Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Applecarclay, and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Tesla shares they are higher this morning. They're up about three tens of percent, but there were some news. Elon Musk said the company plans to pull Tesla's shareholders on whether to invest in his other company, that's x Ai. So here to break it all down for us is Craig Trudeli's Bloomberg Global Auto editor.
Speaker 3: Craig I have to.
Speaker 2: Ask you, you know, this is something that came out. I mean, what kind of message is this sending.
Speaker 3: It's sending that, you know, Elon's Elon's business empire is becoming all the more intertwined. So this has been, you know, sort of a case on and off for years. We can think back to say, you know, the Tesla Solar City acquisition, you know, and that's going back quite a way is but uh, you know, in this case it would be Tesla, you know, his most valuable company in investing in in sort of his up and comer and one where he's you know, spent an awful lot of time and energy focused on. Lately, as Tesla's electric vehicle sales have been slowing, he's been really sort of dead set on taking on open Open AI and and sort of standing up a competitor to chat GPT and as with all the companies in the space, spending an awful lot of money to to try and compete in that realm.
Speaker 4: So where do we stand here in terms of kind of how investors are viewing their investment in Tesla. Are they invested in a auto company or are they invested in an AI company? Or they invested just an Elon Inc? How did they think about it these days?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, I think Musk has has been trying for for several years now to to sell uh and and position Tesla as much more than just a car company, right, and uh, you know it's it's definitely in in the energy space and and uh you know has a battery business to to show for that, and in in AI. You know, he's he's talked a big game about uh, you know, developing self driving technology. He's not he's not gotten there yet. Uh as as we've seen with the company, you know, starting to offer rides in in Tesla's around Austin, Texas. Uh, they still have uh you know, Tesla employees in the front passenger seat to sort of take over in events where you know, the cars have not been able to handle uh, you know, navigating the streets on their own. And and yet with with uh SpaceX, I think interest interestingly, you know, for them to have just pumped two billion into h x AI, I think there's a little bit of fomo on the part of of some the Tesla shareholder base where they've seen you know, XAI go from you know, not all that valuable a startup to suddenly, you know, an extremely valuable startup and they feel like they've missed out on some of this appreciation and one in on that.
Speaker 2: So with all that said, Craig, I mean, does must support a merger between x AI and Tesla or maybe x a hind SpaceX you mentioned space X two.
Speaker 3: He says he does not. And and I think there's been talk about this for years, right that, you know, and on and off again there's been you know, questions as to whether or not Musk is you know, sort of stretched too thin and doing too much. Would it make more sense to turn his companies into into one and and sort of you know, sort of the think about it as sort of the general Electric of the New age, right, which is kind of fascinating because of course that didn't work out too well for ge. And and yet you know, even some of Musk's own out have sort of alluded to, you know, it's viewing him and his empire as as sort of you know, modern day general Electric. So he he did take pains to say on an x that he does not support a full blown merger of Tesla and x Ai, but he has you know, signals on there multiple times now that he would be in favor of of Tesla putting money in and you know that's that's, of course, you know, a proposition that could be helpful if Xai continues to grow its valuation. We should note, however, that our colleagues have reported just in the last month or so that x Ai has been burning through about a billion dollars a month. So this is a company that is really sort of cash hungry and needy as it's trying to stand up a business. You know, with all of this capability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Craig, it's been I don't know a month or two since Elon Musk left the US government, doje is there any evidence that he is meaningfully engaging with Tesla?
Speaker 3: You know, I think he's messaging more about, you know, sort of what Tesla's up to than he was while he was in Washington. He did also post just within the last day that you know, he was in Tesla's design studio and sort of hyped up how excited he was about what he saw. But you know, the company is is, you know, sort of in this really sort of challenging state from a sales perspective, and you've you've sort of gotten indications that, well, maybe he doesn't necessarily fully have his his finger on the pulse in the sense that he told us just within the last few months that sales have turned around. You know, a couple of months later, the company reports that its vehicle deliveries had fallen thirteen percent in the second quarter. So either he was you know, not necessarily up to speed on the state of sales, or perhaps he was optimist more optimal stick that they were able to is going to be able to turn things around. Then they ultimately were able to last quarter.
