Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 1: The air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me, Big Ben and Danny g Radio. We are going full throttle as the center of attention from a certain secret location, far far away out in the wild blue yonder and there's a lot of blue. I do see a lot of blue here in a secret location. As this is the Bora Fifth Hour podcast. Well I can't afford Bora Borb. Thanks for bringing that up. But Daddy here we are back again on a Saturday podcast. We survived the Friday pod, and that's usually what happens. You survive one, you come back and do another one. So we'll see how this goes. And again this is a test because I didn't do the radio show the last couple of days of the week, the last three days of the week I was off from the radio show, so I wasn't promoting this. So we'll see how we do with the downloads. But it's been pretty good. If I've often forgotten Danny to send out a link on I usually send something out on X yeah to a promoter, but I haven't done that the last couple of weeks, and the downloads have been pretty good.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna tweet something out from the FSR account this weekend, because I know you're busy.
Speaker 1: My right hand was getting a workout. Yeah all right, well that would be good. Yeah, send it out. Let people know they can find the content, which is important. On this podcast. We've got the the Malor Merch.
Speaker 3: I'm malor Merch. I'm gonna post on there exactly where you are too.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a good idea, but anyway, we have Malor Merch, me and Julio go f yourself, San Diego, the Immensa Meeting, and kids say the Darknessings. There's actually a lot of stuff to get to. We'll see if we have time to get to all of it. But we begin on this Saturday with the Malor Merch. We tease this on the radio show, and this will be coming to Viva Las Vegas August third. It is a trial run. It is a trial run. It's not available for sale to the general public, but only if you show up to the Malord Meet and greet. So I think we'll bring about seven of these things. But the Malor Keychaine, the first ever Ben Malor show keychain, will be available a must have item for p ones of the show. Must have item, only available in Vegas, and it's gonna cost a couple bucks to cover the fees of having the crap made, but it will be available.
Speaker 3: So the must have item of nineteen eighty nine, No.
Speaker 1: No, this in the keychain. He goes everywhere. This is a great keepsake of the show. Much like I talked about in yesterday's show, Danny that here I am a middle aged man. I'm still excited about a Jim Healey ashtray right now. I considered making an ashtray, but I don't know. There's a keychain. So someday there'll be a kid right now who's a child who will grow up to follow in my footsteps and radio and we'll have this keychain.
Speaker 3: You should have did a Mallard pipe can you imagine Coop walking around the hallways with the one Hey, that would be so popular. That is a great idea.
Speaker 1: Maybe for the holidays we could do.
Speaker 3: Finally, glass Blower.
Speaker 1: We can call it Benny's Bong, the Mallard Bomb. Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, there was a glass blower that used to call up the show when I worked on your Live Overnight show, and Coop took all his information down because the guy swore he was gonna mail Coop a package.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that. We had a guy from someone in the Bahamas. I think they called up. Was like he was a wee guy and he was gonna he was gonna to hook up Coop with the weed. He never that guy disappeared like a Rastafarian guy. He called up for a while and then he took off.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened to that guy.
Speaker 1: Remember the guy in Houston that used to send us the rings that was great. Yeah, he made Ben Malers show rings which was awesome. And I have some ripoff championship rings from different teams, the Dodgers of course the twenty twenty ring. And he stopped calling and he still sent me the twenty twenty ring. Yeah, he still listens, say Malard Merch Again, it's not that big, but it's kind of cool. It's unique. There's only a limited number of these things made, so it's when they're gone, they're gone type situation. I'm not sure how much they're gonna a couple of bucks, but if you go to the Mallar meet and greet, you'll be able to get that. So if you're interested in Vegas, August third, at the stakeout in Vegas, just near UNLV and we'll have a great time. So me at Julio. I've had a lot of requests for more details on what happened Danny, and so I'll use it right now here on this podcast. I will stoop so low as to flash back in the hot tub time machine. But several of you have said, how did this happen? So let's go back to the holiday weekend back on July fourth. And if you missed it because you actually have a life and you were not listening, it was just a random holiday show. So that means no, Eddie, Eddie wasn't there, Coop wasn't there. Just random chat whatever. And this guy calls up Julio from LA and so put the guy on. He starts busting my chops. He's goofing on the clippers and all that, and then he says he likes the show a lot, but he really misses Roberto. Like all right, well that's fine. And then he's like, well, why did Roberto leave the show? Why is Roberto? Why'd you get rid of Roberto? You know, He's like accusing me of getting rid of Roberto. So I'm like, well, I didn't get rid of Roberto. Roberto quit the show. He didn't want to work here anymore. He quit the show would become a bus ruck, right, And so it turns out that that was Roberto. He was doing a phony phone called Danny. It was a phony phone call from Roberto, and he didn't sound like him. He had just had a bit too much to drink. I don't know. He had a higher pitched voice than I remember. And it was weird because Loreno was there and she wouldn't know who Roberto is because she replaced him. Well, I was saying, but she wasn't there when Roberto was working at the company.
