Speaker 1: Welcome to Insider's Guide to the Other Side, a production of iHeartRadio. Hi, y'all, I'm Julie.
Speaker 2: Hi there, I'm Brenda. Welcome to Insider's Guide to the Other Side.
Speaker 1: Now, y'all need to know that we are obsessed with everything on the other side.
Speaker 2: Yes we are, because once you learn to navigate the energetic, or to some the invisible world, life is going to be more fun and much more serene.
Speaker 1: Uh heck, yes it can. Because let's be honest, br in, earth school is hard. In fact, you taught me.
Speaker 2: That let's crush Earth school together.
Speaker 1: Well, hello, my Gigley WITCHI pooh.
Speaker 2: I'm not as good as you because you've been around a fancy place.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have.
Speaker 2: I have tell us about your trump.
Speaker 1: I have Well we're calling this you can because can is failed like can France, fancy place, fancy places, and so just like how you have stories when you go to Eslin, I apparently had stories when I go to advertising festivals. So I just know I want to give a little history about tell us about can, tell us your origins. Well you know I love to do that, So thank you very much for offering me that. Making an opening so everybody. I'm sure a lot of people have heard of the Can Film Festival, right, but yeah, so, and I think that was about a month ago that they had that and Can and then they have the Can they called the Gold Lions, So it's like the Can Advertising Festival. So here's what's funny. I have made it almost fifty five years not having to go to that fucking thing. And because back in the day when I was running HP's advertising globally for the agency, my team won multiple awards. We had got an honorable mention for an award, and so I would get a call from a woman named Ann Wilson. I can't believe I remember her name, and not the one that played the guitar for Heart, but Ann Wilson, who worked at Zenith. Anne would call me and say, in her accent, and Julie, we won and I'm like that's great, and she's like, will you go? And I said fuck no, and she's like why, and I like, because all I have done is travel internationally for fifteen years or whatever long it had been. And by the way, it's hot and humid and that is like a hellscape for me. So you go on stage, get the award, all the ticker tape parade, wherever the fuck it is. You go, rock on, sister Boo.
Speaker 2: And leave me alone, me alone.
Speaker 1: I am not gonna I listen. I do not do well in humid environments. I don't. I never have. I've always run hot, and then postman apostle, I'm even hotter. And so I tried to avoid areas like Miami.
Speaker 2: Florida, except you bought a condo there, not.
Speaker 1: Miami, yes, Miami's No, it was further north. But I tried to avoid humid humidity. Apparently I can't come to Cincinnati this summer because it sounds like it's humid. I can handle going to to h New Orleans, but only in early winter. I don't do well. I mean, you know how when people get really hungry and they say they act angry, you know, because okay, that's how I am when I get humid. I don't know the word for that yet, so humid and angry, so hugree, it's I'm miserable. So anyway, I've avoided it. In this case, I did not. So I had to go this year, and not only that that, I need to go into the land of hell. I had a great place. By the way, it's beautiful. I'm sure it's wonderful different times of the year. No, it's stunning. The south of France, the French Riviera is unbelievably fly into nice, it's all stunning. The food is phens. It's a great place, except not in the summer. But because I live in like a Rando state now, and I say Rando state because there's not very many people and we don't have a lot of direct flights to places. You know, when I was in La I could go anywhere pretty much direct. I mean like it's like I'd walk on the plane and if I was you know, would go to Europe, I'd go to Asia wherever. Even in San Francisco got to do that. The luxury of not having to have layovers all the time, kind of like you going probably to Esslon, right, lots of get interressed there. So in my case, I had to go from Albuquerque to Salt Lake City to Amsterdam and then Toni's.
Speaker 2: Oh, mercy, that's a long. That's a long, and.
Speaker 1: I had to come home the same damn way. So anyway, it was utterly exhausting, but some super duper magical things happen there that I am dying to tell you. Guys, So are you going to tell us we probably need a brace? This is kind of a brief intro for us. We're going to tell us me a little brief break before we go into it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear your fancy keenestones.
Speaker 1: Fancy can.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, freak, We'll be right back. Hi, welcome back, Thanks, and settle in for fancy French storytelling. What kind of magic did you cook up?