Speaker 5: Okay, Greg, thanks so much for your reporting. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Kraig Trudeau is a Global autos editor for Bloomberg News. He's based in London, joining us via zoom.
Speaker 1: Here you're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Intelligence. I'm Lisa Minteo alongside Paul Sweeney. Paul, So, summer barbecue. You think hot dogs, right, Robert? Okay, what's your favorite?
Speaker 5: What's you go to? Hot dog? Oscar myern the question, Oh yes, okay.
Speaker 2: See I'm a Brooklyn girl.
Speaker 5: I go Nathan's.
Speaker 2: But okay, that's title said. There are some big news when it comes to your barbecue. So a company may be splitting up sources in craft hends, could break itself up, spin off into this large part of the business, into this new entity.
Speaker 5: What is this all about?
Speaker 2: Let's bring it someone who knows about it. Jennifer bartash More Intelligence senior analysts Retail staples and package food Jennifer. I know it's sources are saying a lot of things. What's the latest that you're hearing about this breakup?
Speaker 6: Yeah, good morning. So this is an interesting breakup because it's ten years after they merge together, and it seems that the main portions of that initial merger are going there will go their separate ways. The way we look at it, it looks like there's a core group of what they consider their taste Elevation platform, which is what is in the seasonings Taste Elevation.
Speaker 4: Oh please, that's Gott mackenzie written all over. It has that spices and Condiments.
Speaker 6: That's Spices inc. Yeah, exactly, and then they have you know, that's kind of been their growth area for the last couple of years. So we think that that's really going to be what will be the residual part of Heinz. And then there is it's undetermined yet exactly what'll go into the rest of the business, but it'll be largely those grocery categories where they've invested a lot to try to revitalize brands and it just hasn't worked in terms of really rejuvenating sales.
Speaker 4: You know, when I think about brands in the shop, you know, going to the supermarket. Boy, those house brands private label. Talk to us about the growth of private label in general, Boy, and if you're a brand like an Oscar Meyer or something that you spent jillions of dollars over one hundred years, it seems to kind of go by the wayside almost.
Speaker 6: It's true. You've got a good point, Paul. Private label has been consistently growing and got a huge bump since the pandemic. And part of that is that they've the retailers have really invested in the quality and the the differentiation of those private label brands, so where consumers now really consider them not just a replacement for national brands, but in some instances just regular brands of their own right. And so you know, Craft Times actually had reduced some of its exposure to private label when they sold off the planter's business, when they sold off the cheese like the shredded cheese business with Craft, but the core grocery business they do still have a lot of exposure to private label.
Speaker 2: So is this a lot of competition from let's say, startup food companies appealing to younger consumers? I mean, what kind of sparked this.
Speaker 6: Well, there's really been a shift in the way consumers are looking at brands. Unless you own a long legacy brand that you can reinvent and really you know, drive interest from younger generations, it's really hard to keep that going. And so what we've seen is that they've done a good job with revitalizing things like Philly Cream cheese. But despite a lot of investment, brands like Caprice, son Oscar Meyer, Maxwellhouse, you know, these brands just aren't resonating with younger consumers, and that means that the growth prospects for those brands are a lot lower, and that makes it hard to really build yourself as a growth type oriented company.
Speaker 4: So I know, as I think back to my M and A Memory Banks ten years ago, Crafton Hines Berkshire Hathaway had a big hand in putting these two companies together, and look now they're still the largest shareholder with just under twenty eight percent of the stock. I assume Berkshire Hathaway Warren Buffet has kind of signed off on this deal or is open to it.
Speaker 6: At least I would assume that they're open to it, you know, I mean over time, you know, Berkshire Hathway has actually done quite well out of this deal, even though Kraft, heindes as an overall entity, is probably disappointed in the overall analysis. But you know, the merger was in twenty fifteen. It's been ten ten years. The value of the deal at the time in twenty fifteen was forty five billion dollars. Today's market cap it's thirty two billion dollars, so it you know, and yes they've sold off a couple of brands, but it just hasn't materialized to be the type of growth that I think Berkshire Hathway and initially envisioned it would happen.
