Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news from the heart of where innovation, money and power collide in Silicon Valley and beyond. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: Live from New York and Las Vegas. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. In Vidia rise to Samsung's rescue after disappointing quarterly results. Shares actually bounced back to Jensen Wang expresses optimism for the memory maker. Plus, we sit down with mobili at CS to discuss the future of autonomous driving in the US and our conversation with the CEO of Sirius XM on the company's focus on growth and leveraging AI. Meanwhile, Jenson Wang makes impact on all of quantum names that have rallied so hard in twenty twenty four. They're off to a bad start in twenty and twenty five, off by thirty three percent.
Speaker 3: Of iron Q for all the others.
Speaker 2: On the downside, just one saying, look, it's going to take fifteen to thirty years before we get some significantly useful quantum computing outcomes.
Speaker 3: So pouring cold water and some of that optimism.
Speaker 2: But on the upside, Jensen rides to the rescue of Samsung were currently up three point four percent, even though the numbers of their last quarter were dismal. But it looks as though the high bandwidth memory chips are so important to integrate into AI accelerators of in video while they're coming at a pace.
Speaker 3: Peter Elstrom has more on all of this.
Speaker 2: Peter, just give us the nuance because Samsung has lagged behind s K, Heihinis and smaller competitors when it comes to high bandwidth memory. But some optimism from Jensen Wang here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right. So Samsung reported preliminary earning, so we're going to get the final earnings later. But as you said, they were pretty terrible. They reported operating profit of six point five trillion Walt's about four point five billion dollars and so third less than everybody had been expecting. Revenue was also a bit late. But just a few words from Jensen Wong and the stock went up. And really the reason for this is what he said was not even that positive. But he said that Samsung has to make this leap to AI chips. They have to make these breakthroughs, and he said that they're working, they can do it, and they're doing and they're working very fast to do it. They're trying to come out with the next generation of high bandwidth memory chips that will be paired with the Nvidia AI accelerators to be able to train these AI models. So just a few words from Jensen Wong were really enough to turn around Samsung's fate. He expressed some optimism that they're making progress. They're coming out with a new design for the HBM chips, and Vidio is going to get to the point where at some point they're going to give them approval for these HBM chips, then they can start to buy from them. In addition to ask k Heinix essentially as Kahnks has had a monopoly on this market so far, so in Vidio wants competition there. They want Samsung to get into the.
Speaker 2: Market, and boy hasn't been displayed in the share prices right we saw sk heinicks up about twenty percent LAS, whereas I think is about a third of the market capitalization of Samsung was ripped away because of their seeming delay on getting in on high bandwidth memory.
Speaker 3: Are they having though to spend a lot? Is that why we saw the disappointment in the numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly they're investing very heavily, and Samsung is not used to being in this position. Samsung has long led the memory market. They've been the biggest, they invest the most amount of money, they get the best engineers, and what they're seeing is that es khin has kind of like the little brother in this market, has been able to surpass them. And partly that's because Skhinnicks had a breakthrough design and how they organized their HBM chips that really help with some of the heat dissipation issues that are necessary as we move into this higher powered computing with AI in AI memory in particular. So eske Hynicks has gotten ahead of them. They got invidious approval to be able to ship these chips. That's been a huge boom to esk Heynicks in their share price so far. But they have Samsung right behind them, very determined to catch up, and as we heard from Jensen Wong, they are making progress.
Speaker 2: Alstro, we thank you so much. Now that's head out to Las Vegas. We are our own ed Ludlow was on the ground at CES with the laterst dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so interesting to hear Peter talk about the semiconductor and AI demand at Samsung, because if you look at the numbers, it was everything not AI that was the pain point, and a lot of the street going into that print.
Speaker 6: Were like, well, what does Samsung do?
Speaker 5: They sell smartphones and they smell, they sell high end TVs and everything here at CES is all the rest, right. They're always the biggest exhibitor here, high end appliances that AI integrated. I don't know if you have an AI integrated fridge or washing machine, Caroline, I don't know if I need one. But that's what Samsung was hoping would be a boost to profit in particular, and it didn't materialize.