Speaker 3: So she would know who he is. And Coop didn't answer the phone.
Speaker 1: Well, he wasn't even there. It was Ian and Ian was Roberto has been gone so long? Ian who was filling in Ian Roddy the producer, and he not Roddy Roddy Piper Ian Roddy and then Brian Finley. Brian Finley was there, and of course he was. He didn't know who, you know, you know what was going on. You know, he he's zoned out eating some whatever, twig whatever nonsense. He's eating, you know, vegetables or whatever. So really sounded different and it was him. I would also like to point out I did reach out to Roberto about coming on the podcast. He says he'll do it. He was unavailable at the times we wanted to get him on, said he couldn't do it. Got stuff going.
Speaker 3: On big time, isn't you.
Speaker 1: I know? The wheels on the bus turned round and round. The wheels on the bus turned round and round. He did complain though, Danny, that the La Unified School District gave him a bus that does not have air conditioning in the one hundred degree weather in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: I'd rather take cockroaches and really strong AC over a bus with no AC.
Speaker 1: At this point, the cockroaches Danny. It's it's like we're working at an exotic zoo at this point. The cockroaches are that big. They really are they really ah, this is like Jurassic Park sized cockroaches. They run the company. They really do run the building anyway, They run the building. So there is that, and so it was good to hear from Roberto. I did not expect that. And I'm also upset with myself because I'm usually pretty good at detecting the phony phone calls, been pretty good about that over the years on this one. Did not figure it out. Did not figure it out. So I guess you could say, go f yourself, San Diego to me is what you can say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually have a famous drop from you saying that, go f yourself, San Diego. Do you remember that? And then we would play it sometimes in San Diego. Callers would call in and be like, I didn't appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That must have been when I was ranting about the Padres or something. Yeah, I believe so, San Diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because you know what we have in common as Dodger fans, boy do Padre fans annoy us. I'll get to that in a second. So you know, haven't been to San Diego in a couple of years, and you probably know why. What's between us and San Diego there.
Speaker 1: Is a roadblock. It's a nuclear power plant which is not activated and a military base which is a freakin' nightmare. Yes, that you It should take about thirty five minutes to go through that stretch, you would say, is that fair? About thirty five to forty minutes maybe to go through? Yeah, it takes an hour and a half to two hours, right.
Speaker 3: Ye, That stretch past Camp Pendleton is death. It's a couple hours just sitting there, bumper to bumper. So a lot of us just avoid going to San Diego unfortunately, beautiful city, amazing weather. In fact, that's why my better half suggested, Hey, we got a day here for the holiday, let's go to San Diego. We'll just take off early in the morning. So that's what we did. As I was producing the podcast to get it out to the world, my wife he was packing our bags and so I finished, I packed the computer, got in the car, boom, We're on the road. It was actually okay going there because it was a holiday morning where I think people were kind of already to their destinations. So we lucked out. We get to San Diego. Checking into the hotel was a whole nother situation though, because the city was way overcrowded for the Fourth of July weekend, long weekend holiday, so many damn people, and we kind of make our way through all the long lines to get into the room. And now the first stop on the Garadelli family trip SeaWorld. Visited SeaWorld.
Speaker 1: God I was I was a little kid, famous story in my family. My mom took us kids to sea World and we were sitting waiting for shamou and a seagull like I think it was some bird shit on my mom's hat. Why don't you help yourself? And it was like it was like a direct hit, and it was we were as kids. You know, when you're a kid, it's the funniest thing in the world, right, Danny, You're like, oh, oh man, that's like the greatest thing ever. I still remember that. And of course, when I worked in San Diego at the mighty six ninety we got all it was at Pacific Coast Highway, but SeaWorld Drive was the off ram. But I've not been a SeaWorld. I mean, I didn't even know it was still open.