Speaker 2: Tenfer can you dig more into some of the advantages but also the risks associated with breaking up the company.
Speaker 6: Some you know, obviously some of the advantages. And this seems very similar to what Kellogg did when they spun Kelenova and W. K. Kellogg out into two separate companies. They separated the growth prospects and then those from the slow growth areas. That's very similar to what Kraft Time seems Craft Time seems to be doing. Obviously, if you can focus on growth areas, that gives you undivided attention to really expand and grow. That would be an advantage, I think one of the disadvantages, And this is something that's kind of a broader question to consider, is you know, whether there's a cycle that's starting because we've seen companies like Kelenova split, we see Unilevers spinning off their ice cream business, and those new entities are now being bought up by others. So you've got Mars acquiring Kelenova, you have Ferrero acquiring W. K. Kellogg. But those in order to get regulatory approval, you have to have categories that aren't overlapping. And so you're you're you're seeing a new birth of new kind of conglomerates, of dissimilar portfolios. And so it makes me wonder if we're setting up another cycle where in another five years, ten years, we're going to see these companies that have been buying up the underperforming brands going through a similar type of activity.
Speaker 5: What's driving all this?
Speaker 4: It doesn't it feel like this MNA activity, whether you're buying or divesting, is out of a position of strength. It always feels like I don't know, I'm just I'm doing it because anami growth. Then I got to do something. I got pressure from shareholders to do something. So I'm either buying or selling because your business doesn't have a lot of growth.
Speaker 6: No, it's true, Paul, and I think one of the crises that we've sort of seen in packaged food at least is the North American companies is a lack of real, true innovation. So what's happened is a lot of companies have fallen into his pattern of innovation being a new flavor or a new extension, a new size of the product, and that's not really what gets consumers excited. You need to bring new and different products to market, and that's an expensive endeavor and companies have sort of shied away from that. And although they're trying to reinvigorate that innovation pipeline, we just haven't seen a lot of home runs coming out since the pandemic. And so, you know, I think when you've got that backdrop, you have to evaluate for your portfolio and say, how do we focus on the strengths that we have and can someone else do better with the categories where we're not doing as well?
Speaker 5: All right, Jen, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Jim Bartasha is seening your retail Anams Bloomborg Intelligence, or at least the key question.
Speaker 5: You know Nathan's hothawks. Are you ketchup or mustard?
Speaker 2: Oh, mustard with salacrad and red onions.
Speaker 5: Okay, solid solid.
Speaker 4: I'm a mustard person too, But if somebody put a hot dog with ketchup in front of me, I would not eat it.
Speaker 5: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I just came back from Chicago and they said, if you put ketchup on your hot dog, no, that's a big no.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: They do not do that in Chicago. Okay, good, good to know, Good to know you. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely a mustard person. But again, you throw a hot dog in front of me with ketchup.
Speaker 5: Off, probably eat it as well.
Speaker 1: Listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Applecarclay, and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Bloomberg Intelligence. I'm Lisa Matteo alongside Paul Sweeney, Weight.
Speaker 5: Loss, drugs, right, all the rage. I always want to know what.
Speaker 2: Is the latest with it? So here with that and much more is Sam Fazelli, Bloomberg Intelligence, Director of Research for Global Industries and Senior Pharmaceuticals. Sam, thank you for joining us this morning. Just want to ask what is the latest because we hear so much about weight loss drugs and different companies. What's the latest you can here you've been hearing so far?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hi, Lisa.
Speaker 7: So in terms of what's happening in the market, we're still waiting to see whether the prescription counts for Novo Nordisks US WeGo V numbers are up or not. They've been flat for pretty much most of this year in terms of the number of scripts that doctors are writing for their we go V. And the opposite is the case for is Lily zeppound continues to keep going up and it's a it's a pretty interesting battle which seems to be currently being won by Lily, and time will tell. What is interesting is that my colleague A. Girzbacker just finished a deep patent analysis for so Astria exactly Paul for we go V, and I mean the dates in terms of pattern experience. Of course, they're important because that's when generics can come in and compete with you. Here we go from possibly she says twenty thirty one, twenty thirty two in the US at least to twenty forty. I mean, look, that's an amazing outcome, and she puts a decent probability on it in terms of the ways that they could protect it. So that could mean a lot for a product that could be sending five or ten billion dollars a year.