Speaker 1: Off off? Okay, so I probably should have been focusing on some other things, but I'm going to tell you what I was obsessed about while I was there. This leads into the story. I probably should have been worrying more about the meetings and all the stuff I was having to do, but I was too worried about finding a metaphysical story because I wanted to buy a I wanted to buy a French to roe deck. Oh it somehow became my mission. I mean I started, I was looking up all these One place I found it was twenty minutes away, but then I had to find it like a to drive. There wasn't a walk, it was like a toy minute drive. Found another one shit's closed by the way on Sundays and Mondays, you know, like they mean it when they say I'm not working. So then I was trying to look at my schedule to fit in. When can I go? Okay, so it was I think it was, Oh, it was Wednesday. It was Tuesday because the place I went to was not far from the where a company had their like kind of headquarters, and this place that opened it two thirty. So I'm like, oh, I'm gonna figure this shit out. No, I'm sorry, it was Wednesday. I missed it two Thurdays and Wednesday, I'm like, damn it, I'm gonna go. It opened it ten thirty. Sorry, yeah, scratch that. So because I did go the day before and I forgot they were they were closed. So I go there and the woman who was working there didn't speak a look of English and I did not speak a lick of French. But didn't matter because they had all the cards but in this like bookshelf behind the register, and I tried to convince her could I walk back there? She said no, And so you're shaking your head like I could walk back any place else, but there you can. You may point, I know my charm did not work. I don't have great eyesight, and I wanted to look at him. So I found this like really lovely set of trop cards, so I like, oh, I want that, which kept pull them down. It was just take a long time pulling them down. And of course when she's dialing around, I'm like looking at the crystals blah blah blah blah blah. Which ps, I have way better ones. But I was looking at the crystals and all this shit, and then she pulls this big it's a big box, and I'm like, oh man, I'm gonna have to check my bag because I'm going to have to like expand the zipper, you know, like I did with Reuben and Jimmy and Shu's and I went on a cruise. I'd expand my zipper because I gained five pounds the first two days. So true story. I had to go on a diet vacation because my pants didn't fit. It was all the gelato. So so as she's like pulling things down, I had had my eyes on this small deck and I could tell it said oracle on it, and I'm like, you know what, I've never really worked a lot with Oracle cards. I didn't think I own a deck of Oracle cards, to be perfectly honest, I'm like, I'm want to buy this deck of cards. It has this hot pink like cardboard case to it. I'm like hot pink oracle screaming, Okay, fuck it, let's do it. So I make my purchase. I go back to our little area. We had this kind of area of one of the hotels that the hotel is called the Gray. It was a place where we could stop get a snack, drinks, whatever we want to get. So I'm sitting there at this booth by myself and I'm opening the cards because I wanted to feel them, Like I was really excited about this Oracle deck. So obviously my stories are really long. So I get all excited and I'm taking the plastic off and I'm doing and I'm like doing like poker shuffling. I'm like, what happened to me? How did I learn how to shuffle like this? And I just want to get a feel for him. I had no idea what any of this ship meant. There were pictures and then there was a French word on him, and I'm just like, oh, this is great. So this very very handsome man sat down at my table work for the company, and he's like, and his name is Mack from the UK Mock. And so Mak said to me, He's like, do you mind if I sit here? And I'm like, sure, go ahead, and I'm like playing with the deck and he goes, you know, I've I've never had a reading before. And I looked at him. I go, okay, here's what happened. I think he thought I was hired entertainment. I pull on one hundred percent. Think he thought I was hired entertainment.
Speaker 2: And you're like, damn it. I should have brought it to rod deck.
Speaker 1: I should have brought a tip jar. So so I'm sitting there and I'm like shuffling the cars or whatever. And I said, listen, I go, I just bought these. And I was really excited about him. I go, you can just sit there for you. Nothing's required here, It's all okay. Well, he keeps talking to him and I'm shuffling. I'm playing, and I said, darling, do you want to pick a card?
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to pick up?
Speaker 1: And I said, you want to pick a card? And he's like, well, I'm nervous. I said, then don't pick a card. He looked at my I said, then pick a card. I mean it was like that little stupid thing you must pay the rent. I can't pay the rent. I mean this whole thing way back. And I said him, I said, pick a card. I work for the company. Nobody's going to know but everybody that listens on my podcast, so it's gonna be fine. And so he's he's giggling at me. So I like, I lay him out. I go, I mean I did everything, like I shuffled the shit out of this deck. You'd have been very proud. And so I lay him out. I said, pick a card, any card. He picks the card and he flips it over. I'm like, great, take the rest of the cards, gently stack them, put them to the side. Because we were not picking more than one. It was one card, one and done. Baby, this is what I'm doing. And I said, I go listen. I've never I just touched this deck of cards. I have no idea what's going to happen. Let's see. So because I don't speak French, I'm tapping on the card because I don't know what the buck it is.
