Speaker 1: Hey everybody. I'm Jenny Garth and I am joined today on the Mommy and Me podcast by my me. This is my little me.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm the me. I'm Luca Bella. I'm Jenny's oldest daughter.
Speaker 1: You're my first little baby me. Yes, it's your first, my first born. We are taking over Bethany's podcast today. This is pretty fun.
Speaker 2: It's just like hanging out. Though I purposely didn't call you earlier because I was like, we gotta have some juice for the for the pod. I call you like choice to day three times a day before before noon.
Speaker 1: For those of the of you that don't know, Luca is living in New York City now and I'm living in California, So we're a by coastal mommy and me.
Speaker 2: Longest and relationship. We make it work.
Speaker 1: We make it work.
Speaker 2: We we're honestly together a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We zoom while I'm driving, which is probably not a good idea. We zoom while we're making dinner at our different houses. Anytime you go on the subway, I feel like you zoom me because then I have a panic attack.
Speaker 2: Also, it's like very loud and you're like, why are you going me? At the loudest moment.
Speaker 1: That's the worst. But every time you go to the subway and you're I can hear you like click click click, like walking downstairs. I can hear like the thing, like the money when you put the card, and the like turnstile thing. And then I can hear you standing there waiting, and my mind is just racing with all the bad things that could happen to you down there. And then this is the best part. We'll be talking mid sentence, I'll just lose you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll cut out. Yeah, sorry, let the subway.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, But you know what happens to my mommy brain at that point, I'm like full blown panic. What someone's pushed her onto the tracks, There's been a gunfight, I don't know. I think of the worst possible scenarios when that happens.
Speaker 2: Usually I'm just hanging up on you. I'm sorry. I do abruptly out a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, you are a big girl. I guess I should let you take the subway.
Speaker 2: I you know, I am out here hustling. I'm out here grinding, so every day you never.
Speaker 1: Know, You're not kidding. Living in New York City is a ussle. It's a grind.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They say that New York is hard on the body, but Ela is hard on the soul. They say, I've heard that. I think it's funny because La is a little dryer. I feel like New York you just get like so much culture and so much you know, energy. So I feel like it's a really good place for me at this chapter in my life, but definitely definitely a harder place to live.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Every time I come to visit you in New York's city, we walk at least fourteen thousand steps in a day.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like I'm hard on you, and we come because I really love to walk, so you do, Oh it's only two blocks away, and then I'll there minutes later. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing we all know about you is you lie about how far our destination is. Because you'll say it's two blocks, and in two blocks, I'll be like, are we here yet? You say no, no, no, it's just two more blocks. And that happens over and over and over, and Yeah. I don't know why you do that. I guess you don't want me to know how far it is, because you know, I'll be like, let's get in a taxi.
Speaker 2: I feel like it feels like two blocks to me, but to other people.
Speaker 1: Well, your legs are really long, right, and you are so used to that life, like I'm used to getting in my car to go wherever I want.
Speaker 2: I feel like you have a pretty good setup when you ride around. You have your music, you have your dogs, like I wish I'm fighting to the New York cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have a lot of respect for you, Luca. I mean I have a lot of respect for you just because you're amazing, but also because you make living in New York City look easy, and I know it's not easy.
Speaker 2: To My mom is telling me I should start like a TikTok on how to live in New York for five dollars a day, because.
Speaker 1: I definitely yeah, tell them.
Speaker 2: I've been known to stretch a dollar in New York City.
Speaker 1: You are a magician when it comes to cash money, Like, I don't know how you do it. You don't. This girl can literally live in New York City on five dollars a week if she wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you killer problem.
Speaker 1: But where do you think that that ability came from?
Speaker 2: You're good a budget. You always taught me to be smart with money, But I just also just like I feel like I have like a less a zest for life, Like I like to like do a lot. So it's about like getting as much done as possible, and you know, you got to stretch it when you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can get into any door with that smile of yours and your personality. You can get into any museum for free. Like, I don't know how you do it. You're a master at all of that. I have a lot of respect for you.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of respect for you. I feel like that's one of my favorite things about our adult mother daughter relationship is that it's founded on really great mutual respect. And I don't really know when that started. Do you remember, because I feel like we've always been really close. But I feel like as I've gotten older and you've gotten older, it's just really deepened in a really beautiful way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, first of all, I haven't gotten older.
