know, I had friends one time, Elizabeth, when I was a kid. When I was a kid, I had friends and they used to like some of them were like only children, and they were like, Oh, I'm going to collect stuff and then I'm going to sell back to you in a couple of years. And I was like, I'm not going to buy. They're like, yeah, you will, yeah, And I'm like what. They're like, yeah, no, because look at this value. And they'd show me the value and I'm like, I don't care. I don't I want the toy to play with. They're like, you're dumb, You're you'll buy this, and I'm like, you future collectors. And my point is this is that some people would rather have the pleasure of knowing they're going to get a deal or money in the future, and that delights them. I just want to play with my toys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not a collector in that way, but I do collect stuff and then I make it all grubby. So I'm not really a collector. I'm more of like a stuff haver.
Speaker 2: But I think it's a true collector because it's for a personal thing I look at, like, here, let me give you my ridiculous takeaways. Thank you for as I didn't really care, but go on. I feel like we primed the pump for millennials to get super heavy into this because the nineties were Pokemon and beanie babies. Oh yeah, and a couple of beanie babies were like kids weren't allowed to play with beanie babies, like they had to leave the tags on because they were going to gain value.
Speaker 3: They had a bunch of other stuff, like those pocket walk things.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, all sorts of that stuff. So but it was like here's a toy, but it's not a toy. I don't really play with it. This is going to be worth something later on. And so then now like they're all kind of looking back at their childhood stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, instead of like lovingly, like you know, looking at that kind of thing. And so I just anytime I see a beanie baby with a tag on it, I want to pull the tag off. It's supposed to be. It's the summer of dark Elizabeth. I not like I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna watch my p's and q's.
Speaker 2: I have been pushed to my absolute limit and it doesn't help. But it's like nine thousand degrees right now.
Speaker 3: That is driving always does that about you. You get a little prickly when it gets hot with that mercury climb.
Speaker 2: Also, it's just even so I just these days. Oh, there's a lot to get there's a lot to get heated about. The world's kind of crazy, yeah, and so I'm getting I'm trying to be as gentle as I can with everybody, even though on the inside I'm just not raging constantly about everything. So yeah, be watch your beanie babies around me. I'm wanna rip the tags off. David. You know what make me feel better? A talk back?
Speaker 3: Can you hook this woman up?
Speaker 2: Oh God, I love get.
Speaker 5: Hello from Utah's Aaron Elizabeth, producer, Dave, all the interns. I wanted to say, thank you guys so much for giving us such an amazing show. I have undergone a lot of surgeries the last few years. You guys have been there with me every step of the way to help make recovery a little bit easier and full of laughs with all of your crazy antics and ridiculous crimes. And I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We love you, we got you back. First of all, you're the kindest person because you gave a shout out to the interns. Yes and big d. And also we know what it's like to live in bodies that are not cooperative. So fully, I'm there with you. I love it. I'm glad we could help totally.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad we give you there. Yeah, I've done on my back on the hospital bed. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's I like that. That makes me happy. Now now the summer of Dark Elizabeth is bright and half a little feel really good. This is as a reciprocation machine over here. It is. That's it for today. You can find us online at ridiculous Crime dot com. It's ad Age declared it the website of the century. Did you see that?
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 2: I got the telegram and then Entertainment Weekly named it the number three of the top five hundred websites. Wow of the year twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: I'm still surprised by that I know so good.
Speaker 2: So anyway, ridiculous Crime dot com. We're at Ridiculous Crime on Twitter and Instagram. You can email Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Please download the iheartapp and leave us a talk back because I love them reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnette, produced and edited by Pokemon Wrangler to the stars Dave Coustin starring Annals Rutger as Judith. Research is by Bulbosor Trainer Marisa Brown and Sharmander Breeder Andrea Song Sharpened Hear. The Themes as Long is by Thomas Blastoy's is My Spirit Animal Lee and Travis Have you seen my light Up? Pikachew Hot Dutton post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben Wigglypuff Bowlin and Noel Jigglypuff Brown. Hey well, do it's ridiculous Pokemon you dig.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My Heart Radio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.