Speaker 2: It's because we all know tapping on the card is how you get more information.
Speaker 1: Here's what happened. I said, you have a set of twins. They're boys. Yes, I do. Okay, they're around three years old, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I'm tapping, tapping, tapping away, and he's looking at me like what the fuck is going to happen next? And I'm and I'm looking back and I'm like, I don't know, so tapping away, and I said, okay, one of your boys, I go, I don't. I can't get their names names, it doesn't matter right now. But one of them is very like prone to more than engineering things like I think you guys have a train set. He plays with it the most. And he said, oh, yeah, that's so. And so I'm like, okay, we're not here to talk about him. We're going to talk about the other one. And he's like okay.
Speaker 2: And I said, he's a special kid, isn't he?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 1: I said, so, did he fall? I said, in the last week, did he fall down on his face, break it tooth, cut his lip? Because I see a bloody face? He said yes, last week. I said, that's him. I said, okay, And I said this one very sensitive. And I said, but he's really really sensitive to her. He doesn't even know how to express it. That's why he's falling down. And I said, he's like you before you got married. And he goes, yes, exactly like me. And I said, this is your job with him. Your job is to actually talk to him about his emotions so he learns how to process them. You start talking to him when he's between seven eight nine years old about those feelings and those emotions, because he will sail through life if he knows how to deal with that. If he does not, he will continue to stumble and fall. This guy, Malk had tears running down his face. He goes, he goes, what the fuck am I doing? It? Can crying? I said, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: That isn't drop the mic, that's.
Speaker 1: Your ass. Set down. I looked at him. I said, you sat down at my table thinking that I was the hired entertaining hired help. Then you're telling me you've nervous. You picked the card. Okay, now let me tell you about the card. Are you ready for the card? So the card had the picture of a child and on the card there were there all the cards were numbered. I didn't notice this until afterwards. He took a picture of it. Because I looked at it, I went, oh, you want want to take a picture of this card? On the card, it's number thirty three twin three twins and they're each three years old. I did not see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's so perfect, isn't.
Speaker 1: That incredibly like that to me? Is like what? And he paid it's his card, not me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, And then you didn't even know the card I.
Speaker 1: Do what was happening. I think maybe the word was babe or some shit like that. I don't know. And so I had to, like, you know, get my shit together. I had to go to a meeting and I'm getting wake up. And he looked at me and goes, can I give you a hug? I? Oh, can you give me a hug? Yes you can, And so I got out and he hugged. He goes, I just I don't know what to say, and I go, you don't have to say anything. I'm like, this is clearly what you needed to hear today, and so just remember this and remember him with this and what your job as his dad is. That's all you got to do. So beautiful, So that happened in the middle of a work day.
Speaker 2: What a great work day, doing great work in the world.
Speaker 1: Man, How fun is that?
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for your service.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because he kept asking me, Okay, so here's a couple of side notes. So he kept I mean, I'm tapping like, I'm tapping like I'm doing more's fucking code, Like I am tapping like tapping away and he goes. He goes, Can I stop you and ask what you know? I said no. A few minutes later, I said, listen, I go, have you ever heard of the term tapping in? He goes no. I said, have you heard the term tapping out? Like and you know wrestling? He's like, yes, I said, tapping in. I mean I'm connecting with the with what it is that you need to know? He goes, Oh, is the card telling you this? I said, if you want to believe the card is telling you that, you can't. But that's not really, that's not what's happening here. He goes, So, what's happening here? I said, guides galore like they're just all huddling up. Want to make sure that I get the message right. To tell you about your boy.
Speaker 2: So perfect translation.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's perfect translation. Love needs no translation. It's the same in everything.
Speaker 1: It's like, this is what And I think that kid is if dad does his gig right, Yeah, that kid is going to is creative because that's.
Speaker 2: The other Kidney's. I think the kid needs a few some boundaries, but here nor there, because I think he's he's Yeah, I think he's got some attachments. Well not necessarily harmful, but.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I have his and he sent me. He sent me a love letter that was a thank you. So I can get back to him and I can let him know. Okay, yeah, to some boundaries, clearing some I will let him know. Oh, I can say he'd go out and fetch them selenite. Yeah, black TERMINEE get to go ship that I have to send thee give and I have hoarded all the best tourmaline in the world that's sitting in my garage that I think is my job that I need to send it.
Speaker 2: So respect that my great job. Great story.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have another one, but why do I take a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: What the what the fuck are you doing? You're counting up. You're not counting down. Everybody, Joey, keep this ship in. I want ever to know that my witch is supposed to count down. And she started going three, four, five. It's like, what are you doing? That was amazing. We're back, everybody.