Speaker 2: It certainly didn't. But actually Jenson Wang right to the rescue, and is Jensen's making moves whether it's on quantum stocks as well. But just talk us through a little bit more of what we're seeing unfolded when it comes to actual consumer technology here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so if you and my in the ginormous hall behind me, right at the center of it, out of shot, is this like mini stadium, and that is Samsung's display. It's always the biggest, and they are betting that the consumer now is going to part with their cash to build out their home in competition with Apple, in competition with Amazon. I spoke to Jianjung, executive vice president, Samsung, head of smart Things. It's all about efficiency, cost and energy.
Speaker 6: Listen to this.
Speaker 7: Twenty twenty four was the ten year anniversary since Samsung acquired smart Things and started building this smart home experience to our consumers. And with this smart Things platform, you know, we are just so thrilled that each year we can really deliver new, like innovative features to our customers and like from like the kitchen to living room, bedroom and all the appliances and TVs and you know watches and rings and Galaxy devices that you know, with the smart Things platform, we can really help you live in the best way, like optimize, we can we can set the optimized settings for you for your bedroom and kitchen and living room. So so with the smart Things, you know, the connectivity and then AI that we add to make this appliances and device a small adaptable to your lifestyle. I think that's the really great benefit of smart Things platform.
Speaker 8: What can provide ideas?
Speaker 5: Are you recognizing in the consumers, So for example, say somebody watching this has never had a connected appliance to device let alone and an.
Speaker 9: AI capable washing machine or refrigerator.
Speaker 7: Well, we think that you know, so you may want to start with one like appliance at a time, right, but once you once you experience that benefit, then I like you may want to then change replace all the other appliances.
Speaker 3: I mean that's what I actually did.
Speaker 7: So I recently moved to a new apartment and then you know, I was like, okay, so maybe I can sort of have a one new washing washer. And then it's just the benefit is so great, right, so you can remotely control it, you can see the energy use. Then then why not you know, replace the dryer so that I can have added benefit. And then you know, once I see the value of okay, then with the washer and dryer and then then cooked up and the hoods, you know they all together, then you can say more energy, uh, and then you can sort of have also coordinated control that we can provide so kind of slowly, one at a time, you can sort of build a smart home that way.
Speaker 5: This is the Consumer Electronics Show. But one of the more interesting announcements I found was that you're taking small things into a scenario that people might not expect with some some heavy industries shipping.
Speaker 9: It's talking big commercials right boats?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 10: Why why?
Speaker 9: Why? Why would a ship and a shipped crew need small things?
Speaker 8: Why not? Right?
Speaker 7: So? Right, So we are So this year's CS you'll see our offerings in the home and beyond the home. So we have the smart Things pro solution that we built on top of smart Things platform. So this smart Things pro solution is for business and we are expanding that functionality to car fleet of cars and ships. So you know, you'll see our exhibition of our collaboration with Samsung Heavy industry this year.
Speaker 2: The executive EP and head of smart Things at Samsung there with Ed coming up. We'll be joined by the Panasonic North American chairwoman and CEO, Megan may One Lee live from CS.
Speaker 3: This a bring bad technology.
Speaker 5: Okay, welcome back to Las Vegas and some special coverage of CS twenty twenty five. One of the big focuses in this place is always about the technology behind energy, the supply chain for energy. One of the companies that talk about that most is Panasonic, from energy supply chain right through to consumer products as well. And I'm delighted to say that Megham Young Wong Lee, Panasonic's North America CEO is here. As every year we talk and every year there's an update. So let's start with what I think your focus was, which was energy supply chain. Yes, Why, what's new and in particular, how are you using artificial intelligence to get better?
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 11: So we did the Kenot speech yesterday and our message was all about well into the future as one hundred and six years old old company, and we're making big investment in North America in the area energy for evy batteries. A supply chain is also a critical part of our business and the area that we're trying to make a contribution for a more efficient smart supply chain solutions. So we about blu Yonder and blue Yonder is coming out with an end to end visibility capability with AI agent. They can customize for your problems and solutions and can work with you. So we're really excited about that announcement.
Speaker 6: What kind of a deal was that? How difficult was it gets to be done?
Speaker 5: You know, like the story of twenty twenty four was companies, industrial companies particularly going out and saying we're either going to have to acquire capabilities, we're going to have to grow them internally.