Speaker 2: You are a rich one. No.
Speaker 1: I We've always had such a good relationship. You were the baby, you were the first child that your dad and I had, and we were so young, Oh my god, So it was like we were growing up together. I think that's probably one of the things that bonded us the most, and when I had you, like nothing else mattered. All that mattered was spending time with you. So we spent so much time together.
Speaker 2: But I still feel like you're that way, like anytime we have time off or any time you're not working, like we're together or we're making plans to meet up somewhere and have an adventure, Like I think that's something you really made a value in your motherhood, is presence and being there and always showing up. And yeah, I just really am inspired by that.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks Lou. Yeah, it's really hard on me having you live in New York, I'll be honest, but you already know that I tried not to put it on you.
Speaker 2: I love how you text me every night or at least every day once a day and like saco nay or check in. Like, I still feel like you're very present in my life.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I think that's called helicopter mom.
Speaker 2: No, I think you're the opposite. I don't think you ever were like super involved in like my decisions. I think you're very like hands off, And that's going back to the mutual respect thing. It's like you just trust me to make the best decisions for myself. And yeah, I just I love your parenting style. I hope if I'm ever a mommy that can be as good mommy as you thought.
Speaker 1: I can't wait till you're a mommy.
Speaker 2: Told me many times. I'm alone.
Speaker 1: I like babies.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, you're right, just wait, keep waiting.
Speaker 1: But going back to that thing about parenting, I I was looking through my old journals the other day and I saw this part about like I don't know, I was talking about being a parent, and I was kind of defined my rule as a parent. It's if I imagine a ping No, no, what's that thing? Your dad has one with Elvis on it? The machine, the.
Speaker 2: Player ping pong ball, pinball.
Speaker 1: Pinball, pinball, Yes, if you have a okay, So it's like a pinball machine, right, and I'm standing I'm playing it, and I'm standing there, and I have the two buttons on the side and they control the flippers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I launched you out, No, no, no, I can only flippers. I launched you out of the huote that little thing you pull back and you're like ding. And when you go into the world into the ping ball machine, and you ding did ding ding ding, did ding ding ding ding ding, And then when you come down to me, I'm right there to push my little flippers to like get you back up there. And I feel like that's all. That's all I'm supposed to do as a mom, is just keep you going on your life and be there to help you and keep you from falling down on the shoes.
Speaker 2: I don't want to fall down there.
Speaker 1: No, So that's that's my parenting analogy for the day. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: No, it's really really true, and I think it's kind of rare because I have a lot of friends and you know, even family members where their parents are way more involved, and I feel like you're just what you said, like somebody to kind of like support but not be two hands on.
Speaker 1: You know, I have so much respect for each of you girls, you and your sisters, because I know what is inside of you, and I know what each of you are capable of, and I know what each of your strong suits are and where you need a little bit more, you know, guidance or support, and and I really think that having that support and that respect, having that respect for your your young teenagers or girls as they get older in life I think that's vital to a healthy mother daughter relationship because I'm not as much your mommy now as I am your friend or your sort of mentor kind of a vibe. And I really take that seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm the oldest, so I feel like you kind of spread us each like there's five years kind of between each of us, and so we're all at different chapters in our lives and we all kind of need different things. And I feel like you're really good about individualizing our parenting, like not just you know, kind of can go out making us one. So yeah, I feel like, is that hard for you as a mom to like hit our different needs at different times? You have no idea? So I feel like I always kept more in the childhood world for a long time because we're very siblings. Like Sanna came until I was like twenty one. You know it still come.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you've got five years. First of all, you got five years completely on your own, best years ever know, before your first sister Lola came along. No, but you say always that's the best gift you ever got.
Speaker 2: Best gift I ever got. And it's funny because when you told me about Lola, you were like, I'm giving you this gift, like this is a huge responsibility as a big sister, Like you'll have her as a best friend forever. And I feel like that's how I shape my whole view of being a sister, is that this is like my best friend playmate that I get to have, and you gave her to me. So I have so much to be grateful to you for.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, and then I gave you another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: You're so lucky to have. I have sisters, you know, like.
Speaker 2: That are older older than me. You're the youngest, I'm the oldest. This is they're like.
Speaker 1: Half My sisters are all half sisters. Though they have different dads, they'll have the same mom. But we're very different then, you know, we have very different lifestyles, each one of us. And I always really it was really always so important to me when I had you guys, to keep you together forever, whether you wanted it or not.
Speaker 2: But we mostly wanted it. Like I feel like to this day, like we still want to hang out all the time, like us girls, like the Garth Girls is what we call ourselves, and like we are such a unit and we've been through so much together, and I think we really value just like being strong, independent women together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I couldn't be prouder of you, baby.
Speaker 2: But that's an interesting thing because you have older sisters and I have younger sisters. So how do you think that makes us different the way we look at well, our birth order. You know, there's a there's something to theory. Yeah, birth order is like a big thing. Like you're the oldest and that's a whole different cup of tea.
Speaker 1: I'm the baby of my family.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's snotty brat sometimes.
Speaker 2: Well I think you and Fiona, who's my youngest sister, really see things similarly sometimes, and you and Williss sometimes get frustrated because we're like, hey.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I see it. Trust me.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing is you're very aware as a mommy, Like you're very in tune with like I don't know just how we see you. And I mean because you.
Speaker 1: Guys are my everything. Like work is important to me, my marriage is important to me. Yeah, and my fam my home is important to me. And that is it. Like but you guys with your other children, oh yeah them, but my fur babies. But you guys have always been my number one priority, no matter what, does not matter. And I think most moms would say that, but you don't really understand that until you become a mommy, your priorities just shift. And it's okay that I was actually relieved when I had a kid because I could shift the attention off of myself, which I'm not comfortable you know, worrying or thinking or being like too self important. You know, yeah, that was like so great for me to be able to have you guys that I could put all my love and energy into. And it's so reciprocated because everything I've ever given to you girls has been returned to me tenfold, and you guys teach me every day how to be a better person.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mom, I mean, I love you too because I missed you.
Speaker 1: I hold each other's hands, don't we We do?
Speaker 2: We do hold each other's hands. And I was going to say that you it might be normal for a mom to make their kids the priority, but I feel like you've taught us to make our family priory and to make just I feel like as a daughter, my mom my dad were always my priority to like, even in my like teenage angsty years, which were very short. I think, really, let's talk about those. I don't have like a long like teenage period, but I still think like my family was always the most important thing to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, for sure. So I have a question. Oh, yes, you know I'm doing a podcast now, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm like a super fan. I actually listened this morning on my way to work on my subway commute. I I'm such I literally, I'm so proud of you. I really love it. I feel like it's such You're just a great storyteller. It's just so you like the way you tell stories. I listened to the Dave episode, so the episode of my stepdad, and I was given a shout out.
Speaker 1: You talk about how you didn't want us to get married.
Speaker 2: Yes, that story is really funny. They like showed up at my school and we're like, hey, we're getting married. And I was eating my little sushi bowl that you brought me with my chopsticks, and I was like, I do not approve.
Speaker 1: Yep, I remember, trust me, but you.
Speaker 2: Still want ahead with it. So it's right. And it was a really really beautiful wedding. And I think you obviously had way more like perspective on everything than me at seventeen, but she just wanted to protect her mommy, a little seventeen year old.
Speaker 1: I know you always do. You girls are so fiercely protective of me.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to be a dude walking in here date me or marry me.
Speaker 2: Do you remember my one rule when you were dating a little bit? No, I was like, they can come, but they have to bring us gifts to the house. Like it was like I wanted them to be like old fashioned suitors, like bring like a fruit play or like a little snack or something plight you just like snacks.
Speaker 1: Let's just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: I needed you to have like suitors like in the nineteenth century.
Speaker 1: Well you, that's the thing about you, You, Luca, are a nineteenth century like heroin You were you were you? And I love reading our period pieces, our books and watching our Buccaneer Center. What else? What other show do we just love?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get a little obsessed with things like.
Speaker 1: We see, like we choose to see life like that because it's so much prettier, just more I don't know, rewarding.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, it was very simple. It feels like a idealized time, but obviously they had their own chaos problems.
Speaker 1: I was wondering. I was asking a question I forgot about. Oh podcast, So oh yeah, but the podcast I choose.
Speaker 2: I'm a super fan, Yes, superfan.
Speaker 1: You've listened to it. You haven't been on it yet, but you will.
Speaker 2: Well, you told me this is like my audition. So that's why I'm nervous today because I want to be on yours, but I honored to be on this.
Speaker 1: What do you think about Like you're listening to me and your little ears on your subway, and it's just me and you in that moment, you're the only one listening to it, But actually the entire world can listen to what I'm saying, And sometimes I think of that. I'm like, whoa first of all, but also what do you think of it? As my daughter?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you feel with me putting myself out there in such a vulnerable way and talking about things I've never talked about and talking about our lives?
Speaker 2: I think it takes immense courage. I think that I just really, I'm proud of you for telling me your story, and I'm excited to see you where else you go with it. I'm excited to hear stories I've never heard before because obviously I am your daughter and one of your closest friends, but there's probably still some story that I've never heard, so I'm excited to hear those. And I'm it's just like you get to live in my ears right like all day when I'm like all so, but it's just it's been fun so far. So I'm excited for the gross and I really love the messaging of it about choosing yourself first, and that's something that you have always instilled in me as a daughter, putting my strength and myself first. Yeah, so I'm excited for other people who need to learn that wisdom too, to get to learn and hear more from your experiences.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like I've always taught you guys that that you are the director of your life. You are the CEO of your company called you you. It's you are in charge. And I've always wanted to make sure you girls know that and like live your life leading with that because you have everything it takes to go out in the world and do whatever you want. And I've always really tried to make you guys feel confident and strong and know also how to be safe in a world that isn't always welcoming to confident and strong women.
Speaker 2: And like the day to day as you were talking about in the beginning of this kind of beats you down. It's just hard in the real world. And I feel like just coming back to the foundation that you gave us and like a little reminder. Now it's a podcast when I get to listen to your advice on repeat, and it's just the daily little reminder that I need, you know, to keep my head up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, you are also really talented writer, and I turned to you often for things.
Speaker 2: You a little bit, but honestly, like you are doing it on your own, Like this is such a passion project for you, and I'm just really proud to support you. Like sometimes I write little messages before she'll record the podcast, but I feel like it's just like inspiration for you to jump off of because it's all there. And yeah, I feel like you're just a really good interviewer too, Like I love hearing you in conversation with other people, so I'm excited to hear even more and all the guests you'll have on in the future. It's just the beginning the beginning, just the beginning. Yeah, I love that this show exists, So thank you Beth and for creating it, because it's really cool to hear like all the different mother daughter duos. And I know that this show is just starting too, so I'm excited to see where this grows, because Yeah, I just feel like mother and daughter relationships are so special, and yeah, I feel like they're they're all so different. It's just interesting to hear that the line seems a lot of different mommy and daddy to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a really different relationship with my mom than any of you have with me, and I I think I've really done that intentionally because the relationship I have with my mom. I love my mom. My Mom's one of the smartest people I know. She has taught me everything I know and more, and I have so much respect for her and what she's done over the course of her life. Now, of course, she's in her eighties and it's hard, you know, to watch me me getting older, and but she's always been such a fire cracker, so full of it.
Speaker 2: I wonder where gem I know my mom is.
Speaker 1: Like a deep, deep river and had I didn't really value that as much as I do now, because I don't know why. I was just probably like I always felt like maybe not the best daughter because I didn't really let my mom in as much as I make you guys let me in.
Speaker 2: I feel like that relationship has definitely ebbed and flowed where there were periods where she was less involved in your life. I think you've made it a priority where you want to be like super involved in all three of our lives, you know, yeah, yeah, but yeah, it's interesting generationally because my Memi and I have our own separate relationship, then you and your mom, you know, like that's your mom, but it's also my grandmother, and it's just interesting to see like the generations of women and.
Speaker 1: What a great Memi you have. She taught you to read so early, remember, I.
Speaker 2: Know, and you were working a lot when I was very very little. So if we have anything maybe grateful for it is that she was right there and she was very present and helpful for you when we were working so hard. And yeah, that's another huge reason that I have a lot of respect for you, is because you were a super mom, Like you were literally taking me to set with you and making time to be a mother amongst like the craziness of filming, the long hours that you did when you're shooting now, I don't know, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would wake you up at like five am. We'll try to not wake you up at one month old. Yeah, get you strapped into a car seat in the dark, take you to work in the dark. And you're Nina. Who when when Mimi wasn't on the job, it was Nina. And Nina's been with us and she's helped me raise you girls. She's like a second mom to me and I know to you guys.
Speaker 2: But for Mother's Day, we celebrate you Mina and me. That's right anyway. So yeah, you'd take me to work with you, which is crazy because you were literally working on a teen show. So that must have been like the disorienting so weird.
Speaker 1: I was, like, you know, Kelly Taylor, like hot stuff, And meantime, my boobs were hurting because it was time to go back to the trailer and feed you.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: It was really the weirdest time for me because I didn't I didn't have the same identity that I had a month earlier, and I and nobody.
Speaker 2: Was your like maternal leave or like break or did you not want one?
Speaker 1: Literally? Man, Yeah, for all of you, I think, oh except Fiona. I had a little more time with Fiona before I went back to work. But yeah, it was like I was living two lives. I was living like the life of you know, young little starlet Kelly Taylor whatever, playing actress. And then I.
Speaker 2: Would whatever drama she was going through, Yeah, she went through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I would after they would call cut, I would run literally back to wherever you were the baby trailer and I would be like, Okay, let me give her to me, let me feed her, like I wanted to be with you all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you made me a priority, which is kind of going back to choosing, like what was important to you, and you just chose to have me be part of the deal. You know, I was going it was a two for Yeah. And you did that with Lola too, which is like, it's just hard to be working mom. A lot of them, a lot of moms have to go through that, like balancing work and real life.
Speaker 1: It's so so much more than people even know or give it, give women and mom's credit for. And I was so fortunate and blessed to be able to take my girls with me to work and bring someone along like Nina or Mimi to help me while when I did have to go to set, and I was very fortunate to be in that position, because so often women aren't able to take their children to work with them, or there's no childcare available. And I think that that's something we should all We should definitely change, you know, societal because babies belong with their mommies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still, I still feel like I.
Speaker 1: Could talk to you all day long, Luca Bella.
Speaker 2: I feel like we usually do.
Speaker 1: Did you know your name is Luca Bella?
Speaker 2: Okay, so that this is actually a problem in my life because my parents have given me an identity crisis. Who were like, I don't know how to spell my name and my mom spells it because.
Speaker 1: Your dad and I. Another one of the things that we don't agree with.
Speaker 2: Is giving me some very difficult paperwork and legal issues, all thanks to you.
Speaker 1: Well, your name is Luca Bella, girth Faction Elli. And don't you forget it.
Speaker 2: It's a full title. Your name is Jennifer Eve Garth. That's it, Abrams.
Speaker 1: No, Well, I guess marital maritally legal, yes, But I kept I always kept my own name. I hope you guys will too.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, that's your title. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't really get why a woman needs to give up her name just because she gets married. That's never made sense to me.
Speaker 2: Sometimes peopel like the sound the ring of a new last that's something fun, Like what if you were like Jennifer Jones. There's something like really fun. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it's your choice. You can change your name, whatever you want.
Speaker 2: To choose, whatever you want to choose, you to choose whatever shipped to steer h But I'm just really excited for all that to come, and hopefully I did a good job and you'll have me on.
Speaker 1: Yes, you've you've passed, you've passed the audition. You've won the role as my daughter.
Speaker 2: I love you, I love you.