Speaker 2: You are not honoring. I'm dyslexic and I have my own.
Speaker 1: You do not go up in numbers. You mixed them. No, but you kept going up.
Speaker 2: I know, but I thought it was Oh my god, hype, welcome, welcome back. Tell us another fancy.
Speaker 1: Fancy bronze story. First of all, I just have to share with everybody that we were giggling our asses off in the last break because because I was, because I said, I said something like I go listen. I did invite this guy over. I didn't say, hey, let me read for you. And you're like no, when you start shuffling cards, they all show up. I said yeah, and I said and I was super jet lag and she goes it probably helped, I said, yeah, because nothing was going on upstairs, like it was vacant, no activity. It was a warehouse but nothing in it.
Speaker 2: But you served him greatly.
Speaker 3: He served him great because literally nothing going on upstairs. Y'all's nothing. Okay, it all worked out perfectly. So the other fun magical thing that happened is one of the people in this world I love so dearly was there. There's actually several which was made the trip really great, and one of them is my friend Becca. And those of you that have read the book, she's mentioned in the book. She is actually the one that the first picture of the gray alien I sent to her. I'm like, girl, get I think, I texted. I'm like, girl, gilo, this is what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And she goes that scares me. Delete it now, blah blah.
Speaker 2: Blah, blah blah blah, not having it.
Speaker 1: You want nothing to do with that alien action, not having it. So she was there, and and I've been through a lot of stuff with she and her family. I mean, she's had some family members jump all kind of in a cluster of a time frame. And her grandmother, who you know practically well, actually did raise her and love, I mean love, like deep deep love, had recently gone. And her grandma's actually spoken to me for her before. But she's always looking for signs from her grandmother, and so she was telling me. We had dinner I think three nights, two nights when were there? Two three nights when we were there. And she's like, and by the way they dine in France is late they do in Spain. I'm like, for the love of God, y'all, like I remember going to Spain and like dinner would start at eleven. I'm like, what are you doing? I should be asleep for two hours by the time this shit starts. So anyway, so we're having dinner, and so she's telling me, she goes listen, she goes, I s, you're still laughing at my dining thing, aren't you? Yeah? But it's I did not know. I've been. I've been to Paris for work a ton. Never do I recall the late dinners like we had in can It reminded me of Spain. So we so we're dinner and we're just talking away and she's asked me about Grandma and I met Grandma's cake in the pants, and she's like, she goes listen, and Beca is very matter of the fact.
Speaker 2: She has listened.
Speaker 1: She has I'm seeing these fucking numbers. I go, what kind of numbers? She has? One? One one, one, two two two, Like all of the magic numbers constantly. She's like, I'm seeing them all the time. And I said, okay, and then of course she goes, one time I saw sixty nine. I said, were we not get into that? That is, like you, it is none of my friend class yet none of my business not doing that one. And so so we're talking about it. She goes, well, what you know? She again she wants to know exactly what each one means, and I'm like, well, you can google that shit yourself. I said, but but why don't you like do a journal and write them down, like when you get them, the days, the frequency, and let's just see if there's some sort of pattern that kind of emerges from this. Well, instead of a journal, the bitch starts texting them to me, So my text is like blowing up constantly, and all I get is a number. So I get a number on my text and it has a time stamp, so I know the day, the time, and what the number was, all this kind of stuff. And so when I got home from can I was like jet lag, like I had not been jet lag before. So again brain is empty, like going on upstairs, like Suzanne was actually like hey baby, she was asking me questions and I'm like, no talking, like I don't know talking, I cannot talk. It's all like everything's empty right now. You just let me like regiterate here. And so I got a couple more texts with these fucking numbers on it, and I was like, oh, this is what it is. So I sent her text because again I didn't want to talk to anybody, and I said a text. I said, girl, you know what, when my whole spiritual journey was really kicking off, I said, I got all the numbers. I got the numbers just like you are. I saw them everywhere. I saw them on clocks, I saw them on license plates, I saw them when I was driving around to La on billboards, and that in on billboards, by the way, they have a number assigned to the billboard. I was like, it was it was insane. I said, I think this is just the beginning of your journey, so I wouldn't get so wrapped up in the definition of everything. But I think the key is just to start paying attention to all the other signs that are yet to come or have come, and they're going to keep coming. So just open to what happens next. You don't have to worry about every time you see a number, there's something your grandmother or something's supposed to happen or tell you. I go, I think there's more. This is like, this is like the training wheels on your bicycle, your training wheels. Just look and see because eventually you're going to kick those things off and you're going to be talking to Grimma on yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just such a sweet confirmation. Hey, you're on the right track.