Speaker 11: You went one way, yes, yes, So we started working with them a couple of years ago, and we're really excited about their our ability and investment that we made with blue Yonder and their capability to really the problem of the supply chain resilience and safety and will be the forthcoming with the newer technology, and we're really excited about that. So it's a bully under subsidiary subsidiary of Panasonic, and they're in North America based and it's a great announcement for US and newer capability for us.
Speaker 5: You said two things, supply chain resilience and investing in America. And I post on social media every year that I'm going to be speaking to you, and every year I get dozens of questions.
Speaker 6: Hundreds actually in this case, I would say.
Speaker 5: The vast majority are about the upcoming Trump administration and potential tariffs and policy around China. And that's so interesting to you because of the Evy battery supply chain in particular in this country.
Speaker 6: What's your message around that?
Speaker 11: So even before the Trump administration, the supply chain, I mean, we all know that China controls a lot of row material.
Speaker 6: We head out material being.
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, the Eavy batteries yes, yes, So we've been working hard even before I mean during COVID, everyone had the challenge of managing supply chain. So we had that issue of trying to make sure that the supply chain is smooth and predictable and under control. So we have vested interest to make sure that it's closer to the production. The production being Reno and a newer factory in Kansas which is opening up this spring.
Speaker 8: We're really excited about.
Speaker 6: Okay, give me more updates.
Speaker 5: I have the next question from the audience, partip those that follow names like Tesla right, ask give me a factory update please.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 11: So our Reno operation has been really successful and it's up and running for now ten years, and we're opening up new operation in Kansas, and we've been building the factory for now two years. It's going to open up in April and well we'll be in full operation from spring and summer this year. And we're working with partners like Mazda Subaru which is a very announced and Lucid as well.
Speaker 6: That's right with the gravity projects exactly. Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 5: So I got a question for you about Lucid, and when I read it from me, it was from an audience member.
Speaker 6: I was trying to think, like, what's what's the core of this question?
Speaker 5: But I think people were surprised that you partnered with Lucid on the gravity it might not necessarily be a high volume ev initially, what was your thinking there?
Speaker 11: So Panasonic being a one hundred and six years old company, and it's great to work with the partners.
Speaker 3: Like Sabaru and Mazda, but we're very also.
Speaker 11: Keen on working with up and coming, newer companies so that they challenge us and we learn from them and make sure that we're partnering and capable of partnering with the companies like Lucid.
Speaker 8: And we're really excited about that.
Speaker 3: It's going really well.
Speaker 5: I've covered that company a few years and interesting vehicles. They're not very good at building them, you know, from a volume perspective. When you make a decision like that, how do you weigh that up in your head? You know, because you want to be able to provide supply. It helps you in supply chain planning.
Speaker 11: I do think we as a company want to take a chance and partner with the companies that operate different ways than US. Bluyander is an example why it's a software company US based, and Lucid is also a newer partner too. But we have a success cases with Tesla ten years ago and we're doing it again with Lucid, and we're very bullish about that.
Speaker 6: What is the latest on the Tesla relationship? Where are you innovating and where do you see it progressing?
Speaker 11: We are Panasonic as a Panasonic and really excited about the forty six eighty capability.
Speaker 6: Which where are we at with forty six eighty?
Speaker 11: So that product is.
Speaker 8: The capability and quality is great.
Speaker 11: It's been tested and production in our mother company factory in Japan, and we're planning on bringing it to our cancas in the future.
Speaker 5: You with respect, R a CS veteran. You've been to many what's it been like this year? Many of the and automakers are here just walking around. I feel like even on the consumer electronics side, genuine consumer electronics, things are positive. Yes, what have you been talking with your customers your suppliers with what are they thinking about?
Speaker 11: So we started working with CTA and CS since nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 8: Okay, so we're one of the longer, so we feel.
Speaker 3: Like we've grown up with the CTA.
Speaker 11: CES is not necessarily so much about newer gadgets and products.
Speaker 3: It's about our message.
Speaker 11: Our keynote speech was about storytelling how we grew up with the CTA for past sixty years, so we feel really good.
Speaker 8: AI was big last year.
Speaker 3: This year it's all about application.
Speaker 11: Even including us. We made an announcement about a product called Umi. It's an AI wellness coach that's on the floor, and you know, it's a newer capability that we're demonstrating on this platform, which is a little different from our past capability, but we are coming up with a newer solution and AI product.
Speaker 6: We just had fifteen seconds. Are you ready for the Trump administration? Yes, we are, and.
Speaker 11: We've been prepared for this and we will work with the government to make sure that our investment in this market is meaningful for our company as well as as well as for the market.
Speaker 5: Megan Young onely, I always appreciate catching up here in Las Vegas, Panasonic North America CEO Caroline back to.
Speaker 6: You in New York.
Speaker 2: Great conversation and another story ed that we're watching and it's going back to Anthropic, the open AI rival, is in advanced talks to raise two billion dollars and a funning round that would value the startup at sixty billion, sources saying this Lightspeed Venture Partners is leading around. Anthropic was recently on pace to generate around eight hundred and seventy five million.
Speaker 3: Dollars in annual revenue.
Speaker 2: Serious XM, the online radio service, so is it's focused on growth after it's twenty twenty five full costs missed expectations.
Speaker 3: That was back in December.
Speaker 2: Now, Belie Meg's Ed Ludlow just caught up with the CEO Jennifer Witz at CES and began with a discussion on AI implementation.
Speaker 8: In some ways, I think.
Speaker 12: We're the ANTIAI in terms of in terms of content creation and curation, right, So, you know, we pride ourselves on the hosts and the programmers that we have, the people that actually put together the channels and the shows. It's the voices you hear every day on your commute, but really drive that intimacy that audio offers in the connection. Where we will leverage AI is in some respects where others have used it as well to provide better discovery and personalization, right, So we hope that our programmers can really curate an experience to help you find what you love. But also the technology of AI could create more personalization in our marketing, in the product itself in terms of recommendations to enhance that and more. And of course there's lots of other benefits for AI in terms of cost reduction and more efficiencies in the business.
Speaker 8: Overall, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 6: So let's talk some business.
Speaker 5: Last month, you basically said this is our revenue outlook for twenty twenty five, and investors, for whatever reason, we're disappointed. You also said that you're going to cut costs run your business. How is the cost costing going and what were the factors that I guess if you accept that the revenue outlut is not what your investors want to see, what were the factors behind it being what it was.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So we're very focused on supporting the top line and the two aspects of our business that we've talked about, subscription and advertising, and we have opportunities to continue to grow there and drive improvements to that part.
Speaker 8: Of our business. But we're really focused on the subscription side on what we do best.
Speaker 12: Audio first, and in the car, because that's where we've proven that we can really be successful, and that's where radio is very successful in our ads business. We talked about where we're at in terms of podcasts and other content to build out that portfolio, and yes, cost reduction will be increasingly.
Speaker 8: Important as we move forwards.
Speaker 12: We want to sustain our industry leading margins, and on top of that, we also have significant free cash flow generation right and as we get to our target leverage ratio, we'll be able to increasingly return capital and shareholders, whether it's through our dividend or through show repurchases as well.
Speaker 5: I think I'm right in saying this is your first CES in about five years. That's right, It's packed. There is an intense focus on the exhibitors AI. I would also say there are lots of questions about what twenty twenty five is going to be like, in particular because we have a new administration that will come into office this month. How a serious extent preparing for that? Do you see if being a factor to.
Speaker 9: People that listen to audio in America this year?
Speaker 12: We have a really diverse set of content, and I think one of the things we saw during the election is an increase in news and politics content consumption, which is probably not surprising, but it just speaks to the overall bundle and that we have something for everyone at any given time depending on what's going on, and also the value of live linear when something important is going on. So I think, you know that's going to continue to be a focus for us. And then you know there are things like you know, people are focused on tariffs and taxes and what happens with the auto business.
Speaker 8: But you know, we feel really good.
Speaker 12: About our position in terms of our availability across the spectrum of auto manufacturers, being a lot of meetings with the OEMs while we're here, in addition to advertisers, and I think we feel good. December was a great month for auto sales, so hopefully that's an indication of what's going to come in twenty twenty five. Strong auto market is great for our business.
Speaker 2: Serious XM CEO Jennifer Witz There, welcome back to New Meg Technology. I'm Caroline heid and new I'm looking at d Wave Quantum as one of the key quantum stocks we are keeping an eye on. Jensen Wang takes a sledgehammer to some of these market capitalizations by saying, look, quantum from a really useful perspective, I'll gonna be there for about fifteen years. Many got very excited post the Google Willow AI chip and Quantum chip at that. But let's just talk a little bit more about what Video CEO Jensen Woe has been saying. He actually joined us yesterday at CES and had this to say about the outlook for autonomous driving.
Speaker 3: Just take a listen.
Speaker 13: The automics vehicle industry and the robotics industry is reillly im point to us, and we offer three.
Speaker 10: Computers for them.
Speaker 14: We offered, of course the training computer three DGX through DGX, the robotics computer that's inside the car or inside of robot and now we have this new computer called Omniverse with Cosmos that is the digital twin or the playground where these robots.
Speaker 6: Can learn how to be robots.
Speaker 13: And so if we could accelerate the development of an artificial intelligence for avs and for robotics, it brings.
Speaker 10: In a lot of business for us.
Speaker 5: So interesting to see in video move in more aggressively to autonomous driving. Part of that Cosmos Foundation model play is the generation of synthetic data text input generate images of video train models on that video rather than real world data. A lot happening in this space. One of the key players mobilize and the CEO I'm not Sashu joins us once again in Las Vegas.
Speaker 6: That is an academic debate.
Speaker 5: I've always understood mobilized advantage to be that you have scs or chips in vehicles already on real roads around the world. Real world data, Jensen says, synthetic data.
Speaker 15: What do you say, Well, synthetic data is a big thing in humanoid robotics. Why for humanoid robotics because each robot has different actuator types, different placement of actuators. So if you build a foundation model using some architecture of your robot, it will not generalize to other architectures. If you build a foundation model from synthetic data, you can have something that generalizes to all robots. For example, you know, I co founded a company in humanoid robotics, manter Robotics, three years ago. So they rely heavily on Nvidia's physics simulators and build foundational robots from synthetic data, and you can then train dexterity. You can pick in place of objects grasping and so forth, just from synthetic data. With cars, it's different with cars. All cars look alike in terms of factuations.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 15: What you want to minimize is distribution drift. You don't want to train a model on some artifact that could come from from synthetic data. Well, if you don't have real data, that's all what you can do. But if you have real data, then you can be more precise.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the Jensen's argument was that these syndetic data augments the real world data.
Speaker 15: No, but what we do at Mobilize, say, for example, we find an edge case, Okay, then we go to a simulator. We have simulators, We go to a simulator and we generate many, many examples.
Speaker 6: Of that edge case.
Speaker 15: Right, But it's this is a multiverse, multiverse, So this is really really for edge cases, but not for the kind of you know, main.
Speaker 5: Saying multiverse like, this isn't spider Man, this is autonomous driving. Let me just make an observation and at the team in New York, let's bring up Mobilized shares.
Speaker 6: The stocks down significantly.
Speaker 5: Is that because video is coming out strong and saying we want some of this autonomous driving market as well.
Speaker 6: I don't think so.
Speaker 15: I think investors were expecting announcements and we're not ready yet with announcements. I think we'll have major announcements throughout the year, but we're not ready yet.
Speaker 6: And this is a natural response for that.
Speaker 5: You have something to show, and that is the Volkswagen ID Buzz, the Caampa van battery electric. You are working with them on a higher level of autonomy for that product. My understanding is like it's in the prototype phase. However, a lot of the pieces are there to go to production, but there is no plan as it stands to firm drying go to production update US.
Speaker 15: Well, no, there's a firm plan to go to production. It's end of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 10: Right now.
Speaker 15: There are about one hundred and fifty vehicles not driving in Hamburg and Munich in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 5: Testing.
Speaker 15: Yeah, testing, but there's a firm plan to go to start off production.
Speaker 6: That must be a really big deal for you guys.
Speaker 15: Yes, but you know, robotaxis is a spectrum. We build robotaxes with id bus and we'll also with the Scheffler and the Vernia. We build with aud a consumer level autonomous car, a level three level four on highways, which will come out in twenty twenty seven. And by the way, there's lots of commonality in hardware between those two. It is the same q, the same boards. We are developing imaging radars both for the consumer car and for the and for the robotaxi, so that commonality would reduce costs considerably. And we have also FSD like systems which we call Supervision three hundred.
Speaker 5: Thousand like in the sense they are camera vision based system so purely camera based.
Speaker 15: There is an optional front facing radar, but it's purely camera based and it's it's eyes on. It means the driver is still responsible. You cannot you cannot let go of driving.
Speaker 6: Very quick on this one.
Speaker 5: Mobili has a broad offering in the theater of autonomous driving robotaxi.
Speaker 6: Which specific deployment do we see first.
Speaker 15: Well, we see the Supervision we're already deployed in China. But our next generation, which it's ninety five percent of the focus of the company, is this next generation on the I six coming out next year. It will be on all Volkswagen Group eighteen models of the folks I can go up, including Portion and Audi that's coming out next year at twenty twenty six, and then Chauffeur, which is the level three autonomous driving on highways, will come twenty twenty seven, early twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 10: I have to ask you this.
Speaker 6: You are a key automotive supplier.
Speaker 5: You must be speaking with your customers and partners this week about the coming Trump administration. How do you think that's going to impact twenty twenty five in the auto market, particularly here in North America?
Speaker 15: Now, putting politics aside, I think it's.
Speaker 6: Going to take society but not policy.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but I think from a policy point of view, it's going to be very positive. The problem with the US is that there's a patchwork of regulations state wise and federal wise. If the President comes in and puts and you know, puts things in order at the federal level, it could promote autonomous driving, consider.
Speaker 5: Which Elon must mentioned exactly. So I see that very positive. I'm not just sure. Great catch up, Thank you for your time. I will go and check out id Buzz Caroline. We keep guying CSS Vegas.
Speaker 10: Back to you.
Speaker 2: Certainly do let's stick with autos because Scout Motors in the US, its revival, is betting big on range.
Speaker 3: Extenders on evs today.
Speaker 2: It's come back by twenty twenty seven, that's as Volkswagen relaunches the legendary name pipe. Ed sat down with the CEO, Scott Keo, and began by asking him about the demand the company has seen since its announcement.
Speaker 10: Yeah, look, the reactions spend huge.
Speaker 16: We're not giving the mixes, but I would say, you know direction it will probably over fifty percent would be in the range extended version.
Speaker 6: Really, and I think in my why I think the motives, I think there's two reasons.
Speaker 10: I think one a portion of the America.
Speaker 16: This gives us a fifty state vehicle, which I think is exactly what Scout always wants it to be. I think, look, what are the two challenges we see with electrication, charging infrastructure, and of course this takes that all off the table, and plus this convenience. So I think those two things Ranger Center makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: Let's find some common ground and give some context of the audience about Scout. You know, one might frame it is Volkswagen's play to take a foothold long term in the US market.
Speaker 10: Giving your CD.
Speaker 5: You understand that, but we're waiting until twenty twenty seven, it's a long way.
Speaker 16: Look, I think what we're doing is we're storing an American icon. I think Scout was an iconic American brand, and now we're bringing it back to life. So if you're waiting for just a product, well, yeah, twenty seven might seem like a long time. But if we're stating to restore an American igon, bring back four thousand jobs into South Carolina, start an entirely new company.
Speaker 10: I think it's the perfect time. So what the reaction to the customers.
Speaker 16: Has been, we want to go along for this journey, and I think twenty seven is manageable.
Speaker 5: What's interesting in some sense is that Scout is kind of leading the way in the concept of extended range. So you look at some of the legacy OEMs they have put on pause, pure battery electric offerings, variant pickup or otherwise, and they may now look at the plug in hybrid or the extended range.
Speaker 16: You see how this following See yeah, I do, and I'll tell you why it's perfect technology. I think, first and foremost, the two platforms are exactly the same.
Speaker 10: This is critical.
Speaker 16: So the platform for an EV and the platform an extended range or exactly the same. The second thing, it has zero impact on manufacturing and the plant, so you don't need to retool the entire plant. It's two relatively simple JIT operations, one for the tank and one for the engine. So this gives you ultimate flexibility. You could go from zero to one hundred percent, or fifty to fifty whatever it is. So regardless of the way America goes, we are put in a position for the next twenty thirty years to have a tech platform right that can navigate it.
Speaker 2: Scout Motors CEO Scot Kio there coming up when we joined by the Zeeman's US president and CEO, Barbara Hunton.
Speaker 3: Again it's live from CES. This is bloting big technology Semens. It's showcasing its vision for the future here and over in Las Vegas as well.
Speaker 2: Let's see, yes, a future where data, AI and automation can provide more flexibility and optimization across the world's industries big and small. And pleased to say Ed Ludlow is now sitting down the key executive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's so interesting about this is that we started with video and in Vidia talked about in particular Omniverse. It's simulation and three d graphics platform. Basically customers can go in and work within it, but the customers are also here, and that's what's so interesting about Zemons and North America. Barbara Hunton, I find Omniverse hard to understand. I would say it's at the center of what you've been talking about as an Nvidia customer this week.
Speaker 8: Explain yeah, in video is a treasured a partner of ours. You know, Siemens as the maker of industrial software.
Speaker 17: We've got the tools that help designers and engineers visualize and actually work with the most comprehensive physics based digital twin. But when you would look at the drawings that we'd produce, they looked a lot like engineering drawings. Right now, layer on the omniverse and bring that photorealistic rendering, and suddenly engineers anywhere can connect look at this object that looks.
Speaker 8: Like it will look in the real world. That's the power of Omniverse.
Speaker 5: I think something that will street. But generally people the interest in technology are trying to understand. Is that all sounds great. If you are a business, Does it help you make more money? Does it make the running of your facilities instantly better?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: My heavens yes, and let me tell you how.
Speaker 17: Right here in our booth, we're featuring customers of ours who've chosen to use our Siemens Accelerator platform, and what they're doing is using these tools to help them in the design phase in the manufacturing phase. Why would you want to go digital first so that you can try all kinds of permutations in the virtual world before actually vending metal and making things for real. Think about Jet zero, This is a blended wing aircraft that'll be brought to market. And there Tom Leary, their CEO, said the other night to me.
Speaker 8: He said, we chose Semens because it's the best.
Speaker 17: We wanted to start in the early phases with the virtual designs that would allow us to flow through into the manufacturing phase.
Speaker 5: I guess, in really simple terms, if you build your own product like that platform, do you then just basically sell it as a high margin service?
Speaker 6: How does it translate to the business model for Semens.
Speaker 17: Yeah, we're engaging with customers in a lot of different ways. In the olden days, we would have enterprise agreements. You know, think about all the aerospace, automotive today, battery manufacturers. We serve all of those markets, helping the designers, the manufacturers, the operators, but we know that there's a need to put all that in the cloud, make it accessible on a per user basis.
Speaker 8: So that even startups can get going.
Speaker 17: And here with team centers offered up in our Semens Accelerated Accelerated marketplace, if you went to Eureka Park, you'd see a bunch of startups who are being onboarded, and we're giving deep discounts for that license suite so that people can get their entryway into this new economy that's being built.
Speaker 6: You are an experienced CS GOA yes.
Speaker 5: This week in particular, how many conversations have you had with customers partners about the upcoming administration tariffs and are you ready for that?
Speaker 8: At Semens, we're absolutely ready.
Speaker 17: And here's what I keep telling our customers and certainly our own organization.
Speaker 8: We've been in the United States for one hundred and sixty years.
Speaker 17: We've worked with all of the administrations along the way, and Siemens' capabilities are aligned with national priorities. So whether we're talking about increasing the amount of electricity that's available for data centers and using the switch gear that Semens make, so whether we're talking about the resurgence of manufacturing and these tools we're featuring. This is a moment when Semens can have true impact.
Speaker 5: You might benefit from some policy that's coming. Have you had to adjust supply chain make it more onshore, more focused In America.
Speaker 8: This has been a trend for Semens.
Speaker 17: Actually, you'd see if you looked at our global mega trends we follow, glocalization is one of them. We truly believe that bringing a manufacturing supply chains closer to the point of use is going to be a trend going forward. So we've been making in America for decades now, and no, I don't see tremendous change coming for us.
Speaker 8: But we truly want to be responsive.
Speaker 17: In particular, we think that the kind of technology we bring can make even government customers more efficient and effective.
Speaker 5: So Elon Musk would like to hear that to talk about it. You are someone that meets with so many CEOs during the week. I always am grateful for your time here at CES. Barbara Humpton, Siemens North America CEO, Caroline, that's.
Speaker 3: You in New York and it's time now for talking tech.
Speaker 2: First up, Tencent has announced its biggest buyback since two thousand and six, we're purchasing three point.
Speaker 3: Nine three million Hong Kong listed chef. The move comes amid a.
Speaker 2: Sell off in the stock after the tech film was added to a US blacklist for alleged links to the Chinese military. Plus, Indonesia keeps its Apple.
Speaker 3: iPhone sixteen ban.
Speaker 2: The country says the tech giants one billion dollar investment plan, which includes building an air tag factory, is insufficient to meet local investment requirements. Indonesia says it's willing to negotiate with Apple, but may impose sanctions if the company continues to not comply with the investment rules. And TikTok shop rival whatnot has raised two hundred and sixty five million dollars worth evaluation of four point ninety seven billion. The LA based livestream shopping platform says it plans to use those funds to hire engineers, improve customer service, and expand into new countries. Whatnot's funding around coincides with a looming US ban, potentially on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Sending some of its live sellers maybe to competitors.
Speaker 5: This ces in Las Vegas feels a little bit different. Twenty twenty five. Yes, the inauguration of a new administration is around the corner, but there's just been more news.
Speaker 6: Nvidia kind of.
Speaker 5: Kicked it all off in the week and here a Bloomberg Technology. We're ramping up as well our coverage of consumer technology. There's more to cover. AI is playing a big part. I'm on my best behavior because the big boss is in town, Senior Executive editor Tom Giles, and we have a big team here and we are going to go deeper and broader on consumer technology, how and why.
Speaker 18: Right now is an incredibly exciting time in consumer electronics. As you mentioned, AI is changing everything. It's getting woven into every gadget we use, every robot that's infiltrating our homes and our warehouses, our cars, the list goes on and on, and it's changing things in a very dramatic way. Right now is I think the time is right to double down on our consumer electronics coverage.
Speaker 10: We've always cared about the.
Speaker 18: Business of CE. Right now it's time to do a better job of telling the world where they can find all this information.
Speaker 10: There's a section on Bloomberg Doctor.
Speaker 6: Right now, a place that we're going to show our best work.
Speaker 18: We're going to start we're going to We've been doing product reviews, but we're going to be much more systematic about it, much more consistent, much more comprehensive about it, and we're going to talk about products in the context of the business and the strategy of these corporations that are trying to make money from these gadgets that are changing the way we live and work and do our everyday lives. We're going to talk about it in an unbiased way, and we're also going to draw on this group of journalists who have so much experience in writing and thinking about consumer electronics. Everybody like vlad Savov, Mark German, Dana Wolman, who we just hired from n Gadget in the last year. Long list, Sharen Gafari, who writes about artificial intelligence. The list goes on and on, and we've got dozens of reporters around the world and they're going to be bringing you the latest consumer electron so real quick.
Speaker 5: CS is the first week of the year. It puts everyone in one place, be dating with very important people. What's it been like for you, Oh my.
Speaker 18: Gosh, yesterday a lot of conversations with Nvidia, really interesting. You talk to Jensen one on yourself. He wants to map the physical world. He's creating this new world foundational model that is going to help us understand how robots interact, how cars interact. If you want to weave AI into these physical devices, you need to understand how these objects interact in the real world. That's just the beginning of the really interesting, exciting things that we're seeing here.
Speaker 5: It's hard to find somebody more excitable than me, carrab, but I think we've done it with Bloomberg Senior Executive edits Tom Giles.
Speaker 6: Back to you.
Speaker 2: He's giving a run for your money, almost on par with the energy levels and what a joy all things CS. Thank you for today's reporting. Meanwhile, that does it for this edition of bloom Big Technology. And don't forget to check out our podcast. Find it on the terminal as well as online on Apple Spotify. And iHeart from New York from a very busy Las Vegas. This is Lumbag Technology.