Speaker 5: Right, all right, we got to go to the elephant in the room here.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jesus for our listeners on radio, Sam is in some kind of contraption like he I'm guessing he fell off a barstool and hurt his armor's shoulder.
Speaker 5: Here, what happens, Sammy.
Speaker 7: It's that cheap drink you guys selling the US. You know, it just doesn't work for me. What I need is are is classified growth, red wines and white wires, right.
Speaker 5: Pole, So what I mean, I'm assuming there's something going on there.
Speaker 7: So all right, so rotate tickoff surgery. It's a ard.
Speaker 5: He's not an athlete.
Speaker 4: Bottle He stopping a bottle of bordeaux, threw out his shoulder opening a bottle bordeaux. So talk to us about what's what's the latest on the cancer field?
Speaker 5: Sam I know you got a lot of conferences in here on top of the latest research.
Speaker 4: What should we as consumers and maybe even investors in healthcare stocks and biotext what should we be thinking about as the next frontier on the cancer front.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, we have a bunch of conference's coming up very soon, so the Myloma Conference in International Maloma Society in September, the World Lung Cancer Congress, then there's the big European Society for Medical Oncology conference in October. During these we're going to hear about whether there's going to be big step changes again in the treatment of some diseases, particularly lung cancer. So we got some therapeutics with possibly some data coming up, maybe a door world lung cancer. We'll see the aura Desmo. And we've just done a survey of US physicians which came back with very interesting comments, which are going to write about tomorrow about some other trials that are ongoing. So we'll say I can't front run that the data will be published tomorrow on the terminal. But there's stuff still happening in cancer where we're seeing potential for paradigm shift, and that's some of the things that we'll be referring to tomorrow. Of course, in the middle of all this, we have farmer companies continue looking for products to expand their pipelines through M and A.
Speaker 2: Now, Sam, we've been talking a lot about tariffs lately. How is a biotech sector, even pharmaceuticals, if you can dig more into how they're being affected by tariffs.
Speaker 7: Yes, so that that's one area if you look at the performance of the farmer stocks relative to the rest of the market, I mean Max seven. I mean, I don't know where they're going, but Paul I'm sure knows more because of the background he has in analyzing tech. But they just keep going up. I mean, there's no there's no nowhere else for them to go if you put them aside. Okay, there s a B five hundred. Maybe hasn't been as magical as the when it includes the Max seven, but pharma has been a little even less, a bit more lackluster, partly because of this continuing conversation about tariffs. That two hundred percent is something that President Trump mentioned just very recently, although it's delayed till next year. You've got your most favored nation pricing that's coming up. You've got your possibility that the regulators are going to be We don't know where the regulators going in the minute, to be honest with you, positive, negative, favorable, not favorable for the evolution of regulatory framework in the US. So there's a lot of questions. And I know this is four's favorite word, uncertainty that still dogs at the pharma sector.
Speaker 5: Yep, that's certainly the case.
Speaker 4: So maybe you know, August one might be a date we get some more clarity there. Sam Fazelli, director of research for Global Industries and his senior pharmaceutical analysts for Bloomberg Intelligence. He's covalescing there in London and our London students, but he makes it into the studio folks, even with one arm in a sling. So we appreciate that playing herd out there for us.
Speaker 5: That's what happens when you get old, Lisa. You know, things happen. They just kind of go out and we can see you in a sleep.
Speaker 4: I hope, I hope, not exactly so, Sam Fazzelli. There so, and Emina, you mentioned M and A. I'm just so far in the first quarter. This is according to Sam's notes, so far in the first half thirty two billion of M and A in farmer thirteen deals.
Speaker 5: Last year it was.
Speaker 4: Sixteen billion for six sixteen deals, so dollar amounts certainly bigger this year.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal