Speaker 1: They Around the NFL podcast take their job seriously, but don't take themselves too seriously.
Speaker 2: That's the key. That's the key, so true.
Speaker 1: From the Chris Westley podcast studio What's around the NFL Dan hands us here got the heroes, Greg Rosehal and Mark Sessler and it is officially a new year, same old show. Nothing's changed, for better or worse. This is the show. This is what we do, and we're gonna give you what you expect.
Speaker 3: This is the show right here. It's not about the football. It's just the guy's chopping it up.
Speaker 4: If you were hoping for changes, we made none, and there probably are a fair amount.
Speaker 1: Now if you want, if you want listeners, and please let us know, be whatever channels you can for us to pull like a radiohead and completely reinvent our sound in our second decade.
Speaker 2: We can try it. I just imagine it would. Maybe not. It's it's more likely that we do not produce you.
Speaker 1: Know, okay, computer, Yeah, it's more likely kid a doesn't it. Well, you're more likely to get amnesiac than kidd a, so be careful what you what you wish for.
Speaker 2: Not that there's anything wrong with amnesiac, but you know, I.
Speaker 4: Think we're being transparent, like our creative well spring is challenged.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know who else is being challenged right now?
Speaker 1: Eagles fans speak of happy birthday to Colleen Wolf. This would be the show she's typically on, but you know, we got to give Connie a little her space.
Speaker 2: Let Connie be Connie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you say, we say Summer of Connie, but it's really Connie's whole life is kind of a reality show that just doesn't have cameras around except for when she's connected to the NFL. So Connie's doing something for her birthday, so we just want to wish she's traveling.
Speaker 4: I thought she was like on a on an island or a fort place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna let Colleen be wherever she is and we wish you a happy birthday, Colleen. You're a great person and a great Eagles fan. So Connie, like so many other Eagles fans, absolutely a shot to the gut on New Year's Eve when you lose at home to the Cardinals and their whole season is now kind of upside down, and that means there's only one thing to do, Like how bad does this get? And that's why we're bringing back potentially the greatest segment we have. It's undefeated, certainly the one that has the most kind of respect inside and outside the industry.
Speaker 2: Flashpoint focus. Happy New Year to Sydney Carlson if she celebrates.
Speaker 3: Somebody say that is this too late for a flashpoint for the Eagles? They've been heading on a downward well that on tex Yes, well that was the sun. I suggested this one, trying to get the upgrade co producer credit, suggesting the second you know, this is two in a row, this could this change even more or that you know, could change in a in a way that the whole organization is different in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: He's so strange in some way. Some ways, Greg's a very strange man. He he wants, he so badly wants to be part of the brain trust on this project that he's thrown in that line that I've thought of the last two like that.
Speaker 3: Trying to be part of it.
Speaker 2: It's just like we.
Speaker 1: Are being nice to let let you feel involved on this because what Mark's instinct was was absolutely correct. If we did this after the Nick Sirianni is shouting at the Chiefs fan game, then it's a true flashpoint focus. So we're just kind of throwing you a little New Year's bone.
Speaker 3: Or that's the basic way to look at it, and we could see one of the most successful organizations in the entire NFL completely different in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: So and again, but it's still ahead.
Speaker 3: It's don't know, we're talking about the future of Syria.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Greg understands it, though. Mark the basic way, why why the Daggers?
Speaker 2: Always why?
Speaker 3: Good guy?
Speaker 2: That's the Greg experience, I believe, because.
Speaker 1: There is a way you're right, and the reason why it ends up getting greenlit and pushed through legislation is that if this is the beginning of something horrific within the you know, within Eagles Nation context.
Speaker 4: But there's a fair amount of pressure on Greg Ford, like disaster to strike the Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Which is gotta I'm not looking for it. Think about that. I like this team because he loves the Eagles. He's got a buddy that works at.
Speaker 2: The team you do.
Speaker 4: He constantly he does Super Bowl dinners.
Speaker 1: Oh where's where's Greg? Oh he's with his Eagles buddy. So now, in a way, you're celebrating their dysfunction.
Speaker 3: I just say he works for They're in a fascinating place right now. And now let's bring it back to business. And I'm just a showman. You guys asked for a showmanship stirred up the pot, Well we haven't with my executive producers and with the show.
Speaker 2: Well you're doing great, you're doing great. What did we decide? He's the gaffer?
Speaker 4: I don need a gaffers, you know, belongs to a union and his actual skills gaffing.
Speaker 2: So I'm not all right.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the rest of run out of time before bow gets in here. We got a big guest.
Speaker 1: See now he's trying to run the show. Just take it easy, Greg, We're proud of you. It's gonna be a great segment today. We got a lot coming on. Here's what else is going on. We're entering week eighteen and it's not exactly a hot butt checking in the sense of like the preseason or even mid season.
Speaker 2: But let's just see who's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Where we're at, it's where they are and it could be coaches, GMS, coordinators, quarterbacks. Who has kind of the most at stake in these last the last dying breasts of the regular season. But first, as we always do, let's get caught up on the news.
Speaker 5: I've got controlled fury and I'm ready to go. I am, I'm absolutely ready to go. I don't go the other way. So and the team won't either. We're on a mission and we're not going to We're gonna feel sorry for ourselves and Walder and everything. We had plays to make, we didn't make them. And it's a tight game, a good opponent, playoff type atmosphere, and you got to make that that one extra play that we didn't and uh so we will use this as fuel. I got pure octane right now.
Speaker 2: I woke up.
Speaker 5: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I you know what, like the last I think it was Dave Cohen's is the last NBA player, coach, you can't tell me Campbell want to be somewhat efficient as a player with the intensity has He's obviously in great physical condition. I believe our lines defense that could probably need a couple more guys to get him over the hump and to hoist the trophy, get Campbell on the field for.
Speaker 2: The rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Problem with that, Dave Collen's great, great guy. The the hard knock stuff where Campbell couldn't he not move for two straight days because he was like bent over funny or something?
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting olds a bitch, But I just think, I mean he's awfully let's get to yes, he was initially is his head coaching journey. Dan Campbell began with the Dolphins when he replaced Joe Filban and the Dolphins, man, what a setback, and their head coach Mike McDaniel deserves a lot of scrutiny because Bradley Chubb, who is a huge difference maker on their defense, who is just kind of hitting the stride as the player who they thought they were getting in that big trade with Denver, He's done for the year because he tears his ACL late and the blowout loss to the Ravens, So you were going to now have to go the rest of the way without Chubb. They also are not going to have xaviing Howard on the field for this AFC East Championship game against the Bills. So this is obviously a big setback for this team. Greg What does Chubb do? What does he mean to their defense? How do they overcome his loss?
Speaker 3: He's their best ed rusher, He's having the best season I think of his career even better than any season he had in Denver. Maybe there was one early one, but the way he was coming on and essentially making you feel like, Okay, we lost Jalen Phillips, the top ten to twelve bed drusher in the league, but we still got a good enough group with the two defensive tackles and Chubb. And now Chubb's gone too, And uh, McDaniel, who's so forward thinking, so many things frustrated me with with the way he was playing his starters here, Like that's the number one thing when I when I run my team, the two things on my platform gonna be why are we Why are we going? No down this fiction, no road where you're now no time out? Well, no, this is more it's it's the front office. It's okay, it's I'm telling that the coaches will do no timeouts allowed. Just take in the for a delay, to avoid a delay a game, Just take the five yards, no timeouts, and uh, starters are not playing when you're down three scores or up three scores period in the final time.