Speaker 1: You're on the right track.
Speaker 2: Let us show you some magic numbers so that you know you're on the right track. These are little candy drops showing you the path forward. Just keep coming, just just keep coming.
Speaker 1: It's like the full car. It's like you're on a journey. You're you're on a path you've never been on.
Speaker 2: Before, exactly. So we're sending you signals and you're the little GUARDRAI let's keep going exactly.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that was like, it's just so nice that I've been so fortunate to work in an industry that I mean, I'm still weird, let's be honest, but it's like super embrasively here. You know. It's funny. My old old boss used to head the agent's hip globally. He's like, he British, Julie, You're like, let me say, you're like a sack of ferre You are so incredibly bright, but you are as crazy as a sack of ferrets or bag of ferrets or some shit like that. And he looked at me and he goes, I hope you're not a fitted. I said, I now feel like it's the greatest compliment I've ever received it. What are you kidding? Only a sack of ferrets would think of? Sack of ferrets is a compliment?
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough, nice.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. I'm writing that down right now. Farrot enough. Oh my god, I'm gonna make t shirt, y'all. I'm gonna start another business anyway. So that was cann So it's about being open. It's like you know, yes, yes you can, Yes you can too. You don't have to be with the fall falls in the South of France sweating your ass off.
Speaker 2: Nope, you can just follow the gum drops, the little magic.
Speaker 1: Or buy yourself a little oracle deck hot paint, shuffle that ship around. You never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's like a beacon they'll come running and.
Speaker 1: You know, after that, all the people are like will you read you? And I'm like, bitches, I'm out, like what and done from the UK? Got the best of me and I gotta like work.
Speaker 2: That is awesome, that is awesome. I love love, love your stories. I love your work, trip love your stories. Beautiful well play. It's fun, yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Think, like you, it is, but I think like it's also and I think I caught it from you, Like it's a disease, but it's a good disease. It's just the disease of doing service for people. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a contagious disease. You know what.
Speaker 1: I still have a little jet leg I know, I really do, but I think it is it is. It's contagion. It's like you do so much in your life that serves others, and it is it is contagious, and it literally I get Do I get joy? I get joy for other people? Do I get joy that I'm right?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 1: I actually don't like it's good to have confirmation just because I don't want to misguide, mislead, miss guide. But it's such an interesting space. It is a space to like egos so removed. You know, it's not like I'm going out to get my jolly's. These are not my jollies. You know, I can love a stranger. Listen in the world today, when we can hate strangers, I'm perfectly happy to love a stranger. So I have this stranger Mak that I really wanted to like, I wanted to serve him properly.
Speaker 2: Right, no longer is stranger.
Speaker 1: It was not a stranger anymore. We may be BFFs now. I'm not sure we'll find out. I'll give you I'll give you all updates. But it is to you know, and for Becca to do like she's struggling, she's trying to figure that. It's like, this is just what we do. And so I just think that I thank you for that because I would have never I think fully understood. I'm like, looking at your eyes through the camera, even a mind a little squinty, I thank you for that because I don't I've never been taught that by anyone else. And I think that this is so important that everybody. I hope that someone has taught you this, or maybe we are the ones to teach you. Disembodied versions of us can teach you and for you to take it on and to do the same, because if we don't pass it on, things die, you know. So if we don't pass on this stuff, especially in really hard times, you know, if we don't do that, it stops. So, you know, having that sense of service, you know, like snag that contagion slash not disease.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Thank you mine, Thank you for your service, Thank you for your love.
Speaker 1: It is my pleasure.
Speaker 2: And thank you for your beautiful stories. So much fun this week. Thank you, thank you my pleasure. Thanks for listening, everybody, and remember our school is.
Speaker 1: Hard without a pink deck of Oracle cards from France and the Other Side.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody, Bye bye, y'all. Thank you for joining us. Everyone, and a special thanks to our producer Joey pat and our executive producer Maya Cole Howard, who guides us well. We guide you.
Speaker 1: Hit us up on Instagram at other Side Guides, or shoot us a note at high Hi at Vibes dot store.
Speaker 2: We want to know what you think, We want to know what you know, and we want to hear your stories.
Speaker 1: And remember, our school is hard without the Other Side. Insider's Guide to the Other Side is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.