Speaker 1: Look out. It's only films to be buried with the reincarnation. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with the reincarnation. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, writer, a director, a bed post and I love film. As Robin S. Sharma once said, don't live the same year seventy five times and call it a life. I will make an exception for watching Maupet Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve for seventy five years. Then you're absolutely smashing it for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Every week I'm invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Ped Plambles, Jed Lambles, and even Mary mccampbell's. But this week is different. It's episode three hundred. We did It, Joe, So to celebrate this milestone in all of our lives, as is now tradition, every one hundred episodes, I am returning to my very first guest, the Genie himself. The Ghostbuster is mister James Acaster. He's been resurrected, He's been through his judgment day, and now for his fourth appearance, he will experience for the very first time, the Reincarnation. Check out the Patreon over at patreon dot com, forward slashback, Goldsting, where you get extra twenty minutes with James. He tells the secret, we talk about music, we talk about his sitcom spring Leaf, and many more things. You get all of that, plus the episode uncut Adfrey, and there's a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com, Forward slashbreack, Goldsteam. James Acaster is a genie, a podcaster, a rapper, a musician, a stand up an actor, a ghostbuster, and an author. I was delighted to have him back for the three hundredth episode. We recorded this last week Agazoom. He was as brilliant as ever. You're going to love it. That is it for now. Thank you for listening this far. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred. Can you believe it? Of Films to be Buried with the Reincarnation? Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried with the Reincarnation. It is I Brett Goldstein and I am joined today for the fourth time for a very special episode three hundred. He's a writer. He's a comedian. He loves hecklers. He's a stand up. He's a genie. He's a movie star. He's a ghostbuster. He's a tora. He's a lover. He's a guy. He's a genie in a bottle and sometimes he's out. He likes food. God, he really likes food, and boy does he want you to know about it. He's here, he's alive. I'm delighted to see him. You are too, He's back for good. Please welcome. Everyone's hero. It's mister j Vecas. There how many?
Speaker 2: This is our fourth one? Yeah? What were the other ones called? If we're not done the incarnation yet, this is the first reincarnation.
Speaker 1: Basically, it goes films to be buried with, then it's films to be beared with the Resurrection, Then it's films to be buried with Judgment Day, and now it's films to be buried with the Reincarnation.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for doing this, James. It's is tradition in our show that every hundred episodes you come back. It's so nice to see you. I haven't seen you in ages. Can we talk about the big news that has happened since we last saw you.
Speaker 2: Well, first, let's talk about oh, come on, how every episode has been slightly different. So episode one, Yeah, me and you in your kitchen, face to face. The second one we did episode one hundred. It's over Zoom, but very much the same vibes. Yeah, you and your house. Yeah we're having a laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Episode two hundred, we're still over Zoom, but you're in a hotel. All the curtains of drawn so people can't see you and your midway filming. Yeah, your hit TV show. We're all very proud of you. But every time I go off on a rant about a film that I don't like, you look at me and don't say the thing because you don't want to burn your bridges because things have changed. This episode one hundred, here we are. Episode three hundred. Your assistant contacted me to do this, and your background's blurred on zoom.
Speaker 1: We've come a long way. We've come a long way. Well on your side of this.
Speaker 2: Episode four hundred, your face is going to be blurred out, your voice of being pitched.
Speaker 1: Now and I'll be like, hello, I am speaking to you from an undisclosed location. I'm fine.
Speaker 2: What films do you like?
Speaker 1: Well, you can say all this, but you know, last time we did this, you were just a humble podcaster with the number one podcast in England who was touring and playing the Royal alb But just a humble comedian podcaster who plays the Royal Albert whole sell out the Royal album. Just a humble small podcaster, comedian doing his little tour around the world. And then between episodes you become a movie star in a huge hit Hollywood film. I don't know if you've ever heard of it, The Ghostbusters. I have, And there was James A. Custer in Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. And let me tell you something, I've never been more proud in my life. You're a fucking movie star. You're so good in it. And what I really loved is the second you appear. The first thing you say made me laugh out loud. You're funny. You turn up, You're fucking funny. You turn up and you go like, yeah, I'm a movie star and I'm really funny. And then I goes, oh wow. And I had someone say to me, who's the guy, the kind of the breakout star. They're sort of the favorite in the film, And I'm like, you the Genie. They're like, yeah, the GENI. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're brilliant. Thank you for watching it. But I'm so so glad you watched it. Well, the thing that I hadn't that hadn't occurred to me. I knew you'd be brilliant and everything, but it hadn't occurred to me that you also have a movie star head. Interesting, you've got a movie star head.
Speaker 2: What are you talking? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, you've got a very you're very good looking, but you also have and I'm in this lovely I think you've got big heads. And that's brilliant for movies. Movie stars have big heads, and it's like, oh, yeah, you've got a movie start head. You're a beautiful man with a with a big head. That's what movie stars are.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know I had a big head until now, or definitely when they put my hair up like that, I've got all the My hair is all up in the air as well, So that adds a few That's maybe why they wanted me to do that.
Speaker 1: You have to have a big head so that you know, because you're on a big screen, so you've got to have things to look at you know, it's got to be spread out as essential. Yeah, and so you've got a beautiful movie star head. And I was like, yeah, of course, how did we not know this all along? He's been fucking wasted on stage.
Speaker 2: If anyone else watched it and thought that, I think everyone's got a big head. Of course, of course.
Speaker 1: Of course you've got a movie start head. This is a comment. I know you're taking it like, is it no? No, I take it as a compliment what I'm enjoying. And I've missed it because we know we don't get to talk all the time. You're you're on tour at the minute.
Speaker 2: Very proud of you for that thing, just to be proud of each other for the whole the whole podcast. But like, I like how you always every time I talk to you, you say something that I've never come across before, Like it's common knowledge, like movie stars have to have big heads. I've never heard that from anyone ever. But it's like, nam movies a small head. Hey, it's a good point. Hey, I'm not saying I'm not saying you're wrong.
Speaker 1: Here, think I mean, just think it through it there any your favorite movie stars anytime I guess.
Speaker 2: There's loads of people who I think don't have big heads, but the movie stars, but ones that have specifically small heads. Bob Balaban his big head, Yeah, small the small man.
Speaker 1: That's a great shot. He's a smaller man. But the other thing movie stars at the thing that's different. Way you'll have a sort of huge career as well. Is that your tool which is unusual for me movie really sure with big heads, your tool with big edg your head is actually portional, which is why it's like, wow, people are in Hollywood. They're like, this is a money making machine. This cast is what we want. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyway, I was very very proud of you, and I did wonder what it was like because also you have you have quite difficult stuff in that film, because you've got you get all the funny stuff, but actually you you're the exposition character as well. You're the one who says all the complicated science stuff. You have to do quite a lot of heavy lifting of science talk, and there's scenes where you're doing science talk to the entire cast of the film, which is a massive curst. And I was thinking, God, that must have been an intimidating day where you're you're doing these big, long monologues in front of everyone. Yes, how was all that?
Speaker 2: Well that that scene you'r took about was my audition scene as well, so like I kind of knew it really well already, so that helped. But like I remember when I auditioned, maybe you know, I did a self tape and then I did an impersonal audition, and you know, at the time, they were like, oh, we also might do some improv so I just want to do a quick improve seen with you. I was like, okay, cool, and they're like, so I was going to keep it in the lab, yeah, where we've just done that scripted scene and you got all the equipment around, so let's just improvise here. Would go, hey, Las, what do you got here? And I was like, I'm sorry, what have I got to improvised? What's in my lab? Like I've got improvised science to you like improvise made up science as well? It's not even like yeah. They were like yeah, yeah, yeah, You've got your ghost equipment and we're just gonna So that was the most that was more intimidated than anything I think we actually ended up filming. But like I liked the scenes when we were all there, it was exciting. It was all exciting, man, I mean like, yeah, did you love it? I loved it. There was one there was one little bit where I had a wobble and my confidence, like for half a day, really went. So I was like, what am I going to do? Because I was like, I'm not feeling like I want to go in tomorrow. I'm feeling like I really showed myself up today and really messed that scene up. So I sent a message to a friend of mine who's filmed a lot himself, called Brett Goldstein, and I messaged him and said, is it normal to feel like you're an impostor and you can't do any of this stuff?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: It's a normal to feel like you're the worst person on set? And he could have texted me back, but instead he find me and he reassured me and said, look, this is this is every single actor, every single time. He told me a nice story about a really big famous actor and I can't remember who it was now who says you always feel like you can't do it and and all that, and it made me feel much better and I was able to go in, and I thought, what a nice boy. And that was genuinely the only time that I had a wobble during it all, and you got me back on track. I know you've forgotten about that. So as I started telling it, I saw your face go, oh, who's this nice? Oh? No, oh no, I've cheeed myself up for a compliment. You were like, this is my worst nightmare. Hard to get complimented for being a good man.
Speaker 1: It's nice of you to tell this. Like what I happened is I called you and went, what are you fucking talking about? No, I've never heard that too. That's Matt. You must have been terrible. That's all. You should quit that film, shouldquit the film. You're going to get fired. No, it's funny. Everyone feels that. I feel that. I know, yeah, I know lots of lots of very very famous, brilliant people who feel that. And I told you the thing that I always think is really brilliant. And I don't know if anyone has this luxury these days because of the madness of budgets and stuff. But you know the thing about Donald Sutherland that he has it, I believe, or he at least used to have it in his contract that when he makes a film that you start with the middle scenes because he's like, it will take me a while to find the character and get it right, but by the time we film the beginning of the film, I'll have it. So if there's any mistakes, if I'm not good, I'm not good in the middle. And by that time of you watching it as an audience, you're into it. You don't care, and you stop, you don't notice if there's one scene he's not good in you've watched an hour and you're fully invested. That's good. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think our first few days was like it's a scene that took three days, but for the first two I didn't have any lines, so I was able to just walk around just in the scene and just get told in you know, non consequential, what is stop doing that?
Speaker 1: Do it?
Speaker 2: Do it differently.
Speaker 1: You're very good at You're very still, and you're very you really are like movie start. You're not like shuffling around and you have to do and the bit I was really impressed with where I was like, wow, that's real. Is the bit where your hands freezes and you get you have to like you have to do proper stuff. There's a lot of stuff that my favorite day that was that was a few days. I thought you were really good. You did it was just really good. I was very very proud of you, and I loved seeing it. And you're a fucking big part in it. You're fucking gas.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of exposition. Baby. When I was reading that script for the first time, I was like, Yes, keep on giving me that exposition. That's all I want. You can't cut around that. Film doesn't make sense if you lose it.
Speaker 1: You can't cut around it. It was excellent. I was very impressed. Also, you have been on your Heckler's Welcome Tour. I think when we did a comment relief special, we did talk about you about to start that. How have you foundled that? And I know loads of people have seen it absolutely loved it. How much heckling has there been? And has that part of it been fun or regrettable or you know what I mean? Like, because most people who I know who've seen it said there wasn't really much heckling, but then there was the Usually the heckling was quite boring and it was like what's your favorite dish or something? So I wondered in general what it was those American gigs. Yeah, I think so, because.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, and in America, the heckles are referencing other stuff I've done, you know, TV shows I've done or whatever. But they've always been like that. Basically, there's been no increase or decrease in heckles or the types of heckles I get. I've got exactly the same amount of heckles, exactly the same amount of gigs that acquire. But what I'm trying to change is my response to those gigs because I never really was one of those comics who kind of goes well. I would immediately after a gig, I'd blame the audience. I'd come off stage and be like, why can't I just get rid of these idiots? And then you know, ten to fifteen minutes later, I'd be like, I've got to stop throwing these gigs in the bin, man, Because that was the main thing was I was like, this isn't going to change. They're not going to change as an audience. They never you know, you watch comedians have been going for decades and they've got heckler's or they've still got quiet gigs, you know, relatively to them. So like I've just got to sort out my response. So that was the whole idea behind let the audience do what they want, tell them they're allowed to hecki blah blah blah. Was just so I removed the option of bollocking them and their shit.
Speaker 1: And how did it work out? Did it work as an experiment for your mind and stuff? It absolutely worked as an experiment for my mind. I've got as of now when we're talking, I've got thirteen left, so I don't want to draw a complete conclusion just yet. But I made a lot of changes, not just you know the fact that I let them do what they want, but it also spaced the tour shows out a bit more. I did residencies instead of a different city every night, and I only went back to places that I'd enjoyed in the past and had a good time, and all the places where I've consistently struggled on tour. I was like, let's stop going back there, because you know, you know what's going to happen there great.
Speaker 2: And I didn't over preview it. I didn't do like a billion work in progress shows and then get it so it was finished and then take it on the road. When I'm already sick of it as well, which is what I've done a lot of in the past. So all of that helped. And yeah, I think I want to finish it before I say anything for definite. But it's definitely been a better tour for my head than any of the others have. There hasn't been a gig where I've throwed the whole gig in the bin and told him it's shit, And that's every other tour I've done. Definitely that has happened, especially on the last tour in twenty nineteen. There was probably most of them was me going, you know, thirty seconds zero, fuck this, but this I know how good the show could be, and the way you applauded me on to stage just not indicate this is going to be the best show ever. So why even bother see you later? I start slugging their city off to them?
Speaker 1: Have you like, have you had anywhere, because from what I understand, you have a full if no one haggles, you have a full, complete, yeah show. So have you had any shows where you've had so much interaction that you've had to abandon the thing and you never finished the story or the right.
Speaker 2: So I'm still yet to film it. When filming the show at the end of the tour, I'm actually filming it in two different locations, two different crowds, because like in completely different setups as well, because I think that this show, more than any other, is different. Every night I did an audio record in the other day for an audio release we're doing, and I did it two nights in a row in Keprin and my hometown, and on neither occasion did we finish the show. So that's going to be released, you know, officially, and there's going to be a vinyl release of it and everything. And it's not it's not we don't finish the materials. We don't really get halfway into the material both nights. So the first night was my fault. I was messing around too much, and then the second night they were hectic a lot to the point where I had to be like, I've got to admit that we're not getting to the edge of this. But that's what's you know, good about it as well, is that you know, definitely in the past, if they were hecting to the point where I couldn't finish the show, which happens every tour, at some point I would bother them all, go you don't deserve comedy, you deserve to laugh. You're a bunch of absolute assholes. What do I even bother coming here? And then everyone goes home feeling sad. On these ones, when that happens, I go along with it and try and find and ending and try and be a bit more positive. So even I'm not saying that I end every gig feeling fantastic, but the ones where I do feel disappointed with the show or that wasn't that good, that feeling is usually gone by the time I get back to the hotel room, rather than carrying on. And there's been some I did find my wall by breaking. I had to break some of my rules and had a month where I gigged a lot more than usual, and I went back to some places that I wasn't going to go back to, and I very quickly was back in the same place. Mentally, I wasn't taking it out on the crowd on stage. They had no idea, but like you know, I was like, oh no, this is now. I'm back in the hotel room. I still feel bad, and it's the next day and I still feel like I don't want to do the gig tonight, I like, but that was good as well. It was good to I think if I hadn't found the line on this tour, it wouldn't have been as useful, and it was good to find the line and go, okay, these are definitely no notes.
Speaker 1: This is great, this is good.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: How about how was the Giant off menu tour? You did that in a row, right, you did them like in a row kind of Yeah? Yeah, yeah, that was great. I mean love the audiences. That never got boring.
Speaker 2: Well no, because you know, it's different every night, so that's great. That's what's good about that. And the first half is me and Ed going out and talking to the audience and doing their menus, so that's different and just improvising and messing about. And then second half is you get a different guest on and and do the podcast with them. So yeah, that was brilliant and just like very good, you know, I mean tiring. Yeah, and there was a lot of people working on that big crew. Normally it's me and my tour manager for my tour shows. This one, Ed and I we'd okayed a bunch of stuff and Benito, but not thought about it at all because he's so good at his job, so we we just go, yeah, yeah, we want a lamp on stage, a giant lamp, and yeah we want that back that that scenery looks great. I didn't even think about the people needed. And we turned upon day one, which is in Birmingham, and there was a big tour bus outside and we went is that for us? And Ben was like it was for your crew?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What?
Speaker 2: But you've got a full crew on there and they're gonna be traveling through the night from here back to London with that, and it's your whole set is is in that that lorry next to it, That's where your set is. And we didn't think about any of that. And then we're like, oh god, yeah, there's a whole bunch of people working on this who were amazing.
Speaker 1: Wow. I mean pretty fucking insane, isn't it right? It was insane, etc. You know.
Speaker 2: And also I mean Ben did the thing is with off menu? Now? Is that all? I don't really feel like it's my podcast. I feel like I'm a host on it. But whenever I kind of listened to some of it, all I think is what Ben and his team are doing a great joas they're doing a great They've made these live episodes sound so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've done great.
Speaker 2: So I think it's Ben's podcasters, Benito's podcast.
Speaker 3: We work for Ben James Acaster. I am dead impressed with you. I have decided to let you come back to life. You will be reincarnated. But how would you like to come back? Who will you be?
Speaker 1: A human? An animal? What will your new life entail? Tell us now? Please?
Speaker 2: Was this question in the email? Yeah? Okay, I don't remember. Well, yeah, okay, so if I'm coming back, I guess see, I'd like to say an animal, but really it probably is a human because I just like to have another go around and do a bunch of different stuff and live a different human life. Because I think about, how are there so many animals? What were the things you'd like? Well, you know, you think, just just like different choices. Long, so you know, as entertainers, I think there are times where we think ourselves we live in a bit of a selfish life. It's all geared towards our own egos. And then I'm like, man, if only I had another life, I could be selfless during that all further in the future when the world is more funcks so probably can do less. But you know, so, yeah, I probably come back and be a good person, you know, So come back and I come work. Yeah, well, you know, I used to work with autistic children in the school, and when I quit that to do stand up, I just feel a little bit like maybe I'm a bad person. And you know, I could probably go back to the school and go, look, I've been being kindated. I don't know if my CIB is still valid, but like I'd like to work here again and stick at it this time. And yeah, obviously, you know, full on, I'll probably yeah, just be a climate scientist. I'll come back and be a climate scientist.
Speaker 1: Okay, you do more more exposition. You've come back and do all the exposition and the news.
Speaker 2: I'd be the character from Ghosts. Yeah, I'll be him, even though I've watched that film quite a few times now because I've been with various friends and family. Yeah, and it's different screenings when it came out. And I would say that scientist isn't upon close to examination, is not very clever.
Speaker 1: Why he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: I think he should have once that brass or but frozen his hand. I think he should have put it back in that special room that he got it out of in Camail's house.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true, but he.
Speaker 2: That was irresponsible of him. But yes, yeah, oh no, why he did it? Yeah, I know that he's curious it is. But again we're back to ego. Now, maybe that's not the most abandoning of my ego if I become a scientist. They were bearing it for the glory as well. That Lars Pinfield, that's my character's name, he was he lets he go get the better of him and then goaka nearly froze everyone to death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's learned nothing coming back, nothing coming back? Well, welcome back. Now you're you are coming back to life. Before you you start your new life, you would like to know about the films you would like to know about in your new life. You get it anyway, What we want to know is what's your favorite remake.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can probably guess this, maybe you can't, but Departed great answer.
Speaker 1: Did not guess that at all.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a bit predictable because obviously, you know one best picture. It's a great film and you know, I'm a bloody bloke, so of course I love it, but love The Departed. And also, yeah, it's one of those films I get annoyed when people criticize it because I think it's just a really fun film. Yes, And like I think people get shitty about it because it won the Oscar and they're like, oh, but you know, it's not even his best film. It's like what you want about, like it's the Oscars. It's not an exact science. They eventually gave him Best Picture, which they should have DoD ages ago, and it was for a film that's really good.
Speaker 1: It was one of his fun ones. I like it when he makes a fun one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just think for me, it's the most rewatchable school says he film. I go back to it loads, like I'm always in the mood for it. I was having a chat with some frends the other day about films you're always in the mood for whenever. I might have even bought it up on your podcast in the past, because like, I love it that there was some films were like, yeah, anytime someone says to me, you want to watch Departed, the answer will always be.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, what when I love of his that he made for fun is Cape Fear. I love Cape Fear, and I think it's sort of bas it's absolutely bananas. But it's also been like the Simpsons did the thing, like it's kind of now like sort of been spoofed so much it's quite hard to remember it as it was. But it's fucking great. It's so wild, and I like how exciting it is in first and it's like what the whole time you're like fucking out, like he's really enjoying himself. Who is the one actor you would watch in anything other than James acast Who is my answer to this question?
Speaker 2: Of course it's your answer. Yes, there's a lot, There's a lot, a lot, a lot, so I had to really think about this, but I think the one who takes the crown is Amy Adams. I've never seen Amy Adams in something in for get her off the screen, no matter what the film is, even like films like that. I didn't even know she was in when I first watched it, because I know who Amy Adams was. And then you go back and watch Catch Me if you can, and then realize that Amy Adams is in it, and in that she's just magnetic and brilliant and you really like, you know, her character's not even in it for that long, but it's a fully fleshed out, three dimensional character you completely buy into. I think obviously it's got big character actors, isn't it that you can watch in whatever, because like, I don't want to watch somebody does the same thing all the time. So people like Amy Adams is just like changes it up every film. That's such a great great you always believe her in the role. It's always just like I don't even think there's Amy Adams pretending to be a princess or Amy Adams pretending to be you know, annoyed at him for boxing again, Like yeah, yeah, she's properly that's the person.
Speaker 1: She's really good at funny and really good at serious. She really can do. She's a very good comedian actor as well and very serious. God, that's a great shout for me.
Speaker 2: One of the worst things about being like, you know, because obviously, despite all of our Ghostbusters chat, I'm a stand up comedian and I'm like actor adjacent and sometimes interact with actors. And one of the worst things is that I'm still astounded by the very basics of acting. So when I meet an actor, it's very easy for me to say, which I did to one person once. Mate, you're really good. Like every film I see you and like, I really believe you're that person. It's crazy. It's like, do you know what I mean? When you're watching it and it doesn't even seem like someone acting, it just seems like they are that guy. That's you. That's really that seems really hard to me. And they're like, we are literally on the set of a film now chatting. You should not feel like this. I don't feel comfortable that we're about to do a scene together.
Speaker 1: Was it poor Rat?
Speaker 2: It wasn't on Ghostbusters film Cinderella. My other my feature debut.
Speaker 1: Was it Ramis.
Speaker 2: No, that wasn't James Corden either. It wasn't. It wasn't actually someone I'm in a scene with. It was somebody who was filming a scene in tandem to ours, and I got to chat to them quick.
Speaker 1: You say this about character actors, and you're absolutely right. That's a great shout. But movie star wise, I would pick Denzel Washington because I watched Denzel Washington and ending Densie Winston is my favorite movie star. Like, I'll even watch all the Equalizers. That's how I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't watch the Equalizer. You know, I love Denzil Obviously I'm not not an idiot, but like, if Equalizer had Amy Adams is the Equalizer, yeah, that would be great. Yeah, yeah, God, that'd be great. And then the twist in the final Equalizer would be that actually this is the first one and the others haven't happened yet, but she's going to decide to do them anyway. She could have decide to live her life.
Speaker 1: I love it. What is the film you changed your mind about significantly from the first time you saw it? E g. You saw it, you loved it, now you hate it, or you saw it you hated it, and then you saw it again you're like, oh my god, it's so wrong about this film is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, iron Man, Yes, go on, first time I saw iron Man, and this might be this is the case for this might be quite universal. Actually, but like where the world was with superhero films when iron Man came out was that they were they got bums on seats, but we all thought they were bad. Yeah, and we were all just turning up to a routine to get disappointed, and Iron Man was doubly Soci're like, why they really scraping the banel. Now they're doing Iron Man, they clearly haven't got any decent superheroes to draw from. Now this will be bad. And at the time, I was not aware, you know, of how much Jon Favreau was like an amazing director, and I didn't even know how much of a safe over hands Robert Downey Junior was. I was just like, I was just going to see a film a keptin cinema with my friends, another superhero film, and I watched it and I thought it was fine. At the time, I thought, yeah, I was all right, but I wasn't really into superhero stuff. I just go and see him because my mates wanted to. And then yeah, just forgot about it. And then all these superhero films came out. I wasn't really about any of them for ages, and then went to watch I mean it was probably Guardians of the Galaxy and was like, well that's one of my favorite films, yeah straight away, and then really got into the MCU and then went back and watched everything. And one of the people who really loved the Infinity Saga and Infinity warn Endgame was some of the best experiences I've ever had in the cinema. I loved it, and I'd never thought I would love it. So now I look back at Iron Man and I've rewatched it since, and you go, what and a cheap Like it's literally Marvel and everything and Superhero films were completely like they were, you know, on the edge of just like that's it, We're fight now, we're not doing it anymore. And that team who made that film completely changed how superhero films were made, set a whole new blueproot for stuff, and we're able to launch what was it, twenty three other films off the back of it there, and it was able to like set up things that got paid off in those final two films, which is incredible. So now I look at it and I'm like, well, you know, that's one of the most significant film in the history of modern cinema. It is. But at the time I was just like whatever, whatever, But like, yeah, now I'm like, what an important film. What a bunch of really clever people who made it, clever boys, And yeah, there were things that are in that film. Now obviously what happens in the in the final two films that I just go, oh, I know where that's going later on. That's very satisfying.
Speaker 1: It's very good, and it was funny. It was funny, and they figured out how to be funny as well in the other stuff. Great answer, James A. Custer, perfect answer, And without iron Man we would not have Yes, father, what is your favorite documentary film? And vil Ah, of course it's your life story.
Speaker 2: I really really relate to it. It's funny, obviously, but it's also quite poignant, especially if you tried for many years to be in a band, especially if it was you and your best mate and you didn't always get on. But also you really really believed in the muse, and you weren't very good at articulating to other people why they should also believe in it. And all you could come up with was it's such good music. It's really good, which is what the bit in Anvil when they go round all the different record labels and they're talking to the big execs, and the execs are like, why should we put this out? And all they can come up with is because it's great, because it's so good, because this is brilliant music, and people need to hear it, and they're like, everyone says that to us about their album. You need to tell us why this is different. And of course they can't because they're authentic. They are actually about the music that that's what they put their life into. They're not sitting around with their business heads on thinking what sells or how can we like pitch this and sell this to a record label. They're just thinking, we love music. This speaks to us. Surely, surely these record label execs are going to see that they care about music, right, So they're just they're going like this just kicks ass. This is great music. They're like, yeah, okay, buys, leave the CD on the coffee table, and that I really really related to those scenes. I was like, yeah, that's that's us. That was us saying to everyone for quite a few years. But this is just really great music.
Speaker 1: It's just good. It's funny. You have these conversations in creative stuff, particularly you must have had them with your with your By the way, with the other thing we haven't talked about springdef you're brilliant fucking sitcom podcast, which is brilliant. I'm so well plotted and like I'm like, you made a whole fucking TV show, but put it on a podcast all a way was so impressive. But I also like the reality of anything you do that isn't just you on your own, that there is this part where you have to communicate what you're trying to do to other people to get them on board, or to get them to buy it, or even just to get them to carry out your vision. It is always amazing. It's amazing when you write a script and then the props departments show you the props they've got for it, and you think, oh, my god, obviously not that, but in your head it's so clear in your head, and you're like, oh, I guess I haven't explained this properly. And it's very interesting that stuff. You do have to kind of learn ways of trying to explain things in a different way than it's natural to you. And then very occasionally have found this when we've made a film that you fight and you you say all these things, and there'll always be one decision or one moment where it's eventually you're just like, I can't explain it any better. I just really like this. I just really like this. And you can say all the arguments, but I don't have any more arguments outing it. It just feels good. Yeah, can we just do this because it feels good?
Speaker 2: Stand up to a really good way of learning to communicate, because that's the whole job. Yeah, music, I think is the opposite because you're not it's almost intangible. Yeah, So musicians like those two guys in that documentary more than anything, are like, we don't know how to tell you why this is.
Speaker 1: Good and you know what, It goes both ways. Because I found the hardest part of like when we made a thing was working with the composers because I don't have the music language to explain what I'm trying to get, and so when they'd send music, if the music didn't feel right to me, I didn't quite know how to explain what I wanted because I'm not a musician. So it's really difficult actually that communication of like can it be I wanted to feel, I don't know, romantic or whatever the fuck words you're using, and then somehow you'd get there in the end, But it was that was one of the hardest parts, was communicating.
Speaker 2: Having to describe music. So the second book I wrote was all about albums that I love, and I had to just written word to describe how an album sounded felt an everything was a massive, massive task and fun to learn how to do it. But having to describe as someone how a song sounds that makes you feel.
Speaker 1: It's, yeah, I need to get better at that. That is a real gave me.
Speaker 2: A whole new load of respect for good music critics. They're proper good writers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because to me, music's magic is like this thing made me feel things. I have no idea why, and it just happened. It should be that you're like, you just do the magic thing for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah thing, please magician?
Speaker 1: All right, what is your favorite sequel? Genie?
Speaker 2: So many contenders. Obviously we're taking Ghostbusters, Froze an Empire off the table. Okay, it hurts to do that, but okay, look there's loads and loads of contenders here. I think it comes down to a lot of honorable mentions. Evil Dead two, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey Home Alone two Lost in New York. These are honorable mentions. Comes down to three. One is Toy Story three. But you say that people mention it too much on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh they haven't for a while, because I haven't let them. You can say it now.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite toy story film. Patenton two is a perfect film. Yeah, everyone knows this, everyone would have said it on your podcast before. And then this other one is probably my answer because it also falls into the category of I'm always up for watching it whenever. But again, it's probably one that's been mentioned on your podcast byion times. But I probably go for The Dark Knight.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say Bad Boys Too, which is obviously the best sequel, but okay, yeah, yeah, the Dark Knight's very good.
Speaker 2: Im've learned from like the films, the films that I'm always in the mood to watch, like Dark Knight Departed. I think, like a heart, I'm a very different but I'm probably an insl Actually.
Speaker 1: That's what I was thinking. You're an absolute lad. You're a real blokey bloke deep down. Yeah, you like you like boys, tough guys, fire.
Speaker 2: I like films that can be misinterpreted to fully kind of empower the wrong type of bloke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think Fight Club is aspirational?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I hope that I interpret them the correct way. But I love them still as much as the wrong po people love them. Yeah that's good, but like, yeah, I mean I could have tried to come up with a cleverer answer. I mean before Sunset as well, was in the obviously incredible. But I've realized I basically like all the same sequels that everyone likes. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is probably the only one that isn't an obvious pick.
Speaker 1: We're going with The Dark Night because you're an inso and I love this about you. Yeah, it's what people don't know. I've got to accept it. Yea, what is your favorite film by a director that you don't usually like?
Speaker 2: To go? Just trying to think of this one, which is why, you know, just think about a lot of these which I'm annoyed because the rate you're asking me the questions is quicker than the amount of time I spent thinking about them. This is hard because what I realized with this one, I had to properly.
Speaker 1: I have just remembered that. Yeah, you think I'm rushing you too much, right, yeah, only because of time. I forget that. What you're amazing and you you've you've got like half an hour and every question, but we don't have that method.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I know that.
Speaker 1: So I have to I have to move you because otherwise we'll never finished. But I don't want to question in your method that we're moving. Oh listen, if you weren't a movies down, we'd be doing a five hour record. But you've got to get back to set.
Speaker 2: So the reason why it is difficult is because I realized that there's not really any directors I don't like that have done like one film that I love, unless it's their first film. And I thought it was unfair to have it be someone's first film because it doesn't really seem to be like a I don't know, do you know what I mean? I thought that doesn't really fit the rules, but I wasn't able to do it any other way. So it's two people. I don't even know these people's names. Okay, so it's between and this is like classic thirty nine year old it's between Napoleon Dynamite and Donnie Darko.
Speaker 1: That is that is a very good answer, that makes sense, pretty equal on both. I would say both directors. I've only watched two of their films, and also, yeah, the other films that I've watched, I feel kind of like much the same about maybe I'd go for Donnie Darko because like I preferred natural Libra to the.
Speaker 2: Box or the button or whatever it was called. So like, even though I really liked the concept of that film, great concept, So maybe I'd go Donnie Darko. But like both films Napoleon Dynamite and Donny Darko were I think probably anyone in my age, they just go in the all time faves list or maybe just again the insullly blokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don'ty Jaco, maybe that's in that list.
Speaker 2: I love it, absolutely love it, love it.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite film that you get the most stick about loving from people? And I don't know who you're hanging out with, but they're giving you stick about your favorite film that you let get given stick?
Speaker 2: Sure, I know if I've mentioned this on the podcast before, maybe have Lady in the Water?
Speaker 1: Have I said that before? I don't remember that coming up, but I have absolutely no memory. So I would love to talk about Lady in the Water. I love it, tell me everything.
Speaker 2: I think sham Alan is one of those directors who, at least at the time when the films were coming out, because he almost got more and more himself. I think so like this first film, which everyone would say is his best film objectively. He was like, right, this is what I need to make to make a film that people will like another people. And then with each film and it's been less and less what other people would like him more, just what he likes, right, So I reckon with him. He was doing his initial run of films before it is Little. I mean, I don't know what you'd call it. There's a brief time where they were like, you can't put your name on the films anymore. Your name little after Last air Bender, Yeah, yeah, your name's not on the poster anymore. And then he got his name back on the poster by doing his indie stuff. But every film up until that, so up until the Happening, I guess or whatever, I reckon, everyone's got a line where they go, no, I can't do these films anymore. But the film directly before that line is your favorite. It is often your favorite, Shamolanca. So I was there all the way to Lady in the Water and I was just like, I love that he's getting sillier, and Lady in the Water was so sweet in a way. I love ensemble casts of a massive sucker for an ensemble cast. It's a very good ensemble cast. Regardless of what you think of the film, you've got to admit that all those actors are good. I liked that it was just setting this little like.
Speaker 1: It's got your favorite movies down by Bala ban in it. Bob Balaban's in it. Yeah, he gets he gets eating by wolf or something eating a dog and demon dog for being a critic. That's why he gets eaten. He's a critic, Yeah, yeah, which is funny. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just really liked the fairy tale aspect of it and how it was like a fairy tale just done in a modern day. But Jim, I mean, poor Jim might is another of those acts I can watching anything. Jeff as well, so they're both knocking about in that film. Yeah, I just really haven't seen it in a while. But obviously every time people talk about Shammelin and whatever, I have to just be honest and say, I actually really like Lady in the Water. And then obviously I get destroyed and they writ me the shreds spot like like that Demon Dog did to Bob Balaba.
Speaker 1: I should watch it again. I imagine i'd probably find it.
Speaker 2: You won't like it. And the people don't like it.
Speaker 1: But he's he's Jesus in it right. He's a writer who will save humanity and the critic is eating by demon dog. I think that was what seemed like bold about it. Maybe people didn't like those bits, but I was like, that's great. It's really funny that he's done that with himself, that he's put himself as this savior as the writers with a safe human It is great funny that the critic gets to part by a demon dog. And if if the critics don't find that funny, the problem, but you know, I get that it's it's flimsy, and also that everyone everyone goes along with it too easily.
Speaker 2: In the everyone immediately believes him when he tells them this is like she came out of the water and there's these demon dogs coming and all this, and don't go you're nuts. They all go, Okay, what can we do? Which is why I thought the twist, because you're looking for the twisting Champ films, it was going to be that. It's like it's they've all got mass hysteria and they're all like, this isn't an apartment building, this is like a hospital and I thought that was going to be. The twist is like, how are they all going along with this?
Speaker 1: That's funny, but I still enjoy I fork it's sweet. God, I'm gonna have to watch this again. This is annoying. What is the single sexiest moment in all cinema?
Speaker 2: Always a question like this from you?
Speaker 1: Yep, And I don't regret it.
Speaker 2: I want it to come over a proper ans because I was almost going to go with some very generic ones that actually, if I'm honest with myself, I don't find that sex. Like I was gonna say, oh, Karon Diaz when she enters in the mask, that farck, But like that's me being told by the camera this is sexy. You're meant to like this, this is a sexy moment, and still goes on about it.
Speaker 1: It is like it is, I mean it is, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure it is, but it's not a sexy as Katharin Hahn is step Brothers. Katharyn Harten is step Brothers. Every time she jumps on John c Riley and tries to make out of him and says she wants to roll him up in a little ball and put her in her vagina. That is sexy. It's funny. Yeah, it's really funny, which is sexy to be frank, really really confident, really just like really over the top. And it already over the top film. Yeah, I mean, Katharyn Harnen is sexy and doesn't get enough credit for it. True, it's a much sexier, it's a much more carn Dias walks in the bank in the mask and I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, everything. Everyone's working real hard here to make this sexy. For me, that moment is step Brothers. It's like, I know you all think this is funny, but this is sexy. And also when I'm when I was making my list for this, I realized that me and Adam McKay, I think, have the same ideas and what's sexy because you know, also high up in the list was even Mendes and the other guys, and from On a Cocording Stone for On a Cocording Stone, sexy for all the Anchorman. She's holding her own in a in a world overrun by men, but she's still owning her sexuality throughout and still she's not she's not made of stone. She's a she's hot blooded, a wonderful answer. I think Adam McKay knows what he's like. I mean, apart from a big misstep when he put Margot Robbie in the bath. That's too far from me. That's not sexy.
Speaker 1: Again it is, But you know, I hear no way, I hear your very good tastes. What is the film that means the most to you as a family. Could be your wife and kids that you obviously have, or you and your parents, or however you interpret family, Vin Diesel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if this means the most us as a family or not. For me, it does, so i'd i'd have to ask my family. But I'm thinking of like my mum and my dad, and my brother and sister and growing up. And it's mainly because there's a family video of us getting this for Christmas, and me and my brother and sister lose our minds and we run around shouting it's Fantasia. We got it, We've got Fantasia. Pumped about it, and I wrote a school essay about getting Fantasia for Christmas, and in the school essay wrote the only bit I remember about it was that I said the final part is not to be watched before bedtime. I wrote it. I wanted other kids to not make the mistake that I did and watch the scary bit of the end before bed time about the Greek gods. But yeah, that for me was the is the film that I remember us getting most excited about receiving for Christmas. And then there's also on that home video footage of us watching Fantasia, just absolutely transfixed by it. And also it's just good to I've you know, there's a lot of films we probably loved as kids that now I try and like, we were obsessed with Three men and a baby, but I've watched it as an adult, and God, actually this is not a very good film. And I thought it was, but it's not as gripping as I thought.
Speaker 1: These three men really should be able to raise this baby without too much problem.
Speaker 2: And the plot seems overully complicated. Why is there suddenly the end of this film is this big like drug dealers are chasing them, like it's quite the tonal shift between this like funny three three bachelors trying to raise a little baby and singing a compella to it. It's bedside, and then suddenly there's drunky to running after them, give us that package. But like Fantasia still holds that that's exactly the y. It should be a cocaine plot in this cocain this which gets some very realistic props, But yeah, Fantasia still holds up very special film.
Speaker 1: You're a very good boy and a nice family because I think Fantasia I remember was I think maybe we're like the first big Disney VHS releases that I remember. It was a very big we had fantastic We had it like a really big, sort of commemorative fucking box one thing. But the reason I think You're good and special is because I also think the reality Fantasia is most children, including myself, secretly think it's boring, really exciting about it. Then you're like, it's really boring. It's this fucking good music and nothing nothing going on, but.
Speaker 2: Your I loved music so much you asthmatic point that like cartoons and music together was very's very exciting that they were doing that and.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll get it now, I'll get it now.
Speaker 2: Also it was like it was like, I guess that's why it stands out as the family films because I could watch it with my parents and feel a little bit grown up as well.
Speaker 1: No, I think what is the film that is as good or better than the book?
Speaker 2: Had to go on a film that I've actually read the book of what I'm talking out my ass? Yeah, I think ghost World, even though I no, it's a graphic novel, but I think that is as good as as good as the I wouldn't say I think better is, but I like how they expand the world of it, and there's all the stuff and ghost in the comic book that I wanted to see more of is what they expand on. They don't change the tone of it. It looks like the comic book has come to life. They've really they've cast it perfectly, the jokes as well, Land just as well, and the characters also. It like completely was how I grew up in keptn with like two like you know friends who were girls in my year who were into alternative music and stuff. And how they treat that boy in that film was a lot of the time how I felt. I felt, Yeah, they got this power over me that I really quote, I don't really want to go around doing doing all these stupid things, but pretty much joinnething they tell me do. So, Yeah, some of it really really spoke to grown up in a town where it felt like nothing happens and having just like walk around trying to make more out of your day and getting obsessed with like there was a weird older guy in Ketrin as well who would occasionally hang out with. It kind of was similar to that book. So yeah, but I really like how they expanded the world and it still felt like everything identified with in the comic book. It grew that out and I still identified with it all and can still like even more say oh, yeah, this is what I connected with.
Speaker 1: It's still still there. Are you still friends with Scully Hanson and Dora.
Speaker 2: Sirch No?
Speaker 1: No, do you know where they are? Do you know what happened to him?
Speaker 2: I know one of them is definitely still and kept because they bump into a few years ago.
Speaker 1: It. Did she still have power?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Instantly started punching myself in the face for her amusement. No, I think the power's gone, and you could tell in her eyes she was gutted.
Speaker 1: Furious set it himself. What is the what is the this one? I assume you have a lot on what's your favorite score to a film? Now I've asked you in one of the other episodes, what's the favorite soundtrack, by which I mean these songs. This I'm talking about composed score for a film. Yeah, this is weird because I don't like the film.
Speaker 2: I liked it when it came out because whatever age I was, and so then I really and it was the first soundtrack that I mega got into and then I got into all the soundtracks. Is John Bryan's iHeart Huggerbe's soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Hundred one hundred percent degree? You love that soundtrack? Yeah, absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, however old it was when the film came out as a teenager, I think, and it was like, oh, yeah, that's great, that's so clever. Oh, it's genius. And now I'm like, na, no, I don't. I don't really think that's a very good film. But I yeah, brilliant performance is in it. I think more probably just the writing and direction of an absolute maniac maybe pushed it off the rails. But and you know, I'll only watch films of his that have Amy Adams in them now. But she didn't like him either, so that that makes me double down in my statement the John Bryan score. So it was the first time I remember really really noticing a score in a film and loving it. I think it was great, and actually seeking it out online and buying it and listening to it outside of watching the film. So it's got to be that. And then also I then started watching or like I'd seek out what else he had done soundtracks for, and he was doing a lot of soundtracks for a lot of cool films around that point as well, since the first time I started paying attention to film score was his films, And I actually just love his entire career. I think he's a fascinating person. But like, yeah, that the main theme from that, the waltz kind of like because he played this old organ for it. I think they got in this really old, crazy organ that he could use in this massive like church type room and it was like one of a kind, like not many of them left anymore, and he composed it all on that. Yeah, all of it's great. I think each film that he does a score for, there's always like a song that's got some lyrics on it. Yeah, and he's he is so good at summing up what the film is about in a song.
Speaker 1: It's in song that song yourself out great, Yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, so good. I'd say it nails the message of the film better than the film.
Speaker 1: Does you know what. I went to see that film at the London Film Festival and he they introduced the film by having him play that song live on stage, and I thought exactly that. I was like, oh, you should have done this in the other order, because you peaked and then you said the film and it's like, oh, but he said it better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he knows what he's on about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said a chatting with him, I.
Speaker 2: Had a little playlist for a while on my iTunes of just all the John Brian some on some films that had.
Speaker 1: Lyrics and his stuff with Kanye's the best stuff.
Speaker 2: That He did an amazing album in twenty twenty where with Matt Miller, who passed away before the album came out and John Brian had to finish it. And you know when those rare instances where someone actually nails that, usually people then ruin it and it's sacrilegious to have released it. But that album's superb.
Speaker 1: He does Eternal Sunshine as well, right, I think.
Speaker 2: Sunshine Magnolia, The Breakup, I love The Breakup underrated yeah, he's very good.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite single set piece in a film that isn't a classic film overall?
Speaker 2: Favorite question? I love this question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say it is. And this is a film full of set pieces, but it's not classic, but I like it. It's when I've just put when the Dweed shoots everyone in Hard Times at the l Royale, so I really like I love that Bad Times at the l Royales. Sorry, apologies to everyone involved in making the film. You were better than that Bad Times at the Old Royal, which a film I like, I enjoyed I won't see at the cinema twice because I really enjoyed it for it was really fun film.
Speaker 1: And that's why I departed that film. I've watched that film so many times. I think it's brilliant, so very able because of how fun it is. I love films a big set pieces in them, which I think end up being the ones I can rewatch the most because it's just like constantly fun. And the one where I don't know his name, Bill Pullman's son Lewis gets up and designs he's just gonna like shoot them all. It's pretty incredible because it's a very satisfying payoff to that character's arc that he's been pushed around the whole thing and being a dewey But actually the reason why he's like that is because he can't. He can't let the beast down, he can't let the monster out, and he's really reckoning and dealing with all the things that he's done.
Speaker 2: There's a very very short little shot of him in nam is It I think, and that just tells you all you need to know. And then it's just one of those very cool shots where a character stands up and you realize, oh fuck, he was Karen behind us sofa a minute ago, and now he's just stood up and he's about to absolutely waste them all and he takes them all out.
Speaker 1: This is so funny because you don't realize what a great arc we've been on that we started this episode, you started to suspect you were an intel with your choices, and then your final favorite set is a guy's been pushed around too much shoots everywhere. Yeah, wow, Wow, what a reveal, huge reveal.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a lot to think about. I need to go away and reflect on my choices here. It's been very revealing. I mean every single bit of this to be fair if you go for all my answers.
Speaker 1: I have talked about it so many times, but my set piece of the year that it came out is in Bad Times at the Arroyo, where she sings the song and he's hammering to her clap under the tab for fucking oh. I love that.
Speaker 2: Should be in a lot of realizing stuff. I don't. I don't feel like she's in enough stuff. Even though she's done loads and she's multi talented and all of this, I still feel like she needs to be in my stuff. Yeah, there needs to be more lead roles. I might watch that film tonight.
Speaker 1: It's such a good film. Well, the gen James A Caster, You've come back to life as Last Pinfield, your character from ghist pastas, and you are using your expositional skills to try and solve the climate crisis and trying not let your ego to be the best climate crisis scientist get in the way of actually saving the world and causing more destruction. Yes, you are welcome to this new existence, but that you must choose one film to take with you when you're like hanging out with your climate change science buddies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I've stayed on theme here. I've been reincarnated. It's a recent one. Past Lives. I love Past Lives. It's it's one of the rare films that you know, you proper for me. Yeah, I kind of at the end of watching it, just like instantly. That's one of my favorite films. Really, that's straight to the heart, makes you really feel something that you haven't felt in that film hasn't made you feel.
Speaker 3: In a while.
Speaker 2: Love it and also come on thematically, I've nailed it. I've been and I'm going to playing Past Lives.
Speaker 1: Let's hope you don't come back more in selly this time. Yeah, that problem. I love Past Life so very much. I'm not going to say much about it because I did record my Films of the Year special with nich the other day, Films of twenty twenty three, which I'll probably release around August. But I do talk about Past Lives for about thirty minutes because I love it so much.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: It's a top ten all time. That's opposite. Yeah, this is your new life. I'm really proud of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is I've come back as.
Speaker 1: You're an outset. You're an out by the genie. Thank you for doing this podcast every hundred episodes. You're a joy and a delay and you are beloved by all in the UK.
Speaker 2: Surely this is the last one.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 2: If you're still going another one hundred episodes. Me and you're going to have either you've absolutely torpedoed your career or you continue to not accept the fact that you are way too busy for this.
Speaker 1: Thank you for doing this. In this Raye short window, we have, honest to.
Speaker 2: God, Bret, I feel like if you want a film reference, I feel like Ben Affleck in Goodwill Hunting. The best part of my day is waiting for you to log onto Zoom because maybe, just maybe you won't do it, and then I'll know that you've gone on to achieve your full potential.
Speaker 1: You're a movie star. Hello, you are happy, happy reincarnation. Good day to you.
Speaker 2: Say that's worse to yourself. You need to say those worse to yourself. This is ridiculous. I love doing it. I love doing it every time.
Speaker 1: So that was episode three hundred. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com. Forward Slash pret Goldstein The extra Chat Secrets and video with James. Thank you to everyone who listens to the podcast. We've come a long way, haven't we. Bloody our three hundred ridiculous anyway, Next one a fucking banger, so many bangers come in, You're gonna love it. Thank you to everyone who listens. I hope you're all well. Thank you so much to the You Need for giving me his time. Thanks to Scrubius, Pip and the Distracts Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics, at least alight them for the photography. Come and join me next week first smasher of an episode with a very big star. But that is it for now. I hope you're all well. Thank you as ever. But in the meantime, have a lovely week and please be excellent to each other. Six