Speaker 4: I mean, because it's like Mike, Mike McDaniel has been beyond critique because of all the positives. But Brandon Stalely a year ago, Mike Williams is in a game late and and they lose them for the playoffs, and and that was a huge we without Mike Williams, Like that's Chargers offense.
Speaker 1: Imagine the same thing. Like imagine Mike McCarthy's this with makeup parks. Absolutely people would be over the moon, maybe apoplectic about it, but you know.
Speaker 2: I'd you're doing it.
Speaker 1: Banked a lot of but he's banked a lot of good will for and for a good reason.
Speaker 2: But this is inexcusable that he was ever on the field.
Speaker 4: Mike McDaniel did acknowledge, like in so many words in the press conference, like yeah, it doesn't look good, like you know, I don't know if you're the head coach sometimes like you can't take everyone out.
Speaker 3: The thing is every coach does this. It's it's very rare that this is a group think for all the coaches that I really think they get wrong in it. You really hurt for Chubb, whose career completely changed when he tore his ACL the first time, and it took him a long time to get back to where he was. I took really feel like it took him like three years and he got there and now this happened.
Speaker 1: But and you're right, Mark, you can't take everybody out, but you kind of can. But you got to take the stars out.
Speaker 4: You got the guys that are the You know, this stands out as like the true difference maker. And you know with the matchup coming up against Buffalo two has got a banged up shoulder. You don't have Howard. I mean, this could make a huge difference at the most critical time.
Speaker 1: Where does the where's the Vegas ad on that game? Because I part of me thinks Miami is going to be Are they at home?
Speaker 2: First of all? Where's that they are?
Speaker 3: I believe the Bills are favored by Miami.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was going to say it sound felt like that it would be in that zone. I like Miami's chances, but this is you cannot overlook how important Chubb is to their past rush and we'll see if they're able to overcome it. In other news, Mason Rudolph is going to continue as the starter of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: Rudolph, who has.
Speaker 1: You know, been with the team for years and it kind of drifted into the deep background, but due to injuries and effectiveness with Kenny Pickett and then Mitch Trubisky. He got his chance and they're playing well, winning the last two weeks, so Tomlin says he will remain the start, even with Kenny Pickett a bit available to play the former first round pick. So it's this is Rudolph's the biggest moment of his career coming up in Week eighteen against the Ravens.
Speaker 4: I mean, the Steelers offense was unwatchable wire to wire, even taking after taking Matt Cannaona out outside of one game, and incomes Rudolph throwing for two hundred and seventy four on Seattle two ninety against the Bengals, and I think it matters eleven yards forer attempt last. He's incredible, and he doesn't look like he looks at a completely different version of the player that we used to know. And George Pickens in two weeks has eleven catches, three hundred and twenty six yards and two touchdowns, and it matters how it's happening there. They have an explosive element of their passing game which was missing all year. Joe Blacko already has more touchdowns than Kenny picketted. Pickett like refused to throw touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Eleven yards per attempt, only one turnover.
Speaker 2: Try, but I think he finally refused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, intellectually feels it feels worth at least just noting because Kenny Pickett's being benched here very clearly, and he lost the job due to an injury, which is unfortunate, but he is being bench which is a big moment. I think when you're a quote unquote franchise quarterback, I think it raises absolutely fair questions about whether he's the quarterback. They're moving forward.
Speaker 1: You kind of get two years, and by the end of that second year, if it's not clicking, you are vulnerable, and pick It certainly is. It'll be interesting to see, no matter how this season ends, where they go because I don't think they see Mason Rudolph as the future. They like him obviously to have him around this song, but Pickett, you know, they just have not been able to get it going with him. Let's talk about ooh, big app for rest Stop wants to hit a little rest stop.
Speaker 2: You know, Restop has their layers.
Speaker 1: You can there could be too much rest, not enough rest, and then just the idea of guys not playing, which they call rest.
Speaker 4: And now he's taken over flashpoint like it's the pal The need for the external power is impressive.
Speaker 3: Well, you created this one.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I'm not m I'm just going down.
Speaker 3: I have no producer credit on this, just talent.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say you, definitely you. You were the motivation for this segment. And Christian McCaffrey out week eighteen for the Niners, they've already clinched everything. He was banged up last week. But I don't and it's serious. We'll find out down the road.
Speaker 2: Lamar Jackson unlikely to play as well for the Ravens.
Speaker 1: We'll see what else they choose to do. Baltimore's also clinched everything. We're gonna get to the Eagles in a second. But Nick Sirianni said he may sit his starters, which.
Speaker 3: Interesting because they have a chance to Yeah, what is you know?
Speaker 4: That kind of threw me.
Speaker 1: Is there a time element to that? No, everybody's playing pretty much at the same time, right.
Speaker 4: I mean they would need like that. I think your factor in like Saane the command.
Speaker 2: Let's save that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a a major factor.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we mentioned Dan Campbell of course, Dan Campbell will play starters. You don't care.
Speaker 1: Campbell just wants to win ball games every single week. Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: Man, Now, sometimes they say that early in the week and then you get to the end of the week and you hear, Okay, it's a plan. We're gonna play Jared Goffer two drives. Maybe not. I believe Vegas thinks they're playing. This is always a very strange Vegas week. I put the words in that Lamar is probably not playing, just based on the tone of what John Harbas said, but he didn't actually say anything. And that really will help the Steelers. Those Darren Steelers, they're gonna sneak in somehow, I mean not even somehow. They just need they just need out of credit, need the Dolphins to win, and they need to beat the backup Ravens, which isn't a guarantee. Sometimes those backups go ahead and win the game. There It's happened before to the Steelers. In fact, there's this like the.
Speaker 4: Debate around the resting thing too with the with the Ravens specifically, is like they've done this before and it ended up poorly in the playoffs. And I remember, like those old Peyton Manning teams that one time they sat everyone and lost like the final Sunday night game to the Titans or something like that. It prevented the Browns team that had won ten games from going to the playoffs, and so I always sort of hated that move. And I think there was the year that the Bengals sat everyone against the Jets. The Jets got into the playoffs, played them the next week and thumped them. So it's like this stuff does matter, but I don't know if it matters with this rat It's not specifically more attuned to this Ravens team.
Speaker 3: And the one Colts team with Manning that finally got through is not a great Colts team. They had to play wild card weekend. They were a top two seed.
Speaker 1: And finally in the news, the Jets wave Dalvin Cook, the running back who signed for a fair amount of money right before the start of the season from the Vikings. He was seen as another piece of a potential championship run for my team.
Speaker 2: Not the case. He gone, He.
Speaker 1: Asked out, and the Jets said, all right, necessarily, if you can, if you can, if you can find someone that wants to pick you up and maybe go for a playoff run. Tom Pelserro reported this and added, the dynamic playmaker has quote fresh legs after minimal usage in New York and can now compete.
Speaker 2: Is that a report? Do we know that the dynamic playmaker has fresh legs? That?
Speaker 1: I feel like that's refutable, But it did come from an insider, So.
Speaker 2: Take that as fallible and fallible.
Speaker 3: I believe he has the most carries and it's not that many this year. What does he got sixty seven of any running back that has not broken a fifteen yard gain? Yeah, so just that would refute it somewhat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that.
Speaker 4: That someone's going to need like a running back to be kidnapped by a van.
Speaker 3: It could go. Actually this he's not a crazy pickup for the Cowboys at all. I think one of the reasons they don't are you guys.
Speaker 2: You guys know how it goes with my team.
Speaker 1: He's going to get picked up by someone and he is going to be a major factor in the playoffs and we're all going to have a great old laugh about it all across the.
Speaker 4: They got on the money part of a big that is good for the Jets, a.
Speaker 2: Good old laugh.
Speaker 1: Everyone's going to have when Dalvin Cook rushes for one hundred and sixty eight yards and three touchdowns for some team, and Jack.
Speaker 3: I think, I don't think you're getting those laughs. You're getting the laughs from the Cook. I thought that was a good move, and with three weeks I no longer thought it was a good move.
Speaker 1: He was not moving very well. There's no doubt about it. All right, that's what's happening in news. Mark, Come on now, I know you root for a successful team now, but this is how it goes This is how it goes it.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know if everyone hates your team at that much.
Speaker 2: I don't want to laugh.
Speaker 1: About hating the team. But just the Jets are fun to laugh at. I can concede that. And that's this is.
Speaker 4: Right, And I would say this is less This is less gag worthy than some of the stuff that's occurred to them this season.
Speaker 1: By the way, Greg, I was during our rest stop app, which was a good app.
Speaker 2: I thought, good app of restop.
Speaker 1: I like to tag the rest stop with yeah, when we get off the rest stop and get back on the high.
Speaker 4: Stuff that I contributed to it as well to staring I I appreciate it. Well, what happens? What happens when I do that?
Speaker 3: You get a little royalty check?
Speaker 1: Is the rest stop drop on? Like page nine? I always feel like we're waiting for the rest stop for.
Speaker 2: A little, a little too long. There it is.
Speaker 3: That Finn's producers. It's one of the ones where it's it's not there's a point I can't fit it in. I don't want to jump on you guys, and you know I don't.
Speaker 1: Drop it in there, okay, because the rest stop needs it's mechanics.
Speaker 4: I think one of these shows one of us should like sit there on the soundboard, and.
Speaker 2: That's coming this off season. Rick and I are switching.
Speaker 4: Sounds like an absolute night bear.
Speaker 1: I've done it before. We've done that before. I've been behind the glass once before. Well do you not recall that?
Speaker 4: I don't recall our show from Sunday night, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, I've been thinking about it, Greg, and you're right. You have been putting in the work on Flashpoint Focus and it's your You're due for promotion. And I'm looking I looked up on Wikipedia Television crew and I think, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Mark, Coordinating Producer.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, that sounds like broad You could sell that to your friends.
Speaker 2: That's good when when any way you want when.
Speaker 3: You get the CP title here, that's a nice promotion for a lot of great, young, hardworking producers at the NFL.
Speaker 2: So that's a nice you think or line, producer, what do you think that was good? I'll let you decide.
Speaker 1: I'll think about that. Okay, get back to us at the end of the year. I don't like Greg's tone in general.
Speaker 2: In general.
Speaker 4: I feel that too around this whole Yeah, that's kind of what I'm inclined to go to start them lower, just to get, you know, really get that experience from the should we the floor?
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: So maybe we should bust them down to supervising producer.
Speaker 2: That sounds more.
Speaker 3: My one IMDb credit right now calls me additional crew.
Speaker 2: On the and that feels good.
Speaker 3: I had a Bravo non hit significant others.
Speaker 1: Let's start there. I love that crew. All right, we're gonna bust you down to additional crew. But it's also a jump up from assistant to the gaffers. So we tell them you're an ac let ayc All right, let's by the way before we get to our buddy bo wolf Uh covering the Eagles and doing a great job at all Philly dot Com. Let's do a little hot butt check in entering week eighteen. Where do we want to start. We'll start with the coaches. I just want to just to kind of get this where it needs to be. There's only one absolute Connor right, it's Ron right, like he's the one that is either it happens right after the games on Sunday, or it's the first name you hear on Black Monday, like he's the only one left. Because we've lost a few coaches already. You can over on three gone. That would be Reich, that would be.
Speaker 2: Brint and Stalely Staley, and that would be Josh McDaniel.
Speaker 1: So those guys who felt like Black Monday gunners were already kicked to the curb. And I think Rivera is the last one standing that you know has got Is there anyone else starting with the coaches here that you guys are pretty confident are gone or things calmed down a little bit where there's no one else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was writing these down and thinking the over unders now maybe six and a half, which is normal, Maybe even lower than average, So we're only to four there with Rivera. Belichick to me, feels all but certain. I would be very surprise. I know there's been some talk in recent weeks of what he would accept bill in terms of restructure and who's picking the players. I just don't see it. I just think it's been going this way the whole time, and I do think he's close to a definite.
Speaker 4: That decision. Feels like we'll learn that it was. There's been reporting to suggest like this was already gonna happen. They knew, So I'm with you on that. You know, there was some positive stuff around Arthur Smith, but if they were to flatline this week too, like you were saying on Sunday night, maybe the owner makes a change there because what is the vision.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a coach off right there, Dennis Allen versus Arthur Smith.
Speaker 2: I was thinking.
Speaker 1: We said at mid season, when we did a hot butt check in our first one of the year, that the entire NFC South fell up for grabs and then Wright goes, So there's one gone. I think Bowles is safe just because they have had really sustained levels of success this year.
Speaker 3: This lis is to the Panthers.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean, So I wouldn't say he's in the clear.
Speaker 1: I think Bowles is certainly on the bubble entering week eighteen. Arthur Smith and Dennis Allen, if they're not, they should Dan Steve Wisher, you know, used to work with the Falcons, like he's plugged in. He was very confident a few weeks back that Smith was staying.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if.
Speaker 1: Something has changed with Arthur Blank, the owner, since the we did get that NPR reporting on Blank. If you recall a couple weeks.
Speaker 4: Which I thought was strong, very strong, I mean directly from the owner journalist.
Speaker 3: I called it, well, they lost by twenty Old.
Speaker 2: Fox gentlemen, just getting the info.
Speaker 3: They lost by twenty to that. Since then they've lost by twenty to the Bears, and I'm not I can't remember if he was on the show before or after they lost to the Panthers. But then losing if it's let's say, a bad loss to the Saints. Here, you're seven and ten. You're not improving your win loss in your three seasons. Your third season is supposed to be when the Vision comes to the war. Here is their rank in overall efficiency. According to the EUA, it's gonna be gross first year, his first year thirtieth. Okay, he took over a tough situation. Second year nineteenth, nice improvement, third year twenty eighth. You're the fifth worst team in the NFL right now and in your third year.
Speaker 4: And packed into that was this idea that you were going to develop Desmond Ridder and you know a lot of suspicion around that to begin with, but you're an offensive coach. That didn't happen. And I would argue these days, like with Mike McDaniel, with Sean McVay, like it isn't three year rebuilding plans. It happens quick with some teams. It just happens. And I mean, I thought we were more on the Arthur Smith thing than made sense looking back now, but it seemed like they were gonna flip the switch and you get Bjean Robinson and like they're unwatchable.
Speaker 3: To me, they're worse than their record indicates. They could be very easily be a five or a four win team right with a harder schedule, Which.
Speaker 2: Are the Smiths like, well that we're not because the coaching.
Speaker 3: Or because you had the easiest schedule ever, But losing to the Saint on the flip side, like I know, Dennis sounds supposed to be safe. Now they're coming off a big game, But if it does flips and you get swept by the Falcons, your biggest rivalry, your rival and your home and the booing, I don't know, it.
Speaker 1: Might seem strange, so to base to base one Sunday on such a huge personnel and team decision. But with these guys, I think they're right on the bleeding edge. By the way, NPR PBS coverage a joint coverage of NFL personnel movement.
Speaker 2: You know what, I would call it, no frills, hard hitting journalists.
Speaker 4: Well that's what it is. So it's that's yeah, and you know we always respect that.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm gonna put a name out there, Well, Mike Rabel's floating. We could talk about him, but I really think it's and this one feels more silly. And I was on this last week Antonio Pierce. I think with the Raiders and with the that particular owner, I almost feel like that's gonna decide who do they have in Week eighteen?
Speaker 3: The Raiders, they have the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the home against the Broncos in a game that means nothing in terms of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I kind of get the feeling Mark Davis.
Speaker 1: Is gonna make his decision at head coach based on the like the result of that game.
Speaker 4: I think so too, And I think like there's an argument for Antonio Pierce compared to what they were before him. But I think a lot of it is like the literal owners said, like I kind of I should have hired Basaccia after what he did, So it also doesn't mean you should. They're not all equal, and like Mark Davis has done a lot of things that would make you shake.
Speaker 3: You here, he's four and four. This would put him at five and four. They've been good at home where they really have a nice a nice crowd, there, a nice rate rate players love. Yeah. I think you're right, Dan that this could emotionally, we just have seen it so many times. So he's someone I think that could come or go depending on this game.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Moving to quarterbacks, I think, uh, oh, I have I have one ahead. Well, we can talk Siriani with yes, but but that was part of the reason I had.
Speaker 2: I got a triple question.
Speaker 3: Mark where they question Okay, like Fluce, you know, ebra flus feels safe. You know they're playing the Packers in all these games, like if you got blown out, it's like, okay, if you got blown out at the end of your season, that this Kuldiberflusco. And then I think the name I haven't seen out there a lot is is Pete Carroll. They have one of the worst defenses in the league they've had They've a bottom five defense. Uh, he's a defensive coach. They've had a below average defense for seven straight years. If they lost back to back games to the Steelers and the Cardinals to lose the season and you're just stuck in the middle again, it's very confusing what the ownership situation is there. When things were getting a little thorty four weeks ago, there were some whispers about Schneider and Carrol maybe not on the same page and like some pointing fingers. So they I just don't lose to the Cardinals. I feel like they could very well lose to the Cardinals. If you lose to the Cardinals, I think maybe anything is on the table.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, but again, that's why I don't some of this is hard for me to wrap my head around that.
Speaker 6: I'm so.
Speaker 1: Ago, and I think Pete he's still got the he has a track record, he's still youthful, at least in spirit and in body. And I think that, uh, if you've give him better players on defense and maybe.
Speaker 3: And they've spent so many.
Speaker 1: Schneider, don't fire Carol because I think he's a good head coach. Give him better players, and maybe maybe we're going to.
Speaker 4: Hire someone better too, like it depends to because development.
Speaker 3: I hear all that, but I just think when you're a defensive coach and you just don't have answers and there's two guys in your divisions who hand it to you four times a year, and you're kind of using stale thinking because you can say, get better players. Who is the draft picks, free agency? They've spent a lot on that defense to be really bad, that's all right.
Speaker 2: How about a defensive coordinator that you let him call the.
Speaker 3: Play rotating through like yeah, they have been, they've all rotating through. They've fired three or four because their defense have been bad different locations. I think it's it's one to throw out there.
Speaker 4: What if if the Bills got blown out by Miami and then there's a bunch of negative energy and stuff happened. Sean McDermott one safe, I don't think so. I think Sean McDermott is someone I'm just saying, like if like all these teams were talking about and we'll get it into the Eagles. A month ago, everything with the Eagles was looking wonderful and and Nick Sirianni was this guy that everyone from Philly responds to, X, Y and Z, and like McDermott had that one little incident, like he's been great overall, but it's almost like that doesn't matter. These things always sort of end badly.
Speaker 1: They just want their tenth game. I would say he's ninety eight percent safe.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's super surprise to me if it would happen, but like I feel like we get one of these surprises.
Speaker 2: It also just that's.
Speaker 3: Why I want to Like Carol, I was trying to think of who would be a surprise, and he would make sense to me if again, if they lose, and I kind of think they're gonna lose. Wink Martindale. By the way, just as a coordinator, I do feel like this will be his final game after that Glazier report and pretty lackluster performed.
Speaker 1: And yeah, Joe Barry is probably finally coaching his final games with the Packers, but we'll see how the end of their season goes. Yeah, I'll throw a quarterback out there justin Fields like how the year ends for Fields. I think he's already put enough on tape in the back end of the season in my opinion that they should keep riding with him. But with the fans calling for him to stay and with player the locker room backing, they want Fields back if he has a big game to close the season, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like I feel like the Bear's gonna have a hard time going in a different direction.
Speaker 4: I think they're having a hard time because there's the fan base would be split on that. But if the entire football community like falls head over heels about one of the rookie quarterbacks, which happens if they will Yeah, So it's more like you're just wayhing a ver sp So.
Speaker 3: That's you know, Kate, Caleb Williams and maybe Drake may are gonna be viewed as as the best quarterbacks to come out Sint Lawrence maybe like three, you know, two or three years. That level to pass on him for Fields, But I'm with you that this week it's so fascinating. They are really and we'll talk about it Thursday, but they're really set up the exact same way the Lions were a week ago heading into week seventeen, where they've had a ton of momentum. In this case, it's a defensive coach whose defense is playing well and the offense is also playing better. And if they beat the Packers to knock the Packers out of the playoffs in the final week, I agree, it's I think it's gonna be difficult, very hard for them jump off that that feeling, and I think.
Speaker 2: It would be.
Speaker 1: It would be an incredible situation for the Bears to be in because even if you don't think Fields is the messiah that like when he was drafted and they were all getting excited about it, and rightfully so, if he's just merely good, you have this incredible leverage of having the number one overall pick, after having the bounty that you picked up from the Panthers last you can do it again with another team desperate for that number one pick, and you could really.
Speaker 3: Right and you building free and like take one of the receivers and get a bunch of.
Speaker 1: If they play this right, if they decide they like Fields and then play it right with in terms of the trading of the picks and who they take, they are a potential juggernaut.
Speaker 2: They're not far away from that happening.
Speaker 4: One of the greatest like oral history like long forms I read, was when Cleveland talked themselves into not drafting Big Ben because they were obsessed with the fact that they had signed Jeff Garcia and free agency.
Speaker 2: So it's like the other side of it is.
Speaker 4: That Fields just stays him and then the GM us to sit there and be like, it's my name. If we don't go get like the clear cut number one first overall pick just because we can add assets around justin Fields.
Speaker 2: That has to work.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a fascinating philosophia that has to work either way.
Speaker 2: It has to work, right, Yeah, but I know what you're saying.
Speaker 3: It's a fascinating philosophical discussion, which we'll be having for months, I guess. But it's like a cost controlled quarterback and field. So you kind of know, now he's going into year four and five, you could pick up the option and it's still pretty low money, and let's realistically put him somewhere if we're even being a little generous in the Kirk Cousins Ryan Tannehill not style wise, but maybe you're not a top ten quarterback for most of your career, but you're sort of on the edge of it and you're better than average. Like let's I kind of think that's where fields is and where's.
Speaker 1: But he also has the skills he has could get better, Josh Allent skill set, right.
Speaker 3: He could get better. I just mean like the level, like if you're quarterback ten to twelve or would you rather have the number one overall quarterback in that contract and everything?
Speaker 1: And I think it matters that he They said, we're gonna go get you a big time wide receiver, and then DJ Moore came here and was absolutely as advertised and it has been a big time star for them. So he's shown give me guys and I'm gonna I'm gonna produce.
Speaker 4: Jaymore was like, why are we talking about getting a different quarterback?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And then we're gonna put Dj across from Marvin Harrison's son and we are cook it.
Speaker 2: That's it. I'll stop.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of Bears fins are on that page though, doesn't mean it's the right one though.
Speaker 2: Fans like mistakes all the time in judgment, No they don't. Yeah, you're right, we'll just skipped guys at the bar, all right. Any other player, by the way.
Speaker 4: Well, the only yeah this is this is a mid level quarterback who's like a fringe starter. But like a week ago, like the Baker Mayfield thing was working in Tampa, a team that doesn't they're not in position go get a number one overall pick, and there was like there was reporting around the fact that there was mutual interest on both sides, coming from an age and coming from someone of the team.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 4: But like after last week talking about like two weeks could change things, totally flat lining against the Saints and then if they were ever to lose to the Panthers, it's like, yeah, we're looking for a new quarterback and a new a lot of things at that point.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Maybe a new head coach, maybe a new GM, maybe a new quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's Mark.
Speaker 1: I know you're under the weather, but I'm glad you brought that up, because they are a team in flux.
Speaker 3: It is crazy against a Panthers. I mean it shouldn't matter, but I think you're absolutely right. And then if he plays pretty well, you know that you make the playoffs. You maybe play well in the playoffs for a game. Heck, they may. They may play too because they're playing the Eagles. I'm gonna throw a random name here. How about a Rams defensive tackle Kobe Turner. Oh, who's Kobe Turner. He's someone that's not even listed Randel. It's one of the top six possible players for Defensive Rookie of the Year. This man has nine sacks.
Speaker 4: It half in the last time.
Speaker 3: The pressures he has I was looking him versus Carter. He has more pressures than Jalen Carter. I think defensive Rookie of the Year should be much more wide open than it is in Vegas, where it's Carter has a pretty decent sized favorite. And then Weatherspoon is in there for the Seahawks. Turner is there at the PFF grade, the the pressures, everything lines up. He needs that I think gets some media momentum and maybe you have another sack or two.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But man, like a defensive interior guy getting ten or eleven sacks that that would be nice going draftok of the Year.
Speaker 4: Eighty ninth overall, I mean you want less their draft class.
Speaker 2: Good job, man, he's had a year and Seany McVay. They are building that thing on the fly, all right. Any others that's.
Speaker 3: It, they're not gonna play. I would say you, Kobe, be nice for Kate Garrett, Kobe Turnan.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the value that you bring Greg so much value. But the drop of Kobe Turner's like, yeah, we talked about the quarterbacks, but there's all so a nose tackle no one's.
Speaker 2: Paying attention to then eighteen Yeah, it's like all on the line. What is he? Where's he at?
Speaker 3: Defensive tackle? I guess the kind of like one moving around a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, But yeah, why do you have to correct me? Just let that one go.
Speaker 1: Nobody would have known, maybe like bo Wolf would have known, like ninety nine point what eight percent of people would have been like, oh, nose tackle.
Speaker 2: That's right. Well, now you've made a fool of me on the show. Thank you.
Speaker 4: We're not going to be able to come back from that easily.
Speaker 2: What we're going to bust them down for that? You're an intern again. I'm sorry. We got to take it. No, No, no additional crew.
Speaker 1: What did we decide additional crew in ac additional cur That's that's what they give me for like driving the direct your executive producer to target for to pick up things. No, you're way more valuable than that flash point focus and we're going to get to it.
Speaker 2: Count up after the.
Speaker 6: Break path might be harder, but shoot, you know, like I said, our goals are ahead of us. We got to get fixed, and we got to get him fixed fast. We're not where we want to be right yet as far as you know how we're playing right now, but and how we're coaching right now. But we got time to get it fixed and we'll get to work. Back to work tonight and tomorrow.
Speaker 2: MM.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Nick Sirianne, WHOA the Philadelphia Eagles started ten to one, but I've lost four and four or five coming apart at the seams. It seems this year inconsistent on offense, defense has turned into a mess with Matt Patricia being tasked to fix things up.
Speaker 2: So that tells you a lot.
Speaker 1: And now we're gonna be joined by a guest who knows this team as well as anyone who's been on the show before a friend of the show. Now with Allphilly dot com a l l P h l y dot com covering the Eagles, it's Bow Wolf Bow, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 8: I got to say the last time I was on, the first time was was I was on paternity leave after the birth of my daughter. This was twenty twenty, so you know, eagles despair cells, I guess, but I gotta I gotta thank you guys, because you know, we all, we all like measure time in different ways. I look at my daughter growing into the you know, the dynamo she is today, you know, you know, just this this force of nature, and all of that time, three years and two months or so, it's been in the back of my mind.
Speaker 7: Am I on the hit it and quit it one and done with. I can be a more present father.
Speaker 2: You are definitely not now.
Speaker 3: We just needed the egos to start. H I left falling apart.
Speaker 1: I'm picturing bo like all these great milestones of having a young child, and you're just and your wife's there and you're just looking off into the middle distance during first birthdays and all these Christmas and all that stuff, wondering will they call again?
Speaker 8: Now you're there, my my, maybe my resolution should have been to be a more present father, and you guys are giving me that now because now I can put that to bed.
Speaker 4: Well, it's yeah, that's what we do to help you know our guests, and you are you're back on a second visit, so you're a good guest.
Speaker 1: And Bo, just I took a big hits in my integrity at the end of the last segment with the whole Kobe Turner nose tackle debacle.
Speaker 2: You have a connection to Turner. I understand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I figured you were doing that on purpose. We're doing wake Forest here, we got we gotta go. Deek's conversation. Greg Dortch lights up the Eagles last week. We can just make that the whole segment.
Speaker 7: If you want.
Speaker 2: And you knew that he wasn't a nose tackle.
Speaker 7: Right, well, of course, you know, all good Demon Deacons know that.
Speaker 2: Damn it, damnit.
Speaker 1: Tim Duncan knows. All right, let's talk Eagles, Let's do it. What's going on? What the hell, as Vince Lombardi once said, what the hell's going on out there?
Speaker 2: Is this team?
Speaker 1: And they were someone who's asked I wish I could remember who it is right now? Is the team still believe in the direction of the head coach? And and it was answered in a way like, don't even bring that up. Do you feel like there's something internally building when this team that could potentially blow How bad is it right now.
Speaker 2: With the Eagles?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 8: And I think the thing that like gave that all away was the decision to you know, fire but not fire Sean Decai in favor of Matt Patricia. I mean, there's a there's a saying that Fletcher Cox likes to say, which he's he's shared with us on our on our podcast, which is the commer. You are the commer, we are, right, And so like longevity wise, keeping the temperature of the team wise, you want a guy who's who's sort of steady, And that decision at that point in the season when yeah, you came off two blowout losses to the Niners and Cowboys, and there's some understanding that you know, maybe they were looking at that decision at some point during the bye week, but to go from Sean Decai, keep him around and sort of like do the embarrassing thing of you know, making him be on TV upstairs, and then bring in Matt Patricia, who does not have a great track record as a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 7: He's not calling this defense, and you.
Speaker 8: Set it up so that, okay, he gets to play Drew Locke, and then you know Tommy Cutlets and then this Cardinals team that's very bad and okay, the defense should look better, and then they come out and put out like the worst defensive performance of the season against the Cardinals. They give up four touchdowns on those four second half possessions.
Speaker 7: Like, I think there is I think there is some rot.
Speaker 8: And you think about, like why that decision would have been made, right, Is it either Sirianni, you know, being a little bit defensive about what is going on with the team and thinking that he has to make a change. Is it the input of Howie Roseman or Jeffy Leurry, people from above?
Speaker 7: Whatever. The answer is, neither is suggestive of longevity.
Speaker 8: And so I don't think that that means that, you know, Nick Sirianni is definitely on the hot seat when the season is over.
Speaker 7: But I think if you look at some of the like the body.
Speaker 8: Language stuff that goes on on the sidelines and some of the conversations that are being had about the predictability of the offense, and you think back to the decision that you know, Jeffy Leary made to move on from Doug Peterson after twenty twenty. What he said was like, deserve has nothing to do with this. It's it's like, how do we move forward? And so like Nick Sirianni deserves to still be the head coach of the team based on how good he has been over the course of three years. But if they don't get the answers that they want at the end of the season, and certainly they know more about the dynamics in the locker room than we do, then like, knowing the history of this organization, I don't think it's insane.
Speaker 3: Wow, I was fascinated. It was a couple weeks back bo you guys. I think it was after their second straight loss. You guys even then on your podcast titled the pod something like should Sirianni be on the hot seat? I was like, whoa pho, I go it all hot take like, wip over there you and Zach Well.
Speaker 7: I will share with you, Zach, Zach. You know my partner, Zach Erman.
Speaker 8: He did not like that and I can't any later, right, well, And the idea was to indulge the worst case scenario, and at that point, like the worst case scenario was like there's no way they're going to lose three of the next four. But then they lose to the Seahawks and the Cardinals, and you see the way that things have gone. I sort of the way that I framed it is that like this season has been like they are speed running the post twenty seventeen collapse and so like the first third of the season was like the twenty eighteen season, when they were still good, getting by on winning close games and like a borderline of contender. The middle part of the season was like twenty nineteen when they were relying on all these old guys and like just okay enough to make the playoffs. And then the twenty twenty season was like doubling down on all these people who brought them input in the coaching staff, all of this turmoil, and all of a sudden things blow up. So you know, my sense is like most of the players in the locker room still like Nick Sirianni. I think there is enough of a track record of him being a very good coach, Like I think he has been an underrated coach for the first two years of his career. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he did last year. But like the I think the long term concern with Nick was like all of the highs and lows, is that something that is going to last for a long time we're seeing right now?
Speaker 7: Is that working? I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think it's going to be like, what is your plan to fix things? If this goes as bad as it looks like it may go, and if they don't get the answers they like. Remember when they fired Doug Peterson, it was like a week after the end of the season, they said that he was coming back, and then they sort of went back and changed their mind.
Speaker 7: We'll see, We'll sort of see what happens.
Speaker 4: I thought it was interesting, I mean to have the moment of complete meltdown happened against Jonathan Gannon's Arizona Cardinals team where they controlled the ball for forty minutes. That's unusual for an Eagles defense in our time doing the show or as an Eagles fan in general. And Shane Steichen is Coach of the Year material in Indianapolis, so part of the job of a head coach is to find the best people to take over when coordinator absences occur. I mean, I always thought that if anything, Brian Johnson, who had been tagged as Jalen Hurts is you know, friend and coach and mentor going back to high school, that's seen about as seamless as it could be. And it's not been the case. Hurts has been a different quarterback this year. And tell me if I'm wrong, But I feel like in some of these press conferences there seems to be almost coded language of concern about the team in general. And like Hurts a year ago was like the leader of the year and everyone talked about how he unified the entire locker room. Where are the players in all this right now in terms of like disenfranchisement, because I feel like on a weekly basis, AJ Brown is melting down, Hurts seems gloomy. It just seems like the energy around the Eagles has bottomed out.
Speaker 8: I don't think there's any doubt about that. Like vibes wise, things are not great right now. AJ Brown has declined to talk to reporters after each of the past two games. He didn't talk last week, he said, you know, if I've got nothing nice to say, I'm not going to say anything at all the Jalen Hurts of it all. I have sort of made the case that, like the team takes its personality from Jalen more so than Nick over the past couple of years. I don't think that Jalen has been the problem, but I do think, like, if we take a step back, it is fair to say, like, Okay, the degree of difficulty.
Speaker 7: For this season is very difficult.
Speaker 8: There's a reason that, you know, teams who lose in the Super Bowl do not often get back there.
Speaker 7: Like there's rest to it.
Speaker 8: There is like the adjustment of expectations and dealing with guys in the locker room. As you said, they lost both coordinators. You know, we made such a big deal last offseason about this was the first time that Jalen Hurts was going to get his second season in a row with the same offensive play caller for the first time since he was in high school. Okay, like, just because he knows Brian Johnson doesn't mean that that's going to be a seamless transition this year. But like, you know, if I'm aj Brown and I am this ultra competitive guy, and I want us to win more than anything, and I know that one of the best ways for us to win is for me to get the ball.
Speaker 7: And I'm not.
Speaker 8: Getting the ball enough, or we're like the play calling on offense or the structure is not taking advantage of me and DeVante Smith and Dallas Godded enough.
Speaker 7: I would probably be upset too.
Speaker 8: And I think that last, the second to last possession of the loss of the Cardinals was sort of telling here, right, because the defense had been getting totally run over all game long. You know that the defense doesn't stand a good chance of stopping the Cardinals here. So Jonathan Gannon, with like five and a half minutes left, makes the what I think was kind of a shrewd decision to go for the on side kick, knowing that if you don't get it, you're sort of baiting the Eagles into being a little bit conservative there to settle for the field goal because they're already within range. And the Eagles get the first play, they get a nice completion to aj Brown for like fifteen yards. The next play is a cold run and Jordan Malina gets called for holding, So now it's first and twenty and there's like, you know, four minutes left, you should still go for a touchdown. This is a bad Cardinals defense. And you've got aj Brown and DeVante Smith and Dallas Goddard, a very good offensive line and this quarterback you paid all this money to, and instead they call Jalen Hurts run read option and then a screen to Kenneth Gainwell on third and nineteen that gets DeVante Smith injured as a blocker, and like I'm.
Speaker 3: Kissing everyone here booing just as the team takes the lead with three minutes left. I don't know if I've ever heard that booing before. It booed literally as the team takes the lead with a couple It's kind of amazing.
Speaker 8: Right, If you put all this money into those players and you can't trust them to go win the game against a team that is like incentivized to lose, then what.
Speaker 7: Are we doing.
Speaker 1: It's a great call because who knows Nick Sirianni's tendency is better than Jonathan Gann and they were together every day, and you're right, he baited him into that and then sure enough it ended up getting him beat. Now you also, I keep one of the things I keep going back to because there's been obviously a lot of studying of what's wrong with the offense, why hasn't been consistent, But they invested four first round picks in that defensive front, and you know, to watch what the Cardinals are doing, and we all like James Connor.
Speaker 2: He's overcome a lot. He's a solid running back.
Speaker 1: And Michael Carter I remember back in his Jets days early on, he was a guy that had some juice to him but had been off the radar for a couple of years. But what they were able to do to the just running over this expensive, high talent front of the Eagles is another sign of what's gone wrong with the season. Like, can you help make sense of what has happened up that was supposed to be the strength of their unit.
Speaker 8: It's a it's a huge question, and it's it's the biggest problem with the Eagles this season. I think it's the biggest reason they are where they are is that the defensive line has underperformed. You know, we had Brian Baldinger on our show today, you know your boy when he's talking about how Jordan Davis is out there looking like out of shape, not trying like why is he even active? Like we're talking about the guy they drafted one spot over Kyle Hamilton, by the way, Like maybe there is a bit of a diminishing returns to investing everything in the defensive line, but it's not just Jordan Davis.
Speaker 7: These guys are underperforming.
Speaker 8: And one thing that is on my radar about like the Sean Decai experience here is the Eagles organization has for so long been very heavy about their defensive line rotations and the you know, the position coaches at defensive tackle and outside linebacker are the same as they were last year. Nick Sirianni is the same, Howie Roseman is the same, and the only different variable there is Sean Decai. And they were playing these guys way more than they had in year's pass over the first half of the season, and it's possible that that was a source of contention. You know, Josh Schwtt has played already like three hundred more snaps than he did a season ago. And if you were to tell me that this looks like a defensive line that is exhausted, that is what they sort of look like. But that's no excuse for as you said, like the defense is built around this defensive line, having all of these first former first round picks and high priced players. Meanwhile, you got Hassano Redick dropping in coverage like seven times last week. It doesn't seem like they are making use of their resources. And there haven't even been that many injuries. Like there have been some injuries. Nikobe Dean, who was the work they were counting on to be their main linebacker, is out for the season. They've had a few injuries. You know, Darius Slay has missed the past few games. But it's no excuse. I mean, they have been like the worst third down defense on third and long in the league by a mile. It's it's it's sort of hard to.
Speaker 3: Explain, right right, there's so much talk about hurts and then I look at it and I'm like, he's still been He's still played like a top ten quarterback. They have the number eight offense in the league Devo, and they have the twenty eighth defense with all those resources. That that is the story. You've had this theory like their their coordinator was supposed to be Fangio and somehow that got mess up. I actually don't even understand it was supposed to be Fanio, but the Jonathan Gannon tampering case with Arizona somehow all led to that, like what happened there? And do you think like if this goes really bad, like they either lose Sunday or they win Sunday, but then they lose the first round and it's ugly. So this is the two part question, the Fanjo thing just explained to me. And then do you think things get blown up? Blown up? Like, like where do you see the blowing up happen? Because front office also might change, like Halliby is getting Alec, Halliby's getting supposedly getting interviews you know with other organizations, Like a lot could be changing here with this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw.
Speaker 8: I think ben Standy got the Athletic had the rundown of Commander's candidates. He had Halliby there. I think he's been linked to the Chargers as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 8: First of all, the Fangio thing, you know, he was in the building last year like all season. He was sort of out of the building as a consultant, but they sort of had him on retainer and then they brought him on like full force in the playoffs to sort of have him under contract. And listen, this is it's not totally dissimilar to them having Matt Patricia this year. Like he was sort of their their plan B knowing like when they Jeffrulary once said that they in twenty twenty one, the first year that they were they were renting Jonathan Gannon, you know, they knew that he was going to get a head coach job at some point, so they had a plan B in Vic Fangio, and like we know that there is this this disconnect with the Cardinals because they had that trade, as you guys have talked about because of the tampering.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 8: Fanjio gets like offered the Dolphins job around the time of the NFC Championship game, but he doesn't take it because the reporting is that he was sort of expecting to come to Philadelphia, but Gannon doesn't talk about how likely it is for him to go to Arizona and maybe he doesn't know still, well, every like, for all intentsive purposes, the Eagles expected that again and left Fanjo was going to be their defensive coordinator and Fanjo has said as much that he was expecting that as well, and so then all of a sudden, you get in the situation where you've got to reach for somebody else, and they go for Sean Desai, who is the Fangioe disciple, and then in April or May they bring in Matt Patricia. I guess as a backup plan.
Speaker 7: And I don't know.
Speaker 8: It's hard to know exactly whether that decision to change things mid season was a Syriani decision or Howie Roseman or Jeffrey Learry decision, but it's it's indicative of they were never really all in. I think setting aside, like putting him on TV, which is just like because you're sort of just embarrassing the guy. It's it's hard to get over. And then if things go really badly, if they if they lose in the first round, you know, on the road to an NFC South team. I mean, I think that it's a difficult conversation between Jeffrey Leary and Howi Rosamond and Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 7: About what do you need to change?
Speaker 8: And I think they obviously need to make wholesale changes on defense. My understanding is everybody in the building really likes matth Patricia, and to me from the outside, it's a hard sell to sort of hand things over to him. But maybe they're thinking that if he gets to build the defense the way he wants that, then it changes something on offense. I think they sort of they need at the very least fresh perspective.
Speaker 7: And you saw them do this.
Speaker 8: They try to do this in twenty twenty that brought in like Rich Scangarello to be the like Kyle Shanahan whispered, like marrying the run game in the passing game. One thing you see about the Segos offense, and it goes to the like the lack of creativity with it, Like they run motion at the lowest rate in the league. There are no real easy buttons. They're terrible against zero blitzes. They need fresh perspective, and so maybe that's you know, Nick Sirianni's saying, I agree with that, I need to get back to the drawing board. Who are some people I know around the league. It's not a new problem to have, like the brain drain of backfilling your coaching staff after losing your top lieutenant. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to bring somebody else in again, Like Deserve doesn't necessarily.
Speaker 7: Have anything to do with it.
Speaker 8: I think if there is real dissension in the locker room between the players and Nick Sirianni, you know Howie Roseman is going to choose the players over the coaches. And I think that what we know, like of a decade of watching the way the organization is run, is that the reason they think they are successful is because of what they do, you know, personnel wise, I think that of the three most important people in the organization, Sirianni, Hurts and Roseman, Sirianni is the least important.
Speaker 7: In Jeffery Larry's mind.
Speaker 2: Well, Dom Dom is Fern naturally.
Speaker 7: Listen this all this losing Street Cohen science with.
Speaker 2: Dom Curse of Dom, I've floated it.
Speaker 1: By the way, there's a different team seemingly every January.
Speaker 2: That's like having the same conversation.
Speaker 1: Man, I really like Matt, Like he's a good guy around, He's a friendly guy. I don't know if we need to have him around though.
Speaker 8: Meanwhile, like that there's there's been this long feud between I mean, Darius Lay and Matt Patricia.
Speaker 7: Like you meet Darius Lay.
Speaker 8: The first day you meet him, the first thing you find out is he doesn't want to be called Darius, call him slay. The second thing you find out is he hates Matt Patricia and then they bring in Matt Patricia. Now they say that you know they have mentioned those fences. Sleigh says, everything is fine. You know, they hug on the field before the game. But like it goes to tell you that stars every side of the organization caring about every other side.
Speaker 2: Right, No, he calls him Darius. That's why. That's why it happened.
Speaker 1: And now I'll put you on the spot before we say goodbye, and check out bo at Allphilly dot com, where they do great coverage of the team you mentioned it. They're most likely, unless the Cowboys gag, which is certainly always possible, they're going to be on the road against the NFC South winner the first weekend of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Let's say things go sideways.
Speaker 1: Baker in the Bucks thirty one, Eagles seventeen, all sorts of breakdowns on both sides of the ball, all that bad body language, It all comes out during the late stages of the game. Pressers are pretty woeful in terms of what people are saying. The Energy's terrible percentage chance. Nick Sirianni is the head coach gets fired after an event like that cataclysmic flashpoint.
Speaker 2: Focus it for us percentage.
Speaker 7: You didn't get me in trouble with Zach. I think I'm gonna go in that situation.
Speaker 2: Yes, that exact sage.
Speaker 3: I mean, he doesn't listen to this show thirty one seventeen bucks.
Speaker 7: I'm going sixty to forty whoa, he go.
Speaker 3: I mean that's a lot of ifs to get to that point.
Speaker 1: We won't We're not gonna pull it for social pullet for social No, we won't do that to you, BO.
Speaker 2: But I just wanted to ask.
Speaker 3: You that I'm giving you the same odds BO if what we thought might be an annual occurrence. We have a tennis rematch at this super Bowl off the Eagles somehow snick in. I don't know if Dan even knows this, but me, You're tennis with me and me and Bo. It was probably the most fun I had in here, So I want to bring it up unless he won. So now I lost both. Hear me in a big spot, big server. I could still move, but the lack of tennis playing over the last twenty some od years came back to haunt me and he took care of me.
Speaker 8: Well, you're used to taking down taking down Walker, right, it's a little bit a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Greg often has stated he was like a tennis champion where he was from my team. Well, what does that say about Bo?
Speaker 3: He's a big hitter, hitter.
Speaker 2: It lays out the truth. Wow, And I think I.
Speaker 7: Think I might actually be in the Super Bowl this year. I think we're doing shows there.
Speaker 3: For we can do it.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to watch. I would need a couple of drinks, but I feel like we could play.
Speaker 4: Tennis a podcast nearly weren't invited to watch the first time. So this is another one. Yes, any great super Bowl week?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm sure you were going to get into uber on Saturday morning, out to something that's old folks home where we was a really great setup.
Speaker 2: Was not a great Saturday is going to be.
Speaker 8: My three yearld's making all this noise upstairs. I'm sure you can hear. She's probably be wondering, are you going to finally pay attention to me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 1: Appreciate me, Daddy, go do that, but thanks, buddy, appreciate you.
Speaker 7: See about Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: All right, another big performance in Bo wull never never under consideration for hit it and quit it.
Speaker 2: Just we waited for the right moment to bring him back.
Speaker 4: But we're so vague about who's on the bad list that if you hadn't been brought back, it would go through your mind.
Speaker 3: He's in a tough spot because you know there one of MIAs optic teams. Colleen kind of handles the Eagles situation, so it's tough. It's tough to break in there.
Speaker 4: I think if I was playing singles, it's one of the hosts of the show Singles Tennis, Like, I'd assume I'm in on the good list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, but I he if he listens to if Bo listens to the show, he knows I'm not the one making that list. Ultimately, I can contribute, but uh, what does that mean you're making the list? I don't make the list. Listen if you get if you are who's making the list? Mark?
Speaker 4: I mean I would say I have a y. There is fair little controversy between us about who's on that.
Speaker 1: There is consensus we're not going to be There's never been one one of you guys like no, he's good. It's like no, no, Like usually.
Speaker 2: We're on the same page. It's a short list.
Speaker 1: I could think of one in particular. Yes, by the way I figured out what it is about it, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what's one you mean, because I can think of two.
Speaker 1: All right, go ahead, Uh oh, yeah, No, I know what you're talking about. The thing about it is because I want to make sure we're on the same page with in terms of credits for production on Flash by Focus.
Speaker 3: That's imperative.
Speaker 1: I think what it is that we're we're bumping up against CESTAG is that Greg really is important to it, and it's almost like to take it and frame it in like a TV show.
Speaker 2: He's like the talent.
Speaker 1: He's like a real talent in the writer's room.
Speaker 2: But there's also he's kind of a ratic.
Speaker 1: He's like very confident, very kind of shoots from the lip and gets some people uncomfortable. There's been a couple of inner offense Roman inter office romances that went sideways.
Speaker 3: He crashed a second.
Speaker 1: He crashed a Porsche after the holiday party one year, you know, and there's just like he's such a talent and we want to promote him and keep him within the enterprise. We do, but there's always just these things in the back of our mind, like we don't want to create a monster or feed the monster, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that. You know, it's when you give Greg a little bit of power, you start to become concerned with what can unfold at that point, and you know, we sort of see it in various tangible ways, even with this production.
Speaker 1: I'm a weirdo, but you know what I mean, right, Like, it's not personal, it's just I want to make sure like this, this is such a valuable property.
Speaker 3: You're threatened a little bit. You're threatened.
Speaker 2: I think you're a little around.
Speaker 4: You're using a guiding hand, Dan, like a fatherly guiding hand.
Speaker 1: You don't want We see it. Yeah, we see it. We see what's happening, and we're like, can we control this? Yeah, I mean I know the answer to that. Look, he's about to say something else annoying.
Speaker 3: You're like, uh, your officer winslow on on whatever that show is. You don't want to Urkle taken over. You know, you don't want to become the Erkele Show. Okay, so you framed yourself as Steve Erkele here, family matters, Family matters.
Speaker 1: Carl, Yeah, Carl Winslow got he got banged that actor because he was coming off die Hard and they were like, oh, we got a vehicle for you. You're gonna host like this very family friendly sitcom on ABC. And he's like that sounds great and uh and he becomes the star until Erkele shows up and Greg has positioned himself as the Erkele you know I do that, and all of a sudden it was Erkele, Erkele merch and everything hung on Urkle.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, well wait, so I'm not a I'm not a religious watcher of that show.
Speaker 2: While do you want to know who you are?
Speaker 4: Did he not appear like early in the show, like did he come in?
Speaker 2: Merkle was?
Speaker 1: Initially he would show up every once in a while, And no, you are not, because I know you sometimes get worried you're not the They had one that just disappeared on that show, that's not you.
Speaker 2: How did you disappear?
Speaker 1: I always liked that was gone when they're just like, this isn't work. Do you have a grandma or the daughter someone one day was just gone? Written now the scratch any.
Speaker 2: Family matters watchers behind the glass that show?
Speaker 4: I mean they don't know. They probably just waiting, probably like looking at their clocks right now.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it.
Speaker 3: Anything else good, good show got the big Thursday previews.
Speaker 1: It was fine be minus minus say really good though strong mind.
Speaker 6: B.
Speaker 1: I think it was good be minus. That seems fair good, it's fair, I mean unfair. You're saying it's unfair.
Speaker 3: I think that's a that's the level we've been at. That's our level eleven years. Why go a hid?
Speaker 2: Why go for change?
Speaker 4: Nothing from last year to this year?
Speaker 1: So all right until let's see what is today Tuesday, Tuesday World, We'll see you on Thursday with the week eighteen preview, hopefully another B minustill then heed the call