Speaker 3: Well here's what they did. I'm not sure how many years ago the transition began, but half of it is roller coaster rides and excitement like that. The other half is marine biology and rescuing animals because after the backlash from that documentary about Shamou and Wales being in captivity, then they pivoted, pivot, they pivoted, and so now it's all about rescue and thrill rides there. They've done a great job at that park. So I got to give SeaWorld a lot of credit for the way the park is right now. In twenty twenty four, we took a big baby CoA to see big baby Belugas. One came right up to the glass and looked them in the face. It's nice, Yeah, it wanted to see him and a couple other little kids right there at the glass. That was really cool. And then we took him to a dolphin show. Superhumid that day. It was like eighty nine percent humidity in San Diego, which is odd for that city. But we had like one of those handheld fans and I had it on CoA like he was a prince the whole time. During the dolphin show. Who me get back to the hotel, sleep it off. Next day, go to the San Diego Zoo because we wanted to cram as much stuff into a couple of days as we could. Go into the San Diego Zoo again, Ben another amazing place in that city because not only do they have really large are they exhibits, enclosures what would you call it where the animals all have their space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have the reptile section, yeah, yeah, the monkeys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they renovated the big area for the elephants. Yeah. And so those enclosures in San Diego, it's much different from the La Zoo. The LA Zoo is way smaller. A little bit sad when you're in the l A Zoo because it doesn't feel like the animals have enough room to roam. Not the case in San Diego, and so they got a lot of room for themselves. We saw an orangutang. He came up to the window and he ship right in front of Cola.
Speaker 1: All right, nice that, Yeah, that's what I do.
Speaker 3: CoA clapped and I'm like, that is your ancestor, for sure you It was awesome. And they have buses that will take you around the zoo there, props to them. One of the best zoos in California for sure, hands down, and one of the.
Speaker 1: One of the great zoos in the entire country. Yeah, it's it's voted one of the top zoos in the country. And it's great and a little better than the Bronx Zoo, a little better than the zoo, and I consider it. It's not in Burbank, but it's Burbank adjacent the l A Zoo because it's in Griffith Park right, it's right next to Bourbank. So that's what I think. And then have you been to the Wild Animal Park?
Speaker 3: No, haven't been there yet. I think that'll be the next time, in two more years from now that we get back to San Diego again. Going super early in the morning, we were in the car I'm not kidding you, at like five forty five am because we weren't taking any chances. It paid off. After the awesome experience at the zoo, we get back to the hotel and that night the padres we're gonna shoot off fireworks for what they called a Star Wars fireworks extravaganza. All right, nice, Now, we couldn't exactly hear the music coming out of the stadium. But from our hotel room window you could see the stadium, so we're thinking, oh, free fireworks show. You know, we get to see whatever they're seeing at the ballpark. Yeah, and we're waiting around for the game to end. Of course, it goes into extra innings that night the Diamondbacks beat them, so me and my wife are giving each other a high five, like, you know, petty, Dodger fans understand why Dodger fans feel this way about the Padres. Here's why. The day we were at the zoo, I was wearing my Otani shirt. We saw so many ugly brown Padres gear that day. And what do you think they did when they saw my Dodger blue Otani shirt. They busted your balls, busted my boss gave your thumbs down. One lady was like with her thumb down. These Padre fans are so vocal you would think that they're like a five time World Series champion team. They are not okay, my Padre horrible, but they are very uh, you know what's the word, very boastful.
Speaker 1: Did they say, hey, we beat you in the wildcard rad we own you.
Speaker 3: They like to mix it up. So even at the hotel, I saw some Padre fans and they were giving me the thumbs down and all that. But now I'm downstairs grabbing us some dinner because we have about twenty minutes until the fire fireworks show begins. They lose an extra innings. I'm doing a victory lap in my Otani shirt. I run across probably eight nine ten different Padres fans as I walked through the marina to get back to my hotel, and now I get to give it back to them.
Speaker 1: Go f yourself, San Diego.
Speaker 3: And I said, and don't miss the fireworks show that's gonna happen in a few minutes to celebrate your loss. And a couple of them smiled. Other ones were, you know, giving me the business. But it was so fun because I did get to do a victory lap and then the fireworks shot off. Yeah, I was so wonderful. Ben, go f yourself, San Diego.
Speaker 1: There you go, go f yourself, San Diego. The Padres and I used to go to those games day back to the Murph Jack Murphy Stadium when I worked in San Diego. I would go out there for the Thursday Businessman specials and This was during one of the many fire sales the padres used to have all the time. And I recall I've told the so before I buy the cheapest ticket I could get, and then by the second inning I would be sitting either behind the podre dugout or behind the visiting dugout because I could do whatever I wanted.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was no one there.
Speaker 1: It was like being in an Oakland A's game right now.
Speaker 3: They do have a nice stadium there now, that pet Coo Park is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a pretty cool as long as.
Speaker 3: They lose at the end of the game.
Speaker 1: Thing there downtowns, it's hard to keep people away from the like the fireworks shows cool and stuff. But like you could have just put on Amazon music or whatever, Danny, right, you could have put the Star Wars theme on and just crafted ourselves. Yeah, do it yourself, Yeah, d I y all right. Moving on in that, we have the MENSA meeting. Another great moment in raded. This is one of the things I love about live radio that you can't do on a podcast. So we had over the holiday weekend, we had hollering James call up fast Asleep.
Speaker 3: Of course, as always.
Speaker 1: And Marcel and I had a conversation between mar Sell and hollering James. This really was a mensa meeting and if you heard it, it's one of the great moments. I hope it's on the year end show. I told people, I said, listen, you people, this thing's got to be on the year end show. This is one of the great moments we've done on the show. I know it's only July and there's a lot of time left between now and the end of the year, but hollering James was sleeping. Marcel always says, can you He wants to do this bit where he puts another caller on the air and all this stuff. So I was like, oh, I'll appease Marcel, so I put him on with James. I would then put Marcel on hold. I then went back to James. I would say something Marcel said, and then James would snore, and then I would come back to Marcell and said and I would I would say, here's what holler and James said, and then Marcell would respond to it, right, because you keep responding to it. So then I would go back to hollering James. And we did this seesaw type of thing, and it was.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I'd agree. I hope you enjoy a lot of people seem to enjoy it based on the feedback I got on the email bag, So you guys seem to like it a lot. And James, that is his superpower. Yes, that is his superpower. It's one of the more enjoyable segments I've done in years, going back and forth with Holler and James and Marcel. And you can't do that kind of thing on a podcast. The podcast is great because we are on vacation somewhere far far away in the boondocks. You can do a podcast. It's easy to do it. You don't need to have all this equipment and all that stuff like a radio show. But at the same time, there's some things that you can't do on a podcast that you can't do on a radio show. So it's just the reality of the world. Now, moving on from that, we have turning the page. Kids say the Darnedest Things. The Uncle Benny addition, not to be confused with other editions of kids say the Darnedest things. This is totally separate here, Dan, all right, so took my niece and nephew out to a nice bonding tell me me my wife, of course, the aunt, the ton as she's called. So I took the niece and nephew out for a trip to Hollywood in the Wood in Hollywood, it was my niece's birthday. Recently she's now the Crazy eights, So happy birthday to my.
Speaker 3: Niece and she.
Speaker 1: Gets to pick something for her birthday. She said she wanted to go to the Funko Pop Store in Hollywood. Have you ever been to the Funko Pop store in Hollywood, Danny, No.
Speaker 3: But I have a couple of Funko Pops at home on my memorabilia shelf.
Speaker 1: So co is a little too young for this. I would wait a couple of years. It's amazing though. It's like going to Disneyland. Oh, I bet it's insane. I did not know what to expect when I went in there, and I was blown away by what I saw. Just they nailed it. Free to get in there, of course you end up spending a bunch of money. You can make your own custom made Funko Pop, which is what my niece wanted. And so that was the highlight. That was the main event. We had a fun trip. We went to my favorite Mexican place in La el Coyote on Beverly. I used to live right near there, eat some Mexican food. That was where Sharon Tate had her final meal, killed by the Manson family. They actually have a little drawing of her out in front of the restaurant. That's a long time ago. Anyway, the kids get to the point. Please the kids say, of the darnest things. My five year old nephew who was tagging along because why not. His big sister was going, so he had to go with. So my five year old nephew, Jude, and on the way going to La and a little bonding Aunt and uncle kids bonding. Why not? And we get off the one to one freeway in La La, land in La and immediately we are transformed in a portal, not the transfer portal, but a portal, and we are dropped in to Dante's inferno. It looks like the Tenderloin district in San Francisco, but we're in La shanty town. USA. Looks like a third world country. There's tens over here, which is people are down, like the people in tents on the sidewalk there's zombies half naked walking around like you'd seen in the Tenderloin district. There's a flophouse here, there's a rat hole over there. So get to the main event. My nephew, now I did not prod him on this. My nephew looks out the window, sees the hard scrabble streets of La, the vagrants walking through the feces, the uror in the trash, and he says, without flinching, he says to me, is this a junkyard?
Speaker 3: How do you ever walk by a homeless person and ask yourself what can one person really do to.
Speaker 1: Help five year old kid? Is this a junkyard? He didn't know what homeless people are. He doesn't know any of that, That's what he said. Doubt you can thank your politicians for not keeping track of any lines, any laws or anything like that. So that that was my tail with my nephew. Moving on and we have the fun facts up hit the fun fun fact for fact for FA.
Speaker 3: I think you already met your quota for the weekend.
Speaker 1: Get one more time, Come on, Ohio, come.
Speaker 3: On one more.
Speaker 1: And thank you Ohio. Well, here's a fun fact for this Saturday. Saturday the annual number of worldwide shark bites is ten ten times less. It's not ten, but ten times less than the number of people beaten by other human beings in New York. That is my fun And let me repeat that. So because there's a lot of moving parts. So the annual number of worldwide shark bites ten times less than the number of people bitten by other people in New York.
Speaker 3: Now, are those hickeyes or like a bite trying to injure somebody in New York?
Speaker 1: It doesn't say, but I'm going vampire. I'm going vampire sucking blood is what I'm going with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, at.
Speaker 1: What bonus fun fact? Bonus fun fact? We have two fun facts. According to a recent survey of Americans, eighty four percent of vegetarians and vegans go back to the flesh of animals. They go back to eating meat eighty four percent. Fail rate eighty four percent.
Speaker 3: I believe it. Yeah, we have sharp teeth for a reason.
Speaker 1: That is similar to the percentage. You know, the numbers on people that go to rehab, and how if you go to rehab, usually you have to go to rehab multiple time because it's very difficult to overcome the demons, you know, and all that, and so I think that's around the same percent. So whether you're getting off meet, you're trying to stay off Meet, or stay off drugs, the success rate is about the same. It's about the same. Are we have the idiom of the week? Are you ready for the idiom of the week? The off the week idium of the week is the witching hour when I'm on the radio, not you, Danny, you'res during the day, but when I'm on the radio, it's the witching hour. The phrase witching hour the idiom began at least as early as seventeen to seventy five. It is credited to a poem that was the Internet before the Internet poems night an Ode. It was called by Reverend Matthew Wesh was his name. I believe it's an odd name. Oh, Matthew West. That makes more sense. Matthew West. Wesh Matthew West. He's dead, so he get upset with us. But the origin actually goes back further than that. But the seventeen seventy five is when it kind of became more out there with that poem. But it goes back even further to the fifteen hundreds when the Catholic Church prohibited activities during the three am and four am time frame because they were they were fearing that witchcraft was taking over in Europe, that the witches were out at that time between three and four am. So people think the witching hours at midnight, and most people do think of it as midnight, but back in the fifteen hundreds, it was between three and four am that time period. They were afraid witchcraft in Europe, worried about that. Now the term even goes back further. It goes back to medieval Europe when people were freaking out about witches and there they thought that Harry Potter was real. They were convinced of that. And according to the Celtic folklore, which has gathered to practice magic and conduct rituals at midnight on the eve of the Sabbath. And so that's that's all tied together. The witching hour, which is either three to four am or midnight to one am on the eve of the Sabbath. We'll get out on that, Danny, it's Saturday. Anything you want to promote here.
Speaker 3: Just this fine podcast. As soon as I get done producing it, shipping it out to the world and you get done listening to it. I would love for you to go hit a five star review and then not only write a podcast review, send it to like a friend, a family member, and Ben funk I was gonna say, fun fact, I don't want to use that, Ohio, I'll drop again. But our overall rating when I started with you four point six. Now our overall rating on the podcast four point nine.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 3: Do you know Dawn and Scott they saw that and they gave each other not only a high five in sync, they did cartwheels down the hallways at FSR.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they said, each of us get a bonus. We get to take as many cockroaches home as we want. So congratulations, Danny, you picked the biggest cockroach in the building. That is your gift. Happy summer, enjoy the summer with the cocker roach. Absolutely all right, have a wonderful day. We got one more pod tomorrow as I continue my long long trip far far away at a distant location, and we'll catch you next time.
Speaker 3: Enjoy wyoming later, Skater my flation